The Summer of Magic | Teen Ink

The Summer of Magic

September 24, 2013
By PollingtonProfessional GOLD, Cadillac, Michigan
More by this author
PollingtonProfessional GOLD, Cadillac, Michigan
12 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead." -Benjamin Franklin


The author's comments:
The First Secret

The light shimmered through the old oak tree, and into Elizabeth’s upstairs bedroom window. The light left bright patches on the carpet. Elizabeth, still in her nightgown, poured herself a glass of tea, with a hint of honey and sugar. Her shoulder length brown hair was still in a ponytail from the night before. She sipped on her tea, and then turned towards the bed.

“Good morning, beautiful,” Mike smiled at Elizabeth.
“Well then, look who finally decided to get up,” Elizabeth laughed.
“I am so sorry; I didn’t mean to fall asleep here last night.” Mike replied.
“I decided not to awake you. You looked too precious,” Elizabeth stated.
“Have you heard from my brother?” Mike asked.
“No, why?” asked Elizabeth.
“He was supposed to meet me at the Grille for coffee. Well I guess I better get going.” Mike stated in a low voice.

Elizabeth walked over and gave him a long kiss, and left the room. Mike put his shirt back on, and made the bed. He then went downstairs, and helped himself to a glass of orange juice and a doughnut.
“Goodbye, Sheriff Cole.” Mike said to the sheriff, which was Elizabeth’s father.
“See you later, Mike.” Sheriff Cole said in return.
Mike left the house in his red convertible.

Elizabeth brushed her teeth and let her hair down. She then walked down the stairs and into her downstairs bedroom, where Bow, Mike’s brother, was still sound asleep.
Elizabeth shut the door, and then peeled an orange from the fruit bowl, by the large window, on the east wall.
“Good morning lovely,” Bow said.
“Good morning as well to you Mr. Bow.” Elizabeth said with a smile, as she turned to face him.

Bow walked over to where Elizabeth was standing, and bit into a giant, red, solid, apple, from the bowl of fruit.
“How was your night?” Elizabeth asked while she put a piece of orange into her mouth.
“My night was fantastic.” Bow said as he rubbed his left eye .
“You smell like my…” Bow started to say.
“I smell like what?” Elizabeth said with a giggle.
“You smell like my…. my brother.”
“Your brother, you never told me you had a brother.” Elizabeth lied, trying to hide the fact that she was with both of the brothers the night before.
“Yeah, speaking of brother, I have to meet him at the Grille for coffee. So, I will see you this evening?” Bow asked in a smoldering tone.
“Yes of course, why would you not?” Elizabeth replied, fascinated by his sparkling blue eyes.
Bow gave Elizabeth a long enduring kiss, and then she left the room, trying not to seem desperate. Bow made the bed then put his gray shirt back on, and placed the large red comforter over the queen size bed, then opened the silk curtains. Elizabeth walked into her closet and removed her nightgown, placing it in a neon green hamper, then dressed herself in a red short sleeve button down shirt, cut off blue jean short’s, and her sparkly silver flip flop’s. Bow left in his jet black fusion.

Mike was already waiting at the Grille for his brother to arrive. He decided to order, since Bow is usually late. A waitress about the age of eighteen, with long blonde curly hair and a tattoo of a dove on her shoulder walked over to the table Mike was sitting at.
“Can I take your order Sir?” The young waitress asked.
“I’ll have one egg, sunny side up, and a hash brown.” Mike stated in a gleeful voice. The waitress left and Mike took a moment to think about life.
Mike felt lucky to have such an amazing girlfriend such as Elizabeth Rucker. She treated him good, and was never bossy. For some odd reason, Mike has never brought her up to his brother Bow before. He does not know why, he tells Bow everything. Mike thought this would be the perfect opportunity to tell Bow about Elizabeth.

Mike’s food arrived, and about three minutes later, Bow walked into the Grille, and sat across from Mike at the rectangular wooden table.
“Sorry I’m late brother, I was with my girl, and I kind of overslept.” Bow said in a laugh.
“Your girl, you never told me you had yourself a girlfriend!” Mike joked.
“Yeah, yeah, her name is Elizabeth.” Bow said. Mike was silent.
“Elizabeth Rucker! Do you know her? She lives on North Baldwin Street, near mom and dad’s old lake house, the one out by Lake Uric.” Bow told Mike in an exited voice. Mike just looked at him. His face was beat red, and he felt the steam rushing through his veins and out his ear’s. Mike knew it could not be true. Mike knew he was the only man in town, dating a girl named Elizabeth Rucker, who lives on North Baldwin Street, down the road from their parent’s old lake house, on Lake Uric. The waitress was back again, to take Bow’s order. Bow looked up at her and said:
“I’ll take two hard boiled eggs, one French mint mocha, and a hash brown, and would you get my brother some ice water? He look’s a little red today.”
“Of course Sir, I’ll be right back with that.” The waitress responded.

“I see you already ordered.” Bow sighed.
“Right now, I really don’t give a s***.” Mike screeched to his brother, with glaring dark eyes.
“Dude what’s your deal? Is it because I was late? Dude, I said I was sorry.” Bow explained to him with eagerness, and hopes that maybe he would listen. But Mike was so flustered at him; he just simply couldn’t hold in his anger any longer.

Mike leaned over the table and punched Bow right in the nose, as hard as he could. Blood was draining from his nose. Then Mike grabbed the back of Bow’s head and smashed it into a glass window, about seven times, until it shattered. Sounds of children screaming inside the Grille filled the place. Bow got up and shoved Mike off him, then started kicking him violently in the face and chest. Bow picked up a peppershaker and threw it at Mike, hitting him right in the chin. Mike opened his mouth and three teeth fell out. Mike walked over to him and started throwing punches as hard as he could. Bow got right back up and bashed a pot of coffee over mike’s head, then kicked a chair at him. Mike was still furious that Bow was dating his girlfriend, and yet Bow had no idea. Mike stood up and picked up a knife, then slowly turned towards Bow with an evil smile on his face. Mike threw the knife as hard as he could right at Bow, but the knife missed Bow and landed in the wall, right above an eleven year old girl’s head. The girl screamed and continued to cry. Mike and Bow ran at each other as fast as they could and started punching and kicking each other.

Bow did not understand why his brother was so mad; he was only a few minutes late. Little did Bow know that they had been both dating the same girl.
‘How could Bow do something like this to me’ Mike thought to himself.

Both brothers are continuing to throw punches. They were both pretty banged up. Soon enough, five policemen pulled them apart, and put them in handcuffs. Once Mike calmed down he looked around the Grille. It was covered in blood, chandelier’s were shattered, as were three window’s and children sat around the corner’s with there hand’s over there head sobbing. Mike blacked out, Next thing he knew he was sitting in a questioning room in the police station.

Meanwhile, Elizabeth was on her way to the store.
“We are never ever, ever, getting back together, like ever” Elizabeth sang to herself as she rolled down her windows in her ford fiesta, and turned up the radio.
“You boy’s know that you will have to replace any and all damages that you caused here today, right?” said a police officer named Phil, who had a long mustache.
“Yes Sir.” Mike and Bow answered at the same time. They were forced to go to anger management classes for six year’s and they both had a date with court, and they were each given three week’s worth of community service. An officer drove them back to Elizabeth’s house, until further punishment from the court.

Elizabeth got returned home and unpacked her groceries, downstairs in the kitchen.
“Hello daddy!” She said to her father, Sheriff Cole. He looked at her with an important face, that he only gives her when something bad happens.
“What’s wrong daddy? She asked.
“Dad, seriously, tell me… please”
“It’s Mike and Bow…. They found out.”

“They got into a fight at the Grille, and then the police came and dropped them off here a few hours later.” Sheriff Cole told Elizabeth.
“Mike and Bow… Their both here now?” Elizabeth asked, in a surprised but extremely scared voice.
“Yeah, Mike is upstairs in your room; Bow is still down here in your guest room. Their pretty banged up. You know this entire thing is your fault right?” Sheriff Cole asked in a voice that sounded like sarcasm, but really wasn’t. Elizabeth threw the rest of the groceries on the counter and ran upstairs, where Mike had thrown her things all about the room, punched a wall, and shattered a picture of them. Bow followed Elizabeth upstairs, but was not seen. He was planning on eavesdropping, just to find out what was going on.

“Mike, I’m so, so, so, so sorry.” Elizabeth pleaded. Mike just looked at her.
“It doesn’t matter, its over, we’re done.” Mike said as he finished packing the last of his things.
“I can explain, I need you to understand why I did what I did, I need you, you need me. Bow is just…” Elizabeth started saying before being interrupted. Bow opened the door.
“You’re cheating on me? With my brother?” Bow asked.
“Bow, please hear me out?” Elizabeth asked as a tear fell from her eye, and ran down her cheek. Bow hated to see her cry. It was like watching a live dog get skinned, right before his very own eyes. Bow held himself together.
“No! It’s not possible, you would have told me.” Bow said as he walked into the bedroom.

“Bow. Mike. I am so sorry, I swear if you would let me explain, you’ll understand.” Elizabeth said, trying to keep her voice steady.
“You’re telling me, that I just got my ass kicked because you’re cheating on me and my brother, with each other?” asked Bow.
“I’m trying to be civil about this Bow.” Elizabeth intended.
“No.” Said Mike. “You’re being a marder.”

“Elizabeth,” Mike said, “I just have one question, answer it right, and I will forget the last eight years I have spent watching, missing, and loving you, and we can start over, but answer it wrong…” Mike said as he pushed the hair behind Elizabeth’s ear with his thumb. Elizabeth put her finger on his lips, as a tear dripped from her eye.
“Stop,” Elizabeth whispered, “I already know the question, and its answer.” Elizabeth whispered, in a calm, helpless voice.

Mike and Bow walked over to the cherry maple stools in front of the large window and sat down. Elizabeth sat on the red velvet trunk at the end of the bed, directly across from them. Elizabeth began her story.

“You see, when I was a little girl, on my seventh birthday, my Aunt Carmichael gave me a crystal ball. She said it had been passed down through the generations, for over three hundred years. The crystal ball says ‘love’ on one side, and ‘summer’ on the other side. The crystal ball at the time was a dark purple, a sign of new beginnings. Any way’s, every year on my birthday, it played a song called ‘summer love’. Then when I turned twelve, my great grandmother told me how it was used. Now… What you don’t know, is that I come from a family of witches, any way’s, my grandmother told me that when I turned sixteen, the crystal ball would either place a curse, or spell on me. Unfortunately, mine was a curse. The ball turned a dark brown, and a foggy face showed up, and it whispered ‘If you want to live forever, you must live a lie.’ And that was all it said. I thought it was just some stupid trick, so I chose to ignore the damn thing. Until one day, in the breaking dawn hours of night, it spoke again. This time it was a female voice, it said ‘If you want to live forever, you must be unfaithful, and marry two husbands, which must be blood related, and if you succeed you and them may live forever. And if you choose to disobey, you and all your loved ones will die a tragic, young death.’ And that was all it had said to me. And that is why I am with you. I wanted to tell you both, so bad. But it was too late, you had both already found out.” Crystal clear tears ran down her face, and landed on her knee’s.

“So you don’t love us? You’re just with us so you can live forever?” Bow asked.
“No, I do love you; I love you both so much. And if we get married, the three of us, then we will all live forever, as will our children, and we wont age a day. Yes, it’s a curse, but there’s love hidden within it. Even if there was no spell, even if I was not a witch, I would still love you both, as I do now.” Elizabeth explained.
“If you’re a witch, why do I never see you using your power? Why haven’t you told me… us? If you’re a witch, prove it.” Mike said, forcing the words out of his mouth. He wanted to believe her, but after everything that had happened today, he doesn’t know if he has any trust left within him.
Bow did not want to believe it, but he felt bad about the whole situation. Bow walked over to Elizabeth, and handed her a tissue to wipe her eyes, and placed his hand on her shoulder.
“Elizabeth, we have never given you a reason not to trust us. And after all the harsh problems you caused us, after all the lies, all the heartbreak, Elizabeth, you owe us that much. You owe yourself that much. You can show us, trust me.” Bow insisted.
“I’ve never shown anyone. Not even my best friend, not even my father. But for love, for us to be together forever, I shall show you my true colors.” Elizabeth said, as she wiped her olive skin with a tissue.

There was a moment of silence. Elizabeth asked them to sit by the window again, and open the door. So they did. Elizabeth stood in front of the bed, and Mike shut the windows. “If I do this, for you, will you please try to give me a second chance?” Elizabeth asked.
“If you can prove you’re a witch, and that you’re being honest, then yes, I will try to give you a second chance.” Bow said. Mike agreed shortly after.
“In that case, let’s begin.” Elizabeth said, with an innocent grin. Inside she felt like her whole life was on the line. But maybe the more they knew the better.

Elizabeth made sure the Victorian window’s were shut tight, and locked. Elizabeth removed all the fans from the room, and placed them in the closet, closing the double door’s as she back out. Elizabeth then walked over to the light switch, and dimmed the lights to a low medium. She then closed the door and locked it, after picking up the loose things from her floor.

“Are you ready?” Elizabeth asked.
“Yes.” Mike and Bow said at the same time. Elizabeth placed one hundred and fifty two candles evenly around the room. She then sat in the middle of the floor, and placed the last ten candles in a circle around her. Elizabeth crossed her legs and let her hair down from the ponytail she put it in earlier that day.
“I need to swear you to secrecy.” Elizabeth insisted.
“Secrecy” Bow asked.
“Yes. You cannot tell anyone what you are about to see. I need your word.” Elizabeth insisted again.
“We understand.” Mike said, and Bow nodded his head. Mike and Bow finished cleaning up the room really fast, so that the only thing left on the floor besides the furniture was the candles Elizabeth had placed there. Bow shut the rest of the lights off and they both sat back down.

Elizabeth closed her eyes and placed her arm’s out in front of her, her palms facing the ceiling. All of the hundred and sixty-two candles suddenly had a flame in them. The more energy Elizabeth channeled, the higher the flames in the candles rose.
“Equre o beakeo glare, estan studio stair, fuhar domino flair, equre o beakeo glare, estan studio stair, fuhar domino flair.” Elizabeth repeatedly chanted. All of a sudden it started to snow inside the bedroom. The snow was large, but the flakes were spread fairly apart from one another. When they touched you skin it felt warm, like clothes fresh out of the dryer, and melted instantly. The lights began to flicker rapidly. Elizabeth was still chanting to herself, in a language unknown to the rest of mankind.
“Equre o beakeo glare, estan studio stair, fuhar domino flair, equre o beakeo glare, estan studio stair, fuhar domino flair.”

Then all the candles went out and the snow stopped. The room was pitch black. Elizabeth chanted louder and louder as the time passed. Soon a strong wind sound came about the room, and Elizabeth screamed. The candles redeemed their flame again, and Elizabeth’s nose started to bleed. The room got a scary red tint. Bow could tell something was wrong. Thorn’s started falling instead of snow; the thorns sliced the flesh of which it landed. The furniture started shaking like crazy. It felt like an earthquake, and a strong wind whipped through the room. Elizabeth continued to chant, louder and louder, as if someone was compelling her. Elizabeth began to levitate about a foot above the floor, but she didn’t realize, she was to preoccupied by something much worse. She was still chanting;

“Equre o beakeo glare, estan studio stair, fuhar domino flair, equre o beakeo glare, estan studio stair, fuhar domino flair.” Her legs were still crossed, and her arms still out in front of her. The pin sharp thorns randomly disappeared from the air and floor. Elizabeth’s nose was bleeding badly, it got in her mouth and turned her teeth a red color, as she was chanting. The glass in the windows behind Bow and Mike shattered one at a time, in what appeared to be speed up, slow motion. The door started slamming open and closed rapidly. A figure of what appeared to be a man with a black hooded sweater, appeared behind Elizabeth, and she flew against the wall, causing it to crack. When she opened her eyes, the room was fine, the glass was in the window, and the door was closed and locked, the lights were off, but her nose was still pouring with blood. Her neck and shirt were covered.
“Holy s***!” Mike said with a slang of confusion and a hint of relief.
“Oh my...” Bow said.
“Are you okay?” Mike asked.
“No. I’m not.” Elizabeth answered.
“What’s wrong?” Bow panicked.
“We believe you about everything, well at least I do.” Mike chocked as he said it.
“I can’t believe it.” Elizabeth said in a shocked voice, as she raised one eyebrow.
“Elizabeth, What is it?” Bow asked.
“I…I channeled to much bad energy. Dark magic is trying to take over my body, and I think it was successful.” Elizabeth said.

“I am so sorry, this was a mistake, I should not have involved you two in this.” Elizabeth explained. “I have to go.” Elizabeth said as she got up and ran down the stairs. Sheriff Cole was asleep on the couch. Football was on the television. Mike and Bow followed her. They were so confused.
“Elizabeth said that dark magic had taken over her. What is dark magic, and what did It do to her?” Bow asked Mike.
“I don’t know. But I’m about to find out.” Mike insisted.

Mike and Bow searched the house, wall to wall, but could not find Elizabeth.
“She must have left.” Bow said.
“Come on, we have to find her.” Mike said. Mike took the sheriff’s key’s and they got in Cole’s Dodge Durango and took off into the midnight hour’s, in search of Elizabeth.
“She probably went to her grandmother’s house.” Bow said.
“Alright, I know where it’s at.” Mike said, as he made a u-turn.
“Look Bow, about earlier..”
“Don’t sweat it brother, I understand why you did what you did, I would have done the same if it were me.” Bow said, in an understanding tone.
“It was out of rage and anger, I should not have hit you, and you need to know how sorry I am.” Mike said.
“Mike, you’re my brother, and I love you the same, as I always have, but are you sure we can handle this? Handle her? I mean, she’s a witch, with dark magic in her. ” Bow asked.
It was silent for a moment.
“I love her.” Mike answered.
“I know you do. But I love her too.” Bow said.
“Do you want to stop and get a bite to eat? I haven’t eaten all day.” Mike said.
“That would be fantastic.” Bow laughed.

They stopped at Denies Bar and Grille, where they both ordered a burger and fries, with a beer.
“You’re my brother. I know we can get through this. Together.” Bow said.
“She will try to play us against each other, you know that right?” Mike asked.
“And how we respond to that is with the finest.” Bow said.

Mike and Bow ate quickly, and got back on the road again.
“Mike,” Bow said, “Why don’t we stay at my place tonight, we can find Elizabeth tomorrow. We all need some time to think, and all of us need to sleep.” Mike had to think about Bow’s question for a little bit, but shortly after, he agreed.
“Okay, only if I can sleep in the master bedroom.” Mike joked.
“Alright, alright,” Bow laughed.

Elizabeth arrived at her grandmother’s house around ten thirty that night. She was so mad at herself, and so scared. Why did I involve them? What’s wrong with me? Elizabeth thought to herself. She got out of her Ford Fiesta and went inside. Her grandmother’s house was very large. It had eight bedrooms, a library, a pool, a gym, and six garages on the first floor of three. Elizabeth loved her grandmother’s house, it was very open, and had lots of room. It always had a floral theme to it, and tonight, it smelled like butterscotch, and fresh baked cookies. The lighting was just right she did not use a lot of lights, mainly candles and hooded lamps, giving it a peaceful vibe.

Elizabeth’s grandmother was still awake, sitting in her wooden rocking chair, reading The Hunger Games. A plate of freshly made peanut butter cookies sat beside her chair, along side a glass of skim milk.
“Grams” Elizabeth whispered.
“Well hello dear. What brings you hear so late? Come have a seat.”
Elizabeth just stood in the doorway.
“Grams, I messed up.” Elizabeth cried.

Elizabeth’s grandmother was named Kate Lyn, Kate for short. Kate had chin length medium brown hair; she had recently had her monthly perm done. Kate had an Indian accent skin tone, with olive cheeks. She was quite small in proportion, for a woman her age.
“Oh dear” Kate said. She knew exactly what had happened. Elizabeth sat down, and Kate hugged her firmly.
“Let us talk about it.” Kate said. Elizabeth and Kate sat at a rectangle table in the corner of the room.
“Honey, there are things you don’t know, things I wish someone else could tell you, but I want you to hear it from me.” Kate said.
“Hear what Gram’s?” Elizabeth asked.
“There are things about your parents that you don’t know, things I wish weren’t true.”
“Grams, tell me, please.” Elizabeth begged.
“You just calm down, I will tell you when the time is right. As for now, give me your hands.” Kate demanded. Elizabeth held out her hands, and Kate placed her hands on top of Elizabeth’s.
“Close your eyes dear.” Elizabeth closed her eyes.
Kate started to chant; “Feliz con Juan, selez con xran, feliz con Juan, selez con xran.”
“Grams, No. Stop. The dark magic won’t let me stop once I begin.” Elizabeth insisted.
“You need to stay calm, ill protect you.” Kate said, as Elizabeth nodded her head. This time Elizabeth chanted with her, drawing in more energy.
“Feliz con juan, selez con xran, feliz con juan, selez con xran.” The candles flickered, and everything changed. Elizabeth blacked out.

Meanwhile, Bow and Mike finally arrived at Bow’s house, after stopping to fill the car up with gas.
“Do you think she’s okay?” Bow asked.
“Elizabeth? Yeah, I’m sure her grandmother is taking good care of her.” Mike replied.
“Mike,” Bow asked, “If you don’t mind me asking, how long have you been with her?”
“Well, to be honest, almost two years. But I’ve had a crush on her for six years before then.” Mike answered honestly.
“If you’ve been with her for two years, why haven’t you told me about her?” Bow asked.
“Look man, neither of us is drunk enough for this conversation.” Mike laughed.
“Have you had sexual relations with her?” Bow asked.
“Bow, my sex life is none of your business, and for your information, yes, me and Elizabeth had sex, many times.” Mike said.
“Well actually, it is my business, If we are going to continue to have sex with the same person, then I need to be sure that you don’t have aids or something.” Bow said in a serious tone of voice.
“Bow, I do not have any STD’s, and like I said, neither of u is drunk enough for this conversation.” Mike said as he poured Bow a double shot.

“If you need me, ill be in the shower.” Mike said.
“Alright, you can borrow some of my clothes when you’re done, or dad left some shirts in the guest house, you can use those.” Bow offered.
“Okay, thanks.” Mike said.
“Are you still staying in the master bedroom?” Bow asked.
“No, I’m fine in the guest room.” Mike answered.
“Alright, goodnight.” Bow said as he poured another shot of Rubin.
“Goodnight brother.” Mike said as he got a towel, and shut the bathroom door behind him. Bow drank another glass of cake flavored vodka, and went to bed.

In the morning when Elizabeth awoke, she was laying on the softest bed, in the only bright, yellow room in her grandmother’s entire house. She stood up, and opened the cream colored curtains. Birds chirped out side the window. The view was great. There was a waterfall, and a garden, with a stream leading to a large willow tree, with a bench beneath it. A white bunny hopped over to the stream, and nibbled at the grass, at the edge of the water. A large white swan floated across the pond, covered with purple flowers and lily pads. Elizabeth walked over to the old fashioned wardrobe with a smile on her face, opened it, and picked out a red rose-colored sundress, and put it on. Elizabeth walked into the bathroom, and washed her face, curled her hair, and brushed her teeth, after putting on some makeup.

Elizabeth walked downstairs, where her grandmother, Kate, had made homemade pancakes, and freshly squeezed orange juice, and bacon.
“I made you a plate.” Kate said with a smile. Elizabeth walked over to the table and sat down.
“Grams, you didn’t have to do this.” Elizabeth smiled.
“Well I wanted to, after what happened last night.” Kate said.
“What did happen? The last thing I remember is blacking out.” Elizabeth said.
“I tried to place a protection spell on you, but I couldn’t.” Kate said.
“Why not?” Elizabeth asked.
“Because there’s something, that has you so scared, even more tragic than dark magic. You mind telling what that might be?” Kate asked.
“I can’t.” Elizabeth said as she let her bangs fall over her eyes.
“So, were keeping secrets now?” Kate asked.
“No, of course not, I trust you with my life.” Elizabeth said.
“Then you might want to consider sharing whatever it is that has got you so scared, Lizzie, I’m the only one who can help you.” Kate said. Kate always called Elizabeth Lizzie, when she Elizabeth was a child. Elizabeth looked across the table at her grandmother. A moment of silence passed, then Elizabeth spoke.
“Grams… I’m pregnant.”

Mike and Bow parked in the driveway, outside Kate’s house.
“Grams, say something.” Elizabeth begged.
“I have nothing to say.” Kate said as she placed more pancakes on the table, the steam still rushing off them.
“Please grams, this is killing me. You said you could help me.” Elizabeth cried.
“I only have one question.” Kate said. “Please tell me you know who the father is?”
“No grams, I don’t.” Elizabeth started crying.
“This, this is not my problem, its theirs.” Kate said as she folded a hand towel over the back of a chair.

Mike and Bow walked up to the house and knocked. Kate’s French bulldog named Gucci started barking because he knew someone was here.
“Grams, please, you can’t tell them.” Elizabeth begged.
“Don’t worry, its not my business sweetie, I’ll leave the telling in your hands.” Kate said as she opened the door.

“Hi Ms.Rucker, is Elizabeth here?” Bow asked.
“Yes, she’s inside, in the kitchen.” Kate said.
“By the way, I’m Mike.” Mike said as he held out his hand.
“Well then, you know what I am, but still you offered me your hand. That shows me I can trust your instinct to keep my grand-baby safe.. Please come in.” Kate said, as she moved aside, inviting them inside her home.
“Thank you,” Mike said, “Whatever I can do to help, I will.”
“You have a very pleasant home.” Bow said as he sniffed the air.
“Thank you dear, come, the kitchen is this way.” Kate led them to her kitchen, where Elizabeth was still eating.

Mike and Bow gave Elizabeth a hug. Kate got them a plate ready and sat it on the table for them.
“Thank righteousness your okay.” Bow said, as he gave Elizabeth a kiss.
“I just really needed to see my grams.” Elizabeth said.
“We understand.” Mike said. “Is all okay?” he asked.
“Family drama.” Kate laughed. Bow and Mike sat down at the table, one on each side of Elizabeth, and helped themselves to the homemade pancakes, bacon, and orange juice.
“Wow, this is spectacular Ms.Rucker.” Mike said.
“Please, call me Kate.” Kate said.
“Okay… Kate.” Bow smiled.
“So, I heard the two of you found out about Elizabeth’s little secret.” Kate said, as she cleaned up the mess from the pancake batter.
“Yes, ah, it was very shocking, and intense.” Mike said, as he bit into his bacon.
“So you must be the one who gave Elizabeth the crystal ball?” Bow asked.
“No, actually, I gave it to my daughter, Elizabeth’s aunt. She gave it to Elizabeth.” Kate replied.
“Why didn’t she give it to her daughter, or Elizabeth’s mother?” Bow asked.
“Well for one, she only has boys, and two, Elizabeth’s mother, Kat, passed away, in a plane crash.” Kate said.
“There are some peanut butter cookies that I made last night if any of you want one.” Kate offered.
“You said something about her last night.” Elizabeth remembered.
“Sorry honey, what did you say?” Kate asked.
“My mother, you said there was something about her that I never knew, what was it?” Elizabeth asked.
“That’s a conversation we’ll have when your friends aren’t around.” Kate answered.
“Elizabeth, can you load the dishwasher please?” Kate asked.
“Yes, of course.” Elizabeth answered
“Well we better get going; Sheriff Cole is probably wondering were his car is.” Mike said as he places his and his brother’s plate in the sink. Bow walked over to Elizabeth and gave her a kiss, and placed his hands on her waste. “I love you.” Bow said.
“And I will always love you.” Elizabeth replied, keeping eye contact the whole time.

Mike and Bow said goodbye, and left a short while later. When they arrived at Elizabeth’s house, Sheriff Cole was still asleep. They returned the car, and called their cousin Cade, to come and pick them up. Cade arrived there about a half hour later, and took them to Mike’s house.
“You know what?” Mike asked.
“What?” Cade asked.
“None of us have to be back to work for another week, and I don’t start college until September.” Mike said.
“Yeah, so” Bow replied.
“Let’s go do something, lets take a road trip, lets drive to Atlanta, or New York.” Mike said.
“Even with everything that’s going on?” Bow asked.
“Because of everything that’s going on.” Mike laughed.
“I’m in.” Cade said.
“Bow? Are you in?” Mike asked.
“Yes, I suppose so.” Bow answered.
“Okay, so when do we want to do this?” Cade asked.
“Let’s leave first thing tomorrow morning. We can all pack tonight, and I’ll fill up with gas, we can take my car.” Mike said.’
“Can I bring a few people?” Cade asked.
“Yes, but I only have six seats in my car, and theirs already three people, so you can bring two.” Mike said.
“Okay.” Cade said.
“What about Elizabeth?” Bow asked.
“We can tell her tomorrow.” Mike laughed.
“Then it’s settled.” Bow said.
“Where exactly are we going?” Cade asked.
“Anywhere we want.” Mike said, as they pulled into his driveway.
“Thanks for the ride.” Mike said.
“No problem, I’ll be back tonight, after I finish packing, I’m just going to crash at your place tonight.” Cade insisted.
“Alright, only if you bring the beer’s.” Mike laughed.
“Okay, I’ll bring some vodka, and a twelve pack.” Cade agreed.
“Bye.” Mike said as he got out, and checked his male, and went inside. Cade took Bow home and returned to his house to pack his bags.

“Gram’s, is it alright if I stay here tonight?” Elizabeth asked.
“Yeah, of course. We can finish our conversation.” Kate smiled.
“Okay, well I need to shower, so Ill be done soon.” Elizabeth explained.
“Alright, I’m going to run over to the store, I need to get some groceries.” Kate said.
“Okay, do you want me to come?” Elizabeth asked.
“No, you just need to go shower, and put your mind to ease.” Kate said as she placed her blue and silver Louis Vuitton purse over her shoulder, and left the house. Elizabeth walked upstairs and grabbed a towel, and some clothes.
‘Well I guess I better wait until tonight to shower, since I did just curl my hair, and put on my make up.’ Elizabeth thought to herself. So instead she went upstairs, and grabbed her diary out of her purse, and put the towel and clothes back. Elizabeth walked out into the back yard, and sat on the white bench, under the willow tree, next to the creek, and began to write in her diary.



Dear Diary,
A lot has been going on lately, Mike and Bow found out somehow
About my curse, and they got into a fight.
They’re not mad anymore, but I just feel abstract when I am with
Them both at the same time. I also showed them I was a witch, and dark magic
Took control of me. I don’t know what to do; I have no one to talk to
except my Grams, and she said something about my mother, and I am just so confused right now. Plus, I still have to tell Mike, and Bow, that I’m pregnant.
What to do, what to do.




-Elizabeth Rucker
“Elizabeth.” A voice called from the distance. Elizabeth looked around, and went inside.
“Grams? Are you home?” There was no response.
“Hello?” Elizabeth called.
“Elizabeth.” The voice said again.
“Who’s there?” Elizabeth called, as she slowly walked over to the knifes, and grabbed one.
“Help me.” The voice called. Elizabeth walked into the living room and a woman was sitting in her grandmother’s rocking chair.
“Elizabeth.” The voice said again.
“Who are you? Why are you here? How did you get in?” Elizabeth asked. Elizabeth looked at the door it was still locked. When she looked back at the chair, the woman was gone. Elizabeth started walking towards the door.
“Elizabeth.” The woman called. Elizabeth turned around and the woman was standing behind her. The woman had long, curly blonde hair. She had a tight red dress and red lipstick with four inch black Coach heels.
“Who are you?” Elizabeth asked.
“Im your mother.” The woman said.
“No… Its not possible, your dead.” Elizabeth said.
“Yes, I am.” The woman responded.
“What do you want?” Elizabeth asked. “How is this possible?”
“You ask a lot of questions.” The woman said. Elizabeth heard the door being unlocked, and it opened. Kate was home. Elizabeth turned to see her, and when she looked back, the woman was gone.
“Elizabeth… Why do you have a knife?” Kate asked, as she shut the door. Elizabeth was silent.
“Elizabeth?” Kate asked.
“Grams look out!” Elizabeth shouted as the woman appeared behind Kate, holding a knife.
“What?” Kate asked. Elizabeth was the only one who could see the woman. Elizabeth ran to her grandmother’s rescue, but it was too late, Kate fell to the floor as a pool of blood spread around her.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 2 comments.


on Sep. 27 2013 at 2:27 pm
PollingtonProfessional GOLD, Cadillac, Michigan
12 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead." -Benjamin Franklin

Thank you so much! Im glad you liked it, and I am for sure still working on making it alot better! Still writing chapters while editing old ones. Thanks for your tips, I really appreciate them. :)

on Sep. 26 2013 at 4:04 pm
AnInkling SILVER, Castle Rock, Colorado
6 articles 0 photos 110 comments

Favorite Quote:
“This is your life. Is it everything you dreamed that it would be, when the world was younger and you had everything to lose?” Switchfoot
“Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?” Galatians 4:16

The story line looks interesting, but it would really improve your writing to keep to one tense. You keep changing from past tense to future or present. Also it would be nice to see sentances start with something else other the subject, and the fight scene in chapter 1 was a little bit-- cartoonish.  However, the plot seems very unique, and it could make an interesting story.