Beauty and The Beast. | Teen Ink

Beauty and The Beast.

February 20, 2013
By Amer-Nae PLATINUM, Maynard, Arkansas
More by this author
Amer-Nae PLATINUM, Maynard, Arkansas
29 articles 0 photos 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
Why try to fit in when you were born to stand out?


Author's note: I just get random ideas in my head and they sort of come together when i am writting

The author's comments:
forgive the way that i wrote the characters talking it helps me to know who is talking

I sigh and look out my window of my new room at my grandmother house. My father had told me that living with my gramma would be a good thing. That it would help me to start over. I think it was just because after mom died he couldnt deal with a teenage girl on his own. Not to mention he had thrown himself into work all the time and he was barely home.



The last time I had stayed with my gramma for more than two days was over a year ago. I had stayed with her the whole summer. The knock on my door makes me jump a little. I turn around and look at my grandmother. Her hair long and silver. Her eyes the same sad grey that my father's were. She is a small woman. About five-two and small framed. I smile gently at her.







"Just came to see how you are settling in." She smiles happily at me. I shrug.









"Alright I suppose. Dad gone?" Gramma frowns and looks around.







"Yes he's left. Ash sweetheart you shouldnt be so hard on him. He didn't wanna leave you alone all the time." I nod. I knew that already. But, that doesnt mean that I had to like it.









"I know gramma its just I wish that he would have stayed too." Gramma sits down on my new slash old bed. She sighs.







"Your Father thinks that he is doing what is right for you. And he has to work to keep his mind busy from becoming depressed." I sigh and flop down on the bed next to Gramma. She wraps an arm around me.









"I know that. But why not get help...He's making me talk to someone about what happened..With the accident and then mom..." My eyes widen and I look at gramma.







"What accident Asher?" I shake my head and look down at my hands. What was I going to tell her? That I had turned someone in stone. And I didnt even know how I did it... Tears sting my eyes.









"You wouldnt believe me if I told you." Gramma turns me slightly to look her in the eyes.







"Did you do something?" I raise my sleeves up revealing the marks that the dagger had left. Gramma hisses.









"Someone I thought I cared about did this to me...Then I turned him to stone and he exploded. I dont know how it happened But I know that I did it to him.." Tears stream down my face. Gramma grips my fingers tightly.







"Did anything else happen after that...Something that you couldnt explain?" I look up at Gramma with a stunned expression on my face.









"You believe me?" Gramma smiles gently.







"Of course I believe you darling. Your mother shared the same ability as you and many more that you are going to come into. Do you want to know the real reason that your father brought you to me?" I give her a pizzled look. What was she talking about? This was alittle weird even for me. The door bell rings. I jump alittle and Gramma laughs.







"Goodness me. I forgot that Nate and the boys were coming over to welcome you home." My heart accerates in my chest.









"NATE!?" Gramma raises an eyebrow at me.







"Yes Nate. The one that you spent all your time with last summer over at the Reservation with." Blush flames in my cheeks. I couldn't believe this! Him of all people ending up here when I needed someone the most. This is ridiculous! I'm going to vomit.







"Come along Asher." I stand slowly and follow Gramma down stairs and I stand there ackwardly as gramma opens the door. I watch as about six guys enter the house. Each of them I knew well. But some how they had all changed...THEY WERE HUGE!!! My eyes widen as I look at Nate the tallest of the guys so he was about six-three. He is very broad shouldered and muscular. His hair black as night and his eyes the most amazing vibrant forest green color. My breath catches. Nate smiles down at Gramma.





"So where's Asher?" I clear my throat and Nate's eyes fall on me. His eyes widen slightly as he takes me in.









"Hey guys. Nice to see you too." They all just stare opened mouthed at me.



"Half pint what'd you do to your hair?!" I wince. My once liquid black hair was now white like pure untouched snow white. I bite down on my lower lip.







"Don't you just love her natural hair color? Much better than that dyed black color she use to do all the time." I smile and look at my gramma. There she was coming to my rescue again. Nate glances at Gramma. He of all people had known me all of my life and my natural hair color was black.





"Looks better the natural way." My eyes winden slightly as I look at Nate. He winks at me. Which usually meant that I had some explaining to do. I huff a sigh and smile. Jared laughs and nudges Michael.



"One thing that hasnt changed about half pint is that she hasn't grown any since the last time we saw her." I punch Jared in the arm. He flinches and looks at me with a surprised expression.










"Did that hurt? I hope so you jerk!" I couldnt help but laugh.




"Same old Ash." I look around Jared at Nate's younger brother Eric. I smile broadly and throw my arms around his neck. A sob ecaspes me. I never thought that I would be so happy to see Eric. He was there the day that I left. He was the one who always kept in touch with me after I left. I talked to him all the time on my cell. Infact he was the one that I called the day that I found out that I was moving here.


That's when the real tears came and I couldn't stop them. Eric holds me tighter to him and breaths into my hair. I couldn't help it. Eric runs his fingers through my hair and gently pulls me to arms length. I wipe my eyes quickly and smile.










"I'm sorry. I don't mean to cry. It's just really good to see all of you." Eric rufles my hair and grins.




"We know how girls get emotional over little things. Isn't that what you said big brother?" A sharp pain stabs me in the heart. I knew that line all to well. He had used it on me the day before I left. I narrow my eyes at him and his eyes widen a fraction. He knew I would explode now. I was no longer upset and hurt..Now I was just furious with him.






"I dont think thats how I worded it exactly." I roll my eyes. Of course he would try and get hisself out of this. I shrug.











"Whatever it was it was in the past and things that happened in the past are to stay in the past." I stare evenly at Nate. His expression becomes hard to read but, I could see the hurt in his eyes.






"Asher I wanted to speak to you about about something in private." I raise an eyebrow at him. Al the guys fall silent and even Gramma's expression turns blank.










"Fine whatever you say Nathaniel!" Nate flinches as I use his full name. But I follow him outside. As soon as we are out of ear shot Nate turns to me.






"I would have told you to stay if I knew something was going to happen to you..." I flinch. Eric had told him about the accident. My jaw sets.










"That's the only reason that you would have told me to stay?!" Nate raises an eyebrow at me.





"What do you want me to say Asher? That I fell in love with you that summer? That I couldn't breath when you weren't around me. That even to this day that damn smile of your's makes my heart skips a beat? Or that I wanted to tell you to stay so bad that I thought about coming after you after I told you to leave."



My eyes widen as I take in Nate's words. Was this his way of telling me that he was sorry or his way of saying that he was in love with me? Either way he needed to just spit one or the other out already! I grumbled and turn to walk back to the porch when Nate's hand wraps around my wrist and turns me back to him. I gasp as both my hands land on his chest. He was still as warm as ever. I slowly lift my eyes and look up at him. He smiles gently at me.





"Ash, I needed you here then and I need you here now." Tears sting my eyes causing my vision to blur slightly.









"What if it's to late for that?" The words felt wrong coming out of my mouth but, I had to know the answer that he was going to give me. Nate reaches up and places a hand against my cheek.





"Then, I'll wait the rst of my life for you." I choke out a sob and bary my face in his shirt. Why am I crying so much?! This is so stupid! Nate sighs and wraps his arms around me protectively. I sigh. It'd been a long time since I let someone hold me the way that I was letting Nate hold me like this. I pull away and wipe my eyes quickly and look at Nate. He smiles and tugs my hair alittle.





"Care to explain what you did to your hair now?" I bite down on my bottom lip and look down at the ground.









"You wouldn't believe me if I told you." Nate snorts and tilts my head up so I am staring into his eyes.





"Try me then." I roll my eyes and inhale deeply. This was going to run him off for sure.









"When the accident happened..I died. My hair turned this aweful sliver color and my eyes faded. My body changed and for some god aweful reason the doctors have no explaintion for it." Nate nods as if considering my words. I sigh. Was he being serious right now.





"I believe you." My eyes widen. He believes me? That was easy. For a second there I thought that he was gonna call me a liar.









"You believe me?" Nate smiles broadly.





"Of course you've never had a reason to lie to me before why would you start now?" I nod. That was true I had never lied to him. I couldn't if I tried anyway. But, he didn't know that.









"Good, and don't tell the guys about it. They'll treat me like I'm all fragile and what not and that get's on my nerves more than anything..How's Ben?!" Nate gives me a stern look. I take it He and Ben got into it. Ben was one of the older boys at the Reservation that spent alot of times with me and the boys the summer that I was here.




"Let's go back inside before you start getting cold." I roll my eyes. Of course he would change the subject. I shrug and hurry into the house. Gramma was on the phone. I feel my eyebrows draw together and I glance at Eric. He smiles brightly at me.






"We are getting pizza!" I giggle. Of course he would be excited about food. Strange I felt full but I hadnt eaten anything. I shake my head. Then an arm wraps around my waist. Heat rises to my face as I look at Jared. He laughs alittle.


"So tell me Ash you been workin' out?" I roll my eyes and I turn out of Jared's reach.










"Yeah I have wanna see what I've learned?" I raise an eyebrow at Jared and smile invitingly. I take my stance. Jared raises an eyebrow at me.






"Jared I really wouldn't.." Jared throws his head back and laughs.


"Half pint no offence but I don't think you can beat me." I purse my lips. Eric steps back out of the way.










"Don't go easy on me. Because I won't go easy on you." Jared looks at Nate and Nate shrugs.




"Do as the lady asks." I laugh. Little did they know I didn't fight fair. I glance at Gramma and wink.








"Go outside! You are not ruining my house!" I could hear the amusement in her voice. We all walk outside and I glance at Michael. He is trying to hold back his laughter.






"A hundred dollars on Ash." My eyes widen slightly.








"Dude I'll take that bet. Jared's gonna pin her easyily. I press my mouth into a thin line and look at Jared. He is smiling. My clench my teeth together. I take my stance as Jared charges forward. I smile wickedly and drop to the ground and sweep my feet around knocking Jared to the ground. I giggle and stand quickly putting some distance between us. Jared pushes himself up on his elbows.


"How the hell did you do that?!" I shrug and roll my shoulders.










"Let's go Jared. Get up." It didn't take Jared long to start changing at me again. I smile and spin out of his way. Jared wasn't trying to land a blow on me. He was going to try and pin me to the ground. I smirk this was gonna be fun.


Jared Lundges for me. I side step him and let him fall to the ground face first. I burst into a laughing fit and turn to Eric. Eric is laughing too. Then his face becomes serious and he nods. I smirk and wait. Then I could feel the air swirl around me. I drop into the splits as Jared's arms come around to wrap around me. I look up and send a punch into the back of Jared's leg. He drops to one knee and shock passes over his face. I sling around and put Jared into a head lock.


Jared gasps and taps on my arm. I didn't think that I was holding him that hard. But, I let go of him anyway. Eric comes over and picks me up throwing me over his shoulder. I squeal and start laughing.







"Yes, You see this girl right here?! One of a kind! She could kick Nate's ass!" I couldn't stop laughing. Eric was just happy because he had won a hundred dollars. Eric sets me down and Jared is infront of me. I step back and stare at him.


"You said you worked out not learned how to fight." I giggle happily.









"That is a work out." Jared shakes his head.


"Anyone says anything about Ash kicking my ass. I'll kick YOUR ass." I press my lips into a thin line to keep from laughing harder. That was so much fun. I can't remember the last time that I had, had this much fun.







"Don't worry we won't tell the other guys you got your ass handed to you by a girl." That time I couldn't control my laughter it just came out. Jared turns to me anger written in his expression. His eyes flash to a brighter brown than I've ever seen. It didn't frighten me. I slowly approach him and look closely at his eyes.









"Jared your eyes.." Jared turns away quickly. I rush around and look him in the face and smile gently. I gently reach up and touch his face. His eyes flash again. But, this time it was unwillingly. I had made him do it. I smile brightly.


"What did you just do?" I bite down on my lower lip and let my hand drop my hand from Jared's face. Oh boy this was going to be hard to explain.







"Leave it be Jared. I'msure the pizzas here by now let's go eat." I look at Eric and sigh. Of course he would come to my rescue. I hurry inside and I could already smile the pizza. I grab a coke and a peice of pizza and sit down at the table. I eat slowly. I wasn't very hungry but I knew that I'd be in trouble with Gramma. I look up as Jared sits down. Jared watches me carefully as he eats. I raise an eyebrow at him and sigh heavily.










"What are you staring at?" Jared's cheeks turn pink and he looks down at the table. I roll my eyes and growl a little. This was annoying. I knew that I was going to have tell them sooner or later.










"What are you Jared?" Jared's head shoots up and he looks at me with a shocked expression.


"What are you talking about half pint?" I snort.










"Don't play dumb. I can see the light that is around you. Gold, which either means that you are a shapeshifter or a were. But considering your eyes changed the way that they did I would say that you are a were."

Jared's mouth drops open and he turns and looks at the other guys that were standing around the table. They all looked pretty shocked. I smile easily and take a drink of my coke. Eric sits down next to Jared and stares evenly at me.







"Ash what are you talking about?" I inhale a deep breath and look at Eric with a soft expression. I watch as his body begins to relax and his eyes glaze over.










"Eric I want you to tell me what you are..What you all are." My voice held a small echo to it. Eric nods.







"Each of us are a were. We take on the form of a wolf." I nod slowly and break eye contact with Eric. I watch as the glaze disappears and he shakes his head and looks around a little confused. Then hurt crosses his features and he looks at me.







"You used manipulation on me didn't you?" I bite down on my lower lip. Maybe I shouldn't have used it on Eric. After all I made a promise after I told him that I had abilities that I wouldn't use them on him. I nod my head and give him a pleading look.







"You're learning..It's alot better than it was on that one guy you told me about." My jaw clenches and I narrow my eyes at Eric. He smiles brightly and rolls his eyes at me.


"What the hell did she just do to you Eric?" Eric looks at Jared and snorts.







"Ash here is a Spirit Elemental. Her Mom the same but her real father was..a Demon." I shiver. My DAD the one that had raised me didn't know that I knew that he wasn't my real father. But I knew and I wasn't going to let him know that I did. My real father...I didn't know where he was and I could careless where he was. He never even bothered to try and find me. Or maybe he didnt care. Either way I wasn't going to waste my time trying to find him.


I glance up passed the guys and Nate was standing there. Hurt written all over his face. I stand without thinking.










"Nate-I" Nate shakes his head and walks out the back door. I follow him quickly. It had gotten dark fast here.










"Please Stop!" Nate swings around and looks down into my eyes. I refuse to cry about not telling him.






"You told Eric but you couldn't tell m?!" I flinch and whimper.










"It's not like that and you know it!" Nate throws his head back and laughs sarcasticily.






"Don't feed me tht bullshit." My heart breaks a fraction.










"What do you want me to say?! You left me behind remember?! You never called or emailed me! I thought that you didn't care! That our summer was just another nouch on your belt!" I gasp and cover my mouth. I can't believe that I had just said that out loud. Nate's expression turns into sorrow. He reaches out to touch me but thinks better of it and let his hand drop.






"Is that what you think? I didn't call because, I couldn't bring myself to. I was stupid for telling you to go. I knew that and I thought that you hated me by then.." I roll my eyes and laugh.









"You can't lie to me Nathaniel! I know you better than you know yourself! Your pride got in the way! You wanted to be this big bad tough guy But you know what you're N-" Nate grabs my face and presses his lips against mine. My heart skips a beat and my body warms. I slowly slide my arms up and lock them around his neck. I smile against his lips. Nate pulls back slightly and looks into my eyes.






"I don't wear belts by the way." I giggle uncontrolably. Of course he would try and make a joke about this. I smack him on the chest lightly.









"Oh, shut up!" Nate smiles and preses his forehead against mine. I close my eyes and inhale the scent of pine trees.






"Asher, you mean the world to me. You make everything better for me in this world. Everytime I see that damn smile of yours I feel like I can take on anything that is thrown at me." I pull away and shake my head at him.










"You're not gettin' off that easy Nathaniel." He rolls his eyes.






"I figured you were going to say something like that." I smile brightly. I shrug and look back at the house and I see the guys standing in the window watching us closely. Heat consumes my face. How long had they been standing there. A twinge of panic rises in my chest. I look around quickly and a sharp pain passes behind my eyes. I gasp and drop to my knees.


Nate bends down and lays a hand on my shoulder. I fling myself away from him and stand to my feet and face the woods.









"Show yourself!" Nate snarls and stands slightly infront of me.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.