The Fight for Fantasia | Teen Ink

The Fight for Fantasia

July 17, 2012
By sewellk80 SILVER, Baltimore, Maryland
More by this author
sewellk80 SILVER, Baltimore, Maryland
8 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Author's note: I am not big on science fiction but I have an addiction to Fantasy. I have never written a fantasy story, but I spend a lot of my time reading books such as Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. The piece is an assignment for my creative writing class, although I plan to finish it even though the class ends this weekend. I hope people will think about the future and how we shape what will come.

Racial segregation, over. Human inequality, over. Homophobia, forgotten. Yet “chaos is come again.” Humanity is losing the fight against entropy and Lieutenant Platinum is leading the fight against GEM. GEM is an evil organization created by aliens who masked themselves as humans for decades. With money comes much power in the world of humans, especially in America. These men acted their way to wealth. Since these “men” always appeared in the media people not only came to accept them, but to be enamored by them. For years these men starred in movies, made the front page of People magazine, and adopted children from Africa. Mel Thompson, Timothy Ship, and Gerald Travers were rolling in the dough. Therefore, avoiding tests that could reveal their identities were easy. A society is only deemed a civilization if it has the components of a civilization, one being social hierarchy. Since the beginning those at the top of the social hierarchy receive privileges and often times abuse those rights, which is exactly what Thompson, Ship and Travers did. The creators of GEM know something about humans that even the genius’ of the world sometimes forget; humans have too much trust in one another. GEM was able to create a totalitarian society in ten years.

The freezer door wasn’t supposed to close behind him. That wasn’t part of the plan. Lieutenant Platinum found himself in the freezer that stores food for all of those hidden in Fantasia. Fantasia is the only sect of earth untouched by GEM, for now. Platinum and his men hadn’t eaten for a week and a half, fighting would be impossible. They had one chance to take down GEM and there was no way Platinum was going to accept defeat because of an empty stomach. The freezer was ten miles away from base camp and normally would have taken hours to reach, but with the updated technology Platinum was able to reach his destination in forty five minutes. Technology first began to evolve at a rapid speed in the 21st century. Mankind feared the destruction of humanity from things they themselves created. Year after year people attempted to create devices and settings analogous to those in Harry Potter, Spy Kids, and several horror films. The entire population nearly became barbarians, but was stopped by GEM. GEM’s intervention made people like them, which led to the mass conversion of humans to the GEM religion. GEM’s intervention also led to the infiltration of more alien life forms on earth. In all horror forms previously created alien visitation was depicted as a bad thing, but alien presence on earth not only restored earth to its previous status, but rid the world of most of its social issues. The extra-terrestrials made technological offerings, which replaced the farfetched ideas of the humans.
When Platinum arrived at the freezer he unfortunately fell into the portal that led to GEM ruled earth. The portal was hidden within the freezer. Other people had ventured into the freezer and never returned, but in this day and age, 5000 NewTime, loyalty ran scarce. People abandoned their family and friends out of convenience. So, when Platinum entered the freezer he was a hostage to his own fate. Platinum was officially out of Fantasia, the leader against GEM was gone.

Chapter 2
Lieutenant Platinum has been gone for too long. I’m starting to get worried. Maybe it’s because he’s the only friend I’ve made here so far. No, that’s not fair. It’s okay for me to be worried. He’s my leader. We’re a team; there’s no I in team. We are meant to care for one another. It is so difficult coming to Fantasia from my planet. I see aliens here with eight arms and several eyes but the fact that my features are a mutation of humans makes me odd. Yes, I have whiskers and a tail, but I am still a positive contributor to society. I expected them to appreciate what I am trying to do. These men are not destroying my home! It seems all beings practice exclusivity. Even back on P983 bullying and injustice thrived. My country is the root of the caste system. It was us who decided to deem beings untouchable. In my opinion that’s inhumane, but then again I’m not human. Sometimes I do not understand this universe.
I’m still perplexed by the fact a disgusting lizard has risen to power. Haven’t these humans watched THEIR OWN television shows? Hello, they created Godzilla. People laugh at that all the time, which is exactly what Ship, Travers, and Thompson are! Just a whole bunch of oversized reptiles pissed off because they have nothing better to do.
Platinum, where the hell are youuuuuu. This solidarity is going to be the death of me. I have a few other acquaintances in Fantasia, Demetri and Cal. Unfortunately, it’s the first week of school and they are off to university, but that doesn’t even matter all that much anyways. Acquaintances aren’t friends. I can’t talk to them about how I really feel. About how lonely I am. About how I want to go home. About how I sometimes feel no one would miss me if I was gone. My life sucks. I try to be positive but it’s so hard. The only person who ever gives me any form of reinforcement is Platinum and I’ve got this feeling in the pit of my stomach that he’s not coming back. Now that I think about it, that feeling may be hunger. I haven’t eaten for days, but this feels like a different kind of empty. I have to tell myself he’s going to come back. Lieutenant Platinum is going to come back. Team. We’re a team.
Dammit. Timmy is walking in my direction. This dude is such a jackass. GEM claimed to expel racism, but this dude must be some exception. The Ku Klux Klan’s got nothing on Timmy. Sometimes I hate my perfect sense of smell. The whiskey and onion smell drift into my snouts receptors. I feel a burning sensation come up my esophagus but I swallow It down. His presence almost made me throw up, ridiculous. His left shoulder sinks far below his right today. Generally I’d be worried, but since he’s a complete sicko I don’t care. As usual he’s got the green, gourd like Bailey’s bottle.
“Man, I… I wan some food,” he slurs. CRAP. I was hoping he was just walking past. My eyes squint as I feel a tickle on my face. A leaf has fallen because my tail has shaken the tree. The anger I feel is now openly apparent. I don’t know what to say, so I’m not going to say anything. Wait, that’s rude and rude isn’t me. I don’t need to stoop down to the level of EVERYBODY else on this planet.
“I’m hungry too, Jimmy. We’ve got to wait for Platinum before we eat though.”
“ Stop being such a suck up. Let’s go eat. I’m sure your craving cheese, rat boy.”
He did not seriously just call me rat boy. One, I’m the only one with the skills to use the hoverboards to travel 50 miles away to visit a restaurant. Two, he and I both know that I am not a rat. I feel that burning sensation again, only this time it’s in my face. I can feel my face turning red. I’m blushing. Yeah Timmy, look at this. BLUSHING. That’s something H-U-M-A-N-S do! My fingers are digging into my hands like talons. I need to get myself under control. My temper is what got me kicked off of my own planet. I can’t afford to get kicked off of this one.
“I’m not a suck up nor am I a rat. I wish you would respect me.”
IT is taking every inch of my being to focus on controlling my temper. If I’ve learned anything I know disrespecting those with power can screw you over. Ha, that’s why we’re all here in Fantasia fighting the rich and omnipotent GEM members. Wait, Timmy’s mouth is still moving. This guy is always drunk. Right now he’s destroying my favorite chair. Didn’t anyone ever teach him how to sit? I hope he falls and cracks his skull open.
“Rat boy, are you listening? Let’s go out to Deville’s for dinner, Platinum hasn’t brought back food yet. I need to sober up before he does.”
“No we have to wait for Platinum. He’ll come back. We’re his crew. We always stick together”.
Getting him to sober up didn’t seem like a bad idea. The whole group suffers when Platinum catches Timmy drunk. It used to confuse me when Platinum would get overwhelmingly angry with Timmy but I realized why alcoholism bothered him so much. He lost both of his parents to alcoholism mentally first, and then they both died of kidney failure. I remember that conversation like it was yesterday.
“I wanted to become something” Platinum sighed, “they never did. I have a need to be better than them.” I understood where he was coming from. Of course I have never experienced something like that but I am familiar with sympathy.
The stench of Timmy’s alcohol ridden breath has further entered my nose. He’s wafting the scent into my nose because he’s flailing his arms. The drunk can’t stop his limbs from moving. He’s almost as disgusting as the GEM lizards.
“Rat boy, that’s the biggest load of crap I’ve heard all day. You don’t know anything about crew, let alone family. We are going out. You’re paying and driving. These are my orders as your superior.”
Even though Platinum is my friend he still places humans and “normal” aliens in a higher rank than me. There isn’t much I can do about it so I will not complain. All I know is that I have no choice but to comply with Timmy’s wishes. What the hell? My whiskers are bending. There’s water on them. Oh, I’m crying. A dark green spot is forming on my clothes. I know he sees me crying. He probably enjoys this. Timmy is one of those people who enjoys the pain of others. Okay self, okay. Get yourself together.
“I’ll get the hover board. Let’s go.”

Patel sits by the green willow tree of Fantasia. His bright red eyes can be seen from all angles, which should be impossible, but there is something…different about this being. Earthlings used to believe earth was designed for them and for them only but with the turn of the century everything people wrote about in books and all the things kids said they saw at night became a reality. There is no longer a separation between reality and the imaginary. Mankind believed they could control these foreign beings, but they were wrong. These foreigners were and ARE superior to humans. The earth is being ruled by something humans once praised and now everyone lives in fear.
In the eyes of most Patel is something to fear and despise. Men love to place blame upon others. Hitler blamed the Jews following World War One a couple of centuries ago; History repeats itself. The shoulders of Patel are hunched over. Not only from carrying bags of army gear through the never ending swamps, but from carrying the blame. Humans blame those who appear mutated for the GEM takeover and unfortunately Patel is a mutant. It is Patel’s fault human supremacy is now a source of humor.
Each day Patel sits by the willow tree and each day no one approaches him. He always sits alone. He has no book to occupy his time, no body to ease the pain. Platinum engages him in discussion, but never in public. The lieutenant is afraid to lose his reputation by publicizing his relationship with Patel, so he talks to him under the cover of the night. Patel’s race of mutant is the oldertek, which are a group of organisms known for socialization and kindness. Patel has a difficulty with kindness, but not to the same extent as humans. In all of his days Patel has aimed to do no harm. The lack of socialization is destroying Patel mentally. His reason for existence is being rendered moot on earth. Who can live life if they are deemed irrelevant?
Today is September sixth and no one has eaten in a week and a half. The over dramatic humans exclaim hour after hour that the extinction of mankind is near simply because they currently have no food. Typical. Of course they are not going to starve, but soldiers need to eat soon. Platinum went in search of food. It is his responsibility to fend for his men, or so he believes. Within a ten mile radius there is a single freezer accessible to everyone which holds tons of food. The only problem is that a portal is disguised in the freezer. Platinum has fallen and no one knows about it. The leader of Fantasia is now gone.
Due to extreme hunger the men are becoming testy, especially Timmy. Timmy s secretly a mutant and goes out of his way to be racist towards other mutants to disguise his identity. In his efforts to dissolve his identity he has become an alcoholic and he therefore wreaks havoc among the campsite. Today, Jimmy is on a rampage and his destination is Patel. He shouts all of the words listed taboo worldwide. He seeks to make others cry, he seeks to make others feel the pain that he feels. The disdain in his voice can make even a grown man cry, but no one intervenes. Intervention is too difficult here or so the soldier’s claim. Nothing is impossible, but the men do not care about a different species. Some human traits never change. If only these men knew that Patel is the only one who can stop GEM.

The author's comments:
To Be Continued.

Uhmmm, where am I? I’m sure not in Fantasia anymore. I ripped my favorite pair of green and black camouflage pants. I’ve been through so much in these pants and I have a feeling I’m about to go through something big. Blood is seeping through them too and I feel a stinging feeling around my ribcage. I need to find some help. I need to be healthy so I can help my men. I need to feed them. We need to defeat GEM. Fantasia needs me, Patel needs me. Patel. I don’t know what is going on between us. I talk all the time about how it’s good to be accepting but I’m afraid to see him during the day. I can’t tell anyone the real reason I don’t see him in day light. It’s not because I’m embarrassed to associate with a mutant, that’s not the problem. I am having difficulty accepting myself. I think I’m in love with him. I’m in love with a mutant. That’s something you don’t hear very often. I’ve been around so long that homophobia has come and been discarded of, but it’s still so difficult. I can’t think about this right. I need to get out of this place, but gosh it’s so pretty here. The trees are gigantic, reaching 50 feet into the air. Breathing comes easily to me and I almost feel intoxicated, at peace. This is something new. All of the buildings are lined with solar panels and the streets are made of non-reflecting glass. F*** my life. I’m in GEM territory. Maybe this is an opportunity for infiltration...but I don’t have any back up. Maybe I can call Patel. Wait, that won’t work. Electric connections between Fantasia and GEM territory were cut off by Thompson, Ship and Travers. They make sure the espionage is impossible and I’ve got to give it to them but they’re pretty good at what they do.
“Hey, you.”
Great. Someone’s found me. You’d think with all my army training I would have thought to hide in a city full of security and GEM followers but nope, I’m being my stupid old self.
“Put your hands up where I can see them.”
“At least I’ve got hands.” Good one self, let’s make the man…thing more angry than he already is. I’m on a roll today. What his doing? He’s pointed the stun gun at me now. He’s going to take me down. God help me. Oh wait, we already disproved his existence. I’m screwed.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.