2 Months | Teen Ink

2 Months

By shootingSTARR_3 BRONZE, Hannibal, Ohio
shootingSTARR_3 BRONZE, Hannibal, Ohio

-"Be the change you want to see in the world."

-Gandhi
-"They can do least who boast loudest."

-Latin proverb
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view.” ~Harper Lee.
“A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.” ~Ayn Rand

Author's note: This isn't one of my best stories. And frankly, I'm okay with it if absolutely no one likes it. I'm just doing something I love. Writing. I hope you like it anyway.

Zane and I have only been dating a few months, I never expected it to go this far. I was in love with Cole 4 months ago. Then he broke up with me. I started dating a lot of guys after that. I tried to get my mind off of him. I couldn’t think about his soft eyes or his tender kisses. I couldn’t think about the way he used to tell me he loved me. I went on pointless dates for a month or two, with guys I knew I would never like. They asked me, I agreed. Then one day Zane asked me out, I had never seen him much at school before. He was in my Spanish and math classes, but I never talked to him. I’ll never forget the way he smiled when I said yes. My eyes had always just swept over him, never taking the time to look. I never knew he had bright blue eyes or a freckle just above his right cheek bone.
But now, Zane is my whole life. We’ve been dating for 3 months and 2 weeks. He reminds me every day. 4 and a half months ago I would’ve still pictured myself with Cole. I would’ve pictured us at the “Star Dance” we’re having at school next month. Although Cole wasn’t my first love, I thought he would be my last. Zane makes me really happy. I didn’t even like him at first. On our first date I realized how sweet and gentle he can be, even though he plays most sports. After that I was just kind of swept into his world. I forgot every other boy in the world, and focused on Zane.

Zane is supposed to pick me up in ten minutes to go see what everyone else says is the hottest movie of the year. I left my hair wavy and did my make-up the same as always. I don’t feel like I need to impress him anymore. I’m wearing a Hollister shirt with a leather jacket and skinny jeans with my heeled boots. I slide on the ring Zane got me for our 2 month anniversary and the plastic one we got out of the machine at the bowling alley. I grab my purse and walk down the stairs.
My parents aren’t home, they barely ever are. They both work long hours but spend time together after work and meet up with friends. Most nights they come home drunk and have a hangover in the morning. I learned to make my own dinner and take money from the jar on the counter to go to the store. I have a job and use most of my money to pay the bills, buy new clothes, and buy my luxuries. I wait by the door for Zane to pull up.
Most of my old boyfriends used to just honk when they got there, but Zane came all the way up to the door and knocked. He opened the car door for me and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek.
“Well you look cute.” He says.
“Awe thanks.” I say.
“So about the movie…I kind of invited some of the guys and their girlfriends to meet us there.” He says.
I think about this for a moment. “Oh um that’s cool.” I try to sound excited about the jocks and their snooty girlfriends meeting us at the movies.
He looks over at me. “I’m sorry but they asked me if I was taking you and I didn’t want to seem rude so I asked them if they wanted to come too.” He grabs my hand, driving with the other.
“It’s okay. They’ll keep to themselves anyway.” I try to sound happy, for him.
He doesn’t buy it but doesn’t say anything either.
When we get to the theater Michael and Chase are standing by the entrance with one arm around their girlfriends, Hailey and Maddie. They’re joking around and laughing while Hailey and Maddie are standing with their fancy touchscreen phones, texting away. They’re both wearing short skirts and heels, even if it is early February. They have too much make-up on and they smell like hairspray and expensive perfume.
Zane runs around the car and opens the door for me. He holds out his hand and I take it. We walk hand in hand to Michael, Chase, Hailey, and Maddie.
“Finally.” Says Hailey, barely glancing up from her compact mirror.
I ignore her comment and smile instead.
“Hey man.” Says Michael, giving Zane a “bro hug”. Chase does the same.
We eventually pay for our tickets and get popcorn, which Hailey and Maddie refuse to eat. We sit somewhat close to the screen, a few rows in front of us. Chase sits on the end with Maddie, then Hailey, Michael, and Zane and myself. Zane immediately puts his arm around me, but Michael and Chase just sit there, and for once Hailey and Maddie are jealous of me.
“Put your arm around me.” She commands.
Maddie is more like Hailey’s little rag doll than her best friend. Chase puts his arm around Maddie as soon as Michael does to Hailey.
After the movie, Zane suggests we go out for ice cream.
“How about frozen yogurt?” Says Hailey.
“Um okay.” Says Zane, thinking that it’s practically the same thing.
We meet back up at the little frozen yogurt place. We all sit down at a table. Zane’s arm slides around my back.
“So Kameron, what’s all this talk about you dumping Cole?” Asks Hailey, a manicured nail resting on her cheek.
Zane’s arm tightens around me.
I look down. “Hailey, that was months ago and I wouldn’t ever dump him.” I say.
“So were you upset when it happened? Is that why you dated so many guys after that? To forget about him?” Says Hailey, digging her way into my love life.
“You know what, I think there’s better things to talk about.” I try to smile.
“Yeah how ‘bout that game last night?” Says Zane.
“I’ll find out one day Jones.” She whispers harshly.
My friends call me Kam and Kami, but some people still call me Kameron. Most girls at my school call me Kami. Guys call me Jones, my last name.
“Yeah dude did you see that hit?” Says Michael in response to Zane’s attempt to change the subject.
“Yeah dude Martinez is out for the season.” Says Zane.
“Really? Man he was their only shot.” Says Chase.
Zane, Michael, and Chase go on about a football game last night, Hailey and Maddie chat about a new clothing line coming out, and I just kinda sit there. I check my phone and go on Facebook for a while. Nothing new. I get bored and impatient. Zane finally says we should be going. We both stand up and he takes my hand. We say bye and wave to Michael, Chase, Hailey, and Maddie. Zane walks me to the car and again opens the door for me.
“Well, that was something.” He says when he sits down and brushes a stray hair away from my face.
“Worst date ever.” I say.
“I know, and I’m sorry. I really am Kami.” He says. He takes both of my hands in his.
“I know, and it’s not your fault.” I say. “Hailey gets under my skin.”
“I know, I never should’ve invited them. I’ll make it up to you. I promise.” He says.
“Okay.” I smile. Zane spoils me.
He leans in and kisses me. Part of him is saying ‘I’m sorry’ and the other part says ‘I love you’.
“Okay time to go.” I say.
“Come on Kam. One more.” He grins.
I smile into his kiss and let him kiss me instead. His kisses trail to my neck, and I push him away and give him a kiss that says ‘just go’. He looks at me but doesn’t push any further. When I want to stop he doesn’t make me do anything I don’t want to. Not that I don’t love Zane’s kisses, I don’t want to go farther than we need to.

The next night Zane took me out to a fancy restaurant an hour away. He said I had to wear a fancy evening dress. I wasn’t too enthused, but I’ll do anything for him. He wore a tux, and I was surprised. We pulled up at a fancy hotel, and it looked expensive. He led me inside to a table. After we ate he took me to a ballroom, where we danced. After a while he whispered in my ear that there was a surprise waiting for me. I let him take me outside to a balcony. He looked at his watch and told me to look at the sky. I looked up at the star-filled sky. The moon shone on the river. A few seconds later there were fireworks going off across the river that read “I love you.” I smiled and watched as sparks flew and landed on the water. After they were all over I turned to Zane.
“I love you too.” I said.

He kissed me softly, but it didn’t end that way. He finally pulled away from my mouth.
“We’d better go Kam.” He said.
“Okay.” I said.
We walked inside through the French doors and everyone seemed to stare at us as we walked holding hands through the ballroom. I thought about the dress I was wearing. I borrowed it from my mother, and therefore it probably showed a little too much cleavage. After we got in the car I asked Zane why they were staring at us.
“You’re just so darn beautiful.” He said.
I blush.

There were policeman at my house that night when Zane dropped me off. They were parked in my drive-way and by the curb. I got out and ran up to the door. Zane ran after me. A policeman was standing there.
“Kameron Price?” He asked.
I shook my head.
“Ms. Price, we’ve taken your parents to jail. We must take you to a foster care facility.” He said.
“What? No, you can’t do this. I’ve practically been living on my own since I was 13. I’m turning 18 next month, please let me stay.” I begged.
“You’re turning 18 next month?” He asked. “From the few records we have of you it says you’re 15.” He looks me up and down. “You sure don’t look 15.”
He walks a few feet away to another police officer. They talk for a few minutes.
“Don’t let them take me away.” I turn to Zane and lean on him.
He encloses me in his arms. “I won’t.” He says.
The police officer walks back to us. “Ms. Price, since you will be a legal citizen the next month, we won’t put you in a foster family. We will periodically check up on you.” He says.
“Thank you.” I say, looking up at the officer with admiration.
He nods his hat at me. “Come on guys, move out.” He says loudly.
All of the police officers file out of my house. “There’s alcohol in the liquor cabinet, the back of the fridge, and some under the sink.” Reports an officer. “Nothing in the girl’s room. That her?” He asked, pointing to me.
The officers behind him are carrying out all of the alcohol.
I never touched Mom and Dad’s alcohol, no matter how many times they said it was okay. I knew better than that. Sometimes they smoked, but they only kept cigarettes with them.
“Yes. She’s almost 18.” Says the officer.
“Well let’s get out of here then.” He says.
They all leave, Zane and I standing by the door.
“Stay with me for a while?” I ask him.
“Of course.” He smiles.
We walk inside, taking cautious steps. Although the police officers looked through everything, they left it as it was. I walk around the house taking inventory. Everything seems to be here.
“Everything’s here.” I say. “I’ll be right back. I have to get this dress off.” I say.
“Hurry back.” Says Zane.
I prance back to my room and put on jean shorts and a t-shirt. I put my hair in a bun and take off all of my make-up. I grab an old t-shirt of my Dad’s for Zane. I toss it on his lap. “You don’t look like yourself.” I say with a laugh.
He grins. I sit down beside him. He takes off his jacket, tie, and dress shirt. His toned muscles flex at the least movement. My thoughts are interrupted when he pulls the shirt over his head.
He turns right to me. He tickles me stomach. I laugh and squirm. I do this until his face is face-to-face with mine. “Kiss me Kam.” He says.
He kisses me hard, but it’s not like he’s forcing me. I’m kissing him back.

The next morning I wake up, Zane is lying beside me. He’s sleeping like a baby, so I remove his arm from my waist and sit up. Just by looking at him I know everything will be okay. I smile and lie back down.

on Apr. 19 2012 at 4:45 am
sherrinford SILVER, Hong Kong, Other

People die all the time.

Pretty darn good, I'd say. I like the way you go straight to the point about everything. And I also like the tone of Kami, its very normal and girly. Lots of female protagonists in books try to sound like they have sooo much attitude and they're the saddest and most pathetic person in the world. 

And yet the sweetest thing is that Kami isn't perfect. Look at all those guys she dated!

(PS: Can you also check out on a novel of mine? It's called Two of a Kind. And keep uploading new chapters to this book! :D)

Vanner96 said...
on Apr. 17 2012 at 11:43 am
Vanner96, Locust Grove, Georgia

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. ~Romans 12:2

#1) I get to be the first one to comment so YAY! haha

#2) UPDATE ASAP!!! Thanks  :) LOL It was great! Please keep writing!

LOKSA said...
on Apr. 17 2012 at 9:34 am
WRITE MORE!