The Code

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6

(in progress) Beatrice

Once the day is over, Kit and I go in the black van again.
“Did you shoot straight, Shay?” the chauffer asks.
“Yeah,” Kit says in my place. “She shot like me. She was excellent.”
“Good,” the chauffer replies. “Let’s go back to X-Axis.”
It’s a long drive, about 45 minutes from the shooting range. We chatter around for a few minutes and relax until we arrive at the old motel. We get out when I see Xavier, Lucas, and a handful of other people in the parking lot.
I run to Lucas, who is panting like a dog on a hot day. “Beatrice… she came… and attacked the Headquarters… Mr. Burns… he’s… dead.”
Shock fills me. The same person who warned me, who told me to shred the papers, who saved my life… Beatrice killed him. He’s dead.
Kit runs into the doors of the motel. I follow her in.
The woman who guarded the entrance to X-Axis is shot down and behind the counter. The door to X-Axis is wide open. Both of us run in.
The entire entryway is a wreck. Vases are shattered on the floor, computers are knocked over, and blood is streaked on desks. Suddenly, I see his corpse. He is slumped in a desk chair, his head resting on the computer. Kit gives a small and short squeal.
Xavier walks in. “We are going to remove the body shortly. X-Axis can no longer be here. The Headquarters will be moved to a different location.”
A few men come in with a large, black trash bag. “We’re ready,” one of them says. They take the corpse of Mr. Burns and leave.
That’s when I notice that Mr. Burns’ computer is still on…
“Wait!” I yell. I run to his computer, and sure enough, I turn on the monitor. There is a message on it.
“X! There’s a message from Mr. Burns!” I exclaim. Kit and Xavier run to the computer.

""To Shay and Kit,

""Beatrice invaded X-Axis, and a boy was with her. She was asking of your location, Shay. They knew that you were here, which is logical, since they knew you were with X-Axis, but they didn’t know where X-Axis was. Oh, right, and the boy... he had bl-"

“That’s it. He could never finish his message,” Kit says.
“Although, he left us a clue as to who the boy was,” X replies.
“What do you mean?” I ask.
Xavier shakes his head. “It’s obvious, isn’t it? He knew that you would know this boy. And by saying ‘bl’ he gave us three possibilities.”
“What possibilities are those?” I ask.
Kit nods. “I see what X is saying. Blue eyes, blond hair, or black hair.”
I don’t have a lot of friends, but none of them match that description. I shake my head. “I don’t know who that would be.”
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6