Never Stop | Teen Ink

Never Stop

By Melanie Garcia, New York, New York
Melanie Garcia, New York, New York

Author's note:

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

My name is Ruth and lately some strange things have been strange lately ever since some men in black have been following me and leaving letters saying that I have to surrender even though I don’t know what in the world their talking about  I do know that I probably don’t want to be caught by them. Things started to get that much weirder and it put those men in black at the bottom of my list heres what happened.  
Run just keep on running or he'll catch you, that's what I kept thinking to myself. Run faster, but yet no matter how fast I ran I knew I wasn't fast enough. With every block I could feel him getting closer, then in the middle of my thoughts I stopped. I couldn't manage to move my feet like I was standing in a puddle of crazy glue. I turned around and saw him coming closer and closer. Then, all of a sudden everything stopped and it was just me. My hands took control and touched him on his pressure points. Then, everything started again except the man who attacked me he was twitching on the floor. I was shocked at what I did but I didn't have time to be amazed because I was already running.
  I stopped late at night in front of an all night McDonald's. I was so tired I couldn't even keep my eyes open so I went inside and sat at a booth and fell asleep. The next morning I saw them everywhere, the men in black. A curious waitress reached out her hand to touch my shoulder. When the waitress  startled me, I did it again, the exact same thing I did to the man but this time to an innocent women that I know didn't deserve it. A Man got out of his seat and came after me but I was far too quick. I got up as quick as I could and ran as far away from McDonalds as  I could. While I ran for my life, I broke my number one rule which is don't look back but I did. I watched him coming closer which made me scarer. Someone tried to grab me from the front so I started to do it faster this time, but it felt different this time. This time the person actually fought back and blocked my hands from touching him.
“Come with me” he said.
       I didn't know if I could trust him but I for some reason I felt like I could but I didn't trust him 100%.  He didn't look at me so I didn't look at him I felt different no one was looking at me I looked normal and I didn't like it so I stopped he looked back then some how with his hand he pulled me but he didn't touch me, weird, and he was smart about it too, So no one would notice he made it look like I was walking. It was like that for a long time then we stopped at an ally but he didn't let go and with a snap of his fingers everything froze (except for me and him) and then we went through the wall like it wasn't even there. He let go of me letting me fall to the floor when I managed to get up I looked at him
"Yeah I love being forced against my will to go through a wall with somebody I don't even know" I said sarcastically.
"Sorry next time I'll try to be more considerate when I'm saving you"
"Saving me for your information I did not need saving"
"You really thought that you could outrun them they were gaining on you I stopped them so your welcome"
I didn't say anything for a while then said
“why did you save me?”
“well, you’re one of us”
“us what are you talking about”
“there are tons of kids like you here” 
“how do I know I can trust you?”
“you're smart kid, you should know what to do” then I walked away
"by the way my name is professor D"  he called I didn’t  
I’ve.
I didn't really know where I was going so I was just walking around in the halls when I came across a door that for some reason had my name on it and I thought if this isn't a sign for me to go in then I don't know what is,  I went in and I could not believe it my dream room with a real big bed and a tv and a computer and new clothes I was so happy but I knew I couldn't get too comfortable I might not stay very long.
    I decided to get to make the most of it and get some more information about my mom and dad and went straight to the computer and no matter how hard I tried I could not remember the face so I got up and started to look around I left the room innocent look and then I saw something in my room I couldn't believe right on top of the TV set I don't know how I missed that. They look really weird looking glasses like they had some kind of techy look to them for the handle so I tried them on but the lenses looked kind of like a computer screen they weren't even real sunglasses they were like techy stuff kind of like that and then I started to remember my mom and dad the day the only day that I can remember what time the drop me off in a cardboard box by and ally can't really picture their faces then I did they showed up on the sunglasses it was like they were connected to my brain so I started to look up their history apparently they had a lot of ID’s lots of them are dead that means I have to find one of them that was alive I kept looking and looking then I decided to search it and there it was the one ID they have where both of them are alive I decided that that was enough I would look more tomorrow so I went back into the main hall and I saw a bunch of other kids training they were all doing different things and of course this professor D was there he saw me he told me to come over there of course I didn't but then he used his dumb powers on me like he did the first time we met still not a fan of them
"pleased to see you joining us"
"as if I'm here because I'm bored, and I need to talk to you in private”
“later, I’m teaching a class that you should be in”
I get it you want me to take this dumb class well until I find my mom and dad I don’t trust you, I thought to myself I‘m not that rude that I wouldn’t say that to his face, good thing he can’t read my thoughts
“that wasn’t very nice of you”  a voice said
  “we all take this class that you call dumb and we all trust Professor D so how dare you”
  It was a little kid in the corner everyone looked at me including professor D
“the reason I thought it is because no one was supposed hear it”
I stormed off back to my room the nerve of that kid but I didn’t care after all what was he going to do kick me out he needs me and he knew it. After a while someone knocked on my door I assumed it was professor D so I said
“go away and don’t try to get me up with your hand trick or whatever” 
“it’s not professor D”
I opened the door to see who it was it  was short girl I didn’t see in the class.
“I just came to get the tech sunglasses”
“their on the table” I said to her
“I heard what you said about not trusting professor D”
“here we go let me guess you’re going to lecture me on trust and how I should trust professor D like all of you do”
“no I was going to say that you don’t have to trust him but you should let him help you control your powers”
She was almost out the door when I asked
“what’s your name?”
“it’s Emma”
“wait one more thing do you know anyone here with super speed?”
“super seed huh, thats Daniel”
This time I let her leave no follow up questions and from there I knew exactly how to find my mom and dad.

Chapter 2
       “Come on please”
“No you are not using Daniel’s super speed to find your parents who may I remind you, you have no idea where they are”
“I can find them but I need Davids super speed to get their”
“no the answer is no”
I got so mad he push me over the edge and I had to do it
“I trust you” I said
I was surprised as anyone to hear myself say that but to be fair he was protecting me and he already knew I didn’t like him so I got a new respect for him
“And I want you to teach me but in private not in a class and I think you’re right, as much as it kills me to say it I was wrong”
He was shocked almost as shocked as me to hear what was coming out of my mouth
“I’m not going to change my mind but if you’re willing to I would be happy to train you we start tomorrow 11:00am don’t be late”.
For once I was going to follow orders as tempting as would be to go behind his back and do it anyway I wasn’t going to, I needed to focus on controlling my powers and that meant working with professor D and trusting him no matter how much it kills me to say he was right.
   Anyway I was so happy that I was about to learn more about myself and what I’m capable of maybe I can move stuff with my mind I used my hand like professor D did and I figure I had to think hard about what I wanted so I pointed at a pencil and wanted to make it come to me so I thought really hard and nothing this is why I need the lessons. All of a sudden someone knocked on my door I opened the door to see who it was and when I opened the door a really cute boy was standing there
“hey heard you were looking for me”
“wait you’re Daniel the kid with super speed”
“yeah thats me Emma told me you needed my speed”
I was speechless he was just so cute I finally snapped out of it and said...
“oh, um I did but I’m good now not that I don’t need you or you’re not good enough it’s that um, I just changed my mind”
“well thats too bad if you need a lift anywhere I’m right across the hall”
Then he turned his back and walked away I was in love and I knew it, but I sadly couldn’t think about love I needed to focus on my powers which was to bad because I think he likes me too but sorry Daniel I need to focus on me right now and you’re a distraction (love you)

The next day I was so excited about my first lesson to learn how to control my powers I can’t wait to see what I can really do! I couldn’t wait that day it was only 10:00 so I still had an hour of waiting so I decided to go see Emma down the hall and learn more about what I going to be expecting from my lesson today. I walk out of my room and walked down the hall it wasn’t hard to find her room because everybodys room had their name on it so I was just looking for the door that said Emma’s room, I kept looking and looking all through the halls I couldn’t find it was so weird so  I went to Daniel’s room he was in their

“hey Ruth what’s up” he asked looking at me with his dreamy eyes but I quickly snapped myself out of it
“um, I was looking for Emma’s room but it wasn’t in the hall but I didn’t see her door in the hall”
“what are you talking about Emma’s room wouldn’t be in the regular hall”
“why not?”
“because she’s professor D’s daughter she has the room next to his in the other hall”
“I did not know that can you take me to her I want to talk to her about something”
“no way, she’s never allowed out of her room or to see anyone, hey how do you even know about her?”
“she came to my room to get the tech sunglasses”
“that’s impossible she is forbidden to have contact with other humans or living things!"
"Wait if she is not allowed to talk to other people then how did you find out I needed your super speed? because Emma is the only one I asked about you, I mean you're super speed"
That was embarrassing it sounded like I wanted to find out more about his life like a stalker.
"well, I...uh, I overheard you" he said sounding unsure of himself.
Well now I know he can never lie to me because he is terrible at it.
"ok fine I’ll tell you but you have to promises never to tell anyone"
"ok I promise"
"I'm secretly dating her thats how I knew that you need my super speed"
"but I thought you were dating Kira"
"how did you know?"
"I don't know maybe this picture of you and Kira kissing with the words david+kira"
I pick It up and showed it to him now I couldn’t be less interested with this player and I wanted to expose him but then Emma would get in huge trouble with her dad for sneaking out to date Daniel and I can’t do that to her but if I did what else could he do to her she’s already not allowed to see or meet new people and what is he protecting her from? I didn’t know the answer to these questions but so help me I will know them if they want my help to lead the revolution.
     “Hey professor D I thought that before we start we should learn more about each other you know if I’m going to trust you I need to know more about you”
“well what do you want to know?”
“well do you happen to have any family?”
“no they are all gone, next question”
“so you don’t have a daughter” way to be subtle 
“no I don’t why do you ask?”
“you are a terrible liar now tell me more about her”
“well she is very smart and extremely dangerous thats all you need to know”
“what’s her name?”
“Emma”
“can I meet her”
“no”
“why not?”
“the old Emma, my daughter is gone and has been replaced with that thing and I will never call that thing my daughter.”
“is that why you completely shut her out and cut her out of the world”
“ya she can never be normal”
“if she’s not your daughter what or who is she?”
“one of us but I could not teach her to control her powers and they took control over her, I was too late and she has never been the same”
“oh, I had no idea I’m sorry”
He wasn’t crying or even hurt I don’t know if he even cared about her I mean the way he spoke about her you would guess he really cared about her but the fact that he didn’t seem broken down at all he seemed fine and I’m was going to find out why he didn’t react like he loved her.
    “Now back to the lesson, what powers have you noticed that you have?”
“well when I get startled time stops and my hands start touching that person in weird places and then they just fall on the floor in pain twitching I think you saw that”
I still felt so guilty about what I did to that waitress at McDonalds that poor innocent woman and I still remember all the faces that were their and their faces were not full of amazement but full of fear and I will never forget it I’m a freak and a danger to everyone just like Emma…in the middle of my thoughts I remembered that I was in the middle of a lesson so I forced myself to go on in the lesson I learned that I can’t move things with my mind (I wasn't happy to hear that) but I did learn that out of all of them I was the strongest professor D Warned me that if I did not learn to control it, it would learn to control me. I ran out of the room this was the first time I really thought about it this way no one wanted to know if I could do it or if I needed to talk about it because it was a lot to take into them I’m just a dangerous freak. I sobbed in my pillow for a while “hey” I knew that voice so without even having to look I said
“Emma, what are you doing here” I dried my eyes got up and opened the door then went back to my bed.
“what I can’t drop by to see my friend”
“but you’re not allowed to have friends or boyfriends like Daniel”
I turned back to my pillow I don’t know why but it bothered me that she didn’t tell me all of this the first time we met
“oh so you put the pieces together huh” “actually I didn’t have to Daniel told me”
“that big mouth he’s a horrible liar, I was going to tell you but usually once I tell people everything they say that they're going to tell my dad and he will rip me to shreds because for some reason ever since I have been able to control my powers and gained new ones he can’t even call me his daughter anymore and I miss him”
“at least you had a dad for a little while I’m on the search for my parents”
She sat down next to me and petted my head I felt like a pet and the weird part was I kinda liked it
“I feel so bad for you but it’s ok at least If you find your parents they won't shut you out and make sure you know it and what hurts the most is that I use to be so close to him and now he thinks of me as a monster, but you know what? he's right"
Then that was it she marched out of the room, little did I know that she was not who I thought she was no one was.

I went to the main hall just to think I needed a moment to be me. I don’t know why my powers  are affecting my life so much I mean it hasn’t been affecting my life for the past 10 years, wait a minute maybe thats why my parents gave me up because I was a freak to them what if I find them will they accept me for the freak I am what if they don’t? what if they scream and run away from me? do I really want to take the chance of being rejected by my own parents? I’m so confused what if they were just poor at the time or they… they… huh, hum, just didn’t want me. No Im going to find them no matter what and thats final. I didn’t sleep well that night I had so many things on my mind like my parents, where Emma went after she left the room, and why did professor D act so cool when he talked about Emma, I was so confused with all of these thoughts in my head and now I had to go to sleep! there was no way I was going to sleep after the day I had so I just got out of bed and decided to explore the place maybe a way out when it’s time to go get my mom and dad and that time will come when I’m ready for it.

I looked around for a long time and then someone pulled me by the arm into a corner I was going to do the thing but he/she pulled my arms back smart, I tried to get a look at who it was but they were wearing a mask and it was dark his or her hand was over my mouth so I couldn't call for help then he/she dragged me to a room that I have never seen before then turned on the lights and took off the mask

"hey calm down it's me"
I took a look at his/her face it was Emma I calmed down and she took her hand off of my mouth I slapped her hard
"What is wrong with you kidnapping me in the middle of the night you scared me to death how could you do that you better have an amazing explanation for this”
“sorry but I need your help and before you say no this has something in it for you too”
“what could possibly be in this for me?”
“it has to do with finding and meeting your parents… ”
Could this be it, I have a chance at meeting my parents no I’m not ready but what if this is my only chance to meet them for a long time maybe forever so of course I was going to do it
“what can I do to help?”
“my dad takes to long to explain things about how to control your powers the real trick is to let your powers control you”
“no, now tell me how I can help because I am not doing that”
“well your lost, anyway I need you to freeze time when I tell you too, are you in?”
“that depends why would you need me to freeze time?”
“duh, so we can sneak out my dad will never let me out ever he still thinks my powers are evil and now I’m finally going to prove him wrong”
“how?”
“by saving my mom and reuniting an old family, please this is the only way to make him trust me”
I knew something was up but this could be my only shot and I know Emma is not evil she would never lie to me, right?.
“ok I’ll help you but you need to tell me where we are going and how we are going to get their?”
“do you want in or not?”
“answer the question or you can find another way to get out of here, and by the way my trust in you is slowly slipping away so if I were you I would hurry up and answer my questions”
“ fine we need to get to New Jersey and from their we are going to find the first ever bowling alley in New Jersey which is where all of our parents are, now are you in?”
I thought about it for a bit then said...
“how do you know they’ll all be there?”
“apparently they all work there”
The logic was a little shaky but I had to trust her or I might never find my parents.
“when do we leave?”
“right now come on let’s go get Daniel and then we leave”
I wasn’t to excited that we were taking Daniel with us but I’m not going to let him ruin my chance of meeting my parents, this  maybe be the one chance I'll get at finding and meeting them for the first time and no one was going to stop me.
  We walked silently down the hall to David’s room we knocked on the door and David opened the door I tried not to look at him because of our last conversation I just felt uncomfortable around him but I still thought he was kind of cute and no matter how hard I tried not to look at him he of course had to mention me he said
“hey I didn’t know this girl was coming”
He came closer I backed off he seemed to notice and looked at me funny
"k, I see, you don't like me"
He started to fake cry then of course Emma fell for it and said
“it's ok I still like you”
She looked at me like I just killed her puppy
"why would you do that"
Then she kissed him on the cheek
"but the real question is why would he care if he's your boyfriend?" They both looked at each other and then at me and Daniel said...
“how could you?”
“simple I spoke the truth”
then I continued to look at them.
“if you can’t handle that then why should I even come”
“you shouldn’t me and Emma can do this on our own right Emma?”
We both looked at her and I decided I couldn’t keep it from her anymore and it came out I looked away and said...
"I have something to tell you"
Daniel looked at me and his eyes said you better not but it was too late to talk me out of it she needed to know the truth about him.
"Daniel has another girlfriend"
She stopped and looked at Me she seemed not to believe me I went into Daniel’s room and grabbed the picture of him and Kira under the tree and gave it to Emma she seemed more hurt than anything else at first she looked like she didn't believe me then I saw that it was that she didn't want to believe me she moved away from Daniel but he followed her and try to throw me a lot of dirty looks but I knew I did the right thing by telling her the truth maybe now she’ll tell me more about our plan and now I’m pretty sure we’re not bringing David ,yes yes yes, so I had to be the supportive friend
“I wanted to tell sooner but I didn’t want to hurt your feelings”
“how long?”
“huh?”
“how long have you been dating Kira?!”
“it doesn’t matter, what matters is I’m over her and I love you”
That smooth talking backstabbing loser I just wanted to make him faint and twitch in pain then without thinking I actually did it
“why did you do that?”
“I don’t know I got mad and it just happened I am so sorry, wait I don’t want to lie to you so let me rephrase that, I am really really not sorry”
“same here but what are we going to do about the body?” she said in a panicking voice.
Then I got an idea.
“you know what?, grab his feet and I’ll grab his arms and we’ll put him back in bed and it will look like he is sleeping”
Then we counted to three and lifted him he was a lot heavier then he looked he was like an elephant who had lots and lots of junk food
“wait what are we doing? put him down”
I dropped him I was so relieved to put him down then out of nowhere he started floating then I figured out why
“Emma you couldn’t have done that before we picked him up seriously he weighs a ton”
I looked mad but inside I was laughing so hard that I couldn’t breath I don’t know why but this whole thing was just funny.
“ok I’m sorry now can you tuck him in while I get his teddy bear”
“wait David sleeps with a teddy bear that is so ridiculous” I started laughing but I still did what I was told and tucked him in,
I was afraid that if I laughed to hard I would wake him up so I covered my mouth and got out of the room. For some reason Emma went back in and came out with a piece of paper then she said
“freeze time while I take care of something”
I tried and tried but every time I kept freezing her too I unfreeze her but I just unfreeze everything else
“what are you waiting for just do it”
“fine!”
I got so angry at myself that I just made myself do it and I did it everything froze except me and Emma. I was so happy that I actually did it and I knew that I didn’t need professor D’s help because I can do it on my own.

After I was done being proud of myself we had to hurry up because I didn’t know how long I could hold it very long it was only my first time so I didn’t know how to make it last, Emma ran into the professor’s room for some reason

“what are you doing!?”
She came out with some cash
“oh no we are not stealing from your own dad!”
“he is not my father and he feels the same now come on we need it unless you want to walk all the way to New Jersey now come on”
“wait you're going on this mission to gain you fathers trust, why did you just say you don’t think of him as a father?”
My trust in Emma died.
“do you want to ask questions or do you want to find your parents?”
I wanted to do both but I let time start again then ran after Emma when I got close enough to her I froze time again but this time I froze her too and snached the money and went back to professor D’s room to return it then I thought about what would happen if we failed she would never gain her father's trust or find her mom and what about me I’d never meet my mom and dad. I pushed Emmas body outside without unfreezing her then I started time again
“what happened I don’t remember leaving and wheres the money?!”
“if you want my help you’ll do this my way and that means no stealing”
“what if I don’t want to, what if I just go back and get the money?”
“then I’ll freeze time and lock you in your room”
“fine lead the way cause now we have to walk from new york to new jersey”
I thought about it.
“maybe we do need daniel”
“what?!”
“he’s the only way I’m going to go get him and please be nice”
“fine go get him”
I froze time and walked in Daniels room he woke up thank god now I know it wears off
“well, well look what the cat dragged in what brings you here?”
“save it we need your super speed hat is it going to take to get you to come?”
“a kiss”
“no way anything else?”
“nope kiss me or you can find another way to new jersey”
“fine close your eyes”
I kissed my hand and slapped his lips
“you never said our lips had to touch and now lets go, and be nice to Emma don’t hurt her anymore than you already have”
“fine but I’m telling Emma you kissed me”
“and then I’ll tell her that I kissed my hand and slapped you across the face”
“whatever”
I froze time an snuck out with Daniel( the cute, adorable creep) and met Emma outside
“come on we don’t have time”
Emma said rushing me and Daniel we all ran into an alley daniel was running at a normal pace I guessed he could control his speed. We stopped in an alley then I realized...
“Daniel do you know how to get to new jersey”
“no I thought you guys brought a map or something”
While me and daniel were thinking of what we were going to do Emma pulled out the tech sunglasses and put them on Daniels face.
“just think about where you want to go”
“hey I said no stealing”
“we’ll bring them back don’t worry”
“ok now hop on”
Me and Emma tried to hop on and thats when we realized we both didn’t fit
“hey I’ve got a idea”
Emma ran over to some trash cans and took the lids grabbed some rope and old cable wires tied everything together and tied the ends of the wires to daniels hands and sat down on one of the lids and grabbed the wire I sat down next to her in the other trash can lid and held on with my life and at the same time we yelled
“go now!!!”
He bolted the trash can lids went everywhere every bump we hit we flew a little it was hard to hold on and I felt sick. Then he stopped
“why are we stopping?!”
“we’re almost there I’m tired and there not another hotel for miles”
“but we have no money”
“I thought you were going to take some from your dad”
“I was but Ruth made me put it back and since it Ruths fault I say we make her fix it with my brilliant plan”
I didn’t like the sound of this
“what plan?”
“you freeze time walk in there take a key to a room with three bedrooms and unfreeze us in the morning you freeze time and we give the room back then we leave”
“no way I said no stealing!”
“it’s not stealing if we bring it back plus its not going anywhere”
I had no choice I was also hungry and tired I did what I was told and got the best room I could get that wasn’t reserved I un froze Emma and Daniel and we snuck into the room.
“This room is the best! you’re the best!”
He hugged me I pushed him off is it wired to hate someone you think is totally dreamy?
“I have to say Ruth he’s right this room is fantastic”
“thanks, we better get some rest we leave first thing tomorrow”
“no way this TV has cable lets stay up and watch a movie and leave in the after noon tomorrow”
“I  vote for daniel's plan”
“ fine but I’m not going to forget that we leave at noon”
After the movie I wanted to get some answers from Emma so I followed Emma into her room when she saw me she turned and looked annoyed.
"what do you want?"
"I just want to ask you some questions please?"
"fine you get ten questions"
"not counting follow up questions?"
"fine go"
"when we were leaving why did you say that professor D is not your father when the whole point of this is to make him trust you again?"
"until he can call me his daughter I refuse to call him my father and I don't like the fact that you judge the relationship of me nd my father when you don't even have any"
Well that hurt
"and BTW why are you asking me questions when you’re the new-bee you don't know how any of this works" and that killed me,
"ALL I WANT TO KNOW NOW IS WHERE’S EMMA!!!!!!, because you’re not the girl I met on the first day"
"what are you talking about I'm  right here"
"no your not Emma not the one I know, I'm going home by calling your not dad"
"I wouldn't do that if I were you"
"oh ya well watch me!"
Then all of a sudden the door slammed in my face and Emma appeared.
"I tried to be nice"
then everything went black......