My Lifeblood | Teen Ink

My Lifeblood

July 23, 2013
By MissionaryKid BRONZE, Mitchell, Other
More by this author
MissionaryKid BRONZE, Mitchell, Other
4 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Peace is a sacrifice of Trust"


A thundering roar shook the sky and earth. Strange yellow flashes lit up the stormy night. There I stood trembling in the cold rain staring in confusion at the sky. I did not know what those flashes were or those deep mournful rumblings. It had been happening very often in the last nine months since Lance had revealed that he was Priest. I had not seen him since that horrible day when he unveiled himself for what he really was, a monster.
I had run away, blind with terror, crashing through the underbrush of the forest. I fell many times as tears streaked down my scratched and dirt stained cheeks. That was the first night the unusual storm came and I was lost and alone in the forest, screaming with each thundering roar. Even the Wind Maidens were unsure of what it was and why it occurred like this. The first few times the Wind Maidens had not dared to come from their hiding places. Hannah was the one that convinced us all that there was nothing to hide from, soon it would come as no surprise to us, soon it would be just a part of everyday life.
Bavol found me that night with the help of Sabir and my unique connection; he could sense where I was. Bavol carried me back to the Palace and left me in capable hands. I was not sick, I was simply terrified, and even after 9 months that terror was just as fresh as it had been the day it began.

For me, I could not get used to the storm. Each time I heard the rumbling it reminded me of Merlin’s mighty, ground shaking roars. And each time the bright yellow flashes that I call lightning hit, I was reminded of the rare flash of power and fury in Lance’s eyes. Now, I was standing out in the rain at midnight trying to see what caused it. All other occasions I ran and hid. But I had decided I must get used to it and might as well investigate what caused it.

Sabir stood beside me shivering and glaring at me with his bright yellow eyes, “Willow, you are not going to find anything by just standing here. You are going to be sick and dead within a month if you keep this up!”

I frowned, “There’s a reason for each rumble, each roar, some are filled with agony, some are filled with triumph. There’s terror in each lightning strike, as well as fear, rage, and regret. Why do such emotions flow through these strange… things? Are they signs? Are they meant to bring pain to all? My heart trembles at each roar of the sky. How is that? At times I believe this” I said motioning towards the angry clouds, “to be simply nature… but no, it is far more.”

Sabir threw me a look of disgust, “Well, my heart certainly does not tremble. For goodness sake, forget it and stop letting your imagination run away with you! I’ll say that it only brings you pain because your heart is still very, very tender and weak from your last encounter with Lance.”

“Do not use that name!” I shouted telepathically. This was about the fourth time I had told him, “He is no longer Lance. He is Priest, a cursed monster of destruction.”

“He is no different then what he used to be besides the outward appearance. And I thought such things did not matter when it came to love. Obviously it never was true love or else you would have accepted him for what he was and is.”

That stung but I had my excuses, “Have you not heard the legends of Priest? He killed thousands and thousands of Wind Beings and he probably killed the elves too, despite what Lance or Priest said previously. He probably only said that to me to make me think more highly of him then I ought. He is the only one who could’ve done it.”

Sabir turned his back on me and started back towards the palace, “You are fooling yourself Willow. What Lance had for you was true love and no monster that you described could feel such a thing, therefore he is not a monster. If you would only open your eyes! Sometimes I still think that Hurricane did succeed in blinding you, you do not hold the world in the same perspective as you used to. You used to see it with non-judging eyes but now you make your accusations without reason.”

“I HAVE REASON!” I shouted out loud. Just then the thunder shook the whole earth. I trembled and hurried after Sabir, “He is a monster. Sabir why can you not see through my perspective? Why can you not see the truth?”

“Because your perspective is blurred and distorted, what you see is a lie. Willow, wake up! You are only using his appearance as an excuse to turn from him and flee back to Hurricane. You never wanted him. Willow you are as changing as the sea. The path that you are choosing is twisted but the easiest path you can see. It is wrong and sick!”

I felt like pouting, screaming, and stomping like a little child. I was so frustrated I thought my temper was going to blow. I felt like my reasons were perfectly reasonable. I mean, how could anyone love a monster with flames for hair and colorless eyes and not to mention the fact that he’s a giant? I cursed his name under my breath. The most monstrous thunder shook the whole earth and lightning struck a tree nearby. I jumped and stumbled over uneven ground. I turned to the sky, “Oh so you’re on his side too?! Well guess what? I shall never be!” I stormed into the castle, hair and clothes drenched. My hair hung in front of my face and water dripped down my nose. I blew my hair away and sighed loudly.

Just then Bavol the stable boy came around the corner. He took one look at me and his mouth fell open, “Willow is that you?”

I was in my drenched night gown and robe, both of which were clinging to my body. My face turned the darkest shade of red, “Hello Bavol.”

Bavol suddenly burst into laughter, “You do not look too happy. But, may I inquire as to why you were out in the pouring rain with merely your night gown on?” He took off his cloak and handed it to me.
I wrapped it around my shoulders and held it tight, “I was trying to figure out where the thunder and those strange flashes I call lightning come from. I was also trying to be brave.” I said shame faced, “Lately I’ve been feeling very frightened and utterly confused.”
Bavol gazed at me sympathetically, “There is something going on is there not? I’ve seen that fear you speak of in your eyes. And I’ve also noticed that you keep far away from the fire place when it comes to balls and social events, even when you are cold and you’ve been keeping away from the forest. I have been very lonely on my horse rides. What do you fear Willow?”

I looked down at the ground. Bavol had become a very close friend in the past months of torment. He had encouraged me like no one else could. He seemed to always see past any of my pretenses and ask me questions that truly made me feel special. Steph of course was close but she never saw my pain and she believed me immediately when I told her that Lance had left me and was not coming back. She did not even care if I had a broken heart. She was still her chattering and charming self without a care in the world. Bavol on the other hand never believed me but never pressed me to tell what I would not. He could see that my heart was shattered and the small things he did such as send me chocolates, write me poems, and take me for walks in the gardens slowly stitched up my heart.
I was about to tell him it was nothing he needed to worry about but suddenly Sabir’s voice made me pause, “Tell him Willow. I think you need another opinion besides mine. You need to let your friends help you carry this burden.”

I frowned and debated whether I should speak up. I did not want to tell Bavol because if I told him, he would have to live with the same fear. Bavol watched me intently, “Willow?” Bavol’s eyes held so much worry, care, as well as abundant wisdom he would gladly share with me. His eyes did not suit his fifteen year old body, they were far too knowledgeable.

I sighed, “Bavol have you ever wondered what actually happened to Lance? Why he actually disappeared?”

Bavol put his arm around my shoulder and led me towards the door, “Let us go to the stables. I am afraid of prying ears and eyes.”

So he led me hastily through the court yard to the stable and out of the rain. I walked over to stroke Tashina’s soft coat. She watched me curiously, “What are you doing up so late?”

“I was curious about the storm.”

Tashina bobbed her head knowingly. She knew the story.

Bavol watched me cautiously, “I am listening, tell me all you feel you are ready to tell, I will ask no more of you.”

“Umm… Lance and I were engaged… the morning before he left. I didn’t see him for two weeks and then Hannah came to me telling me that he wanted to see me in the forest.” I shuddered remembering, “I found him easily although he was hidden in the shadows. I ran to him, filled with unexplainable joy that he had returned… he would not let me so much as touch him. I was confused and hurt thinking that maybe his feelings for me had changed. But nothing I felt then, was worse then what I experienced next. Finally he turned to face me.” The images of his blank eyes and flaming hair flashed through my mind. I felt the horror anew, “He was a… a monster.” I wrapped my arms around myself and I bit down hard on my lip to keep myself from crying, “His eyes…” A shiver ripped down my spine, I took in a ragged breath, “they were blank, white, pupil-less, and terrorizing! And his hair… it was flames, actual flames dancing around his pain stricken face.” A tear escaped from my eye, “He was and is not my Lance anymore… he is Priest, a murderer and a liar.”

Bavol put his lean arm around my shoulders for comfort, “How is he a murderer, Willow?”

I leaned against him for support, my legs threatened to give way underneath me, “He killed the elves, he left your mother to die, and he killed thousands of Wind Maidens. He never admitted it, he never told me, I had to find the truth all on my own.”

“Willow.” Bavol said very slowly and cautiously, “I think there is more to the story then you know. How do you know he killed the elves?”

I looked up, “He’s the only one with power over fire.”

Bavol gazed at me but his mind was elsewhere, “I do not think he is the same Priest.”

I stiffened and drew away from him, “How do you know this Bavol? You came up with this on your own? How can there be more then one Priest?”

“The first Priest married did he not? But, what happened? Why did he disappear when he had the whole world at his finger tips? I believe that he did have a child… and that child was Lance. Rumor is that Hannah is the mother, although at times I doubt it… she has never denied it or confirmed it. If the mother of Lance was a Wind Being, Lance would be less powerful than his father. But if his mother was human, he would be weaker too therefore unable to have the power to send fire to destroy the elves... The mix was perfect when it came to the first Priest… when you have a touch of human blood, it grants you the benefits of a heart, a soul, feelings, and understanding of things that Wind Beings cannot. Wind Being’s are soul-less, there is no heaven or hell for them… they fade into nothing. Yet being part Wind Being has advantages of its own. Priest had the powers and enchantments of a Wind Being. There must be a precise amount of Wind Being blood and Human blood in order to be extra powerful. With this mix of blood it is a powerful concoction but, it also requires a little destiny.

I stopped him, “Wind Beings? Soulless? Hannah seems to understand and feel just as much as I do.”

Bavol looked at the ground, “That is because Hannah is no normal Wind Being. She traded her humanity for an eternity of life and yet she did not loose her soul. I know not how it came to be but she fled from the pains of human life.”

I stared wide eyed, “I cannot believe this!

Bavol nodded, “This is all I have heard. Hannah does not tell her story freely. How old she is I do not know either. ”

“Poor Hannah!” I said shaking my head in disbelief, “There must be some dreadful reason for her secrets and mysterious life.”

“Yes… This was in the beginning times; Maybe since you are such a close and good friend you should inquire.”

“Of course. I will when I see her again.”

“But, back to my main point. Lance’s father could have easily been the one to kill the elves. I do not know why… I thought Hurricane would know but it seems as though he is just as much in the dark as anyone else is.” Bavol’s eyes searched mine, “Does this help Willow? Does this remove some of the guilt off of Lance’s back.”

I paused. Nothing could remove the horror. No act of kindness, no act of heroism could erase the past. I was living in the past. It was here, all around me, an obsession that tortured me, “No.” I said simply, “Priest is Priest; I think the two are one not separate people.”

“But that does not make sense! Think logically Willow! Lance was a child when this all happened.”

“He could have lied, Bavol! I’ve learnt that nothing logical is left in my world. I have already fulfilled much of my Prophesy, I have lived in utter blindness and confusion, thinking Lance was the one for me. I was fooling myself.”

“No! Willow, listen to me!” Bavol grabbed my shoulders, “You are being fooled right now.” His eyes bore into mine and I had to look away.

I shook my head. I knew what truth was even though everyone told me it was a lie. If they had only experienced what I had experienced, then they would see through my perspective, and understand what I now understood. I turned from Bavol and left the stables, determined to never change my mind. Bavol did not chase after me he let me go, recognizing the stubborn expression on my face. He knew me too well.

I walked idly through the halls not really sure where I was going until I wandered into my father’s room. He was not sleeping surprisingly. He was painting with frantic strokes, his eyes wide and alert. When I entered he whirled around and screeched in fear. Immediately I tried to shush him afraid that he would wake the entire palace, “Father! Shhh! Its me… Willow… your daughter.”

At the word ‘daughter’ he calmed down and peered at me curiously, “Dader? Oh…”

He smiled broadly and then turned back to his painting. I peeked around his shoulder and saw that he was painting a picture of a flame with a face blending into it. I frowned and looked closer. My father turned to me and smiled a smile of sick pleasure. The look in his eyes was haunting, as though he were possessed. I shuddered wondering why he was looking at me like that. I turned back to the picture. Suddenly I froze and a chill ripped through me. The man in the flame had blank eyes and a twisted, agonized expression on his face. I stumbled backwards screaming in terror, “Noooo!!!” I tore my eyes from the picture and fled blindly from the room, “How?” I asked myself, “How did he know? Has Priest possessed him?”
Tears were streaming down my face. I was so afraid, why did Priest have to torment me like this? He was killing me inside, I only wished it were on the outside as well. I could not live with those eyes peering into my mind’s eye and smiling with delight at my fear. My fingers were wrung into my hair and I nearly pulled it all out in my wild frenzy. I fled to my room and sunk to the floor wailing in agony.

Suddenly Sabir’s voice brought me back to sanity, “Willow? What is wrong?” I heard his soft pad of feet cross the room.

I turned to him, my eyes were wide and wild, “Can you not see? Do you not see these images haunting me? Killing me? I cannot live with this terror in each direction I look. His face is everywhere!”

Sabir rested his head on my lap, “I think you need to see him again Willow. It will do you good.”

“No!” I jerked away, “Sabir you do not understand. You cannot comprehend!”

“Yes I can.” Sabir raised his golden eyes to mine. They were soft and sad, “I feel every cut as deep as though it were my own. I fear him too. I have nightmares because of your horror. I see every image as though I had been there. Willow, I see your mind, I feel your pain. Do not think for one moment that I do not understand.”

“No.” I said replying in my mind, “You cannot. It is impossible… if you knew… if you understood then you would not tell me that I need to see him. You would flee just as desperately as I am fleeing. I need to leave Sabir. I need to find someone who can protect me, who will share my views and understand. I cannot make it on my own.”

Sabir sighed and put his head back down. He did not say anymore that night he merely comforted me with his presence. I could not have asked for more. Sabir was the dearest friend to me even though he did not fully understand me. I cried myself to sleep on the floor in my damp night gown.

Dawn broke. The colors of the morning sun roused me from my grief and reminded me that I needed to keep on going with life. I pushed myself up from my uncomfortable position on the floor. Sabir raised his head and yawned showing off his sharp teeth. I stroked his head and smiled weakly, “Time to get up.”

Sabir stood up and shook his head, “I’m so tired. Please… don’t make us go out into another storm until I regain the sleep I lost last night. Agreed?”

I smiled and stood, “Agreed.” I glanced at myself in the mirror and grunted. I looked terrible. My hair was kinked and sticking out at weird angles. I sighed and ran my fingers through the tangle. My eyes were bloodshot and dark circles presented themselves very obviously. I grabbed my brush and worked through my knotty hair. Finally after much work, I was ready for the day.

Sabir went back to sleep telling me mentally, “I do not think you will need my protection today. I am tired but I shall find you when I am entirely rested.”

I went down to the kitchen and made Princess Stephanie’s breakfast with the cook. She chattered on and on about her children and how big they were getting. I smiled and nodded not really listening to what she said.

While I was there Elisha and Bavol came in for their breakfast. They were both laughing heartily about something or other, I was not entirely sure. They greeted me full of smiles and energy. It was somewhat contagious… I actually felt happy for a moment.

Elisha was talking about the Prince becoming King soon, “The King is so old he cannot even talk straight, never mind rule the kingdom. The Prince already has to do nearly everything for him. Everyone is expecting the King to die soon, he’s had a long and prosperous life and I think it is time for him to move on. I do not know if the Prince will be as good a King as his father was. I doubt anybody could be as good… but we shall have to except whatever comes. I am somewhat afraid.”

Bavol nodded in agreement, “The Prince does have quite a few prejudice views on the poor… his father was just. Who knows what will happen. What do you think Willow?” He asked directing his intense gaze towards me.

I was surprised that he asked my opinion. Usually women’s views on politics were not asked, “I think the Prince will do his best and that is all we can ask for. Besides, I think the Princess will help ease his prejudice against the poor. She is very compassionate for them.” I picked up the tray that I was to bring to the Princess and left the kitchen.

As I walked down the hall, I could hear Elisha ask, “What is ailing that girl? She has a wild glint in her eyes and those dark circles tell me that she has not been sleeping well. What is haunting her?”

I paused for Bavol’s response, “I know not.” He said his voice soft and concerned.

I rolled my eyes. I wished people would stop worrying about me. The kind words and glances were getting on my nerves… I needed no compassion only their normal friendship. But no, they would never treat me the same if I lived my life looking like a madman with a ‘wild glint’ in my eyes. I sighed and kept walking. Suddenly without warning, Bavol was walking beside me. I jumped and nearly dumped the porridge. Bavol swept the tray out of my arms gracefully before I could so much as spill the ale. He smiled, “Sorry. I did not mean to frighten you… I just cannot help my stealth.”

I took in a deep breath, “You just left Elisha without telling him where you were going?”

“I did not need to tell him… He knew.”

“Does he think lowly of me? Does he think I am mad?”

“He does not think you are mad… yet. He merely thinks you are going mad. He’s worried about you just like the rest!”

“Oh I hate that everyone worries for me!” I said angrily, “I wish with all my heart that they would leave me be or treat me normally. That is the best treatment for what ails me.”

“Oh Willow… I do not know what to say. I can convince you of nothing therefore I shall not even try. I still hope with all my being you will find purpose in life again. Maybe you should speak with Hannah.”

I gazed at him without truly seeing him. My mind was elsewhere, “I cannot find her.” I said slowly, “She has not visited me for the last month. The last time we were together, neither of us were in entirely good spirits, which only made the company of each other worthless and depressing.”

Bavol shook his head, “You see, nothing I suggest, you even think twice about.” He snapped, “You might as well go and live in the wilderness as a hermit of sorts and never speak to anyone again in your life.”

I clenched my fists, “That’s not fair Bavol! Leave me be! You are only making my life harder than it needs be. Your attempts at helping me are useless, stop trying! I do not even want to speak to you again, every time I do, it only hurts me.”

The look on Bavol’s face made me regret my words immediately. But because I was so stubborn I said nothing to reconcile them. He stopped there in hall and a look of pain flashed across his face, quickly it was gone and replaced by a look of anger. His eyes narrowed and his jaw clenched, “So be it.” Then he thrust the breakfast tray into my hands and left with the whirl of his cloak.

I stood in the hall alone feeling the deepest dread and regret at what I had done. A cold draft chilled me. I shivered and bit down on my lip hard. Tears formed in my eyes and one spilled over rolling down my cheek. I blinked the rest back and continued to the Princess’s chamber.
I walked in and placed the tray on the table. The princess was in a deep slumber and did not even notice me come in. I marched over to her window and threw the curtains open. Light streamed in and Steph moaned loudly, “Willow… let me sleep.”
I sighed and made my way to the next window, throwing those curtains open as well. After I opened all the windows I also opened the balcony doors letting the fresh air flood into the chamber, with it came the tinkling of wind chimes, “The prince returns today.” I announced my voice lifeless.
Steph sat up with a flash, “Really?” Her eyes were wide and full of joy, “Then I must prepare myself! I had completely forgotten… I thought it was tomorrow that he was coming.” She leaped from bed and rushed to her closet to pick out the perfect dress. We spent long hours preparing. Finally Steph was satisfied with how she looked and she made her way down to the courtyard where her Prince would soon come riding in. I accompanied her but like a proper servant walking a little ways back. The Prince would not tolerate us acting like equals so therefore whenever the Prince came home I always had to look at the ground and never speak unless spoken to. But then of course when the Prince left, everything was back to normal.
We walked into the courtyard and the Prince was already there leaping from his saddle. He looked up and met Steph’s eyes. As soon as his eyes met hers they melted as well as his ice cold royal facade. Steph rushed forward to meet him, “Pashad! Oh you have been gone so long!”
Meanwhile Bavol came from the stables to take Prince Pashad’s horse. His eyes met mine and I shivered at the coldness they held. I glanced at the Princess and Prince and decided that they would be occupied enough to not notice my absence. I walked towards Bavol but he shook his head, turned and walked away. I felt any hope deflate and I changed my course and walked to the gardens.
I wandered around gazing at the flowers, trying not to think. But I did think. Bavol was the only human I had for a friend and now I was pushing him away. I sighed and stopped beside a white rose bush. I picked on and smelt it idly. It was sweet and refreshed my sense. I continued to pick flowers until I had a bouquet. A warm breeze that seemed out of place in the cool morning caressed my skin.
“Hello Willow,” Said a shrill voice directly beside my right ear. I screamed and pricked my finger on a thorn. A melodious chuckle sounded in my left ear. I turned around hesitantly to face Hurricane.

Hurricane’s face was merely inches from my own. I took a step back into another rose bush. The thorns hooked into my dress and fastened me there. Every muscle screamed for me to run but I was frozen in place staring into those beautiful turquoise eyes.

Hurricane glided backwards to give me some room. His eyes were cautious and apologetic, “Sorry. I frightened you.”

“That is an understatement! My heart nearly stopped beating! And you laughed… why?” I demanded sounding braver then I felt, “Do you find it amusing to scare me half out of my wits?”

Hurricane’s mouth twitched, “Again, I beg your forgiveness. My mischievous side overruled my sensible side.” He frowned as he gazed at me, “Willow, whatever has become of you?” Concern tinged his voice.

I touched my face self-consciously, “What do you mean?”

“Have you not looked in a mirror Willow? You have dark shadows beneath your eyes and the deep sorrow in your gaze is almost tangible.”

I tugged at my dress while mumbling, “Your eyes deceive you, I fear.” I heard a slight rip and I flinched.

“My eyes?” Hurricane laughed, the sound of beautiful bells peeling through the morning air, “Oh dearest Willow, I have missed you unbearably.”

I stiffened as a sense of peace washed over me. I could not trust my feelings when Hurricane was near.

Hurricanes brilliant smile faded as he watched me, “You have had your eyes finally open I see.”

I clenched my hands into fists in defiance, “I do not wish to speak of it.”

Hurricane was suddenly pulling my into his arms unfortunately making the rest of my dress rip. Hurricane froze and pulled back, “Are you stuck my dear?” The amusement in his eyes was thoroughly embarrassing.

My face burned scarlet as I nodded.

Hurricane looked as though he was suppressing laughter but he quickly hid his face from me as he attempted to free my dress from the gnarled hands of the rose bush. I felt as though I was going to die of embarrassment, this was not proper in any form.

After what seemed like ages Hurricane pulled away and smiled his rare smile, “There, no need for blushing Willow. I am not abashed at the mere glimpse of petticoats.” With this statement I turned even redder.

Hurricane fought to keep a straight face. I glowered at him. He grasped my hand and pulled me to a bench. I was careful not to turn my back to him, “Willow,” He said softly, “You see that I was right now. You see that I am not the villain do you not?”

“Yes.” I managed barely, “I see now.”

“I never meant to frighten you at the Western Bothlew Castle. I simply did not know any other way to convince you of Lance’s evil side. He destroyed the elves Willow. He is the criminal, the cold blooded killer. I wanted to protect you from him but you simply did not let me. I was terrified for you, therefore I went to extremes. I cannot forgive myself… but is it possible that I may dare to ask for you to render your forgiveness upon me?”

I sighed, “Hurricane,” The name tasted sweet on my tongue, too sweet. His tormented eyes rose to mine and I lost all the bitter words I was going to say. I was going to remind him how he threw me against the statue and how the hate in his eyes was so real it was almost my own. But his gaze told me he meant every word of what he was saying. He was no king of deceit he was just as he said he was, my protecter, “Of course.” I whispered, “I forgive you.”

Hurricane squeezed my hand gently, “I do not deserve one such as you in my life. Your grace and mercy are beyond what I can comprehend.” His eyes portrayed such genuine sincerity. I was overwhelmed and speechless. We stared at each other for an unfathomable moment.

Hurricane sighed, a breath of intoxicatingly sweet wind passed over me, “I have to leave Willow.” The regret in his voice was not fake, “I have missed you beyond words. I know you are in pain my dear. Come to me. I will wipe away every tear and comfort you from this hurt.” He was suddenly standing upright, “I’m perfect for you Willow. I always was. You simply could not see it.” Then he was gliding away so beautiful it hurt to watch him. With his absence came the cold chill of loneliness.

I hurried off to my room and found Sabir lying on the floor drooling on the carpet. I scrunched my nose in disgust. He always drooled.

I placed my hand on his shoulder and shook him gently. His eyelids flew open revealing the burning yellow that was his eyes. I smiled kindly, “I have a solution to my pain.”
Sabir growled, “I know that I will not like it. But speak and get it over with.”

“I can see you are terribly excited for me.” I said sarcastically, “Shows how much you wish for me to be rid of this pain.”

“You know just as well as I do, that meeting with Lance is the only true solution. Any other solution will do no good.”

I sunk down on to the carpet so that I could look Sabir in the eyes, “Hurricane would be a fair solution. He can take away my pain quicker then any other.”

Sabir’s eyes flashed dangerously. His entire body tensed, “Oh he shall heal you all right. He can and will take away all feeling, all purpose. That’ll do you good.” He voice was filled with bitter sarcasm, “You’ll be as good as dead if you go crawling back to him. You shall be the living dead.”

“It is not that extreme.” I crossed my arms over my chest, “This is the decision I have made. You cannot alter it no matter how hard you try. Hurricane means me good. I can see it in his eyes! Priest is the one we need to fear. He destroyed the elves! He is evil! You know this better then anyone else, so are you coming with me?”

Sabir stared at me for a long, long time with saying anything. The entire room seemed to wait in anticipation at his answer. I was getting overly anxious when he finally answered, “No. I will not follow you if you choose this path.” Then he turned his head and walked out of the room.

My heart sunk at his words. How could he do this to me? He was my guardian! No guardian ever left the one they were appointed to no matter the consequences. I felt a chill creep into my bones. Something must be very wrong for him to turn from me such as he did. It was then that I knew I was making the wrong decision, but because of my stubbornness I did not change my mind. I was the worst of fools that ever lived.

Steph walked into my room just then. She was happy and smiling but when she saw the look on my face her smile faded, “What is it Willow?”

I took a deep breath, “I am going to find Hurricane. I need to be rid of some burdens and he is the only one that can help me.”

“I shall accompany you.” She said gazing at me. Her mouth was set in a firm line and I knew that she was not going to change her mind.

I sighed, “But what about Prince Pashad? He just returned.”

“Please, he will understand. I will tell him that a close cousin who lives by the North Sea died and I must go to the funeral. I shall tell him I need my servants to accompany me and Elisha shall come as well.” Then she added, “Elisha did tell me all about it and we’ve planned it all out and found the safest route.”

I smiled my thanks and began to ready myself. Steph made a huge deal about getting a letter from her Uncle saying that her cousin died. She wailed very convincingly and Prince Pashad comforted her most diligently. He quickly readied a caravan of servants, and soldiers to take care of Steph. He could not come along because of certain obligations although I could tell he did not want Steph to leave him. At dawn the next morning we were making our way out of the city.

Steph was upset about the many servants and soldiers and was trying to come up with a plan to get rid of them. The servants and soldiers would surely tell the Prince of their adventure and for them they would only see a grand castle without a single person living in it. As for Willow and Elisha, they would both see the bustling Wind Beings and the breathtaking Hurricane. The servants would think them possessed, talking to nothing but the wind that they could not see or hear.

The first day of the journey was terribly boring. Steph and I sat in the main carriage staring out at the scenery passing by. We did not converse much, for both of us were deep in thought. Baldwin was lying in the seat beside me and Elisha was riding Tashina.
My thoughts constantly turned to Sabir and his decision to leave me. My heart was torn and I felt like screaming. My entire world was shattered and I felt that maybe instead of continuing to live, I should take my own life.
Deep hopelessness had settled over me and never, even when Steph joked, would I smile. The world seemed bleak and the colors of nature did not hold any appeal. I had just lost my best friend, one of the very few I had over the past years.
I felt numb and broken… entirely broken. Like thin fragile glass, finally shattered after being chipped slowly away by everyone I ever loved.

We traveled day after day after day, stopping at small towns and staying in uncomfortable inns for the night. I realized how spoiled I was when I found myself complaining of how uncomfortable the beds were. I remembered when I used to sleep on nothing but a thin mat and only a thin blanket to cover me. One night as I lay in my bed thinking, I suddenly found that I was entirely disgusted with myself. I was thinking over all my faults all my mistakes and I realized what a mess I was. No matter, I thought, soon there will be nothing but bliss.

The next portion of the journey was through much wilderness. No one ever traveled on these roads anymore so they were uneven. Often we were stuck and the soldiers had to push the carriage out of large ruts in the road. Eventually we had to abandon the carriage and ride horse back.

After another day the road faded and no one had any idea where we were going. But Steph insisted we continue. So we continued through thick forest on thin barely worn paths. Dresses were of no use so we women borrowed some clothes from the men.

Now that we were on horseback, I rode on Tashina. After every day my backside was in extreme pain and bruises painted my thighs and calves. The days dragged on and on and eventually we were sure that we were lost. That day we made camp in a clearing earlier than usual and ate dinner.

I felt my hopelessness deepen now that we were lost. I went to bed before all the others. I cuddled up into my blankets and stared blankly at the tent wall thinking of what I would say to Hurricane when I would see him. I sighed and closed my eyes drifting into a dreamless sleep.

A howl echoed through the forest, yellow eyes glowed in the dark of the night. The dark outlines of wolves could be seen surrounding the camp if you had sensitive eyes but otherwise they were invisible. The leader of the pack let out one last howl and the obedient blood thirsty pack descended on the camp like dark angels of death. Within moments screams filled the night air.

I woke with a start and threw off my blankets. I grabbed a short sword and rushed outside glancing to see if Steph was still asleep. She wasn’t. Instead she was crouched in the corner of the tent with a dagger in her trembling hand. I did not pause to comfort her, I ran out into the battlefield of wolves and men.

I fought like a madman, killing anything that was in my way, even soldiers that were on my side. I do not know where I got my ability to fight like I did but it was as though I was possessed. I released all my anger, all my confusion, and all my frustration and fought from blazing passion.

I saw the look of fear on the wolves’ faces when I came for them and I decided that these were not simple wild animals. They looked on me with a certain understanding that made me realize that they had a conscience, perhaps more of a conscience then even I. The battle ragged on. The wolves were obviously winning judging by the bodies scattered across the clearing. The thing that confused me greatly was that the wolves would only kill the people; they would not stop to eat. These wolves had purpose in their attack beyond the need for food.

Eventually I was the only survivor left, other then a few who escaped into the forest. I was surrounded by many of the wolves at once, circling and growling dangerously. One lunged for me and I sliced its head off, at the same time another sunk its teeth into my arm. I clenched my teeth to keep from screaming and stabbed at the beast. I missed and another wolf launched itself at me. I looked it directly in the eye and prepared myself as death descended.

Just then, there was a flash of white and something or someone clashed with the wolf sinking its long claws into the heart. With one swipe of its long arm an entire line wolves went flying. Then it spoke in a low raspy voice, “Release her.” It growled, “I thought I told you not to harm her or the princess! You sicken me with your lust for blood.”

The wolf on my arm released its grip and cowered away from the thing in front of me. The thing straightened up and towered to a height that I thought might be seven feet. My mouth dropped open when I realized it was some version of a man. He stood his claws retracted and dripping with blood. The moonlight played across his angular face. His hair was pure white and hung down to his mid-back. His skin and eyes were pitch black making it hard to see his features. I peered closely at his face and saw that his eyebrows and long feminine eyelashes were white as well. He returned my gaze with a look of disgust, “Hello Willow.” He sneered, showing off white pointed teeth that glimmered menacingly in the moonlight.

I shuddered and stepped back, “Are you a vampire?”

The man snorted, “You believe in vampires? You are worse then I expected!” Then he added under his breath, “And let me tell you, I expected bad.” He continued to talk normally, “I am Shamuth and I am nothing you have ever seen or heard of before, I am neither human nor elf, dwarf nor Wind Being.”

“Then what are you?”

Shamuth paused and narrowed his eyes, “I have no specific name… I am a beast, a creature of horrid power. I am a Cathwuxlin, the only of my kind.”

I regarded him curiously. Suddenly I asked “Why was I to be spared?” This was referring to the words he had spoken to the wolves, which I had noticed had retreated into the forest, “What do you want with me?”

Shamuth laughed bitterly, “I do not want anything to do with you, in fact, if it were up to me you would be dead already and out of the way. You present such problems for this war.”

“War?”

“War, yes. I suppose you haven’t heard. There is to be a great war between Hurricane and Priest.” A sickening smile spread over Shamuth’s face. I was once again caught by the deathly gleam of his sharp teeth, “And most of it is because of you. Priest knows that you are running back to Hurricane and he refuses to let you ruin yourself like that, so, he requests an audience with you.”

“No!” I screamed, “I will never speak to that monster again.”

“He knew you’d say that, but he thought he’d ask politely first. Either way you have no choice.”

Shamuth reached out and took a strong hold of my arm, the one with the wound. I yelped and he looked at me, “A little dog bite?” he asked mockingly. I glared at him but it had no effect on him other then to make him laugh.

He motioned to his left and out of the darkness stepped Bavol gripping tightly onto Steph’s arm. I gasped, “Bavol? How could you?”

Bavol shook his head in disbelief and turned to drag Steph into the forest.
Shamuth snorted and rolled his eyes, “How you ever got such loyal friends beats me. And just in case you are stupid enough to be unable to figure out the meaning of my words, I will explain… you are childish, foolish and pain in the neck. I wish these friends of yours would give up trying to save you and just let you kill yourself. I tire of hearing about you and your perfections and imperfections. I swear I must know more about you then you know about yourself.”

I could not think of anything to say. I was deeply insulted but I thought it would be best to endure the ridicule instead of trying to defend myself.

Shamuth continued to talk, “Lance is utterly in love with you. He told me not to speak of it to you, but you need to hear how much pain he has gone through. He does not eat or sleep. All through the night he sits and lets the storm that builds up inside of his heart come to show itself through nature.”

I gasped and a shiver ripped down my spine, “So it was him! He was the one creating the storm, and that thunder, that was Merlin! I thought I felt pain through that storm!”

Shamuth looked at me like I was an idiot, “How did you feel the emotion of pain through a thing of nature? That is so foolish.”

I flushed, “But it is not nature it is magic.”
His look of disgust stopped me from speaking further on that subject.
When he turned away from I muttered under my breath, “I am not as silly as you make me out to be.”

“Oh yes you are.” He replied menacingly.

I clamped my mouth shut and let him drag me along. I felt something slither over my foot. I tried to lean down to pick Baldwin up but Shamuth would not let me. I hit his arm, “Let me pick up my guardian.”

Shamuth paused and let me pick Baldwin up, “Where’s my horse, Tashina?”

“She was probably eaten by the wolves.”

I froze, panic made my entire body shake “No, no, NO! You’re lying!”

“You are correct. She’s safe, you shall see her soon.”

I was getting more and more infuriated by the moment, “You are just as childish as you claim I am!” I snapped.

Shamuth glanced at me with a hint of amusement but mostly annoyance in his eyes, “Did you notice how much I dislike you? Do not push your luck with me… I will strike you despite what Lance said, and if I strike you, I am almost positive that your head will come off your neck.”

“Oh you think you are so strong.” I said, my eyes flashing.

Shamuth raised an eyebrow, “I do not think… I know. I have done it once before and I do not wish to do it again. But if you continue to annoy me then I shall have to end your misery and everyone else’s.”

Bavol turned around just then, “You shall not harm her Shamuth. Lance will destroy you if you do.” His eyes shifted to my face and his eyes softened for a moment. I hated the pity they held for me. I turned my face away and stared at the ground.

Shamuth muttered something under his breath about leaving me to his wolves. I doubt I had ever hated someone so much in my life. Many times before I had thought that I had met heartless men but now I thought those men to be the kindest of men compare to Shamuth. He made me want to stab a dagger in his heart.

As the sun rose into the sky I observed Shamuth more closely. He was wearing nothing but a loincloth and a deer skin vest. He was truly beautiful and I found I could not take my eyes off of him. His muscles were rock solid and corded and his hair shimmered strangely in the sun light. His face was very hard, his jaw was firm and his eyes had a fierce glint in them. He was defiantly a warrior without any feeling. I found myself disgusted and in awe of him at the same time. He was magnificent yet utterly frightening and compassionless.
We did not stop walking till sundown no matter how exhausted Steph and I were. Steph whined and cried but neither of our captors gave her any notice. I stubbornly kept my mouth shut and refused to show any weakness. I kept walking even when my feet were cut and bleeding and my muscles were in extreme pain. I never let out a single moan determined to prove myself tougher then I seemed.

Finally we made camp. Shamuth whistled and a horse came galloping from the forest. It had all the supplies we needed for the night. Bavol made a fire to warm us in the night.
As we sat around the fire Bavol glanced up at me. His eyes lingered for a moment and then dropped as I glared at him, “You betrayed me.” I said through clenched teeth.

Bavol shook his head, “I am doing what is best for you, even though you may not see it yet.”

Shamuth sat on the other side of the fire beside Bavol and glared at me. I tried to glare back but his gaze was so intense I could not stand it. Steph whimpered beside me. I turned my attention to her.

I gently pressed the back of my hand against her forehead. She did not have a fever, thank goodness, such a trek was bound to make one such as her sick. My gaze shifted to her torn feet. Somewhere along the way she had lost her shoes and her feet were tattered and bloody from the trek. I frowned and looked for something to wrap her feet in.

Bavol was suddenly beside me, he held out torn rags to me. I took them and smiled gratefully. He smiled back and began to wrap the rags around Steph’s feet, “I am sorry for this, but we could not stop… there are dangers in these woods that are far worse then the imagination could ever dream up.” He glanced at Shamuth who was still glaring at me, “And that does include Shamuth. He would kill you gladly if he had the chance.”

I sighed, “Why does he hate me so much? I never harmed him.”

“No, but you annoy him greatly. I doubt I’ve ever seen one person so annoyed with anyone in my life. He hates Hurricane with great passion and he hates the foolish. You were running back to Hurricane and you are very foolish, making you the biggest pest he has ever encountered. But please, do not try him… a short temper is his weakness and obedience is not his strongest area. He will disobey Lance without much thought if you smart talk with him.”

I nodded feebly, glancing at Shamuth’s sharp claws and corded muscles. I shivered despite my bravery previously, now I understood the danger I was truly in. Shamuth’s dark eyes bore into mine with such hatred that I felt as though I was starting to hate me too. I frowned at him and turned away.

About half an hour later I went to sleep on the cold ground by the fire. All I had was a small blanket to keep me warm.

That night was one of restless dreams. I dreamed of all the men and wolves I had slaughtered mercilessly because of my crazed mind. The faces that I had not seen before now haunted me and taunted me. I cried out in the night multiple times and was eventually slapped across the face by a very angry Shamuth. His slap stung and nearly knocked me unconscious. I swear I saw little stars dancing around my head. After a quarter of an hour I fell back to sleep with tears of pain streaming down my face. I sobbed quietly or else I am sure Shamuth would have hit me again and no doubt taken off my head.

I dreamed no longer of the men I killed but now, I dreamed of Hurricane. I dreamed I was standing in the middle of a clearing in the forest watching and listening. The birds sung beautifully in the nearby trees, a deer peeked through a parting in the brush to see me. Sunlight streamed through the cracks in the branches and leaves warming my skin. All nature responded to the presence I knew was near. I gasped as the trees parted and made way for the beautiful angel. I felt his familiar warm wind surrounding and caressing me with his warmth and love. I sighed and wished that it would never end.
Hurricane glided like an angel across the waves of rippling grass and gazed at me with his soft turquoise eyes. I felt trapped, but gladly trapped, mesmerized by his lovely face. He stopped in front of me with the kindest look on his face.

A demon in disguise, came a sharp voice in the back of my mind. I pushed the thought away. Then came a long purposely forgotten voice, “Things are not always as they seem…” I froze recognizing the voice to be Lance’s. I thrust all my barriers against that voice and forced it from my mind, “That also includes you, Lance.” I thought coldly.

A smile twitched at the corner of Hurricane’s lips and words formed on his perfectly shaped lips, “Willow, you have returned to me.” He paused, letting his musical words dance through the glades and tug at my heart strings. The trees moaned longingly and the leaves rustled with his wind. He reached out and touched my cheek gently. It felt so real, so unlike a dream, “If you truly want me back,” he said, “If you truly want revenge on the one who deceived you all along, you will do me one small favor.”

I nodded mindlessly.

“Find Priest’s hideout, make him trust you once again, make him love you so that when I take my revenge I will not merely destroy him outwardly, but shatter his heart within as well. He will be betrayed by you.” His eyes searched mine, “Is that not what you wanted? Sweet revenge? His shattered heart shall be your reward.”

I liked the sound of the plan, but something about it wasn’t right, “You’ll kill him then?”

“Yes.” Hurricane smiled hypnotically, “It shall be the worst death any could ever imagine. I will not let him die simply, but he will die never-the-less.”

“How?” I asked my doubt showing obviously on my face, “He is no easy opponent. Remember he defeated you once before.”

“That was simply luck,” Hurricane said through clenched teeth. “Have you forgotten who I am? I have been here from the beginning; I am ruler over this world. Nature bows to me!”

I frowned at his pride. Although, it was the truth I found that it was almost sickening listening to him. Hurricane saw this distaste in my gaze and he smiled ruefully, “Worry not. I speak these words to gain your trust. You doubt me, though you should not. The world shall be brought before me and you shall share with me the throne.”

Truthfully I did not care any for riches and fame. All I wanted was acceptance and I had found it in Hurricane. He was my friend.

I strained my neck upwards to kiss Hurricane on the lips as a token of my thanks but the moment before my lips touched his, suddenly a mighty roar shook my conscience and maroon eyes flashed in my mind. I gasped and lurched away falling to the soft grass of the meadow, only, it was not longer grass it was the blankets of my bed.
Rain was coming down in torrents and lighting flashed through the sky like a network of veins. I blinked away the droplets of water that were on my eyelashes then sat up. I saw Shamuth, draped in a dark cloak, frantically packing up our gear and putting it away onto a horse. I noticed another horse standing by, gazing at me. I realized it was Tashina, “Tashina, where have you been?!”

“With the other pack horses. They are mindless and boring to travel with. They only have one thought, their destination. They’ve been highly trained to follow close behind their master who in this case is that cold blooded Shamuth.”

I quickly ran over to Tashina and hugged her around her neck, “I have been so distraught about you. I swear Shamuth is the cruelest being I have ever encountered. His ways are heartless.”

Tashina’s eyes were sad as she gazed upon me, “Willow, do not forget Baldwin and I. We shall not see you from here onward but you will be on our mind constantly.”

“Why? Why will I not see you again?”

Suddenly Shamuth grabbed my arm and yanked me away from Tashina, “Roll up your blankets! You should have done it sooner idiot! Now they’re soaked and they shall stink and will not be dry the next time we use them.”

Bavol came up behind us, “I already rolled up her blankets, it is time to move.”

I turned around to see Bavol, water dripping off his scraggly bangs that hung in front of his face. He was standing legs apart beside his majestic dragon, Breacher, with Steph blindfolded on its back. Breacher snorted and a puff of smoke came from his nostrils. He shifted his feet and his powerful muscles rippled with the slight movement. I would not like to get in the way of that beast. I shuddered and wrapped my arms around myself to try to gain some warmth.

Shamuth glared at me from underneath his hood, “I suppose you need this more then I do.” Shamuth swept his coat off of his shoulders and wrapped it around me. It was the first act of kindness I ever received from Shamuth.

Without warning I heard a melodic deep voice carried by the wind and rains, sounding like thunder itself, speak some unfamiliar words that sounded haunted and dark. I know that voice, I thought to myself, just then, my world went black. I could still feel, hear, smell, and taste, I just couldn’t see. I was sure I did not have a blindfold over my eyes so therefore the means of my blindness must be by magic.

My lips parted in surprise as I felt Shamuth’s corded arms lift me from the ground and cradle me against his chest. It was so gentle, very unlike Shamuth. His legs moved underneath him gracefully and smoothly, so smoothly that it almost felt as though we were flying instead of running. I heard Bavol’s dragon take off behind us and then a rushed wind brushed past us angrily from the strokes of Breacher’s wings.

For the next few hours I listened and tried so very hard to determine which directions we were turning and at what speed we were going but Shamuth moved as though he did not touch the ground and I did not bounce in his arms. The storm was short lasted and soon there was no wind around us, the air was completely still. I was frightened at the eeriness of the journey. At moments I would feel the warmth of the sun and then a shadow would chill my skin. I thought that it must be a very thin forest, the outskirts. The entire journey we did not speak and I did not attempt to. I spent my time thinking deeply of what I was going to say to Priest and how I was going to make him trust me. I thought to myself that it would be a very hard task, merely looking him in the eyes would prove to be a great challenge. I could not stand staring where the beautiful hazel eyes once were.

I noticed the angle of Shamuth’s body change and judging by it we were going down hill. Suddenly a deep shadow hid us from the sun; I shivered but was thankful for the warmth of Shamuth’s body I cuddled closer hoping that he would not strike me. He did not.

Shamuth’s grip on me tightened as we seemed to make an even steeper descend. It seemed as though we were going deep into the earth. I heard a faint song echoing through the dark recesses of this cave or tunnel through the earth. It sounded like the voice of a girl, sweet and sad.

“Who is that, Shamuth?”

“That is Mavera.” Only it wasn’t Shamuth’s voice, it was a deep, sweet, hypnotizing voice; the voice that I had tried so hard to forget, “She’s an orphan who I happened across.”

My entire body stiffened as I felt a natural peace and acceptance wash over me. I felt content, perfectly content. I cursed my heart’s weakness and struggled in Lance’s arms, “You traitor! You heartbreaker! Let me go! I hate you!” As soon as those words left my mouth, I remembered what Hurricane had told me in my dream, he told me to make Lance trust me again.

“Well, that is unfortunate… because I love you.” He said with so much sweetness. This time his voice was multiple voices speaking at once, some were singing, some were whispering and others were speaking normally, so many harmonies in the last three words. I could say nothing and do nothing but let those words seep into my heart. I felt so confused. I did not know whether to cry with joy, scream in pain, or shout in anger. We stopped moving and Lance placed me upright on the floor. It was cold on the bareness of my feet. The blindness was removed from my eyes and I found myself staring at the chest of a very tall Priest. I was afraid to lift my eyes to his, afraid to see blank eyes and fiery hair.

Lance reached down and lifted my chin slightly. I looked far up into his eyes and gasped as I saw they were once again hazel and his hair fell normally, just above his ears. His hair was no longer down to his shoulders, but much shorter. His eyes had dark circles underneath them and his cheeks were sunken it, but other then those few imperfections; he was beautiful and very normal. My mouth was open in amazement, “Lance?” I whispered his name was like an enchantment on my lips.

Lance’s eyes searched mine cautiously, “You are not afraid?” He asked weakly.

“No.” I said, and truly meaning it. I was in awe, “You are no longer a monster.”

Lance’s eyes narrowed, “I thought you loved me for other reasons aside from my appearance.”

As soon as he said that, all my awe and kindly feelings diminished, “How can you say that? You were as hideous as a gnarled beast! Anyone would feel the fear that I felt! Did you see yourself? How could I not think I had been deceived all along? When I saw your hair I saw the fire and thought to myself, ‘of course, he killed the elves, he has power over fire.’”

Lance’s eyes darkened and he took a menacing step towards me, “How dare you even think such a thing, never mind tell all your friends and make them doubt me as well!” His face became paled, “Now Elisha is an accomplice of Hurricane. And he was my close friend!”

I clenched my jaw and balled my fists at my side, “I never told him anything of the sort! I had never told him about my fear and my suspicions. The only person who knew was Bavol!”

Lance’s expression softened, no longer menacing. There was a long pause and then he said, “I did not know. I thought…”

“Exactly!” I shouted, “You are as guilty as I am for accusing before you have any real proof! Do not blame me for the same mistakes you yourself make.” Lance reached out hesitantly and touched my cheek. I slapped his hand away, “Do not touch me!”

Lance averted his eyes and then turned his back to me. He walked out of my line of sight and I saw that we were in a large cavern with thousands of entrances. There was a fire in the middle and a group of men were sitting around it, awkwardly avoiding my gaze. I saw Bavol amongst them, sitting beside Steph. Shamuth was there as well, the only one who dared to look at me, glare at me in fact. My face flushed red. Lance’s voice came sharp and piercing, “Shamuth it would do you well to treat Miss Willow with respect…” Then he added bitterly, “Even though she may not deserve it.”

My temper ignited. I stomped after Lance, “Since when do I not deserve respect?”

Lance whirled around, his eye flashing with intense anger that I had never seen in him before. I saw his hair flicker into flames but it quickly dissipated, “Since you did not listen to the advice of Sabir and Bavol!” He spat, “Since you insulted me so many times. Since you began to only care about yourself and became a stuck up maiden! Since you went running back to Hurricane, willing to become a zombie for him! Do you think after all of that, you deserve the slightest respect from any one of us? No!” He shouted. I winced and stepped backwards, “You left your best and closest friend because you refused to see me once more!” Then he stated sadly, “You are the worst fool Willow.”

“You do not understand.” I snapped back, “If you felt what I felt maybe you would not be so quick to judge. I hate you Lance!”

“Why?” He asked furiously, “Why?! Because I speak truthfully? Because my looks do not please you? Because you were hurt by your own stupidity?”

I clenched my fists and glared at him coldly, “I hate you because I was utterly fooled by you! I thought you were perfect for me. I thought I loved you… but no! I do not love you, and you are everything a man shouldn’t be!”

“Oh you think you know everything! You are a stubborn pigheaded mule!” He shouted.

“You are weak and childish!”

“Weak? You call me weak?” His eyes flashed and suddenly the entire cave darkened. Lance’s eyes seemed to glow and his hair caught the fiery gleam of the nearby fire. I stepped back, afraid. His gaze could have cut me in two.

I dropped my gaze, “Physical strength is not what I was referring to! I meant your emotional state!” My eyes flashed back up to his, “What have you been doing for the last year? Moping around and wishing I would come crawling back to you! You are weak, weak to want what you can not have!” I felt all the eyes from around the fire on me now. The fire in Lance’s eyes died and I saw a flash of something I did not recognize. Was it pain? Was it loathing? I turned away from Lance and took a deep breath. Suddenly I regretted all I had said. But I would not and could not take it all back. It had pierced Lance but what he had said had also pierced me.

All the desperation and confusion had driven me insane and I could no longer see which way to turn. I realized then, how foolish I was, and I knew that I was continuing to be a fool. I was a fool and a betrayer. I did not deserve anyone’s compassion. At that moment, I wanted to curl up and die. I made my way sulkily to the fire and warmed my hands, sitting stiffly beside Bavol who did not attempt to converse with me, but instead coldly handed me a blanket and pointed to a tunnel. I stood and went through the tunnel. I found myself in a smaller cavern with a carved, stone slab for a bed and a small stone table beside it. There was a fire in the middle of the floor to keep the room warm. I lay down on the slab and wrapped my thick blanket around me. Tears were my only comfort that night. I longed for my friends, for Sabir, Hannah, Tashina, and Baldwin. They would understand. They would comfort me.

I did not know how long I slept, for the lighting in the cave was always the same. When I did wake I began to wonder many things. I wondered how they managed to carve out of a slab of rock, my bed, and how they managed to keep the fire going continuously. I also wondered where Lance recruited all the men that were sitting beside the fire last night. I rolled off my bed and made my way to the main cavern. When I entered I realized there were many, many more men and women then what I had seen yesterday. There were even children running around. I frowned deeply.

Through the crowds the first person who caught my eye was Shamuth, standing at least a head or two taller then all the others and glaring at me maliciously. I looked around for protection then I saw Hannah. My heart leaped at the sight of her oval green eyes staring at me from the background of her pale translucent skin. A smile broke out over my face and I rushed to hug her. I threw my arms around her and then remember that she was made up of air and magic. I quickly drew back and smiled, “You are here! I thought I would never see a friendly face again.”

Hannah smiled charmingly as her breeze stroked my cheek, “I thought you might need my support. There are a lot of bitter and vile creatures here.” She said glancing at Shamuth. Shamuth caught her piercing gaze and looked away quickly.

“How did you do that? No matter how much I glare at him, he never looks away and continues to glare without even blinking. I hate him!”

Hannah’s eyes narrowed, “You hate him? That is a strong and very cold statement. You do not know Shamuth like Lance and I do. Shamuth is a great man… creature… being, I still cannot quite understand what he is. There is no other like him in battle, with one swipe he’ll gut you like a fish. He may be cold but he has sound judgment.”

“I still do not like him.”

“And he does not like you. He has been a lone wanderer much of his life, cold indifference is his test for any who meet him. If they pass without fear and with kindness repaying heartlessness then maybe he shall accept them as his friend. Lance passed with flying colors. I passed the fear part but I did not lend him much kindness. In fact I showed no interest in him whatsoever. The first time I met him, my mind and heart were elsewhere and I simply unintentionally ignored him.”

Just then Bavol passed by and the sight of him reminded me of our conversation about Hannah in the stables, “Hannah, Bavol told me that you might be the mother of Priest...” I paused, “Or Lance I mean.”

Hannah stiffened, “No, I am not. Simple rumor but not true.” She sighed, “I suppose you should know the truth of the whole matter. You are after all deeply entangled. The whole deal of me falling in love with the first Priest was not true either. We simply negotiated terms of peace. I know not who Lance’s mother was but I do strongly believe that Priest was his father.”

“So Priest was never in love with you?”

Hannah smiled softly and her eyes got a faraway look about them, “Yes he loved me, pursued me and I refused him. I was interested in the world back then. I did not want to settle down. I wanted to see places and travel the world. I wanted to help the needy people; show them love they would have never known otherwise. Priest was the protector of the world. He said that I could travel all I wanted and still be married to him. But I did not see it as an important goal in life. I was going to live long anyways and thought to myself that I would find another man instead of Priest.”

“Was his heart broken?” I asked.

“Oh yes, the look on his face when I told him all this was unforgettable. It sickened me to know that I had torn his heart in two, so I left and never saw him again.” Hannah shook her head and pursed her lips, “I do not know what happened to him.” Her eyes flickered to mine, “The Great battle had been fought out and finished by the time I left. When I returned two years later he was gone. Priest had disappeared and the world was falling apart.”

“Please tell me what the Great wars were like. I have heard little of them!”

Hannah’s fine eyebrows knit together in thought, “Lets see. It was after I refused Priest’s attentions and Priest took back his promise from Hurricane. Hurricane was furious and no longer afraid. He summoned the greatest most terrible beasts of this earth. Wind Beings and various beasts fought against humans, elves, guardians, dwarves and Cathwuxlin. This was before humans were blinded to Wind Beings. The battles were bloody and terrible. We won, but barely. Priest blinded humans and Dwarves to the entrancing Wind Beings. Now, humans have forgotten and elves have become extinct. Lance is short on followers and there is little hope of winning this battle.”

I sighed, “There is so much to these stories. I have heard so many different versions.” Suddenly Hannah smirked at something to my left. I followed her gaze and saw that Lance was leaning against a wall nearby watching me intently with intense hazel eyes. I sneered angrily at him but it only made him laugh, and when he laughed it was a heart warming sound. His laugh was so deep, tremulous and contagious, it vibrated to the soul of me and I wanted to laugh too. I barely suppressed my desire to join him but I could not hold back the smile that crept gently across my lips. Lance’s laughter faded and we just stood there staring at each other trying to understand our feelings. Last night had been so bitter.

Hannah interrupted with the clearing of her throat, “Lance have you explained the seriousness of this war?”

Lance came and stood near me; so near that my heart pace quickened and my breath became irregular. I hated myself for it, “No I have not. I thought that I should not bother her about it.”

Hannah made a face, “She is the main conflict.”

I sensed Lance tensing slightly, “What do you mean? This war cannot possibly be about me! I can make my own decisions.”

“We are trying to protect you.” Lance said, “Hurricane is trying to use you for his benefit. Hurricane will try anything to get to you, hypnotizing, kidnapping, persuading, and even through extreme violence. But do not worry we have an entire army protecting you.”

I found the whole deal very repulsive, “You mean men will die on my behalf? That is the most vulgar thing I have ever heard.” I turned my face upward to meet Lance’s gaze, “I am not that important. Why do you not simply kill me? There would be no more conflict after that.”

Lance’s eyes flashed, “You think I could live with you dead?” he muttered barely audible, under his breath. My face flushed. Then he added louder, “You are not the only reason for war. There is a case of slavery at hand. Hurricane wants to enslave all races aside from Wind Beings. Hurricane wants to rule the world. You and I are the only ones who stand in his way.”

“And all he needs to do is to win this war. And with our meager force, I admit I am afraid.” Hannah said.

I tried to think through everything they said. Was it the truth? I wondered. It sounded right and I thought to myself, that I believed them, “How terrible!” I whispered feeling the weight of the news sinking in.

“He also needs a sorcerer to make him partly human so that he will have a soul.” Hannah replied, “Many say it could be an improvement but I know that it will not. His soul will be black as coal. And besides, he will need a sacrifice.”

I shuddered at the word sacrifice. Lance shot a look at Hannah, “Enough.” He mouthed thinking that I did not see.

My eyes sought Lance’s, “How do I know that you are not making this all up? I have heard so many lies that I do not know what to believe.”

Lance winced, “Yes of course… you need proof. Unfortunately I do not have any. You will simply have to decide for yourself.”

That was not what I wanted to hear. I grunted, unsatisfied. I turned away from them and began to wander around thinking deeply on all I had heard. There was never a moment in that cavern when I did not have hundreds of eyes on me. I wanted to flee from them. They were so accusing, cold and unfriendly. The only eyes that watched me that were kind were those of Lance. I marveled at how he still loved me so much after all I had said about him, after I had betrayed him. When I met his eyes I felt overwhelmed by the passion in them, the passionate love for me. It melted my insides and made me want to break down into tears and scream for forgiveness. I deserved none of what he offered and therefore I could not accept it.

Eventually I left the cavern and went through a network of tunnels, not caring if I got lost. There were torches guiding the way but when I saw a tunnel that was not lighted I turned down it. I did not know where I was going or why I had chosen that tunnel. It just seemed appropriate for the mood I was in. So I wandered aimlessly for hours upon hours in the dark, lost in deep thought. Eventually I came to a large open cavern that had light streaming through an opening in the ceiling. It was a relief to be able to see properly.

As my eyes adjusted to the lighting, my mouth fell open in amazement. Through the cavern ran sparkling streams, branching off from a large pool created by a waterfall. Soft moss grew along the banks, inviting me to come and lie down. Colorful flowers and long grass grew where the sun shone, a large portion of the cavern. There were even three acacia trees and the smell of lavender drenched the crisp air. I breathed in deeply and smiled. I made my way carefully across the uneven ground and came to rest beside a large pool. I looked down into it and saw my reflection. My hair was up in the proper hairstyle of a lady and my pale face was paler then I ever remembered. I frowned and reached up to undo my hair. I took the clips that fastened my hair out and a curtain of soft black waves fell around my face. I smiled to myself. That looked much better. Large green eyes stared up at me from the stream. They looked lost and weary. I wished that my eyes did not betray my emotions so easily.

“Thou art a strange one to be traveling in these parts alone,” Said a gravelly voice behind me.

I leapt to my feet and my head snapped towards the direction of the voice. I found myself looking into a mirror. Only, it was not a normal mirror but a distorted mirror. The creature staring back at me had the same large green eyes as I did. The black hair was the same texture but a different length. It fell just above the ears and framed a pale face that looked very much like mine. The jaw was firmer and squarer, eyebrows thicker, lips thinner and the body was the body of a man. He was average height with a rare look about him. I could not place it.

There we stood staring at each other dumbstruck by the similarities in looks. I could not move. His riveting gaze held something deep and mysterious. I wanted to know him; I wanted to solve that mystery that lay behind those eyes.

Finally I regained my voice, “Who are you?” I whispered

The gravelly voice replied, “Wiltar… Art thou a demon?”

“No. I am no demon. I am Willow of the city Withalm. I am servant of the Princess Stephanie who is the wife of Prince Pashad.”

“How is it that the servant of the princess winds up in a desolate cave?” He asked.

“It is a long story.”

Wiltar shrugged, “Thou art lost? Thou hast time, so do I.” With that he sunk gracefully to the bed of moss.

I kept my eyes glued to him as I sat down as well. I did not know where to begin. I did not know what to tell him and what to not tell him. Wiltar sensed this and said, “Tell me all, and leave no detail out. If thou pleases, start from the beginning.”

So I told my story from the moment I first remembered. I told him of my early years living with the widow then moving to live my father. I told him about my guardians and how each came to me. I told him about the beginning of the greatest adventure of my life, meeting Lance. I told him every encounter I had with Hurricane and I told him every feeling I experienced when I found that Lance was Priest. For some strange reason, the words flowed from my mouth smoother then ever before. Not once did Wiltar interrupt but he watched me silently with those clear green eyes. Something about those eyes made me trust this man and made me more comfortable then I had ever been in my entire life. I talked for hours, answering his questions. Finally I noticed that there was no longer sunlight streaming through the opening in the ceiling. I could not longer see Wiltar clearly. I yearned to know his story but before I could ask Wiltar suddenly said, “There be someone coming.”

I listened, “How can you tell?” I asked after hearing nothing.

“My hearing is sharper then most.” He said flashing his white teeth, “I must go. Someday,” He said rising, “we shall perchance stumble upon each other again and I will tell thee my story. I feel, Willow, that thine and my destinies art delicately intertwined, wherefore we shall meet again. There is no telling in what circumstance we shall entertain each other in, but we shall be in each other’s company again. I know it. I peered into my future and saw thee, yet I was alarmed to meet thee here… I feel the same shall happen again. Fare thee well.” He moved closer and embraced me like a close friend would. I was surprised but pleased.

Just then the full moon came out from behind a cloud and lit up the cavern. I looked around and realized that Wiltar was no longer here, he was gone like a passing breeze or a hazy dream. Was he real?

I heard my name; it was whispered as though it were a word of enchantment. Suddenly the wind rushed through the tunnels and howled in agony. A chill shook my body. I was afraid now that I was alone. How could Wiltar leave a weak woman to the mercy of the unknown? I remembered how he said he saw me in the future. He must’ve looked into the future again and seen that I was safe, or else one such as he would have never left. The trees cast eerie shadows and my reflection in the stream looked ghost rather then human. The tunnels to the side of the cavern looked like fatal paths to a dark, bottomless abyss.

I wrapped my arms around myself and glanced uncertainly around the cavern. Just then my stomach grumbled and I realized that I had not eaten for the entire day. I closed my eyes for a moment trying to arrange my thoughts. The more I thought about it, the more I began to believe that Wiltar had been a figment of my imagination… but no, he had felt so real. And it was not possible that I could imagine someone with such a strange way of speaking. I turned my thoughts in a different direction. I thought about what I should do, Lance had not come for me and I was certain that I could not find my way back.

I opened my eyes and found myself inches away from the face of a demon, Hurricane. I screamed, jerked backwards and tumbled into the stream. He hung there in the air glowing in the moonlight. His expression was blank and voice was cold. It chilled me more then the icy stream I lay in, “I thought I told you to find a way to their hideout, not get lost.” His gaze was un-nerving, “My followers and I cannot spend time searching the tunnels, for I may get lost and get weak from not being in the open air.”

“How did you find me?”

“What does that matter? I have spies everywhere and one of them just happened to hear you talking here.” His eyes narrowed and his brow furrowed, “Who were you speaking to?”

“I was talking to myself.” I said, telling part of what I believed to be truth. The man had seemed like a part of me and could’ve very well been my imagination.

“Does Lance trust you yet?” Said Hurricane, changing the subject.

“He told me of your plans.” I said simply, “He said you were planning to put the world under slavery.”

Hurricane glared at me, “And what if I am? You will not be a slave.”

“So it is true then?” I whispered, wishing that it were not, “I will never work for you! You are the king of deceit.” I spat.

Hurricane lifted me from the stream. He smiled wickedly, “You will work for me, because if you don’t, I shall kill your father.” Then he leaned forward and before I could turn my face, covered my mouth with his. Instead of pleasure, I felt like vomiting. I pushed against his chest and tried to free myself from his iron grip. But I was weak and could not do so. The kiss seemed to last forever and I felt as though I was suffocating. Finally Hurricane released me and a sick smile spread across his lips, “There… you’ve wanted it for a while… now you have gotten your wish, a kiss from me.”

I spat at his face but Hurricane became translucent just then and the spit flew through him, “You are repulsive.” I said viciously.

“Repulsive? I think not. Remember, it was you who was trying to find me, not I trying to find you. It was your choice.” He laughed long and clear, like bells toiling at midday. Then his laughter faded and he looked me straight in the eyes, sneering, “Fool.” Then there was a flash of light.

The light faded and I was standing alone in the cavern, confused. I sunk down to the mossy bed and sighed deeply. What was I to do? I wondered silently. I was now at a cross road, should I betray Lance and let the world come to an end, or should I not betray Lance and allow my father to die. I felt a tear trickle down my cheek. I knew the answer, my father was precious, too precious to loose. I closed my eyes and fell into a terrible fitful sleep.

I woke to the light of morning streaming through the hole in the ceiling and someone shaking me awake. I squinted up at the anxious face of Lance… suddenly a hatred I could not explain filled me. The only reason that could explain my hatred was because it was Lance who brought me into this depressing and depraved life. He was the one who told me the legends.

The loathing must have shown in my eyes because Lance winced and inched away from me, “I have come to take you back, Willow.”

“I do not want to go back.” I said coldly.

Lance swept me into his arms and cradled me against his chest. I did not struggle against him, for I knew it would be of no use. He walked through the tunnels in silence.

Finally I said, “I needed to get away from all the eyes.”

Lance nodded stiffly and did not reply.

“Are you mad at me for wandering?” I asked.

“No… I understand. Although, it was quite dangerous for you to be wandering these tunnels alone. Who knows if there are evil beasts lurking in the dark corners.”

“I knew you would find me eventually.” I said with confidence, “I knew you would never let anything happen to me. I’m too precious to you.” I said sarcastically.

“You should not try your luck. I cannot protect you always.” I saw his jaw twitch irritably.

As we walked I memorized every turn and as soon as we arrived in the main cavern I asked for a piece of paper and a quill pen with an ink stand and I went to my room and wrote down the directions. Now, I just needed to find a way to get it to Hurricane. I began to wonder what Hurricane would do with the directions. Would he come here and destroy Lance and his followers? Impossible! Lance was Priest, the Priest. He would sense it. Was Hurricane that foolish?

I decided that the only way to get the directions to Hurricane was by going into the open air where I could find a Wind Being loyal to Hurricane. So I presented my request to Lance, “Lance” I said a few days later, “I really want to see the sun again. I want to be in the open air.”

Lance looked up from the fire he was stirring and frowned, “I do not think it is wise. With war at hand, it would put us all at risk.”

“Please.” I begged. I place my hand gently on his. His hand jerked away. His eyes lifted and he searched my eyes, “Just for an hour or two.” I pleaded.

Lance stood and straightened, his entire body rigid, “Fine, but we shall take Shamuth and Bavol with us for safety.”

“Not Shamuth!” I moaned. But I knew there was no use in trying to convince Lance otherwise.

That night was a long one. I thought over how I was going to rid myself of Shamuth, Bavol and Lance and give the message to Hurricane. I was scared that I would be found out and Shamuth would gut me with his long devilish claws. The night dragged on and on, I could not sleep because of the fear and uncertainty writhing inside of me. Eventually I slipped out of bed and walked out into the large open cavern. I saw on the bench by the simmering fire, Lance, head in his hands muttering something in a foreign language. I tiptoed towards him and was about to place my hand on his arm when his head shot up and blank eyes met mine. My hand flew to my mouth and I stumbled backwards. I did not scream for the scream was stuck in my throat. Lance stood and took a threatening step towards me, “What are you doing up?” He demanded

I trembled, “I could not sleep. Lance please…” I whispered weakly, “your eyes…”

Lance turned from me, muttered something and then turned back. His eyes were once again hazel. I sighed with relief and pushed the image of his blank eyes from my mind. I stood slowly keeping my eyes keenly fixed upon him, “What are you doing up?” I asked.

“I cannot sleep anymore.”

“Why not? You always look so tired.”

“I have many matters I must go over.”

“Such as?”

Lance smirked and did not answer.

“Where has Merlin been?” I asked after a short awkward silence.

“He has been out recruiting and training many other animals and guardians.”

“Oh. I suppose that my guardians are with him.” I whispered, “Lance… will many die in this war?”

“I think yes.”

“Will you die?”

“How am I to know the future?” Asked Lance with a touch of amusement, “Are you worried about my well being?”

I blushed, “Who would not be? The world as we know it shall end if you perish.”

“Ahhh… so it is no more then natural concern. I see.” He turned his face away from me. Suddenly he laughed bitterly, “Willow, do you know how much I care for you? Did I ever tell you that if you died, I would loose all hope, all meaning in life?” He turned back, “Sometimes I thought I hated you. You know why?” I shook my head. “Because you tore my heart into a million shreds… You cannot comprehend the pain that chipped away and made a hole in my heart. And that hole has widened since you came back. The more I see you the more my heart breaks. I cannot stand you…” He paused and looked at the ceiling. His face contorted in pain, “And yet I cannot live without you. It’s a sickening twist is it not?”

I did not know what to say. I simply stared at him with wide eyes. Lance took my face in his hands, “I love you Willow… but I hate you also. What do I do in such a situation? Is there no way out? I am past the point of no return. No…” His eyes softened, “I passed that point the time you and I first officially met in the throne room? Do you remember that?”

I nodded, “Yes.”

“The look on your face when you saw me standing there…” Lance laughed, “I thought your eyes were literally going to pop out.” Lance leaned down, his lips barely brushed mine. My heart pounded in my chest, threatening to break itself free. I reached up to press my lips against his but he released me and stepped back, “You are my life, and you shall also be the death of me.”

I stumbled backwards surprised by his sudden release. I stood stiffly staring at him. I had a heart that could not comprehend his love for me. I sighed, “Why Lance? Why me? I showed no compassion to you. I treated you like dirt… stop loving me!” His eyes cut into me, “Please.” I begged.

Lance turned away from me but I saw his jaw clench and unclench. The silence was so long that when his deep voice broke it, I jumped, “Go back to bed Willow. You need the sleep.”

So I left and slept well into the next day. I was awakened by Hannah, “You need to get ready. Lance is willing to go to the surface for this afternoon and this afternoon only. Quick! Up!”

I rolled off my slab and stretched my aching back. Humans were not meant to sleep on stone, I thought to myself. Quickly I arranged myself appropriately and went out to meet Lance. He handed me a piece of bread and we began our journey. Lance took the lead then there was me, then Bavol and then Shamuth.

We walked in silence for the most part but eventually Bavol broke the silence, “I think the fresh air will do me good. It has been terribly dull sitting in those stuffy caves dreaming of sunlight.”

“I agree.” I said, “Why did you choose the caves for a hide-out anyways, Lance?”

“Because, Wind Beings are unable to travel for long underground. They would have to have a direct route to our caves in order to put up any sort of fight. They grow weak when they are not in open air.”

Bavol laughed, “They also have a terrible sense of direction. Once they start going in one direction, it is hard to change their course and the weaker ones get swept with them. But all together, going in the same direction, they can be a terribly overwhelming force.”

I shuddered, thinking of Hurricane leading a tidal wave of Wind Beings, “Are there only going to be Wind Beings fighting on Hurricane’s side?” I asked curiously.

Shamuth spoke this time, “No, there will be beasts of all shapes and sizes, beasts of dark forest and underground recesses, beast that have not been awakened for centuries.”

“What kinds of beasts?”

“Terrible ones, evil, straight from the deepest circle of Hell. They shall gut our entire army in one swipe if we do not train with intensity and vigor. If you were to see them, you would never want to sleep in a room alone again. You think Hurricane is powerful, just wait and see.”

“Enough Shamuth! No need to exaggerate.” Lance said sharply

“I am not exaggerating… I have seen these beasts in the first great war of the early years of this earth. They proved a great challenge for even the first Priest. And he did not even kill them all. Maybe that is how he perished.”

Suddenly I felt very, very afraid. How could I have been so deceived about Hurricane? What I heard then made me feel even worse about my betrayal.

After hours of climbing, and stumbling we made it to the surface. As soon as I stepped out into the warm sun and cool breeze I felt as though I should rejoice. But joy was far from the purpose of my journey. Now, I need to flee from them, I thought to myself.

Our group traveled down the slope of the mountain and into the glades of the forest. Bavol, Shamuth and Lance were deeply engrossed in a conversation and they did not notice when I slipped into a dark portion of the forest. Soon I was running as hard as I could, stumbling clumsily through the dense underbrush. The trees seemed to scowl at me as I passed by and they whispered my name in reproach. I glared back and continued to run ignoring their ridicule. Wind Beings whispered past me and I heard their childish laughter echoing. I wondered then how they could ever be cruel, how they could ever kill. I shouted for them to stop but they all disappeared so quickly.

Finally I came to the edge of the forest and I rushed to the top of a hill look desperately for a Wind Being. When I reached the top I gasped at the sight beyond. There, stretched out before me was a sea of emerald green grass. Its boundaries escaped the naked eye. Rolling hills only added to the effect and sturdy willow trees were dispersed throughout it. Two vast expanses of green and blue met at the horizon, a beautiful display of divine handiwork.

A Wind Being rushed past me and I shouted for her to stop. She stopped and gazed at me with clear, curious eyes, “Are you a follower of Hurricane?” I asked quietly.

The Wind Being nodded.

“Would you give this to Hurricane?” I handed her the letter and smiled as she left with it, tossing it in her breeze. I sunk down to the grassy surface of the hill and smiled contently. I focused on the beauty in front of me and for a moment forgot all of my problems. I smiled thinking that my father would once again be safe and could go back to aimless painting.

I thought of Steph then and wondered what had become of her. I knew that Lance would not kill her for helping me and would keep her in a comfortable place. Maybe he had sent her home already. My mind wandered unwillingly to Sabir. The thought of him brought a pang of guilt and sorrow. I sighed deeply. Oh how I desperately wanted to see those piercing, protective yellow eyes. I wanted to feel the strong, and once unyielding connection I had felt for so many years before. I felt a tear tumble down my cheek.

The sun faded behind me and the orangey haze of sunset fell like a blanket of fire across the plains before me. I dashed all my troubles from my mind and concentrated only on how beautiful it was. The grass rippled in the wind like the waves of a fiery ocean.

But the beauty, the serenity all changed within a single moment. It that moment a booming, deep, and horrendous voice shook the whole earth as it shouted, “You fool!” The whole sky darkened and the beautiful orange faded into dusk. Those words echoed across the plains and turned my blood to ice.

I leaped to my feet and turned to find Priest, not Lance, towering over me, blotting out the sun. His eyes were flashing like lighting in a stormy sky and his hair flickered in flames around his face. I trembled and stepped away, “Will you never believe me Willow? Will you never understand how truly evil Hurricane is?!” His voice became so low that I could barely make out the words. I could only feel the base sending a tremor through the mountains in the distance, “Why? WHY?!” His voice boomed through the darkening sky.

“Please, allow me to explain.” I gasped.

Lance shook his head, “No.” He said. The glint of fury and determination in his eyes told me that I was not going to be offered mercy this time. Lance unsheathed his sword and met my horrorstricken eyes, “I have given you enough chances.”

Then with a smooth motion he stabbed me, straight through my stomach. Pain erupted through my body and I let loose a deafening scream. I clutched my stomach and bit down hard on my lip to keep from screaming anymore. I raised my eyes to Priest. He had a look of disgust on his face and that look cut me deeper then any sword could cut, “Please, do not let me die!” I lifted my bloody hands and clung to his arm, “Please! I am not prepared to die! I beg of you!” Convulsions lurched through my body and I coughed up blood. I sunk back into the grass gazing at Priest with blurred vision, “Give me one last chance.”

Priest kneeled down beside me. His eyes were dark and emotionless, “No.” That word echoed through my mind. All was lost. I was going to die because I was trying to save my father. Lance did not know the truth and I did not have the strength to tell him. He would not believe me anyways. I knew there was only one way that my life might be spared, through Lance’s weakened heart.

With the last of my strength I threw my arms around Priest’s neck, unafraid of his flaming hair, and before he could react brought my lips to his. Priest’s entire body went rigid. After a tense moment his arms wrapped around me and he crushed me against himself. Although it hurt I did not cry out. His lips molded into mine and I felt all his love pouring through that single kiss. Love tore through me wanting to be denied wanting to be extinguished, but like the sea, always there, swelling and raging in torment. That was Lance’s love for me. I broke off the kiss, feeling that the last of my strength was spent. Priest lowered me gently to the bed of grass. I was going to die.

Priest’s eyes were wide with emotion and he had the most tortured look on his face. He suddenly placed his hand over my wound and began to whisper something that made the trees moan and the ground shake, wind that was not of a being swirled around, strange, magical.
Then my life and my perspective changed through the most horrible event of my life. Without warning pain that no words can describe seared through every bone, every muscle and every nerve within me.
Fire coursed through my veins and I screamed.
I screamed with my mouth wide open, my jaw stretched to the breaking point, so that the whole world could hear. My back arched so far I thought it was going to snap. My fingers dug into the earth hoping to find some relief there. The only thing I saw was red, the color of pain and blood.

The fire continued its rampage through my body and I felt myself slipping away into death. The fire tore my body apart and just when I thought it could not get worse, the pain increased. My screamed reached a higher pitch that I never thought was possible to hit. It echoed through the glades of the forest and caves of the mountains, it carried across the wide expanse of grass and sky.

In those moments images flickered through my mind. They were images of my childhood, of Sabir, of Lance, and of Hurricane. Voices filled my head from the past,

“Things are not always as they seem…”

Sabir’s yellow eyes flashed through my minds eye, “You are fooling yourself Willow. What Lance had for you was true love and no monster that you described could feel such a thing, therefore he is not a monster. If you would only open your eyes!”

“I thought you loved me for other reasons aside from my appearance.”

“You are the worst of fools, Willow.”

“You fool!”

Each phrase, each voice cut me deeper. It was then I understood how wrong I had been. I had fulfilled prophesy and had become the worst of fools and it took the most excruciating pain for me to see clearly.

My eyes were squeezed shut as I continued to scream. I hated myself. Why could I not begin again? I wanted to take it all back. If I had not been so naive then I would have never fallen for Hurricanes lies and charms. If only I had awakened before the nightmare began then everything would be different. I would be married by now and I would be living a happy life with Lance. But I could never go back. Lance would never take me again. I was a failure. The world would have been privileged if I had never been born. I tore into the ground wildly and screeched in anger, regret and pain. The tormenting fire revealed all to me and rid me of all previous blindness.

I loved the pain. I deserved it, in fact, I deserved worse than the pain I experienced in that moment. My head burned with the raging thoughts, the raging guilt. I dug my dirty nails into my face and clawed viciously. The pain was not enough, I needed more. I needed blood. I needed to bleed out my wrong doings.

Suddenly, as quickly as the pain had come, it was gone. I fell like a rag doll to the ground, limp and robbed of all strength. I could not move a single limb on my body. I was aware that my fingers were torn and bloodied from digging into the ground, my back ached from the impossible arch I had positioned myself in, and I could not speak for my vocal cords were raw.

My eyes sought Priest’s. But he was gone, walking down the hill where his companions waited at the edge of the forest. I saw Bavol with his head turned to the side, a tear rolling down his cheek. I could not imagine the sorrow he felt, watching his friend suffer. I did not deserve his pity.

Shamuth stood rigid, every vein in his corded arms popping out with the tenseness of his body. His jaw was clenched and I could see real horror in his eyes. Even he had never seen such pain.

Priest turned around and I met his eyes. They were dark and icy. I saw a flicker of pity and compassion but it disappeared and he turned his face away. I knew that somehow, through that pain, he had saved me from death. I wasn’t sure if I was thankful. Death instead of that searing pain would have been welcome.

Then my eyes met the very familiar eyes of a much missed companion, Sabir. His eyes held no emotion and his mouth was turned down in a frown. I tried with all my might to cry out to him but my mouth would not move and my voice would not obey. I could not believe that my closest friend could stand there and watch without the slightest look of compassion on his face. I pleaded with my eyes but Sabir turned from me and disappeared into the dark forest. A deep hopeless and sinking feeling settled on me. Now I knew what it was like to be betrayed.

I lay on the hill buried in the deep grass, waiting. I felt my strength coming back to me every so slightly but I was still incredibly weak. The night came and went; I slept through most of it but was awakened often by the howl of a wolf or hoot of an owl. I kept thinking to myself that Priest simply saved me so I could die a worse death at the mercy of a wild animal. I knew that I was not going to have the strength to walk for another week and therefore if an animal did not kill me, I would starve to death. I already felt hunger gnawing away at my stomach. I saw no hope for me, nothing that could save me. I was dead and that was the simple truth.

Oh how I wished I could gain the forgiveness of all those I had hurt, before I died, but I could not. Instead I could only think, and thinking led to the deep sense of regret that would haunt me till my last breath. The sun rose high into the sky and baked me alive. I could not help but wonder if Priest had thought of me in the last few hours and had felt sorrow for me. I shook my head, no, he saw me as a pain in the neck and something to get rid of. I moaned and turned slowly onto my side burying my face into the grass to hide from the sun. I fell into a restless sleep filled with dreams of Sabir turning his back on me. I woke calling out to him with my weak voice, tears rolling down my cheeks. Just then I felt a gust of cold wind sweep over the hills and over the wide plains beyond. I moaned as I realized who it was. I shivered and looked up to see Hurricane standing over me. His eyes were filled with horror at the sight of me, “Please!” I begged in my hoarse voice, “I got the directions for you. I did everything in my power to get them to you! Save me.”

“I would if I could,” Came his sad, pity filled voice, “You are now claimed by Priest. I can no longer touch you.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Look at your stomach, fool.”

I tried to sit up but fell back, breathing hard, “I cannot.”

Hurricane shook his head and closed his eyes. Then he turned to leave.

“Wait!” I cried, “I tried my hardest, please, save me!”

Hurricane turned his eyes filled with sorrow and fear, “No. You are no longer mine or even your own. I know no spells to help you. Pray that help will come, for it will not be of my hand.” With that he was gone sweeping into the forest, my last spark of hope.

I sighed heavily, I should have known he would not help me. He was evil. I realized then, that the war was no longer about me. I had lost all importance and was useless. I pondered Hurricane’s words about Priest claiming me. I tried once more to sit up but the pain forced me to fall back down.

Just then I heard a rustling to the right of me. I stiffened dreading what would come through the parting grass. Suddenly the large head of black jaguar came inches away from mine. I screamed as loud as I could, which was not very loud. The jaguar looked at me with intelligent green eyes that seemed to pity me. I stopped screaming and realized that this jaguar was not intending to kill me. No, it must be a guardian of some kind. The jaguar disappeared and a second later the tall figure of a man came to tower over me. I cowered away not bothering to beg for help.

A slightly familiar gravelly voice spoke, “Willow? What ever has become of thou?”

I turned my face and peered up at the face so similar to mine, “Wiltar?”

“Yes, it be Wiltar.”

“I…”

“No, keep quiet. I perceive that thou art broken. I shall carry thee to my dwelling in the forest and nurse thee back to proper health.” He swept me gently into his arms and began the trek to his home. We seemed to walk for hours and I noticed that I never saw the jaguar again. I intended to ask him about it but Wiltar gave me no chance to, instead while we were walking he told me his story.

“Where I was born, I know not.” He began quietly, “I have been told my mother twas a rare beauty, though filled with much fear, she was fleeing from something. I know not what it was but all say it was something terrible. My mother left me in a small village that dwelt in the mountains. There I was cared for by the blacksmith and his wife who was barren. They took me in eagerly and raised me as their own. I was loved like a true son and the blacksmith taught me his trade. It was then, preceding my fifteenth birthday that they discovered I had a strange and, what many would call, a demonic gift… I could see portions of the future. Being a small village, it was superstitious and fear driven… my parents tried to cloak my gift from the public and they accomplished this very well until, at my seventeenth birthday, I was granted yet another gift… the ability to morph into any beast I wished; twas the last straw. My parents feared me though were not willing to shun the son they had loved for so many a year. I could see the anxiety it bestowed upon them and I felt as a wretch would feel. Therefore, I fled.

“I was a strong boy and wise in the ways of the wilderness. I had killed many a beast in my young age, and being part beast myself, could survive with ease. I traveled through the mountains until by chance I befell upon the plains of Renagaad and this forest. It was disparate from anything I had ever known. Beasts that I have never seen before dwell here, Wind Beings roam freely, for they did not where I was from, and a war was and is brewing. This place captured my curiosity and imagination so I settled in this forest and I live life constantly on the edge. I have come near death many times for I never flee danger.” Then he smiled down at me, “But now that I have someone to be guardian over, I shall be more careful.

“When I saw thee, I was hunting in the caves for a beast. A large one it was and a great distress it has been to me. I have located its lair and I shall shoot it down with an arrow when thou art well. For I shall not risk leaving thee be in such a state as this.”

I frowned as I thought over his story. It sounded strangely like mine; my mother was afraid of something or someone. She quickly left me in the hands of Lance whom she barely knew. She was also an unfathomable beauty. I could not help but wonder if there was a connection between Wiltar and I. But I did not bring it up, for I could not think straight and I feared my words would be slurred and incoherent. Wiltar continued to talk, “My story is not as fascinating as thine. I have not encountered great powers such as Hurricane and Priest. I am not the reason for war either… I am certainly not as important as thou art.”

“Oh no,” I interrupted, “I am no longer an important piece.” My words were pronounced very carefully to make sure they did not slur. Instead I had a fit of coughing because the strain of talking tickled my throat. When I had regained composure I continued on, “You see, Priest tried to kill me and he would have if I had not thought quickly and…” I paused thinking of the right words, “convinced… him to keep me alive. Then Hurricane came and said I was of no further use to him. I do not understand how I could be so important and then suddenly with no reason, loose all purpose.”

Wiltar narrowed his eyes at me, “Art thou a daughter of three kings?”

The question shocked me but I nodded, “Yes. Or so Lance tells me.”

Suddenly Wiltar began to sing softly,

“Cursed is she
This daughter of three
Kings of old
A story painfully told

Wrong choices shall have their wrath
Never, she treads the comforting path
Causing her ceaseless pain
Nothing she stood to gain

The only manner of ending her strife
Would be by way of ending a life
Oh the woven entanglement
The web, her cause of mournful lament

Queen of the world she soon shall be
For her true heart a mighty victor shall see
Her love of evil has left a stain
But heed, beauty shall derive from pain”


The song had a terrible eeriness to it. A chilly wind moaned through the forest and I heard the words being whispered through the trees. I shuddered and looked up at Wiltar. He gazed at me sorrowfully, “I do not perceive a very promising future for thee. Thou shall see clearly in the end nonetheless.”

“Where did you hear that song?” I asked.

“It simply came to me as an idea or thought. One day I was sauntering through the woods and suddenly that song began to play in my head and the words haunted me for long afterwards. I knew not what it meant and why it came to me but I accepted it as a portion of something to come in the future. I sung it in town squares and throughout the forests so I dare say that Wind Beings picked it up and began to sing it.”

“Lance heard it. Do you know whose life is to end?”

Wiltar shook his head, “All I know is that the death will shake the world.”

I shivered hoping desperately that it would not be the death of someone close or the death of Priest. I feared what the world would become with him gone. Hurricane would take over and make slaves of everyone. That would defiantly not be the end to my strife therefore it could not be the death of Priest. I clung to that little bit of hope and closed my eyes.

I awoke in the early morning of the next day. I was lying on a cot of furs in the corner of a small room. I rubbed my eyes and slipped from the bed. I touched my sword wound on my stomach expecting it to be tender but instead I only felt the raised, smooth skin of a scar healed for a long time. I lifted my shirt to look at my stomach and gasped. Instead of the slash that I expected, there was an adorned P. It was the strangest P I had ever seen. The design was singular and almost breathtaking.

Now I understood what Hurricane meant when he said that Priest had marked me. I was afraid of what it meant. I pulled my shirt down and blinked. Was I now Priest’s possession? I shoved the thought to the back of my mind and looked around me.

The house was made entirely out of wood unlike the clay and brick houses of Withalm. I looked around and saw many furs, bones of animals, and weapons. Then in the corner of the room I saw a painting. I was surprised to know that Wiltar could paint. I peered at the painting and saw that it was of Hannah. She gazed out from the picture with soft eyes and an amused smile playing on her lips. The picture seemed so real that I felt as though Hannah would start to speak any moment.

I turned to the window then and peered out. I gasped at the sight. We were in the highest tree of the entire forest and I could look out and see for miles the tree tops of other trees. I leaned out and looked down towards the forest floor, it was a long way down and I feared if a storm came this house would be blown straight from the tree. I turned to the right and saw more rooms connected by rope bridges and sturdy branches. I smiled to myself, “How creative.” I said out loud.

“Thank ye,” Said a voice behind me, “I worked very hard.” I turned to see Wiltar standing in the doorway with a bowl of something steaming, “I made thee some stew.” He said smiling broadly. Obviously he was proud of his meal. I took the stew from him and ate it quickly. It was very delicious and filling.

After I was done I asked, “Why do you have a painting of Hannah over there in the corner?”

Wiltar glanced at it and a red hue tinted his cheeks, “That was not to be seen.” He walked over and picked it up. He gazed at it and smiled softly, “I met her on the plains while hunting. Our paths crossed and she smiled at me, I have never forgotten her since. Thou mentioned her name was Hannah?”

I nodded, “She’s one of my closest friends. Even though we are often parted, she is always on my mind, for she is a maiden like none other.”

“That be true. I can see it through her eyes.”

I smiled knowingly. Wiltar was in love I could see that much and only after a simple encounter too. Hannah had many men pursuing her, but the one she picked would have to be a man like none other. I could not imagine her with anyone aside from the greatest. I wondered to myself if Wiltar would just be another with a broken heart that would be forever unhealed. I sighed and pushed my bowl to the middle of the table. I leaned back in my chair and feeling very satisfied.

“Is thine strength returning?” Wiltar asked with genuine concern filling his eyes.

“Yes. I think I shall be well in no time. Then you shall teach me all your tricks of the forest so that if I ever become lost, I shall know how to survive.”

“Survive…” Wiltar said the word uncertainly, “No normal man can survive for long, Willow. No matter the tricks thou mayst learn, thou shalt become a most lovely meal for the beasts of these woods. No, thou must never come into these forests alone. Thou shalt die.”

“But what if it is essential? What if the only possible chance of survival would be this forest? I must learn some tricks.”

“Then I shall teach thee well.” He paused as though deep in thought. Suddenly he rose from his crouched position beside the painting and began to look around the room, “Hmmm… where did I stash that?” he asked himself as he rummaged through chests and trunks of unknown possessions.

“What are you looking for?”

“It be a horn, a magic horn that only I can hear. I forged it and placed spells on it. Ah ha!” He said triumphantly as he pulled a delicate horn from a trunk of odds and ends. He brought it to me and placed the string around my neck, “If thou ever happens to be lost in these woods, blow thine horn and I shall find thee without hesitation.” He smiled comfortingly, “I shall still teach thee my tricks. No worries should haunt thee. Thou shall be safer then any being in this forest.”

I accepted the horn and felt very safe and protected. I now had a new friend that I felt would not leave me, for it seemed as though he did not take sides with the war. Although, I had to be sure, “Wiltar, what is your opinion of the war at hand? Which side do you take?”

Wiltar raised an eyebrow and said in his low gravelly voice, “The war? Yes, well I have no opinion. I do not wish to be mingled in its consequences, so I avoid it by hiding away in this forest in which no man dare go.” He smiled, “Thou art welcome to accompany me to wait out the war.”

The offer sounded very tempting but I knew to avoid war was to avoid the inevitable. I was still a large part of it even though the two sides did not acknowledge me as one. I was more then I spy for Hurricane. I was a great weakness to Priest and somehow I would figure out how to be a great threat to Hurricane. I did not know how but I would find Hurricane’s weakness and I would kill that demon myself, “No, I think I must be part of the war. I must help Priest destroy Hurricane, for if that does not happen, then Hurricane shall put the world under slavery and he shall rule like a cruel god. Do you know of anything that can defeat Hurricane?”

Wiltar gazed at me with clear green eyes, “Thou.” He said simply.

“What?” I could not believe my ears. That was not possible, I was weak, I knew no spells and had no powers, therefore, how could I possible defeat him?

“Thou art able.” Wiltar repeated calmly.

“How?” I whispered.

“I shall show thee. But first thou shall rest and regain all strength then I shall reveal all.”

I felt anxious to know, I could barely contain my excitement but I pushed the rising anticipation down and stifled my questions. I rose and moved back to my bed the walk from the table to the bed exhausted me and my excitement drained me. Wiltar was beside me in a moment, “Thine blood hast drained from thy face. Sleep Willow. Thou shalt know all in time.”

I lay down and closed my eyes. Images of uncontested powers flowed through my mind, images of terrible magic flowing through me, and images of the defeat of Hurricane. Was there some power hidden within me? Could I sweep away nations with the stroke of my hand? I shook my head, my imagination was over leaping itself.

The weeks went by quickly. I slept through most of it, regaining my strength little by little. Soon I was able to go for walks through the forest with the help of Wiltar. He constructed a staff for me out of a branch. While we were going for walks Wiltar told me all I could possible take in about the forest, its inhabitants and the ways to avoid encountering the worst of the beasts. I learnt much about which plants were safe to eat and which were poisonous. I asked him how he had learnt all of this without getting poisoned himself. He simply said that he watched other animals and noticed which plants killed and which gave life. There was much memory involved in the lessons and often we had to review.

When I had enough strength to spare, we would sword fight. Wiltar went easy on me at first when he was afraid of threatening my health, but when health was no longer an object he bruised me and cut me with no compassion. I often became furious with the constant battering and would refuse to fight anymore unless he stopped hurting me so much. That was unsuccessful; he continued to hit me until our sparring time was up. Eventually my sore muscles ceased to torment me and I actually could hold him off for longer then a few blows. I never expected to own up to his ability and standards but I tried hard. I worked myself beyond exhaustion some days. Wiltar saw this and was pleased with my effort.

I often asked him when he was going to show me how to defeat Hurricane but he would only make a funny face and say, “Thou should not be expecting to know spells and wizardry. Heroes are often the simplest of humans.”

As time went on, I was becoming more and more convinced that Wiltar was my brother if not my twin. We were around the same age though I was not sure how old I was and looked strikingly similar. Wiltar had inherited our father’s talent for painting and from what I knew of my mother we had both inherited her black hair and green eyes. I did not put voice to my suspicions but I felt a strange one of a kind connection between us. It was the love of siblings, I thought to myself. What else could it be? I knew it was not romantic feelings for I had had felt those strongly before and knew this was nothing like it. I was pleased by our growing relationship and trust.

One day while Wiltar was out hunting for food, I was sitting on a branch of a tree letting my legs hang down. I was slightly sulky because I had finally realized that I would have no extraordinary powers to kill Hurricane with. I was thinking how I could ever get near enough to him to have a decent fight. His wind would blow me away with no effort. I played with a piece of my dark hair pondering the future war. I heard a rustling to my left and I looked down at the forest floor to see what it was. The rustling stopped and nothing emerged. Must have been a small rodent, I thought carelessly.

I raised my eyes to forest canopy. Suddenly I heard a rabid snarl inches away from my ear. I snapped my head around to see the most disgusting mutated animal I had ever thought possible, nose to nose with me. Its eyes took up half of its face and they were dark orbs with no pupils, the teeth were jagged and bared, bloodstained and vicious. A shaggy coat of dark fur covered the crouched monster. It was larger then a horse but could still maintain its crouched position on a thin branch.

As I stared at it, horror stricken and frozen I saw its muscles tense for a leap and I knew I had to jump too. Just as I tipped over the branch hundreds of other eyes and mouths opened and the thing lunged for me. It caught my shirt barely with one of its mouths. Thankfully my shirt ripped and I landed it a pathetic heap at the forest floor. Pain shot through my ankle, that jump had been far too high.

I rolled to my feet and cast a glance up at the branch. Only the beast was no longer on the branch, it was soaring through the air, claws retracted. I screeched as I twirled out of the way. The twelve claws on its one hand caught me and sliced through my back. I did not scream for this pain was hardly anything to me. I had endured much worse and it took much more then a couple of scratches to make me cry out.

I fell into a bush but quickly somersaulted to my feet while grabbed the two knives that were strapped to my calves. I stood and tried to prepare myself for another attack, but the thing came on too quickly. With a roar of frustration it launched towards me again and this time the full weight of its body came crashing down on me. Surprisingly it was terribly light for its size, but nonetheless, terrible vicious. The mouths were all snapping at me and one sunk into my left arm.

My knife managed to cut into one of the eyes on the beast’s stomach and that saved me. Blood gushed from the wound and onto my face. The beast rolled away from me screeching in pain. I whipped the blood from my face with the back of my hand and once again stood ready for another strike.

We circled staring each other in the eyes. For me, I looked straight into the eyes at the center of his head. We circled, muscles tense, knives and talons ready. I erased all fear from my mind and concentrated on every movement waiting for the moment it would strike.

Then I saw it twitch and I was moving before the beast knew it. I ducked under the sweep of its great arm and spun to the back of it. I stabbed at it but the knife did not go as deep as I hoped, and I had no idea where his heart was. I spun and twisted avoided the lashing talons and the snapping teeth. I knew I could not keep this up for long, for I was far weaker then this thing. If it entrapped me in its arms, I was a goner, and I knew it. It was hard to avoid any type of beast lunging at you, especially when you had to twist away with a sprained ankle from a giant mass that looms above you. Finally when I could take no more, the sweep of its great arm caught me and I felt the claws cut into my cheek. I was thrown into the bushes.

The thing’s jaws opened wide enough to swallow me whole. I threw my knife at its open mouth but missed and instead hit its shoulder. This only made it angrier. I cried out as it ravenously snapped its teeth at me, missing by inches. It reached for me again when out of the bushes a wild, angry jaguar leaped, colliding with the beast. I scrambled away from the vicious fight unable to tear my eyes off of it.

Blood was everywhere and I had a problem seeing whose it was. The jaguar was far more cunning and quick than this beast and therefore was the main one to strike. Finally after much dodging and tricky fighting the jaguar leaped and attached itself to the throat of the beast. I turned my face away from the gore and waited till the forest was silent. I looked back and saw the Jaguar watching me with bloodied mouth and wild eyes. I stood shakily and glanced disgustedly at the pile of meat that lay before him. I turned from the scene and climbed wearily up the rope ladder to the tree house. Once I was up I gathered the ladder and placed it on the floor so that no other animal could come up.

The throbbing in my left arm reminded me that I needed treatment. I took the basin of water in my room and dabbed a rag into it. Gently I washed out my own wounds until Wiltar came home. He walked in and smiled wearily, “Thou art a greater fighter then I expected.”

I wondered how he knew about the battle and then suddenly I remembered that he could turn into animals. “So you were the jaguar?” I asked trying not to show my fear of his ferocity in battle.

“Yes. Willow, thou shalt see far worse in thine life to come. Prepare.” With that he threw me a bandage and walked from the room.

I had trouble tying the bandage myself and I wondered why Wiltar had not taken the time to help me. I tied the bandage with my right hand and my teeth. It was not perfect, but good enough. I had many other minor scratches and many bruises as well as a sprained ankle and a deep gash on my cheek. I had to admit though, it was not too bad for one of my first fights.

I sighed deeply; I had just gotten over my other weakness, now I had to wait for these wounds to heal too. Life was not going as I wished it to go, that was for certain. I snorted, would it ever? It had not been going my way since birth. If I had a wish, it would be to start over with a real family, a sane mom and dad and a brother with whom I had grown up. Instead I had a stranger for a brother, if he was my brother at all. There seemed to be no doubt when I looked at him but I felt as though I should not get my hopes up only to have them dashed. Life always took unexpected turns for me.

I healed spectacularly and I was soon back to training with Wiltar. We worked hard on tracking and hunting. I learned to run silently through the forest, expertly dodging trees, leaping over bushes, swimming through dangerous rivers, climbing trees, and sneaking up on animals. I was very proud of myself. Many months must have passed by for my muscles had become entirely solid and I could run for hours without stopping.

Wiltar’s pride shone in his eyes and he told me that I was more dangerous then the worst of predators in this forest. I believe he was exaggerating but I took the compliment with a broad grin.

Wiltar told me that two years had passed since he found me on that hill on the edge of the plains. I was amazed at how quickly time had gone. I had thought of Lance often and my heart still ached to think of how he left me to die. He cared not for me, so I must forgive and forget him.

I had also never lived so long without my guardians. My heart was truly broken inside, missing them. I wanted to call out to them with my mind but I knew they would be too far away. I would often wake in the night calling Sabir’s name. Wiltar saw my pain and one day he came up to me and said, “Willow, thou art unwell without thine guardians. Thou must leave this dwelling. Thou hast learned everything I can teach thee. Thou art as agile as an elf and vicious as a wild beast. Now, thou must leave and mend thine broken heart. Yonder men and beasts shall need thee in this war.”

So a week later I left. Wiltar saw me to the edge of the forest and told me that if I ever simply needed to visit, he would be waiting. I kissed him on both cheeks and gave him a warm hug. Then I began my search to find the new hideout of Priest. I gathered information here and there from Wind Beings who could not help but gossip.

They told me that they had seen Priest’s party travel over the mountains and they disappeared without a trace. I frowned and made my way to the edge of the mountains. I traveled for weeks, living on scarce meat that I hunted down myself. The skills I had been taught by Wiltar, proved to be very useful. I made my own winter outfit though it took weeks to complete and soon I was off.

Traveling through the mountains proved to be the most treacherous trek, cold and dangerous. To my surprise and disgust I came upon a trail of frozen bodies. Many had been killed by Wind Being weapons, I could tell because of the strange turquoise color that was left around each wound. I suspected that Priest’s party had been hunted and some had stood to fight for the survival of the rest of the group. I felt my stomach sinking as I saw too, that some guardians had died.

In one valley I came across a village, burnt to the ground. Decaying bodies lay strewn everywhere, all bearing the same vile mark of Wind Being slaughter. I shuddered and moved on, hoping that this was the only village.

I followed a path of bodies up a steep climb until I came to a dead end. There were no more bodies, and no more Wind Beings to help me. Straight ahead of me, a few yards away was a passage through high, mountainous cliffs. I frowned and walked through. I stood at the brink of a dark valley. There were sharp jagged mountains surrounding the entire valley leaving no way to get in, aside from the passage I had found. I looked over my shoulder and saw a vast world, laid out before me. I could see over the other mountains and see the great forest in which Wiltar lived and the plains which stretched as far as the eye could see to left of that. I could see faintly in the distance the great city of Withalm with its surrounding towns and districts.

I turned back and narrowed my eyes at the valley before me, this must have been where Priest disappeared to. Suddenly an image flashed in my mind. It was one of my father’s paintings, the one of the peaceful, bustling valley, unaware of the fire that was creeping over the mountain peeks.

I gasped as I realized this was the same valley. The mountains were exact, down to the last detail. Only now, instead of a bustling city, the place was overgrown by trees, and was a dense forest. I continued through the entrance when I heard something to my left. My bow and arrow were out and ready, pointing straight at the great Shamuth bundled up in thick furs just as I was. He stared with hard un-recognizing eyes, bow and arrow also at the ready. I looked around and realized I was surrounded by many other archers.

I lowered my bow and stared straight into Shamuth’s eyes. His eyes suddenly widened in recognition and his mouth opened in disbelief, “Willow?” He asked, “Is that really you?”

I was confused, I was sure I did not look that much different, “Yes, it is I.”

Shamuth lowered his bow and motioned for the others to do so as well. His eyes flickered with conflicted emotions. I did not recognize what was there but what utterly shocked me was that it was no longer loathing, “I thought you died.”

“No, I was saved by a man who lived in the forest.”

Shamuth frowned, “Who? No man can live in that forest alone!”

“He was no ordinary man.” I said with pride, “He could morph into any animal he wished, though he mainly chose a jaguar.”

Shamuth grunted. But I could tell he was impressed. He continued to stare at me as though at any moment I would turn out to only be a delusion. He turned to his other archers, “Back to your posts!” He shouted. Then he grabbed hold of my arm and dragged me after him, “What are you thinking coming back here?! You know we wanted nothing else to do with you!”

“I want to fight against Hurricane.”

“How do we know you are not a spy?”

I felt my hatred for Shamuth rekindle, “Would Hurricane send me back to be a spy to a man who completely rejected me?”

“I would not think him to be so foolish and I would not think you to be so foolish either.” Shamuth paused and a troubled expression wiped away the sneer, “Although, it seems as though he may have been waiting for you.”

“Who?”

“Priest.”

I shuddered involuntarily, frightened at the prospect of seeing him again. I was afraid he would throw me out again. I could not bear to be torn away from my guardians once again. Shamuth took me through the forest on well worn trails. As we walked I asked, “Why are you hiding? Why has the war been stalled?”

Shamuth laughed bitterly, “You have been tucked away in that forest far too long.”

“What do you mean?”

“There was a war… when the Wind Beings came into our hide-out.” He cast an accusing glance at me. “We were prepared, but that was of no use. A monster called the Lybrathon killed nearly half our numbers. We managed to escape and we fled to the mountains. Priest led us here and here we have hidden waiting, and searching for any sign of hope.”

I felt deep regret settle in. It was my entire fault. Now there was barely any competition for Hurricane. He would control the world in a manner of months. Shamuth continued, “Hurricane has taken over the smaller villages and is making his way to Withalm.” He shook his head sadly, “The humans have been rid of their blindness and they are preparing best they can for war. They know not how to fight such beings so they shall be demolished soon enough. Priest has done all he can to help. He’s sent men to help train the humans, best they can. The Dwarves have been reached but have not responded to our plea for help. It seems as though all hope has slipped through our fingers.” He glanced at me, “We know about your father and the threat Hurricane placed over your head. You have been forgiven by some… I now realize that you are more precious then any of us expected. Once you left, Priest was drained of much power and happiness. He loathed himself for what he did to you.”

I could not believe Shamuth was telling me this, and with a compassionate tone in his voice too. What had happened to soften such a hard heart?

We entered a small clearing where a large camp of tents dwelt in the clearing and were dispersed amongst the trees. In the middle of the camp was a larger tent which I guessed was Priest’s.

Shamuth led me by the arm into the tent. It was dark so it took a while for my eyes to adjust. When they did, I saw Priest sitting cross legged before a simmering fire with his back to us. His broad shoulders blotted out the fire. Bavol, Sabir, and Merlin were on the other side of the fire; all three glanced up at me casually and narrowed their eyes trying to recognize me. Suddenly Bavol leaped to his feet and Sabir’s yellow eyes filled with relief and amazement. Merlin on the other hand quickly masked his surprise and glanced, concerned, at Priest. Priest stiffened immediately, “Shamuth? What is it?”

Shamuth showed no fear, though all the rest did, “Willow. She has returned.” He said simply and firmly.

Priest stood slowly and turned around. He looked as though he had been punched in the stomach. He was not breathing, his lips were white, pressed firmly together and his eyes were wide. He had changed much since I had seen him last, his complexion had paled and his cheeks had sunken in and the black circles that had been faint before, were now terrifyingly dark. I could not stand to see the pain in his eyes for it pierced me so deep. He was even taller then I remembered and his veins popped out from his corded arms as he clenched and unclenched his fists.

“Willow?” His voice broke and he took two steps towards me and then hesitated. Shamuth moved away and averted his gaze. Priest’s eyes searched my face for answers, but I could not speak for I feared I would break out into tears.

I then heard a voice in my head, “You have finally come to your senses haven’t you?”

I heard that voice and I nearly broke down. But I blinked the tears back and instead, begged, “Please forgive me! All of you! What a fool I have been! I have betrayed you and you have had to pay dearly because of it. I cannot stand myself! Throw me out if you will but please understand that I am sorry. I do not deserve such friends as you. My heart is breaking from the mistakes I have made.”

I felt Sabir nuzzle my hand with his soft velvet nose, “You are forgiven.”

Priest’s eyes told me that he believed me and forgave me, although part of me wished he would not. I did not deserve such kindness.

Priest sighed, “I have forgiven you long ago Willow. But can you forgive me?”

“You?” I laughed despite my humbling situation, “You saved my life, you removed my blindness. How can you ask such a question? There has never been a true offence in my mind against you!”

Priest took another step and encased me in his arms, “Willow.” He said, his melancholy voice etched with pain, “I cannot do without you!” He whispered so no one else could hear. Then he pulled back and gazed at my face, “Whatever happened to you Willow?”

“What do you mean?” I asked. I truly had not looked at my own face in the mirror for ages and I did not care to. I knew I would not be a pleasing sight.

Priest laughed lightly, though it sounded more like a painful wheeze then the musical rumble I had been used to. He grabbed a mirror for me and held it up. I looked at myself and gasped. I had changed drastically. The scar on my cheek was menacing and frightening. My eyes were wild and flashing with dangerous emotion. My face was leaner as was the rest of my body and my mouth was no longer soft and feminine, but hard and fierce from many years of pain. I gaped at the stranger in front of me. Quickly I handed the mirror back to Priest and gazed at the floor, trying to think of the right words to say.

Priest took hold of my hand and led me to the fire, “Tell me Willow… what happened to you?”

So I told him everything from the moment he left me. I even told of my suspicions of Wiltar being my brother. Priest’s eyes were like a sad show of emotion. I now know what people meant when they said that the eyes are the gateway to the soul. I felt as though I were looking straight into Priest’s tortured soul. I had to avoid his gaze in order to keep from crying. When I told him of my near death experiences Priest’s entire body went rigid and his jaw clenched so tight I thought surly his teeth would shatter from the pressure. I feared that he would burst out in rage and anger, but even though his eyes flashed and flickered dangerously, he maintained his temper and did not burst.

Priest still cares. I thought satisfactorily, he would not show such emotion if he did not. Priest’s piercing gaze met mine when I was finished. I gazed back trying to convey the deep regret I held in my heart. He seemed to understand for his eyes softened and so did his entire expression. I then stood and slipped out of the tent.

Sabir followed me close behind, “I do not know how I survived these past years without you.” His fiery gaze met mine as I looked down at the lethal animal beside me, “I never wanted to leave you Willow. I never would have if I did not know it was for the best. I thought you would see that what you were doing was wrong when I left. But it took much more then that.”

“I fulfilled the worst of my prophesy.” I said telepathically, “But there is still much more to come.”

Sabir lead me to a tent which he assured me was not being used, “The previous owner died over a week ago fighting off a raid of Wind Beings.”

I shuddered, “I do not want to live the house of the dead.”

“It is not house, it is a tent. No spirit of the dead will come back to this pitiful excuse of a home.”

His words comforted me and I believed him willingly. I ducked under the tent flap and was astonished to find that there was already a fire burning and a fresh bed made and ready for me, “Were you expecting me?”

“We are always prepared for any stragglers. This valley is no secret and the few that survive the destruction of their villages come here.”

Confusion swept over me, “Why do you not fight?” I asked accusingly, “There are so many who need help. Why are you hiding like cowards behind these giant cliffs? We shall not win this war if we are afraid.”

A deep purr rumbled through Sabir’s body, “I see your bravery has extended beyond the bounds caution and reason… like normal.” I shot him a glare. The purring stopped and Sabir rolled his eyes, “How are we to fight with so little numbers Willow? Priest has been weakened because of the loss of you, he cannot fight a battle in the state he is in.” His eyes tore through my soul, “You’re the only one who can heal him. Right now, Hannah is collecting all the Wind Beings that will help and is guiding many a vagabond into our welcoming arms. Shamuth starts out tomorrow to the West to find those villages that have been forgotten by the world to ask them to join with us. In a months time we will have twice our numbers” He paused thinking, “We shall be ready to wage war by the end of this year.”

I gave him a disgusted looked as I kicked off my shoes and climbed under my blankets, “Why must Priest be so dependant on me? It is as though I sustain him and if I die he will die. Can he not be strong and a powerful leader just as his father was without me by his side?”

Sabir’s eyes hardened and his teeth flashed as a growl rumbled from his throat, “You are his one weakness Willow, his one and only. Without you his is weak, with you he is strong. That is how he defeated Hurricane the first time, with you by his side. When he says that he cannot live with out you… he means it literally. When you die, he shall die with you.”

“That is absurd!” I shouted out loud.

“What is absurd?” said a melodious, deep voice.

Lance. I knew that voice oh too well. I raised my eyes to find him standing in the door way, “I apologize. There is nothing to knock on.” He said with a wry smile that reminded me of better days.

I quickly sat up in my bed, wrapping the blankets around me for warmth, whenever I saw Lance I felt a strange chill run over my body, although it was not an unpleasant chill. Lance didn’t seem to notice. He sunk down beside the fire and gazed at it for a moment in silence, I saw his eyes flicker to meet Sabir’s and I knew they were talking telepathically. It made me feel excluded and jealous, “Do not keep from me what you are speaking of!”

Lance’s eyes flickered to mine and then dropped back to the fire, “You are my life whether you like it or not.”

“Oh so you had to tell him what we were speaking of.” I snapped at Sabir. I then spoke to Lance, “I do not like to have another life dependant on me. It is unfair. Whatever curse you placed on me, take it away.”

Lance stood and glared at me. He took two steps and he was beside me pulling me to my feet, “You are so quick to jump to conclusions! Listen for a moment!”

I yanked my arm to free myself from his grip but to no avail. He was stronger then I remembered, so I lowered my defiant gaze and said, “I am listening.”

“For once.” He muttered under his breath, “I am not weak like you think I am.”

I shot a deathly look at Sabir. He had told Lance far too much.

“You are my only weakness.” He said avoiding my gaze, “I did not realize it, but when I put that mark on you… that P on your stomach, I also put my life in your hands. You are now my lifeblood. I removed your blindness, but I gave you part of me. I cannot be killed except through you. Truthfully they only need to slice through the P and then I will die, and you could still live. But the latter stands, if you die, I die.”

I blinked in disbelief, “You lie!” I gasped, “You cannot possibly put such a responsibility on my shoulders! You mean that if I die, then the world will come to an end?”

“Well, in a way. The world as we know it will come to an end but not the actual world. Although,” He added with a rueful smile, “it saves me the pain of living without you.”

I felt my stomach sink, “How dare you!” I slammed my balled fist against his chest.

Lance made a face, “I did not want to, believe me. It puts you in a very risky position if anyone finds out.” He caught my wrist before I hit him again, “Now you must remain out of the way of battle.” He said with a victorious grin, “For I know you have been training and I would not have wanted you to risk your life either way.”

My mouth gaped open, “But no! I wanted to fight!”

“I know.” Lance said with a disapproving gaze, “I am actually quite glad it worked out this way.”

The smugness on Lance’s face drove me insane. I wanted to slap that smirk off his face but I could not. He held my arm and my wrist to keep me from it. I struggled against his hold on me but he would not let go, “Why must we always quarrel when we are together?” He asked feigning a sad face.

I turned my face away from his amused gaze, “Quarrel is an understatement. We have both attempted at killing each other.”

Lance laughed the laugh I remembered so well, the laugh that was like deep tremulous music, “That is true enough, but we must stop.” He slipped his calloused hand underneath my chin and turned me to face him, “It is terribly difficult being in love with a girl who will not give me any sweet words or kisses”

My cheeks heated at the words, “You have not earned them!”

Lance raised an eyebrow as his gaze dropped to my lips. He pulled me closer and bent his head to kiss me. I could not move or look away, I was trapped in his gaze and his arms. I hated feeling so helpless. I hated not being able to reign in my emotions, the truth was, I hated not being in control. Suddenly Lance laughed, I felt it rumble through his body, “You’re eyes are as big as saucers, Willow.” He took a step away, “It reminds me of a day when you were innocent and more feminine.”

“What?! More feminine? What do you mea…”

“I mean when you wore extravagant gowns, when you waited on a princess, when you at least tried to act like a woman, and when you even went the extra mile to look beautiful for me.” He smiled in remembrance, “Remember? The Forest Wanderers and their Ball? You were a sight to behold. Now you wear clothing that looks as though it belongs to a man and you fight just as well as half of them.”

“How do you know that I fight so well?”

Lance suddenly blushed, “I was given updates by Sabir. He can see through your eyes remember?”

“You were anxious for me?”

His eyes blazed with sudden unveiled passion, “You know I was.”

I turned my back on him to get away from that fire, “When will we fight Lance? When will we free this world of Hurricane?” I sunk down to my mat with a sigh, “I have seen enough suffering and heard enough tales, I want revenge. I want to kill Hurricane myself. I want to put an end once and for all to him.”

“Willow, he has been roaming this earth since the beginning foundations. How can you expect to completely destroy such a creature? He may be put at bay but he shall never be completely destroyed.”

“There must be a way.” I said looking up.

Lance sunk down beside me, “Only my father would know that.”

“It is a pity he is not here to help. Do you think that if he were still alive you would have never become Priest?”

Lance shook his head, “His death was inevitable. Fate could not be avoided… It was all planned out. I was part of that plan, the second Priest. My father, I believe, did not want to live forever. After a while you grow weary of it. That is one reason why he may have sired me and blessed me with his powers.”

“How do you suddenly know so much?”

“In truth, I don’t. I only assume, I do have many theories though. That is one of them. Truthfully I do hear ancient words, whispered through the wind and trees of long forgotten places. I have understood one or two, here and there and have pieced them together. Though most are so ancient, their meaning cannot exactly be defined.” Lance suddenly changed the subject, “Did I ever tell you of my childhood?”

“Only a little. You told me of my mother handing me off to you. You were but a boy were you not?”

He laughed, “Oh no! Do you not remember? I am over a century old. I do recall telling you so.” He took my hand in his and caressed it gently, “I was to become a priest… not the Priest but the priests that helped lead elves. I did not want it, instead I wanted to roam and be free. I was there the day fire rained down from the sky. I tumbled to the opposite side of the hill you came over today, and was saved from certain death. Nothing remained when the fire had finished its duty. There had been rumors of war with the humans and so I assumed the humans were responsible for the fire. I lived the first hundred years of my life believing it. Then I met your mother and she persuaded me otherwise. That was before the fear overtook her and obliged her to flee. She was the brave one who told me legends of the first Priest and of Hurricane. She told me there was something rare about me, something that would become power. She introduced me to Hannah who, after your mother left, kept very silent about the legends and stories of old. Now I know why.” He raised his eyes to mine, “The name of Priest is very powerful, it ignites the power inside of Priest. Hannah knew I was He and she knew that the more often the name Priest was spoken the more my power inside would grow. She tried to protect me from the overwhelming power until it was time… until Hurricane once again came to threaten the world.

“She also knew that you would be the one to stir the smoldering flame. Hurricane must have known your mother and must have loved her in a way for he fell for you the moment he laid eyes on you. Because of you the power inside of me reached the point where it could not be hidden anymore, because of you Hurricane has loathed me, because of you our rivalry has reached its vantage point, because of you the world has been removed of its blindness, because of you we will win.”

I shook my head, “How can you possibly win simply because of me?”

“You fanned the flames, war is inevitable, and soon you shall be the one to douse the flames and smolder every last ember. You see, I am not the real power here, you are. That is the reason my father did not win his war against Hurricane, because he was not patient enough to wait for you.”

I made a face, “You mean that if your father had lived he would have been in love with me? I would be in the same situation with him as I am with you?”

Lance laughed, “I am very glad he did not take you for himself.”

“That is awful!”

“Not entirely. I am more my father then anyone ever realized. Sometimes I wonder if I really am his son or if I am actually him.”

I gasped at this absurd statement, “Do not be foolish! That is impossible!”

“Is it now?”

“How?” I whispered in amazement.

“Reincarnation spells, perhaps. I know not. I only hope one day it shall all be clear. But that does mean I have been waiting thousands of years for you.” Then he let out a soft chuckle, “And I nearly killed you. That would have sealed the fate of the world if you hadn’t kissed me.”

I was in shock, there was so much I had not known and so much to still be revealed. What did Hurricane know of my mother? Was Lance really the son of Priest or did Priest never have a son and Lance was just the reincarnation of him? I felt overwhelmed by it all. But the most overwhelming thing of it all was that the world depended on me. It sickened me. I did not want the responsibility.

Sabir watched me intently, “You thought you had lost all importance. So much for that. You are more important then we ever knew. Willow, help Lance, we need you to win this.”

“It seems the only way for me to help is by staying safe.”

“Ask him if there is more.”

“Is there?”

“If there is, it is Lance’s to tell.”

I turned away from Sabir’s burning eyes, “Lance, is there more that I can do aside from staying safe? I know in your eyes it would be more then helpful, but for me, I feel useless. I need to do something aside from sitting and waiting the war out.”

“Of course…” Lance said thoughtfully, “You could help with the injured. We will be in need of as many hands as we can get.”

“That will have to suffice. I think I shall be content with that.”

“Willow, there is something else…” He looked at me uncertainly, “My life flows through you Willow, the stronger you are, the stronger I am. You are able to provide me with strength, with power. Together, you see, we are indestructible and powerful, apart, we are fragile, broken,” he smiled softly, cupping my cheek in his hand, “Lives with no purpose, is what we are apart.” He drew back and observed me coolly. His gaze searched mine for what seemed like ages. Finally he said, “I will never let you go again.” And with that he stood and left.

The room felt strangely cold with him gone. Sabir gazed at me approvingly, “I am proud of you Willow. At last you are on the right path.”

Suddenly Wiltar’s poem came to mind, “Sabir, Wiltar told me that the only way to end my strife would be through the death of another. How can that end my strife? It is as though that statement is contradicting itself unless Hurricane is the one who shall die. But something inside of me tells me it is not. I am so afraid. But Wiltar also said I shall be Queen, and a mighty victor shall see my true heart. The only mighty victor I can think of is Priest. So he mustn’t be the one to die.”

“Tell me, how would Wiltar know such a thing?”

“He had special gifts, he can see the future in some ways. He does not see everything though.”

“I do not know how to comfort you Willow, for I fear you have a right to be afraid. Those riddles always have a way of making you feel safe in some respect and then turning back and biting you. Be prepared.”

Sabir nudged me awake at daybreak saying, “Tashina and Baldwin shall wish to see you before you start the day’s activities.”

“The day’s activities?” I asked uncertain of what those were.

“Training, making weapons, sending out spies, taking in the news from other spies, learning strategy, sending out small forces to weaken Hurricane… I am sure Priest will want you to accompany him with these tasks. He prefers to have many opinions to choose from.”

I grunted and dressed quickly throwing my hair into a quick braid, not caring how I looked. I felt no need to impress anyone. I stepped through my tent flap and out into the world glowing with the morning sun. The dew sparkled pleasantly on the grass and I smiled at the beauty of it. With so much darkness in the world, it was nice to remember that there were still pure and beautiful things. I looked around unsure of where to go.

Sabir sensed my confusion and said, “Follow me. Tashina and Baldwin are this way.” As we walked he watched my closely, “You do not seem to be excited to see them.”

I frowned and realized that I felt no emotion at that moment, “I really do not know what is wrong with me. In some ways, I do not wish to see them for the shame of what I have done. I am nervous, that is all.”

Tashina and Baldwin were thrilled to see me, though not surprised because they had heard, in a roundabout way, of my arrival. Sabir recounted my long story for me saving me the weariness of telling it again. My guardians were both far more forgiving then I deserved. After we had spent over two hours talking Baldwin said regretfully, “Willow, we must continue on with our duties, and you must as well. We shall come to your tent tonight and we shall talk more.”

As I left I felt as though something were drastically different about my relationship with Tashina and Baldwin. I did not depend on them as I used to. I still loved them dearly and felt regret from being away for so long, maybe being apart for such a length of time had weakened our friendship. I sighed a prayer of thanks that Sabir did not feel so distant. Even though Sabir had felt the worst of my betrayal, he was still the most loyal and loving.

I was surprised as I walked through the tent village to find many children running around playing. I had thought of this place as war headquarters, but I recalled to myself that the few that escaped Hurricane’s wrath had no where else to go.

The many bustling people were not so busy that they did could not take time to stare at me. I kept my chin tilted up and eyes focused directly in front of me. I was not going to be daunted by judging, loathing eyes. Deep inside I felt like running, like cowering, but my pride did not allow me act humbly. My proud walk through the tent village probably only made their opinion of me lower another notch. Their eyes followed me all the way to Lance’s tent.

Before I could go in, Lance stepped out dauntingly. His eyes flashed around at all the people who were staring rudely at me. A dark fire was flickering in their depths. Immediately all the eyes turned away. Lance clenched his fists at his side, “Do not judge what you have no knowledge of.” He said addressing the people darkly. I saw many shudders in the crowd. It was no wonder they feared him, I thought, he looks like he could kill them all with one sweep of his arm.

Lance turned to me, “Welcome, Willow.” The dark fires were gone from his eyes and he smiled charmingly. He guided me into the tent and seated me by a table, “The battle field has been decided, we shall fight on the plains of Renagaad. Much of our strategy has been decided. The horses and riders shall go in first like usual and with them the wolves, cats and other swift animals, then shall come the footmen. We have reached the Forest Wanderers.” He looked up at me, “Do you remember Bayanai?” I smiled in remembrance at her fierce fights with the Palace Cook. I never did find out what had made them hate each other so. Lance continued, “They shall attack the Wind Being army from behind, coming from the forest of Defborn, where Wiltar took care of you.” He said pointing at the place on the map, “King Pashad needs to be contacted…”

I gasped, “King?”

Lance made a face, “Yes, and Princess Stephanie is now Queen. She has written, you know. We kept her letters for you, although that is for later. Now, as I was saying King Pashad needs to be contacted. We shall send out a party for that tomorrow.”

“May I go?” I burst out.

Lance gave me a look of horror, “No! How dare you think of such a thing! It is terribly dangerous business leaving this valley.”

I saw the stubborn look in his eyes and knew I could not argue. But I was stubborn too and I would find a way to go along. Lance looked at me for a moment as though he noticed the glint of determination in my eyes. But he dropped his knowing gaze and went back to talking, “We need every able body possible. Hannah has just returned today with a few Wind Beings who will fight for us and Merlin set out last night with Bavol to gather the forgotten villages who dwell amongst these mountains. There is still no word from the Dwarves and I am beginning to worry about whether Hurricane has put them under his spell already. I do recall that in past days they would easily be put under such spells and it would be the most painful job to rid them of it,” He glanced furtively at me, “as you well know.”

I grimaced but tried to give a smile to disguise it. Lance was not fooled so easily, his hand rested on mine, “It had to be done… though I’m sure I would have much rather left you to die then to see you suffer. You insisted,” he smiled painfully, “and thank Heaven above that you did, or else we would have no chance of winning this war.”

Suddenly Shamuth came bursting into the room, “We have our party ready for the trek tomorrow. Sabir insists on coming, I told him we do not need him, but in truth he would be of great use…” He paused glancing at me awkwardly, “I was afraid it would be a burden to Willow here.”

I snickered involuntarily, since when did Shamuth care what burdened me and what did not. A purple hue came to Shamuth’s black cheeks. His eyes darkened defensively and he opened his mouth to shower insults and angry threats on me. Lance spoke up quickly, scolding me with his eyes, “It was I who told my men to keep your best interests in mind.”

I snorted, “What? Lance, you treat me as though I am fragile! Let Sabir decide for himself, and as for myself, I would like to go along. I am not so helpless as I used to be, in fact I may be a better fighter the Shamuth himself.” I said haughtily giving Shamuth a daring grin.

Shamuth’s fists clenched, “You think far too highly of yourself Willow. You must recall that I have been a warrior for ages before you.”

“Can you not recognize a joke?” I said with amusement twinkling in my eyes. Shamuth fumed and turned to walk stiffly from the tent. I laughed and I felt Lance’s hand smack me on the side of my head. My laughing stopped and I turned to challenge him.
He spoke before I could, “You are entirely heartless, humiliating Shamuth as you did even after he went out of his way to be kind to you. He has been trying desperately to be friends to you and you are not helping the cause.”

I rolled my eyes, “It was only a jest.” I mumbled like a child being scolded. I changed the subject, “Lance, you must let me go along. I wish to prove myself. I hate the gazes I get from every man, women and child in this place. How shall I ever gain their respect if I stay hidden away from the enemy?”

“No, you will not go along. You must regain your respect in some other way.” Lance said stubbornly.

“You cannot make me stay here and endure public humiliation. I will not be known in history as the girl who was the ultimate betrayer and was spared because of Lance’s infinite mercy and rare love for her. I will be known as the betrayer who made right what she did wrong and put every effort into the defeat of Hurricane.”

I took hold of Lance’s hand and leaned forward intently, “Do not deny me the chance for renewal.”

Lance’s eyes dropped to my lips for a second. The second seemed like eternity and I swore he was going to kiss me. But his eyes flashed back up to my eyes and he flushed, “As you wish, Willow.” He said suddenly avoiding my gaze, “Although you do put the outcome of the war at great risk.”

I scoffed at him, “I am agile and quick, I shall not die on this mission.”

“You underestimate the danger. Be on guard at all times; do not take for granted the powers of the Wind Beings.”

I waited with great anticipation till the next day. When Shamuth learned of my accompanying him and his party, he had a fit of rage and nearly killed me. But as I had told Lance, I was agile and quick and able to avoid all the deadly blows. Shamuth cursed and said the dirtiest string of words I had ever heard. Lance heard the commotion and burst from his tent. He shouted at Shamuth as I dodged another swing from the powerful thick black arms, “Shamuth! Refrain yourself!”
But Shamuth would not stop. He barely missed me with another deadly swing. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Lance’s appearance changing and when my eyes flickered to his, they were blank. He whispered something. The words were barely heard at first but then they echoed and increased their volume and power. Suddenly a tree branch came to life and swung around hitting Shamuth on the back of his head with a satisfying thunk. Shamuth toppled forward.
I had to stifle a laugh, for I had never seen Shamuth taken so unaware. He was able to usually sense such things. Shamuth struggled to get up but some invisible force was holding him down. When Shamuth accepted that he could not hurt me he turned to Lance and shouted harsh things such as, “Why does she always get what she wants? Can you never say no to her?”

Those questions stung Lance, I could tell. He suppressed his anger and walked away from the onslaught of bitter words. I felt terribly regretful after this whole incident and nearly changed my mind but Shamuth kindled my determination by taking me by the shoulders, shaking me and saying, “You will not survive a day out there. Wind Beings are not so innocent and kind hearted when there is war waging. They are everywhere, and they shall kill without a second thought.”

Just when I felt I could bear Shamuth’s burning gaze no longer, Sabir came to my rescue. He nipped Shamuth on the heel just enough so that it would be painful to the great man. Shamuth released me and cursing under his breath but did not try to get revenge. Instead he stalked away angrily.

Sabir’s glinting eyes met mine, “I am proud of you for wanting to be helpful… But maybe…”

“Don’t start. I will not change my mind. The only way to prove myself is by going on this mission. I will not settle for something easy and light, I will only settle for that which can test me.”

“If you insist…”

“I do. Nothing anyone says can change my mind.”

“Then we leave in two hours.”

And in two hours I was ready and waiting with the rest of the party. The party consisted of Shamuth, Sabir, me, and two other strangers by the names of Alastor and Ian. I was excited to get out and once again have some action in my life. It seemed as though I had gotten far too used to it.

We moved as fast as we possibly could. We jogged for hours on end with few breaks. I was fit, very fit, but no one could match the lengthy strides of Shamuth’s long legs. We traveled day and night through the mountains with very little rest. Sabir and my determination kept me going. Alastor and Ian were simple humans and had to ride horses in order to keep up. Shamuth, Sabir and I would scout the way to make sure it was safe and then Alastor and Ian would come behind us. It was a difficult trail for their horses and I could tell that Shamuth wished he could simply get rid of the men, they were slowing us down.

We encountered very little danger in the mountains; few Wind Beings would be seen in these parts. They did not like closed spaces, mainly because their life source came from freedom and open air. Mountains had far too many crevasses and canyons and caves. Once we were done the cold rocky trek through the mountains, we rid ourselves of our warm outer garments and hid them for when we came back.

We picked up speed as we moved through the forest of Defborn. Alastor and Ian took the route around the forest and claimed they would meet with us on the other side, Sabir went with them. Meanwhile, Shamuth and I decided to make a visit to Wiltar. I told Shamuth of Wiltar’s many skills and Shamuth was convinced that Wiltar was the perfect man to help train an army. I truly believe Shamuth thought this because he was amazed by the change in me. If Wiltar could train me, he could train anyone.

I was the fastest now, knowing the forest the best out of the two of us. I took the lead, proud to show off my skill in this area. I caught Shamuth’s curious, scrutinizing gaze multiple times. He was impressed, I could see it.

As we jogged through the forest I took out my horn and blew it. It would save us the heinous task of finding Wiltar’s home. I knew the general path, but during my training I always seemed to miss it by a few meters. Wiltar had hid it well.

Night descended, and the path became more difficult to find. Shamuth had well tuned eyes that were meant for darkness so I had to give over the directions and clues to him. I felt slightly disappointed when I did so.

Finally we stopped to take a break. I was confused as to why Wiltar had not come yet. It was not like him to take so long. He would have been here within seconds if something was not holding him back. I felt fear settle in my stomach.

“Why is he not here yet? You blew that enchanted horn… I thought you said he would be here within moments.”

“Yes…” I said softly, “He usually is.”

Shamuth’s eyes glinted in the rays of moonlight that found their way through the forest canopy, “Are you saying something is holding him up?”

“That could very well be.”

Shamuth gazed at me for a moment, “I’ll be right back.” And before I could say anything he disappeared silently into the forest. I sat beside our small fire and tried to warm my hands. I heard the snap of a twig and I looked up. Wiltar stood across the fire from me and watched me.

I leaped to my feet, “Wiltar! Where were you? I blew my horn hours ago.”

Wiltar’s brow furrowed together, “What is that beast that thou hast brought?”

“What? Shamuth? Why, he’s harmless!” I paused, “Well, not entirely, at least, he has no intention to kill you.”

Wiltar peered into the forest behind me, “That beast has every intention to kill me.” He frowned deeply, “Tell him I came and I wish to have nothing to do with him.”

“Why?” I asked, sensing there was some deep conflict in this area.

Wiltar opened his mouth to speak but he did not get the chance to, Shamuth came soaring in from the side with a vicious, deadly gleam in his eyes and collided with Wiltar. I screamed, “Shamuth! What do you think you’re doing?!” Fear erupted inside of me, Wiltar was no match for Shamuth… nobody was. I unsheathed my dagger and leapt over the fire. I rushed towards the pair of bodies on the ground. Shamuth’s claws were retracted and ready to strike. I sliced my knife into Shamuth’s arm, he seemed not to notice. He smacked me away as he picked Wiltar up by the throat and pinned him to a tree. Wiltar struggled and kicked.

I picked myself up and screamed at Shamuth, “Stop! You cannot kill him!” I ignored my bleeding cheek and ringing ear, and rushed to Wiltar’s aid. I did not know what to do, Shamuth would not listen to me and I could not possibly hurt him. I tried to make him look at me but his flaming eyes were only on Wiltar, “Shamuth!” I cried, my voice raw with emotion. Wiltar’s face was turning purple, I had to do something.

I threw my full weight against him to try to throw him off balance; instead I was the one who went flying backwards. I quickly stood again and slipped in between the small space between Shamuth and Wiltar. Shamuth’s eyes barely flickered to mine. My fear made me desperate so I did the last thing in the world that I wanted to do. I kissed Shamuth. Thankfully he was bent over so that I could reach him, but I threw my arms around his neck and kissed him. I just tried to imagine it was Lance.
Shamuth who never saw it coming, dropped Wiltar, and froze. Then he registered what was happening and proceeded to try desperately to rid himself of me. My hold on him was as tight as a python wrapped around its prey, giving Wiltar time to run. Shamuth stumbled backwards, he was standing tall now, so my feet were dangling off the ground and my grip was harder to maintain. His hands took hold of my arms and he pried me loose. I fell backwards onto the ground, I was just thankful that he hadn’t ripped my arms off.

Shamuth was staring at me with a horror stricken face. I had to laugh, partly because I was relieved that Wiltar got away and partly because Shamuth’s face was so funny. It was only a soft chuckle but it made Shamuth go insane. His fists clenched and unclenched, his eyes flashed with burning rage. I inched away from him, “Come on, it wasn’t that bad, was it?” Immediately I regretted my words. Shamuth was barely containing himself, provoking him was the wrong idea, “I’m sorry.” I said quickly, “I just couldn’t let you kill him. He’s the closest thing I have to family.”

Shamuth took a menacing step towards me and then stopped. He took a deep breath and let it out very slowly, “If you weren’t essential to this war, you would be dead or dying by now.” He said through clenched teeth.

I stood slowly, still very cautious, “Why did you try to kill Wiltar?”

Shamuth did not meet my gaze, “You have no right to know.”
“Excuse me? You just nearly killed one of my best friends… I think I do have a right.”
Shamuth shot me a murderous look, “He killed my girl.” He said softly and then sunk into a sitting position, as though he had no more strength to stand.

My mouth dropped open, “No! It must have been an accident! Wiltar would never do such a thing.”

“It does not matter if it was an accident, he still killed her.”

I sighed with relief, I knew there was not an evil bone in Wiltar, there was no way he could have killed anyone on purpose.

I walked slowly over to Shamuth and placed my hand on his arm, “I did not know you were married. What happened to your wife?”

Shamuth shook my hand off his arm and laughed bitterly, “Wife? Oh you cannot actually believe me to be the marrying type. No, she was a child, but not of my own blood. She was an elf, with flaming red hair and green eyes. A green pair of eyes that were very similar to yours.” He glowered at the fire, “Wiltar accidentally knocked her into a frozen river when he was seventeen and she was four. She was swept away by the current and although I jumped in after her and retrieved her, her heart had already stopped from the cold. That was why Wiltar ran, and hid in this forest… to hide from me. I will never forgive him.” He said the last sentence with a viciousness that made me want to cower away. He gnashed his teeth like a wild animal, “I will get my revenge.”

We left the forest in low spirits, neither of us talking to each other. When we met up with the rest of the group, Sabir growled dangerously at Shamuth and then said telepathically, “Didn’t see that one coming did you?”

I shook my head angrily, “Shamuth is far more unpredictable and dangerous then I would have ever guessed. He cannot ever be trusted.” I shuddered and quickly changed my focus, “Did you encounter any problems?”

“A Wind Maiden tried to kill us but I succeeded in killing her instead. Personally, Alastor and Ian seem very useless to me. Why are they along anyways? They have no skill in fighting and are just slowing us down.”

“Ask Shamuth.”

Sabir gave me an exasperated look, “I can’t. You know I can only talk to you, my guardian, and I can talk to people of elvish decent. That is all.”

“Right.”

We continued on our journey with very little disturbance until we came to the roads to the City of Withalm. I insisted on staying in the forest but Alastor presented the problem of the horses to me. So we left the horses and continued without them, making the travelling much, much slower.

Then it happened. Death descended far too silently and quickly for us to react. It was the darkest night we had encountered yet. Thick clouds and fog hid from us the light of the moon and stars. The forest was deathly quiet and even the sound of our breathing could be heard as we moved stealthily through the underbrush. A cold chilly wind crept up on us from behind, creating on the slightest stir in the leaves. Our minds, groggy from many night without sleep did not notice until our muscles had begun to cramp from the icy breeze that enveloped us. Shamuth was the first to realize what was happening but before he could react. Alastor was down at our heels and the Wind Beings were descending upon me.
I felt the icy blade press against my throat and one more twitch of the wrist would have sent me to my death but Shamuth was my savior. He moved at the speed of light and sliced off the Wind Beings hand. He quickly finished the Being off and then moved on to his next opponent.
The knife of the Wind Being fell to my feet and I bent to retrieve it just as I heard the ‘whoosh’ of a blade passing over my head. The sound shocked me into action. I did not look to see where the Wind Being was but instead I quickly rolled to the left and just in time too, a Wind Being’s blade embedded itself in the ground. I was on my feet and staring at the attacking Wind Being in the eyes.
I recognized her as one of Hannah’s close friends. Her flowing white hair was dancing around her pale translucent face as her trembling lips parted and that sweet soprano uttered, “Willow… I’m sorry” She stabbed towards me but I twisted to the side and sliced at her outstretched arm with the knife I had retrieved. Purple blood seeped from the deep gash and I felt my stomach clench in pity and compassion. I did not stop though, I ducked underneath another slice and twirled to the back of the Being slicing her throat. She drifted from my arms and faded gruesomely into nothing.
I looked around me to see the both Alastor and Ian lay dead on the mossy grass of the forest. The fog swirled around their deathly pale faces ushering a shiver from within me. Shamuth watched me with a haughty expression on his face, he had seen my fear. I turned from him and knelt next to Sabir, “Did we kill them all?”
“Yes.” Sabir replied, “There were five… none escaped. Although I do wish we would have sensed them sooner. It’s a pity, that…” He said nodding towards the dead bodies.
I sighed, “It is a pity.” I repeated.

“Well I think that was entirely pointless to have them along,” Said Shamuth angrily.

I shook my head in disbelief, “Have you not an ounce of compassion within that stone cold heart of yours? We must show our respects and bury them.”

Shamuth groaned and rolled his eyes at me. He grumbled to himself as he went and retrieved the bodies from the open road. We decided to burn the bodies for time’s sake. No prayers were said and no words of condolence were mentioned. We had no time for such commodities, especially since while we were finishing and lighting the fire to burn the bodies, more Wind Beings came. They came with the fury of a swirling tornado, throwing bursts of fire at us. It seemed our funeral fire was being used against us.
We, of course, were not so simple as to have been taken severely advantage of, so we fought back. Truthfully, I hardly did a thing. Hannah was not exaggerating when she mentioned Shamuth’s ability to fight. I had never seen anything like it. He was a blur of black and white and all the Wind Beings were dead within minutes, with minor help from Sabir. I could not help but keep a fair distance between myself and Shamuth. Death would be sweet and quick if it were by him. If I ever needed to die, I’d ask him to do it and I suspected he would gladly accomplish it.

The travelling took a much quicker pace now that the humans were gone. We made it to Withalm by the next morning. Getting into the city was no easy task especially with Wind Beings guarding nearly every inch of the wall. Although the inside of the city was not patrolled because it was not yet won, there was little the humans could do to avoid the siege.

I knelt down beside Shamuth in the underbrush on the very edge of the forest, “What shall we do? There is no hope of getting within those walls without being seen.”

Shamuth flashed his white sharp teeth, “Patience… We shall observe and then when we see fit… we shall strike.”

“Well,” I said, “I do not think we shall be able get in through the front of the city. We must move around to the back and look for an opening there.”

Shamuth nodded, surprisingly compliant, and we left half an hour later. The back of the city was no different. I saw no way in except to fight our way in. Shamuth seemed frustrated and I saw his fist clench and unclench multiple times. He had such a short and fiery temper.

“Shamuth,” I said hesitantly, “do you know of the Forest Wanderers?”

Shamuth stiffened, “Yes.”

I hesitated in confusion, “Do you not like them?”

Shamuth let out a disbelieving laugh, “Not the slightest. They pride themselves in sneaking around the forest and scaring people. They are vagrants, rude and shallow.”

“Sound familiar?” I asked icily.

Shamuth shot me a terrible glare and took a dangerous step towards me, “You try my patience Willow. You have no idea how many times I have come very near to killing you.” He towered over me inching closer and closer. I took a step back and bumped into a tree. Shamuth’s gaze was black fire, his hands slipped around my neck and his thumbs pressed roughly against my throat, “I could break you so very easily. But I won’t because the world depends on you for some ridiculous reason.” His white teeth flashed, “I am very near to feeling hatred towards you.” His face was inches away from mine. The fear I felt was worse than any fear I’d ever felt before.

My voice shook as I spoke, “Let me go Shamuth.”

His hands shook in anger but he withdrew them from my neck.

I took a deep breath and clutched the tree as I tried to steady my trembling legs, “Shamuth, we need to find the Forest Wanderers they’ll know what to do.”

Shamuth turned to me but he looked beyond me as a lifeless smile spread over his face, “Speaking of the devil.”

I turned around and peeked around the tree that was keeping me from falling to the ground. There stood Bayanai her wild blond curls framed her distraught angular face, “Hello.” She said her eyes never leaving Shamuth’s face, “Shamuth.” When she said his name it was like it was a curse, “You threatened Willow. Lance will hear of this.”

Shamuth’s eyes flashed their black fire, “Not if I kill you.”

Suddenly out of every bush stepped a Wanderer. I looked up at the tree branches and saw them crouched there ready to pounce. I knew if there was a fight many of the Wanderers would die. I quickly stepped forward, “Bayanai, we need your help. We cannot get into the city.”

Bayanai’s eyes flashed to mine and a lovely smile lightened her face, “A simple distraction would do.” She said softly, “We shall attack the Wind Beings and while they are focused on us you shall climb…” She paused and cast a glance at Shamuth’s long muscular legs, “or jump over the wall.”

Shamuth grinned, “Brilliant.”

I wanted to slap him, “Only brilliant because it is putting their lives at risk! You are insufferable!”

Bayanai was suddenly beside me and her hand was on my shoulder, “We are much better at fighting then you presume. Trust me.” Then she turned to Shamuth, “I just remembered that instead of climbing over the wall you can use a secret entrance which leads to a tunnel which leads to the library of the Palace.” Her eyes flickered to mine and held my gaze, “It was the same one we used many years ago to hide from Hurricane. I do believe he has forgotten about it or did not explore it thoroughly enough to realize it lead outside of the city.”

I opened my mouth to protest but the look she and every other human in the forest gave me silenced me and I let them proceed with their plans.

Of course every detail worked out just as Bayanai said. The distraction worked like magic and Shamuth and I were able to sneak into the city through the secret door that Bayanai had used to sneak into the Palace to attempt to kill the cook, a long abandoned scheme.
Sabir waited in the forest for us to return. He was not too happy with this part of the plan but we convinced him that he would not be able to accomplish the steep climb into the library. We also needed him for telepathic communication to tell us when it was clear to come out of the city.

I feared being alone with Shamuth, and walking so close to him inside the dark tunnel was a thoroughly terrifying experience. His gaze never fell on me and he did not speak unless spoken to. Resentment hung in the air with a tension that was fraying at both our self-control. I itched with the desire to scream and run and I could sense that Shamuth itched with the desire to wring my throat.

Finally we came to the end of the tunnel. Shamuth pushed with ease on the secret door and it slide open with a loud grinding noise. We stepped into the kitchen. The sudden change in lighting shocked me. I squinted against the light streaming through the open window above the large counter. Memories of years before fogged up my gaze. I sighed as I remembered the innocence of those past years. The seemingly vital problems of those years compared to my problems now, were fleeting and insignificant. So much had changed. Now I had the weight of the world on my shoulders… almost literally.

We exited the kitchen and headed for the throne room where we sure to find someone to direct us to the king. As we walked through the halls servants and maids dropped their jaws at the sight of Shamuth. I was hardly noticed as their eyes took in the monstrous being beside me. The awe and fear in their eyes must have masked my own. The more time I spent with Shamuth the more in awe I was of him. His eyes held a fathomless mystery and every move was like a lethal cat, muscles rippling underneath the smooth black skin. He was horrible yet beautiful. I could not help but wonder what was in his soul. Was it as black as his skin? Did he even have a soul? I trembled involuntarily.
Shamuth cast a dark glance over his shoulder and narrowed his eyes at my observant state. The dark abyss of his eyes held a vicious fire that could have burned holes through my head if I had not looked away.
We came to the grand doors of the throne room and Shamuth pushed through. Sitting on the throne was King Pashad. I was surprised to see him there; the throne room was mainly used for public audiences, not for brooding. The library was made for that.
Pashad did not notice us come in. His chin was propped up on his hand and his eyes were thoughtful, his brow wrinkled in worry. I nearly froze in my tracks. He looked so different from when I last saw him, his cheeks were sunken in and the color had left his face. War had taken its toll on everyone. I forced myself to continue forward. I feared for him, for the world. But I shoved that fear to the back of my mind and brought forward determination to change the fate that was descending fast. I would save the people no matter how hard it was, no matter the pain. Hurricane would face his end by my hand.
Pashad looked up and saw Shamuth and I walking towards him. He leapt to his feet and drew his sword. A lot of good that will do, I thought bitterly. Every human was absolutely helpless in this war. There were powers they had never even imagined that could wipe them out with a single sweep of their arm.
I stepped forward hoping that Pashad would recognize me. My hope was in vain, his eyes only darkened further with a determination that I believed was to kill me. I spoke then, “King Pashad we come in peace.”
Pashad’s eyes narrowed but he did not lower his guarded stance.
I spoke as kindly as I could, “King Pashad… It is I, Willow… Your wife’s past handmaiden. I have been gone two years now and have come back to warn of what you fight against.”
Pashad’s eyes widened in recognition, “You mean the handmaiden that my wife has not ceased to mourn over?”
I nodded and he continued.
“How is it that one so simple as you knows better than I what I fight against?”
“Because I have known him, I have served him, I have been in his Palace and I have been a slave to his powers.”
Pashad’s mouth twitched, “And how is that supposed to convince me to trust you?”
“You have no choice my King. You do remember Lance, your minstrel and close friend?”
“Lance Regan? Whatever does he have to do with all of this?”
“He is no ordinary man, my King. He is Priest.”
At the mention of the name the whispers of ancient words enveloped us all. I staggered backwards and the sudden weight of his name. An unearthly chilled breeze swept through the room and extinguished the candles.
Pashad stared wide eyed at me through the sudden darkness, “What? What kind of black magic is this? He was a minstrel. He had no importance in the world!”
I bit back a flood of sharp words. I took a slow shuddering breath, “It seems that all those who had little importance have turned out to be the most important of all. Do not doubt my words. The truth will not be thwarted.”
Pashad lowered his sword and cast a nervous glance to Shamuth, “And this man?”
I kept my steady gaze focused on Pashad, “He is a creature you have never heard of and will never understand. He is on the good side, so to speak, and is a very lethal and vital weapon in this war. Without him we are sure to lose.”
Pashad sighed, “So be it. I am sure that if you came to kill me you would have accomplished that without a word. Now what is it that you have come to tell me?”
Shamuth stepped in, his dark tone made me jump, “There is to be a battle, Lance’s army against Hurricane’s. You are needed on that battle field with every man you can possibly spare. You will have no need to keep men here at the city, for every Wind Being and demon under Hurricane’s control will be there for the final battle. There is one thing that stands between Hurricane and ultimate control, and that is Priest. Mark my words when I say, we cannot lose.”

Arrangements were made. A messenger would be sent to tell King Pashad when the time was ripe to move his army.
Shamuth and I began our long journey back to the secluded mountains. We did not have any difficulty finding our way through the tunnels. Shamuth had been smart and left clues for us to find our way back, such as scratches on the brick walls from his nails. As we emerged from the tunnel we quickly covered it up. I glanced over to the place where Bayanai and her fellow Forest Wanderers had been fighting. I saw bodies and blood. Guilt washed over me, like usual, it was my fault. I hated death. I wanted to find a way to defeat it. But nobody could, not Hurricane, not Priest, and definitely not me.
As we sprinted through the open area to the protection of the forest a gust of wind nearly knocked me off my feet. Shamuth skidded to a halt. That did not stop him from coming nose to nose with a bewitching Wind Being. Her eyes were soulless and bent on one purpose, to kill us. Shamuth did not miss a beat. He grabbed the dagger attached to his thigh and slipped behind the Being slicing her throat. Then he grabbed my arm and yanked me from my confused daze. And I was dragged along the ground and into the forest. But Shamuth did not stop running he swung me up into his arms and ran. As he was running he said, “Grab hold of my neck.” So I did. With all my might I clung to him. He grabbed my waist and thrust me around his body and so that I was on his back not his front. He spun me around his neck and I landed awkwardly hip first on his back. Thump. He growled, “Put your clumsy legs around my waist.”
It was not an easy task to do. I was bouncing around trying desperately to keep my hold while trying to twist myself around to put my legs in the proper position. I could not help but wonder why he wouldn’t stop. But then I felt the chilly breeze I knew so well. The fear gave me determination. I twisted my body around as I bounced off his back, my arms still clinging to his neck. I was successful this time and finally settled comfortably in the proper position. As soon as I had my legs tightly wound as far around his thick waist as I could, Shamuth abandoned running on just his legs. He dropped down into the position of a feline cat. His claws retracted and he bounded through the forest twisting through trees and underbrush.
I dared to cast a glance behind us and saw the flash of white through the trees. I nearly kicked Shamuth’s sides like I would a horse, but before I acted irrationally Shamuth took a bounding leap across the river and shocked me back into my senses. Suddenly I remembered Sabir. I gasped and quickly called out telepathically, “Sabir? Where are you?”
The immediate calm reply was, “Right beside you Willow.”
I tore my eyes from the blurred trees and obstacles in front of us. My eyes searched frantically for the flash of orange amongst the forest greenery. Relief spread through me warming me when I saw him running beside Shamuth and I just off to our right. I smiled and quickly returned my gaze to the front of us.
Without warning a powerful gust of wind hit us from the side Shamuth barely maintained his powerful strides but he was not knocked over. I saw Sabir knocked off his paws and I gasped. Shamuth did not stop. “Sabir!” I cried.

“No need to fret Willow. I can out run that Wind Being any day.”

I saw the familiar flash of yellow over take us and I sighed in relief.

We ran for much longer through the deepest thickest parts of the forest, the places where it was hardest for Wind Beings to fly. The cool breeze did not strike us again and I suspected Hurricane had given up.
Shamuth slowed his run to a stop and then stood straight up. I, who was unable to unclench my trembling arms from Shamuth’s neck, dangled in mid-air. His strong fingers pried me loose and set me down on the ground. Sabir came to me and nuzzled my arm in a comforting gesture. I gave him my best effort of a smile. His burning eyes held mine, “Fret not, Hurricane would never have been able to catch us.”

I frowned, “Perhaps you were in no danger, but not many creatures can outrun the wind and I doubt Shamuth is one of them.”

“He knows their weaknesses and knows how to ward them off. Shamuth is the best protector next to Lance and I.”

“I suppose, but it seems Wind Beings are not the ones who I truly need to protect myself from, it’s Shamuth that threatens my life.” I gave Sabir a wry smile and turned to follow Shamuth who was already walking briskly through the forest. Whenever he passed under the sunlight that streamed through the branches of the trees, his sweat glistened and sparkled against his pitch black skin.

Shamuth glanced back at me and smirked when he saw me observing his back. His thick shoulder muscle twitched and then flexed, “Are you mesmerized?”

I quickly dropped my gaze and did not answer.

Shamuth let out a loud boisterous laugh, “Is it possible that you are shamed for once in your life? How amusing! I have never seen your face turn that shade of red. All other taunts and insults do not faze you, or at least you do not show it, but when you are caught gazing at me you blush.”

I stared at Shamuth in open mouth shock. I had never heard him laugh a sincere laugh. It had always been a mocking or bitter laugh.

Shamuth continued with a wide gleaming grin, “Are you sure you are in love with Lance and not me?” He laughed again. Then he stopped and turned to face me. Suddenly he struck the most ridiculous pose. He propped one hand on his hip and thrust out his leg in a very feminine way. But as he did it, every muscle under his night black skin rippled. His dark eyes met mine from under his bushy white eyebrows in a melting but serious gaze.
My jaw, which was already hanging open, dropped to the ground. I heard the deep rumble of laughter coming from Sabir’s chest to my left.
Shamuth held his pose for a few moments but then I saw the corners of his serious mouth twitch and suddenly peels of rich deep laughter erupted from his body. He clutched his stomach and bent over shaking.
I swore to myself that I was dreaming. Never had Shamuth so much as given me a real smile. It had to be someone else, Shamuth was harsh, severe, never cracking a smile and now he was laughing so hard tears were escaping from his eyes. I heard Sabir laughing beside me too. But I could not laugh, I was in complete shock.
Finally Shamuth controlled his laughter and walked over to me and gently closed my open mouth. He took me by the wrist and led me through the forest all the while I pondered what had just happened.

My relationship with Shamuth changed from that day forward. I do not pretend to understand what had happened. It was a sudden and unpredictable change that left me confused every time I tried to figure it out.
Shamuth and I were soon the best of friends. I was one of the few that could make him laugh for years and years afterwards. He became like my brother, watching out for me but getting annoyed and angry with me just as any other brother would. I thanked heaven for the change and the rare friendship it gave me.
We made it back to camp but Lance was not there to greet us. He had been away for three days was what we heard from the people. They did not know where he went or why he went. He simply said, “I am going away for a little bit, but I shall be back soon.” And then he walked with long strides over the hill and disappeared. I wondered if he was mustering all the power he could for the war. If so, he could use me, I thought. So with the help of Shamuth we tried to track him down.
We tried to no avail for two days and I was growing anxious. Then one night as I was fast asleep, I awoke to the sound of a deep tremulous voice speaking to me softly, “Willow… Willow… awaken.” I opened my eyes to the darkness and the wonderful feeling peace and contentment. His very presence could dash every fear I had away.
“Lance?” I asked.
“My dearest Willow,” He murmured as he lifted me into his arms, “Come with me.” He carried me out of my tent into the chill of the night. I struggled to get down, not liking the feeling of helplessness but his arms tightened around me, “Keep still.”
He carried me out of camp and over through the opening to the valley. He walked a few steps and set me down. The moon was full and cast an eerie glow across Lance’s face. He looked like a phantom, a ghost or a demon. I felt a sudden overwhelming joy at seeing him again but I did not show it, for I never was one to show my emotions easily, “You have been absent.”
I could see his eyes darken slightly, “Recruiting.” He said simply in a dull voice.
A long silence followed, and we stared at each other, no, we glared at each other. I was not entirely sure why but I could feel his anger and it made my heartbeat quicken. And because he was angry at me, I felt angry at him and was ready to become defensive. Finally Lance shifted his feet and he spoke, his voice was hard, not soft like it when he awakened me, “You kissed Shamuth.”
I was taken aback. I had almost completely forgotten about the kiss, “How did you know?”
Lance’s eyes darkened even more and he took a menacing step towards me, “Shamuth told me. He felt it was right to tell me.” He clenched his jaw and looked away, “Why did you not tell me?”
I gaped, “Pardon me?” Lance was acting childish, “I have not even seen you for the past week since I have returned. And besides,” I said with a dismissive wave of my hand, “I had completely forgotten until you mentioned it.”
I could tell I had not appeased Lance at all. I had only made him embarrassed and annoyed, “But you kissed him. Why did you kiss him?”
“Did he not tell you the whole story?” I asked with a twinge of shame, “I did it to save Wiltar.”
Lance’s burning gaze did not let up, “He told me.” He took me by the shoulders, “You could have chosen any other method to distract him but you chose to kiss him. Did you not think of me? Of how this would affect me?”
I removed his hands from my shoulders and took a step back, “I could not think of any other method… I tried everything I could possibly think of in those vital moments. You are cruel to be so selfish. I was saving Wiltar’s life. And since when am I bound to you?”
Lance’s fire died and his arms went limp, “So you do not deny it?”
“Deny what?” I said furiously
Lance turned his back on me, “You feel for him.”

He said it as though he truly believed it and I nearly burst into laughter at the very thought of me feeling anything romantic for Shamuth but then I felt angry, annoyed that Lance should think such of me. I was tempted to simply walk away but instead I said, “I am void of romantic feelings for him. I had to imagine it was you in order to do it.”

Lance’s taunt stance relaxed and he turned to me, his eyes still suspicious.

I glared at him, “Trust me, or do not trust me, I speak the truth.”

Lance nodded and turned and walked into the forest. I snorted in disgust and went back the camp. That was not what I had expected. But so be it, Lance was jealous. He would have to get over it soon.

The day of the battle was approaching fast. I could feel the fear, the anticipation, the dread, and the excitement in the air. It made me shiver and I prayed silently that there would be a victory that would not cost too many lives.
Lance hardly had a moment to spare for me. Although, whenever I did pass by, his eyes followed me. The predicament of the kiss seemed to have been forgotten for there was nothing hostile in his eyes, just simple unadulterated love.
I feared that love. I had always feared that love. I never deserved it but even before I fell for Hurricane’s charms I had been afraid of it. It was the first serious love I had ever known. During my childhood I never thought I could fall in love, I would simply marry for the sake of having someone to take care of me. Love was a foreign concept to me and when Lance fell in love with me, I did not even truly want it. I remember when he proposed to me, I felt happiness but also dread.
I was singular in my ways and independent. Lance saw into my soul and I hated that and he made me feel dependent on him. I wanted my fears and insecurities to be mine and mine alone. I did not want others to see where I was weak. But despite all the fear I felt for Lance’s love, I could not deny that I loved him back.
But I think I loved him differently. I did not love him with passion and fervor like most people love, I loved him with a steady confident love. Passion comes and goes like a fleeting wind. I felt passion for Hurricane, but for Lance I felt a calm steady flow of peace and acceptance. He was the man I could grow old with and spend every waking moment trying to know his soul intimately.
He was patient, waiting for me even after I betrayed him. He loved me so much that he put me, the person he loved most in the world, through unbearable pain just so I could see clearly again. He has told me since that day that it was probably worse for him then it was for me.
The day before the battle I was trembling with fear. Every step felt weighted down, every second I felt over looming doom like a black cloud hovering in the sky waiting to unleash torrents of icicles and lashes of wind and lightning. There was so much at stake.
I forced one step in front of the other as we made our way from our safe haven and to the battle field where we would soon decide fate. I looked around for Lance but could not find him. Suddenly from behind a tree, a hand whipped out and grasped my wrist tightly. I turned to tell the person to unhand me but it was Lance. I prepared to glare at him but the look in his eyes stopped me. I was looking into his soul. There was fear burning there in his irises. My legs felt as though they were going to give way, I leaned against the tree for support. Lance placed both hands on either side of me, “Willow.” He said, “Your pain is my pain. Your blood is my blood. You are my lifeblood.” His words sounded frantic, “There is one thing I fear in this world… losing you. I could withstand the torments of hell if it meant you were safe.”
I dropped my gaze but his hand cupped my chin and tilted it upwards, “Look at me.” He whispered pleadingly, “I have one request.”
I met his eyes unwillingly, “yes?” I managed weakly.
His gaze searched mine for a moment and then he spoke, “Stay here. Keep out of danger’s grasp.”
I felt the tremble start from the bottom of my spin and make its way to my extremities. This was the one request I was hoping he would not make. I was going to refuse him but the raw emotion in his eyes made me understand. As long as I was out of danger’s way he would not fear, and he would fight without fear but with unfathomable power. I sighed in surrender, “I will do it.”
The relief flooded into Lance’s eyes and I felt relief wash over me as well. I had been more afraid of the battle then I had thought. Lance’s mouth twitched at the corners and he smiled. Then suddenly his lips were on mine and he was pressing against me with frightful urgency. Then he was gone, just like a breath of wind.
I took a deep shuddering breath and turned to walk back into the safe haven.

I sat in the opening of my tent staring at the sky. The dread inside of me made me want to scream. I could not sit back and wait patiently for this war to end. I had to be out there to fight, to save others. Dark clouds blotted out the dying sun and I heard the deep, distant, rumble of thunder echo across the expanse of dark sky. I shuddered as I heard the howl of Wind begin. The mournful sound made me tremble through and through.
The thunder suddenly boomed through the sky, no longer distant. It was as though Merlin was standing beside me roaring right in my ear. I jumped as lightning streaked like veins of fire across the sky. The war had begun.

I cursed under my breath as another roll of thunder vibrated the earth. I could only imagine Priest in all his glory with Merlin bounding into battle by his side. I thought of how beautifully demonic Hurricane must look. I imagined his white cloak swirling around him as his wind picked up, throwing mortal men out of his path. His violet eyes dart to and fro looking for something.
I frowned, this was not my imagination. Only then did I realize I was looking through Sabir’s eyes. He was running towards a ravenous monster. I fought to detach my sight from his, I did not want to see the blood and gore that would follow the attack. Finally my vision became my own again and I shook my head in an attempt to clear it.
Before me was a blurred silhouette of a man, a man I knew very well. I blinked twice, unbelieving. The man was Elisha. I stared at him in confusion, “Elisha? What are you doing here?”
The shadow of the storm made it hard to see his face but I thought I perceived something sinister there. As he spoke I knew this was no friendly visit, “Hello Willow.” His cold tone sent shivers down my spine, “I made correct judgments thinking you would stay away from the battle, you always were a coward.”
I winced, “Whatever gave you that impression?”
Elisha’s mouth twisted into a sickly smile, “You are just like your mother. You cannot choose which path you want… evil or good. She was such a fool.”
I felt dread seize hold of my heart making it sputter and freeze for a moment. I inhaled sharply. I did not want to hear what Elisha had to say about my mother but my intuition told me that it was the only manner of distracting him before he, for some unexplainable reason, tried to kill me, “What are you saying Elisha? You have known my mother?”
“Oh yes.” His eyes darkened dangerously, “In fact, I loved that shell of a woman and instead of choosing me, she chose that poor brainless artist! I never understood what she saw in him. She used to be my pet… or so I thought. I thought I controlled her every move. She murdered, she stole, and she lied for me and for my master Hurricane. But soon the reality hit me, she controlled me. Like the demon she was she had possessed me. Oh I forgave her many times over but she continued to tear my heart out piece by piece until there was nothing but a black bloody void. Then she met your father and she disappeared leaving me with nothing to live for. But live I did for my master’s sake. He had hardly ever seen your mother but the one time he did he was bewitched by her… just as he was bewitched by you except even more so. It is a good thing he already has no heart or else you would have been the one to rip it from his chest.”
“But what happened to my mother?” I asked softly trying with all my might to keep my voice steady.
“I killed her.” Elisha laughed bitterly, “First I made her husband go insane and I killed her eldest child right before her eyes. I was going to kill her twins, but she hid them from me. I found her after years of searching. It was not an easy fight for she was a dark and light elf mixed, agile and smart. But you see, I too am an elf, and I was many years her senior. I knew magic she did not and finished her life with great vengeance. I searched for you and your brother but your mother had cast a spell, changing your skin from black to pale. But there was no denying that you were her daughter when I saw that first time in the streets of Withalm, and I waited very patiently to take my revenge. Hurricane forbid it because he was astounded with you for reasons I know not. And then you sparked his annoyance because you would not be his. Therefore, he decided that if you would not be his, you would not be anyone’s. He did not have the strength to kill you, for you had become a rare fascination of his. But he gave me permission, finally, to kill you.” As he said this he drew his sword, “You could have been great Willow but you threw it away… just like your mother did.”
With that he swung for me. I saw it coming and somersaulted out of the way meanwhile drawing the daggers that were strapped to my thighs and ankles. Elisha’s eyes widened for a moment, “You have changed much from the maiden in the castle two years ago. I did not see it before, but your appearance has altered much and that wary look in your eyes tells me that you know how to fight.”
His stance changed warning me of his next move. I slipped underneath his next swing and slashed upwards at his wrist. I only managed to nick where his wrist bone was. He tried to slice downwards to cut me but I twisted to the side and barely blocked his next swing with my two daggers. I shoved his sword away and took a left handed swing at his throat while I twisted to the left also. I missed by an inch.
We danced around each other stabbing, faking, twisting, dodging. We seemed to be an equal match. Our footwork matched and we could not find a weakness in each other’s defenses. We fought for what seemed like hours. There were moments when I drove him back with my swift stabs of both hands. But he was quick as well, dodging by inches and receiving a few cuts on his arm, hands, and ankles. I aimed for his tendons but never hit my mark.
In truth he was like bear in the way he fought, he was not agile but he was strong and well armored. I was the one like a feline cat. I dodged his blows with ease and made many cuts on him when he made none on me. But he prevented me from cutting anything vital or anything that would prove to be a crippling injury. I saw that he was using magic to protect himself in many ways for often my blows were blocked by something unseen. I tasted the bitter taste of the black magic in the air and took extra caution to prepare myself for more dangerous attacks of advantageous magic.
Elisha’s eyes were bright with the fire of battle and I suspected mine were too. I felt the adrenaline flowing through my veins. This was much better than sitting and waiting out the battle. I only had to be careful he did not get a swing at my stomach.
My mind was slightly distracted by all that Elisha had told me. I felt the desire for revenge blurring my mind’s sharpness. I tried to shake off the feeling of anger and become simply instinctive. Elisha and I circled each other glowering from underneath our lashes. I anticipated his next move but I was wrong. He faked to the right making me dance towards the left. Suddenly his hand had a dagger and he sliced for my stomach. He hit his mark and barely nicked the P on my stomach. Shock froze me in place and he knocked me backwards onto the ground. He cut my wrist open as I instinctively put it up to protect myself. He had dropped his dagger and stabbed at me with his sword. I rolled away and was on my feet.
Lance’s voice echoed in my head, “They only need to slice through the P and then I will die… It saves me the pain of living without you.” A roar of agony sliced through the sky. I panicked then, Priest was dying.
I was on my feet and moving at unnatural speed. I did not understand where the ability came from.
I spun out of the range of his swinging arm and then danced behind a tree. Elisha’s sword was stuck in the tree for a moment, a stupid move; he should have seen my move for the tree coming. That moment was enough for me, I made a dive for my knife and succeeded in picking it up. Elisha was on me before I could return to my feet so instead I risked the danger of being weaponless and threw my dagger. It hit its mark right in Elisha’s throat.
He made a gurgling sound and then fell to the ground, dead. I breathed a sigh of relief. Truthfully although it had been difficult in some aspects, it had been too easy. Elisha should have been able to kill me straight off.
That was when I saw Wiltar standing on the hill that marked the entrance to the elven valley. I stared at him in shock, “Wiltar?”
Wiltar was by my side in seconds and pulled me into his arms. His face was strained and beads of sweat dripped down his forehead, “Willow, my sister… I used every last spell I knew to make that man slow and clumsy and still thou hast allowed him to sever your stomach. I feel as though there is a great consequence to the simple wound.”
I nodded fear wide in my eyes, “He’s going to die now.” And I said no more. I was running over the hill and towards the valley as fast as I could. But I was so far away. With all my might I screamed telepathically for Sabir, “Sabir! I need to get to Priest, I have failed. Send Breacher!” As I ran I heard the great sweep of wings behind me large claws swept me off the ground and into the air. We ascended into the sky and into the storm which was worse than before. I felt Breacher putting all the strength he had into each flap of his wings. It was not easy task flying through a storm.
The wind made it difficult to travel quickly but before I knew it we were flying over the battle field. I looked down and saw blood, crimson blood soaking every inch of the battle field. I was afraid.

Breacher brought me to the edge of the hill overlooking the valley. It was the hill where Lance had saved me from Hurricane’s blindness. I looked over the battle field, desperately searching for Lance. He could not be dead! The once beautiful plains were soaked in blood and gore. Dying men cried out for help, Wind Beings screeched as they faded into nothing. I recognized people from the city of Withalm, I saw Prince Pashad wounded and bloodied. This had to stop. There had to be an end somewhere.

My eyes flickered desperately; the feeling of loss was gnawing at my soul. Finally my eyes found Lance. He was crumpling to his knees at the feet of Hurricane at the far side of the battle. I screamed in horror, “Lance!” Then I was running across the bloody plains faster then I had ever run. I would not let him die! He could not die! Sabir was suddenly running beside me and then he was past me, running straight for Hurricane. Oh please don’t you die on me too! My legs pumped with all their might; there was no way it was going to end like this.

Sabir cleared my path with vicious growls and painful sweeps of his claws. Somehow I had a dagger in my hand. I did not notice myself picking it up but it seemed that I was far more agile and nimble then even I had thought possible. I dodged Wind Beings and strange monsters that tried to kill me. Nothing could possibly stop me. I was getting closer and I could see Lance tumbling forward into the trampled and blood soaked grass.

A scream of rage welled up in my throat and I let it loose. Hurricane turned to see me coming and laughed.
He was saying something but I did not hear. He readied himself for my onslaught with his sword lifted and ready to kill. But I was not so easy a victim as he had thought. I slipped under his dangerous thrust and did a summersault between his wide stance. I slashed at the tendons in his heel forgetting momentarily that he was Wind Being. My knife hit its mark to my surprise. A knife of normal steel should not be able to wound a Wind Being. But I did not pause to ponder. Hurricane’s terrible winds picked up and threatened to throw me off my feet. But I prevailed and attacked Hurricane again with a furry of slashes and blows. Hurricane’s eyes showed great surprise and I was pleased, if only for a moment.

Hurricane backed away from me, fear flickering in his purple eyes.

“You will NOT get away with this!” I screamed at him, “You will never rule the world!” And with that I sliced his hand, though I’m not sure how, and his sword fell to the ground. I stared deep into those eyes and made sure he saw that I meant to kill him. That I meant to ruin everything he ever dreamed of.

Hurricane suddenly laughed, sweet and hypnotizing, making the entire battle field fade from my vision, “I will never fear you Willow. You are my puppet.” He sneered. I could not move, music surrounded me, enveloped me, hypnotized me. How could he do this? I was Priest’s. Was it because Priest was dead? I needed to be free, to kill him. I had to, and yet I could not. I could only stand and stare at the demon in front of me.

I swayed as his wind whipped around me bringing me closer and closer to Hurricane. I felt my sanity slipping away, a haze came over my thoughts and mind. I knew there was only one thing left to do. With the last bit of sanity I had, I screamed at the top of my lungs,

“PRRRRIIIIIEEEESSST!”
For he was the only hope.

The name echoed through the entire battlefield. It was as though my voice had been magnified to maximum volume. Every human and beast stopped fighting and the ground trembled with horrible convulsions. Whispers of ancient words pierced every ear. I saw people covering their ears or waving their hands as though someone or something were circling around them, whispering, taunting. I let the words vibrate through my soul. I did not know what they meant, but they held power that could silence a battle field.

Hurricane stared in terror at me, “What have you done?!” He whispered. The words became louder and louder, Hurricane covered his ears and fell to his knees, “Leave me be! I have done nothing! Leave me be!” He shuddered and looked up at me with tormented turquoise eyes “Willow?” he whispered in horror.

I looked down on him with no pity, “I am the Priestess and your tormenter.” I gripped my dagger so that my knuckles turned white. The words spoke to me now and somehow I could understand them, they whispered,

“Priestess.”

“Daughter of three Kings.”

“Queen.”

“Tormenter.”

Then they whispered the song that Wiltar had once sung to me. The words surrounded me and I let them sink in. I let my fate have its way even though it hurt more then I could express. I did not want my Priest to die, yet it was essential. I did not know how I was to live without him, the emptiness was greater then ever before. And this Wind Being that kneeled before me was the cause of it all. I screamed and stabbed my knife into the heart of Hurricane. He just stared at me in awe and fear, “My tormentor.” He whispered, and those were his last words.

I turned from his dying eyes and ran to Lance who lay limp on the ground, pale and shivering. His eyes fluttered open for a moment to meet mine and a ghost of a smile played across his lips, “I knew you would be the one to kill him.”

I stroked his face begging him to stay alive. But he shook his head.
My words came out hoarse and faint, “Please what am I to do without you?!”

Lance’s weak fingers curled around mine, “Live” He said. His voice, no longer powerful and tremulous, was just a simple weak whisper. I cannot begin to explain the feeling I felt when he closed his eyes and breathed his last. I could not scream or cry, instead I was numb.
There are no words to describe my feelings, for they faded just as he did. My heart no longer existed and I lived in death... My whole body yearned to stop breathing but Lance’s last word haunted me. I would keep breathing because of him but I could not truly live… no, I was dead.

I wrapped my arms tightly around myself, trying to will the hurt away as I rocked back and forth. My mouth stretched open in a silent agonized scream. I lay my head on Lance’s chest and listened to the sound of silence, the horrible silence that was derived from an absent heart. I clutched his sweat and blood soaked shirt, dying to hear the steady pounding of his heart. The breath was knocked out of me. I was hollow.
I stared at his cold and lifeless face until Shamuth came and gently, but forcefully pried me away. I could not tear my eyes away from Lance’s face even as Shamuth carried me off. I clutched desperately to Shamuth as I continued to scream silently.
I heard the roar of Merlin lash through the skies and I vaguely remember seeing him bound off into the forest, shaking his mighty mane.
I could not cry, for no amount of tears would suffice. Like I said, there are no words to describe the pain. Maybe if you have lost a loved one you can understand a little bit… but no one, no one will ever fully understand, for Lance was not just someone that was close, he was a part of me. He breathed a steady flow of life into me. He was my lifeblood. For all my stubbornness and defiance I had never realized how deeply embedded he was in my heart. Now I saw and understood and I wished I could’ve seen it sooner.

The world in that moment changed like never before. The connection between animals and humans was cut off in that instant. Animals became nothing but animals because there was no longer a reason for them to have a soul and complex understanding. They no longer needed to protect humans from Hurricane. I immediately felt my connection with Tashina and Baldwin break. But there was still something with Sabir. Because I was not entirely human, Sabir and my connection did not break. I thanked heaven above for that, for if my connection with Sabir broke, I would break, every last bit of me and to live would no longer be an option. But Sabir was there, by my side, feeling ever tear of my heart, hearing every scream of my soul. And like no one else can, keeps me breathing.

When storms come I am always reminded of Lance and I know that Merlin still roars mournfully somewhere on this earth, yearning for his master. Every time I see the lightning flash like an intertwined web of light across the dark sky I also see Lance’s eyes flashing with that rare fire that burned within him. And with those storms I scream for all heaven and earth to hear. I would never be whole again.

Life was sucked out of every Wind Being, and wind became nothing but moving air. Because of this Hannah became human once again.

Sometimes you can still hear the old songs whispered through the trees and glades of the forest, but the music in the wind has died forever. Never will you hear a sweeter sound then a Wind Maiden’s song, but it is no more. Maybe you will hear the slightest breath of their song in the tune of a whistling bird, but that is only a taste of what used to be; and maybe the ghost of their past will grant a special human with tunes of old. But it will still never be the same, all that remains is a human’s song and that is all that will ever remain.

Lonely years came and went. I traveled far and wide with Shamuth and Sabir; we were wanderers but never strangers. The people bowed to me and called me their hero but I always told them I was nothing beyond ordinary. They called me Priestess, a name that brought back to reality my haunting past. They also called me Queen Willow, Queen of the plains of Renagaad. Every person, every thing reminded me of Lance. My past would never be left alone. I could only continue to take staggering steps forward even though every muscle and bone screamed for me to give up, to just do nothing, to lay down in a forest glade and die. But I could not, I would not let my life waste away for Lance’s sake.

I concentrated on saving others and putting down vagrants and evil persons. Shamuth, Sabir and I were the ones who caught the worst of murderers, put down rebellions against Prince Pashad and simply made the world a better place. Shamuth and I quarreled and nearly killed each other many times but we were still the closest of friends. Shamuth and Sabir were the only ones who truly knew me. Shamuth would hold me when I could no longer keep the flood of tears back and Sabir would speak to me about those delicate subjects that I could speak to no one else about.

We always returned to the plains of Renagaad after some months. Wiltar and Hannah, now married lived at the edge of the forest just below the hill where I had been saved from Hurricane’s blindness. Their home was the closest thing we had to home and for some reason it was like the only piece of Lance that I had left. Every time I sat gazing over the plains from my favorite spot on the hill, I could see the battle, the blood, and Lance crumpling to his knees. Every time I felt my heart break all over again and the emptiness gnawed at my soul. I was dead. I was simply a body wandering around the earth.

I thought about the time when Priest told me I was his lifeblood… now I knew that it was quite the opposite. He was my lifeblood.

Wiltar and Hannah did everything in their power to make me happy again. They even tried a silly matchmaking game. It only ended up cutting me deeper even though I did everything in my power not to show it.

It was at the end of my fifth year of wandering and I had come home to Wiltar and Hannah to spend the coldest month of winter with them. Shamuth, Sabir and I came in our traveling gear to the door of the firelight house. The wind was blowing fiercely and the snow and ice whipped at our faces and nipped our noses. I pounded on their door, and it opened to us within seconds. Hannah let us in with an overjoyed smile. As soon as I had taken off my coat she wrapped me in a warm embrace, “It has been too long. I am used to you being away for at most three months but not an entire year.”

I gave her my best effort at a smile, “The crime rates have increased in Withalm and Steph wanted me to stay for the birth of her second son. It turned out to be a beautiful girl.”

Hannah was delighted at the news and she asked many questions as she guided us down the hall and into the living room. Wiltar was bent over the fire, prodding it with a poker. He stood and greeted us warmly. And just like he did every other time I came home, he took my face in his hands looked into my eyes to search for a change, but then when he found none, he pulled me into a warm embrace, “I’m so very glad to have you back with us.”

We all sat around the fire and chatted. In truth it was mostly Sabir and Shamuth doing the talking. I had never been a terribly talkative person and the fact that I had crawled so far into my own little shell cut me off even more. Instead, while they talked I stared into the flickering flames which reminded me so much of Lance.

The night faded into morning and the snow storm stopped. I had not slept all night and so when I saw the sun peeking over the horizon, I bundled up and left the house to go sit on my favorite spot on the hill. I sank down into a sitting position and looked over the snow covered plains. I smiled, when the plains were covered by snow they did not remind me so much of the battle. The snow sparkled in the morning sun like millions of tiny diamonds. Snow began to fall softly again and I held out my hand to catch a few flakes. I felt peace.

Without warning and to my great surprise the ground suddenly started shaking and a low rumble grew louder and louder until it was a mighty, majestic roar filling the sky. Merlin? I thought confused. I had not seen the lion since he had run off into the forest, I had thought him dead. The whole earth let out a labored moan and shook for a good length of time then it was silent. In fact, it was far more silent then I had ever experienced. There was not even the hint of a wind.

The strangest sensation flowed through me at that moment. I felt a breath of life fill my lungs. My frozen heart began to beat again and blood began to flow through my veins. My Lifeblood, I thought. The dead in me was raised to life again though I knew not why. I heard the soft crunch of snow behind me. I prepared to turn around and see who it was, but something stopped me, something froze my body in place and set my heart racing at the speed of light… A deep, tremulous voice that said,

“Willow… I’m back.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.