Book Addict | Teen Ink

Book Addict

November 2, 2014
By Kiwi_The_Awesome, Cupertino, California
More by this author
Kiwi_The_Awesome, Cupertino, California
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

 
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
 
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
 
Return
 
 
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
 
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
 
 
English
 
 
alt
alt
 
 
Preferences

I was in bed reading my favorite book, The Hero’s Journey book 3, when this all started. It was a good book, and like all good books I was lost in that world. My brain picturing the different scenes. As I read the words they come alive in my head as if a whole movie is playing. It gets colorful and detailed as I read. I was so concentrated and lost in the book that I didn’t notice a knock on the door. The second time it was louder.
I looked up from the book. “Who’s there?” I asked scanning the room with bleary eyes.
The door creaked open and there stood a lady wearing a white plain dress with a black apron. She wore a frilly bonnet and her amber hair was tucked inside of it neatly. “Sorry to disturb you ma’am.” she said in squeaky voice. “It’s your birthday today so I wanted to give you this fruit tart.”
The lady was my favorite maid who was more like a caring sister to me more than anything. Ever since my mother died she took care of me. Her name was Marlise.
She wheeled in a cart with a gleaming silvery tray on it. The tray was covered by a clear glass lid which was engraved with pictures of different flowers.
The fruit tart had different fruits like peaches, kiwis, strawberries, mangoes, watermelons, cantaloupes, and blueberries. It was glazed and had a circle of frosting around it. On top was a candle with the number twelve on it.
“I hope you like it ma’am. I got it made specially for you.” Marlise exclaimed happily.
“Mmhm.” I said as I took a large bite out of it. “It’s good.”
If you were wondering my dad is extremely rich. He has so much money we literally own enough land to cover an average sized city. My dad buys anything I want. The only problem is he doesn’t care for me. Ever since mother died he left me in the care of the maids. It’s like he doesn’t want to see me at all, which is fine with me.
I lifted my feet off the bed, stood up straight, and headed for my dresser. I grabbed a hair brush, and started combing my flat blonde hair. Once it was straight I turned around and went up to Marlise.
Tears started welling in my eyes. I hugged her very tightly. “Thank you so much.” I whispered, in her ear. “Thank you so much for everything. You were the only person who cared about me. You comforted me when I was sad, and you cheered me up. You’re the best. You even remember my birthdays and little things like my dance recitals that you try to come to.”
“Kate dear. Why do you sound like you’re leaving?”
“I am. The other day I heard my father talking to his advisor. He said something about sending me away somewhere. I don’t know where though.” I said sadly as I let go of her. I sat down on the edge of my bed. “I guess he doesn’t want me around at all.”
Marlise looked down at her feet. “Well I guess that’s why he sent me to fetch you.”
I smiled at Marlise. “Don’t worry. I knew it was only a matter of time.”
I walked over to my wardrobe and picked out a green frilly dress that had pictures of flowers dancing in the wind, en-laid along the rim of the dress.
See, whenever my Father wanted to talk to me in person he had me wear a fancy dress and fancy make-up. He also wanted me on my best behavior. I hated seeing him only because he hated me. You’re probably wondering why he hates me. It all started when my Mother died due to cancer. The next day he went insane. And I mean insane enough to try and kill me. He believed that I had murdered my mother and wanted me dead...
I woke up in the middle of the night with a bunch of guards around me holding rifles that were aimed straight at me. I was five and I had no idea what to do. My father came out from behind one of the guards.
He looked straight at me with an evil grin. “Now I can avenge Julianna’s death.”
Suddenly one of the guards fell down unconscious. It was like a chain reaction one guard after another falling down then the last guard shot me in my left arm before he fell down unconscious. I screamed and hollered, but no one came. Finally I looked down at my arm. The blood was being soaked up by the bedsheets. I started getting dizzy till finally I fell unconscious…
I sunk to the floor with my hands covering my face. “They’re getting worse. More and more detailed, like parts of a picture clearing up.”
“Kate dear do you need to see a doctor? If they’re getting worse then you should-”
“No it’s okay.” I said standing up. “I can bear it. But I have to go see Father now.”

I gripped the edge of the dresser and steadied myself. I stalked over to the door and went out. I went as fast as I could down the hallway to the elevator. I pushed the up button because my Father’s office is on the sixth floor. The door opened and I jumped back in fright. Out walked a boy, my age, he had brown hair and black eyes. He looked awfully familiar.
I got into a stance, ready to lunge at him and punch him if needed.
“Who are you and what do you want?” I stammered.
The boy just looked at me and vanished in a cloud of blue smoke.
I walked cautiously into the elevator. I went to the buttons and pressed the number six. I hated compact spaces. They freaked me out.
I grabbed the railing as the door slid shut. Beads of sweat formed at the back of my neck. I started to hyperventilate. Just as I thought I couldn’t take it anymore the elevator door slid open and I hopped out.
Immediately a whole crew of maids came stampeding straight towards me, each holding something different. One held a bottle of perfume. Another had eyeshadow. One had blush. And I guess you get the point. Once they were done the shoved a mirror in my face. I looked at it with a scowl. Like always I look like one of those barbie dolls my dad forced me to play with when I was younger.
“Ma’am what’s wrong? Do you not like your make-up we could fix it for you.”
“No the make-up itself is what’s wrong.” I said my voice darkening.
“Do you want a different brand we could go and-”
“No that’s not what I meant. I-”
I was cut off by the appearance of my stylist, Calista. I seriously hate her and her stuck up selfish needs and choices.
“My my. What a perfect dress. I love your makeup too. The black eye-shadow really brings out your luscious brown eyes.”
I turned away from her. “Just leave me alone. I don’t want to keep my Father waiting.” That obviously wasn’t the truth. I didn’t want to see him but the sooner I get it done the better.
Calista grabbed my shoulders and steered me to my Father’s office.
“Now be a good girl.” She gave my shoulders a painful squeeze before shoving me into the room. I stumbled in and lost my balance, thanks to my lovely wonderful high-heels(not). I fell face flat onto the floor. I looked up at my father’s desk. There sat my father glaring at me with those terrifying blue eyes. (I obviously didn’t get my eye color from my dad.)
He slammed his fist on his desk. “GET UP NOW STUPID GIRL. I WANT YOU ON YOUR FEET LOOKING DOWN. NOW!” he yelled at me while I struggled to get up.
Once I was standing I looked down at my feet. My eyes started stinging. Please don’t cry Kate. You can’t cry he’ll yell at you more stop crying.
My Father glared at me. “Now I wanted to tell you this delightful news. I have to send you off to an orphanage. You will leave in about a week. I’m so thankful to that maid that took care of you. I can’t remember her name. Anyways. You will want to start packing and-”
“How could you.” I said softly… Then I dared to do it. I looked up straight into his eyes. “HOW COULD YOU SEND YOUR OWN DAUGHTER OFF TO AN ORPHANAGE! You have almost all the money in the world and you want to send me off to an orphanage? First you try to kill me then you leave me in the hands of the maids and now you tell me this on my birthday. Oh ya I almost forgot. You never even knew my birthday. You-”
“THAT’S ENOUGH.” He picked up the paper weight on his desk and threw it at me. It hit my left arm pretty hard. “NOW LEAVE.”
I whisked around and headed out, but before I left through the door I turned around. “I hate you.” I said to his face. “You never cared about me.”
Then I turned around and left.

I ran straight down the hall to the elevator. I banged my fist against the down button and waited. After about thirty seconds the doors slid open. I leaped in and pressed the button with the number two on it. Immediately the doors closed and I knew it was a bad idea. Beads of sweat started trickling down the back of my neck. My breath quickened and the everything around me started spinning. I fell down to my knees. Man, why was I so afraid of compact spaces. Just then the door slid open and I crawled out. Since the world was still spinning I kept crawling until I reached the door to our personal library. I tried to push it open but it wouldn’t work so I did what every abnormal person would. I backed up and rammed in head first. I fell flat on the ground the world spinning even faster and my head hurting really bad. I tried to stand up but it just hurt more so I got on my knees and reached for the door knob. I twisted it and pushed. The door swung open and I crawled in. I used my feet to push the door closed. Then I blacked out. I woke up literally two seconds later soaking wet. I sat up and opened my eyes. I almost screamed. Marlise was three centimeters away from my face. Next to her was a huge bucket filled half with water. She probably already poured half of it on me. She stood up and grabbed the bucket. She started tipping it. Seconds before it came crashing down I yelped and dodged. The water splashed down inches from me but I still got wet. Thankfully not to a large extent.
I shot up onto my feet. “What were you doing!”
“Trying to wake you up Ma’am.”
“Couldn’t you have-”
Okay. I have to count to ten and then calm down. One, Two, Three, Four-
“Jeez Couldn’t you have found another way to wake me other than soaking me with freezing cold water!” I screeched.
“Sorry Ma’am. I got you some dry clothes.” She held out a bundle of clothes to me. I snatched them out of her hands.
I went into the bathroom and changed. When I came out Marlise had left. I probably really hurt her feelings. Oh well. I guess that means it’s time to read to escape reality and travel to the fantasy worlds that seem so real. I picked a book and sat down on a fluffy chair. I started reading. I read for about three hours until a piece of paper slipped in between me and the book. I looked up to see the same boy from the elevator. I yelped and threw the book at him.
“Jeez. I was only trying to help you.” He said in a low voice. He rubbed the place on his arm where the book had hit him. “Read the note and tell me by coming to the third tree by the blackberry bush next to the creek. You know where.” he said quickly without a trace of a smile but I could see the flare in his eyes.
I stared at him my eyes wide. How did he know the place I liked to go when I wanted to be left alone. This guy is creepy.
“Oh and come at midnight. Only then will every person here be asleep.”
I sat there gaping. My eyes wide. What type of jerk would ask a girl to come at midnight to a place far from the safety of home...well it’s not technically safe here what with my dad running around trying to kill me or send me off to an orphanage.
The boy smiled and turned around as he walked he disintegrated into the air.
Now that guy was creepy, but I opened the note anyway. It said:
If you want to unlock any fictional world of your choice you can help me find the key. My duty is to help everyone, I feel is right, unlock the world so they can live in happiness there. It will be dangerous. Do you accept?
I looked up. My eyes stared into space thinking of my life there. Would it be different? Would I live a happier more exciting life there? I’ll go. Then I can finally be free from my dad. I got up and headed back to my room.

Once I was there I sat on my bed. Wow. Not much longer before I can leave my dad and live happily, but how would I escape in case he turns out to be some mass murderer trying to kill me. I could use my judo moves...No. That won’t work. I’ll have to use my self defense I learned or running. Seriously what guy would think a girl as smart as me would go? I mean he’s probably lying and he’s gonna murder me, which my Father would be very happy with.
But still the thought of escaping my dad! That’s the best ending ever. So happy. Not like any of the books I read though. The ending leaves you in tears.
I crawled into my bed and pulled the covers over me. Well I guess I’ll just skip dinner. I set my alarm clock to 11:40. I guess I was going.
I woke up to my alarm clock. I turned it off and hopped out of bed. I tip-toe my way around to the door. I passed dark halls with shadows dancing around. I was so close. Just around the corner and I’ll be outside. Suddenly I tripped and landed on my stomach.
“OOOOFFF.”
“Who’s there. No thieves will get away from us.”
Crud. I forgot about the watchmen. I ran in the other direction at top speed. I went faster and faster. Ducking into hallways. Whenever a watchman stood in my way I used my elbow to knock them unconscious.
I ran and ran until I reached the other door that lead outside.
Once I was outside I sprinted even faster to my favorite spot. There by the tree stood the boy. He turned around and looked at me.
“I guess you decided to come.”
“Well I guess so. I’m here right.”
At that moment a branch snapped somewhere behind us.
“Who’s there!” shouted a gruff voice.
Oh c’mon! Of all of them I knocked out I forgot one!
The boy grabbed me and lifted me up. Then he took off running.
“Put me down you jerk!” I shrieked.
“Shut up.” he said speeding up.
“You shut up.”
“Ugh you’re really annoying.”
“Hey you guys get back here or we’ll catch you!” said the man who was chasing us.
“We’ll? That means there’s more than one person.” I answered. Ugh I forgot two or three or five or- whatever.
“Will- you- just- shut- up- Kate- or- they- will- catch- us-.” he panted, gasping for breath.
“As you say idiot-who-won’t-let-a-girl-run-cause-I’m-perfectly-capable-of-doing-so.” I told him as I rolled my eyes.
“You’re- too- slow-.” he said panting.
“WHAT DID YOU SAY! TOO SLOW! I’M NOT SLOW! I’M ONE OF THE FASTER RUNNERS IN SCHOOL! Ugh you’re such and idiot. Why did I even agree to come? What was I thinking? This is so weird. You know you remind me of this fictional character, but I can’t remember which one. There are so many to keep track of.”
“Will you stop talking to yourself.”
He came to an abrupt halt, and he dropped me.
“What’s your problem. Oh did you finally come to your senses.”
“Are you normally this annoying?” he said softly, sliding down the side of the nearest tree.
I stood up off the ground. “What?” I asked, really confused. Why would he ask such a thing.
“Nevermind. They stopped following us but still you keep watch wake me if you feel-”
A smile crept across his face before he closed his eyes and went to sleep.
I sat there not knowing what to do when it happened. Another flashback hit me. Worse than ever.

I crumpled to the ground…
...I was lying there on my bed. I had just woken up from a bad dream. I tried to move my arm but a sharp pain there stopped me from doing so. I looked down; it was wrapped up in a bandage. The bed sheets were covered in dried blood. I looked up to see a boy who looked about twelve…
...I opened my eyes. I propped myself up onto my hands and knees. I looked up at the boy. It was him. The same boy from before. The same boy from when I was younger he had bandaged up my arm. The boy from the elevator. Why didn’t I see it before. No wonder he looked so familiar.I had to get away from him but then again how is he still twelve?
I got up onto my feet and made a run for it. I ran faster and faster. I kept running until suddenly I heard some one laughing. I whipped around to see a man about three feet tall with grubby green hair and neon rainbow skin. Like literally it was rainbow striped all across.
“What are you?” I asked giving the tiny weird thing a quizzical look.
“Oh, you don’t know sweetie.”
I flinched(seriously who calls a person they meet for the first time sweety.)  He suddenly stopped and scrunched up his tiny red face.
“That’s not nice.” he said looking at me in a sorrowful way “I was just trying to be formal. Maybe even nice.”
I planted my right foot behind me and stared at him in shock. Okay this guy is really weird and maybe a little to the creepy side too.
The thing made a tsk tsk type of sound while shaking his head. “You know it isn’t nice to think that people are weird when you haven’t even met them yet. And it isn’t nice too think people are creepy.”
I planted my left foot behind my right.
“How- how do you know what I’m thinking…”
Oooohhhh! This guy is a- no it can’t be. A Penjay?
“That’s right sweetie! Imma Penjay!.” He grinned really wide. “So how about I kidnap you now.”
That’s not a nice way of doing things. Actually it’s kinda mean.
“Really. I should maybe...HEY!” he looked over at me. “Stop trying to distract me sweety! I’m on a mission.”
I knew exactly how to beat this guy.

I started thinking a whole bunch of ways to escape.
Maybe I could run to left- no I’ll run to the right. Oo maybe I can jump over him. Oh wait, what about jumping into the tree. Wait a sec there’s a creek nearby I could jump in he’ll never notice me. Wait wait wait! I have a great idea why don’t I eat some berries. I could make a pie! No wait what about a bath. I could take a really nice bath, with some lavender soap, and rose petals.
I looked at the penjay. He was going insane. Pointing here and there. Jumping into the tree. The running and dive bombing into the creek, eating berries, banging his head on a rock, you get the point. I took this as my chance. I kept thinking of weird things and weird ways to escape while I kept walking closer and closer. Suddenly a big stick appeared out of nowhere and hit him in the head. As the penjay crumpled to the ground I looked up to the boy again smiling.
“Thanks for distracting him. Gave me a clear shot.”
I took five steps back cautiously.
“Who are you exactly, and why are you still twelve?” I asked stepping away from him slowly.
He took a deep breath and let out a sigh. “I knew I had to answer that soon enough.”

I turned around and started running. I knew I would get tired and he would catch up soon but I did it anyway. Suddenly I stopped. I commanded my legs to move but they didn’t respond. Then I turned around to face the boy, unwillingly. He had his arm stretched out like he was controlling me with some spell. That’s probably why I can’t control my own limbs.
“My name is Jacob.” he said looking down trying not to cry. “I’m Jacob Purservall. I’m from that book you like, The Hero’s journey.”
“No way.” I whispered to myself in disbelief. “YOU LIAR! Stop playing me.” I yelled. He can’t be. That character he disappeared mysteriously after the third book. He was my favorite character. The character I really liked. The character I had a- No. This guy isn’t him what am I thinking. Fictional characters can’t just randomly pop out of books. That’s impossible...or is it...NO! NOT POSSIBLE!
I looked at him in disbelief. “If-if you’re-you’re J-Jacob then tell me why he disappeared after the third book?”
He looked at me his face filling with sadness. He let his arms drop down, and immediately I could move again.
“See. A girl just like you found out about the key and set out to find it. Once she found it she unlocked The Hero’s Journey book 4 and switched places with me. While she went there I ended up here. After that I made it my mission to find the key and go back home. Sadly only a regular human from this world can retrieve the key. So, I decided to fool you into getting the key. Then I would steal it and unlock the book so I could go back to my normal life. You have to help me.”
He looked at me with pleading eyes. Ugh. It’s really hard to resist it...maybe I could help him- NO!
“Why would I help you! You were the one who wanted to fool me then take my only way of escaping my dad, having a better life. I could be so much happier.”
I turned around. This boy is the character I like. I can’t be selfish. I have to let go and give him the key. Even if it means living here. I could run away. Ya that would be good. I turned around and looked him in the eye. I stuck out my hand, smiled, and said, “You got a deal.”

We kept walking and walking. Finally, we reached the edge of my dad’s land. I looked up to the mountains that lay on the outskirt of the valley I lived in. The sun was peeking over the top casting a velvety glow on the rest of the sky.
“We gotta keep going.” he said grabbing my arm and dragging me.
I couldn’t keep it in. I started crying. The first tear popped out then came the rest.
Jacob turned around and looked at me. “What’s wrong?”
I walked over to him and hugged him then I lifted him up over my head and started walking off with him.
“What is wrong with you?!”
“I couldn’t stop it. I thought you were dead. I even made a grave for you. So many characters that I like have died so I made a grave for each one of them. So far I have made 52 graves and I still need to dig one hundred and twenty two.” I kept walking off with him up there above my head. I was smiling and crying at the same time.
“Kate you’re really really creepy.”
“I know.” I said smiling back at him.
“This is really weird. Being carried by a girl. An especially strong one too.”
“You’re not that heavy you know.” I said still smiling and walking.
“This is soooo messed up.”
“MmhhM.” I said still smiling.
“Can you put me down now.”
“No.” I answered happily.
“Seriously you’re creeping me out.”
“Yeah.”
“Please.” he begged.
“No.” I said still smiling creepily.
“Please.”
“No.”
Finally after half an hour my arms got tired. But the only reason I was able to carry him was because he weighed about twenty pounds. Surprising right. Probably normal for the people from where he comes.
I set him down but kept walking with that weird smile on my face. I was just really happy. Tears of joy kept pouring out of my eyes like I had become the new Niagara Falls.
We kept walking until we hit a road block. A whole pack Fairtogs. Fairtogs are these huge warthogs that can fly. They have razor sharp tusks and hair so black that if you touch it, it will burn away your skin. Interestingly their wings seem unrealistic. They glow with a yellowish light and they look as soft as clouds.
They didn’t seem to happy about us barging in so they decided to destroy us. They all came charging straight at us. Jacob snapped his fingers and they stood still. We walked past them. Once we were about three miles away from them he snapped his fingers again and the Fairtogs were out of our way.
We kept banging into a whole bunch of different monsters. Some were called Likesotots. They were really weird creatures. They could become invisible at any moment. They looked like little angel from a distance but once you got close you could see that they were only two feet tall, had sharp fangs, and orange hair. Snake like eyes and a cat like nose. We ran into many more creepy creature until we reached a town. We walked into the lively place. Each house looked little shacks with straw roofs. Uneven stone paved roads lead the way to different locations. In the middle of it all was a house bigger than the rest and made out of stones entirely. Jacob motioned for me to follow him. I wondered why he wasn’t talking when I noticed that the villagers were speaking a different language. I followed Jacob to an underground cellar. He gestured for me to go first. I stepped in and my foot planted onto ground. There were stairs.

“Go quickly.” he whispered in my ear.
I nodded and walked down. I heard Jacob follow behind. I waited for him to reach me then we kept going. Every time we passed a torch it would light up magically.
Finally, after what seemed like hours we reached the bottom. Up ahead there, was an eerie green glow coming from underneath a black door. We walked up to the door and I stuck my hand out to grab the door knob when the door opened itself.
“There.” Jacob said pointing to a swirling green vortex. “All you have to do is stick your hand through that vortex and you should feel a box. That’s the key.”
“Why can’t you do it yourself?”
“I told you already. I can’t. Only a person who has lived in this world their entire life can get it.”
“How can I trust you?”
“Please. So I can go home.” his eyes started watering.
I stuck my hand into the vortex. Almost immediately it shocked me.
“AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggghhhhhhhhh.” I shrieked as lightning shot at me.
I lay on the floor crumpled. Jacob ran up to me.
“Kate are you okay?” he said helping me up to me knees.
“No.” he whispered while he go of me. “NOOOO!” he shouted as he fell to his knees. Tears started flowing. “NOOOO! I came so far to be rejected. They don’t want me back there. I’ve tried so hard.”
“I’m not giving up.” I whispered softly as a determined look spread across my face.
I ran in sticking my hand out. The lightning shot me again but I kept pushing even with all the pain. I pushed as hard as I could trying to reach something.
“Don’t do it Kate! You’ll hurt yourself!”
I turned my head to look at him. “You’re the only person who’s actually accepted me for who I am. You’re someone I feel I can consider a friend. I help my friends in anyway I can.”
I pushed harder and felt something hard. I grabbed it and let the lightning push me out.
I went flying back and I slammed into the wall. Jacob ran over to me.
“Here take the key and go home. You can live happily, and I can live happily up there.”
“No Kate stop it.”
“I’m not magical so it tried to kill me and I guess it worked- or well it’s working.”
Jacob scooped me into his arms. “WWWHHHHHYYYY!!!! WHY DO BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO ME!”
His warm tears fell on me. I smiled at him. “Now go home. And don’t return me to my dad. Return me to Marlise.”

I brought Kate home and gave her to Marlise like she asked. Then I did what she wanted me to do. Go home. I went to the library and found the book series I was from. How could I go home feeling like I had killed someone? Especially someone who had considered me a friend. I hated my guts but I did what she asked. I took the fourth book in the series and stuck the key in it. A whole formed in the book and the key was sucked in. Then the book floated out of my arms. The pages started flipping and a calm female voice said, “State your name please.”
I answered, “Jacob Purservall.”
“Welcome back Jacob Purservall.”
Blue smoke engulfed me and when I opened my eyes I was back home. In my house. The green peeling paint still the same. Same ragged bed. Same dresser with the four outfits. I walked out into the street. I can’t wait to see my friends. Then I thought of Kate. How she sacrificed her life so I could come back here. I walked faster hoping I could leave those memories behind. I looked down as I  walked, feeling sick thinking about Kate. I kept going faster and faster until I crashed straight into someone. I fell down while the other person (obviously) didn’t.
“Hey jerk watch where you’re going.” said the voice which sounded awfully familiar.
“Sorry I-” I looked up to see…
“Kate! Wait what!”
Kate looked at me with a glare.
“Stop acting like you know me cause you obviously don’t.” she said in a snotty voice.
She straightened her coat and walked off.
Kate? No it couldn’t be! She d-died. That can’t be her. I got up on my feet and chased after her.
“Kate! Kate! Wait up!” I yelled running.
“Will you stop or I’ll call the police.” she said with an annoyed expression on her face but I could see something else. Was it terror.
Just then someone came and put his hand on my shoulder.
“Hey Jacob. Long time no see,” he said grinning. I turned around and faced a good friend of mine. Will Timing.
“Hey Will.”
“Were you off on a long term job or something.” he said steering me back to our North headquarters.
(Our North Headquarters is the one I belong in.)
“Ya I was.” (complete lie)
“Cool what did you do?”
Great now I need to lie a little more.
“Oh well I was going from town to town fighting things when I got amnesia and well I forgot a lot of things like where HQ was and other things like that. But I didn’t forget you nor Elise or Jetta or Cayo.” I tried for a grin but my memories of Kate held me back.
Once we were back in HQ I was welcomed by many people. Then I saw my other good friends Elise, Jetta and Cayo.
Will elbowed me. “Elise’s seems to have a thing for you.”
I looked at Elise. She was looking away blushing.
I walked up to them. Cayo came and slapped me on the back.
“Man it’s been a while bro.”
“You too.” I tried for another smile and it worked.
I looked over at Elise and Jetta. They were smiling and laughing at each other. They came up to me and Jetta game me a friendly hug while Elise gave me something a little different. She came up to me and gave me a peck on the cheek.

Things started dying down and returned to normal. Elise seemed to like me a lot. More than before. Every time I saw her I felt bad. I hadn’t told any of them the truth. I guess things are going to stay that way. I was sitting with my friends and eating lunch when the door open and there stood...Kate?!
Kate looked around like she was wondering where to sit when Jetta called out to her. Not in a friendly way but a more cautious and reserved way.
“Hey Kate come and sit with us. I have to introduce you to someone. He’s been here awhile but when you joined he was out on a mission.”
Kate walked over and sat down next to Jetta, not say anything. She seemed sad and confused..
“This is Jacob Purservall.”
Kate looked at me her face scrunched up like she was remembering something but couldn’t really grasp it. Then she scowled.
“You’re the guy who bumped into me and acted like you knew me…”
She trailed off like she was trying to grasp that memory again.
“How would you know her?” Elise said looking at me.
This is bad. My secret may come out at anytime. I have to go.
Just then Kate looked at me her eyes wide with shock like she had found that memory.
“Jacob.” she whispered to herself tears forming in her eyes. “Jacob. You did come home. You were able to get the key. You took me home to Marlise didn’t you.”
“Kate I-”
“What’s going on. Come home? Found the key? What’s she talking about.” Elise said looking around at everyone.
“I have to go.” I jumped up and ran to my house.
This is bad. Kate. Ugh she did not know when to keep her mouth shut did she. I really hope she isn’t telling them everything.
I ducked through the door into my one roomed apartment. I sat there on my bed. I had no idea what to do.

It hit me! I knew him. Jacob Purservall. The boy who tricked me into getting the key for him. The boy who I had sacrificed my life for. The boy who had returned me to Marlise and not my dad. The boy who had felt so regretful about my death that the queen, that watched the magical switches between both worlds, took pity on him and brought me back to life, but sent me to this world to live in.
I had to talk to him. I ran after him with the rest of his friends trailing after me. I sped up so they would lose sight of me so I could talk to Jacob in private. I don’t think he told them the truth yet.
I caught up to him just as he had ducked into his house. I opened the door and found him lying on his bed. I walked in and sat on the edge.
“I understand now.” I said trying to comfort him.
“Oh ya. You totally understand. You just had to tell them everything!”
“I didn’t tell them everything! What about trying to steal the key from me after I got it out of the portal?”
“I didn’t force you too!”
“Ya right you didn’t force me too. Very funny!”
“Oh I’m sorry I wasn’t the person who was all like ‘I help my friends so I’ll get you the key.’”
I looked away. Tears formed in my eyes.
“I’m sorry I didn’t know that you wanted me to not die and have you living there forever.” I whispered. “I’m sorry that you don’t even care that I went through all that pain so I could help you.”

I turned around and faced him tears flowing. “You’re so selfish! You don’t even care that I sacrificed my life for you to live happily!”
Just then Jacob’s friends came in panting.
Elise ran up to Jacob. “Jacob are you okay.”
Jacob didn’t answer and just left his head in his hands.
Elise sat next to him and hugged him.
I looked away and wiped the tears out of my eyes. I knew I didn’t belong here. I even told the queen that they wouldn’t accept me, just like the kids back at home.
Just then Jetta came up to me and slammed me against the wall.
“What did you do. What’s going on? Answer me!” she yelled at me.
“You’re friend over there is lying to you. He-”
She pushed even harder on me and I yelped in pain.
“I’ll crack your shoulder girl. Tell the truth! I knew it was a bad idea to let you in the group. We should have just let you there to die in the hand of that rotten man that controlled you like a puppet.”
Just then the door opened again and the queen came in. Wait What? Why in the world is the Queen showing up in such a shabby place. Is she really that dumb!?
Everyone dropped to the floor and bowed. Wow. Nice followers she has in this world. People in our world don’t even know she exsits.
“Stand up.” she ordered in a strict but melodious voice.
“Queen what brings you here of all places?” Cayo asked with an edge in his voice.
“You have mistreated someone who I have personally brought back to life because of you Jacob Purservall.”
Everyone, except me, looked shocked.
Then she did something unexpected.
“Kate I’m sorry.” she looked down at her feet.
“W-why are you sorry?” I asked really really confused.
“You had told me that the people you think you can try to be friends with would turn against you told me that you would end up lonely, friendless, and sad. You were right and I was wrong. I feel terrible. I brought you back because of Jacob. Jacob regretted your death and made himself feel bad. I knew he couldn’t live that way or the story will be ruined. That’s why I brought you back. I couldn’t send you back to the world you belong because then that world would lose it’s order and people would demand that their loved ones come back to them. Now one last thing. Kate would you like to go to where you were headed or re-live this life?”
I stood there shocked not being able to say anything. What if they try to beat me up again. This could be my chance to meet my mother and be with her or maybe I could start again. This reminded me of the impossible choice of if I should stay or help him find the key.
I stood there thinking when Jacob stood up and walked over to me and hugged me. I felt his warmth spread through me.
“Stay. Please stay. I don’t want to live feeling like I was helpless again. Please Kate. Stay.” he whispered in my ear.
He let go of me and grabbed my shoulders. He gave me a sad smile. “Friends are supposed to help each other right. You’re my friend and I can’t lose a friend.”
What should I do? See Mom? Stay here?
I looked at the queen and smiled. “Ya. I’ll stay.”
Jacob smiled and lifted me off the ground like he had before when we were running away from the watchmen. And he took off back to HQ.
“Hey put me down idiot-who-won’t-let-a-girl-run-cause-I’m-perfectly-capable-of-doing-so.”
“You haven’t changed a bit have you.”
“Nope.”
“I figured.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.