World of the dead | Teen Ink

World of the dead

By Kimani Lindsey, springville, Utah
Kimani Lindsey, Springville, Utah

Author's note:

I was inspired to write this story because im in a creative writing class.

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

I wake up to screams and shouts. My head hurts, I sit up in my hospital bed as my eyes adjust to the bright light above me. I look down at the rotting flesh on my arm, the purple skin peeling away makes me want to puke. The doctor told me it could just be Necrosis, but he also said it is one of the first signs of infection so to be safe my mother admitted me here to this dump they call a hospital. Basically It sucks, and I hate it here. Technically I don't have the disease, yet but the new law says that all citizens who develop signs of infection are to be quarantined in a local hospital. I dont even know why they made that stupid law, like the government doesn't want the disease to kill off half of America. They are the ones who started this disease in the first place! The screaming continues.
“This wasn't supposed to happen yet.”  I hear a woman's voice say faintly in the room next door.
“The infection spread quicker than normal,” says a familiar voice.  I realize they are talking about Timmy. Of course it was Timmy, his room is right next to mine.  Timmy was one of the first people I met when I first came here. He was nice, and he gave me cigarette money. The doctor tells me I can't smoke because there is a chance that it could speed up the infection but I don't listen. I used Timmy for a lot of things. We were kind of friends, and I think he had a thing for me.
His only symptom was loss of appetite, but he quickly developed dysarthria which meant his speech started to slur and he had a lot of blood loss. The last time I saw him was just two days ago. I brought him a couple video games and we watched Fast and the Furious 23 (they need to stop making those movies). I didn't realize how crappy his body had become until that  night. His skin was rotting just like mine but a thousand times worse, and his pupils looked dilated.
“Hey Timmy, how much time you got left before you go full zombie?” I asked him.
“Zoe, we aren’t turning into zombies.”
“Yeah we are!” I cut him off.
“Fine, whatever,” he says. “The doc told me I've got a couple more months.”
We sit in silence for a while and then he asks me “ What do you think it'll be like once the infection takes over and we turn? Do you think we will be the same on the inside?”
I think for a while. “ I don't know Tim, I don't know” 
Those were the last words I said to him and now it sounds like he’s turned to the other side. Gone, not dead but gone. I wish I could go over and see him. Yeah, I only used him so I could buy cigarettes, But I felt bad. I'm a tough girl, but things like this make me feel sad.   

I turn on my side and look out the hospital window as Timmy’s room becomes silent. Huh, what’s new? Its just a little after 9 in the morning, the sun should be shining and the sky should be blue. But ever since the nuclear war, nothing’s been the same. The sky is a light brown and there is no one outside. It all started about 8 years ago when Russia nuked New York and spread tons of diseases across the nation. The radiation killed half of the population of New York instantly, and made thousands of people sick, and along the way the sickness mutated to this horrible disease that basically made you a zombie!
Not living dead zombies, that try to eat your brains, those are stupid. These zombies are scary! They look just like you think a zombie would look like, but probably a trillion times worse. Your eyes would turn a dark black, your skin would peel and rot, you would loose your appetite and not want to eat, your speech would slur and your brain would shut down. But worst of all, you would get a craving for human flesh and want to eat them.
If you were to get bit by one of these “ Zombies” then you would die instantly, you wouldn't get the infection. The infection is spread by sickness and disease, so if you got bit you would just die on the spot. The government didn't care what was going on. They were in a nuclear war with Russia and didn't realize they were destroying our population and ecosystem along the way. the war ended up only lasting two years but that was enough to kill everything. I missed the animals. When I was little I wanted to become a veterinarian, I loved animals and I loved caring for them. But all my dreams came tumbling down when this war started. with the Plants dead and animals dead everyone was issued a gas mask to breathe whenever we go outside, I hate that stupid gas mask. It makes me so angry. The world was once a beautiful place.  I try not to think about it, I want to cry but I dont.  I mean people have lost their lives and families, and I’m crying about plants and animals.
I suddenly hear a knock at the door and then a nurse entered the room. Right away I realize she is a robot. When the disease became a big issue people started selling robots to businesses so they could replace them with humans. Personally I love having robot nurses; its pretty cool. “ Matthews, Zoe?” She says in a robotic voice. “ Yes” I say. She enters the room and proceeds with my daily routine. She gives me a shot and checks my arm. Her robotic eyes scan my rotting arm. “Thank you” she says. “ Are you hungry?”
“Yes.”  The only words the robot recognizes is yes and no. If you say anything other than that and the doctor is called into the room. “ Breakfast will be delivered to your room” and with that she leaves. I look over at the desk next to my bed and I see my medical chart.
ZOE MATTHEWS
        ADMITTED: 8/21/2097
                                              SYMPTOMS: ROTTING FLESH
                                   POSITIVE FOR INFECTION: UNDETERMINED
I’m glad I’m not positive for infection yet. I haven't given up, and I'm not going to give up. I get lost in my thoughts and start to fall asleep again.  I have a horrible dream: I'm on a beach and I'm with my mom. The world is still green and the animals are still alive, she tells me to look at her new t-shirt she is wearing. I look and I get a sick feeling in my stomach. I feel light and my vision  becomes blurry. My body moves on its own and I realize that  i'm walking towards her. “ Zoe,  what are you doing!” And I bite her.

I wake up all sweaty and my heart is racing. I look down at my arm and I realize my arm is worse than it was before, in fact both my arms were rotting away. My eyes widen, I swear under my breath. No no this can't be happening. Theres a knock at the door and I know it is the robot nurse back with my breakfast. Breakfast. Uh-oh. Im not hungry. A sign of infection. I was hungry just a few minutes ago. the nurse walks in and says “ Here you go” she sets the tray on my lap, toast spread with butter and sausage. The hospital somehow has access to the finest meats and vegetation. My stomach gets this nasty feeling in my stomach . “ eat” she says.
If I don't take a bite of my food then the nurse will alert the doctor to come and check on me. “ Ok” I say. I take some sausage and pop it into my mouth. I want to throw up. I chew and give the nurse a grin. she scans me for a second and then leaves without saying anything. I spew the chewed up sausages out of my mouth. I feel nauseous. I decide to stand up and walk to the bathroom just a few feet away. when I get there I run to the toilet and try to throw up. But nothing comes out. My vision becomes blurry. I know its coming. The infection is here and I'm turning.
Suddenly I feel a rumble beneath my feet. The whole hospital is shaking and I think I am just hallucinating, but then the fire alarms start to ring. A robot nurse comes into my room and says “ Exit now” She walks into the bathroom and sees me laying on the floor. “ ALERT” she says.  She knows I have the infection but no doctor is going to come now because everyone is trying to get out. “ALERT, INFECTION DETECTED” she says in her monotone voice. The shaking stops and the electricity goes out and the nurse boots down. The whole hospital is silent and I can barely hear murmuring from afar. “ HELP!” I scream but no one comes to my aid. What the heck is going on? Is it a fire? Is it an earthquake? Whatever it is I realize that the building is shifting, I can feel it moving beneath me. I'm just laying here on the bathroom floor helpless and sick.
I dont want to give up but I know there is nothing I can do. I hear a rumbling coming towards me getting louder and louder and then suddenly I am thrown across the bathroom and my ears are ringing. there is fire all around me. An explosion. How am I still alive in here. the roof is falling down and there are charred pieces of crap all around me. No part of my body is hurt. Im confused, what just happened? I have to get out of here. I can hear fire trucks in the distance. I scream at the top of my lungs.  My lungs don't hurt but they should because there is dark black smoke everywhere. does this zombie “ Infection” make you immune to certain things? How am I still alive? I scream again trying to get help. I know I'm stuck in here. I have to give up. But I wont. I build up the strength and stand up. My vision is blurry but I'm standing and I start to walk. As I walk into the hallway I see that the whole hospital is in flames.
I try my hardest to run but I just can’t. I see the stairwell and notice that I'm only on the  third floor! I can make it out! I walk slowly to down the stairs it feels like forever but I finally make it to the first floor. The doors are glass and I can see police and firemen along with all the patience and nurses. Im so happy, I run to the door and I'm about to go outside when suddenly piece of the metal ceiling comes crashing down on top of me. Pain shoots up my spine and I cant feel my legs. I try to call for help but nothing comes out of my mouth. I try to keep myself awake because I'm fading out of consciousness. “Zoe!” I hear someone call. but I'm already dead.

I wake up to screams and shouts. The doctor is standing over me shaking me back to consciousness, and screaming for me to wake up. My eyes are wet. I've been crying. the doctor takes a deep breath of relief. “What’s going on?” I say in a tired voice. “ It sounds like you had a terrible nightmare!”  The doctor said. I look down at my arm to see only one spot of rotting flesh. It was all a dream. I laugh out loud. “ Yeah, I did have a scary dream” it felt so real. “ you seem to be okay, do you need anything?” the doctor asks. My stomach growls. “ May I have some breakfast please?”