Her Prince | Teen Ink

Her Prince

By headoverheels44 SILVER, Dickerson, Maryland
headoverheels44 SILVER, Dickerson, Maryland

I leaned on my elbows that were keeping my hands from dropping my head. My elbows were resting on the white marble ledge that made up the edge of my white marble balcony. The balcony was outside of my two large glass doors that went to my room, which was larger than most people’s rooms. Inside my room there was a king bed, a desk, a nightstand, a dresser, a door to my bathroom, chairs, a table, a large red rug in the middle, and another door. The other door led to one of the many halls in my home. This particular hall was very short since it only had my room in it. At the other end of the hall was the grand staircase. From the grand staircase there were two other halls. One led to my parent’s room and the best guest room. The other hall led to my sister’s old room. But the grand staircase itself led to the main level of the house. Straight in front of the staircase were the two large, old wooden doors that made the front door of my house. To the right of the staircase was a large hall that led to the maid’s quarters, the kitchen, and the large dinning room. To the left of the staircase was a hallway equal in size. Down it there was the dog’s room, the washroom, and the door to the backyard, library, and the grand living room. Behind the grand staircase was a door that led to the basement and the biggest room in the house, the ballroom that took up a forth of the house. But down the stairs that led to the basement there was the winery and the workshop.
I took a deep, soothing breath and filled my lungs with the new summer air that had just filled the air near me a few hours ago. It was early on the first day of summer, about 5:30. My house was silent like everything else in the area. I was the only being fully awake that early, but I didn’t mind. This was the only time I had to myself for today, since my family was hosting the Summer Solicits Ball. It was the largest ball of the year other than the Christmas Ball. Usually I wouldn’t have to wake up till 7, but today I was going to have to get up by six. The whole idea of the ball bothered me; the only reason I really wanted to go was Christopher was going to be coming. Christopher had been my mentor when I was very young. He had lived with my family, even though he was a commoner, because I liked him so much. He filled the void that had been made in my heart when my sister died when I was 8. She was 15 when she died and Christopher was the same age as her. He was my best friend and I didn’t get to see him much after he got married two years ago, so I always looked forward to Balls because of that.
The sun went over the peak of the mountain range in the east. The sun warmed my face that was still slightly numb from the remaining spring air. I stood up and went to the glass doors. I opened them and quietly slip into my room. I go to my bed and took the soft, expensive wool blanket off the end of it, and then I grabbed my book off my nightstand. I went back outside and closed my glass doors behind me. Then I put the middle of the extremely large blanket on the cold marble that made up the bottom of my balcony. I set the book on the side of it and then sat in the middle of the blanket. I pulled both sides of the blanket around me and snuggled the blanket as I leaned my head against the side of the balcony and picked up my book. I started reading from the spot I had stopped at last night.
Part three: The Rules of a Princess
The rules of a princess include many, but the most important is Always Think Everything Through. Nothing can be simpler than that. This rule means to think before you act. Don’t do something you will regret or that will end miserably for you or your country.
Other than that, there are 10 key rules.
1.
Be kind to all
2.
Make the most of your ruling
3.
Put your country before yourself
4.
Do what is right for all
5.
Make no unnecessary enemies
6.
Keep peace
7.
Pass fair judgment
8.
Don’t run away from any problem
9.
Keep trade successful
10.
Be courteous
Being a princess is certainly not easy, but these rules can help you. They will come in handy during your rule. Make sure you never deny these rules or it will end poorly. These rules will…
My reading was halted by a knock on my glass doors. Miss Kelly was standing there and smiling at me. I waved her outside and she opened the door. “Miss, how long have you been up?” She asked in her kind voice.
“Not long.” I said.
“I’m going into town soon for groceries and I wanted to know if you’d like to come with me.”
“Won’t I need to stay to help to get ready?”
“I’m sure they can let you go for a while.”
“Alright.” I said as I stood and she took the blanket from me. We went into my room and she set the blanket on the bed as I set the book there. We went down to my parent’s room and Miss Kelly knocked on the door. My mother answered in a silk night gowned of expense.
“Yes?” Mother asked.
“I’m going into town to get food for tonight. Is it alright if Miss goes with me?” Miss Kelly asked.
“I don’t see any reason not.” Mother replied.
“Alright. We will be back soon.” Miss Kelly said. I followed Miss Kelly down the hall. We went down the grand staircase and to the maid’s quarters. I followed Miss Kelly into the room large and inside there were 15 beds. Then there was a line of outfits at the other end of the room. Many ladies were talking and laughing until they saw me.
“Good morning Miss.” They all said with smiles. I nodded and then followed Miss Kelly to the back of the room. She took out two commoner dresses that were nice. She took the blue one and handed me the red one. Then I followed her to her bed.
“For your safety you need to dress like a commoner.” She told me.
“Really?” I asked like a kid.
“Yes, is it okay?”
“I’ve always wanted to be a commoner so I can’t wait.” I said with a smile.
“Miss, you sometimes act like such a child.” Rosa said as she sat on the bed next to Miss Kelly’s.
“Be quiet, Rosa.” I said and then I stuck my tongue out at her. She lay back on the bed and laughed.
“Rosa! Respect Miss!” Miss Dana yelled to Rosa.
“It’s alright. It was just a joke.” I said and Miss Dana frowned.
“But you are the Princess! She needs to treat you like such!” Miss Dana yelled and I frowned.
“Then what do you call what you are doing right now, Miss Dana?” I asked, “Raising your voice to me is worse than what Rosa did.” Miss Dana left the room in anger and Rosa busted out laughing just like me.
“Thanks for standing up for me.” Rosa said when she stopped laughing.
“Hey, we were friends before I became the princess and you became a maid. I needed to.” I said and Rosa smiled. Then she left with another maid to go start breakfast. Miss Kelly was already in her commoner’s clothes, so I changed into mine. Then I went over to a mirror and looked at myself. I looked like a true commoner. The red summer dress made my body look like an hourglass and the shortness of the dress made the bottoms of my legs feel cool. Miss Kelly went behind me and pulled my hair into a ponytail with a red ribbon. Then she tied the ribbon into a bow.
“Beautiful.” Miss Kelly said.
“Thanks.” I said with a smile. Then Miss Kelly grabbed a basket and a bag from her bed. She held the basket with one hand and held my hand in her other. We left the house, but then Miss Kelly stopped a distance away.
“The castle looks beautiful from here.” She said and I looked at my home.
“It truly does.” I said. Then we walked down the hill in front of my house and started down a dirt path that was at the edge of my family’s property. We walked for a while until I saw a row of houses in the distance. “Town.” I whispered and Miss Kelly nodded. When we finally got to the group of houses we walked in between two. When we got past them I saw the real town. It was wild. There were many houses surrounding the dirt roads. There were also many carts in front of the houses. A carriage went quickly past us and we stopped.

Once it was gone Miss Kelly walked over to a cart and I quickly followed.
“Hello.” The lady said to Miss Kelly.
“Good morning. We are here to get food for the King.” Miss Kelly said as she handed the lady a piece of paper.
The lady read the paper and smiled. “What time will you come to get your stuff?” She asked.
“In an hour.” Miss Kelly said.
“It will be ready then. Have a good day.” The lady said, bowed, and then walked away.
“Are we not going to get the food?” I asked.
“That lady will for us. In the meantime we can look in the shops.” Miss Kelly said.
“Where do usually go?” I asked.
“To my brother’s Pub.” She said.
“We can go there.” I suggested.
“Alright.” She replied and then I followed her down the street a ways. Then she crossed the street again and stopped at a door of a business. LUCAS was the name of the place. Miss Kelly opened the door of the place and we walked in. There were many tables with seats around them. Most were filled, but some at the bar weren’t. Kelly sat at the bar and I sat next to her. A young man walked over to us and smiled broadly to Miss Kelly.
“I have not seen you for a while, Kelly.” The man said.
“I know. The castle hasn’t needed food for a long time.” She replied.
“Did you get food for the ball?” The man asked.
“Yes. Are you coming?”
“I am.” He said with a smile.
“I’m glad to hear it.” Miss Kelly said with a smile. Then the man looked at me.
“Who is the young lady?” The man asked.
“She is a new Maid for the castle.” Miss Kelly lied.
“Nice to meet you. I’m Lucas.” The man said.
“Nice to meet you too. I’m Dahlia.” I said.
“You have to name of her highness.” Lucas commented.
I nodded and smiled.
“It is a beautiful name.” Lucas commented.
“It certainly is.” Miss Kelly said with a smile.
Some men in the place cheered loudly. “Let’s go to the back. It will be quieter.” Lucas said. Miss Kelly and I followed him through a door in the back and as he shut the door behind us all the loud noises were gone. We stood in the kitchen of a house like normal people. Lucas asked us to sit at the table in the small kitchen. I sat next to Miss Kelly and she sat across from Lucas.
“So how have you been?” Lucas asked with a smile to Miss Kelly.
“Good, good. Very busy.” She replied.
“Of course. The castle is always busy.” Lucas said and Miss Kelly nodded. Then I heard a noise against the window in the kitchen of the house. I saw the rain. It was the first rain of summer.
“Miss Kelly.” I said as I pointed outside.
She looked at the rain. “We can go back to the castle when the rain has stopped.”
“But I need to help set up for tonight.” I argued.
“Don’t worry. It will end soon enough.” Miss Kelly said.
Then a beautiful woman and two boys walked into the kitchen. They stopped when they saw Miss Kelly and me “Aunt Kelly!” The small boy yelled as the boy who looked about my age smiled. The little boy ran over to Miss Kelly and they hugged each other.
“It’s good to see you Joseph.” She said as the boy squeezed her. “You too Nicholas.” She added to the other boy.
“Good afternoon, Kelly.” The woman said with a smile as she walked over and stood next to Joseph.
“Good afternoon.” Miss Kelly replied as she let go of the boy, who ran back to the woman.
“Who is this?” The lady asked Kelly.
“This is Dahlia. She is a maid at the castle also.” Miss Kelly replied.
“It’s good to meet you.” The woman said and I nodded.
“These are my nephews, Joseph and Nicholas.” Miss Kelly explained to me.
The little boy ran over to me and smiled. “You’re pretty.” He said and I giggled.
“Why thank you, Joseph.” I said happily. Then I looked up at the other boy. “It’s nice to meet you too, Nicholas.” He nodded and then looked away. I felt uncomfortable about him looking away.
“Don’t worry, Miss. He is just very quiet.” Miss Kelly whispered to me.
The little boy looked out the window and squealed like a pig. “Mommy! Can I go play in the rain?”
“Sure dear.” She replied.
“Come with me!” The little boy said to me and I looked at Miss Kelly.
“Sorry Joseph, but she can’t. She shouldn’t get her clothes wet.” Miss Kelly said.
“It won’t hurt me, Miss Kelly.” I argued.
“Miss, please. Just let it go.” Miss Kelly said. I sighed and then nodded. Joseph ran outside and then Nicholas sat at the same time as his mother.
“Aunt Kelly how is it at the castle?” Nicholas asked.
“Good. Wouldn’t you say so Miss?” Miss Kelly asked.
“Very hectic all the time.” I replied.
“That is certainly true. Everything has gotten extremely hectic.” Miss Kelly said and I slightly flinched.
“I truly feel bad for our princess. She is going to be assigned whom to love. She should be allowed to choose like everyone else.” Lucas said.
“But it is the duty of a princess to marry.” Miss Kelly said and I felt weird.
“I agree with father.” Nicholas said.
“I agree also.” The woman said.
“What do you think, Dahlia?” Lucas asked me.
“Truly I don’t know.” I replied. “The princess needs to do what is right for the country, but if she is sad then it will hurt the country.”
“That is true.” Lucas said and I looked outside. The rain had stopped.
“Miss Kelly, the rain has stopped.” I pointed out.
“Oh. It has.” Miss Kelly said sadly.
“I think I will go to the castle.” I said as I stood, she did also. “Miss Kelly. Please stay. You should be with your family for a while longer.”
“But Miss, you can’t go back by yourself.” She said.
“I’ll be fine.” I said.
“But this is your first time in the city! What if you get lost?” Miss Kelly argued.
“If I get lost I’ll go to Christopher’s home. He will get me back.”
“Christopher.” Miss Kelly said sadly.
“You should be with your family. It would be bad for me to take you away.” I said. I walked over to Miss Kelly and put her right hand in between mine. I curtsied like most did. Then I walked to the door of the house. I started to go back to the Pub when the door of the place swung open with great force. A handsome man stomped in and Miss Kelly ran to my side with her family.
The man looked around the room and then his eyes stopped on me. He stopped quickly towards me and Miss Kelly wrapped her arms around me. “Miss. Stay close to me.” She said.
“Dahlia!” The man yelled and he ran towards me. Miss Kelly made sure he didn’t get close to me.
“What is your business with her?” Miss Kelly asked the man.
“I am Duke Orlando! Can’t I talk to my…” He started to say but I quickly put my hand over his mouth.
“Shhhhh!” I whispered. “Lucas is it okay if my friend comes in with us. I don’t want to cause a scene in front of your whole bar.” I said.
“Yes. Come in.” He said. All of us went inside the kitchen and Lucas shut the door. Miss Kelly, Lucas’s wife, Lucas and Nicholas sat at the kitchen table. I looked from Orlando to Miss Kelly and back again. Miss Kelly looked very ashamed because her brother would find out she had lied about me.
Orlando held my hands in his.
“Sir Orlando, what are you doing here?” Lucas asked.
“I am here for the ball tonight and came to see Dahlia.” Orlando said with a smile towards me.
“But why would you want to see a maid, Sir Orlando?” Nicholas asked.
“Maid? Who?” Orlando asked with a slight laugh.
“Miss Dahlia.” Nicholas said and Orlando nearly fell on the floor laughing. When he finally got a hold of himself he looked at my cloths.
“Oh! So that is why you’re dressed as a commoner! Very smart!” Orlando said.
“What are you talking about? Isn’t Miss Dahlia a maid?” Nicholas asked.
“Of course not! She is the most powerful person in this country! Not some measly maid!” Orlando laughed.
Nicholas stared at me with wide eyes. He didn’t speak.
“Why are you even here, Dahlia? Shouldn’t you be with the queen and king?” Orlando asked.
“I came out into town to see my subjects without drawing attention. But you messed it up!” I hollered.
“Sorry! I didn’t know!” He exclaimed.
“You really need to think before you talk, cousin!” I yelled.
“Wait! So you’re PRINCESS Dahlia?” Lucas asked.
“Yes, sir.” I said with a sigh.
Lucas started to stand to bow to me. “Don’t. Please. No bowing is needed. You are Miss Kelly’s family. In my eyes you’re as royal as me.”
“What do you mean?” Lucas asked.
“Miss Kelly is like a sister to me.” I said with a smile.
“Oh! So you’re the Miss Kelly, Dahlia keeps telling me about when we meet up over the years.” Orlando said.
“Really?” Miss Kelly said as she blushed.
“Don’t be nervous because of it! I just really like you.” I said with a smile.
“Cousin has always been close to her workers.” Orlando said as he shook his head. “We aren’t supposed to mingle with any non-royals, but since cousin is the most powerful person now no one will tell her she can’t.”
“But Miss always talks to us.” Miss Kelly said.
“I really think that it is dumb to not be friends with someone just because they are lower rank than me. If I went by those rules I wouldn’t have a single friend.” I laughed and then looked at Nicholas. He was staring at me angrily.
Then the door of the home swung open and Joseph ran in. He eyes were all teary and his face was covered in snot. He had obviously been crying. “Mommy!” Joseph whined as he ran to Lucas’s wife. He cried into the woman’s shoulder.
“What is it dear?” She asked him.
“There’s a scary man outside!” He yelled.
“You mean me?” Orlando asked.
“No! A really scary guy! He’s outside.” Joseph said. Orlando started towards the door and I started to follow.
“Stay here until I know who it is.” Orlando said and I nodded. As he ran to the door I walked over to Miss Kelly.
“Any ideas?” She asked.
“Only one and I hope I’m wrong.” I answered as I squeezed my right hand with my left. I heard Orlando’s voice and someone else’s then Orlando walked in with a frown on his face. “Who is it?” I asked.
“Your Prince. He’s outside looking for you.” Orlando said.
“You mean…” I started to say when a tall man walked into the open door of the house.

He was in a military uniform and seemed to not be able to smile.
“There you are, darling.” The man said with no emotion other than that in his voice.
Orlando frowned again at the man and then he grabbed my hand. He squeezed it, telling me secretly not to speak.
“What are you doing away from the castle?” The man asked rudely, like I had no right.
“She was with me. Do you have a problem with that?” Orlando asked angrily.
“How dare you talk to me like that!” The man yelled as he quickly walked towards my cousin with his fist in the air. I quickly went in front of Orlando.
“If you touch a single hair on my beloved cousin’s head or any of my people I will cancel our engagement.” I warned and he put down his hand.
“Engagement? Miss, what are you talking about?” Miss Kelly asked as she stood.
“I’m engaged to this man.” I said with a frown. “He is Prince Erick.” Everyone except cousin and me bowed. He frowned at them like they had no right to breath the same air as him and my anger burst. I went up to Erick and frowned. “Just because I am forced to marry you, DOES NOT mean you can act so rudely to my people!” I yelled.
“What!” He exclaimed back.
“To me everyone in the world is better than you! You should be dirt poor!” I yelled.
“Excuse me!”
“In my eyes those who are dirt poor are more royal than you! You don’t deserve your position and if you don’t stop acting so rudely I will cancel our engagement! As the highest royal I can decide with whom I will be married.” I argued.
“Then why in god’s name are you marrying this man? You hate him!” Orlando exclaimed.
I frowned at Erick and then at Orlando. I sighed and brushed my hair behind my shoulder. “It is best for the country if I get married. My father is going to die soon, as everyone knows, and I am just securing this countries future. And my people come before my happiness. It is my duty to marry Erick if I like it or not.” I explained and no one said a word, so I walked to the doorway of the kitchen. I looked back at everyone. “Come Prince Erick. We must go.” I said and then looked at Orlando. “Cousin, could you please help Miss Kelly? I was going to, but I have other business.” He nodded and I left the house. Erick soon followed and ran after me.
“You really…” He started to argue again. I stopped in mid-step and looked at him.
“Don’t even start Sir Erick.” I threatened and he shut up. I wrapped my arm around his and then held his hand. We looked like a regular lovesick couple and that’s what I wanted. We walked through town and no one thought of us any different from others. We got to the castle in no time and went in.
“Please set that over there.” Mother said to a maid who bowed and left. I walked up to her with Erick and her eyes immediately went to our joined hands. I quickly let go of him and smiled at my mother.
“Where is father?” I asked.
“The library.” She replied.
“Is he doing alright today?”
“Yes. He is having a good day.” She replied. “And how are you Sir Erick?”
“Very good madam.” He answered with no emotion.
“Good. How was town dear?” Mother asked.
“Fine.” I said, bluntly. “We’re going to go up to my room.” I said as I took Erick’s hand again.
“Alright.” Mother replied. Then I led Erick up to my room. Erick walked over to my bed and pulled me with him. When we got there he insisted I sit next to him. I only did because he was my fiancé. He stared at me for a moment and then at our joined hands.
“Do you really hate us being together that much?” He asked with a sad expression. He only used expression when we were alone.
“What do you mean?” I asked.
“I’m glad we’re getting married, but you sounded like you hated it.” He explained.
“I don’t hate it, but the way you act…” I started to say, but stopped.
“The way I act?” He asked.
“When you’re around other’s you act like a different man then when we are alone. Before you acted like General Erick, whom had no emotions, but once we were alone you turned into the man I like again.”
“That’s because I love you. That is why I proposed to you. I don’t want to be near anyone else.” He said and then slightly squeezed my hand. “And I didn’t mean what I said before.”
“I don’t understand your feelings.” I admitted.
“If I try to work on my social skills will you consider loving me?” He asked. “I know you loved my twin brother, but he’s gone. He died in that attack last year. All that is left is you and I.”
“I know. I know Kei’s gone and that we are left. But my heart won’t get over him, no matter how hard I try to love you.” I admitted.
Erick pulled me into him. He lifted my legs and pulled them over his, so that I was sitting with my left side lying against him. It was the way Kei used to hold me when I was hurt or sad and the way my father held me as a child. I laid my head on his chest and listened to the heartbeat.
“You’re the only one for me.” He whispered to me in a soothing voice.
“And you are the only one for me.” I whispered back as I picked my head up. Erick set his lips to mine and kissed me deeply. It was the first time I had ever kissed anyone, since you weren’t supposed to kiss until you were married. But here I didn’t care because when I opened my eyes I saw Kei’s eyes staring back at me. Erick slowly lay on top of me on the bed. Then he pulled his fingers through my hair. After a few seconds he finally stopped kissing me. He barely moved away from me and we were both breathing heavily. His hand was still in my hair and his other was intertwined with mine.
“In a day, you will become my wife.” He whispered. “And I will love you with all my heart.”
The whole time he talked I imagined he was Kei. Finally I snapped out of my fantasy and nodded.
There was a knock at the door. Erick quickly got off of me and then my mother came in.
“Dear, both of you should start getting ready. People will start coming soon.” She said and I looked outside. It was about an hour till sunset. My mother left and so did Erick and me. I went down to the maid’s quarters and knocked on the door. The door opened and Rose stood there.
“Are you here to get ready?” She asked and I nodded. She let me in and all the maids brought stuff to me. I sat down on a bed and someone started doing my makeup. Once that was done I was undressed and put into what I called a lung squeezer. Next my hair was done as I sat in the cold room with barely anything on. Once my hair was fully curled into blond rings my mother came in.
“Hurry up! We don’t have much time!” She complained and then left. I was slid into a long, light pink ball gowned and then I was finally allowed to look in the mirror. I looked ravishing. My hair was perfect, my face was perfect, and my cloths were perfect. I did a slight twirl and my feet were put into a beautiful pair of shoes. Then I was pushed out of the door and into the crazy area, as I called it at this point. Right before the balls happened at my home there was always chaos. Then Miss Kelly ran in the door and into the maid’s quarters. Orlando slowly walked in after Miss Kelly and looked at me.
“Where’s your prince?” Orlando asked with a frown.
I shrugged and looked at the ground.
“What’s wrong?” He asked.
“He’s really going to be my husband.” I said with a sigh.
Orlando hugged me and I laid my head on his chest.
“I know you wanted to marry Kei.” Orlando whispered.
“I don’t really care if I was to marry Kei; I just want to see him at least once before I marry his brother.” I said as I held back tears.
“I know.” Orlando said and then I felt Orlando’s head rise. I let go of him and looked where he was looking. It was Erick. He was smiling at me.
“You look beautiful.” Erick said to me.
“You look very good yourself.” I said kindly.
“Prince Erick!” My mother called from the other side of the room. Erick left and Orlando held my hand. Then Orlando led me outside the back of the house and into the garden. We sat on a cold stone bench and I laid my head on Orlando’s arm.
“Erick loves me.” I whispered and Orlando slightly cringed. “He loves me, but I don’t love him back. I’m a horrible person.”
“Just because you don’t love him doesn’t mean you’re a horrible person. It just means you’re not made for each other.”
“But the one I love is dead.”
“Are you sure of that?”
“No. But if he was alive wouldn’t he come back for me?”
“Maybe he couldn’t.”
“If he is alive I hope he is happy. Even if it isn’t with me.”
“You are a good person for thinking that.”
“I can’t marry Erick. It is bad for him because if I think enough I imagine him as Kei.”
“I know. But our whole world is counting on you.”
“I hate that, but it is what is put on me.”
“Who knows, maybe you will find someone for you someday. Not today, or tomorrow, but maybe someday you will find a new Kei.”
“I don’t think my heart will allow it.”
“It may not, but it won’t hurt to try to find a new person.”
“Yes.” I said with a sigh. Then I heard a horse snort and I stood at the same time as Orlando. “It has begun.” I informed him.
“Can you handle tonight?” He asked.
“With you and Christopher I can do anything. Even get over a deadly heart break.” I said as I squeezed his hand lightly. Orlando leaned down and kissed the top of my head.
“We will help you all we can.” He assured me.
“So will my people. Just seeing them will help me.”
He nodded and then we started towards the door when I saw Erick pass it from inside. I halted and so did Orlando. “What is it?”
“They just look so much alike that I always think I’m seeing Kei.”
“I’ll help you work on that.” Orlando promised me. “Now let’s go meet your guests.”
I nodded and then we went inside. A group of 5 people were walking in and so I quickly went to them.

I noticed a person I knew. “Miss Julie!” I exclaimed as I saw a beautiful 20-year-old girl’s brown hair move as she turned to me.
“Princess!” She exclaimed as she ran to me and hugged me tightly. When she let go she saw Orlando. “It’s good to see you again, Sir Orlando.” She said with a bright red face. She really liked my cousin and both of them were not married.
“It is good to see you also. How is your family?” He asked kindly.
“Very good. They will be coming later tonight.” She informed him.
“I’m glad.” I said kindly and then Miss Julie walked away with a smile. Next came up a little boy who was very short.
“Good evening, Princess!” He said cheerfully.
“And who might you be? I don’t believe I’ve ever met you before.” I asked in a kind manner.
“I am Gordon Wallace.” He said with a dimpled smile.
“Well it’s nice to meet you Prince Wallace!” I said as I kneeled to the ground and looked the boy straight in the face.
“Prince?” He asked.
“Of course! You are so handsome it would be a sin to not call you royal! Don’t you agree Orlando?” I asked.
“He is a handsome fellow.” Orlando agreed.
Gordon smiled with delight. Then a little toddler girl ran over towards Gordon. She was obviously a new walker since she looked like she was going to fall over any moment. But she made it over safely and grabbed onto his side. She giggled as she pulled on his sleeve.
“Prince Wallace, who is this beautiful girl?” I asked Gordon kindly.
“This is my sister Angelica.” He replied happily.
“Well hello princess Angelica. It is very nice to meet you.” I said with a slight laugh. Then a man that looked like Gordon and his wife walked over to us. I stood up and smiled at them.
“Good evening princess Dahlia. I see you have met our two children.” The man said as the lady picked up the toddler girl.
“Yes. Prince Gordon introduced Princess Angelica and himself to me.” I explained.
“Prince? Princess?” The man asked.
“My cousin believes that all innocent children should be called royal names.” Orlando explained.
I nodded and the man laughed as his wife did also.
“Well they seem to enjoy being called those names. Thank you for being so kind to our children.” The wife said with a beautiful voice. Then the 4 of them walked off and the doors of my house re-opened while sending a cold gust of air through the room. An angry looking man walked in and stared at me.
“Princess.” He said with a grunt towards Orlando. Then he walked off. Orlando let out a sigh of relief.
“I hate him.” Orlando said, stating the obvious.
“Of course. He is your step father.” I said with a smile of compassion to Orlando. He smiled back and I could feel his heart becoming less heavy.
A large mob of townspeople came in with others following and I shook many hands and saw many people. The clock finally struck the time of the party, which meant I would only have to stand here for a little longer. Finally the key person on the night walked in. Christopher. He had a child balancing on his side with a wife and another child strung tightly behind him. His eyes immediately went to Orlando and me with a smile to add. My heart felt like it was going to burst with happiness from seeing Christopher, but I knew I had to stay calm. He walked over towards us and I looked at his clothes. He was wearing a tuxedo that was highly in fashion, and so was his son that was walking with the wife. His baby girl on his hip was wearing a dark blue summer dress and his wife was wearing a perfect white summer dress. They finally reached us and Christopher handed his daughter to his wife. He turned to me and I kept myself from jumping at him.
“Good evening, your highness.” He said with a bow.
“I’m glad you could make it Christopher. How have you been?” I asked politely.
“Very well, and I assume the same for you?” He asked and I nodded. Then he turned to his wife and told her to go see her friends who were calling to her. She smiled as her and the children left. Christopher looked to his left and then to his right. He quickly walked over to me and embraced me kindly. “It’s good to see you, Dahlia. I have missed seeing you since Christmas.” He said kindly has he let go of me.
“I have missed you also.” I replied.
“It’s good to see you Orlando.” Christopher said and Orlando nodded as he looked at his fiancé walking past with a scowl. They hated each other.
“You should go to your family. I will meet with you later.” I said with a smile and Christopher left. A few people straggled in, but only one caught my eye. He was a boy about my age. Tall, handsome, and unknown by me. He was wearing a tuxedo like Orlando’s, which meant he was of some kind of royalty. He had dark brown hair and brilliant blue eyes. When his eyes diverted our way the guy seemed to stare at me like I was the only thing there, like I was everything and it made me nervous.
“What is it?” Orlando asked as I realized I had grabbed his hand and squeezed it tightly. I blushed as I let go.
“Sorry, it’s just that guy over there. I’ve never seen him before and he is looking at me oddly.” I explained and Orlando followed my gaze to the unknown man.
“He does keep looking our way and I hope he’s looking at you or otherwise I really would like to leave.” Orlando said and I laughed, loudly. People around us turned to look but when they noticed me laughing they smiled. For some reason people smile a lot when I laugh, but I’m not sure why. The unknown guy walked over in our direction like everyone else and smiled. He bowed like most and then spoke. “Good evening princess.” He said and my heart nearly stopped. His voice sounded familiar, but I couldn’t pin point it.
“Good evening.” I replied with a curtsey.
“I recognize you, what power are you?” Orlando asked and the guy looked shocked to see that there was someone next to me.
“Third power.” He replied kindly as I felt a hand set on my shoulder. I turned to see Erick looking like a knight. He smiled at me and I smiled back as I put my hand over his on my shoulder.
“Hello, Erick.” I said kindly.
“I thought I had lost you for a moment. It is difficult to find someone in this room.” He said nicely.
“Well, you two are certainly making a big noise.” Orlando said and I looked at him with confusion. “The minute your Prince joined us everyone in the room looked over.” Orlando explained.
I smiled at Orlando but then I looked back at Erick. He was staring at the guy I did not know. “Who are you?” Erick asked as nicely as he could.
“Sir Kevin Ataru. Third rank heir.” The guy said with a proud smile.
“Ah, so you are who everyone is talking about. You are the newest Royal heir.” Erick said and I looked at him curiously. “Royal heirs are we heirs below you, Dahlia.”
“Oh. I’ve never heard that expression before.” I explained with a blush. “Well, Sir Ataru, would you like to accompany us to the dining room?” I asked.
“Of course, Princess.” He said kindly and the 4 of us walked to where the food was being handed out. The three boys stood in line as I stood to the side. It was not correct for me to get food. I was supposed to ask my fiancé, but I didn’t. As I watched them slowly move through the line I listened to other people’s conversations around me. Then I was stopped when I heard someone talking directly to me.
“Is that you, Dahlia?” A weak and shaking voice asked. I turned to see my great aunt standing there with the support of a cane. She smiled at me kindly as her shaking hand came from her side and extended towards me. I joined her gesture and went into her arm. She held me close to her. She smelled like her home and cinnamon.
“Hello Aunt Scarlet. You look beautiful tonight.” I said kindly and she shook slightly as she tried to hold me tighter. Then she let go of me and looked at my whole.
“But, no one could match your beauty dear. It is almost inhuman.” She grinned and I smiled.
“Have I told you how much I’ve missed you?” I asked and she shook her head. “It is almost heartbreaking to live so far away from you.”
“I know dear.” She said as her shaking hand rested on my hand. I held it and her large ring shimmered at me.
“How is Uncle?” I asked as the ring reminded me.
“Very good, but not good enough to travel.” She explained.
“I’m glad to hear that.” I said kindly as a familiar hand set on my shoulder. I looked back to see Erick, broad and strong. “Hello.” I said kindly and my aunt looked curious. “Aunt Scarlet this is my fiancé Erick Hantaru.” I explained. “Erick, this is my great Aunt Scarlet.” They exchanged smiles as Orlando walked up.
“Orlando, dear.” My aunt said as she hugged him one handedly. Sir Ataru walked up and my aunt looked at him curiously. “And who might you be?” She asked.
“Sir Kevin Ataru, ma’am.” He replied kindly and she smiled.
“So you are the new child to the throne?”
“Yes.”
“Well you seem like a fine young man. I’m sure you will do well.”
He bowed, thanked her, and then she left with her son. I turned to the three guys and smiled. “Shall we eat in the garden?” I asked. “It is terribly crowded in here.”
They all agreed and Erick held my hand in his. We walked together to the garden as Orlando and Sir Ataru followed. We went to a round, four-person table and sat. Orlando was to my right, Erick to my left, and Sir Ataru across from me. Orlando leaned over to me as Erick started talking to Sir Ataru.
“Why are we bringing this guy along?” He whispered.
“He is the newest heir. It is my right and duty to take him under my wing and make him feel welcome.” I explained and Orlando smiled.
“You are definitely going to be a good queen.” He said and I blushed.

We talked for a long time. Then we decided to go inside and when we did Erick and I were sent to the top of the grand staircase to meet my parents. My father was at the top in his wheelchair and my mother was behind him. We walked up to them and smiled. My mother talked for my father as I grabbed Erick’s hand tightly.
“Thank you all for coming tonight.” She started and then waited for everyone to be quiet. “As you all know, we are here tonight for a special event. The marriage of my daughter; our beloved princess. Sir Erick and her will be having their wedding tomorrow afternoon at eight o’clock. We all hope you can make it.” She said and then she raised the whine glass in her hand and then my father raised his. Everyone around the room lifted their drinks also.
“To our princess and her husband.” My father said in his deep voice that was barely used. I loved that he was the one to say that.
“To our princess and her husband.” The crowd repeated happily. I looked at Orlando and Sir Ataru as everyone tilted their drinks in my honor. Orlando did not seem happy, but he did drink. The only thing that struck me oddly was that Sir Ataru did not drink. He just stared at me. Then he looked at Erick and his face changed to a scowl. It made me feel weird since I barely knew him. Erick started towards the stairs and I followed. We walked down hand in hand. When I reached the bottom Orlando and Sir Ataru found us. We went back outside and away from the crowd. On our way out I grabbed a bottle of red wine and glasses. We sat back at the same table in the same way as before. I uncorked the bottle and poured the drink into the glasses. I handed one to everyone.
“What’s the occasion, Dahlia? You usually never drink.” Orlando said and I smiled kindly at him.
“It was just Erick’s birth time and date when my father proclaimed our marriage.” I explained happily, even though I wanted to cry.
Orlando raised his glass and frowned at Erick. “To Erick and to the memories of Kei.” Orlando said as he looked at me.
“Amen.” Erick said with a grunt. I nodded as I raised my glass. We all drank and then I refilled my glass. I drank 5 glasses after the toast by Orlando, and my feelings were overrun by alcohol. I started filling a sixth glass when Erick stopped me. “I think you’ve had enough to drink for tonight.” He persuaded.
Orlando caught on as I nodded. He stood and grabbed my arm from Erick’s grip. I stood up and Orlando embraced me tightly. “It’s okay. You don’t have to hold back. Let it out.” He whispered and my tears finally burst out of me. I bawled so long that all my makeup came off. When I stopped I lifted my head from Orlando and looked at him. “I’m sorry.” He whispered.
“I need to get over this. It’s been almost a year.” I said to myself.
“But you loved him.” Orlando whispered and I nodded.
“Exactly! I loved him! He’s gone now! I need to get over him and move on or I will let down my people!” I complained. “Erick and I are left. We need to make this happen. I’ve got to let this happen.”
Orlando hugged me again. “You give up too much for your people.”
“But they come before me. They are top priority.” I said and Orlando let go of me. I sat back down and so did he. I held Erick’s hand in mine.
“I’m sorry to be rude, but what are you talking about?” Sir Ataru asked.
“My twin brother that died last year in a fire. He was killed along with my other siblings and parents.” Erick explained. “He was Dahlia’s lover.”
“I’m sorry.” Sir Ataru said kindly.
I smiled with no feeling. “Erick you should go. Its time for the party to end. You too Orlando.” I said and they stood. Erick left with Orlando. “Sir Ataru, you should go too. Your family is probably waiting.”
“Okay.” He said nicely and then left. I waited outside until the house went quiet about an hour later. I saw all of the maids go to their sleeping quarters and then waited another hour. Then I went inside with a glass of wine in my hand. I went into the empty ballroom and stood in the middle of the wide space.
“Happy birthday, dear Kei.” I whispered. “I pray your next life will be filled with happiness…” I added and then drank the glass of wine. I set the glass down on the floor and picked up my high heel shoe on my right foot. “You shall represent my heart as my shoe represents the future. You will not matter anymore, because the people are first.” I whispered to the glass and then I let my foot hit the ground. The glass shattered and pieces of glass flew everywhere. I sat down on the ground in a fetal position and started crying again. Someone stepped on a shard of the glass and I quickly looked up to see Sir Ataru looking at me. He sat down next to me on the floor. “Sir Ataru, why haven’t you left?” I asked as I wiped tears off my face.
“I thought you might need company. It seems today is very emotional for you.” He said with a sad smile. I sighed and his hand touched my leg. I looked up to his nice smile. “You really loved Erick’s brother, didn’t you?”
“I loved him more than my people.” I said shamefully. “When he died he took my heart with him. I could never love anyone else.” I hit the ground with my fist and a shard of glass shattered into pieces. “But I must love Erick even if I don’t want to.” I ordered myself and Sir Ataru took my fist in his hands. I saw my blood falling from my hand and the pain finally hit me. Sir Ataru put a handkerchief around my hand and slightly squeezed it.
“Are you sure he died? Maybe he can’t come for you.”
I put my hand on his arm and smiled. “If he is I pray to god that he is happy. I don’t truly care if his happiness is or isn’t with me, it just matters if it’s there.”
“Maybe he will come for you someday.” He added kindly.
“No. He shouldn’t. My life is made up. I have to marry his brother tomorrow for my people.”
“But what if he comes tomorrow?”
A tear ran down my cheek. “It’s all I’ve ever dreamed of, but now that the day is here I don’t know what I would do. Erick loves me now.”
“It would be a hard decision.” He agreed.
“But if I ever saw him again I would be happy because then I could tell him news that I was going to share with him the day of the fire.”
“News?” I nodded. “Could you tell me?”
“You would have to keep it to yourself.”
“I promise I will.” He said kindly.
Another tear fell. “He needs to know about his son.” I said and Sir Ataru’s eyes grew. His hand let go of mine in shock.
“Wh-what?” He asked.
“I know it isn’t allowed but I had sex with Kei right before he died. I found out the week of his death that I was pregnant with his son. Next month I will bear his child and I wish he could just know about it.”
“I’m sorry.” He whispered.
“Well I need to go to my room and get some sleep. I will have to get up early tomorrow for the wedding.” I said and he nodded.
“Shall I walk you to your room?”
“Please.” I asked and we stood. He held my bloody hand in his as we went up to my room. I quietly opened the door and went in. He stood outside it. “Goodnight Sir Ataru.” I said and I kissed his cheek.
When I lifted away he pulled me closer and kissed me. His kiss was very familiar. “Goodnight, Princess Dahlia.” He said and quietly walked away. I closed the door and went to my dresser. As I changed into a light night gowned I could still feel Sir Ataru’s kiss burning on my lips. I went to sleep quietly and did not dream.

In the morning, when I woke up I went outside of my glass doors and stood on the balcony. The marble was cold beneath my feet and made me shiver. My head hurt and I guessed this is what is called an alcohol after buzz. I looked at my front yard and saw dew on the grass. The air was warmer than yesterday and it felt good with the sun slowly creeping up the mountains to the east. Then I realized that my life was ending today. My hope for Kei’s survival was a pure fantasy. The thought hit me hard and my knees gave out. I hit the floor of the balcony hard and hit my cut hand. It started bleeding again and I sighed. “Great.” I muttered as I stood back up and went back into my room. “Come on Dahlia there’s no time left to dream. Reality is moving and you have to go with it. You have to forget Kei. He’s gone and never coming back.” I told myself as I opened my bedroom door and went into the quiet hall. I went downstairs and to the maid’s quarters. I knocked on the door and the grumpy Miss Dana answered the door. Her frown turned to a forced smile when she saw me.
“Good morning Miss.”
“Good morning. Is Miss Kelly up yet?” I asked and she nodded. She moved out of my way and let me in. I saw Miss Kelly and all the other maids sitting on their bed and yawning. They all turned to me and I hid my hand behind me.
“Good morning Miss.” They all said kindly and I nodded. I walked over to Miss Kelly and she smiled.
“What can I do for you this morning, Miss?” She asked and I showed her my hand. She gasped and grabbed my hand. “What did you do to your hand!” She gasped.
“I slipped, that’s all.” I replied and she stared at me with wide eyes. She quickly brought me to the maid’s large bathroom and put my hand under a sink. She started the cold water and it stung my hand.
“Miss why do you reek of alcohol? How much did you have last night?” She asked and I blushed.
“Too much I guess. I’m sorry.”
“What did you really do to your hand? There’s a shard of glass in it!” She exclaimed as she tried to pull it out and when she did there was so much blood that it overflowed the small sink. Rose walked in and she screamed. All she saw was my blood pouring out of my hand and out of the sink. She passed out and hit the stone ground really hard.
“Rose!” I yelled and Miss Kelly looked at her. Miss Kelly looked from my hand, then to Rose, and back to me. She couldn’t choose whom to help. “Miss Kelly! Help her! I’ll be fine!” I yelled and she immediately let go of my hand. She picked Rose off the ground and lightly hit her face. Rose woke up and she saw my blood again.
“Miss Dahlia! What happened?” Rose asked in a panic.
I put a cloth on my hand and quickly went over to Rose. “Oh dear lord! Are you okay?”
She nodded and looked at my hand. “What did you do?”
“It’s okay. It’s just a cut.” I said and she frowned.
“Obviously not! I saw Miss Kelly pull that piece of glass out of there! And why do you smell like wine?” She complained.
“A lot happened at the ball yesterday, that all.” I said bluntly.
“Like what?”
“I’d really not like to talk about this. I barely remember most of it anyways.” I said as I put my hand on my hurting head. I went back to the sink and took the cloth off my hand. Blood poured out of it. “It won’t need stitches, so it will be fine.” I said and I went over to the cabinet that held scotch tape. I grabbed a new cloth and held it to my hand. I wrapped the tape around my hand so that my whole palm was covered in it, but my fingers were still moveable. I ripped the end of the tape with my teeth and then put it back in the cabinet. I closed the cabinet and then went back to Miss Kelly and Rose, who were now standing. “Thanks for the help Miss Kelly.” I said with a smile. “Now I think I should take a bath to get rid of this stench.” I said and Miss Kelly nodded.
“I will get that ready for you.” She said and then the two of us walked out. We went up to my bathroom and she got my bath ready as I cautiously took off my cloths.

After the bath I smelled nothing like alcohol. Miss Kelly brought me my wedding gowned and set it on my bed. She helped me get into a nice white dress that I was to wear until a little bit before the wedding and sandals.
“I have to go set up.” Miss Kelly said.
“Go ahead.” I said. She left and I went out to the balcony. Sunlight filled the area and so did noises. I looked down at the far away town to see no lights. Then I saw all of the people of the town in my front yard. I gasped and quickly ran to the door of my room. I ran out of the house and stood on the front porch. Orlando was standing with his stepfather a few feet away. Orlando saw me and quickly came over to me. He embraced me and I did the same.
“So it’s really going to happen?” He asked sadly.
“I guess.” I said with a sigh.
“I will be here for you the whole way.” He said and I smiled.
“Thank you, Orlando.” I said as I held his hand.
“Princess.” Someone said and I turned to see Lucas and his family.
“Hello Lucas.” I said with a smile.
He bowed to me and so did his wife. Nicholas walked up and was holding Joseph. “Good morning Nicholas. Hello Joseph.” I said kindly and Nicholas put down his brother. He bowed as Joseph ran towards me. I kneeled down and he hugged me.
“Good morning Princess Dahlia!” Joseph said with a giggle and I picked him up. I held him and swayed him from side to side. He giggled and then I stopped.
“How are you, Joseph?”
“Excited!” He exclaimed.
“You are?” I asked with a laugh.
“Yea! I get to go to my first wedding today!” He yelled with a laugh and I laughed too. He smiled at me.
“Well I’m glad to hear that Joseph. I hope it’s what you’re expecting.” I said. He smiled and then I put him down. He went over to his mother.
“Princess, do you know if Rei Ataru has shown up?” Nicholas asked me.
“How do you know Sir Ataru?” I asked curiously.
“He and I were friends before he was adopted.”
I smiled. “Truly, I did not even know that Sir Ataru was coming today.”
“What makes you think that?”
“He does not seem to truly like Erick, so I thought he may not come today.” I said and then looked at Orlando. “Did you know Sir Ataru was coming tonight?” I asked.
“No. He never said anything about it last night.” Orlando said and I got nervous. I put my arms around my stomach and squeezed as I looked at the ground. What happened last night? I thought. I wished I could remember what did happen. All I do remember was Sir Ataru seeing me smash my glass, telling him about my pregnancy, and the kiss. I don’t remember what happened in between that.
“Princess?” Nicholas asked and I looked back up at him. “Are you alright?” He asked and my hands came off of my stomach as I smiled.
“I’m perfectly fine.” I lied happily and then I looked over at the mob of people. Christopher waved to me and I waved back. Then I looked at Nicholas again. “Are you all staying for the wedding?” I asked.
“Yes.” Lucas answered.
“Well Miss Kelly is inside. If you want I can let you in so you can see her.” I said and Lucas smiled.
“Alright. Thank you princess.” Lucas said. I opened my front door and Lucas, his wife, and Joseph went in. But Nicholas didn’t move.
“Is it alright if I stay out here, father?” He asked.
“That’s fine.” Lucas said and then I shut the door. I looked at Orlando and smiled.
“Where is your Fiancé?” I asked.
“Hopefully no where near me.” Orlando muttered and I laughed.
Someone yelled and I looked into the crowd. “Nicholas!” Someone yelled, but I could not see whom. Then Nicholas waved and Sir Ataru came out of the crowd. My heart skipped a beat as I caught my breath. Sir Ataru walked up to us and stood next to Nicholas. He smiled at Orlando and then looked at me. I blushed.
“Good morning, Princess.” He said kindly and I smiled.
“What an unexpected surprise. I did not know you were coming today, Sir Ataru.” I said as I tried to stop blushing.
“I don’t think anyone did not come.” He said as he looked at the crowd.
“Orlando!” Orlando’s stepfather yelled and Orlando looked at him.
“One minute!” He hissed and then smiled at me. “You gonna be okay?”
I smiled. “Don’t worry. Christopher and you are here. That’s all I need. Now go to your stepfather. He needs you.” I said. Orlando held my hands in his and kissed my forehead. Then he left with his stepfather. I smiled at Nicholas and Sir Ataru.
“Are you ready for the ceremony?” Nicholas asked me.

“I’ve been ready for days.” I replied with a smile and Sir Ataru frowned.
“Nicholas, could you give me a few minutes alone with the Princess?” Sir Ataru asked and I was shocked.
“Uh…sure.” Nicholas said. “I’ll go find my family.” He went inside my house and once the door was shut Sir Ataru turned.
“Let’s go up to your room so we can talk in private.” He suggested and I felt weird about it, but did not protest. We went inside my house and walked up the grand staircase. We walked down to my room and Sir Ataru opened the door. I walked in and he followed. He shut to door behind him and then went over to my bed. This felt even weirder, but for some reason I could not deny him. “Sit.” He insisted as he patted the spot on the bed next to him. I went over and sat, but a few inches away from him.
“What do we need to talk about, Sir Ataru?” I asked with a nervous smile.
He scooted towards me and held my hand in his. His hand was really warm and it felt good against my skin. “Princess…” He started.
“Please, call me Dahlia.” I said kindly.
“Dahlia…” He said. “I can’t let you go on with this marriage to Erick.”
I looked at him with uncertainty. “Why not? He is my fiancé.”
“But you don’t love him.”
I frowned. “I already explained this to you last night.”
“I know and that is why I have to stop you.” He said. “You’re making a mistake.”
“And what might that be? I have thought this out to the utmost extent.”
“But don’t you love Kei? Isn’t he the father of your child?”
“Kei is dead, Sir Ataru.” I retorted. “He is gone.”
He shook his head. “That the thing.” He said. “Kei isn’t dead.”
“What? But Eric saw him die!” I yelled.
“And did Erick ever tell you how the fire started at his home?”
“No.”
“He started it, Dahlia. He lit a match and was planning to kill Kei because he knew Kei would win your heart. But then the flames got out of control and he burned his house and his family to death.”
“Even if that is true how would Kei not be dead? He was in that house!”
“No, Dahlia. He got out.” He said and I frowned as I stood.
“Sir Ataru, how do you know Kei is alive?”
“Because I am Kei!” He yelled as he stood and grabbed my wrists. I tried to pull away but it didn’t work.
“Let go of me!”
“Not until you know I’m still alive!” He yelled as he pushed me onto the bed with him on top of me.
“Sir Ataru! Have you gone crazy?” I yelled and he put his hand over my mouth.
“Please Dahlia, keep it down.” He whispered and I frowned, but did nod. He let go of my mouth and smiled. “I will prove to you anything you want.”
He was still holding my wrists tightly. “If you’re really Kei, why did you not come back for me until now?”
“I told you last night.” He started. “I couldn’t. Erick knew I was alive and he was searching for me.”
“But why would he do that? He knows I will never love him.”
“He believes if I am not here then he can make you love him. But I would not stop at anything to find you. So, I changed my looks so that Erick would not expect me.”
“If you’re really Kei, then tell me. What happened before we had sex?”
“You were sad because it was your sister’s birthday and I came to comfort you. We came in here and one thing led to another. In the end we did the unthinkable because we love each other.” He said and then kissed me deeply. When he lifted away he smiled. “It started when we were in this exact position and I told you I loved you and wanted to show you how much I did. You told me that’s what you wanted. I proposed to you and you said yes. After we were done having sex I gave you that rose that is on your nightstand right by your book.” He said and my eyes filled with tears.
“I can’t believe this.” I said and he looked shocked.
“Why not? Do you not want this to be true?” He asked.
“Of course I do! But this has been my dream for such a long time that it never seemed like it could ever be real.” I said as tears ran down my cheeks. Kei kissed my tears and I put my arms around him as he started kissing my neck.
“Dahlia, will you marry me now that everything is cleared up?” He asked as he kissed my neck.
“Yes.” I whispered and he looked up at me. “I believe you, Kei. And I want this.” I said as I put my hand on my stomach. “We want this.” I said and he smiled and stared kissing me. His hands started sliding up my dress like they had that night so long ago. There was a knock at the door that stopped us.
“Dahlia?” Erick asked through the door.
“Yes?”
“Miss Kelly said she saw you come up here with Sir Ataru. I just wanted to make sure everything’s okay.” He said.
“Get in the bathroom.” I whispered to Kei and he nodded. He quietly let go of me, went over to the bathroom and shut the door. I stood and fixed my dress as I went over to the door. I opened it to see Erick smiling down at me. He bent down and kissed me. Then he walked in and sat on my bed. He invited me over to him and I walked over, but did not sit down. I stood a few feet from him.
“What’s the matter?” He asked me.
“Sir Ataru left a while ago, but I have gotten some news that I did not enjoy hearing.” I said with a frown.
“What news?”
“I found out what really happened to your house.” I said and Erick’s face didn’t change. “You lit Kei’s room on fire and it got out of control. I also found out that Kei lived through the fire and that you were searching for him.”
Erick smiled almost in an evil way. “So you found out?”
“All I want to know is why? Why did you want to kill Kei?”
“You loved him and I was willing to do anything to get you.”
I fumed. “What about that stuff you told me? Like we’re the only ones left! And all that crap you told me?” I yelled and he stood. He grabbed my arms and pulled me towards him.
“So what? You’re easy to fool.” He retorted and I tried to pull away.
“Let go!” I yelled.
“No. You’re going to marry me and there’s nothing Kei can to do to stop me.” He laughed and the bathroom door flew open. Kei walked over to Erick with a frown.
“Let go of Dahlia.” Kei ordered.
“I’m sorry, Sir Ataru. But I can’t do that.” Erick said.
“Let her go. She is not going to marry you.” Kei ordered.
“Then who is she going to marry?”
“Me.” Kei said with a smile. “You still haven’t figured out who I am, have you?” He asked as he took off his wig to show his dazzling white hair that looked like Erick’s.
Erick gasped as he let go of me and ran at Kei. He pulled Kei off of the ground by the collar of his shirt. “How the hell did you get here!” He hissed.
“You’re easy to fool brother. And I would stop at nothing to get Dahlia back.” Kei said with a smile and then he slugged Erick, who fell to the ground. Kei quickly walked over to me and grabbed my hand. We ran out of my room and down the stairs to the front door. Erick reached the top of the stairs as Kei opened the door. We ran out and Kei locked it. The whole town turned to the loud noise we made and many gasped. Some bowed and others just froze at the sight of Kei, my proclaimed husband that was supposed to be dead. Orlando ran to us and so did Nicholas.
“Prince Kei!” Orlando yelled, “How…?”
“Erick tried to kill me in that fire last year, but failed. He has been searching for me so it took me a while to come to Dahlia.”
Orlando smiled in a way that he hadn’t smiled since the last time he saw Kei and me together. Nicholas came up to us, from the crowd, with the same smile.
“Thanks for helping my, Nicholas. I owe you.” Kei said as he put his arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him.
“I would do anything for you, Kei. You’re my best friend. Also I would do anything to make the princess happy.” Nicholas answered and I smiled. I went over to Nicholas and kissed his forehead. He blushed.
“I can not tell you how much this means to me, Nicholas.” I said kindly and he smiled as I turned to Orlando. “What should we do with Erick? He’s going crazy.” I said.
Orlando took a minute to think. “I will tell the guards and help them get him away from you and under control.” I hugged him tightly and he did the same.
“I love you Orlando.” I replied.
“I love you too, Dahlia.” He said and then I let go of him. Nicholas went with Orlando to go get Erick, so it was just Kei and I…in front of the whole town.

DEROSSETT BRONZE, Hampton, Virginia

“One day your life will flash before your eyes, make sure it’s worth watching.”

“Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today”

Great job:):)

on Oct. 6 2011 at 9:29 am
Mermaidmissy SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada
I really love your book it is really good. I hope you keep on writing more pages soon. Good Luck!! Oh yeah can you look at some of my poems and my book as well please. Thank You!! :)