The Mind Curse | Teen Ink

The Mind Curse

By anika369, L.I.C., New York
anika369, L.I.C., New York

Author's note: Some of my favorite books have the same themes of finding out who you are. Also they have really cool powers that the characters have to deal with so I decided to write something similar. I hope people get a fun and thrilling experience from reading the story.

I never understood why that thought ever crossed my mind. There was something wrong about that day, I felt it somewhere deep inside me but I refused to acknowledge it. The day was as normal as any other day which made that feeling much more harder to believe. But I couldn't deny that, that day changed everything.

I’m a little different from other people. I can do things that some people might call impossible.

When I was little I used to do a lot of wishful thinking. I would have weird thoughts. They were weird because they felt so real, like I was experiencing it in that moment. There was this one time when I was about thirteen and I was in the mall with my best friend Abby. We've been in and out of stores and now we were just walking around the halls.

“I’m hungry, Dec,” Abby groans for about the fourteenth time.

“I know you are. I am too. Wait, where do they sell the cinnamon pretzels?” I replied.

“I don’t knooooow. We’ve been walking around forever.” She exaggerates.

I was also getting tired and my shoes felt like they were crushing my toes. I leaned back on the railing of the staircase. I closed my eyes just to rest a bit. I started imagining the cart that sold the mall pretzels. I imagined the sweet and salty smell that was mixing in the air. The lady behind the cart was rapidly making the pretzels for the long line of eager customers. She had blonde hair that was put in a pony tail and covered by a cap. I was shoved back into reality when Abby nudged me.

“Oh my god, Dec! Over there!” She exclaimed pointing towards a pretzel cart. Abby started dragging me towards it but I was still in my daze. I was certain the cart was not there before. I would have seen it when we were scavenging this mall floor. When we got closer I noticed the lady working there. She had blonde hair that was pulled back in a pony tail and covered by the same cap I had imagined. I told myself I was crazy and tired. And most of all no one needed to know.

So let just say I avoided following the phrase “Let your imagination run wild.”

I woke up to the sound of rain crashing on to my window. I lift myself off the bed and walk down the stairs. I heard my dad’s and brother’s voices getting louder and louder as I got closer to the living room. I heard the screaming from the movie. I wanted to go check it out but my body steers me into the kitchen. The dishes were neatly stacked on the dish rack just like how they were the last time I left them. I imagine a massive knife on the rack next to the plates. There it was glistening in the dark kitchen. I ran my hand slowly across the cool and smooth surface avoiding the sharp edges. I slowly pick it up and walk to the living room.

“Oh hey Deci. Here to watch the movie? It’s getting to a good part.” I could see Seth’s wide smile in the darkness. The room would have been completely dark if the light shining from the shining from the tv wasn’t there. The couldn’t see the knife in the darkness.

Instead of responding I look at the screen. A little small girl is walking creepily holding an axe behind her back. Her face held no emotion. Her eyes empty.

“Come on Dec. Sit here.” My dad suggests patting the space next to him. There’s paper plates scattered on the couch with tomato sauce smeared on to them. The pizza box was left open on the coffee table with one big slice left.

I glance at my dad and then at my brother. Without warning, I start imagining fire. Hot burning fire. Suddenly a small fire starts behind Seth but then grew. The fire grew fueled by my energy. The thunder crackles outside the house, rain pounding onto the window.

“Oh. My. God.” Seth whispers as they start moving away. I concentrate harder, closing my eyes letting the energy flow out of me. The fire grew larger and caught onto them. The rain is still crashing into the window of the living room fighting to get through.

“Deci! Dec! Help!” I heard screams from both Seth and dad. I just stood still watching them scream in pain. Showing no emotion.

The fire wasn’t doing a fast enough job and I had a sudden urge to finish it. I grip the knife in my hand harder and went straight towards Seth. His eyes got huge as he saw the knife.

“Deci, no, no, no!” I end his screams stabbing him into his heart.

“Get away!” My dad screams as he tries to fight the fire off him. I slice through his neck as the little girl in the movie did the same.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I lift my head from my pillow so fast that my head starts throbbing. I was wet from sweat and I was breathing really hard. Oh. My. God. I try to calm myself down.

“It was just a dream. It was just a dream.” I chant to myself. My breath starts becoming even again. I walk into the bathroom and turn the faucet. I close my eyes and splash water on my face. There was something sticky on my hand, and now on my face. I turn on the light and look down at my hands.

Blood.

And more blood.

The tips of my blondish brown hair dried up with blood framing my blood stained face.

The red blood darkens the pink shirt I am wearing.

“No, no, no.” I cry at the verge of tears. I ran down the stairs and into the living room.

A glistening knife is on the floor in the middle of the pool of blood. I cover my mouth muffling my screams and cries as I saw my brother and my dad lifeless on the ground. I rush to their bodies and try to move them.

Dad’s neck is stained with blood and so is Seth’s shirt. I try desperately wake dad up so I could see his blue eyes that were so different from Seth and my greenish brown eyes. His blond hair covers the burn that the vicious fire formed on his forehead. Seth is lying next to dad lifeless, his eyes closed. I move to him and place my head on his chest hopelessly searching for the sound of his heart.

“Get up! Come on you have to get up!” I scream as I start shaking my dad.

The tears came flooding out as I sat in the pool of blood.

I killed them.

I killed them.

How could I?

Why would I imagine killing them?

How could I let that thought cross my mind?

The rain is coming in through an open window.

The window was closed last night because if it had been open it would have diminished the fire at least a little.

I let out another scream when I thought about the fire but no one could hear me. There is only the sound of rain colliding with the floor breaking the painful silence.

I lay in bed wrapped up in a blue blanket. My face is finally dry after all the crying I did last night. Last night after I found the only family I had dead. I didn't have the energy to do anything. Luckily for my own sake my next door neighbors, Mr. and Mrs. Miller came by to check out what had happened since they heard so much noise. It had stopped raining but it is still wet outside. The shock on their face when they saw me drenched in blood was horrifying and when I saw them I burst into tears again. They called the police and insisted I should stay in their house. I didn’t have the energy to protest so I went up the stairs of my house and into the bathroom to wash myself up. After I am done I walked back to the door avoiding the blood and the two bodies on the floor. I heard the blaring of the police sirens as I walked out.

So, here I am now sleeping in Jane Miller’s bed wrapped up in her blanket. Jane was away at college and she’s the Millers’ only daughter. I look out the window at the gray morning sky. I knew I couldn’t stay holed up in the house forever. I had to face the world some time.

My phone buzzes again against the dresser table for about the tenth time. The screen displays a picture of Abby’s face. She has been texting and calling but I haven’t been picking up. I didn’t know what I was going to say to her. What did someone say after they lost their whole family? I didn’t have a home or family. What is going to happen to me? Where am I going to go? But deep inside I knew it was my fault I was in this position. The images of last night were were all messed up and blurry in my head but they were still there.

A soft knock on my door broke my thoughts. Mrs. Miller opens the door slightly.

“Good morning, sweetie. I just wanted to let you know that we have breakfast ready. Someone’s here to see you too. So, come down soon, okay?” She says looking straight at me with her pitiful eyes.

I nod because that is the only thing I am capable of doing now.

She gives me one last look and shuts the door.

Someone’s here to see me. Who could it be?

I drag myself out of the bed and walk across the soft maroon colored carpet. I turn to face the mirror. My hair is all over the place and there’s bags under my eyes. I walked out of the room and into the bathroom.

After I made myself look decent I walk down and into the Miller’s kitchen. The kitchen is small compared to average kitchens .The walls were painted a light shade of green which made the room look bright. On the table there was plate already filled with food. There was french toast with syrup drizzled on to it. Beside it was a glass of orange juice. Mrs. and Mr. Miller were not in the kitchen. My eyes travels from the food and lands on a familiar face. A women with blondish brown hair and greenish brown eyes. She looks oddly familiar. Then my eyes widen as realization hit me.

“Mom.”

"What are you doing here?" I say half angry and half surprised. I barely even remember the last time I saw her. After she left my dad for someone else I never bothered to look for her.

"I'm here to take care of you. December."

I stare at her with bewilderment. Take care of me? Bullshit.

And December. No one calls me by my full name. I didn’t like it especially because she was the one that gave it to me. She was probably high when she named me or something. Who names their child a month like December. Why not April?

"Take care of me?" I scoff. "What would you know about that." I cross my arms over my chest.

Her expression doesn't change.

"I know I did horrible things in the past but I really want to mend things between us. Besides I can't leave you alone after your dad and your brother left you."

I didn't like how she isolates herself from us like she wasn't part of us. But the part that hit me the most was that she thought that they left me. What did she mean? It was my fault they were gone I thought with a sinking feeling in my stomach.

"What do you mean they left me?" I question.

Her eyes look straight into mine. "They committed suicide. The police are investigating right now and there isn't any evidence proving otherwise." She puts her right leg over her left leg and leans back, daring me to object to what she said.

I stay quiet but refusing to look away from her stare.

"So I was thinking, after the funeral you would move to Mill Valley with me...” She starts to speak.

“Wait, you want me to move Mill Valley as in California! That’s like across the whole country. Hell no!” I interrupt getting angry.

“I’m sorry but I don’t think you have a choice. You aren’t 18 yet and I am your legal guardian.” She replies unfazed.

“What? I can’t. I just started senior year and my brother and dad just died!” I exclaim but realize I was running out of excuses.

“Again, I’m sorry but this is the only way. Besides where would you live if you were to stay in New York?” She said eyeing me. I barely saw any sadness in her face. I mean her son and her ex- husband just died. Even if she did abandon them she should feel a little sad.

But she was right, I didn’t have anywhere to stay. It’s not like I had anyone else willing to take me in. Not even Abby’s parents since they had 3 children to take care of anyway.

I sigh and let the idea of staying go. It would be hard to let go of the only home I knew but it would help me let go of the family I have lost. I really didn’t want to go anywhere with my mom especially not live with her. But what choice did I have.

“The funeral will be a day from tomorrow and we will be leaving right after. So I suggest that you start packing your things.” She got up and turned her back to me. My mind is screaming. This can’t be happening. I turned my back to her and stomped away.

The next few days dragged out. Abby came over demanding some communication. But when she heard the news she comforted me by letting me cry on her shoulder and slowly helping me recover. The police kept investigating the death of Seth and Robert Adams but sticked to the original conclusion of suicide. They couldn’t find any evidence that went against that.

We were at the funeral and I have received many sympathetic looks. “Shh. It’s going to be okay.” Abby’s voice tried to soothe me. I shook my head. No its not! People have to stop telling me that. They don’t know anything. I look around and spot my mom at the corner. She looks sad but I don’t feel bad for her. She’s the reason my life is so screwed up and now she’s taking me away from the only home I ever had so I can live with her. But now I’m stuck again. I can’t really do anything but follow her to Mill Valley. I have about 5 months until I’m 18 anyway.

Just like she can feel me staring, she turns to look at me. She gives me small smile but that was enough for me to pry out of Abby’s hold and start walking away. I walk back to the car and get in. The faster I get this over with, the better. I wipe away tears that I haven’t noticed had fell. My mom walks to the car and gets in without a word. The ride to my house is silent.

I walk straight into the house and up to my room. I still have to finish packing. I throw in clothes that were left scattered on the bed. I look around the room I grew up in. This room held a lot of memories. There was a dartboard on the closet door that me and Seth would play with when we were little. The dent in the wall that was caused by the poorly swinging of Seth’s baseball bat. I look through the top drawer of the dresser and saw the monopoly box stuffed in. We played that game together last week. The memory of dad boasting about winning and Seth pouting was still a little fresh. It brought tears to my eyes. I would never hear my brother complaining about me being such a girl and taking forever in the bathroom. I would never see my dad act like 11 year old he is inside.

It’s your fault.

I knew that voice in my head was right. It was my fault that I didn’t have that happiness I had barely a few days ago. I look up to keep my tears and saw a picture on the wall.

There were many framed pictures on the walls of my room showing all the fun times we had. I take the framed picture with jewels embedded on to the borders of the wall. The man in the middle of Seth and me—dad is in it, leaning on our car, his smile wide and real. Even after mom left us we accomplished on making the best out of life.

I touch Seth’s face with my fingertip. All my feelings rose up inside me. If Seth or my dad were alive, they would have been making a bunch of noise creating a prank for me. I should have known better than to think everything would always be so perfect.

The picture was framed by different color jewels. Red, blue, green, yellow and other colors. But there was a stone on the top that catches my attention. It was the biggest and looked really dull. The color could have been called gray but to me it wasn’t that either.

“December. Are you ready?” A voice that could only be my mom’s calls out. I cringe when I hear my full name.

Again with December. God.

“Coming.” I grumble. I toss the picture into the suitcase.

I grab the suitcase and haul it down the stairs.

“Were you going to leave without saying goodbye?” A voice asks.

I look up to meet Abby’s brown eyes. Out of all the things I was leaving I was going to miss Abby the most. She was the only friend that I became really close to. She and I did everything together. I hung out with many people but out of all of them I only got close to Abby.

I open my arms and went to hug her.

“I’m going to miss you.” She says.

“I’m going to miss you too.” I reply as I feel water dripping on to my face. I am sick of crying. This whole week I’ve been crying even if I’m not the crying kind of person.

“Ready to go?” My mom says coming into the kitchen.

“Yeah.” I say letting go of Abby.

“Bye. Call me okay.” She says.

“Yeah okay. Bye.” I finally say.

Abby and mom walk out of the house leaving me there. I take one last glance at the house I grew up in taking it all in for the last time. I slowly walk to the door trying to prolong my last few minutes here.

I sigh as I reach the door. I pull the door shut behind me leaving everything behind.

The plane ride was very long and awkward with mom. We barely talked and now we were waiting outside the airport.

“I know you don’t want to be in Mill Valley but I think you’ll like it here. It’s really nice and there are very nice people.” My mom starts rambling.

“Of course. I’m pretty sure it’s nice.” I say grimly not making eye contact with her. Doesn’t mean I’ll like it.

It’s hot!

The humidity is making my neck moist. I thought it was September. It can’t be this hot.

“Someone will be here to drive us to the house since I did not bring my car.” Mom says. “There he is.” A silver car pulls over next to us. There’s a guy in the driver’s seat that looks about my age. He has blonde hair that is swept to the side. Is that her boyfriend? God. She is disgusting. She must be at least 20 years older than him.

The guy rolls the windows of the car down. “Hi, Ms. Michaels. Julie told me to pick you guys up because she had to take car of the kids.” He says to mom. Ms. Michaels. I guess she changed her name back to her maiden name. If he calls her by that that means he isn’t her boyfriend. What a relief. That would be weird.

“It’s fine. Tell Julie thank you anyway.” Mom replies.

“Alright.”

“Hey, I’m Sean.” His brown eyes meet mine. He’s wearing a short sleeve white t-shirt while I’m wearing a long sleeve sweater. I should have known it would have been hot in California. Seriously. I probably look horrible and sweaty.

“Deci,” I reply.

“Deci, nice name. Let me help you out.” He says eyeing my luggage.

He gets out of the car and opens the trunk of the car. He takes our bags and luggages and packs them into the trunk.

After all the luggage is in the car we get in the car. My mom sits in the front while I sit in the back. I look out the window as the car starts moving. The houses that we pass by are huge and really pretty. My house was nowhere near this big.

Mom and Sean talk about normal things including this women about Julie. I space out in the middle of the conversation. A little while later we stop in front of a huge house. It looks so amazing. Like something that people in movies live in.

“This is the house.” I ask with amazement.

“Yes. Do you like it?” Mom asks taking off her seat belt.

“I guess.” But where’d you get the money to buy this.

She starts walking towards the house.

Sean takes out my luggage from the trunk. I wait for him to hand them over but he starts walking toward the house with them.

“Hey, I think I can carry that on my own.” I ask.

“It’s no problem. Just trying to help after that long plane ride. He doesn’t seem like he’s struggling so I walk beside him.

“You’re a senior right?” He asks.

“Yeah I am. Are you?” I reply.

“Yeah I am. Maybe we’ll have some same classes. I can help you out with school if you want.”

“Sure. I’d like that. So, how do you know my mom?” I ask curiosity taking over me.

“She was a close friend of my dad and after my dad she died she was the only thing closest thing I had to a parent.”

What the hell? Not only does she abandon us. She replaces us too.

“I’m sorry. But what about your mom.” I say instead, keeping my thoughts bottled up.

He look at me with sad eyes. “She died when I was young because of cancer.”

“But what about your dad? How did he die?”

“In a fire.” He asks. Something flickers in his eyes.

Fire. My throats starts closing up. When we reach the house I turn away from him and take a deep breath. I can do this. I’m fine.

I turn back around. “Thanks.” I say as he places my things in the house.

“See ya around. Julie probably needs help with the kids.”

“Who’s Julie?” I ask. I feel like I’m asking too many questions.

He smiles. “She’s my foster mom but I’m not her only foster child. She got two others.”

“Oh. Well, see you in school, I guess.” I say smiling.

“Bye.” He says walking out the door.

I walk around the house and see an amazing display. Everything looks so expensive and pretty. But then again everything in this town looks pretty.

The house is big and I’d probably get lost several times.

I go up the fancy carpeted stairs to look around more.

“December!” A voice says making me jump.

“I was just looking around.” I say guiltily even though I don’t know why.

“Oh that’s fine. Why don’t you go see your room? Third door to the left. I’ll call when dinner is ready?” She says pointing to it.

“Okay.” I say walking towards the door.

The room is nothing like my old room where everything seemed worn out. The dark color of the walls seems to dim the room but in a nice way. I walk towards the huge and neat bed.

“Seriously,” I say.

Everything seems like it was made in advance, like she knew I was coming. But how did she know I would be coming? It’s not like she knew anything would happen to Seth and dad. The thought made me sick.

I walk out of the room and down the hall. After I climb down the stairs I look around for the kitchen. I heard a voice coming from down the hall and follow it.

“Yes she’s here.” Mom’s voice said.

After a pause she says, “The prophecy will take place very soon.”

Prophecy? What the hell?

“I’m working on it. After this is all done it will be worth it.” She says.

What will be worth it?

I walk closer and see she is on the phone.

“Alright. Bye.” She ends the conversation after she notices me standing there.

“December. I assume you are done looking around your room. Well, dinner is ready.” She says nervously as she sets the phone on the counter.

What is she hiding?

There’s food on the dining table. Different variety of foods.

We sit down together, me on one side of the table and her on the other.

After a few minutes of silence which was very common around me and my mom, she breaks the silence.

“Are you liking the house?” she asks as she starts cutting her chicken.

“Um, yeah.” I respond. Everything here seems so awkward and different.

“I hope this feels like your home soon. I know I haven’t been there while you grew up but I want to make up for that.” She says. I can feel her stare but I refuse to look up. An apology won’t be enough and I know this place will never feel like home. And if she kept being mysterious like she was just a few minutes ago I don’t think I’ll ever trust her. I don’t say these things out loud.

“I’m trying, December.” She sighs.

“You’re trying alright. But I think it’s a little too late for that!” I exclaim. She can’t just leave me, leave us and replace us. Then come back after 15 years when my brother and dad just died! I’m pretty sure she’s just doing this because the law says she has to.

I get up from seat mumbling “I’m not hungry.”

I climb the stairs and walk into my new room.

I throw myself into bed holding the tears in. I want my old life back, not this house or this room. But I know that’s not possible and it’s all my fault.

I soon drift into a deep sleep.

The heat. The scorching heat pricks my skin. It takes me a few seconds to realize I’m in the middle of fire.

“Help! Help!” I try to scream but nothing comes out of my mouth. I open my mouth to scream in horror as the flames lick my skin. I’m Burning. I see a silhouette on the wall moving towards me. Then a figure appears coming out of the corner. I look closely to see Seth.

“Seth.” I mouth. He keeps coming closer with his head down and his hair covering his face.

He reaches me and looks up. He looks soulless. The opposite of what he was. His eyes are so empty it scares me.

“I’m sorry,”I mouth but he doesn’t seem to understand. I did this to him. I need to get out.

The fire comes closer to me and I try to move away but there’s no escape.

Sors illorum in manibus vestris.

He says in a voice that is not his.

What? I want to cry. I can’t do anything. I’m going to die. The fire grows.

I open my mouth to scream but nothing comes out.

Sors illorum in manibus vestris. Seth continues.

I don’t understand! I’m becoming frantic. I start choking. The fire is suffocating me. I can’t breathe.

Sors illorum in manibus vestris. Seth says one more time as he takes a sharp knife I did not notice him holding and shoves it threw me.

I scream.

I straighten my light blue shirt one last time before I rush down the stairs. Today was the first day I was going to my new school. I honestly didn’t give a crap about anyone thought of the new girl. I knew everyone would know each other since Mill Valley is kind of a small town which means I would be an outsider. I just want to get over these few months before I turn 18.

“December, good morning. Finish up your breakfast and I will drive you to school.” Mom says.

After I ate breakfast she drives me to school. I get out of the car without saying anything. It’s been even more awkward since that night.

I slowly walk towards the school. It looks like a normal high school, students buzzing around. I walk through the crowds of people.

“Um, excuse me but do you know where the office is?” I question a girl with braided brown hair.

“Oh, hey. Your December right?” she replies with a smile.

“Just Deci. How’d you know my name?” I ask confused.

“It’s a small town, news spreads.” she replies shrugging. “By the way I’m Emma.”

“Nice to meet you.” I reply. “So, the office?”

“Oh, first door to your right. See you around, Deci.” she chirps and turns away.

Okay, that wasn’t bad. Maybe this wouldn’t be so bad.

I walk to the office door and knock. When I reach the door I open the door slightly and see a women sitting at her desk.

“Come in.” she says when she looks up to see me through her glasses.

“December Adams. I’m assuming you are looking for your schedule.” she says.
I cringe when I hear my name. “Um, yeah. Sorry to interrupt you.”

“No problem. Here you go. Welcome to Mill Valley High.”

I take the papers and leave her office.

I walk into my first class. History.

There’s only a few people in here so I guess I’m early. The few people in the class look up to stare.

“Ms. Adams, nice to meet you. I’m Mr. Grey.” A tall man says when he sees me enter the room.

“Hi. Um do I have to sit anywhere specific?” I ask.

“No, the students don’t have assigned seats, you can sit anywhere you like. All you’ll need is a notebook.”

“Okay,” I say before walking to a random seat. I take a notebook out of my backpack which already has my full name on it.

Students start swarming into the room. A lot of them take a look at me, the new girl.

“Uh, you’re sitting in my seat,” I deep voice says. I look up from my notebook to see vivid blue eyes. The sun is shining from through the large window onto his messy raven black hair. His icy blue eyes were almost see through. I would be lying if I said he wasn’t attractive.

His bored expression turns into a confused expression, but soon transforms into an angry one.

“Well...” he says with a stern expression. What’s up with him?

“I didn’t think we had assigned seats.” I reply with annoyance. I was not in the mood for this.

“We don’t but...” He starts.

“See, so technically this is not your seat.” I retort.

“Listen... um” He looks down at my notebook. I soon notice that he is looking for my name.

I cover up my name with my hand before he could see it.

He smiles smugly and says, “Ember.”

I look down to see that I didn’t cover my whole name. S***.

“You aren’t getting this seat so I suggest you find another one.” I say quickly.

“Mr. Wood. Please take a seat.” Mr. Grey says.

“Fine.” He says. I smile triumphantly at him but my smile disappears when he sits in the seat right beside me. What an ass.

I turn to him and glare when I hear a girl’s voice, “Um, you’re in my seat.” Oh, god. Not this again.

“No I’m not because this isn’t your seat.” I say turning to face her. She looks like she came out of a movie where there’s those stereotypical popular bitches.

“Listen, new girl you don’t know how things work around here. So, I suggest you give me that seat.” She demands.

“Or what?” I challenge. “What’s so special about this seat anyway?”

I can feel the guy with blue eyes staring. I am not taking s*** from anyone especially these people.

The girl glares at me before stalking off to another seat.

“You should have just gave her the seat.” The boy says.

“Why should I? She...” I start before a searing pain goes through my head. I clutch my head in my hands feeling the urge to scream in pain.

“Samara!” The guy whisper loudly. The pain eases away but left me a little dizzy. The guy is turning away from the girl that was asking for my seat awhile ago. I look at her to see her smiling sweetly at me. What the hell just happened? Does it have to do anything with Samara?

“Ok, let’s start class.” Mr. Grey says with his booming loud voice.

After history is over I rush out of the class as fast as I can. I have to get away from them. The whole class time I ignore the guy sitting next never making eye contact with him but I could feel his burning gaze on me.

“Wait up,” I hear the blue eyed guy’s deep voice. I walk faster down the hall.

“Ember, wait.”

“What?” I ask angrily, turning around. A lot of people stare as they walk down the hall.

“Are you okay?” He asks and I think I heard some sympathy in his voice.

“Yeah, I’m fine. But, what the hell happened in there?” I ask anxiously.

“I don’t know, you tell me. You’re the one with the head issues.” The coldness in his voice. He runs his hand through his soft looking hair. It makes him look really hot.

Seriously, stop it. There’s something wrong with this guy. Don’t want to get involved with him.

“You’re the one with issues.” I say angrily before walking away.

“Wait, wait...” He starts when he catches up.

“Hey, New York!” A voice says coming from Sean.

“Hey, what’s up?” I ask grinning glad that I don’t need to talk to blue eyes.

“Oh, I’m going to my next class. Um, hey Wood.” Sean says facing towards blue eyes.

“You know him?” Blue eyes asks me.

“Yah. Why?” I ask.

“Stay away from him.” He whispers to me.

“Why? You can’t tell me what to do?” I reply scowling.

“He makes you feel bad for him and then draws you closer. Then when you’re close enough bad things happen.” He replies looking straight at me. It’s hard not to get lost in his eyes.

But before he could continue, Samara appears and approaches blue eyes.

“Isaac, there you are. Let’s head english. She says grabbing his arm.

“Oh, new girl. And you’re with Sean. You guys do make the perfect match.” She says glaring at me.

“Oh, b**** girl. And you're with him. You guys do make a perfect match.” I say mocking her.

I turn around and walk away, Sean following close behind.

“Sorry about that.” I apologize.

“No, it’s fine. They don’t really get along with me anyway.”

“Why not?” I ask.

“I don’t know. It’s just always been like that.” He says with sad eyes.

“They can’t just dislike you because of nothing.” I say.

He shrugs. “Hey, what do you have next?”

“Um, Phys. Ed.” I say checking my schedule.

“Aw, I have astronomy. So I guess I’ll see you later.”

“Yeah, okay.” I say as I walk away.

The lunchroom is filled with people. I hate this time of school. Being the new girl I won’t have anywhere to sit. I look around and notice a hand waving in the air. The girl I met in the morning, Emma is waving me over. I feel kind of relieved but did I really want friends here.

I walk over to the table she is sitting at.

“Hey, Deci. Why don’t you sit with us?” Emma asks. I look around the table and my eyes land on Isaac. Damn it. Doesn’t he ever leave?

I glare at him. The other guys around him eye me.

“You, again.” I groan.

“Well, I didn’t come to you. You came to me.” He says.

“Don’t flatter yourself. I didn’t come to you.” I reply. The girls and guys on the table look at me shock written on their faces. What?

The guy sitting right next to Isaac smiles at me. “You must be December.”

“Just, Deci.” I reply.

“Alright then, Deci. I’m Tristan. Giving Isaac a hard time, are we?” He asks raising his blonde eyebrow.

“Hardly. More like he’s giving me the hard time.” I reply.

“Hey, sit down.” Emma says to me. I sit next to her, in front of Tristan.

“I’m giving you a hard time. Please, if you could stop obsessing over me, maybe this would be easier.” Isaac says. Everyone on the table laughs.

“Me, obsessing over you? You’re the one that just appears everywhere I am.” I fire back getting furious.

“Okay, guys stop.” Emma says.

“Hey, how do you like Mill Valley. I know you came from New York which is probably much better.”

“It’s nice and extremely hot. Different from New York.”

“Why’d you leave anyway?” Tristan asks chewing on his food.

My heart starts racing. I couldn’t tell them the truth. I can’t even face the truth. I feel like I can’t breathe, like I’m back in the room where it all happened. Murderer. It clicks in my head. That’s what I’m called now, right?

“Um, I...” I start chewing on my bottom lip. Just then Samara saunters towards the table. Her skirt flowing as she approaches the table. My nervousness slowly fades but it’s still there. Annoyance starts to spread inside me instead.

God I just couldn’t escape anyone could I?

“Hey...” She starts to say as she sat down next to Isaac.

“You!” She says when she sees me.

“Yes, me.” I reply sarcastically.

“I told you to stay out of my way.” She says.

“Since when do you control me.” I say.

“Calm down, Samara.” Emma says.

“No, I will not calm down. She can’t just waltz right in like she’s something special.” she shrieks.

“I think you’re getting mixed up with yourself and me because I don’t know how to do the waltz.” I say calmly.

She stares me down and that’s when I feel the pain in my head again. I close my eyes trying to reserve the pain but it seemed like the pain was just getting worse. It’s her. She’s doing it.

I tried not believe in magic because of my weird ability but I knew that this was not normal.

“Samara, stop it.” I hear Isaac’s voice.

“Cool down, girl.” Tristan continues.

I want her out of my head before I let out a scream.

“Get out.” I growl.

I imagine a whoosh of air going past me. My energy made the wind blow harder making my hair blow all over the place. The pain starts to ease away. And then I hear a scream. But it did not come from my mouth. I open my eyes to see Samara sitting on the floor like she fell of the seat. Her blonde styled hair was now messed up like it was blown everywhere. By the wind.

Everyone is staring at me. The whole entire table and a few from from the others turn to face me. But I felt 3 pairs of eyes boring into me the most. Tristan, Emma and Isaac. They all had gotten up from the table like they were trying to stay away from something dangerous.

“You’re the girl.” I heard Emma whisper, loud enough for me to hear. I whip my head around to look at her. I furrow my eyebrows and look straight at her. Her lips were set in a firm line. She had a far away look in her eyes.

“Huh? What girl?” I ask anxiously.

This time a different voice. It is a deep voice that could only come from Isaac. He held expression that I couldn’t figure out. I turn my head to him and try to straighten out my thoughts.

“The girl from the prophecy.”

“W-what do you mean?” I stutter. This is getting a little freaky with the whole prophecy thing.

“Not here,” Tristan mutters. “We’ll explain later.” He looks around at the other faces staring at me.

“Okay, everyone can go back to what they were doing. It’s like you guys never seen wind before.” Isaac says to the other people as he, Tristan and Emma sit down again.

“Seriously, she’s the girl. She’s so... ugh.” Samara says irritably as she gets up from the floor. She tries to smooth down her hair but it wouldn't go back to the way it was.

“You have to explain everything now. This... this is crazy.” I exclaim as a bunch of thoughts flow through my head.

“We’ll explain everything later. Why don’t you come to my house on Friday? We’ll all be there.” Emma says calmly as she look at everyone else. They all nod.

“Wait, I just have to do something. Hey Dec, can you face me?” Emma asks.

“Um, okay?” I reply a little nervous. I turn to face her. She looks straight into my eyes and does something I can’t understand but I feel the change in my head.

“What d-did you do?” I ask.

“I shielded you’re mind so can’t get affected by anything like what Samara did.” she continues.

“Wait, do you all have some kind of... power.” I ask. This gets crazier every moment.

“Yup,” Tristan answers.

“You just have to trust us.” Emma continues.

Did I trust them? I’ve only just met them today.

I didn’t reply but just look away. Everyone is staring but I didn’t have to give them a reply.

“Alright, I’m going to go to the bathroom and fix my hair. I don’t know why you all are fawning over her. She’s nothing special.” Samara broke the silence. I almost forgotten she was part of this group.

“Go ahead, hurricane you call hair...” Tristan starts with his bubbly personality. The rest of the lunch period I just thought about all of the things I just learned. Things from my childhood start to click. Things like the pretzel cart in the mall and the time when I created a doll I wanted that I saw in the store. My dad returned it thinking I must of had grabbed it in the store. All those little moments all made sense. As I try to figure everything out I felt Isaac’s blue gaze fall upon me a few times but I never looked back at him.

I insisted on walking home alone because I didn’t want to be too reliable on my mom. So I walk home trying not to get lost. Then I spot the house and let out a huge sigh of relief. I could here some cars passing by so clearly since there is no one at home. I walk in setting my feet on to the soft carpet. A yellow post-it note is stuck on to the marble counter.

I am currently at work at the town’s main hall. I’ll be back at 6. Help yourself to anything in the fridge.

The note said without any signature. Mom must be a town official here. I set down my bag before I open the fridge. I start whistling to myself as it became more quiet. There was barely any sound except for the humming of the refrigerator. I start to rummage through the food as the doorbell rang. I shut the fridge and head to the door. It is only 4 o’clock so it couldn’t be mom. The doorbell rang again. I open the door to see Sean standing on the patio, his hands in his pockets.

“Hey, Sean.” I greet him a little surprised.

“Hey, I just wanted to stop by,” He replies his smile lifting into a shy smile.

“Well, come in. Unless you’re a vampire or something. In that case, stay out.” I joke with a light tone but there is something serious in my voice. I mean I could never know about these people after what I learned today.

Sean laughs as he steps in.

“So, you want anything?” I ask as we walk into the kitchen.

“Nah, I’m good.” He says. “So, how was Mill Valley? Like the people there.”

“It’s good kind of similar to any other school except the fact everyone knows each other. The people. They’re okay.”

“Hmm. Any new friends?” He asks.

“I don’t know if I would call them friends but they are nice.” I reply unsure of myself.

“Like Isaac and them?” He says looking straight at me.

“Yah. What do you know about them.” I push eager to find out.

“I knew them but it didn’t end well.”

“Huh. What do you mean?”

“They’re just always there for you but then they turn their back on you out of nowhere.” “Believe me, they aren’t good people.” He whispers boring his eyes into mine.

It seems like he was doing what Emma did earlier but I felt no effect. Wait, is Sean one of them?

“You, trust me right?” He says.

Trust, again? I don’t know if I can trust anyone.

I gulp and nod at him. I realize he had leaned closer to me when he starts pulling away.

“Alright, I’ll see you later.” He says smiling. I shake myself from my trance and smile.

The next few days were as awkward at home as always. In school I try to avoid Isaac, Tristan, Smara and Emma. This was hard because Emma tries to draw me into the group but in class it was easy. In history, Isaac was in my class but I avoid sitting next to him and Samara made that easy by hogging him. I’m pretty sure they are involved in some way but I can’t ignore Isaac’s burning gaze on the back of my head.

It’s Friday morning now and I haven’t forgotten that I’m going to Emma’s house today. I’ve avoided the topic but I had a feeling that what I was going to learn was going to scare me. Shuffling down the stairs I try to straighten my thoughts.

“Good morning.” I greet my mom.

“Good morning December.” She replies setting a plate down on the table. I’ve gotten accustomed to the name but that doesn’t mean I liked it.

“Um, I was going to ask you if I could go to a friend’s house today.” I ask sitting down to start eating.

“Of course you can. But what friend is it?” She asks.

“Emma,” I answer glancing at her face.

“Emma Black. I don’t think that’s a good idea. She and her friends can hurt you.” She says.

I stare at her furiously. Why does she and Sean think that? I mean I’m not that close with Emma and them but they don’t seem that bad.

“We’re just going to hang out, nothing big.” I argue.

“But, I don’t think it’s a good idea...” She continues.

“Look, I know you’re trying to be helpful here but I think I can choose my own friends and I definitely don’t need your help.” I fire furrowing my eyebrows.

“Okay, but be careful.” She finishes with defeat.

I take a sip of my drink and walk out the door. I blow the hair that goes in front of my face out of the way in frustration. I can feel the wet and sticky feeling on my neck from the humidity.

When I get to history class I am really tired after the walk to school. I know I could have taken the car with my mom but I really didn’t feel like to. I drag myself into the classroom and plop myself onto one of the seats. I few moments later I feel someone else sitting on the seat next to mine. I turn to see the back of a blue t-shirt and raven black hair. Damn it.

I look back to the front of the classroom. I can totally ignore him for the rest of the period.

“Hey, Ember.” Or not.

“You know that’s not my name.” I say nonchalantly.

“Would you rather December?” He replies. Damn it.

“No, Ember’s fine.” I mumble.

“Aren’t you interested in any of this. Powers, the prophecy?” He asks.

I finally look at him and sigh. “If you’re asking if I am interested in something that isn’t suppose to be real and seems crazy. Something I can’t control. But somehow I seem to be right at the center of. Then, no.”

“Alright, I get it. It’s hard for you but you need to learn this sooner or later. It’s better for you to know it now.” He suggest lightly.

“You don’t know anything about me, so stop acting like you do.” I snarl looking straight into his eyes.

Right then, I hear an annoying voice I’ve grown to hate. “Ahem.” I look up to see Samara sneering down me with her piercing green eyes.

“Here you go.” I say as I grab my stuff and got of the chair. I haul my bag onto my shoulders and head to the back of the class.

I accomplished staying out of all of their ways but I knew I couldn’t hide forever. The last class had finally came to an end and I start to head to my locker when I saw all three of them standing next to my locker. Isaac darts his eyes away from me while Samara seems like she’s texting someone. Emma and Tristan smile widely at me. Talk about weird.

“Hey, guys.” I greet them as I open my locker.

“Hey, we were just waiting for you.” Tristan said all cheery. I had to crack a smile at his cheerful behavior like this isn’t weird at all.

“You could have waited outside or something.” I suggest.

“Nah, this is fine.” He replies.

“Okay, I’m ready.” I say when I finish emptying my bag and refilling.

“Let’s go.” Emma sang excitedly.

“Whatever,” Samara mumbles as she walks ahead of us.

We walk out to Tristan car and we got into it. Turns out Tristan is 18 since he started school a little late and he could drive his own car. We get to Emma’s house after a while. Her house looks similar to all the houses in Mill Valley.

“This is it,” Emma get’s out of the car. Everyone follows her into the house and as I step in I hear shouts from children. The place is a bit messy with scraps of paper on the floor and cookie crumbs sprinkled across the floor.

“Mom, Lily won’t give me the cookie!”

Lily, give Jay the cookie.” A woman's voice warns. A little boy and girl ran into the room we just entered. The little boy reminded me of little Seth and the times when he would be an annoying kid. A lump rose up in my throat. They stop when they saw us.

“Emma!” They exclaim as they tackle her with a hug.

“Hey guys! What’s up?”

“Lily won’t give me the last cookie.” The little boy I assumed was Jay, forms a small pout. Lily held the cookie possessively to her.

“It’s mine.” She growls.

“How about you both get half? Huh?” Emma says to them.

She puts her hand out to Lily and Lily slowly places the cookie on her hand. Emma breaks the cookie in half and hands a piece into each hand.

“Who is she?” Jay asks stuffing the cookie in his mouth.

“Oh, that’s Deci.” Emma explains.

“Do you like Star Wars?” Jay asks randomly.

“Why, yes. Yes, I do.” I answer grinning. I used to watch Star Wars with Seth when he was smaller.

“I like you.” Jay says.

“Me too.” Lily nods her little head.Suddenly a woman that looks a lot like Emma comes into the room. “Oh, Emma you’re home. How are you Tristan, Isaac, Samara?”

Everyone replies with “good”or “fine”.

“And you must be Deci? You’re the special girl. Nice to meet you. You can call me Mary.” She greets me with a smile.

“Hardly.” I hear Samara snort.

“Nice to meet you, too.” I reply ignoring Samara.

“Alright, mom we’re going up to the attic, okay?” Emma says.

“Okay, call if you need anything.” Mary replies as she drags Lily and Jay away.

“Sorry, about my sister and brother. They can be annoying.” Emma says as she leads us up the stairs.

“No, it’s fine they’re cute.” I reply honestly.

“Do you have a sibling?” She asks when we reach the attic. The room looks similar to the rest of the house. Instead of being a storage room like my attic back in New York, it is just a hangout room. There is sets of sofas and a single chair forming an oval shape.

“Um, I did.” I whisper. I didn’t know if they should know about my brother or my dad but I answer anyway.

“Oh my God. I’m so sorry. Is that why you moved here?” Emma whispers her eyes giving me a soft look.

Tristan had an apologetic look on his face and so did Isaac. I shrug my shoulders feeling a lump rise in my throat.

“But what about your dad?” Emma pushes further.

“Um, he’s gone too.” The guilt gnawed at me but tears were threatening to spill.

“Um, so guys. The prophecy?” I abruptedly change the subject trying to ease the tension.

“Right, so basically the prophecy says that there will be a girl that either destroys us or saves us. It all depends on what she will choose.” Emma starts.

“We all have powers to protect ourselves.” Tristan says. “For example I can read your mind.” My eyes go wide. “What?”

“Calm down. I barely saw anything. Emma shielded your mind before I could dig deeper ” Tristan calms me but fails by stretching his smile into an evil grin.

“Yeah and I shield. Like what I did earlier this week, so you won’t get hurt by things like Samara’s mind bending. I can also physically shield but all our powers come from our minds. That’s why we are called mind castors.

“Wait. Are you the only ones with the powers.” I question.

“No, there’s more of us like our parents and siblings. It’s kind of a family thing.” Isaac jumps in after after being quiet.

“Does that mean one of my parents were a mind caster?” I ask. If they were why wouldn’t they tell me? Well at least, dad?

“Not necessarily. It could have been anyone of your descendants.” Tristan applies.

“You said you have powers to protect yourself. From what?” I ask eagerly.

“Oh God. You guys take forever!” Samara barges into the conversation. “The prophecy says there are evil upon us and we can be saved by a girl that will have extraordinary powers at the night of the ritual. She just has to pick the right side.” She rolls her eyes as she finishes.

“And you think this girl is me? I think you got the wrong girl. I can’t save you guys.” I exclaim.

“You just need proper training and Isaac will train you.” Emma says.

“He is?” Samara and I ask in unison. Samara gives me her signature glare I know so well.

“Yes, he is.” Emma says. Isaac gives me a short glance. So much for avoiding him.

“Okay. What if I was going to go through with this training. When is this this ritual? And what’s the ritual?” I wonder.

“You’d have to go the oracle. She knows everything about the ritual and prophecy. Tristan says.

“And the ritual is at the end of December.”

“It’s kind of in your name.

“So, do Lily and Jay have these mental powers.” I curiously ask.

“Yah. Every castor is born with their abilities but they don't kick in until later on. Depends on the person. My mom has a power.” Emma replies.

“Really? What can she do?” I ask hoping it isn’t a mind reading power or something.

“She can see auras. It’s like a color that surrounds a person when they are feeling that way.” Emma continues. That’s really close to mind reading.

“But unlike me. She can’t see all your thoughts just your emotions and reactions.” Tristan jumps in like he read my mind. Maybe he had. I frown at him.

“What just because I can’t use my power on you doesn’t mean I can’t guess what you’re thinking. You’re easy to read.” He smiles slyly.

“Okay, let’s go downstairs.” Emma steps in stopping me from replying.

As everyone walks out, I follow behind them. I feel a hand tug me back. I whip my head around ready to attack but I met a blue stare.

“I’ll see you tomorrow around 4 for training.” Isaac demands as he walks past me and out of the room. He didn’t even wait for my reply. Rude.

Mom was at work now, saves me from explaining my training session with Isaac. Or at least making up an excuse. My ponytail is swishing back and forth in the air as I climb down the stairs. I’m wearing a gray v-neck and jeans. I’m not sure if there’s a specific dress code for this. I don’t even know where to meet Isaac. I open the door and gasp in surprise. Isaac is standing right outside the door.

“Oh my God. Seriously.” I exclaim surprised.

“I said we were going to meet around 4, didn’t I?” Isaac calmly replies.

“Ugh.” I groan. “Where are we going anyway?”

“To my house.” He simply replies. He starts walking away.

“Wait!” I say as I ran after him.

After a while we stop at a big white house. I follow Isaac on the path to his house.

“Alright, welcome to my house.” He exclaims when we get into the house. The house is nice and neat and it seems like everything is left untouched.

“Hello there.” I hear a male voice from behind me. I turn my body around to see a dark haired man around the age of my mother.

“Hi. I’m Deci. I’m a...Isaac’s classmate.” I say unsure.

“Nice to meet you. I’m Isaac’s father. You can call me David. I’ve heard a lot about you.” He precedes. I give him a confused look.

Isaac gives him a warning look.

“From the prophecy of course.” He says trying to hide a smile. I give Isaac a skeptical look.

“Okay, dad. We’ll be in the backyard.” Isaac changes the subject. “Come on.”

I follow him out of the house. There is a perfectly mowed lawn but beyond that there is a forest of tall trees.

“You live near a forest.” I ask confused.

“Yah, never seen a forest.” He retorts.

“Um, yeah but I’m not really the woodsy type.” I reply glancing at him.

He looks at me for what seems like a long time. “Let’s go, then.” He proposes abruptedly.

“Wait, what? I thought we were going to train.” I exclaim as I start to chase after him.

“We can train in the forest.” He replies coolly. Why is he so calm?

Somewhere in the middle of the trees, after dragging my feet through the dirt and twigs, we come to a sudden stop. The smell of trees and leaves infiltrate my nose.

“Well, start. Create something.” Isaac randomly demands.

“What?” My pupils snapped towards him, raising an eyebrow as a perplexed expression washed over my face immediately.

“Make something, use your powers. Where else would you start?” He states, like it’s the most obvious thing in the world.

“What do you want me to make?” I ask hesitantly glancing at him from the corner of my eye.

“Make anything. It is your power.” He answers not helping me at all. He is about 5 feet away from me leaning on a tall tree and crossing his arms over his black shirt. The shirt hugs his torso perfectly showing perplexing muscles.

“U-uh, okay.” I stutter shaking me out of the dreamy state. I breathe in and close my eyes. The first thing that comes into my mind is an apple. I imagine the texture of the apple that soon will be in my hand. The blood red color of the outer part of the apple. The juicy taste of the apple that I would feel if I sank my teeth into it.

Slowly I feel the roundness of the apple in my palm as I start to open my eyes. There it was, the perfect apple from my imagination. I look up to see the displayed awe in Isaac’s face.

“Okay, that was good but you need to learn how to control your powers in other situations.” The awe disappears from his face and his usual cool expression replaces it.

“What kind of situations?”

“Situations where your emotions take over like sadness, grief or anger.” He eyes from under his dark eyelashes.

“How am I suppose to train for that?” Nervousness takes over me. Was he talking about what I did to Samara or Seth and dad?

“We’ll figure that out? But for now I need to know more about you.” He simply replies.

“Why do you need to know more about me? I don’t even anything about you. What power do you have, anyway?” I retort.

A hint of a smile shows on his face. That’s the first time I seem him lose his expressionless face. I can’t help but smile too. What has gotten into you?

The green leaves of the tree that Isaac is leaning start to move. Then slowly start to rustle as the force that moves them starts to pick up speed. But I feel no wind. No air at all. I look around to see the other leaves perfectly still. I shift my glance back up to the rustling leaves and slowly move my eyes down to a smiling Isaac.

“What the hell? Do you have wind power or something?” I’m not sure if I’m more surprised about his ability or his smile.

“No, I can move things with my mind. Like Telekinesis.” The trees slowly calm down until they finally lay still.

“But these powers do not only protect us but also can be dangerous. That’s why you need to control them or people can get harmed.” Isaac states his blue eyes traveling around until they meet mine. But when they do, I shut my eyes. Can he see what I did? To my own dad and brother. I killed them because I couldn’t control them. I didn’t ask for this. I didn’t ask for my powers or this destiny. I didn’t want to lose the only family I had.
I’m back to that night again. The pitch black room with the blazing fire suffocating them as they screamed for someone to save them, for relief. Then the blood splattering everywhere, their blood staining my hands.

I wanted to scream and cry again for my loss but I clamped my mouth shut with my hands. I raised my head and stared up at the leaves above me as tears formed in my eyes. Steadily the leaves begin to burn in a fire that appears unexpectedly.

“Ember, what’s wrong.” Isaac’s furrows his eyebrows as he stared up at the leaves.

I shake my head viciously. He couldn’t see the fire. I backed away from the tree and slam into Isaac. The tears fall but I swallow the scream that is threatening to be set free.

“Hey, you okay?” His face is so closed to mine and I can see the emotion in his eyes.

“Fire.” I choke, my whole body shaking.

To my surprise Isaac turns my body around and wraps his arms around me.

“It’s not real.” He whispers softly.

Breathing against his shirt I reply,“Let’s get out of here.”

On Monday was nervous to see Isaac. He had seen me in my weak state which I don’t show people. But that wasn’t the only thing that caused the nervousness. There was something about what I felt for him but I didn’t know what it was.

I didn’t really want to face Isaac or Samara so I stayed on the safe side by picking a seat randomly in history class. I glance back and forth from my desk to the door. Snap out of it Deci! I mentally scold myself.

I hear the chair next to mine scrape the floor as someone pulls it out. I turn to see none other than Isaac himself. His hair was a little groomed than usually but he didn’t look that different.

“Why the hell are you sitting next to me?” I barf out before I said something stupid.

“Because Ember, I can sit wherever I want since there is no assigned seats. You made that very clear. Remember.” I stay silent as he slides his self into the seat.

Moments later, Samara walks in and gives me her glare.

“Here goes. I swear that glare is made especially for me. It should be call the Deci glare.” I think aloud earning a laugh from Isaac that I never heard before.

“What are you doing here?” Samara shrieks when she reaches us.

“Oh, now this is your seat too.” I fire. This girl couldn’t give me a break.

“Listen. Just because you have that special power doesn’t mean you can squeeze in with my friends.” Her eyes are hard and you can see the anger in her eyes.

“Im not try—” I start furiously but I get cut off by Isaac.

“Control,” He murmurs.

I calm down, remembering what I am capable of.

“I’m sorry Samara but I’m really not in the mood for this.” I sigh tired.

“Sam, just take a seat somewhere else.” Isaac tells her.

At that moment I realize I am really tired. Tired of all of the changes in my life.

I squint as the sun shines directly at me. As usually it is blazing, as we in front of school. Emma, Isaac and I are standing on the green lawn as the students swarm out of school. In the crowd I see Sean rushing out of the door. As if he can feel me looking, he turns to me and waves. Then he frowns as he spots Isaac and Emma but soon changes it back to his light smile.

“Hey, Deci. What’s up?” He greets as he reaches me.

Emma and Isaac become silent as he approaches us.

“Nothing. You? How’s Julie?” I make light conversation becoming cautious of the stares Isaac and Emma direct at us.

“Nothing much and she’s great. You should come over sometime.” He inquires.

“Sure.” I smile nervously.

“See you later.” He says as he starts walking away. Emma, Isaac and Seean do not acknowledge each other.

“Do you see him a lot?” I get interrogated by Isaac as soon as Sean leaves. He glares at Sean’s back before turning to me.

“Well he’s close to mom and sometimes he comes over—” I open my mouth and speak.

“Wait, he comes over. What does he say to you?” Isaac cuts me off. Anger boils up in me as he speaks.

“Why do you care so much? Why the hell do guys hate each other so much. You all keep telling me to stay away from one another.” I let out all my questions.

“Because he’s one of us, Dec. He’s dangerous. He has the mind control ability.” Emma responds. I stay quiet for awhile fitting the puzzle pieces together.

“That’s why he had that look when he told me to stay away from you guys.” I say with a far away look in my eyes.

“He tried mind control on you?” Isaac clenches his teeth.

“But obviously, it didn’t work.” I snap. He was acting possessive of me which I did not like.

Before the conversation could continue, Emma breaks the tension “Where are you guys going today?”

“I’m taking her to the oracle today.” Isaac says to Emma.

“You’re what?” I ask surprised.

“We’re going to the oracle today. You have to learn about the prophecy.” He states smoothly.

“Listen Isaac. I do not follow demands. You can’t just tell me that we’re going to the oracle and expect me to go with you.” I stare at his face as Emma raises an eyebrow, looking amused.

“The more earlier you go, the better. The ritual is a few months away.” He replies, a hint of fear in his eyes. A month has passed since I got here and I knew I didn’t have time but I didn’t know what was I going to do.

“Fine,” I mutter defeated.

“See ya Emma.” I say as I walk away with Isaac.

“Yeah, alright. Bye!” She chirps with a big smile on her face.

When we reach the woods I stare at Isaac confused.

“Why are we at the forest?” I ask.

“The oracle lives here. She like to stay hidden.” He responds.

We start walking again and I feel like we’ll get lost in this huge forest but Isaac seems to know where he is going. We slowly approach a small brown cottage in a wide space surrounded by trees. The door that is slightly ajar has a sign that says ‘I know all’ taped on to it. Isaac pushes the door which leads us into a dark room with small lights everywhere. Books and papers are scattered everywhere. It kind of looks like a fortuneteller’s shop.

“Hello. I see that I have visitors.” A women wearing a gray shawl over her shoulders comes out from behind the curtains spots and examines me from top to bottom. She has her curly hair tied up in a bun. She grins this weird smile that says that she knows everything. Like she wasn’t surprised that I came.

“Isaac, I see that you found her. Didn’t I tell you, you would?” Her grin never leaves her face. I glance up at Isaac confused but he doesn’t meet my eyes.

“We’re here—” Isaac begins.

“I know why you’re here. You want to find out your what your destiny. Well come in, dear.” She says sliding the curtains to the side revealing a smaller room.

I hesitate before I start walking forward, Isaac following behind me.

“Uh-uh-uh. Not you.” She says directing her face to Isaac.

“What! I’m going with her.” Isaac commands.

“Don’t worry, boy. She’ll come back perfectly safe.” She says moving out of my path. I take one last glance at Isaac and smile trying to reassuring him. He tried to protect me so I try to repay him.

He smiles back before he turns around.

In the middle of the room there is a cinnamon colored table with two chairs on each side.

“Sit, December.” The oracle says as she takes a seat in one of the chairs. How’d she know my name? Oh right, she knows all.

“So, December. You want to know about the prophecy and how you can lead your destiny the right way. Am I right?” She asks as she looks deep into my eyes with her eyes that were a violet shade.

“H-how’d you know?” I stutter.

“I can tell the future. That’s my castor ability, dear.” She answers.

“Okay, can you tell me now.” I ask anxiously.

“Eager are we? Of course I will tell you but everything will come with a price. But don’t worry it will be a small price. Are you willing?” She proposes.

I nod my head not knowing what else to do.

“The prophecy, my dear is over here.” She smiles mischievously as she pulls out an old paper written in script. Under that paper is a stack of papers identical to that one.

The girl will arrive as the ritual approaches.

Her heart will choose which side she’ll take

Evil or Good

Red or Blue

the stone will glow

in her reflection it will show

This choice will be made

on the day of the storm

at the end of

December.

It is in her name.

“What does that mean?” I ask frustrated.

“It’s all in there dear. You just have to decipher the meaning.”

“Now for that price.” She wonders out loud. “How about you go out there and give Isaac a kiss.” She stares straight at me. What! I am not doing that.

“What if I don’t do it?” I really don’t want to. I know I have weird feelings for him but I don’t know if he wants to kiss me or the kiss will just make things awkward between us. Besides if he knew about me, a murderer he would run far far away. I know I would.

“Sweetie, you have to. Unless you want to test what I am capable of.” She says as my eyes go wide.

“Fine.” I admit to defeat.

“Oh, and take this.” She hands me the paper with the prophecy. “Remember, it’s in your name.” I give her a confused look but turn away from her folding the paper.

I blow my hair out of my face out of frustration and walk out of the room. It’s just a kiss.

“Hey, found what you're looking for.” Isaac asks as we head out of the cottage and back into the woods. I felt like someone was watching me and I’m sure that the oracle would know of I didn’t go forward with her deal.

“Yeah.” I nervously respond as I wave the folded paper in front of me.

“So what’s it—,” Isaac starts but gets caught off as my lips make contact with his. His lips felt soft against mine as they slowly start to move with mine. After a moment Isaac pulls me closer and deepens the kiss. I can feel his strong arms wrap around me as he presses his self against me. This was going way too far than I expected.

Murderer.

I rip myself away from his grip and look away from those vivid blue eyes. S***.

“Ember,” He speaks to me softly but I refuse to look at me.

“That was a mistake. The oracle told me I had too.” I spit out I hesitantly turn my body around to face him.

“So you didn’t want to kiss me at all.” His soft eyes are hypnotizing as they look into mine.

I don’t answer. I don’t have an answer but all I know that we can’t happen.

“Isaac, listen. This...this isn’t going to work.” I say slowly.

“How do you know? We haven’t even tried.” He fires fiercely, anger in his voice.

“You don’t know me Isaac.” I whisper.

“Then I want to get to know you.” He replies.

“If you find out about me. Then you’ll run away. I don’t have a pretty story.” I argue.

“How bad can it be?” He asks.

“Really bad.” I whisper losing energy to talk. That night flashes through my head. Monster.

“Then tell me.” He demands.

“No.” I reply. I need to get out of here. I feel like I’m having trouble breathing.

Isaac tugs me back as I start to scurry away.

“Ember, please.” The tears start falling again. Tears were very rare to me before but now it seems normal as breathing. My lungs seem like they are caught on fire as I start breathe hard.

“I killed them.” I choke. Isaac’s eyebrows furrow as his eyes go wide with alarm.

“It was suppose to be a normal night. They were watching a movie. They didn’t know it was going to happen to them. I came to them and burned them with my mind. Like that wasn’t enough I took a knife I created with my own damn mind and slit their throats. Seth was suppose grow up and I was suppose to tease them about his shyness. He was only a kid.” I gulp letting out a sob. This was the first time I said this out loud. It made it seem more real which made fresh pain cut through me.

“And he—he was suppose find someone other than mom and be happy again. But I took that away. I took all of it away.” I cover my mouth to prevent any more wailing.

“Who were they?” Isaac asks cautiously. Why wasn’t he running?

“My dad.” I let out a breath. “And my brother. I killed them Isaac, I’m a monster!”

“That wasn’t your fault. You wouldn't do that to them.” He argues moving closer to me.

“You don’t know that. I am an uncontrolled freak. What if I do that to you or anyone? I’m dangerous Isaac. You need to leave me alone.” I move away from him refusing his soft touch.

“It’s for your own good.” I finally say before I dashed through the forest and away from him.

I slam the door when I get home and run up to my bedroom. I am grateful that no one is home so I didn’t have to explain anything.

I lie in bed calming my sobs and tears. I need a distraction. My face is sticky from the dried up tears. I sit up and pull out the now crumbled piece of paper. I need a distraction.

Evil or Good

Red or Blue

the stone will glow

in her reflection it will show

This choice will be made

on the day of the storm

at the end of

December.

It is in her name.

So I have to make a choice between evil and good. Wouldn’t that be easy. Then there’s something about a stone that will tell which side I’m on. What stone? And this will happen in December.The day of the storm.That would make it easy to know when the ritual is since it doesn’t even rain in California. A day of a storm will be a big hint. It is in her name. What does that suppose to mean? I mean I know my name is December but that seems to easy.

This was getting me frustrated. I can’t believe that so many lives are in my hands. All this is crazy. If they think that I am capable of saving them or in fact, the world, they are relying on the wrong girl. Don’t they know that I’m not good at saving lives? I’m kind of the opposite. I destroy them.

When I open my eyes the next morning I shut them quickly. A scorching pain goes through my head as I try to lift myself off the bed. I collapse back on to my bed as I clench my teeth to keep the pain from coming back. I turn my head to face the shining glass of the window. Instead of seeing a bright morning sky like I usually see, the sky looks dark. Like it was going to rain.

What? It doesn’t rain in California? And the prophecy says the storm will come in December. It’s October 25.

I shake my head in confusement but soon regret it after the pain returns. I slowly walk into bathroom, my mind foggy. As I reach out for my toothbrush I gasp as I notice a change in the mirror.

Instead of my brownish green eyes, one of my eyes are ocean blue and the other is blood red. Red and Blue the stone will glow. in her reflection it will show.I blink hopelessly trying to turn them back to their original colors but the red and blue stay. I sprint out of the bathroom and rush into my room. I rummage through all my clothes drawers and dresser and finally find what I am looking for. A pair of dark sunglasses. I put them on and face the mirror. I almost look normal.

Everyone stares at me as I trudge down the hall. I keep my head straight looking forward as I enter the history class. Why did I have to have this first thing in the morning? Isaac is already there sitting at his usual spot. He looks as good as he always does but instead the sun isn’t shining on his hair. Also his hair is back to his messy state before he started to groom it. As soon as I walk in, he trains his eyes on me. It’s awkward enough because of our last encounter but my glasses make it worse. I quickly turn my head as soon as we make eye contact. I drag myself to the seat farthest away from him.

After class is done I bolt out of the classroom not wanting to face Isaac’s questioning. Samara didn’t come in today so I didn’t need to worry about her.

“Ember,” Isaac voice called behind me. I walk faster pretending not to hear him. Maybe it will work but Isaac is already beside me.

“If you thought that you could outrun me you were wrong. I won 1st place in the track race last year.” He runs his fingers through his ruffled hair. He looked hot with messed up hair. Ember, stop. Oh, s***. I mean Deci. Get your thoughts straight.

“Hey, why are you wearing sunglasses?” He asks bluntly. I walk faster, not wanting to answer the question.

“Ember, you don’t need to hide anything from me.” He says desperately with a speck of tiredness in his voice.

I stop for a second debating whether I should show him or not. I pause before turning my body around. I remove my glasses from my face keeping my eyes down. Cautiously I lift my eyes to meet Isaac’s wide ones.

“I don’t know what’s happening, Isaac.” I say sounding afraid. Fear makes me look weak so I avoid showing it but now I just can’t help it.

The warning bell rings which gives me a chance to flee, so I do.

After my last class I walk struggle through the sea of students when I spot Isaac, Emma and Tristan talking in the corner. As I get closer I start to hear a little of their conversation above the shouting of the people.

“We’re so close to winning.” Tristan grins as his eyes light up. Winning what?

“Yeah. She’ll pick our side and then we will have all the power of the castors.” Emma agrees her hair swaying one side to another.

“She’s so easy to fool. I didn’t even have to try. She came running to me.” And this was Isaac. My breath caught in my thought as the betrayal stung me. I felt the energy inside begin to go haywire. Control.

Oh. My. God. I was doing everything wrong. I listened to the wrong people. I messed up again. I dart through the school and out into the front yard of the school. The sky seemed to grow darker as the puffy clouds covered the blazing sun.

I run home thinking again to myself that I did everything wrong. I forcefully shut the door and lean on it. I let out a long breath as I try to calm myself down. There’s a sound of clanking dishes in the kitchen.

“December, are you home?” My mom’s voice calls out.

“Yeah I am.” I answer shakily.

“Are you alright?” Her voice says sounding a bit closer. She comes into the room with a red apron on to see me leaning on the door.

“You were right?” I blurt. “I shouldn’t have spent time with them.”

“December, you should sit down. It seems like you’ve been through a lot.” She says softly pulling out a chair. I place myself in the seat and watch as she pulls out another chair.

“Tell me what happened.” She urges with a smile after she sat down herself.

“Well, I thought they were helping me but they were just using me.” I say without revealing too much.

“I’m sorry, December but don’t worry you’ll find better and trustworthy friends. Then they’ll come back begging for you.” She smiles.

I smile too before asking without any warning, “Why’d you name me that? December.”

Her smile doesn’t move but her mood shifts into a serious one.

“I thought it was a unique name. And the meaning of the name is different than what others think.” She responds.

“What does it mean?” I ask curiously. It’s in her name.

“In latin it means the tenth month but the months changed so December became the 12th month.” At the end of December. At the end of the 10th month. October 31. Six days away. My eyes widen as I realize what these means. The ritual is six days away. The storm is coming. The dark skies begin to make sense.

“Um, thanks. I’ve got a ton of homework so I’ll go to my room.” I manage to spit out.

If the ritual is so close I have to make a choice. Well obviously I pick good but which side is that.

Her heart will choose which side she’ll take.

“Alright, you get to that. I’ve been meaning to ask, Why are you wearing glasses?” She nods her head at my dark shades.

“Um, I was having a headache. The dark glasses help,” I make and weak excuse.

“Uh huh. And December, there’s a halloween town party on the 31st. I’d like for you to go since I work for the town council. It’s a formal party so I’d like you to pick from the few dresses in your bedroom. Only if you would like to go?”

The night of the ritual. Should I?

“Sure,” I accept as I strolled up the stairs. The only thing on my mind now was the prophecy and my fate. Would I be the destruction or the salvation?

The next few days I steer clear of Isaac, Emma, Tristan and Samara's path not just because I didn't trust them anymore but also because I need to get my mind straight. The ritual keeps creeping closer and closer as the sky becomes darker and darker. I have this horrible feeling in my stomach that seems to grow as the day gets closer. I barely understand the prophecy but there is something about a glowing stone. Do I have to find the stone?

What stone? I don’t know how to save whoever I’m protecting but I know if I don’t everyone is going down and it won’t be good.

“Hey Deci, I barely see you around. What up?” Emma bounces in front of me with energy. It pains me to see that she is still pretending to be my friend when she is going against me behind my back. But soon that pain dissolves to anger.

“Oh, I’ve just been pretty busy with school and stuff.” I smile an innocent sweet smile. I adjust my glasses before I saunter away. I whip my blondish brown hair over my shoulder for dramatic effect.

Before I could get to my next class I halt to stop as Samara stands right in front me. I try to move out of the way but she moves with me not letting me go.

“Excuse me,” I sigh with annoyance.

“What is wrong with you?” She asks.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about?” I answer glaring at her through my glasses

“You know what. Why have you been avoiding all of us?” She rolls her eyes at my innocent play.

“I just don’t have time. Why do you care so much?” I say but don’t wait for a response. I weave myself around her and head to my class.

The party is tomorrow which means the ritual is around the corner. When I enter my room I walk towards my bedroom closet and swing it open. The closet is crowded with clothes and suitcases. At the corner there are about 5 dresses neatly hung up by wooden hangers. There’s a really pretty blue dress that would come up to above my knees. There’s black embroidering along the edge of the dress. Out of all the dresses this seems the best. I take it out of the closet and set it on the table. It seems so inappropriate to be picking out a dress when my life and others are at risk. As I go back to my closet to close the door I see something peeking out of one of my suitcases. I hunch down to stuff it back in. Then I realize the familiar jeweled borders. It’s the picture I brought from home. I take it out and stare at Seth and dad’s smiling faces. I examine the frame, before I stop at the dull looking jewel on top. I brush my fingers across it when the stone starts glowing red. I snatch my hand away which makes the color fade away. The stone. My red and blue eye widen as I realize what I just found. Red or Blue, The stone will glow.

The thunder crackling in the sky is what wakes me up the next morning. This was it. There’s no turning back now.

I force myself out of bed and look at the mirror in my room. My hair is all frizzy and both my eyes look more noticeable than usual. I rummage through my things to find my glasses but they are no where to be found. Damn it. Where are they? I keep searching but they are not anywhere. I let out a huge sigh.

I stay in my room most of the day. Mom has been at work the whole day. She said she would come back before the party started. I couldn’t go anywhere with a red and blue eye. Then something clicked in my mind. Contacts. I can pretend I’m wearing contacts. I mean it is Halloween.

“December are you home?” Mom calls out to me.

“Yeah, I’m just getting ready.” I call back.

“Alright, tell me when you’re ready.” Her voice yells back.

“Okay.” I reply picking up the dress.

After I get ready I look at myself in the mirror. I don’t look bad with my hair down and the dress on. It’s just my eyes seem out of place. I take in a deep breath. The stone. I open my closet and take the picture from last night out of my suitcase. I stare at the stone on the top of the frame thoughtfully. This is my destiny. I wrench the stone off of the frame leaving an empty space on the frame. The stone glows the blood red as one of my eyes.

I rush down the stairs as I fill the stone into my black pouch.

“Ready?” My mom asks as she comes in wearing a black and white dress her hair in a bun.

“Yup.” I nod my head at her. Her expression on her face turns confused.

“What happened to your eyes?” She asks.

“Um, I’m wearing contacts,” I respond hurriedly before walking out to the car.

We drive for a little while until we reach the party. There is a crowd of people all dressed up drinking and eating as they mingled with each other. The music is loud and can barely be heard over the chattering.

“Okay, December I’ll see you later. I need to go talk to some people.” She excuses herself.

I feel a lot of stares on me as I walk through the crowd. I look down shielding my eyes. I look around to see if anyone here is familiar. That’s when I spot them. The guys are wearing black suits while the girls are wearing dresses. Tristan, Emma and Samara stare at me wide eyed. Isaac looks at me with a sad look in his blue eyes and maybe a hint of longing. I look away from them. Did they know the ritual was tonight? Or did they just lie about it being in December.

“Hey, Deci. I haven’t seen you in a long time.” Sean walks closer to me.

“Yeah, I haven’t seen you in a long time either.” I smile, glad to find a friend here. But then I remember that he is one of them. Maybe he’s on the other side. The better side.

“How’ve you been?” He asks.

“You know the usual. You?” I respond.

“The same. You look nice and those eyes are pretty cool. Creepy but cool.” He smiles.

“Well, I wanted to try something new.” I laugh. “You look pretty good too.”

He’s wearing a black suit almost identical to Isaac and Tristan’s. His bangs are pushed to the side.

“Thanks.” He says before the song changes into a slower one. I look around seeing everyone start dancing with their partners.

“May I have this dance.” Sean asks in a posh way when I turn back and look at him.

I smile at him. “Yes you may.”

We start dancing and its silent for awhile.

“Deci,” Sean whispers before leaning in without warning. His lips meet mine but I don’t respond. I stay frozen. Kissing Sean is just awkward because I don’t like him like that. Before I could pull away I hear commotion.

“Get away from her!” I hear someone exclaim.

I turn around to see a raging Isaac charging towards us. He goes straight to Sean and punches him square in the face. The impact of the punch makes Sean fly backwards. Tristan pulls Isaac back.

“What the hell is wrong with you?” I gasp. I fiercely turn away and rush out of the building.

“Ember wait,” I hear Isaac’s faint screams.

Thunder crackled above me reminding me of the last day with Seth and dad. I dig through the pouch I brang and take out the stone. The stone instantly glows red. Rain starts pouring on to me. Something calls me to the forest that is ahead of me. I start rushing to the forest as the rain starts pouring more viciously.

“Wait.” I hear a girls voice call out from behind me. I turn to see a drenched Samara.

“What do you want?” I ask bitterly.

“You’re on the wrong side. You’ve got to listen to me.” She warns cautiously eyeing the stone like it might burn her. “I know you heard the rest of them say things that make you skeptical about us but that was possession. That wasn’t them.”

“Then who was it?” I ask viciously. “How can I trust you?”

“You can’t and I know you don’t like me but you are putting your own life at risk. And I don’t know who used possesion but I can tell you this person is very strong if she or he can possess more than one person at once.”

The invisible magnetic force pulls me closer to the woods.

“Sorry, Samara but I have to do this now.” I look down at the stone that is now flickering from red to blue.

“Dec, please.” She sounds desperate as the thunder grows louder.

I head straight to the forests as I begin to see Tristan, Emma and Isaac walking out of the building. I need to get this over with. As I begin to get surrounded by trees, I see two figures in the dark.

“I’m so glad you’re here December,” I hear a woman's voice as Sean and my mom step out of the shadows. My eyes grow wide as I fit everything together. The abilities get passed down from family.

“Y-you are part of this.” I ask as my body shudders from the rain sliding down my body.

“Yes, and now I’m here to help you make the right choice.” She says.

“We’re both here to help you.” Sean continues for her.

“Stay away from her Deci, she’s the evil they talk about in the prophecy,” Emma screams at me with alarm in her voice, suddenly beside me.

Sean and mom fall back as a force pushes them down,” I turn to look who was the source of this. Isaac stands there with his arms out, his eyes shining with emotion. His black hair is wet and stuck to his forehead but he manages to look good as ever.

“Ember,” He whispers when he catches me staring. He takes a look at the flickering stone in my hand.

“Deci, you know we are the right side, just choose us,” Sean says as he gets up from the mud that has formed on the ground. His suit is splattered with dirt.

“Yes, December. You know I would never hurt you like they did.” My mom agrees.

This triggers a memory from somewhere. The night flashes through my mind. Fire and blood. The screams of my brother and my dad. I had absolutely no control over my actions. I would never kill my family. Possession.

I stare at my mom’s face for a long time. I see it. Behind the fake innocence I see desperation for power. I should have known. She. Killed. Them.

“You!” I scream as the energy in me begins to rise. “You killed them!” Everyone gapes at me not knowing what to do.

“Well, took you long enough,” She sneers her innocent look fading away. “But now you give me no choice. ” She eyes my red stone that is now fading into blue. Red. Evil. Blue. Good.

She starts toward me when someone screams, “NO!” Isaac throws my mom back to the ground again.

“Not funny Isaac,” she says icily as she glares at Isaac. From the corner of my eye I see Sean coming towards me in full speed but it’s a little too late. Sean jumps onto me making me fall to the ground. The stone fall out of my grip as the color fades away.

I close my eyes and picture a gun filled with fiery bullets. In a few seconds I feel the shape of the gun in my hands. I aim it on Sean’s head but soon he is ripped away from me. Tristan tackles Sean as Emma and Samara approach me. They have a faraway look in their eyes like their zombies.

“Em, take the shield off of her.” Samara tells Emma as I feel something lift of my mind.

“All done,” Emma responds.

“Great,” Samara says as I feel a tearing pain in my head. I scream out in agony as I hold my head. They are possessed.

I let my gun fall to the ground with a thud and open up imagination instead. I envision two gray medium size rocks falling from the sky and banging onto their heads. The rocks are hard enough to temporarily knock them out. The rocks come down like the vicious rain falling now and strike them on their heads. As they fall into an unconscious state, I crawl around the mud searching for the stone. As I pass my hand through the disgusting muck on the ground, against every stone and leaf, something glows blue.

“Yes,” I pick it up and spot Isaac fighting against my mom.

“Let him go,” I snarl at my mom.

“Why should I? I can kill him so quickly,” she had him in a headlock as Isaac struggled to become free.

“Let him go,” I repeat. “Or else I’ll kill you just like you killed my dad and my brother.” I picture the same burning fire as that dreadful night.

“Oh December, you think you can threaten me. Remember what I did to them. I can do the same to you but after I get the destiny I desire.” She lunges towards me leaving Isaac behind.

The fire grows larger. Larger than the fire of that night. Isaac is concentrating on her as she is pushed back into the fire. I grip the stone in my hand refusing to let go.

“No. No!” She starts screaming as the fire devours her. I let out a gasp as she disappears with the fire. I rush to Isaac and embrace him. He hugs me back tightly like he won’t ever let go.

“You okay.” I ask concerned as I look up at his striking blue eyes. The rain is still streaming down hitting our faces with force.

“I’m fine. I’m just glad you are okay.” His face is stained with mud and blood.

I touch the wound on his face carefully before I reach up and kiss him with all the emotion I have. After we pull away from each other I look down at the stone. It’s glowing the brightest blue I’ve ever seen.

“Hey, you ready?” Samara’s voice asks from behind me.

“Yeah,” I say as I turn around. Sean is lying on the floor with his eyes shut.

“It’s kind of easy to fight someone if you can read their mind.” Tristan grins at me.

This is it. I finally feel sure of myself. I can do this. I picked the right side. I was certain. In her reflection it will show. All I needed was a mirror. I closed my eyes and imagined a clear mirror with a beautiful golden border hanging on the tree trunk in front of me. I slowly looked up at the mirror that had just appeared identical to the one in my mind.

Both my eyes were now a brilliant shade of blue matching the glowing blue of the stone held in my palms. I smile as the mirror began to glow a blinding light causing the sky to clear up and the rain slowly come to a halt.

____________________________________________________________________________

***********************