Vampire Tales | Teen Ink

Vampire Tales

By Jace16 PLATINUM, Houston, Texas
Jace16 PLATINUM, Houston, Texas

A career is wonderful, but you can't curl up with it on a cold night.
Marilyn Monroe

Fiction is the truth inside the lie.
Stephen King
No, it's not a very good story - its author was too busy listening to other voices to listen as closely as he should have to the one coming from inside.
Stephen King

I wake in a nightmare of what used to be, you breathing on the side of me. You holding me close, I wake up to your breathe. I wake to hell. I loved you and you must've hated me. I try to move your arm from my body but you tighten your grip. I finally break away "crash", I am now on the floor with broken glass coming from my sides and my back. I can't breathe, I try to scream for help but no sound utters from between my lips. I can only see black. "Beep, Beep", I hear a sound coming from the distance. I see a shadow, it is approaching me, "Please don't kill me," I plead, "Please."

"Beep, beep," the sound just doesn't seem to stop, and the shadow is in front of me. I hear a sound, not the sound I have been hearing before. A different sound kind of like a human voice. I can't yet make out what the voice is saying, I can only understand every other word.

The voice seems to become clear, it is saying, "Desiree, wake up." I open my eyes just a dream, not a dream, a nightmare. My eyes are open fully and I can see Amber's smile, a smile of blood, seems she just ate breakfast.

"Get up, time for our first day at school as seniors." It's never a first day, I have been a senior and graduated from high school, over 350 times. In my lifetime, you may now know I am a vampire, people before this time used to call us demons, bloodsuckers, they say we eat human blood, some of us do, but my family doesn't. To eat a human, it's like eating yourself. So instead we eat cow, chicken and pig. Like humans a memory of what we once were. My name is Desiree Marie Livingston, and I was born this way, my father was a white merchant, my mother a slave.

My dad said when he first saw her, he knew that it was love. They met, they fell in love and had me. My dad said he was turned into a vampire by a witch, and my mother asked him to bite her, so they could be together forever, and they have been. They have found more children to raise like me, Amber is the one. Her dad killed her mother when she was seventeen. I went to school with her and decided she needed a family and in order to be in my family, she had to be adopted. She's been a vampire for only 102 years, she is still new at it. She is also married to my brother Mike, common name for a not so common creature. "Get up, Dessy, school time."

My thoughts lost, the door opens and Mike is in the doorway, she runs into his arms, their lips meet. I love them together like a Cinderella story. Tyler is behind him. He walks into the room, I was once in love with him. I think I am still in love with him. I love everything about him including his control. Elizabeth sneaks behind him and wraps her arms around him. I turn my head, I scream "Everybody out". No questions ask, they are all out of my room.

A knock on the door is another sound I hear. "Who is it?" I ask.
"Jaden," a voice comes from the door.
"Come in."
He opens the door, gets on the bed, and asks me, "Do you still love him?"

I almost say no but by the look in his eyes I knew he knew the truth. I get off the bed and go to my closet. He sneaks behind me and plants a kiss on my neck.

"You can still love him Desiree, but you will always be mine," he said in a whisper. I turn my face until it matches with his face perfectly and we engage in the most breathtaking kiss I have ever had. The door opens in, comes Tyler. I see him and scream. "Don't you knock." He looks at me confused and says, "I just came because mom wanted me to ask you and Jaden if you all were ready." I push Jaden away from me and say, "Just a second, I will be ready in a minute." Jaden lifts my head into a kiss and whispers on my lips "Mine".

I smile, Jaden leaves as well as Tyler but not before Tyler says, "I still dream." I remembered our first date after he was a vampire, he said, "My parents wanted me to become a farmer, but I still dream that I could be more than what they made me." Amber screams into the room, "Mom wants to know if you're ready." I close my eyes and say, "I was born ready."

I slammed down on thee bed after I was sure theat everyone was down in thee kitchen, eating.

How could I kiss Jaden? How could I theink I would do it again. Tyler hated Jaden, while Jaden loved to mess withe Tyler.

Maybe theat was all it was to Jaden, an opportunity in which he could get under Tyler's skin.

Then, why do I theink theat was thee last theing on his mind. Maybe because I am being naive. He loves to mess withe Tyler, no otheer explanation for his actions. What about my action, why was I kissing him. Why was I suddenly theinking about his lips touching mine again and again. I chumped it up to lust, yes it was just a mistake theat I would not let happen again. I loved Tyler and eitheer it comes out now or later he still loves me too.

I said to myself withe a smile on my face, he still loves me.

I grabbed my dark blue jean jacket from thee closet and headed for thee bedroom door, no doubt he still loves me.

*************************************************************

Chapter 2

A few moments later I was in thee kitchen, watching everybody eating theeir breakfast, and drinking theeir red wine, everyone theat is except Tyler. Tyler was just staring at me, as if I just stabbed him in thee heart. His eyes were so cold, I felt it freezing my heart so I looked away. My motheer put breakfast in front of me and said, "Eat up my princess."

A smile brushed across my face. After I ate, everybody grabbed theeir necklaces which allows us to be in thee sun witheout us getting burned.

Witheout thee necklaces we would be dead, we wouldn't be able to lead a normal life.

I headed to Tyler's car, but before I could get in Elizabethe got out and said, "Tyler doesn't want you riding withe us today, I hope you understand why, I hope you're not upset." I said, "Okay, I understand and I am not upset."

Truthefully I didn't understand he had beautiful Elizabethe, but he still did not want me to be happy. Did he want me to still be in love withe him when he is in love withe her. No I want to be happy, I am done withe being in love withe him. Who was I trying to prove, I can move on to him or myself. I turned to Mike 's car in which Amber was getting into.

Thoughts ran therough my mind, "Don't get into Mike's car, theey will be kissing thee whole way theere, no way. So I turned and looked at Chris's car in which Destiny got into. No, I hate theem togetheer, theey always argue withe each otheer. Before I went in thee house to grab my car keys Jaden stopped me and said, "You need a ride." I turned, smiled and shook my head, "Yes." Not even a few minutes later we were pulling out thee driveway.

Silence, no words. Just pure silence, until we pulled into thee school's parking lot. "I got a confession." He said. "What is it?" I said confused at thee sentence he used to start our conversation. "I listened to your theoughts theis morning and I would like to say I am sorry about listening in on your theoughts, but I didn't kiss you to mess withe Tyler and I would just love to kiss you again." I looked in his eyes. And just before our mouthes locked again for thee second time in less thean forty-five minutes, a knock came on thee window, it was Chris saying, "Come on before we are late."

I get out thee car as quick as I could. But before we reached thee school door Jaden grabbed my hand. I pulled away, why did I pull away from Jaden. Maybe because Tyler was looking at me withe theem same cold eyes from breakfast. And maybe because I wasn't ready. Jaden walked away from me. I sensed he had just read my theoughts again. I was about to run after him when I saw Henry. Henry was my first love, my parents killed him when he went on an eating spree killing more thean 2,000 people. How could he be alive.

Tyler walks over to me and says, "That's not him, theat's not Henry, theat's his great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great." "Okay I get it, so stop it." I say in an irritated voice, "Yea, whatever it's Henry's great-grandson to thee 40the power, Jake, so stay away from him and Jaden." I roll my eyes at Tyler's suggestion. He repeats himself raising his voice in a yell, "STAY AWAY FROM HIM." He storms away from me and Elizabethe follows suit. I didn't know which guy did he really want me to stay away from more Jake or Jaden.

I would just stay away from Tyler from now on and make a new friend with Jake. Yea, make good friends withe Jake.

A step away from Jake, the bell for first period rings and I prepare myself for the rush of all the late students going to class. Plow I am kissing the floor. I lay on the floor until everyone who is late hurry their way to their first class.

After I sense that everyone has made it to class everyone that is except me I get up, and a worried voice behind me asks, "Are you okay?" I say, "Yes," as I am dusting off my black mini skirt.

"Thank you." I say turning around to see Jake standing there. He looked like a present day version of Henry. "You're welcome, I am Jake by the way you." He extends his hand and I shake it, "Desiree." "Oh, pretty." A smile unwillingly appears on my face, I turn away and say, "I have to make it I mean go to class." "Okay, Desiree see you around." As he walks away I say, "See you around." He smiles and continues to walk towards the stairway.

I pull out my schedule and read the first line, "Mr. Anthony room 123." I walk down the hall, see the room and enter. The first person I see is Jaden talking to a girl who was smiling and twisting her hair. How could he be flirting with another girl not even an hour and a half after he kissed me. I walk over to him, tap his shoulder and whispers in his ear, "You're unbelievable." I turn to find a place to sit and I see an open seat. I walk over and sit down. Mr. Anthony turns and says, "Nice to see you made it Desiree." Confused that he knew my name. I look around the class. He then goes on with the instructions, "The person you are seating next to is your new soulmate, your other half your lifeline, get acquainted with each other, learn each other's name, take down each other's phone numbers.Oh, by the way welcome to AP Physics."

I turned and notice that I had no partner, so I raise my name. "Yes, Desiree." "I have no partner." I say. He smiles and says, "Your partner like you is running a little late." After he said that Jake runs in the class, a smile brush over my face. Jake notices me and sit down next to me. Mr. Anthony says, "Jake that is not your seat." Jake gets up and says, "Where do I sit?" He said confused. "Next to Samantha," he points next to a dark brown skinned girl with hazel eyes, long black hair and a pretty red jacket. She was very pretty I had to admit. So who was my partner. In comes a light-skinned boy, who looked like he had just came from the gym. He walks over to Mr. Anthony, and Mr. Anthony points him to the seat next to me. He sits down and says, "What's up, my name is Demarico, yours." "My name is Desiree." "Pretty name, so can I call you Des' for short." "I would much prefer you call me Desiree." "I say with a little attitude in my voice." "Oh little mama, got an attitude on her."

I rolled my eyes, and turned my attention to Jaden and whatever her name was I could care less. She handed him her phone number a minute before class ended. What a slut? Why would he flirt with that, that tramp. Why I am so upset. I am not, I am just confused at the situation. When the bell rung, for next period I grabbed my bag. Mr. Anthony stopped me and said "You own me 10 seconds for every minute you were late. So you owe me two minutes, I sit back down in my seat. Two minutes passed so slowly as Mr. Anthony was staring at me and counting the time. He said, "You can go now." I ran out the class as quick as I could, and ran all the way to the stairway. It was there, where I felt somebodies hand grab mine, I turn to see Jaden. I pull my hand away quickly and scream, "What do you want Jaden, I don't want to be late for class." Shocked he says, "Never mind, there you go snatching your hand again, I wouldn't want you to be late for class now would I."

"Jaden you have 5 seconds, so I would advice you to talk fast."
"I said never mind Desiree, go to class." He said upset and walking away.
I screamed after him, "Jaden," he doesn't turn around, "Jaden" he still doesn't.
I was about to run after him, but I looked at my watch, I just couldn't be late for my second period. So I ran up the stairs I would talk to him at lunch.

Lunch came quicker than I thought, Tyler was mad at me, Jaden wouldn't look at me, and he was eating with that girl from first period. I wanted to talk to him about what happened earlier, but I was just to scared. Jake came behind me and said, "Desiree you want to sit with me." I shook my head, "Yes." When I sit down, here comes Jaden and Tyler. Jaden walks over and whispers in my ear, "You are just unbelievable."

"Me, I am unbelievable, really Jaden you want to go there." Jaden walks away, I scream after him, "Whatever walk away." Tyler grabs my arm and yanks me towards him, "Didn't I tell you to stay away from him." I pull away. "And the last time I listened to you of all people leave me alone and go to your Elizabeth." He pulls me and says, "You will listen to me." When he said that Jake got up and said, "Tyler, I don't know you all that well, but you don't want to start your first day here grabbing on your sister like that. It can give people the wrong idea." Tyler lets me go and says, "We will finish this at home." "No, we won't." I say sitting at the table with Jake. I don't know what that feeling was, but I just didn't feel that same fire burning love for Tyler like I did before, like I did this morning. I felt warm tears starting to form in my eyes, I get up and run out of the lunch room as fast as I could. My whole world had changed in just six hours.

Breathing hard another long sleepless lingering unspeakable, breathtaking night. You want to know why, because last night was a full moon. I tried my best not to change into that animal that beast they call a werewolf, to me it's a curse. I guess it was just my animal instincts. I always tell myself that I am human. I eat human food, I can walk into the sun, I can breathe air, and I can do everything a humans is privileged to do. Only on a full moon is it that I show my true color, my true skin, my true curse.

I wasn't quite born a werewolf, instead I was born with a curse that could turn me into a werewolf if only I got mad enough. I remember the first time I changed I was seventeen, a guy and his friends were beating me and my best friend Tony up and I got so mad I changed. All of a sudden I heard a sound, a growl, a pow and then everything went black. I can't remember what happened after that. But I did know I had turned. I ended up naked in a casket in which I met Nkosazana and Brian, who allowed me into their home. They knew I were a werewolf but they didn't care. There were only four rules, rule one never pee on the carpet. Rule two, no attacking innocent bystanders on full moons. Rule three learn your weakness and strength, learn how to control yourself. The temporarily rule, was to not tell anybody that I were a werewolf not even Desiree and my other sisters and brothers here. That was almost twenty-five years ago.

Ever since then I have been living my life as a vampire. When it's not a full moon I can't eat meat raw like they do so I always eat in my room so they can't see me eat human food. They like to pretend to be human but they never will be human again. Forever in that same skin, same age as when they died.

"Get out," is the sound that breaks my thoughts. I look out of my window in the door, Mike, Amber, Elizabeth, and who else oh yeah Tyler. I hated Tyler not only because he was shady but because he was the reason why Desiree would never love me, he was the reason.

I walked out of my room door, slowly approached Desiree's room and knocked. Today was the day I was going to confess my love for her. The next sound comes from her "who is it", I proudly say Jaden. She allows me in. I open the door to see her on the bed thinking about Tyler. I sit on the bed and ask her a question that I knew would kill me, when she said yes I asked did she still love Tyler. She got off the bed and walked to her closet. She was about to say no but on her face was a way different answer, it was yes and even though she didn't say it I still felt hurt. I walked behind her, slowly wrapped my arms around her.

Everything after that was a blur all I remember was her pushing me away and my lips with a mesmerizing tingle on them. Tyler was behind me saying something she was upset, I bet we kissed. I bet she liked it. I ignored Tyler and pulled Desiree's face to mine, even though we were close enough to kiss again, I whispered on her lips "mine" a tiny smile spread on her lips. Amber screams something in the room, Tyler says something but all I could do was to think about her lips.

I was the first one out and I went into my room that is until everyone had left. I went back to Desiree's door after everyone had gone to breakfast. I was about to knock but Desiree was thinking hard about our kiss, she thought I kissed her to get under Tyler's skin. I didn't have to really do that much to get under Tyler's skin. I could tell she still loved him, but she was mine and mine only. She made a promise to herself that she would never kiss me again I laughed at that. I ran downstairs after listening to her thoughts. I bumped into Tyler, he said to me "you will never get her to love you like she loves me; I bet you can't even get her to like you. I would tell you to stay away from her but what a waste of time, in which speaking of time, I wouldn't want to give you another two seconds of it." He walked away until I said, "I would take that bet, and judging by the way she just kissed me she doesn't have that much more jumping to do before she is over you".

He turned around and said, "Stay away from her werewolf." I smiled and said, "You know well, good I would love for everyone here to know but they don't," he walked away and I said behind him, "You know I think you just wasted your time and breath but most importantly you have just wasted mine." His eye started to jump but he kept walking. I smiled, told you getting under his skin wasn't that hard.

******************************************************************************

After Tyler confronted me, about me being a werewolf. I grabbed Brian. I was outraged that Tyler knew and I just knew that Brian and Nkosazana told him they sold me out. So I said with a hint of anger in my voice, "How could y'all tell Tyler of all people who I am, a werewolf. He would use that against me, Desiree' would never like me now." Brian laughed and said, "This is about my daughter Desiree, you have been here for twenty-five years and you're still madly in love with her." What hurt the most was that Brian never denied it instead he criticized my feelings toward his daughter, the next thing I said surprised me.

"Of course I am you can't choice who you love."
"Okay Jaden my son, if that's true you can't choice that you have to tolerate."
"What does that mean Brian?"
"Jaden, that means you have to tolerate and respect Tyler's wishes."
"Brian I can't do that one of his wishes is for me to stay away from Desiree."
"Do you want everyone to know your secret, stay away from her. Jaden give her a chance to find herself and maybe she will love you for who you truly are."
The last thing I said to Brian was "Okay, I will."

I left out of the back door of the house, my car was in the garage, I pulled out to see Desiree' looking at every car, as if deciding which car to ride in. A thought rushed through my head why is she not riding with Tyler and Elizabeth like she always do? The answer not shortly followed Tyler was mad at her for kissing me. It was my fault that she wasn't riding with Tyler and Elizabeth. So I decided to get out of the car and offer her ride to school. It wouldn't kill me, I ran after her as I saw her turning to go in the house, I tapped her and asked "do you want a ride", a brief smile came to her face as she nodded yes.

In the car silence, the car ride to school still silence. What Brian said was getting to me. "Let her find herself", in the urge to ignore the silence that filled up in the car I said, "Can I tell you something, I read your thoughts this morning." She was so confused at the conversation, and where it was going. I was about to tell her but she looked so beautiful I just couldn't have her thinking of me as I thought of myself. It would kill me, if she thought that I was a beast." The rest of the conversation was irrelevant, all I know a few minutes later I was about to kiss her again for the second time in less than an hour. When we were interrupted by a knock on the window it was Chris saying, "Hurry up before we were late".

She jumped out of the car as fast as she could, she dropped her bracelet that Mike gave her in the car. So I locked up my car and chased after her. I grabbed her hand to put the bracelet in it but she snatched her hand away, "I am not ready", was all that I heard before I put the bracelet in my pocket and walked away. I was going to do like Brian told me, and I was going let Tyler ruin his own relationship with her, it was just a matter of time. Maybe in that time I would get over her, maybe in that time I would find someone like me.