odishka | Teen Ink

odishka

By these-roses GOLD, bristol, Indiana
these-roses GOLD, Bristol, Indiana

so many books, so little time

Dish walked through the crowds of the castle village. The purple flags cracked in the strong wind that swept through the streets of the market. Drawing the wool coat tighter around her, Dish went inside the butchers hut. The room smells strongly of dried blood and freshly cut meat. The fire in the center of the room warmed her pale face. Taking off her mitten she opened her pouch and pulled out two silver coins. Dish let her strait brown hair out of her cap and walked to the counter.

“Hello Damian.” She said to the boy behind the counter. “Two pounds please.”
“Two pounds you say? Not much for five people and Friends.” He replied flipping his bangs out of his eyes.

“We have bread and cheese as well. It’s a special day you know.” Dish said shyly

“Oh yes! You turn fourteen today don’t you?” he winked at her making her blush

He went into the storage room and got two pounds of meat then packaged it up. Coming back to the counter, he wrote something down on a pad of parchment. “Two Silvers, mi ’lady.”

“I have it right here,” she said “and I’m not a princess.”
“Aren’t you?” he winked again, he leaning closer he whispered “there’s a bit extra meat in there. Not much but it will be more filling than two pounds.”
Dish looked at him in horror. “I can’t take this! I asked for two pounds no more, no less. It would be stealing otherwise!”

“No one has to know, besides, you said yourself it was a special day.”
“Okay…thanks so much Damian!” she called as she turned to the door.
Stepping out into the freezing cold, she put her mittens back on and wrapped her scarf around her neck. Walking quickly she weaved her way around the pedestrians and out of the market.
Snow crunched under her feet as more fell on her boots. Once out of the market the streets grew quiet, only the falling snow crossed her path. The little stone houses were dull grey with black shutters. Walking on the narrow road to her house she thought of the day ahead of her. It was the most exciting and the most terrifying day for any fourteen year old.
At the end of the road was a small stone house. Steam rose up from the chimney and she heard the laughter of her parents and siblings. Pushing her way through the door, she has immediately wrestled into the bear hug of Daisy, her little sister. Smiling she picked her sister up and twirled her around, blond hair flying.
Daisy giggled and squealed. “Dishy! Put me down Dishy!” smiling at the nickname her sister had given her, she plopped her down. Dish’s real name was Odishka, but that was too much of a mouthful. Her older brother, Jay, riffled her hair
“Hey short stack.” He said
Dish ducked out of his grip and lightly smacked his short black hair. Her mother walked into the room and smiled, “Odishka, Jay, come help me in the kitchen.” Striping her winter clothes she walked into the kitchen and hung them by the fire.
“Where are our Friends and dad?” she asked
“They are at the castle getting everything ready!’ said Mrs. Munchkey
Her brother took out the meat. He picked it up and inspected it. “I thought we were getting two pounds. We did you get the rest?”
“Damian’s treat.” She murmured

“Sweet on you is he?” jay said with a kissy face
“Shut it, jay” she felt herself blush
“Do you like him? Did you hold his hand? Kiss him? Is he going to be your future husband?” he teased
“JAY!” she shrieked
“Fine, fine. Just want to know, it the job of the brother to protect his sister.” He winked and cut up the meat.
Slapping the back of his head she went to the fire and re-positioned her clothes. He mother came over to her “so what’s this I hear about the butcher’s son?” she smiled
“Nothing! He just gave me a little extra meat for my birthday.”

“Really? What I hear is that he really is sweet on you. He’s a nice boy…”
“Mother!” she said exasperated
After stewing the meat with spices and noodles over the fire they set the table. Putting the bowl of bread on the table as well as the cheese, their father walked through the door.
“Daddy!” screamed Daisy running to the door

“There’s my little girl!” he said smoothing her hair
Looking up he said “Everything at the castle is ready. There are three other birthdays today.”
After their father, three creatures walked in. They were about three feet long from nose to hip, plus another foot of tail, with big bat-like wings varying in color, with gleaming scales and sharp black claws.
One was green with yellow plates that ran down his neck and belly all the way to its tail. His name was Sari. Next to him was the black with white plates, her name was Beyaz. The last was a smaller one that was black with red plates. His name was Kirmizi.
The dragons shook the snow off their scales and wiped their feet on the mat. Smiling Jay went to Kirmizi and held out and arm. Kirmizi scrambled up and perched on her brother’s shoulder. Her mother held her hand out to Beyaz while her father held out an arm for Sari.
“I’m so excited!” cried Kirmizi “I’m going to have a new friend!”
“Excited? I’m petrified. What if a dragon doesn’t choose me?” Dish said quietly
“Oh, phish posh,” Scolded Beyaz “Any dragon would be lucky to be you Friend.”
They walked into the kitchen were they sat down at the table. Talking and laughing they enjoyed their meal. With her belly warm and full she sat back in her chair and imagined her dragon. She always wished she would have a blue and green dragon. But her father said that there was no such thing, but she still wished it was real.
“Odishka, we must get you ready for the ceremony!” her mother smiled “come along!”
Getting up from the table she walked down the hall to a little room that was her bedroom. Her mother pushed open the door while Dish followed her in. Daisy, who never liked being left out, came in as well. Daisy settled down on Dish’s bed while Dish took as seat in the wooden chair. Her mother took out a comb and groomed her hair.
Dish had always loved her hair. It was shiny and soft all the time and was easy to take out tangles. The warm chocolate color accented her face well. She had big brown eyes that occasionally changed color. And full lips that her mother always wished she had had.
“Wow, your beautiful…” Daisy sighed blue eyes wide
“Not as beautiful as you, doodlebug.”

Her mother went over to the closet and pull out a gown. It was white with gold embroidery. With long sleeves that opened up into hoops at the wrists. A corset with gold vines with gold flowers sewed into it. It might have been the most beautiful dress she had ever seen.

“Mother, where did you get it! It must have cost a fortune.” Dish exclaimed

“I made it, it didn’t cost anything but two Silvers.” Her mother said proudly

“I call it when I turn fourteen!” Daisy cried

Taking off her normal garments she stepped into the gown. Her mother tied the white silk strings on the corset so tight it was hard to breathe. But when she looked into the mirror she gasped. It was more beautiful on than when it was on the rack.

“I still need to put your hair up. Sit down again.”
Struggling to sit down again her mother combed her hair. Then she took out the curling iron that she had put near the fire to get it hot. She curled the bottom portion then flattened the top of her hair and pinned it into place.
Makeup was not common it the time period she lived in. It was rare, but when her mother was little she had bought a makeup kit for her children and their children and their children. It was only to be used on the fourteenth birthday.
After a few hours they were finally done. Looking in the mirror, there seemed to be a different person. The gown was perfect and fit wonderfully. Her hair was beautiful and her eyes were accented by the makeup. Her lips were bright red while her eye lids had a soft shade of brown.
“You look like a princess!” Daisy squeaked
Dish looked over at her mother to find tears in her eyes. She blew her nose in a handkerchief and dabbed her eyes. She sighed “Alright now out with you, I need to get daisy and myself ready.”
Walking out into the main room she was swarmed by three dragons. Smiling at their comments she went to the kitchen where her father was waiting. Her brother was sitting at the table drawing on a pad of parchment while her dad paced the kitchen floor.
“oh mon fille! You look beautiful.” He smiled and hugged her
“Daddy! I can’t breathe as it is! Let me go.”
Releasing her from his grip he held an arm out to Sari and the green dragon flew to his master. Walking out of the room they talked quietly.
“Well, now I’ll have to scare this Damian guy off. He won’t be able to take his eyes off you.” Her brother commented
“You wouldn’t dare.”
“Ah-ha! I knew you liked him!” he smiled
“Shut up jay.” Punching him in the arm
Looking over his shoulder as he drew, the details came into place. He was drawing Dish in her dress. Looking at him with surprise he smiled. “I figured you boyfriend would want to capture you like this.”
Dish stuck out her tongue and nudged her older brother.
Soon after, her mother came into the room in a plain blue gown that was trimmed in white, her hair pinned up into a bun. Daisy had little curls in her yellow blonde hair. Her cheeks had a tiny amount of blush on them and she grinned in her lilac purple dress.
Her father came out after them, wearing a long black jacket with a dress shirt on with black slacks. The dragons had their finest jewelry on. Jay put on his brown jacket and dress shoes.
“It’s time.” Beyaz said perching on her mother’s shoulder
Her mother handed her long wool gloves and a hooded cape. Tying the string under her neck she walked outside. Butterflies fluttered in her stomach and the cold made it harder to breathe. The snow crunched under her golden heels.
Everyone in the market had their finest clothed on with their dragons on their shoulders or arms. Some of the elder’s dragons walked on the ground, some reaching the height of four feet.
Wherever they went the crowd stopped to look at Odishka. Soon they came upon the butchers shop; it was the closest to the castle as any of the shops. The door opened and Damian and his father walked out. Damian looked at her and froze, following her with his eyes.
Jay smirked and shoved the drawing into his arms. Then pointed at his fist with a sneer in his face. Giggling Dish walked faster.
The castle wall was more than thirty feet high and about ten feet thick. The Iron Gate rose as they walked toward it. The court yard was beautiful. Snow covered the ground and the trees. Snow roses bloomed on bushes while the trees were coated with ice. The court yard was bigger than the entire market so it could fit the entire village. In the center were four eggs. All of them were white with swirling grey patterns. They were on pedestals three feet high. The eggs were the size of footballs.
“One of those is going to be mine...” she thought
The butterflies in her stomach were now flying for their lives. Her heart beat faster and faster.
“You have to go stand in front of them.” Jay said nudging her
She looked at her brother with wide eyes “I’m scared.” She whispered
“I know, but everything is going to be fine. Now go on.” waving her off
Slowly she walked through the crowds of people streaming into the castle. They all parted way for her looking and whispering as she went by. The crowd was quiet, knowing that the dragons in the eggs hated noise.
Soon she stood in front of the eggs staring at them with wide eyes. Wondering what would be hers in the next hour. Then and only then would she be a women, not a girl. Old enough to have a boyfriend, to marry. Not that she wanted to marry yet. Not until she was older.
Soon three other girls came to stand by her. All of them wearing beautiful dresses, but Dish’s out shone everyone’s. They were all scared and excited and nervous.
Soon the entire village had gathered. From high above was a balcony. Where the king and queen sat overlooking The Hatching. Their sixteen year old daughter sat beside the king glaring down at them. Her dragon wrapped around her neck, purple and black.
“Welcome dearest village. We are pleased to inform you that there will be four new adults joining us in this hour. These dragons will choose their masters today. I hope they choose well.” The king announced “my dragon Chaux has informed me that the hatchlings will break their shell in the coming minutes. Let The Hatching begin!”
Once again looking at the eggs they waited in tense silence. Nothing made a sound except the occasional breeze. Then there was a tiny cracking sound. The eggs shook and trembled. Dish held her breath knowing what was coming. The eggs cracked and light spilled out the openings.
Then there was a loud pop and the shell of the eggs flew out in all directions. In front of them were dragons. About two feet long with a six inch tail. Wings that were tiny but would grow fast and large to carry them in the air. There was a blue and grey dragon, a white and brown, a silver and gold, and a chocolate brown and green.
The hatchlings looked at the humans before them. The white and brown dragon let out a cheerful cry to the sky then leaped down and went to the red head with the green dress. There was cheering and applause from the audience. Next the blue and grey dragon trilled a note and leaped toward the girl with the navy blue dress. More cheers went to her.
The remaining two dragons looked at the humans as if choosing their breakfast. Dish gulped down her fear and looked them in the eyes. The silver and gold lifted his head and roared to the sky then jumped down and walked over to her.
Extending her arm, the dragon jumped up and perched on her shoulder. Laughing with joy the silver and gold dragon nuzzled her with his nose. Then a whispery voice said “I am Emas.”
“Hello Emas, I’m Odishka.” She introduced herself
Emas said no more as the village came over to congratulate them. The village people shook her hand or bowed. Blushing at the gestures she tickled her dragons chin. Soon the village filed out of the castle’s court yard. Soon her family came over.
“Odishka! Oh my darling girl!” her mother hugged her so hard she couldn’t breathe. “And you dragon! What a beauty he is.”
Emas heard the comment and puffed out his chest “His name is Emas.”
Her father hugged her and admired her dragon. Silver was his main color, with gold spikes and plating. He had two little horns on the top of his head.
Jay put and arm around his sister. “So my little sister, isn’t little anymore. And uh, I think someone is here to see you.” He said glaring to the left of him
Standing awkwardly with his hands in his pockets was Damian. Seeing her look at him he smiled, then look at the ground when he saw her brother.
Shoving her brother’s arm off, she walked over to him. Her dragon stiffened and leaned forward to see where they were going. He chirped then wrapped his tail around her neck and his head on her shoulder.
“Hello Damian, Soleil.” His dragon clung to his waist she was golden yellow with red plating.
“Dish, congratulations. You’ve got the handsome one.” He said shyly
“Yes, I suppose I did. And uh, sorry about my brother. He’s just teasing really…”
“Well he’s a brother. It’s what they do.” He didn’t meet her gaze “so uh…er…do… do you want to come to dinner tomorrow?”
“ I’d love too.” She said with the butterflies coming back
His eyes shot up full of hope “really? Uh, okay. How about seven. I’ll walk you over to my house.”
“See you then.” She said as she watched his head of brown hair disappear into the village. Walking back she saw her brother watching the gate cracking his knuckles. “Stop it!”
“Dinner? Really, that’s the best he can do?” he said slyly
“How did you know?” she asked angrily, Emas chirped in agreement
Jay pointed at Kirmizi, who was perched on his shoulder.
“You little spy!” she said half amused half annoyed
Walking home Emas crawled down from his perch and let her cradle him in her arms. Dish never thought she could love a creature so quickly. It was like they were meant to be together. His silver hide reflected like a mirror so he looked almost white. Puffs of smoke billowed out of his nostrils as he slept. The other three dragons watched him with interest. For it had been four years since another dragon had joined the family. “He’s so small.” Said beyaz with a tender voice
“But so strong.” Said Sari
“He has a fancy for Soleil already. Don’t blame the guy, quiet a looker she is.” Said Kirmiri snickering
“Yeah and my sister has a thing for her master.” Said Jay grumpily
Dish rolled her eyes and walked away from all the noise and up to her mother and father. Her father put a hand on her shoulder “I’m sorry you older sister wasn’t here to see it. She says she will be here next week, she could get off work then.”
“I know, she has to raise her family. I’m fine with it.” She hesitated “Damian invited me to dinner tomorrow.”
“Do I have to get my knifes out?” her father asked seriously
“Oh daddy! Not you too! I already have Jay on my case. I don’t need another.” She exclaimed stirring her baby dragon
“I’m joking, I’m joking. Sheesh.”
Her mother looked down at her “well, I like Damian. He’s very nice; I think it’s wonderful you are having dinner with him. Wouldn’t mind having a son in law,” she smirked “or a daughter in law!” she called to jay
“I’m working on it!” he yelled back.

She felt a tug on her skirts. Looking down was Daisy staring up at her with big blue eyes “can I hold him?”
“Let him curl around your neck. He keeps you warm.” Holding her dragon so he could see a new perch, he sleepily slid onto Daisy’s shoulder.
She giggled “He tickles.” Then very carefully stroked his nose and walked in front of her. After a few minutes they reached the house and bustled inside. Dish took Emas into her room so he could doze on her bed. Her mother helped her out of her dress and took down her hair. Changing into her night gown she went to the kitchen with Emas waking on her shoulder.
Sitting down at the dinner table they ate the left overs of that lunch. Plus they had a rare dessert that was only made when someone turned fourteen. It was chocolate chip cookies. It was hard to find the supplies and cost a fortune to get. And even harder to find an oven to bake it in. But somehow her mother had managed to get them.
Smiling as the warm chocolate spread over her tongue she handed a piece to the now awake Emas, Who gobbled it up greedily. Licking his lips with his forked tongue he scrambled onto the table by her plate, and licked the crumbs.
“yum, anymore?” he whispered in her ear
“ no Emas. We ate them all.” She replied
Emas chirped sadly and hopped onto the floor. “Play?” he asked Kirmiri who whistled a reply
Running out of the kitchen the two dragons tussled in the main room. Following, Dish laid on the floor watching them play. She must have fallen asleep some time later, because she was awoken by a hand on her shoulder. Looking up to see Beyaz shoeing her into her bed. With Emas on her shoulder she shoved her way through the door and crawled under her covers. She liked the sound of Emas’s breathing beside her and soon fell asleep.

FlameSeeker373 SILVER, Richmond, Texas

"...Magic is just science that we don't understand yet..."

Arthur C. Clark

I LOVED it!! Keep writing. There were a few mistakes as we're said before and you changed between first and third persons. But great job. :) XD

WhenItRains21 GOLD, Magnolia, Texas

Well I like the idea, and the characters are done nicely, but your sentences are a bit choppy. I would go with longer sentences and more description. Also, there were a lot of grammar mistakes, mostly with quotations and caplitalization.

That said, with a bit of polishing this would be a really neat piece!