Willow Whisperer | Teen Ink

Willow Whisperer

By ShiroAmeiro GOLD, Freeport, Maine
ShiroAmeiro GOLD, Freeport, Maine

"If I do it, I will be disobeying my government. But if I do not do it, I will be disobeying God." - Chinue Sugihara

Five years after the war, and anyone new to the main village of Jayce Tally Island would not know it. The village slept peacefully under the two moons of the planet Kaotack. Houses were built anew, and people quickly went back into the flow of life. And they were not the only ones; even the capital, the city attacked the heaviest, had slipped back into normality. The Jayce Islands were once again, peaceful.

But questions had flown around after the war. What happened to the families that had been only a few houses down? Certainly, their parents had been killed, but the children were still around by the end of the war. And one day, they just disappeared. They could not have possibly been taken by the enemy. Neighbors had taken care of those children. The government did not say a word about needing the orphans. In fact, when the missing orphans were reported, the government reacted with shock. They had believed that, like any other orphan before the war, these children would have been taken to an orphanage. But an investigation proved that these children were not taken in.

At least, not into any of the orphanages that the Jayce Islands knew about.

Seventy-eight miles off the coast of the Jayce Tally Island was another island. It was forgotten, left there after a war during the time of kings and queens. Years previously, a castle had been erected on that island in hopes that a king would live there sometimes, when he felt the need to get away from court life. However, the idea was abandoned and the castle was left to erode away. Until five years ago.

The castle, built in the middle of the island so one could not find it by standing on the shore, was now repaired and modified. Candlelight shone through the windows, shadows occasionally flitting across the light. On the other side of the looming, dark walls were children of various ages. At this time, they all huddled in their cold beds, praying that the night wouldn't end, or that the shadows that interrupted the light would go away.

In one particularly dark room, isolated from the rest of the sleeping chambers, a boy of sixteen sat on the dirty, stone floor. He waited quietly and patiently, staring at the door expectantly.

Finally, the door opened and a small girl stepped into the room. "Lian?" she asked softly, quietly shutting the door behind her.

The boy nodded, then gestured at the floor.

Understanding, the girl sat down to his right. She opened her mouth to ask something else, but at the sight of the boy's solemn face, she closed it and joined him in staring intently at the door.

Soon, one by one, more joined them. They all took their places, sitting in the positions they were used to. A whole circle was made, with one empty space. Some of the kids gave uncertain or sad glances at the the empty spot, and some looked around at the door, as if expecting the last person to show up.

The first boy waited a few seconds before clearing his throat to capture the attention of the silent group.

"Marv will not be joining us," he said softly. "The directors have decided that they've had enough."

Some of the kids sighed, others blinked rapidly. The rest just stared at the boy expectantly.

"I know some of you at this point will want to give up," he continued. "That's fine with me. If you're not going to stick with me, you should leave now."

A couple of the them looked at each other hesitantly, but none made a move to leave.

The girl who sat next to the boy looked up at him, but he did not return her gaze.

"By staying, you should know what it means," the boy said. "If you stay, you acknowledge that, at some point, you too will be elected leader, and thus you too will be taken by the directors. By staying, you are shortening your life."

There was uncomfortable fidgeting, but all of them still stayed. Finally, the boy looked back at the girl.

"I don't know how long I have with you," the boy said. "But I hope it will enough time for Hara to train her successor. She has chosen Tiat."

There were murmurs of congratulations and whispers of good luck. But it quickly died down and everyone looked back to their leader.

"Tiat," the boy said, looking over to where Tiat sat and narrowing his eyes, "do not take this lightly. After I have gone, you will choose someone who will be leader after you. You will become Hara's right hand, and learn from her all her ways, just as I have taught her. You will pick up where she leaves off, when it is her time. By becoming Hara's right hand, you must never go against her word, and the code of the Rebellion. You promise to keep going, even when all seems lost, and to support Hara in her times of trouble. Is this understood?"

Tiat stared steadily back at his leader before nodding.

As if lost in his thoughts, the leader fell silent.

Hara waited a few seconds before saying quietly, "Lian?"

Lian blinked and looked at her.

"Is that all?" she asked.

"Almost," Lian answered. "Remember pay no heed to their lies. The day you agree with them is the day they'll use you. And once they use you, we'll never see you again. You will have no chance to come back." He paused, then quoted the saying that the first leader had come up with; "Our parents didn't die just to have us become prisoners."

"We will wait for the two o'clock bell before we leave," Hara said. "Some of you have reported that the directors have been wondering around later recently, and so the midnight bell is not safe. I know," she said, holding up a hand to stop the protest, "it's a lot of time. What I suggest for our leader to do during this wait is to set up a watch while others rest, so you will not lose a lot of sleep while you all wait." She looked to Lian for confirmation.

Lian nodded. "I will start the first watch. I will wake you, Tiat, when it is your turn. Everyone, try to make yourselves as comfortable as possible. I would not suggest staying up and talking, because you will be tired in the morning. And we all know what that means."

There was a murmur of agreement before the kids started searching for places in the dirty room to sleep. Fifteen minutes later, the only sound was of breathing, and the only ones still awake were the leader, his right hand and her successor.

"There a reason you didn't put me on watch?" Hara said, turning to Lian.

"I knew it'd be pointless; you'd stay up anyways," Lian said simply.

Hara sighed, then turned to Tiat. "Are you ready for this?"

The twelve year old thought about it for a second. "I'm not quite sure," he replied. "I mean, I knew this was going to happen to me sometime, but I didn't know when. I didn't think now." He paused for a second. "Why me, Hara?"

"Because I know I can rely on you," Hara answered. "You've been helping me of your own accord ever since we got here. Of course I'd choose you."

Tiat nodded, satisfied with this answer. Then he got up and searched for some place to lie down.

Hara and Lian watched him before going into their own conversation.

"Leader already," Hara sighed. "Wasn't it three months ago when Marv was selected as the right hand's successor?"

"Four," Lian corrected, "but that's still a short time."

"The leader seems to stick around for shorter and shorter periods of time," Hara noted.

"It's because the directors just really don't want to deal with them," Lian replied. "Perhaps in only a few more years, everyone in the Orph will be what the directors want them to be."

Hara sighed again. "Lian, aren't you worried? Marv lasted only a month. How long will you last?"

Lian shrugged. "From the time Marv choose me, I decided not to worry. There's no point. They will get me on day, and there's no way around that fact unless a miracle happens. I don't care if it's even tomorrow. But I do resolve to give them the biggest fights they've ever had."

"Isn't that the hope of all the leaders?" Hara questioned.

"Riley didn't."

Hara bit her lip, remembering the girl who gave up only two weeks after she was made leader. Her right hand was extremely embarrassed and tried to compensate, but ended up overdoing it. He last only a day longer than Riley.

"You won't try to overdo it, will you?" Hara whispered.

Lian shook his head. "I'll try not to. But I will make sure I get my point across. The directors need to know that they don't own us, no matter how much they like to believe that."

"I guess that's the best I can get out of you," Hara sighed heavily. She looked over to Tiat, who was now sleeping. "I just hope Tiat can handle all this. I mean, he's still rather young, and this is no small task ahead of him."

"When the war started, we were all given heavy burdens," Lian said darkly. "I don't care who's how old; everyone's got to do their part now. We don't have the luxury of taking our time to grow up. We're already grown up."

Hara gave him a sad look.

"Hara . . . It's not my fault the war started."

"No. But it still doesn't make me not wish it never happened."

This time Lian sighed. After that there was silence.

"Sunli had often dreamed that her aunt and uncle would notice that she disappeared and come and save her," Hara said after a few minutes.

"Who didn't have a similar dream?" Lian murmured. "We all hoped that we could be saved; we just gave up on those dreams when we were hit with reality."

Hara closed her eyes in pain.

"Please don't cry," Lian begged softly.

"I won't."

They sat again in silence, not even flinching when the midnight struck its fifteen tones. Only after the one o'clock bell did Lian rise from his place and wake Tiat for the watch.

Knocking down an empty cup over and over again at the breakfast table is usually a sign of boredom, most often occurring after breakfast is consumed. However, at Lian's table, breakfast was left untouched and a battered cup was being used for a game. And it involved being knocked down over and over again.

The directors couldn't fault them for knocking it down- they thought it for the most part harmless. And also, they could not prove that it was on purpose. They did not know the intention of knocking it down. It never even crossed their minds that the Rebellion was even capable of creating a secret communication with something so trivial.

The orphans of the Orph were not allowed to talk around the directors. The directors hoped that this would keep the Rebellion from progressing. The Rebellion got around it by many different ways- a sign language, tapping or knocking, or even coughing or sneezing. But something like this could not escape the notice of the directors for five years, and so was stopped whenever it was seen being done. And thus the creation of the game of knocking the cup down came about.

Many of the Rebellion had complained at night meetings about the complexity of the game, and had often compared it to the near impossible language of the race of Angels.

But as difficult as it was, it proved to be more than worth it, Lian reflected as he watched Jaan, a member of the Rebellion, slice the cup with the side of her hand, catching it in such a way that the cup landed upside down.

Jaan had just expressed her concern of Lian's plan. She had brought to him news of three orphans being taken that past week. Three experiments that would never be seen again. And Lian knew that, with the directors being on a roll, his plan could very well get him captured.

Lian looked up at Jaan's worried face with a raised eyebrow. His lack of concern obviously worried her more, as the lines in her face deepened. Hara shifted uncomfortably next to him, wondering whether or not she should side with Jaan or Lian. Tiat stared steadily at the cup, as if expecting it to start talking.

Finally, Lian shook his head, telling Jaan that he would not back down from his plan. It was too late to go back, he figured.

Before Jaan reply via cup, an alarm blared through the entire mess hall. Jaan's eyes widened and she shook her head violently at Lian as they all stood. The only response Lian gave her was lightly brushing his lips with a finger, subtly reminding that she could get punished for obvious communication.

The directors called for everyone to assemble outside. Lian flashed Hara a look and said in a voice barely heard over the noise, "I'll see you later, then."

"As long as we see you," Jaan snapped.

Lian shook his head before taking off, ready to set his plan in motion.

All the orphans were being taken outside for the first time in two years. After a particularly nasty so-called accident that Secret, a leader of the Rebellion, had set up, the directors decided that it was too dangerous to let the orphans out. But something, perhaps the defeat of Marv, or the fact that they had taken three more orphans, had made them confident enough to let the orphans out again.

While Lian's plan would definitely get rid of this privilege, few could complain. The outdoors proved to be no friend of the orphans, as it only meant harder work before they were taken. And as the castle was riddled with vines and weeds, to stay indoors was something for which all the orphans should be grateful.

Deln, Marv's predecessor, was one of the most cunning and mischevious leaders, second after Secret. She had explored the entire castle (with or without permission) and had begun to devise a plan that would once and for all destroy the Orph. During this time, she had forced both Marv and Lian to memorize the map of cracks that was supposed to be the castle. She had predicted that directors would take her before she could start anything drastic, and wished to pass her knowledge down the next leaders. And she was right; the directors took her before disaster fell. Unfortunately for the Rebellion, it was after she had announced to Marv and Lian that she had found the initial source of the directors' "power."

Lian had never found out from Deln what that power was, but with his plan, he was determined to find out. The directors kept a computer in a secret chamber off in the servant's wing of the castle. The computer, Deln had told Lian, held every record of information in the Orph. It was what kept the experiments running, it told the directors certain patterns in the Rebellion, so they always knew who the next leader was, and it could possibly hold the power that Deln had eluded to.

It also controlled the directors' radios. A small detail, but it was always the small details the Rebellion attached to.

Lian followed the crowd of orphans, keeping himself on the edge. He was aware of the directors, who were watching every move of the orphans, but was not bothered by it. Before he could come near the giant oak doors, a small scuffle broke out in the middle of the crowd. Most of the directors' attention went immediately to the scuffle while the rest hurried to get the orphans not involved outside. However, none of them spared Lian a second glance as he slipped off towards the servant's wing.

Once Lian was out of sight of the entrance hall, he turned into a narrow hallway. Keeping his back to the wall, he crept sideways, pausing every once in a while to listen for any oncoming footsteps. In the middle of the hall, he stopped completely, running a hand over the dirty bricks. Finding a small indent, he pressed his hand on it, completely flat. The section of the wall started turning, scraping against the floor and leaving small scrape marks. Lian moved with the wall, bracing himself for a fight against at least four directors. What hit him instead was the stench of old coffee and molding garbage. Trying his best not to gag, he looked around, seeing no directors. The only things that occupied the small square room were an office chair and a long desk that spanned the side of the opposite wall, holding a very bulky computer. The rest of the room was nondescript; gray stone walls with cracks running up and down like spiderwebs.

Holding his breath, Lian crossed the room in two steps. He settled himself in the chair, pulling the keyboard toward him and removing from keys what might have been an orange peel. At the stroke of a key, the moniter beeped and flashed to life. Whoever had used the computer last had not thought to close what he was on, because a list of names and descriptions greeted Lian. He was about to close it out and search for the controls to the radios when he spotted a familiar name on the list. Marv. His heart a little faster, he read the description next to it.

Experiment 562
Attempt at genetic mutation. Genes were not compatible. Perished. Body destroyed.

Horrified, and not quite sure why he was doing it, Lian looked at some of the other descriptions. Attempt at mind manipulation. Another attempt at genetic mutation. Attempt at elemental control. Another attempt at elemental control. Attempt at time control. Another attempt at genetic mutation. Another attempt at mind manipulation. Mind could not function. Genes were not compatible. Veins burst. Aged quickly. Perished. Body destroyed.

Thoroughly sickened, Lian closed out of the window and leaned forward, trying not to inhale the ripe odor lest it made him sicker. So that was what happened. That was why no one ever returned. He knew the taken orphans were used for experiments, but this wasn't what he imagined, or wanted to imagine. Even though the past attempts had proven that the experiments would not work, the directors continued, killing more and more orphans by the year. And by what was listed, the orphans' deaths were by no means merciful. And if they survived, well, Lian did not want to experience the wonders of having a mind that would not function.

In an effort to calm his racing heart, Lian took a deep breath and almost instantly regretted. The smell of the room entered his lungs, churning his already ill stomach. Biting his lip, he looked up shakily, knowing that he had to complete his mission. Searching around the computer, he finally found the controls to the radios. The controls, he found, was a program that would talk to the holders of the radios, making the computer the base radio. So a robotic voice that issued from the radio would instantly tell the holder that it was the boss speaking.

Slowly filling with a righteous anger, Lian started randomly choosing radios and sent them sensible orders at first, such as returning the orphans to the castle, or having them take a break. For some reason, the directors didn't argue, but then again, it was probably because whoever was at the computer was the one in charge. But as Lian's anger grew, the orders he gave out became less rational. Had Lian been not quite so angry, he would've known such reckless behavior would get him caught. But at this point he did not care and there was a part of him that actually wanted the directors to find him.

And find him they did. Only minutes after issuing the last radio an order to release all the orphans, five directors burst into the small room.

And Lian was ready. Dodging the first one that lunged at him, he rushed at the quickly closing wall.

"Stop!" cried one of the directors, as if actually believing that Lian would obey.

The other three launched themselves at him. He managed to dodge two, but the third caught his arms. His captor leered at him with yellow decaying teeth before looking up.

"Well, that was certainly easy," he commented.

The first director glared at him. "So you've got 'im. Now what?"

Lian's captor shrugged. "Can't exactly take him in; we've too many as it is."

"What, you haven't murdered them yet?" Lian snapped.

All of the directors' heads went to him.

"He knows," the first director said darkly. "We've got no choice now.

His captor nodded. "Let's go." He tugged on Lian's wrists, and despite Lian's efforts to stay where he was, he was dragged out of the room.

When they entered the hallway, they were greeted by an adult who obviously was no director. He was dressed up in a fancy suit, his dark hair was oiled and slicked back, and when he spoke, his voice was sharp, clearly used to being in charge.

"Is this the troublemaker?" he asked, looking in disgust at Lian, who was struggling in vain to release the captor's iron grip on his wrists.

" 'Fraid so," one of the directors replied.

"Well, then, get him out of here," the man said, his look of disgust deepening. "Send him back with the rest of the vermin."

"Um . . . ." Lian's captor hesitated. "Actually, he's found the files. Y'know, the ones about the operation?"

The man looked at him with an eyebrow raised, his face a mix of shock and anger. "He what?! If that is the case, get him to the Court immediately. I will contact the president."

Lian stopped his struggling long enough to glare at the man. "The president? You mean there's actually order here? Could've fooled me."

"Silence," the man snapped. Snarling at the directors, he said, "What are you waiting for? Go on already!"

Lian opened his mouth to say something else when he heard the snap of a cloth being whipped through the air. Looking around, he saw one of the directors approach him with a black strip of fabric.

"Hold still," the director gripping him sneered.

The cloth was tied around Lian's eyes. He instantly tensed up, not sure what they were going to do with him. When he felt two hands grip his arms, he flinched, expecting to be hit. But instead, they dragged him forward.

"We'd prefer our victims not know where they're headed," he heard a voice next to his ear say. "Don't worry; it's a short walk."

Lian tried fighting, or even stalling, but the hands were like a noose. Every time he fought, the hands tightened their grip. After about ten minutes of his tug-of-war game, he tired and let himself be dragged along.

"Only a week this one lasted," one of the directors commented. "That's gotta be a whole new record. Maybe the next one will only last a day?"

Lian bit back a growl, knowing perfectly well the director was grinning.

"I wouldn't underestimate the Rebellion if I were you," Lian retorted.

"Ah, shut up!" the director snapped. "No one asked for your opinion."

After a minute, the directors started conversing Lian's fate, guessing as to what might happen to him. Lian got the feeling that this was the only entertainment they got out of life, because their suggestions became even more ridiculous by the second. He would've felt sorry for them, had not their entertainment comprised of only torture.

While he was listening to the directors wondering whether or not the experiments would turn him into a ferret and expressing their joy on receiving him as pet if that did happen, he heard the sound of a door being opened and warm air hit the part of his face that was uncovered.

"Almost there," one of them muttered.

Lian felt the grip on his arms relaxing. Lian counted to ten before bolting, breaking free from the surprised directors. As he was sprinting, he tugged off the blind and immediately veered left to avoid crashing into a wall that appeared. He could hear the yells of his chasers, but he knew he had gotten too much of a head start for them to be considered an immediate threat.

The land that he was racing across was hilly, taking up a good deal of his energy. Adding that to the heat and the fact that he had used a portion of his energy fighting the directors, Lian realized that it was only pure adrenaline that drove him forward. As he climbed a particularly steep hill, he thought he heard music, but a distant call pushed that out of his mind.

He reached the top and collapsed, praying that his chaser wouldn't find him. As he lay panting, he realized that the music he had heard only moments before was a lot clearer, and a lot harder to ignore. Not that he wanted to ignore it; the melody was beautiful, weaving a wordless story. It seemed to dance with the wind, intent on carrying its story across the hills.

Lian pushed himself up and looked around. Just as the last few notes were played, he saw her. A tall, willowy girl with long, flowing brown hair. She was playing a violin, her eyes closed and a faint smile playing with her lips. When she had finished, she looked up and saw Lian. Her round eyes widened with surprise.

"Oh," she remarked. "You're normal."

"Um, who are you?" Lian asked, frowning in confusion.

She tossed her hair and considered him for a second. "You're normal. What are you doing here?" She motioned to the land around her with her bow.

Lian cocked his head. "Does . . . that matter?"

She nodded.

"I was running," he answered.

She gave him a startled look. "From whom?"

"Do you need specific names?" Lian asked. "Can you please tell me who you are now?"

She hesitated. "Willow," she replied. "And who are you?"

"Lian," he said, standing up. "I don't suppose you could tell me the way back to the Orph, now could you?"

"I do." She blinked at him.

Lian waited a minute before saying, "So . . . where do I go?"

"Why?" Willow was giving him a look that clearly said she didn't understand.

"Because I don't want the directors to catch me, and they'll never think to find me back at the Orph," Lian said, his patience waning.

This information shocked her. She stared at him with her mouth slightly open. "Why?"

Lian sighed, exasperated. "Because I really don't want to be caught."

"Why not?"

He looked up and saw that she had a troubled expression on her face.

"Why would I want to be?" he challenged.

"I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't," she said.

Lian gave her a half glare while trying to figure out what was going on. It was possible that she was joking, but then the look she was giving him was of pure innocence. "Just who exactly are you?"

"I'm Willow," she answered. "I'm a Special. I was discovered by the directors, and they found that I am Special." She tilted her head and widened her eyes. "That's what the directors."

"Sorry," Lian said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "I was under the impression all the directors did was to make your life as miserable as possible before they took you away to use you as a lab rat."

Willow stepped back, her face pale. "That's a lie!" she gasped. "The directors would never do anything to hurt anyone!"

"Are you an Orpht?" Lian asked.

"A what?" She frowned, as if she wasn't quite sure whether or not she should take it as an insult.

"An Orpht," he repeated. "Some who's insanely loyal to the directors."

"Then I suppose so," she said, lifting her chain defiantly. "And apparently you don't think much of an Orpht, so what would that make you?"

"Not even the directors think much of the Orphts," he muttered. To Willow, he said, "You're right, I don't. I'm the leader of the Rebellion."

"Oh, that," she said drily. "You're one of them."

"Yes, yes I am," Lian snapped. "Got a problem with that?"

"I'd feel sorry for you, but I can't spare the energy," Willow retorted. "Had it been anyone else, I'm sure they'd have more innocence than you, and would realize rather quickly that they're in the wrong. The lies the Rebellion has been spreading are nothing more than lies, but of course you wouldn't listen to what the directors are really trying to do."

"Just how long have you been in the Orph?" he questioned. "Five seconds? I'd guarantee that if you spent at least five minutes in there, you'd realize that it's not all fun and games."

"I'm not saying it's fun and games," she replied heatedly. "But the directors have a mission. Do you know the sacrifices they have had to make your sake?"

"Um . . . I'm guessing one sacrifice is having to spend the day with us annoying orphans?" he surmised.

Willow glared fiercely at him. "You're impossible. I don't want to waste my breath on the likes of you." She swung the violin back into place under her chin and started playing a fast tune, an angry, frustrated melody. Despite the fact that Lian was still angry with her, he had to admit that she was an admirable violinist, even with his little knowledge of music.

"I'll be going now," he said, turning away. He refused to stay and listen to her music. "Say hello to your director pals for me, why don't you?"

He was starting to walk off when he heard her stop her playing suddenly. He half expected her to call out to him, but instead she called, "Secret!"

He looked back at her, confused. But he saw that she was not looking at him, but at something -or someone- on her left. Twisting around, he found who she was looking at.

Lian considered himself more on the tall side, but with one look at the newcomer, he felt short. The newcomer also had raven hair that swept his shoulders, two of his locks braided. His eyes were a deep green and slightly slanted. His face was smooth, his skin was pale and his build was lithe. Lian instantly knew he was not from the Jayce Islands. He was definitely an Elf/Human hybrid, from the country Lishea. What he was doing on the Jayce Islands, Lian could only guess.

"Secret!" Willow cried again, dropping her instrument and running up to the stranger. "You came!" she said, wrapping her arms around one of his. She glanced at Lian and frowned. "He says he's the leader of the Rebellion. He won't listen to what I tried to tell him. He also says he's running from the directors, even though there's no reason to." She looked up imploringly at the stranger. "Maybe you could convince him?"

Lian tensed. "I don't need convincing, thank you," he said coldly. "I happen to like the way I think. I don't care if the directors are using these experiments to help cure the world of black fever, I don't like them and I won't ever like them."

The stranger looked from Willow to Lian, then from Lian to Willow, then back from Willow to Lian. "I'm sorry," he said, his voice light and quiet. "I seem to have missed the part where I learn your name and why you're out here."

"Lian," he replied stiffly. "And I'm here because I was trying to escape the directors. Even if the Orpht here thinks that I should let myself be caught, I have no desire in becoming the directors' pet ferret."

"Well then, hello," the stranger greeted, smiling in amusement. "Name's Secret, and I'm out here because Willow had asked me to come out."

Lian paused. "Secret? You mean- never mind." He turned away.

"The Rebellion leader? That's me," Secret said, accurately guessing Lian's question.

"Don't tell me you've gone Orpht," Lian hissed.

Secret shrugged. "You trying to get back to the Orph? I can show you the way." He turned to Willow. "I apologize, but it will give you a few minutes to practice." Turning back to Lian, he said, "Follow me, we can talk on the way."

Willow gave Secret an uncertain look, but picked up her violin and started playing again. Secret walked by Lian, motioning that he should follow him. Lian followed, but reluctantly.

When they had reached the bottom of the hill, Lian snapped at Secret, "Well, isn't this just great. One of the leaders has turned into an Orpht. But I guess some credit has to be given to you, as you obviously haven't died through the experiments."

"That's because they worked with me," Secret said calmly, not at all fazed by Lian's harshness. "And then everything was explained to me."

"Oh, and I'm sure they've given you a perfect reason why they've kidnapped you," Lian growled.

"Things made a little more sense," Secret answered. "So I decided to work with them. No, let me talk," he added, holding up a hand to silence Lian. "Perhaps things will become clear to you then. When I was taken and they brought me to the lab, or the Court, as they call it, I thought I was done for. I realized then and there that no one survived and being taken was a synonym for execution. Miraculously, something worked out and I am what I am now. I was angry at first. I could barely control myself, and I felt more of a pet than anything else. But then I met Willow. She was like me, in a way."

"Special?" Lian said.

Secret nodded. "That's the president's word for it. Special, he'd tell me, day after day. Special, that's what I was. Then Willow told me her story. How she'd been one of the very first ones taken. How the president treated her like a daughter. And that's when everything started clicking. I felt like a pet because I wanted to. Not because they were treating me that way. I started thinking, is that the same way with the Rebellion? Is it because we want to feel oppressed that we actually are? When I started acting more like Willow, I found that my life was a lot better. I regained more control over myself. I breathed freely."

Lian halted and so did Secret.

"So you were brainwashed?" Lian challenged.

"Brainwashed?" Secret said with a laugh. "Oh, no. This was my choice. And it actually helped me. I was no longer bitter. And it was actually because of Willow."

Lian glared at Secret. "What are you saying?"

"I'm saying that Willow helped me," Secret said. "I guess you could say she even saved my life."

"That seems to be a round-about way of saying that, while at the same time being very vague," Lian commented stiffly.

"I guess it is," Secret replied with an apologetic shrug and a small smile. "But because she saved me, I'm doing everything I can to save her. Do you understand?"

Lian narrowed his eyes. "I have a feeling you're trying to say something."

"Perhaps I am," Secret said. "Maybe I haven't found the words to say it."

He started walking again, with Lian trailing. Minutes later, the Orph came into view.

"Do you know what the directors will do to you when they catch you?" Secret asked.

Lian nodded. "Execution. I found out more about the experiments than I should've."

"Then, with your current mindset, you should be careful getting in and find some place where they won't ever find you," Secret said, stating the obvious.

"I wouldn't worry," Lian said, unconcerned. "Deln taught me everything she knew; and the castle was part of it." He looked at Secret sharply. "You're going to tell the president everything, aren't you?"

"Maybe," Secret replied with another shrug. He returned Lian's gaze with an undefinable look. "I suggest you look at this whole thing through different eyes. It might give you a different . . . power."

Lian opened his mouth in protest.

"Well it was a pleasure to meet you," Secret said cutting off Lian and tilting his head in a polite bow. "I wish you didn't disagree with me or Willow. She's become my only friend, you see."

With that, Secret turned around and left, leaving Lian in his confused thoughts.

"Lian!" Hara cried happily and immediately rushing at him to hug him. "I thought for certain that you'd be caught! I was so worried!"

Lian gave a short laugh. "I'm fine, for the most part. But I'm afraid I can't join like I used to."

Hara pulled away, frowning. "What do you mean?" she asked.

"Wait until everyone arrives," he said. "There's a lot to discuss."

Biting her lip, she sat back.

Finally the dirty room was filled. Everyone was talking at once, reporting their side of the story, exclaiming that they were so happy that Lian was still with them and laughing at the reactions of the directors. Lian cleared his throat and instantly the room went quiet, all waiting excitedly to hear what Lian had to say. They were certain that it would be a victory speech. Instead, Lian greeted them all with a faint smile.

"Well, what a fine mess I've gotten myself into," he said, trying to keep his voice light. There were some titters. "Pulling a stunt like, it definitely showed them, didn't it?" There were a few muffled cheers. "But it had its price." He swallowed. "I didn't make it out in time. Yes, normally they would just let me go. After all, they had just taken some in. But, they can't afford to. If they see my face again, I'll be their next victim." He paused, and realized that the room was deathly silent. He continued. "I found out about something I shouldn't have, and so now I'm on their list. I found out what was going on with the experiments, and what was the end result. And if they found out who I've met, they'll have even more reason to chase me down."

Hara inhaled sharply, but Lian didn't look at her. He concentrated on the floor, wondering if he should reveal everything, or keep it secret. He could feel everyone looking at him expectantly, waiting for him to expound on his discoveries.

Making up his mind, he said, "The experiments appear to be only for certain people, but they don't seem to know who those certain people are. For the unlucky, they experienced . . . . various things. They ended up being destroyed." He squeezed his eyes shut before saying, "Marv was one of the unlucky."

Gasps surrounded him and everyone started talking at once.

Tiat's voice cut through the noise. "Who are the people you mentioned?"

Lian looked up at him. "The only fortunate ones. Willow and Secret."

"Secret being-?" Hara began.

Lian nodded. "The former Rebellion leader. But don't get your hopes up. Secret's sided with the Orph."

Immediately there shouts of protest and disapproval. Some stated that Lian was lying, that he was mistaken. Lian was forced to end the clamor with a piercing whistle.

"Do you want to be caught?" he demanded. There was a dead silence. "But, yes, Secret's no longer on our side. And now we know the results of the experiments."

"But we knew that already, didn't we?" one of them challenged. "They weren't coming back, so there was really no other answer."

"Willow and Secret didn't come back to the Orph, now did they?" Lian shot back. "We didn't know anything, other than the ones taken were used for experiments. For all we knew, they took more because someone had finally died."

"But, if only two have worked, why don't they take us all in?" another questioned, looking slightly worried.

Lian shook his head. "Who knows, maybe it takes some before the side effects, like veins being burst, to show."

There more gasps, more protests.

"What do you mean, veins being burst?"

"What actually happens?"

"Enough!" Lian snapped, feeling his face grow hot and wishing he hadn't said anything.

"Does Secret know about this, that's the question," someone muttered.

"I have a feeling he does," Lian said. "But now, he doesn't really care. To him, they're just orphans who weren't 'Special'."

"Lian," Hara said suddenly, as if something had just occurred to her. "Why don't the directors want us to know what happens after the experiments? I mean, we already know they don't come back, so why not just come out with it and admit that they've all died?"

Lian frowned in confusion. "You're right, it doesn't make that much sense. Unless they live in this land where they think that we're all innocent. I guess with the ambiguity, there's less chance of rioting. Also, if the Orphts knew, they'd also join the Rebellion."

"Or go Secret's route?" Tiat suggested.

"I doubt it," Lian answered. "Secret has already gone through the experiments. Now that he know he's not going to die, he can live confidently. If the Orphts knew that it more than likely that they'd die and they didn't join the Rebellion, they'd act more like Willow. She was convinced that what I told her was a lie. She seemed to think that the Orpht was one big, happy place with the directors completing their life-long mission of saving the world or something." He shook his head. "She was completely insane."

"I'm surprised she didn't turn you in," Hara said.

"She pretty much didn't want anything to do with me when she learned I was part of the Rebellion," Lian explained. "Though she did try to get Secret to convert me. Anyways, it's getting late and unless there's anything else, we should be getting back."

There was a murmur of consent and the Rebellion started to leave.

Taking Lian's hand, Hara whispered, "I'm glad you didn't listen to Secret, then."