The Grand Illusion: The Crimson Butcher | Teen Ink

The Grand Illusion: The Crimson Butcher

By ForLorne, Lakewood, California
ForLorne, Lakewood, California

“Who overcomes
By force, hath overcome but half his foe.”

Author's note: I had no inspiration to write this story. However, once I began penning it my brother and a few friends gave me the confidence to turn it from an ideation to a reality.

The crimson sun rose so desolately out of the mysterious horizon and into the dusky and crestfallen azure sky. The wind was my thoughts and the torrential emptiness of the ocean below was as my emotion, flowing around inside itself in purposeless hate, occasionally lashing out unexpectedly. A very sudden and windswept thought must have whistled it's way through my ear into my otherwise completely empty mind because I stopped feeling the waves of intangibly perplexing emotionless thought and instead I was left with one minutely monstrous thing of an epiphany. I had wasted every second that vengeance and skepticism escaped me during those ten torturous years since my parents had been aided so swiftly in their departure into the abysmal and endless shadows of death. What I was at this point was a direct and perfect contradiction to my former shell. I had become a slave to my desires, I was wrapped up, so neatly clad in chains of freedom. How ironic it was that I was once one who found freedom in shackles of false conviction, yet now I was a failure, imprisoned by freedom in a cage of my own design.

My elders on the force enlightened me to a harsh and frustrating reality rather early on, although they seemed to believe that the reality was neither harsh nor the realization of such timely. The enlightenment they thrust upon me was one that I didn't care to absorb, for their reality was nothing more than a slivered fragment in their enfeebled minds. I was to believe that by some ungodly coincidence that the Crimson Butcher and the man who killed my parents are not the same. The Crimson Butcher, a beast of flagrant blood-lust who kills his victims by dismantling them, piece by agonizing piece, as if they were some sort of machinery that needed routine maintenance and the man I watched do just that to my parents when I was ten, they could only ever be the same person.

When the man who supposedly killed my family was arrested and thrown so erroneously in prison, I was sure that there had been a mistake. Still, I was but a child wrapped carefully in the reality that others laid out for me and I began to resign myself to the possibility that I was not remembering what the man looked like properly, just as had been suggested to me. 'Twas not for me to say that their idea was deceitful or ignorant, all the evidence pointed towards him as the killer; lack of an alibi, a sound motive, (his research of biotechnology at the Zereshian Academy of Science had been utterly trumped by my mother's) and above all else, he had been arrested the morning after the murder, passed out in his living room, no doubt from an excessively humorous amount of alcohol, with a bloodstained stack of papers containing my mother's research.

While this was certainly effective in convincing the rest of the world of his guilt permanently, it only resided in my consciousness as a verisimilitude for an agonizing ten years. A number of months ago it had begun to bother me that the man who killed my parents looked nothing like the man who was doing the time for the crime. I had begun to search police records for another, a copycat killer or anything that seemed similar to the nightmare I witnessed and because you can't exactly type in a description of the crime and hope to get an array of perfectly specified results, it took me a good three months of swimming in an endless sea of random reports on vivisectionists until I came upon this one man, The Crimson Butcher. His name was Barry Bayle and he had narrowly outmaneuvered the legal system and was probably living it up right now, quite literally getting away with murder.

How ironic was it that the man who took away all I had ever had was the one man who gave me new purpose now in my time of horrid depression. At any rate, it seemed pointless in standing desolately on this humdrum hill overlooking such a sorrowing ocean, for the vengeance inside me spoke softly and it had become apparent that it needed this more than anything. 'Twas necessary for my miniscule fragment of sanity that I go against my elders and carry out the judgment of the Crimson Butcher. The time had come. Tonight would be the most emotionally mitigating, melancholy-abating, and the second bloodiest night of my life.

The walk from that desolate hill was one that brought with it the pain of a thousand pins and needles with every step. My nerves were killing me but there was an obvious ecstasy about it. My ebbing guilt and flowing emotion looked to the imminent amelioration that I would soon be consumed with. The night was so distant that I would not see a hint of it for at least twelve hours, yet I could taste everything about it; the pain, the frigidity, the redemption, and the urgency. The urgency!

There is a great problem I seem to always relinquish myself over to. It's name is impulse. And such an evil impulse did come over me. I knew where the Crimson Butcher lived, why could I not just do it now? There would be just as few people functioning at any effective capacity at five in the morning as there would be if I did it under the embrace of midnight. He would almost certainly be asleep right now. I could met out my punishment and be done in time for work. Well it certainly seemed like nothing would change if I did it now, except of course that I would stop hurting with every fiber and molecule of my being just a sunset sooner.

My apartment's barrenness somehow seemed at least tenfold, yet everything was in place. My tool for creating solace was there, undisturbed. A glimmering single-edged sword that I inherited when my father died, it had been awarded to him when he successfully lead an operation that took down a group of rogue military scientists. [Using science to create weapons of any kind is a serious offense in Zeresh. The government had anticipated the threat of nuclear war and had taken legislative action to prevent such a catastrophe.] It seemed so fitting now that my father's blade would be the one to dismantle the Butcher's soul like he dismantled my father.

My pot of dark roast coffee was finished and I couldn't help but laugh a little at the fact that I drank coffee simply because I enjoyed the taste. I had heard that some desperate people actually relied on this elixir to wake and function. I was no such individual. I relied on nothing other than a rather small amount of food and water. I suppose showers had become necessary and possibly perfume as well. At this time it's generally in order that I regret not having slept at all, but instead I just realized that my mind had been visiting every possible thought that didn't include a monkey with cymbals and/or killing the Crimson Butcher.

So without any further meaningless and systematically malapropos delays, I grabbed my blade and my badge and I was off. The walk to his house was a rather short one and the only thing I had time to realize along the way was that it made absolutely no sense that I had brought my badge. What was I going to do with it? “Hello Barry, I'm here with the Zereshian Police Department. Wait, don't run I'm just here to kill you slowly.” There was no situation in which my badge would come in any help at all. But for all the thought I was putting into this, I suppose there wasn't a situation in which it would hinder me either. At any rate, I was here at his modest home and my blade ached for his heart... Or his large intestine, any important internal organ would do really.

I found myself, upon a few rounds circling the building, wondering how the criminals did it. Was it ironic that I was an officer of the law, at least for the time being, yet I was failing to recall how some of the very crimes I was to regulate were even carried out. It took me another round before I realized two things; first, that I was beginning to look extremely suspicious since I didn't have my uniform, and secondly, that there was a small open window near the back of the house that I could squeeze in through if I removed the screen. It was times like these that I wished I had a more girlish frame, although I suppose that it might be possible to argue that my frame was, in fact, a scientifically girlish one. I made my way to the back of the house, almost laughing at the joy to come. The screen was easier to pry off than I had imagined and I was able to crawl into the house, balancing myself on the windowsill until I fell silently on the carpet inside the dark house.

A second before I would have surely considered his security a jape at best. However, upon looking ever so hesitantly around, I realized that this thirty foot squared room was his trash heap of a sleeping quarter. I'd have much rather landed deftly on the carpet to find myself ambushed by thousands of demons, ogres, and horrid monsters with a thirst for blood. But for some reason the knowledge that the butcher was already awake and that everything now seemed so uncertain made me an inexplicably nervous assassin.

As I walked through the doorway into the next room I couldn't help but picture how the blue room might look if it were painted crimson. The man at the coffee table facing away from me, who was previously quite invisible to me, gave an earth-shattering cough that shook my nerves much like an enraged rhinoceros in a room full of delicately pristine china. Twas rather ironic to say the very least that he had gotten some sort of unintentional preempt of a strike on my already unstable focus. However, it seemed quite a inconsequential strike when I considered and thought about how much more of an impact my counterattack would make.

It seemed an immensely quick eternity later when I reached to unsheathe my blade. It found it's way so silently from it's sheathe, lusting for his flesh, his guts, every inch of him. It wanted to slide it's razor edge over his throat 'til it swam in his blood and I swam so ecstatically in his sorrow and pain. My sword pulled itself so carelessly yet so meticulously from it's sheathe, finding it's way silently into the air, perfectly ready to come down like an unstoppable divine force and severe his head like a calamitous fissure upon the earth. My mind had reached a fever-pitch of paranoia and ravishment when my blade began to tremble ever so slightly; like a fish out of water it thirsted and could no longer bear the unimaginably dry lack of blood. From whence that climax of fearfully ecstatic anticipation came so too did a rather quietly thundering utterance when the man spoke one ghastly sentence that threw my nerves like an arrow from the strongest of bows.

“Would that you had more manners, you weren't even going to accost me.”

Although I did not make it in any small way apparent, I felt as though I would curl into a little ball and die; that surely he could not have spoken that with the intent of it falling upon my ears. But I'd learned that it never helps to pretend and so I was left with the solely harrowing option to accept the question and answer it with steel.

“Farewell”, I said shortly, as my eyelids eclipsed my vision and my sword took control, slicing through every ebullient inch of bliss-filled air as the distance between this tension and his death had begun to vanish and dissipate. And although my eyes were hiding behind lids of comfort, fear, and abysmal solitude, I felt when the end had thrust upon his skull. But my twinge of relief and delectation was overcome and shattered by the sudden realization that the sound that emanated from from the expectedly sickening impact was less mushy and far more metallic than I could have hoped to have anticipated.

My eyes jerked so despondently open and it seemed like what they were seeing was some sick, nervous manifestation of my irrational fears. My blade had clashed almost powerlessly against a sharp butcher knife that the man had parried with, still facing away from me. It seemed like it should be funny that his last second choice of weapon was a butcher knife hence, Crimson Butcher, but I was not laughing. It was now that I began to realize that his speed and power were frightening to say the least and I was feeling the full scope of the fear that my parent's must have felt. This man was a monster. Before my mind had the chance to waste anymore time thinking about helpless things and certainly before I had the opportunity to strike once more, his knife found it's gleaming way into my side.

I began to bleed crimson ribbons of sorrow as the room around me began to fade so symbolically to darkness. The onyx abyss stretched across the walls and as it all met and converged at the epicenter of my vision, I found myself thinking one profoundly random and idiotic thought: I found that shade of blue rather melancholy anyway.

This book has 1 comment.

on Oct. 2 2012 at 9:01 pm
WonTonFred1 SILVER, North Salt Lake, Utah

If you can't convince them confuse them-Harry Truman

Good job, I would have liked to no more maybe described his fear as his parents were murdered and maybe for your next book don't kill off the main character so quickly, other then that it was very descriptive and well written :D