The Five Demon Hunters of the East | Teen Ink

The Five Demon Hunters of the East

By Austin Sigler, Bremen, Indiana
Austin Sigler, Bremen, Indiana

Author's note: I really just felt like writing this in my free time and decided to see what others would have to say about it.

I remember that day like no other. Similar how someone might remember catching their first fish. Or a present that they got on their birthday. Except i don't remember that day with the same feelings of happiness like everyone else. I remember it as the day that i realized that we were not alone in the world. That at anytime we could be destroyed.

I woke up that morning like i would any other morning. My mom was downstairs already making breakfast and the TV was on it's usual channel. Everything just seemed normal. The way it should be. "Good morning honey! I got your eggs all ready for you!" My mom would always say that with such a huge smile that it could warm your heart even in the middle of a snow storm. I just nodded and plowed into my eggs. As usual it tasted delicious. When ever i asked Mom why it tasted so good she would say because it was made with love. Over the years though I found it was because she put her own mixes of spices into the eggs. I looked down at my watch in the middle of my ferocious eating to find that it was time to leave.
"Mom I am heading out!" I called while i headed out the door.
"Okay honey be careful while walking the streets!"

I would walk to school at my casual pace. The pace that some people said was slow and carefree. Mostly because I didn't really care if I got to school on time. The only reason I even maintained B's in school was because I wanted to make Mom happy. As I walked I would see many people who would walk to school as well since it was so much easier to walk to school in this city then to take a bus or a cab. Yeah I lived in a city. It was rather decent sized. They said that the population was around 50,000 but yet again it could be more or less. The city's name was Oakhaven. In the state of California. A nice city that was about to have some not so nice guests.

I made it to school like I always did. Not late but not so early that it made it look like I wanted to be there. Our same old boring teacher was there with his same old boring voice. Just everything that day just seemed normal. Not a single thing was out of place just another ordinary day in the boring life of Drake, that's me if you didn't get that. School ended that day for me like any other. I would pack up my bag and leave without a single word. Mostly because there wasn't a single person there i wanted to talk to anyway. Then I started the long walk home. Little did I know that it would prove to not only be a long walk, but a deadly one as well.

I happened to remember that Mom needed me to grab some milk before I got home so I turned on to the street that would take me to the market district. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened had I forgot to get milk. What would have happened if i had just gone home? Well I will never know.

When I walked down the street I suddenly felt uneasy. As if something was watching me or worse. Following me. I tried to shrug off the feeling as I got close to the market district but it just never seemed to go away. As walked into the market district there were people everywhere. Shopping for the groceries they needed to keep their families surviving. To help them keep on going. Little did they or I know just how easily that could all be taken away. I started towards the little in-and-out store who's owners knew me well and would be expecting me to be picking milk up today. In fact they probably already had it ready for me. Just as I reached for the door a horrible and sudden chill came over me. I felt frozen in place and time around me ceased to move.

After a couple of seconds I found that I could move and started to look around to see what was going on. What I saw would stick with me forever. The whole placed seemed to take on a darker tint as if i was wearing some kind of sun glasses. Also everyone was frozen in place. I walked among the people looking at them and seeing their frozen expressions. For some strange and odd reason I found myself not really frightened but more curious to what was going on. Then I felt it. A slight tremor in the ground that got stronger and stronger and louder. As if something very big was walking this way. I looked around frantically trying to find where the source of the noise was coming from. Ironically the noise found me instead.

BOOOMM!!! A giant black shape came flying out of a building right across from me and caused me to go flying into the wall of the in-and-out mart. I looked up dazedly from the ground and saw one of the most disgusting creature I have ever seen. It was completely covered in hair and it looked very ape like. It had glowing red eyes and humongous fangs jutting from the corners of its mouth. It had such an enormous presence inside the market district. Most likely due to the fact that it was like 30 feet tall.

It turned its head towards me as if it could smell my fear. My eyes locked with those glowing blood colored eyes for just seconds but it was enough for me to realize that i was about to die. SKKKKREEEEEEEEEAWWWW!! The creature let out a dreadful roar that shuck the very marrow of my bones. Then it charged at me.

I couldn't think of anything to do but to hold my hands up in front of me as if that was going to protect me. As the creature closed in on me I thought so this is how it is going to end. I am going to be killed by a giant ape. Then it was as if a spark inside of me went off. A fire started to kindle in my stomach. That's when I came to one simple conclusion. No. I was not going to die here. I refuse to be killed by this thing. "AHHHHHH!!!!!" I yelled at the top of my lungs and something shot from my hands. All of a sudden the giant ape caught into a flaming ball of rolling fur.

I looked down at my hands which still had smoke coming off of them. "Did I just do that?" I whispered to myself. All of a sudden the creature started back on to its feet. All the flames seemed to do was just tick it off. I got up and held up my hands but nothing happened. I couldn't get the flames to shoot out again. For the second time that day I thought I was going to die. As it lurched towards me a bright light arced across the sky. Straight towards the ape and smashed right into it. The light hit the creature with such force that I almost got knocked off my feet again. I had my eyes closed against the searing heat that was radiating in front of me, most likely from the bright light that had struck right into the creature. If there was anything that I could hear was the sound of cutting and roaring. Slowly the sounds ceased until it was deadly silent. I looked up to see what had happened. The creature had been killed. Someone was standing on top of it with what looked to be a sword in their hand. The figure slid off of the creature and strode towards me with tremendous grace. As the figure got closer I realized that it was a girl. She had flowing hair the color of the night sky during a full moon. Her eyes though were like to shining sapphires. She just seemed to radiate beauty. I had one of the dumbest smiles on my face as she walked towards me. All the way up until she pointed her sword at my throat which by the looks of it was a katana. Why I noticed this small little fact while I had a sword pointed at my throat was beyond me.
"Who are you? If you don't answer me in five seconds I will kill you." Those were the first words I heard from her. Very nice first words don't you think?

"I-I am Drake!" I stammered.

"Are you a Demon?" she said it so suddenly and so seriously I was taken back. I mean really demons?

“N-no I am not a Demon." Was this girl for real? Maybe she is really beautiful but secretly crazy? She seemed to look me up and down like she was sizing me up.

"I don't think you are lying. Sorry about that you can never be to sure." I just looked at her blankly.

"Oh sorry, forgot to introduce myself. I am Akura one of the 5 Demon Hunters of the East,"

I stared at her in complete and utter disbelief. A demon hunter? Is this girl for real? I mean seriously demons? She looked at me quizzically for second. Did she expect me to just know who she was? Like I was supposed to know who the 5 Demon Hunters of the East were or something? Was i supposed to fall down on to my knees and start worshiping her? "Um... If you don't mind me asking... Who are the Demon Hunters of the East?" I inquired. I was seriously afraid that she was going to like cut me with her sword or something for asking such a question.

"How would you not know? No humans can walk let alone move in the Other realm," she said matter of fact. I swear this girl is giving me more questions then answers.

"What is the Other realm? Is it this place we are in right now?"

"Yes this is the Other realm. It is created by demons when ever they enter this world so that humans can't see them," she looked at me hesitantly, " You really don't know any of this do you?" She asked. I shook my head, " I honestly don't,". She turned around and my guess is, started thinking about what to do. I don't think she has ever had to face a situation like this before.

"Okay I will start with the basics. The Five Demon Hunters of the East are a group of people like me. We can use magic granted to us by an Archangel to fight and destroy demons. Archangels are guardians of this world. Now they can't come into this world so they choose champions to give their power. Now the Other realm is a kinda like a time rift that freezes time in an area without anyone in the world knowing. Inside this time-rift no human can move, but champions of the Archangels have the ability to walk freely through it, along with some people who are a little bit more then ordinary but that is not the point here. Anyway the demons use this time-rift called the Other realm in order to eat peoples life force. Not enough to kill them but enough for them to feel emotionally drained. Which is why some people return home from school or work feeling really drained. We the Five Demon Hunters of the East try to kill as many of these demons as we can in order to keep people safe. There I think that about sums it up," I just stared at her. That was a lot of information to take in. What scared me the most though was just how much sense it made. Then something came to my mind.

"Wait, if that is true then why can I move and talk?" I asked.

"I don't know but what makes me wonder is how come your not dead yet. That demon was going to eat you when I showed up. It was showing caution though while it approached you. What was if that?" She questioned. I looked down at my hands.

"I-I shot fire out of my hands when it tried to kill me the first time. I kept saying to myself that I didn't want to die. Then all of a sudden my hands got really hot and fire shot out of them. It completely covered the demon and he actually didn't get back up for a minute," I couldn't even believe the words that were coming out of my mouth. The more I thought about the more I thought I was crazy. The more I thought about how all of this is crazy! She looked at me quizzically.

“I don't feel any power coming from you. Maybe your hiding it? No that can't be. Based on your knowledge you wouldn't even know how let alone the skill to do it,” She muttered, “Well you are quiet the interesting one Drake. You certainly are.”

“You make it sound as if I am some kind of math problem or a new species that has been discovered.”I stated. This girl was really starting to make me mad. I don't know why but she just gives me the feeling like I am a complete idiot and she is some kind of super genius. Although I haven't really gave her much to think otherwise.

“Oh I am sorry! I didn't mean to offend you. It's just I have never seen anything like this before.” She rushed. She seemed to think to herself again. I could tell that she was deep in thought too because of the way she looked. It was actually quite comical. Her eyebrows where knitted together and she slightly, ever so slightly stuck out her tongue. Then she lifted her head back up. I could just imagine the light bulb turning on.

“How about I stick around here until another demon shows up? That way I can observe and see what happens.” She said it as if she had just found a cure for cancer.

“What happens if nothing happens and it kills me!” I shouted.

“Ehh... Don't worry about it. All details that we can work out later.” She said it with a huge smile on her face. A beautiful smile at that. I just stared at her in complete shock. This girl is going to be the death of me. I just know it!
-Sorry to stop it here! I want to see what you guys think about it! If it does well then I will keep working on it in my free time.-

This book has 1 comment.

Chrissiana1320 BRONZE, Hypoluxo, Florida

"It isn't what you can do with your strength, but how you chose to use."

-By me, I think.

I love this! The main character is sooooo funny! You should continue it, I will read it.