Two Days To Colorado | Teen Ink

Two Days To Colorado

By Velrose, East troy, Wisconsin
Velrose, East Troy, Wisconsin

I am bad and that's good, I will never be good and thats not bad, theres no one I would rather be than me

It was just an average day until it all happened, there are many stories of this incident yet those aren’t as interesting as this one is. This Story is in the life of Lilith, an average twenty four year old whom was off to work as a video game designer.

“Good Morning America,it is July 22nd, sunny warm, and friday can't wait for the weekend!” The alarm clock went off blasting louder than a bomb.

“Ugh, I can't wait to get this day over with!” I say as I slam my fist on the snooze button and get ready for work.

As I got up it was as if the world around me was all on their devices, no one ever talked face to face or so it seemed. As I looked in the mirror at my dark brown hair in a side ponytail, my red sweat shirt, my glasses, and my jeans I realized how nice being a video game designer is. I dropped by a Dunkin’ Donuts on my way to work to get some coffee. There was a delay apparently one of the workers just collapsed, “Can you believe they made me late for work for this!?”, some person next to me said. I just left and went into my car leaving the stranger there.

“Their late for work I don't need to be too,” I said as if someone was really there in my car waiting for me to do the right thing and apologize.

As I got to the building there was an eery feeling about the building, unlike every other day no one was there waiting for me to talk about new ideas for a new game...it wasn't the same. I walked towards my cubicle when I found my friend, Jaden. Her head was laying on the keyboard and her hand still on the mouse “Jaden are you okay?” She turned around with her face torn apart around her hairline and skin now paler than usual with a tint of green. She groaned and fell on the floor crawling towards my feet, she grabbed my legs and tried biting me but I kicked her in the face. I ran out of the building and into my car then turned on the radio and and turned it up.

“The Zombies...They’re actually here.” the same guy from the morning said

I gasped in fear and in excitement, since I was little I had been taught by video games how to kill and destroy zombies but my first worry is about my parents. I rushed to their house, when I moved for my job as a video game designer they promised to come closer to where I lived. It never happened and because of that it is a half an hour drive. So I might as well listen to the radio with people freaking out about the zombies, they for sure won't survive. I have a good feeling about my parents being uninfected, my dad does own a shotgun so he should be fine. Then again they don't know what zombies are too well, so they will have a hard time understanding what is going on.

As I pull into the driveway I notice that all the doors are open or torn apart, that is a little strange since they don’t have a lot of neighbors nearby. I rushed out of the car like the speed of sound and run to the door.

“Mom?! Dad!? Where are you? Are you okay?” I yelled across the house.
All of these questions were answered when I went into the bedroom and found 3 dead bodies on the floor, thats definitely one to many. Along with the bodies there was a gun and a phone right by the mouth of what appeared to be my dad. I debated whether to grab it or not, and decided that I don't even know if it is loaded and there are plenty other things I can use as a weapon. As I started walking away my dad started to crawl towards me and tried to grab my ankle. Of course I kicked him in the face, yet I still felt a little sad because I can never see them again. I grabbed the shotgun and checked to see if was loaded and it was.

“Off to the streets we go!” I yelled while grinning

As I ran out to the streets of my parents house I found a guy about my age with a pokemon T-shirt, baggy jeans, and messy hair. I ran up to him and sat down next to him.
“What's the problem?” I asked while trying to get a glimpse of his face.
“My parents are dead,” he said turning his head towards me and then blushed.
“Ha ha that pretty ironic mine are too!” I explained looking towards him and blushed a little bit too.
“Oh thats cool I guess, mine name’s Zack how about you?”
“Oh my name is Lilith and Zack do I know you from somewhere?”
“Yea we used to play with each other when we were little.”
“Ohhh yea you were the kid who really liked pokemon and I really like assassins and ninjas.” I said laughing a little bit

“Nice to meet you again” he said still blushing.

“Nice to meet you again too!” I grinned.

“We should probably go, I really don't want to hang around too much by zombies,” I replied.

I helped Zack get up from the curb then we got into my car, and drove to town. When we were in the car there was no conversation at all, just breathing and the occasional look from the corner the eye.

“Looks like we're in town,” I said smiling with my eyes closed

As we got out of the car all you could see was dead bodies, cell phones, and zombies. We walked towards a bar to see if there were any supplies and I had to pee. As we walked in the bar, I forgot that Zack doesn’t have a weapon and this gun is way too loud.

“Zack, do you have a weapon with you?”

“I thought you were going to just use your gun.”

“This darn thing is so loud that it would attract an entire hoard with one shot.”

“Oh well I can check to see if there is an ax or anything else in here.”

“Good idea I’ll come with you, besides I can't pee with no one guarding the door.”

As we walked around the bar we found an ax and a bat, surprising someone left this behind when it got raided. After we picked up the weapons we headed for the bathroom, I closed the bathroom door and finally got some peace or so I thought.

“AHHHHHHH!” I screamed when I found somebody’s body in the toilet.

“What's wrong!?” Zack said as he busted through the door.

“Theres somebody in the toilet,” I replied pointing to the body

We both panicked because we didn’t know if it was a zombie or a survivor, so we left it alone until it moved. As the thing got up we saw that it was a human wearing a sleazy top that only covered her chest, a very tight pencil skirt, and wedged heels.

“What's going on? Where are my friends? Who are you people?” The toilet lady questioned us.

“The Zombie apocalypse, Probably dead, and my Name is Lilith and this is Zack.”

“Hey my names Brittany, But you can call me heaven baby.” she told us while looking at Zack.

“We should get going Zack,” I said as starting to walk away.

“I’m coming with the cutie pie sugar cake!” Brittany replied.
As we walked out of the bar we heard gunshots so of course being me, I ran towards the noise. When I got to the source of the noise I found three people on top of a truck surrounded by zombies. Zack and I started hitting zombies like there was no tomorrow, sadly my bat wasn’t very effective against them. Once we got rid of all the zombies we climbed on top off the truck with the people “Hi, my name’s Lilith, this is Zack, and that’s Brittany.” A middle aged woman with her hair in a bun with a few strands falling out covering her eye and in a business lady suit replied rudely “I’m Taylor....” A rather older man around his 60’s in a sweater vest, cargo shorts, and socks n’ sandals said “Forgive my daughter she has quite the temper, I’m Sam”. Lastly, a chunky African American male in a striped shirt, shorts, and big lace up boots said, trying to catch his breath “I'm...Tyrone.”

“We should go,” Taylor commanded while walking away.
“Same here Zack,” I said.
“Can we travel with them for a little bit?” Zack asked skittish.
“If its ok with them,” I replied looking over at Taylor.
“I don't care, just don't get in my way,” she replied rudely.
We all piled into the truck and drove back into town we slowly drove by the building to find somewhere to spend the night. As we drove by we stopped at a police department to find some guns, we ended up spending the night. We all put some blankets down so we didn't have to sleep on the cold tile floor.
“Do you know where we're heading?” Taylor asked
“No, we planned to just move around,” I replied
“Oh, well we're heading for Colorado. There’s a military base up in the mountains that the zombies cant get up to.” Taylor stated.
“Well if you're interested I can tell you my theory about the zombies,” I said trying to keep the conversation going.
“Lay it on us.” Taylor told me
“Every dead body that I looked at seemed to have some sort of electronic next to them, my co worker was on her computer, my parents had a cellphone, and the dead bodies I see on the streets have some electronics next to them if they weren't stolen or smashed by survivors. Also the day before this happened I was online and my computer said it had a virus, so I’m assuming that is what is causing it.”
“Woah,” everyone else said.
“I think I might know who did it.... My friend a Computer Programer was trying to make something when I came over the day before the incident and he was so busy that he didn’t even bath for two weeks.” Tyrone said to us all starting to curl up into a ball.
“Tyrone, it’s ok that doesn’t truly show that he did it. It’s just a possibility,” I replied
“How do you know!” he screamed to me
“Let’s go to sleep,” I said starting to lay down.

As I started to fall asleep I felt someone's body next to mine, I looked over my shoulder and I saw Zack holding my waist in a little ball.
“Zack? What are you doing?”

“Cuddling, why?”

“I was just wondering.”

In the morning everyone woke up and ate a little bit of food, except Tyrone he ate three granola bars.I don't blame him he has gone through some hard stuff, but we all have. Once we were all done eating we went in the truck and got ready to drive to Colorado.

“I call shotgun!” Tyrone yelled.

“I’m going wherever Honey pie is going,” Brittany replied starting to run toward Zack.

“Can I just ride with Lilith.” Zack said while blushing.

“May I talk to you Taylor?” I whispered over to her.

“Sure, lay it on me.”

“Have you noticed how Brittnay really isn't part of the group?”

“Yea all she ever does is scream, yell and squeal. It only attracts the zombies.”

“I was thinking we get rid of her halfway through, and see what she does.”

“I agree she is only trouble.”
We all piled into the car and waited for the engine to start,and when it did I felt a sudden sadness because I didn’t want to leave my hometown.
“It’s going to be about a 15 hour ride, so I want us all to take turns driving, by the way who can drive?” Taylor asked as she turned around to look at everyone.
“I can,” I replied
“So can I,” Zack said
“Well, we all are past the age requirement for a driver's license,” Tyrone pointed out.
“I can’t!” Brittany exclaimed while smiling cluelessly.
“Another reason why we should get rid of her,” I thought to myself.
After our little conversation we headed out and decided that we will change shifts when we get tired. I wanted to drive next so I decided to take a nap and wait to take my turn driving.
“Lilth?” Zack asked while poking my cheek.
“Zack, what do you want?” I mumbled with one eye open.
“Can I sleep on your shoulder?”
“I don't care. Whatever makes you happy, boy!” I replied while turning my body towards the window.
When I finally got situated Zack came up to me and got really close up to my face and fell asleep on me. After a while of sleeping I heard the noisy car come to a stop, I know it came to a stop because my face got slammed into the seat.
“Hey, what gives Taylor?” I asked.
“Look out the window!” Taylor yelled to me.

As I looked outside I saw a whole hoard in front of the car attracted to the headlights.
“Zack? You wanna do this?” I said.
“Yeah, I need to move around I can't sit for too long like this,” he replied.
We got out of the car and started bashing zombies like that was the only thing we knew how to do. Once we were done with killing the zombies, I switched places with Taylor and started driving. We got eight hours out of the time frame so now I need to drive for about six hours. Not much happens when I took my turn driving just a few zombies and landscapes.
“Everyone we are almost out of gas so we should pull over now and refill the tank.” I said to everyone in the car.
“I’ll get the gas, and refill,” Taylor told us all.
Once we refilled Tyrone told me he wanted to drive the rest of the way so I let him and crawled into the back seat with Zack.
“Let’s go out of the car for a minute I need to move my legs again,” he replied to me.
“No time!” Taylor said as she climbed into the car.

Once the car started up again Zack and I went back to the sleeping position we had before.

“Wait what happened to Brittany?” Tyrone asked

“Oh, she said she didn’t want to travel with us anymore and went into a car on the side of the road. I gave her some gas so she could go somewhere without getting stuck,” Taylor quickly replied.

When I woke up I found us driving into town with everyone face in shock, I looked out the window and saw the entire town full of the undead. Tyrone started to cry, Taylor started to freak out, and Sam he just sat there speechless. Taylor, Tyrone, and Sam ran out of the car and started to kill zombies left and right. Zack and I soon joined them once we saw how defenceless they were. Sam’s body then dropped and zombies fled towards him and started tearing his flesh apart. Tyrone fell and couldn’t get back up the undead soon came to him and ate him still alive. Lastly Taylor fell down, and went the same way as Sam expect he tried to fight back. That all happened within a few minutes I just stood there speechless until I remember Zack is still alive.
“Zack!? I can't find you!” I yelled
“I’m over here! HELP ME!” he screamed
I ran over to him as fast as I could , then picked him up and ran into the closest barricaded building.
“Lilth... I think I got bit,” he whispered to me
“It’s all okay,” I whispered back to him and started holding him in my arms.
“I only have a little bit of time.”
“Don't worry about it.”
“I want you to shoot me when I turn.”
“I will.”
“I Love you, Lilth”
He told me that I wanted to give him a response but I just couldn’t think about that at the same time as his death. I sat for a few minutes until I heard Zack turning in a zombie, the moaning and groaning. I waited for Zack to get closer and then I pulled the trigger, I will never get that noise out of my head. When I used my shotgun the zombies heard and started tearing down the barricade. I couldn’t bring myself to the fate that I knew was going to happen so I thought of something better.
“I would rather shoot myself than die by being eaten alive!”
Only the noise of a gunshot, and the snarling of the zombies were left....