Ancient Blood (Book 1 in the Celtic Blood Trilogy) | Teen Ink

Ancient Blood (Book 1 in the Celtic Blood Trilogy)

By nebraskagirl2178 SILVER, Cresco, Iowa
nebraskagirl2178 SILVER, Cresco, Iowa

Hope is a waking dream.~Aristotle

I walked through the gates of a large mansion, built in the 1500s. My foot hit a loose stone and triggered a booby trap. Rocks were dropped, lines were cut, and a knife flew at my shoulder. Without thinking about it, my arm flew up and grasped the hilt of the knife. I continued walking, but more carefully. The knife fell to the ground as I approached the blood-red door. I collapsed to my knees and threw my arms in the air, murmuring words I didn’t understand. The ground shook, but still I chanted. The door burst open. A voice called my name as I stood, finishing the spell. I ignored the voice, but it continued to cry my name.

“Evanna! Evanna!” A white figure appeared in the house.

“Who is it? What do you want with me?” I called.

“Wake up!”

“What?” I whispered to myself. I turned and look from side to side. When my gaze returned to the mansion, the white figure was six inches from my face, and I jumped back. The figure was female, and her dark hair flowed over her shoulders carelessly. My eyes grew wide as I realized who it was. The ground shook below me and a deep crevice opened at the foot of the stairs. I knew that if I so much as took one step back, I’d fall to my death. The ghost seemed to read my thoughts, and shoved me back. I stumbled and fell.

“Evanna, wake up!” I wondered why it kept telling me to wake up. I landed on the ground with a thud…and woke up. Mae was standing over me, her dark hair spilled over her shoulders. She put her hands on her hips. “Finally. I’ve been trying to wake you up for an hour.” I sat up and shrugged.

“Sorry. What time is it?” I asked. “And what are you doing here?” Mae never woke me up. She came over at 7:15 for breakfast, but didn’t wake up until 6:45, so there was no way she ever woke me up.

“It’s 7 o’clock. I’m here early to help you get ready for the school Halloween party.” It was then that I noticed her white skin and long flowing dress that made her look as though she was floating. She noticed me looking at the dress and pulled the hem up to reveal her secret. “Heels.” I nodded. I didn’t bother to shower because I had done so the night before.
Mae pulled three costumes out of a bag. “Ok. So, do you want to be an angel?” she held up a super short white dress that barely would’ve covered my butt with attached feathery wings and a halo headband. I made a disgusted look on my face and shook my head. “A devil?” she held up a red spandex suit that had horns and a tail. I shook my head again. “Well, I have one left. How about a vampire?” Mae held up a long V-neck dress with sleeves that pointed toward my middle finger with a long hooded cloak and the realest looking fangs I’d ever seen. I snatched the fangs and tried them on. They didn’t hurt at all.
“I like these.” I said flawlessly through the fangs. I pushed my white blond hair out of my face. “I’ll be a vampire.” With that, I slipped into the black dress which I found to be very flattering on me. It outlined my curves. Then I brushed my hair until it shined and tied the cloak around my neck. I slid on my high heeled knee length black boots and joined my family in the kitchen. I never knew my mom because she died in childbirth. My half-brother, Adam, was dressed like Optimus Prime. Dad made French toast and then Mae helped me with my makeup and fangs. We heard the bus outside and dashed out the door, thankful we had no homework yesterday so we didn’t have to carry a backpack. I flipped my hood up as I stepped on the bus. Mae slid in the seat first, and then I sat down next to her. I loved the school’s Halloween party. We hung out in the cafeteria all day to do whatever we want. Unless you had detention. When the clock struck nine, kids ages 6-11 went home. The rest of us went home at 12:30.
The bus ride was short and quiet for the most part. Then the bus stopped in front of the high school where the party was every year. At first the principals had us sit in an assembly. Mr. Anderson, the elementary and middle school principal was dressed as Jafar from Aladdin, and Miss Harris, the high school principal, was dressed as an angel. I didn’t listen to their assembly at all, and neither did Mae.
When it was over, we were directed into an enormous gym. They began playing music they thought fit the holiday. In one room, you could watch horror movies, and in another room, a huge black mirror sat. I fell asleep during Jeepers Creepers. Twelve hours passed really fast, and then the little kids went home. Mae and I fixed our makeup and hair, and then found our way to the main room. They cranked up the song Call Me When You’re Sober by Evanescence. Everyone was jumping like maniacs—except for a cloaked boy in all black. He seemed to stare at me, even though his eyes were hidden from my view. My eyelids felt heavy all of a sudden, and I decided to take a quick nap in the mirror room.
It was completely empty, except for the mirror that seemed to have an ominous glow about it. It also had a black chaise-lounge that I swear wasn’t there earlier in the day. It beckoned to me, and I slowly walked over to it against my better judgment. Something told me I needed to get as far from the sofa as possible. But I was just so tired. I made a silent promise to only take a quick nap and then get out. I barely lied down before my subconscious took over and I fell into a deeper sleep than usual.

*****

I found myself standing in front of a large red brick mansion. My black dress flowed behind me, and my hood blew off my head, revealing my white blond hair. I walked as though I was in a trance to the blood-red door and studied the silver teardrop shaped door knocker. I reached out a pale hand to use it, when the door flew open. I looked around to see who had opened the door. Everything was still.

I stepped through the entrance into a plush sitting room with deep red couches, mahogany bookshelves and a large record player in the corner. It looked polished and dusted, as though someone had lived here recently, even though I knew somehow the last resident was dead. I continued on through the house, finding more polished items and what looked like a locked dungeon door. I walked past it into a large bedroom with a blood-red four-poster bed, a mahogany wardrobe, black curtains and many rugs with red stains. A large television seemed to float above the bed. I walked further into the room, my heels clicking on the dark hardwood floor.

I sat down on the bed and studied the room. I could almost feel a presence watching me. I looked from side to side and saw nothing. Flustered, I threw my head back and lied down. Suddenly, the black curtains flew open, revealing a deep red moon and millions of silver stars. I sat up and narrowed my gaze. I thought I saw movement by the wardrobe. I looked around. When my gaze returned to the wardrobe, a hooded figure stood watching me. My fear rose as I realized that this person had been watching me. At an amazing speed, the figure ran over and stood over me.

“What is your name?” it asked. Its voice was deep and powerful. As scared as I was, no fear showed in my voice. I stood and put my hands on my hips.

“My name is Evanna McKaughan. I am from Glasgow, Scotland, but have lived in Minneapolis, Minnesota for ten years. Who are you?” I answered its question. It walked toward the window and grasped its sill, staring into the night sky. I fixed my silk dress and cautiously followed. As I got closer, I heard it mumbling something I couldn’t understand. “Hello?” I said as I reached out to touch its shoulder. It whirled around and grabbed my wrist.

“Never interrupt me!” it hissed. It was then that I realized it was a man not much older than me. “Did you say you were a McKaughan?” His voice suggested fear, maybe even shock, but complete and utter surprise.

“Yes, I most certainly did. I am sorry for interrupting you, but I would like to hear your name.” I said firmly. I crossed my arms, and he reached out to my left forearm and gave it a tight pinch. I didn’t feel anything. His hood hell off his head to reveal perfect black hair, dark red eyes, and stunning looks. He was paler than anyone I’d ever seen. I gasped in surprise, but he didn’t notice. He pinched me again and still I felt nothing. He grabbed both my arms and shook them hard. And then I woke up.

*****

I was lying on the sofa, unable to move, when Mae walked in—with the man in my dream. Mae walked over to the mirror, threw her hands in the air, and started murmuring something Latin. The surface of the mirror swirled and turned black. The man stood above me and licked his lips. Mae walked back to the door, locked it, and said, “Not now, Kane.” She walked back over and stood in front of the man. They spoke in hushed voices, every so often looking my direction, while I tried to move, to escape. Eventually, they came back to me. “Evanna, you have to come with us. Something went horribly wrong outside.” Mae told me. I looked at her suspiciously.

“Why? What happened?” I asked. I had barely gotten the words out when something smashed against the door. Mae’s face darkened behind her white makeup. I kept fighting to move.

“He’s coming. Evanna, you have to come with us. I’ll explain everything when we get there. I know you trust me.” She sighed and snapped her fingers. “Move.” I fell off the couch and landed with a thud on the cold cement.

“Ow.” I sat up and rubbed my head. “Yeah, I trust you. I don’t know about him though.” I said nodding at the man. He looked to Mae, and when she nodded, he picked me up and carried me over his shoulder like I weighed nothing. I kept hitting his back, but he didn’t drop me. The door burst open and the mysterious boy from earlier stepped in.

“Burn!” Mae shouted. The boy set fire and cried out in pain. My carrier ran me through the portal to the sitting room from my dream. We watched as Mae ran through the portal, yelling something behind her. The man set me down not so gently on a black recliner, and then went to make sure the house was empty. He was back in less than thirty seconds.

“House’s empty.” He said in a powerful voice. Then he untied his cloak and revealed a stunning face—the face from my dream. His red eyes stared at me from the couch he’d placed himself on. I let the cloak fall off my head. My blonde waves were still intact. Mae sat down on an old wicker chair. I stared at Mae. She had been my best friend for a really long time and owed me an explanation.

“Ok, what was that? Who was that boy, why’d you set him on fire, HOW did you set him on fire,” I faced the man, “who are you, why were you in my dream, what was up with the mirror—”

“Have you ever wondered why I’m nowhere to be found in summer? Why I’ve never been to a slumber party? That boy was the demon Azazel. I set him on fire so we could escape. I can do that because I’m a witch. I’ve been tracking Azazel during the night and summer because that’s when my powers are at their peak. Halloween is a day when demons and witches’ powers aren’t as strong because the Celtic rituals performed many thousand years ago are still in effect.” Mae told me. The only reason I believed her was that she’d been my best friend for as long as I can remember.

“I am Kane Cromwell. Your dream was more of a visit without actually going anywhere. Only your soul visited. The mirror could only be seen by people with magic blood. It serves as a portal for witches.” The man informed me.

“If it can only be seen by people with magic in their blood, then how come I could see it?” I asked.

“You are the reincarnation of the horse goddess, Epona. Your destiny has been written out for centuries.” Kane said.

“I’m a goddess?!” I stood up and rubbed my forehead. I had a bad habit of pacing, and I had a short temper. “How could you not tell me, Mae? I-I don’t understand.”

“Mae couldn’t tell you. The Council would punish her by death.” Kane told me. “The demons know your scent now, and the only way to throw them off track would be to kill you. But you would still be alive. Your powers would still come in on the summer solstice.”

“What are you talking--” I started.

“No! Are you crazy?” Mae protested. “That’ll get you killed for sure!”

“What do you want me to do, Maeve? It’ll have to happen eventually.” Kane sighed.

“Not now though. Wait. You can’t do it now! The changes cannot be reversed.” Mae cried. I was all sorts of confused.

“What are you two talking about? What can’t he do?” I asked. I was sick of this crap. No one hides secrets from me. Ever. Then it crossed my mind of what he might be. I didn’t dare ask, because Kane was cute, and I didn’t want him to think I’d lost my marbles back at the school.

“Nothing.” Mae looked back at Kane with a menacing scowl. “Absolutely nothing.” Then she stormed out of the room, signifying the end of the conversation.

“Hey, Evanna? Can I show you something?” Kane tapped on my bedroom door and asked. Mae had called my dad and told him I’d be staying at her grandma’s house overseas with her, and would graduate high school there. Dad was reluctant, but eventually gave in. I suspect Mae cast some sort of spell on him. Oh, well.
I still had no idea where we were. I just knew it wasn’t Minneapolis. Mae and Kane had given me this room—the one from my dream—because they thought it would be better for me to stay in a room I recognized. They stocked it with Seventeen magazines, and my TV had OnDemand, the best invention ever in my opinion. I set aside my magazine and stood up. I was wearing my most comfortable skinny jeans and a T-shirt with the Chicago Cubs logo on it. My black stiletto boots reached over my knee because I was only 5’3” and wore a nine and a half.
I quickly crossed the room and opened the door. Kane looked—different. His hair was longer, his eyes darker, his face paler. To be honest, he was scary. Kane also seemed more tired. “What do you want to show me, Kane?” I asked impatiently. I was tired.
“Come with me.” He turned and walked down the hall. Reluctantly, I followed, my heels clicking on the stone floor. The mansion reminded me of a castle, with its stone walls and floor, and the sheer size of it.
“Where are you taking me?”
“You’ll see.” He led me though about a billion other hallways until we reached a room with a lot of books. It had bookshelves reaching from the floor all the way to the ceiling wrapped around the whole room.
“You’re showing me books?” I was shocked. He interrupted my magazine for this?
“Not just any book.” Kane led me down some stairs to another book filled room and had me sit at a table while he searched for the ‘very important’ book. I thought he’d never find it, but he shocked me again. Kane returned to my table with an old leather bound book that had to be at least a thousand pages long. “First of all, do you have any idea where we are?” I don’t know why I didn’t notice the Scottish accent in his voice earlier.
“No. I just know it’s not America.” I answered his question.
“Correct. We are in Scotland! Can you guess where?” I thought about it. Let’s see: there was the clear night sky where you could see every star, the hills and forest surrounding us.
“Are we in the Highlands?” I guessed.
“Aye. This book will tell you all about Epona and the creatures of Scotland. The writer of this book died of a wildfire before he could create any more copies. Read pages 2-267, and pages 423-788. They will explain to you what magic feels like. They will also teach you what to do to survive.” Kane told me. He licked his lips.
“Ok?” I took the book and walked back to my room. Kane had acted strange in there. He’d started sweating profusely, and seemed uncomfortable in my presence. I’d barely gotten out of the room when he slammed his fists on the table. I threw on my pajamas and sat down on the bed. I was curious as to why he didn’t want me reading pages 268-422.
I started reading on page 2. The first section was titled, Creatures of the Day. It had fairies, dwarves, elves, pixies, griffins, unicorns, pegasi, dragons, and large deer. I finished that section in two hours. I didn’t understand how. The pages for that section were 2-213. I started the next section: Creatures of the Night. It had witches, trolls, orcs, werewolves, dragons—and the rest of the section had been ripped out, along with pages 268-422. That was why I couldn’t read those pages…
I decided to read the rest of the book and then go to bed. The rest of it was a hundred pages on the Celtic deities and two hundred pages on how to survive in the magical world. I’d barely closed the book and set it on the nightstand when I fell asleep, dreaming of what could’ve been on those ripped out pages.

Evanna’s getting suspicious. I thought it wouldn’t be a problem, being she’s a mortal, but I know she’s watching closer than a normal mortal. I know she saw me bang my fists on the table. I know she noticed my change in appearance. It’s not like I can help it. It’s just been so long since—never mind.
The book I gave her has an enchantment on it so that she can never forget its contents. The enchantment also allows the reader to finish the book in three hours. I had to lie about why there aren’t more copies in the world. Yes, he did die in a fire, but that wasn’t it.
Evanna will need to learn her powers before the summer solstice or my plan could fail. But there’s something in her presence, something deep and foreboding, a hidden power it seemed.
I know she saw me slam my fists down on the table. I know she suspects something. I can’t help my hunger around mortals. But there’s something deep and foreboding about her too. It makes you feel weak and powerless. Because Maeve refused to let me turn Evanna, Azazel could very easily show up on my doorstep and kill Evanna. I could envision it in my head:
Azazel knocks on the door. Evanna opens the door and grins. “Hello!” she greets. Then her smile dissipates as she realizes who he is, only to have the Blade pierce her heart. She cries out in pain as her rich blood stains the stone entrance. Then her eyes roll back into her head as the spirit of Epona is released from her cold unmoving body. I shuddered and took off for my room. I was just outside Evanna’s room when Maeve appeared in front of me and held up her hand. A blast of white hot energy blew me back.
“Kane, stop!” she hissed. Her right hand remained up as a warning. I stayed on the ground. “You need to control it. Just until she gets her abilities and becomes immortal. Because of your little stunt in the library, any dwindling trust she has in you has either vanished or decreased dramatically.”
“Do you think I can control it?” I shouted.
“Would you keep it down?” Maeve shriek-whispered. She closed her eyes and calmed down. “Evanna doesn’t know what you are yet, and we need to keep it that way.”
“I have to turn her. It’s the only way Azazel can lose her scent and the only way she won’t burn up from the powers. Epona’s never used mortals in her reincarnation before.” She lowered her hand and I saw a flash of blonde. I knew I’d been exposed and struggled to my feet. I pushed my way past Maeve and knocked on Evanna’s door.
“Evanna? I need to talk to you.” I said. I heard shuffling in the room and then the door flew open. I expected her to be traumatized or crying, not enraged and ranting. So when she slapped me, you bet I was shocked.
“Turn me into what exactly. What else are you hiding?” I opened my mouth to object, but she just held up her hand and turned her head to the side, her ponytail whipping me in the face in the process. “What else are you hiding?” She turned back to face me, her bright grey eyes piercing my soul. “I know you ripped those pages out. What are you turning me into?” Realization set in. “What are you?” I sighed and looked behind me at Maeve. She had tears in her eyes, but motioned for me to go on. I sighed and rubbed my neck.
“I’m a—” I began. Then her blood’s scent reached my nose. I stumbled back, trying to keep myself calm. “Where are you bleeding?” I fought to keep myself calm.
“I fell and scraped my knee.” She got a sly look on her face. “Why? Is that a problem?” She knew. How did she know?
“No, not at all.” I winced at my lie. Evanna crossed her arms.
“Mm-hmm. Sure. I know what you are Kane. You’re not great at hiding it.” Great. She stared at me and I knew she was waiting to hear me admit it.
“Umm…” Maeve came in and took the spotlight off of me.
“How did you know?” Maeve asked. Evanna shrugged and counted off on her fingers.
“Let’s see: his eyes are bright red, he’s freaky fast, he freaked out when he found out I was bleeding, he ripped out pages about vampires, and his entire house is blood-red.” Evanna finished. God, I do suck at hiding stuff. Then the worst: “Why are you going to turn me?”
“We have to. Otherwise Azazel could show up tomorrow and kill you. It’ll only enhance your abilities. You know, when they come in. If Azazel kills you, Epona will be trapped in the Blade of the Highlands and the demons will rule the world.” I told her.
“Does it have to be done immediately?” she asked.
“Yes!” I cried.
“No!” Maeve protested. I put my hands on my hips.
“Yes.” Back off. I told her mentally. Her eyes widened and she nodded. She disappeared as Evanna tapped her chin.
“I’ll think about it. It is my decision right?” I tilted my head to the side.
“More or less. It’s your life, but my decision.” I said.
“Why is it your decision?” Evanna said annoyed. She started pacing. Uh-oh. Evanna was getting all worked up again.
“Because it is.” I was shouting now. “You have until sundown tomorrow to decide, or I’ll decide for you.” I snarled, slammed the door, and retreated to my room. My clock said it was only three a.m., so I decided to go hunting. There was always some loser trying to kill himself in these woods. Plus one meal equaled one month, and I definitely needed to stay in control. I fled the house.

*****

Sure enough, a skinny teenager with huge taped glasses was tying a noose to hang himself. I broke a twig under my foot and made him jump. “Oh, umm…” he hid the noose behind his back. “I didn’t think anyone else was out here.” I held up my hands.
“Just out hunting.” I said.
“Cool. What do you hunt?” he asked. I could tell in his voice that he really wasn’t interested. I gave a sly smile.
“You.” I bared my fangs and got ready to pounce. He took off running. Big mistake. I caught up to him and pounced, my fangs sinking deep into his skin. His sweet blood satisfied my hunger, but only for now.
I had to find a place to dispose of his body. I found a deep hole near an old oak tree very far from my estate and buried the boy. Not a word of this would ever be spoken to Evanna, especially if I was going to turn her.
I teleported back to the mansion and lied down to sleep just in time for the sun to begin rising.

When Kane slammed the door after giving me a deadline to decide if I want to be turned, I ran to my bed and cried myself to sleep. I didn’t ask for any of this. Granted being a goddess would be awesome. I woke up to a text from Mae.
U up? She asked.
Am now. Y did you stop defending me last night? I don’t wanna be a monster! I responded.
Kane’s not a monster, u just need to get to know him better. I’m coming over. Mae texted.
Ok. Just don’t teleport. Let me shower first. I wasn’t fast enough. Mae appeared with a tray of breakfast and a brand-new white dress with silver accents. “What’s the dress for?” I wasn’t a dress person. Halloween and special occasions and that’s it. She set the tray down on my bed and sat down. I grabbed a piece of toast and a glass of milk.
“Kane told me to take you to my village to see our head wizard. The dress is a sign to witches that you are a goddess. This way you can walk through town and not get murdered.” Mae took a bite out of her bagel.
“Wow, that’s reassuring. Do you want me to do my hair goddess-style too?” I asked sarcastically. Mae laughed.
“That might help.” We both laughed.
“What time are we leaving?” I finished my milk. “I need to take a shower first.” Mae checked her watch.
“Yeah, I have a better idea.” She raised her hands in the air as her eyes rolled back in her head. “Purgari et spumam, indutus ut a dea cum vi-nigrum capillos ligatus sicut Epona scriptor ut.” She finished and conjured a tall mirror. My light blonde hair had been curled and hung loose over my shoulders. The white dress had flowing sleeves, a strapless neckline, and a floor length hem. The dress shimmered and sparkled whenever light hit it. My tan skin glowed with health. And then there was my face.
My icy eyes shone brightly behind dark eyeshadow and eyeliner; my lips were painted a deep red and my cheeks were free of freckles and clear as water. My face was blemish-free and perfect. I didn’t look at all like I usually do. “Wow,” was all I could say. Maeve beamed, pleased that I liked her magic.
“You look good.” Maeve nodded, and then hit me hard on the side of my head. I fell to the ground unconscious.

*****

I woke up to see Maeve talking to some guy. I sat up on my cot. “Hi.” I said drowsily. The pair looked at me. Mae bit her lip. The man stepped up and began speaking in a British accent.

“Welcome to Ava--” Mae cut him off and elbowed him in the gut. He looked at her and she shook her head. “Ow. Welcome to Avalon. Maeve tells me you wish to speak with Merlin, our head wizard. I am Arthur.” It was then that I noticed his robes and crown. Maeve wore a white dress similar to mine and a gold band around her head. She looked even more beautiful than usual.

“Umm… Didn’t the kingdom of Avalon collapse like six hundred years ago? I asked as I stood up. I was still in my white dress and my hair didn’t feel like it had any knots in it. Arthur furrowed his brow.

“My kingdom didn’t collapse.” Maeve glared at me.

“The girl’s imagination makes her dreams a bit strange. She hasn’t adjusted to reality yet.” Ain’t that the truth, I thought. Arthur whispered something to Maeve and left us in the stone walled room. Maeve stormed over and slapped me. “You idiot! Do you realize what you just said? You can’t tell Arthur about the future!”

“Future? What are you talking about?” I crossed my arms. She threw her arms in the air in frustration.

“Wow. There’s this new thing called common sense. Use it.” I bit my lip and thought about it. I dropped my arms in realization. “Time travel.” It was barely a whisper, but she heard me.

“Yes.” Maeve nodded her head.

“Can all witches do that?” I whispered. She gave me a guilty smile. “How then?” Maeve just shrugged.

“I’m a goddess.”

*****

Maeve’s a goddess. What? How can she be a goddess? Even worse, how could I not know? Especially since I read a book on Celtic deities and Scottish creatures. Maeve’s even the name of a goddess!
I stood in the stone walled cottage, my jaw hung open like a broken barn door. I still can’t completely digest what Maeve said, even now. She had sat down on the bed and was explaining why she had never told me, but I didn’t listen. I wasn’t sure if I was angry or sad. She didn’t have a problem telling me I was a goddess, yet she couldn’t tell me she was one? I felt a sharp pain in my chest and sank to the floor, unable to stop myself. Maeve called my name, but I couldn’t respond.
Maeve came over to me and waved a hand in my face. When I didn’t move, I vaguely heard her call for Merlin. She sounded frantic, almost as if I was dying. An old man came in hurriedly. He knelt by my side and began unrolling a ball of linen. He placed the bundle over my heart as my eyes watched the blood quickly absorb. The last thing I saw was a pair of bright green eyes before I fell into darkness.

I walked for what seemed like a thousand lifetimes. The blackness somehow made me feel claustrophobic, and I wondered if I was dead. It was so dark, I couldn’t see my own hand in front of my face.

My footsteps echoed on the ground, giving the impression the ground was stone and I was in a confined room. I didn’t like it. I shivered and clutched my arms. I kept walking and saw a light in the distance. Smiling, I began running toward the small light. It seemed to come to me before I even got halfway there and grew larger as I sprinted toward it. The light disappeared and left me bathed in darkness. Then I saw my shadow and knew it was behind me.

“Miss McKaughan.” I turned and saw a blonde haired woman in a white dress just like mine. She looked just like me, especially with her icy eyes. The light swirled around her as she floated a few feet off the ground. She conjured a small mirror and handed it to me. I took and gave her a funny look before gazing into it. I gasped in horror.

“My-my face! Wh-What happened?” I cried. My face was as pale as a ghost and my beautiful blonde curls were straight and black. My white dress’s bloody stain disappeared as the fabric turned silver with my eyes. I looked up at the woman. “Who are you?” I whispered.

“I am Epona, goddess of ho and fire.” She said proudly. I pretended to look amazed. She didn’t buy it. “I am your mother, Elle.” My eyes grew wide.

“But I thought—”

“I died in childbirth? Please. Dave and I decided that would be the story he told you whenever you asked where I was.” She held out her arms. “Until now. You are ready to take on my spirit.” Elle reached out to touch my shoulder. When her hand tapped my shoulder, she howled in pain. She cradled her arm as if it was a baby. She furrowed her brow. “Morrigan!” A laugh erupted behind me. I turned and saw a woman with black hair in a black dress and a raven feather cloak. “How dare you claim my daughter!” Elle screeched.

“I talked to the Fates, and they told me to.” Morrigan said calmly. “And as of yesterday, she lives in my domain. Not yours.” Elle expanded the light so that it enveloped all of us. Morrigan shielded her eyes. “Could you turn that off? Not all of us live in the sun you know.”

“You’ll live.” Elle smirked then furrowed her brow. “Wait, what do mean she lives in your domain? I can understand the Fates. Sort of.”

“Guys?” I cut in. They took no notice of me and continued their strange conversation. I stepped back a few steps into the darkness. It was then I noticed Morrigan’s eyes. She had silver eyes hiding under her jet black hair. Her pupils were smaller than they should’ve been. When she opened her mouth, I gasped in shock, but they ignored me. Morrigan’s face darkened.

“She was shot by a magic arrow. I spoke to Maeve. She didn’t see who shot her, just that Evanna collapsed and her chest was bleeding. Maeve doesn’t know Evanna’s dead.” Morrigan said. I gasped at that last statement. I was dead? “Macha and I are working to find out who killed her.” Elle fell to the ground sobbing. As if on cue, a red haired girl in a brown dress appeared behind me. Morrigan clapped her hands in delight. “Ah, Macha! So glad you could join us. I was just telling Epona about Miss McKaughan’s unfortunate predicament. Have you discovered anything?”

Macha gave me a look of sadness, then looked back at the weeping goddess. “Morgan le Fay killed her.” Morrigan groaned and Elle wept louder.
“I always hated her.” Morrigan said. Macha rolled her eyes and turned her attention back to Elle. “There is a way you can rescue Evanna.” Elle jerked her head up.

“How?”

“I can cast a spell to bring her back during daylight because she’s a double reincarnation.” She turned to me as Elle’s face lit up. “At sunrise you will come back to life, at sunset you will be dead once more.”

Macha told me. I could tell in her voice that she wasn’t entirely certain. Macha led me past the goddesses into a large white pentacle. Seeing my astonished face, Macha handed me a handful of white candles and said, “What? You’ve never seen a witch’s circle before? Put these candles at each of the five points while I surround the rest of this circle.” I did as I was told, and then sat on my knees in the middle of the pentacle. I heard Elle and Morrigan walk up behind me. I turned my head to the side and saw that they each wore hoods and stood in the star points behind me. I turned back and saw Macha in a hood standing in the point in front of me. She raised her hands. “Candles ignite!” the candles all ignited, but Macha’s hands remained up. “Evanna McKaughan, your family has been closely watched for millennia. As goddesses, we always knew that one day a woman would be born to one of our own. That day has long since come, and it is time for you to take on the spirit of your mother and the spirit of the Phantom Queen, Morrigan.” Macha spoke in a deep, powerful voice. She closed her eyes. “Morrigan, Epona, do you wish Evanna your powers?” the goddesses nodded their heads simultaneously. “Evanna, do you wish to accept your destiny and use your abilities for good and good only?” I wasn’t sure whether to speak or nod. I chose to follow the goddesses and nodded. Macha smiled.
“Goddesses step up to the center.” They did as they were told. “Link arms and say the Oath of Eternity.” Macha commanded. A strange sensation washed over me and I found myself speaking in a strange language I didn’t understand. When the Oath was done, Macha drew a glowing Celtic design in the air with her finger and flicked it at us with her hand. “May you forever be one.” I felt a wind pass over me and I passed out unconscious.

“Evanna? I think she’s waking up!” Maeve screamed. I could just barely make out her mangled hair and the bags under her eyes. My room was tiny. There was only my cot and a small table. My eyes opened wide and I saw the sun just starting to rise on the horizon. At sunrise you will come back to life. I remembered. I jerked up on my cot.

“I need to speak to Merlin.” It was barely a whisper but a voice to my right answered. I didn’t even notice he was here.

“I’m here.” Merlin said. His beard was white and matted, and his face was wrinkled and aged. “I’m guessing Macha succeeded?” Maeve changed her attention to Merlin.

“What? When did Macha speak to Evanna? What did she do?” Maeve said all in one breath. Merlin opened his mouth to say something, but I cut him off.

“She just told me more about being a goddess.” Maeve rolled her eyes.

“I could’ve told you that. Now back to the important things.” Maeve directed the subject at Merlin.

“Yes, yes of course. Do you know how long you’ve been unconscious?” Merlin asked. I noticed the extra emphasis on the word unconscious and took the hint.

“No, I don’t know how long I’ve been unconscious.” I answered. I truly didn’t. It seemed like I’d been with the goddesses for half an hour.

“Seven and a half months. Long enough for Azazel to locate the Blade of Eternal Capture and start hunting you down.” Maeve crossed her arms and huffed. Merlin patted her on the back.

“Azazel killed Maeve’s parents.” He explained. “I’m guessing you’ll be training her?”

“I figured you’d train her a little before we returned.” Maeve said simply. Merlin grinned and nodded.

“Excellent. Well if you’ll please leave us…” Merlin motioned at the door.

“Of course.” Maeve curtsied and left us alone. Merlin rolled his eyes.

“Maeve, get away from the door.” I heard shuffling just outside.

“How did you--?” I started. Merlin held up a pale wrinkled hand. With his other hand, he snapped his fingers and we appeared in a clearing. I was wearing a new silver dress that rose higher on the hem in front than in back. It had a criss-cross neckline. Merlin conjured a mirror. My hair was blonde and my eyes were bright blue.

“Do you understand your death?” Merlin paced around me. I thought about it.

“Yes. Morgan le Fay cast a spell on me and killed me.”

“Correct.” Merlin nodded grimly.

“Then why am I here?” I spit out. Merlin quit pacing and looked me.

“Soon. Now we must begin your training. I do not want Maeve training you. Understood?” Merlin asked.

“Then why would you ask her if she was training me?” I was so confused. I vowed that once I woke up I’d take myself to the mental institution.

“There is no waking up from this life.” Merlin whispered. I furrowed my brow.

“How did you—”

“I heard you. That’s the first thing we’ll work on. If you think about yourself, any magical beings nearby can hear. Think of yourself in the third person until we can set up a mental barrier. Try it.” I tried to think of myself in the third person. I will take Evanna to a mental institution. I thought.

“I heard you.” Merlin said again. We continued trying for what seemed like hours. The sun was low in the sky when he finally signaled for me to stop. I sat down on the soft grass. It seemed softer than the grass from 2011. I picked a wildflower from the rich soil and tucked it behind my ear. Merlin handed me a small loaf of bread and some dried meat. “That didn’t work as well as it did with Maeve.” He said.

“You trained Maeve?” I was filled with curiosity now.

“Yes. She was a natural at this. I started training her as a ten year-old so that might be part of it. Her father was a wizard. Her mom was, of course, Maeve. I told her to never tell anyone other than another goddess’s child she was Maeve’s kid. At thirteen, Maeve (the goddess) decided that her daughter was ready for her spirit. I was planning on training you when I trained Maeve but Epona wouldn’t let me.”

“What do you mean ‘you were going to train me when you trained Maeve’? Why wouldn’t Epona let you?”

“That is for you to figure out. Your mother wanted to keep you under the radar.” I felt my face pale and my hands grow cold. I looked up at the sky the moon was just raising on the horizon.
“Ah, sunset! The fun part of your training.” Merlin scrambled to his feet. I stood slowly. He clapped his hands and a mirror hovered in front me. I gasped in surprise. My hair was black with light blonde streaking the front. It was straight and reached past my bum. My right eye slowly lightened to a bright silver. I looked scary and menacing, yet downright beautiful. I was literally drop-dead gorgeous.

“So this is what you look like at sunrise and sunset! I’ll admit I was a bit curious. No one’s ever seen a double goddess.” Merlin clapped his hands together in delight. “Pretty during the day and beautiful otherwise.” Pretty? Since when was I pretty? “You’ll only look like this for a half hour. When the sun disappears, we’ll see what happens. But we better get busy since this is your most powerful state.” Merlin hurried over to the middle of the clearing. He produced an apple and set it on his head. “Just concentrate on your death and fire at the apple!” He called to me. I held up my right arm, unsure of what to do.

“Are you sure?” I didn’t trust myself. What if I killed him?

“I’ll be fine. The power should come naturally.” He gave me a thumbs up. I sighed and closed my eyes. I felt a sudden burst of power and concentrated. I can’t describe the feeling. It was worse than a shot, but better than chocolate. I felt death and decay, but then I also felt peace and well-being. I held up my right arm and opened my eyes as a white beam protruded from my hand. I concentrated on the apple. When the beam made contact, it exploded all around us. I stumbled and was sure I’d killed him.

“Merlin?” I called. No response. The smoke cleared and I saw Merlin protected by a silver lining. His eyes were wide from shock—or maybe it was fear. Either way, I was relieved. The silver lining broke as I fell to the ground, watching the final rays of light disappear in the night. When darkness finally swallowed up the last bit of sun, I felt cold. I felt like something was eating my insides. I felt alone.

“Evanna? What was that? That beam should’ve killed me.” Merlin asked. I rocked back and forth hugging my knees. He felt my head. “You should be dead.” I looked at him.

“What do you mean? I thought—”

“—Macha brought you back to life for good? Please. You were supposed to die completely at night.” Well that’s happy news, I thought. “You’re only half dead.” I stood quickly.

“What?”

“We’ll talk about this later. Now we need to see what your nighttime abilities are.”
“How do you propose we do that?” I asked. Merlin grinned, produced a long silver sword, and handed it to me.
“Hunting.”

Merlin led me through the dense woods. My sword kept clanging on trees, and he kept telling me to hush. Why did he give me a sword anyway? I’d never swung one in my life. If I had powers, couldn’t I use those to hunt?
“You have swung one in your life and no you can’t. Not until you learn to completely control it. Set up your mental barrier or think in the third person.” Merlin hissed. Crap. We hiked in silence, the only noise being an owl’s hooting. Finally, the owl drove me insane.
“Can we hunt that stupid bird?” I hissed. Merlin whirled on me.
“How dare you insult Blodeuwedd!” When I gave him a blank look, he pointed at the owl. “Blodeuwedd’s the owl. She’s a goddess.” I fell back in my shoes.
“Oh. I didn’t—” I started. Merlin sighed and kept walking. I followed him at a distance, my shoes not making a sound on the soft May ground. Something had been bugging me for a while, and I knew I had to ask him. “Why does Kane have to turn me?” Merlin whirled around.
“Kane? How do you know him?”
“He and Maeve rescued me from Azazel at my Halloween dance.” I responded. I half expected him to ask what Halloween was. His eyes glazed over and her stared behind me with worry.
“He’s tricked her.” He whispered. Merlin blinked and looked back at me. “Evanna May McKaughan, you mustn’t trust him! Anything, everything he says is a lie. Warn Maeve. I don’t think she understands the consequences of befriending him.” I saw a red pair of eyes behind him. They seemed to stare into my soul and looked furious. The eyes vanished and I breathed out, realizing I’d been holding my breath. I looked back to Merlin, who, with hands on hips, clearly wanted a reply. I forced a smile.
“Of course Merlin.” He nodded and continued on the path. I followed, catching one last glimpse of the glowing red eyes.

*****

“Evanna! Let me in!” Maeve called from the other side of the door. After Merlin poofed me back to the room I woke up in, I laid down to take a nap. Maeve just happened to show up as my head hit the pillow. “Evanna! Merlin sent me!” Figures.
I swung my legs over the bed and rubbed my eyes. Why was I so tired now when I was extremely energetic ten minutes ago? I shuffled over and swung the door open. “What?” I said impatiently. Maeve squeezed past me into the dark room. She lit a candle on the wall and took it down to put in a brass candle holder. I sat down on a plush armchair while she ran around lighting candles. She finally sat down in front of me, still holding that first candle.
“So? How was training?” she asked. I opened my mouth to answer, but she cut me off. “I kept looking for something to do, but there’s really nothing here. Oh, and we’re leaving tomorrow. Arthur’s been looking for you. I think Merlin asked him to meet with you. Why’s your hair like that? Did you die it? Your eyes are different too. Did you pale? I think—” I clamped my hand over her mouth. She kept talking into my hand. I rolled my eyes and yawned.
“Maeve!” I hissed. She shut up and I removed my hand. “Why does King Arthur want to meet with me?”
“Beats me.” She shrugged. “How was training?”
I closed my eyes and recalled the session. “Well, I can’t create a mental barrier, I almost killed myself and Merlin…”
“Wait, what?” Maeve said. I grinned. “Why couldn’t you create a barrier? That’s the easiest task!” my smile dissipated.
“Wow Maeve, thanks for your concern of my life.” I said sarcastically. She laughed.
“Evanna, that happens all the time. A large number of reincarnated gods die from training.”
“Whatever. Can I go back to bed?” I asked desperately. I was about to pass out.
“Well, I guess.” Maeve gave me a sly look. She stood up and blew out the fire with her overly red lips. She strode out the door, closing it quietly behind her. I slid under the covers and spent the rest of the night trying to fall asleep.

*****

“Evanna! Let me in!” Maeve called. Talk about deja-vu. I opened my eyes in aggravation and looked to my bedside table before I remembered we were in the 1200s and they didn’t have alarm clocks. I then looked out the window to see the moon in the sky. I groaned and got up to open the door. Why did she have to wake me up at four in the morning? It’s not like Arthur wanted to see me in an hour or two was it? That sounded a little extreme to me. I swung open the door to see Maeve in a new flowing red gown. Her brown hair spilled over her shoulders elegantly and her icy blue eyes were outlined with black. She rushed past me. I noted her shortened height.
“You haven’t started packing yet?” she asked incredulously. She clapped her hands. Wind filled the room and blew my hair back. The room was instantly cleaned. “Done. Now you try to use your powers to makeover yourself. It’s really easy. Just imagine yourself in the outfit, makeup, and hairdo you want to wear. In the third person, since you can’t set up your mental barrier.” Mae instructed. I closed my eyes and imagined myself—in the third person—in boot cut jeans, knee high boots, and a fashion top from Candie’s. I opened my eyes and looked in the mirror. It worked.
“Nice.” Mae said happily. “Unfortunately, an outfit like that would be frowned upon here. Try something else.” I rolled my eyes and imagined myself in a flowing blue gown with a blue headband. Before I could even open my eyes, Mae started laughing. My eyes flew open.
“What?”
“You look like Cinderella!” Mae shrieked. She fell to the ground clutching her side. I closed my eyes and imagined a silver empire dress with a straight skirt that reached the ground. I imagined my hair curled and put up in a ponytail. The laughing stopped and I grinned. I opened my eyes.
“Oh. My. God.” Maeve said astonished. “Your hair. It has blonde in it. And your eyes. One of them is blue!” She took some steps back. “What’s happening to you Evanna. I’ve been friends with you for over five years, and I’ve never seen you like this.” I opened my mouth to answer before remembering what Merlin said. Oh, who cares what he says. I thought.
“At night I’m dead, have black hair and silver eyes, and have Morrigan’s powers. Daytime, I’m very alive, blonde, blue-eyed and have Mom’s powers. Sunset and sunrise I’m mixed.” I explained. Mae nodded and bit her lip.
“I see. Well, we need to go. Arthur will be expecting us in five minutes.” Mae turned and walked through the door. I can’t believe Evanna got the changing hair. Sooo not fair. I heard her think. I smiled to myself. Someone forgot to set up her mental barrier. I followed her down the hall into an enormous room with stone bricked walls. Tapestries hung on the wall and from the ceiling and to my left sat an enormous gold throne.
“A castle? We’ve been in a castle this whole time?” I said. Mae shrugged and gave me a sly smile.
“Not just any castle.” Mae said. Then I thought she meant King Arthur’s castle. I know now how very wrong I was. “C’mon. We’re going to be late.” She pulled on my arm and we ran through a few more halls before Maeve stopped in front of a huge door. She checked to make sure I was behind her before tapping lightly on the door.
“Come in.” a low voice said. Maeve opened the door and let me in before closing it again. I whirled around and silently cursed her for leaving me alone here. I turned back to face the same man who spoke to Maeve when I first woke up in this century. He seemed bigger and handsomer now, especially when he wore a plain tunic. “Hello Evanna.” He bowed.
“Arthur.” I forced a smile and curtsied to the best of my ability. He looked up at me.
“Only two people have ever called me Arthur.” He pulled me into a tight hug. When he released me, his eyes were tearing up. “Come, come. We have much to talk about.” Arthur led me to a plush sofa and I realized we were in a huge library. He caught me looking at the extensive walls of books. “It’s magnificent, isn’t it?” He got up, retrieved a new leather bound book, and handed it to me. “Are you familiar with this book?” I flipped through it. I was amazed. I never thought I’d see this book look so new.
“Yes. Kane Cromwell lent me this book to learn about the magical world.” I answered. He looked at me with concern.
“Kane? How did the stable boy give you my book?” Arthur asked. I opened my mouth to answer, but he stopped me. “No, no, no. I don’t want to know. Okay. Based on your hair and eye, I take it you’ve already met your mother and godmother?” I nodded. I had figured Morrigan was my godmother. “Excellent. Do you know who your father is?” I nodded.
“Dave McKaughan.” He shook his head.
“No. He is your adopted father.” Arthur corrected. He walked over to an oak table and picked up an apple.
“Then who is my real father?” I asked. Even though he faced away from me, I knew he grinned. In one motion, he whirled around and threw the apple high in the air. Instinctively, I flew in the air and blasted it with a beam of white. The apple’s ashes fell to the ground, and I looked around with terror. “Umm, how do I get down?” I asked him.
“Same way you got up.” I rolled my eyes and focused. I felt myself descend and relaxed. When I felt my feet hit the ground, I opened my eyes. Arthur clapped his hands. “Impressive.” I fell back on the sofa.
“Now you’re stalling.” I rubbed my forehead. Arthur sat down next to me.
“Ah, you want to know who your father is.” I nodded. “Well, I don’t know how much Merlin told you.” I turned to look at him.
“You know Merlin?”
“Oh, yeah. We go way back. Anyway, I don’t know how much he told you. Do you want the shortened version or the long one?” I narrowed my eyes.
“You pick.”
“Short version it is. By the way you’re back to blonde and blue.” I pulled a long strand of my hair in front of me so I could see it. I held it up to where from my point of view, it matched Arthur’s hair. I dropped the strand. “Seventeen years ago, I met Epona in the woods while she was taming wild horses. We courted for a while before she had to leave. I was crushed. I only had Merlin to keep me company and let’s face it, the man doesn’t have a fun bone in him.
“I took petitions from my citizens for months before my new wife Guinevere woke me up on rainy night because there was a baby girl on the castle doorstep. The baby was kept a secret for six years. On the girl’s sixth birthday, she got a letter from Epona.” Arthur pulled a yellowed piece of paper out of his pocket and handed it to me. It read:
Dearest Evanna May Pendragon,
I regret leaving your father alone all these years with that horrible Guinevere. If it was up to me, you’d both live with me. But it’s forbidden. This is all probably too much for you. Finding out your true father, your true identity. By the way your birthday is not really July 28, 1995, it’s June 20, 1255. So in a way, you’re 800 years old. Maeve is just one day younger than you.
I realize that you are seventeen here and have met me. But there is something you need to know about your powers that I probably didn’t tell you about. Whenever you heal someone or something, a piece of you dies. Be careful.
Your loving mother,
Epona
I finished reading and looked up at Arthur. “I’ve never read it.” He said. “I thought it would be breaching your privacy.” My hands trembled as I stared into his eyes. I couldn’t tell what emotion I was feeling.
“You?” I whispered. Arthur nodded. “How old were you?”
“Eighteen.” He said it as though it was just an ordinary deal.
“Why can’t I remember any of it if I was thirteen when she put me in the 21st century?” I asked. Arthur shrugged.
“I can answer that about as well as you can, Evanna.” I felt teary all of the sudden. He pulled me closer and I found myself crying in his arms. I have a father. A real one. I thought. It was then I realized I’d finally gotten my mental barrier.

Maeve took Evanna to Camelot with no questions asked. Hmm… and I thought they’d be difficult. Merlin will train Evanna so her powers will be ready when I need to use her. In the meantime, I waited in my chambers for him. I made a mistake in my last meal. That nerd weakened me. I needed someone powerful, someone who could replenish and even increase my strength. Let’s see, there was Seth my angelic cousin. No, he’d really weaken me. There was also Austin. He might work. I’d just need to dispose of his family first.
“Kane.” A snake-like voice said. I turned on my heel and saw a dark man with flaming red eyes.
“Azazel.” I greeted. He’d work too. Except I had a better plan for him.
“Why did you send for me?” he asked. For a demon, he sure got to the point quickly.
“I need you to go to the year 1242. Go to the same time or before Evanna and the wench got there. Find Morgan le Fay and give her this.” I handed him a small envelope. “Tell her she needs to kill Evanna but to do it incognito. Now go.” Azazel bowed and vanished. That went well. Now we just wait. I thought.
I went over to the window and opened it to smell the overly sweet smell of someone bleeding to death in the woods. Based on the quantity, I guessed it was a big person. I ran out the door and followed my nose to an obvious steroid user. Still he was big and would crush me if I was the weak stable boy I once was. I thought about turning him to work for me. He saw me and tried to ask for help but the words were caught in his throat. It looked like something had stabbed him in the gut. I let my eyes blacken before sinking my fangs into his muscular neck.
His blood tasted as good as chocolate. I made sure to make it messy just to scare the guy. His screams pierced my ears but still I drank. I left just enough blood for me to turn him. When I stood back up, the moonlight illuminated my face so that he could see his blood coating my face and my ebony eyes. I smiled evilly, showing my white teeth with his blood trickling onto my lips.
“What are you?” he whispered. I tilted my head to the side as he reached his hand up to feel the small punctures on his neck. He paled when he found them. “What do you want from me?”
“One thing. I will not kill you if you agree to work for me. Don’t even think about contacting the police afterwards though. That will be your death.” I licked my lips.
“What kind of work?” he asked.
“You will be my main food supplier.”
“And what if I say no?” he glared at me. I laughed.
“What is your name?” I asked him.
“Zack Lee Watson.” He said angrily.
“Well, Zack,” I spat. “I don’t take kindly to ‘no’. This isn’t a matter of choice. You will be my main food supplier.” With that, I hoisted him on my shoulder flashed to my mansion’s basement. I dropped him to the ground and unlocked a large steel vault. Inside sat around fifty women I’d drunk from. Only those with the richest blood would get to go to the Vault. Zack gasped in horror at the sight. I shoved him in and closed the door. Maybe I could avoid late night feedings in the woods now.
Zack would stay with me for a long time, whether he liked it or not. I wiped the blood off my face with my hand and licked it. Mmm. Delicious. I ran upstairs and took my bloodied shirt off. I put a new white button down on and looked in the mirror. For centuries people had called me handsome. With my red eyes, shaggy black hair, and mysterious personality, you would think people would be terrified. I felt something appear in the room.
“Well?” I said impatiently.
“Morgan killed her.” Azazel said plainly. I smiled.
“Excellent.”
“But she’s still walking.” I whirled around and ran over to him.
“What do you mean ‘she’s still walking’? I needed her dead. Not undead.” I narrowed my eyes. Azazel shrank down a bit in his personality. I sat down on my plush couch and rubbed my forehead and eyes.
“I’m sorry, Master. Morgan used a magic arrow.” I stopped and looked at him.
“A magic arrow?” I felt the anger rise inside me. Azazel nodded. I backhanded him across the face.
“Idiot! You were to retrieve the Blade of the Highlands months ago to kill her with.”
“I did get it. I wasn’t aware you needed it used now.” Azazel growled. “And anyway, aren’t you the one who knew her as a child? Wouldn’t it make more sense for you to kill her? Being she was the princess and you were her pathetic servant?”
“Watch it.” I warned.
“And why do I work for you? I have the whole underworld at my disposal.” Azazel continued. I lunged at him and broke the glass coffee table. I had him pinned to the ground for about five seconds before he reached his hands up and grabbed my throat. He rolled on top of me and started slamming my head in to the shards of glass on the floor. I bit his hand and felt the rich blood flow into my mouth. My mind fogged up. I need more. I thought so he could hear me. My eyes went black. I threw him across the room to an old chest. His nose got most of the impact. I heard it snap and smelled his blood trickle down. He screamed in agony. I flew over and landed on top of him. I bared my fangs.
“Give me one good reason not to kill you.” I said my voice suddenly much deeper and more threatening. I felt his pathetic heart beat faster.
“Because you need me. I have information that could end the world if it got in the wrong hands. Something that would make you a million times as powerful.” He said weakly. I fought the urge to sink my teeth in to his already bleeding body. I lifted him up by his neck and slammed him into my dresser.
“Like what?” I licked my lips. If he didn’t hurry this along, it’d be his funeral.
“I spied on her and Merlin in the woods at night. Her hair was long—really long—and her eyes were silver. I have reason to believe both Epona and Morrigan’s spirits inhabit her. If I stab her with the Blade, the two goddesses will die and so will she.” I thought about it and dropped him. He fell to the ground coughing.
“Agreed. But if you should fail,” I held his chin up and looked into his weak red eyes, “I will kill you.” Azazel nodded in fear and disappeared, leaving me alone. After a while, I decided I’d pay the Vault a visit. Azazel had brought up my hunger, and I needed to take care of it so I didn’t die. I took the stairs two at a time and unlocked the Vault. I wasn’t prepared for what I saw next.
Everyone in the vault was sucked dry—and Zack was missing.

Arthur held me in his arms for a long time. By the time he finally let me go, it was time for a feast in the Great Hall. He got up and changed into a much more kingly ensemble, while I put myself in a more medieval dress Guinevere had lent me. It was black with silver, which were apparently ‘my’ colors. Guinevere fixed my hair, “to ready for a special surprise” she’d said. I was nervous, but not for the feast. If anyone saw my sudden change in appearance, I’d be tried a witch and burned at the stake. Unless Arthur—Father—vouched for my life.
When it was time for the feast, Arthur held my hand and Guinevere’s as we walked through the aisle to three thrones. The large one Maeve had showed me earlier sat in-between two smaller thrones. The throne before me was silver with black rose vines draped on the back. Arthur’s throne was gold and red, and Guinevere’s was green and blue. Theirs screamed life, while mine had an aura of death.
We stood facing the citizens, bowed and took our seats. Surprisingly, I wasn’t nervous at all. It was like I’d been doing this for years. I looked to my right and saw Maeve sitting in a simpler yet very elegant throne-lounge type chair. She winked at me. Wait. You’re going to love this, she mouthed. I grinned and looked back to the crowd. Arthur stood up and addressed the crowd.
“Loyal citizens of Camelot, I welcome thee to this special and regal occasion, for today a very special girl,” he faced me and held out his hand. I took it and stood, “will be officially your princess.” My eyes widened and I looked at him dubiously. He nodded and continued. “Yes, this girl, excuse me, this woman is my long lost daughter, Evanna May Pendragon. She has seen more than any of us will ever see. I fully trust her.” He looked into my eyes as he said this. I bit my lip. “Now, I do believe my little girl should get her crown now.” Arthur said happily. A boy with shaggy black hair and green eyes stalked in the room, not looking up until he was at the foot of the steps. In his hands was a white satin pillow with a silver forehead band. His face was familiar, a little too familiar. Arthur took the band and put over my head. It fit perfectly.
“Thank you Kane.” Arthur said. My eyes grew wide as I realized who entirely it was. I looked back at Maeve. She had the same look on her face I was pretty sure I had. Kane nodded and bowed.
“Yes, your Highness.” Kane said. Then he winked at me and rushed from the room. I stared at the door long after he left.
“Princess Evanna May Pendragon, would you like to make a speech?” Guinevere asked. I nodded happily.
“I would just like to say how honored I am that you would make me your princess. Never in a million years did I expect this. I don’t know what else to say. Thank you citizens of Camelot.” I said. The crowd stood up and cheered. Arthur stood up followed by Guinevere and clapped. I turned and saw Maeve up, clapping. I told you you’d love it. I smiled. Then I felt a sharp pain in my upper chest. My smile disappeared as I grasped my dress. I took my hand away to see bright red blood coating my hand. I fell to my knees and the applause ceased. I let out a high scream before falling on my back.
“Evanna?” Arthur asked. I couldn’t blink, couldn’t move. He and Maeve rushed to my side.
“Someone get a doctor! Get Merlin!” Maeve yelled. And then I saw him. A dark man with black hair and bright red eyes stood above Maeve and Arthur, holding up a crooked black dagger with silver runes glowing on the side. He raised the knife to deliver another blow. I saw the sun set on the horizon and willed my body to heal.
“No!!” I screamed as I flew up in the air. I blasted the man and made him visible to everyone. He dropped the knife and it slid to the feet of Merlin. He bent over and picked it up.
“Azazel.”
“Yes.” The man hissed. He launched himself in the air, landed in the crowd and grabbed a pretty young woman.
“Put her down.” Arthur ordered. Azazel shrugged and bit the girl. She screamed out in pain and went slack. He dropped her to the ground. He flew back in the air, his eyes now a sickening ebony.
“I thought you were a demon.” Maeve spat.
“Oh, I am. I was turned.” Azazel said. I felt a burning sensation in my heart. Azazel stared right at me. “You won’t last two minutes.” Maeve looked at me.
“What is he talking about?” she asked. I cried out in response. Everyone backed away. Even Azazel backed away in the air.
“Oh, crap.” He said. I saw light blanket the room. I fell to my knees again and lost my eyesight. When my vision cleared, the pain was gone, but the room was charred. All the people, however, were untouched, except for Azazel. He was pinned against the far wall, held there only by two powerful beams of light. I was on one knee, my arms thrust out in front of me. I stood slowly and looked up. The beams were coming from me. I watched Azazel’s ancient body crumble into ash and relaxed. The power flowed back into me.
“Princess Evanna?” a little girl from the crowd called. I found her with vision better than usual. It was like I could zoom in. I flew over and landed in front of her, cracking the ground beneath my feet. The girl was four at best and very cute. She had curly red hair and bright green eyes.
“Yes?”
“You look different.” She hugged her doll close to her chest. “Did you kill that man?”
“Yes, but he was a bad, bad man. I look different?” she nodded, and then gave me a small hand mirror. She was right. I looked like the sunset version of myself. I looked outside. It was way past sunset. “I do look different.” I whispered. The little girl’s mother came and ushered her away from me. I flew back to my father. I was taller than him by a good six inches now.
“Evanna, you’ve changed.” He said, his voice cracking.
“Get that monster out of here!” Guinevere shouted. “Arthur, can’t you see what she did? She destroyed the most powerful villain on the planet! I demand she be burned at the stake! Immediately!” Arthur looked at her, back at me, and sighed.
“I’m sorry, Guinevere. I can’t do this.” Arthur started. Unfortunately, she cut him off.
“Fine. But I can. Seize her!” She yelled. Two large men ran up to me and grasped my arms. The guard to my right had brown hair and brown eyes. The guard to my left had black eyes and an evil grin. “Take her to the dungeon. She shall be burned at the stake tomorrow at sunset.”
“But Lady Guinevere, the Flaming One is scheduled to be burned tomorrow.” The brown eyed one said.
“Well, than she got lucky. Throw this rat in the dungeon. We’ll deal with her tomorrow.”
“Hold on.” Arthur stopped the guards. “Who is the Flaming One?”
“She is a delusional witch. She claims to be Brighid’s daughter.” Guinevere spat.
“Free both her and my daughter. If my daughter’s mother was a goddess, why couldn’t this girl’s mother be a goddess?” Arthur asked. The black eyed one snarled.
“She is evil.” He hissed in Guinevere’s ear. “Arthur has fallen under her spell. She must be killed.” I looked at my father who was still waiting for his wife’s answer, and wondered if he even knew the man was there.
“I’m sorry, Arthur, but she is an evil being who has corrupted you. She must be dealt with.” Guinevere said flatly. The ebony-eyed man grinned. I closed my eyes. Please hear me. I tried to tell Arthur mentally.
You must watch what you think. I thought Merlin told you th– he answered.
Guinevere. Something’s controlling her. He’s dressed as a guard. He’s been telling her you’re corrupted and to kill me. I cut him off. Arthur squinted to my left. I looked at the creature beside me and watched as his body shimmered as though he was fighting to stay hidden. Arthur’s eyes widened, letting me know he’d seen. He glanced in my direction and nodded to Guinevere. I nodded back, understanding what he meant. I felt my strength and confidence build up inside me and willed the ropes that bound me to disappear. When I felt my hands move freely, I raised my left hand and concentrated on a deadly bolt. The demon sensed it and whirled around, breaking both my concentration and the spell on the Queen. She collapsed, only to be caught by my father.
“How dare you?” his voice had changed. It now sounded extremely deep and powerful. I shrugged and blasted him in the chest, killing him instantly.
“Well. That was quick.” Arthur said, then turned to the wide-eyed guard.
“Maeve?” he said. I’d completely forgotten she was there. She nodded to him and mumbled something I couldn’t understand. The guard slowly walked away. For some reason, I dismissed it as normal. Arthur helped Guinevere up the stairs to her chambers, then came back down to Maeve and I. The citizens had cleared out luckily. Arthur was upset. I could tell by the way he waved Maeve off. Uh oh. Good luck. She told me mentally before disappearing. Arthur pushed me back to my throne before sitting on his own. He held his face in his hands, and I couldn’t tell what he was thinking. After about two minutes, he mumbled something into his hands.
“What?” I asked nervously. I had a bad feeling that this was about me.
“I said it’ll only get worse. When you turn eighteen, they’ll be everywhere.” He answered angrily. An auburn haired girl with a bright yellow dress peeked around the corner. Even through his hands, Arthur picked up on her presence.
“Come in.” he growled. The girl rushed in and knelt in front of Arthur.
“My King, I wish for forgiveness for whatever it is I have done. Please grant this and spare my life.” She said with a British accent. She sounded like she was about to cry.
“Stand.” She did as she was told. “You have done nothing wrong, Miss—”
“Hanna Kate Perry, your Highness.” She finished. Arthur grinned.
“Miss Perry. The one who sentenced you was corrupted, but she is much kinder now. You shall live.” Hanna’s smile was almost too big for her face.
“Thank you! Thank you so much!” she bounced up and down and then noticed me, the dark opposite of her. She gave me a funny look before realizing that I sat on a throne. “You are the princess, no?” she asked.
“I think so. My name’s Evanna McKau-Pendragon.” I corrected myself. “Are you Brighid’s daughter?”
“Yes. I heard you are Epona’s daughter?”
“Yeah.” I answered. “But I have Morrigan’s powers in me as well.” I should’ve realized it sooner. I turned to Merlin who was still standing by Arthur.
“What time is it?” I asked.
“Midnight now.” Merlin said. Midnight. How could I have used Morrigan’s powers earlier? Merlin sensed my confusement and answered my question.
“When you exploded, all your potential abilities became accessible at all times of day. Why, I am not sure. I do know that you and Maeve have to return to your time.” He explained. “Miss Perry, I need you to find your house in the 21st century. It looks the same there as it does here. No one lives there because it is still in your family. Stay there until you are called upon by Evanna or Maeve.” Hanna nodded and went to stand by me. Maeve appeared next to me. Merlin grinned and started to say something, but was interrupted by Arthur, who had stood up and walked over to me.
“Wait,” he said. “I’m coming too.” Merlin nodded and cast a spell to send us back.

I will say I’m not a fan of time travel. When it starts, it feels amazing, but after about five seconds, you feel like you’re going to puke. We appeared in my house and scared Dad. He dropped his pot of boiling water all over the floor. Luckily he was still in his hunting gear, so he didn’t burn.
“Evanna! You’re back! Sorry, I didn’t know you were coming.” He exclaimed. Adam ran downstairs and nearly tripped on his own feet. Maeve made the hot water disappear so he wouldn’t burn his feet.

“Evanna!” he yelled and ran to hug me. Then he hugged Maeve and noticed Arthur, whose kingly outfit had apparently changed to a five thousand dollar suit. I looked at my own outfit which had changed into a silver tank top with a black jacket, black skinny jeans, and my black over knee heeled boots. Maeve’s red dress changed into a red sundress. Not much change. Adam noticed my facial change of appearance and my height.

“Did you dye your hair and get colored contacts? Why are you so tall?” he asked. I decided he didn’t need to know the full truth.

“Yeah. Growth spurt, I guess.” I shrugged.

“You don’t look hideous now, so that’s good.” He laughed. I playfully punched him in the shoulder. “Who’s the business guy?” he whispered.

“That’s my…uncle. He was my mom’s brother. I just met him.” It felt weird calling my actual father my uncle. Dad picked up on it pretty quickly.

“Uncle Arthur, it’s been so long. Come in the living room with me. We have so much to talk about.” He said. Arthur smiled and followed him into the other room. Adam went back up to his room while Maeve and I finished Dad’s spaghetti. Dad and Arthur walked in the dining room just I was taking the garlic bread out of the oven.

“Dad, can you go get Adam? I would yell at him to come down, but he’s probably zoned in on his DS.” I asked. Dad nodded and went to get by little brother. Arthur came over and helped me put the food on the table. Maeve was finishing to set the table.

“What is this food?” Arthur asked me. I started to laugh, but then I realized he’d never had it.

“Spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread. It’s a classic here. If there’s not enough, I can make some more.” Adam came down with Dad not too far behind. Maeve sat down in her usual seat when she came over and Adam started to sit at the head of the table before Dad stopped him.

“Guests sit at the head, Adam.” Adam went and sat next to Dad across from Maeve and I sat next to Arthur and Maeve. I stood and put a large scoop of pasta on Arthur’s plate, and then went in a circle. Arthur took a large piece of garlic bread and took a bite.

“Mm. This is quite delicious, Evanna.” He praised.

“Try it with the pasta.” Dad suggested. Arthur tried it and it looked like he was in heaven.

“This one the best things I’ve ever eaten.” He exclaimed. I smiled.

“Well, she’s a really good cook.” Adam said. “Why do you wear a suit?”

“I work in the government.” He said. I was grateful that he used a vague answer. Adam didn’t ask what he did thankfully. “What do you do Dave?”

“I’m a hunter/historian. I usually study the Arthurian legends and things of that nature.” He answered. Arthur looked impressed. Adam looked at me funny before putting two and two together. His eyes widen and I could tell he was excited.

“Are you King Arthur?” he asked giddily. Crap.

Arthur looked at Dad. When he nodded to him, Arthur answered. “Yes. I’m also Evanna’s real dad.” Adam jumped up, ran up to his room, and came back down with a wide grin and an autograph book. Arthur laughed and pulled out an old-fashioned ink pen. It was black with a gold engraving that I just barely saw: EXCALIBUR. He signed the book and handed it back to Adam.

“Please don’t tell any of your friends about me and I’ll make you a knight.” Arthur said.

“Deal.” Adam smiled. Arthur closed his eyes as Excalibur grew from a six inch pen to a four foot sword with a foot long hilt made of solid gold. Dave and Adam stared in awe, and I felt its magic fill the air. Adam knew well enough to get up and kneel down to Arthur. Arthur stood up as well.

“Adam McKaughan, By the power invested in me and the Court of Camelot, I dub thee Knight of America.” He said. Adam shimmered before bursting with light. Everyone looked away except me. I watched as my little brother grew into a eighteen year old man who surged with power. When the light vanished, everyone looked in awe at the new adult. Even Arthur was amazed.

“Well, this has never happened before.” He said.

“What?” Adam said in his new deep voice. “Whoa, my voice is really deep.” He put a hand over his mouth and breathed in and out. “Luke, I am your father.” He said.

“That’s Adam all right.” Dad said. Arthur held his hand up to his chin and thought for a second.

“Adam, would you hold out your hand?” he asked. Adam looked at me and when I nodded, did as he was told. With his hand outstretched palm up, a soft glow appeared. The glow grew until it protruded from his skin to create a small beam. When the beam grew larger, Arthur instructed him to aim it at me. I gave Adam a reassuring smile and he forced his power at me. I caught it and let it evaporate. Adam let the beam die and fell back in his chair.

“Wow.” He wiped the sweat off his forehead. Arthur turned to Dad.

“Who is his mother?” he asked.

“Cara Dwenn.” Dad answered. I remembered Cara. She always liked me. Dad seemed so happy and Cara seemed right at home. When she had Adam, everyone seemed so happy, so Dad and I were both heartbroken and confused as to why she left. On Adam’s second birthday, Dad got a letter from her, but never let me read it.

“You mean Cerridwen?” Arthur corrected. Cerridwen. I knew that name from somewhere.

“I guess.” Dad shrugged. Then his eyes went wide with realization. He looked at Adam. “Cerridwen.” Suddenly I realized it too. The reason Adam aged at knighthood, the reason he shot white beams from his hand. Cerridwen. The moon goddess. “She’s your mother.” Dad whispered. Adam looked from Dad to Arthur to me. Maeve had vanished to the bathroom, knowing this was a tense moment.

“What’s going on?” he asked. Knowing neither Dad nor Arthur would know how to say it, I spoke up.

“Your mom, Cerridwen, she’s a goddess. Her power runs through your veins. The reason I could catch your power is because my mom is Epona, the horse goddess. I also have Morrigan’s powers. She’s the goddess of battle and strife. I’m not sure why knighthood triggered your powers, but I do know that they are all there. You’ll need to go back to Camelot to be trained by Merlin.”

Adam gave me a funny look. “You aren’t telling me something.” I’m not telling you a lot of things. I thought. Adam’s eyes grew wide and I knew I’d made a mistake.

“I heard you.” He whispered. “How did I hear you?” You could hear a pin drop.

“It comes with the powers.” I finally said.

“What aren’t you telling me?” he asked impatiently. I fished my mother’s letter out of my pocket and handed it to him. He took it and gave me a funny look before reading it. When he was finished, he looked up at me with tears in his eyes. I could tell he was maturing, and quickly. “800 years?” I nodded. “I think I need to see Merlin.” He finally understood. I felt Maeve’s hand on my shoulder, telling me she’d handle it. I stood back and watched as Arthur and Dad knelt before Adam. Maeve closed her eyes and Adam began to shimmer. There was a bright flash, and Adam was gone. Arthur and Dad stood up.

“Now what? My daughter and son both have magical powers and I’m just an average Joe.” Dad said. Arthur slapped Dad on the back.

“Don’t worry, Dave. Your children will do many great things.” He faced me and Maeve. “We must leave. Azazel didn’t come to my castle as a pop-by. Someone sent him. As for the other demon, I’ve never seen him before.”

“Demons?” Dad asked.

“He seemed to be a mental demon.” Maeve said.

“Demons!” Dad shrieked. Maeve rolled her eyes and made Dad fall asleep.

“Right now we need to head back to the Cromwell estate. Kane should be able to provide us with some shelter while we figure this all out.” Maeve said. Arthur gave her a funny look.

“Isn’t my stable boy’s name Kane Cromwell?” Arthur said. Rather than answering, Maeve flashed us to Kane’s home. It seemed dark and empty.

“Hello? It’s Evanna, Maeve, and Arthur.” I called. Kane ran down to us at speeds faster than the eye can see. I noticed his eyes had changed to a light blue.

“I’ve been wondering how long you’d be gone.” He said. He changed his attention to my father. “Long time, no see.”

“Well that’s not true. I just saw you a few hours ago. Just before a demon’s attempted murder.” Arthur countered. Kane perked up at that.

“Attempted murder?” he asked. Arthur nodded.

“Yes. And by Azazel nonetheless.” Kane’s eyes flared red for an instant before returning to the ocean blue color. Either Maeve and Arthur didn’t see it, or they ignored it.

“But she is still alive.” Arthur nodded. “That’s fantastic.” Kane said. I picked up on a hint of sarcasm. The other two didn’t, obviously. “Well, make yourself at home. I’m sure Maeve will show you to your room, Arthur.” Maeve smiled and pulled Arthur behind her. Arthur gave me a look. You trust him? He asked me mentally. Maeve pulled him away before I could answer. When they were out of ear shot, Kane whipped his head in my direction.

“As for you,” he said, “I’ve made some—changes, to your room.” He turned and walked at a brisk pace. I knew he meant for me to follow, so I did. He led me down a long hallway and down a few more hallways before stopping abruptly in front of a dark door I didn’t recognize. He pulled a set of keys out of his pocket and fumbled with them before finding the right key. He put in the lock and turned. The door swung open, revealing an old stairway leading to the basement. “Wait here.” He commanded. Then he ran downstairs, only to return moments later with his fangs peeking out of his mouth. They quickly disappeared, and Kane grabbed my arm. He ran me up to my room so fast, I couldn’t tell what passageways he took. You’d think I knew where my room was, but it was like any memory I had of it vanished. I did remember what it looked like, though, and I couldn’t recognize it. In fact, no sooner had I entered the room that I felt weaker. I fell on my bed and watched as Kane closed the door and bound me to the end of the bed.

“What’s wrong with me?” I whispered. Kane let his eyes turn their unique shade of red. He sped over and backhanded the side of my face. I cried out, but somehow I knew the room was soundproof.

“How did you survive Azazel’s attack?” he snarled. I guess I could answer my father’s question now: no. I guess I should’ve seen it sooner. I doubted Arthur had simply given Kane that old book. I looked at him with pure hatred. I knew deep down that no matter what he did, he couldn’t break me.

“Screw you.” I spat. Kane’s eyes glowed with anger. He struck me across the face with extreme strength. I heard my nose break and screamed at the top of my lungs.

“Pathetic girl. You actually think I won’t find a way to break you? That you and that stupid girl will find out a way to stop me? That that idiot father of yours is actually trustworthy?” He struck a nerve there. I felt a surge of power flow through me. Kane sensed it and frowned. “That’s impossible. This room’s enchanted. You shouldn’t have any power!” I ignored him and closed my eyes, willing my binds to fall apart. I stood up and it just barely registered that I was now a full foot and a half taller than five foot seven Kane.

“How dare you?” I shrieked. I noticed that my voice was split, like it was two different voices speaking at once. I also noticed that I couldn’t control what I said. Kane fell back a little.

“No.” he whispered.

“I hope you realize what you’ve done.” I said, not knowing at all what I was talking about.

“I’m sorry.” Kane muttered.

“Now when we die, what will you do? Evanna will be out for revenge. She will do whatever it takes to kill you. And you won’t be able to stop her. She’s already a half-goddess, and your little demon friend just ensured your death.” Half-goddess? Who’s dying? Whoever was speaking through me might be on to something about me killing Kane. What demon friend?

“Well, I’m sorry. All of my food was stolen yesterday. Fifty years of hunting, gone.”

“Goodbye, vampire.” I fell to the ground unconscious.

I woke up to a hard slap on the face. My eyes sprung open to see my attacker. Maeve sat there sheepishly, her hand still in the air.
“Ow!” I screamed. She lowered her hand and shrugged.
“Kane! Father! Arthur! She’s awake!” She shouted at the ceiling. I looked around the room. Wood floors, walls, and ceilings. Various animal heads littered the walls, and a mismatched crystal chandelier hung above my head. A glass case held faerie statues and ammo. The whole room didn’t make sense.
“Where am I?” I asked myself out loud. Maeve whipped her head back to look at me.
“My father’s log cabin in Kentucky. He’s kind of a hermit now, so just…” she couldn’t find the words to finish her sentence. An old hillbilly with worn hunting gear barged in the room. He started toward Maeve but turned and locked the door instead.
“Ain’t no sense in lettin’ them vampir’s come runnin’ in all rude-like.” He growled and sat down in a brown armchair.
“Father, Arthur’s not a vampire.” Maeve corrected.
“Wait, that’s your father?” I nearly laughed. They were nothing alike. Maeve was so elegant and poised. He wasn’t.
“Yes, he’s my father.” Maeve rolled her eyes.
“Mae! How many times do I gotta tell you not to call me ‘Father’? I am your daddy, and yous gonna call me as such, you hear?” Maeve’s dad scolded. Maeve rolled her eyes and laughed.
“Do you want some food or something?” Maeve asked me.
“Yeah. Gimme a beer. I ain’t had one of them since 10 o’clock.” Mr. Love said. Maeve checked her iPhone.
“That was ten minutes ago.”
“Yep. It sure was.” Maeve sighed and got up.
“Anything for you, Evanna?”
“Uh…extra-sweet tea please.” I said. Maeve nodded and turned to leave the room.
“Bud-Lite!” Mr. Love called as Maeve turned around the corner out of sight. “So, you must be the infamous Evanna McKaughan.” He said to me.
“Infamous?” I asked. I’d never been to Kentucky so I had no idea how I could even be known here.
“Yes, you little rat! Yer brother and his partner came by here a couple days ago. Said they were looking fer a vampir, no special name or nuthin’. I told ‘em I ain’t never seen you, nor did I know where you were. They didn’t take to that kindly. I hadn’t used my wizardly powers in over three centuries, so I couldn’t take ‘em down. I did cast some sort o’ curse on ‘em. Now yer family is hated by wizards everywhere.” Maeve walked back in the room with two bottles and a glass of sweet tea. She passed out a Bud-Lite and my sweet tea before cracking open her bottle. Seeing my horrified expression, she laughed and almost spat out her drink.
“Relax. I hate bottle wrappers. It’s root beer.” I sat back and took a drink of my tea. “As far as you know.” She mumbled. I shot her a look and she just grinned. “So what were you talking about?” she asked. I can kill you. Watch what you say if you know what’s good fer ya. He told me mentally.
“Your dad was just telling me about seeing my brother around here recently.” I said directing the conversation to Mr. Love. He took a swig of his beer.
“Right. That Adam boy almost destroyed my town. Claimed to be from the past.” Mr. Love’s words were slurred. He downed the rest of his beer. He turned it upside down so a few drops could fall on his other hand. He licked the alcohol off his hand before scoffing and slamming the bottle on the ground. He stood up, only to fall on his face, asleep in the broken glass.
“Oh, God.” Maeve said as she struggled to turn him over. She raised her hand over his face and closed her eyes. I watched as all of the glass was sucked from his face and the cuts sealed up. Maeve vanished with her father and reappeared a second later free of the magic hillbilly. She waved her hand over the broken glass as it faded away. Kane and Arthur walked in the room, arguing about different hunting techniques. Kane was wearing a black ski hat and black hunting boots with his dark jeans and grey sweatshirt. Arthur traded in his expensive suit for a red Arkansas hat and sweatshirt, a pair of light blue jeans, and brown hunting boots. Not exactly a kingly ensemble.
“I’m just saying, no one uses swords anymore. It’s inhumane.” Kane said.
“Well, at least I don’t bite my animals. Talk about inhumane.” Arthur countered. I noticed he spoke with a more modern tone. As if recognizing we were in the room, Kane flashed Maeve a grin. Arthur rolled his eyes.
“Umm… how are you out in the daylight?” I asked the vampire. He whipped his head around and glared at me. His red eyes triggered something inside me, making me both suspicious and sympathetic.
“Maeve cast a spell on me. As long as I have some form of covering on my head, I can go out in sunlight.” He said, motioning to his ski hat.
“How long does it last?” I asked.
“Too long.” Arthur muttered. Kane ignored him.
“I don’t know. I think  Maeve said forever.” He said. Maeve nodded.
“Kane can I talk to you a second?” she asked. He nodded and followed her to the corner of the room. Arthur sat down on the sofa next to me.
“Something’s wrong.” He said. I laughed nervously.
“Yeah. Tell me about it.”
“What did Don tell you?” That question startled me. I knew what he meant, but knew I should block my mind and play dumb.
“Who’s Don?” I asked. Either he knew I was playing dumb and playing along or I was a great actress.
“Don is Maeve’s father. The hillbilly? What did he tell you?” Arthur said.
“Oh him. Nothing other than the fact that my brother and his partner are apparently evil and from the past and were here recently. He didn’t say who the partner was though.” He put a hand to his chin and thought.
“Hmm. Where is he?”
“Lying down. He drank a little too much and passed out.” Don walked in right as I said it. “That was quick.”
“If you had as many hangovers as I had, you’d be better in a matter o’ minutes too. Now what were y’all talkin’ bout?” he said.
“Who was Adam McKaughan’s partner?” Arthur asked.
“I don’t know. She was beautiful though.” Don shrugged.
“She. What did she look like?” I asked.
“Reddish-brown hair, bright green eyes. Taller than you,” he pointed at Arthur, “but shorter than you.” He pointed at me. Arthur’s eyes went wide.
“Sister."  He glanced at me and did a double-take. I noticed Maeve, Kane, and Don looking too.
"What?"  I walked over to the glass cabinet and gasped. I was unrecognizable. Instead of the black hair and multi-color eyes I was getting used too, I saw ultra-long platinum blonde hair and bright cobalt eyes. My skin was still pale, but it'd tanned only slightly.
"Was she like that earlier?" Don asked. Arthur slowly shook his head.
"No." Maeve walked away from Kane and over to me.
"Evanna?" She sounded frightened. She reached out to touch me, to make sure I was real. I closed my eyes in the hope that I was real. Through my closed eyelids I could see into someone's mind, but I hadn't a clue whose mind it was. The person was angry. I'm gonna kill him, he thought, I'm going to rip his freaking head off. And then I felt his sorrow and knew someone had killed someone he loved. I felt sorry for them, and he heard. I was blocked out, which could only mean that he was supernatural. I fought the barrier, something I'd never been willing to do before, and broke through, this time as an illusion outside his mind. He was extremely handsome and looked about my age. He had short black hair and icy blue eyes that saw my presence.
"Who are you and why are you here?" he demanded. So much hostility. Then I saw his dead family in a heap in the corner. I should've been terrified, or heartbroken or something of that nature. Instead I felt enraged. Without thinking, I lunged forward and grasped his face between my palms. We watched in amazement as color spread up my arms and took the place of the blueish grey. When I felt a slight breeze in my hair, I released him and we both fell to the ground. He got up first and hurried to help me to my feet. "Can I ask you something?" he asked. I nodded. "Were you a ghost before and I somehow brought you back to life?" I thought carefully before answering.
"I was dead and now I'm alive. It's possible I guess." I shrugged. He gave me a funny look but didn't continue.
"What's your name?" I noticed his British accent.
"Evanna McKaughan." I reached my hand out. He shook it gingerly.
"Austin Perry. Now why are you here?" I grunted and let myself fall into a wooden rocker.
"It's a long story."
"I have time." he said.
"Fine." I proceeded to tell him about my appearance change, being able to read his mind, and the sudden burst of strength and courage to break through his mental barrier. I half expected him to laugh or make some rude comment about how crazy I was. He didn't.
"I think you are the first to accomplish this. You might want to keep it a secret from the monster who did this." he said motioning to his lifeless family.
"Who did this?"
"Kane Sanderson

Chapter 12

Maeve

I've been living for centuries, but I've never seen anyone vanish the way Evanna did. She didn't shimmer, she wasn't poof! gone, it was weird. She faded a little bit, then stopped, then slowly vanished starting at her hands. Dad, after living in the backwoods as long as he had, passed out when her head vanished. Arthur turned green and made a beeline for the bathroom. Kane however, excused himself to his room calmly, although I'm almost certain I heard glass break and things being thrown around. I went to check on him only to find myself mysteriously back downstairs. 
I recall the days Evanna and I ran around Arthur's castle, her in rich green dresses and me in my older sister's hand-me-downs. I never did find out what happened to Sylvia. I think she got angry Mom had chosen me as the next goddess Maeve and ran away with a copy of Dad's spell book. A freezing sensation washed over me, and I awoke to see Dad pouring cold water on me.
"Mornin' sunshine." he seemed oddly sober and happy. I felt happy for him and stood up to congratulate him.Then a tall blonde woman with hazel eyes stepped in the room and gave us a hug. Of course I knew who she was. How could I not?
"Sylvia?" was all I could say. I'd learned to resent her over the years. Then it hit me. She was a mortal wizard, so she could be old, but she should look at least 50. As if reading my mind, she explained herself. Sorta.
"You have your tricks, I have mine." She smirked and for a split second I thought I saw her eyes change colors. She was always Dad's favorite. She got the stronger powers, she got nice clothes. I was Mom's favorite, but I only got to see her on my birthday every ten years. Though I did get her powers early on.
"Now all we need is your mother!" Dad said eagerly. He pulled us into a group hug that both me and Sylvia fought to escape. Then we felt a hand on our shoulders and stopped. We looked at each other, my face oozing happiness, her face radiating pure hatred. We turned around and saw the most beautiful woman we'd ever seen. Her dark curls had been straightened, and her blue eyes shone brightly.
"Mom!" I exclaimed. I hugged her and saw Sylvia take a step back and huff out of the corner of my eye. We heard a low growl and stepped back to see Sylvia snarling at Mom. Her soft hazel eyes  had changed to a hostile red color. She lunged forward and I knew I didn't stand a chance against her. I braced myself for the blow that never came.
A black haired boy with huge muscles crashed through the window and knocked her to the ground. Sylvia thrashed around, but couldn't escape him. He met my gaze. I could see in his  eyes that he was fighting himself as well as Sylvia. He closed his eyes and I gasped as he began to shimmer. Even Sylvia stopped thrashing to watch. Two holes appeared on the back of his shirt, revealing two huge black wings. He stood up lifting Sylvia by the neck. His eyes popped open, now a bright golden color. Mom vanished and Dad sat down.
"You created the monster who did this." the man said. Sylvia looked the man up and down.
"Yes, I did. But you won't be able to stop him."
"And why not?" Sylvia smirked.
"He has the blood of the most powerful creatures. Angels, wizards, elves; he's virtually indestructible."
"Who are we talking about?" I butted in.
"Kane Sanderson." The man said without even glancing my way. "And I think I know a few recruits to kill him."
"Who are you?" He finally looked my way.
"Zack Watson. I was an angel until Kane bit me. Now look at me. I've been banished from Heaven by the Big Guy himself." I studied his hardened face and knew he wouldn't lie to me. Ever. Though I'd been friends with Kane since we were kids, I knew Zack was telling the truth. But I knew I couldn't kill Kane. Instead, I'd give him help.
"According to my 'sister', you'd need a small army to kill him."
"I told you, the angels in Heaven won't help us now."
"You need Evanna McKaughan. She's the product of two goddesses and a powerful king." I said. Sylvia hissed, and I knew she didn't want us to realize that.
"Can I kill her?" he pleaded. Sylvia's eyes turned back to hazel as she looked to me for help. I wouldn't let him kill her, but I knew we couldn't let her run around.
"No. Just stake her. It won't kill her." I broke the leg of a chair and handed it to Zack. Sylvia looked at me, horrified.
"I'm your sister! You wouldn't stake me!"
"You were my sister. As of 1236, you were a stranger to me. You broke Dad's heart." I growled. She gave me a sly grin.
"Oops, I did it again." she said quoting Britney Spears. I turned around and saw my father sitting motionless in his armchair. All my sympathy for her vanished. I threw the chair leg down.
"What are you doing?" Zack asked.
"I've changed my mind. Kill her." I hissed. Zack smiled. His eyes glowed as fire engulfed his hand charring her throat. The fire spread along her face and her screams were so earsplitting I thought a neighbor would come a see what was wrong. Then I remembered that Dad had built this cabin far away from civilization so no one could see his wizardry. Once she was completely charred, Zack sent her to a medieval mass burial before she was born. While he was doing this, I mourned my deceased father. When Sylvia was gone, Zack came up behind me and laid a hand on my shoulder.
"We're such a dysfunctional family." I said through tears to no one in particular. "Mom was always gone, Dad was always training Sylvia. Can you believe he never ever taught me any spells? Every spell I know I either made up or taught myself? And now I'm the last one. Mom won't be back for ten years and I only have Evanna and I thought I had Kane but he turned you into a fallen angel and-" I paused, noting something Zack had said. "What did you mean when you told Sylvia that she created Kane? And how could the 'Big Guy' exist if I'm living proof that there are Celtic gods and goddesses?"
He sighed. "She turned Kane into a vampire. And all the gods in the world exist. I was just ruled by the Christian God. You said your friend Evanna could help? Where is she?"
"I don't know. She vanished not long before you came." He grabbed my hands and closed his eyes as he rubbed them together. My vision was flooded with pictures of Evanna and another dark haired boy. They walked past a water tower with some blurry letters. I closed my eyes and the words were clear as day: Clarion. The vision stopped and we opened our eyes.
"I know where that is. It's a long drive," he smiled with a glint in his eye. "Unless you want to fly." His wings sprung out from his back. I'd never flown before, but I knew I wouldn't have a choice in the matter. He led me outside and instructed me to wrap my arms around his neck. I had to jump to do so. Once I had a good grip, he launched himself into the air so fast, I felt like my face was going to fall off. I closed my eyes and waited. Waited until I felt him descend, waited until the world could be normal. 
It was dark out when we got to Clarion. It was a tiny town, with three restaurants and a small school. Few people were out, and only the occasional elderly person would wave or smile. Zack landed in the back parking lot of Subway and bent backwards so I didn't fall back. Once I was down, his wings retracted into his back. He led me to a beat up pickup truck and checked to see if it was unlocked. The door opened easily and he climbed in. The keys were in the ignition.
"What are you doing?" I said angrily. No way was I getting arrested. Especially since according to the U.S government, I didn't exist.
"Shh. This is my niece's car. I borrow it all the time." he tossed me his phone. "Send Emily a text saying I'm using her pickup again." I looked at his phone. It was something I'd never seen before. "One of the perks of being an angel." he frowned, remembering that he was no longer an angel. I tapped the screen a few times until I pulled up his inbox. I found Emily and told her that Zack was using her car. Then I tossed it back to him and climbed in the passenger side. We drove in silence, not knowing what to say. Finally Zack stopped in front of a run-down house on 9th Avenue. It was an odd sight, surrounded by large well-kept homes and a school. We walked up the sidewalk and knocked on the splintered door. I saw a flash of blonde through the window. The dark haired boy from the vision opened the door. His hair and clothes were rumpled, signs of sleeping restlessly. I saw a blonde head peek around a corner. "What? I was sleeping."
"Actually, we need your help." Zack said.
"With?"
"Kane Sanderson." I said. The guy's eyes went wide and he pulled us inside. He flicked on a light and I saw Evanna leaning up against a wall. Her platinum hair was tied up in a high ponytail, and her black ensemble reminded me of the Marvel character Black Widow.
"Kane got you too?" she asked. I nodded.
"Yeah. Turns out Sylvia turned him into a vampire. Zack killed her a few hours ago." I said pointing at Zack. He waved. Evanna motioned to the guy.
"This is Austin. When I vanished, for some reason I appeared in his house. His family was murdered by Kane."
"Where's Arthur?" I asked, trying to change the subject.
"Upstairs sleeping. I told him I'd wake him up when you got here, but I've been told not to wake up the King." Evanna said turning to Austin. He looked around nervously as she stared daggers at him. It was so cute how they tried to flirt-fight.
"Elvis?" Zack asked. Evanna and I burst out laughing. "What?"
"Elvis has been dead for like 50 years. We were talking about King Arthur. From Avalon?" I said. Zack gave me a look and I rolled my eyes. Austin clapped his hands together.
"So. What's the game plan? We charge in his mansion and kill him?" Austin said taking a drink of his water. Zack shook his head.
"No. He can call his minions in the blink of an eye. Maeve said Evanna is our powerhouse. I think we need to send me in first. I escaped the Vault and-"
"The Vault? What's that?" I interrupted. He turned to look at me.
"The Vault is where Kane keeps his, quote, 'main food suppliers'. A demon had almost killed me. He vanished right as Kane came around a tree. Then Kane bit me. He dragged me to his mansion and tossed me in his Vault with several women. That first day I felt sick. The next day I went wild and drained them. I clawed my way out and threw the bodies in a bonfire seventy miles from his mansion. I've been trying to contain my dark side ever since. When I fought your sister earlier, I know you saw my eyes flicker. I have no idea what color they finally stopped on, but that was the first time my wings had come out since I was a true angel. I guess He was proud that I wasn't some raging monster." Zack said. I could tell in his eyes that he longed to be back with his brethren. I was heartbroken at how evil my former friend truly was.
"What a beautiful story." Austin growled. Evanna slapped his arm.
"How about we go through this tomorrow when someone's not being a total son of a-"
"Watch your language. I'm housing you, and we wouldn't want angel-boy to get mad and go tell his daddy now would we?" Austin snarled. Zack growled as his eyes began to flicker. Evanna and I exchanged looks before trying to pull them away. Zack let me drag him away, Austin was a bit more reluctant.
I led Zack into the dark hallway and waited for Evanna. When she came up, she led Zack to his room and me to mine. But before she said goodnight, she grabbed my arm. "I'm really sorry about Austin. He's not usually that much of a jerk. But what about Zack? You seem to like him, but I'm not sure in what kind of like it is. And why were his eyes flickering? I know you know." I rolled my eyes.
"And you thought I talk a lot. I'll tell you later. Night." I said yawning. She closed the door and I flicked on the light. For a run down house, it sure had nice, well-furnished rooms. I opened the oak dresser, pulled out a pair of pajamas, and entered the bathroom which had to've cost a fortune. I threw my dirty clothes down the laundry chute and put on my red satin pajama pants and my white silk camisole. I walked out and collapsed on the firm bed. 

*****

I walked through the darkness, looking for someone, anyone. My pajamas had been traded in for a red sweatshirt and jeans. My feet were only covered by thin socks. The ground was cold and solid. The air smelled like a forest, but it was hard to breathe. A soft breeze blowed my dark hair behind me. I heard footsteps to my side and looked around. I held my hand to my face. "Illuminate." I whispered. A soft flame erupted from my palm, only to be extinguished by the wind.
"Maeve?" a voice called. It was deep, and didn't sound too far away.  Something tackled me the ground and I held out my arms to break my fall. If it wasn't for something soft and warm, my arm would have been very broken. "What are you doing here?" the voice hissed. It clapped its hands and light engulfed us. I saw that I was in a forest, at least partially. The ground was black tile and a gloomy grey sky covered my head. Zack was sitting on the ground, trying to hide something behind his back. His wings were white and his hair was blonde. His only recognizable feature was his eyes. "What are you doing here?" he repeated. His eyes flickered over to red and his hair and wings started to turn black. He looked away and his hair returned to its blonde hue.
"I-I don't know. I was in my room, I fell asleep-is this a dream?" Zack looked back at me, a sad look in his eyes.
"More of a nightmare actually." he said with a sad laugh. "It reminds me that I can never go back. That I can never be what I once was." I walked over to him and gave him a hug.
"It doesn't matter what you once were, Zack, but what you did to stay you." I admit it sounded corny, but it was the truth. He could've been a heartless monster, but he fought it, and keeps fighting it now. He laughed softly.
"Yeah. Thanks for saying what I've been trying to tell myself for the past few days." I laughed and sat across from him. He began humming and I found myself joining in. Eventually he stopped and just listened to me. When I finished my song, he took my face in his hands and kissed me. I was startled at first but found myself kissing him back. The sky lightened up a bit and he let go, gazing in awe at the new brightness. A thought crossed my mind.
"You don't think-" he looked back at me and nodded.
"Yeah, I do." We grinned at each other before looking back at the sky.

*****

Zack and I ended up kissing for a while longer before Evanna woke me up, informing me I was kissing my pillow. I answered by throwing it at her while she laughed. She left, saying she'd be back in ten minutes. I flung myself out of bed and into the hot shower. I tossed most of the clothes out of the dresser before stopping on a black sweatshirt and jeans. I decided to go barefoot, trusting that after the nice rooms the run-down looking house wouldn't have any splintered wood sticking out. I slid down the handrail knocking someone down on my dismount. They took me down with them and I saw a familiar face.
"You do realize that my guards would have taken you away if that would've happened at my home, correct?" Arthur said laughing. I stood up and fixed my sweatshirt. He held a hand out and I pulled him to his feet with one hand. "Whoa. That's quite a bit of strength for a teenage girl." I shrugged. Evanna skipped around me and into the kitchen. A moment later, the smell of bacon filled the air. I wrinkled my nose. I'd been a vegetarian ever since I saw Kane drink from a cow a few years earlier.
"Maeve, you like waffles right?" Evanna called. She knew I didn't eat meats, eggs, or anything of that nature. I grinned.
"With loads of syrup. Where are the guys?" I answered. Arthur walked in the kitchen.
"I'm not sure. I think Austin was in the shower. You might want to check on Zack though." Evanna said before laughing. Apparently anything that had to do with him and I was hilarious. I climbed the stairs two at a time and took a right down the hall, the same direction leading to my room. I remembered that Evanna didn't lead me too far from my room. 
I opened a door randomly and saw a set of black wings and a very muscular back. He was wearing jeans and fumbling through the dresser for a shirt. I felt compelled to reach out and touch him, considering last night, but that was just a dream. Instead, I studied him. I'd become quite good at it over the years. I could find out one's darkest secrets just by watching them. Zack seemed tense, but also lonely. He used to be a powerful angel. Probably still is.
"Could you please stop?" he asked. "Stop playing with my mind, stop staring." Zack said. He folded his wings into his back and slid a Chicago Bears T-shirt over his head. He turned and looked at me, his bright green eyes showing no anger. Just longing, and sadness.
"Sorry. Evanna made breakfast." I said. He nodded and turned to go. I grabbed his shoulder. "About last night?"
"I'll explain later. Now let's go eat some bacon!" I groaned and he laughed.

This book has 1 comment.

on Sep. 1 2012 at 12:39 am
nebraskagirl2178 SILVER, Cresco, Iowa

Hope is a waking dream.~Aristotle

Parts of this were orinally bold, and they pages they were written on we're pretty small so...