Savior Heart | Teen Ink

Savior Heart

By ShyRhea SILVER, Cordell, Oklahoma
ShyRhea SILVER, Cordell, Oklahoma

"I'm too imaginative for my own good."

Author's note: I can't say much about myself, but Heart's story was worth writing, and I really need help with finishing her beautiful story. This is for all of the OTHER kids, the ones that just want to go home after school and ignore their moms.

nothing to say. I worked on it.

1

Do you know what it's like to be the most popular girl in school, if you do then you're not me. My name is Heart Foreman. I'm eighteen, and in my last year of high school, and the kind of girl that everyone is afraid talk too. I listen to music during class, I ride a bright red motorcycle, and I don't like talking to people. You know the annoyed kind of quiet, that people take for hate. I'm actually very easy to understand.

I had blonde hair and gray eyes. Blonde hair that my mom would say if I took care of it would be beautiful. So... my mom was very BIG liar, but whatever. I am blonde, but I had no interest in being a blonde. My hair falls down my shoulders and even passes my elbows, but it never lays flat on my back. I always pull it up into a high pony tail so that it won't get in my way. I am tall and limber, but I'm not the kind of girl that will ever jump around in a skimpy cheer leading outfit with a giant fake smile plastered to my face perfectly make-up covered face. I know,

“Not everyone's like that Heart! You have to be a good person even if you dislike someone!” words straight from my mother's mouth, but that's not how I see it. I disliked a lot of people, and it was obvious that they were afraid of me, so why can't I just ignore their existence. I was not the only one who felt that way.

I had two friends. The first was Echo. She was soft spoken and easy to get along with, me and her both had a love for motorcycles. She had short black hair that grew crazy fast, and light blue eyes that were usually stained with innocence. The only thing wrong with her was that she had a case of MPD (multiple personality disorder). It wasn't even that bad, it was just if you make her mad she turned into her alter ego Blare. Blare was loud and when she came out most of the time we had to literally hold her back. She looked the same on the outside, but her eyes were usually stained with pure rage (and humor), and she also liked to pull her hair back into a high pony tail. I asked her once why she wore it up. She said it made it easier to see the scared looks on her victims' faces, and then she was gone replaced with my little pet like friend.

My other friend was Ginger, but she hated that name so we called her Frost. She was tall and most of the time she just nodded or shook her head to answer a question, which made her auburn hair sway around her perfectly shaped head. Plastered to that head was a mean poker face. No matter how hard I tried I could never tell what she was thinking by her face, but her crystal line blue eyes spoke plenty of words. We could still get each other, so it was all good. Frost sometimes tried to tell jokes, but they would fall flat, because the loss of an expression. I tried to laugh at them sometimes, but it was just too painful.

All of us came together as the best of friends, because we were all the outcasts. None of us liked attention drawn to us. All of us took karate (I'm a black belt!), and rode our motorcycles, those were two of the likenesses that made us friends. Also it helped that we all lived in the same apartment complex in the upstream New York City. I loved NYC, most people did, and if you don't then you haven't lived there. (Or you've lived there too long!)

There was a bad thing though that started the whole mess. I had to move from the big city, and go all the way across the country, to live a happy life in California. I was going to live with my dad who was divorcing my mom, after finding out she had a guy on the side.

The nerve of that person! She looked my dad in the eye and said that she would always love him, but the spark was gone. THE SPARK was gone, like I said my mom is a BIG LIAR! The truth was that she was pregnant and it was the other guy's baby. I've seen the guy, and I know why my mom went after him and it had nothing to do with spark. The guy was ripped to say the least. He could have my mom, I never really got along with her anyway. My mom, is a Blonde in spite of having red hair. My mom and I used to but heads all the time, because she had always wanted a girly girl. That's what she thought she was going to get when she had me.

Besides I've always been a daddies girl, I love my dad. No matter how much I get in trouble with my mom, my dad has always been there. No matter how much I try to act like I don't care about anything. I could never act like that around my dad. Dad is also really intent of spoiling me with everything he can. He offered to buy my first motorcycle, but I decided it would be better if I bought it myself. Dad is someone any woman would want, he is a top selling author. He's like a millionnaire. I'm also glad that in the divorce he got to keep all of his money.

When I told my friends they were depressed, but after a while they thought of a plan. They knew I wouldn't miss our school (always filled with pep!) and they decide to take revenge on it. Just for me! (My friends are so sweet!) So the next day we raised some cane in most of the classrooms. I will admit to tipping over about sixteen desks, and pouring water on my least favorite teacher. She ran away rather quickly from me after that. Teaches her for trying to spoil my last day of fun! I was really glad to finally live up to everyone's fears of the bad kids. Almost everyone just stood at the back of the class with saucer like eyes and watched in horror. The only one to step forward was a cheer leader(Of course). She walked right up to Echo, who was luckily still Echo.

She was causing less trouble than Frost and me, but she still helped by scribbling on the blackboard. The cheer leader yelled for Echo to turn around, which she did. The stupid cheer leader should have stopped talking there, but NO had to keep running her mouth. She yelled,

“You're crazy! What do you think your doing?! This is a school! Not a place where you and your twisted friends can take your anger, and use it to rip apart the school just for kicks!” Pain stained Echo's eyes for a split second before it was washed away by anger. Blare came out and looked the girl in the face with a look that could have stopped time.

“Oh, look you made Echo upset. You really shouldn't do that.” Even at that time I could see the evil in Blare. It took both Frost and me to hold her back, but she still got close enough to literally pull out half of other girls pretty blonde hair. (There was still skin attached!)

Obviously, the girls and I got suspended for a week. I know what you're thinking, why didn't we get longer, weren't we always causing trouble. No, me and my friends weren't bad kids, just quiet with bad tempers. If you got to know us you would find out that we were all pretty mellow.

Echo liked to ride her bike outside of city limits just to get away from the sound of the city. Once she went all the way to Canada without realizing she had crossed the boarder.

Frost liked to write little stories, about love and loss. She would never admit it to herself but they were really good stories. Me, I like to go to this little bar where they don't check your age. I had just sit there and listen to the live music, but I would never drink. I will admit that I had at times been hit on by guys that should most likely be in jail, but I think it's hilarious when they try and flirt. They don't know how bad they are at it.

We don't demolish cars (okay just once and it was an accident, and that guy didn't even press charges!). We don't punch teachers (Even if there are rumors about Blare punching Mrs. Alvarez). We all love the our principal Mr. Collin, and are his three favorite students.

A lot of the students at our crummy high school didn't like him, but I don't know why. Me and my friends, we liked him so much we stopped calling him the principal, and started calling him the 'Prince' of high school. So when we walked into his office (Castle) he smiled at us, and said,

“Girls, did you make a mess of the school today?” amusement obvious in his voice and stained brightly in his eyes.

Me and the girls sat down in the three neon green chairs, and fall into an unbreakable silence. Echo back now was silently looking at the carpeting like it was the most important object in the world. Frost on the other hand was staring out the window as the sun shines brightly. (It's almost summer) I take the lead as usual and tell him about how I'm moving, and why we HAD to destroy the school. The 'Prince' was so cool. He said that he understood, but the three of us would have to clean up the mess we made. Also all of us would get suspended. Not that any of our parents minded much, seeing that it was the end of the school year. My dad shrugged it off, and even said I should have pulled the fire alarm before going on a rampage. He was right.

My mom on the other hand was very, for lack of a better word 'upset', about the whole destroyed-the-school-thing, and got mad at my dad for not taking the 'situation' seriously. She then tried to bark me out (literally my mom sounds like a dog) for what I had done. I gave her a very disgraceful finger (you know which one), and told her, she lost the right to being my mother when she cheated on Dad. I walked away from my 'mother' that day and those were the last words I ever said to her, and I don't regret them.

On the day I was meant to leave, I got to see my friends. Echo was on the verge of tears, and for once I could see the mixed emotions stain Frost's eyes. I gave them both a hug, simple and sweet. The two of them had been my friend forever, and now we were splitting up. Even I'm allowed to get a little emotional. I made one promise to them when I let go of them to get in the cab with my dad. Both of them told me to be different. To be an insider not an outsider. I promised I would try then with one last wave I climbed into the backseat of the cab with my dad. I looked back at them as they stared after the car. I took a breath in and turned to my dad.

My dad stares at the back of the driver's seat. Both of us are completely silent most of the ride. Until my dad says,

“You could have stayed.” I look at him then back out to the street I had been staring at saying,

“Not possible.”
My dad turns to me I can tell by the noise the seat is making.

“You should have stayed, with your mom and your friends. I know you're only coming with me because you don't want me to be lonely. You feel sorry for me.” Now it's my turn to face him with a smile on my face, and I say,

“Are you trying to get rid of me. True, I came because I don't want you to be alone, but I don't feel sorry for you. I feel sorry for Mom. She lost the best guy she ever had.” my dad smiles and hugs me.

“Heart, you really are my girl.” I smile, hug back while saying,

“Why deny what is obviously true.” My dad then starts humming 'My Girl'. I let go of him and say,

“Stop that.” My dad breaks down laughing, causing the cab driver to look at him through his rear view mirror. Confusion staining his eyes like this was the weirdest thing he had seen in New York. He turns his attention back to the road just in time to see the exit for the airport.

You might have noticed by now that I'm pretty good at telling peoples emotions. It's because I can see light and colors coming from peoples eyes. Freaky right? I use it to my advantage when I'm playing poker. Everyone's eyes tell a different story, with a different light.

Getting out of the cab is a big wake up call for me. I realize just how real everything is. I am about to move to California. I am deep in thought, but something is happening to me. It's like a slow welling power within me. I feel a rush like, I want to go all the way across the country. I want to get there and get there quick.

'What's going on with me?' I think right, before I feel my dads hand on my shoulder, asking me if I am okay.

I nod my head and flash him a I-love-you-and-I-really-want-to-go smile, He frowns a bit. My I-love-you-and-I-really-want-to-go, probably looks like my I-can-do-this forced smile. (What can I say I'm not good with smiling.) I go to the back of the cab and pullout my backpack that now doubles as my carry on. Dad had already sent over all of our luggage to the new house, even my motorcycle. I walk through the doors slowly to taking in the last part of New York I get to see.

I see graffiti covering most of the walls. The floor is covered in trash. People rushing to get to their flights. I smell hotdogs, sweat, and cologne from the guy standing just a little to close. I look around at the people who's planes have just arrived from some far off place. Walking around like they own the world. I can't help myself, for feeling a bit nostalgic, so I walk towards my dad, who had been waiting for me to join him next to medal detector. Under my breath I say,

“Goodbye, New York.” While I walk through the metal detector I think

'This is the last time I will ever set foot in this airport unless I come back, but... The only element left in this city for me, are memories and friends that might forget me, why would I come back?' With my friends on my mind, I go to through a door that leads to a plane, that leads to a beach, feeling totally fine, which is weird!

It is cold! On the plane, but it's probably just me. You see the only flaw I won't miss about New York is the winters. If it is cold enough to put frost on the ground, I stay home. My mother would make me go, but that didn't mean I actually went. I would go to the mall, or to the movies until the end of school. I had friends who always brought me my homework after school. I missed a lot of classes, but my mom never found out, it was always my dad who would pick up the phone. He new I had a problem with the cold. He never made me go to school if it was. Though once he did take me to the doctor to see if they could find a reason for my frozen feel, during the middle of spring. They couldn't find out what was wrong with me, so my dad just let it be. Have I ever mentioned that I am a daddies girl.

Well back to the airplane. You know my dad is rich, so we got first class seats. I wrap myself in a thick blanket and put my earphones in. The ride goes by well, until I actually hear something over the screaming music in my ears.

It's actual screaming! I think as my hands pull out my earphones. Behind me I hear more bloodcurdling screams. I turn my body in the seat to face a little girl, who is being held down. Two hands are wrapped tightly around her neck! The weird part is that they aren't connected to any thing. I wonder why no one is trying to help her, as I jump out of my seat.

My hands lunge for the offending hands without my mind having to tell them to do so. The little girl sees that I'm trying to help her, and reaches up. She tries pulling the hands from her neck. The lower half of my body is still trapped in my seat, but I can still reach the girl. The hands are causing red marks on her neck. At a paticularly hard squeeze the girl let's out a choked cry. I let go for a heart stopping second to jump out and over my seat.

My knees hit the floor in front of the little girls seat and my hand pull at a strong grip. I realize that I can see through the hands, it's like they aren't there, but I can feel them under my hand like flesh and blood. I pull at them harder. Both me and this girl are pulling as hard as we can, and I feel a small give.

The little girl stops crying, and screaming, and starting to turn a sickly color of purple. I watch terrified as the little girl's hands start to loose their pull. I can hear my dad and the girls mother yelling at me in the background, but my muddled mind can't distinguish words. Adrenaline is pumping in my veins and my ears are pounding with my heart beat.

I can't let this girl die! I think frantically. A bright mass form in the back of my eyes and I can't even see the hands anymore. I claw my hands into the gnarled transparent hands. She will not die here! I think with a red hot light burning at the back of my eyes. I almost scream when with one last pull the hand relinquish their grip on her neck.

The little girl slumps forward choking for air. My hands catch her and I carefully lean her back against the seat. I know that she can breathe again, and now so can I. My hands fall into my lap, because now they feel raw and cold. I look down at them, and I see something under my nails. I pull my hands closer to my face to take a closer look. My stomach heaves when I see gunky flesh melt away like tar from my nails. A black sludge drips onto my fingers and then disappears.

I check my hands to make sure it's all gone before my muscles relax. My muscles bunch up again when the poor little girl wraps her arms around me and starts to cry. I don't know what to do, so I try to do what comes naturally. My ears are still blocking out all of the noises so it's just a faded blur all around me. my hand rests on her head and I let her cry. Anger flares up in y heart for a second when I think about eh hands, but then the little girl clams down. She looks up to me after a few seconds and says,

“T-thank you” in a small weak voice. Now all of the blocked noises get to my ears. The yelling, the crying, and the demands to get back into my seat. I feel two manicured hands grab my arms and pull me away. My eyes look up to see her mom all red in the face as she yells,

“What are you doing to my daughter!”

I see anger and confusion staining her eyes. Anger is already boiling in the pit of my stomach, knowing I can't hold back anymore I stand from in front of the seats. I yell at the top of my lungs,

“I WAS DOING WHAT YOU WEREN'T! Didn't you see those hands they were wrapped around her neck! If I hadn't of helped your daughter would have died! right! next! to! you! Couldn't you hear her crying out for your help! NO! You thought she was throwing a tantrum! You must be blind to not have seen that your daughter was fighting to breath!” with that I have to take in a breath to fill my lungs so I can focus again. I look straight into that woman's eyes as she yells

“What are you talking about!? I didn't see anything!” I can't take it anymore. I feel a little trapped in the area between seats, but my hands grab the little girl's and ask very quietly, and much more gently,

“Will you let me see your neck, please?” she nods I turn her in her seat to face her mother and say, “Now lift your chin, okay.” she nods again and lifts her chin as high as she can, without hurting herself. Right were they should be, the bruises, or rather the bruise. The bruise goes from one side of her neck to the other, it's dark, almost black. I look back to the mother that is now completely speechless. I can see the worry in her eyes as she moves her hand closer to her daughter. The little girl lowers her chin, and looks very scared. Her mom takes her by her shoulders and asks,

“Kimmy, who did this to you?” Kimmy tears up again and whimpers,

“M-mommy it wasn't a who it was an IT. I-it was hands. They wouldn't let g-go. C-couldn't y-you see them?” with each word more and more tears form in the mother's eyes. She shakes her head and says,

“No. Kimmy, I didn't see them. It's a good thing this nice young lady could see them. Right.” Kimmy nods her head and finally lets the rest of the tears fall from her eyes, that she had been no doubt holding back, trying to be a big girl.

I turn my head around to find all of first class staring at me. I carefully walk around the mother and daughter back to my seat, but the eyes of those strangers still trained on me. I sit down hoping to find a little privacy in my seat with Dad. Wrong, I sit down and my dad is up at my neck asking questions. I decide to answer a few of them.

Answering his questions, I watch as my dad fight falling asleep. I ask the stewardess for a blanket.

“Dad you can go to sleep now.” I say with a small smirk on my face as one of his eye lids droops.

“NO! I want to know.” A sigh falls from my lips and I pat him on the shoulder. My dad is so much like a child sometimes it's scary.

“I'll tell you tomorrow.” The stewardess comes back with a blanket and hands it to me in a wary kind of way. I drape the blanket on my dad, and I know that he's asleep.

A few hours pass, and I still can't find sleep. I sit in my seat as one of the few that are still awake, and listen to my music. The entire time I barely hear the music. The only piece of what happened I can think about are those hands. Those gnarled hands that were as white as death. I also think about Kimmy. The poor little girl that will always remember the feeling of those hand on her neck. Her eyes will always show a hint of pain and fear when she thinks about them. With thoughts like that rapidly going through my head I fall into a strange restless sleep, that comes with a strange dream.

worked on it

2

All around me is water.

'What is this?' I think. Light strikes through the water and causing an eruption of color. My eyes dart to every corner I can see. The colors just don't seem to end. Every color comes with a new emotion swimming in me.

Red is boiling rage. Dark blue gives me a knowing feeling. Yellow comes with confidence. Sky blue is trustworthy. Purple brings a dark heart ache. Green is a stomach churning jealousy. Lime green is pure overpowering joy. Orange is an annoyed tiredness. Ocean Green makes me feel, a very short, very beautiful, sense of complete wholeness.

'Why? Why can I feel these emotions? Why the water?' I see something come forward, it's a person! 'Who's there!?' The colors seem to dim, and shrink away from the figure coming closer. Then there is a dark shadow streaking through the water. The complete darkness is devoid of any color and a coldness goes down my spin. The shadow wraps around the figure and slinks up to it like a pet cat. Everywhere the shadow turns the water becomes a black misty murk, with it comes a searing pain that shoots into my every nerve. It's like all of my emotions are being pulled out of me. I feel helpless and I hate the feeling, but the hate is drowned out by the pain. I try to scream, but a pair of hands are around my throat and they squeeze.

Then I can see a bright white light coming from somewhere, the pain, darkness, and the hands disappear. The white is strange, I can hear shouts coming from all around me. Like someone calling me, asking for instructions, for help, and then the sound changes it's like the voices are cheering me on. Pride fills my heart for some reason. Those are the last things I can see, hear, and feel before I a hand shaking me brings me back to consciousness.

“Heart, wake up. Wake up kiddo.” says my dad as my eyes snap open feeling a warmth around my body.

“Good morning, Dad.” I say sleepily as I stretch my arms over my head, stretching out the memory of the strange dream. I pull the blanket tighter. I sit up straighter in my seat. I can tell my dad has just woken up, because all of his hair is sticking up in every direction. My dad has curly blonde hair so when it sticks up all of the curls puff out. I smile and check my own hair. Just like normal, my hair's all fluffed out and falling out of the ponytail, that is failing to keep the hair out of my face. I pull the rubber band out the rest of the way and watch as all of my hair falls around my shoulders. Some of it tickling my arms as it almost falls to my lap. I hate my hair.

Both me and my dad wait for the plane to land, but we're doing different things. My dad is trying to get his hair under control and under a hat, while I sit in my seat laughing at him. He finally gives up with an exasperated sigh and puts the hat down. I grab the hat out of his lap. I pull most of my hair up into the hat, leaving only a few extremely spiraled pieces to lay on my neck.

“It works for me!” He scoots farther down into his seat like a three year old who just got told they couldn't have ice cream. I faintly hear him mumble something that sounds like

“Stupid hat”

I then feel a hand on my shoulder. I turn in my seat to face the mom of the little girl. Fighting the urge to turn around and try to disappear I ask,

“Yes?” knowing that I was about to either be grilled for answers, or thanked a lot.

“Hello, I just wanted to say thank you for what you did yesterday, whatever it was.” I smile a sweet smile I can tell that she wanted to say more, it was plain on her eyes. I hold the smile on my face, but I can feel it deflating.

“I didn't do anything special, I saw a little girl fighting to breath. I just jumped in and did what anyone would do.” the woman shakes her head,

“That's just it I couldn't see a thing. You believe me don't you? I really couldn't anything!” I nod my head.

“I know it's not your fault.” She purses her lips then gets a determined tint to her eyes.

“What was it that caused that. The bruise on my baby's neck?” she almost whispers. I think back to the hands that had felt so real, but looked so transparent.

“Hands. A pair of pale gnarled hands.” She nods her head with a disbelieving look to her eyes, like she wasn't expecting me to answer so clearly. The truth is that the thought of those hands turns my blood to ice.

“Thank you, again my baby girl is all that I have left.” I smile what I hope is a reassuring smile.

“I didn't do anything worthy of your thanks.”

I should be proud, but I just can't. I know that even if I have saved Kimmy, she will still be scarred for life. I feel sorry for her and her mom, both of them never saw that coming. I didn't even see that coming. I just knew that I had to save her, but that doesn't stop her mom from thanking me over and over again. About one o’clock I notice that even the staff on the plane were treating me differently than everyone else. I am getting tired of the special treatment, it's a good thing that it's about time for the plane to land.

I get off of the plane, and find out why they call California the sunshine state. It's so bright. Walking through the airport is a weird experience, everything is different from New York. The walls are white not a trace of graffiti anywhere. The only thing that adds color to the place is the clothes. So many colors, all of them mixing together. (I never new there were so many shades of yellow!) The one thing that is the same as New York is the massive number of people all running to get to their flight. Some people are walking in slow motion, I am too. I have to take it all in, It's hard to see everything at once. it's almost suffocating. Almost.

When we get to the car my thoughts just stop, then take a detour to fairyland. Standing in front of me is a limo! I watch as my dad smiles and says,

“Did I go over board?” I pull myself out of my own thoughts and say,

“Only if you were trying for modest, if you were you failed miserably. Why did you get a limo!” my dad does the coolest thing he shrugs and says,

“I felt like it.” I smile, give him a hug, and climb in the car (LIMO) for a better look. I see all of the space and my eyes bug out of my head. It is huge!

I turn around and hear,

“You're Josh Foreman! I love your books! Are you moving to California? Can I please have your autograph!” those words come out so fast and so loud that everyone in the entire state can hear it, most of them do. In a flash there is a mob of people attaching my dad. All of them begging for an autograph. I jump out of the car just in time to grab my dads disappearing hand. With all of my strength I haul him back to my side. The crowd lunges for him again, and this time taking me with them. I take in a lung full of air and yell as loud as I can,

“BACK OF YOU LEECHES!”

That got most of them to calm down, but there is one girl trying to sneak up behind me. I see her way before she can make a move. I just stand there waiting for what I knew would happen. I'm right, as usual. She grabs my shoulder. I grip her hand, twist it to an impossible angle and throw her over my shoulder. She doesn't even have time to blink. (I am a black belt after all.) That's when all of the guards show up. What they see is about to get me in a lot of trouble. Them standing there, and me throwing a seemingly innocent girl, right at them!

'They'll never get out of the way. I hope I didn't throw her too hard, maybe she'll miss.' I think, but my aim is just to good. Those guards went in every direction. I have to stop myself from laughing. They look just like pins being knocked down with a small bowling ball. I can hear my dad stifling a laugh too. One of the guards that has landed the closest hears us, and glares daggers. It is no wonder that my dad and I have to be held until they get the full story about what had happened.

The guard nods to me as I finish telling him what happened. Then he smiles,
“You threw that girl right into a crowd of security guards, hard enough to send most of them flying. You've got one good arm.” I shake my head.

“I took karate in New York. My teacher is really good at what he does.” he looks at me, and for the first time in my life I can't read someones thoughts through their eyes, even though his eyes do shine.

“He taught you too well, California better watch its back.” I look at him, and smile. A strange silence fills the air, and for once I really, REALLY, want to fill the gap.

“So you work here?” The guard shakes his head.

“Only for today. I'm covering for a friend.” I nod my head,

“That's nice of you.” He looks down at his lap,

“I don't live far, and he couldn't make it to work today. Asked me to fill in so here I am.” then back at me, “Well we should be able to get you and your dad to your car, without to much of a hassle.” I breath out a sigh,

“Good now can I go?” Without waiting for an answer I walk to the door.

I look back at the young guard, before I get all the way to the door. I realize how easy it was to talk to him. I didn't get nervous once, and I look back at him. His brown hair, that stands out against his white eyes, is short and curly. His eyes shine with a light. He is still looking at me, kind of staring. I realize that I'm also staring at him, because I just realized how nice he looks. He isn't just nice looking he's HOT, and is not my type of guy. Not that I have a type per say. I know what you're thinking,

“if you say you don't have a type that means that you're lying!”, but I'm being totally serious when I say I don't have a type of guy I prefer compared to another.

“What do you usually do? I never asked.” I say glancing down at the floor. I know that it's not my place to ask, but call me curious.

“I help here and there.” I bring my eyes up quickly to look at him again, but my eyes meet his and it's like lighting strikes the room.

It's a tense feeling, but it isn't uncomfortable, it's familiar. I have to shut my eyes slightly against the shine that flares bright white from his eyes. I see his face twist into surprise then he blinks in away that I can only call knowing. To describe it is to say, he's looking at me like he's met me before.

“Have we ever met before?” I ask confused.

“Not that I know of, but my name's Jake Chambers. Now we've met.” I smile, and say,

“I'm Heart Foreman.” He laughs

“I know.”

It opens, the door I mean. There's my dad putting a pen back into his pocket. I look back at him. He smiles and says,

“They wanted an autograph.” I roll my eyes at the irony and say,

“who doesn't?” the moment with Jake now over. I watch as two guards and Jake, follow my dad and me out into the airport again. Now the crowd is bigger. (My dad is really famous!) Almost all of them have a piece of paper or pen in their hands.

The guards keep them back pretty well. Then I feel a hand grab my wrist. I feel as light as air as I get lifted backwards into the crowd. My hand is pulled up into the middle of my shoulder blades, I let out a cry of pain as it's held there. Jake is the first to turn around. He and the other guards make their way over to me and the deranged person behind me, but they didn't need to. I am already pulling myself out of the hold, by flipping. Yeah, I'm that cool. I grab the guy by the back of his neck and push his head down while bringing my left knee up into his stomach. I let go and he falls to his knees holding his stomach. I turn to the guards with a look of mock innocence.

“Did I go to far?” I ask the guards as they stand there with their mouths hanging open. Someone rushes forward to help the guy off of the ground. The next thing I know more people come and surround me. Most likely the guys friends. There are a lot of them enough to hold back Dad and all of the guards in their own little fights to help me. I stand up tall hopefully looking confident. I count the people around me and I end up with a count of four.

“Four grown men against one girl? Now that's not fair.” I can feel my stomach flip as they start to approach. I look into their eyes and I only see a dark black void. Not a one of their eyes are shining with any emotion. I feel the one behind me try to grab my arm like his friend had. I move out of the way quickly.

“I'm in California for ten minutes and I already have to hurt someone.” I turn and I punch him in the nose and as he falls back I trip him easily. Two of the others rush forward and one of them grabs a hand full of my hair. I scream as he pulls, but then the pain is gone. I turn and find Jake holding him by the scruff of his neck. I flick the other guy off then I stand with my back to Jake's. Without thinking me and him work together to thin out the crowd. I watch in horror as more people's eyes drain of emotion and light.

'What's going on with these people? It's like their being controlled.' My moves mirror Jake's so well it's like we have been fighting together forever. “So...Do this often?” I say in between hitting someone in the throat, and sending a flying kick.

“Nope, but I practice.” I flip someone towards my dad who helps the guy over to the baggage line.

“For what?” I duck as he slugs someone over my right shoulder. Jake doesn't answer, then everything stops.

Finally the last of them are dragged away.

“That's the first time a fight has ever broken out that big.” I turn towards the voice.

“I can imagine that, sorry for causing trouble.” My dad walks towards the manager who is white in the face.

“We're really sorry for the disturbance, Mr. Foremen.” My dad shakes his head.

“Don't worry about it, we should leave.” I start to walk again, and most of the crowd backs away.

'Fast learners aren't they.' I think with a smirk on my face as I walk the rest of the way back to the car (LIMO) with my dad and the three guards following behind. The entire time I feel an intense stare fall on me, and this one time I don't care about being the center of attention. I had earned it.

The car (LIMO) is quiet for most of the ride home. My dad sitting on one side and me on the other. I was staring out the window and he was reading a book. I could hear each turn of the pages as he read. I turned my focus back on to the trees on both sides of the car.

'Why had everyone started to attack me?' I think as we drive down our insanely long driveway. It was long and there were trees on both sides of us. Something about those dead eyes reminded me of the hands. I shake the thought away and I focus on the driving scenery.

My dad writes mainly fiction books, about fantasy. He bought the house because of the book he wants to write is to be set off of the background. Something about a secret kingdom, but I never really listen to my dad talk about his books. Now I can see how he would choose such a nice place, it is magical. The trees made shadows that covered the ground in a pattern that isn't even there. I love it! And I find myself wanting the car to go faster. It's like I can feel something pulling me towards it. I am on the edge of my seat, staring out the window like my life depends on it. I am so deep in thought, all my nerves are going off. I jump three feet and hit my head on the roof, as my dad lays his hand on my knee. I look at him and he is smirking. He says,

“Nervous?” amusement making his eyes light up like the head lights of a car.

“No, just waiting for more people to attack!” I say sarcastically. He nudges my elbow with his. We both start elbowing each other, neither one of use wanting to lose this small war.

My dad after a few minutes holds up both of his hands in the universal sign of defeat, and says,

“I let you win!”

“You just got tired of losing!” I triumphantly cheer.

“No, I really let you win!” my dad whines.

“Yeah, and I'm a tanned surfer from Hawaii.” I laugh then I start to think. “Dad, what do you think happened at the airport?” My dad looks at me and says,

“I don't know? It was so strange, some of them just wouldn't stay down. I hope we can put that behind us.” I smile and turn back to the window.

“Me too, Dad.”

I can see the house.

'It looks like an old lighthouse, just without the spinning light on the top.' I think to myself. I can see the the tall tower and the house at the bottom in lack of better words big. At the least three stories tall, and it looks like it has about fifty windows.

'I'm going to be living in that!' I think, as my eyes bug out of my head. I can't take my eyes away from it, until my eyes find something better to look at.

The miles and miles of open ocean. It glistens with a light that is pure and simple, but it has an enriching effect on me. A silver dagger pierces my heart, I can feel it slowly pulling me closer to some truth that I don't know. I can hear a faint whisper ringing in my ear, so silent that I can't make out what it's trying to say. I focus on that whisper, that faint sound. It's a voice, though it sounds like silk. I hear it faintly and slowly getting closer. Each second that passes feels like an hour.

'What are you saying?' I think.

It stops, the sound, the silence that has slow wrapped its hand around me. I am thrust back into the sound of the car engine, the slight bouncing of the car as it went, and back into feeling of my dads hand on my knee. I jump slightly, and snap my head up, not remembering letting it fall, making him pull his hand away. I stare at my dad, and I can see the confusion lighting his eyes. I give him a weak smile and hope that he cannot see that I am totally on edge. He looks at me for a second longer. Most likely figuring out for himself, if there is something wrong with me, not finding anything he turns his attention back to the now thinning trees around us.

The car (LIMO) stops in front of the house, and lets me and my dad out. I can now see just how big this house is. I can see that's a little worn down, but it still looks incredible. I turn around and stare with my mouth dropping all the way to New York when I see just how close the water really is to the house. I can take off in a run and be in the water in a matter of seconds, and I got the feeling that if I could I would. In my mind, I am ready for a full out run. I know somewhere deep inside of myself that this is what was pulling me on.

I hear my dad chuckle behind me, and he says,

“I told you we lived on the beach.” I laugh,

“You didn't say, we live in the water.” My dad I can tell is shaking his head in a mocking way. I walk up and hug him.

“You should know that this isn't going to be a private beach, you're going to have to share.” I turn my head up and say,

“As long as they're nice, I won't cause any trouble. Deal.”

“Deal.”

working on it.

3

“Dad, where's my motorcycle?” I ask pulling away from the hug. He Turns and points to the back of the house. I start running to the garage I know is there. I run quickly, because it's been about a week since I've been on my motorcycle, and I miss that feeling. The feeling that comes from being able to go anywhere. It just makes me feel so free. “I'll be back in a while!” I shout over my shoulder.

I kick on the back of my heals and do a 180, to see my dad waving over his shoulder as he walks to the house. I know that means 'go for it.'

I rush to my motorcycle, and I can still make out every dent, and scratch that comes with it. I bought it myself so I'm extremely proud of my bike. It had taken a lot of hours working for this bike. I look her over, and I smile.

“Welcome to California.” I say to the machine. I never gave it a name like most people. Don't get me wrong, when I was in New York I tried, but no name had stuck. Now I smile down at her, and pull the helmet over my head. I leave my hair down, because I know from experience that it won't fit in the helmet.

Pulling out of the garage I look out at the water still rolling just in walking distance. My mind stops working for a moment as I become hypnotized by the calm rhythm. It takes me a minute to come back to my senses, and I can hear voices coming off the water. All of them singing in perfect harmony. I quickly drive away, as I start to want to dive in head first.

'What's wrong with me?' I think for maybe the millionth time since moving to California.

Five minutes go by as I watch the moon start to rise, and the sun set. I can feel my heart beat a little faster, when the stars start to show through, and it get's dark. One of the cool things about New York, is that it never seems to sleep. SO...It never really get's dark. No, I'm not afraid of the dark. Though, I can't say that I didn't start driving a little faster to get closer to the lights of town. The dark doesn't scare me. It's what my mind thinks it sees in the dark. When I was younger I would see dark figures standing over my bed in the dark. They would whisper things in my ear like

'You will never succeed' and 'We will kill you.' Things like that tend to scare little kids, I've been told. Those things are one of the main reasons I'm not exactly normal. I dismiss the memory as I enter town.

It feels good to be on my bike again after a week. I watch as little houses with white fences pass me.

'So this is home town America?' My dad and I moved from the big city to California. I thought we would be moving to another city. I kissed my dreams goodbye, when we got into town and my dad chimed,

“Welcome home!” I had to stop myself from face-palming at the big cheesy grin on his face. When riding into town the first time I looked out the window and saw a line of old buildings and small shops. The one thing that had caught my eye was a coffee shop on the corner.

That's why I decided to come back into town, to see if that place was any good. I never told anyone back in New York, but I have an addiction to coffee and sweets. I just love the feeling of hot coffee on a cold day, and the smell of warm chocolate. I also love the mixture of bitter black coffee and something so sweet that your sweet tooth actually breaks. When you have those two things on a cold day all is right with the world. (I know it's girly to like cookies and milk, but I can't be tough all of the time.) I had one place where I would buy all of my coffee and my sweets.

I found it when I had just started high school, I had jumped the fence after I saw some clouds coming in. I had a feeling that it was going to get cold real quick, so I ditched. I was walking around trying to find a place to escape the cold that was slowly settling in over the city. I felt like someone was watching me so I started to walk a little faster. When you live in the city you don't take any chances. I finally stopped when I felt like if I walked another step I would freeze and shatter. I looked around and saw a giant pink and brown sign that spelled out 'Cathy's'. Someone walked out and as the door closed I got the scent of a mouth watering chocolate. (It actually made my mouth water!) Slowly I made my way over to the doors. At the time I could see that there were only a few people inside all of them were either drinking coffee, or eating some really good looking cake. My stomach growled just then so I decided I would buy myself something to warm up with. I walked in and that's when I got addicted to coffee and sweets.

Over time I became friends with the manger. We would make jokes about how she should change the name of the place for 'Cathy's' to 'Heart's'. She would also tell me about her no good cheating boyfriends, and how they thought they were all gangsters. I would tell her that she needed to stop picking up guys from bars and actually look for a descent guy, but then again what did I know.

When I told her that I was leaving she made me all of my favorites and we had our own little party, in our favorite corner booth. She also told me that she was going to look for a great guy, get married to him, and then move 'Cathy's' to California. I told her I would have to wait for a long time for a good cup of coffee unless I found a place. We hugged, we pouted, we promised a lot to each other. I can say that my heart still aches from having to leave her in the city. She was the older sister that I never had, but always wanted. She was also my coffee buddy, if that makes any sense. I miss her and the girls.

Now I am standing in front of an old red brick building hoping that the coffee at least tastes okay. All of the windows are covered with see through orange hippie flowers. The door is stained brown, but it had obviously been white before. I stand outside praying to god that the coffee won't taste like crap. I walk in and I'm hit by the mixing smells of vanilla and chocolate. I look at all of the small tables with tall chairs, but there are booths, too. I walk to the long counter at the back of the room. I look over the menu and see that they have all of my favorites and some that just sound crazy. Names like PineBlue and SweetNightmare are written on the menu. I look around the room to see that it is mostly empty all except for two women in one of the corners. I look behind the counter, but no ones there. I ring the little bell that's sitting right in front of me.

The next thing I know there is a very odd girl standing in front of me. Her white hair is pulled into two pigtails on each side of her head. Her eyes are the same as her hair, white.

'How many people have white eyes!' I think stubbornly. She smiles a real sweet forced smile and says as if she's said it a million times,

“Yes it's natural, and yes everything on our menu is edible.” Her eye's shine with annoyance. her voice sounds kind of familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.

I fight back my harshness that always rears it's ugly head, when I talk to anyone I don't know. I say,

“That's cool. So can I ask what is the SweetNightmare?” Her eyes shine with surprise,

“Your really going to order something with the name of a SweetNightmare! So you might not be a Dead Walker!” I tilt my head to the side,

“A Dead what?” Her smile get's bigger and her eyes flare.

“A Dead Walker, there are a lot of them at my school. You know the girls that think their hair is life, airheads!” my heart lifts a bit, this girl knows what she's talking about!

“Yeah I know, they think the world revolves around them and that they can say whatever they want. All because their so perfect!” The girl pumps both of her fists into the air,

“Finally someone who speaks my language! I'm not alone!” I nod my head and despite my wariness I yell with her. Once we both calm down I ask again about the SweetNightmare.

“Oh, it's a dark chocolate cake topped with a secret sauce, it makes the chocolate taste different with every bite. It's my favorite!” I nod my head and tell her to give me two.

“Your going to eat two?!” I shake my head and say,

“No, I want you to come and eat a piece with me. If you want to?” Her face breaks into a big smile again and her eyes are so bright it's almost blinding. I cover my eyes against the bright shining eyes. She looks confused, then for some reason she looks three times more excited.

“As long as I can buy the coffee!” I nod my head, and point to the booth and the other side of the coffee shop away from the two old ladies. She gives me the 'OK' sign and goes through a door labeled 'employees only'.

10 minutes later both of us are sitting and talking like old friends.

“My fake name's, Stellona Rueme. You can call me Stellona, Stella, Astell, or Rueme.” I smile and say,

“My name's Heart, Heart....Foreman.” I hesitate when saying the last part. Her eyes shoot open once again shining.

“Your name is Heart? Totally cool!” Now it's my turn to be surprised.

“That's what excites you?! Do you read?” she looks confused for a split second until she smiles really really big, I think her face is close to breaking. Her eyes almost blind me with how brightly they shine, I squint my eyes.

“Are you related to Josh F..mhn!” I cover her mouth with both of my hands, but both of us still get a crazy look from the two old ladies on the other side of the coffee shop.

“I'm going to let go if you promise never to scream like that ever again.” she nods her head against my hands. I slowly move my hands. She lowers her head to where I can't see it. I hear a quickly getting louder chant of 'OMG' coming from behind a set of white bangs. She looks up with a totally serious face.

“Are you serious!? If your kidding me I might have to kill you!” I nod my head totally believing the deadly color staining her eyes.

“He's my dad.” She jumps up so fast I'm afraid that the booth seats, nailed to the floor, might come unhinged.

“I can't believe it! I just can't believe it! I feel so sorry for you and your dad!” I shake my head

“Why?” She frowns

“Because of your mom, I just hate her!” I just sit, a sour look crossing my face that would have had everyone at my old school backing away in fear,

“You're not the only one.” I can still see the anger flaring through her eyes.
She finally sits down with her moment of overpowering passionate still rampaging in my ears. I can see that she really can hate someone that she's never met.

“You can meet him if you want.” her stare of pure hatred ends, and is transformed into a look of total loyalty,

“Really!” I nod my head. “Sweet!” I remember the coffee and cake sitting in between us. I pick up my fork take a big piece into my mouth and shout

“Sour!” and drink my coffee down with the surprising flavor that comes from the chocolate cake. Both of us start laughing. I tell her where to go and when to be there. It's completely set I just made my first friend. Surprisingly enough.

I leave the shop that turns out to be named 'Weird Delights',

My kind of place. I think as I climb on my motorcycle and start to drive home. I get a little distracted on the way and decide to keep on driving down the road a little longer. I drive past little town houses, but they start to get farther apart. Also they get a little bigger. The moon rises higher into the sky so I decide to turn around. I pull into someone's drive that curves like a 'C' back to the road. I look at the house, and out of all of the houses I had passed it is the biggest and the closest to the road. It isn't as big as my new house, but it's still big. I look it up and down for no real reason, but as I look past one of the windows I see the curtains sweep closed. Someone had been watching me. I feel an unsettling aura fill the air and watch the same window closely for a moment trapped in time. Looking back to the the driveway in a daze, but it shakes off when I look ahead and I completely turn around.

Pulling up in front of my house I'm welcomed by the smell of my dads famous chilli. My mom had hated it so we only got to eat it when she was gone. I kind of drift to the front door, trying to forget about the magnetic force that water holds on me. I open it, and step over the thresh hold. Though I do stop dead in my tracks. My foot had reached the smooth wood of the hallway, and the next thing that came with it is the feeling of a hand wrapped firmly around mine. I look down at my hand, and right where I thought it would be is a hand, but not like the one on the plane. The feeling of this hand is warm, gentle, and even a little loving.

The hand starts to pull me down the hall towards a medal spiral staircase. I let the hand lead me up the stairs, because I can't stop it. The strength the single hand can pull an elephant to it's knees. I follow as I'm led up two flights of stairs. The house is huge, but right now my head is too focused on the hand dragging me to celebrate my small realization.

The hand leads me farther into the house, but it suddenly stops. That hand had stopped in front of the door at the very end of the hallway. I look down at the hand as it fades.

'weird' I think then turn to the door and reach for the handle. 'What could go wrong? It led me here, might as well find out why.' When my hand touches the nob images start to flash before my eyes. I can barely make out one image, before it's replaced by another. “What's going on!?” I half shout. “Stop!” I say firmly as if I could control it. Apparently I could because as the command left my mouth the images stop.

I look at the door and see something that had not been there before. A small figurine hanging on the door, a mermaid. The mermaid itself is beautiful with it's small frame, and it's long hair. It's not like other mermaids with long tails. She is dressed in a wave like dress. The only thing that makes her look like a mermaid are the weird fin like ears you see in all of the books about sirens. Which is what you could call the small figurine, a siren. I look at it scared because of it's face is identical to mine.

My eyes widen in surprise as the mermaid starts to move. I mean really she starts moving. I mean is it just me, or isn't that supposed to freak people out?

'Once again the cycle will begin.' comes a small bell like voice, but it comes from inside my head. I step away shocked, as my hands fly up to cover my ear. Yeah, I'm absolutely sure right now, that anyone would be scared out of their minds. Not me I'm taking this all in strides.

“What cycle!” I say in surprise. Okay so maybe not completely in strides, but calmer than most people. The mermaid holds out her arms and I watch as a single tear falls from her eye. I follow it until it hits the ground, but as soon as it makes contact with the floor I am surrounded by water. Just like in my dream the water is changing colors, but unlike in my dream a mirror image of myself is standing in front of me. Though this one is slightly different, she is wearing a long flowing sea green dress that matches her eyes. Yeah her eyes are a bright sea green, and her dress is actually moving in a never ending flow.

Her hands reach out to me. Almost as if she's been waiting for me, and finally I've come. She smiles a sad relieved smile, and I have to blink a few times

'Find the one to be, as I have already done. Be the difference.' once again the voice fills my head.

'What difference!' I think back. Since talking out loud would be weird.

'You will be the difference, as is told. You alone can bring peace to those who drown.' I stare at her.

'Told by who! Who drowns!' She smiles sadly at me.

'You must find the one to be. Touch the water that shines the deepest and you will know.' she gestures with her hand to the flowing water around us.

'Choose? How do I choose?' Her eyes and her dress shine with a vibrancy unmatched. Then she splits into nine, everyone of them having different color eyes and dresses.

'We have been and we will go on. Now you must end the cycle.' nine voices echo through my head. I nod my head calmly, as if everything had clicked into place. I know somewhere in my soul that this is what I'm supposed to do. Slowly I turn to the wall,

'How do I choose?' I ask again.

'You must feel it through your life gone by, and your life soon to pass.' I look to the wall as colors change and mix. I close my eyes and do as the nine behind me tell me to do. I think of my life and the time passed and the time to come, and strangely the first color to come to mind is white. White, the color of Jake's and Stellona's eyes. Somehow it seemed right, just like when I talked with both of them. White the color that pulls away from the dark and is filled with many colors. I open my eyes to a wall of color. Words fill my mouth as I say old words that I have never heard before, and behind those words are the voices of the nine standing behind me. The words fall from my mouth with ease.

“I have become the cycle! To me the colors will remain! I will the color to me! I am the sign, I am the sword! With a word of steal I will lead the people of drowned age to light! I am the final cycle! I have chosen WHITE the color of all colors! To my people life will be brought in LIGHT! The war is now the beginning!” as the words spill from my lips in a commanding voice, hands are pressed to my back. Finally I stand before nothing but clear white.

“WE ARE WITH YOU!” the nine say finally, then they push me into the blinding light.

working on it.

4

I'm standing in the same hallway. In front of the same door, but everything is different. The walls around me seems brighter, younger almost.

“What just happened?” I whisper to the empty hallway. I look up at the door and find that the figurine is gone. In it's place is a coral hook, and hanging from that hook is a small chain. Dangling from that silver chain is a pure white stone. I grab the stone encircled in intricate designed silver, and pull the chain from the hook. I look into the stone. Inside the glistening white stone swirls joyous colors. Each of them mixing into the next.

“Heart! Dinners ready!” I slip the stone into my pocket when I hear my dad call me from two stories down.

'How did he know that I was home?' I think as I rush down the two flights of stairs. “Dad? How did you know I was home!” I shout as I climb down the last flight of stairs.

“I could hear your motorcycle!” he shouts back as I enter the fully equipped kitchen.

“Is it that loud?” I ask as I sit down at the little island that my dad has dinner set up on.

“Yes it is. Now, what were you doing upstairs?” he sits in the chair opposite me.

“Nothing just looking around.” I lie, as I start eating my bowl of chilli, though I can't stop the shiver that runs down my spine at the thought of what had really happened. I silently press my fingers against the small bulge in my jeans pocket. The only proof that what had happened had been real.

“Did you find your room?” he asks innocently, but not innocently enough. He pulls me back to the present for a moment as I become suspicious.

“Why?” I venture. My dad shakes his head slowly.

“I was just wondering.” I look at him with a critical eye,

“Dad? What are you hiding?” My dad starts to twiddle with his fingers like a five year old,

“Nothing, it's a surprise.” I roll my eyes teasingly, but I decide to drop the topic, and my dad and me finish our meal in complete silence.

“Heart! Hurry UP!” My dad practically dances up the stairs.

“You are so childish!” I yell as I rush up the stairs a little faster trying to keep up with my dad, who I got all of my strength from. Back in New York me and him would jog in the summer.

“I am not! Who's the parent here!” he yells down to me.

“Who's the mature one here!” I shoot back as I reach the top few steps of the stairs.

“I am of course!” he smiles down at me from his superior height at the top of the stairs.

“I don't believe you!” I sing as I pass him. Now we're both at the top of the stairs and neither one of us is tired from the run up.

“I am!” he snorts indignantly. He then leads me down the last hallway.

'Not here! Not here! Please let it not be...' My thoughts are stopped at the same time my dad stops in front of the last door of the hallway. The same door that, an hour ago, I had stood in front of and experienced some life changing weirdness. I'm still not sure what had happened exactly.

“Heart, this is your room.” I watch as my dad reaches for the handle, and half expect him to go through the same thing I did. No, he just opens the door and walks in.

“Dad?” I say as I stand in the doorway of the room, unsure if I should walk in or not.

“What? Do you like it! I picked it out for you! It has the best view in the whole house!” He eyes are gleaming brightly and his mouth is set into a childish smile.

“Yeah, Dad I like it.” I say as I finally walk into the room. “Thanks.” I say as I give him a hug. I look around the room. The room itself is very big and there's only one window. The window has a built in chest underneath it to make it look like a seat. I take a full turn around the room and see all of my stuff in the corner of the room. The only things that are set up is my big furniture, including my bed. “I love it Dad. Thanks.” I turn to my dad.

“You don't have to thank me. Yet.” I raise one of my eye brows.

“Look in there.” he says, and points to a door that I had thought was a closet. I stand and open to find a set of stairs leading up.

“This house goes farther up!” I hear my dad break out laughing at my response. I turn to see his eyes shining bright with mirth and him motioning me to go up the stairs. Slowly at first, I climb the first few steps. I look up into the darkness ahead of me and see that there are only about six or seven steps to the top. I feel my dad come up behind me. I climb the rest of the stairs quickly. When I get to the top I grab the handle to the trap door just above my head. Pushing it open I am blinded by the setting suns blaring light coming through some window somewhere in the room. When my eyes stop spinning I almost scream at the sight before me.

A brand new motorcycle! I scamper up to it, not unlike a little kid would down the stairs on Christmas morning. It is better than Christmas! My dad on the first day in the new house buys me a new motorcycle and hides it in highest room of the house.

“Cool! It's great Dad!” I shout when I get to the side of the motorcycle. The motorcycle itself is a dark blue with airbrushed lighter blues on the body making it look like part of a wave. I grip the handle bars to get a feel of the new bike. “How did you get it up here?” I ask without looking at him,

“I have my ways.” I turn to him and he smiles at me. Then he points to the far side of the strangely huge attic, and what I see surprises me. There sitting is an old style elevator. I screw my face up and I face him.

“You made us run up the stairs, because?” His eyes flash brightly and his face shifts into a lopsided smile. I smile at him, and love the way his eyes shine happily. “I love you dad. Thank you.” I say and hug him.

“Love you too Heart, and you're welcome.” With that my dad starts to help me get my new bike into the elevator. Once it's inside Dad says he'll take it down while I go back down to bed.

Looking around the room again I feels my spirit lift. The room really is beautiful. My room is kind of split one third of the way, because part of the floor is lifted one step up from the rest. My bed is pushed up against the wall that is lifted up. Where the floor goes down that is were the one window is. Looking around I can see three other doors than the one I just walked out of. I stick my head into the two rooms I haven't seen. I decide that my dad has really given me the best room for me.

Walking up to the many boxes I pull out the one labeled 'Heart's Clothes'. I pull out something to sleep, and I make my way over to the bathroom. Turning off the light to the room as I go, but I turn on the bathroom light almost immediately to stop the dark from closing in all the way. I stare at the mirror and when I blink the girl starring back at me does the same. I reach into my pocket and I pull out the small delicate white stone still trapped in it's silver cage. I look at the chain closely, trying to find out how to unclasp it. 'Where is the clasp?' I think as I study the delicate, but strong chain. I hold it close to my neck to see what it would look like around my neck. Suddenly the chain in my hand feels soft and moveable. My eyes widen as I watch the chain grow longer. Carefully I slip the now longer chain around my neck. I almost freak out when the chain starts to shrink again. I calm down when the chain suddenly stops moving. I stare at the stone that is resting perfectly on my neck. It is neither tight enough to be uncomfortable, nor loose enough to remove.

I leave the bathroom after changing into my pajamas. Though when changing I never once looked away from the white stone hanging innocently around my neck. I leave the light on and the door cracked a small bit. Looking around the plain walls I decide that tomorrow I'll unpack the rest of my things to make the room a bit more cozy.

I slink back over to my boxes, and I have to practically rip two of my thick blankets from a box. It takes a little less effort to pull my pillow out of the now almost empty box. Sluggishly I walk over to my bed that is bare, but put together. Curling up into a ball feeling the warmth of the blanket form a cocoon around me, I can feel my eyelids begin to droop. I start to fall asleep, then suddenly I hear a soft voice. The voice sounds like a gentle wave wiping away the sand.

'Come home' It whispers in my head, as I lean up on my elbows. The room becomes slightly less dark and I look around for the source of light, but I'm shocked out of my mind when I look down and I find the light coming from the necklace. I stand from my bed, but I don't move from there.

'Come home.' I take a step towards the door trying to follow the voice that sounds so sweet. Something grabs my hand, before I can take another step. I look down. I see the same hand that had lead me to this room the first time.

'Do not go!' A completely different voice says this time. The hand holding mine tightens. I turn away from the hand and I once again try to head from the door, as if my body's on autopilot. I pull at the hand, but it doesn't give.

'Come home. Come home. Come home.' The smooth voice starts to change, but I still try to follow. I can feel the hand loosing it's grip as the voice's grip tightens around my mind leaving it in a fog.

'What's going on? Why can't I stop?' I helplessly try in the fog to stop my body from moving any closer to the door that I know is standing only a few feet away. 'Come on, Heart think!' I yell at myself in the fog. I force my hand to move up around my neck reaching for something. My eyes won't move from where they seem to be suck to the door handle. The once sweet, calming, voice changes completely, into a scratched snarl of a voice.

'COME NOW!' The voice yells. I pull back on myself with all the power I have, trying to find traction. My feet can't reach anything and they are just kick out below me. Looking forward I can see a dark shadow coming towards me. I start to thrash, my hair flying all around me slowly as if trapped in water. I scream when a pair of hands gnarled grayish green hands reach out of the fog, but it sounds different. Their obvious destination my neck.

I reach up again with my hand, and I feel something warm brush the tip of my finger. Instantly I latch my hand around the warmth quickly and easily, as if by touching it's warmth I can move again. Though it still feels like I'm floating, but now it's a regular thing like I've been here ever since I was born.

'NO!' I scream at the shadow, even as the fog begins to fade. I can still feel the hand holding mine. I calm down and the grip relaxes as the hand begins to disappear. “Wait! Don't leave!” I grip at the air for the hand, but I come up with nothing. “I have some questions...” The hand fully disappears. “... for you?” My hand falls to my side. I groan in frustration. “What is going ON!”

I look down at the white jewel still held in my other hand searching for answers there in its endless colors. I can feel the power still radiating from the white stone. I watch as the colors start to get stronger, but the light starts to fade, and with it the wonderful warmth that it held.

“Fine you can die out too, I guess.” I look around my room for proof that what had just happened hadn't just been completely in my head. 'I'm going CRAZY! I was even talking to myself!' I walk over to my window that looks out over the ocean waving at me, calling me in .

Climbing on the the seat just below it I unlock the latch. I push the windows out so I can look out at the clear water. A small breeze filters into my room carrying with it the salt small of the open sea. I lean into the smell.

I shake my head to clear it a second longer. I can feel frustration bubbling in my stomach.

“I know it has something to do with you!” I half shout out my window while pointing an accusing finger at the lazily lapping water. I sit back on the seat. I turn my body until my feet are propped up on the other side of the seat, and my back is to the other wall. 'Now I'm yelling at water. This should be good!' I think sarcastically. I look up and out the window, hoping I can forget myself in thought just looking up into the dark night. But that doesn't happen, my eyes become attached to one thing, and all of my thoughts leave my mind.

Floating innocently above my head, are about a million beautiful stars. Smack in the middle of every twinkling star is a gorgeous full moon. I can't look away from it's smiling face. I can't stop the small grin from forming on my face in response.

'I love California.' The thought is created, before I can even try to stop it. I don't even now if I want to stop that thought. I mean don't get me wrong I miss New York with a passion, but I would never get this view in New York.

I stick my hand out to the moon as if I can touch it. I watch for a moment longer, before I pull my hand back to my lap. I smile at the silly thought, and how childish it is. My hand goes up to fiddle with the necklace. I pull my legs to my chest and wrap my arms around them to hold them in place. I silently look for constellations, as my eyes start to become weary. I stand from my place by the window, and I make my way over to my bed. I reach the bed on tired feet, as if I had run a hundred miles.

I stumble onto the bed with only sleep on the mind. I start to drift to sleep, and all I can think about is the sight of the stars smiling at me. I pull my blanket over tired body. Slowly conscience starts to leave me, but before I completely fall asleep I feel the same comforting hand run through my hair.

The small bell like voice from before, the one that had tried to pull me back, starts to sing me a lullaby with eight other voices completely in harmony. I feel warms spread through my entire body. Looking up weakly I see the same nine mermaids all of them have their beautiful eyes focusing on me.

Each pair of eyes are filled with hope. Hope for what I don't know. I smile dreamily up at them. I can feel each of their emotions coming from their eyes. I can feel their hope, their pain, and their love. They all look into my eyes, and like when I had touched the nob for the first time, I saw a blur of images and faces. I bring my hand to my neck, and I wrap my fingers weakly around the white stone that is now glowing. I can feel their beautiful souls and personalities mix with mine, but not really. It's like I'm just touching them, viewing them. I can tell each of their voices apart as I listen to their song. My eyes finally drift shut.

The ocean will rock you to sleep tonight,
you are the last to stand.
Swim in your light.
You will save the drowning land.
You will succeed where we have not.
With you the cycle can stop.
War will rack your heart with grief,
but you will stand complete.
Shine with light to the people.
Their hope will be in you.
The ocean bends to your will.
You have chosen.
One color.
One light.
One power.
White.
Now see with your eyes.

Working on it.

5

I wake up, and everything seems different. I can feel the warmth coming in from the still open window. I sit up in my bed, and quietly stare at the room. Carefully I stand from my bed and I walkover to my boxes. The boxes are opened one by one with my clumsy hands. My mind is somewhere else. I can still hear the ringing voices, and I don't even remember falling asleep last night! I finger the small stone around my neck silently for a second before I go back to unpacking. It takes a total amount of about fifteen minutes to get all of my jeans, shorts, and pajamas into the drawers of my tall dresser. It takes a about half that time to put all of my shoes and shirts into my oversized closet. Finally I start to hang all of my posters onto the bare walls.

Now, I have a lot of posters, you would be surprised by how many. During class at my old school I would listen to my music. The teachers would through fits all the time. That is until they got my tests back. You see I'm really a closet nerd. I keep my grades up by actually studying! My friends and me had the highest grades in the school. So yeah I had the right to listen to my music in class.

Since my dad is kind of insanely rich, he likes to take me to concerts. Almost like clockwork every time he finishes a book he'll take me out to do something fun. He used to ask mom to join us, but she always said she had something better to do. (I guess we know what now.) So I have a lot of posters of a lot of bands that we would go to see.

It takes a long time to get that finished, and when I step back to look at the whole room I can still tell that there is a lot of work that I'm going to have to do to make this room feel like home. I look back to the boxes. They're almost completely empty a few of them hold my bathroom things. The last object in one of the boxes shocks me.

When did my mom get a hold of my boxes? Frowning I grab a jewelry box sitting innocently at the bottom of the now empty box. I grab it and put on my dresser. I told her I didn't want it. I glance around my room, a flourish of pride courses through my veins.
Finally I look at my wall clock. It read 9:45, so I carefully pick up the last full box and walk into my new bathroom. I set the box on the floor before I look into the mirror. Then I let out the mother of all screams.

WHITE! I jump towards the mirror. I stare at the reflection and I blink a few times. Now I know this sounds crazy, but when I fell asleep last night I had gray eyes that had always looked really dark. Looking into the mirror now bright white eyes look back at me.

WTH! I think as I blink a few more times. I look around making sure that they are my eyes. I study the ey...er... my eyes closely and I can see that my pupils are still black, but they seem to fade into the white. I can say that the white is a shocking color, but only at first glance.

I run my brush through my tangled hair for a second, not taking my eyes away from my face. Making sure that the entire time is spent with nothing else changing on my face. I walk back out to my room, and I let out a huff of frustration. Since coming to California I've,

1. Saved a little girl from creepy hands.
2. Beat the crap out of a mob of people.
3. Had an invisible hand drag me to my new room.
4. Had some really weird hallucinations.
5. Had one really really whacked up dream.

Now, my eyes have changed color. I know I'm losing my mind, but I never thought that losing my mind would be this bizarre.

I mean you hear about people losing their minds all the time, but it always seems like a lot of fun. Now that I'm losing it, I'm not sure about the fun factor being so high. I go to my top drawer and I pull out the swimsuit that I had bought back in New York. Why not go swimming before I completely loose touch with reality.

It's a really simple design that covers plenty of skin, which works for me. It's technically a one piece, but really it's a bikini with a strip of material in the middle. The pattern is light blue flowers that trail all over the fabric. I also grab a pair of shorts and one of my many black tank tops. I go back into my bathroom. I change into the swim wear and I pull my hair up into a ponytail. I look back into the mirror hopefully.

Nope they're still white, dang it! I slip into the leftover clothing. I grab my lug around bag and I stuff a towel into it. Then I grab my phone and it joins my towel. You would think that the next thing to go into the bag would be sunscreen, but you are mistaken. I never use sunscreen, because I never burn. In all of my life I have never had a sunburn, but I can really tan.

I pull on my bag and walk out of my now slightly decorated room. I decide to take the elevator instead of having to walk down endless stairs. Stepping in I can finally look around the iron grid elevator. I can see all of the intricate details. Also I can see were the wall would have been. It looks like the elevator was added after the house was built. I roughly pull the lever so it's pointing to a large curvy 1.

The cage lurches suddenly and it almost floors me, but I regain my balance as the ride evens out. I watch as each layer of the house passes me. I can see the age in each hall that I pass. I can also see the beauty that used to, and still decorates the house. I can only see glimpses as the elevator passes, but each sight I see speaks of a wonderful past.

Finally I reach the last floor, and all I see is a living room that could put a home style magazine to shame. The door opens and I walk into the new living room. I almost sit down on the oversized couch, but then my stomach grows. I shake my head at the sound.

The house is not only tall but also very twisty. I have to search for a good ten minutes before I find the kitchen. I look around the, no doubt, five star kitchen. I walk up to the fridge and stuck to the metallic surface is a sticky note. It says,

Heart, eat up kiddo. I'll be in my office.
On the back of this note is a map.
Try not to get lost.
XOXOXO

I grumble at the note.

“You shouldn't have bought such a big house. Then I wouldn't get lost!” I open then fridge, and luckily it's fully stocked. I pull out a few bananas. I turn to look at all of the cabinets with a pitiful look on my face, but then I notice another sticky note.

P.S.
The peanut butter's in the top left cabinet.
The breads on the shelf to your left.
Love Ya.

I dump the bananas onto the island, and I search the cabinets for what I was searching for.

THANK YOU DAD! I shout in my head as I pull down the peanut butter and the bread. I know a lot of people that think it's gross, but I could eat it everyday. No I'm not obsessed with Elvis, but me and him, we have good taste in sandwiches,

I put everything into my bread and I devour the sandwich in three bites. I almost choke on the last bite, and I struggle to the fridge. I pull out the full gallon of milk and I down a large chug of milk. Over exaggerating a little I take in a long noisy breath.

“I almost died!” I say to the myself. Then I hear a sound right next to my ear. It sounds like a giggle. I turn quickly, but nothings there. I start to walk to the door.

I'm losing my mind, so I don't have to worry about the little whispering voices! I think a little to enthusiastically. I get the door and I can already hear the loud crowd. I open the door, and I'm instantly met with a shock.

Almost everyone outside my door is my age. It looks like high school threw up at my front door. I walk out and I swear I can feel twenty sets of eyes zoom in on me. I square my shoulders and I walk out like I own this beach, and for about three new books I probably could.

My dad is really really, okay I can't stress this enough, he's REALLY popular.

I smile like a blonde for a second, and I can tell that half of the crowd is trying to figure me out. I look around hoping to see white hair. Stella had said she would come by around 10:30. I glance around, and then I start to walk over to the soft sand. My feet don't burn at the first touch, but they feel warmer than normal. I guess that means that the sand is just scorching hot. I instantly feel that magnetic pull of the ocean. I almost start to run towards it, but suddenly someone steps in front of me.

“Hi.” I focus in on the face of a pure, honest to god, blonde. “I'm Katelyn Brooks.” I try to smile that fake blonde smile again, but it doesn't happen.

“Hi.” I say with very little enthusiasm. “Heart Foreman.” I can see the recognition in her eyes, and I can almost read her mind. Her gaze is screaming,

“RICH” Katelyn holds out her hand, but I don't even try to touch it. I can already feel the smug coming off of Katy here. I see three girls standing behind her, and when Katelyn notices my attention waver she lowers her arm.

“Hey Heart, that's a cool name, and I just love your eyes. Are those contacts?” I shrug, I can tell that she's desperately trying to hold my attention. She waves behind her at the small entourage. “These are my gal pals. Nicky, Tamra, Kim, and Jessica.” I almost say hi, but then I see a white head of hair bobbing in the corner of my eye. I turn and there's Stella. She sees me too, and then she sees the group in front of me. The color of her eyes is one I've always labeled, as distrust mixed with a hit of unadulterated hatred.

“Heart!” I wave, and she starts to walk towards me, though I would have just walked over to her.

“Oh! Ashley, hi! Heart, you know Ash?” I can tell that Stella just wants to hit the blonde in the face, and I would let her, but she holds her self back.

“The name's Stellona, just so you can remember, and yes she does know me.” I choke down a chuckle at that. The look on Stella's face is that of a chihuahua about to take down a Great Dane.

“Now Ashley don't be harsh. I'm just trying to make friends.” I can see the lie in her eyes, and the mocking light. I take look at both of them, and then I step in feeling all of my annoyance rise dangerously. I make sure to use my best blonde voice.

“Hi, uh Katelyn is it? Her name is Stellona, and if you call her anything else I'm sure she would love to rearrange your pretty little face. Personally I would let her, because frankly I already don't like you. SO, go ahead and leave.” I look at the girls behind her. “And, I'm sure you guys are great people, but the thing is I'm not too good at being 'friendly'.” I hear Stella start to laugh. Then Katelyn's face twists from shock into a look that reminds me of someone eating a whole lemon. She turns on her heels and walks away with her little posse following.

“Dude! That was beautiful!” I turn smirking. I can see the total excitement shining brightly in her eyes.

“Let me guess, queen of the Dead Walkers?” I jack my thumb over my shoulder in the direction that Katelyn had strutted away in.

“Yep, and you just walked up and down her ego. I would love to see that again. You only read about that kind of talk.” I smile at her and then I watch her eyes stretch three times bigger. “I have to call someone real quick can you excuse me.”

I watch in confusion as she walks to the side a bit. She reaches into her bag, and then pulls out a.... Shell? That's what it looks like from where I'm standing. I watch her talk frantically for a second before she shoves it back into her purse.

“What was that?” I say when she comes back. In her eyes I can tell that she want's to tell me the truth, but she says,

“My phone.” and I know it's a lie. From the look on her face she knows I know. I shrug it off, and I turn.

The beach in front of me is crawling with teens. I frown at the sheer multitude of people. Then I look out past the people at the water. I can feel the pull again, and I start to walk towards it.

Wow. It's so beautiful.

“Heart, what are you doing?” I feel a hand on my shoulder. I turn, but instead of the confused light I thought I would see in her eyes, I see an understanding glow.

“I was about to go swimming.” I watch her eyes so I can try to find out why she stopped me.

“Why don't we wait a second? I have to watch for my brother, so could we just stay on dry land for a moment?” I glance hopefully back at the water, before I grudgingly nod my head.

“Okay.” I try to play off a subject to take my mind off the water. “I didn't know you have a brother?” Stella nods her head obviously relieved for some reason.

“Yeah, he's really annoying. Sometimes he's so strict.” She shakes her head causing her white braids to sail around her. “And he's a real stickler for family traditions.” I think about it for a moment.

“Is he really that bad?” I try to think about the most stuck up person I know to envision her feelings. When look into her eyes I can see a joking glint to the color.

“Way worse! He's..” A horn honks from somewhere up in the dunes. “He's here.” I look over her shoulders and I take in a sharp breath.

Wait what? I stop thinking for a second because, walking towards me and Stella is Jake. Yes you heard right the Jake Chambers is now walking across the sand with the sun shining off of his brown wavy hair. Looking at him you would think that he walked out of a magazine. He's wearing a loose white tee shirt and a pair of swim trunks. I look again and for a second I can almost swear that it looks like he's wearing armor. I shake my head and the picture dissolves.

“Jake?” I say in a voice that betrays my surprise. I can see the surprised look on Stella's face, but it doesn't match the look in her eyes.

“You know my brother?” Before I can answer Jake is standing in front of both of us. His face is neutral, and I still can't read his eyes. Then a small smile cracks on his face.

“Small world. Who would have thought that you would be my little sisters new friend.” I nod my head and then I cross my arms over my chest.

“Really small. I thought it was just a coincident that she had white eyes too.” Then I remember my own eye change, and I mentally face palm.

How do you forget something like that? I then somehow end up meeting his eyes again, and this time the feeling is stronger. You know that familiar feeling, and now it's accompanied with the surging need to be in the water. I shake my head to lose eye contact. I force my eyes to look everywhere else, but his eyes.

“What?” I say a little harshly, because now I feel really awkward about him staring at me. He shakes it off quickly and he stands up taller.

“Nothing.” I put my hands on my waist, and I look at Stella. She has been standing there for about three minutes without saying a word, and now I can see her gaze drift to her brother. I look between the both of them.

Stella has a questioning look on her face and in her eyes, and I watch Jake closely.

There! It was just barely a twitch, but I had seen it. Jake had nodded his head. I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been looking. Suddenly Stella turns to me and smiles. Her eyes are blazing with excitement.

“Okay? What's going on?” I say, both my voice and my face is frowning. I layer my voice with suspicion.

“Nothing.” I raise one of my eyebrows in a way that I learned from my mom. The look spelled out 'Are you serious?' Stella starts to walk towards the water. I follow trying to ignore the growing happiness that comes from inside of me.

“Don't nothing me! What was that? Some kind of brother/sister thing?” Stella looks back at me, but still keeps walking.

“Sure you could call it that.” I hear a familiar voice come from behind me, and I almost jump out of my skin. Jake has been right behind us the entire time. I walk a little faster to stay ahead of him and behind his sister.

“Then that's all you had to say!” I ground out between my teeth. Stella reaches a clear patch on the beach, and once again I can feel a lot of eyes on me. Slowly Stella takes off her sun dress that she was wearing. I follow her lead and start to strip off my tank top and shorts. I start to rush a little when I look at the perfect waves calling me in.

“I told you it was nothing. Jake you know you can leave right?” I finally slide my shorts and my tank top into my bag. I look up to see Stella staring at her brother. Stella turns to me when I stand up. “Ready to go swimming?”

“Yeah.” I hear Jake say, and I turn to see him pulling off his shirt. I know I'm supposed to be non girlish, but the sight of him with a shirt on almost makes me drool.

“I told you, you can leave.” I look at Stella and her face is fierce.

“I'm already here. I might as well stay.” Jake drops his shirt with his sisters things and he starts to walk towards the water with a shrug of his shoulders. My gaze follows him like a stalker, which I'm not to proud of, but the guy is seriously sexy.

“Sorry about my brother.” I pull my gaze away from sexy to look at Stella. “He's a stubborn mule.” I smile at the sibling rivalry emanating of her. I shake my head, and look back at him.

“It's okay.” I follow him with Stella at my side. Obviously he's going to reach the water first. I watch as his feet touch the water and I glance up. Stella practically skips to the water. I get closer and the smell of the saltwater hits my nose. I breathe in deeply, and I can feel the sand beneath my feet just out of reach from the water.

“Heart come on!” I open my eyes which had shut on their own accord. I smile and take a step towards the coming wave.

working on it.

6

Wow I finally step into the water, and it feels like home. I mean like the feeling you get when you walk into the house and you smell homemade chocolate chip cookies. It's completely familiar. Full warmth wraps around me, and it's a first for me.

I mean my entire life I've always felt the warmth around me to be only sub par. This is a totally new experience for me. I'm warm.

It feels like the water is hugging me. I walk out into the water further, and the feeling just spreads further. The feeling is what you would expect from hugging your mom, that safe, secure, loved feeling. Not that I've ever had that feeling from my mom, so this is a very welcome feeling.

I finally have the water at my waist, and with every wave it comes to at least my shoulder. I jump slightly with the wave hoping not to get bowled over with the surge of energy. Surprisingly I go flying up with the wave, and it feels amazing.

I feel like I'm pulling in every ounce of energy from the sea. I feel it coursing through me, and the feeling is rejuvenating. It's like I was born to feel this warmth, to feel this power. It's like my purpose is to sit on the waves and to feel their power.
The wave begins to fall and I lean down so I come down with it. My feet don't touch the ground though. My body becomes like an arrow almost out of instinct.

The momentum sends me gliding under the next wave. I swim for a second, and it's surprisingly easy to swim against the ocean waves. I think about the wonderful pull and flow of the ocean. I can feel it's power.

I open my eyes, and surprisingly I don't feel the sting of the salt water. Looking around everything is bright and beautiful. I can see the colors of each ray of light that penetrates the water. Looking at the ground everything is surprisingly clear.

Shells and small fish are being pushed and pulled around, while I stay completely still only slightly floating. I can see every shell in the backs of the rolling sea snails. I can make out the sand color of a few sand dollars, that are slowly making their way towards the beach. I see the brightly shining fish as they either go with or fight the waves. I smile at the vibrancy of each and every color, but salt water doesn't flood into my mouth.

Finally I have to come up for air. I lean up against a wave. I come flying up with the it. Again I feel the endless power of the ocean, but then I look down.

Holy Crap! I look around and I realize that I'm maybe ten feet in the air and sitting on a wave. I look around to see if anyone is seeing this. I'm coasting, and sitting on the curling white top of this wave. It's totally mind blowing, and maybe the most exhilarating ever. It's almost addictive.

I ride the wave until my feet can touch the ground. Then I hear someone yelling my name. I turn and easily running through the water is Stella coming right at me.

“That was so cool! You were literally standing on the wave!” I smile awkwardly before high-fiving her.

“I don't know what happened? I was coming out of the water under the wave, and the next thing I know I'm ten feet off the ground.”

“Twelve.” I turn at the new voice and standing in the way of a wave is Jake.

“Hey, look...” Before I can tell him to look out for the wave he walks through it. He walked through a wave that was probably a foot taller than he is.

“What?” I say kind of dumbfounded.

There's no way that was possible!

“The wave it was at least...” He doesn't get to finish the sentence before water fills my ears and my sight. While I was distracted a wave had eased up to me. Now I'm standing in the wave expecting to be rolled over, but I never feel the push. I can feel the energy of the wave, and the power that it should have, but not the pushing sensation you would expect.

The warmth of the wave is gone as fast as it came, and I notice that I'm still in the same place. I look around to make sure that Stella and Jake are still in the same place. They are.

“Okay? That's strange?” I turn to Stella and give her a confused look. I watch the wave as it continues on it's way to the beach. The wave turns massive and bowls over a string of people standing in it's way.

Stella follows my gaze, but turns back to me confusion in her eyes.

“What?” I gesture out to the other people.

“Why is it that the waves are just going over us, but are completely bowling over those people over there?” I feel another wave pass this time at my shoulders. I hope for a pull, but it doesn't come.

I gesture to myself and at the wave that had just passed. “That wave just went to my shoulders, but I'm still right here.”

“Maybe the waves are weaker out here?” I can tell that she's grasping for an answer, but it doesn't satisfy my curiosity. I shake my head, and another wave comes up over my head. By now it's getting pretty ridiculous. I mean these waves should be knocking me over, but I'm still standing.

“But, I don't feel any pull.” I think about before when I had dived into the wave. “I haven't felt any pressure on me at all.”

“Maybe the waters different here?” I start to walk around to show her how easy it is for me to get around. I point at the water.

“I shouldn't be able to move this easily. Even if the water is different.” I can see the nervous light in her eyes, and she looks at her brother. I can tell that she knows something, and apparently, so does Jake.

Both of them look at me, and I still can read Jake's eyes, but his expression is soft, and a little worried.

“Should we tell her?” It's barely a whisper, but I hear it.

I'm really getting tired of all the nonsense by now, so I cross my arms and put on my firmest face.

“What's going on?” I look between both of their faces searching for answers. Once again Jake gives that small almost unnoticeable nod. I watch as Stella's face becomes the most serious I've ever seen it, and it looks like she aged dramatically.

“You really want to know?” Her eyes show an understanding that can only come with experience and pain. Slowly I nod my head yes, not even caring about the waves passing around my shoulders at this point.

“You're a mermaid. That's why the waves go around you.” In my head I can hear little bells ring, and their saying

'She's crazy run!'

“Your body gives of a kind of energy that parts the surging energy of the waves.” I blink twice.

Okay I've never heard that excuse before. Does she really expect me to believe that? I watch for her face to turn for serious to a joke, but her eyes and expression stay the same. And to tell you the truth it's kind of starting to freak me out. I don't like being freaked out.

“Okay....Maybe I should just walk away?” I start to turn, but a hand grabs my shoulder. I recognize a feeling of deja vu, I know the feeling. That home, safe, beautiful feeling. That feeling and the still circling feeling of the water makes me almost turn to jello.

Jake. I turn around to see his calm and trustworthy face. Can I really trust him? I think before he says,

“She's telling the truth. Both of us give off the same energy. Our bodies are built differently so we can dive down to unbelievable depths without being crushed.” I look into both of their faces hoping for a joke. I only see truth in Stella's eyes, and Jake's facial expression gives barely anything away, but I can see small traces of truth in his features. What would you do in this situation?

“Mind if I test that theory?” Without waiting for an answer, I pull my arm away, and turn my body to face the coming wave. Before I dive under it to test their statements, Jake says,

“Try jumping up into the wave again, the water will follow you.”

Then I dive in. Like they said, looking down at my hands pushing against the wave the water parts around an almost invisible field of energy. I wave my hand around in the water, but there's no pull or tug. Not an ounce of pressure weighing my hand down. I push my hand through the water and it moves crazy fast against a wave, but there's no force on my hand at all.

That's scary. I shake my head in the water, and my hair goes around my head, and floats aimlessly in front of me. Time for the last test. PLEASE LET THEM BE CRAZY! I think as another wave comes, and just like last time I jump up into it. This time I firmly place my feet on the sandy floor. I jump with all the power I can.

I go soaring up fast into the wave and I come out victoriously at the top. I look down as I go up higher. I expect my feet to break the surface, but my feet never leave the water. Actually with every inch that I go up the wave just gets taller. I want to sink through the wave now, but I'm being held up by it's power.

I start to move my feet, but when they move it feels like I have a solid form under my feet not just water. I can feel the water moving around my waist, but it really feels like I'm sitting on a solid chair.

I press my feet firmly onto that solid form touching my feet. Shakily I stand and the entire lower part of my body is submerged in water, but I'm standing. I'm standing on a wave. I point my upper body in the direction the wave is moving, and I feel even more powerful than the first two times. I feel like I'm flying, and this time I know the wave won't let me fall.

The wave holds me up and I feel the power of the oceans around the world fill my body with an indescribable joy. I wish I could stay up on the wave all my life, but then I look down and Stella and Jake are watching me. Both of them have looks of serenity.

That's when I notice how mush they actually look alike. Not only do they have similar eyes, but their noses are similar. I can also see a small similarity in the way their hair curls. They even have the same long eyelashes, though Stella's are white and Jake's are brown.

I let myself fall, and the wave puts me next to Stella and Jake again. When I land I look at the both of them.

“Wow. Okay so that was true.” I say kind of dumbly. I mean how else am I suppose to say it?

“We wouldn't lie to you. Anyways there's more we could show you. That's kind of our job.” I watch at I look at Stella in wonder. Then I think about the second part of her sentence.

Job? Why would it be their job? Maybe Jake can read minds, or he just caught the suspicion look in my eyes, because the next thing he does is shoot a warning glance at his sister.

“Do you want to know more?” I think for a second.

Pro: I can really understand what their talking about.

Con: they could both be really crazy.

Pro: I might be really cool.

Con: I might be part fish.

Pro: Mermaids are real.

Con: The last one sounded really crazy.

Finally I nod my head.

“First let's get out of the water for a second. I need a second to process all of this.” I slowly make my way up to the beach and I scramble to grab all of my gear. I lead both of them up the sand banks until we reach my house.

The entire way I feel eyes on my back. No Doubt the followers of Katelyn the Blond.

I open the door and as I walk over the threshold I feel the hand. I ignore it for a second, and this time it doesn't try to lead me to a crazy other worldly experience.

The hand actually follows me as I show both Jake and Stella to the living room. The hand gives my hand a squeeze that could only be taken as reassuring.

Great now I'm being comforted be an invisible hand. The hand disappears when I sit down. I plop down on the floorboards with my towel still wrapped around my waist. I ignore the water dripping down my back and the warm feeling it leaves behind. I cross my legs and arms.

Slowly the room fills with an uncomfortable silence. My leg starts to twitch, my face setting into a steady glare. Neither one of them moves to try and explain what just happened. Finally I get tired of the silence.

“Well?! Are you going to sit like statues or explain a few things?!” Neither, Jake or Stella look surprised by my yelling, and they don't look moved either. Finally Jake looks me in the eye.

“This really can't be explained simply. There's a long history behind everything.” Jake get's a jab in the ribs by Stella and he passes a small glare her way. “But, I'll try to explain things so that you can understand.” I settle into place for a long story.

“Okay I'm all ears.” I sit without moving. Jake opens his mouth to speak, but then my dad walks in.

“Hi, Heart who are your friends?” Silently I curse my dad for his bad timing. I don't get in another word, before a shrill squeak comes from Stella. I watch in amusement as she all but tackles my dad. Jake lets out a relieved sigh, and I shoot him a look that clearly says, 'You are sooo not off the hook.'

“I cannot believe this!” I look at Stella as she jumps up and down while still hugging my dad. I laugh at the look of annoyance that crosses over Jake's face, and the look of confusion on my dad's face. The light coming from Stella's eyes could blind an elephant.

“Dad, this is Stella and Jake.” I point to each in turn, and watch as my dad attempts to pry Stella off.

“It's nice to meet both of you. I'm Nick Foreman, Heart's father.” Stella squeezes tighter, and I can almost see my dad turn blue. If you can imagine a tall blue smurf with blond curly hair, and a small white haired girl squeezing the life out of said smurf you would have the situation before you that I face now.

“Stella, I think you're killing him.” I can't help, but worry a little for my dad's brain cells. Instantly she releases him, and I chuckle as Dad stumbles forward.

“Sorry! I'm just a fan. Your books are like a trip to another dimension.” My dad smiles and rubs the back of his head modestly.

“Thank you. I'm glad you enjoy them.” My dad turns and looks at both of them fully and A spark of recognition sparks in his eyes when they fall on Jake. “Aren't you the security guard from the airport?” Jake stands and offers his hand to my father.

“I was helping a friend that day. I'm Jake Chambers, Stella's brother.” I stand up and step forward.

“Small world isn't it?” My dad nods and takes Jake's hand. Then he looks at me. His eyebrows rise and I can see surprise in his eyes.

“Yeah it is. Uh...Heart?” I tilt my head to the side and some of my still wet hair lands on my shoulder.

“Yeah Dad?” My dad point to my eyes and I can guess the words about to come out of his mouth.

“Why are your eyes white?” I shrug my shoulders trying to look as nonchalant about the change in color as possible. I fiddle with a bit of my hair before I look at my dad.

“I woke up they were like this.”

Not a lie.

“I don't really know why they changed colors.”

Once again not a lie.

“First they were gray and then they were white. Who knows why the color of eyes change?” I shoot an accusing look at both Jake and Stella.

“Well okay? I guess that works. The color looks good on you.” I wrap my towel tighter around, and I smile at my dad.

“Thanks dad.” My dad wraps one arm around my shoulders and gives me a squeeze.

“Anytime kiddo.” My dad looks down at his watch. Pulling away he smiles at all three of us. “Well I should get back to work. Heart, how does spaghetti sound for dinner?” I nod my head as he starts to walk away.

“Sounds good Dad.” I watch as my dad is hug tackled by Stella again, but she let's go quickly.

“I love your books.” she says as my dad walks away to his office. I chuckle a little, and she turns and looks at me with a dazed look. In an instant my little chuckle transforms into a full blown snort and laugh combination. At first Stella looks a little embarrassed, before she starts laughing with me. I expect Jake to laugh with us, but he just stands there looking at me with a look I can't describe.

Finally both me and Stella calm down. I glance at Jake as he get's more comfortable on the couch. I can feel the water drying on my skin, and I don't like the feeling. I drop my towel into one of my hands.

“I'll let you guys off the hook today because I really want to get back into the water.” I watch as Stella looks hopeful. Jake stands up from the couch and grabs my bag from the ground. They both start walking to the door without checking if I'm following. I step around them. I stand in their way and put both of my hands on my hips. “BUT, you will explain EVERYTHING to me.” My voice leaves no room for compromise. I turn and walk the rest of the way to the door. Out of the corner of my eye I can see both of them slump a little bit knowing that they would have to give in.

'Good.' I open the door and the ocean waves before me. Stepping out the sun lights my skin, and I can feel the pull of the water. The one thing I notice out of place is the dead black eyes of about thirty people. And their all staring at me! 'Today's just full of surprises.'

“Not Good.” Captain obvious behind me says what I'm sure all three of us are thinking.

“What's going on?” I ask when the people start walking closer. Adrenaline starts pumping, and I remember ever move I've ever learned. Stella comes up on my right side and takes a fighting stance.

“We might have to explain that later.” Their is no light in any of their eyes. Just like at the airport.

“Anything you can explain now?” I ask while creating a triangle to protect our backs.

“Well maybe one thing. You can't hurt them to badly. They don't know what they're doing.” I glance at Jake, then at the approaching mob of people.

“Okay anything else?” I can feel all of my muscles tight as a coil.

“Try heading for the water. That might help.” I nod my head in understanding.

“Got it. No permanent damage, and head for the water. I think I can do that.” I flash a smirk. “As long as you have my back.” At the same time they answer.

“Always.” I watch as all hell breaks loose.

working on it.

7

Instantly all three of us are bombarded with lightning quick hits. I guard Stella's weak side while Jake guards mine. We all move in time. Like we were trained to do this. My elbow makes contact with an on coming surfer's gut, and he crumples to his knees. I go for a low blow, an immature blow, an easy blow. I poke him in the eyes. While I'm gouging out this poor guys eyes I feel something swing past my ear.

A girl half the size of me is pelting over sized rocks at my head. She aims one at Jake, and my hands reach for a piece of driftwood. The rock flies straight for Jake's head. The driftwood feels light in my hands. The skin on my hands scratches on the rough splintering wood. It stings but I ignore the feeling, and quickly take a swing at the flying stone. The rock hits my makeshift bat, and it goes flying. The maybe half pound rock 'splunks' into the water.

“Home run!” I yell before my body turns to take aim at another walking zombie with the driftwood firmly in hand. Stella whistles beside me, but I don't get to enjoy it. The burly, sunburned, macho man behind me grabs the driftwood and pulls it tight against my throat. I can feel each and every splinter breaking off into my skin. A started scream tries to rip itself from my throat, but is stopped by the piece of wood. All that comes from my mouth is a startled kind of gurgle, but Jake apparently hears it because he turns quickly.

“Heart!” Jake is instantly by my side ripping the huge weight lifter off my neck. I breathe in sharply to fill my lungs again. I flash him a thumbs up. Blood is starting to come from the small cuts on my neck, but it doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the nerd on steroids comes up behind Jake and kicks his legs out from underneath him. He's about to bash his brains in, when Stella jumps on his back.

“Bad Brian! Bad!” Stella yells at the behemoth.

I reach out a hand, and we synchronize our movements. In one swift go Stella wraps her legs around the guys throat. My arm wraps around her's and uses her entire body like a human rope. In one fluent movement Stella and I fling the big guy away from Jake. Stella releases my arm in time to flip in the air and land on another girl that had been trying to sneak up behind me. Both of us smile. That's when my eyes are drawn to a familiar glow coming from around my neck. The necklace. I had completely forgotten about it, and now it's glowing like a lighthouse beckon on my neck.

We hoist Jake off the ground. He takes a second to look us both over. He notices the jewel too. He sends Stella a pointed look and she smiles at him. Suddenly a hand flies out from behind Stella's head and grabs her by the hair. Stella is dragged back a few feet all the while kicking a screaming. My feet carry me around to one side and Jake takes the other.

The sight reaches my brain, and I recognize the mass of blonde hair behind Stella. It's Katelyn. I see a small gap between Stella and Katelyn and I go for it. My foot darts forward and I catch Katelyn by the back of the knee. She stumbles backwards and looses her grip on Stella. Stella fists her hair in her hand and cradles her head. Jake helps her up quickly. Both Stella and Jake are looking at me, and then their eyes get a little bit harder.

“What?” I say while turning around, then my face twists into a hard expression too. Standing in front of me is another large group of people. Katelyn had obviously gotten over being tripped because now she's standing in front of the large group. Her eyes are completely drained of all life.

Really!?

“I get that one!” I smirk and let Stella step into my place. Stella is rubbing her knuckles and I know she wants revenge.

“Have at her!” I yell while my arms work at flipping a scrawny chess player over my head. I notice now that all of us have moved away from my house and we're now about ten feet from the water. “Jake we're closer to the water what do we do now?!” I yell as I kick some poor guys crotch before I push him away.

“We have to get the leader to show himself!” I snap my head away from a crazy left hook. My fists start flying.

“What leader?!” Jake suddenly grabs both of my arms, and I start spinning. I send my legs kicking out to hit anyone and anything in range. I know I've hit a few people in the nose by the time he puts me back on the ground.

“They always have a leader! I'll explain later. Look out!” Jake pulls me down into a crouch before a flying kick from some pasty Asian dude can nail me in the head.

“I just keep hearing that don't I! Okay how do you know who it is?!” Stella elbows a girl in the throat and she falls to the ground.

“I can tell you it's not any of the Dead Walkers! The main guy's always crazy strong!” I nod my head and send a girl with pigtails flying like in Matilda.

“So basically the Boss Level! I can handle that!” By now the only few standing are some huge muscle heads. “Maybe one of these guys?”

“No this is a pretty big fight, and I think there's a reason for THE big guy to be here.” I turn to look at Stella as she knocks the knees out from one of the biggest dudes and then proceeds to kick him in the head until he stays down.

“What big gu-!” a hand wraps around my ankle and I'm pulled to the ground. A foot comes into contact with my stomach, and I can feel my skin being rubbed raw by the sand. Another foot comes at me, but I roll away just in time. The foot flies past my head. I reach up and grab it as fast as my hands can move. I twist it to the side sending an unlucky guy to his knees. I start to stand up but a foot stomps down on the small of my back holding me to the ground. I let out a cry of pain when I feel the heel of the foot dig into my spine. I claw at the sand and something sharp cuts my hand. I open my eyes to see a sharp piece of glass stick out of the ground. My hand clasps around the small piece. I turn my head and a hand comes down pulling at my hair.

Perfect! I stab the glass into the offending hand so hard that the glass cuts my hand again, but the pain is short lived. The weight comes off my back and I scramble to get up. A hand helps me to my feet and I see Stella with a cut above one eye. Blood is dripping into her eyes.

“You okay?” I nod my head then I tense up when another hand touches my shoulder, but I relax when a calm voice washes over me.

“Good move with the glass.” I turn to look at Jake holding my hand against my body. My muscles relax, but the fights not over yet. Past Jake I can see the crowd coming together again. Stella let's out an annoyed sigh.

“Don't they ever stop!” I grab one very quick guy's hair and punch him in the throat, but I never lose sight of Stella or Jake. Jake turns to me and looks me in the eyes. I smile and ask,

“Now what BIG guy?” I step back as a frantic screamer runs past me. He trips on a piece of seaweed, but I try to ignore him.

“He's the boss level. The number one enemy.” I look at Stella and her eyes burn with anger and hatred. Her words had been joking, but the joke doesn't come through when she looks into my eyes.

“Why would he be here? I look at the crowd getting closer. I fall back and feel my arm touch a warm surface. I look over my shoulder Jake is at my shoulder. A bump comes from my other side. Stella. I hold my hands out in front of me ready to attack.

“Because you're here.” I do a double take, before a foot comes flying to land hard connecting with my shin. I sag for a second, and that's enough time for the guy who hit me to pick me up off the ground. He throws me through the air in the direction of the water.

“Heart!” I'm sailing through the air. On instinct my body moves. I find myself pointed directly at a wave. With little effort I dive in.

The water is all around me and I feel five times more powerful. The glow of the necklace is even stronger in the water. The sore that I thought would become apart of me is gone, so I stand up in the foot of water. I don't know how I missed bashing my head on the sandy floor, but I did. A wave comes up to my waist. I can feel the firm standing like before. My body moves on instinct alone, and I look, up as I jump up into the small wave. My body has enough energy for the small movement to send me soaring up. The small surge follows me into the air and it grows to be a ten foot tall wave.

I hold the footing in the wave for a second looking down my eyes connect with the sight of brother and sister being pushed back to back. The large crowd of people moving in like a pride of lions would move in on their food. It only takes me a second to react.

My aim is always perfect. I land on the beach with the wave following my every move. The water skims around Stella and Jake, but the beach goers aren't so lucky. I watch in guilt as these innocent people are washed away. Then I remember that they had been trying to kill us. The guilt just kind of evaporates out of me was I feel the blood coming from my hand.

Finally the water recedes and I see the full force the wave had had. People lay sprawled out on the sand like seaweed. I step forward to make sure that one of them is still breathing. I stand up and sigh in relief. That's when I hear the sound of a door flying open. The jewel on my neck practically burns now.

I look up at my house, and standing there is my dad. But it's not. The man standing on the top of the hill has a dead look in his eyes, and he's smirking down at the damaged beach. My body lurches forward and I feel a chill enter my heart.

“Dad?” He walks down the beach clapping his hands and smiling, but it's more like a smirk. “What are you doing?” I try to take another step forward, but Jake blocks my way.

“That's not your dad.” My dad steps onto the beach. He's still clapping slowly.

“Well done Heart. You did a great job with my lackeys.” I look into my dad's eyes they're the same honey color, but there's a dead harshness there. I can't say I'm used to seeing Dad's eyed like that. I fight the urge to flinch when he looks at me. Instead I turn my gaze to Jake.

“What are you talking about? Of course that's my dad.” I look at my dad again when he let's out a laugh that borders on maniacal.

“That's where you would be wrong. Pity you seemed like such a smart little girl.” He bows deeply not taking his eyes off Jake or Stella. “I am Izaak Burg, but you can call me. What was it again? Oh! That's right!” I bristle. “Nick Foreman.”

The man before me is NOT my dad. He stands up and on his lips is a mix of a smirk and a sneer. “Or would you prefer Dad?” I push against Jake to get at him.

“What have you done to my dad!?” I yell as I fight to get closer even by an inch. Jake holds me back. Stella comes up behind me and holds my shaking shoulders, and I'm kicking and punching out at anything. “Where is my dad!?” I can hear the venom in my voice. A clap of thunder sounds behind me, but I can't look away from the imposter.

“He's still here, darling. Trust me. He's just in a little bit of a...hibernation.” He smiles at me. Well what should be a smile.

“Give him back!” I yell I know I sound hysterical, but I can't help it. That's my dad! I'm shaking in anger, and fear. “Give him BACK!” I ground it out between my teeth to hide as much fear as possible. The sand under my feet is pushed back so I'm practically standing in a hole. I can feel wind buffering my hair around my head. My face is no doubt painted in pure rage, but I don't care.

“I don't know if I want to? I kind of like this body.” He examines himself. I watch him still pushing forward. My body is straining against Stella's grip, and Jake's wall of a body. Anger is pulsing through every vein in my body, but right underneath is a frozen fear, and it's threatening to freeze my heart.

Izaak is messing around in my dad's body. He's talking with my dad's voice. I can't stand it. Dad's always been the one I look up to. I trust my dad, I need my dad, and I want him back! Even I can see the angered light coming from my eyes. It's like two spot lights on the ground.

“Izaak! You know you can't hurt her here!” Jake yells. I look at his face and it's painted in a true rage that matches my own. Izaak just shake's his head. Slowly Izaak takes a leisurely step forward one that doesn't at all fit the situation. He moves closer in a split second to where he's standing right in front of me. The only things holding me back are Jake and Stella.

“That's where you're wrong Jakeranos. Look at her face. Listen to her voice. This is killing her.” He's right, it's like a stabbing pain. Seeing my dad, and knowing that it's not him. I know I look weak. Apparently this man wants me to be weak. He probably also knows that's he's not just making me weak, but also very very angry!

He reaches a hand forward almost as if to touch me, and I grow and thrash harshly. One of my nails scratches along Jake's cheek and blood starts to flow, but I don't stop.

In the one quick second I make eye contact with IzaaK I see something like interest peek in my da- Izaak's eyes. I snarl at him, but it's cut short.

“You can only make her stronger!” I can still feel Stella's hands on my shoulders, but I had almost forgotten she was there. “Tearium's Heart has finally arrived! You can't win!” I have no idea what she's talking about, but when she says Tearium my heart is pulled, and I start to get control of myself. The wind dies for a second, but the clouds stay over head.

“Oh Stellanara! It's great to see you again. How are your parents? Down in that suffocating little bubble of theirs?” Stella stiffens and I can tell she's fighting with herself. “Speaking of which I should really be getting back! You know, a war to start, people to kill.”

My calm breaks and I turn frantic again at the thought of my dad leaving. If I could push my anger at him I would right now. Water starts to rise up and now it's circling around my ankles. “I just wanted to see my rival. Ta ta.” I watch as my dad disappears before my eyes in a puff of mist.

Waves start to thrash wildly, lightning strikes the ground, and hurricane winds howl all around me. The only light is coming from the blaring white stone on my neck. My body stops fighting, and it's like my heart has just exploded with emotions I've always been able to hold to myself.

“NO! DADDY!” I fall to the ground now covered in water. The water swirls around me like a cocoon. I pound the sand under the water. Anger seeping from every pore of my body. The only thought in my head is.

'He's gone! He took my daddy!' I haven't called my dad daddy since I was six years old, but at the moment I feel as helpless as a six year old anyways.

Someone comes down to my level. I can hear them talking to me, but I can't make out their words. Then someone else holding onto my shoulders and they're shouting, yell, even screaming into my ear. My nails dig into the dirt when I start to recognize the voices. Stella and Jake.

I try to regain control of my body and the energy radiating off my body. Then strong arms wrap around me. I can finally stop the onslaught of emotions and the over laying power with shock. I crumble into the warmth of the arms and the water. The salt water recedes from around my waist. The wind dies down and the waves calm to a normal pace.

Then the rain starts. I scream out to the world I can't stop the shouts that rip themselves from my throat. I start to hit Jake with all of my vanishing strength. Stella keeps her hands on my shoulders, and I can feel them shaking.

“Why did you stop me?!” I try to pull away from him, but his strength is too much. “You let him take my dad! I could have stopped him! Why did you stop me?!” I know it's all lies, but I can't stop myself. Tears are rolling down my face mixing with the rain. The sand is burning against my knees and my feet are bent at an awkward angle, but I can't find the strength to stand.

“You weren't ready.” He's talking down at me. I hate it when people do that. I also hate not knowing what's going on. It's the feeling of being the last to know. I can't stand it, and right now I don't know up from down anymore. I look up at Stella, and she's looking down at me with tear filled eyes. I lean into the touch. Pulling away from Jake I can barely see because of the rain falling into my eyes. I lean my head down, and my bangs fall into my face. Stella helps me to my feet and Jake stands up next to me.

“I want to know everything. Explain it all or I swear I will murder both of you.” I know the sound of my voice could freeze over hell, but I don't care. The sound of my voice can never reach the frozen feeling touching my heart. Turning I walk up the dunes to my house. I know they're following. I can hear them behind me. We all walk into the house I feel cold and angry. Hatred is pouring off of me with every movement.

Blood is dripping from my hand, bruises are all over my body, and splinters are embedded in my neck. Add all of those things to the fact that my dad was just taken from me and you might be able to understand why I'm the vision of hell.

Stella closes the door and I lead the way into my living room the second time today, but now I feel lonely. The house was too big for just my dad and me, and now it's just me in this big house. That piece of information is just too much for me to take in right now.

Sitting on the couch I can still feel the water on my skin, but I don't care right at the moment. I just can't find the feeling enough to care. Jake and Stella sit down on the two love seats in front of me. Jake looks apologetic, and Stella looks partially broken. I cross my legs and my arms. I know my face looks fierce, and that's how I want it to look.

“Heart, I'm really sorry.” Stella breaks the silence first. Anger flares up in me, and before I can stop myself I say,

“I don't want your apologizes! I want my dad! I want the truth!” I know I'm being harsh. Stella looks shocked, before she looks like she might yell back, and I'm ready for that. I need that right now. An outlet for my anger, I want to hit her and for her to hit me, but Jake buts in.

“You want the truth?” I turn on Jake, and his face is placid. It shows no emotion and that makes me fume with rage.

“Of course! Are you kidding me?!” He sighs in patience. Which makes me want to pull off his head. Him acting all high and mighty just gives me this itch to kill.

“Look we're not going to get anywhere with you snapping every five seconds. It's going to take time to catch you up on everything.” I growl like an animal.

“We don't have time! My dad's out there being used like a puppet!” Stella leans forward in her chair.

“We know that, but you're going to have to trust us! You can't go on in ignorance!” I grimace at the word. Ignorance, I hate that word. “If you do then you'll never find your dad.” I grind my teeth.

Fine they want patience! I'll give them patience. through gritted teeth I say,

“Okay, where do we start?” I grip my knees in frustration. I look into both of their eyes with a determined look on my face.

“First you should go change into some warmer clothes.” I look down at my swimsuit. I can feel the water on my skin and it's warm, but I also remember the awkward feeling of having dried sea salt on my skin. I nod my head.

“Jake and I will make a fire. It get's cold in this house at night.” I don't even question how they know that. I just stand from my seat and walk towards the hallway. I turn my head to look at them from the corner of my eye. I see the bruises and cuts on their bodies and I make the decision to grab the first aid kit.