Dead Spirits | Teen Ink

Dead Spirits

By Soccergirl14, Lancaster, Kentucky
Soccergirl14, Lancaster, Kentucky

Chapter One.

I see dead people.

Yes, I know. I’m weird. I’m a freak. But, I’m also a sixteen year old girl. I still have a family, friends, and feelings.

My last encounter with a dead person was while I was living. I was on a busy street in New York City, on a Friday. He was pale, tall, slender, and transparent. His black hair was slick on his head and his big browns were on me. He couldn’t have been over the age of eighteen. Seventeen? Seventeen and a half, maybe? Anyways, he saw me staring at him.

‘I am not going to help,’ I said to myself. ‘I am not!’ I walked faster, making sure that I kept my eyes straight ahead. Then he was right in front of me.

“You can see me,” he said, his voice husky and deep. “I know you can. I saw you looking at me. I know.”

I side-stepped him and acted like I couldn’t hear. I walked for about three minutes and turn around.

“I knew you saw me!” he said, rushing towards me. He touched my hand, it’s so cold and hard, like ice. I look up at him.

“Follow me,” I whispered, loud enough for only him and myself to hear.

He smiled at me. His teeth were straight and pearly white. I couldn’t help but smile back.

I turn back around and walk towards my house. He followed me silently. I have to look back a couple of times to make sure he’s following me.

When we get to my house, mom opens the door, “Hey, hun,” she said, with a lingering glance. I nodded in her direction and head upstairs to my bedroom.

“Hey, hun?” mom says to me as I’m halfway up the steps with Ghost Boy on my tail. I push him out of the way (believe it or not, you can NOT walk through ghosts) and went to my mom.

“Yes?” I asked. Ghost Boy tapped on my shoulder, which I ignored.

“You’re father won’t be home tonight, like at all. So, I was wondering if you wanted to have a Mother-Daughter day some time?” She smiled up at me as she pulled out her laptop.

“Wait. Dad shouldn’t be home until Sunday. He’s on his way to Washington. When do you want to do this Mom-Daughter thing?” I asked, looking back at Ghost Boy, who was getting impatient.

“Well, tomorrow,” she said, looking up from her computer screen. “We can go shopping for you in the morning, movies in the afternoon, and dinner that night. What do you think?” she smiled.

“That sounds great,” My braces showed through my smile. I headed back up the stairs, with Ghost Boy ahead of me.

When I got to my room, I closed the door. Ghost Boy was looking at the Orlando Bloom posters on my green walls.

“My mother loved Orlando,” He said sadly.

“Really? Good taste,” I winked, he smiled. “First things first,” I said. “How old are you, Ghost Boy?”

“Seventeen. And Jordan.”

“Excuse me?” I asked.

“I’m seventeen and my name is Jordan, not Ghost Boy.” he smiled.

“I’m sorry, Jordan. I just don’t like getting close to spirits because they always pass.”

He grinned crookedly. “I see.”

“Anyways,” I said. “How were you killed?”

He shuffled his feet as he walked over to my bed, “May I?”

I nodded and he sat down.

“Well,” he began. “I was murdered.”

Chapter Two.

I saw that coming, “How?”

“My girlfriend set me on fire.”

My jaw dropped, “Why?”

“I was cheating on her.” He said, looking at his folded hands.

Typical. A guy cheating on his girlfriend, but, “Why did she kill you?”

“I asked her to marry me the night before,” he grinned at his hands. “And she threw the ring in a lake. It was expensive, and it came right out of my pocket. Seven hundred and fifty dollars.”

My mouth hung open. “Yeah, I’d probably kill you, too.”

He looked at me and grinned, slyly.

“Now,” I began again. “Why haven’t you moved on -passed-, Jordan?”

“Because,” he said. “I’m still waiting for revenge.”

“What have I gotten myself into?”

He stood up and didn’t say anything.

We stood in silence for several minutes before he asked, “What’s your name?”

“Morgan,” I said, looking down. “Morgan Leighann.”

“Morgan Leighann,” he said, testing it out on his tongue. The way he said it, I wanted to hear him say it more, it freaked me out. “I like it.”

I blushed. “If you don’t take it personally, I’ll probably keep calling you Ghost Boy.”

He stepped closer to me, “I do take it personally. My name is Jordan.”

“Morgan Leighann!” My mom called.

“Stay here. Make yourself comfortable.”

As I went down the stairs, I called, “Yes, mom?”

“What do you want to eat for dinner?” She called from the kitchen.

“I don’t care, I’ll probably eat some crackers or something,” I called back.

She came out of the kitchen and looked at me. “You never eat anything anymore.”

I grinned, “Don’t worry, I eat like a hog at school.”

Mom laughed. “I find that hard to believe.”

I headed back up the stairs and into my room. Jordan wasn’t there.

I shrugged and walked over to my closet and pulled off my Nike
T-shirt.

A clearing of a throat stopped me from stripping off my pants. I looked over and saw Jordan at my window. I didn’t bother covering myself up, he was just a ghost.

“Yes?” I said, annoyed.

“I just wanted you to know I was here,” he said, shyly.

I threw my shirt at him, which he caught. “You were engaged. Surely you’ve seen a girl topless.”

He shook his head no and I threw my head back and laughed. “Then you should cover your eyes.”

I continued to feel his eyes on me while I slid off my pants. I put on my pajamas and turned around. Jordan wasn’t anywhere to be seen.

“I guess I was too much for him,” I said as I got my Iphone and slid under my orange comforter.

“Nah,” Jordan said.

I looked up from my phone and saw Jordan. He was wearing blue boxers. His skin was fair and smooth. His abs poked out from under his skin.

“Believe it or not, ghosts do sleep.” he said, watching me stare at his stomach area. I looked back up at his eyes.

I looked down at my Queen sized bed. “Oh, you can, uh, join me. If you want.”

He grinned and looked at his hands. “No..”

I scooted over and patted the bed beside me.

He slowly came towards me. He sat down and slid under the blanket. He made the warmth drop ten degrees. I shivered and put my back towards him.

In the morning, he was gone. It was only eight thirty in the morning.

Chapter Three.

Mom opened the door wearing her silky blue robe. “Sugar babe?” She came towards my bed. “It’s time to get up.”

I rolled over and stretched. I smiled up at mom and got out of bed. I pulled off my shirt as my mom walked out the door. I don’t know what happened to Jordan, but I wasn’t going to worry about it because it was a Mommy-Daughter day.

I took of my pajama bottoms and pulled on some skinny jean capris, a purple bra, and a green shirt. I shook my head and headed over to my desk-and-mirror.

I pulled my hair into a high ponytail and outlined my eyes in eyeliner. My mascara made my eyelashes longer. I put on my lip gloss and shoved it into my pocket, just in case. I tied my orange shoelaces and trotted down stairs.

“Wow, mom,” I said, grabbing a donut from the counter and looking at her. “You look great.”

She blushed. “Thanks.”

She was wearing a light blue, down to her ankles, sun dress. Her peach sandals exposed her light blue toenails.

I grabbed mom’s keys and asked, “You want me to drive?”

She laughed, “You’re going to have to. Do you see these shoes?”

I smiled.

We got to the mall a little after nine thirty. “Where do you wanna go first, Sugar Babe?”

I took her hand and we made our way to Hot Topic. As we walked in, I thought I saw Jordan, but when I looked again, it wasn’t him.

At about noon, our hands were filled with bags. Clothes, shoes,
make-up, hair supplies, everything a girl could ask for.

“You wanna go to that movie now?” Mom asked me.

I nod. I’ve been seeing Jordan everywhere, but every time I look again, he’s gone.

After the movie, mom and I went to dinner at Applebee’s.

Around seven, we returned home.

We walked in the door and mom kissed my cheek. “Go on up to bed, Sugar, I’ve got work to do.”

I nodded and headed up the stairs. When I got to my room, I was relieved not to see Jordan. I opened my laptop and messaged my best friend, that was in Europe, until nine.

When I shut off my computer, I turned on my TV and watched The Big Bang Theory while I changed into my pajamas. Around eleven, I went down stairs.

“Hey Sugar,” mom said from the couch.

“Hey,” I said back. “Are you still working?”

“No,” she laughed. “Just catching up on Facebook. What are you doing?”

I went into the kitchen. “Getting my leftovers.”

“Oh! Bring me mine too!”

I gave her her leftovers and headed back upstairs.

I opened up my leftovers and put it in my microwave, on top of mini fridge and beside my TV, which was still on and playing The Simpsons.

I pulled out a fork that I kept in a cup with a spoon and knife, and took my chopped steak and sat in my bed.

That was when Jordan walked out of my violet bathroom with a toothbrush and spiderman boxers on. “I’m guessing that your favorite colors are green, orange, and purple.”

“Um,” I said, putting the rest of my leftovers on the nightstand. “Yes. Why are you here?”

“What do you mean?” he said, taking out his toothbrush.

“Nothing . Why are you so worried about hygiene? You’re a ghost. How do you change clothes? The ones I’ve helped in the past don’t ever change.”

“I like being clean.” He said, and stuck the toothbrush back into his mouth, walked back into my bathroom, spit, washed his toothbrush, and came back saying, “And it’s kind of like how I can think of the place I want to go to and then I’m there. I just think about what I want to wear and it’s on me.”

I laughed, throwing my head back, “And you wear those?” I pointed to his boxers.

He grinned shyly, “I like Spiderman.” He said, walking over towards me and sitting on the edge of my bed.

The theme song of Family Guy came on as he said, “I want to see Ryan tomorrow, my girlfriend.”

I nodded. I stared at the screen for a minute and asked, “Where have you been all day?”

He blushed and put his see-through hand on my knee. He looked down. “Uh...” His eyes met mine. “I’ve been following you and your mother all day.”

Chapter Four.

I just looked at him.

“What?” he asked.

I shook my head. I dropped my gaze to his transparent hand that rested on my knee. I lifted up my hand and laid my fingers on his.

“Why,” I asked. “Are you so solid?” I looked up. “I can see through you, but you’re solid.”

“I’m not sure,” He laughed. “I wan’t given a rule book.”

“Oh,” I said. “Are you going to stay here tonight?”

“I can,” He looks at the ground. “Do you want me to?”

I scooted over and patted the bed beside me, just like last night. “You can. I’m going to bed.”

Minutes later, I felt Jordan’s cold, firm body. His back against mine.

He rolled over and whispered in my ear, “Good night, Morgan Leighann.” He kissed my temple and rolled over again.

Hours later, I lay there still awake. I thought to myself, ‘How can I feel so weird about Jordan? I’ve known him for two days!’

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Monday morning, I awoke to my dad saying, “Pooh Bear. Wake up my darling.”

I opened my eyes to an old man in a blue suit. His white beard matched his white whiskers and hair. His blue eyes smile behind his grey metal glasses.

“Daddy!” I screamed, engulfing him into my brace. Mom stood in the doorway, smiling like a fox.

“Sugar Babe,” she said. “You need to get ready for school. I have pancakes ready for you downstairs.”

Mom and dad left the room and I walked to my bathroom and saw Jordan standing there with jeans and a T-shirt on.

“What should I wear to school? After all, I am joining you.” he said, ginning.

I arrived at Ryan Codwells’ house at six o’clock on Tuesday. Jordan was right by side as I rang the doorbell. An old woman answered the door.

“I need to speak with Ryan,” I said.

Jordan said behind me, “That’s her mom.”

Ryan’s mother nodded me in the house and led me up two flights of stairs and into a giant pink bedroom.

Ryan was looking at herself in a mirror. She had long, curly, blond hair, blue eyes, rosy cheeks, she was about five foot three and skinny. Her mini skirt showed off her skinny, short, legs.

“Thanks mom,” She said, shutting the door behind her. “Who are you?” She said looking me dead in the eye.

“I’m Morgan Leighann Rawlins.” I turned my recorder on, secretively. “Did you kill your fiance, Jordan?”

She gasped. “Yes,”

Chapter Five.

An hour and a half later, I stood up from Ryan’s pink shoe chair. “You know,” I began. “I have to call the police.”

She didn’t say anything, just nodded her head.

Jordan stayed beside me at all times, staring at Ryan. If looks could kill, Ryan would be a goner.

As I dialed 911, Ryan said, “I loved him, you know? And when I caught him cheating on me, it broke my heart. I had to.” She shook her head.

“911, what’s you emergency?” a voice said from my phone.

“We have a murder confession.” I said, and hung up.

The next day, I awoke to two transparent brown eyes. I smiled.

Jordan smiled back, yawned, and stretched. He turned back around towards me, “You know, seeing Ryan get arrested, I thought I would be set free. But, my heart is filled with loneliness. I’ve figured out what the real way to do it, to set me free, Morgan Leighann!”

I smiled at his enthusiasm and sat up, “Oh really?” I said with a laugh, “What is that?”

“I need to find love!” He said, sitting up and and laying his hand on my knee.

Chapter Six.

The following Monday is one I’ll never forget. Simply because, it was my last.

I had awoken to a dark room. I went to my closet and Jordan came rushing out of my bathroom.

“Morgan Leighann! Morgan Leighann! I’ve done it!” He says.

“What?” I say, as I put on my jeans.

“I...” He said, putting his hands on my face. It was cold and hard, somewhat damp.

He leaned towards me and put his forehead on mine. His lips barely brushed mine. “I love you” He whispered and drew back.

I took a step forwards and kissed him again. “And I love you.” I said.

But when I opened my eyes, he was a shadow. “Jordan?” I asked.

“I’m free,” was his faint whisper.

It’s eleven twenty seven. I’ve been in depression since his passing. I need him. I love him. I put the gun up to my head, and pulled the trigger.

THE END.