A Twist of Fate | Teen Ink

A Twist of Fate

By bryyyana BRONZE, Montville, New Jersey
bryyyana BRONZE, Montville, New Jersey

EXT. PAN. - A house in northern California, nothing extravagant, but not a small house either. Healthy looking green grass and a reclining chair on the front porch. There is a little girl with straight auburn hair, blowing bubbles and chasing them around. She is wearing a pink dress with a bow in her hair. Her parents are sitting on a recliner talking and laughing; the scene gives the impression of a perfect family.

V.O.
I believe in fate. And that belief is greater than anything I’ve ever believed in. And I believe in a lot of things. I believe in the power of love. And that good people still exist. And that time heals all wounds. But I guess it took me a while to get here. We aren’t born knowing everything would be ok. We’re born with a GPS. A tracking device, really. When my mom first told me the necklace that hung around my neck would lead me to my soul mate, I thought it was some kind of fairytale. She said the necklace would change color, as I got closer to him. First, violet, then blue, green, yellow, orange, red, and lastly, when we first kiss, black. And so the search began.

INT. - A night club. SARAH is sitting at the bar. She is wearing a tight dress, which she repeatedly tries to pull down so that it is appropriate. The five-inch heels she is wearing make the dress appear shorter. She is clearly trying to catch the attention of the men around her, but they are all preoccupied with either another girl or their guy friends.

RANDOM GUY
Hey, good looking.

SARAH
(Turns around, smiles eagerly. Sees that RANDOM GUY is actually not talking to her, but to a girl two seats to her right. She turns red and tries to play it off by ordering a drink.)

RANDOM GIRL
Hey, not so good looking.

RANDOM GUY
(Walks over to RANDOM GIRL and sits in the seat between her and SARAH. Puts his arm around RANDOM GIRL)

RANDOM GIRL
Ew, creep, please stop touching me!

RANDOM GUY
Come on, you know you like it.

RANDOM GIRL
I’m going to call security in about three seconds if you don’t get off of me.

RANDOM GUY
(Grabs his drink and stands up. Throws up his hands in mock surrender) Whatever, babe. Suit yourself. (Walks straight out of bar)

SARAH
(Is frustrated that other girls get attention and turn it down.) Holy crap. I just can’t catch a break. (Begins to stand up, but when her shoe hits the ground, her heel breaks. She tries to blink away tears, but they are coming too quickly. Turns to BARTENDER) Excuse me, where is the bathroom?

BARTENDER
Down that hallway, third door on the left.

SARAH
Thank you. (Grabs her purse, takes broken shoe off, and stumbles to the bathroom. Finally lets tears run down her face. Her makeup begins to smear and it becomes evident to the viewer how much makeup she is actually wearing. She grabs her pendant and desperately tries to break the chain, but is unsuccessful. The bathroom door opens and two other girls enter, one girl’s necklace is glowing a bright orange, the other’s, a strong red. They are mid-laugh. SARAH quickly takes a paper towel and wipes the mascara off of her face. The girls apply more makeup and discuss the boys they met tonight. She goes back out to where she was sitting and orders again.)

Now, SARAH has three empty drinks in front of her and is sipping a fourth.

SARAH
You know what, it isn’t very busy tonight, I’m gonna get going. (Throws a few dollars on the table. BARTENDER raises his hand in recognition.)

END OF SCENE ONE

SARAH walks out to her car, sits in the driver’s seat, and takes a deep breath. She finally calms herself down and puts the key in the ignition. The car turns on and she begins driving. As she is pulling out of the parking lot it begins to downpour. She frantically tries to turn on the windshield wipers, but they are nothing against the strong rain. SARAH squints and tries to see through the rain, but it is near impossible. All of the sudden, a driver from the left lane swerves slightly into hers and hits her right rearview mirror. The impact causes it to completely break off. The mirror flies down the highway and is completely gone. She drives her car to the shoulder of the road and so does the other car. She recognizes the driver as the desperate guy from the bar. Her and RANDOM GUY get out of their cars and approach one another.

SARAH
What the hell was that?

RANDOM GUY
My bad. The road was slick. It’s raining, in case you haven’t noticed.

SARAH
(Taken aback by his attitude) Whatever, just write me a check for it.

RANDOM GUY
I’ll call for a tow truck to bring your car to the station.

SARAH
I can drive with it like this.

RANDOM GUY
No, honey, that’s not legal. And if the cops pass you you’re in big trouble. Mine is in good enough shape, I could drive you home. Why don’t you come with me? We can get food and then I’ll drop you off at home. I have my own car repair shop and I’ll take care of it first thing in the morning.

SARAH
(Hesitates, but nods.) Ok, that sounds nice. Thank you. (RANDOM GUY opens the passenger seat door for SARAH and she gets into the car. She tries not to drip on the seat because she is soaking wet from the rain, but he plops right down in his seat. They both accept it is inevitable.)

RANDOM GUY
(Turns on the car and begins driving. They drive in silence for a few minutes) So, what is your name, mystery girl?

SARAH
(Smiles and blushes slightly) Sarah. My name is Sarah Ortley.

RANDOM GUY
Sarah, huh? I’m Matt. You’re pretty hot for a Sarah. Sarah is such a boring name. But you actually pull it off.

SARAH
Thanks? I guess? (SARAH looks down, oddly flattered by this.)

MATT
Do you get out a lot?

SARAH
I mean, I think so. I was just driving home from the club.

MATT
Oh, so you’re single?

SARAH
Yeah.

MATT
I hit the right car then. You should come back to my place after we get dinner.

SARAH
(Taken aback by this blatant invitation. Looks down at her necklace. It is now navy blue. Excited but doubtful, she looks up at MATT) Yes! That sounds perfect.

END OF SCENE TWO

INT.- Later that night at MATT’s apartment. SARAH’s necklace is now yellow. They are watching CSI Miami on his couch.

MATT
(Puts his arm around SARAH)

SARAH
(Shifts uncomfortably. MATT notices, and leans in kiss her. SARAH stops him.) Matt, I-

MATT
Shhhh. Don’t say anything. This is perfect, isn’t it? Just you and me.

SARAH
Matt, I’ve known you for three hours, I don’t even know your last name, this isn’t r-

MATT
Right? You’re trying to tell me it isn’t right? Then how come your necklace is orange?

SARAH
(Looks down at her necklace. Looks at his. It is still purple) But what about yours? It hasn’t changed.

MATT
It’s all right, sweetheart. Mine will. You’re more important.

SARAH
(Enjoys the attention she is getting and kisses MATT)
DAN, MATT’s brother walks down the steps. He is annoyed by what he sees, but rolls his eyes to give the viewer the impression that this is not the first time this has happened.

DAN
(Clears throat)

SARAH
(Stops what she is doing and looks up. MATT waves him off.)

MATT
It’s just my brother. It doesn’t matter.(Boom is heard from upstairs) What the hell was that?

DAN
That was John. He’s pretty drunk.

MATT
There’s other people here? Didn’t I tell you you have to get my permission before bringing people here?

DAN
Oh but it’s okay if you bring girls home every other night?

MATT
Whatever. (looks at Sarah) Just ignore him.

SARAH
(Is clearly made uncomfortable by DAN’s presence, but listens to Matt. Ignores DAN. DAN walks into his room and slams the door.)

MATT
You know what? You should spend the night.

SARAH
No, no, I think you misunderstood me, I’m not here for that.

MATT
I know. But we’re all adults here. It’s not like your mom set a curfew for you or anything. You can spend your night however you like. And I think you should spend it with me.

SARAH
I really don’t think it’s a good idea.

MATT
I insist. I would never let a girl as beautiful as you walk out that door.

SARAH
Matt, I-

MATT does not respond, but interrupts SARAH by kissing her. SARAH doesn’t resist.

END OF SCENE THREE

INT.- The same girl from the first V.O., sitting in her bedroom crying, male and female voices are fighting, heard in the background. Then, an image of a man by himself drowning a bottle of bourbon. The woman walks in and tries to take it from him, but he pulls it back with force and drinks more. This happens several times. The woman gets frustrated and throws her hands in the air, signaling that she gives up. She then storms out of the room.

V.O.
We had been dating for a month now and Matt still didn’t know what kind of car I drove. He hadn’t called me beautiful, or told me about his childhood. He hadn’t even tried to hold my hand once. I was beginning to tell myself this was Matt, and not everyone is perfect, and when you like someone you accept the good and the bad. And that this was just the bad. One day I would say something, I told myself.

INT.- Monte Carlo’s restaurant, downtown California

One month later. SARAH and MATT are at an upscale restaurant. SARAH is wearing a dress and wedges; MATT is wearing khakis and a t-shirt, clearly not in accordance with what he should be wearing. They aren’t talking much, just playing with their napkins and utensils.

WAITER
Good evening. Welcome to the Monte Carlo. What can I start you off with tonight? Some wine? Pellegrino?

MATT
I’ll take a Budweiser. She’ll have one too.

SARAH
I don’t really like beer, Matt.

WAITER
What would you like instead? We have a nice Bianco Toscana in the back. I can chill that for you.

SARAH
That’s white right? (WAITER nods) I’ll have that. Thank you. (WAITER nods again, scribbles something in his notepad and leaves the table)

MATT
(Shaking his head) You’re unbelievable.

SARAH
What? I don’t like beer.

MATT
You’re gonna have to pay for your own meal then. I’m not paying for that crap. It’s like fifty dollars a bottle.

SARAH
Ok. Fine. (Takes out a fifty-dollar bill and slams it on the table. The conversation is escalating) I have to say, this is definitely a first, paying for my own meal on a date.

MATT
What’s that supposed to mean? I’m not made of money.

SARAH
You’re right, but you throw it away like it’s nothing.

MATT
Are you kidding? I don’t waste a dime.

SARAH
You’re kidding yourself. You go to Giants games every other week and singlehandedly keep Budweiser in business. Maybe if you stopped drinking so much you’d have more money in your wallet. And get rid of that beer belly you’ve been complaining about.

MATT
My weight is fine! And how else am I supposed to enjoy my life if I can’t spend my money? I’m the one who earns it.

SARAH
You’re a joke Matt Coleman.

MATT
Excuse me?

SARAH
You’re excused. If you don’t mind I’m gonna get going. I’ll catch a cab home. Enjoy your beer.

SARAH leaves. MATT is left sitting alone, speechless.
END OF SCENE FOUR

INT.- BEDROOM OF SARAH’S CHILDHOOD HOME
It is nighttime, SARAH’s father is lying down in bed, sick. He is unconscious. His wife is by his side, holding his hand. Tears are streaming down her face. Young SARAH is watching from the barely opened door. Her parents do not see her there.

V.O.
I knew he was wrong for me. I knew right then and there that Matt wasn’t my soul mate. But I had come this far, so I had to go with it, right? Wrong. I told myself that I was never going to find the guy who made my stomach feel funny and my knees weak. And this is as close as it was gonna get. But it wasn’t. I wish I could go back and tell myself that. Because Matt and I were like a ticking time bomb. One second, we were fine, and the next, we were yelling at each other over something so ridiculous. And it was only a matter of time before something exploded.

(Phone rings. SARAH runs to grab her phone off of her nightstand. She picks it up on the first ring)

SARAH
I’m sorry, Matt. I don’t know what I was saying last night it was rude and unnecessary and I know you work hard and I know you have fun at Giants games and I’m sorry for ordering expensive wine I shouldn’t have I guess I just wanted to enjoy the night and-

MATT
Did it ever occur to you that you’re selfish?

SARAH
No, but maybe I am. I guess I hadn’t really thought of it that way, I’m sorry, Matt, I really like you and I want this to work out so we need to work on this. Why don’t you come over and we can talk?

MATT
I’m sorry but I can’t be with someone like you. I have never met anyone so self-centered and hostile. Always worried about your own problems. And that stupid necklace. You care more about yours changing colors than anything. That’s your problem. I’m sorry, but we are done. Goodbye Sarah. (Hangs up. Dial tone is heard)

SARAH
(What he says sinks in, and SARAH takes a deep breath and opens her mouth to speak, but nothing comes out. She can only manage a few words) Um, okay. Bye.

SARAH slowly walks over to her bed and sits on the edge of it. Tears begin to stream down her face.
END OF SCENE FIVE

INT.- A FUNERAL HOME
The same little girl, now wearing a small black dress, says goodbye to her Dad. She is kneeling over his casket, not fully understanding what it means to lose someone. The woman is still holding her husband’s hand, even though he is no longer alive. It is assumed that SARAH’s dad died from alcohol abuse.

V.O.
That was when I realized what I had been doing. I was so desperate to find the right person that I lost sight of what was really important. Matt never really made me feel good about myself. In fact, he dragged me down and made me into someone I wasn’t proud of. And so I went back to my usual routine. But this time, I had grown so tired of searching, I just gave up. It was a better life for me. I wasn’t really happy, but I had let go of the pressure of finding the perfect person. It was like a weight off my shoulders. And I realized I didn’t need anyone else. But then I thought, what if there wasn’t anyone else? What if there was no one right for me?

INT.- The same nightclub

SARAH is sitting in the same spot as she was in the first scene, stirring her drink absentmindedly. It is the same drink as the first scene.

BARTENDER
Can I get you anything else?

SARAH
Yeah, I’ll take the usual water.

BARTENDER
(Nods) What’s wrong? Broken heart?

SARAH
Yeah, the usual sob story.

BARTENDER
What’d he do?

SARAH
Sweet-talked me and I was stupid enough to fall for it. Then dropped me like I was nothing. You know, on second thought, I’ll take a bourbon.

BARTENDER
Coming right up. (Pauses to mix drink) I’ve seen that type before. Stereotypical, narcissistic, asshole.

SARAH
Something like that.

BARTENDER
Don’t let yourself get bent out of shape over those guys. You deserve better. I can tell.

SARAH
I know. I just really hope I find someone someday, you know?

BARTENDER
(Hands SARAH her bourbon)

SARAH
(Takes a long sip of it. Makes disgusted face. Mumbles) How did Dad ever drink this?

BARTENDER
What?

SARAH
Nothing. I should really get going.

BARTENDER
Wait, can I ask you something?

SARAH
Sure, anything.

BARTENDER
It’s just that you seem really familiar. I don’t mean to sound weird or anything but I just get the feeling I’ve seen you before.

SARAH
Me too, a little bit. (Doesn’t actually recognize him, but is being polite.) What’s your name?

BARTENDER
Dan Coleman.

SARAH
(Looks up, shocked. She is now realizing that DAN is MATT’s brother) I-I have to go. (Gets up to leave)

BARTENDER
What do you mean? (Makes the connection) Wait, no, Sarah, don’t-

SARAH leaves. Once again, she runs to her car, distraught. It is pouring. She gets into it and begins to cry again. After a few minutes, she tries to compose herself. She glances in the rearview mirror to check her makeup, and begins wiping her mascara off of her cheeks. Suddenly she stops what she is doing and realizes her necklace has changed color. It is now red.
END OF SCENE SIX

Meanwhile, DAN is inside taking in what has just happened. He looks down at his necklace and sees that it has turned red. A man taps him on the shoulder to ask for a drink, but he ignores it. He takes off in a sprint to catch SARAH. He runs to each car in the parking lot and looks in the passenger seat windows, desperate to find which one is hers. Hers is one of the last cars in the parking lot. He peers into her passenger seat window, sees her crying, and tries to open the door. It is locked. He bangs on the door. At first, she shakes her head. He bangs again and she hesitates, but she unlocks it, feeling bad for him because of the rain. He gets in.

DAN
Sarah, you’re my-

SARAH
No. Don’t even say that, Dan. This can’t be right. We can’t do this. He hurt me.

DAN
So? He’s always been that way. He does that to every girl he meets. And it works for him. He’s like my dad. Just like that goddamn liar.

SARAH
What?

DAN
My dad. Matt followed right in his footsteps, sleeping around and taking advantage.

SARAH
Your dad was like that?

DAN
My dad would get bored of my mom and just decide to disappear to a hotel for a night. No one asked where he was; we all knew what he was doing. Just no one wanted to say it out loud.

SARAH
What about your mom?

DAN
It killed her. Feeling like she wasn’t enough made her so depressed. When my dad finally got the common sense to leave us she packed up too and moved to New York.

SARAH
That’s awful.

DAN
Yeah, I miss her. We used to be really close. But she’s happier there. Away from all the pain and betrayal. I don’t blame her.

SARAH
And what about your dad?

DAN
He died. A few years ago. But it’s like he’s still here, Matt’s a carbon copy.

SARAH
I don’t get it. You and Matt seem so close.

DAN
Yeah, but we haven’t spoken in years. We just both can’t afford to move out. I’m a bartender, living on tips, and Matt’s an auto technician. And you know how he is with his money. Sharing the rent is the only way we get by.

SARAH
(Considers this for a moment but shakes her head) Dan, this is messed up, I can’t do this. You have to go.

DAN
Can we at least give this a try?

SARAH
No, Dan.

DAN
Sarah, this could be it.

SARAH
Fine. Then I’ll leave. (Gets out of the car and slams the door. Starts stamping off in the opposite direction with no destination.)

DAN
Sarah, how can you just walk away from this? Isn’t this what you wanted? To find your soul mate?

SARAH
Yeah. Maybe it was. But now things are different. I’d rather be alone than with someone who’s going to hurt me.

DAN
That’s not it, though. I’m not him. Just because we’re brothers doesn’t mean we’re the same person. I didn’t let Dad get to me. Why won’t you just give it a chance?

SARAH
Because I know what’s going to happen. All men are the same. Why would you be the one to surprise me?

DAN kisses her. It is a very typical cliché movie kiss in the rain. SARAH doesn’t resist.

DAN
Surprising enough for you?

SARAH glances away shyly and notices the stone on her necklace is now black. She smiles.

END OF SCENE SEVEN
FADE OUT