Mirrors | Teen Ink

Mirrors

November 2, 2014
By kcatgog, Cupertino, California
More by this author
kcatgog, Cupertino, California
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

 
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
 
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
 
Return
 
 
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
 
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
 
 
English
 
 
alt
alt
 
 
Preferences

Have you ever had a weird feeling about something, even though you  know that it is completely ordinary? For me, that's mirrors. I don't know why, but they just give me goose bumps.
            I'm not sure how many of you have some weird phobia, nothing like spiders or the dark, but WEIRD. I know someone at my school, MLK High, who is afraid of yo-yos.
             Anyway, the feeling of not liking or trusting something, even though it's completely ordinary, is just like not liking someone that you barely even know.
            Just use any feeling about someone that you hate, and think that person is a mirror.  Now, welcome to my world!
            April 16, 2015. MLK High School. San Jose California. No, just no. It's that awful day before you know you are released to the joy of the weekend. Thursday... Nooooo! I thought as my alarm woke me up with the annoying sound. Errr Errr Errr!!! I hate that sound. While hitting the old alarm, I sat up in the old bed that has gone through 5 other kids, not including me.
    The old dusty floorboards creaked as clumsily stood up. My little sister  Amanda rolled her dark brown eyes at me and rolled over in her bed. I swear, her brown-blonde hair was too messy for only sleeping for about 2 hours last night.
    As I walked out of my bedroom and down the hallway, my dad was snoring loudly on the couch. I guess my mom kicked him out after their 5 hour long fight about random crap. It was on and off, but it was still hard to sleep. I stopped caring about an hour in.
    Not wanting to disturb my dad, I grabbed a small apple from the kitchen, and went back to the room I shared with Amanda.

“Hey Sam.” 
        Waking up at the start of the end of the world,
But it's feeling just like every other morning before,
Now I wonder what my life is going to mean if it's gone,

“Sam?”
    The cars are moving like a half a mile an hour
And I started staring at the passengers who're waving goodbye
Can you tell me what was ever really special about me all this time?

“SAM!”
     I believe the world is burning to the ground
Oh well I guess we're gonna find out
Let's see how far we've come
Let's see how far we've come

An ear bud was yanked out of my ear, rather harshly I may add.

    “Ow!” I yelled, giving Vickey “the death glare” as she called it when I give her a glare that seems to give the exact  feeling of death.

    “Sorry, but you weren't listening to me because of that stupid music you were listening to.” She grinned at me with her multi-colored braces.

    “Well,” I thought my words out carefully because Vic takes thing too seriously,”Im sorry you dont like my music.”

    “Yeah, and I’m sorry you dont like mine.” No, not sarcasm, she never understood sarcasm.

    “I never said I didn't like your music, in fact I don’t mind most of it, but whoever sang that Anaconda song is super annoying.”
She pondered on the thought.

“Yeah you’re right, Nikki Manaj is really annoying.”

We giggled, covering our mouths, just as Matt, my other best friend ran behind us, splashing in a puddle as he did so.

“Hey Ladies…” He said in his coolest, lowest voice which isn't saying much, considering he hasn't gone through puberty yet.

“Hey Matt.” I said, still smiling.

“Uh oh, there’s the witch herself, Sabrina.”

I glanced up and sure enough, Sabrina was turning onto the street with her all new cherry red Ferrari. Oh, thats right, its her 16th birthday. Sabrina glanced at us and immediately turned to her friends and then they all looked at us. She waited until we got to the street corner and beckoned us to cross. Vick and I glanced at each other suspiciously, but Matt waved a thank you and proceed to walk across the street.

“Wait!” I said, too late, so Vick and I ran to catch up with him.

Right as we were directly in front of them, Sabrina lurched the car forward just enough to bump me into Matt.

“HEY!” I yelled. I kind of lashed out from there. Kicking the hood of the car, I left a dirty Converse size 7 shoe print.

“You're gonna pay for that!” Sabrina lept out of the car, only forgetting to take off the seatbelt, so she smacked her ‘Pretty’ blonde head against the roof of the car.
    Vick giggled, but stopped when she saw the look on Sabrina’s face. Sabrina turned into the car and said something, and they all got out. Katrina, I swear, gave me an evil snarl, and Jazmin, as always, had some stupid expression that I guess was supposed to look intimidating, but looked more like she needed to go to the bathroom.

    “Uh Oh, you better run” said Matt

    “Yeah, listen to your geeky friend.”

    “Yeah” Katrina and Jazmin said in unison valley girl accents, that kind of reminded me of the girls in Lilo and Stitch, when the bully tells Lilo something mean and they just say yeah.

So, I did. I ran.

Have you ever seen the movie Forrest Gump? If you haven't, it's a good movie and you should watch it, but check with your parents first. It has some suggestive content. Anyway, there is this one part when Forrest is getting chased by some bullies on bikes, and his friend is yelling “Run, Forrest! Run!” Then it flashes forward many years and Forrest is in High School, and the same thing is happening. Besides the the fact that the bullies have upgraded themselves to a beaten down old truck. Thats what I felt then, My friends telling me to run, and me at the huge disadvantage.

Running to school in light rain was not on my bucket list. Nor is it a good idea and I strongly do not advise doing it. I almost fell down 4 times.
I passed by random people walking to school, occasionally pushing someone out of the way. I cut through the elementary school in an attempt to lose Sabrina in her cherry red Ferrari. Running through the back field and coming up to a chain link fence that separated the elementary school from the high school. I threw my black backpack over, and I pulled up a loose end on the gate. Slipping under the fence and slightly in the mud, I stood up and started walking towards the main buildings.
The school was relatively empty except the kids who have zero period PE. As I made my way to the bathroom and got weird looks from the geeks. That was saying something because their normal style was black slippers with white socks, plaid shorts, and a bright neon yellow t-shirt.

The bathroom was located near room 29 and the boys bathroom. Not saying it was a nice bathroom. It consisted of 2 stalls with sometimes working toilets, and a working sink with a mirror. The walls where a dirty white, and I don’t want to know why. The floor had paper towels and toilet paper all over it as if the bathroom had suffered an attack from the paper monster.

I walked towards the sink and attempted to get some of the mud off of my cloths. glancing at the mirror, I didn't see myself. I mean, I saw myself, sure, but I was pretty sure I didn't have a long cut going down the side of my face, from my left eye to the corner of my mouth. I, or she or whatever, didn't make the same expression as I had. She gave me a sad look as I think I had the most surprised look in the history of surprised looks. She put her hand to the glass, as if inviting me to join her to a game.
I made the second mistake of the day. I reached out and touched the glass.

A blinding light hit my vision as I hit the ground (I think it was the ground). Moaning, I sat up and took in the impressive sight.

Everything was the opposite than what it normally is. For example, the door was on the opposite side then what I am used to. Then I  remembered. Me. I looked up at myself.
“Welcome to your worst nightmare.”

What? That didn't sound good.

    “What do you mean?” I asked.

    “If you think your life is bad, welcome to an even worse life.”

    “Why?” I know, stupid questions, but if you were just pulled into another universe by your own reflection, you would be flustered too.

    “Well here, everything that happens to you happens to me, but for me its much worse. Take today for example,” She said,”I actually made a dent in the car,”

    “Cool!”

    “No! Not cool!” She said as I stood up.

    “Unlike you, who got away from them, they hit me and I fell into a ditch.”

    “So Is that where the…” I put my hand to the side of my face where the long scratch was on hers.

    “That would be a yes.” She then started to walk out of the bathroom.

    Glancing at the mirror, I made my decision.

Slightly jogging to catch up with myself, I saw that everyone from my school was here. But not, if that makes sense.

“So, what happens to you? Like what happened last night?” I asked.

“Well here, our parents are no longer living in the same house, starting last night, they both walked out and neither have returned so…” She let that hang for a second. As we came up to the entrance to the school, I started talking again.

“Do you go by Sam or Samantha?”

“I dont care, what do you go by?” She asked inquisitively.

“I hate it when someone calls me Samantha, so Im Sam and you're Samantha? Okay?”

“Alright” she said, still not looking at me. All of a sudden, she stopped.
“You ok?” I asked.

“Lets go” She said.

Then I saw it. Other Sabrina, other Katrina and other Jazmine were standing in the parking lot, showing off the Ferrari.

“Hey, what's that dent from?” Someone asked.

I think that I saw other Sabrina’s eye twitch.

“Why dont you ask Samantha over there?” She replied, clearly irritated.

“Wait, can they see me?” I said, turning around to see Samantha, but realizing that she had ran and tried to ditched me. Unfortunately for me, It worked. 

“Oh no,” I said under my breath

I ran as fast and as hard as I could, which was saying something. The track coaches have approached me multiple times.

Approaching the bathroom, Samantha wasn't there. In fact, the entire mirror was no longer there. Glass shards littered the floor and i didnt dare go in past the doorway.

No!, I thought, Samantha must not like it here, (I don't blame her) so she is trying to trap me here while she is in my world! Maybe if there is another mirror around here…

“I thought you would be a little a little more banged up than that.” a voice said from behind me.

No! Not now! I bet Samantha knows that I just need another mirror and I can get back to my world.

“Not now Sabrina,” I said as I tried to walk out, only she pushed me, causing me to fall on multiple razor sharp shards of glass.

“OW!” I yelled, my grey blue eyes going wide.

Standing up, I pulled a long triangular shard of glass out of the palm of my hand. Loosely clutching it, I faced Sabrina.

“Look, I don't want to hurt you, just let me go and…”

“And what?”

“And I will pay for the damage I did to your car.”

“With what money? Last I checked, neither of your parents work, so naturally, no, I will not let you go.”

If I were given extra time to think of some genius plan where I beat the bully without even trying, but sadly I had approximately 2 seconds to think. Those 2  seconds gave me one of the stupidest ideas EVER. I charged at her with that shard of glass.

Most of the fight, I don’t remember anything except me hitting the surface of someone’s skin, and it wasn't mine. Standing up from the blacktop (How did I get here?) I looked at the damage I made to Sabrina. She had a long bleeding cut on the side of her left arm. She was rolling around, moaning in pain. I felt bad, but I had no time to think. I grabbed someone's skateboard that was leaning against the wall next to the boys bathroom, and made my way to my destination.


    Skating up to my house, I ran inside (the door was never locked. Shh, dont tell anyone) and bounded down the hallway, almost turning into my parents room, since my room was usually there, and got to my room. I faced a mirror. Well, its the closet, but still. I didn't see my reflection, so I hoped that was a good sign. I eagerly walked towards the mirror and placed my hand on it. The white light returned to my vision as the same sensation overcame me.

When my vision returned, everything was normal again! My old bed! My sisters posters! Its all there and its all back to normal!  Running outside, my house was back to the left side of the street!
I glanced at my watch as something  triggered my brain about school. 7:05 Ok, I have 10 minutes to get back to school. I thought, taking off at a run.

I never did see Samantha again. Not that I care, but I have always wondered what she is doing. I Googled ‘Mirrors, Are they Portals?’ and I found a chat group, turns out I'm not the only one who can go into the horrible universe, about 15 other people can do this. Something about bloodline? I don’t know, but one of them is meeting me at the local Starbucks on Monday. I’m still debating on going, you know what the school have brainwashed us with, internet safety, BLAH BLAH BLAH.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 2 comments.


bookknerd13 said...
on Nov. 19 2014 at 11:08 pm
Nice job Kailey

on Nov. 9 2014 at 11:42 pm
Gwendolyn_ BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Look what you have done. Listen! your brothers blood cries out to me from the ground!" -God

"Never let your schooling interfere with your education." -Mark Twain

"All the drugs in the world will never save us from ourselves" -Marilyn Manson

Awesome! Cool story line!