The Messed Up life of Ever Rose | Teen Ink

The Messed Up life of Ever Rose

By EverR SILVER, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
EverR SILVER, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Author's note: well its not done yet this is just a sneak peak of the first 4 chapters but if you like it i will post the full story when i finish

its actually the introduction :p

I couldn’t breathe; the air around me was too thick with poison. As i fell to my knees with the hands of the devil at my throat. I understand that choking myself won’t save me from the airy death that is all around me but i don’t know what else to do. I start coughing up blood.
A familiar voice calls my name from the outside of the locked door that is imprisoning me in this deathly room. I look out the doors window meeting the eyes of a worried face. I struggle to stand but manage. Wrapping my arms around my stomach my head down hiding the tears of pain. I smile weakly. Because i know i was about to be at the end of my journey.

"Wake up Ever, you’re gonna be late for school!"
I groan in agony. I didn’t get much sleep last night; as usual I was up watch anime and reading. "Ten more hours" I yell back pulling my pillow over my head. Of course that wasn’t good enough for my dad. He comes into my room without knocking with a super soaker and soaks my entire room. Seeing my deep brown eyes turn blood red, he quickly runs out of my room giggling like a school girl telling me to get ready for my first day of my senior year.
An hour later i am out of the shower drying my hair and darkening my eyes with mascara and eye liner and drowning myself in my usual black and red corset dress. I walk down stairs into the kitchen where my father has a nice sunny breakfast ready for me. I hate it. He and I are total opposites, he is day i am night.
"Oh you look just like your mother." he says with a sigh of happiness, of course i just roll my eyes and grab my keys off the counter and ignore his attempt of breakfast.
I don’t know my mother. She left right after i was born. As if i wasn’t wanted she never calls, she never sends cards, she is a total stranger to me. So i always ignore my dad when he says i look like her. Mostly because i don’t even have a picture of her. He stops me before i could escape my opinion of hell. Frowning at me for ignoring him.
"Damn..... I was so close." I think to myself.
I slowly turn around and face him. His eyes are filled with sadness. I hate it when he pulls the guilt trick on me. His curly black hair and his deep brown eyes make him look like a like a little Scotty dog. Impossible to escape. I drag my feet and sit down to the plate he made me with smiling happy face pancakes. I look down at my plate with disgust but seeing as how happy my father was of me actually trying I take a bite. The taste is so sweet i choke it down, not enjoying a single thing about it. I give him a fake smile and say my thank you and lie and say i loved it. His face lit up like fireworks and hugged me.
“Well gotta get going don’t want to be late on my first day." I say looking forward to escaping. He lets me go and i grab my keys to my Yamaha RD350LC Motorcycle.
I get to school about 20 minutes late, as planned. I never liked school only thing I liked about it was after when i would get to see Damon. He was the most amazing guy i had ever met. We hadn’t known each other very long, but he probably got me more than anyone I had ever known in a life time. He was my only safe place, anywhere he was, and I felt safe. He is Taller than me and has the prettiest blue eyes a girl has ever seen. I’ve had a crush on him ever since I first saw him.
I walk into my first hour, Calculus, and slump into my desk. This is my least favorite class, so I was happy it only had a little while till it was all over. Next I would have Chemistry, which is okay i guess. My favorite class is Drama, because my teacher, Mr. Dampyr, reminds me of a Bat he hate light but he is the most fun to hang out with since he and I have a lot in common.
After school I sit in the parking lot and polish my motorcycle as i usually do. Some cheerleader who thinks she’s all that covered the paint in mud. And it hardened so it was very hard to get off. As i worked on that, Damon drives by in his black beat up Chevy.
"Hey beautiful what happened to your ride?" he asks in a sentimental voice. (I always melt when he uses it) he always worries about me, I don’t know why though i get bullied all the time but i always come out of it laughing. Also he has seen me in my worst times yet he still finds me attractive. I find myself absolutely hideous so his attraction to me is quite the surprise, but he loves and cares for me.
"Some b**** thought it would be funny to cover it in mud." I say turning to him, trying to look strong and not fall to my knees begging him to come cuddle close to me. He of course finds it adorable since imp like a foot smaller than him. He steps out of his truck and pulls me into the comforting hug and that is where i break my act and cuddle up close to his chest. He is so warm and embarrassing that i never want to leave.
He smiles down at me, "Oh I got you sort of an early birthday present, since its tomorrow and all" he hands me and box rapped in a soft silky fabric. I smile and open it. Inside is a glass Black rose with a poem folded underneath it. He smiles at me giving me weak knees. "I hope you like the poem i wrote it especially for you." I look up at him and smile back. I unfold the poem and start reading:
"Once upon a memory I gave you a rose. Like a photograph, its beauty timeless froze. A token of love on a special day. A rose of glass that will never wilt away. Only fragile glass the rose just a token of love that I thought could never be broken. Yet now I am alone, Love gone, but the rose of glass Lives on."
"Oh Damon its beautiful thank you" my eyes start to fill with tear of happiness. I hug him tight to me. "I love you." he smiles and hugs me back.
"I love you too" he replies.
I get home and to my surprise my dad isn’t home. So i grab a soda and head up to my room. I spend an hour playing "Alice: The Madness Returns". Until I hear the door swing open. Expecting to see my dad I turn around with an annoyed face and a grouchy "What do you want dad." That’s when I realize it isn’t my dad. Instead I see this tall red head total hottie standing in my doorway. She looked like an older, hotter version of me.
“Hello Ever Rose, I am your mother."

I stare at this woman with disbelief “I think you have me confused with someone else, my mother left me right after i was born if you were her why wait till now to make contact." I stare out her waiting for her most likely ridiculous answer.
"No i am very sure you are Ever Rose Sterling, daughter of Josh Sterling and Alice Hex, Queen of hell." She said standing up straight giving the most elegant smile i have ever seen. I started laughing; I couldn’t help it I mean queen of hell? I swear she has to be insane. "You don’t believe me?" she asked.
"You can’t exactly blame me. Seriously where is your proof?" I replied, giving the most serious look i can without bursting out laughing.
"You want proof? Fine I’ll give you proof." she smirked as her eyes turned blood red. My eyes widened, my eyes would turn that same shade of red when i was really mad or annoyed. It always scared people that is why I don’t exactly have friends. Well other then Damon that is.
"Is this chick really my mother? I'm so confused." I think to myself as a cloud of black smoke surrounds me and i hear the woman who is supposedly my mother, laughing. Though I haven’t known her long, I can tell she has this sinister personality. It sort of scares me to tell the truth.
The smoke clears and i can finally see that we are no longer in my house. I look around confused and see that the flames of terror surround me. I am trapped, wow if this lady is really my mother, she sure has a weird way of showing love. I look up and see the sinister witch sitting in a black morbid looking throne giving me this very intriguing look. I feel like I’m in a cage, it’s horrible. The flames grow and i realize we are not alone. These demon looking things stare down at me in total silence. It’s like a nightmare that I can’t escape.
"Do you believe me now?" my attention focuses on my mother once again. She’s different then before. Now her hair is like fire, and her outfit has burned into this scary looking long black dress with a red cloak. I stare at her in amazement. I can’t believe this is happening; i shake my head in confusement.
"Help?" Is all i can manage to choke out until i break down in tears? The flames that are keeping me caged start to shrink. As soon as they touch my skin i flinch, expecting to be burned, but I’m not. The flames are cool and soothing i stand up and let the flames surround me. I can feel my body transform. I can hear the whole room fill with laughter. As soon as the flames die down i notice i have lost weight. I am skinny, I look sexy. My outfit consists of a blood red corset dress and Black hooded cape. I look up at my mother who looks very happy to see me.
"Welcome home, Princess Ever." she says before snapping her fingers. Suddenly I feel dizzy. I hear a crash and my mother scream in pain. I see a dark figure run toward me, but before i can see who it is i faint.

I wake up in a panic; I can’t remember anything that had happened. All I know now is that I am lying under an old spooky looking oak tree. I sit up and look around; there is a tray of food sitting next to me. It has a cup of coffee and a doughnut. Yum my favorite. I smile a and take a bite out of the doughnut. It reminds me of Damon. On out first date, he took me to his favorite doughnut shop. The memory always put a smile on my face.
All of a sudden i can hear footsteps crunching leaves behind me. They sound as if they were getting close. I quickly stand up and turn around. Damon stands there with a very serious look on his face. I had never seen him look so serious before. It was sort of turning me on. He looked up and saw me standing there with panic in my eyes. "Oh so your awake? How did you sleep?" he asks. He sounded angry. It scared me seeing him like this. I missed the caring soft Damon, what happened to cause him to treat me like this.
"Ya thanks for the doughnut and coffee." i say in a sincere voice. This new Damon scared me; I don’t feel safe with him anymore. I look at him closely and i realize he’s carrying a very large sword on his back. He notices my look of fear and puts the sword down, then walks over to me and pulls me into an embracing hug. I can feel him shaking, he was crying.
"I’m so sorry, Ever." he says in between his now uneven breathe. I look at him, he is once again that Damon I know and love with all my heart.
"For what?" I ask not knowing what he was apologizing about. He looked into my eyes and kisses me sweetly on the lips. I can taste his salty tears. This reaction from him worries me. When our lips part I notice he has the same look of fear in his eyes that i have in mine. Only his fear is because of a totally different reason.
"I didn’t protect you, I left you defenseless, If i had only known that b**** was going to make contact i would have been with you." he voice went low with hatred. His eyes turn black. I back away from him, his eyes are as black as night.
"Damon, what’s happening to you?" I ask as i back away from him slowly. "I don’t like that look in your eyes please stop." i fall back tripping over a fallen branch. My eyes immediately start watering. I start screaming now, "STOP IT DAMON! This isn’t funny your scaring me."
His eyes begin to turn back into his amazing blue eyes again. He covers his face with his hands. "I’m a monster" I hear him mumble. Before i can run to his aid, he runs away. Shouting back at me, "I’m sorry; I don’t want to hurt you"
He’s gone once i stand to run after him. I look off into the direction he ran, and get ready to start running, when my father stops me. He is in all black and has two swords on his back. I stare at him with amazement. He actually looks better like this.
"I’m sorry for Damon’s behavior, this was his first fight." my father says looking at me with that same seriousness Damon had. "So what do you think of Alice? Isn’t she just wonderful?" he says smiling at me.
"Dad what’s going on? Why won’t anyone tell me what’s happening. Why did mom call me princess?" I ask. Dad’s eyes turn dark and he looks at me. He grabs my throat and pushes me against the tree i had awoken under. His eyes full of hatred.
"Don’t you EVER call her mom, that woman was not your mother." His voice was filled with anger but i could tell he was holding back tears. "Your mother would have never done that; she would have let you decide your fate." I hadn’t ever seen him like this. I was so used to him being so happy and innocent, now all i see of him scares me.
"Dad? Was that really my mother?" I look at him with worry and our eyes meet.
"Yes, Ever. Unfortunately your mother has become more evil since the last time we had met" His eyes start to water. I could really tell he loved her. I had never seen him so depressing before. My mother must have really hurt him.

So the good news is, I know who my mom is now! The bad news though is that she’s the queen of the underworld. I don’t exactly know how to take that? Should I be happy? Should I be scared to death? This whole situation is just so abnormally abnormal I don’t know. Why can’t I just be normal like any other teenage girl. Then again I’ve never been considered normal, even before this problem.

Damon finally came back; of course when he did he was covered in cuts and bruises. When I had asked him what happened he just gave me this guilty smile as if he had done it to himself. It made me feel bad. I love Damon, seeing him in such shape makes me really worry about him. Usually it’s him worrying about me. So me feeling this way about him is a bit weird.

Damon looks at me in regret now; it makes me feel so lost. I don’t like him looking at me like this. I feel more alone than ever now. Was he only nice to me because of who I am? Or was his feelings real? I’m so confused now. I just want to make him feel better. Help him realize that what I am is not his fault. I don’t want him ever feeling sorry for me.

It took me awhile but I finally think I know how to make him happy again and remind him of what our relationship means to me. I have to admit I never really thought I would ever do such a thin with Damon, but now I really think I’m ready. He and I have been dating for a few weeks and some people may think we’re moving too fast but I love him and I’m ready to move to the next stage. I only hope that he’s ready too.

Now my only obstacle is how I’m going to bring it up. I mean the very first words I ever said to Damon was “hey you’re awesome”. This just shows how bad I am at talking to guys. This is definitely going to be difficult for me to bring up such a huge deal. What is he even going to think of me after I say it? Would he think of me as a whore? Oh my gosh if he ends up hating me I wouldn’t know what to do. I really need him. He’s the only guy who’s actually put up with my shit and understands me. I cannot afford to lose that.

Okay never mind let’s not do that. Bad idea. How about I just ask him to hang out with me just me and him, maybe go on a date. Yah a date sounds nice. I pull out my phone and pull up his number. “hey, would you perhaps like to hang out tomorrow night? Just me and you? Maybe go on a date?” I did it, now I just have to wait for his reply. Now that I think about it he’s just downstairs why did I just walk down and ask him face to face? Oh well what’s done is done.

Thirty minutes go by until he actually replies. I’m a little nervous to read it. I mean what if he says no. does that mean he really doesn’t like me? Well I guess I’ll have to face it sooner or later. I’m just gonna go ahead and read it. “Sure, sounds fun!” Oh my gosh he said yes! He doesn’t hate me after all! Yay! That makes me so happy!

Now, what are we going to do? I want it to be really special. Our first date was we went to Zio’s for lunch. So I want to do something different. Maybe we could go to a movie? What is even out in the theaters? I pull out my laptop and start looking. Nothing really “romantic” is out. Dang it! Well there goes that idea.

This book has 1 comment.

on Oct. 25 2013 at 11:52 am
falling_UP PLATINUM, Grand Marais, Michigan

"I am both happy and sad at the same time, and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be." Stephen Chbosky - Perks of Being A Wallflower

I really like this story! Please post the rest of it!