Dragons Soul | Teen Ink

Dragons Soul

By CommanderX, Cincinnati, Ohio
CommanderX, Cincinnati, Ohio

Author's note: During October of 2012 I got a copy of The Legend Of Zelda collectors edition and was intrigued by the ideas Incorporated. That led me to start this story there are some very evident instances such as the dragon's blade and the master sword. I stopped working on this piece during December through April when I started playing Final Fantasy VIII which re-inspired me and caused me to change things. One evident thing is the limit break, after some research I learned that real people can do limit breaks to a degree. I borrowed some attacked and changed them like the renzokuken and the omnislash, and I also made my own that are used from chapter nine onward. I also want to say that this is about half of what I originally planed and I will try to complete it also this is the first part of a long series that I will finish.

It has been three years since we left our home. I’m 13 and in 8th grade. I feel alone and bitter, I feel soulless. I have taken up Taekwondo out of sheer boredom and am a 9th degree black belt. I’m a master swordsman and great with a Bo staff. I can take on 100 men blindfolded and with my hands tied behind my back. I’ve been told I was as dark as my jet-black hair, and I was as fun as a rock. Than he came, he had snow-white hair that rivaled my jet-black hair. Other than that, we could be twins. Honestly, it scared me, it really scared me, and the teacher said he would be joining our class. He never said his real name, but he told everyone to call him Nathan. It was an instant rivalry between us; we had the same skills, attitude, and every thing else. Things got really intense during the regional Taekwondo tourney.

It was the finals: it was me vs. Nate. When it started, we both charged at each other, only he acted like he was after blood. I threw a spin-back hook kick, and he did the same. Every attack I did, he did, just like a mirror. We both drew our steel (we were both allowed one weapon, and we both choose sword), still like a mirror. No matter what I did, he did the same; he wasn’t just anticipating my attacks like the others. After three minutes or so I decided it was time to end it, I stuck my sword in the sky and charged my energy into my blade, and thought I had won. I was sorely wrong . He did the same. We struck at the same time and hit each other. The last thing I knew was blood was gushing from right below my heart and the same with Nate. We woke in the hospital at the same time and same place.

Three months after the tournament, we went on a field trip to who knows where. While there, we saw a sword in a pedestal that the guide called the Dragon’s blade. He also said that the dragons chosen one is the only one that can hold it or pull it out of the stone. The principle said that we could all try to pull it from its prison. Of course, everyone pushed me out of the way, so I was last. Everyone told me how they nearly broke their arms trying to retrieve it. When my turn came Nate said that I would pull it from the rock; he was right. I was able to take it to school in its sheath. The way I saw it, I had a new sword, everyone was amazed and asked if they could hold it. I said yes, but they failed, all of them. On my way home, I was surrounded by hooded men, so I drew my new blade. All they did was kneel and bow. I couldn’t believe my eyes, on their clothing they had the same dragon symbol as on my sword.I sheathed my blade and went home. They followed. When inside, I went to call the cops, but then I would have to explain things I don’t understand. So I went to confront my parents, and they explained every thing.

Millennia ago, when man first became intelligent to wild weapons, tow dragons were born. One with the power of light and fire, and one with the power of darkness and filled with evil broke out into war. The evil dragon’s body changed one day. It grew two extra heads, and nearly overpowered the light dragon. Even with all his might the dragon of light couldn’t win, although the dragon of darkness didn’t believe in asking or begging for help-only sheer power. That is where he made his mistake, for the early men’s souls were filled with evil and darkness. All but one. The light dragon saw this and pleaded for this man’s help. With their power combined, they nearly overpowered the darkness dragon. The war would have raged on forever, so the dragon of light sacrificed himself and allowed himself and the dragon of darkness to forever be sealed in a special sword made of his soul and willpower. He knew that that seal wouldn’t last forever, so he cursed the man who helped him. When the seal got weak, he would have a descendant with the DRAGON’S SOUL. The dark dragon didn’t like that plan and took advantage of men’s dark souls, and chose his own chosen one. He cursed the innocent man once again and caused him to split into two entities, one good and one pure evil one with the name lost to time. The dragons both gave their souls and transformed into swords. They were given to the two heroes; They fought to the death. Good eventually won and that hero built a temple to house the sword, although the curse still on him. I was in shock from everything I heard. My history is a legend. I never cried, before but I broke down that time. Then I heard him, Nate “Awwww maybe I should come back later to kill you”, is what he said. He drew a blade, just like the dragon blade I acquired. I looked around and saw innocent people. By impulse, I lowered my blade and he read my mind, “Lets move to a less populated area for your death, HERO.”

We moved into a rocky area filled with sharp drops and narrow ledges. I drew my blade. The steel sounded against leather and I got ready to leap and try to catch Nate off guard. Again, he was mirroring my every attack, but not anticipating them. It was almost like he could read my mind. I couldn’t get in so much as a stab with out getting the same. Although I had just reached my limit, I tried something risky, a limit break. I had to gather all my energy and push past my limits. I can’t remember anything till after my break was finished, but I noticed that there were all kinds of new marks along the rocks and my opponent was battered and bloody. Then, he started laughing. That is when I realized that he played me, making me help him reach his limits. After that, all I saw was a blur of steel. I was flung back. I was hit by fifteen lightning fast sword slashes. My vision was getting worse, and everything was fuzzy but I knew I couldn’t give up, not now not ever. Then I did something I never did before I put my full trust in something: my blade. I felt revamped and more powerful, so I took a chance. My opponent was three-hundred feet away. I had a 39 inch (3 foot, 3 inch) single edged blade so how do I hit my opponent Easy: I gathered all my chi into my blade and slashed with all my energy. Nate jumped out of the way just in time. The attack made a clean cut through the rock.

After the lucky jump, Nate disappeared, but I had a feeling it wasn’t over yet, I looked all over the area, but he was nowhere to be found. After I got home, I collapsed in my bed. It was probably a dumb move, but I didn’t care at the moment. In the morning I turned on the news, and was horrified by what I saw: footage of the fight. Thankfully with it had horrid quality, so it was impossible to tell it was me. There were live camera crews at the rocky area discussing what could do this. Now, not only did I have Nate after me, but also the media, and probably the government and the UN. I knew I had to lay low, but of course all my mom thought about was me going to school. Though she was spooked about everything that was happening, she said education came before everything. I, being me, just had to start an argument, saying that I could be ambushed, captured by the government, and dissected, or, worse, hounded by the media. Fortunately, I lost the argument and I got in the car with my family and dogs and as soon as we were a hundred feet from the house, it blew up.

We were lucky by being out of the house. It was obviously Nate. Then, I realized that the sword was still in my room, so I jumped out of the car and ran as fast as I could. I found the blade embedded in what looked like pure bedrock and diamond. Luckily, my new sword didn’t have so much as a scratch on it.

I was still forced to go to school. That is when I snapped. It was not the damage; that could be repaired, Nor the memories, as I hated that house. No, it was at school. All my wounds I gathered from the fight mixed with the ashes from what used to be my house scared my principal out of his mind. Then Nate came to taunt me, I was still pissed, so I attacked but the dragon’s blade was in my car. I was forced to go the guidance counselor, and I got least twenty mouths of anger management I was used to the guidance counselor and he was terrified of me, but I was good, or as good as I could be. As terrified of me as he was, the counselor still respected me and understood that I wasn’t a bad kid. When I refused to tell him what happened, he played dirty and called my folks. They came and explained everything. He even knew what I was as they had told him previously.

I was told that if I was good then no more anger management. On the other hand, my anger could help me during the final fight, and help me create new limit breaks. I went back to where this all started the temple. To this day, I don’t know how I found it. When there, I did everything I could think of, then everything I couldn’t think of. Finally, I replaced the blade into the pedestal and redrew it. I was sucked into my subconscious. My first thought was, “Wow my head is empty! There is nothing in here just an endless white void.” I must have been walking for what seemed like days before I sensed something, my reflexes kicked in and I must have jumped back twenty feet. When I landed, my sword was drawn and I was ready for a split-second attack. My opponent must have been six foot two at least, just a few inches taller than I am, covered in what looked like dragon scales for body armor, and a helmet that was shaped like a dragons head. “Who are you? “I yelled, but there was no answer. “Why are you here?” there was still no answer. Instead he brought his sword in a complete circle in front of his body and then he used a horizontal strike on the energy ball he made. He got a direct hit, then I got a clear look at his blade. It was the dragon’s blade. How could he have my sword when it’s right here in my hands?

Fast forward five seconds, and I was beaten and bloody and the floor. He took all of my attacks head on, including my limit break, without a scratch. He only needed one more to take me down, but I couldn’t give up. There was too much counting on me: the world, my family, even my few friends. If I lost then, then I lost for good and I couldn’t let that happen. I picked up my blade, I didn’t care if I couldn’t feel my arms I had to win. My limits had been tested. It was time to finish it. I had to put everything on the line including my life. I must control my limit break. That attack of his had pushed my body past all its limits, so I put that to good use. Right before I executed my attack, I heard something, “Your own power will do nothing without help. That attack will do nothing without the help of ones who care for you.” I never believed in all that love-always-wins-crap, but I might as well start. I tried to barrow energy from my family and friends. Then I felt like I was glowing, and I was, literally. The dragon’s soul was giving me power. I leapt forward, I raised the blade over my head and brought it down lightning fast. I followed it up with twenty lightning fast attacks. After I stabbed him and jumped up, and I rotated my sword so the blade end was down and followed with an downward sword strike from over forty feet in the air. My limit break was over, and I actually knew what happened and didn’t die. Then, my opponent spoke, “You are the one who will save us from destruction. I will train you how I was trained.”

When I was sent back from my subconscious, I went to the rocky area again, knowing that is where it would end. My opponent was already there, and ready to end it. You know that as long as you live, I will too. it is my sad fate. If he was trying to make me feel bad for him, it wasn’t working. All right, let’s get this over with, he lunged at me. My reflexes had greatly improved during my time away. He missed by a mile, and I was able to get in a good swing by spinning my body three-sixty. I missed and slashed the ground. Nate came at me from above, trying to cleave me in half, and he nearly did. I had to use all my training and faith, but I was able to make the ultimate limit break. That will destroy you too, so why are you doing it? Easy answer, there’s nothing for me here. With that, I lunged, I leapt and raised the blade over my head and brought it down lightning fast. I followed it up with twenty lightning fast attacks, after I stabbed him and jumped up and while I was in the air I rotated my sword so the blade end was down and followed with an downward sword strike from over a hundred feet in the air. This time I wasn’t done. After I brought the blade down I gave all my humanity to power up. The power I had gained was too much for a normal body. Good thing I’m not normal. I swung and connected a hundred more times and swung my sword above my head. Jumped strait up swung down like sixteen shots of pure energy. Then, he was gone. I had won, but at what cost? I was fading wasn’t I? No I wasn’t. My humanity was returning I was living. This means that my job isn’t done. I will never be done. I was the chosen, and I had a job to do.