The Montgomery's | Teen Ink

The Montgomery's

December 22, 2011
By Olivia Garland, South Portland, Maine
More by this author
Olivia Garland, South Portland, Maine
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note: Jane Austin's writing is what inspired me to write about these four completely different sisters who deal with loss and loving others.

“Anne? I’m thirsty.” Charles said from across the room. Anne looked up from her book and looked at her twin brother. He had been sick ever since he was a boy and now he’s in the worst state possible. He had the scarlet fever.

“Here you go.” Anne said in the most cheerful voice she could as she handed him a glass. She looked him in the face and did not see at fifteen year old boy, she saw a gray face with sunken cheeks.

“Anne I want you to promise me something.” He whispered to her. She looked up at the sun faded red wall paper to avoid his gaze.

“Anything.” She responded.

“Promise me that you won’t ever love someone because your told to,” He started. “Love someone truly and don’t ever marry for anything but love. I wish I could be there to see the man you choose but we all know I won’t be. Please choose someone whose worth you and your love, someone who is absolutely perfect for you.” Tears came to Anne’s eyes as she remembered that sunny afternoon when he had told her that she could only marry a man he chose for her. “I need to make sure he’s perfect! For my sister deserves the best!”

“I promise, I really do.”

“Anne, you’re the one who has gotten me through all the pain because I wanted to see my twin be happy, truly happy, because I know your not, I know you wish you were the one dying but I’m glad your not Anne because I love you.” Charles managed to say in a raspy voice. Anne felt the tears come down her cheeks for she knew it was the end.

“I love you too Charles, I love you too.” Anne whispered.

“Never forget anything I’ve ever told you Anne.”

“Never,” She spoke into the candle lit room. “Never.”



“I want to thank you all for coming, Charles would have been happy to see all these people who cared about him. I love-love’d my boy and it was a pleasure being able to watch him grow into a young man, even when the doctors said he shouldn’t have lived past the age of two. I will gravely miss him, knowing I won’t be able to see him grow into a real man, or see him marry and have a family. But I’ll always remember him and his life, his laugh, his words, everything about him as I’m sure so will my family.” Charles Sr. said to the small crowd. He looked at his family, his wife and four daughters, knowing the pain they were feeling inside.

Anne felt an arm slip around her shoulders. It was Margret’s, her older sister by two years. Margret gave Anne a squeeze. One the other side of Anne was Colette or Collie, five years older then Anne, and next to her was Veronica or Ronnie who was seven years older then Anne. Next to Margret sat a weeping mother, Elizabeth. Elizabeth almost lost her life after delivering Anne and Charles and still could not accept that her own child died before her. In the small crowd many family members had tears in their faces or in their eyes, except Ronnie who was as hard as a stone. Ever since Ronnie had lost Benjamin, the man she loved two years ago she had never been the same.


“I do not understand the point of sending bright flowers to a mourning family!” Collie exclaimed later the night in Anne and Margret’s bedroom.

“They are to show compassion.” Margret said to Collie.

“Still, what if these colored flowers made us feel worse? I say that they should give us food instead..”

“Food?” Anne asked “Why?”

“I-just- since when do I know what I was talking about?” The three sisters laughed. Ronnie appeared at the door.

“Can you keep your voices down? I’m trying to sleep.”

“Oh I am very sorry your highness.” Collie said in a harsh tone. She didn’t like the fact Ronnie did not care about the lose of Charles.

“The only highness around here was Charles.”

“Well, is that so? Upset that the attention left you since everyone cared about your loss before he got this sickness? What, two years of sympathy wasn’t good enough?” Collie said back with a raised voice.

“What I lost then hurt me more then losing someone we all knew was going to die anyway! What’s the point of crying over someone whose life could have ended any day?” Ronnie yelled to Collie. Silence filled the room and Anne spoke up.

“Because he’s your brother.”

“Was. He was my brother.” Ronnie responded then left the room. Tears ran down Anne’s cheeks.

“He still is.” She whispered.



“Hurry up Anne, we need to go to the schoolhouse!” Collie shouted up the stairs.

“Why do we have to? New people come to town all the time and we don’t give them welcome gifts. Why is the new teacher any different?” Anne complained as she slowly came down the stairs.

“Two words. He’s single.” Collie replied.

“Let me guess,” started Anne. “Mother.” they said in unison.


Outside the sun was shinning down on the fields as they passed in their buggy. Wild flowers were everywhere.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” asked Anne

“Mhm, the weather is nice too.”

“If only Charles was here, healthy, he’d be running around with a kite.” said Anne. Both girls laughed, remembering when they were younger. Each child had gotten a new kite and seven year old Charles had let go of his. Anne gave her his but he lost that one too.

“Oh gosh how I miss that boy.” Collie stated.

“Me too Collie, Ronnie doesn’t though.”

“Well she’s as cold as a stone so we can’t expect much.” Both girls laughed again.

“We are here.” Yelled the driver and the girls stepped out of their carriage and looked at the old school house. Just then the door opened and a young man, about the age of twenty-six, stepped out. Collie held her breath. Anne looked at Collie and then at the young man who met Collie’s gaze. Anne smiled.

“Hello, I’m Anne Montgomery, and this is my older sister Collie.”

“Um-Hello, I’m Robert Daniels, the new school teacher, please both of you come in.” He led the two girls into the small building.



“But Anne, you saw how blue-green his eyes were! They were stunning. And then his smile. Oh Anne, there hasn’t been anyone in town but now him!” Collie exclaimed.

“Yes Collie, his eyes are stunning,” Anne said with a sly smile. “I thought that you weren’t ever going to fall in love.”

“I’m not falling in love, I just think he is very good looking.” Collie responded defensively.

“Collie. Don’t try to deny the obvious.” Anne said back with a laugh.

“*sigh* I-just. I don’t know, he’s different from the others. He doesn’t care about money or social status, he even said so! He also said that he cared more for teaching then anything because thats what he enjoys to do! All the men here only care about money, being the best, having the most, it’s disgusting! And finally there is a man who doesn’t care about any of that. He’s also kind, loving, funny, smart, good natured, positive, nothing I’ve ever seen in someone here! He’s perfect!”

“See, you are falling in love.” Anne said with a wink.



“Margret, you awake?” Anne whispered across the room.

“Yes?” Margret whispered back. Anne sat up.

“Collie is falling in love with Robert, the new school teacher, she wouldn’t stop talking about him and I could tell by the way she couldn’t take her eyes of his for a second when we met him.”

“Oh really?” laughed Margret. “Our sister who said she’d never fall in love?”

“Yes! And I think he might be falling for her too. When we arrived he was is a daze looking at her, I had to speak up to gain his attention.” Anne said. Margret giggled and Anne continued. “But really he is a nice man and is perfect for her! He wants her to paint pictures for his classroom. I bragged that Collie was an amazing painter, just to embarrass her.”

“Oh goodness, and she didn’t try to kill you after?” Margret said with a laugh.

“No, she was too distracted by Robert!” both the girls laughed aloud. The door opened and in step their mother, Elizabeth.

“What on earth is keeping you girls up and laughing?” asked their mother with a grin.

“Collie and how she is in l-o-v-e.” giggled Margret.


Down the hall the clock chimed 6 o’clock. Footsteps came bounding down the hall and Collie bursted into Anne and Margret’s room.

“Where is Margret?” Collie said in one quick second. “I need her to do my hair! Robert is going to be here in half an hour and I am not ready!”

“Margret is helping MiMi with dinner.” Anne explained to her frantic sister.

“I will do your hair, come and sit next to Anne.” their Mother said.


“Darlin’, go’n get the bread outta’ the oven.” MiMi said to Margret from across the kitchen.

“Yes, MiMi!” She responded. MiMi was African and had came to Britain when her old owners moved here. The Montgomery’s bought her then freed her but she stayed with the family. Margret was her apprentice in the kitchen.

“After ya get the bread, go’n get the desert ready.”

“Okay MiMi.”

“Thank ya miss Margret.” then MiMi was out in the dinning room, setting the table. Margret looked at the clock, six-fifteen, only fifteen minutes until everyone will see her masterpiece.

“MiMi told me to grab the ham, bring it to the table.” asked a strange voice. Margret turned around.

“Uh,” Margret uttered. She looked at this strange man. He had tan skin with sea green eyes, a combination she had never seen before. “Heres the ham,” she said as she handed him the plate. “I’ve never seen you before, what is your name sir?”

“My name is Mason Betters, and yours miss?” He responded

“Margret Montgomery.”

“It’s very nice to meet you miss Margret.” He smiled.

“Nice to meet you too Mason.” She said back to him. He backed out of the room, still smiling. She turned to the oven with a smile and took out the bread.

“Who was that Margret?” a familiar voice sounded from the kitchen stairs. Margret turned and saw her sister Anne standing in the door frame.

“Um, Mason.” She replied.

“Mason huh? Well you too seemed to fancy each other.” Anne said with a smile.

“What makes you think that?”

“The way you both smiled at each other.” Her smile grew. Margret just smiled and got back to her task.




“How is working with the children? Is it hard dealing with all the different ages?” asked Elizabeth Montgomery.

“I can be a challenge with having three different age groups but the children are very well behaved and understand that there are younger and older students who are learning something different.” Robert responded. The Montgomery’s, their next door neighbors the Chester’s, and Robert Daniels were all seated at the grand dinning table at the Montgomery’s home enjoying their dinner with small talk. Robert is the center of attention for both families wanted him to marry one of their daughters.

“Well it must be hard living alone now isn’t it?” asked Mrs. Chester. Her daughter, Mary, blushed.

“Well not really, I would like to be with someone later on but for the moment being I want to get used to this town.” Robert replied, seeming rather uncomfortable with the question.

“Some young woman must if gotten your attention by now.” Mrs. Chester pressed with a smile. Anne and Margret both looked at Collie.

“There are many young women who are quite beautiful but one has definitely caught my eye.” He said with a nervous voice. Anne looked at him right as he looked at Collie who was looking down at her plate.

“I wonder who he is thinking off.” Anne whispered to Margret. She gave a sly smile.

“Maybe we should help dear Robert” Margret whispered back. Anne gave her a nod. Ronnie looked at them and said,

“You two girls really need to understand when another conversation is happening in front of you, to not have a separate one on the side.”

“Ronnie, hush.” their Mother hissed to her.

“I was simply trying to help my younger sisters learn so manners.”

“Well we do not need your help.” Margret spoke up.

“It seems to me you do.” Ronnie said then got up and left. The room was silent.

“So Robert, are you going to pursue this young lady you speak of?” Mrs. Chester asked. Anne rolled her eyes.



“Hey, Robert!” Anne whispered. He turned and saw her standing at the doorway. She motioned him to come over.

“Yes?” he asked.

“Shh! come here.” she said as she pulled at his arm. She took him to the library and closed the door. He looked at her with a skeptical face.

“Is it Collie that you fancy?” She asked eagerly.

“Wait, what?”

“Collie, is she the one you were speaking of at dinner, the one you find beautiful?”

“Well, uh-yes. Don’t say anything to her.” he answered

“Why ever not! Don’t you want to be with her?” she questioned.

“Yes of course! But Mrs. Chester said-”

“Mrs. Chester lies. She just wants her daughter to marry you, so she tries to eliminate she competition.” Anne said in one quick breath.

“So she is not engaged to someone from New York City?” Robert asked with a optimistic tone.

“Is that what Mrs. Chester said? No she is not! She fancies you, trust me.” Anne said with a smile. After their discussion on how he would make his move, they slipped back into the sitting room, hoping to not have been noticed. Their luck was out for only one person saw them, Ronnie.


“Anne how could you?!” Collie yelled to her sister. The clock in the hall struck 11 o’clock, all their guest had been gone for an hour.

“How could you take Robert away?!” she continued.

“I did not take him away nor did I try! Why would you ever think that?” Anne said back to her angry sister in the calmest voice she could.

“Ronnie told me she saw you and Robert walking away together, going into the library for a long time then you both came back. That to me sounds like taking him away from me!” Collie exclaimed through tears.

“Yes we did sneak away-” Anne started.

“How could you do this to me?” Collie cried.

“To talk about how he liked you!”

“Wh-what?”

“Yes, I asked him if it was you he liked, yes it is you! He thought you were engaged to someone from New York City, thanks to Mrs. Chester. Now he is going to ask you to go to Boston to an art museum with him later this week.” Anne explained.

“I-I am so sorry. I shouldn’t have actually believed Ronnie. Oh Anne forgive me!”

“Well of course I forgive you, and I understand why you did believe her.” Anne said.

“And he is going to ask me to go to the art museum?” Collie asked with a smile.

“Yes he is.”

“Oh Anne, ” Collie said as she fell on her sisters bed. “I can’t believe it!”


Margret opened the barn door with all her strength. She walked in and went over to her horse, Scar. He had a huge white mark on his black face that looked like a scar, hence the name.

“Ello boy,” Margret said as she patted his head. “Are you ready to ride?” He gave a happy noise in response.

“Do you always talk to your horse?” a voice said from behind Margret. She jumped a little in the air. The voice belonged to Mason.

“Oh sorry,” he said, “I didn’t mean to startle you.”

“Oh no, its okay, and yes, when a person talks to a horse, they know they’re loved.”

“Hm, I never knew that, I’ll have to talk to the horses now, won’t I?” he said with a laugh.

“You work with the horses?” Margret asked.

“That’s right, needed a job, this was the best I could find. Not to much asked for here in Boston.” He responded.

“Oh? Are you not from here?”

“Nope, from Baltimore, Maryland. Moved here hoping to get so money for my mother and I. She’s ill but we don’t have enough for medicine.”

“Oh my, I am so sorry!” Margret said with a worried expression.

“No it’s alright, she’s lived a happy life,” He said back. “Now I have a questions for you.”

“And what is that?”

“Well you talk to horses yes? Do you ever listen to them?” He asked and Margret laughed,

“What ever do you mean?”

“You ask if they want to go for a ride do you choose where too? Or do they?”

“I choose?” she said with confusion.

“Well how about we let Scar choose where?”

“But I don’t know the area, how will I get home?” Margret asked.

“I’ll go with you.” He said with a smile.


“This is breath taking.” Margret breathed as she looked at the waterfalls. She held on to Masons waist to keep from falling off Scar.

“See what happens when you let the horse decide?” He said to her. Scar walked down a small path through the trees and came out at the bottom of the falls.

“Well, this looks like a good place to stop, ” Mason said as he slowed down Scar. He got down and wrapped his arms around Margret to get her down. “I brought my lunch, theres a sandwich we can split if your hungry.”

“Mmm, I’m starving!” Margret said and he laughed.

“Well alright then, lets go and sit by the pool.” They sat and ate while talking about everything in life. He told her about his life back on his family farm, about his mother, his five brothers, and his sister. Margret told him about her families story, about Charles and Ronnie. They laughed and talked until sunset.

“We should probably get you back,” He said, “Don’t want to get in trouble now.” They both laughed.

As they rode through the woods they listened to the crickets. He started to hum.

“What song is that?” she asked in a quiet voice, not wanting to ruin the peaceful atmosphere.

“It doesn’t have a name, my Mother would sing it if I was upset, back when I was a kid.” He said

“Well it sounds beautiful.”
He smiled and Margret rested her head on his shoulder. She looked up at the sky as the sun was finally set. The barn came into few.

“I had a wonderful time today.” Mason said as he lifted Margret off the horse.

“So did I.” she said and they looked into each others eyes. Margret barely took a breathe before he pressed his lips against hers. They parted only a little then kissed again as he wrapped him arms around her waist and pulled her close.


“Anne, are you still awake? I need to tell you a secret.” Margret whispered later that night.

“What is it?” Anne asked with excitement as she got up from her bed and ran over to her sisters.

“I think I might be falling in love.” Margret said

“First Collie and know you? Who is this man? Wait is it Mason?” Anne asked.

“Yes, we went riding today, we had a small picnic. We kissed, oh Anne I don’t know, him and I are so different! He has no money at all, he has no permanent home, Mother would never allow it!”
Anne smiled and said, “I wise boy once told me to not marry for money, but for love, no matter what anyone else said. I know your not talking about marring but you shouldn’t let others opinions stop your love.”
Margret gave her sister a huge smile and giggled with joy, “Then I will love him.”



Anne looked around the room at the sea of faces. Some she recognized while others she didn’t. “Friends of the Abrams I’m guessing.” She thought to herself. She saw Collie and Robert dancing in the center of the room with a large crowd. Anne smiled. “Look how happy Collie is, now if I could be that happy.” Anne then spotted Margret and Ronnie in the corner and started towards them then someone bumped into her.

“Oh miss I am so sorry, I lost my footing with all these people walking every which way.” a young man said to her with a worried look.

“Oh its perfectly all right, I wasn’t watching where I was going.” Anne said as she looked up at him. She couldn’t believe what she saw. He was incredibly handsome with pale blue eyes and red hair. He smiled a perfect smile.

“I don’t think I’ve meet you before, I’m Levi, Levi Abrams.” He said to her.

“Anne Montgomery, it is very nice to meet you.” They both bowed.

“May-may I ask you to a dance?” He asked.

“Well of course.” she responded. He took her hand and led her to the dance floor.


“Who is that man Anne is dancing with?” Ronnie asked her sister Margret.

“I’m not quite sure.” Margret responded as see looked through the crowd, hoping Mason was working this party. No luck for her.

“He is Levi Abrams, the eldest son of the family,” a young woman said to them, “not eavesdropping but that is him, the most eligible man at this party, considering he is the richest man in all of Boston.” the woman walked away.

“Go Anne.” Margret said with a laugh. Ronnie frowned and thought to hrself, “Not if I can help it.”


“You are a very good dancer miss Anne,” Levi said with a smile.

“Thank you but you could use some practice.” they both laughed.

“I’ve never met someone who could make me smile as much as you do Anne.” he said. She smiled up at him and he pulled her closer as the music slowed. They danced in silence, both wanting to say something to the other. Just then Collie came bounding over to Margret with tears in her eyes. Anne parted from Levi.

“Collie what is-” Anne started before Collie pulled her way. Anne looked back and mouthed “Sorry.” to Levi and rushed after her sister.

“A young man shouldn’t be left alone like this.” a voice said as Levi turned.

“Seemed urgent.” he said back to the woman

“I am Veronica Montgomery, Annes sister, may I have a dance?” she asked him.

“Um, yes.” he said as he took her hand. He knew very well not the deny a request on the spot.

“I am going on a date this up coming Friday to the theatre, and I was thinking, what if you came along and I brought Anne? Then it would be like a double date, my companion and I, you and Anne. What do you say?” Ronnie asked him with a devilish smile.

“With Anne? Yes!” he responded.

“Just don’t say anything! Its a surprise!” Ronnie’s plan was set in motion.


Collie pulled her younger sister to an empty room and began to cry.

“What is it Collie?” Anne asked with panic.

“It is Robert, he is leaving, after everything, after we were courting and in love. He said his life isn’t here, what he is looking for isn’t here and he’s moving, going to Portsmouth New Hampshire, never coming back.” Collie cried out. Her tears seeming endless. Anne’s mouth was agape for she could not believe what her sister was saying. Only two months ago Collie and Robert began courting, now he is leaving her? She was silent not knowing what to say to her hurting sister. Anne wrapped her arms around Collie and hugged her tight until the end of the party. The ride home was silent. Ronnie happy her plan was set, Margret sad she didn’t see Mason, Collie numb with sadness, and Anne who was happy but discouraged. How could Robert do this?


“My Ronnie, you look very dressed up and fancy this evening.” Anne said to her older sister.

“What is the occasion?” Collie asked with a sly smile.

“Oh this old dress? Well I am going on a date tonight.” Ronnie said as she turned to the mirror on her wall and powdered her face.

“With whom?” Anne asked. Ronnie turned and looked down at her feet.

“Um, well, its uh,” she said, pretending to be nervous, “Levi Abrams.” Anne’s face drained white. Collie and Margret’s mouths dropped. The room was silent.

“Excuse me?” asked Collie as she stood up rather quickly.

“You heard me, Levi Abrams, he asked me to go to the theatre with him. He is rather infatuated with me.” Ronnie said as she turned back to the mirror. Collie grabbed Ronnie’s shoulders and twisted her back around.

“How could you?” Collie asked with anger rising in her voice. Anne began to lose control of her tears and one slipped out. Margret aided her sister.

“I can’t help it, he is closer to my age then young Anne, I’m sure he knows that I mean, why else would he ask me, not her.” Collie then slapped Ronnie and then she, Margret and Anne then left the room as Anne began to cry. Before Margret left she turned to Ronnie and said, “You are not our sister, you are a monster.” with that, Ronnie was left alone.

Ronnie heard a knock and hurried to the door. Levi was standing there.

“Hello Levi, good to see you this evening.” she said with a smile. Collie, who had come down to get a drink for upset Anne, ducked behind the stairs, listening to the two.

“Hi, is Anne ready? Where is your date?” he asked. Collie’s mouth opened in shock.

“Oh I am so sorry! Anne does not want to come, she is apparently with another man, and my date is sick, I am so sorry Levi. We could go together is that makes things better.” Ronnie said with a smile.

“You little witch!” Collie cried from behind the stair case and bounded out with anger. She turned to Levi, “I’m afraid sir that you have been tricked! You were never going to be on a date with Anne, but with Ronnie! She wanted you to herself, not Anne, while Anne is upstairs upset thinking that you love Ronnie, not her!” Levi was puzzled.

“But it is Anne that I love-I thought-not with Ronnie!” he said with a urgent voice. Collie turned to her sister.

“You evil demon, how could you do this to your own sister? The one who probably cared the most for you since she has no mean bone in her body, who put up with your rude behavior because of what happened so long ago to you! Even though you did not shed a single tear when Anne lost Charles, when we all lost Charles, while Anne cried with you when you lost Benjamin! You are not out sister for you do not love us! You love yourself! I can not wait to see you in hell where you belong!”
Ronnie stared at her sister then turned and ran out. Levi stood awkwardly in the door and asked, “Can I go to the theatre with Anne?” Collie smiled,

“I’ll go and get her.”

Levi stood in the parlor, listening to Elizabeth go on and on about her youngest Anne. He smiled and would respond like a gentlemen but really was just waiting for Anne to come down the stairs. Just the Collie appeared in the doorway.

“May I present, Anne Montgomery!” she said. Levi looked and saw Anne. Her brown hair curled to perfection and her smile so bright. He thought he might fall over at the sight of her, he could not believe how beautiful she looked.

“Hello.” she said to him with a shy smile.

“H-hi, hello, Anne,” Levi said with a nervous voice. “You look beautiful.” his voice cracked a bit. Collie tried not to laugh.

“Thank you Levi.”
He held out his arm and led her outside to his carriage.

“Imagine, my youngest daughter, the richest woman in Boston!” Elizabeth exclaimed Collie and Margret rolled their eyes and laughed at their mother. Ronnie sat in her room upstairs, looking out the window as she saw Levi’s carriage ride away.


“Oh that was fantastic!” Anne said as she and Levi rode home from the theatre.

“The part where she,” he started.

“Oh goodness yes!” they both laughed uncontrollably. Levi looked out the window.

“Oh dear it is raining rather hard, guess we couldn’t hear it over our laughter!” they both laughed again.

“I had an amazing time Levi.” Anne said to him.

“As did I.” he smiled at her. “Kiss her, just kiss her.” he thought to himself.

“We are at the young lady’s home.” the driver said through the small window. Levi jumped out and took Anne’s hand. They ran to the doorway and as she was about to open the door he said to her over the sound of the pouring rain,

“Anne,” she turned to him, “I love you.” She looked at him and smiled, “I love you too,” he pulled her close and kissed her. The rain began to pour even harder as Margret opened the door not expecting what she saw. Anne pulled away,

“Goodnight Levi,” she said.

“Goodnight.” as the door closed he ran back to his carriage.

“Happy sir?” asked his driver.

“Very, very happy.”

Margret waited inside the barn, hoping to see Mason. She hadn’t seen him for a few days since he had called off of work. She was worried. He came through the door.

“Margret!” he said as they both ran to each other and embraced.

“Margret I must tell you something.”

“What is it?” she asked, worrying even more.

“My mother, she is dying, I have to go back to Baltimore in only an hour.”
She parted from him, thinking about what happened to Collie.

“You are leaving me?” she said as tears came to her eyes, “Are you going to come back?”

“I hope so, but thats what I need to tell you, or ask you. Margret I love you and I know we have only been secretly together for such a short time but,” he got down on his knee, “please don’t think I am rushing but, will you marry me?” Margret froze. “I wise boy once told me to not marry for money, but for love, no matter what anyone else said. I know your not talking about marring but you shouldn’t let others opinions stop your love.” Anne’s voice said in her head.

“No.” Margret said. “You need to be with your mother, just her, not me.” She ran before he could say a word. She bounded through her house and up to her room. Slammed the door, collapsed in the corner, and cried. She couldn’t believe what she had done.

“Margret what is wrong?” Anne said as she came into the room.

“Mason is going to Baltimore, his mother is dying. He told me he loved me and asked me to marry him.” she said through tears.

“Why are you crying then?”

“I said no.” Margret started to cry even harder.

“Margret,” Anne said as he knelt down next to her sister and took her sisters hand, “This is your happiness, go to him, right now and say yes! Don’t let what our parents think or his dying mother stop you from being with him!”
Margret looked at her sister and knew exactly what to do.


“Five minutes until departure!” yelled the conductor. Mason looked out the train window with a heavy heart. All he could think about was that Margret had said no. A tear escaped his eye and he quickly wiped it away. He then saw someone, running towards the train deck. It was her. It was Margret. A smile came to his face and he got out of his seat and ran to the door.

“Sir we are getting ready to leave.” the conductor said.

“I know let me just see someone.”

“No sir you can’t.”

“Mason!” Margret yelled. The trained started to move. Margret ran after the train but couldn’t keep up to the doorway Mason was standing in.

“Oh heck.” Mason said. He shoved the conductor to the side and jumped from the train. Margret saw him hit the ground and she ran as fast as she could to him.

“Mason, Mason, are you hurt?” she said as she landed herself next to him.

“I think I’m fine,” he said as he looked up to her, “I’m afraid to move.”

“Yes.” she said abruptly.

“What?” he asked.

“Yes, I’ll marry you.”
He got up, perfectly fine, and kissed her for he had never been happier.


“Anne, where is Margret?” asked her mother. Anne looked up and everyones eyes were on her.

“Um,” she started, “She is on a train to Baltimore.” Everyone got a shocked expression. Her mother fell into a chair.

“What?” her father said to her with an outraged voice.

“Do you all know Mason, the barn boy? She is engaged to him and is going to Baltimore with him for his mother is dying.” Anne said with a shaking voice, not knowing what her father would say.

“My Lord! My daughter is getting married to a lowly barn boy! She had so much going for her!” Elizabeth fanned herself. “Charles, you must go get her!”

“No!” Anne stood up. “No father, you can’t! Margret is happy!”

“She won’t be happy for long! I will disown her if she marries him!” Her mother cried.

“Would you disown me if I did this?” Anne turned, “Father, Charles told me with his last breath to marry for love, not money, and to not let anyone, not you or mother, get in the way. I told Margret that because it is true, marring for money is not happiness.” Anne said to her father, and to everyone. Her father’s face softened at the sound of his sons name.

“Oh child,” he said as he cupped his youngest daughters face in his hands, “You, and Charles are right.” He turned to his wife,

“Darling, I will not go to our daughter and take her away. You may disown her is she marries him, but I would disown her if she married someone else, for money.”
Ronnie went to her mother and fanned her face. Collie and Anne both smiled at their father.


“I am happily married Anne, his family is so sweet to me, I love them dearly, but not as much as I love all of you,” Anne said, trying to copy her sisters voice. Collie laughed. “We were married in a small white church down the road from his farm. It was bright out, perfect weather. Oh Anne I am happy! And news that would make mother happy. His mother died and left him, only him not his siblings, hundreds and hundreds of dollars. We are rich! Though I do not care about the money, I know mother probably does.” Anne and Collie laughed, “I miss you all and will be home in a week, With Love, Margret.”

“Well looks like Margret lucked out!” Collie said. Both girls laughed.

“Indeed!” Anne responded.


Ronnie entered the ballroom. Her mother brought her through the crowd. Since Ronnie refused to look for someone, ever since she lost Benjamin, her parents thought it best to arrange a marriage for her. They found someone only a year older.

“Sir Masters, this is my daughter, Veronica, the one I was talking about.”
Ronnie looked at him, he was good looking, enough, but she didn’t know what to think.

“Ah, Hello, miss Veronica.” He said

“Hello.” she said bluntly. He smiled. He thought she was beautiful, even with her sour expression. Her mother left them alone.

“Please, call me Peter.” he said.

“Ronnie.”

“I have been looking forward to meeting you, I know that an arranged marriage doesn’t sound exciting but, I’m willing to make it work, if-if you are.” He was sweet sounding. Ronnie couldn’t help but smile, a real smile.

“I am willing.” she felt shy all of a sudden. She didn’t know what to do.

“Can I have a dance?” he asked as he offered his hand.

“Yes.” he led her to the open floor as the music began to play.

“Are either of you happy for me?” Ronnie asked with a bit of pain. Her sisters still refused to speak to her.

“I know I made a mistake! Okay? Please just be happy for me!”

“You weren’t happy when Anne got Levi, you tired to take him. You weren’t happy when I had Robert. We won’t be happy for you because of what you’ve done.” Collie spoke out. Ronnie stormed out of the room, went down the stairs, opened the door, and broke out in a run towards the forest. The trees flew past her as she dodged and ducked the branches. Her heart beating fast until she lost the ground beneath her and the feeling in her legs.


“Maybe we should go looking for her. Its been so long!” Anne said to her sister. Collie’s expression was bleak.

“Alright.” she said. They went through the path, but no sign of their sister.

“Ronnie?” Anne yelled out to the trees.

“Ronnie?!” they both yelled. Silence filled the air.

“Anne, Collie?” a voice rang out in the distance. The ran as fast a they could. Ronnie’s voice grew closer and then a large hole appeared. The dropped to their knees and saw their sister laying on the bottom of the pit.

“Ronnie try and sit up!” Anne yelled. Ronnie got as far as sitting and moved towards the edge.

“Collie hold my waist, I’ll try and pull her up, I’ll need your help.” Anne said and Collie nodded. Anne got down and grabbed Ronnie’s out reached had.

“I can’t move my legs” Ronnie said through tears.

“We are going to get you out, just hold on” Anne said as she and Collie pulled with all their strength to get distressed Ronnie out.

“Common Collie!” Anne yelled.

“I am trying!”

“I few more inches!”

“Thats it, thats it!” Collie yelled and Ronnie was out. The three sisters collapsed into a hug as Ronnie cried.

“Please don’t hate me, please forgive me for everything I have ever done!”

“Oh yes, Ronnie, we love you so much and could never hate you!” Anne said to her sister through tears.

“Losing Charles was one thing, but losing you? I don’t know what I’d do.” Collie said to Ronnie. They picked her up and brought her home.


A knock came to the door.

“I’ll get it!” Collie yelled as she ran towards the door. “Hello?’ she said as she opened the door. There he stood. Robert.

“Collie, I made a huge mistake leaving you.” He said. She embraced him and tears came down her face.

“Oh Robert!” she said.

“I love you Collie, I never want to be with out you ever, ever again!”

“Robert, I love you, I love you!” she whispered through her happy tears. She pulled away and looked in his eyes. He was back.

“Marry me?” he pulled out the most beautiful ring.

“Yes!” before he could put the ring on her finger she jumped into his arms again, laughing through her tears.

“Are you really that happy to see me? Or is it all because of Robert?” a voice said. Collie looked. There stood a very pregnant Margret, dressed in the most elegant dress in the world. Collie screamed along with Anne who had been spying from the stairs behind Collie. The three girls hugged

“Oh Margret, you never told us you were expecting! I mean you are really expecting!” Anne exclaimed.

“I told her to wait to come until after the birth, but she wouldn’t listen.” Mason said as he came up behind his wife and wrapped his arms around her.

“Now where is Ronnie?” Margret asked.

“Inside with Peter, her almost husband!” Collie said with tears.

“She fell down a pit and broke one leg and one ankle, she is slowly getting better.” Anne interupted

“She and Peter are in an arranged marriage but are definitely in love.” Collie finished.

“Well look at all our happiness! Now may I sit down?” Margret asked. The girls laughed and Mason led his wife inside with Anne, Collie, and Robert tagging behind.


“Anne I am so glad your family is happy and everyone is at peace.” Levi said as he pulled Anne close to him.

“I am glad too, everyone is together, everything is perfect.” she said.

“Not everything. I know that Robert just proposed to Collie but he beat me too it.”

“What?” Anne looked up at Levi with question.

“I wanted to propose but now that Robert has, I don’t want to seem like I’m copying him.” Levi laughed. He got down on his knee and took Anne’s hand

“Will you be my wife miss Anne Montgomery? Will you be Mrs. Anne Abrams?” he asked with a smile.

“Yes Mr. Levi Abrams, I will.” she said with a laugh. He twirled her around the small sitting room they were in. First Margret, then Ronnie, Collie, and now Anne.


“Okay, okay the dress is perfect.” Elizabeth said to her youngest daughter. Collie, Margret, Ronnie, and their Mother surrounded Anne. Anne looked in the mirror and began to reminisce the past year. Last June Charles had died, August Collie met Robert, September Mason and Margret fell in love. In November she had met Levi and Ronnie had tried to steal him while Robert left Collie.. December, Margret and Mason ran away to Baltimore. February, Ronnie and Peter’s marriage was arranged and in March, and Ronnie had fell down the hole. May, Robert came back as did Margret and Mason. Also, she and Levi got engaged that same month. Now it is July and Anne is getting married and Margret is eight months pregnant.

“Anne are you ready?” Roberts voice came from the doorway.
She looked at her sisters and said “Yes.” they all smiled.

Anne walked down the isle and looked at Levi standing at the alter. She then looked at her father who was walking besides her.

“Your brother would be so proud to know you were marrying for love.” he whispered to his youngest daughter, his only son’s twin. She smiled and he he noticed something he had never noticed before.

“Why child, you have your brothers smile.” tears came to both their eyes and they hugged.

“Levi Abrams, do you take Anne Montgomery as your lawfully wedded wife?” asked the preacher.

“Ye-yes” he said nervously.

“And you Anne Montgomery, do you take Levi Abrams are your lawfully wedded husband?”

“Yes.” she said with a smile.

“I pronounce you man, and wife. You may kiss the bride.”
Levi leaned in towards his new wife and kissed her. The crowd cheered. Margret stood from her seat besides Anne and cheered. Her face then changed and yelled,

“Oh no! Not now!” she collapsed “The baby, the baby!”


“Mr. Betters, would you like to see your son?” the old nurse asked a very nervous Mason. He, Anne, and Collie all stood up. The nurse led the three into the small hospital room. Margret was sitting up in her bed, holding her little son. Mason rushed to her side and kiss her, then took his son in his arms.

“What is his name?” Collie asked her sister.

“Would you like to tell them, or shall I?” a weak Margret asked her husband. He smiled and looked down at his baby boy.

“Charles, his name is Charles the third,” Margret said as she looked at Anne. “Named for the brother who loved my sisters and I more then anything. Whose words and life impacted all our lives, so much.”
Mason handed a teary eyed Anne the small child.

“Welcome Charles Betters, welcome.” she said.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.