Desvania | Teen Ink

Desvania

May 1, 2014
By dabanis15, Sellersville, Pennsylvania
More by this author
dabanis15, Sellersville, Pennsylvania
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note: I love sci-fi

“Gotta run… Gotta run…”, I think to myself. “Don’t look back.” I charge down the alleys of London with Dr.Harriet on my heels. “ How can a 67 year old keep up with me...ugh, he’s still on my trail.” I’m running with an antimatter bomb on my back to get money. The government will probably blow up the Earth. I realize my mistake and stop abruptly. Dr.Harriet sees me and vaults over me just in time. I set down the bomb and walk to Dr.Harriet who says, “I’ve had enough.” I open my mouth to say sorry and everything goes black…

I wake up with a throbbing headache. Everything is bright and I think I’m going blind, that is until the light is turned away. I try to move but I’m strapped down. Dr.Harriet comes into my view and I see his mouth move but I can’t hear him at all. He reaches over and pulls something out of my ear. I scream so loud because he is removing a bloody needle from my ear. It feels like he just scooped out my brain with a fork. I start thrashing and I start feeling the straps ripping. I give a big tug and they snap. I start to stand when Dr.Harriet pulls out a dart with a look of fear on his face and I know it’ll put me to sleep. I see the window and run towards it. The glass should have cut me but it doesn’t. This confuses me but I forget about it when I start falling. I start screaming but a voice says over my screams, “Open up your arms and forget about everything.” I do and this calmness comes over me. I look down and see that I’m floating over the city. I whoop as loud as I can and look up to see a giant billboard. I crash into it and fall. Everything starts going black again right before I hit the ground.

I wake up to the sounds of birds chirping and cars honking for the traffic to get a move on. At first I’m confused at being alive but I forget when I sit up and look around. The walls are a deep lapis lazuli and the carpet is black. The comforter is the same color as the walls and have a weird logo on them. It was this black scribble with a yellow sun in the middle. I get out from underneath the comforter and walk around the room. There are two white dressers up against the right wall and a huge walk-in closet. I open the drawers to find clothes that are literally made for me. On the left side there is a door that opens up to a bathroom and a huge flatscreen t.v. and an XBox 1 sitting underneath the t.v. on a stand. I turn on the XBox 1 and get ready to see what games are on it when Dr. Harriet strides in. He’s wearing a deep lapis lazuli with the same logo that’s on the comforter.The way he stands and walks reminds me of somebody but I don’t who.
“ How are you doing?” he asks me. I haven’t thought about it but I realize I’m hungry and sore.
I ask, “Do you have any food?”
“Yes, but you’re going to be hungry a lot now that you have the Chip.”, he says.
“What Chip?” I ask because I hate the feeling of somebody messing around with my mind. I feel like somebody is messing with my head right now. I don’t know why but I picture a huge, black sharp arrow and send it at the thing that’s bothering me. Right when it hits it’s target, Dr.Harriet gasps as if in pain.
“ You’re strong just like your father.” he croaks and shakes his head. Hearing about my father made me really angry and I balled up my fists to stop myself from crying.
“ Don’t ever talk about my “Daddy” again. You hear me.”, I say to him really slow.
“ I know how you feel. My dad abused me and my mum. You can talk to me if you need to.” The thought of talking to Dr.Harriet about my dad for some reason made me cry. I sit on the bed and through my tears tell Dr.Harriet about my dad.

“If I tell you about my dad don’t stop me or I will stop. My dad met my mom at a hotel when she was the housemaid. Mom fell in love with him but he despised “true luv”. When he saw her looking at him weird, he knew she was in love. He asked her to come with him and she did. She went with him on a plane ride to LA. She didn’t realize but my dad was flying around the world to visit the places his enemies were and set up microscopic cameras that he just made. They went to his beach house in LA and had a few great months. They didn’t mean to but I came up when my dad was starting drugs and he beat her so bad for having me that she still had bruises when I was borned. When he saw me, he gave me a look and then he walked out of the hospital with a smug smile on his face. My mom never saw him again but I hear her call him all the time. I hate his guts for leaving her alone with me, especially since I was a newborn.” I say.
“ Well I know your father. He is my Brother.”

“What! I just told you something that nobody knows except for me, you, and my dad. He left a letter for me to my mom and told her not to read it. Of course she trusted him and hid it until I could read whole books. Now you’re messing with my feelings! I HATE you so much.” He starts to say something but I don't hear because somebody is talking to me. At first I think I’m is losing it, but then I realize it is the same voice that was saying to keep calm when I is falling. I listen closely and can hear a soft lullaby coming off from the sound. “Go somewhere private so we can talk. Harriet can hear me if he wanted to. NOW!!!” I see the open door and run toward it. A ball of light came toward me and hits me in the chest and knocks me back. My vision fades away and my last thought is “Again?”

I wake up to somebody pushing me.
“John. Wake up. You need to meet the Desvania. John. Ugh,” somebody says. I bolt up to water splashing on my face. Somebody pulls me to my feet and drags me along the way. I act asleep but keep track of all the turns in case I need to leave in a hurry. A door is blown open and sunshine pours in. I turn around and see the roof. I look up to see Dr.Harriet pulling me to the roof. He picks me up and throws me over the edge. I start falling but I remember what the voice in my head says. I start flying away but something knocks me over. I look around and see my dad flying after me. I fly into a nook in the wall and cry my heart out. My dad tried to kill me I think. Half through a voice starts talking to me and we have a conversation.

“John, you need to go back. There is a war coming and you are our only hope. Go to Dr.Harriet and ask him to take you to the Desvania. He’ll ask you who sends you and say the One in The Head sends you. He’ll let you pass but you need to bring something for a sacrifice. Sacrifice your dad and tell them a war is coming. Now go, your dad didn’t find you because I turned you invisible. GO!!!!!!!!” I leap up and jump. I fly back to Dr.Harriet and he is talking to himself.
“Take me to the Desvania,” I say.
He looks surprised but says, “Who sends you?”
“The One in The Head”
He is really surprised but says, “Come with me” I follow him and still keep track of the passageways. He takes me to a hidden door and gently pushes me in. I walk in to see the oldest guy ever!
“Sit John, I’ve been waiting for you.” he says. So I do the most logical thing ever, I sit.

I sit on a plush chair and stay quiet.
“Let’s see how strong you are.” he says and then stops talking. I didn’t want to bother him so stopped moving too. We stay liked that for a while until he breaks the silence.
“So, tell me about the One in The Head. I didn’t even think it was Joe’s only son. Well.”
“The One in The Head said that a war is coming and we need to get ready… will we do anything. I know where they are and know the layout. I’ll get Dr.Harriet.” I say and stand up. I leave the room and see him leaning against the door.
“Let’s go. We need to get ready for the war.” I say.

I’m looking in the drawers in my room when there is a knock at the door. I open it to see Dr.Harriet standing there with this weird outfit.
“Hey… What’s that?” I ask.
“It’s for you. It was your grandfather’s battle suit. You’ll need it when we’re fighting.” he says. I take and say thank you. I quickly put over my clothes and saw that it was baggy. I wished it was smaller and slowly see it shrink until it fit me perfectly. We glance at each other as if it were our last time seeing the other person.
“Let’s go.” he says. We head up to the roof where there was a helicopter. We hop in and fly off. It was awkward with both of us looking out over the side to the ground far below.
“We’re almost there. Get ready.”

We land and run into the building that leads into the government base.
“Where are the guards?” I ask.
“The Desvania and took them out. We are looking for your dad, he is still here. Let’s Go” he says. We run through the building until there is only one room left. We stop outside it and silently wish each other good luck. We run in to find nobody there. Dr.hArriet go to say something but there is sudden movement and a sword is sticking out of his chest. I hear him cry in anguish and he falls. My dad is standing there with an angry look in his face. I run towards him and on the way pick up a piece of gravel on the way. I scream and hurl the gravel at him with all my strength. I see it turn ever so slowly and go straight through his face.He falls down with a huge hole in his face. I run toward Dr.Harriet and kneel next to him.
He says with his last breath, “I’m your father… not him. I lo….” I stay still and cry my heart out. I’m in so much pain that I don’t hear the old guy walk up behind me. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a glint but I don’t care. The guy picks up the sword and drives it through my back. It splits my heart in half but I don’t care. My last thought is that I am going with my father. Then the black comes in and stays there forever until a beat sounds. Over and over. I open my eyes and smile. I’m back I think.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


on May. 8 2014 at 8:30 am
CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina
5 articles 0 photos 248 comments

Favorite Quote:
Lego ergo sum (Latin—I read, therefore, I am)
The pen is mightier than the sword—unknown
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity—1 Timothy 4:12

Wow. Dramatic. Could have used a little more background, and you could've introduced the main character a little earlier. (Until you said his name was John, I couldn't tell it it was a boy or a girl). But the premise is good, and the story itself isn't bad:)