Under the sun | Teen Ink

Under the sun

By BadGirl GOLD, Dacula, Georgia
BadGirl GOLD, Dacula, Georgia

I'd rather be HATED for who I am
then be LOVED for who I'm not.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All I need is for someone to say "I believe in you."

The sand under my bare feet felt weird as I walked along the edge of the ocean. It was beautiful here. I loved it here. I wish I could stay here forever. I wish I could be with him forever. I looked ahead of me and my eyes scaled down his body. He was shirtless and barefoot. And his hair was the color of the sand.
I sighed and followed him down the beach. Every now and then he'd look back at me and smile. I kept my distance from him even though I wanted to hold his hand and kiss his cheek.
It would be best to stay away. Who knows what I'd do if I was close to him. How would he react if I took his hand in mine? Would he smile his beautiful smile? Or would he frown and let go? I frowned as I walked. A wave came and it kissed my bare feet. It was cool and refreshing. I was tempted to swim, but my bathing suite was back at the hotel.I sighed and turned to look from the way we'd come.
I watched as out foot prints disappeared in a wave.
It was beautiful here and the only thing that could make it any better was for Eric to kiss me.

We were back in the hotel. Eric just ordered room service and we were picking out a movie to watch. Our parents left for dinner so it was just the two of us. I wanted to smile in delight, but was afraid it would creep him out.
We had been best friends since we were ten and I've had a crush on him since I laid eyes on him. Did he feel the same way about me? I've been asking myself that for years now. I wished on every star, and every birthday he was what i wished
for. He was what I wanted. I'd give up everything for him.
Eric hung up the phone and came to sit by my side on the bed. My shoulders tensed. We were alone, sitting on a bed and I was still in my bikini.
Make a move Eric, I wanted to whisper. But I was to afraid of what his reaction would be. Would he reject me, or would he embrace me? I was so confused and so hopeful. I was stupid. Why would a guy like him want a girl like me? It wouldn't make sense.
I sighed.
"Lets watch '17 Again,' Eric said. Oooo Zac Efron, I thought as I hit play.

When room service knocked on the door I got up and answered. I stayed half hidden behind the door so the man wouldn't see my bikini. I told him to come in and I stayed behind the door until he left.
I closed the door and walked over to Eric.

"What did ya get?" I asked as I sat on the bed. The man had set the little table by the window and Eric was already looking through it.
Nervously I laid myself on my side across the bed. I placed my arm on my side and waited until Eric looked up.
Eric paused in mid chew when he looked up at me. I didn't move or breathe as he stared at me.
Make a move Eric. At the very least I wanted him to touch my hand. Eric sighed and placed the lid back on the food.

"I got pizza," Eric said, sounding nervous. Eric looked down at the floor. "After we eat do you want to go for a walk?"

My heart felt like it was going to jump out of my chest. "Sure," I said. I moved into a seating position and Eric handed my my pizza.
We ate in silence.

We were out on the beach again. It was dark out but Eric had a flashlight and pointed the way for me. What was he going to say? Was he going to give me the 'These are the reasons why I don't want to go out with you' speech?
We walked a long time in silence and it killed me. The silence was unbearable. I couldn't take it. It hurt so much. The only sound were the waves crashing into land. I pulled at the pare of pants I had slipped on before we left. I was still in my bikini top just with pants on instead of the bottoms.
I wanted him to look at me. To hold my hand. To run his fingers through my hair. I could feel hot tears threatening to pore out. I tried to hold them back, but one fell and I watched as it hit the soft sand. Making a little wet dot. I began to breathe heavily so more didn't escape.
All of a sudden Eric stopped. I wiped my face and stared at his back. He didn't turn to look at me he just stared out into the ocean. Was the ocean made of tears? It would make sense. The ocean was angry every now and then it would make big waves so no one would bother it. The ocean could be made up of all the tears that have been shred by everyone in the world. That was why it was so big. That was why it looked so beautiful to me. It shared my sadness my desire, my heart. We were the same.

"Abby," Eric said my name as if he was tasting it on his tongue. I loved him, did he know that? Has he known that? Would he understand if I could no longer be his friend if he rejected me?
It would be to painful if we just stayed friends. It wouldn't be fair to me. And it wouldn't be fair to him if I looked at him in desire and he feel guilty.

"Just say it," I whispered. I wanted it to be over with already. I didn't want him to spare my feelings. I didn't want him to think about his words. I just wanted him to say of he loved me or not.

"Abby we've been friends for a really long time," he didn't want me. I knew it. He was starting the way I thought he would if he rejected me. I wanted to cry, but it would scare him. "I like you a lot. But I don't really know if its love."

My head almost snapped up. He didn't know his feelings for me. I had a slight chance. Eric turned and placed his hands on my shoulders.He stared deep into my eyes and I stared into his.
This is going to be the last time I'll let you see me look at you like this. I will never bother you with my feelings again. I will let you find the person you really love.
I wanted to say all these things out loud to him, but I couldn't get my lips to form the words.
Did he know how much I loved him?

He looked deep into my eyes and I wanted to cry.

"Abby," Eric whispered. "I think maybe I do love you."

My heart beat a hundred miles an hour. I couldn't believe his words. He loved me. Eric buried his face in my hair.

"Abby do you want to go back to the hotel?" Eric asked. My heart lunched. What???
My eyes were wide open.
"Sure," I breathed.

And we began to walk back.
Hand in hand.

When we heard a knock on my hotel room door Eric and I sat up. We were both fully clothed, but we had been making out. I straightened my hair and Eric opened the door. My parents came in just before I turned on the TV.
Eric raised an eyebrow at me when my parents weren't looking. I tried to give him the best 'Well we need some kind of excuse of what we were doing' look I could manage. Eric shrugged.

"Well kids are you all packed?" Dad asked. Packed? I gave them a questionable look. Dad looked confused himself. "We're leaving tomorrow night, remember?"

I had totally forgotten. I licked my lips where Eric's had been just moments before. I wanted my parents to leave. NOW.
Mom seamed to get the memo though. "Well we're going to turn in," Mom sighed.

Dad looked like he didn't want to leave, but he sighed and walked out the door with Mom. Eric walked back to me and sat on the bed. We stared into each others eyes for a moment before Eric took a strand of my hair and played with it in between his fingers. I closed my eyes and I felt Eric's breath on my neck. The bed under us creaked and sunk.
He was close now, so close. I kept my eyes closed, but I knew where he was. He was right in front of me staring at my face. I felt myself slowly turn scarlet. I wanted him to kiss me. I opened my eyes slowly, and leaned closer to him. Our lips met and Eric's hand froze in my hair. Did he not like it that I kissed him? I didn't care his lips on mine felt so good. Electricity ran through me. Did he feel it too?

Later he left telling me that he wanted to walk on the beach one last time before we left. But this time as the sun rose above the clouds.

The sun was beautiful as it rose above the clouds. Eric's hand was in mine as we watched it rise. We were leaving in an hour. I sighed. I didn't want this to end.
This was to perfect to end. What if this was a one time deal? What if we went back and Eric found someone else he liked? Then I'd be alone and brokenhearted. He was my love, my air, my world. He was like my gravity, he was keeping me here. He was keeping me from jumping of the nearest cliff.
I knew that when I went back to school the teasing would start up again. I didn't want to leave this magical wonderful wonderland that we were in. These last few days of summer had felt like a dream.
And it was about to end.
Eric let go of my hand and began to walk back to the hotel. Without saying a word.

"Eric?" I called him.

"Its time to go get ready," he said turning to me. He smiled a sly smile.
What was he planning? I thought as I followed him. I had to take a shower before we left. I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair. A shower sounded REALLY good right now.
When we were back in the hotel Eric followed me to my room. I raised my eyebrow at him as I opened the door. He walked right in.
I went to turn on the shower. I paused. I forgot that the bathroom was a see through bathroom, and shower. I gulped.
I couldn't take a shower with HIM here!!!
I turned to him. "I need to take a shower."

"Okay have fun," was all he said. I stared at him in horror. WHAT???
I looked behind me at the shower. I could see right through it. I could make out every tile inside the shower.
THERE WAS NO WAY HE WAS STAYING HERE WHILE I TOOK A SHOWER. I don't care if we USED to take baths together we were older now. We were different.

"You can not stay here while I take a shower," I said. "So get out."

Eric looked up at me and smiled. "I'll close my eyes. I promise I wont look," he promised.

I didn't really trust him. But I had to take a shower and there was no way I could pick him up and throw him out. I groaned and walked into the bathroom.

"Okay close your eyes!" I called to him. I stared at him as I got undressed. I stepped into the shower and watch him as I shampooed my hair and body. The hot water felt good against my back. I sighed in pleasure and looked back up at Eric. His eyes were still closed. He was keeping his promise. I was surprised, but also disappointed. Did he not want to look? I pushed the thought away and turned off the shower. I wrapped a towel around my body and stepped out.

"Keep them closed!" I called. I didn't want him to see me. I walked out of the bathroom and into the bedroom I went over to my suitcase and searched for a pare of shorts and a tank-top. I watched him as I got dressed. He never opened his eyes. I smiled and walked over to him. I leaned close to his face.

"Okay I'm dressed," I whispered. Eric opened his eyes and smiled at me. His white straight teeth showing. A knock on my door made us both jump. Dad was here to get my bags. I tensed. My hair was wet. If he saw it he would know Eric stayed while I took a shower.

"Go into the bathroom. Where the toilet is," he told me. I did as he instructed and Eric answered the door.

"Oh hey Eric," I heard Dad say. "Where's Abby?"

"She's in the bathroom," Eric said.

"Oh okay. Tell her to hurry we have to get going."

I heard the door close and everything went quiet.

"Its safe to come out," Eric told me.

I came out and smiled at him.
WHAT A RELIEF!!!

Once I died my hair Eric and I went to meet our parents.
And as the bellman put our bags and belongings in the car I looked up at the hotel we had stayed at.
I knew things had to end, but why did this summer have to end? Why couldn't it last forever? Why couldn't I stay here with Eric forever?
I will never forget this summer, I thought as I climbed in the car. Eric and I sat together, holding hands, the whole way home.

And that is The End of UNDER THE SUN

This book has 1 comment.

BadGirl GOLD said...
BadGirl GOLD, Dacula, Georgia

I'd rather be HATED for who I am
then be LOVED for who I'm not.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah my first book posted on here!

I hope you guys like it :)