I am Between Worlds | Teen Ink

I am Between Worlds

April 8, 2012
By Mz_LoverBee304 BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan
More by this author
Mz_LoverBee304 BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies. ~Edna St. Vincent Millay~


Author's note: I am in love with Vampires and Werewolves so i decided to make a whole story about those creatures. i believe they are real and out there somewhere. lol

The author's comments:
this isnt all. i just got to think up some more drama! thanks for reading.

THE WIND WAS BRUSHING UP against the back of my neck. It was carrying me all the way down the block and around corners. I didn’t appreciate the support because I was independent and needed neither any help nor company from an “invisible friend” to walk to school. I was forcing myself against its harsh rage. The unruly bites on my back. Its stings through my brown hair were unpleasant yet enjoyable. Since the Gondi family adopted me, I still wasn’t use to the rough, sharp pain that the wind and rain of fall gave me when I would walk outside the house or any building for that matter.
My mom is part Native American and her tribe was taught to listen to the winds and rushing waters, for those are our older fathers, but that is not easy to do if you’re me or in my world. Here, if you are seen talking to the wind or water, you are considered special or mentally crazy. My mother said water was the dreams of our people and wind was the guidance. Nevertheless, that was only a legend and this was the twenty-first century.
When my grandmother was young, around 18 of age, she married a solider in the Texas Calvary that had beauty of a pearl and smarts of a turtle she claimed. She loved him so much even though her tribe didn’t approve of their love. She had five kids that were all part native. However, her husband died right after the fifth one’s second birthday, my mom’s birthday. When my grandmother passed at age 89, my mom finally believed in the stories that her mother told her when she was younger. Back when she was five, my mom believed that the stories were un-real or their purpose was to calm her nerves, which they did. She tried to get me to listen, but it didn’t sound appealing.
Later on, she believed in the stories and legends of her tribe, but my dad thought it was rumish, whatever that meant. He is French and never ever heard of any type of mythical creatures like the Weferin, a beast that was said to be able to shape shift into human form and make children with the same power for generations, or the Vatertu, said to steal the souls of loved ones and make them cold as the moon itself.

“Hey, Luna! Wait up.” I heard a familiar voice call me from behind. People call me Luna because my native name means cold moon or night Luna. My real name is Neyan-takel in my tribe language, but I prefer Moon or Luna.
The person who called me was no other than my best friend in the world.
“Hey you’re walking pretty fast. What’s the rush, loco?” I stared at him with love and affection, but also with a look that showed him, I was worried about him. Over the summer, he cut all his beautiful, gorgeous, brown hair and it has been a tradition not to cut your hair until you experienced a change. I never knew what the change was, but if you had to cut your hair, it must be uncomfortable. The women cut their hair into a short style, too.
He is also Native American like me, but he is a full native while I am only part. Aaron was gorgeous, smart, showed leadership, and, above all, his name was in two slots in my mind: best friend (bff) and boyfriend (bftle). I slipped my hand into his and we swung our arms all the way to school.
When we arrived at our school, I was happy to see that the people hadn’t change much since eleventh grade There was still the same teachers, jocks, cheerleaders, math geeks, science freaks, populars, 9th grade plastics, fresh meat (including Johnny Bright who has been in 9th grade for 2 years), and the one and only group of seniors who didn’t care about what people said or how they felt about them, whom I adored: my group/normals.
When I saw Kaytlin, Eli, Mike, Taylar, Jayden (she prefers Jayne after her grandmother’s name) and Kyle standing, I ran right over to them and gave a group hug. Aaron came wobbling over and they gave him hugs. Aaron wasn’t the hugging type but he made an exception for them and them ONLY. We all caught up telling each other about their individual summers.
My friends were all different in some ways. Kaytlin China wasn’t the smartest in the bunch, actually, I was, but she was the one with spirit and pep. She was the captain of the cheerleading squad and every boy with athletic abilities loved her but I knew she liked one of Aaron’s brothers; I wasn’t sure which one exactly because she flirted with each one of them.
Kyle is Kaytlin’s fraternal twin brother. He is the king of art and liked to be the envy of everyone’s attention in the art class he took at a nearby community center. He doesn’t like anyone in particular but he has been eyeing a girl named Joy that is in his calculus class.
Taylar Pratt is my second best friend. She knew me since second grade and introduced me to my first boyfriend, which was her cousin Stan. It didn’t work out after he moved to Rio with his family and his mother’s company. Taylar is actually trying to make a business for single people who want a mate. She has the money she just needs to get an approval after high school about the idea.
Eli Gertrude is musical. He plays guitar and keyboard. His mother used to be a singer when she was only thirteen years old. She was known all throughout the north of Michigan. Eli now lives with his brother who, unfortunately, teaches at our school. He doesn’t tell anyone because if they find out that his brother is the harsh gym teacher, his life is over. He isn’t seen much but we do not mind. He sometimes
Jayden Snicker is Kaytlin’s best friend. She helps Kaytlin study for simple test and hard test and never gets mad at Kaytlin for being so self-centered. Her only request is to be called Jayne since her grandmother pasted away a few years ago. She is nice and pleasant to all elder people she meets. She is part tree hugger and part businessperson. Jayne protest but knows how to keep a budget on signs and paint and shoes. She is so awesome to have around when you want to start a business.
Mike O’Neal is the athlete in the group. His father was a soccer player in Brazil and his mother was a tennis player for London. He finds it cool that his parents were on teams so he feels he should be on a team also, even though he likes poetry and writing stories. We have tried to convince him that he should say to his parents he wants to be a writer but it is not getting through to that big know-it-all head of his.
When we looked at our schedules and saw that they were pretty the same, we realized that it was as if we were all paired at some point in the day so we couldn’t get lonely.
The day went by fast. To me it felt like by the fifth pump of blood to my heart, I was in seventh period. By then, I was ready for anything, to bad Aaron wasn’t.
Aaron and I were about to sit down in the back when Aaron was called to the main office. His parents were there to talk to him for a reason I couldn’t figure out. I didn’t get why they couldn’t wait after last period. He was gone more than five minutes, so Mr. Chaos, our biology instructor, gave away his seat to some person that smelled sooooo good! The person was tall. About seven half feet. I tried to tell Mr. Chaos this seat was reserved but Mr. Chaos wouldn’t listen to me and forced the person into the reserved seat next to me.
The person smelled of sweet, mouthwatering, homemade vanilla cupcakes and his eyes were as black as the chairs we were sitting on. His dark hair was swooped into a messy styled Mohawk with a red streak on the left side. The way the light hit him was gorgeous. It was as a bunch of doves flew out of a cramp cage at the same time. He wore a red shirt with a leather jacket. I turned my head towards the board, kept from thinking about him, and focused on the real problem: what would Aaron say when he would walk in the room and see his seat stolen by a person as cute as himself? At the very moment I was thinking of him, he walked through the class door right before the bell rung. He already was burning with rage; anger, fiery. I could feel sharp pain on my side. Internally, I was being shot with needles and it was injecting me with poison.
“Oh! Mr. Vitaro. I didn’t know if you were coming back so I gave your seat that you were planning to sit in away. You may have the seat next to Germany. Move quickly now!”
He glanced at me in the back and I shrugged with a sad expression. He and I weren’t too thrilled about me being next to a person besides Aaron R. Vitaro or one of my other friends, and he wasn’t so thrilled to have to be seated next to the germiest kid in school named Germany (Coincidence of names? I think not!). He kept looking back at me and eyed the new person, but he relaxed little after a minute.
“Alright! Now, these are your permanent seats for this quarter. I hope you all chose wisely. If you or I don’t like the seat, I will move you.” Sometimes, I think Mr. Chaos is trying to make chaos at points where you want to shoot him. Sometimes I think violence can be the answer.

S***! Aaron is pissed. Oh, I hope this person knows how to deal with conflict. And how rude is he to not introduce himself. To be honest, I knew he would be a jerk when I saw those white hands and that wannabe punk rock star Mohawk. I just don’t like him already.
Unfortunately, the person next to me was smiling. As if read my mind, he turned to me and said, “Well, if you’re my bio partner for this quarter, I might as well introduce myself. Hi. I’m Vence.”
“I’m known as Luna.”
“So Luna, care to tell me what the deal is with the guy freaking out behind me?”
I stared in wonder. Aaron was definitely freaking out. “How can you see that? Your back is turned.”
“Um . . . the reflection is in your eyes. And might, I say, you have really pretty ones.”
“Oh, thank you,” I said blushing. “But that’s just my boyfriend. You’re actually in his seat that I had reserved for him.” Vence was so nice, gentle, and somewhat romantic. I could feel the needles slowly going away.
“Wow! It’s the 1st day of school and I already have an archenemy. New record for the world!” Vence then looked serious and said, “Look, I can talk to Mr. Chaos about moving my seat if …?”
“No. Don’t let him get to you already, Vence.” I interrupted, “Give him a week or so and he’ll be good. Trust me! So where are you from?”
“I’ve moved around a lot.” He sounded unsure where he came from. “I’ve been around the world. My dad is a biology researcher. He goes all around the world taking … blood samples and trying to find a medicine to cure diseases from people and animals. He’s been to Haiti, Africa, and South America. He says he wants to make the world a disease free place for people and blood.” He rolled his eyes.
We kept talking through biology class. Aaron was getting jealous by the minute. I knew exactly what he was thinking but I just ignored him. All the blood that was supposed to be inside his limbs was now in his face. His cheeks were as red as the healthiest red apples and getting redder. I had hardly heard the seventh period class bell ring. Aaron walked ferociously out of the room and waited for me outside the building door, I assumed since he was coming over my house.
Even though I knew Aaron would have a fit if I walked outside with Vence, I did it anyway. Vence’s life and travel stories were so amusing and interesting. I couldn’t peel my eyes from his face. His full lips were lushes; his black eyes were now a gray like the clouds that were rolling in; his Mohawk didn’t seem as stupid as I thought earlier. The punk rock style made me fall apart every time I thought about it. Then I paused and stared into his deep, depressing eyes then down at his red colored shirt. Did this mean I liked Vence?
“I have to go somewhere,” I said anxious to leave.
“Ok. I’ll see you tomorrow then!” He huried in the opposite direction of the door and disappered in the hallway crowd.
When I was outside, I saw my boyfriend leaning on the wall on the side of the school facing the woods. “Hey, Aaron! So, you’re still coming over my house to study and watch that movie I told you about, right?” He was looking like he was irritated at something . . . at me. I could feel the pain of needles in my side again.
“Luna, how could you just sit there giggling with him? Need I remind you that he took my place at our table?” He scoffed at me and walked into the woods toward his home on the other side of the woods.
To be honest, I liked him even more when he was walking away from me. His medium sized shoulders twisted slightly to the sides as he walked. His long hair used to flow behind him, but he cut it off. As I thought of this, of his handsome pleasures, I realized that he was halfway home, so I rushed after him.
When I finally caught up to him, I was out of breath and we were half way in the woods towards his house, which was down the street from my own. I thought silently to myself that he walks faster than any human I’ve known. For some strange reason, my grandmother’s stories popped a picture in my head of some creature I have never seen.
It was huge. It looked like a gigantic wolf. It was blazing with grace and had a silver glow to it. It was precious and looked fragile. I blinked three times to get the beast out of my head. I shook it out of my mind quickly forgetting it.
“I’m sorry,” I said sincerely, “I really did argue for you. He wouldn’t give in to my nagging.” Aaron stopped and turned too looked at me.
“How dumb do you think I am?”
“Hoping very dumb,” I said, joking of course. Everybody who knew me knew I never nagged or begged or even pleaded with anything or anybody. I had my pride and I never wanted to lose it.
He changed directions, headed for my backyard, and gave me a glance. I was relieved that he wasn’t mad at me anymore. When we arrived through my always-open back door, my annoying little sister, Cleo, popped up and gave Aaron a big hug. Cleo’s favorite person in the world is Aaron. Sometimes, I think she stalks him. When Aaron and I go walking, it’s always one orange-ish shrub around us, sometimes in front of us and I know it is her in the costume. Creepy Cleo as I always call her.
We studied until it was sunset. Since it was Thursday, my mom and dad went to their salsa lesson they just signed for that took place every Thursday. My mom said I could have one friend over to help watch Cleo, Tina, and Lyle. Of course, I chose Aaron to stay since he was already here. When they left, Tina fell asleep instantly like she always does. Little angel! She was always my favorite. Lyle played his video games until he fell asleep also. Cleo had to fall asleep between me and Aaron while watching our movie. We took her to sleep in her room where she stayed and, maybe even drowned in her blankets.
Aaron and I sat in the back room and watched a romantic-comedy, Aaron’s choice. By the end of the movie, we were fast asleep next to each other, holding each in our arms.
I didn’t want to wake up because I was having a wild, excruciating nightmare/good-mare.
I dreamt that I was on the beach. The day was sunny for once and nobody was around. I came from the water and I twisted my ankle. I was in serious pain. I called for help, but my voice was low and my throat hurt. Until I heard, footsteps on the beach (don’t ask how I heard footsteps on sand). It was Vence. He was wearing his black shirt with red print on it just like on the first day. He had specks on his face of what looked like blood. He started helping me up until, I saw another familiar face. It was Aaron. He had nothing on but Khaki shorts. He looked extremely pissed as he looked at Vence. He started to charge over to where I was and pushed Vence out the way. Vence flew about two yards then he ran back faster than any human could. I barely saw him moving.
Vence looked as if on fire when Aaron shoved him. Aaron got mad and turned into a huge animal, and did a nose-dive in the air towards Vence’s head. Vence’s eyes turned bloodshot red and he lunged at Aaron’s neck with all his force and might. I yelled stop but it wasn’t very loud. It was like I had no say in anything. It was a rough match. At one point, it looked as though they were hitting themselves. At the end, it looked like Aaron gave up and left Vence alone. He was still depressed; cheeks were bright red, his body hairy like the beginning of the match, looked happy for me. Vence came up to me with a generous expression. I came up with much grace than I ever thought I had before. Vence put me on his back and, with Aaron by his side, walked through the silent trees.
My alarm clock startled me up out my dream. When I opened my eyes, I had sweat on my forehead and really was in pain, but not as much as last night in my dream, though. Then, unexpectedly, I screamed a blood-curling cry.
My mom rushed in to comfort me.
“There, there. You’re alright. It was just a nightmare,” is what she said to me. I’ve heard this multiple times when I was a kid. My grandmother used to tell me and my cousins and Aaron tales of beasts that roamed the forest for . . . blood, and my mother would hear me cry in my room the next morning and come to my rescue.
I looked up to her worried face and said, “It wasn’t a nightmare, nor was it a good mare. It was a weird, loving dream.” We stayed silent for a while. Then I overcame my awful, yet so caring dream and got up to wash for school. I didn’t know how I got to my bedroom last night but it didn’t matter now. I was safe.
When I got to school, Aaron seemed to have the same face as I did when I woke up sweating. He seemed surprised, happy, yet confused to see me.
“Hey, Luna!” he finally said after a moment.
“Hey. . . I enjoyed the movie last night. It was good.”
“Yeah. Can I ask you something?”
“O . . . Kay!” I was really hoping it had nothing to do with Vence.
“So, if you had a disturbing, violent dream, you would tell me, right?”
“Yea, I guess. Oh, since you brought it up, I need to tell you something.”
He looked at me with a worried look. “Ok,” he hesitated, “tell me.”
“So, could you imagine ever getting along with . . . Vence? You know the guy that I was sitting with in bio, yesterday.”
He stared with confusion at me. “What are you trying to say?”
“It relates to my dream. I’m not trying to break up with you if that’s what you’re thinking.” After I said that, he seemed to relax a little.
“So what’s up, then,” he asked with a serious yet nervous tone. His voice was rather cracked on the “what’s up” part. I was about to tell him, until first period bell rung and Kyle grabbed me by the arm. “Let’s go before the good seats are taken!” Before I left, Aaron kissed me and disappeared in with the crowd of people that were still sleepy.
At Biology, Vence was a no show. Germany also didn’t show, Aaron’s partner. I thought it was weird yet convenient that Vence didn’t show right after I had that awkward dream. We took notes for the 1st quarter of class. Since we needed a partner for the last 10 minutes of class, Mr. Chaos told me to work with Aaron. I didn’t want Aaron near me until I had everything straightened out. Aaron, however, ran over to my table and seemed that he been waiting for this time.
We were studying a short film about dolphins and sharks’ babies, and then we were supposed to compare and contrast dolphins and sharks.
“So Luna, you were saying something about a dream you had. Would it be rude to want to know now?” he whispered to me. Normally I would consider it rude because it was already 3 minutes until the class was going to be over but I couldn’t hold it back.
“Um, ok. I was on the beach and I was coming out the water from a nice swim,” I stopped and waited for him to be done fantasizing, “So I twisted my ankle and couldn’t walk. Since nobody was there . . . Vence,” I hesitated saying his name around Aaron. But before I could say anything else, Aaron flew out of his seat.
“Whoa! Him!” Everybody looked confused at where we were seated. They didn’t know who “him” was but you could already tell they were about to gossip. I whispered to him sit down but Aaron wouldn’t listen. Aaron’s veins were popping up out of his neck as if on steroids. I had never seen him this angry before in my life, and I’ve known him all my life.
“Ms. Gondi, would you care to tell us what the predicament is over there?” His voice was harsh and sharp. Aaron and I both looked at him with an irritated feeling that was so scary it was clear on our face that we hated anyone who disrupted our argument. In respect of Mr. Chaos, Aaron sat down, but I stood up. I couldn’t take this anymore. He had been acting a jerk almost all summer not calling me and snapping on mostly everyone and I was tired of the charades.
“If you and you don’t behave you’ll get detention for 2 days.” Mr. Chaos was serious. I didn’t care. I was so pissed. I never had gotten mad like this before. Rage came from my ears. I could feel the blood from my brain and heart rushing toward my limbs. I felt like hitting something.
“Stop being stupid and sit down!” Aaron said. I looked at Aaron and I gave him a push out of his chair harder than I ever knew I could and he fell, head first, into the cabinet behind him. He was okay, unfortunately.





I grabbed my stuff and said, “That’s for being a jerk!” And I left the class; out the front door of the school angrily. It was fortunate that as soon as I opened the door the school bell rung to signal that everyone could go.
I headed for the woods. He tried to say he was sorry but I answered, “Go to hell!” everyone stopped what they were doing just to figure out what was going on. My friends’ jaws unhinged from their faces when they found out I had said that.
I rushed to the woods and I heard my friends go up and punch him in the arm. I’ve always said I can’t hurt the one I love, but right now, it didn’t apply. When I was near my house, I forced myself to calm down so no one would suspect anything. I came through my back door as if there weren’t a problem even though there was. The sun had disappeared behind clouds. I could hear the fall birds crying to the sun, asking it to come out and shine on them.
“Luna! There’s a guy named Vence here for you!” my sister yelled from downstairs 20 minutes after I came home from school. I popped up from my pillow I was weeping in and put my shoes back on. I rushed downstairs to find Vence talking to Cleo and Lyle. As soon as they saw I was downstairs, they excused themselves and left to help my dad cook dinner. I could feel their stares from the kitchen.
“Do you want to take a walk?” Vence asked me. I shrugged yes and we went outside.
“Do you realize that you missed school? I had to do everything myself.” I was somewhat mad.
“Don’t you mean ‘I did everything with my boyfriend and we got in an argument and I assaulted him? Yeah I heard.” I was surprised and embarrassed. How did he even find out? I shrugged. Unfortunately, the way Vence was walking with me was the route to Aaron’s house. I didn’t care, though. To me he was just an old neighbor. AN OLD NEWSPAPER!
When we got to Aaron’s baby blue house, he was sitting outside on his porch as if waiting for me. I then started thinking this wasn’t a good idea. I didn’t think I was ready to face Aaron yet. Ugh! I hate feeling insecure about some things. I tried to turn back but Vence blocked my way. Aaron was on his steps looking depressed and lonely even though he has seven other brothers. I just walked pass without giving him an even glance.
“Hey, Luna! Can I talk to you for a quick second?” is all he said to me but I ignored him. You would think that Vence would be happy that I didn’t speak to him, knowing as though Aaron acted an ass in class, but Vence just stop and looked at me. I then huffed and went to go see what Aaron wanted. “I’ll see you later, okay?” Vence smiled, walked, and walked on. I walked slowly towards Aaron and was somewhat nervous to be near him because he might flip out again.
“What do you want, Aaron?” I trotted over to him unhappily. He smiled at me as if this afternoon didn’t even happen. “Hey. I’m sooooo sorry about twenty minutes ago. Let me explain!” He came close to putting his arms around me but I backed away. I just chuckled and kept my hands in my back pockets to keep from touching his soft, delicate, muscle loaded body.
“It’s fine. We can go back to our old lives and pretend that today didn’t happen,” I said calmly. Aaron smiled and he came very close to kissing me but I ducked and dodge his poisonous kiss. “Don’t think you can just kiss me and everything is fine.” I was so serious. The sun started to shine and looked as if shined on him. It was beautiful.
“But you said that we could pretend this day didn’t happen,” Aaron complained and had harshness in his voice. His eyes were filled with fury and lonesomeness. I saw tears in his eyes and felt bad, I still was scared though.
“Yeah. But if it wasn’t clear earlier, we’re through. There is no ‘us’ anymore. We came to close to killing each other and I don’t want to get into that again. I’m sorry.”
I started to walk away but he grabbed my arm and held on tight. “You can’t leave me now. Not while everything is going good. We are connected with hearts and you know we are.” He grabbed my hand and put it on his heart. “We keep a piece of each other inside us. YOU CAN’T LEAVE ME, LUNA!” he really started to squeeze me and I was about to faint of fear when Vence came up and tore Aaron’s arms from my body.
“You had no business taking my seat and my girl!” Aaron started growling towards Vence as he said this.
Just before he was about to launch on Vence like in my dream, Aaron’s youngest brother, Adam, came outside and calmed him down. Adam was the coolest of all Aaron’s seven brothers. He understood me and, unlike Aaron, never got mad at anything. He whispered something in Aaron’s ear and he automatically calmed down. Adam winked at me and took Aaron in the house.
Vence and I walked home in silence. When we got home, my mom and dad were leaving the house in a joyful hurry. “Mom! Dad!” I called to them. They turned and looked at me.
“Hey! Sweetie, we need you to watch the youngers for us. Shelly’s water broke and she’s having the baby and Dylan is taking it hard! Larry’s wife is also giving birth again to twins. We’ll be back by tomorrow morning! Around 10 o’clock maybe.”
Before I said goodbye, they were down the street. I looked at Vence and he shrugged. “Do you want to come in and help watch a bunch of brats with me?”
He looked nervous, “Don’t you think that I should go. I mean your parents are gone.” I dragged him inside by the hand. His hand was freezing cold. I didn’t say anything though. It would have been rude to ask.
“Don’t worry! My parents let me have at least one more person in the house when they aren’t here. It’s a long story that I don’t want to talk about. So, movie time?” I was jolly. He shrugged and I plopped down on the couch. He followed slowly and finally got comfortable. The movie I had picked was one of my favorites and, I guess, one of Vence’s too. He was so interested in it. It was called Don-ucala. I know it’s a cheesy tittle but it is a good movie. It’s about a vampire and he is in love with this mortal but he’s afraid that he might drink her blood.
It was a thriller killer movie! By the middle of the movie, I was leaning my head on his shoulder. He didn’t seem to mind. The movie was somewhat scary in my eyes. The blood that rushed from the victims’ necks was excruciatingly disgusting. For the scary parts, I held his hand and squeezed tight. I only did it until the scene was over. I immediately let go as soon as it got normal again. I was so nervous about holding his hand. I didn’t want him to go and think I was coming on to him; like he was the rebound of a break up. By the romance scene, the last scene, I felt uncomfortable. I soon drifted asleep. I started to have a dream again.
The dream I had was similar to the one I had the night before. I was walking down the street and I saw Aaron at the corner. I spotted Vence at another corner. Both people weren’t alone. Aaron was with my family and his family. They had loving smiles on their faces and some had arms open wide. On Vence’s side, there was his family, I assumed since I never met his family, and piles of dead animals. I didn’t know what it meant, yet, but that’s not the weirdest of it. The sun and moon kept coming up and going down faster than they were supposed to. I counted how many times they went up and down; four times. Then the next thing I knew, Vence was gone from the corner and near me whispering in my small ear.
“Don’t worry,” he had whispered, “I’ll take care of you after this little . . . mishap.” He then bit me and I was throbbing around as if in an execution. I felt as though I was dying.
I then woke up out of my nightmare to see that it was daylight outside. I looked at the clock on the wall and it was half hour until my parents would come back. I got up and looked for something to eat. For some strange reason I was really thirsty. My throat was barely moist. I found some raw meat that my dad said he wasn’t going to use so I should throw it out.
Without thinking, I opened the package of meat. I got it in my cold hands and squeezed the blood out of it into a cup. At first, I thought I was still dreaming, but then when I felt the thick blood drop through my throat, I knew I wasn’t dreaming. I looked over at Vence who was now walking toward me. He held up his mirror so I could see my reflection and then looked down as though ashamed of himself. I looked and wondered what he wanted me to see. I then saw my neck and saw fang marks and I screamed.
Luckily, my brother and sisters were heavy sleepers. Even if a rhino stomped on them, they wouldn’t feel it.
“What did you do to me?” I was in so much shock, I felt as though paralyzed from the waist down. “Are you a . . .” I already knew the answer. I grabbed a kitchen knife and stabbed him where his heart should have been. When he didn’t die, I ran to my bathroom, slammed the door, and locked it. I was so upset. I couldn’t take my eyes off my neck in the mirror. How could this happen? Maybe it was me. My head was on his shoulder. He could have smelled my blood. Why didn’t I just let him go like he wanted to? Now my neck is really messed up. Oh my god!! What if my mom or dad saw this! I’m dead meat! With a side of blood!
I heard a knock on the door downstairs and I grabbed a scarf from my room and rushed down stairs. I didn’t want anybody to see my . . . new tattoo. I opened the door and Aaron was there. Aw, great!
“Hey, Aaron. What are you doing here,” I said looking down so he wouldn’t see my eyes.
“Um. I’m sorry about yesterday and I was out of . . .” He stopped mid-sentence. I could tell he smelt something foul. “What is that dead person smell?” Oh man, busted big time. “May I come in?” he asked. I shook my head “no”, but, being hard headed as always, came in anyway.
“What is he doing here?”
“She invited me,” Vence finally said after not talking since I found out, “unlike you she didn’t give an invite to, dog!”
“That tears it!” Aaron stepped towards Vence in attack mode. “Moon, Vence here is a vampire!” He looked devilish at Vence. “You shouldn’t be around him. I know it sounds crazy but . . . !”
“I know. Found out this morning. Literally three minutes ago.” I quarter smiled at Aaron showing him my night black eyes.
“Luna?!” He smelt me then ripped off my red and silver scarf to find a bite mark on my neck. He tipped in shock. He looked sad at Vence and mad at me. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around. He turned around and ran out the front door. He took it better than either of us thought he would. I looked at Vence and he looked at me.
“Well, Vence. I think you should –.” the phone rang right in the middle of my sentence. I answered and heard my mom’s voice. I guess she’s not on the plane yet.
“Hi sweetie,” I heard my mom’s blurry, faint voice on the other end, “So moon face, we went to go see your sister’s baby and it’s a girl.
“Wow, mom. That’s fantastic! What’s the name?”
“Ivy-Bleu isn’t that pretty. I wanted her to be name after a wild flower, though,” she laughed over the phone. “So since Shelly moved out to the snowy part of Colorado, our flight back to Portland got delayed because a snow storm. I’m sorry but you’re going to have to watch the kids until tomorrow night. We are deeply sorry for leaving you with – how do you say – gremlins. We’ll try to get in touch with your uncle so he can help you out.” I heard someone talking in the background, “yeah. I have to go. Give kisses and hugs to Cleo, Tina, and Lyle for me.” She hung up the phone and I wasn’t at all sad.
Yeah I had to babysit a purple pony, a wild snag-a-tooth, and a loud mouth gossiper, but now I could get things straight. I opened the door and held it out for Vence to walk or fly out. He knew I wanted him gone so I could think things through. He left swiftly and quietly. I was all alone in the living room.
“What’s for breakfast, mom?” Cleo called while coming downstairs with Tina in her arms. She came down and saw there wasn’t a mom or a dad down here. She checked for their car but it was still gone. “Did they get snowed in Colorado,” she asked sadly. I nodded and she got perky quickly. “That’s kind of great. Dad cooks the Saturday pancakes and they most times be burnt. Yuck!” I was impressed of how quick she saw the bright side of things.
“What are you cooking for us today chef Luna? French toast? Oatmeal? P & J sandwiches? Come on, come on! I am so hungry.”
Lyle in his racecar pajamas came down for breakfast, too.
“No. I am about to cook something spectacular. It’s quick. It’s yummy. It’s Luna’s new and improved Chocolate Fudge Sundaes!” My siblings went crazy! I was known throughout my neighborhood for my L.C.F.S! When people ate a sundae, they always think about the best sundae they ever had: L.C.F.S!
I made then in 5 minutes and after my brother was finish; he couldn’t even pick up his favorite video game. He just sat in his room for about 2 hours just watching the same movies over and over.
“I and Lyle have play dates today and you need to take us there. It is close to the time.”
“Where is this note saying this play date scheduled?” I said business like. I didn’t believe a word she said. She grabbed my hand and took me to see the note. It was my mom’s handwriting and signature. The note read:

Dear Moon face,
If I’m not home by now, that means, I was stuck at, most likely, Shelly’s house. At 10:15 am, you must take Lyle and Cleo to the Silver family for a play date. You should know where it is, but if you forgot, map it on the computer. Pick them up at 1:00 pm. Keep Tina near you since the Silvers’ only have two kids that aren’t her age.
P.s. you may use my car since we took your father’s car. 
Well, I should have known that my sis wouldn’t be lying about going over the Ross’ house. She can’t stand being here alone with me for a half hour.
Once, during Christmas time, our parents weren’t home because they had to get the rest of our presents. So, even though she wasn’t supposed to, Cleo woke up and asked me where did mom and dad go? I was so mad at her for waking me up at 3:45 am that I told her that Santa Claus kidnapped them and forced them to take part in buying presents for all children, good and bad, and that this happened repeatedly every year to certain parents. And if she squealed about this to anyone, she would be forced to pay for presents. She had run away from any type of Santa for 3 years saying, “I’m not going to pay,” until my dad and mom told me to tell her the truth. She still hates me but it’s crazy to hate me. Whatever.
I through on my purple and white turtleneck sweater. I couldn’t risk anyone seeing the thing on my neck. They would ask questions and I’d have no answer for them, yet.
I took them to the Silver family’s house. After I dropped them off, I started thinking about what happened before the munchkins even woke up. About the pain; the bite, the blood I craved; the scarf; Aaron. I then thought about how to deal with this case. I thought about the nearest bookstore and decided to take Tina and go buy me a book on vampires and how they work or come to be. I made sure I strapped her in and then I drove off.
When I went in the store with little Tina on my back, I asked the store clerk to point me in the direction of the adult monster books. He assumed I was talking about the one known as Big Foot. He pointed me in the direction in the back and I walked quietly back there. I looked for the vampire books but could barely find any. I found two and bought them. I was somewhat nervous to give the clerk the books but I sucked up my pride and gave him my money.
I took Tina back home because she started to yawn. When I was driving, I saw a face that I recognized but didn’t want to stop for. He gave me a look and then ran into the woods. I guess Aaron was still mad at me for something I didn’t mean to do. He was so stubborn with his feelings. Boys say that girls are mysteries, but boys are the ones who are the mysteries. They don’t ever show their feelings and that frustrates me. I only know of one person that shows his feelings: Vence.
When I arrived in the driveway, I took Tina in our house and we watched cartoons. She fell asleep after the first 25 minutes and then I took her in her room and made sure that the room was secure. I went back to the backroom and started to doze off watching “Titanic.” I don’t know why I was watching such a romantic yet sad movie. I started to daydream but it was unordinary like the last two.
I was sitting where I was just then and dreamed of my previous life; from age one to sixteen now. All the good and some bad that flashed before my eyes was believingly funny, heartwarming, life learning, scary, and awfully sad and regretful. I then woke to the state of shock of Vence’s voice in my ear. I stared into his now vanilla colored eyes. I didn’t want to see him again until I resolved my little issue.
“What are you doing here? I need you to leave.” I got up and walked to check on Tina; make sure he didn’t eat her or something like that.
“I didn’t eat Tina. You can still trust me after I did that thing on your neck,” he pointed at my neck; nervous to even look at it; as though it was a disease or something, “and how could you even think that I am a monster.” He did a beautiful smile that showed all 32 of his probably centuries old teeth. They still looked white, though.
“Well, the thing on my neck kind of makes you a monster.” I said with sarcasm.
“What put you to that conclusion?”
I held the book I bought to his face. The tittle was “Monsters: Vampires are the worst.”
He smirked and shooed the book away. “Ah. The native book dedicated to us vampires! Hooray for our kinds!”
I had my issues all piled high on my imaginary desktop waiting to be filed out and sorted. Everything wasn’t alright in my life. Maybe that’s the regret that my dream was trying to show me. The word for this was: Pressure. Every little choice I or someone close to me made, affected me in some type of way. I could only have peace in my thoughts.
As if he felt what I felt right at this point, he nodded his head, looking deep in my different colored eyes. Scratch that. Nothing is safe anymore! Not my BODY! Not my SOUL! Not even my DAMN THOUGHTS!!!!! What was this? Some stupid film when the magical wizards read the sad, depressed person’s thoughts. Entering the human mind without warning or an invite? This isn’t any type of “Wizards of Oz.” I looked at him as though I wanted him to hear what I said and then stay out of my thoughts.
“Well, ok then. I will stay away from your tempting mind. I see you already have so much on your desk top.”
“Yeah. And now you need to leave. I have reading to do on you . . . I mean our kind. We aren’t the easiest to understand.”
“When you told me to leave the first time I went to my father’s house and he said that we could probably turn you back to human since you’re just a newborn vampire! It might take about two days to get the equipment ready though and after you’re transformed back, you might have to stay at my house in the guest bed. The symptoms would be that you start to feel jumpy and hype like you’re on coffee, after that change you might start to crave blood again and try to drink your own. I need to keep watch on you at my house.”
I stared at him, “You have your own house?”
“Yea because legally I’m 16 but in all my years, I’m three centuries, eight years and a month. I’m old enough to have died, came back a century later, died again, and did the process once more. Interesting, huh?”
“Yeah I guess. If you like to sleep!” I joked with him. We started laughing and then I heard a knock at the door. I was about to get it when Vence took my hand softly, “Don’t get the door. Stay with me here.” He dragged me back down on the futon we were sitting on and he tried to kiss me. Then Aaron came through the backdoor and the moment was ruined. I was mad as heck. Vence’s rosy lips looked like they were the only things with color besides his ever-changing eye color. They were now a black that struck my soul with lightning and thunder.
I look at Aaron from where I was sitting. “Hey. Can we take a walk for a minute?” Aaron sounded nervous. His voice was crackling like popcorn in the microwave. “I mean if Vence doesn’t mind. He can come if he wishes to. To protect you of me.” Whoa! Protection from Aaron? What did he mean? I glanced at Vence knowing he was feeling the same confusion I was at that moment.
“No,” Vence finally said, “For some strange reason, I trust you.” His eyes were a light green. They slowly got to a darker green and were completely green as the healthiest grass in the world. “I know you won’t let anything bad happen to Luna. I can tell.” Vence was staring at Aaron’s eyes pretty hard, as if trying to tell him that he felt what he felt. “Um. Yeah. So shall we?” he asked while offering his hand to help me up. I still was confused. What did he mean “protection” from him? Was he going to hurt me? Was he my enemy now? Before I left, I did one slick glance over at Vence. He waved with a smirk on his face. What was so funny? Vence watched Aaron take me into the woods. From where I was, it looked like he was still laughing.
“So. You’re alright, right? I mean did he get mad after you showed your emotions? You did show how you felt about this whole thing, right?”
“Of course I showed them. And he never gets extremely mad. Not that I’ve seen so far. So what did you want to talk about?” I was anxious to go home and look for some more raw meat juice. I was getting thirstier by the seconds and it was sad. I felt like just attaching Aaron and sucking all the life out of him. Ugh!
A smile came across his face. “Here!” he tossed me a big dear with ease; freshly killed; blood smelt richer than any blood from a blood bank. He must have planned this because he got the deer from behind a big rock.
I looked up at him confused. Did he really want me to drink this? What if it was poisoned? What if I really did need protection? I didn’t want to alarm Vence back at home through my mind e-mail so I calmed down and took the teenage deer by the wrists. “Thanks.” I was desperate for this red sustains. I really was hungry. I didn’t think a mortal like himself would do such a drastic killing. Interesting. While I was at the wrist of my poor victim, Aaron was ripping chunks of meat of the deer’s sides. I knew first hand that the meat was terribly strong though Aaron got it off with such ease. Just a simple flick of his wrist and it was off. Magical, or was it?
“I have to be completely honest with you, Luna. I love you, but we can’t even be friends now. Since you’re . . . um . . . you know. Trust me. You don’t want to be around people like me when you’re you.”
“People like you? I’m . . . used to ‘people’ like you.” I was so disgusted, but for multiple reasons; feelings I couldn’t explain.
By now, Aaron was frowning. He mumbled something then finally looked up from his shoes. “You don’t know people like me, Luna. You think you do, but you don’t. I’ll show you who I really am!” he flicked me up on his back like a small, light-weight, stuffed animal and ran far, far uphill at the speed I can’t describe. It wasn’t as fast as a vampire, I don’t think, but I was amazed about how effortlessly he lifted me up off the ground, but more amazed at the next thing he did. He then sat me down, took off his shirt, and he started to get hairy, like in my beach dream. Then in one swift movement, he was the big animal in my vision, with my grandmother’s legends buzzing in my head. Then a heart- warming thought that my grandmother said to me right before she died popped in my head. Follow your heart and dreams. Let them be your wind and rushing water. I did never understand what that meant until now. My dreams and heart was where she could communicate with me; give me little pointers to what to choose; what she thought was a right choice for me and my future.
Aaron grunted and I stood still as a scarecrow where he put me down. I didn’t know whether or not to run away or comfort him in some way. All I could do now was stand still and breathe in his awful, repulsive smell that I didn’t smell earlier. It was like a wet dog mixed with varieties of perfumes. It was terrible. All of a sudden, I smelt an, already, familiar smell. Vence was flying through the trees and landed quietly on the ground. He looked worried.
“Someone named Uncle Kenneth is coming. He called and I imitated your voice.”
Aaron phased back to human in seconds.
“I’ll be going now. Um bye, Luna.” He hugged me. He glanced over at Vence. Vence had his hand stretched out as if wanted a handshake. Aaron walked away angrily.
“He can look scary when in that transformation, and smell.” Vence made a face.
“Wait! If you’re here and I’m here, who’s at home?!” we started to climb through the trees. I would have enjoyed being in the trees, flying through them, having fun but my little munchkin could be in serious trouble. Tina was left alone and could choke on her binky or something. We were at the house after a minute. I rushed up to her bedroom and found that she was about to fall out of her crib. She was climbing the bars of her crib and was on top; ready to jump. I swooped in just before she hit the ground. I caught her safely and cradled her in my ice-cold arms. Vence came in shortly after being tangled in shrubs. I then looked at him and smirked. I was relieved that I caught her safely in my arms. “She would have been a pancake even though I love pancakes.” Joke of course!
After that narrow escape, Vence and I took Tina down stairs and let her rest in each of our arms. We even watched some Tom & Jerry until she fell asleep. Once and a while, she would shiver at our cold skin and would wake up to make sure it was someone she knew, recognized, or found to not be a threat. I refrained from her sweet, young blood since I used to be her own flesh and blood relative not too long ago. If I were to drink her blood, it will be as if drinking my own blood. I was still a little thirsty though so I got up; put Tina in Vence’s arms; and got some more raw meat that I didn’t finish. I then heard a knock and knew it was my uncle. I let him in, hugged him tighter than I was supposed to, and offered him a cold beer. He said that he had come because his sister, my mom, called and said I might need help.
“I can pick up lil’ Cleo and big Lyle for you so you can have some alone time with your boyfriend.” My Uncle pointed to Vence and started to laugh when we told him we were just friends. He took Tina and seeing that it was almost 1:00 pm, got in his Chevy and drove to the Ross’ house off the directions I gave him.
“I think since we have some free time on our hands, you should meet my parents. You know – because we need to work out this vampire stuff.” I still flinch at the word. V-A-M-P-I-R-E. That is the scariest name to many people. Why do they even exist if they just kill? “Sorry. I didn’t mean that.” I really didn’t mean what I had said.
He nodded and grabbed my hand. We went outside and started to fly. We arrived at his house faster than the speed of light itself. His house was big and beautiful. It was a light pink with floral designs on the sides. There were Roses, Tulips, Chrysanthemums, Lilies, Black Eyed Suzie, and Lotuses everywhere. The area smelled really fresh and natural. The smell made me relaxed and comfortable. It made me forget about how nervous I was to meet any parents of a vampire.
“Ok. So when you get in here, take off your shoes and leave them by the door. My mother’s name is Isaiah and my dad’s name is Isaac. Remember: you’re not afraid of anything or anyone.”
That wasn’t entirely true, I thought in my head. I was really afraid of them. Not as afraid of them as I am of is losing the ones I loved because of a choice I made. We walked in and the mother and father were on the couch, waiting for us.
“Hey, my little man and his little girlfriend. Came to talk ‘bout something with us? A request perhaps?” I could tell that Isaiah was very intelligent and easy going. She dressed in a silk, floral blouse that was a little too big on her; black jeans that was a style that only junior high school kids wore, not that I’m complaining; and a hair style that was cute from the eighties.
Your mother is really cool. To be honest, I wish she was kind of my mom. I don’t know why you were so nervous. He looked like they weren’t the ones he was afraid of. He glanced to the right and became irritated. I went to shake their hands and some rude boy slid in front of me. I stared at him with disgust even though he was somewhat cute. Who are you to cut in front of me? Who are you to even touch me? Then I heard a voice but no-one’s lips were moving.
I am the youngest boy and the skilled one in the bunch.
What? Who said that?!
I did! The person in front of me, still holding my hand, grinned and nodded.
Whoa! You can send mind messages?
Yeah! You can, too. My brother over there, he nodded towards Vence, reads minds but don’t deliver them. Like right now, he’s reading me. He can tell what I’m saying but he cannot say anything back. How frustrating it is to not be able to say anything while I’m trying to steal his girlfriend. Ha! I am so superior.
Yeah. Leave me alone. I walked over to the mother and she came to hug me. I knew she was a vampire by how hard she hugged me. It was tight yet heart-warming. I could really feel the love.
“Wow! You’re more beautiful than Vence described. How are you? Wait, why did I just ask that? You are probably scared as hell! Oops. I shouldn’t curse. But you’re 16, right? You do it anyway. Ha! I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking why is she so hype? Well, after Vence told us he changed someone, I was so proud that he did. Our kind needs to survive. Oh, how do you feel? Cravings? Wait, you aren’t pregnant, are you. Oh no! I’m too young to be a grandma.” She kept blabbing on about how her mother was in labor and was so scared that she . . . um. . . I don’t even want to tell you. She even wanted to have “The Talk.”
“Honey, calm down and be quiet. You are scaring the poor child out of her non-beating heart. Sit down in that chair if you wish.” The father pointed to a chair that was price less. It was hand carved with a hand-sewed cushion that was to die for. The chair looked like Niagara Falls built into a chair formation. “Luna, my daughter will take you upstairs to her room and give you a robe to put on. We are gonna take a few test on you. I’ll be there shortly.”
His voice was so calming towards me. His face expression was soft and gentle. I was hoping that his voice would be somewhat harsh so that he sounds like my dad. Oh well. A girl grabbed me by the arm gently to signal that it was time to go to the room. The woman’s face was also calm and gentle. It looked like I recognized her face somewhere before. As I was trying to figure out her face, we rushed up the flight of stairs.
“Alright. Here’s your gown and glasses that you will need. Do you want a cup of blood or something?”
“Yes thank you.” I was famished. All this excitement was too much for one person to handle. Good thing I had Vence. For these past 3 or 4 days, it has been the devil’s spit for me.
The woman whooshed out of the room quietly. The smell of her perfume was a familiar scent. It calmed my thoughts long enough for her to speed back into the room. She carried a tall, white plastic glass full of the answer to my thirst in her hand. She handed me the cup and sat beside me on the bed.
“So how does it feel being a new born? All the blood drinking; flying through trees; lasting forever and ever and ever.” She was faint on the last part as if she hated lasting forever. I knew how she felt. I didn’t want to last forever. Not really. “I’m Claire by the way, Vence’s sister. And might I say you have sparkling eyes.”
“Luna. And I find that interesting because your brother said the same thing when he met me a few days ago.”
“I could imagine. They are really hard to miss, Luna. So the tests will be easy. First, my dad will put you in a tube thing that real doctors use. In there that’s when you put the glasses on. The tube is like a tanning booth but used to test vampires. Then, my dad will scrape off some of your sculpture skin and diagnose it. The reason for these tests is to see do you have evil in you or good in you like us.”
I looked agitated. “I can tell you that myself. I’m a good person. I’ve never done anything really bad to anybody or anything. I can’t even kill a spider without praying for forgiveness first.”
“Yea,” she looked as if she made her point, “Sometimes, people turn evil without realizing it. But that isn’t the only reason why the tests are taken. Another reason is to see what special power you might have. So we can tell you if your power is rare and is once in a lifetime or, in our cases, beyond our lifetime. If you forget any of this process, I’ll be here and so will my mother. Um, I’ll be back. I’ll get you some more blood if you wish. I see you drunk it all.”
This was true. While she was talking, I was slurping away quietly. She disappeared into the shadows of the hall.
I thought she came back when I saw the door open, but it wasn’t her. It was the person from downstairs.
Hello! My name is John. I see you put on the gown. It looks nice on you. He leant up against the door. So, are you happy about being transformed? He talked through his mind.
No! Why don’t you leave?
Can’t. Need to help out. Father’s orders. So anything I can do? Get you some blood? He pulled a half pint cup from his back and handed it to me. He walked over and sat next to me. I became angry and moved toward the head of the bed. Luna, what do you see in Vence that you don’t see in me, maybe even better? I mean – I’m younger than him. I’m closer to your age than he is.
Yeah but you’re a little pushy. You expect someone to like you.
So? They should. I am cute, smart, and speedy.
Well, you need to stop pressuring someone to like you. Let the girls decide that they like you on their own. I can guarantee that thousands of girls would like you if you weren’t so self-centered. Talk about something but how fine you are or how damn sexy they are. Talk about their day or how they . . .” I treaded off. John’s lips were about to touch mine, then I smacked them away. He looked in shock. I was guessing that he never got a smack before. Well, I’ve served my purpose. Just then, I could hear someone’s thoughts. They were big, angry thoughts. Violent. Hurtful. Funny. I knew who it was and was just about to tell John to hide, but he burst through the door.
“What is wrong with you?!” Vence was standing taller than he looked. “Leave her alone! Now go before I make disappear into thin air!” his fist was balled up in to a tight clench, you could almost see his bones. He said everything so fast, all I heard was: you, go, disappear, thin air. I did not want to see a fight go on. Especially over me. I didn’t like breaking up a family. If I did that, I would consider myself a Skank.
“Sure as soon as you make me.” he was now holding me as if he wouldn’t let go until I said that I was his.
“Both of you need to get out of here before I shove my foot up your butts,” Claire called from behind the door. I couldn’t hear her thoughts from all the commotion that was going on. Claire must be superior because they were gone in seconds. “Anyway, so do you like Vence?” she stared into my eyes to get the real truth. Before I could say anything, another person rushed in the room. She was as tall as Isaiah but looked like John a little in the face.
“Is she in here!? Is she in here!?”
“Calm down sister. She is in front of your face.” Claire rolled her eyes.
“OMG,” the girl screamed, “You are the one. My, my. Your eyes are like so gorgeous. I know. You’re asking why she is so enthusiastic. Well, you’ll find out sooner or later.” Yeah. This is a reenactment of 15 minutes ago with Isaiah.
“Luna. This is my sister, Dayan. She is the dramatic one in the bunch. I bet you could have known that by yourself.”
“Oohh. Luna. That name is so unique. Wait, is it supposed to mean moon?”
I nodded, “Yeah. My native name means moon or Luna but I prefer Luna. So, are you the oldest girl?”
“No. Claire here is the oldest. Even though I am taller than her, she is older by 1 year and a month.” Yeah I should be the oldest. I don’t know why I even bother. She started to talk through her mind. I could hear everything she said but she didn’t know that I could. Why am I even in here? I met her and adored her eyes. I don’t like Claire so I need to leave. I rather chuckled silently at Dayan’s thought.
Yeah okay leave! I don’t like you either.
Fine. But if you hate me so much, stop hanging around me and my friends. Go hang with your own friends. Wait, you don’t have any.
Don’t fight. It isn’t nice to fight. You both are sisters. I didn’t think that I had actually said that until they looked at me with surprise and confusion.
You can send messages, too? Oh my. Interesting! Claire was now calm and didn’t seem agitated with Dayan anymore. Good. She seemed to be more focused on me now. Bad. Just then, Isaac walked in the bedroom door. He was trying not to laugh.
“Um, it time for the first test. Come, Luna.”
I walked silently out of the room with Claire by my side. She could tell that I was tense. Claire grabbed my hand to relax me. Her hands weren’t cold but I still had a chill down my spine. It was like someone put half of the North Pole down the back of my shirt when I was nice and warm. It was awful and scary. As these thoughts went through my mind, we were walking slowly down the hall. We walked to a big room at the end of the hall. It had tools and machines that, in normal eyes, would freak me out. But my eyes were different colors to show my emotions. I guessed that they were now a sky blue to show that I was scared and freaked out. The room, which had a blue light glow from it, looked almost like a torture chamber. It had spikes everywhere; knives on walls and in trays; needles, big and small. It was really creepy. Isaac gave me a big jug of O-, I guessed. I drunk it down really fast and stared at Isaac. I just wanted this to be over with so I could go home. He started to do many test on me.
After he was done, I could see everybody staring at me. I was wondering what they were staring at. They had wonderful expressions on their faces. They looked fascinated with me. What? Am I back human? Why do they look happy?
No. You’re still a vampire. Claire told me. We just found out something interesting about you just now.
What? What’s happened? Am I unordinary as usual?
Well, yea in a way. You have powers!
I thought all vampires had the same powers.
Yea but most vampires have at least one other power. And you have an outstanding, individual power. A rare power! It is dangerous.
Whoa! What?
You can control and destroy things by just thinking about them. Your mind is so powerful that you can crush anything from a person to this whole planet. You’re amazing!
I stood up straight on the table I was laying on. I can do what?

~Chapter 2~

The next day, I was really careful about what I thought. I was trying not to get really angry with anyone. I loved my family, but I would kill myself before I destroy them, if it was possible now. My mother and father came home around six o’clock that evening. They were happy to see us all after seeing three babies.
Vence came over repeatedly through the front door, knocking each time. After the seventh time, he started using my bedroom window. He kept bringing me cups, quarts, and then galloons of blood to me, until Tina found one of my cups lying around in my bedroom while neither Vence nor I was paying any attention to her. She drunk every last drop of blood in the cup. Later that day, her body rejected it and she puked it all up. My parents took her to the doctor, thinking that was her own blood she had vomited. That’s when we decided to supervise my cups and anyone trespassing in my room.
“So, have you decided?”
“Decided on what,” I asked glugging down another cup.
“Um . . . who you’re gonna choose? Either to be human or to be like me.” He looked at me with a nervous yet excited look. His eyes were a dark pink. They were almost a red.
“What side do you want me to choose? Claire said that my ‘gift’ was rare and was only once in a lifetime. But if I change back, I would get to see my family ten times more than how many times if I were still vampire. Decisions, decisions. We make them all our lives,” I choked out. All our lives are what I am afraid of. All our lives. Vence stared at me like he wanted to say something back but he said nothing.
“How about you and I go out tonight. I’ll teach you how to hunt. If you really want me to choose for you, then you’re gonna have to know how to eat.” Vence’s eyes were now a light green like yesterday. I really need a guide for eye colors. I can’t keep up with this ever-changing color. “Well, how about eight pm. Your parents are planning to take the kids out to Goofy Burger.” He ignored my request for an eye guide.
I made a face. I hated Goofy Burger. The last time I went there, about three years ago, I was crushed by the Goofy Burger mascot. It all happened with Cleo. She flicked some food she refused to eat; the food hit a waiter’s eye; the waiter stumbled and fumbled all through the restaurant dramatically; we got up to leave so we wouldn’t be charged with paying for the damages; my dad put our money for our food down on the table and it ended up on the floor somehow; the waiter slid through our money and bumped into Goofy the Burger; Goofy fell on top of me and broke my leg. We were banned from Goofy Burger for a whole month.
“Okay. So 8:00 it is. Dress casual. But look as splendid as you do now.” He froze at what he said and flew out the window. As soon as he left, I smelt that reeking dog smell again. I took a look outside and it was someone in a werewolf form. I was sure that it wasn’t Aaron because this wolf was a darkest brown I had ever seen, almost a black color with white paws and outstanding blue eyes. The wolf smirked at me with extremely white teeth. I then knew it was Adam, Aaron’s brother. He changed into human form and climbed up the tree next to my room window. He landed on my floor with a big thud. I then saw another wolf. This wolf was larger and all white with brown paws. This one also had blue eyes. The wolf changed and climbed up just as Adam did. It was Mariah, Adam’s older sister but Aaron’s younger sister. I really didn’t expect them to be wolfs yet. Oh well. I’ll take it.
“Hey. So Aaron told me he told you about the little, um, character he is. Are you surprised,” Adam asked me. I was shocked about why he would even think that I wasn’t shocked.
“Of course she was surprised. Wouldn’t you be shocked if your best friend told you or rather showed you that he was literally two people?” Mariah was the type to compare and contrast things together. Unlike her brothers, she doesn’t mind being compared to anyone. She finds it pleasure to be noticed at all since her brothers get most of the attention. She’ll take any type of attention she can get.
“Well, yea. But my best friend is myself. If I was shocked, that person would be shocked, too. I mean – we’re basically the same person. Actually, we are the same person.” Adam, being the fabulous person he is, pulled out his pocket mirror he carries in his back pocket and glared at himself in, just about 25 different poses in two minutes.
Just then, Aaron came through the window. He was glazed with sweat and out of every slither of air in his massive lungs. He gave a sharp glance to both of his siblings and they, at the same time, tried to squeeze through the tiny window almost breaking my windowpane. When they finally left, I smelt that rancid smell again. This time, in respect for Aaron and his family, I didn’t plug my nose with my thumb and index finger. I took it like a man and dealt with it. When Aaron finally got enough air in his lungs, he smiled at me and stood tall.
“So we haven’t talked to each other since yesterday?” he rubbed the back of his neck as if this moment were awkward. I didn’t really see how it would be but whatever he thought didn’t bother me. If it was an awkward moment, it was an awkward moment.

“I just had a lot on my mind right now. I took some tests yesterday at the Rose\' house.” I shouldn’t have mentioned them yet. Not until everything was smooth between the two families. I still felt a sting in my side every time I talked to one about the other. Tension was still between them. I knew Aaron didn’t forgive Vence for biting me, and I knew Vence hated Aaron for grabbing me that day and making me feel uncomfortable, temporarily bruising me on the outside and inside.
“Oh. So, do you want to do something tonight like go see a movie, perhaps?”
“Dang. I’m hanging with Vence tonight.”
“Oh. Well, um, that’s cool, Luna. Hope you two have fun at whatever you’re going to be doing.” He then turned toward the window and was about to leave when I grabbed his hand. When our hands touched, it felt as though the clock on my wall stopped ticking just for us; so the moment would last. After a moment, I let go of his hand. I didn’t want to give him the wrong idea. The idea that I still loved him even though I did in a friendly way.
“You can’t leave yet. I don’t go on my – date until 8:00. Let’s talk. When did Mariah join? She looked really cool when in her werewolf stage.” This was true. When I saw her, the way the light hit her bleach white fur, how her blue eyes outlined her eggshell colored face. It was glamorous.
“Well she joined after Adam. She is also the second girl to join the pack since my mom was in the pack. Darlene is the first since my mother.”
I stared in disbelief. “So, your mom, too? Cool. Is all your family werewolves?”
“Just about, except Danny. He is the only one who hasn’t phased yet. He has become really depressed since he became 25. No one in the tribe has been changed over the age of 25. In the past, if you hit 25, you either have it by then or don’t.”
“Wow. Rough moment for him. So, I’m guessing that you got changed during the summer.”
He nodded.
“Well,” I continued, “that is nice. I mean, let me be the last to know about this type of stuff. You know if I wasn’t –.”
He was kissing me. His lips smothered on top of mine. I hadn’t felt this in a while. I didn’t enjoy it either. It made it harder for him and me to move on. Why was he even trying this with me? I was starting to burn with rage. Rage about how I dreamt about Vence the night before me and Aaron broke up. Anger about how Vence had changed me and now was doing anything to keep me happy. Irritation about how my life was gone. Going down the drain as I thought. Disappearing. Slipping through my fingers. Sinking into the sand trap.
I then came to my senses and pushed Aaron across the room with one mighty fling. He almost fell out the window but regained his balance and realized what he had done wrong. He looked sad and then angry at himself.
“Luna, I am sorry. I didn’t realize that I had done that.”
“It’s alright. It’s not you. I was thinking about something.” I was pierced with anger beyond nature. I didn’t know what was wrong with me. I turned to my TV on its stand where it was supposed to be. The next thing I knew, my eyes were burning. I could see my eyes glowing dark red; giving a mighty glow compared to my snowflake face. I started to buzz like a swarm of attaching bees. I then used my new powers to crush my TV into a bite size cracker. I didn’t realize where my TV went until I looked down at it and saw how itty-bitty it was. I looked at Aaron with irritation written all on my face. You. Should. Go! I need time to think what is wrong with me! I stared at my face in my mirror as I thought this. I was hoping he got my message. I felt like if I opened my mouth to speak, I would do something to Aaron that I didn’t want to do. That I couldn’t control. He would be so helpless to my new strength.
“I’m not leaving you alone. I am always here to help you. Tell me what is wrong. Are you thirsty? I could run out and get you something. I can get . . . Vence if you wish?” he was frantic. His face was flushed with care. He really did care for me. He was truly my best friend in the world. I just don’t get it. I pushed you into a cabinet and you still aren’t mad at me. You should be mad at me! Be mad at me, now!
“I can’t be mad at you if you didn’t do anything to me. You pushed me head first into a cabinet, so what! You are always gonna be my best friend. No. Matter. What.” I felt sympathy all around me. It tangled me in a tight web. I wanted him to be mad at me but he was refusing. He was rebelling against me.
Just then, I saw Vence fly through the window and zoom to my side. I felt the cool breeze as he sped past Aaron. He was angry also. His face showed that he was now stressed. “Aaron, help me get Luna outside through the window. We don’t want her parents to see that she is leaving without an explanation. You go out first.” My eyes were blurry and my arms felt as though they were blazing with flames of ice. I burned horribly inside my ice-cold body. I wanted to yell out but struggled not to cause anyone any more pain. I was helpless.
Then, the burning stopped torturing me. I smelt a fragrance that was new to me. It was calming and natural like a love spell made of candy and flowers. It swirled around me in a cloud of sweetness. Before I could even really enjoy it, a tingle went through my spine. I then felt needles everywhere poking into the painful body of mine. I felt as though I were lying on a bed of spikes. I was screaming in my brain. I didn’t know how much more I could take.
I saw Aaron disappear out the window and a smash hit the ground with such anger and force. “Already down here! Send her,” I heard Aaron call from the ground in the dark, possessive night. The moon was a crescent smile. It was highlighted by the shimmering stars above the world. The stars that dotted the sky were peaceful, but they still weren’t making me feel any better.
“Okay. Luna. Jump into Aaron’s arms down there. I can promise that he’ll catch you correctly.” Vence’s voice was trying to sound relaxed and comforting but underneath the thick layers of head, he was just as worried as Aaron. Maybe that was what Aaron and Vence had in common. Me. I was in both their lives. I meant so much to them. Vence was my vampire friend forever, I hope, and Aaron was a part of my family in a way. I loved them both in different ways. If anything happened to either one of them, it would scar me internally forever.
Vence picked me up with my head in his right arm and my legs in his left, and I was out the window and in Aaron’s arms in seconds.
“Okay. Aaron, since you can run fast, takes her to my father’s house up north of here. I’ll make conversation with Luna’s parents and wait for them to leave to Goofy Burger. Luna, I’ll be there as soon as I can! Hurry,” Vence said fiercely. I was on the verge of screaming out from filling the tension in the air.
Aaron raced off into the woods towards the house of Isaac Rose while holding me. All the way there, he kept whispering in my ear of the good days when we were kids to calm me down. “Don’t worry, Luna,” Aaron said after coming into view of the house, “you’ll be okay. I’ll make sure of that. I’ll always have your back!” I looked at him with remembrance of a childhood memory that had that same line.
He promised to be there for me no matter if he was dying or if his own sister were dying. But he doesn’t like Mariah that much so I have an unfair advantage of love from him.
Isaac was outside on his porch already. “What happened? Wow, Luna. Get her to the table upstairs.” Isaiah took me, rushed me upstairs, and put me down gently on the table. I started to have massive headaches. My lungs and heart felt tight and shriveled up. I couldn’t see at all. I could hear fine, though. I was starting to fade out of all type of visual access. I could only see blobs of colors around me.
“Is she going to be okay,” I heard Dayan call. My mind kept rushing in and out of my visual sense. Isaac was hovering over me like an obsessed ghost. Isaiah was by his side with light and tools.
“What’s wrong with her? Is it a seizure?” I couldn’t make out the voice well enough to recognize it. I then saw one last vision of Vence hovering over my face with Aaron on side.
“You’ll be alright,” Vence was saying.
“Be strong, Moon,” was the last voice I heard. Apparently, it was Aaron’s voice. How convenient. I then blacked out.
I could only see stars and the sun and the planets and their moons. It was a lovely sight to see. I could touch the stars. As I went to prove my theory, I then tripped and fell straight down into a black hole. Immediately, my grandmother appeared.
“Don’t give up reaching for the stars, Moon!” she was dressed in gold and silver. She looked gorgeous in the uptown dress.
“I don’t understand nana?” I was so surprised to have seen her. My thought of her being able to communicate with me through my dreams was the truth. I kept falling as she spoke to me in a light tone.
“Look.” She pointed upward. I then realized what she meant by reach for the stars.
There on actual stars were Vence and Aaron. Their outstretched hands were tempting. On the left was Vence’s star, a real fantasy star with all five points and yellow colored. It looked like the ones kids drew or found pictures of in kid magazines. On the right was Aaron’s star, a reality ball of burning gas. I knew what they represented. Vence was supposed to be a fantasy; dreams come true; unrealistic, and Aaron was supposed to show reality; real life; non-fiction. I needed to be saved by one of them I just couldn’t choose. Reality or fantasy? Reality or fantasy? “Help me nana!” tears poured down my solid face.
“I would like to help but I am not you. Only you can decide for yourself.” Her face started to fade away from my mind. She disappeared in just three seconds.
“Nana! Nana! Come back,” I called but knew she couldn’t hear. She was long gone now and I started to be able to hear and see again. The first thing I saw was Claire and Dayan.
“She’s coming back. Get Vence!” I felt a rush of air past me and saw Vence stroking my cheek. I rose up and stared into his light blue eyes that almost sadden me to see them again. They were as blue as the Pacific Ocean and blessed him with grace.
“I thought I was going to be gone permanently. I thought I wouldn’t see your beautiful face again.” I stood, shocked, surprised. My face would have been blushing if it could have.
“Well, we’re going to go. Let you two talk or what not,” said Dayan gushing out giggles and then laughs. The Rose family left out of the torture room swiftly and quietly.
“Ow!” aching pain was in my head. “What happened?”
“Well, apparently, you did have a reaction to the new ways of the vampire. All the blood you consumed gave you some pain, which is normal. Usually, it’s minor pain or agitation but with you, it was more than that. It was like all anger you felt in your lifetime. That or something made you think really hard about your life.” He looked at me with such glory and gentleness. I peered into his mind and saw nothing but pictures of me when the two of us met, when I invited him in my house the night I was changed, when I woke and craved blood. It made my non-beating heart shiver.
“Nothing happened,” I said glancing over at Aaron, who was now standing in the doorway looking nervous, scared to even glance up from the floor his eyes were glued to. “Not that I could remember,” lying to not only Vence but myself, too. I could remember everything. The whole moment was a tattoo on my memory.
Vence looked concentrated on my mind. I then remembered that when I fell into Aaron’s arms back at the house, I knew someone would want to figure what I was thinking so I put a lock on my thoughts. I didn’t know how I did it but I knew I did it right because I tacked into Vence’s mind and saw he was trying to find my thoughts.
“Don’t worry she’s fine. You may go back to your family now,” Vence said to Aaron without looking from my face. “Luna, we should get going. You need to learn how to catch and eat.”
“You’re staying like this?” Aaron was mad and hurt at the same time. His voice had many levels to it but I could hear just how he said it he was hurt by my decision. “You told me that they gave you a choice to either be human again or stay with them!”
“Yeah but she haven’t even chosen yet. And besides, what if she chose my side?” Vence arched his eyebrows at Aaron’s comment; how he emphasized the word “them.”
Aaron was silent. He had nothing to say. Even though I still had my mind cut off from any outsiders, I was able to weakly tap into Aaron’s thoughts. He was thinking of how he would kill Vence if he said something else he didn’t like. I don’t think he knew that he was in a house of vampires. Don’t. Just cool it. These vampires will kill you if you kill him.
“Even you?” his eyes showing a bit of water. He should have known that I wouldn’t try. But I wouldn’t try to force it not to go on.
Maybe. Maybe not. Most likely no. It isn’t my decision. I might just jump in because of the blood. I am still a newborn vampire.
“Wow. Really low even for you.” He did a smile that almost looked as nice as the crescent moon outside.
“Aaron, who are you talking to? No-one said anything.” His face was somewhat tense.
“You mean you didn’t hear what she said?” Aaron seemed pleased with himself. He just loved making trouble between people, including me and Vence.
“How come I didn’t hear? I can’t hear any of your thoughts. Maybe because he’s here that I can’t be in contact with you. His stench when he was an animal must have shocked my system.” He snarled at Aaron and Aaron growled back.
“I’ll tell you later. Right now, I’m hungry. We should go.” I grabbed his hand and pushed him to the door ahead of me. Vence scooted through the doorway and bumped Aaron on his way out. Vence then disappeared down the hall and I glared at Aaron. He then grabbed my wrist gently. This time, I was on my guard, ready to flip him out the window if needed.
Thanks for not telling him what happened. I really don’t want to fight while in a house of vampires. He smiled weakly at me then growled at someone behind me. I knew it was Vence and that he wanted me to speed up the process of leaving. I turned to Vence with the look of patience. He walked away discouraged.
“See you later!” I kissed him on the cheek. That’s a “you’re welcome” from me! I smiled at him and walked away. I could feel his blushing cheeks as I came into view of Vence. It didn’t mean I liked Aaron it just meant that I thanked him for not thinking about what had happened because if he did I can guarantee that Vence would attach.
“Ready to go, Vence? I am now starved to – death!” he smiled and we headed out the door. The air was so quiet and still. I could hear the rapid heartbeats of the sleeping birds. I could smell the blood of nearby raccoons and possums. Rustles in the trees above me shook with anticipation. “So what do we hunt first? Bears? Wolverines? You name it and I bet I can take the biggest one down before you take three small ones down,” I joked with him. He didn’t seem amused by my sense of humor.
“Tell me why I can’t get into your mind? I know you are thinking things, aren’t you?” he focused again on my guarded head.
“Well, yea I have thoughts but I gained power to block out any unwanted guess trying to break in, not that I’m saying you’re unwanted. I really enjoy your company. You’ve made me feel special and wild. I haven’t felt this way since I was twelve.” He was staring not at my forehead but at my mouth, the words I had said shocked his knowledge.
“Did you just say you control who goes into your mind? Impossible. Nobody has been able to do that since Lord Calione, leader of the Europe vampire clans. Didn’t your adopted mother say that your real father was French?” he was being mysterious. I didn’t bother looking into his brain because all the information was excluded out onto his face. “How do you send any messages, like you did with Aaron back at the house, if you’ve had your brain under control?”
“It isn’t hard, really. You just focus on the person you want to talk to and focus on the person or people you don’t want in your mind. It’s a sense of multitasking.” I was confused. Why did he ask was my dad French? Why was he boggled? Did he think that I was somehow related to Lord Calione? How silly. My small-populated family couldn’t be related to him, such royalty. There was no possibility. Was it?
I saw a humongous bear staring at us as if he knew what we were. I lunged and he took off running in the opposite direction. I was in the position to chase it when Vence grabbed my arm. I hissed at him with disapproval.
“That bear could have filled me at least halfway up and he now is gone! If I hurry I can still catch him!” I pulled away from him excitedly and ready to eat. After that rude mishap with Aaron and the reaction, I was hungrier than ever and didn’t need to talk about anything related to that.
“That can wait. You can hunt him down by his scent later. I want to know your father family tree. The whole story.” He seemed like he didn’t care if I was starting on the verge to my second death. That’s when fury built up in my veins. I could feel pressure from my head to my toes. I finally unlocked my blocked mind and let him have everything he wanted.
Well, I’m leaving! All you do is talk about my ability and how I got it, and talk about eating, and then go back to the conversation about my ability! I’m tired of this rat race. I licked my lips to the thought of a rat. I was extremely hungry enough to eat a rat. I just don’t get it! For a minute, I would like to talk about you! I just can’t believe I almost liked you. Your brain is everywhere. Learn to keep your mind in one place! I turned and walked away. I then ran up a tree and caught a family of possums. Mm! 1/5 of me is filled. I just need more. I thought quietly to myself but loud enough for Vence to hear.
I swung through the trees to my house and through my bedroom window with a light tap on the ground. My family was not home yet and we were out of any type of raw meat. I didn’t want to go hunt. I was too afraid of running into Aaron or Vence. I had not one dollar on me right at the moment so I walked towards the bank. I didn’t bother to get any when Vence transformed me though because I wouldn’t need to eat chips or drink soda anymore. I didn’t realize that raw meat isn’t free when you don’t have time to hunt. I would need to hurry knowing my family could be home in minutes.
I went outside and ran towards the closest bank possible.
When I went into the bank, people looked different than how I would have seen them a few days ago. I saw one guy with a hat on looking suspicious and I froze tensely He was wearing baggy jogging pants with a navy blue hoodie and Nike’s and had a duffle bag on his shoulder even though it looked empty. He had a bulge in his back pocket and I, almost as a reflex, tried to reach out and touch it but had to refrain when people looked at me confused.
I was too nervous to concentrate on him but I rather knew what his plan was already. His green, scoping eyes checked the perimeter. There was only one security guard in the whole place. His rapid heartbeat was tempting to rip out with force and suck up the blood in it. His blood smelled of beautiful O positive and was delicious and pure.
No drugs? No alcohol? Ninety-five dollar pairs of shoes that was brand new? This person is an idiot already.
Then, in a flash of light, he pulled the bulge out of his back pocket and aimed it at the bank tellers. The security officer did nothing about it. Everybody ran screaming from the building. I stood there being bumped into. He held the bank tellers that were already up at the counter hostage. Pure adrenalin rushed right through me lighting up my whole body.
“What are you looking at? Leave!” the person said to me when the room was empty as the blankness inside my head. I could tell he didn’t know what he was doing. He had sweat running down the side of his face and his heart pumped in the rhythm of newborn baby rabbits. The guard moved quickly next to the armed robber. “If you don’t want to leave, Bob get her and put her with the bank tellers now!” I saw the officer with no hesitation grab my arm while the person, now holding a gun and knife, pushing people into separate rooms and locking the doors.
“Come now, pretty. You don’t want to make the boss mad!”
Boss? Was the security officer working for the bank robber? Inside help? Obviously. If you can’t trust the authorities, who can you, trust? I then could feel my ice-cold heart getting colder. My eyes I knew got red as the blood I would drink in moments. Bob backed ten paces backwards and looked frightened at me; my eyes. I then felt a hand on my elbow that was holding me from attaching.
Who do you think you are touching . . . .? My thoughts trailed off when I saw Aaron behind me with Vence.
“Let’s take these boys down! I’ve been wanted to kill something for the longest!” Aaron glanced at Vence over his shoulder. He was hype and raw. He cracked his knuckles and changed into the big, beautiful wolf he was. Bob was shocked and wet himself a little. I smelt the urine and cringed my nose. By now, “the boss” was staring. He thrust out the gun in our direction and started firing at me and Vence. He was shocked when the bullets bounced off our cold skin and hit his ear now gushing out blood.
“Now I’m mad. Aaron, will you do me a favor and get rid of,” I sniffed the air once more, “the O negative officer.” I pointed to Bob and smiled his way.
I had barely finished my sentence when he already had the person by the shoulders. He was flinging him around like he was playing a corny game of cat and mouse. It was sad but amusing in a way. The officer looked like a plastic doll compared to Aaron’s height and ferociousness.
“Don’t damage him too bad, Aaron. The police will be here in exactly three minutes,” Vence said showing his fangs towards both men. “Don’t try to get blood everywhere. Luna is still having a little trouble with human blood.” He nodded to me a signal to attach. I lunged at the boss and had his neck next to my face. He smelt so perfect and juicy. His bleeding ear was tempting and lushes as if speaking to me. I was about to bite into him and drink every drop of that road kill runt’s blood until – “Wait, Luna! Someone is watching!”
We turned around and saw Claire glaring at us through the bulletproof glass with a bag in her left hand.
“What are you three doing? I knew you were wreck less but to kill an innocent man? You are lucky that you have me to watch you!” she was appalled.
“He is not innocent!” I hissed through my teeth at her. “And I can’t help it if I have a taste for O positive blood. Vence is practically starving me!”
“Well just because you’re starving doesn’t mean you can get all vampire-ish on them. Just leave them.”
I didn’t know what to say. I knew she was right but I had to much pride at the time.
“Well if we leave them, they’ll expose us to this experimental world. We can’t have that!” I was sniffing the neck of my poor victim and saw Aaron’s confusion, as always.
“Just knock them over the head or something. The police will think they had a nightmare and won’t believe a word they say. Their hypothesis would be that some heroic people probably knocked them over the heads, and ran away to exclude from being known.” She smiled as if she had just thought of the best getaway plan ever known to humankind.
“Alright, hit him Luna, nice and hard enough so they remember nothing.” Vence was looking like he enjoyed this. I sighed and hit the criminal and his partner in crime hard enough so they would fall asleep.
I don’t think I killed them. But if I did, you never saw me! I heard sirens of police cars and quickly tied the two mischief-makers with extension cords and ran out the backdoor. Aaron ran with me and changed back to human form as soon as we jumped over the security fence. Vence took a long time coming out the surrounded building and I then worried if he got out without being seen. Then I worried about the security cameras. What if it had captured Aaron changing in its film? They would recognize his face since his uncle was the chief of police in town. We would be caught and be forced to die or be tested. At that time, Vence and Claire sped out of the building.
“About time! Where were you?” I was surprised that Aaron wanted to know. Maybe they were getting along better now. Yes!
“I needed to get the camera tapes. You know that bank has about five cameras. They love filming. I need to go. Isaac and Isaiah are worried about the both of us. Aaron, can you walk Luna home for me? Come on, Claire. I bet you twenty dollars that I can beat you home again!” he took off running.
“Aaron, make sure Luna gets home safely. She has done enough for one night. Here. I knew you were hungry, Luna. Bye!” she sped off toward the house after handing me a bag.
“Well then, right this way my lady,” Aaron said stretching out his hand in the direction of my house. “To be honest, I always wanted to know if in a race would a werewolf win or a vampire. Want to find out?” I nodded excitedly. He seemed better now than the past few days. The day I – broke up with Aaron, he seemed depressed and had no approval on Vence and his family. But now he seemed happy for me like in my dream. I followed Aaron and we started running. When I came in view of my house, I saw that they were still not home; I looped around the back to my window. I shimmied up some trees and jumped right through to my room. I didn’t recall leaving my window open but I was having too much fun to care. Aaron then also jumped through with ease.
“Wow, that was an extremely good work out if I may say so myself.”
“Sure but I let you win, Luna. I wanted to see you happy. That is all I really care about.” He smiled and then looked down at the rug. “Earlier today, I didn’t mean to do – that. I honestly tried to stop myself. I did!”
I looked at him and touched his face with the palm of my hand. I could see he was telling the truth. “I. Believe. You. That was the past. This is now.” I then heard my favorite little footsteps come through the front door. “Tina! Is that you?” Her little pitter patter feet marched upstairs and jumped into my arms and gave me a big hug. She smelled delicious. After the person with the bleeding ear, I\'ve been thirsty and thriving for something down my throat. Aaron then saw my reaction and put his huge hand on my shoulder. I put her down and Lyle came galloping in. Unlike other 7-9 year olds, Lyle doesn’t mind girls kissing him on the cheek or himself giving a kiss. He kissed my cheek and went back playing his game that was planted in his palms and had his thumbs glued to the buttons. Then the big, bad girl wolf came stomping in my room. She wore a shirt that was even too big for me to wear. It said “I LLLOOOOVVE Goofy Burger!” on the top. Her shorts were wet a little and she looked sticky.
“Dinner was terrible, Luna! When we got there, there were thousands of people there. We waited for our table for a half hour. Then the waiter was so clumsy to spill someone else’s drink on me. You know, I wouldn’t mind if it was mine because they’ll give me two free refills, but it was someone else’s so I can’t get a refill. But they are paying my dry cleaning bill. Then on the way home, the car broke down and daddy is now fixing it himself. Ugh. Dinner was terrible. Hi Aaron! You’re looking handsome as always.” She glanced at us together and snickered. She then left to get the ringing phone.
“It’s for you Luna,” my mom sung in a flirty tone, “it seems like it’s a boy that isn’t Kyle or Eli or Mike.” I grinned embarrassedly at Aaron.
There was a howl from outside and I knew it was Mariah calling Aaron home. “I should probably get going. You and Vence may have a lot to talk about. See you at school, tuna fish!” he headed for the door instead of the window.
“Yea. See ya later! I’ll text you before you decide to sleep, ok?”
He nodded in response and zoomed down the hall. I heard my mom drop a bag of left overs on the floor as a shock to seeing him. I then heard mumbling, a giggle, and the door close gently. I picked up the phone and spoke with a ring in my voice I just couldn’t hide.
“Hey. So you got home safely I see. Well, Claire says to open up the bag she gave you and you will find a surprise. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I\'m sorry for only talking about you and not anything of me.”
I was surprised. “This coming from the guy who worries only of me or think of his existence.”
“Did you ever think that my reason of existence is you?” I could feel the bell tone in his voice. If I had any blood in my body, I would have blushed. He sounded so sweet.
You are cutest and sweetest ever in my lifetime. I like you a lot. I realized that he read my mind and I wanted to kill something. I sucked on the meat harder until it was completely dry and tasteless. I took the other one out and drunk it up. “I didn’t mean to think that. It kind of slipped out.” I felt really . . . dumb. What if he didn’t like me that way? What if he thought of me as a best friend? Not likable? Why would I not be likeable? I have a great sense of humor; I am creative; I’m not girly (I’m more of a rough at times girl but not a tom-boy); and over all, I look awesome, especially now since I am a blood sucker.
“Luna, I can smell the chicken legs all the way through the phone. You should really save those as a midnight snack because when you get so hungry you can’t ignore it, you might go hunting for humans again but you’ll think you’re dreaming.”
Dreaming. Now, I hated that word. I’ve been having dreams and daydreams since this all went into my mind. I dreamt about the weirdest things now a days. I use to just dream about me on a beautiful Alaskan Husky dog fighting crime and helping little children cross the street (go figure about the children), but now all I daydreamt about were rivalries against vampire and werewolf. Vence’s vicious vampire family or Aaron’s wild werewolf clan? I was never good at making decisions. They seemed to me unnatural or hard.
I put away the chicken. “Yeah, yeah, yeah. All I heard was something about dreams,” I pretend shuddered, “anyway; it’s not hard to resist the hunger. Back at the bank, I was kind of hoping that you were going to stop me. And when I got home and my human family stepped in I smelt their blood but resisted until you called me, then you reminded me of why Aaron had to take me home alone.” I smiled thinking of how much fear both criminals had in on faces. Vence just blabbed on about dreams and his first ones. Five minutes later, I had tuned him out completely.
Then I stared at my TV that I had crushed. It was still bitty. I messed with my mind a little and something moved it. I thought it might have been an insect since I left my window up all day I assumed. I focused on it again and it lifted upward just as I wanted it to. Instead of getting all hyped, I focused a little harder and it unraveled and sat gently back on my wall. I was even amazed. I wanted to show everybody how awesome I was but I couldn’t. Before I knew it, my mom was telling me to cut off my lights and go to sleep. I wasn’t about to sleep, though. Since I was a vampire now, I did not need rest nor have relaxations or anything like that.
I then realized I was supposed to text Aaron before he went to sleep. From all the way down the street, I could tell he was yawning tiredly.
I whipped out my cell phone since I was talking to Vence on the house phone. I have him on speed dial. Number two actually. Number one is the police.
“Huh.” I heard Vence over the phone.
“Nothing, thinking to myself.”
I typed on my phone and sent it.
Goodnight little mutt. See you tomorrow!
He texted me back:
Yeah bloodsucker. See ya tomorrow!

~Chapter 3~
When the sun kissed the sky and made a painting of a perfectly ripe peach, I got up and took a nice ride out my window. I flew through the new morning trees and enjoyed the smell of the dew droplets on the leaves of bushes and the grass. I hadn’t seem to notice that it was almost time to go to school until my hearing heard Tina started crying. I rushed the way I came and found her sitting outside of her crib bleeding a little on her leg. Someone left a butter knife in her reach and she got a hold of it. My mom was in there with her.
“Moon, get me the Band-Aids out of the Aid closet.”
I dreamed on and ignored her request to me. I just couldn’t concentrate. The blood smelt nice. It smelled sweet, sugary, natural, and spicy. I then came to my senses and slowly backed out of the room trying not to move too fast or my mother would suspect something. The silence of the house was confusing a little. My nerves just waited for some noise to stir up the house full of excitement.
I rushed to the closet and got the Band-Aids. I rushed back into the room and handed them to her standing about five feet away so I would not be tempted. The cut was clean now and little Tina was smiling at me with her adorable not-yet-have-many-teeth mouth. I smiled back at her.
“There you go munchkin. All better. Luna, why aren’t you dressed? Its ten minutes ‘till school starts,” she said while scowling at my night clothes that was still on me. Then looked at her watch to make sure she was right.
I followed my brain telling me to glance at myself and I saw how ridiculous I looked. I ran to my room and got my clothes. I wanted to wear my red top that had silver print on it with my black leggings but I thought that in my condition I should not wear red. I found my blue tank top, a leather jacket, and my black jeans, hung them over my arms, and scooted to the bathroom. Before I reached the bathroom, I found out that I wasn’t the only one late waking up. Cleo came out of her room with her clothes and eyed me then the bathroom door. We both knew that Lyle was in there for his “before school” potty break.
Lyle heard the early morning silence also and knew we must have woken up late again. He opened the door slowly and ran screaming from the room. Cleo and I paused a minute to laugh aloud. Then I zoomed into the room and managed to lock the door before she realized I was gone. Cleo kept banging on the door yelling at me until my mom marched up the steps and dragged Cleo to the adult bathroom. My mom then yelled to me about I had three more minutes. But I didn’t need three. I was done before Cleo was done deciding if a shower was faster or a sink wash which usually took her about eleven minutes to decide. I turned the shower on, got in it for ten minutes, dressed, and was out the bathroom.
I grabbed a bottle of blood that I squeezed out of the meat package Claire had given me last night, and rushed out the door. I saw Aaron coming out of his front door and racing to my side well rested today than any other day I have seen him.
“How is your day so far?” I asked him with a look of confusion.
“Great! Mariah caught some sort of bug and she is sick. That also means she won’t be on watch duty for any evil vampires tonight with me. That also means that she won’t bug me on advise about this guy she sort of likes at her school.” His face was lit up like a bunch of fireworks. I was somewhat worried about how he said “evil” vampires. I hadn’t seen any other vampires since I was turned into one. I wasn’t even sure there were any in Oregon at all. Maybe not even in all of the west coast of this nation. Was the Rose clan the only clan for miles?
“Oh, I’ve been meaning to ask you something for the past two years. Why don’t they go to our school? You know, Mariah, Adam, Tommy, Paul, Terry, Ben.”
“I guess they just got attached after a while. In addition, it’s actually a tradition for at least one werewolf in every clan to go to a normal school to snoop out any other vampires, even though there hasn’t been a vampire here since the Roses’ moved in town. You know that the forecast calls for sunshine all day after ten o’clock. Shouldn’t you stay home?”
“No. Claire, Vence’s sister, gave me a make-up that keeps light off me for at least nine hours or so. That’s all day plus an extra hour! When I have it on, I can withstand even the strongest heat wave. It even keeps my human color in my face so it won’t look like I’m losing color or what not.” I pulled out the make-up for him to see. I started to put some on when some light beams beamed from behind some clouds and landed on my tibia bone. It stung a little and left a mark.
“Well, whatever you say, but I’m running to school. You can be late if you want.” He got smaller to my eyes as he ran up the street and turned the corner. I decided I didn’t want to be left alone so I jetted up next to him and we jogged. Aaron and I were on school grounds three minutes before the warning bell even rung.
“Well, if it isn’t the happy couple.” Taylar called out next to her car parked in the school parking lot. “Been kissing today yet?” Taylar asked when she saw us out of breath. Taylar and Kaytlin looked at two of us with interest.
We glanced at each other and spread about three feet apart.
“We kind of broke up over the weekend.” I thought that my chuckle at the end would have released some tension from the air, and it rather helped until they realized I wasn’t joking.
“What happened? Tell me details! Why? I heard a rumor but I didn’t know it was –." she stood there shocked. “So you’re single now? Oh no. This is not good. We need to find you a boyfriend before the Halloween dance next month.” She grabbed my hand but I pulled away. My matchmaking friend never wanted any of us single, even though she was single.
“Before you get out of control, I already have someone in mind!”
“Who? You need to tell me!”
Before I could say his name, Aaron tugged on my arm and I saw Vence pulling up in his slick, black Mercedes behind where Taylar and Kaytlin were standing. I smiled and Aaron gave a smirk.
Of course. Aaron joked. The prince of blood arrives in style. He needs to make a good impression on people who don’t care. Aaron gave me a shove through my rib cage.
Be nice, Aaron, I thought to him and knew he got my message when he grunted with disobedience. And he is not the prince. He needs to make an impression because that’s who he is. And my friends do care for your information. Now hush.
Vence got out the car and headed for where we were standing. The whole school seemed to be staring.
“Wow. He can make an impression,” I heard someone behind us say. It sounded like Mike stopped playing with his ball just to look at the black Mercedes.
“The boy can be a gorgeous beauty when he wants to be.” Kaytlin nodded in agreement to one of her cheerleading friend.
Claire was in the back of Vence driving her green Corvette that had Dayan and John in.
See, my friend care!
“Hey, Luna!” He kissed my cheek and Aaron snorted a snort of jealousy. Ignoring his geeky comment, Vence continued, “May I walk you to your first class?” Vence put an arm around my shoulder.
“Yes you may.”
“Oh, and Aaron, thank you for inviting us to your formal party, tonight.” He winked at him.
“You are completely welcome, prince demon, see you around.” Aaron bowed lightly at Vence and disappeared into the school’s front doors, happily skipping along to his own rhythm.
“How come I didn’t get invited to this party?”
“Well actually Luna, you are invited. It’s really just a meeting between my family and his family.” Vence nodded to me as trying to signal me some type of clue. I then picked up the signal and realized it was a deal between the vampires of the northwest region and the werewolves on the west. Since both the Rose and the Vitaro families are the oldest of all the clans on the west, they get to host the annual treaty party.
By now, Kaytlin and Taylar were confused and pissed off at me. They left our presence and headed to their first classes.
Besides that incident with the invite this morning, the rest of the day went along just how I planned it. The sun didn’t shine until later on; I barely got mad, and when I did, it wasn’t over the top like it was the first time; things weren’t awkward with me, Vence, and Aaron last period. Everything went smoothly. When the last bell rung, I was out the door before any of my friends. When I did see Taylar, Jayne, and Kaytlin together waving their hands over to where they were sitting, I skipped over and planted myself near the bench.
“Hey! So you have plans tonight? Oh wait, you do.” Jayne rolled her eyes. Kaytlin tried to roll her eyes too but she never learned how so she kept her eyes together.
“I'm sorry! I didn’t even know it was tonight. I barely knew there was a party. I wish you all could come but it’s traditional. You wouldn’t understand what was going on.”
“And you will?”
“Yea. I’ve learned in the past few days that would take the average human a month to understand.”
“So now you’re better than us. Wow, way to keep the sisterhood.”
“I didn’t say that. All I'm saying is that it’s boring. There will be old men saying native chants. The food isn’t the best.” Technically, I was lying but it was for their protection. I thought my friends were kind of being total brats. I took three short breaths to calm myself down. I continued our conversation, “Come on. I would really like you to except it. I can’t turn this down, my whole family is going and they’re expecting me to go. It is required!” I heard a buzzing in my head and knew that my mind was just itching to control their brains. I knew it was possible I just didn’t want to try it.
“I guess I can forget about it.” Kaytlin tried rolling her eyes again but didn’t succeed.
“Yea. I mean it’s for your family, right? No one can go against their family.” Jayne swung her long ponytail and gave a smile.
“Okay. I’ll forget about it if you let me pick out your clothes. Actually, let me in your closet and go through your items.”
I was stuck. I never allowed anyone in my closet before. Not even my mom. I hated people in there for some reason since my grandma died. I never understood why but to me it seemed cursed; Ghostly; Creepy to let anyone enter.
“Don’t go in. I’ll take my clothes out for you to see. Deal?” I extended my arm out to the fashion expert herself: Taylar. She hesitated first and then shook my cold hand. A shiver went down her spine to the feel of the arctic ice cold.
“A deal. Now, the party starts in an hour and a half, right? We need to go and find you something to wear. Let’s go!” she grabbed my hand and whipped me from the table. But when I started running towards the woods, she froze in her spot.
“Come, come,” I called to her like a dog, “we need to get going.”
“I am not going through there. There are bears and wolves. Please, can we take the other way?”
“No. There’s no time. If we take that way, we won’t get home in time for you to pick out my clothes.”
I gave a pleading face and she shook herself free of the steel that was holding her feet to the ground and followed me. We began to run but didn’t get very far when a wave of rancid smells hit my nostrils. I knew it was wolf, since Taylor couldn’t smell the potent aroma, but it was an unfamiliar wolf smell. I looked around to see if I could spot the snoopers anywhere. Rustles were in the shrubs around us. I couldn’t see much from the distracting whimpers of my friend in fear, thinking up every possibility of us perishing, and hugging my right arm like gravity to falling objects. If I were regular, I would have shook her off and told her to “man up” but the only thing stopping me from revealing myself and attaching whoever was watching us was her gravitational pull on my arm.
I swung my head from right to left, trying to keep up with continues of the shrubs being disturbed. I knew it was more than one of the sickening creatures. I heard one whimper of a wolf and the rustling stopped completely. Mariah came out of the green scenery first. She gave a smile and nodded for the others to come out. I didn’t feel comfortable around them all that had hatred eyes locked on me.
“Are we gonna kill her, Mariah?” A kid asked anxiously.
“We should tear her limbs from limb for even betraying her own people for . . . one of them!” a young girl no older than thirteen said shaking her head.
“Puppies, this is my friend, practically my god sister Luna. And just for the record Karie, it was an accident. The . . . I’ll tell you later. Anyway, don’t you know we have a tribe meeting tonight? Why aren’t you at home getting ready?” Mariah asked with her eyes curiously on Taylar. “Your family already left and told me to tell you to get your behind there.”
“Yea. I'm on my way now.” I slid past them easily but Taylar was shocked out of her cloud white skin. She kept murmuring “wolves” and “monsters” unaware that all eyes were on her. Mariah mouthed something to the younger wolves and disappeared into the woods without a wave goodbye.
“Well let’s go and makeover me up!” I grabbed her arm and jogged the rest of the way home hoping she would snap out of the trans.
Instead of going through the door, I climbed up the tree next to my window of my second story bedroom human-normal and excited to get ready for the party. It just felt good to climb up something. Taylar was shocked of how fast I got up to the top of the tree. I didn’t use my real speed so she shouldn’t have been so surprised. It took her five minutes just to climb up half the way. The tree wasn’t big but still she would look down at the height and shiver.
“Alright, now I have a few dresses that I think will be kind of cute on me tonight.” I laid out three dresses on my bedsheets.
One was purple with black, glamorious designs going down the back. It was gorgeous and elegant. I had two purses that went exactly right with the dress. The second option was a torquoise strapless with a slit going up to my left caf. I had shoes to go with it that had a heel almost two inches high. The last dress was a sexy, short black that I personally thought was too much just for a . . . she still wasn’t talking. The fashionista wasn’t even admiring the dresses I had picked. She was just looking at me with a hint of fright.
“What are you staring at? Look at the dresses!” I became irritated.
“I know you know what’s going on. I saw what was in that forest.” She pointed a skinny finger outside towards the trees.
I froze. Was she kidding, trying to do reverse-phycology on me to get the truth? Or did she really know? I peered into her brain and saw pictures of just a few minutes ago in the trees. She did indeed see the one known as Karie change back into her human form and that’s why she was murmuring. I hung my head and tried to think. My mind was boggled and clustered with asumptions.
“Well, what did you see? My other friends? So what?”
“No, the wolfs! If you really don’t know what’s going on, your other friends are wolves and I bet my soul that Aaron is one of them –.”
“Ok,” I interrupted, “Yes. So you saw them. Happy days for you!” I went on trying to choose between the outstanding dresses.
“No!! Don’t you see, we can expose them and become famous and heroes to exposing the monsters of the northwest! Then, if there are more, we will be the ones that notify the military, and sector nine, like in Transformers.”
“We can’t do that. I will not have it.”
“Why not? When we die, on our headstones it’ll say R.I.P Great Heroes of Portland, Oregon! Don’t you want that?”
“Maybe. But I can’t have it. It isn’t that easy for me!” I was really hoping that she wouldn’t say anymore so I wouldn’t have to say more; to reveal more.
“Why NOT? You’re as normal as I am! You're not trying to protect your ex. After what he did to you.” she hissed at me.
“I am a . . . VAMPIRE.” I stopped motionless.
“Your what?” she whispered under her breath as if the secret I told her was common to her. She stared blankly at the wall of my room, “It makes a lot of sense now. But how come you can be around me or in the sunshine? Don’t vmpires die in sunlight and drink people’s blood?” she felt her neck uncomfortably.
I was surprised that she hadn’t yelled yet. “No, only in the movies. Vence gave me make-up so I wouldn’t have to miss school, unfortunately. I can be around you because I’m strong enough to hold my urge in. Besides, humans don’t appeal to me anymore, I'm more of an animal type.”
“So Vence is a vampire, too. Yeah, I kind of figured for some reason.” She tapped her temple.
“Well it looks like your going to have to come with me to the party. Let’s dress up!”
“Wait, why do I have to go?” she frowned.
“So I can make sure that you don’t say anything! I don’t trust everyone. You might say something on ‘accident’ and that person might blog it and I'm dead. I’ll take the torquoise.” I zoomed over using my real speed and grabbed it of my bed and flung to the bathroom in the hall.
“I won’t tell, I promise. And the way you described the party, it sounds boring.” She sighed as I came back out the bathroom.
“I only said those boring things because you were on my back about it. Now choose yours and we can go!” I looked down at myself and thought I did look rather dazzling. I allowed Taylar to glaze over the other two since we were practically the same size.
“Will you have regular people there, too? Does your family know? Are they vampires too?” she went into the bathroom and closed the door.
“Yes. No! No! Any other questions?” I yelled to her.
“Just one more: Does purple look good on me?” she came from the bathroom and stood in the doorway.
“It looks like a statue when you wear it. Twirl a little.” She twisted and I gave her a thumbs up for trying.
Then there was a slight breeze coming in through my open window. Vence was standing on a branch outside and flew right through it without warning. He gazed in shock at me and my dress, and then slowly turned towards Taylar still standing in the doorway. He looked back at me and grinned.
“I didn’t see anything!” Taylar exclaimed.
“It’s cool. You can relax, Tay.”
Another breeze came through the window and in came John staring at me with his mouth open then at Taylar that was shocked for the second time.
“John, do you mind taking miss Taylar here to our little party tonight?” Vence grinned.
“Sure, I’ll take her!!” he jetted over to her and held his hand out for her to grip.
“Ew! Don’t even think about trying to do that, she is older than you!”
John swirled his head around to face me, “Is she, Luna? Is she really?”
Not really, but she wouldn’t go anywhere with you alone! She knows about us. I glared at him and gave a smile wider then the circumfrence of earth itself. His goofy expression lowered and he became a normal gentleman.
“So, we ready to go?” Vence asked looking down at me.
“Yes. Yes we are. John, you're carrying Taylar!” I demanded without taking my eyes away from Vence’s flawless, pimple-free face.
We lunged through the window on to the branch and, with my gorgeous shoes in my right hand, dashed through the trees. I didn’t know how Taylar felt, but I sure knew how I felt. I felt excited to be dead. To be with Vence forever, until I actually die. My world was clearer with Vence around. When he wasn’t around, my life was a big blur of nothing but colors. He was everything I needed. As long as I had him I didn’t want or need more.
The four of us went deep into the woods and found a cottage that looked small but wasn’t on the inside. The huge cabin had only one big room. That one room was livlier than New York City was during the new years, even though half of all the guest were vampires. The people were divided by an invisible line right down the middle of the cottage starting from the door. The vampires were on the left and the werewolves were on the right. The first people I spotted was the Vitaro family. Adam nodded to me and Mariah motioned me to come over with them and chat. I argued with myself about going, I finally skipped over to them jollyly and planted my feet next to Adam.
“So Luna, nervous being around all these people? Especially vampires. Those bloodsuckers are evil but that is why we have this party!” he laughed and I knew he was talking about me.
“How do you know?”
“Well, your boyfriend Vence didn’t get all the tapes from the bank and my nephew is the chief of police and found one. But don’t worry, I haven’t told anyone else.” His face relaxed.
I never thought that vampires could forget anything but I guess they can.
“Thank you,” I whispered as soon as I saw my mom coming over. Oh gosh, I'm in heaps of trouble.
“Young lady!”
“Oh, hi mom. Before you say anything, I already know. You're going to say something about school ending and me not being home. Then you're going to go on and on about how there is no reason for me to be late. Finally, you’ll finish off with a big groan and mumble about how teenagers are so hard-headed and I'm becoming someone you don’t recognize. Mom, I've heard it and I know it by heart.”
She bit her lip, “Am I really that predictive?”
“You have no idea!” I patted her on the shoulder and waltz my way next to Claire.
“Well, look at you Ms. Glam. Looking fabulous tonight. And you brought a straight human. I’ve smelt her and she smells devine. How did you managed all day with her?”
“Oh, just stood away from her for awhile. She doesn’t just smell good, she’s also really smart, she figured out that the Vitaros’ are werewolves and we are vampires. She said she wouldn’t tell but I took her along just in case she changed her mind.” I then froze. I heard someone’s thoughts clear as day but I had the feeling the person didn’t know that I was listening. I knew it was a vampire because it was thinking about blood and how he couldn’t stand it for much longer but I saw no blood anywhere in the room besides under people skin.
Then I heard a sentence that I knew wasn’t good: Taylar, I’ll save you! I searched with my eyes for Taylar and found that she wasn’t in the room. I went outside with Claire and Dayan on my heals. I sniffed the air and caught a whiff of blood. I followed my nose and found Taylar with closed eyes and gasping for air on the ground while John was fighting some other vampire up in the trees to the north.
“Don’t worry sweetie! Everything is going to be alright!” I knelt down next to her and rubbed her head feeling how hot she felt. She was burning up close to the tempature of a flaming asteroid. She had a bite mark on her wrist and a cut as deep as the pacific ocean on her left arm.
“She’s loosing a lot of blood, Luna! What do we do?” Claire was shaking frantically at the blood on the grass.
“First, maintain your shaking! Second, we don’t do anything. We got here to late. She’ll be awake in a minute.” I was furious.
I looked over my shoulder and saw John struggling with destorying a destroyer. I recognized the guy from inside the log cabin with us. His name was Ronald Leather. He wasn’t like the Rose family who could contain their thirst, he was blood crazy for humans and secretly ate hikers who were unlucky to fall onto his path up in the mountains in canada. I snook into the enemy’s thoughts and saw the whole story. I rose up and ran towards the killer. I kicked him in the back with all my might; he hit a tree and his left arm shattered into pieces. He shrieked with anger but I knew no one would hear it since the music in the cabin was turned up so loud, I could bet people in town would hear some of the sound even though we were miles into the forest. Dayan and Claire got up from Taylor’s side and took Ronald by the shoulders and held him still while he figdet trying to be free of their grip..
John came over and gave a happy smile and said, “Hold on to your balls ladies and gents! This will be an ass kicker!” He moved to the side and cleared a perfect view for me. “Since Taylar was your best friend, Luna, you may do the honors!” he bowed and I knew exactly what he meant. Since I was the newborn, I was the strongest of them all. I moved up to him and horizontally sliced Ronald in half. Dayan, wanting a piece of the action, ripped his other arm off his body. It was dreadful but satisfying. We heard mumbles and saw Taylar rise up like those vampires on the movies that usually be in coffins.
“Am I dead?” her eyes were wide and her pupils were a dark red.
“Sort of. Welcome to the vampire world!” Me, Dayan, John, and Claire smiled.
Taylar’s mouth dropped open in shock.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


on Jun. 4 2012 at 3:16 pm
Wow really really good! Are u adding more?