The Future Is Now | Teen Ink

The Future Is Now

May 28, 2014
By craigmyle46, Milford, Ohio
More by this author
craigmyle46, Milford, Ohio
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”


The Future is Now


This is the real world. It isn’t a fantasy or our imagination. There are people in this world who are different. Some have powers like superheroes. Others have new, unique powers. But the government is strong and powerful. They are capturing these people and cloning them for their genes and DNA. I am one of these people. But I cannot, no, I will not be captured. This is the real world. And there’s no going back now.

I was born on April 8, 2066, in Amador Beach, California, named Kiera Hadley. My parents didn’t expect for me to be like this, but found out when I was young. I have multiple powers including healing, invisibility, and telekinesis. My best friend, Aiden Thompson, is just like me, powers and everything. We met each other on the day our powers came, the day we realized we were unique compared to everyone else.

It was March 8, 2082, five years after the government turned evil on everyone. Almost everyone in my family was safe, almost everyone. My Uncle Daryl was just like me, I got all of the same powers as him. But one day, he left our community to go harvest our crops and poof. He vanished. No one noticed until we called a town meeting and he wasn't there. I remembered that he went outside and I checked to see if he was there, and it was so quiet outside you could hear a pin drop. My life has never been the same since. I have been scared and worried out of my mind. Nothing is the same. And it never will be.
It was the first day I was finally going to go outside after Uncle Daryl disappeared. I grabbed my bag and rushed out of our village into the broad daylight. I haven’t been outside in years, so I took in all the scenery and fresh air at once. I never realized how pale I was until today, but I didn’t care. I was outside. I was in the palm of mother nature. And no one could stop me from enjoying it. I whipped my brown braid onto my back and ran for miles. Today, I was going to be a scout; I was going to make sure no one would ever find us.

After hours of being in the sun, I decided to go grab a bite to eat. I was miles from home and I knew I couldn’t run back fast enough to make it for dinner. I walked for a few minutes before finding a gas station with snacks inside. I swung open the door and felt the cool AC on my burning hot body. I scanned the food section and picked up some chips, a hot dog, cheddar pretzels, one water, and a soda. I remembered I packed $300 in my bag because this was a three day trip. I went up to the register, payed and then dug right into my food. I saved the water for later, knowing I would get dehydrated. I was already feeling tired, but I knew I had to fight the fatigue. This was my time to prove that I am worthy of living my own life, while still hiding my identity.

I decided that being alone was not for me and texted Aiden to meet me at Hawk’s Peak. Hawk’s Peak is a huge hill five miles outside our village. Whenever Aiden or my mom had to travel outside, we always scheduled to meet out there. I ran as fast as I could to get to the base of the hill and noticed Aiden was already sitting there waiting for me.

“Hey, how are you already here?” I asked, knowing he’d give me a stupid answer.

“Well, considering I have known you for your whole entire life, I knew you wouldn’t even last a day without texting me or calling me” He replied.
Of course, I was right, yet again. Every time this happens, I get the same exact answer.

“So, anything exciting happen in the past 24 hours?” I asked, knowing our village would be exactly the same as I left it.

“Well, the hunters came looking for you, and I told them exactly where you were and what you were doing.” Aiden calmly replied.

“Oh why am I not shocked?” I sarcastically spat out at him. I know Aiden so well, I figured he would say this.

“I’m just kidding. So how was your trip outside of town?”

“Fantastic, actually. I have never been so free in my life.”

“Kiera, duck!” Aiden screamed at the top of his lungs.

I immediately did that as I heard guns being fired from every direction.

“Kiera, go, leave!” Aiden yelped before firing the pistol he always carries.

I ran for my life, knowing that if I didn’t, I would never see Aiden again. I looked back when I was far enough away, and I saw the hunters scrambling out of their cars. They were really here, they had found us, and now, they were coming for me.

I tried a million times to call my mother from a payphone because I realized that this whole entire mess was my fault. They were searching for signals in my region and found mine when I texted Aiden. I've never been so careless and stupid. I caused everything that has happened and I might have killed my best friend just by using that stupid phone.

The next night, I stayed at a hotel, not a fancy one, just the crappiest one ever. It only cost $20 a night, and it was miles from home. I can’t believe I abandoned my whole entire family and left them to die there. Hopefully, people in the town heard the gunshots and they came to help and rescue Aiden. If not, then there’s nothing there except carcasses of friends and family that I failed to protect. And now, it’s my duty to continue all of their legacies.

I woke up the next morning and felt pain in my shoulder. I looked in the mirror and saw dry blood all over. I ran to the bathroom and cleaned it off to find a bullet. No wonder something didn't feel right when I was asleep. I carefully removed the bullet and laid my hand on my shoulder. My healing power finally kicked in and I was as good as new. Hopefully, so was everyone back in town. My mind was racing over what happened and I still can’t believe that what my mind is replaying in my head is real. I remember leaning against the bottom of the hill talking with Aiden and then bang. Guns were being shot and people were dying. And it was all because of me. I killed people just by communicating with my best friend. He already knew we had planned it, so why did I let them find us. Why?

That night, I turned on the TV and of course, there was a news report on about how the hunters finally found the small village hidden in the deep valley. Apparently, they video taped the whole thing, and sure enough, there I was, the girl that ran away from the trouble because she was scared. I’m an idiot I thought to myself. Why was I so selfish? No, why am I so selfish? Here i am sitting in a hotel, watching TV, while everyone in my town is fighting for their lives. I have never been so stupid in my life. Why couldn’t I be more like Aiden? He would have never run away. Then again, he was the one that told me to run. He was probably just trying to protect me. Now, I will never even see him again. All because of my own stupidity. I should have never left our town. They should’ve sent someone else, someone who has common sense. Someone who is selfless. Someone who isn't me.

When I woke up the next morning, my body felt drained of energy and I knew that guilt was setting in. I had to make everything right. I'd rather die than have my best friend, the person who knows everything about me, die. I wanted to fix this, no, I needed fix this. It was now or never.

As I arrived at the valley, I saw flashing and blinding lights. They had no idea I was here, but they weren't going to stop me. I snuck into the entrance of our village and saw red and black clothes everywhere. The hunters were the only people that wore those colors. I could barely see what was happening, but all of a sudden, I saw blue and gray. Aiden. The hunters had captured him. I couldn’t let him die while I was busy saving my own life. Then, I decided to do something brave, something selfless, something that would benefit someone who risked their lives for others.

“No!” I screamed at the top of my lungs, plunging out from the dark cavern I was hiding in. The hunters rushed over, dropping Aiden to the ground, letting him escape, letting him be free.

“Kiera!” Aiden shouted while trying to save me.


“Aiden, no, you need to leave. You can save yourself. They only want me.

They don’t need you. I am doing what’s right. I caused this problem and I’m going to fix it.” I broke the grasp of the hunters and before they could get me, I looked them in the eyes and said,

”Just let me say goodbye. Then, you can do whatever you want to me.” I walked over to Aiden and hugged him as hard as possible.

“I’m gonna miss you. Just please, don’t forget me and take care of my family.” I murmured. Then, because I knew this was the only chance I’d ever have, I kissed him.

“I love you, Aiden. I always have and I always will.”

“I love you too, Kiera. And I will never forget you.” I loosened my hug and kissed him one more time. And it was then, at that very moment, I swear time was frozen. I wanted to stay right there for the rest of my life. But I had to save my family, my friends, my community. I took a deep breath and walked away from Aiden. I glanced back to see him on his knees, sobbing into his hands. My heart told me not to leave him, but my mind told me to go. Leaving him was the only way to save him, and if I didn’t we’d both end up dead.

The hunters handcuffed me and drove me far out from my town, from my childhood and life, as far as they could take me from Aiden. he was the only thing I ever thought about now. He wasn’t just in my thoughts though, he was everywhere I looked. He invaded my life the day I left him. I didn’t realize until now the mistake I had made. I left everyone there, vulnerable now that they knew where everyone lived.

“ Do whatever experiments you want on me, just don’t kill them. Please.” I strongly stated at the hunters.

They wouldn’t respond no matter what I said. That was their job. Not to communicate with the extraordinaries (the people with supernatural powers), but to capture them and transport them to the Central. When I arrived there, I was led into a room covered in mirrors. I sat down on a table like one at a doctor’s office. This is where it ends. This is where people take my DNA and genetically mutated people like me. Or, if I’m useless, they kill me. This is the moment of truth. Did I live a real life with good, strong powers, or was I born with useless ones?

After an hour, someone finally opened the door. A nurse, I assume. she basically explained that what is happening is beneficial and that I will be help create the new world where everyone can be like me. I knew that this was a lie and she had this whole speech memorized when she got this job. Man, what people do to get any job in this society. They don’t even care that their job may be killing someone who is blooming with life that can carry this world on for generations. But why do I care? I’m just a teenager like they say. But, I am much more than that. I am someone with determination to save this world because it has gone off the deep end.

I laid my back on the cold metal table as I was told. I was given meds to make me go to sleep to make the process easier, which they did. In the examination, they would take a sample of my DNA and genes to see what powers I contained and at what level they were developed to. Then, the pills would wear off and my results would be ready. Or at least that’s what my “doctor”, or Dr.Miller, told me was happening. For all I know, they could be making clones of me at this very second. I don’t really know. I just want to leave and go back to Aiden. but every time I think that, my mind says no because I am saving his life here.
I woke up surrounded by nurses and doctors. They all let out a sigh of relief when my blue eyes popped open.

“What happened?” I questioned.

“You weren’t waking up and your pulse was abnormal.” Dr. Miller explained.

“Alright everyone, obviously she’s fine now. you can all leave except for me and Dr. Miller.” said the nurse that gave that tremendously long and boring speech.

“So what were my results?” I asked.

“Well, we’re not really sure.” Dr. Miller admitted.

“What do you mean ‘you’re not sure’?” I asked, getting worried.

“Your results were inconclusive. Your powers are so developed, that it’s nothing like we’ve seen before. I know you came here expecting death or worse, but we’re here to help you. We made a clone of you that is not nearly as strong and has early-developed powers. She will be used in place of you. You need to get out of here. You need to hide as far away as you can from here and your old valley. If there was one person from home you needed to be with you in hiding, you need to call them from the hospital phone now. There is about to be a change in our society. A revolution. And the only way you can be safe during it is to hide.” Heather, the nurse, explained in detail.

I knew I needed to call Aiden. He’s the only one other than my mother that I trust. I called him immediately and told him to meet me here. Dr. Miller already destroyed all of the security cameras and cleared security from the back entrance. Aiden would meet me there in an hour and then we would leave. But I kept wondering that if I am the strongest person in our world, why am I not going to be one of the people fighting in the revolution? But, I knew that what Dr. Miller and Heather instructed me to do was the safest plan for me. I’m not going to die today. I am going to live. I am going to be safe with Aiden. This is what’s going to save my life.

Exactly an hour later, Aiden arrived at the back door. Dr. Miller and Heather packed one bag of clothes and three bags of food and water for us. With my power of healing, a first-aid kit was unnecessary. We planned to walk as a far as possible for two days and then find a hidden place far away to stay until further notice. Heather handed me a pager that no signal tracker can detect. Today, I would escape the society and escape with person I love.

Two days finally passed and we found a deep cave to hide in. There was natural light seeping through small holes in the dirt, which was a relief because there was only one flashlight with one set of batteries, which wouldn’t really last that long. We emptied the bags to find 50 cans of canned soups and vegetables and 20 bottles of water. This would last maybe two to three months. Hopefully, the revolution would be over by then.

I woke up with a startle to find two officials dressed in white. My eyes darted around the cave and I realized Aiden was gone. No, no, no, no , no. How did they find us?

"Who are you? Why are you here?" I asked quickly.

"Well, Dr. Miller forgot to take down one security camera, so we saw everything."replied one of the officials.

"What have you done with him? What did you do with Aiden?" I asked when my mind was wandering around thinking of different responses they'd give me.

"Aiden has been taken away. And Dr. Miller, well, he'll be missed." replied one of the officials.

They killed him. A man risked his own life just to save mine. Why is everyone around me so selfless and I'm so selfish? And oh the things they could do with Aiden. They could've killed him, tortured him, cloned him, even experimented on him. You'd think a pretty boy like him would stay away from a troubled girl like me.

I zoomed back into the scene unfolding in front of me. I was immediately arrested after our little "discussion". They wouldn't be stupid enough to take me to the same compound as Aiden. I was then taken to the high security juvenile compound. Wow, 16 and still a "juvenile". I'll probably be kept in the same cell as a ten year old thug. Hey, at least I haven't lost my sense of humor throughout this.

After what felt like an eternity, we pulled up to the tall, electric gate guarding the building. Then, we pulled up to the stone gate where the officials had to report their personal identification numbers. Finally, I was yanked into the building. I could destroy this place in a minute with my telekinesis.

I woke up in a strange, dull room. I had steel headphones on my head and ears. I glanced in the corners to see spray paint can machines everywhere. These were to stop my invisibility and telekinesis. The headphones I guessed would release a strong, high-pitched noise whenever I concentrated to an extreme. The spray paint machines would spray paint everywhere if they noticed no one was in the room, spraying paint all over me, revealing that I would be invisible. Man, they really thought this over this time. They weren't going to lose me this time.

It has been so long since I've seen Aiden, or an actual human being. I've been in here for maybe weeks, even months. The headphones are my worst nightmare. All I hear now is a screech every time I even try to think about something or someone. I can't live like this. I have to leave, I have to find Aiden, and I have to be free.
Though I will never leave this cell of fear, I will not be afraid. I will get out of here. I will be free. The revolution is coming. They'll save me. They'll save Aiden. I will not die. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not while I'm in here.

Weeks and weeks of torture have passed. I've been interrogated, cloned, even experimented on. But today, I was saved. I woke up like I did everyday. This room has become a home for me. I sat on the bed staring at a blank wall that becomes a canvas in my head. It's painted with faces and memories. I closed my eyes to remember my past. All of a sudden, someone burst into the room. I don't know know who it was, but they started screaming about fires and break-ins. Then, they grabbed my hand and dragged me outside. Sure enough, the compound was blazing with fire. The revolution is here. And they are saving me. The same person ran me over to a military truck and pushed me in. Inside I saw Aiden and Heather.

"Aiden. You're safe." I heard myself say from a distance. My mind was still far away bringing up memories.

"Yeah. The revolution is here. And now we're free. We're leaving and going somewhere safe. Somewhere where we can live a good life in peace. " Aiden replied.

Life was new, restored. Everyone was free from the government, free from society. Families were united, friendships were restored. The way the old world worked was, everyone had a small choice in their life. They can choose to stay strong and never back down, or crumble under the pressure. But this is the real world, the new world. And the future is now.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.