My life His Rules | Teen Ink

My life His Rules

By CaseyLizzy1002, palm bay, Florida
CaseyLizzy1002, Palm Bay, Florida

''Love is more then what meets the eyes ''- unknown

I woke up in my room, but it wasn’t my room. The walls weren’t sea foam green; the door didn’t have paint chipping on the upper right-hand corner and there were not any of my pictures on the walls. Plus I was naked, and I for one am never naked when I sleep. Something had gone horribly wrong.

As I laid there I could hear only my rhythmic breaths. I listened to my own little harmony trying to wipe away this dream. When I opened my eyes I realized it wasn’t. I tried to remember what happened last and all I could remember was Chelsea inviting me to a party. As I turned over to get out of bed I felt my back going over someone’s hand.

“Cuss!” I cried, quickly catching the word in my mouth. This couldn’t be happening, I thought, it just couldn’t be happening.

know. For some reason I only checked the last one, I think it was because I already knew what the others had said. Mom and Dad were missing me and Chelsea was wondering why I didn’t drive her home. But this number was different all it said was something weird.

“How are you doing today?” was all it said. I simply ignored it. No one asked questions like that anymore, at least not in this town. It was just strange.I removed the sheet from the person’s face half expecting to find a walking corpse. Instead I found the beautiful and sleeping remnant of the most popular guy in school. His name was Shawn Gomez. He had golden brown hair, and eyes the color of almonds. He was a smart boy, I had been close friends with him back in grade school, and we were both in the gifted program together. I remembered one time when he unleashed a whole army of frogs on the cafeteria floor. He was a very strange boy back then.

He lied there his lip quivering as he slept almost like he was about to cry. I wonder what happened the night before but, no. I don’t want to remember. I got off of the bed and brushed off my body, I felt violated by the open windows but I checked and we were on the second story. I looked around for my clothes and my cell phone and found my cell phone near the mirror, mounted on the wall. I checked the messages, twenty seven from mom and dad, three from Chelsea and one from a number that I didn’t

I found my clothes and got dressed. A pink tee, some pants and a jean jacket cover. I tip toed down the stairs and found what simply a horror scene. Teens lie drunk on the floor like the living dead, moaning and groaning for human flesh. They wished for some semblance of life in this atrocious state that they were in. I stepped carefully over each one of them to the door hoping that maybe I could escape any one of them seeing the fear and shame inlaid into my eyes. I reached the door and it was victory for me but as I opened it the light of morning shined in and they hissed and burned. They were worms inching away from the light as quickly as their meaningless limbs allowed them to.

I left and slammed the door behind me. Their cries echoed in my mind. I shook off the pain of leaving them, but I had to get home. What else was I to do?

Keys, ignition, turn, start my car sped away from the curb and moved to home at a breakneck speed. As I raced to my own personal part of hell called home I remembered the party or at least parts of it.

It was supposed to be a normal party like all the rest, just a bunch of kids hanging out and talking. Chelsea didn’t tell me there was going to be a keg. Chelsea didn’t tell me that it was a special sort party. I would have never have gone if she had told me Shawn would be there. And that is where the problem began. I knew I didn’t belong there from moment when I saw that every girl was in a nice dress and I was in my t-shirt and jeans, stood out like a sore thumb I say. So like every party I sat on a couch far away from everyone and just drank my cherry wine.

The party was dull, lively music and livelier people were not enough to drown out the monotone music that the town ebbed. Chelsea and I had thought up this music when we were little girls. It wasn’t a metallic sound with fasteners and rivets; it was unlike a machine turning us into the Borg. There was no “assimilate or die” quality to it. It was simply that we would grow up in that town, and we would live there until we grew old and died. Nothing more nothing less, it was not inescapable, for sure some people would get out of it and find their own way. But for the most of us, we just didn’t have the willpower to do it. It was the way it always was and always will be. I hated that.

So I sat there listening to the music of the town, Westfall, as it was known. I tapped my finger to its irregular beat and just sat there thinking. I had emptied a few glasses of the wine I had drunk, and began to feel the buzz, becoming more in tune with the signal. It said things it said words. None of which I was accustomed to, but it sounded so familiar. This was the air I had grown up in that I had grown around. The air of tradition and trials, the air of status quo that permeated through my skin since I was a baby; I knew what it was saying, it said…
`

“How are you Alice?” the voice shocked me back to reality in an instant. I looked up shivering in my own fear and found a boy about my age with amazing silver blonde hair. It was Shawn.

“I’m doing okay.” I feigned an answer.

That is all it took, before I knew it we were talking and he was making me laugh. We were having a wonderful time. He told me all about this science fiction show that I really should have gotten into, and I told him, in detail, how a phaser from Star Trek really worked (even though I liked Star Wars better). It was actually quite simple, my brother had told me all about it and in the back of my head I knew that he was safely in his bed and that mom and dad were worried sick. Shawn must not have understood that well because he asked if we could go upstairs to talk about it more, something about it being too loud.

After that it got fuzzy. Shawn came back with the last round of drinks and I threw mine to the back of my mouth without even giving a second thought. I should have tasted it first, I should have seen if it was foggy, I should have even looked at the darned thing before I chugged it. In short, I was stupid and I trusted him. I shouldn’t have followed him up the stairs, I shouldn’t have been talking to a boy like him and I shouldn’t have been drinking. I shouldn’t have been at that party period. I couldn’t remember what happened next.
All I knew was that my parents were right.

I drove through town and it didn’t take me long to get home. The town of Westfall was small. Not too much of a small town, you could still find people you hadn’t met before but it’d take a little looking.

I managed to park in the driveway, which meant that Dad’s car was out. That meant that he was out. And that meant that he was looking for his little girl. Me.

I sat there and stood at the door, I knew joey wouldn’t see me he was at his friend’s house today. I felt like a victim about to be part of some deranged murder story. The headline would read: Daughter found dead, parents nowhere to be found. Maybe they would kill me slowly, maybe quick and painless. I didn’t know until I opened the door. I knew I had to do it eventually; so I slowly turned the doorknob.

Inside I saw the hollow of my mother. She was a ghost of her former self, like some sort of monster was wearing her skin and taking whatever life she had left. It was sad as I saw her there sitting on the couch crying, she had never let me see her cry until recently when I had started going to these sorts of parties. I would see her in these arguments and her tears would just keep flowing. She was so passionate that I cried sometimes too. But it didn’t look like she wanted to argue now. She had simply missed her little girl.

As she turned around I saw her face light up like a star at night. She beamed with a smile and ran to me; suddenly the joy of the situation came with my shame. I had left her alone to this sadness, but the joy of the reunion kept me silent. She wrapped her warm arms around me and squeezed me tight as a child grips a teddy bear. She pulled away and grinned through the tears.

“Your father will want to talk to you” Was all she could say. I knew what she meant.

I sat there on the couch watching the people on the television move. In large purple letters they spelt M: U: T: E. I saw a ballerina dancing in a dental commercial. I couldn’t even tell it was a commercial by the way she danced so wonderfully. She flowed around the stage as the white swan so gracefully, like water over the stage she flooded my eyes with the beauty that was her. I only knew it was a dental commercial by the way she smiled and the word “Colgate” appeared at the top of it with a little tube of toothpaste by its side.

After the commercial I was content with looking around at the room. Wooden furniture suggested that we were from wealth. But we weren’t, we simply inherited the furniture from my grandfather who owned the only furniture store. His story is quite amazing to be ending up here. My father says he was a cheap old man that ran a furniture store in one of the bigger towns around here. He was a horrible person constantly hitting the bottle and leaving his family without so much a word as a simple “I’ll be back soon.” Grandma left him when Dad was about fourteen. That’s all I ever heard of him, I’m not even sure if Dad knew his first name.

“Alice where were you?” Suddenly Dad was in front of me. I looked at the clock, its five minutes past from when I saw it last. I tried but I couldn’t remember what happened. That was wrong; I tried to get up but my legs were wobbly.

“Alice where were you, answer me.” Dad had the same question.

“It was a party.” I said looking at him, there was a haze around my eyes.

“You were drunk weren’t you?” I opened my mouth but didn’t have a thing to say. “You were drinking again, oh god you are such a stupid girl.”

He started to walk away but I, in my pseudo-stupor, got up and grabbed his shoulder. “Dad I’m sorry.”

He shrugged me off and shoved a spike through my chest. He didn’t turn back as my heart began to bleed out. I felt the pain in my chest as I rushed after him and turned him around to look at me. I took all of my pain and spite and turned it into the sharpest sword I could and opened my mouth.

“At least I’m not cheating on my wife.” He stopped dead as the sword found its rightful place buried hallway deep into his skull.

For a second I was glad about what I had done. Then I looked into his eyes and found genuine pain. He really had done it. I didn’t know what to do so I tried to apologize. “Dad I don’t know I’m really” He walked away “sorry.”

Mom sat on the couch crying again. I went upstairs to get ready for school.

I took a shower, and cried in there for a while. I heard the cars as they left, Mom took my/her car to go pick up Joey, and Dad went off to work at the tire factory that just about everyone’s dad worked at. After they both were gone I got out of the shower and dried off my body and my tears. I got dressed in a blue blouse and some green-blue shorts. I put on a jacket and tossed my backpack on and walked out to the bus stop, locking the door behind me.

It was a nice sunny day, the wind still cold from the winter coming in. The sky was a blue color that you only see in story books. I smiled a bit at the day, regardless of how I was feeling at least others were having a good day. I had to put on another guise of a perfect life, as if anyone but Chelsea cared.

I waited at the bus stop for about five minutes, in that time Chelsea showed up with her usual perky self.

“Hiya, honey” She said grinning trying to cheer me up even though she didn’t know she was trying. It was working

“Hiya” I said trying not to smile too hard. I gave a slight wave.

“Where did you go last night?” She asks frowning “You were my ride home.”

“I got a little sick and I had to go home early. I couldn’t find you.” I lied quickly.

It was a poorly made lie but she took it anyway saying “Oh its ok, I actually took the ride home from a boy.” She leans in and whispers in my ear “We made out for like twenty minutes in front of my house.”

She yips and we both smile, holding hands. She gives me his details. Tall, black hair, muscular, a mustache and goatee, he was one of last year’s football players. His name was Max Malchovich, and she loved the way it just rolled off the tongue with an exotic flare. The bus pulled up and we sat in the middle, still talking about this boy named Max. I was only half listening looking out the window at a landscape that I had seen a thousand times before. Two stops away from us I saw a lone boy at one of the bus stops he was about seventeen by his height, and he looked clean shaven. He wore all black and held a nice clean grin with a big hat on his head. The hat seemed bit overkill but I ignored it. I was just a bit interested in the way this boy held himself. He had the air of pride around him and as he got on the bus I felt it like a flood.

Our eyes met as he floated to the end of the bus, he gave a slight grin and I turned blush pink and turned away. Chelsea caught wind of it and opened her mouth wide about to say something stupid I was sure. So I quickly covered her mouth and pretended everything was alright. The boy was halfway to his seat from where I sat and he looked back seeing our antics and laughed a bit. I turned staring at his back and looked away when he sat down, still covering Chelsea’s mouth. I glanced back and he took off his hat revealing neatly combed and jetty hair.

“Did you just lick my hand?” I looked back at Chelsea in shock.

Chelsea nodded smiling. “You like him.”

I cross my arms “what’s it to you?”

Chelsea began playing with her hair like a little school girl and she asked trying to toy with me “Do you want to know his name?”

I lit up like red Christmas lights, each of my freckles their own shade of crimson. “No.” I lied badly. But regardless of my attempt at deceit Chelsea caught on.

“His name is Valentine, like the day you know.” She beamed with her chin resting on her arm observing me “He’s actually really dreamy but I don’t know much about him, since you know he never talks to anyone, but you know that right?”

“Yeah I knew that.” Why did I keep lying? I looked down wondering if my pants were on fire.

I was silent the rest of the way to school. I tried to wait a little for Valentine to go ahead of me; nonetheless Chelsea pushed me out into the moving machine of a line. I decided to keep moving forward with the flow of the world, like I always did. So not to make a disturbance I just went along with everyone else.

I stepped out of the doors and saw Shawn standing there at the school gates. I hid my face as I walked past him. He grabbed my arm and pulled me in. I looked around for Chelsea. She was nowhere to be found.

Shawn leaned in and let his breath touch my cheek, I shivered. “I don’t like waking up alone honey. You should have stayed, maybe next time we could have some more fun.” I could feel his dark smile as he kissed my cheek.

I pulled away suddenly, and I slapped his face.
SMACK. The world stopped and looked at us. I turned flush and looked down. Shawn simply smiled kept the bile in the back of his throat as he spoke.
“I’m sorry Alice; I should have driven you home.” He sounded genuine but for someone who is used to lying I could hear the poison. Everyone else took the lie as truth, they knew Shawn’s personality as far as he would let him and it made sense to them. A girl was upset that she had to walk home after one of his explorations. It was something that they could accept so as easily as a shot in the arm.
The world started moving again and he leaned in again “You won’t be so lucky next time.” He flowed away.

“A mind shifting, a mind staying, a mind dancing is one worth saving.” He sang as he walked through the halls. It was almost under his breath but if one stood close enough one could hear the rhythmic melody that was in his voice. It was a mystical tune, his heels clicked to the happy beat.
As he danced down the halls the adolescents gave him dark, dark looks. They were angry at him for something he didn’t even do, but he didn’t care he knew he was worth so much more, If they even knew.
“Good morning Val, how are you doing today?” Joshua Weiss was a nice boy. He had his demons like the rest, but like Valentine, he seemed to always look on the bright side of things. His parents were divorced when he was little and he took it hard. He had taken it hard when he was little and then he turned his pain into a love for video-photography. That explained the lens in Valentine’s face as turned to greet his friend.
“Get that thing out of my face, Joshua.” He pushed the lens away from him laughing.
“Aw.´ Joshua pulled the camera in closer to examine the damage. “You smudged the lens.” He started mock crying and cried out “You monster!”
“Dude” Valentine touched Joshua’s back giggling; Joshua flinched and turned away from him keeping up the charade. Normal people ignored them and continued on their boring existence, as they had all the fun. Valentine leaned in and as sincere as he could muster he whispered “I’m sorry about your camera Joshua”
Joshua sniffled a little “do you really mean it?”
Valentine smiled calming saying “No now cry me a river now build a bridge and get over it.”
They both laughed putting up the farce for some other occasion. They hugged as brothers, Joshua putting his arm around Valentine’s head and ruffling his hair. It was happy, oh so very happy.
I glimpsed a bit of it as I walked out to English class where I had to give a lecture. Well I sort of caught more than a glimpse because I sort of walked right into one of the columns that held up the school roof. I was a klutz.
Paper, books, desk, chair, sit, sat, listen, read, wait, class began. The teacher, Mr. Oer a.k.a. Mr. “I used to be on the board of education, but I retired and then my retirement money wasn’t enough to live on, so I had to go again and get my teaching license and I am forever disappointed in the system nowadays, but I still abide by it because I don’t have anything else to believe in,” checked me out as I walked in the classroom and I hid my face. He was a bad man, I could tell. I met his wife once and she had a large nasty bruise on her arm she seemed not to mention or notice. She however was a nice lady; with low self-esteem I could be sure. I could just look at her and tell the beauty of her youth. He droned on about how keeping hydrated was good for speeches, Yes, What?
He called on me, to give a speech. I was petrified; my legs wouldn’t let me move. I couldn’t say a word. I felt I was dead but I could still breathe, I hoped I was dead but I could still breathe.
“RING! RING! RING!” The bell cut through the class, it called for lunch B. Smelly teens with imbalanced hormones got up all around me and in the melting pot of voices I found the strength to lift myself from this corpse. The bell, It was a savior to me who was a small person in a much bigger picture.

The lunch room was a mix of the seven deadly sins in the worst of ways. I sat at a table with Chelsea and Lily, far away from the Over weights who gorged themselves with food, and from the Underweight airheads who let themselves vomit up what little food they ate during this time. The Underweights ruled this school with their little bit of popularity, the guys swooned for those tiny waists and the girls envied those blue eyes. It was sickening the way that they thought that they were better than all the rest of us, but then again I had thought that I was better than the nerds, and junkies and a few other groups, because, simply, that’s how things were.
I moved myself I had packed some green apple slices, and a ham sandwich, not turkey; I was an idiot and refused to eat any sort of bird. If someone were to look at me at the time they would have called me and imbecile and laughed. I would have laughed to if I met anyone like that. But then again there is a major difference between watching your life and experiencing it.
Black boots pounded against the tile with a rhythmic beat. He was just so close he was created by the air around and sat next to me. His pale smile cut through his star power and he was just another teen to me, a beautiful one at that. I was just too taken by his looks to realize he had even spoken to me for a moment.
“Alice, are you there?” His voice was like a song. Going up and down with his heartbeat, or was it my heartbeat. Because the music of my heart was so loud that it was deafening.
“Yeah I’m here.” His breath took away mine.
“So like I was saying I really like the way you did your hair.” I had only just tossed my hair around with a little bit of mouse but if he liked it then I must have done something right.
“Oh thank you.” I gasped helplessly.
“So I saw that you and Jessie McCartney had a little event over there.” His tone became a little more quiet, just a little more serious. “If you need help, I am there remember that.”
This boy I had just met was offering me help in a problem he knew nothing about. I should have been offended but I had no reason to be, he was sincere enough, honest enough, and a generally good guy. “No really I’m ok.”
He knew I was lying but didn’t push the issue “I understand.”
“Hi!” Lily and Chelsea appeared to my side and a smiling Chelsea said “Well I think we will just leave you two alone to get acquainted.”
He laughed and patted my head, standing up and saying “It seems like I’m done here for now. I hope you have a good day Alice, you too Chelsea.”
Chelsea and Lily began to geek out over what had just happened. Lily said that he was cute and Chelsea wanted to know all the details of our conversation. I wasn’t listening to either of them though my mind was out on the boy that I had just met and what had just went on.
I had watched as he walked away. His heels hitting the ground with a resounding click as he walked. The clicking was almost to a beat almost to music, but a little off, not like the melody of this town but a more happy and lighthearted tune with a dark underlying. He had secrets just like all of us, I could tell. He, somehow, had managed to wear his heart on his sleeve and be happy nonetheless.

I was back in English class, the teacher droning on almost the same as before. Something about English’s most beautiful phrase “cellar door”. Everything in my head kept rhyming, even though I knew in my head it was lying. I felt so corrupt. Sitting there as the teacher called me up. I moved and I moved and I went to the front, all in my embarrassment I couldn’t keep up my front. It gnawed at me and I swayed. Seconds felt like days. Everything was weird, I couldn’t breathe I couldn’t see.
All I said was “I gotta pee.”
Suddenly they came to life, all to my dark mistrust and strife. They laughed and giggled, under their heel I squirmed and wriggled. They sounded like a thousand clowns, all tossing and shouting me down. From a cliff a place so high up, I began to cry. This was enough. I ran out of the room, running to my doom. I ran out the halls, I slowly swooned. I was about to throw up, I threw open the doors of the bathroom.

Bathroom stall, deposit a check; it’s all in change well what the heck.

I crouched down over the toilet, letting it all go, my tears and my lunch. I cried because no one knew me, I didn’t even know myself. Sixteen years in a small town really didn’t do much for me; I just flowed along listening to the sound of the beat. Never taking a part always watching, I had never wanted to really fit in, I was content in observing. But now I didn’t really have a choice. This year mattered the most in my career as a student. I was beginning to fail horribly. I didn’t know what to do. Just at that moment I had felt that I had been thrust into the limelight and someone gave me my cue. And I just stood there like I didn’t know what to do, because, in all sincerity, I didn’t.

That was when things changed. I heard a sad sound in the deepest parts of my soul. It was coming from all around and inside of me. This song of me filled me with energy I was no longer afraid.

I got out of the stall and then I heard another song, a song of confusion. Valentine stood directly in front of me, behind him were the urinals. Urinals?!? Why are there urinals in the girls bathroom, I thought, then I realized, Oh God.

“Alice you aren’t supposed to be here.” His voice was deep.

“I’m sorry, I’ll leave.” I said immediately, my song had gone wrong and the song of the town had taken over me again.
He stepped closer to where we were a breath’s width apart. “No I’m serious; you aren’t supposed to be here. A lot of bad things are about to happen.” His head cocked toward the door on the left. I heard voices. Valentine grabbed my arm and pushed me into the bathroom stall, he looked me in the eyes when I turned around and said calmly “Stay off the ground, and don’t make a sound. You’ll know when it’s done.”
I got up on the toilet seat and crisscrossed my legs, it was nasty in there. Fluids I didn’t want to think about were on the ground and graffiti on the walls. That’s when I heard them enter.
There were three of them by the sound of their voices, laughing and giggling all the like. A voice like Shawn’s spoke first “Oh well lookie here, we found us our lost little deputy sheriff.”
“I don’t want to hurt you,” Valentine said firmly. But Shawn and his henchmen wouldn’t take it.
One of his lackeys found the will to speak, this one sounded excessively strong and stupid “Oh sounds like little V over here doesn't want to play.”
“No, no I don’t and I don’t think the two of you want to either.” Valentine’s voice changed to something that made the air around him cold enough to make me shiver.
The door opened and they scurried out, leaving Shawn and Valentine alone. Shawn began to laugh and doubled over in a way that was almost sickening. His tears fell to the ground and he simply couldn’t contain his amusement. This caught me off guard, laughing, I thought, what the hell is going on?
“What are you doing?’ Val asked taking a step back from his previously defined part of defense. Now he was confused, and that seemed to be Shawn’s point.
“Do you really think you can scare me with all that s***? I’ve seen things; there are things in this town even you could not believe.” He gasped through the laughs that were almost killing him. He stopped laughing and he sniffed the air. “I can smell her, she’s here isn’t she?”
I heard noises, a hiss and a solid smack against flesh, it sounded hollow. Valentine opened the stall door and I saw Shawn doubled over against the sink; a large scrape was on his back, blood spurting out to the world like a fountain. Valentine looked uninjured, save a gash on his shoulder that didn’t bleed.
He reached out to me and the world around me became black. He told me to grab his hand that everything would be all right. I grabbed his hand and he pulled me closer. I held his body as he made a strange noise in my ear, I passed out.

I got into his car, it smelled weird. i thought it smelled like decay or something worse than decay. all that time the smell gave me a chill that went down my spine. He started the car and turned the radio on, some station with country music, i didn’t figure him for a country guy. We drove for hours, I did not know where we were going, but I think that it is to his house. I knew that my parents would be worried and I am too but I didn’t care. All I wanted was to get away from them after what had happened last night and now, thank god, I am. Then

“Hey, sleeping beauty, I see that you are awake.” a voice wakes me from my dream
“Where are we anyway?” I say tiredly.
“Montana,” he said cheerfully.
I thought, Oh NO! I am thousands of miles away from home with a guy I hardly know, great!
“Why are we in Montana? I thought we were going to your house.”
“We are going to my brother’s house. I can’t go back there again or I’ll go to jail for saving your butt, Alice,” he said sadly.
Saving my butt who does he think he is?! My bodyguard?! I thought all of this building my sass meter to burn his ass.
“I never asked you to kill Shawn, did I? No!”
“I knew how you felt ok and I bet it was not happy.”
“Happy! Like you know what’s right for me, you don’t know me?!”
Half of me wanted to know but the other half was scared of the answer.
“Trust me, I do ok so don’t worry. Just sit back and enjoy the rest of the ride, ok?”
“Ok,” I said and turned my head to look out the window at the rain. If someone would be looking from outside it would seem as if I was crying. I thought maybe I should be crying I was taken away by some unknown person, not even a person a murderer, to a place I don't even know. I check my phone, no signal.
Snow was piled up on the side of the road and the car felt really cold. Why doesn’t he turn the heat. I woke up but then fell back to sleep from the sound of the rain again.
“We're here, Alice,” Valentine said scaring me half to death in my sleep.
Its now morning and I am still wondering about my parents. Are they calling the police or if they were running around town looking for me, which of course.
I’m not at.
Valentine’s brother’s house is deep in the woods. I could tell when I got out of the car. The house looked small but how should I know I am only outside.
Knock! Knock!
The door opened and Valentine’s brother was in his pjs. He was tall and his hair was black as night. Also he was skinny but not too skinny to where you start seeing bones.
“Hey! Valentine.”
“Hey! This is my friend Alice. Alice this is my brother Damon,” he said looking at me.
“Hi,” I said shaking his hand which was very smooth and soft.
“Hey!” he said smiling at me.
“Come on in, I have food on the table for you guys,” Damon said. ”Also Alice there is some clothes for you in the room down the hall to the left and the shower is across the room. Just in case you wanted to change and take a shower before you have breakfast with us.”
“How do you know my size, Damon,” I said a bit uneasy and freaked out.
“Well let’s say Val checked your size as you were sleeping. “
“Oh ok, I am going to go shower then,” I said then walked off down the hall.
Oh great Valentine checked my clothes size while I was sleeping and I did not even feel it. When I got to the room it was nice; the walls were dark blue and the bed was big. I love big beds. Also there was a small window above the bed which the sun shined on my clothes. The clothes were pretty; I had five tops and shorts all different colors and one pair of black sandals I had on.
After I got done putting the clothes away in the dresser, I then went across the hall and took a hot shower. After I was done I headed down the hallway to the kitchen to eat breakfast. I was starving.
“How was the shower?” Valentine asked.
“It was great. Why haven’t you guys started eating yet, aren’t you hungry ?”
“There’s no rush,” Damon said smiling again at me as I took a seat and so I started eating and they did also.
After we ate I helped clear off the table. As I went to put the dishes in the washer I saw that a tile on the floor had a crack in it. It was big enough for your fingers to slide through and pull it out. I am going to check it out later when everyone is sleeping. I then went to the TV and turned it on only to see my face on the news and under it saying missing. Damon and Valentine saw it too and Damon whispered something into his brother’s ear. I stood there with mixed feelings like relief, sadness, worry, and happiness.
“I think we need to dye your hair and cut it. What do you say, Alice?” Damon said with a smile like he was happy about it.
I didn’t know what to say. I just sat down on the couch and I know that I am happy I am not home and have to face my parents divorce but I was scared. I was scared because I did not know Valentine very well or his brother. I was thousands of miles away from home. I know that I was expecting my parents to file a report but I was still shocked some.

I then stood up from the couch and went to the kitchen table and sat down. They both sat down too.
“About dying your hair, Alice, yes or no?” Damon said angrily because I was not answering.
“I want to go home.”
“We can’t allow that. My brother will go to jail if he is seen and plus I bet you can enjoy life here,” Damon said hopefully.
“Just try it ok, Alice, and if you don’t like it then Damon will take you home,” Valentine said trying to make things better.
We sat there in silence for a few minutes thinking about this whole thing. I came to the conclusion that I will dye my hair and stay here and see how everything goes for now. I wanted to go home but I wasn’t ready to face reality again.
“What color dye do you think I should put in my hair?” I said hoping that they were not going say black.
“Umm I think black,” Valentine said knowing somehow that I didn’t want that color.
Then we got up from the table and Valentine walked me to the back room at the end of the hall way to get me some black hair dye. It was a little weird that his brother Damon kept hair dye for girls in his house but who cares I guess. So then I just went to the bathroom, wet my hair with dye, waited for a couple of minutes, rinsed it, and afterward dried it.
While I was dyeing my hair Valentine and Damon took a step outside for a talk which I knew was about me.

“So, Damon, Do you think she would like it here?” Valentine said as he was kicking a pile of rocks around thinking.
“She’ll get used to it. Don’t worry about it too much bro,” Damon said as he looked back at the house with hope.
“Umm Damon, Alice saw my eyes turn red back at the school,” Valentine said nervously as he took a seat on the ground with Damon.
“She saw your eyes change, Valentine, What if she figures us out and who we really are,” Damon said angrily with his fist in a tight ball.
When I got out of the bathroom the house was quiet and still, so I decided to go see what the boys were up to and to show them my new hair. I headed up the hallway and out the back door. I stopped when I heard them still talking and I just stood there listening to the conversation hoping that I wouldn’t be caught.
“Don’t worry about Alice she will never find out and I will make sure she doesn’t,” Valentine said happy but still worried.
I noticed that Damon was not responding and I started to freak out because I think that he noticed that I was supposed to have been out ten minuets ago. Just then I stepped outside.
“Hey, Guys sorry I took too long.”
“It’s fine,” they both said in unison.
I just stood there thinking about what is it that I do not know and why they will not tell me.
“Nice hair, Alice,” said Valentine while smiling at me.
“Thanks, I like it too.” I said quickly and I sort of liked it, even though I didn’t want it black anyway.

It was morning and the sun shined beautifully through the window above me. The weird thing that I didn’t get was why there was only one window and so high up above the bed. I then sat up and walked to the dresser and pulled out a pink top with blue shorts. After I got dressed I made the bed and started to walk to the door when it opened up a crank.
“Hey are you up,” Damon said softly.
I was shocked that it was Damon and not Valentine but happy also.
“Yea I am up but what time is it, Damon?”
“It is 9:00 am,” he said as he came in and closed the door behind him.
As he did this I sat down on the bed. He then sat next to me and turned his head to face me. Our faces were only inches away from each others, but that bothered me even though I liked him some.
“Do you like it here? I know it has only been about two days so far, but you will get used to it,” he said with a weird look on his face as he moved even closer to me. Now our hands were touching.
“Um… I like it but I miss my life,” I said as I could feel my heart beating faster and faster.
“Valentine told me that you never had a boyfriend before and that you are a loner at school.”
I just stared at him. The only thing that I was thinking of was hurting Valentine and try not talking in my sleep ever again around him.
“He is right, but I am not that much of a loner because everyone knows me in school.”
“Oh, but they don’t hang out with you, do they?” he said leaning into me.
“No,” I said sadly.
“Do you want to be a part of something that can change your life forever?” Damon said with an evil look in his eyes that gave me a chill down my back.
I did not know what he was talking about. How can he make my life better and make me popular?
“I don’t know,” I said wanting to get away from him because I got a bad feeling in my stomach all of a sudden and I wanted to kiss him so badly but was scared.
Just then he kissed me on my lips and I wanted to pull away but couldn’t find the strength to. He pulled away slowly and looked at my eyes like he was peering down into my soul. I knew that something wasn’t right and yet I wanted him to kiss me again. I just loved the way it felt.
“So do you want to change your answer, Alice?” he said sweetly.
I still didn’t get what he was going to do if I said yes, but I then took a chance.
“Yes, I want to be a part of something that can change my life forever,” I said.
“Good,” he said and kissed me.
I melted inside and I kissed him back as he pulled away some. He pushed me down and laid on top of me. He started to kiss me slowly to my neck. Just then he stopped and looked up at me. He took my arms and held me down on the bed. My heart started to race and now I was really scared. He just started to smile and his eyes turned red and his mouth opened with sharp teeth.
I screamed and Valentine came in and pushed him off of me.
“Alice, are you ok?” I count not speak or move at all. I was speechless.
“Damon, what were you thinking? Can you at least control your hunger!” Valentine said angrily.
Damon’s eyes went back to normal again and he ran out of the house. I fell on the floor shaking in fear. Valentine stepped out of the room to go get some hot tea from the kitchen, so that I could calm down some. After he came back he then went in the hallway and I could hear him going into Damon’s room and I don’t know why.
“So that’s what’s gotten in to you,” he whispered under his breath as he came out of the room and hurried back to me.
I was still on the floor in shock and disbelief at what just happened.
“Here’s some tea, it’s hot, so try not to burn yourself.”
I took the tea and drank it. There was silence between us when I got up and put the coffee cup on the dresser.
“Here have a seat,” Valentine said as he sat on the bed.
I knew something was up between them when I stepped outside yesterday. The only thing that scared me now was the fear that Damon might hurt me again.
“Alice, Damon and I are not human; we are vampires,” he said smoothly and slowly, “We both are not going to hurt you ok, but Damon got drunk and that is what caused him to get out of control like this. I am truly sorry about what just happened right now. We were going to tell you but I was not hoping it would be through this way.”
Ok let me get this straight they are vampires and they do not want to hurt me but one of them just attacked me because he was drunk. This is starting to freak me out.
“Ok, so you are a vampire and Damon is also. Then that’s why your eyes were red in the bathroom,” I said as calmly as I could.
This was freaking me out a lot and Valentine was not lying. This was too much for me to handle and I needed a break.
“I need some air.”
“Sure.”

The air was cold when I took a step on the back porch. The woods in front of me were so still and there was no breeze at all, which set fear in me. It felt like death and I didn’t like that feeling at all. My mind saw an image of thousands of soldiers falling to their deaths on these trees some impaled but most losing all hope on the ground. those that were still alive cried out for help that would never come. I don’t know what to do now.The trees seemed to watch me i walked back inside sitting on the couch thinking.
I could accept the fact that Valentine and his brother are vampires (if there was such a thing) or I could just run and go to the police, like they would believe me . I always wonder that since I was missing, if it was bringing my parents together again or if they were just yelling at each other about whose fault it was that I ran away. I steped back outside as this thought just kept going through my head as I was standing there, but then I saw Damon step out from the woods.He was wearing jeans and a white top. He looked really striking as a little wind came and blew the hair from his eyes showing the tiniest glint of red. His eyes just looked empty as though he had no soul, and he didn’t i could tell but he had a heart i was sure of that. because he saved me. We just stood there facing each other. All I wanted to do was move and get Valentine because I didn’t know if Damon was still messed up but for some reason I couldn’t move a muscle. Damon then took a step towards me and I freaked.
I couldn’t move and he just started to walk towards me. Then he stopped as he saw Valentine come up from beside me and I jumped inside because he scared the crap out of me as he showed up by me.
"Damon, why just why?," he said sadly and coldly. I started to get a bad feeling that this wasn’t going to end well. There was no wind again and it was silent out here and all they did was stare at each other. I then finally had the strength to move and I took a step back.
"Alice," someone said softly in my ear and I jumped.
"Alice, are you ok?" Valentine said as he turned around to face me.
" Someone called my name and you and Damon did not speak at all"

Damon and Valentine both look at each other and then I blacked out.
White was around me all white nothing in-between no walls or floor just white. though somehow it felt tight, close fitting, smutering. No spell it S-M-O-T-H, smothering. I opened up my lungs and couldn’t breath. the white started moving, moving fast or moving slow I couldn’t tell which my eyes were closed. But it was inside my eyes, the light penetrating my lids into my sight. I wished I could cry, but of course I can't. I have to be strong as it all fades to black. I open my eyes and see a man in front of me he has silver hair and red eyes. blood red eyes, He scares me but he invites me. He has a sweet tongue and is whispering things he is whispering the truth, but only the parts he likes. He is a liar without a lie a sage without the knowledge a father without a child. He is the lover without a partner and is asking me to be so. I don’t know what to say, I am wearing white, but I can't see it I just know it as a fact. he is wearing black but I don’t see It I just know it as a fact. But there is someone else with red eyes, is it me, no. he stands there with the sky burning his back. His hair is bright blue. He opens his mouth and what does he say I can't understand and then I wake up.

I was in my bed in the house and as I woke up I felt something wet on my head it was a washcloth nice and damp. I took one breath in thinking about what just happen. Was I dreaming? Was it real? I didn't know. Then there was a knock on the bedroom door.
"Alice, are you up,” Valentine said sweetly as he open the door and peeked inside the room. He closed the door behind him quietly as he came in. I just layed there in the bed thinking as he came over and sat down by me.
" What just happened," i said a bit worried. He just sat there quietly and.his eyes just stared out I sat up straight and took the cloth off my head. He looked up at me and he's eyes felt so empty as he finally looked at me. I started to feel my heart race as he just stared at me. What was he looking at? Was all I was thinking and then I realized that as I looked down I was in a white nightgown. Oh no! Was all I was thinking as I looked back up at him.

"You blacked out and Damon and I are still trying to figure out what happened," he said smoothly. And then got off the bed and stood up.
"Alice, you said someone called your name before you blacked out"
" Yeah, I heard a voice and then all I saw was white all around me and ," I couldn't finish what I was saying because I saw a twinkle in his eyes once I said that I saw white all around me.

“Are you cold” he asks peering deep into my soul he is tall now and not the valentine I know. White penetrates his eyes and my insides. It stings my chest, my heart feels like it is about to break. He smiles warmly but he’s right it's cold. His eyes seem like an abyss looking into them I feel like i'm about to fall in. I know if I do I’ll keep falling and falling forever as ever. They, turn blue a cerulean blue. Like the sea letting me drift farther out I let them take me. My senses is dull I feel nothing but his eyes staring and all it means. They turn scarlet and the waves around me turn to blood they overtake me I’M DROWNING I’M DROWNING. SOMEBODY HELP MEEEE. The rain comes and pours into my mouth so I can't scream no more, I go under. Underneath its warm and inviting I want to stay but I need air. AIR!!! I go back up the water churning and I feel so cold. A hand reaches out for me I don't know if its a friend or foe but I have no choice. I grab him for dear life and he pulls me up out of the red the red the red.Once I'm out of the water I feel a chill go down my back. It's black now so black so cold. He stood there away from me far away the man that had protected me, my savior.

When I closed my eyes and opened them I found that I was in a house. I looked around the room . I was in a wooden cabin and it was warm so there had to be a fire place inside here somewhere. I step out of bed and walked to a window trying to look out so I can see where I was at. There was snow so I knew that I was still in Montana . Which I was happy that I was. I quickly grew tired of trying to figure out my surroundings.
“I see you’re trying to figure things out, let me assure you that what you are doing is simply Holmesian nonsense.”
I then jumped and turn around to see a boy that looked only a couple years older then me standing in the doorway.There was something about him that seem familiar but I couldn't figure it out and then all of the sudden I felt like vomiting.
"You don't look so well ,Alice," he said smoothly as he stood up straight and then he moved and I saw a bathroom behind him. I then ran to the bathroom and closed the door and vomited.
I then cleaned myself up and stood there looking in the mirror. I looked like I didn't slept in days and I felt sick.
"I shouldn't have party and drink because now I was paying for it. I should have never went to that party ." I said in a weak voice to myself.
Then everything came crashing down at once. I didn't know Valentine and Damon as I thought I did and now I was in this random boy's house which I don't know who he was. The police might still be looking for me and I don't even know what day it was.
"Alice, there are some medicine in the cabinet for your stomach" came the boys’ voice from the others side of the door. I then reached in the cabinet and saw some tums and took two. Just then I notice that there was a picture on the inside of the cabinet. I took the picture and stared at it. The picture was me as a little girl with my parents and a boy was standing in the cornor. I had the same picture at home but the little boy in the picture was cut out in mine for some reason. then it came to me. Is the boy in the picture the same boy on the other side of the door?
“Alice, i guessed you found the picture in the cabinet,” he said sweetly like he put it there on purpose.
I jumped to the sound of his voice and dropped the picture. This guy was freaking me out. He was way too smart for his age and looks. I then oped the door hoping that I wasn’t going to regret it.

He looked at me up and down and smiled.
“You haven’t changed a bit Alice, you are still the little sis I had.”
Was this boy crazy, like I never was told I had a brother but the picture in the cabit was real. Also if he was really my brother ,why was it a searct from me? Why was I never told that I had one?
Then I asked, “ Ok, I am going to just believe you since I dont know what to believe anymore. Theres one question that I want to know. Why was I never told about you?”

He stood there for a minute and said, “Oh,Alice because I hunt vampires and it seems you know just the two I been looking for my dear,” he said with a creppy smile.
I just stood there and thought things couldn’t get any worst then they are. I looked down and I was still in that white gown.
“ First lets get you some clothes, I had a feel you don’t like that gown your wearing by the way you are looking at it.”
I look up at him and just nood. He started to walk down the hall and so i followed him. The house was beautiful and as we walked past the living room I noticed the windows. The curtens were a redish rose color and was covering the windows complete. Leting no light pass through. All I started to wonder was why would a vampire hunter not want light in his house?