The Forest | Teen Ink

The Forest

January 13, 2014
By MeganForeman, toddville, Iowa
More by this author
MeganForeman, Toddville, Iowa
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note: This piece may seem boring at first but just keep up and read what will happen!

Once upon a time there was a family that lived in this forest. Little did they know that it was a enchanted forest. All the creatures were invisible if they went into hiding mode from humans and in order to get to through the portal to get to their side they must find the lost key. All the creatures were trapped in this forest that humans lived among them.
Strutus, the smallest Azum out of the creatures being about seven feet tall, loved to watch the tiny human who her family called her Emmie. Emmie was this smart little girl who loved to go outside and search for all sorts of little critters and would sing and dance. Strutus envied this short girl on how happy she was. He hated how much he had to hide. Even though the Azum creatures are the closest to looking human, one thing would give it away that their not. Azums have silver eyes and tend to be very tall. Their Pale skin and pitch black hair.Strutus envied how Emmie had this dark gold brown hair and green eyes and thought that her shortness was adorable. Strutus and Emmie were probably the same age, but Azums grow faster. When humans are the age of one, Azums looked about the age of three to five years old.
Emmie was the youngest out of three kids, their mother died giving birth to Emmie, 18 years ago. Her two twin brothers still lived at home because they felt like their father needed them. Even though they were only a year older than Emmie, She knew the real reason they didn’t want to move was because this forest was holding them back. Of course they could live if they wanted too but, it just won’t feel right. It felt as if there was a little voice still saying they needed to be there. To live there till they are ready to free themselves.
Strutus was also the youngest out of three Azum children. He didn’t get to meet his mother either. Not because she died though, but because she was young when she had children and the first two children were hidden but as soon as Strutus was born she knew she couldn’t hide three children. She wrote letters to all her children and her lover. She took off in the night without a trace. Strutus doesn’t even have a picture of her.

One day Strutus decided to show himself to Emmie. He went for a walk and “accidently” ran into her.
“Oh, I’m sorry I didn’t see you!” Strutus said in the most apologetic way he could.
“It is ok, I’m really short and well you seem to be pretty tall.” Emmie replied back
Strutus wasn’t sure where to take this conversation. He NEVER talked to a human, let alone a female one!

“Where did you come from anyways?” Emmie asked

“Oh I live not too terribly far from here. I like to go for a walk sometimes around this time.” Strutus trying to stay calm replied.

“Really? I never have seen you before.” Emmie said being really curious now that someone that looks not too much older than her actually lives by her?

“Um...Yeah I tend to stay hidden. My name is Strutus by the way.”

“Well you're really good at it then! And my name is Emmie.”

“Well nice to meet you Emmie. I best get on my way my father would be furious if he thought I got lost.”

“See you around maybe sometime Strutus.”
Emmie kept thinking to herself. How was that guy so tall, had pitch black hair and silver eyes. Not even blue silver, but gray silver. Not that she didn’t find it attractive. She just couldn’t figure out how and if he lived around here then she knows he most likely didn’t wear colored contacts. They lived in a forest and no one liked to travel into town unless they had too.

“Hey Ems!” Her father greeted her
“Hey dad.”
“How has your day been?” Her dad asked
“Pretty good, the most interesting thing happened though. I ran into this guy just walking in the forest. He wasn’t much older than me, but dad HE HAD SILVER EYES!!! He also was about seven feet tall!”
“Emmie, You’re short, Anyone over the height of 5’6” is a giant to you dear.”
“No, Dad….He was tall and his name was unusual.”
“Are you making this up Em? No one lives by us within miles. No one can be that tall!”
“No really dad. This guy just ran into me and said he lived not too far. If I see him again I can ask for him to come back to talk to you?”
“Alright Em.”

The next day Emmie went for the same walk again and Strutus was just by a tiny creek sitting there. She just looked at him wondering what he was thinking and how he randomly is there before she shows up. As if he knows that she will be there.

Strutus turned around and saw Emmie.
“Oh hey! Didn’t expect you to be here!” Strutus sad
“Yeah, I really didn’t expect myself to be either. Strutus how are you so tall?” Emmie asked
“My parents are very tall I’m the runt in my family actually….”
“I told my dad I met you and he didn’t believe that you’re actually that tall.”
“Oh, Well most um humans aren’t really too tall. I can see his understandment.”
“Well Strutus I would like to hear more about your life.”
Strutus got so nervous he turned invisible and visible again. Not even realizing what he just had done.
“Oh my! How did you do that?” Emmie asked
“Do what? I didn’t do anything.” Strutus replied
“Yes you did! You were invisible for a few seconds!” Emmie replied in excitement. She didn’t know what to think of this. She didn’t believe things couldn’t be not human, but Strutus was very tall, pitch black hair and silver eyes. She didn’t understand any of this.
“Strutus, What are you? Don’t lie either.” Emmie just came out and asked.
“Azums….” Strutus said quietly. He felt ashamed because he knew his family would be disappointed in him for letting a human see him and letting a human see him disappear.

Emmie didn’t know what a Azum was or what exactly they could do. She was way too shocked. What freaked her out even more was that she thought she was attracted to Strutus and now that she knows hes not even human she didn’t know what feel.

“What is a Azum?” Emmie asked
“We are human like. We live in a different world that is connected to this forest.” Strutus replied trying to keep calm.
“Why haven’t I seen more than just you then?” Emmie asked out of curiosity.
“We turn invisible around humans and other beings we don’t want to see us. Very few come to your world unless they want away. That I know of I am the first to show myself to a human. I’ve seen you before though.” Strutus said
“Well now what?” Emmie said flat out
“What do you mean? Aren’t you scared? Worried? Anything?” Strutus asked
“No, not really. Yeah it kinda freaks me out that all these Azums could be watching me whenever and I have no idea I am being watched. Other than that everythings fine.”
“Oh, Don’t worry we just watch nature and observe your kind in this world. We don’t go into houses or look through windows.” Strutus said
“Phew, well thats good! Strutus, would you like to come over for dinner? I won’t tell my dad about you not being human.” Emmie asked
“I would love to. I just have to be home before midnight here. The way to my home closes after that. There's more creatures and some aren’t too nice, so they close the gate way.”

Emmie took Strutus back to her house and Strutus just stood there as Emmie’s father observed him. He was astonished by Strutus.
“Emmie, you weren’t kidding this boy is tall!
“Yeah, I don’t lie dad,” Emmie replied.
“Well son, I must ask are your eyes really that color or are those contacts?” Emmie’s father asked Strutus
“Um, Sir its my true eye color….I have no idea what contacts are…” Strutus said feeling very stupid.
“Well its a pretty neat color,” Emmie’s father replied feeling like a jerk for asking now.
“How about you two go get dinner ready,” Emmie’s father said.
Emmie dragged Strutus into the kitchen and made him wash his hands. Emmie showed him where everything was and Strutus was very lost. Of course they had knives, spoons and forks in his world, but he wasn’t use to this human looking stuff. He was a prince of the Azums so he was use to completely different everything. He figured he better attempt to help out.
“Strutus, you don’t have to help out. I know everything is probably way different than it is in your home,” Emmie said.
“No, it is fine. I know somethings. I just have no idea what you’re making. It’s a giant circle of dough,” Strutus said.
“You never had pizza before?” Emmie asked in shocked.
“Um...No..My chief is all about health. We only eat things that some person with no taste buds would enjoy,” Strutus said.
“You have a chief?”
“Yes, I am a son of a king..” Strutus said
“I wouldn’t of guessed. You dress just like my brothers would. Nothing that fancy.” Emmie said
“Yeah, I spend most of my time in this world. I just eat those berries in the forest when I’m here.” Strutus said.
“Well, lets hurry up and make this pizza! You need some fat on your bones!” Emmie joked.
Emmie decided to steal some pepperonis as she was putting them on the pizza. She forced Strutus to eat one. He seemed to enjoy it. She flicked some flour on him and he flicked some back. They got into a flour fight.
“What are you guys doing in there?” Emmie’s father asked when he heard so much laughter and with Emmie he knew that was never good whenever she was making pizza.
“Oh, HI DAD!” Emmie said very cheery
“Sorry sir. I’ll help clean it up…” Strutus said
“Its fine kids. Its just flour. With Emmie this happens all the time Strutus.” Emmie’s father said with a smile to make sure Strutus knew he wasn’t mad at them.
They all three started to laugh. Strutus can’t remember the last time he had this much fun. He knew he was starting to like Emmie. He knew with her in his life as just a friend would be amazing. He wasn’t sure how much his family would like it if they knew he was even in the human world without being invisible.

Emmie knew she was starting to like Strutus, but she didn’t want no twilight life story. She knew Strutus wasn’t even close to a vampire. The thought of him not being human though she just couldn’t get over. She wondered what the kids of a Azum and human would look like. Emmie obviously knew it would look human, but could it live in a human world or would it be too noticeable. She just didn’t know what to think. Emmie’s older brothers came in and looked puzzled. Emmie explained that this is her new friend. Her brothers even knew she saw something besides a friend in Strutus. They were fine with it though. They just trusted Strutus for some reason right off the bat. He just seemed so trustworthy.


It was 11:30 at night in the human world and Emmie knew that Strutus had to go very soon. Strutus looked at Emmie. She looked so tired. Strutus thought Emmie looked adorable. He wouldn’t ever say that out loud though. He was a prince after all and had to make sure he didn’t lose his pride.
One thing about the Azum culture is that they know when they have found their soul mate. Strutus was positive that Emmie was his. He was sure that Emmie liked Strutus too. He couldn’t just come out and ask her though because that wouldn’t be how his kind solve that sort of problem and he wasn’t sure how humans dealt with their feelings.
Emmie fell asleep right before midnight and Strutus fell asleep on accident shortly after. What Strutus didn’t know is that his family has been looking for him all day and night. They decided to try the human world before it closed. They searched everywhere and couldn’t find where he has ran off to.
“That darn child of mine better show up soon!” His father told his oldest son.
“He has to father, where else could of he gone?” Stefon the oldest son said to his father.
“I don’t know! He better be home in his bed when I get there or else!” His father yelled
Strutus heard the yelling from outside and woke up. He wasn’t sure what to do. He accidently fell asleep in the human world! How could of he done that! He is a prince and is suppose to be responsible, but then again he just can’t leave Emmie. He just would go home tomorrow morning and tell his father that he was in the human world trying to gain more insight on the lives that life in this world. Technically he thought, it is not lying. He is gaining insight on how relationships work in this world.
Emmie’s dad woke Strutus and Emmie up by yelling at them.
“Hey! No sleeping with my daughter!” Emmie’s dad yelled jokingly. He knew they didn’t even cuddle. One was on the floor and the other was half way on the couch and they were in the livingroom.
“Oh, sorry sir,” Strutus replied.
“He is just kidding Strutus, he trusts me and well you seem trustworthy,” Emmie told Strutus.
“For the life of a chicken, You apologize way too much, son,” Emmie’s dad said.
“I’m sorry, I tend to do that too much, in my family I tend to be the blame of everything.” Strutus said shamefully.
“Well you’re too nice! Rub some of it off on my sons!” Emmie’s dad joked. “Now, How about some breakfast?”
“I should take a pass, I best better be getting home. My father might be furious at me for not saying I was going to be gone all night, but thank you, Sir,” Strutus said kindly.
Emmie walked Strutus to the door and Strutus started to walk away until he knew no one could see him then he turned invisible. He knew his father was going to punish him somehow.
“Where have you been Strutus!” His father yelled as soon as he walked in the castle.
“I was exploring the human world and accidently stayed too long and the portal closed.” Strutus said in a voice that didn’t sound convincing.
“Very well then, but you missed out on all your morning chores already. You must go see what all the maids haven’t done yet and finish their work for them!” His father demanded.
Strutus went to go see what Caroline and Catherine had to finish. They already had a list and just gave him the list. It read;
Dishes
Fold Laundry
Feed all animals
Well that seemed easy enough Strutus thought. He finished the whole list within two hours. He then decided that he should go see Emmie again. He went through the portal and landed in the human world. Strutus ran to Emmie's house. She was right outside and the sunlight hit her perfectly, he thought. He decided he better slow his pace or else she's going to think hes an idiot!
“Good afternoon, Strutus,” Emmie said cheery. She has been waiting for him to come back.
“Good afternoon to you too,” He replied back with bright pink cheeks.
Emmie ran up to Strutus and kissed him. Strutus was shocked you could say.
Five years later…
“I do take thee as my wife,” Strutus said after the minister.
“And do you Emmie Lane take Strutus AzTuff as your husband?” The minister asked.
“I do take thee as my husband,” Emmie said after the minister.
“I pronounce you mister and misses AzTuff. May you two live happily ever after,” The minister said.
Not all humans knew about the Azums, only Emmie’s family. They decided that they would have a home in the human world during the year, and on weekends and during the summer would stay in Strutus’s homeland. It took awhile for Strutus’s family to accept it, but after they really started knowing Emmie they all knew that this marriage would last forever, that Emmie was really made for Strutus.
After Strutus and Emmie got back from their honeymoon, Emmie gave Strutus a present.
“What’s this?” Strutus asked holding up this little picture of an alien he thought.
“Its a ultrasound picture, we’re going to be parents!” Emmie said excitedly.
“Thats great!” Strutus said jumping up and down.

Nine months later…

Strutus and Emmie had a little baby boy and girl! They both had Emmie’s dark golden brown hair and Strutus silver eyes with a tint of green around the edges of their eyes. Strutus and Emmie thought they were perfect. They hardly cried as babies and as they grew older the twins became best friends and this was a little perfect family. Sometimes Scamus, the little boy, would turn invisible when he knew he was going to get in trouble for pulling his sister, Emlinn’s, hair. This little family grew older together with love. They lived happily ever after.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.