Dark Chronicles: The Halfbreed | Teen Ink

Dark Chronicles: The Halfbreed

January 12, 2014
By xxKylexx77, Apex, North Carolina
More by this author
xxKylexx77, Apex, North Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The year is 2039 and Earth has become a living hell! Eleven years ago people known as Hell Bounds/Demon Walkers are people who look like demons from the underworld. They also have extraordinary abilities. However ordinary people are now known as Blanks. Since Hell Bounds have made an appearance mankind has been at war. With the Blanks superior numbers everyone thought they would win but, Hell Bounds were stronger. And now the entire world is scorched with the aftermath of two powers, the Saints Underworld Society (S.U.S.) they are in charge of every Hell Bound, and the New United Countries Establishment (N.U.C.E.) which as you probably already guessed were in charge of every average person. Now several years later and the two powers are still fighting each other.

In an alleyway on the streets of suburban apartment complexes, I sit a lonely seven year old boy with nothing, but dark shorts and a dark silk blanket with holes, as I cover my face from the rain it is obviously not working very well. As I look to the street seeing adults walk by without a care in the world I see a group of kids about my age playing football in cut up cloths, since the war only the military or the rich have used vehicles, so it did not matter if they were playing in the street in the rain. There are about ten kids playing and as I look at them I think to myself man it sure must be nice being normal.
Which I was clearly not I have sharper teeth than the average person; my hearing is as strong as a dog, not to add I’m five times stronger. And then there are my eyes everyone gets blue, green, hazel, brown, but my eyes are bright red what kid has silver eyes when there born.
I look away from the other kids and grab a brown paper bag beside me. I open up the paper bag and inside a loaf of bread. I pull the bag a little and take a bite out of the bread, the bread tasted fresh. By taken that bite it made me feel more alive like energy just surged to me, I take a few more bites feeling more of that surge of energy. As I go for another bite of the fresh bread I hear a gasp, I look over to the street to see a kid about the same age as me looking at me. As the boy and me looked at each other, but thanks to my super hearing I could hear his teeth chatter as he trembles and shakes. And when I looked into his black eyes I could see fear and a sense of lost hope.
The boy then begins to bring one of his trembling arms up pointing at me and whispers something that I could not make out very well at first, but then the boy got louder.
“DIABLO CHICO” the boy yelled pointing at me with his trembling arm.
I wasn’t sure if anybody had heard him at first but I didn’t stick around to find out, almost acting on instinct I ran away from the boy before anybody paid attention to the boy. The boy kept yelling “DIABLO CHICO,” when I got a few yards away from the boy without paying much attention I drop the brown bag with the bread in it. I turn to see where the bag is, but instead of seeing a brown paper bag I see a mob of adults running towards me. Forgetting the bag I run as fast as I could to keep away from the mob. I’m not sure how I could outrun a mob without my full strength but I had to think of something. After taking a few turns and going down more alleyways, I reach one alleyway where I could get away. On the left side of the alleyway a giant stack of woven baskets were pilled together some had flowers on them and others had drawings of animals on them. I didn’t have time to look at all the baskets as I ran past I grabbed two baskets, one with yellow flowers on it, and the other with a drawing of what appeared to be a horse all though it looked like a one year old drew it. Anyway, after I pulled the two baskets away the stack began to shack and wobble and as the mob came around the corner the stack began to fall, one basket knocked a man off his feet, another hit a lady with blonde hair in the face, and one by one the mob of adults tripped over baskets or fell on top of one another.
The mob struggles to get free of the fallen baskets, but without waiting for them to get on their feet I run around another corner. As I came around the corner I was standing in front of a brick wall that was blocking my way. I could hear the mob getting free I had to think of something fast, and then I noticed a manhole cover lying on the ground. I pick up the manhole cover only to smell a terrible sewage system that also had toxic gas I cover my mouth with part of the blanket. The mob was getting closer to the corner, and I had little options I jumped down to the bottom of the sewer but not before closing the cover. When I reached the bottom I felt like I was about to faint dew to the unbearable stench, the sewer was pitch black I could not even see my own hand in fact the only light down there was the small ounce of light coming from the manhole cover that I came through. Then I heard footsteps coming from the ground above me I knew it had to be the mob.
“Where’d he go?” a man asked
“There’s no way he could have gotten over this brick wall it time before we saw him, could he?” another man asked confused.
“Nonsense, look there’s a manhole cover there maybe he went down there” another said.
I thought it was over I had no were to go and I knew once they removed that cover I would be caught, but just before the cover was picked off of the ground.
“Wait…” a different man said “you all literally don’t believe he’s down there, nothing could survive down there” he continued.
Then the mob began walking away from the cover until I could no longer hear a single footstep, after waiting a few more seconds I began to climb out. But before I opened the cover I think wait what if someone is still out there. I reach up and push the cover up high enough to look out; as I look around I didn’t see anyone. I climb out of the toxic sewer and put the manhole cover back like ever happened. When I take moment to take a breath, I reeked of sewer stench and could barely keep myself from falling over. Then I see a fire escape I walk over to it and see that it is rusted, but that is the least of my concerns especially if the mob returns. So I jump up grabbing the fifth rusted bar of the fire escape, I begin to climb the ladder as I get my foot on the first bar the bar breaks my arms begin to hurt not expecting it. However I pull myself up, I get to the edge the rail and swing myself over landing on my side with a loud clang. But I manage to get to my feet, and go up the stairs of the fire escape heading to the roof.
When I reach the roof of the building I see clouds of smoke surrounding everywhere amongst hundreds of apartment buildings. As I turn around I see a long wall surrounding the former city of Los Angeles, the whole city surrounded by smoke that is making the entire city very dark like it was covered in darkness.
As I look at the dark city, “Welcome to the City of Darkness” I say to myself.
This is what Earth has become nothing but a shadow; this is the world I live in today me a seven year old boy who has no name. I reach into my pocket and pull out a playing card I turn the card over to see the face of the card, the card is the Ace of Spades. If I were to give myself a name this would be my name, my name is Spade and the world I live in now is a new Earth a darker Earth.

Now eleven years have passed since I was being chased by an angry mob. Over the years I’ve been able to stay low under the radar by not staying in one place for too long, but every time I move I feel even more like an outcast. Luckily over the years I have been making myself busy, I have been collecting useful items that people have forgotten about, like a black leather jacket, a pair of sunglasses, and even a jeep.

When I turned sixteen I was scavenging around a junkyard, full of different things from the past fifty years, I had found a dirty gray two door 2012 jeep wrangler. At first when I found it I thought that it was my chance to get away from this place, but when I opened up the hood of the vehicle there was no engine. After looking around the junkyard some more I found an engine, a badly damaged engine, but an engine never the less. After using some other scrapes from the junkyard I was able to get the jeep started over time.

I’m getting off topic now as I was saying; eleven years have passed since I had been chased into that manhole cover. I stand in a bathroom staring at myself through the mirror, after I had just took a shower, looking at my wet dark brown hair, my eyes had lost their color they looked brown instead of bright red, and my sharp teeth but they weren’t as sharp as they use to be, even my craving for raw meat had vanished, all seemed to died down except for my hearing. Remembering what happened eleven years ago about the mob chasing me, and that boy who called me a demon. Ever since then two questions kept popping up in my head that could not be answered, how was I, and why…why am I so different from everyone else?
The more I thought about it the more it worried me, and then I heard someone call me “Spade” he yelled “can you come down here?” a man said, but with my super hearing it sounded normal to me.
I put on a pair of pants and a red t-shirt that were hanging up next a towel I came out of the bathroom and into a small room with a twin bed with nothing hanging white painted walls this is my room I had been staying here for a while. I headed out another door that lead to a hallway with the same color walls as in my room; next to my room is a pair of stairs I began to head down the stairs before I saw a man and a kid talking to each other. The kid has short black hair with little strands of purple, the kid wore an orange t-shirt and overalls, the kid looked like he was nine, the kid is C.J. Hector, C.J. stood for Catherine Jane from a distance you would not be able to tell she was a girl until you were face to face. The man has gray hair and beard he looked like he was in his eighties, he wore a white t-shirt and tan shorts with grease spots on his cloths, that man is Richard Stein, but everyone called him Steady for his steady hands, and by everyone I mean me and C.J.. Steady owned a garage his motto “we fix it all or we fail miserably” great catch phrase hah, Steady found me when I was ten roaming the streets alone to stay alive, C.J. however had a more tragic story her parents abandon her when she was a baby since she was four she has been trying to see the outside world. But Steady would not allow it.
“Steady, C.J. what’s going on?” I asked.
They immediately stopped talking and looked up at me “nothing” C.J. said she looked like she had just started crying.
“Happy Birthday” she said the nice way she could trying to not sound upset and stormed off.
“Don’t worry about her she just needs to blow off some stem” Steady said, “now get down here your gift is not going to unwrap its self.”
I continued down the stairs, I completely forgot it was my birthday today March 12, when I reached the bottom of the stairs Steady was standing next to a sheet covering over a large object the sheet was ordinary no color, no designs, not even a sign that says happy birthday present.
“What is that?” I asked him because obviously it was not a gift.
“This is your special eighteenth birthday present” pointing to the sheet.
Great hope the present itself is better than the wrapping paper; I walked over and removed the sheet. What was under it I could not believe the gray jeep wrangler that I found a few years ago was under the sheet. The jeep was way different than how I found it instead of it being a dirty gray color it shined bright silver; the jeep had a complete makeover since last I saw it. I did not realize it but my mouth was wide open from the amazement.
“That’s not the only thing you’ll think is cool” Steady said, he popped open the hood.
When he opened it the engine that had been made of scrape was recreated into a high torque diesel engine, I was stunned to see a better engine for the jeep.
“This is amazing” I told Steady.
“Me and C.J. built it for you.”
My surprise went away I figured what C.J. was mad about was I could leave and go see the world and stuff, and she couldn’t.
“What happened?” I tried not to think about it but I could not help but ask what had happened.
Steady looked uneasy, “she believes it’s not right that I’m letting you go but not her.”
“Maybe I shouldn’t go.”
“No…you still have a life to live this place, this is my life” he told me “C.J. will get her chance one day just not today.”
“It just doesn’t seem right.”
“Look I followed my own path and its time you found yours….it’s time to find your own way.”
I wasn’t sure what to do but I did know one thing, Steady was right it was time for me to follow my own path.
“I’ll go get packed.”
And headed upstairs to my room, I grabbed a suitcase out of my closet and put it on my bed and began to pack my belongings up starting with the pants, shirts, socks, etc. When I went to go get a jacket hanging on a coat rack behind me I saw my black jacket being held by C.J.
“What are you doing?” I asked her.
“I’m going with you.”
“No you’re not.”
“And why not…because Steady says I can’t, because I’m too young.”
The last thing I wanted to do right now was get in an argument with her, I’ve known C.J. for so long that she was like a sister to me.
“You are too young” making an excuse.
“That’s not the real reason is it you guys still think I’m a little girl. You guys don’t even care about me.”
She scampered out of the room throwing my jacket to the floor, I wanted to go after her but I might just make things worse. I walked over to my jacket that she through to the ground and picked it up; C.J. was wrong thinking that we did not care about her. The truth is that when I first meet Steady and C.J. was almost eight years ago, and Steady told me what happened to her being abandon, but Steady never told her, the thing about keeping a secret this long is that it usually comes back to haunt you.
After I finished packing, and putting my jacket on, I find Steady downstairs waiting for me in his hands is a green bag.
“What’s this?” I asked.
“Just a going away present.”
He hands the bag to me, and I open it to find some wrapped in a green plastic bag up food and a canteen three quarters empty of water.
“Sorry about the water we are low on it for today, which is strange because we had enough left” he says.
I push the food and canteen away, under them is a rolled up piece of paper. I unroll the paper to find a map covering LA all the way to Washington D.C. the map was digital; when I clicked on LA the map zoomed in.
“This map may come in handy if you lose your way or anything” Steady tells me.
I put the map back in the green bag, with the food, and water. But I could not help, but notice C.J. was not down stairs.
“Where’s C.J.?”
“I’m not sure” he says just realizing she was not here.
I put the green bag and my suitcase in the back seat of the jeep.
“Well tell her I’ll see you guys soon.”
“Will do, oh and Spade be careful while you’re out there there’s all ways danger in different forms you can count on it.”
It sounded like he was trying to warn me about something, but I could not tell about what. I got in the driver’s seat of the car and drove out the garage; the outside of the building was dark green of a two a story building. As I drove thru the street of apartments I remembered how I use to hide and stay alive doing anything that was necessary to stay alive. When I reached the outskirts of the city, the sky not covering the city wasn’t covered with black clouds the sky was sunny and blue with white clouds. This had been my second time seeing the sky like that I recall seeing it when I was younger, but I could not remember when. As I headed out into the world covered by the sunny blue sky, I entered a desert outside the city. The air in the city was cool and moist, however the air in the desert immediately turned warm and dry I felt could feel myself sweating. I was on my own now following my own path.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.