Death Is No Curse | Teen Ink

Death Is No Curse

By Kattie1999, albuquerque, New Mexico
Kattie1999, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"Do it or ill punch you" lol

Author's note: :)

REVISED CHAPTER! :)

DEATH IS NO CURSE CHAPTER 1

'Ringing, the sound of a bell, the sound of the horror. The metal clanging and crashing against my ears. How noisy and annoying it is…' I though in my mind. The bell had been ringing for at least a few seconds, and that was just enough time for the students to start their journey home, leave the school grounds and return to their most loving and caring families.

I sat quietly, my head leaning against my hands and staring out the window as the rain drizzled down the glass. 'Rain…. Befitting my mood I guess.' I sat at my assigned desk, not wanting to move, not wanting to leave the peaceful room. But, as always the school also has to leave from the grounds, so I would also be forced to leave.

"Hun, Don't you want to start heading home?" I heard the teacher ask me. My gaze didn't drift to her eyes, they simply stared out at the gloomy atmosphere, "Wishing… hoping… dreaming. Those are all…. Meaningless. All of those words, mean nothing to me."
I sighed, although I doubt the teacher really noticed. "Yes..." was my simply, yet cooperative answer.

"Ok dear, see you after the weekend," the female teacher smiled and went to go clear up her desk. I didn't want to leave, this was the only place where I really felt safe, where I wouldn't be harmed.

My legs uncrossed as I began to pack my things. 'They are fake. Dreams are things that simply you make up so you might be happier. But, dreams never come true… never.' I zipped up the beige bag and strapped it around my shoulder. "Guess I'm ready," I whispered.
I stood and pushed in my chair, the action making a loud squeak in the silent room. My phone sat on my desk… the only thing I had not put in my bag. It was on silent mode, but it would still show if someone was calling. The light flickered on and off, signaling a phone call. On the Id it read, Mia Itu.
I frowned, "Why does she keep calling me?" I sat out in disgust. I grabbed the phone beginning to opened the oink flip phone. But, then I remembered this morning…. No. I put the phone in the pocket of the desk, hoping the no one would ever recognize it as mine. I never wanted to speak to them again.

*****
I walked down the street, the sounds of cars, people, rain, and wind filled my ears. It was a normal city, nothing that you might consider unusual. I mean, what would you consider weird in a big city like Tokyo? You couldn't, everything that was ever considered Taboo was always seen on the streets. There was no such thing as wrong, or Taboo.
I wasn't really concentrating on the city though, I was thinking senseless thoughts. 'Hope, something that peopled also imagines just to bring them comfort. It doesn't exist, nor will there ever be hope. Hope… never existed, hope is a myth.' My eyes traveled up to the sky as I stopped walking. I clenched the bag on my shoulder tighter. I stared as the rain began to fall on my face. Hitting my cheeks and running down the soft skin. "Rain…" I whispered. "I hate rain…" I said a tad louder. Thunder roared in the distance.
The last drop, the only one that would ever fall on my skin, had fallen. It traveled down my face as it then splashed on the ground with the others. No more rain would ever touch my skin.
*Flash back*
CRANK! BRAKE!!! I jumped out of bed as fast as I could, worried something terrible had happened. I pushed my door open as fast as possible, the wood hitting the wall. I skipped over the many beers cans and trash as I arrived in the living room. I had once again found my mom and dad fighting. They were yelling loudly and throwing things at each other.
'Seriously! They had me up all night, with their yelling and all.' Lying around were broken vases, bottles, and all the glass in the house was apparently used in an all-out war. I gazed at the two quarreling momentarily and decided it best I not get involved in their skirmishes. I bit my lip as they exchanged further insults; I knew that if I even said one word my mother would probably come over and smack me across the face. 'Do they make such a mess just so I'll have to clean it all up?' I would spend my morning in the bathroom. And yes I know It's kind of disgusting but it's the only place I had to myself. And it was the only door with a lock, all the others I had been intruded in on countless times.
The house we live in…, wait no ill call it a box, the box we live in is an old and constructional unsafe piece of shi… hehe well you know what I mean. Practically it's made out of garbage. The house being itself built in the 1940s is extremely tilted to the left and the beams are going to collapse anytime soon. With rotted wooden panels covering the outside and yellow walls on the inside it has a very cheap look. It has 2 bedrooms, very small, like closets if you ask me, and one bathroom. The carpet is yellow, a different shade than the walls, and the floors are 99% of the time covered with beer bottles and garbage. Overall the house…, sorry box, is a trash heap that no one in their right mind would want to live in.
I quickly turned around back towards my room. As I entered I snatched my tooth brush and a clean uniform for school. I stopped for a moment and noticed my room was the only clean room in the house. My small bed with an old baby blanket placed on top, a toy sized drawer from the 1960s and white walls and carpet unlike the rest of the house, actually sometimes made me feel at home. The plain but cozy feeling of my room always is to my likings. The only thing it needed was a door, yes a door. My father broke it once when he was roughhousing with his gang. 'My father…, he has brown short hair and matching piercing eyes are just complements to his real discriminating features. His height being almost 6 foot 5 and his body build making him look as though a professional wrestler. No one, and I mean no one messes with him,… and no one should' I sighed as I continued to my special hideout. 'My, mother. A very pretty and young women for a mother. She is still in her early thirties; she was a very nice mom at fist. But, when my dad lost his job my mother became more obsessed with her work than the family. She is more beautiful than me, sometimes people will mistake me as her older sister, which is not a good thing. She works at the club and because of that she always is drinking, same s my dad, they are alike in that way.'

I entered the bathroom and locked the door behind me. I looked in the cracked mirror and smiled. My own looks were far from my mothers and leaning towards my fathers. Although I didn't have my mother's over all beauty, I have gotten a few complements saying that I was very sleek and sheik, futuristic I guess. My own father had black hair, the same tint as mine, and dark brown eyes. But, my mother on the other side had bond hair with emerald green eyes, and a big bust, which I am sure, helps her out a lot as seeing she works at a club, let's just say men are very attracted to her. I on the other hand am completely flat chested, nothing there, if I didn't have a feminine face I would be considered a man.
My style is one of the very few things I like about my life. I have short slick jet black hair, with emerald green eyes. My hair is spiky and pointy and stops at about the bottom of my neck, not boy short, but short. I have my mother's color of eyes but my father's sleek shape. My skin tone is a light tan, almost considered pale. Overall I am not beautiful, but as those others had said… futuristic, maybe?

I hopped in the shower and rinsed off, trying to get all the dust I had collected off. I made the shower short so I could maybe have time to eat breakfast. My hair dried very quikly, I really didn't bother to style, it pretty much does that on its own, thankfully. I hate being all preppy and spending 50 hours on my hair and makeup and stuff like that. Actually I look pretty bad without makeup, but who cares, you know? I got changed into my school uniform, having the top looking like a sailor uniform and a short pink skirt. The top also being pink with a white bow placed in the middle.

I leaned against the door to search for any loud yells or the braking of something, my hand reached to my ear to help my hearing. It was quiet enough so I walked out into the living room. My body made its way to the kitchen and opened the refrigerator to find that it was almost empty. 'Great they're going to make me buy more food today' I pulled out the last piece of bread and ate it slowly wanting to become full from it. No butter so it was cold and plain. Ewww.

I turned back and opened the screen door and sat outside on the porch. I took a deep breath trying to relieve myself of stress. My eyes looked out across the road to see the sun had already risen but the morning fog still lingered around. 'It's beautiful' I thought to myself. The orange and pink clouds gave this morning a godly picture. My breif calmness was interrupted "Ahhhhhh" I heard my mother scream. 'So much for relieving stress!' My legs jolted up and ran through the door. The scream occurred again. I jumped over the broken radio and other devices and stood by my parents' bedroom. "You don't talk back to me woman! I am the one who provides, and I am the one who made you women!" My father was yelling so loud it could've probably been heard from across the street. I leaned against the wall and peeked through the cracked door.

My dad had a knife in his hand and was holding it to my mom's throat. He was pushing her to the wall and she was crying pleading for her life. "Oh no…" I whispered. My father had never taken their fights to this kind of level. "Dad! Stop put mom down." I yelled instinctively. My body then had no choice but to interfere. I pushed him off my mom as I helped her up. She coughed and had tear stains on her once green eyes. He gave me an intimidating look. I was caught in a glaring contest with his deep brown eyes. I frowned at him knowing it wasn't the smartest thing to do seeing as he was the one with a weapon. And he could probably beat me up without that knife anyway.

"Excuse me," he took a step closer holding the knife in his hand. My eyes widened as my glare faded. Was he seriously going to kill me? He looked, so furious and deadly, it was so scary. "Say that again won't you?" he gave off a murderous look. I started to back away but tripped on an empty bottle of beer.

"D- Dad your drunk, stop!" I yelled at him with all my courage left, though it sounded more like a plead than an order. I put my hand over my face trying to protect myself.
"Maybe you need a lesson like you're mother here!" he grabbed my wrist pulling it away from my face. My mother stood idly by not knowing what to do. He pulled me up off the ground showing his overpowering strength. He started laughing evilly.

"Stop! Pleased STOP!" I screamed in terror fearing he might attack me. He took the knife and gently swiped it across my cheek. I felt it stinging as the blade gently weave across my cheek. Warm blood fell and slid down to my jaw line. I winced at the sharpness of the blade and the subtle pain it was causing. I closed my eyes waiting for when he would remove the blade from my skin. As it finally was released from my cheek I slightly opened my eyes. I clenched my one free hand against my skirt causing it to rip for it was such a fragile material.

I saw my father build his hand into his fist and as he constructed power by pulling his arm back I struggled to get away by squirming and kicking. 'It's no use. He's just to dang strong' He released the potential energy into my face making me fly out of his grasp and hit the wall on the other side of the room. The knife was still in his hand, causing not only a punch but also the blade to scrape me once again. I felt dazed as I tried to stand up, my efforts were in vain as I fell back down. I clenched the stinky old carpet as I saw the man walking towards me.

I kept my glare up even though I knew it wasn't going to intimidate him. All the sudden he turned around and was struggling to get my mom off him. "Eri! Go!" I heard her cry. 'This is a first. Mom has never cared if my father was abusing me, why is she now? No… she's doing it for her own sake, she can't have a dead busy lying around and police coming over here!' I paid no mind to thoughts as to why she was helping me, all I knew was that I needed to get out of her. I jolted up off the ground and hurried out the door, passing the trashing living room and hall out to the screen door. As I ran down the steps of the porch and onto the street I crashed into the mail box. I tripped a little but the adrenaline kept me going, though now I had twisted my ankle.

"You have to come home sometime! And I swear when you do, I'll give you what you selfish brats deserve!" Dad again laughed his drunken crazy laugh. He stood out the screen door cussing me out as I continued on my way. This was just like every day, 24/7, 365 days a year and I doubted that it was going to change any time soon.

*End of flash back*

I sighed again as I stopped in the middle of the crosswalk. My hand lifted up to my cheek as I touched the wound. I flinched as it still stung. 'It's probably best that I don't go home.'

To spend useless time I stopped at a nearby book store, the place looked nice enough. It was plain and had a yellow bright neon sight hanging from the roof. I walked in as the silver doorbell rang, it hung by a red ribbon and looked quite Christmassy. I sighed again. 'Look how pathetic my life is. I'm just a fradey cat, too scared to go home and face my fears. How pathetic.' I thought my self. I shook those dumb thoughts out and walked to the magazine section.

I took out a randomly picked magazine. "Love Gone Good?!"My mouth dropped and I almost dropped the magazine. The magazine was a quiet well known story as it was about love and attractin,… but in an 18+ older way of displaying it. I quickly blushed at the fact that I was even holding such a thing. I studied the cover to make an analysis as I did everything I was curious about. A lady and her kid looked over at what I had picked out. I glanced at them for a minute until I realized what they were looking at. The mother quickly shook her head in disgust. "Come along Jimmy, this is no place for a child" 'Oh no she probably thinks I'm a pervert!' I yelled in my thoughts. Not wanting my name to be tainted I took off running at the two yelling and screaming.

"Wait! It's not like that! Hehe" My hand was unconsciously waving the magazine in the air. "Hey it's not like I'm in a speedo and want to rape you're kid or anything! That's... hehe absurd!" By that time everyone was staring at me. I froze in my place. I noticed the eyes looking into my soul as I knew if I didn't calm my butt down I would be thrown out the store. I quickly started over to the stand with my head down trying not to cause more of a seen. 'STUPID STUPID STUPID! They all think I want to rape someone now!'
Never ever mind that. I quickly put it back blushing and picked out a different one. "The Review of 'The Last thing I remember'" "hmm" I said out loud. I started reading the very well written review. After I was done I thought that that guy had it easy, being trapped in a dream, I would have loved that to happen to me. Except for the part where the people try to kill him. I giggled at my nonsense thoughts. These were the moments that I liked, just having fun. Even though I was alone, I was having a fairly good time.

The bell on the door rang again. I turned my head unconsciously, a man wearing a beany and a dark hoody walked in. He looked very sketchy, but I thought it was just another homeless bum trying to get some warmth. My attention was drawn back to the magazine. I flipped through the pages as I noticed there was nothing more I wanted to read in this magazine. I was about to put it back in its place when I felt a presence behind me. I was going to turn around and see who it was, but I felt like maybe it was just someone walking past me.
Seconds later I felt something touch my shoulder. The hand was cold and gripped my shoulder hard. I knew it was that of a mans because no normal woman could have this much upper body strength. My body instantly leaned to that side to try and relive this man's grip. Chills were sent up my spine as I turned my head. 'What the heck!?' I asked myself. I continued my glance to see the bum from before, at that moment something was put up to my head. It was heavy and made my head also tilt the other way. My glance was turned there as I saw a gun. 'a gun? A gun?' I couldn't seem to comprehend what was going on. What was happening, this man had a gun to my head!? Without the consent of my mouth my instincts were told to yell, "Gun! Help! Help please, he has a gun to my head." I tried pulling away but the man caught me in a choke hold. My eyes bulged out and sweat dropped from my forehead. The same man who moments ago walked in had now taken me hostage. 'What… what should, I do!?' I yelled at myself. 'What should I do, is there anything I can do?'

"You heard the lady! I've got a gun to her head and I want all the cash out of that cash register." The man motioned to the cash register at the checkout stand. He laughed, and at that moment I knew; I knew that this man was pure evil. His laugh was horrifying, terror raged in me, this had never happeined before.

He pointed at a man near the cash register and told him to get all the money out. He threw him a potato sack and smiled knowing he was going to get what he desired. All the people in the store were now staring, some cried, others where to shocked to do anything. Despite the crying and gasping the room was silent. You could even here the long white lights above swinging back and forth. It was a weird feeling, having all that adrenaline course through your body yet you're mind telling you not to move. It was going by so fast, but all I really knew is that I could die, I could actually die.

The word echoed in my head. 'Wishing. Something that all people do when their desire for something may become so great they hope and dream for it. Although wishing for something doesn't mean it will come true,' My thoughts were interrupted by a heroic man trying to save me. He ran at me full speed towards us trying to get the gun away from my head. "Oh, trying to be a hero? I don't think so!" the other turned his gun and pointed it at him. The heroic man paused in his tracks, and put his hands up. 'Don't kill him please! I don't want anyone to die for my sake; no one needs to die. I wouldn't mind dying, my life is so miserable. Just please… don't kill anyone!' I thought desperately. 'Kill me!! Not him! He probably has something to live for! I don't, so kill me' I closed my eyes and clenched my teeth trying to awake from a dream. The one holding me snickered. Without another second to loose he fired one shot and it hit the hero dead on in the head. The loud bang forcefully made my eyes open. The man had died on impact.

What I saw I wish I had never seen, that was the first time I saw anyone ever die. Blood oozed from his body as he laid unconscious on the floor head faced to the tile. His hair covered his eyes and hands were in an impossible position. My mouth dropped as It took me more than a few moments to understand what had happened. "You… you… killed him" I whispered. Tears started falling from my eyes, not just for his life but because now I feared for my own. He was very much capable of killing, he was a murder and I was next.
"Yes, I killed him" He said in a sarcastic voice and then laughed. That laugh… it was the most disgusting thing I ever heard, it had no remorse no regretting, just peer evil. I screamed as loud as I could, the most blood curdling scream that could come from my sorrowful soul. It echoed through the shop, leaving some to cry even louder and others to cover their ears. I poured everything into that scream, the pain I had been holding in for 16 years, the loneliness I felt, the pain of knowing you're going to die. It was all built up just into that one sound.

The man had had enough of my screaming, "Shut up you damn brat!" he yelled over my voice. Of course I didn't listen and continued my sorrowful way of expressing myself. He then took the heavy metal weapon and pointed it at me leg. He squeezed the trigger. Another loud sound came and went as I felt sharp wounds in my leg. I slowly lowered my head. The bullet hit my knee. Blood squirted out and soon a puddle of red was flowing across the floor. I was shot, and it hurt like heck. Nothing had ever hurt so much in my life. The pain was so horrible. I looked down once again to confirm that the bullet had indeed struck my leg. My breathing was erratic, one because I had used all my air to scream, and two the pain was horrific and this was the only way to keep me from thinking about it.
I turned my head to the left and there still lying lifelessly was the other man's body on the white now blood stained tile. Then it hit me, the horrific pain multiplied indefinably. All at once I felt the shavings of shattered bone go through my body up to my thigh and down to my ankle. I screamed and groaned of the pain. My heart started beating faster and my lungs felt like they were being crushed. I was scared, more than I have ever been, thinking that you are going to die is the scariest thing that I've ever felt. Adrenalin was now running through my body.

I fell down of my knees. In which made the pain even worse. My eyes were wide with pain, and fear. The murderer was above my head now, still laughing at the sight of me groaning and being in pain. I couldn't take it anymore; I covered my ears trying to make the laugh go away. His laugh was so heartless, it was like listening to a chalkboard being scratched continuously never stopping. No matter how hard I tried the man's evil aurora lingered in the air making me nocuous. I glared up at the man with anger but my outside expression was fear, horrifying fear. How pathetic I must have looked. Everything hurt, my knee, my cheek, my head, my lungs, and my heart. Everything seemed to be in pain.
That's when I noticed he was letting his guard down, the grip of his hand on my neck was weakening. A slight sliver of hope and happiness glowed in me.
'This is my chance! This is the only opportunity I have. If I can just break free. I can escape! I can make it away with a clean slate. I can go back to the way things were before. There's no other choice! Wait,… why am I trying to get away? Isn't this what you wanted, to die. Didn't I want to die so I don't have to experience this horrible life anymore? I hate my life no matter what happens. My whole life has consisted of abuse, negligence, and fear. Why, why, why would I want to live?' My eyes closed for a moment. 'No… you can't just commit suicide. That's terrible. I would never do such a thing, people might be sad… wait a second. No one would be sad, I have no friends, I have no family that loves me. No one would care. I might appear on the news for one day and then people would just forget my. They would never know my mane! They would never know I existed. No one really cares…' My soul seemed to be drained of love, no one loved me. And I had finally realized it. 'I have… to die. No one wants me here, no one loves me, no one would car if I would die. They would never think twice about it. Yes, yes… yes, I've decided I want to die, no matter what I will die here today! Yes…. I want to die. I want the suffering to end. This was meant to be, hu? This whole situation. This an was meant to kill me, that way I could finally decide to die, it's so clear now. I know that if I push away for him he will probably fire at me, an … and even if I don't die right then and there, I will surely die of blood loss, right?' It was hard to think of how you would die, but I knew that I needed to do this. I needed to die, for once, I needed to know that there was somewhere wouldn't feel pain. Death seemed to be that place. 'I can do this, yes,… my world I live in is different than the one everyone else lives in. Theirs is plain and simple, mine is only filled with hate and violence. What,… what is there for me to live for? …ha…I knew it… there is nothing for me to live for.' A smile grazed my face, that one of knowing that I had nothing nor none that would care if I would die, and also that a pure sadness knowing that I wouldn't see the sunrise tomorrow, or the beautiful fog that I always watch n my porch. "There is never anything to live for" I whispered aloud. This was destiny, nothing to live for, such knowing words that I spoke before death.

Apparently the man heard me and looked down giving a questioning look. My mind was made up. I would pull away and end what should've ended a long time ago. I took a leap of faith and with all the courage I had in me I pulled away from his arm and now from the force of my pulling It was enough to break away.

Time seemed to freeze when I was in midair. My life was flashing before my eyes. About my parents about my friends, and for the first time I felt at peace. The memories of happiness seemed to be put in the back of mind as I felt the breeze flowing through my hair. This… was the end.

The evil in that man's heart made his hand pull the trigger, not once, not twice, but three whole times. Two hit my chest and one went through my head. The impact caused my body to spit out blood, choking on the substance. I landed on the ground not being able to move, not being able to think. I landed on my side and my arm across from me. My eyes were lifeless and my face emotionless, as if I were a doll. A broken dead doll. 'D-did I make it…, no. Why, why didn't I get away? Why can't I live? Why…, why? Why was I chosen to die… no I wanted to die, right? Life, yes life, a hopeless dream that all humans hope one day they will always be able to have. I never thought that when I was dying I could be able to think this much..' Thoughts rushed through my mind. My heart dropped, I felt so bittersweet. Depression filled my mind, hopelessness, knowing that I won't live was all that it took. I closed my eyes and let one last tear fall down my cheek. I smirked, 'This is what I wanted right, I wanted to die, but… was it the right choice, should I have chosen to live?' "Hopes, wishing and dreams, those are all fake. None of those things are real, just figments of our imagination. Hello, my name is Eri Itu, Age 16, born 1994 through 2010. Dead, deceased, never to return."

Chapter one!!!! I know it's long, but who cares!! :P

Just a Hands Length Away
Recommended song: Enya's composition, "May It Be,” (This is for the end part only)

I took a step forward ready for what I might face. While taking off my hood, I bowed down showing respect. As I lay face down on the rocky and dirt terrain the darkness surrounded the being in front of me. A voice came from the darkness “Stand,” it said simply. The voice was dark and emotionlessly, not showing any signs of weakness or pain. A dark and menacing aura was creating that made my throat clog, and my heart race. The being who sat before me was powerful, more than I could imagine, more than anyone could ever fathom. My knee slid gently against the red rocks as I became nervous and weak. My frozen body was able to lift itself up as I caught the glimpse of my surroundings.

I looked around to see the same old rocky terrain I saw every day, no grass, no water, no anything but the red ground and the red sky. Nothing is there, nothing has ever been there, and nothing will ever be there. The sky is a blood red, as how earth’s sky reflects the water; this sky reflects the blood that so many people have spilt trying to kill themselves. The ground is dusty and it is hard to breath, the air is filled with the smell of death, and smoke clouds surround everywhere choking throats. I would try and kill myself too, but the ones who are here cannot die, for… we are already dead.

“I have a proposition for you Eri.” The voice spoke once again. I lifted my head in a wondering manner. ‘What could this man want from me. Calling me from the outskirts of Kyoko is a lot of trouble, and just to talk to me? No,… its more than that,… such a man of power could never want me for something as troubling.’ my mind wondered asking myself questions that I know cannot be answered in one simple talk. “I feel I can trust you… can I?” I felt him switch his position indicating a little agitated.

“Of course you can master.” I bowed my head once again, a chuckle came from his mouth as I could tell he was amused with me. You could not see him, but you could see the front of the chair that he sat upon, it was made out of bamboo and was stained with red blood, it had two human skulls placed in front where the arm’s rested and it stood up 5 large grey stairs, making the person underneath him feel intimidated. Surrounding the being were 5 demons, …the demons were not in a human form, but had a human likeness. They too were surrounded by the darkness, only their presence could be known.

My hair dropped in front of my face making my eyes unseen. While awaiting his response i continued my thoughts, ‘My eyes…, my eyes were once green, but once you come here they turn the color of emptiness, black. Even those who are of a happy nature,…. Still have the reflection of emptiness in their soul.’
*Flash Back*

I opened my eyes wondering what had happened. My eyes took moments to focus, but eventually I was able to see once again. What I was met with was the color of a light blue. I tried to breathe in but instead of air filling my lungs it was engulfed with water. ‘Where am I?’ My instincts kicked in as I figured out I was underneath water. I would have tried to swim up but my body felt so weak and so fragile, I didn’t feel like moving. I waited there for a moment not caring if I breathed in water. ‘If I’m dead than it doesn’t matter right?’ I thought to myself, wondering what was going on. As thoughts filled my mind, I started floating down getting deeper and deeper into the dark abyss that was underneath me, when all the sudden a rush of water hit me. It was if a water jet struck my body, it had pushed me across at least 10 feet, making me do flips and spins.

As I tried to swim up to get away from this awful force, the pain in my chest and head had resurfaced, causing me to want to black out. The pain was unbearable; I believe it was a miracle that I was even able to swim upward. I kept swimming for what I thought was up for air, but as I kept swimming the one light source that I saw was not getting any closer. In fact the one simple light seemed to be getting farther away, and soon the light that was my only hope disappeared completely, as I was left swimming in a direction unknown. Weather it was up or down, I still don’t know. My head hurt, and my senses were jumbled around. My lungs felt like a thousand pounds had crushed them, and with every movement my arms became weaker. Blackness kept fading in and out as I wished for one thing, at that moment I didn’t want to be saved, or have the pain in my head and chest go away, all I wanted was a breath of air. My heart beep raced and my image became less and less clear. Holding my breath for a minute was a challenge, and I felt the air collapsing and I knew I might not get another breath of oxygen.
After trying so hard the inevitable came, my lungs gave way as I started floating back down to the dark abyss where had come from.
I was about to knock out once again when I a very bright light came streaming towards me, from the same place as where the jet stream had originated from. The almost heavenly light was coming at unimaginable speeds, passing through the water as if a lightning bolt had stuck it. I tried swimming away but I didn’t have enough strength to move. I panicked as the light hit me and engulfed me. This light was so bright that even with my eyes closed the great rays still damaged my eyes, burning them intensely. The last thing I saw at that moment was that godly light, soon after I blacked out.
****
As I opened my eyes, I was met with a white sandy beach. While gaining my composer I noticed I had washed up on shore. ‘So…., was that an ocean I was in before?’ I rubbed my head while taking a look around. No one seemed to be close by, no signs that anyone was ever here at all. Emptiness, nothing, nothing at all. The same word, emptiness, kept appearing in my mind. All that was around was a few rocks and the ocean which I was sitting only 2 feet away from. I looked up towards the sky and gasped, ‘What? ….The sky,… its red?’ Yes, indeed the sky was that of a blood red, and no sun was in sight, the ground only being lit with this disgusting gory color. The sky was by itself an image of horror. It was if blood was being poured gently down and filled the bowl, creating this dark red.
Confused as ever I tried remembering anything, anything that had happened, even if it only helped a little bit, some information as to where I was, how I got here, and so many other questions that confused my mind, would really help settle my conciseness.
‘I remember! I think…, I’m dead? Or at least I was dead.’ Trying to remember was hard, for some reason every time I tried to remember a sharp pain shot my head, making me dizzy and nauseated.
I reached to my head to see if I could feel the bullet wound, that the murderer had inserted in me, as what had only seemed a few minutes ago. This was one of the only things that I remembered, the moment before I was shot, the feelings, and the pain. Those were the only things that I could make out clearly, the rest of my memories were a blur. “It’s not there?” I reached down to my chest and still didn’t feel anything, “What’s going on? I know fur sure that I was shot, bullet wounds can’t just disappear!” I said out load asking myself so many questions.
Trying to stand up was quite a struggle, but I managed to complete this task, and in doing so I sighed in relief that I no longer felt the pain that had haunted me for the seconds before my death. The unbearable pain, the pain that I would stop if only I could. That pain was now glued to my mind, and I doughted that one memory was going anywhere.

I stated walking along the ocean line to see if anybody was here. The sand seemed to be the only normal thing. It was a light tan with small minerals in its composer, and it felt like the sand I was used to. The one that got stuck in between your toes, the one that could bug you so much, or make you relaxed and calm. Both emotions filled my mind as I strutted across the never ending shore. I walked and walked and walked, but I didn’t come across anyone or anything. The same exact scenery passed me by as I continued to walk for what seemed hours. ‘Am I walking in circles,… I think I passed that rock and that one too!!!!’ I struggled to get a place from where I was.
“UHGGG!” I grunted, this was taking too long, too much effort, and was making me impatient, and for no results. I decided to call out to see if anyone could hear me, a response would be a very nice thing to here “HELLO? IS ANYONE HERE?” my voice echoed. My own voice was the only thing around as it seemed to echoed forever not stopping. It seemed like I was the only one there. Alone,… alone in such a huge place, alone, by myself, with no one to comfort me. I waited for a minute but recievd no answer.
“HELLO?! IF ANYONE IS THERE, PLEASE ANSWER!!!!!!” I called out again. “Please?!” I whispered. I felt alone, completely and utterly alone. Though I knew no one was around I felt like I had to call out. And maybe, just maybe, someone would answer.
I now turned and walked away from the water down into what seemed to be an endless road. ‘Maybe I could find someone,… just someone. I don’t care if they are mental, or a loser,… I just want someone to talk to.’ For so many days, so many years I had wished to be alone. But, now that I was I wished for company,… being all alone wasn’t what it had cracked up to be.

It had been a few hours and still the sun hadn’t come out. ‘I have to believe that maybe this isn’t earth! I’ve been walking way to long for the sun not to come out.’ I questioned myself. At least I wasn’t in the sand anymore; it was hard to walk in that stuff, your feet always sunk deep in the sand, and it would get in-between your toes, and made me feel disgusting. I stopped a minute and looked around; seeing that still nothing was around and I was in the middle of nowhere, and had no direction, I collapsed on the ground, defeated with this unfamiliar terrain. “Ahhh!” I squeaked as I rolled my body over. A sharp object pierced me. My body rolled over to the other side while gently picking it up, it was round and had dust covered on it. The object was very fragile and seemed like if I coughed on it would seize to exist.
My lungs inhaled the much appreciated air as I softly released moving the dust off the ancient object. It seemed to be an old English pocket watch. With the color being gold, and with black markings in what seemed to be hand carved, this watch I could tell was very old, at least a few hundred years. ‘Wait… does this watch means that someone’s around here! Or at least someone once was.’ I got excited hoping I wasn’t the only one in this deserted desert. I returned my gaze back to the watch as I studied it more. It was all hand made with a few mistakes in the carvings, and it had a chipped opening by its side, but overall it was expensive and well built. It clasped the object in my hands and pressed it against my chest. This was my way out, my way to find someone. With hope filled in my heart, I decided it best be I got to sleep. I laid my head back on the rough terrain, closed my eyes gently, and hoped that I would dream of rainbow and butterflies. But, who knew that my journey had only began.
****
“Ahwwa!” I yawned stretching my arms up reaching to the sky. I grunted as I rubbed my eyes trying to clear the fogginess away, but I got shocked when before me an unidentified figure sat. My eyes started clearing up as I could see the figure more clearly. I could tell it was a man and that’s it, his head was turned away and he seemed to be by a fire. I jolted up scared of his sudden appearance.
“uhh? I’m sorry did I scare you?” he chuckled. His voice was of a sweet boy around my age or a little older. ( Eri is 15 years old) He turned to face me. My heart stopped as I knew,… this was a human. A human,… I wasn’t alone any more. There were others.
I quickly blushed. This boy was…, well, … in my opining cute! He had medium length hair, that was dark blue and silky. His bangs were long and covered part of his eyes, as the rest was silky and slid down his neck and stopped in the middle. The unusual color was very unexpected,… the dark night blue was ever encasing my mind. His eyes were black, either that or a dark brown and his height was about 6 foot. He was in shape, but not overly muscular, in fact he seemed to be quiet thin. His smile was very sweet, one that can make you trust someone that you’ve only just met. I quickly sat up and watched him as he was sitting by the fire trying to get warmth, his hands stretched out and his face staring into the red depths. I was confused as to where I was, ‘Last night,… I fell asleep outside didn’t I?’ This was a different place as where I had fallen asleep. I decided to ask the man of my most posing question. “Um…, where am i?” We seemed to be in a small green tent, that I could tell was handmade, very rigidity and not that well-built.
“Oh, well this is my home.” He noticed me looking around, and rubbed the back of his neck embarrassed he didn’t have more. All that was in the tent were a few boxes, and a few jars that covered the left side. It was empty, but thankfully, because the tent itself was extremely small, barely able to hold two people.
“Isn’t this quite small to be a home?” I smiled nervously wondering why he had brought me here. ‘He didn’t seem like a kidnapper,… but you never can tell’ The tent was green and was only 5 feet long and about 5 feet wide. I was almost squished next to this man I didn’t know.
“It’s not much, but it’s all I got.” He sighed.
“Oh… I’m sorry I didn’t mean to offend you!” I was waving my arms around frantically trying to apologize.
“No, it’s ok. The names Haruto.” He didn’t bother looking my way.
“Oh yes, by the way….” I tried standing up but only made a fool of myself as I hit the roof. While rubbing my head, I blushed deeply, as I had embarrassed myself in front of a handsome spectator. “sorry, …My name is Eri Itu! Nice to meet you.” I gave the traditional Japanese greeting by bowing my top part of my body. ‘I really don’t think I should be giving him my name,… but he was nice enough to bring me to his home.’
He didn’t give me an answer back so I returned to sit back down. I waited for him to speak, to give a clue as to where I was, how I got here, or any information would’ve been appreciated. “Here,” he spoke suddenly, his hands reached behind him grabbing clothes that were folded neatly in a small square. He handed them to me as I searched the clothes.
The unknown man stood up from his seat and stepped outside, clearly so I could change. This was most peculiar indeed. As the green curtain closed I raised myself as I began to undress my school uniform. Even though he had not told me to change I could tell that was what he expected from me. As I placed my old clothes on the ground I noticed that they were torn and ripped. A hole was shot where my heart lay,… ‘From the man,… he shot me. He really did. It wasn’t a dream,’ I grabbed the clothes given to me as took out the top.
The top was very small, but fit, the color of night. It covered my neck and stopped at my belly. It had no sleeves, giving it a vest like look, and a white line shot down the small top. I reached for the pair of shorts. They also had a white line going down the blackness of the cloth. It was a very revealing pair but, I really didn’t mind. The last article of clothing was a brown cloak. The cloak had extremely long sleeves as they were undoubtedly longer than my own arms. They stopped at my knees, as the hoody was stretched back. The length of the cloth was shorter than the sleeves, stopping after my belly.
“You know,… it is not safe to sleep outside. You could’ve gotten yourself killed. Or worse…”
I was clipping the cloak when I answered, “No? I’m sorry. I was just so tired I thought anywhere was a good place to sleep.” I wondered as to why I had apologized to this man. I had no reason to apologize, but I did anyway. “Can I come out?”
“Ya,…” he sighed. I slightly opened the curtain as I walked out. What i saw was no different from yesterday except we were in a valley instead of out in the open. Red dark sand drifted across the land as I saw nothing, nothing at all. A bowl of emptiness. My sight drifted to my right, there sat Haruto. He was on his feet but churched down, his hand gently smoothed the ground as the dust flowed through his fingers. I walked up to him and bowed once again.
“Thank you for the clothes.” I returned to a normal position. I was truly gratefull, it was nice to feel clen clothes on your back. After a minute of complete silence, Haruto got up and started walking away from the tent. Though he was walking all that could be heard was the wind ponding against the purple rock valley. I followed not wanting to be left alone. Being alone again would be a tragedy,… I knew that I didn’t want to feel that way again. He continued down the valley, with me following behind. “Can you tell me where we are?” I asked to fill the silence.
He didn’t turn around or stop, “Did you die?” he asked. I stopped and looked down remembering that man. ‘That darn man. How dare he try do this to me’ I clenched my fists as my teeth grounded against together. I was stunned by the question, no ordinary person would ask a question like that,… even if it was true.
“From your silence I’m guessing yes.” He stopped and waited for me. “Were both dead,…” he gave me a minute to comprehend.
“Well then I guess this is hell haw?” I said sarcastically.
“Not quite,” he ignored my tone, “this place is called Kokyo,”
“Emptiness?” we continued to walk. “Emptiness, …how though?” He ignored my question as he began to explain.
“Ya, it’s a befitting name. This is where all the people who die go.” He continued.
“Uhh?” I was dumbfounded. “Isn’t that hell or heaven?” I scratched my head, ‘Why,… why is this man willing to give me this information?’
“Well, there’s Heiwa, Hell, and Kokyo. Heaven where’s all higher powers lie and people who just die go. Hell is of course where all the villains and people who have done wrong go. And Kokyo,… well thats a little more complex one. Demons and other being live here,… when kicked out of Hell,… here is where they are sent to. You getting it so far?” He took a breather from all the explaining.
“Uh, kind of. It’s just a lot to take in at once? But, then why are we here. I pretty sure I’m not a demon or what veer you want to call them.” I asked still all the info. running through my head. ‘Huh, my hypothesis was right. I knew I would die, but I didn’t quite expect this’ I thought to myself. ‘I thought maybe I would be in a grave right now,… like I don’t know,… a black hole. Not, a place called Kokyo!’
“It is quite a mystery. Most of the time this is where demons and stuff are, not many humans get in here. That I cannot tell you, the same mystery is with me. You’re the first human I’ve come across beside myself. Well, one that hasn’t been transformed,…” He gave off a depressed look.
“You must have been lonely.” I walked faster to keep up with his pace. “I was only here for one day alone,.. and I felt the strain….” I stared at my feet as they sped across the dirt. Silence past the both of us for minutes. “But,… am I really dead? It just doesn’t seem real.”
“What you believe is none of my concern. But you are dead, weather you wished to be or not,…” he spoke with no empathy. My eyebrow twitched and I clenched my teeth. ‘Well,… that was rude!!!!’
“Were here” he spoke out of the blue. My glance veered around us. We were in basically the same place, nothing really stood out, just a dark purple valley.
“Uh where are we exactly?” I asked not seeing anything particularly interesting around. Haruto didn’t answer as he opened his cloak slightly to get something. He pulled out a sword. It had a silver blade, and an almost king like handle, being gold with a few gems engraved on it. The long silver blade was shining and was almost fit for a king. The length was that of about 3 feet long, and just by the look I could tell it was deadly and sturdy.“Eh, what you going to do with that?” I asked cautiously backing away. When a man all the sudden takes out a sword you get a little nervous. ‘What is he doing!!!!!!?” I stepped futher away from Haruto as I felt the tension in the air. My movements were interrupted when a loud thumping sound came from across the valley. ‘What was that? Man, this is getting pretty creepy!’ I worried. The thumping sounded like a one man stampede. A roar was heard from a distance, but was getting closer. It was an eerie sound, loud and high pitched. I clenched my hands over my ears and cringed at the unearthly sound. My body became immobilized at the sound as it filled my head and made me dizzy.

As Haruto took a defense stance I stared backing away again not knowing what was going on. A figure turned the corner and was running towards us. As it got closer you could see what it was.
“Ahhhh!” I screamed as I fell back and watched as the creature started closing in. My eyes swayed as I was scared out of my mind. The running image was shaky and my hands led up to my head as I grasped my hair. The image was frightening,… more scary than anything I had ever seen before. The creature was an inhuman thing. It had a human like body, but with spikes on its head and it had no eyes, its mouth was agape 10 inches with large shark like teeth inside. The creature was bald, it had blood stains on it, and it ran on all fours like a maniac. It’s skin was burnt, and peeling off its body. The arms had huge claws coming off as they dug into the ground with every step. A large tail, longer than its body, swayed back and forth as a red marking was splattered on it. Replacing its eyes was a marking that also was red, but more defined, as if it had been branded. It looked like an upside down pyramid; and was made up of long narrow lines.
As the thing appeared in front of Hauro it gave off a snarl. A screech that made me scream. It dug its lengthy claws into the ground and held it mouth open to Haruto. Spit hung from the damaged teeth, as it snarled and whined, wanting to engulf Haruto. It could do so if it wanted to,… the mouth opened larger and larger making a ripping sound. And soon the mouth could easily fir Haruto through it.
Haruto held his sword tight and jumped in the air preparing to slice the beast. He brang the sword in a downward motion but the creature dodged it. Haruto landed in a great posture as he swung his sword to the left, where the monster had swayed, but again the monster dodged it. The monster then took his claw and slashed Haruto across the cheek making a spit of blood spew from the damaged skin. Haruto pulled his body back making the blow not go deep. Haruto brang his sword up and made a slashing movement to the creature. But like before, the creature was too fast and dodged the attack. The sword moved so fast Haruto had a hard time stopping the motion of it, the godly sword barely touched Haruto as he began to search for the creature.
From out of nowhere the monster jumped on top of Haruto bringing him down. The monster pinned Haruto down and opened his mouth wide preparing to dig his teeth into Haruto’s neck. My eye quivered as I saw what I thought was Haruto’s death. But before the the monster was able to devour Haruto whole, Haruto lifted his bent arm stabbing the monster in the gut.
It squealed and whined in pain, this motion allowed Haruto to roll out of under him. Haruto stood up quickly and jumped above the monster as his sword lowered and cut the being clen in half. The body fell down, as so did Haruto. He stood up once again with only the scratch on his cheek from the battle. He had defeated the being without even trying. He was indeed strong.

Haruto’s sword held by his side, having blood drip from the tip. And in a fast motion he flipped the sword quickly placing it back in it’s sheathe. His arm released from the gold grip as it hug by his side. He suddenly looked at me with his dark black eyes. They were cold and emotionless. He wasn’t feeling anything from killing the being,… he felt nothing, nothing seemed to be felt from his soul. I was shocked at what had happened, more like horrified. I had met an unknown being, saw Haruto have such skill, and see a bloody murder take place. ‘Was that what my murder looked like,… with blood everywhere, and innards washed up by the body?’ My heart race beated faster and faster, and my breath was shaky and unsteady. Haruto started walking towards me. I was still shaken as the once alive thing was now split in two right in front of me. It was unlike anything I had witnessed before, not all the hits my father had made, and all the broken bottles, could even compare to what I saw now. ‘My father?!’ My eyes widened further, ‘I had remembered him,… he was a man or great strength,… he was angry all the time.’

Haruto stepped on a rock which startled me. I scooted back as Haruto came close, freighted of what he was doing. ‘Is he going to kill me too?!’ I don’t know what he is capable of. “Uhhh” he sighed, “It is okay, I’m not going to hurt you.” He continued his way over to me. His hand stuck out to help me up. I stared into his face seeing his calm attitude. It didn’t seem like he was going to kill me,… but. My shaky hand led up to his as it was clasped tightly. My body was hesitant to trust him, but I felt in my heart he wasn’t that bad, maybe he wasn’t going to kill me. He pulled me up easily as I stood with shaky legs. “You okay?” he asked while releasing his hand from mine. In his action I clenched my side, as I felt that I had to hold something to relieve my tension.
“What… what was that?” I stood their shaking as my eyes stood on one thing and one thing only. Haruto turned his gaze to where mine was as he frowned.

“That’s a human.” He sighed as he looked at the corpse.

“I know humans! I am a human, whatever that thing was it wasn’t human!” I yelled pointing my finger at it.

“That’s what humans turn into once they lose their insanity. If you’re here alone for a while, soon you can’t take it anymore, you’ll collapse and the demons will come eat you until you end up like that. Not a pretty sight, I was doing it a favor by killing it” he seemed angry, “They have named it…. Ketsueki no Kaibutso, meaning..” I interrupted him.

“Blood monster….,”

“I call it Ketsue for short,… whoever named it sure got it right. It always covered in blood, no matter what. Those beasts are sickening; they eat other human souls, just so they themselves can become stronger!” Haruto tensed up. Silence fell between us as he released his anger slowly. ‘So,… Haruto could have become one of those beasts?’

“… are you okay?” I broke the silence.

“Huh? Ya, I’m fine,” he touched his cheek, “,this is just a scratch!” I was worried. It looked pretty deep. ‘I know that even such a little cut, could hurt. Like the one my father gave me, no one ever asked if I was okay, I never treated it.’ I grabbed the end of my cloak and ripped off part of the cloth.

I reached up, and touched his cheek letting the cloth suck up the blood. He seemed very uncomfortable with this. He flinched as it must have stung him. “Gomen, but you need to stay still! Do you want it to get infected?” I asked in a serious tone. ‘Man,… sheesh, this guy is so….., so,… so,.. I don’t know what he is! But, he’s something very annoying, that’s fur sure!!!!!!!!’
“pttt” he grunted and looked away. I stood there for a moment, and when I finalky lifted the cloth up from the wound I saw that the bleeding had subsided. My hand released my grip and took I stood back. I felt my own cheek, a scab had grown there know and it didn’t hurt as bad. ‘That’s weird. My other wounds disappeared but this cut stayed. … The cut I despise the most. The one someone I hate gave to me. I wouldn’t care if those gunshots would have stayed, but this, I wish this was gone too. I hate having memories of him. If it weren’t for him, I probably wouldn’t be dead. And if it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t be having this never ending nightmare’ I didn’t dare even think his name, his name disgusted me. It was still a mystery as how I was able to remember him but nothing else of my past. Anger and rage filled me, ‘If it weren’t for him, I wouldn’t be hurting right now! If it weren’t for him I wouldn’t have had such a bad childhood!!’ While most kids were out playing with their parents, I was cleaning up the broken bottles and garbage my dad had made. While other kids were happily eating their meal, I was wishing that someone might give me a cracker, something…., but I was always hungry, forever yearning for love, always wishing that my Dad might come over to me and hug me instead of hitting me. But,… that never happened,… even though I had wished so much,… it never happened.
I looked down to see water falling. Without knowing it I was crying. I took a tear from my eye and wondered why I was crying. ‘I’m not sad,…. I’m angry! NO! Not just angry,… I’m furious!’ I could even here my father’s voice say in my head ‘Crying? How pitiful!’ I clenched my fists together as those words of his kept reappearing in my mind. ‘You don’t need to tell me that! I now I’m pitiful!’ this made me cry even more. “I’m pitiful! I know, Stop telling me what I already know!” I yelled aloud as I covered my face trying to hide my tears. My hands went to my ears and plugged them, but the voice of my father kept speaking cruel words, ‘even when I’m dead…. I don’t have peace!’ “Pitiful, Pitiful! I am so so so pitiful!”

“I don’t think you’re pitiful.” I heard a calm voice interrupt my otherwise clustered thoughts. I looked up to see Haruto smiling. My red eyes stopped there tears for a moment. He put his hand on my shoulder and gave a sweet smile. “If you were pitiful I wouldn’t have taken you in my house. Only strong people can survive out here, I know you’re strong.” He reassured me. I smiled back as I felt a tad better. His smile was comforting,… even though I didn’t k now Haruto well,… it was his smile that kept me happy.
I wiped away the tears from my eyes. “So, what are we doing here?” I quickly tried to change the subject, though I still sniffled a tad bit.
“Oh that’s right. I almost forgot,” he removed his hand from me, “,This is where I get my food.”
“EWWW! You’re a canable! How sick!” I joked. He simply rolled his eyes. My idiot joke, had lighten up my tense mood, and I felt tired,… but warm and joyful. Not, happy,… but Joyful.
“No, they have some berries you could say.” He laughed a little while walking down the corner. I ran after him. As I turned the corner I saw an amazing sight. In all the dryness and emptiness, there lied a garden. It wasn’t a flourishing garden but I was surprised anything could grow here. A few weird plants that looked like cabbage, one bush filled with black berries, and 2 trees. One growing a few apples, the other was growing an unknown fruit. ‘WOW!’
“Wow! Who grew this!” I released a gasp.
“I did.” Haruto said simply while walking over to the bush.
“How did you do it? This is amazing.” I ran over next to him.
“Oh thanks. And to answer your question, you don’t want to know.” He stated picking berries and putting them in his pocket. I followed suit as I started picking some too. I took one and smelled it. It was the smell of freshness, and sweetness. I felt the flavor glide through my mouth, even though I had only smelt the tiny fruit.
“Are these black Barbados Berries?” I asked while picking more.
“Ya they are. How did you know?”
“You, don’t want to know.” I mocked him repeating his darker voice. He rolled his eyes as I giggled.
4 weeks later
I awoke from my sleepy state as my eyes glided over to see Haruto lying on the other side of the tent. A smile came up on my face as I saw his peaceful sleepy face. It was so quiet and sweet, I knew he was of a rude,… but nice nature. My hands flipped off the blanket and sat up. The green blanket floated gently down to the floor as I sat up on all fours. I was happy that he let me stay with him, it was very nice. ‘For the time I’ve been here I haven’t really learned much only a few small details. I don’t understand very much, but I don’t want to ask to much of Haruto as I stay in his house, or …tent.’ I giggled to myself. I got up and made sure Haruto was still asleep as I got dressed into my daily outfit, don’t want to ;et him see me naked. I frowned as I knew he would appreciate that, the pervert! ‘Haruto has been teaching me so much. He’s trying to teach me how to use a knife to protect myself, but it’s not going as well as he planned. He taught me how to grow foods. And I’ve also taught him some things, like how to cook, and a brush up on school lessons. Though we don’t particularly need school stuff anymore,… it’s pretty much all I can do for him. I still don’t know how long Haruto has been here, but I still don’t want to trouble him much.’ I finished dressing as I decided to give Haruto a surprise wake up.

I quickly snuck next to him making sure he was indeed asleep. My feet made a few sounds but overall I was completely silent. When I thought the time was right I jumped on top of him. “GOOD MORNING HARUTO! TIME TO WAKE UP!” I yelled in his ear. He quickly jolted up freaked out of his mind, throwing me off him by accident. I landed on my back. He was sweating and was scared out of his mind from the yelling. He looked around trying to search for his weapon, but was unsuccessful. I couldn’t keep it in anymore, “Hahahahaa” I stated to laugh my head off. His face was priceless.
“ERI!” he turned his sweaty face towards me in an angered manner. “What was that for!” I kept laughing, and laughing so hard I started crying. ‘He’s never been that scared!’ I thought to myself. He apparently didn’t find it as humorous as me. “Oh, so you think it’s funny?” he yelled. “Well, do you find this funny?” he reached over and stared tickling me. This did not help; I started laughing so hard I felt like I was going to die. He continued this for a minute of two tickling my neck and stomache. Every time I tried to get away, he would pull me under him using his overpowering man strength. Even though he wasn’t surprisingly muscular he had hidden power beneath those thin arms.
“Stop! Hahah, I get it.” I managed to get out in between laughs. He finally stopped as I was breathing heavily. My breaths became longer and longer as I regained my composer, I closed my eyes as they were still watery. ‘I’ve never had a tickle fight. It was actually pretty fun. Of course my parents never did anything fun with me, and I had friends but they weren’t really good ones. I consider Haruto to be the only person I can rely on.’ I smiled.
I opened my eyes as a one tear of happiness fell and ran down my cheek. I was still lying down, when I lifted my head up straight; Haruto was still on top of me. His face was red, and he was staring down at me. Sweat was still dripping from him. “Haruto? Are you okay.” I reached my hand up and felt his burning forehead. “Your warm, are you sick?” I asked worried.
“No” he said simply. ‘Well I was looking for more of an answer than that!’
“Get up, I’ll go get a wet rag.” I tried getting up but his body was keeping me from going. He started to breath heavily. I got more worried. “You worrying me Haruto, let me go get something.” I tried to get him off, but he pushed me down with his arms.
“NO! Don’t go, stay,…, please,… don’t…” he started gasping for air. “I don’t want… to be alone.” His eyes started filling with tears. I knew he wasn’t talking about just now but, that he didn’t want to be alone again. ‘Poor Haruto. How long was he alone?’ I smiled deeply.
“Don’t worry Haruto. I’m not going anywhere anytime soon.” He smiled as well. He tried getting up but couldn’t all the way so I helped him. I placed him back down on the ground gently. My arm reached behind me and grabbed the blanket and tucked him in. “just rest now Haruto. I’ll be back soon” He nodded and closed his eyes. My hand went to his forehead and gently kissed it, in a motherly manner of course. I grabbed an empty clay jug and went outside to the normal day.
The red dust flowed slowly and the smoky air made me cough. ‘Nothing unusual,’ I smiled and walked down the usual path I took to get to Haruto’s garden. It was quiet like usual,… no sound could be heard, no smells could be smelt, and nothing important could be seen. Just another usual day, like all the others.
I arrived at the garden as I walked all the way to the back. There lies the small puddle of water, the only source that we had found. I stuck the homemade clay jar in and filled it with water to the brim, making sure I would have enough to last us the whole day. Coming out here by myself was so creepy, and scary, I didn’t like it at all. I looked down into the water as my reflection glistened up to me, I looked normal, the only thing were my eyes…. ‘what? My eyes? There, there black. Why aren’t they green?’ I thought. My arms reached up to them and gently glided beside them. ‘One of the only things I liked about myself. My green eyes. There gone!’ I knew they would turn this color eventually, every creature here has black eyes. I felt a tear fall down. “well, it doesn’t matter anymore know does it?” I brushed away the tear. And got up, starting the walk home.

****
I arrived at the tent, and was about to go in when I saw something. My eyes widened as I saw stuff thrown around. Bottles, blankets, and clothes were all out in the open. I ran in the tent worried, as I lifted the cloth covering Haruto I gasped. It was found empty and nothing seemed to be safe. My eyes turned to the rest of the tent as fear struck me, blood was splattered al over the walls, and slashes in the tent, that of claws, surrounded me.

Worried as much as possible I ran outside to follow the trail of blood. The red ooze was like a yellow brick path, I followed it till it turned the corner. I walked up to the wall as I leaned against the purple face and listened to any sounds or movements. Clashing and clanging filled the atmosphere.

I peeked my head over the large rock wall, only allowing my head to be seen. I was scared out of my mind, as I felt my heart race. Even though it was a blurry glance, the sight was covered with blood, that of human, and ex-human. As my vision went long range, and 5 figures were surrounding a smaller one. I gasped as that I noticed the one being surrounded was Haruto.

He was covered in his own blood, and purple, that of an ex-human. He was trying to take on all of them but it seemed impossible by himself. His stance was shaky and he seemed exhausted. ‘He is sick! Haruto?! He won’t make it long if he keeps it up like this!’ My first reaction was to run up to him, try and help, but I stopped myself.
The five ex-humans were only moderately damaged from Haruto’s attacks and still seemed to be going at him with full speed. ‘I know Haruto is a good swordsman, but… I don’t even he can take on all those. I should help, but I would probably only get in the way. What should I do?’ I began my cold sweats as I worried for Haruto. I was weak,… not nearly as strong or brave as Haruto. If I went out there now I would only get both of us killed.

Before I could finish my thoughts the 5 closed in on Haruto. “Haruto!” I yelled out without thinking. I quickly regretted my decision; all five of the monsters stopped their actions and looked my way, startled by the call. I quickly hid again behind the rock wall. I released the pressure on my knees and fell down on the ground clenching myself. My heart raced faster and faster as I tried to remain as quiet as possible, only my breathing was heard.

One of blood monsters started to make their way over to my position. My motions froze as I could hear the stomping of the monster coming towards me. I closed my eyes and cringed my teeth hoping he wasn’t going to find me. As each step came close I was trying to think of a way out but couldn’t think of any.

I turned my head slowly trying to face my fear. I opened my eyes and saw a face with skin peelings, razor sharp teeth growling and hissing, and blood oozing from its mouth standing only a few feet away facing me. My emotions froze as I was too scared to speak, yell, or move. An evil monstrous smile glazed his face as he was preparing to grip my body in his daggers. He got in a lunging position, but before he could cause any damage he was stabbed in the back causing him to knock out unconscious.

Haruto appeared before me in terrible condition with his sword struk in the blood monsters back.“Eri! What are you doing get up and run!” he yelled as he turned back to take on another ripping the sword out of the first.
“Haru…H, Har” I couldn’t finish his name. He turned his head and frowned at me, signally to go now. I snapped out of my daze and stumbled to get up. I started to run in the other direction, without thinking of Haruto’s situation. On instinct and impulse I knew I had to get away,… no matter what my body had to get away. I ran for a few seconds before falling backwards and being faced with yet one of the monsters. He had pulled me down by my cape, causing a huge tear. My face filled with fear as the blood monster growled at me snapping at my head. He was showing no mercy, he just had a killing instinct.
I quickly pulled out the small knife I kept in my pocket. I stood up as the monster lunged at me. I quickly dropped down and barrel rolled, barely missing his attack. I kicked the monster in the leg causing him to fall over as well, the kick was intended for his head,… but his leg was enough for me. My body lunged at the monster, rolling on top of the inhuman figure and tried to plunge the knife in his face. The knife fell down at the beast as it struggled to get me off him. I aimed for the read print on his head, but he dodged, his head switched to the side as my knife plunged into the ground deep. I tried pulling it out but it was stuck to hard in the rocks. He rose up his long tail and knocked me off him and throwing me about 15 feet away. Rolling and flipping I slammed against the purple rock valley. MY neck snapped in the wrong direction as pain shot up my spine.
I tried to stand up but my neck was hurting, and I felt tired, like I wanted to sleep forever,… almost like when I had died. My knife was still in the dirt where I had tried to stab the thing, I spotted it, but it was too far away. My opponent disappeared as I quickly searched for him,‘Front? Left? Right? Down? Up!” I quickly turned my head up to see the once human trying to body slam me. I started to crawl away and managed to doge the deadly attack but was meet by another as he switched his tail once again throwing me another few feet away.
I was covered with dirt, blood, and my ligaments were almost completely immobile. I tried to get on all fours but wasn’t succeeding. My face tumbled down as dirt flew in my mouth. The monster had decided to give me the final blow. He stated charging at me wanting to bit his teeth down on my neck. I started panicking as I looked around seeing anything that could help me, help me at all, and even a little. A rock, or a sharp object. My searching stopped on my knife which was now only five feet away from my body. I didn’t know what would happen if I were to die in Kyoko, but I didn’t want to find out. I reached out my hand and was able to scoot myself next to the knife. I looked back at the monster that was now only moments away from killing me. I grabbed the knife while clutching the handle tightly, and at the last moment I threw it into the monsters open mouth. It hit the back of his thoat as he stopped in his tracks.

He collapsed lifeless, or at least knocked out. I breathed out gasping for air as I backed away from the body and pulled myself up by using a nearby rock. I was able to stand, kinda. I turned to look for Haruto. My search spotted at him and gasped. He was lying down on the floor as the other three monsters surrounded him preparing to eat him. “Haruto! Get up Haruro! What are you doing?” I yelled out praying that he was okay. As I received no response I started to make my way over to him trying not to stumble. He laid there emotionless, not moving at all, not even when one of them bared their teeth into him.

The pain was excruciating but I kept on going worried he was hurt badly. “Haruto! Get up!” I yelled again as tears started filling my eyes. ‘Don’t die on me Haruto! I was the one who promised that I would be with you forever, now don’t you break my promise!’ an overwhelming pain hit my lung as I stopped, trying to breath. Even though I was breathing in no oxygen was filling my lungs, it was if a huge hole was letting out all the air from my lungs. I stated to get blurry vision, and my lungs felt like they were being crushed. My body collapsed as I gasped for air. Blood kept being coughed out of my mouth as a puddle was created in front of me, this didn’t help my breathing problem any, as the oxagen I did have in me was swiftly taken away. Another pain was felt as one of the ex-humans had made their way over to me and grabbed hold of my shoulder and was tearing and ripping my ligaments off. I shouted in pain as I tried to release the mongrel from tearing off my arm completely. I was able to reach my hand out and gouge where his eye was supposed to be. He stepped back and screamed in pain. Kicking my body in rage, he kicked hard enough to send me flying over next to Haruto. I breathed in, but again nothing was being brought to my lungs. The 3 of them surrounded us as they were about to devour our bodies.

I looked over at Haruto, but quickly turned my head away. His body was covered in so much blood you couldn’t even tell he was human. His leg was severed from his body, and deep gashes were all over oozing blood. Tears fell down my cheeks rapidly, ‘Haruto, I wasn’t able to help you! I wasn’t able to save you. Haruto’ “Haruto.” I whispered as my head was turned back to him. I grabbed his blood covered hand and clenched it hard, not wanting to release. “I’m sorry.” I managed to speak through my crying. I looked away from him, not wanting to remember his face as it was. My eyes closed as I wishing this was a dream. A dream that would end, and I would wake up to find the lively and annoying Haruto beside me. But in my heart, I knew this was no dream, nor would it become one. ‘I just want to live; I want to live with Haruto just like we were. Everything was perfect; I just want to protect him.’ I clenched my teeth in anger.

The monsters surrounded us as they prepared for a meal. They were going to eat us alive, which I knew would be the most horrible pain so far. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry! I am so sorry I couldn’t help you” I yelled out, as my final breath escaped my mouth. They placed their claws down on my body and I waited not to wake up again or something of the sorts. Maybe be cased into Hell, or in a black pit, I just knew that when you die for a second time, it couldn’t be a good thing.
After a few moments I opened my eyes wondering if they were eating me. I was instead greeted with a yellow light coming from me. Blinding light came from my pocket. I was amazed at what was happening as I stared at my pocket. An object started to arise from my pocket. “What is that” I muttered. The object floated up as if by magic. It had protected me,… it saved my life.

A golden object was found floating above me. I wasn’t a hundred percent sure, but it seemed like that was the watch I had found 4 weeks ago lying in the dirt. I had completely forgotten about it, until now that is. The light shown so brightly as the monsters stepped back amazed by the scenes unfolding. The watch came flying towards me. And the object went straight into me, as if it was a part of me. I was confused, but I wasn’t scared, I had felt much scarier things than this.
The light lifted me from the ground about 10 feet above the monsters, as if it was a blanket, and I was the child being cradled. They stared in amazement as the light engulfed me making it impossible to see my body. As the light resonated from me, I was greeted with an ultimate pain I had ever felt. The pain came from my heart, lungs, and my head. I clenched my head trying to shake it out. It was if a loud screeching was shouting through my body trying to tell me something, something important. I closed my eyes as the light began to hurt more and more.

Seconds of excruciating pain later, it stopped, not just the pain, but the world seemed to stop itself. As I floated in the air for minutes it seemed something hit me. Knowledge of something I had never known, I embraced the knowledge being feed into my brain. It was if I knew everything, about everyone.
The light cleared and I was left floating, having an urge. An urge to kill, and I knew how to kill. Everything came to me in an instant. I took a fighting stance as I was lowered to the ground. In my hand I held a weapon. It was longer than my body and was silver with black engravings. It had a long pole which I held in my grasp, and at the end it curved off to the side giving it a grim reaper style look weapon. The engravings matched that of the watch that held by my side. All of which I could not read, the only thing that I could was painted in gold making it stand out from the rest. “Soul Stealer” I read aloud. An evil smile appeared on my face as I was excited, and craved for killing.

My mind filled with images as I knew how to kill these blood monsters. I took the images as I ran towards them at full speed, not showing any mercy. As I jumped up, my scythe hooked onto ones neck and pulled his head clean off, in the same motion I swung the blade and swiped one in half. The head of the others fell by my feet as the blood from the others landed on my face. The other tried to grab me from behind but I dodged it easily, my speed had increased as well. I swiped the last ones legs off and hit his head is an ax moving motion. “Pitiful.” I said as all three as been taken down in only moments. Purple blood oozed around me as I felt empowerment whell up inside me. Another evil smile appeared on my face as I searched the dead bodies, happy to see them be torn apart.

I looked down as not only had my powers changed but so had my image. I was now in a one piece silk black uniform, which covered my neck; it had one white line go down the top half like the other. And I had a newer non torn cloak placed on top of me, similar to my old one but this one was the dark color of black. My hair was also about 5 inches longer, and my scar on my cheek was now more defined. The scar on my cheek was the one thing that seemed to not change that much. But, it seemed like the burden I carried with it was heavier.
The pain that I felt was gone, and I seemed to be in perfect health. I gasped a si remembered Haruto. “Haruto!” I whispered shaking.

I dropped my bloody scythe off to the side as I rushed over to his side. I landed next to him and started to scope his injuries. A tear fell down my cheek as I knew there was no way he could have survived. “NO! Haruro, wake up. Haruro?” I shook him gently not wanting to accept it. ‘Haruto?’ tears streamed down more and more till a puddle was created. I leaned over him looking into his black lifeless eyes. I squeezed his black cloak.

“Eri….?” I opened my crying eyes. My head backed away from his chest and looked up to his face. He was smiling his happy comforting smile. It was sweet and caring; he seemed sad but still was trying to comfort me.
“Haruto?” a smile grazed my face. I released my grip on him. ‘He’s alive, good!’
“I’m sorry…” he weakly whispered.
“Don’t be sorry,” I was interrupted.
“I’m sorry, I couldn’t protect you. And thank you,…” he grabbed my hand. My eyes started to get watery again, ‘Is he saying good-bye? NO! HARUTO DON’T DIE! PLEASE NO!!!!’ “For staying with me till the very end.” My eyes pooped open as he leaned forward nearer to my face. I wasn’t able to move, nor could I speak. He lightly placed his lips on mine. MY body shook a the sudden movement, he was saying good bye. A feeling rushed through my body as I felt a different sensation. My first kiss was being given to a dying man. I didn’t move away from Haruto, nor push him away. My body seemed to feel fine with this though my mind was confused and heart broken. I felt my heart break as I knew this was it,… I wanted him to stay with me,.. forever. But, he was being taken away from me,… just like everything else. It hurt, it hurt a lot. More than a humanly pain,… I felt it in my soul, it was tugging and slamming at it. And soon my heart broke into pieces, splattered all over the place.

He removed after a few seconds and placed his head down with a smile grazed on his face. His hand released from mine, as it fell to the ground making a thumping sound. “Haruto…?” I awaited a response. “Haruto!” my hands shook him trying to wake up. “Haruto wake up!” I kept on shaking him. “HARUTO!” I yelled out as tears kept falling and falling, I couldn’t stop them nor did I want to. I fell down on his dead chest as I cried for hours and hours. Haruto was always just a hands length away, and yet he seemed so far.
End of Flashback

Earth

Walking. Walking. Walking forever. A long road in which it never ends. A dirt path, barely able to stay on. The path continued forever and ever, never ceasing to stop. This path is Life. Life is what so many people imagine as something you can’t touch, something that is not an object but rather an idea or phrase that is used. But, just as humans have been proven wrong so many times, yet another time they have not seen the path of Life.

Life… is an object. A road that we walk upon as we pass through our daily lives. So many walk on the same path and not even see it. The path guides us, protects us, and makes our future. When your soul is dead, this path…., this old dirt path, is taken away from you. You will stray farther and farther from the Life path, and soon you will find yourself on one of the other many paths. My own path that I strayed to was that of Kokyo.

My feet tambered on the rocks as I passed through the small village. With every step my foot would create a bounce sending small pebbles flying up. My hips swayed side to side, as my black hair followed the routine. Eyes were set dead on my moving body. Eyes filled with hatred were fixated on me, scoping my confident movements, hating all that I did.

I strutted across the path that was created for me, as gasps and whispers filled crowds. I could feel the burden of the hatred that I held on my shoulders, yet I walked straight and walked with confidence. For I had a mission, a mission that could change my whole life. Eyes that hated me wouldn’t stop me from following my mission exactly.

‘Yes, we all follow this path that we are given. Whether it be Life, Heaven, Hell, or the many others. But… I will force the path I am on to change. My body will change this path by force, overruling nature.’

“You don’t belong here, human!” A dark voice came from the crowd. My eyes shifted and glared in the direction. From the darkness of a tent stepped out a Demon. The Demon was a below average fighter, like most of the ones in this village. He was tall and overly muscular. Brown long hair, and large green eyes. He had human likeness.

“You need to leave! We don’t except your kind here!” he yelled out and buffed his stance to seem intimidating. His Go-T scuffled as he frowned deeply at me.

“Tell her Big Swan!” a voice yelled from the crowd. Many followed suit cheering on their own kind. Shunning me out as if I were a disease. “Get her kind out of here!”

“Big Swan.” He glared at me calling his name. “Popular known in the North region of Kukyo, only for his one fight with one of the seven, which he supposable defeated. Has a wife, but no children. He owns a clothing shop and isn’t that much of a fighter.” He held his position, even though shocked by how much I knew of him. “I have no corral with you.” I stated simply and continued walking.

He shuddered and growled, certainly surprised by my words. He shook his stubby fingers at my direction, “hhuuuuuh?! I will fight you! I am Big Swan! I will retain my name as the most powerful Demon in Kukyo!” I frowned deeply at his remark.

Some might call Eri Itu a cold person, but I knew that it wasn’t completely true. Yes, I did indeed prefer to be left alone, but I could never take that of an innocent life even if provoked to do so. I would never kill anyone who didn’t deserve it, that was what I thought was right back then. But today I know that saying something so simple, as a rule weather to kill someone or not was so evil and wrong. I always used to judge others lives by that of which the wrong they have done in their time. But, how can I do such a thing when I myself have done so much wrong, who am I to judge others.

I continued walking on the crimson rocks persistent to arrive at my destination. Many other low class Demons wanted to challenge me but I declined each trivial fight. Even if one of those many Demons could last longer than 5 minutes in a fight, there would be no justice in killing them. These Demons were equal to that of the average human. How they ever became Demons at all was always a mystery to me.

I came upon a clearing of which I was not to be found by any more Demons. My hand reached into my cloak as I pulled out my watch. The golden engravings shown beautifully in the red light. I clicked open the top and stared down at the numerals defining the time.

“Where is she?! We were supposed to meet half an hour ago!” my words could barely be heard through the crunching of my teeth. I placed the watch back inside my cloak as the silver chain was all that could be seen. “Always late! Every single time!”

The thundering of feet could be heard thumping on the ground. I turned my head to face the sound. A small figure was seen rushing up over the horizon, it was running at full speed leaving a trail of dust behind. I frowned and clasped my hands around my mouth, “YOUR LATE!” I yelled getting the attention of the small object.

“NO IM NOT!” the figure yelled back still running as fast as possible. The voice was young and squeaky leaving an echo as it bounced around. As the person came closer you could see it was a child. Her blond curly hair was caught in two pigtails and bounced around, as her bangs swooped to the right. Her height was laughable, barely reaching 4 feet. She also wore a cloak covering her body, and a blue jewel hung around her neck. Her grey eyes were fixated on me as she came closer and closer.

When she finally caught up to me, nothing left of her seemed to be there. She huffed and puffed trying to catch her breath. Sweat poured out of her body as she was bent over. “Aimi, your still late.” She growled at my remark.

“Shut up! I can never be on time! I even woke up at 6 this morning. And look, I still showed up late!” she stood up straight only reaching my chest. She looked like a kid, but actually she was 17 years old. A whole year older than me, and she still hasn’t seemed to hit puberty.

“Thanks a lot! If we get put off of this job, I’m blaming you!” I turned my back to her and started walking.

“Ah, don’t worry I can sweet talk any man into changing his mind.” She bragged and started to follow.

“I doubt you can talk our Lord into something like that. He literally can’t be swayed by anyone.” We continued to walk together.

“Ya, your right. That guy seems pretty darn emotionless. Oh ya! Like a week ago, I asked him if he wanted a cookie and guess what he said?” I frowned. ‘Probably something stupid’ I thought but held my tounge.

“What?”

“He said ‘I need no cookies!’ and then he threw them against the wall. He acted like a gorilla stomping his arms around. He even started growling at me!”

“Please, I bet you’re lying. If anyone were to do that I’d be you.”

“I WOULD NOT! And besides if I would do that, not saying that I did!”

“Uh hu!” I sighed.

“I would rather act like a bunny!”

“Why a bunny?”

“Because bunnies are cute and adorable! They can hop over a hundred feet in the air and fly! Ya fly, they fly through the sky catching giant mice to give to their babies. And when they get tired they can sleep in trees! And then they have 5 or 6 babies and teach them to fly!” she clapped her hands exited about the species.

“I think you have rabbits confused with birds,”

I stopped walking and peered up. In the middle of the road was a giant building. It was a huge black bubble that spanned at least a few miles long. I gasped at the size. Aimi hit my back while chatting about bunnies. Her body being so small that I barely felt her ram into me. She frowned deeply. “Hey why did you stop?!” she peeked over my side and quickly was greeted with the godly building. We both stared in awe. “WOW”

“Why the heck is it so big?! Our Lord must really think he is God.” I stammered to continue. We both continued to the humongous building, being aware of every little detail. We came up to the door which was gray and not as magnificent as the building itself. It had a few windows in the door and a normal silver door knob. Beside the door was the door bell, it was plain and grey matching the door. I gently reached out my hand and rang the door bell.

“DING DONG DING DONG!” it rang loudly and echoed from inside. I took a step back and awaited an answer. The grey stairs leading up to the door were like that of to the ones of where his Majesties thrown sat. A moment passed before a voice came from behind the door. This voice was light but rude, that of a male.

“Who is it!” it remarked quiet nastily. I could feel the anger resonating from him.

“Umm, Eri Itu and Aimi Hoshi! We were requested here,” I yelled back ignoring the rudeness in his voice.

“hummm?! NOPE! No one by those names were requested here.”

“What?! No we were told to go here!” I planted my ground.

“You must have the wrong place!”

“Ya! Like there 5 other huge buildings in the middle of the desert!” the door knob began to open. It was cracked slightly as before me stood a gremlin. His large ears covered half of the doorway. His small fuzzy body was brown and white, while his eyes were a deep black. He stood only half a foot tall, this made me wonder how he was able to open the door so easily. He had a frown on his face and growled at my presence. “UH?” I shook his appearance out of my head. “Will you let us in, we have an appointment to attend.”

“Hmm? NO! Now go away!”

“Grumpy fella aren’t ya. Look I feel bad for you, having to be that small and having the job of door keeper. It must be really strenuous. But, understand I have the opportunity of a life time, and I’m not going to miss it. So will you please let us in?”

“I SAID NO! NOW GET OUT OF HERE BEFORE I MAKE YOU!” I frowned deeply. ‘What’s his problem?!’

“Ok listen! I’ll ask you one more time, will you let us in?!”

“NO!” he yelled and started slamming the door. I put my hand in-between the crack and held the door open by force.

“please?!” I begged.

“NO NO NO NO NO!” he slammed the door as hard as he could. The door fell on my hand and crunched it. Bones could be heard crunching and snapping. The pressure made my hand turn red. I was able to slip out my hand barely keeping all my fingers attatched. I cradled my hand as it pumped red.

“WHAT WAS THAT FOR?!” I wined in pain. “THAT HUUUURRRRT!”

“It was suppose to!” he yelled back at me and prepared to close the door again.

“That’ll be enough Sigest.” A manly voice came from behind the door. The gremlin froze in place as he seemed in shock. Sweat poured from his body as I fell to the ground still cradling the broken hand. A chill was sent up my spine as I felt the presence intensify. It felt like a huge weight dropped on top of me and was crushing my every bone. This person, no I want to say Demon, had overwhelming power. Power that was so dangerous and scary that even the ground seemed to shake. This was truly the one who sent for me. This was our King.

“Ye…yes, my Lord.” The gremlin shook and bowed before running off in the other direction. My eyes dare not to look up, nor did I move from my position. My lungs crushed and my heart pounded.

“You’re late.” The voice spoke. I was surprised that such a normal response could have come from someone with such power. I struggled to make my head face this Demon. As my head reached the view of our Master I was stunned. The man that had always spoken from the darkness was standing before me. I couldn’t see his face though. He wore a cloak, like many others, that covered all of his body. The cloak was black and the hood hung over his eyes only allowing his mouth to be seen. The long eerie cloak lowered past his feet as it draped over every single inch of his body. He was clearly trying to hide his identity.

“Uhm, of course my Lord. Were… very sorry, please forgive us.” I breathed out heavily. Our Master stood over me and Aimi without saying a word. Just hovering over us beaming down. I couldn’t seem to know what he was feeling, happiness, or anger couldn’t be read from his actions. “We have accepted your request, my Lord.” I spoke knowing what Aimi was thinking. I swallowed the lump that was created in my throat.

He paused for a moment, “….Please, come inside.” He turned around and started his way into the building. Aimi, who I guess was less impressed with his power, skipped past me and into the large dome. I myself still was feeling shivers climb up and down my spine. ‘How? How,… can anyone be so powerful. Just by standing by him I lose all my strength.’ I placed my hand on my knee to help myself up off the grey slab. Once standing fully I took one last breath before stepping into the unknown.

As I entered the massive structure I was met with a plain décor. The walls were a gloomy grey as the floor was a plain auburn wood. No windows and nothing hung from the walls. No Demons, humans, or creatures were in the building. No rooms or other paths, there was just one long hallway that seemed to continue on forever. Echoes could be heard when you walked, and even more when someone spoke.

“Wow! You have a nice place here.” Aimi suddenly outbursted sarcastically. I gasped at her unwillingness to be polite and respectful in the audience of our King.

“AIMI!” I yelled at her.

“What?” she squeaked back as the echo of her words continued for several seconds.

“It’s quiet fine Eri. Ms. Hoshi is right; this place could use some lightening up.” The Master spoke, actually having a sincere and calm voice. Unlike the one he used in our first meeting. When he was surrounded by that darkness, he was very rude and pushy. ‘What? How can he take such a rude statement and brush it off like that. He must have a huge amount of patience.’ I remained silent.

The three of us continued to walk, our Lord leading the pack, Aimi following extremely close behind him, while I trailed far way still uneasy about getting to close to this weary power.

We walked for several minutes before in the distance I saw a wooden door. The door was the only one in the building, and it was very simple and didn’t hold much significance. It was a dark brown with black trim and a golden door knob. It had the look of a pirate ship theme, almost as if it was taken back from time and placed here.

“Through this door we will discuss the mission. Anything that is said through that door stays in that room. You will not reveal anything to anyone about what you will hear. And if you do, your life will be in mortal danger. You will have to be eliminated.” The king spoke in a very serious tone. I gulped the spit down my throat as I took what he said to heart, I could tell he was being completely truthful.

“All we need now is a depressing soundtrack to play in the background and this scene will be awesome! Huh u, you getting what I mean Eri? Hu hu?” Aimi kept nudging me in the side. I stood there frozen as my body was swayed by this small person. Her very childish acts was what I thought were going to get us killed.

Our Master opened the door reveling the room. One light hung from the middle of the room swaying back and forth. A round grey table sat in the middle of the room with about 8 chairs surrounding it. 2 of which were already filled. Dust surrounded the room and it was defiantly now a scene from a horror movie. The room was giving me bad vibes, and even against my greatest resistance I walked in and took the nearest seat.

My legs shook in nervousness, and my hands quivered in between my legs. Even though I was uneasy I made sure not to show my weakness. Showing weakness as a first impression is about the worst greeting you can have. Aimi took the seat to the right of me while our Master went to the front of the table and took his seat. The two that were in here before we arrived couldn’t be seen, they both sat back farther so only figures were able to notice.

It remained quiet for what seemed like an hour. The one light that swayed was all that could be heard. Even the sound of breathing ceased to exist. All of us remained still. During that time I took the advantage of trying to feel how much power resonated from the other two. One was stronger than both Aimi’s and mine, but the others couldn’t be felt at all. Almost as if he didn’t exist. Nothing resonated from his body, almost as if he was smoke just floating freely.

My attention returned to the front of the table when our Lord started to speak. He sighed very loudly at first and then took a more comfortable position. He placed his hand up to his cheek and rested atop of it while the rest of his body seemed to release all tension. I envied him to be able to get that comfortable all the sudden, my body still shook with vibes. “I guess first off we should introduce ourselves. State your name and then your place in the group that you have been given. We will then continue on with our briefing.”

A lighter voice spoke next, still male though. “I am Junichi Saioto, the right hand man.”

“Aimi Hoshi! Nice to meet you all! Third in this so called operation”

“Takashi Imia, fourth.” A much cooler and smooth voice spoke. This man’s voice I liked because I could tell by his introduction he was the type to say what was needed and no more and no less. I swallowed and then spoke for my introduction.

“My name is Eri Itu, and my rank is fifth seat. Pleasure to be working with you.”

“Okay, now let us start.” Everyone in the room shifted to face the speaker. “Most of you have almost no clue as to why I recruited you. Why? Simple, you four are the most powerful ones I could find. All of you have been handpicked because I believe in your trust and abilities.

This mission will take several months, and I expect all of you to follow my rules to the exact letter. Everything I ask you to do will be very important, if you mess up it might ruin the whole mission. For example if I say ‘I need you to go to this building and kill all the guards and retrieve this book.’ I don’t want you to just kill the guards in your way, or retrieve the book but also steal a vase, I want you to follow my exact instructions. I will most likely never tell you exactly why we do things. Only if necessary.

Now to the most important part. I want you to listen carefully; I will only tell you once. You already know where we are going, but I will remind you. We are taking a secret portal to Earth.”

Death Is no Curse
Fractious Squables
Chapter 4
The room was tense just by those few words that were spoken. All I could think of was how much I really knew about this mission. Nothing. All I knew is that there was the chance that I could get out of this horrible place and back to more of civilized surroundings. I don’t care what we were doing, how, or to whom, all I care about is the place I will be in. Maybe everyone felt the same way? No… that seems ridiculous that they would all see this as just an excuse to leave… they might actually have a loyalty to the King.
Don’t get me wrong. I do indeed see the Lord as a superior figure, one that should not be messed with. But, I don’t trust him, I don’t respect his decisions, and I barely respect him as a person. Although, I dare not say this, that could mean death… but whatever, my opinion doesn’t matter anyway. The tension dropped as the silence was broken.
“I don’t know how long until we will return,” The Lord spoke will a gentle roll of the tongue, but he was all about seriousness, one of the very few things I commend about him. “The mission itself will vary and you will all be in the dark most of the time. But… I can tell you this. A new enemy has arisen that for the survival of Kyoko, must be destroyed.” My eyes squinted to try and get a glimpse of the man, though he was completely shrouded in darkness, I could tell that he was agitated by something. His laps in his words, the repeated gulps, and the tight clenching of his hands. I am stunned and rather confused by what could possible make the Lord apprehensive.
“As far as we know, this being is neither a Demon, Human, or any other creature we know of. It is something entirely different,” a voice spoke in; I recognize it as the person called Junichi. A shifting towards my left. I catch a quick glance to see that Aimi is not paying attention but rather, fiddling with her skull head.
I give a disguised face in her direction, even though I know she can’t see me in this type of light. I have always been completely grossed out by the fact that she can even touch skulls, let alone keep them as some kind of demonic dead pet. I want to nudge her and yell at her for not paying attention, but I really don’t want to draw attention to myself in a meeting as serious as this.
“Yes, June is right.” The Lord speaks. I realize that the man I know as an all powerful being has given a nick name to someone… unusual is the only thing I can think of. “They have drained the souls of many humans, causing the balance between death and life to be fractured. If this being continues, neither Earth, nor Kyoko will exist.” He pauses. “… I suppose all of you are up to the challenge seeing as you all have shown up. But, I will ask anyways. If any of you want to back out now, no one will hold it against you.” Everyone was silent, even more so now than before. Breathing was now an accessory many of us chose to not use, it was quiet. I felt like someone was going to back out of this thing…. But no one did. “Good, that’s all I can inform you on right now. Gather your things from your home and come back in an hour.” He stood up and walked over to the door, opening it and moving down the winding hallway. No one moved until the his presence was no longer felt. Then, I left first, followed by the ever persistent Aimi.
>>>($$)<<<
I didn’t go to my so called home and pick anything up. I had nothing to pick up; all my belongings were already with me when I arrived. That being the clothes on my back and the golden watch that I had found the first day I arrived here in this God Forsaken barren wasteland.
Instead I had simply walked out into the concrete steps of the front door and sat down. Staring up into the blood colored sky, up into the ever continuing landscape of dust and debris. A gust of wind howled across the landscape as the dust was caught on my clothes and skin, causing me to feel tattered and unclean. Nothing that is unusual. ‘This place is truly worse than Hell…’ I whisper in my mind. I speak out of frustration, never being to Hell I could never make that conclusion on my own. My lungs take sharp inhales, but instead of them being filled with a refreshing breath, they are filled with the smell of dead bodies and dirt. ‘It’s no wonder I want out of here… who wouldn’t?’ I sarcastically snort.
The time passes by quickly as soon in the distance I see the familiar face of Aimi. She runs as a cloud of dust trails behind her. My body raises itself up and I start my way inside knowing that the hour is up, seeing as Aimi never shows up early… and I mean never. I walk down the long single hallway looking for the door that lead to the conference room. Or so I thought was where I should go, seeing as how the King said nothing otherwise.
“ERI! ERI!” I hear screeching from behind me. The voice was rebounding off the tall hallway, as her yelling could disturb the dead. I dare not turn around to meet Aimi’s face. I simply keep walking trying my best to lose the pestering girl. But, as always that doesn’t work. She clumps onto my back. Her feet entangled around my neck, causing me to choke by the strenuous force. She was sending me forwards in a loss of balance. My feet struggle to keep their weight up as the girl starts pounding on my head.
“HOW DARE YOU NOT WAIT FOR ME!” she pouts out, still slamming her fists into my fore head. I grunt every time she does so as the blows are constantly stronger than anyone would expect for a girl of her stature.
“AIMI STOP!” I call as I am this close to throwing her against the wall.
“HMPPPPFFFFFFF!!!” she jumps off my back to land easily and with grace on the floor. “I don’t know if we can still be friends after that stunt you pulled!” she crosses her arms and looks away from me. Her lips pursed up.
“Fine by me,” I say grumpily as I rub my head trying to rid it of the given bruises.
“ERI!” she gasps angrily as she spins around. Steam is flying off her head as she seems to notice that it really is ‘fine by me’. “That is not what you were supposed to say!” she throws her fist in the air, probably trying to make this more dramatic than it really is.
“I don’t care what I was supposed to say, I said what I said and I meant it!” I scorched back. I had had enough of her ever continuing rants about who cares what, about no one knows who, and ALL THE COMPLAINING!
“ERI!” she scorns me as if I am the one who is being childish, when in actuality she acts the way she looks.
“Ladies, please. No fighting,” a voice interrupts, the smooth glossy and comforting echo is unwilling for this kind of behavior. “I enjoy peace and quiet,” My Lord says as he walks between us and into the door that we had originally walked through to get to the conference room. He is still in the same jacket that shrouds his identity, and he seems to have not done anything in the past hour, accept for wait.
“S-SORRY!” I shout has I bend in a small bow, sweat trickling off my neck as I hope I had not just done anything that might affect my image. I want to scorn myself for yelling that out after he had just said he enjoys peace and quiet.
“She started it…” Aimi mumbles to herself as we enter following behind the man. I again am frustrated by the lack of both light and oxygen, but take the nearest seat. This time though, instead of Aimi scooting as close to me as possible she sits at the far end of the table… her pouty state clearly shown. I brush of her antics as I cross my arms and wait for this ‘get together’ to start.
The door opens once again, but to reveal the two that I had yet to meet face to face. I am stunned by their looks, nothing I guess I should be stunned by… but I just was. One is tall and has a demeanor of timid, unspoken, and quiet about him. He seems to be the same height as our King, and has piercing red eyes. The red eyes stare through everything, reading the minds of the people, studying them as if we are a science project. His hair is long and silky having it be in a pony tail that is similar to a samurais. The hair is a dark purple as it shines even in this dark room. He wore a long cloak that matches the color of the deep night, as it covers almost head to toe, making sure that you can’t see anything of his face accept for those blood red eyes.
The man that enters after him, seems to be almost the exact opposite. He is taller than the one that entered first by almost half a foot or so. His strides are full of pride and a strictness, as he seems like he is worthy to be here. His face is pointing and has a shape only designed by sculptors. His eyes, much unlike the others are black, same as almost everyone in Kyoko, same as mine in fact. The man’s hair is curly and has tangled locks here and there, but I think some might find that… I don’t know what they would say… ‘Cute?’ or maybe… ‘Rough?’? I don’t know. The color of his hair is a bright blonde that reminds me of Aimi’s. He wears a white outfit that is also a cloak of some sorts, but different somehow. It reaches to the ankles and has a belt around his waist, long sleeved, but no hoodie. I hate to say it… but it looked like a dress almost.
Anyway, after my long evaluations of them, they each took seats, far separate from each other, and began to only focus at the person in the front of the table.
“Okay then, now that we are all here… I guess we can begin.” A sigh erupts from the King as he again takes a leisurely posture. “Were here,” he comments simply. I widen my eyes… was he kidding? Is this a joke? We couldn’t possibly travel a dimensions difference in a fraction of a second?! COULD WE?
No… I am taking him to seriously… way to seriously. “Heee” I kind of give a giggle slash confused croak, for his amusement. “Ha… so how are we really going to do this?” I ask hesitantly. Hoping this really wasn’t… it?
“I already did ‘it’… now come on all of you. We got to go,” he stands and starts walking to the door. I raise an eyebrow as I think he is taking it too far. That he would sit back any minute and start laughing… but he didn’t.
“W-wha?” I mumble out. My eyes are focused on him as he opens the door. I immediately shroud my eyes with my hands as the light that is forcing it’s way in is almost blinding. I am confused as to when that grey hallway had turned into a sunny day on… on… Earth? No… it couldn’t be.
But… wait… what is that smell? It doesn’t smell like dirt, or death, or anything I have smelt in a long time… it’s fresh… and clean? Everyone in the room seems to be as stunned as me… okay… actually no one seems to be as stunned as me. All of my 4 comrades started to push their way out of the box and into the world… that was… not… Kyoko.
I hear sounds that I haven’t heard in the longest of time… birds, trees rustling, grass shifting, nature itself. Things that I know… or that I thought could never exist in Kyoko. But, there it was… in front of me. Through that wooden door.
Everyone had exited besides me, who was left sitting in awe… in complete and utter confusion. The King is still holding the door open… a… smile on his lips… almost beckoning me to follow. Calling my name to rejoin the world that we were all banned to return to.
The sun is so bright and luminous I feel like it hurts to even be in its presence. I want to go hide in a corner, sit there and return to the darkness I had grown accustomed to, but I don’t.
“I-is… that really Earth?” I ask timidly. My eyes so blinded by the white rays that they turn away from the opening. The King nods his head.
“Sure is… now are you coming or not?” he asks. A… almost playful hint in his voice. I stand… weakly as I wobble from side to side for a moment. I clench the round steel desk for support, as I stare at the opening… not being able to look past but only seeing this holy light. I am afraid to enter that place, afraid of what I might be faced with… afraid. I take a step forward… because I know this is what I had been waiting for. All those years, all of it was for this, to be able to get out of the hole and rejoin what I had once called evil and disgusting.
‘Would you do it? Would you leave?’ I hear his voice. The voice of the man long forgotten, the man who I suppress every day of my life. His voice is in my head as I repeat those words he said to me long ago. I am brought back to that day… that day that we had a talk that I shall never forget.
‘We were both sitting there, in the tent. A dust storm outside making us hide in the encloser. We had originally been just moping around, and occasionally played a game of asking questions to each other. Such as, favorite color, favorite memory… and stuff like that. But, we had somehow stumbled about the conversation of Earth. A topic that I did not exactly favor, seeing as how it made me dread this place even more so.
“Yeah… of course I would!” I answer almost stunned by his question, my voice loud in the still tent. “I mean, who wouldn’t want to leave this stupid place!” I kick the bottom of the tent, signifying my hatred towards the place called Kyoko. There is a sudden silence, as the only sound is the howling wind currents outside and the flapping tent opening that would occasionally throw dust in the small space. I furrow one of my of my eye brows as a disbelieving grin comes up on my face. “Haruto… no…you really don’t like it here?” I ask in a cocky voice.
“…It’s not that bad…” he timidly admits. I roll my eyes at the then and grunt. “I mean come on, what does Earth have that we don’t?” he seems to be offended that I don’t feel the same way.
“Ummm… everything? Haruto don’t you know what Kyoko means… emptiness… this place is empty!” I plop down on my back to stare up at the roof of the tent.
“Well, okay… maybe it doesn’t have the latest plants and technology and all that what not. But… it has something about it, the people here… something about them that makes me care for them. I…” he pauses. I am now staring wide eyed at him, trying to even comprehend the words he is saying. I wonder if he is referring to those creatures that were once human? Or the demons that resemble people themselves?
“What?” I usher him to continue, although I am scared he will say something that is completely absurd.
“I want to rule this place…” he says. I am almost stricken with an inconceivable belief that Haruto might be crazy.
“NO!” I gasp out. “Come on… that’s…. well that’s kind of different,” I actually can’t find a good enough reason to slam his childish dreams to the ground. I mean… ya… they have Demons and beings that will eat ya… it sucks living here. But, isn’t that all the more reason to have a leader? Someone who can fix all that?
“Well, why do you want to return to Earth so bad. It’s not like there’s anything amazing their either!” he seems to pout a little at my reaction. I ponder the question… carefully before answering.
“Because… theirs life. There’s life there that I could never find here. People… is what I mean,” I gaze over to Haruto’s expression. I am hesitant to convince myself that this is truly the reason. Had I really missed ‘people’ in general? All those times I told my parents how much I hated them, after seeing just how evil that world was. Did I actually long for that?
“Well you got me…” he smiles slyly. “Isn’t that all you need?”
“Ya… I guess you’re right. But, if you weren’t here… then I would want to go back for sure!” I admit.’
‘Yes… that’s why I went through all this trouble. Because I want to leave… because Haruto is not here… so there is no reason to stay,’ I now feel sturdy and ready for what lies beyond the door. I take a few steps forward, and then a few more strides… until… I feel the darkness of the room leave me and be replaced by the light of the Sun. ‘Because… Home is with Haruto… and now since he is gone.’ I examine the area, taking a leap of faith and having my shoes feel the grassy weight underneath it. ‘So my home is now here… here on Earth is where I belong,’
The sun shines with its alluring rays down unto the soil. The wind is rustling through the branches of the deep and thick forest. The vast darkness expands for what seems forever. The clearing we stand in appears to be a meadow, tall uncut lush grass spreads as far as the eye can see, flowers coloring rainbows line the trees serving as a beauty like no other. Such a wonderful feeling it was… though bittersweet… I felt as if alive. As if I had never left this amazing wonderland, as if I had been here all my life, now just being awaked from that terrible nightmare I left behind.
My eyes are hurt from just the abundant amount of vivid colors that surround me, Kyoko was never like this… and now that I am faced with all these majestic things I know I made the right choice. I feel like running through the fields, frolicking across the dandelions and lilies, climbing to the tallest limb on the tallest tree and looking out into the horizon. What a keen and lively feeling that rushes through my body, the sun heat that beads down on me surrounds me in a blanket and snuggles me tight.
No dust. No blood. No suffocating. No death. No red sky. No horrible memories.
I can’t help but smile. Though I have never been one to get so excited, my grin reached from ear to ear, filled with a complete and utter relief of joy.
I can’t help but jogg over to the grass fields and lie down to stare up at the sky.
I can’t help but pick flowers and indulge myself with the smells of their nature.
I can’t help but play tag with Aimi, even though it is a childish game.
I can’t help but run to the trees and climb up the branches and outlook onto the forest.
I can’t help… but enjoy this feeling… of returning home.
>>>>>>>/\<<<<<<
The birds chirp their lovely melody as we are all surrounded by life. Everywhere you look, you see something flourishing with bright and radiant colors, you can’t help but notice that the air is so fresh and clean it feels as though you are being bathed in it.
Aimi, June, Takishima, me, and the Lord, were all surrounded by a great and tall oak tree. We sat by the roots, being shrouded by the thousands of leaves shade. Their shadows cascading onto our bodies and the grass. I am the only one who is leaning up against the tree, while Aimi and what I believe to be… June… are sitting down. And the other two occupants are standing with a strong will not too fancy themselves in the pleasures of enjoying this wonderful day. I can’t say the same for myself, ‘Stiffs…’ I quietly mock in my mind.
“Well, now…” Started the dark and alluring voice of the King. His hands crossed over each other, preparing for what seemed a lecture. “Junichi, what is next in our plan?” He inquires to his right hand man. Said person lifts his gaze to the shrouded king and keeps a straight and emotionless face.
“We settle in, blend with the crowd, and make ourselves unnoticed to the enemy,” he speaks fluently, without having to second guess or pause to think.
“Oh… good…” The King paused for a moment. “Well, you heard the man. Go do as he says, Shoo, off with you,” The King spoke as if seeming that he himself was unprepared for this journey.
I exchange a confused glance with Aimi, who seems to be just as distraught as myself. We both shrug our shoulders and start walking off in the other direction. It seemed like it would be easy enough to fit into a place that I had once blending into with precision. Aimi sticks to my side as the rest of the party goes their separate ways. I am wondering how we will know to find each other, I mean… it’s not like we can talk through our minds or something weird like that.
Our duo trots through a shaded pathway on what seems to be a frequently used trail. So, we guess this should be the best way to find civilization. It remains quiet for a long while, as the sounds of nature engulf us in their wonder. The birds chirping, crickets do their thing, wind holing across the trees every so often, and the sound of our feet hitting the pebbles on the ground.
“So…” Aimi began, her voice ushering a conversation. I frown a little as I had been enjoying the awkward silence. “I am not exactly sure… what we’re doing here?” Aimi asked to particularly no one.
“I don’t either… we weren’t told. Remember?” I say as if I am superior to her.
“I know that, you stupid dummy!” She retorts. “I am talking about where the heck we are going? And when we do get there, what are we supposed to do?” She clears her question up. I make an ‘o’ face with my lips as her question makes more sense.
“Well, we’ll hopefully come across someone on this path… and try to just hang around until the Lord sends for us…” I ponder the answer carefully. “To tell you the truth… I don’t really know myself.” I shrug my shoulders. I hate to admit it and make myself feel like she is bigger and superior to me, but I thought I might as well tell her what I was actually thinking.
“Well, this sucks…” Aimi huffed. She’s right. It did suck… bad. But I was grateful that we even were allowed to come down here, even if our mission was confusing.
My eyes squinted as a blurry image was in the distance. As we started to come closer upon it, it seemed to be a person. I want to sigh in relief that we wouldn’t have to look for ages to find civilization, but I refrain myself.
“Oh… look. There’s someone.” Aimi says what I was thinking. I nod and grunt a little, acknowledging her comment. We close in on the short figure seeing that it was something I was not expecting.
An elderly women is standing hunched over with a broom in her hands, sweeping away the dust from her front porch. She was in her late 80’s to 90’s, had squinted eyes and bags and wrinkles showing her wise age. Her face had a kind and sweet mannerism to it, as a light blush was on her cheeks and a toothy smile was on her lips as she saw us approaching. Her limbs were frail as they struggled to put down the broom.
“What are you young folks doing around here?” she greeted with a throaty, but calm voice. Her long tresses of aged silver were tied in a bun as a few strands escaped the hold and flew in her face. Her dress was casual, flowing to her knees and being long sleeved. It was colored with flowers of red and blue, a pretty dress for such a person who would live in a shed. “Are you here for the firework show?” She asked. Her feet taking a few steps to our position.
“What fir….” Aimi began, but I interrupted her. I tapped her shoulder lightly to show that I should take care of the talking. My face nodded softly.
“Un…” I respond with a bright and welcoming smile on my face.
“Well, your on the right path. Just keep on going down on yonder and you’ll wind up on the grounds.” She pointed to the path that we were already on.
“Thank you, how long down is it?” I ask.
“Well, if you start now you can get there on foot by sundown…” she explained. I hummed a small groan of disappointment. But, one even louder hid mine. Aimi huffed out a large and exhausted breath.
“UHGGG! That is going to take too long!” She complained in an annoying and squeaky voice. “I’m thirsty and tired… can’t we just… like… take a break or something?” She suggested. I frowned at her.
“We just started walking.” I narrow my eyes. I knew she was not the type for patients, but I never knew it was this bad.
“Hey Granny, you got any water in that house of yours?” She asked the elderly women. I furrow my frown even more at her rudeness.
“AIMI!” I scold as I nudge her shoulder harshly. “What are you thinking?” I growl.
“No, it’s fine by me. If you would like I could make some cookies and juice?” The old lady offered. I felt sweat drop from the back of my neck, ‘How can anyone be so nice and pleasant?’ I question in my mind.
“No, it’s fine thank you…” I reassure her.
“NO! Come on Eri, let’s go!” And before I could protest any longer the small female dashed through the screen door into the shed.
“AIMI!” I call out to her, my voice filled with anger and worry that she might break something in the house. I was sure we were being a huge burden to the female.
“Don’t worry about her,” The old lady clasps her hands together. “I would love to have some company.” She starts her way onto the white chipped painted steps. The sound of the wood creaking every move she made, caused me to realize just how old this house must have been.
“Please come in,” She welcomed.
“Ehh….” I felt sweat bead down my neck at the sudden intrusion. “Thank you… we don’t mean to ruin your afternoon,” I start the journey up the steps.
“No, it’s fine really. The name is Charlotte Fournier…” she introduces herself. Her wrinkled smile brightening my heart.
“Un… yes… I am Eri Itu. It’s a pleasure,” I nod my head. “And That was Aimi… she’s not very polite so I wouldn’t expect much from her.” I scratch the back of my neck.
“Oh, don’t worry. It’s just me and my Granddaughter here, so we enjoy all the company we can get.” She opens the screen door to the rustic house. It seems to have only one or maybe 2 bedrooms in the back.
Dark auburn wood tiles the ground with an old and museum like feeling. The walls are a tan from all the withering it has been through, and flower border wallpaper lines it. Everything in her is made out of either lace or soft fabric. The 2 seater couch is currently occupied by Aimi, a shined coffee table of dark and glossed wood sits in front of that. A bookshelf lines the north wall having all kinds of stories that I knew were old classics. Family photos lined one of the shelves, but I didn’t have the time to look at them. Instead I moved over to the couch and sat down by Aimi, hoping that I would not break any of the delicate items in the room.
“You two wait there while I go prepare tea and cookies,” the lady walked behind a wall and was gone. There was a silence that followed with the absence of the host.
“Tick, Tick, Tick,” sounded the grandfather clock.
“Aimi!” I whisper angrily at her, hoping that I wouldn’t allow the woman to overhear. “What the heck is your problem, we need to get on our way. Not have tea and cookies.” I grind my teeth. “Why did you invite yourself in?” I notice something in the black eyes of Aimi. They aren’t themselves, they are serious, with a way of making me back away just by her attitude. They stare out onto one of the walls, seeming to be mesmerized by the painting of fruit.
“Because,” she finally whispers back. “That lady…” she hesitates.
“What about her?” I ask. I notice that Aimi is twiddling with her fingers, cooing every word out with careful ease… so unlike herself.
“She’s… going to die…” I hear the panic in her voice.

Kattie1999 said...
on Oct. 14 2012 at 10:10 pm
Kattie1999, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"Do it or ill punch you" lol

Thank you very much! :D

on Aug. 9 2012 at 1:31 pm
FromTheHeart14 PLATINUM, Roswell, Georgia

"Everything happens for a reason."

That's an AMAZING book. You had me hooked all the way through it. 

on Dec. 14 2011 at 11:31 pm

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHh!

I need more! Please!