My Dear, Mr. Bishop. | Teen Ink

My Dear, Mr. Bishop.

August 14, 2011
By FaithSnyder16 ELITE, Metamora, Ohio
More by this author
FaithSnyder16 ELITE, Metamora, Ohio
180 articles 8 photos 97 comments

Favorite Quote:
Write what you know, and dream of. - Jane Austen
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift
Just Keep Swimming! Just Keep Swimming! - Ellen DeGengeres as Dory


Author's note: This piece is slightly inspired by my other novel Wait for me, I used some of the same names for the characters, and they both involve unwanted marriage proposals. WARNING this piece is NOT FINISHED!

The author's comments:
This book orginally had NO chapters, it was meant to be another short story but I couldn't stop their story, so now it will be a novel! WARNING! This piece is NOT FINISHED! I'm only posting the first Chapter to get people's oppinions to see if I should continue posting :)

Chapter One

“Anne, reading that rubbish again?” My mother asked peering over my shoulder.

“It is not rubbish Mama. This author is very diverging. She is highly amusing.” I said smiling and marking my place in the novel.

“Anne, the author is published anonymous! You have no knowledge of the author being a man or female. Honestly, the way things are going now, I wouldn’t doubt it being female.” My mother said taking up her sewing.

“Mama! Are you implying that women are less suitable for writing then men! For men do not have nearly enough nurturing, motherly love as women for writing a novel. You would know this if reading her, mother. She has highly witty characters, Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett.” I said shocked by her mere acquisitions toward female writers. I hid the stains on my fingertips from the ink which I used at night writing my own novel.

“Anne, you must not fool yourself on writing nonsense, a woman’s place is in the home. She is to look after the children that she may have, and keep the house in order, not frolicking around writing about foolish romances.” She said laughing at the idea of a poor woman and a rich man falling in love.

“Ma ma, have you no romance in your body? Didn’t you long for a man with say four thousand a year to come and sweep you off your feet at my age?” I asked smiling at her, clutching the book tightly to my breast.

“Anne, it does not do to dwell on dreams. For that is all they are dreams. Chances are that a man with four thousand a year will be already married.” She said looking up from her sewing with a sarcastic smile.

“Mama.” I said smiling.

“I’m just referring to your silly novels you read. With all the men in those books it’s a wonder all the men in their county isn’t married.” She said waving her hand at the book.

“It’s a lovely book. Would you like to borrow it?” I asked smiling.

“I have better things to do around here than read. Who will run the house if I take up a book every time I have a spare minute? There’s always clothes to be washed, breeches to be mended, and bonnets to be baste until proper ones can be bought on the next trip into town.” My mother said going back to her sewing. I sighed.

“I’m beginning to think of never marrying, the work alone looks tiring.” I sighed. My mother gasped.

“Anne! You must never think so! Never marrying! But who is to take care of you after your father is gone, heaven knows when that will be.” My mother said missing a stitch.

“I was only joking mother.” I said smiling.

“It would do you well to go for a walk down the lane. Clear your mind of this foolishness.” She said. I nodded and stood smoothing my skirts out.

“Oh and Anne dear?” My mother asked.

“Yes ma’am?” I asked.

“Don’t go too far, Lady Bishop is to call later this evening.” She said. I sighed and walked out of the room. Passing the maid on the way out I began to wonder what it was like to be a maid. I happened to know that Bertha our cook was not married. Then again, that brought me back to the work, and work is something I do not wish to encounter more of.

The woods were abnormally calm this time of year. The leaves occasionally skittered upon the ground in all shades of browns and hues of red. I was hearing more of the crunch of leaves then of the stones beneath my slippers. I folded my hands in my front and looked up into the tree tops. I could see bits of wondrous blue sky between barren branches naked of their leaves. The sky was an endless canvas at which a few puffy clouds drifted dreamlessly in the atmosphere. I was so entranced by the beauty of the sky I hardly noticed the squirrel that had just darted out from under a fern circling me before deciding to dash back under it’s safe embrace. I stood still listening to the birds sing, and the wind blow through the trees rustling the leaves that still clung to the trees for life. Like the leaves, I clung to the woods for life. I had come here to escape the daily horrors of living in a house with six girls all of which were loud and uncommonly beautiful. My sisters, yes, elegant and formal, but on occasion threw fits at which my father had to step in and give them what they desired just to make them stop. It was like living amongst wolves. No, wolves was far better than my household, no doubt in my mind. I chuckled at my new simile and then began scolding myself for thinking such ways. Mother and Father always treated us well, fed us, clothed us, brought us up the way society would expect. Of course bring us up that way meant that all our creativity and opinions must be squashed and hidden. Society did not approve of a woman speaking her mind, and when she did, heaven forbid, she was then dubbed obnoxious. What was so terrible as to make a lady hold her tongue? Was it fear from men that were frightened of the idea that women might be more sensible then men? Or perhaps more intelligent? I didn’t walk much into the woods anymore seeing as all my sisters were off and married except I. I knew as I walked through the woods I so much adored was that when I married a man, if I chose to marry, he must accept that I will never hold my tongue. I will tell people what I think and how I choose. Of course, if there is such a man, I have not yet met him. The closest to whom I have gotten near my description is my father who has never told me to hold my tongue or to keep my snide comments to myself. My mother on the other hand happened to do so daily. Of course sarcasm is a lady’s best friend. My mother however, frowns upon the use of sarcasm. Of that means I’m always frowned upon. I continued walking, staring up counting the geese that flew in an arrow heading south for the winter. I ran into something hard and almost fell .The tree was abnormally soft, and reached out and caught me in it’s limbs before I fell to the ground. I gasped realizing I had not run into a small oak, but I had run into a man! A strange man, we had not yet been introduced! He bowed his head in greeting and I curtsied small.

“Excuse me miss, I wasn’t watching where my feet were taking me. The sky seems so endless today there was so much to look at.” He chuckled. I couldn’t believe he had just said that. It was as if he was stealing words from my heart and saying them out loud with his own mouth.

“It is a wonderful day.” I said quietly.

“Well, perhaps I should keep my head out of the clouds. Next time I might not run into someone as beautiful as you, it could be someone who does not appreciate being run into and then I would have some trouble.” He said tipping his hat. I felt my cheeks turn crimson.

“Thank you for your compliments but I think I do owe you an apology, for not only did you run into me, but I also ran into you. If I had been paying attention I would have simply stepped out of your way.” I said softly. I was rambling. I always rambled when I was nervous. He must think me a scandal! To talk to a stranger! Let alone a woman talking to a stranger! Heaven forbid my mother catch us.

“Oh no, it wasn’t a bother at all.” He chuckled.

“Edward! Edward! It’s just up ahead!” I heard someone yell from behind me. I turned to see another man. Oh no. This is what mother warned me about.

“Excuse me I must be going.” I said turning and walking back toward my house.

“Good bye!” The man called out as I walked away quickly.

“Oh please, please, keep me out of trouble!” I whispered to God. I walked quickly past the man who had yelled and he looked at me in shock. He jogged over to his partner. I turned the corner and began to run. I lifted my skirts and I ran as fast as I could cutting across the yard and leaping onto the porch. I was aware that, that was FAR from being lady like, but I was frightened that the men had followed me. I mean the one man seemed nice enough but a woman could never be too careful. I ran inside and leaned against the door. My mother rushed into the hallway.

“My god Anne! You look positively wild!” My mother said.

“There was a dog!” I said quickly.

“A dog! Goodness! Lydia,” My mother said stopping our maid, “Lydia, go get Mr. Hartfield, tell him to bring his gun! There’s a rabid dog!” My mother said.

“No! Lydia! Please, mama! The dog is gone now! He ran away when I got onto the steps! Please!” I said grabbing her arm.

“Anne! Have some sense! What if the Botterson’s boy is outside playing and that dog bites him! Oh heavens! Go send for Mr. Hartfield.” My mother said fretting about. Lydia rushed away to get my father from his study. I heard him rushing into the room.

“Anne! Which way did the poor beast go?” He asked.

“I didn’t see, I ran inside, Papa, I’m sorry.” I said. My father sighed and walked out of the door and looked outside inspecting the outdoors for any sign of my nonexistent dog. I felt ashamed for lying to them about it and having my mother throw such a fit.

“Well darling, while your father is making sure we’re safe go upstairs and freshen up. Lady Bishop called, and said she’s bringing her nephew from London. He’s studying there to become a doctor! He’ll inherit her entire fortune, and property once she passes. He’s surely worth more than ten thousand a year. She wants you two to get to know each other, he’s staying until next fall and she says it would be nice for him to know someone his own age.” My mother said smiling. I looked at her shocked. Was she arranging me a marriage?

“If I didn’t know you better I would believe this is a set up!” I said looking at her. She smiled.

“Well, would it be so bad for you to meet the boy?” She asked placing her fingertips together and giving me a hopeful glance. I sighed and rolled my eyes.

“Fine mama.” I whispered before walking up the stairs. She gloated in her accomplishment and watched me close as I walked up the stairs. I made it to my room where I changed into something more suitable and pinned my hair back into an elegant but plain manner. I stared at myself in the mirror. I was plain. My skin the color of snow and my lips a slight rose shade. My eyes were wide, and a brilliant blue. I smiled at myself slightly and adjusted the collar of my dress before stepping back. With one last look in the mirror I exited my room.

The author's comments:
I realize there are major grammar, factorial, and spelling issues, I'm doing editing as we speak, and let me know what you think! :D I hope the AWESOME people who read this before keeps on reading! <3

Chapter Two



As I descended the stairs I could already hear Lady Bishop in the drawing room. I stood outside the door for a moment to prepare myself for Lady Bishop’s high end attitude. No doubt her nephew would be just as insolent as her. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I opened the door and put on my entertaining guest smile.

“So sorry, I was just…” I stopped. Lady Bishop and my mother sat across from each other but there was no sight of her nephew.

“Oh Anne!” Lady Bishop said smiling. I acknowledged her bowing my head slightly. “I swear the girl gets more wild by the day. I suppose her beauty and manners makes up for it but I heard the baker say he seen you running today!” Lady said. I opened my mouth to defend myself but my mother had already began talking.

“Oh Lady Bishop! There was a dog! Rabid dog! I seen the poor thing myself, foam pouring from its jaws! My poor Anne was scarred from it’s fangs!” My mother said.


“Oh my! A dog you say?” Lady Bishop said placing a hand on her chest shocked. I nodded and tried to look “scarred” as my mother had put it. “Thank heavens you are alright! Heavens! I would have run too! Oh I’m so sorry for spreading such gossip, perhaps this teaches a lesson for spreading rumors, that maybe I do not know the whole story.” Lady Bishop chuckled. She smoothed out her expensive gown and tugged off her white gloves which she kept in her hands folded neatly.

“I sent Mr. Hartfield out to search for the beast but alas, he found nothing.” My mother said taking a sip of her tea. I sat down in the most comfortable chair and listened to the conversation between the two women.

“Oh! I do apologize for my nephew’s punctuality! Perhaps his carriage was late. I told him to get an early one! I received a letter from him just this morning telling me he was bringing a friend from school! Yes, he’s said to be very kind, and handsome too!” Lady Bishop chuckled. I closed my eyes, just like Bingley and Darcy! Well, I should hope Lady Bishop’s nephew’s manners were more kindly than Darcy’s!

“Anne!” My mother called to me. I snapped back to the drawing room.

“Yes ma’am.” I said looking at the two women. Lady Bishop had lifted her chin on me. I swallowed and gave a small smile.

“I’m sorry. I was just thinking to myself.” I said chuckling.

“Lady Bishop asked you how your friend Rose was doing.” My mother said.

“Oh she’s doing wonderful! Her brother arrives home from the regiment this week! They have told me they are throwing a small get together to welcome him home. Rose’s health has been poor. She has a small cold but from that she’s wonderful.” I said smiling.

“That’s good, she’s a nice girl. A bit plain, but a very nice girl.” Lady Bishop said. My cheeks grew red. Lydia walked through the door.

“S’cuse me ma’am. A Mr. Bishop, and Mr. Longfellow.” Lydia said. We stood as Mr. Bishop and his friend walked into the room. I felt my heart stop and I tried to avoid looking at them for too long. It was the men from the road! I felt so embarrassed! What if they said something? What would mama say? Oh no! I felt the panic rising inside me bigger and bigger until I felt like a small bird trapped in a cage.

“Aunt Eleanor!” Mr. Bishops said kissing Lady Bishop on the hand.

“It is about time!” She exclaimed.

“I’m sorry, the carriage axel broke on the drive down. It took the driver almost a full hour to fix it.” Mr. Bishop said. Lady Bishop shook her head in disgust.

“I knew I should have sent a carriage for you!” She said. Mr. Bishop turned and acknowledged my mother.

“Edward, this is Mrs. Hartfield, and her daughter, Miss Anne Hartfield.” Lady Bishop said. He turned his gaze on me and a light of recognition flashed into his eyes. My cheeks were a pink color and I could feel the heat of embarrassment on my face.

“A pleasure.” Mr. Bishop said kissing the back of my hand.

“This is Lucas Longfellow. We study together in school.” Mr. Bishop said introducing Mr. Longfellow to the whole room. I curtsied and he gave me a head nod to acknowledge me. He didn’t seem as nice and friendly as Lady Bishop had lead on. Mr. Bishop and Mr. Longfellow took their seats. We sat and the conversation began again.

“So, Mr. Bishop, how is London this time of year?” My mother asked. We women awaited his answer as the carefully thought it over.

“Well, the rain is getting colder, and the god awful smell is still in the air.” He chuckled. I laughed quietly with my mother and Lady Bishop. I caught Mr. Bishop’s eye and he smiled.

“I understand your husband owns the shop in Kingsbury Mrs. Hartfield.” Mr. Longfellow chimed in.

“Oh yes! A charming little place! It’s the only place in town to buy the best honey, from the Stones’ farm just down the lane. It’s sweeter then sugar.” My mother said smiling. I began to stare at Mr. Bishop. He sat tall, and looked out the window. His profile so clean, and strong. He had dark brown hair, and warm green eyes. He had a strong bone structure, and a wonderful smile, that he had just shown me. He had caught me staring. I blushed and looked away.

“Miss. Hartfield, I understand you enjoy the pleasure of reading?” Mr. Longfellow asked. I looked up at him.

“Yes I do.” I said smiling.

“Perhaps you’ve read some of my uncle’s works? William Longfellow?” He asked. I thought.

“I do believe I have read one of his novels. If I am correct I enjoyed it immensely.” I said smiling.

“She has been reading… Oh what’s the name of it…” My mother thought hard.

“Pride and Prejudice.” I said smiling.

“That’s the name!” My mother said smiling. Mr. Bishop suddenly was interested.

“A woman author!” He said. I smiled.

“I have been trying to explain to my mother how I understood it was a woman! How did you discover her sex?” I asked.

“I read the book, only a woman would write such foolishness.” He chuckled. My heart sank and I think it showed slightly on my face because Mr. Bishop searched the room for a new topic. He cleared his throat and continued on.


“The regiment are supposed to be camped here this summer am I correct Aunt?” He asked diverting the attention to something new. I stared down at my hands and tried not to look offended. Foolishness? He believed the story that I have loved foolishness. I felt my insides burning. This was just another man who though women were mere servants in a household. Cooked, and cleaned, and that’s all that was meant for them. I don’t know what I expected. Mr. Longfellow was watching me and he pressed his lips together.

“Perhaps Lady Bishop would like to see the rose garden Anne! They have just bloomed in the last day or so. Very beautiful!” My mother said to me. I smiled and brushed back what had just happened.

“Yes! They are beautiful!” I said smiling. We stood and Lady Bishop began to speak.

“Perhaps Mr. Longfellow would escort two old married women to the garden?” Lady Bishop chuckled.

“It would be an honor ma’am.” Mr. Longfellow said laughing. My mother and Lady Bishop locked arms with him and led us outside. Mr. Bishop walked slowly on my side. He had waited until the party in front of us was ahead a few feet.

“Miss. Anne, I did not mean in any way to offend you.” He said looking at me. I shook my head and put on a fake smile.

“Oh no, you didn’t offend me in any way.” I said. He looked at me.

“I know a lie when I hear one. Your smile on your face says it all. Please accept my deepest apology.” He said.

“Okay.” I said blushing. We walked in silence for a while.

“To be honest, the story was not foolish. It’s just a fairytale, no man in his right mind would marry into a family like that.” He chuckled. I smiled but looked up at him.

“You mean, you would not marry a woman no matter how much in love you were with her, because her family was… a little strange?” I asked laughing.

“No, I wouldn’t.” He said walking with his hands behind his back. His hat tilted over his eyes slightly and he reached up to adjust it.

“Well, good luck with your search sir. No family is totally proper and has no scandals. One way or another there’s always an embarrassment in a family.” I said smiling and watching the birds flying overhead. Sadly, it seems as if I, am ours. The sun warmed my face and I closed my eyes.

“Well, I suppose that’s true.” He whispered looking around. The three of our party was now far ahead and I could see Mr. Longfellow laughing.

“Mr. Longfellow seems like a friendly person.” I said smiling.

“Oh yes, he’s very entertaining. He’s actually from around here, and will be leaving tomorrow to go to his home.” He said smiling.

“How long are you here for?” I asked.

“Until next fall.” He said smiling.

“But, I don’t mean to pry but, won’t you miss a lot at school?” I asked.

“Not too much. I have credits and I took my exams early.” He said with a small smile.

“Well, I misjudged you sir.” I whispered blushing.

“Did you expect me to be an rude, uptight sort of person? Or did you expect a rebellious man, skipping out on school for a while?” He chuckled.

“The first.” I said smiling.

“Well, I am the second.” He said and we both laughed.

“Plus I feel my Aunt needs me. She’s all alone out here. With my Uncle gone she has no one.” He whispered.

“Mr. Bishop!” My mother called back.

“Yes ma’am?” Mr. Bishop replied.

“Oh do stay for dinner! Lady Bishop will be staying!” My mother called out.

“I’m afraid Longfellow and I must be on our way, his family will be expecting him.” Mr. Bishop replied. I swallowed and was slightly disappointed that Mr. Bishop would be leaving.

“But I am sure if you’d have me tomorrow evening I would be more than delighted!” Mr. Bishop said. I looked up at him as he looked down to me.

“Of course, if you’d prefer me to not…” He said trailing off.

“I think it’d be wonderful to have you back.” I replied. My mother agreed and Mr. Bishop glanced over at me. We had soon caught up with the party ahead. Mr. Longfellow asked to escort me back and unwillingly I agreed, not wanting to be rude. As we strolled I looked over my shoulder at Mr. Bishop. We were soon far ahead of my mother.

“I have a gut feeling my friend fancies you.” Mr. Longfellow finally said breaking the silence. I felt my cheeks turn red and my face had heated up.

“I thank you for your compliments but I feel as if Mr. Bishop is merely being kind.” I said smiling. Mr. Longfellow laughed.

“You see, Miss. Hartfield, I probably know my friend better than you do. Considering you have just met him I have reason to believe the words I speak are true. My friend is a kind man, but he has paid special attention to you.” Mr. Longfellow said, his brown eyes smiling at me. I looked him over. He had sandy brown hair, brown eyes, and a nice, pleasant smile. All in all he was handsome, but not as handsome as his friend Mr. Bishop. I remained silent, a red blushing taking over my face. We had stayed silent until we reached the house Mr. Bishop and Mr. Longfellow had given my mother their goodbyes. Mr. Longfellow parted me by a sweet kiss on the back of my hand.

“Well, I have told your mother goodbye, and I have been instructed to hurry back.” Mr. Bishop said smiling as he approached.

“Then I have no more to add, other than it was a pleasure meeting you sir.” I said smiling. Mr. Bishop smiled, and with a tip of his hat him and Mr. Longfellow were gone. Lady Bishop joined us for dinner but my attention could not be focused on their conversation. My mind raced away with thoughts of Mr. Bishop. What could have Mr. Longfellow meant about Mr. Bishop fancying me? Of course Mr. Longfellow could have been teasing me, and I had read too deeply into all of this. I sipped from my glass of water. Dishes clinked and my father was staring at me. He caught me eye and smiled. My thoughts continued. Mr. Bishop was by far one the handsomest men I had ever met. His eyes and smiled had been enchanting. My thoughts rang back to this morning when I had run into him. I could feel the scarlet blush creep along my neck, flushing my cheeks. Oh what he must think! To talk without properly being introduced! Oh I wanted to hide from him!

“Anne! What are your thoughts on my nephew? You seemed to have talked quiet a bit.” Lady Bishop asked.

“He was very polite ma’am. He told me of his school, and he told me some about Mr. Longfellow.” I said smiling.

“Isn’t he handsome Anne? I do say one of the handsomest we’ve met!” My mother asked giggling. I heard my father let out a sigh as he excused himself. He patted my shoulder as he walked by.

“Oh yes, ma’am! He has a certain air about him doesn’t he?” Lady Bishop asked me chuckling beside my mother.

“I suppose. He has pleasant eyes. They sparkle when he’s laughing.” I said smiling down at my plate.

“Well, Mrs. Hartfield! Did you hear that?!” Lady Bishop teased. I felt my blush deepen a darker red.

“Yes I did!” My mother laughed.

“You two!” I whispered chuckling. They laughed together, then launched an entire different conversation and I was once again left me to my own thoughts. Lady Bishop was preparing to leave and we left the dinning room. I followed silently listening to the old women chat.

“I promise you, I wouldn’t have a doubt if they fancied each other already!” Lady Bishop whispered chuckling. I felt my insides bubble with rage. They were talking about Mr. Bishop and I! This had been yet another one of their set ups!

“Oh Lady Bishop!” I exclaimed before my brain could stop me I continued, “I wished Mr. Longfellow could have stayed longer! He was highly amusing! Very charming too if I do day so myself! Don’t you think?” I asked. My mother and the Lady froze in their spots.

“Why yes, I suppose.” Lady Bishop said.

“Perhaps he’ll change his mind and visit again this winter! Oh, well. Goodnight ma’am.” I said walking upstairs to my room. Oh lord! What had I done? What if she tells Mr. Bishop? What if she did and he tells Mr. Longfellow? What would they both think of me? I would be laughed at as a pretentious flirt! I groaned and sat at my small writing desk beneath a window that overlooked the drive. I loved this view, however it sometimes haunted me. In the day I’d sometimes sit and dream of walking down the drive, eager to explore the world and to see all it’s wonders. I dreamed of walking down that drive and never coming back.

The author's comments:
Um, This is not my favorite chapter, I plan on re writing it later on... let me know if you have suggestions!!! :D

Chapter Three


I awoke that morning to a song bird chittering outside my window. Looking out my small window it was a beautiful day, the sun was shining and there seemed to be a gentle breeze causing the flowers to bob their heads. Mr. Bishop was coming for dinner tonight! I smiled and began running a brush through my copper curls. I hummed quietly and looked through my closet and wardrobe looking for a clean, and nice dress.

“Anne darling?” My mother asked from outside my door.

“Yes mama! I am awake!” I chuckled.

“No, you have a visitor!” She replied.

“A visitor? Who?” I asked hurrying to put my dress on.

“Rose!” My mother said. I smiled and quickly pinned my hair up. I ran out of the room and walked down the stairs. Rose sat in the drawing room reading my Pride and Prejudice book.

“Rose!” I said smiling. We embraced each other tightly.

“I haven’t seen you in so long! The doctor’s just now let me outside of the house!” She said laughing.

“Oh it’s so good to see you! Let’s go outside! Heavens knows you must be tired of the indoors!” I said smiling. We ran outside together and walked around the garden.

“So your mother tells me you are having a dinner guest tonight?” Rose asked. I smiled.

“Oh Rose, he’s the handsomest I’ve ever laid eyes on. He had eyes that just sparkle and shine when he laughs, however, he called Pride and Prejudice foolish because it was written by a woman! I mean of course he was polite and apologized! But I couldn’t help but think small of him for that.” I said. Rose chuckled and took my arm.

“Oh Anne, you know as well as I, that people are not going to accept the fact women are naturally greater then men!” She sighed joking. We laughed and she sighed again,

“Of course, I do not think women better, but I think it’s time men start accepting us. Women have a voice, and a powerful, loud one at that.” Rose said.

“Rose you are exactly like Rachel, the heroine in my book!” I said smiling.

“Oh Anne! When will you let me read it?” Rose asked.

“Just as it finished! That’s the only way a book should be read! When it’s finished!” I whispered. Rose sighed and we looked at the sky for a while.

“So tell me more of this man! What is his name?” Rose asked. We stopped walking for a moment as the wind picked up, blowing Rose’s hair into my face. Rose laughed once the wind died down.

“I’m sorry Anne!” She chuckled smoothing out her brown hair.

“Not a problem. Anyways! His name is Edward Bishop, nephew to the late Lord Bishop. He’s staying with Lady Bishop until next fall. He goes to school in London practicing to become a doctor. He’s worth ten thousand a year. He has a friend Mr. Longfellow that visited with us for a while but he went home to his family who lives in Henchover. Mr. Bishop is by far the handsomest man I’ve ever met. Actually, speaking of meeting him we had run into each other, and I mean literally before. I was walking yesterday morning staring at the sky and we ran into each other. Oh Rose, it was such a scandal! We talked before an official meeting.” I said hanging my head, rubbing my eyes with the back of my hand. Rose remained quiet as she thought all of this over.

“Anne, you describe this man as a young modern man, practicing medicine, commenting on your book?” She replied,

“Yes Rose, tell me your point!” I said smiling.

“I don’t think he cares that you talked to him before an official introduction. Like I said before Anne, times are changing, and they are changing fast.” She said. I smiled and hugged her arm tightly.

“See, just like Rachel.” I laughed.

Rose and I discussed Mr. Bishop all day. We wondered where he was from, if he had siblings like me, if he was attending the next ball, we wondered everything! We laughed together as we made up heroic deeds Mr. Bishop could have done before our meet. For instance, Rose suggested perhaps he’d saved a child from a burning orphanage, of course I replied back how awful we were, which just made us laugh harder. The sky was turning gray and I could almost smell the rain. We rushed back into the house laughing as raindrops fell on us. We hadn’t noticed how fast the time had gone by. We had missed lunch and dinner was fast approaching. Father sent for our carriage to take Rose home. She instructed me to tell her everything the next time we met, which I promised her a detailed description. After Rose left the house fell silent. I was happy my sisters were now off and married, leaving the house to me and my parents. The only things to be heard were Bertha in the kitchen banging pots and pans around putting the last minute touches on dinner, and the lonely sound of rain pattering against the windows. I sat in the drawing room alone reading.

I almost didn’t hear the knock which was overpowered soon by a rumble of thunder. I heard Lydia answer the door. Mr. Bishop! I smoothed my hair and dress. Mr. Bishop, led by Lydia walked into the drawing room. I instantly stood and smiled. Mr. Bishop bowed and I acknowledged him.

“Miss. Hartfield, it seems as if Mother Nature decided to take her beautiful day back!” He said approaching me and looking outside the window I was beside.

“Yes, and it’s such a shame! My dearest friend just was allowed to come outside after having a dreadful cold, and now she’s once again stuck indoors.” I said. Mr. Bishop smiled.

“That’s a shame.” He replied staring out the window.

“Yes.” I said softly, “Did Mr. Longfellow reach his family alright?” I asked.

“If you don’t count another carriage failure, yes, he made it just fine.” He chuckled.

“Another failure! You must have awful luck!” I replied back laughing.

“I fear I have no luck. I think just my presence caused it. I am cursed.” He joked laughing. I smiled and my mother came though the door.

“Oh Mr. Bishop! Please do forgive my absence! I was in the kitchen instructing our cook!” She said smiling.

“No problem at all. Miss. Hartfield and I had a wonderful chat.” He said. He smiled and began telling my mother of his trip after she inquired how went. I stared at him. He wasn’t clean shaved only showing that he just made it back from a trip. He had no hint of sleep in his eyes proving that even after his “curse” with carriages his trip went well.

“Ma’am dinner is served.” Lydia said walking into the room. I stood and my mother led us into the dinning room. Mr. Bishop rushed to pull my chair out for me and pushed me close to the table. I looked up at him as he walked and took his place in front of me.

“Thank you.” I said to him.

“Not at all.” He replied. My father looked to him from the end of the table.

“So you are in school?” My father asked.

“Yes, sir.” Mr. Bishop said as we waited for the first course to be brought out.

“And how do you like it?” My father asked.

“It’s wonderful. My professors are kind, the library is never ending, and the classes are small.” Mr. Bishop replied.

“And what exactly are you studying?” My father asked as the servants placed our first course on the table.

“Medicine sir.” Mr. Bishop said picking up his soup spoon. I smiled and bit my lower lip.

“That’s good, a steady job means steady pay.” My father replied slurping a spoonful of soup into his mouth.

“Certainly.” Mr. Bishop replied.

“Oh! Anne! The rain has finally let up!” My mother whispered to me. I smiled and continued with my soup. Oh, I was only joking with myself, for a young woman to remotely have a small inkling of feeling toward a young man before she knew his intentions was wrong. That is how hearts are broken, and dreams crushed. I glanced up to find Mr. Bishop looking at me from across the table. He smiled small and turned to my mother.

“I hear there is to be a ball in town tomorrow. I do hope you will be attending, my Aunt says it’s supposed to be the finest in the season.” Mr. Bishop said. My mother perked up and smiled.

“Why yes! We will be attending.” My confusion must have shown on my face for my mother shot me a glare.

“Of course! We’ve had our dresses planed for weeks.” I lied. I suddenly now felt pressure to find something suitable to wear! Oh a ball on such short notice! I hadn’t a thing to wear and hadn’t an idea at what to attempt to try on.

“That’s wonderful. I will be looking forward to your company.” Mr. Bishop said smiling. I felt his eyes on me and I slowly looked up at him. My father stood and walked out of the room. I looked down at my mother who had a shocked look upon her face.

“I’m terribly sorry Mr. Bishop, he’s not feeling well.” My mother said. I tried to hide my embarrassment.

“I’ll go see if he is okay.” My mother said. She rushed from the room and I could hear her go into my father’s study.

“Miss. Hartfield, I feel as if my visit isn’t as welcoming to others as it is to your mother.” Mr. Bishop said sitting quietly.

“Oh! No! Sir, please, my father has been ill lately do not take him leaving to heart.” I said.

“I also meant to you.” He said. I looked across the table.

“What ever could you mean?” I asked.

“I couldn’t help but notice you haven’t made eye contact with me once tonight. Have I done something wrong? Are you offended from my actions the other day?” He asked looking at me trying to pull the answers out from me.

“No, sir. I…” I stopped and looked down at my plate, “I am shy.” I said feeling the blush creep onto my cheeks.

“Shy?” He asked with a small laugh.

“Yes, sir. I find it hard to keep a steady conversation, I prefer more to, read, or be alone to my own thoughts.” I whispered. Mr. Bishop raised his eyebrows.

“Then how is one supposed to get to know you?” He asked. I looked up.

“I suppose if they asked questions I would be forced to answer.” I replied.

“I wouldn’t want to force anything.” He said softly.

“Well, Mr. Bishop I fear I have offended you.” I whispered.

“No, not at all. I just was merely curious as if you didn’t like me or you were merely shy.” He said smiling. I felt my world crashing down, what he must think of me now.

“Sir, I am sorry.” I whispered, I looked up and made eye contact with him, “You have my full attention. Tell me, how are you finding the country?” I asked smiling. He smiled back and placed his fingertips together.

“I am finding it wildly beautiful, and the people I have met, well, they keep me eager, wanting to know more about them.” He said smiling.

“And who are these people you want to know so much about?” I asked raising my eyebrows.

“You, and your mother, and your friend.” He said looking away.

“Oh, so now you are shy?” I asked teasing. He laughed and looked back.

“Do tell me more of yourself.” He said leaning over his plate.

“Well, sir, I wonder what you want to know? I could sit here and tell you my whole life story but you may only inquire what my favorite color is, or if I enjoy the theater. In case, I will not tell you my life story because I fear it would be incredibly boring.” I laughed. He smiled.

“Alright then, what is you favorite color?” He asked. I looked around the room thinking.

“I suppose the color of the sky, before the sun is just about to peek over the horizon, the purple huge and tinge of red.” I said, “And yours sir?” I asked.

“The color of your eyes. Not quite blue, but yet, not quite green.” He said smiling. I closed my eyes and smiled, upon opening them I seen Mr. Bishop staring at me.

“I guess that is a very good color.” I said smiling.

“As is yours.” He replied. My mother walked through the door and we both sat up straight. My mother paused sensing what had taken place. She took her seat and smiled. The servants then brought in the next course.

“How is father?” I asked breaking the new awkward silence.

“He’s in his study, he seems to have a headache.” She replied softly avoiding any more conversation. Mr. Bishop looked at me. I made sure to meet his eyes and he smiled.

“Mr. Bishop, tell me how did you and Mr. Longfellow become acquainted?” I asked him. Mr. Bishop squinted and thought.

“I believe it was two years ago.” He said, “We, uh we were at school, and a few of the men were picking on this little wimp of a boy.” Mr. Bishop chuckled.

“No?! That could not have been Mr. Longfellow!” I said chuckling.

“It wasn’t, it was his younger brother.” Mr. Bishop laughed, “Anyway, I told the men to leave him alone and I met Lucas,” He said smiling.

“That’s wonderful.” My mother said, “And such a heroic deed.” I chuckled and Mr. Bishop looked at me confused. Lydia came to the door and bowed.

“A letter for Miss Hartfield from a Mrs. Greensburg.” Lydia said. I looked at my mama.

“Rose’s mother? What ever could she be writing for?” I whispered taking the letter from Lydia. I opened the papers.

Anne,

Rose’s health has grown far worse. She asks me to write on her behalf. She wishes you to visit soon as you are able. Anne, I would not ask for you to come at such a moment’s notice, but her condition is not well. The doctors are telling me to begin preparing for the worst. I do not understand how someone who was so well only this morning can turn for something far worse. Anne, the doctor says it could be yellow fever, with her cousin’s from the east coming the doctor believes they may have carried the virus with them last time they visited. Oh, Anne, I fear for her. Please, come soon.


Sincerely,

Mrs. Greensburg

I dropped the letter.

“Oh no!” I whispered tears springing into my eyes.

“Anne! What’s gone wrong?!” My mother asked getting from her seat rushing over.

“Rose’s condition’s worsened. It can’t be possible we just seen her well this morning! The doctor they’ve hired believes it’s yellow fever. I have to go. Right away!” I whispered standing up. My mother rushed to get my cloak. Mr. Bishop rose from his seat catching my wrist.

“Miss. Hartfield, I don’t mean to pry but you cannot go near her. If she truly has yellow fever she’s infectious, you could catch the disease.” He whispered to me worry in his eyes.

“Mr. Bishop I thank you for your concerns but this woman, Rose, She’s like one of my sisters. If you had a sibling terribly ill, on the edge of dying and they asked for you, what would you do?” I whispered looking into his eyes. His grip on my wrist loosened.

“Do, please let me come with you, I may be of some assistance. I don’t mean to gloat, but I do believe I may know more in the art of medicine then her doctor, for every day new cures are coming out for illnesses and if her doctor is old he won’t know how to cure her… or to make the rest of her moment’s comfortable. I have a horse and I can get you there in minutes.” Mr. Bishop whispered. I looked at him, his honesty in his eyes.

“If you believe you can help Rose.” I whispered. He nodded and ran out of the house to the stable.

“Mama, Mr. Bishop is coming with me, he thinks he may help.” I said as she came back into the room. She wrapped my cloak around me.

“Anne.” She whispered. I stopped to look at her and she hugged me.
“Send my wishes.” She whispered. I nodded and ran to the hall where Mr. Bishop awaited me. It had began raining again. He led me outside and lifted me onto his horse. My mother waved.

“Anne, stay strong.” She yelled to me. Mr. Bishop climbed onto the horse and we were off, thundering down the drive. I felt my tears growing and overflowing onto my cheeks, I closed my eyes. I couldn’t lose Rose. Not the one person whom has ever understood me.

The author's comments:
Oh siiiiiigh... I really fell like for my character Mr. Bishop in this Chapter, lol. I'm such a freak... hahah but I really did, I love the way I wrote him in this.

Chapter Four

I felt a hand close around mine. I opened my eyes and Mr. Bishop squeezed my hand. I cried harder, we reached the crossing and I directed him to the left. We crashed through mud puddles, sending water flying everywhere.

“Hold tight.” I heard Mr. Bishop yell. We leaped over a blown over tree. I screamed, frightened of falling off but kept my grip on Mr. Bishop. We turned down the Greensburg drive. I seen the servants gathered outside the door expecting me. Mr. Bishop jumped off the horse and lifted me down, we ran onto the porch where the servants tried to take my coat but I ran inside. Mrs. Greensburg was sitting on the stairs that led upstairs crying.

“Oh Anne!” She whispered sobbing. I stopped and stared at her. Mr. Bishop walked into the room. Mrs. Greenburg stood up and nodded. Mr. Bishop acknowledged her.

“Mr. Bishop is a Lady Bishop’s nephew, he’s been studying in London to become a doctor, he thinks he might be able to help.” I said walking over and letting Mrs. Greenburg embrace me.

“Oh Anne.” She whispered, “Thank you sir, for coming.” She whispered again crying into my coat.

“May I see her?” He asked.

“Upstairs, I’ll show you.” I whispered as Mrs. Greenburg let go of me, “Mrs. Greenburg perhaps you could fetch me some cool water?” I asked. She nodded and I walked up the stairs with Mr. Bishop. He stopped me outside Rose’s door.

“Miss. Hartfield, I cannot let you come in.” He whispered looking at his hands.

“Mr. Bishop!” I whispered.

“Please, let me examine her. Then I’ll decide if it’s safe. I’m only looking out for you.” He whispered. I stubbornly crossed my arms and he nodded. I leaned against the wall. Mr. Bishop walked into Rose’s room. There was no noise aside Rose’s coughing. I slid down the wall and buried my head in my arms. It seemed forever until Rose’s door cracked open.

“Miss Hartfield?” I heard Mr. Bishop whisper. I stood and he beckoned me into Rose’s room. I opened the door and came in shutting it behind me. Mr. Bishop’s coat was lying across a chair, along with his neck tie, and jacket. He was bent over Rose with a rag dabbing her head.

“I don’t think the doctor made a correct diagnosis. I mean, it is yellow fever, but I think she’ll be just fine.” He whispered. I walked over to the side of the bed and kneeled. I took Rose’s hand between mine. She stirred and moaned softly.

“How… How could she have gotten so worse?” I whispered looking at him.

“It seems it’s been building in her system.” He whispered back. I bent down and pressed my cheek to Rose’s burning hand.

“She’s so warm.” I whispered. Mr. Bishop nodded.

“It’s the fever. I keep trying to cool her down, but she insists on pulling the covers up to her throat.” He said. I looked at him, sweat across his brow, his hands so tenderly caring for Rose. He caught me staring.

“Thank you.” I whispered. He pressed his lips together.

“I still don’t think it’s a good idea for you to be in here too long.” He whispered looking down at Rose. I squeezed her hand and she opened her eyes.

“Anne?” She whispered, her voice coarse.

“Oh, Rose! What have you gotten yourself into?” I whispered smiling.

“It’s cold.” She whispered.

“No, Rose. You can’t stay covered up.” I whispered pulling the covers down. She moaned and turned her head into the light.

“Her skin.” I whispered.

“The yellow part of Yellow Fever.” Mr. Bishop whispered. Rose’s skin was a sickly tinge of yellow. I felt a hand on my shoulder.

“Miss, I think we need to go. She’s tired, and needs her rest. I’ll come back and check on her.” He whispered. I bent down to look at Rose. She had drifted back to sleep. I nodded and Mr. Bishop gathered his things and we walked out of the room. I stopped outside the door and began to sob.

“It’s my fault.” I cried. Mr. Bishop shook his head.

“Miss. Hartfield? There was no way you could have caused any of this.” Mr. Bishop whispered.

“We.. We were out in the rain this morning! I should have known!” I cried. I leaned against the wall and slid down. Mr. Bishop sat beside me.

“No, Anne.” He whispered looking at me. I sniffed and wiped my eyes.

“Do you think…. You think she’ll be okay?” I whispered. Mr. Bishop tried for a smile and nodded.

“I think so. If she stays in the condition she is now.” He whispered.

“Do you mind, if we stay a while longer?” I whispered.

“No, not at all, I’m going to go watch over Rose, go downstairs, comfort Mrs. Greensburg.” He whispered. He helped me stand and before he walked back into Rose’s room I caught his sleeve.

“Mr. Bishop?” I whispered. He looked back, and my heart stopped.

“Thank, thank you.” I whispered my voice cracking.

“Anything,” He whispered. He opened the door and slipped inside. I descended the stairs and found Mrs. Greensburg in the kitchen trying to work the pump.

“Mrs. Greensburg.” I whispered. She turned and looked at me.

“Oh, Anne, I cannot figure how to work this blasted thing.” She cried. I moved her away from the pump and took her into the drawing room.

“Mr. Bishop believes Rose will get better, If she stays in the same condition she’s in and doesn’t get worse.” I whispered. Mrs. Greensburg burst into tears.

“Oh Anne! Thank you! Thank you!” She cried.

“No, please, it was all Mr. Bishop.” I whispered. I glanced up at the ceiling where I could hear the shuffles of his boots.

“Anne?” Mrs. Greensburg whispered.

“Yes?” I asked.

“Do you think you… you could stay, just for a little while?” She whispered.

“Yes! Yes! I can. I’ll write to my mother, she’ll understand.” I said. Mrs. Greensburg nodded.

“I’m going to go fetch William, he’s locked himself in his study.” She whispered. I nodded and sat in the drawing room staring out the window. I heard steps coming down the stairs and I went to go meet Mr. Bishop.

“How is she?” I asked.

“She’s well, her fever’s come down slightly while we’ve been here. I managed to get the large blanket off, and she’s now using a lighter one, so that will help.” He whispered. He was trying to button his sleeves but his fingers weren’t letting him. I chuckled and pushed his hand away and buttoned them for him. He nodded in thanks.

“I’m staying for a while, until Mrs. Greensburg doesn’t need me.” I whispered. Mr. Bishop looked at me.

“Miss. Hartfield, I was…” Mr. Bishop was cut off by Mrs. Greensburg.

“William, this is Mr. Bishop, he’s the nephew of Lady Bishop. Anne tells me here he’s studied in London to become a doctor? I believe?” She asked me. I nodded. Mr. Greensburg shook Mr. Bishop’s hand.

“Sir, how can I ever pay you?” He whispered.

“No, I did this for Miss Hartfield, I know how much Miss Greensburg means to her.” Mr. Bishop said. Mrs. Greensburg looked at me and smiled.
“I do thank you.” Mr. Greensburg whispered. Mr. Bishop nodded.

“Just continue with the tonic, and keep the large blanket off of her. A cool bath when she’s feeling stronger would help.” Mr. Bishop said as he put on his jacket. The Greensburgs said their goodbyes and I walked with Mr. Bishop to the door. The rain was still falling and I stood on the porch with him for a while.

“Miss Hartfield.” Mr. Bishop whispered.

“Yes?” I asked.

“I was… I was going to ask you to accompany me to the ball tomorrow, but in sight of recent events…” Mr. Bishop chuckled nervously. He pulled on his neck tie and stood uncomfortably.

“I…” I paused. I was shocked and I longed so much to go, to dance with Mr. Bishop, but Rose needed me. “I thank you for your offer, but I don’t think I’ll be attending.” I whispered. He looked out on the lawn and nodded.

“Understandable.” He nodded. He looked at me. “You can call me Edward, you know?” He said before taking the steps off the porch and saddling his horse.

“Edward.” I said. He turned and I smiled.

“Yes?” He asked.

“You can call me Anne.” I said. He smiled crookedly and tipped his hat to me. He climbed his horse and galloped away. I turned and walked back inside feeling as if I was walking on air.

The author's comments:
:)) Ball scene! I had fun writing this part, I wish they danced more, I might fix that when I go back, but I'm also planning on writing another ball into it, a private one like at Lady Bishops... but I'm not possitive.

Chapter Five


“And then he said, you know, you can call me Edward.” I sighed. I was sitting next to Rose in her room. She chuckled which turned into a nasty cough.

“Oh!” I groaned pouring her a glass of water. She smiled as she drank.

“What did you say?” She asked.

“I said, Edward.” I paused, she sat up slightly, “I said, you can call me Anne.” I giggled. Rose sighed.

“How could I have not remembered him? I mean he saved me practically! Father says he’s never calling on Doctor Gilbert ever again.” Rose chuckled. I smiled, “I’m so sorry I ruined your dinner Anne, and I’m ruining your ball! Oh I wish you would go!” She whispered. I placed a cool rag on her forehead as she coughed.

“I said I’d stay beside you so I’m staying beside you.” I whispered.

“But…”

“But nothing Rose. I’ve made myself very clear! And if I showed up after telling him no what would he think?!” I said shaking my head.

“He would think, wow, Anne, is the most beautiful girl here, and she must have changed her mind. Oh and look at the dress, I do believe I seen the same one hanging inside Rose’s closet.” Rose moaned.

“You should be resting, no more talk.” I whispered.

“Please?” She whispered back looking up at me. I sat there looking at her. “Please go.”

I sighed and looked down at my hands.

“Go get the dress, put it on, and have my father get the carriage. Anne, you deserve this.” Rose whispered. I looked sideways at her and she smiled. I sighed and stood up walking to her closet.

“That one.” She said when my fingers touched the finest dress I’ve ever laid eyes on.

“Oh Rose! I couldn’t.” I whispered.

“Yes, you could.” Rose said. I shook my head and she groaned.

“I swear Anne, forget your modesty and put the dress on.” Rose yelled loudly. I turned to her my jaw dropped. Rose had never yelled at me like that. “I am so tired of you reading and writing about women who find their romances, I want you to find yours. That way, you can introduce me to many rich men.” She chuckled. I laughed and took the dress out.

“Oh, Rose… I don’t know.” I whispered.

“I’m telling you to wear it.” Rose said as she rang a bell. I heard someone running up the stairs. Mrs. Greensburg came through the door.

“Rose?” Mrs. Greensburg asked worried.

“Mama, I am fine. Anne needs a carriage. I have told her she is wearing my dress, and she’s going to that ball. Are you aware Mr. Bishop asked her to go with him?” Rose coughed. Mrs. Greensburg looked at me astonished.

“Rose needs me.” I whispered pleading with her through my eyes to tell Rose she’s being senseless.

“I know that look Anne Hartfield.” Rose grumbled.

“Anne! Why didn’t you tell me? I wouldn’t have ever asked you to give something like this up! Put the dress on! Regina! Fetch the carriage!” Mrs. Greensburg yelled as she walked out the door. I groaned and looked at Rose.

“Better hurry.” Rose smiled before rolling over and falling asleep. I sighed and changed into the dress. I fingered the eyelet lace and stared at myself in the mirror. I used Rose’s brush and combed through my copper curls. I pinned them up adding a few of the white roses Mrs. Greensburg had placed on Rose’s dresser just this morning. Mrs. Greensburg walked in and smiled at me.

“You look beautiful.” She said smiling. She handed me a white shawl and we walked out of Rose’s room. I stared at her before shutting the door.

“Tell me everything!” I heard Rose cough. I chuckled and shut the door.


The hall was loud, crowded, and hot. I searched for Mr. Bishop but didn’t see him. I seen my mother who rushed over to me.

“Oh Anne! You made it! You look so beautiful!” She said smiling.

“Have you seen Mr. Bishop?” I whispered. My mother shook her head slowly. I felt my whole body sink.

“Anne?” My mother asked.

“He asked if he could escort me to the ball tonight, I told him that Rose needed me but Rose forced me to come, and I was afraid this would happen.” I whispered.

“He what?!” My mother squealed.

“Ma ma!” I whispered pulling her off to the side.

“Oh Anne!” She whispered hugging me. I sighed and hugged her back.

“Well, we might as have fun while we’re here.” I said. I noticed my father speaking with Mr. Jameson from the store. I walked over and joined their conversation.

“The way things are sir, sugar will be more expensive then the silk! With the war going on in France, we have half of our supply cut off.” Mr. Jameson said shaking his head.

“I don’t mean to intrude but may I have this dance?” A voice asked from behind me. My heart skipped a beat. I turned to see Rose’s cousin standing behind me. He was short, and about twelve years old.

“Patrick, I don’t mean to offend, but I think there’s another young lady here for you somewhere. We wouldn’t want to upset Rose would we?” I asked smiling. Patrick walked off scuffing his shoes. My father chuckled.

“Anne, I do believe, the poor boy has a fancy for you.” He said smiling. I closed my eyes and shook my head. I opened my eyes and Mr. Jameson was staring at me. He smiled small and looked away taking a drink of his warm wine. I blushed and walked away to find a seat to watch the dancers. I smiled seeing some of my friends dancing with agreeable men. I stopped as I had caught a glance of what seemed to Mr. Bishop. I looked again, but I didn’t see anyone. I sighed and took a seat. I watched my father ask my mother for a dance. I smiled to watch my mother’s face turn a beat red. I stood up because I was sure I had seen Mr. Bishop. He turned and we met eyes. I opened my mouth in a smile and he tried to walk across the dance floor only to be cut off by a group of young girls. I tried to make my way through but the dance floor was so packed I couldn’t move after a few feet into the tangle of people. I turned around looking for a way out of the crowd, when a hand touched mine and I turned to see Mr. Bishop.

“I thought you were staying with Rose?” He asked. His eyes looked me over, sparkling like the nighttime sky.

“I… changed my mind.” I said blushing. He smiled.

“I’m very glad you did.” He said to me over the music, “May I have this dance?” He asked smiling. I nodded and he took my waist. There wasn’t much room but people seemed to be thinning out. I noticed that the song switched to a waltz.

“You look positively stunning.” Mr. Bishop whispered to me. I felt my face turn red.

“Thank you. Mr.” I stopped and he smiled, “Edward.” He twirled me around the dance floor. I heard whispers and I even seen a few people pointing on occasion.

“Um, I think we are a spectacle.” I whispered to Edward…

“I think we are.” He said smiling to me. I could just picture what my mother was doing right now. She was probably crying into my father’s shoulder, about how fast her daughter has grown up. I mean she’s a woman already, grown, writing novels of her own and falling in love. I looked into Edward’s eyes and he smiled.

“Anne.” He whispered.

“Hmm?”

“Anne, I very much like you.” He whispered. I looked up at him and smiled.

“I think you have stolen my words sir.” I whispered. He laughed quietly,

“Maybe you just feel the same as I.”

“Maybe.” I whispered. The song came to an end and we unwillingly stepped apart. He bowed and I curtsied.

“Anne.” I heard him say.

“Yes Edward?” I asked.

“If I can repeat my inquire… I’d like to remain close to you the rest of the night.” He whispered. I smiled and he looked at me awaiting my answer.

“I think that would be wonderful.” I said. He smiled and we walked off the dance floor.

“I think drinks are in order, what would you like?” He asked me.

“Water please.” I said. He nodded and walked to the refreshment table. My mother rushed over fanning herself with my folding fan. I smiled and my mother just couldn’t stop talking.

“Oh Anne! I think he very much likes you! He looked at you as if he does! Do you like him? Oh never mind that we can talk about that later! He’s a very good dancer! I knew you and him would get along! Oh I’m so happy he’s came for the year!” My mother said excitedly. I stopped her.

“Ma ma! Calm down.” I laughed, she stopped and looked at me.

“Well? Do you like him?” She asked.

“Ma ma… I think I’m in love with him.” I said smiling. She almost fell over from pleasure.

“Oh Anne!” She yelled hugging me tightly. Edward came back with our drinks.

“Hello Mrs. Hartfield.” He said smiling.

“Oh Mr. Bishop! How are you?” She asked. Edward and her began having a conversation. I felt Edward’s hand brush mine and I looked over to him. He was still talking with my mother but he gave me a small smile.

“My Aunt tells me she wishes you two to come to tea tomorrow.” Edward said.

“Tea! Oh that’s lovely! I haven’t had a good cup of tea since the war.” My mother said laughing.

“Oh don’t I know it.” Edward said. The band laid down their instruments for a break and the room suddenly became very loud.

“Ma ma!” I yelled over the noise.

“Yes?” She asked.

“I am going to go out to the garden! I believe I’m catching a headache.” I said.

“Oh let me come with you! It’s getting hot in here.” Edward said.

“Oh okay darling!” My mother said smiling. Edward led me through the crowd and out through the doors.

“It seems as if everyone in the county’s showed up.” I laughed.

“Yes it does!” Edward looked around at all the carriages. He smiled at me and led me over to the small garden. We could hear the talking in the hall.

“Anne.” Edward said pulling me over to a bench. We sat down and Edward looked at me.

“You know… when I ran into you, I never expected…” He stopped and chuckled softly.

“You never expected what?” I whispered.

“I never expected you to be… so… wonderful.” He whispered looking at me. I laughed and shook my head.

“I thought you would think me a disgrace, a scandal.” I laughed. He looked at me confused.

“We hadn’t been introduced, and people around here… that’s something that’s I guess taboo.” I whispered my face turning red.

“Well, I thought nothing of the sort, in London it’s normal for a woman to talk to a man, well not normal, but it’s not a scandal.” He laughed looking up at the night’s sky.

“Well, I’m glad you thought me different.” I said looking at him. He nodded.

“I’m looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.” Edward said.

“As I you.” I said smiling.

“My Aunt, she very much likes you.” He said smiling.

“Her and my mother are good friends, she’s a very nice woman.” I said smiling.

“Well, she talks highly of you.” Edward said.

“Oh really? What does she say? Because I believe she called me a scandal earlier in the week.” I laughed.

“What? Why ever would she do that?” He laughed.

“Well, I believe it was because I was running.” I said pressing my lips together. He began chuckling.

“What in the world were you running from?” He asked laughing. I shrugged,

“Do you want the story I told my mother or the true one?” I laughed. He looked at me smiling.

“Both.” He said.

“Well, to my mother I told her a dog was chasing me, which she added facts that the dog was foaming at the mouth, and rabid! In her story she seen it for herself!” I laughed, he shook his head and laughed with me.

“What was so bad that made you make a such a story?” He laughed.

“Not, bad, just… I was embarrassed…” I said blushing.

“Embarrassed from what?” He asked.

“Well, not only had I spoken without being introduced, I had run into you.” I whispered looking down at my hands.

“You weren’t running from me were you?” He asked shocked.

“Not from you per say.” I laughed. He turned to me laughing.

“You were running from me!” He laughed.

“No!” I giggled and he reached out and took my hands. I stopped laughing and we stared at each other smiling. “I’d never run from you. In fact… I was running from your friend. One man, I could handle, two. I was thoroughly embarrassed.” I chuckled. He smiled.

“Well, I am still sorry for running into you, and I should apologize to the townspeople, I’m sure they’re in a frenzied about the rabid dog.” He laughed. I laughed with him and he smiled. I looked down and a piece of my hair fell in my eyes. Edward reached up and tucked it behind my ear. I could hear the hall cheering and clapping.

“It seems as if the ball is over!” I laughed.

“We only had one dance.” He whispered looking at the windows that was lit up in the hall.

“What a shame.” I said looking at him. He smiled.

“Well, I think I’ll be talking to my Aunt tonight, about hosting our own ball perhaps.” Edward said.

“Private balls are always nicer than public ones. It seems when you are dancing you’re not stepping on the next couples toes.” I laughed. He smiled and nodded.

“Anne!? Anne darling?” I heard my mother calling.

“Well, Mr. Bishop.” I said smiling standing.

“Who?” he asked me. I blushed,

“Edward.” I said smiling. He nodded and walked with me back to the entrance. Before we reached the front of the building however Edward grabbed my hand and stopped me. He looked at me and lifted my hand to his mouth. He placed a kiss on the back of it and smiled.

“Until tomorrow then?” He whispered.

“Until tomorrow.” I said smiling. He left me in the hands of my mother and father. He took my hand and helped me into the carriage. He squeezed my fingers before letting go. He smiled and then walked off disappearing into the crowd.

The author's comments:
Hmmmm.... The next chapter is by far my favorite I think... Maybe my second favorite.

Chapter Six


“Oh mama!” I whispered the next morning at breakfast.

“What on earth did you two talk about outside?” She asked.

“Nothing much, we talked about… I suppose about Lady Bishop, and he says that he’s going to convince her to hold a ball!” I said smiling.

“Oh a privet ball! Oh Anne! We must get you a new dress! New ribbons! Shoes!” My mother said now tugging at my house dress and looking at my shoes.

“Mama!” I declared. My father and her laughed and I tried to hide my crimson blush.

“A letter from Bishop Hall.” Lydia said holding out a letter for me. I took the letter and stared at the paper. My mother gasped and began almost bouncing in her seat.

“Well open it!” She squealed.

“Mama! May I have some privacy!” I said getting up from the table. I giggled to myself clutching the letter tightly and I ran from the house, and through the garden. I sat down on a swing that my father had put up for my eldest sister when she was little. It was set off from the house under a willow’s weeping branches. I sat there and broke the wax seal on the letter. I held my breath as I opened the letter.

Dearest Anne,

I am sad to be writing this letter to you at all. I have been called away, to London, my professors have asked me to come back to take more exams, tests, and study. This parting is hard, for I am not able to come and say goodbye, but I will be back before the end of the month. Anne, I wish you were coming with me, with the sad dreary weather of London, and the sad looking people, it would be nice to see a smiling face. I once again apologize, but the letter arrived while I was at the ball. The professors say it was urgent so I write this letter quickly in the hopes you will send one back, accepting my deepest apology. I hope to see you soon, it will only be a week, week and a half.

Impossibly Yours,

Edward Bishop

I closed my eyes letting my tears fall. Just when everything had been going so well. What if he reached London and suddenly realized he enjoyed London and decided to never come back again. I cried for a while, letting my sadness take over. I re-read the letter feeling slightly better, after I had read the part of London being sad, and dreary. I walked back to the house slowly to pull myself together. I wiped my eyes and took deep breaths hoping my face wasn’t red. I was now relieved I hadn’t opened the letter at the table. I smiled upon walking into the drawing room.

“Well?” My mother said standing.

“He’s been called away. To take more exams at school. His professors say it’s urgent, he’ll only be away for a week or two.” I said smiling. My mother’s face fell.

“If you’d excuse me..” I whispered my breath catching in my throat. I walked out of the room and upstairs to my chamber. I sat at my desk lighting a candle with a match. I sat and stared at my writing paper for a while. I hadn’t a clue at what to write. I could be honest, and tell him his going away is going to be such a burden to not have anyone to talk to. What if Rose suddenly got ill again? I picked up my pen and began to write.



Edward,

Your parting I will not lie, left me deeply saddened. I wish, as I am going to your Aunt’s for tea you would be there, but I know you are either on your way to London or already there. I should perhaps think you are out in the middle of the countryside stranded due to a bad stroke of luck with a carriage, since you have to told me before you are “cursed”. I wish you all the luck on your exams. Perhaps when you return you can tell me all about your experiences. Do write me, keep me informed of everything, for I am counting down the days of your return.










Anne


I sealed the letter and wrote the address that was enclosed for Edward’s rooms at school. I gave the letter to Lydia and went back to my room where I laid down. My mother soon knocked on my door.

“Anne?” She whispered from outside.

“Yes Mama?” I asked.

“Anne, it’s time to go, Lady Bishop had asked us for tea? You have not forgotten?” She asked me softly.

“No mama.” I sighed. I sat up and stared out the window for a few seconds. I could see the carriage outside waiting for me. I got up and walked out of my room. My mother was waiting at the bottom of the steps.

“Why do you not look more happy?” My mother asked once we were seated comfortably in the carriage.

“I’ve told you Mr. Bishop has been called away to London to school again. He may not return until the end of this month.” I said looking out the window trying to keep a smile on my face.

“It’s such dreadful news! Just when we were getting so acquainted with him! I suppose a month is not that long but it seems forever when you are young and have just made a new friend.” My mother said smiling.

“Oh yes, but he has promised to write, if that should help any.” I said smiling.

“Oh my dear, then the month should pass by quickly darling.” My mother said taking my hand in hers and patting it. I smiled and watched the trees pass by us.

It did not take long to reach Lady Bishop’s. I couldn’t help but marvel up at her estate even though I have been here many of times. The large building was made of grey stone with ornate windows and marvelous towers. The description of Pemberley seemed fit for Lady Bishop’s abode. We were greeted by Lady Bishop herself. She stood upon the steps and waved to us once our carriage had stopped.

“Lady Bishop! It’s so nice to see you again.” My mother said to her.

“Oh and you darling! It was but a few days ago we met last but it seems ages now that poor Edward has left me alone once again.” Lady Bishop chuckled. I smiled and couldn’t help but feel my heart sink.

“Anne, you look well, your cheeks are very rosy today!” Lady Bishop smiled.

“Thank you ma’am.” I said smiling.

“Well, let us go inside from the look of the clouds above we might be in store for rain.” She said staring at the sky. My mother looked up and agreed. I followed the women indoors to a wonderful foyer. The floors a white marble that shined. I looked up at the baroque painting on the ceiling showing pictures of women and men looking down from the heavens. I once wondered what it would be like to grow up in Bishop Hall, and to just lie under that ceiling and stare at the wonder all day. Each time I looked at the painting I seen something I had never seen before and it had always captured my interest.

“Anne darling! Do watch where you are walking!” My mother said chuckling. I looked back straight ahead where I had almost walked myself right into the doorframe. I felt my blush heat my face. The two women sat and chatted while I sadly stared out the window. I wondered if Mr. Bishop were here if I would be more into the conversation, perhaps we would be walking together outside in the rose garden, laughing and discussing our family, and friends.

“Anne is there something wrong?” Lady Bishop asked suddenly. I snapped back into the room and shook my head.

“No ma’am I am perfectly fine.” I said giving her a small smile.

“I do apologize once again for my nephew’s absence. I wish his school would have found the mistake they had made sooner but, alas, this is what we were given. More tea Anne?” Lady Bishop asked.

“No, thank you.” I said smiling. I still had not drank the first cup I was given which sat on the small table beside me. I lifted the cup and saucer taking a drink. I watched outside as the first raindrop splattered against the window. As my mother and Lady Bishop talked the sky grew darker and soon lighting struck just over the tree tops outside.

“Oh dear!” My mother exclaimed for a strike had just hit outside the house, the thunder shaking the window’s in their frames.

“I do think you should stay Mrs. Hartfield! I couldn’t imagine your carriage driver driving in a awful storm like this the poor man! Oh do stay! It would be so nice to have guests!” Lady Bishop said smiling inching forward in her seat awaiting my mother’s reply.

“Oh, we wouldn’t want to be a burden!” My mother said out of humbleness.

“You would be nothing of the such! I have been wanting guest to stay for a while now! It would be an honor to have my dearest friends stay until morning!” She said smiling. Lighting struck again outside making my mother cringe.

“Perhaps that would be best.” She said looking outside, the rain drops rolling down the windows. I smiled at Lady Bishop as she stood and called the maid into the room. She told her to draw up two rooms and set two places for dinner tonight. The maid rushed off to her duties and we resumed our chat.

“I have not heard news from my nephew. I wonder how his trip has gone?” Lady Bishop declared. I held my breath as my mother opened her mouth.

“Why! Anne received a letter from him just today!” My mother said shaking her head. I closed my eyes.

“Anne! What did the letter state?!” Lady Bishop said smiling. I smiled small holding back tears. I inhaled my breath ragged.

“Just that he regretted his departure, and that told me to explain his situation to the family.” I said pressing my lips together. They looked at me, my mother’s eyes narrowing.


“That all?” Lady Bishop asked confused.

“Yes ma’am, oh and he regretted not being able to dine with us today.” I said smiling. The women looked at themselves with eyebrows raised.

“Well, I do wish he would of stayed but the sooner he gets his education done the sooner he may marry and have a family of his own!” Lady Bishop said.

“Oh of course!” My mother agreed.

“I have come to the attention of Miss Gertrude Livingston. She lives in Kent but she’s staying with relatives in town. She’d be a perfect match for my Edward.” Lady Bishop smiled fluttering her fan under her chin. I swallowed and tried to ignore the talk.

“Surely you’ve heard!” My mother gasped. I felt the story coming up again, when will that poor girl ever get away from that scandal. I felt awful for her, perhaps it had all been a misunderstanding but with my mother around town, the girl was destined to be a spinster.

“What ever could you mean?” Lady Bishop asked her fan stopping.

“The girl’s a scandal! She ran off with her father’s advisor! They ran off to Hertfordshire to be married! If it hadn’t been for the cousin intercepting them on the road. The father’s advisor had already been divorced once. No girl should be marrying a divorcee at her age. The poor thing. I fear she has been ruined far worse then if she would have married him.” My mother said shaking her head pitifully. I rolled my eyes and looked around the room.

“I doubt Ed- Mr. Bishop would fancy her either. She’s not very smart, she’s a bit of a fluff.” I said smiling. Lady Bishop laughed as my mother looked at me quite shocked.

“Oh mama, do not look as though you have not noticed! I have heard you before once or twice admit she’s not very bright.” I laughed. This sent Lady Bishop in another fit of giggles which made me suspect that she was not only drinking tea with her cake.

“Anne, you should not speak of people as such! I thought my daughter would be more polite then that.” My mother said looking at me astonished.

“Oh, Mrs. Hartfield, let her be, she has given me my entertainment of the day. Besides, she speaks the truth.” Lady Bishop laughed. I smiled and apologized even so for my words.

“London is but a days journey from here. I feel I shall hear from Edward sometime tomorrow morn.” Lady Bishop said then added, “Perhaps he’ll send you another letter, dear Anne. I do hope if he does your servants will have it delivered here.” I felt my cheek begin to blush, and I felt the heat creep up my neck.

“Perhaps.” was my reply.

The author's comments:
Shortest chapter :P hahahahah AND I LOVE IT!!

Chapter Seven


After dinner had been served I climbed the stairs of Lady Bishop’s mansion to retire early. Once I made it to my room however, I couldn’t sleep a wink. All I could think of was Edward and Miss Livingston laughing together. I fluffed my pillow and rolled over in my bed. Edward wouldn’t go for a girl like that would he? He had once told me he liked me, but how much had he liked me? I feared that you could like someone, but not love them. I stared out the window near my bed. I had fallen in love with Edward. I had fallen hard.


I awoke in the middle of the night to a loud crash only to realize it once again was storming out. I lit my candlestick and sat at the small writing desk in the guestroom. I looked about, but somehow I knew I would not be able to fall back asleep. I threw a wrap around me and I walked to the door. To explore Lady Bishop’s mansion while everyone was asleep was very enticing. I couldn’t help but crack open my door and peer into the hallway. There was no noise, and I could see no one. I walked into the hallway. I examined the portraits and paintings that hung in the long hall. I passed my mother’s room and heard her snores from outside the door. I chuckled and continued to walk. I walked down a flight of steps into a more grand hallway. Surely Lady Bishop’s room would be in this wing of the house. I spied a cracked door. My curiosity got the best of me as I approached. I peered into the room. It was a grand bedroom. The walls were a dark color, that I could not guess since the room was only lit by my small candle. A tall, four-poster bed sat along the wall, next to a large window. The drapes were tucked back and tied, so you could see the glorious grounds, and the rain that pelted the windows. Then I spied a jacket on the back of a chair at a writing desk. Could this have been Edward’s room? I reached out to touch the jacket finding myself shocked as I realized the coat was wet. I suddenly knew that I should not be in this room and walked quickly to the door. I reached for the knob but the door swung open before my hand wrapped around it. I jumped back letting out a startled cry. The man jumped back too, shock and fright on his face also. I clutched my wrap tight and tried to stop my fast beating heart.

“Anne?” I heard the man whisper. I held the candle up to see the man’s face.

“Edward!” I exclaimed. I suddenly felt very embarrassed. It was late at night, I was dressed only in a nightgown and wrap, and there in front of me was a gentlemen! Oh Anne, how do you get yourselves into these messes.

“Oh! I’m so sorry! I was… I couldn’t..” I shut my mouth I couldn’t explain because I was still reeling from that fright, and I was quite shocked to see a man whom was supposed to be in London.

“No, I apologize for scaring you.” He said.

“I fear my heart will stop any minute now you frightened me so.” I chuckled.

“Oh, then sit, please!” Edward said rushing to the desk grabbing the chair with his damp coat hanging on the back.

“Oh, Edward, I’m so sorry for the intrusion. The storm was keeping me awake, and I thought I wouldn’t meet anyone… so I set out for adventure.” I chuckled. He sat at the edge of the bed and smiled. I felt my face turning redder by the minute.

“My carriage… turned around… the storm proved it more powerful. Poor mares were frightened to death by the lightning.” Edward said clearing his throat.

“Oh.” I stated.

“May I ask… as to what the pleasure was to see you here in the middle of the night?” Edward asked smiling. His hair and clothes were wet and I could see his shivers.

“Your aunt, she wouldn’t let us leave in this weather. If you would excuse me Edward, I fear that if I don’t leave soon, your wet clothes will take your health.” I said smiling.

“No, please don’t.” He said looking up from his hands. I sat back down in the seat slowly. The room was silent, apart from the rumbles of thunder and the soft pattering of the rain on the windows.

“I was going to pay you a visit tomorrow.” Edward said suddenly breaking the silence.

“What for?” I asked. He looked at me and then back at his hands.

“I’m leaving for London tomorrow afternoon but I felt awful for leaving before with giving a proper goodbye.” He said smiling.

“I understood perfectly. I’m not that important as for you to go out of your way to say goodbye Edward.” I laughed. He looked up at me shaking his head.

“You are of great importance.” He said his eyes shining in the candlelight. I felt my chest squeeze tightly. He stood up before crossing the room and knelt before me. He took my hands and just looked up at me.

“How do you do it?” He whispered to me.

“I don’t understand, what do you mean?” I asked looking at him confused.

“How do you entrap me so? It seems everything you do only makes me want to be closer to you.” He whispered his cold hands wrapped around mine. He lifted them to his lips and placed a kiss upon each knuckle.

“It’s not intentionally done. I’m sorry to have caused you the trouble.” I whispered smiling. He laughed quietly.

“Anne, I have come to understand anything’s trouble with you around.” He said his eyes flashing. I smiled and he stood.

“Do me the honor of taking a turn with me tomorrow in the gardens before I depart.” He said. I looked at him, and stood.

“It would be my pleasure.” I whispered. He lifted our hands once more kissing the back. “I’ll go now.” I walked to the door.

“Will you find your way back?” He asked. I stopped and realized that I had become lost.

“I…” I stopped and looked at him. “I don’t think so.” I laughed. He smiled.

“Please wait while I change and then I can escort you back to your room.” He said. I nodded and walked outside into the hallway. If we were caught this could be very problematic. It would be nothing less then a scandal. I could be ruined possibly forever. I began to fear of getting caught. I jumped at every creak, every moan of the old house. Edward’s door opened and I nearly dropped the candlestick.

“I seem to be making a frightening impression on you tonight.” Edward whispered. He lead me back down the hallway to the small stairs I had come down. He had taken the candlestick from me to I relied on his sleeve as means of direction. I felt his sleeve slip from my grasp and his hand take it’s place. His hand was warm now, and smooth like a stone taken from a river.

“Just a few more doors down I believe.” I whispered. Edward nodded and we continued to walk. We past my mother’s door where she was snorting and we both chuckled. Finally I had made my way back to my room. Edward stopped but didn’t let go of my hand.

“Anne, next time you have the urge to wander around a dark castle at night, do come find me. Perhaps the maids would have found you sleeping in the library tomorrow if you hadn’t peeked into my room.” Edward whispered softly.

“I apologize but, in my defense, I had believed you were gone, and had no idea that the room I had come upon was yours. I was just merely curious as what the room looked like. As for me sleeping in the library I am almost certain the small couch in there would have been plenty comfortable.” I said raising my eyebrows teasing him. He cracked a smile and laughed softly. He handed me my candlestick.

“Goodnight Anne.” He whispered softly. He placed his lips upon my forehead.

“Goodnight Edward.” I said smiling back. As he turned to walk way he stopped for a moment.

“I will see you in my dreams.” He said and walked away hurriedly. I stood outside my door and watched him go. I slipped back into my room and rushed to my bed. I threw myself into it and sighed and let out a fit of giggles.

“As will I.” I whispered to Edward.

The author's comments:
Last Chapter I have written, I'll post the next chapter when it's written.

Chapter Eight


“Oh Anne! Wake up! Wake up!” I heard my mother call from outside my door. She was rushed, and sounded frantic.

“Mama!” once I had jumped out of my bed to answer the door, “What’s the matter?” I asked.

“Nothing is the matter, only Mr. Bishop’s carriage had been delayed by the storm! He arrived back late last night! Oh Anne please hurry down for breakfast!” My mother said her face filled with joy. Of course she was insisting on him marrying me inside her head. I laughed as she walked hurriedly down the hall, unaware that I had already discovered Edward had returned late last night. A maid came moments later to help me dress. As my corset was laced up I wondered what Edward could have meant by him seeing me in his dreams. It could mean, that he likes dreaming of me because he has feelings for me; it could also mean that he has nightmares about me, and never wishes for me to see him. I fancied the first of the two options and suddenly felt brighter knowing the man I had fallen in love with dreamed about me last night. Once I felt like I was about to pass out from not being able to breathe from the tightness of the corset it was then tied and my dress was slipped on. It was the dress from yesterday seeing as it was the only garment I had for we had not planned to stay overnight. I followed the maid down the stairs and she took a right to the kitchen while I made my way to the dinning room. I entered the room, and Edward stood. He smiled at me largely as did I smile at him. He ignored the fact that a servant was reaching out to pull out a chair for me and did it himself before he sat down next to me. My mother and Lady Bishops glanced over at each other. I hid my smile and stared down at my plate. I filled my plate with eggs and bacon and began eating. It was moments later I felt Edwards hand brush against mine as we both reached out for a roll. He pulled back and allowed me to get one first. He looked over at me and sent me a look. I smiled as I buttered my roll. Lady Bishop suddenly began talking.


“I told you Edward not to leave! I knew it was going to rain, you should of listened to me.” Lady Bishop sighed. Edward laughed.

“It was quite sunny when we departed, I fear that the rain had something to do with my curse on carriages.” Edward said smiling. I laughed softly into my wine glass.

“Perhaps.” Lady Bishop eyed him. I felt Edward’s fingers brush against mine under the table. I flipped my palm over letting his smooth soft fingers trace the lines on my palm.

“Perhaps we should relocate to the drawing room?” Lady Bishop asked.

“Actually aunt. I was rather enticed by the cool morning outside, and was going to take a turn around the gardens. Perhaps you’d like to join me Miss Hartfield?” Edward asked me as his pinky slipped around mine.

“I would be delighted.” I said trying to sound surprised.

“Very well, Mrs. Hartfield, us old women will sit in the drawing room and gossip while the young go and enjoy the grounds.” Lady Bishop said smiling.

“Very well!” My mother said cheery. We stood up and Edward offered his arm to me which I took. While mother and Lady Bishop went to the drawing room, Edward and I went outside into the cool air. I donned my bonnet and Edward put on his hat and when we walked outside I inhaled deeply.

“I love being out of doors.” I whispered letting the morning breeze tickle my face.

“It’s lovely.” Edward agreed, “And so are you.” He said looking down at me.
I felt my blush creep up my neck.

“Thank you.” I whispered. We walked around the side of the house and into the garden. The flowers weren’t bloomed but just the green looked more than enough satisfying.

“Fall is fast approaching, soon there will be snow on the ground.” I said to Edward who nodded.

“I love winter,” He said looking back at me.

“Why? Most people loathe it.” I laughed.

“Because, the snow, just falls and looks so beautiful, and people’s cheeks and noses get so rosy and merry.” He said smiling reaching over and touching my nose.

“Yes, I agree with you on that.” I said smiling. He let down his arm and we laced our fingers together.

“Come this way, I want to show you something.” Edward said pulling on my hand as we walked away from the garden and now across a stretch of grass. We were heading toward a grove of trees.

“When I was young and I spent the summers here with my aunt, my uncle put up this old swing, I wonder if it is still here.” He said smiling. We began running and laughing each trying to get ahead of the other. My bonnet had slipped off and now hung loose at my neck but we were laughing and having to much fun for me to care. Edward pulled me over to a tree where a lone little swing hung.

“It’s here!” He said smiling. He walked over and sat on the board. He pulled on the ropes.

“I believe it’s safe.” He laughed.

“That sounded very convincing.” I said eyeing the old ropes.

“If you sit I will push you.” He said smiling and standing up. He walked over and lead me to the swing. I sat down and Edward pushed me in the swing not to high, but not low.

“I wonder if this is what it feels like to fly.” I said loudly as I swung past Edward who as leaned up against the tree now just watching me.

“I would suppose so.” Edward said nodding. I looked over at him and smiled.

“Have you ever wished to fly? Edward? To just, open your wings and leave everything?” I asked closing my eyes as the sun peeked out from behind a cloud and warmed my face. Edward sighed.

“Yes, I have.” He said as I passed him on the swing. I opened my eyes once more to see I wasn’t going high anymore. I looked up at him and he smiled.

“Have you ever been to London?” He asked suddenly. I shook my head.

“No, I have not.” I said.

“You should go.” He said nodding.

“From what you’ve told me of it, it’s plain awful, why would you wish me to go somewhere uncomfortable?” I laughed. He looked at me.

“I mean visit me, while I’m in school.” He said kneeling in front of the swing when it stopped. He took my hands. “Please visit me? My aunt is coming around Christmas time, it’d be lovely to see you.” He whispered looking me in the eyes. I blushed and glanced away trying to hide how much I loved this man.

“Of course, Edward. I will come with your aunt if she is so gracious to invite me.” I said smiling.

“Come without my aunt, I don’t care, I just need to see you while I’m in London.” He said.

“Well…” I started and fell silent. I did have an Aunt and Uncle in London who lived there.

“Yes?” He asked his eyes studying my face.

“My Uncle and Aunt live in London, I suppose I could call upon them, but Edward I couldn’t possibly tell them it’s because I’m visiting you! Do you realize what you have asked of me? If someone finds out that I’m going to London on the sole purpose of seeing you don’t you think that sounds… well a little strange?” I asked. Edward rubbed his eyes and sighed.

“You’re just visiting a friend.” He said shaking his head looking at me.

“A male friend Edward. A friend whom I call by his first name, as he calls me by my first name.” I said slowly looking at him.

“Dear god… I could ruin you.” He whispered backing away. I opened my mouth, but realized I couldn’t say anything. I had no idea what to do, what to say. I obviously could not tell him I loved him, he had just called me a friend. To him, I’m merely a friend. I swallowed. I dot up off the swing and began to walk away. Edward didn’t stop me.

“Wait! Anne!” He called out. I turned back and stopped. He walked over and looked down at me. He was breathing heavy.

“If I don’t do or say something now, I’ll get to London and kick myself the whole time.” He said.

“What are you talking about Mr. Bishop?” I asked going back to his formal title seeing as I had no right calling a man I was not engaged to by his first name. Edward looked down on me and I almost turned to walk away since he had not said anything in over a minute and a half. Then he bent down and kissed me. Yes! He kissed me right on the lips. I began to feel my blood rushing to my head, my knees feel rather weak, and my heart pounding furiously. My hands remained at my side seeing as Edward had wrapped his arms around me pulling me closer which only made my yarning for him increase. I wanted to be like this forever. I never wanted to leave his arms, I didn’t want his lips to break away from mine. His lips… so soft, so tender, and sweet. I could feel his warm breath on my cheeks and the smell of mint coming from him. When Edward broke away I felt as if I had just drunk a whole gallon of wine and was now wandering about the gardens of Bishop Hall. I looked up at the man who had just given me, not only the sweetest, wonderful moment in my life, but he had also became my first kiss. It was nothing as how I had pictured it, it was a million times greater.

“Anne?” He whispered. I was frozen, I could not speak, or move, and I could barely breathe let alone manage to whisper something. All I could think of was kissing him again, and that image was spinning round and round in my brain. I finally lifted my hand up to his face. He winced slightly. I think he thought I was going to slap him, instead I placed me hand on his cheek and stared up at him.

“What was that for?” I whispered finally able to move my tingling lips. Edward chuckled and looked down at me. He kissed me again, short, but sweet then spoke, “Anne, surely you must know.” He whispered his fingers tracing my lips.

“I wish you could stay here with me.” I whispered back my hand falling from his face, placing it on his chest. He pressed his forehead against mine.

“I wish I could too. The sooner I get this schooling over the faster I can inherit and start my practice.” He whispered back looking at me with his eyes sparkling.

“It’s going to be dreadful with you gone! What shall I do if Rose worsens? Or perhaps I should fall ill! I cannot trust the nearest doctor anymore since he did so poorly with Rose!” I said looking up at him. Edward shushed me.

“Oh please Anne, please do not put those dreadful things in my mind. Do everything you can to keep well. I don’t know what I’d do if anything should happen to you. I would feel as if it was my fault for leaving you.” He whispered back his eyes studying my face as if to catch some sort of clue if I looked sick or not.

“I feel fine Edward.” I whispered back and his face seemed to find its reassurance. Edward sighed and took my hands.

“Since you know of my feelings will you please, please do everything you can as to see me?” he asked.

“Sir, you do not know my feelings yet!” I said looking at him smiling. He looked back shocked.

“Are they different from mine?” He asked. I smiled and leaned up and kissed him.

“No, no they are not.” I said grinning. He laughed and we started walking once more. “So, what time does your carriage leave?” I asked him. Edward looked down at the grass and sighed loudly.

“Far more sooner then I would hope.” He said looking back at me saddened.

“I’m sorry.” I said.

‘Do not apologize for something that’s not your fault. I’m just pleased, it was delayed and I got to see you before I left.” He said squeezing my hand. I squeezed it back and smiling.

“I am too. I must tell you that I thought my heart was breaking when I read your note. I had just gotten to know you, and alas you were leaving me. I was scared you wouldn’t come back, if you somehow found to like London, or found someone who made you want to stay in London.” I said looking over at Edward studying his handsome profile.

Chapter Nine


The carriage ride home was quiet. I stared out the window thinking of Edward while my mother looked at me. I felt her eyes judging my hair, my dress, and of course my posture.

“Sit up straight darling.” My mother said. Just as I had suspected.

“Mother,” I began as I sat up tall, “I wish to spend the holidays with my Aunt and Uncle in London. It’s been so long since we last met, and I know Mary is dying to see me.” I said. My mother’s eyes narrowed.

“Is that the only reason?” She asked.

“That, and I would love to see London. I hear there’s no place like it.” I replied back trying to keep a straight face. She was already suspecting me no doubt about me being so close with Edward.

“Are you sure it won’t be something or rather someone else you would love to see?” Mama asked.

“What do you mean by that Mama?” I asked.

“Do not play dumb Anne. You know very well whom I am speaking of, and if that is your reasoning I will not allow it!” Mama said.

“Mama! Please! You truly believe I want to spend the holidays with my extended family only to ignore them and gallivant around with Mr. Bishop?” I laughed. My mother remained silent her eyes judging me. “That’s popostrous!” She glared at me, and I shifted in my seat uneasy.

“I know not your reasonings, but you best remember, you are not engaged. He has no fortune yet to speak of, owns no property; for the home he lives in belongs to his aunt, and until the day Lady Bishop is lain in her grave, god bless her soul, he will not see a single penny of title of Lady Bishop’s inheiritance. Lady Bishop is a very strong woman, and god would only hope she lives a long life. I will not have you skipping about with this man until the moment is more serious. Until then, you will not do anything rash!” My mother said looking at me from across the carriage. I felt like tugging out my hair, and kicking my feet out of frustration. Why! Just the other day she was giggling about the idea that I was in love with Edward, now she seemed as if she would wring my neck if I should repeat those words.

“So, once Lady Bishop is dead, Mr. Bishop is then good company? Mama! He is a friend, and I want to visit my family. If he should somehow hear I am in town and pays a visit I will not turn him away, but you must know it will not be me who goes in search of him. I have every reason to believe that if this should happen it does not mean I am ‘skipping’ about with him. Besides, if you did not approve of our friendship with him then why were you so eager for us to meet and fall in love in the beginning?” I asked me temper flaring up.

“Why Anne! You know I never wish death upon anyone! The matters of before, it has been clearly show Lady Bishop does not prefer you to be her heir’s wife. Miss Livingston, the little gossip of Kent! For heavens sake! Imagine the headlines now: Heir to fortune marries a run away bride! I do not understand! She seen the connection between you two, but now he is no longer for you to love! I don’t want to see you get hurt.” My mother sighed, then pulled off her bonnet and crossed her arms. I laughed and airy laugh and my mother looks at me shocked.

“Mama, if this is what’s been worrying you so much I think we had better look at the facts. Mr. Bishop is writing to me, not anyone else. He’s asked me to be close with him at a dance, not anyone else, and he’s told me twice that he happens to like me very much. I do believe if he was searching for girls to marry he wouldn’t be wasting his time on an plaid old maid like me.” I replied. My mother’s jaw had fallen.

“He has told you he likes you?!” She asked her giggly and happy mood coming back once more. She began to look like the version of mama that simply adored Mr. Bishop.

“Yes, mama.” I replied. I grumbled quietly to myself for revealing such a fact that revealed so much.

“Dear Lord! I knew he was a fine gentleman and had a special attachment to you! I just knew it!” Mama said sitting back in her seat looking rather pleased with herself. I sighed and rolled my eyes. I watched the large trees pass us by. The carriage turned down our drive and we rattled our way up to our front door. Stephan our footman, opened the carriage door and helped my mother and I out. Upon taking my hand to assist me his face turned a dark shade of red. The servants were always teasing him about having a small crush on me. Seeing this latest blush, I was beginng to believe them!

“Thank you.” I said. He bowed and silently opened our front door for us. I took off my bonnet, gloves, and shawl. I gave them to Lydia who smiled at me warmly.

“Thank you my dear. Is Mr. Hartfield out?” My mother asked seeing his coat and cane gone.

“I do believe he went to the shop ma’am. He mentioned something about Mr. Harrison coming back with him for dinner.” Lydia said as she took mama’s things.

“Oh dear! I have only planned a normal three course meal tonight!” My mother said panicked.

“Ma’am I have alerted the cook and with your approval is prepared to make two more dishes for this evening.” Lydia beamed.

“Oh Lydia! What would we do without you?” My mother said relieved.

“Thank you ma’am.” Lydia said smiling.

Lydia had always been very helpful. She’d been our lady’s maid since I had been young. Lydia and I were the same age, her mother had been my mother’s Lady’s maid before her, and we had sort of I guess grown up together. Lydia had always been the one I told everything to. I know it’s a terrible thing to have such a relationship with a lower class woman, but she had no choice to be born in that class! Just as I had no choice to be born wealthy. When Lydia’s mother was alive I remember us seeking outside and playing, we had no idea back then of social classes, to us we were just girls living in the same house. It wasn’t until we were in our teens when we realized the situation. Now, we keep our conversations behind close doors.

“I wonder what business there could be at the shop? Your father didn’t mention a new shipment of any sort.” Mama said.

“Oh, who knows, perhaps they are taking inventory?” I offered. My mother nodded, but still looked quiet worried.

“Do you remember when young James was around here all the time? James was like the son we never could have.” My mother whispered suddenly. Lydia winced at James’s name. She had always had a crush on him, but due to the social classes, James had never given her the time of day.

“Oh mama!” I whispered hugging her. My mother laughed and released me from our hug.

“It should be nice to see him here again. With the store being so busy it’s lucky we ever get to see him let alone your father.” my mother chuckled. She sighed, “I better go talk to the cook.” She walked off to go approve dinner and I stood in the foyer looking around.

James Harrison is four years older than me. When we were young we’d play together. When we got a little older James would read to me. We’d go to my father’s library and he read me fairytales, about dragons, princes, and princesses. James was always handsome. Even when we were younger his green eyes had always lit up like the stars. I admit I was nervous to see my old friend. It had been many years since he had dined with us. I guess I had every reason to be nervous, after all, James had been my childhood crush.

I walked up the stairs to my room and changed out of my yellow dress to a dark blue one with white lace; very respectable, and very elegant. I took a deep breath and sat down at my desk to watch for Papa and James.

As I sat I began to wonder about Edward. Had he made it to London? Had he encountered carriage troubles again? I smiled as I pictured him once again stuck on the side of the road with a faulty carriage. He had the worst luck! I also began wondering how tired he must be, he has chosen a carriage that went all day with no stops along the way to get there faster.

The sound of Papa’s carriage pulled me out of my day dream. I came out of my room and went downstairs and waited in the drawing room with mama.

Moments later, Papa and James came into the room.

“Oh James! It’s so wonderful to see you!” My mother said rushing over and began fretting about his hair, and cravat being straight. She did all this while hugging him and smiling. I stood back. I was unbelievably shy for some reason. James let mama fret over him knowing it made her happy. Once mama calmed down I approached, smiling. James bowed and then took my hand.

“Anne, it’s nice to see you again. We seen each other at the dance but you seemed very entertained too much to talk.” He said his eyes smiling down at me.

“Yes, she was. Wasn’t she!?” My father snorted. The men began to laugh. I tried to hide my crimson blush by looking away but James had noticed.

“Oh dear, we’ve made her blush!” He teased. This is what I get for having a stand in older brother. The men began laughing louder at my no response.

“Boys! Leave poor Anne alone! Mr. Bishop happens to be a very agreeable man! I wouldn’t be surprised if he liked her very much!” Mama said smiling. I groaned out loud.

“Mama!” I sighed.

“He’d be a fool for not liking her. What’s there not to like? He’s smart.” James said taking a seat on our couch. I felt my blush return.

“Thank you James, you’re too kind. However, mama, you should not say such things! People will began to believe I’m a pompous flirt!” I said. James laughed and him and my father lit cigars.

“Well Anne, you are a pompus flirt, I see you at dances, breaking men’s hears with your eyes.” James teased. I felt my chest tighten with anger. “How dare he call me a pompous flirt! I’m not the one that goes around making girls bat their eyes and swoon.” I thought.

“I am not James Harrison! Take that back!” I gasped. My family were laughing loudly. I began walking to the door to leave.

“Oh Anne! You know I was just teasing you!” James said.

“Teasing isn’t supposed to hurt people’s feelings.” I replied and walked out of the room. Now I remembered why I had never confessed my love for him. He was a git.

Chapter Ten


I growled as I walked out of the house and into the garden. If Edward was here he’d never make fun of me so! I was not a pompous flirt, and just for my family to joke about it hurt my feelings. I stomped around the garden until I reached my favorite bench. I sat down and stared at the darkening sky.

“Why did you leave me?” I whispered, sending that tiny little sentence through my heart to Edward.

I felt my chest tighten up. I was in love. I loved Edward more than anything. A thought popped into my happy thoughts of Edward. Mama had been right. Until Lady Bishop passed away there was no way Edward and I could be together. Who knows how long Lady Bishop would live? Would we still love each other when the moment came? Or worse, Would I still love him, but he become indifferent? I began to feel dread. I had never known love could cause not only pleasure, but stress, worry, and fear. One thing was for certain. Edward could not propose to me for a very long time. What if something happened before then? What would I do? I couldn’t marry someone else, not when I loved Edward so much! I rested my head in my hands. I was so wrapped up into my thoughts I had not seen James until he spoke.

“Anne, please come back. I’m sorry for teasing you.” He said. I looked up slowly. He motioned to the bench asking to sit down. I scooted over and let him sit beside me. He sighed and looked up at the sky. I pushed my dreadful thoughts from my mind and tried to look normal, but I knew later tonight they would revist me in my nightmares. “Your parents sent me after you. It’s dangerous for a woman to walk about outside at night.” James said quietly. We sat in silence for a good minute.

“I don’t know why that bothered me so.” I whispered. James looked over at me.

“I was teasing, and went to far. Anne you’re far from being a pompous flirt. Please, please accept my deepest apology. I should know better than insult a lady even in the attempt to be witty or funny.” James replied. I nodded and accepted his apology. “You love him don’t you?” James whispered staring at my face.

“I have no idea what you could be talking about.” I said, James snorted loudly and I ignored it.

“Oh Anne, you know exactly who I’m speaking of, you can see it all over your face.” James whispered. I looked down at my hands and picked at my fingernails.

“It’s not proper to reveal ones feelings before finding out if the other shares the admiration or no admiration.” I replied back simply.

“Then how will the other ever find out, if you do not tell? If he should not tell and then you both shall never know. It’s quiet sad when this happens.” James said quietly looking from my face to his hands slowly.

“James?” I whispered utterly confused.

“I loved you Anne. For the longest time, but now seeing you as happy as you are with Edward. I could have never competed with that.” James whispered, jumbled, and very quickly.

“Oh James! But why didn’t you say something!” I asked him shocked by this new discovery.

“Because it’s not polite to reveal ones affections without knowing the other’s affections?” He chuckled looking at me.

“James, I’m so sorry.” I whispered turning to look at him. He looked over at me and tucked a curl behind my ear.

“Don’t be. It’s be quiet a long time since my feelings have stirred like this inside me. I’ve moved on, or at least I thought I have. I fell out of love with the fear, you never loved me, or never would have me. I have moved on but there’s not a day where I don’t wonder…” James trailed off, he lifted my chin with his thumb.

“Would you like to know?” I whispered.

“No, never. What ever the answer is, both would cause me great pain. You are in love with another, to find out now… yes or no, would be heartbreaking.” He reliped. I watched him as he dropped his hand and carefully studied my face. He looked away suddenly and blinked a few times. I didn’t know what to say, so I remained silent, waiting for James to begin talking once more.

“Anne?” He whispered looking at me.

“Yes James?” I asked him softly trying to avoid his eyes.

“Have you ever wondered about us? Wondered what we’d be like if we were?” He asked slowly, and hesitantly.

“On a number of occasions, I often wondered what it was like to kiss you.” I said blushing my face turning a horribly dark red. James’s eyebrows shot up in surprise.

“Really?” He asked frowning in wonder. I nodded a reply and he began to laugh. I almost stood up and ran away once again until he stopped laughing and took my hands.

“Anne, I know you are in love with another. I know this is a great thing of me to ask of you, but Anne, please, please let me kiss you.” He whispered searching my eyes for an any form of an answer. I stared at his cautious face. His strong jaw, tight with suspense, his chin lowered so his eyes could bare into mine, and a his long locks of brown hair fell into those baring eyes. I pursed my lips and wiggled them slightly and he began to lean back taking that as a no.

“I suppose…since I have always wondered.” I whispered. James looked back at me a huge grin upon his face. The air around us was awkward, it hung there unsure to move or stay perfectly still, sort of like the two of us were right now. James twitchily leaned closer and closer, slowly in the chance that I would change my mind. When he was close enough I could feel his warm breath on my face, my eye lids sunk lazily down awaiting his lips to press against mine. It was a moment that seemed to last forever, waiting for him to lean in a last inch… when at last I felt his bottom lip brush against mine, and a soft exhale across my cheeks. He was now more confident, and leaned in once more, kissing me fully, and sweetly. His hands found mine, and he gently squeezed them. I kissed him back, but… in my mind I was thinking about when I would begin to feel the way I had when Edward had kissed me. Where was the stomach turning, lip tingling, legs wobbling, drunk stupor that Edward has intoxicated me with? I had once loved James, wouldn’t that mean I should feel something? Anything?

James took one last kiss before leaning away. We remained quiet for a minute or so. We dared not look at one another until we were both positive we had time to recover.

“Anne.” James sighed. I looked over at him casiously, “Did you feel anything?” He asked crumpling his face up in an unpleasant way, almost looking like a cringe.

“Being honest, James, I felt nothing.” I whispered trying to fathom why I didn’t feel even the tinest thing.

“Oh thank heavens.” James said relaxing.

“You felt nothing also?!” I replied shocked.

“Yes! I was so confident in my kissing skills I may have turned you from your Mr. Bishop back to me and I would have not the same feelings.” He chuckled. I laughed and shook my head.

“You never cease to amaze me James Harrison.” I laughed looking over at him.

“So I am a good kisser!” He laughed.

“No, no you are not.” I replied back serious. James’s face fell and I began to laugh at him. For once, I wasn’t the subject of the teasing.

“Oh, Anne. I just, I just want to thank you. Now that is out of the way, I just feel like, I can really move on, that there’s nothing between us.” James sighed looking at the sky.

“ANNE? MR. HARRISON?” Lydia yelled from the back doorway. I seen her take a step off the porch and begin to head in our direction. James stood and offered his arm which I took. We began walking back to the house until we met Lydia.

“Your mother and father were getting very worried.” Lydia said falling in step behind us.

“I’m sorry we took so long, perhaps I should of grabbed you and threw me over my shoulder like a sack of potates and brought you back instead of sitting and talking for a while.” James laughed. The wind picked up and whipped my dress bottom around. I shivered feeling the cool night air caress my arms. Gooseflesh rose on my arms and I rubbed then fast trying to put some warmth back into them. James took off his jacket and placed it around my shoulders. “No wonder your family was worried, you run out with no hat, or shawl, you’ll catch your death out here. Please let’s walk faster?” He said. I quickened my pace for him to match, and soon we were back to the house. James removed his hat, and took his jacket.

“James?” My mother called from the drawing room. She poked her head out from the doorway and watched us come in.

“Oh Anne! How could you run away like that! What if something happened? You could have been killed!” My mother said over exaggerating.

“Please, lay all the blame on me, I should not have teased her so. It was wrong of me.” James said and calming my mother down.

“My nerves were so jumpy I couldn’t hold still the whole time you were gone.” My mother said to James.

“I am alright mama. I’m perfectly fine, I was only in the garden.” I said.

“What if that dog had come back?! Or a run away attacked you! You never know these kinds of things!” My mother said shaking her head and hugging me. I felt as if she was over reacting.

“Mama, that dog is gone, he’s not gonna bother me. It was only a dog.” I said rolling my eyes. I wish I had never told that stupid lie, now it’s always going to backfire on me. Watch, twenty years later I’ll return home for a visit and mama won’t let me outside in fear of that dog. I sighed as she realeased me and James frowned.

“Anne are you feeling well? You look pale and tired.” He asked. He winked at me when my mother wasn’t looking at him, and examining me. He was getting me out of her fuss!


“Yes, I think I do feel faint, actually.” I said blink my eyes a few times and lifting my hand to my cool cheek.

“Oh! I knew you’d catch your death! What am I supposed to tell my sister when your trip to London is delayed due to an illness! She’ll think I’m not capable of being a mother, she’s always thought she was better than me. Anne, you are leaving tomorrow like it or not, so go upstairs and rest.” My mother said. I would have gone up the stairs in a heartbeat, but I couldn’t move from shock.

“I’m going to London?” I asked excitedly.

“I sent the letter when we got home. I admit it is a good opportunity for you to meet new people and to see your family once more. Even if it’s the off season, I’m sure there are pleanty of people my brother could introduce to you.” My mother said. I gasped and hugged her tightly and smiled big. James eyed me with a smile on his face.

“Ma’am dinner is served.” Lydia said walking into the foyer.

“Oh of course! Anne get upstairs, I’ll have Lydia bring something up, now that you mention it James, she does look pale.” My mother said. I sighed and walked up into my room.

It was dark in there, the sun had set just under the trees for them to cast eerie shadows on my walls. I sat down at my desk and pulled out Edward’s last letter. I sighed just looking at it. I didn’t read the words, but just his handwriting made me smile. It was so beautiful, curly, and handsome just like him. I had promised my mother, that I would not tell Edward of me coming to London. I had hopes my uncle would introduce me to many, and the word would get around his niece was in from Kent. Perhaps then Edward would find me. Maybe I could give him a hint that I was coming, perhaps tell him I will soon be traveling and may not get his letters. Or, maybe my mother want’s me to visit my Aunt and Uncle for the holidays. No, because that would be telling him I was coming to London. Maybe I would just have to let fate take me on this journey. Surely I would see him in due time. Perhaps we would run into each other, during a day in the city. Whatever the meeting was, I was sure my chest would be tight with longing until I seen him once again.

There was a small knock at my door.

“Come in.” I called out stuffing Edward’s letter into my desk and turning in my chair to watch Lydia walk in with a tray.

“Why! Miss. Anne! You look in perfect health!” Lydia teased.

“Lydia, we have told each other a great many secretive things over the years correct?” I asked her. Lydia took a seat on the edge of my bed.

“Yes, Anne where are you going with this?” She asked me. I pressed my lips together and looked down at my hands.

“I’m going to London to see Edward Bishop.” I said fast and quietly. Lydia’s jaw dropped.

“Anne! You can’t! It’s a scandal! You’ll be ruined!” She cried out softly.

“Lydia! I will be with my Aunt and Uncle! But, if I happen to.. Run into him then I wouldn’t object, but he’s asked me to come. This morning at Lady Bishop’s we took a turn in the garden, and he asked me to visit him. He loves me Lydia! He loved me! I have never felt this way about anyone, it’s like I’m a fish being drawn to water after being taken out for so long. Lydia, he kissed me!” I said putting my hands up to my cheeks. Lydia just stared at me shocked.

“Oh Anne, I know you were never one for the rules, but these rules are big rules to break! Something could happen! You are not married, engaged or even courting! Well, I suppose you are secretly courting, but Anne, he has no fortune or land!” Lydia replied. I looked at her wincing.

“I know that’s why it is so difficult. He will inheirit Bishop fortune, but now all he has is a small salary, and that’s not enough to provide for.” I whispered looking at her sad.

“Anne, perhaps you should be looking closer than you think for love.” Lydia said slowly.

“What do you mean?” I asked confused by her obsevation.

“Mr. Harrison is a very agreeable man, I think he likes you very much. I over heard him and your father today. God forgive me for eavesdropping, but James said something about an offer of marriage and you father agreed.” Lydia said pressing her lips together. I looked around the room shocked.

“Lydia! That can’t be we just…” I stopped and looked up at her.

“I believe he loves you. Perhaps he may be lying to you in order to protect your feelings, or ever protect his own.” Lydia replied. I bit my lower lip.

“Lydia, he told me he had once loved me but now, he does not. He knows I’m in love with Mr. Bishop.” I said slowly. Lydia closed her eyes and hung her head.

“Oh Anne.” She said.

“I need some rest, my head is suddenly spinning.” I said. Lydia helped me into my nightgown and bed and left the room. I laid in bed, staring at the ceiling. Surely James was not still in love with me. He was so relieved to have not felt something with our kiss! I closed my eyes with the notion that James Harrison was no longer in love with me.

Chapter Eleven


A knock at me door woke me up.

“Anne?” My mother called. I sat up in bed.

“Come in mother!” I replied rubbing the sleep from my eyes and stretching.

“There’s a letter for you. From London.” My mother said looking at me. I contained my happiness and took the letter calmly. My mother watched me as she walked out of my room. I remained silent but once the door shut I quickly opened the letter from Edward. It was written on yellow paper, gold print of vines, and flowers around the edges and the smell of Edward drifted from the paper. I dropped the letter almost emidatly. He had written a love letter. I covered my mouth with my hands to hide not only my shock but my smile and loud intake of breath. I tried calming myself, taking deep breaths, one after another but nothing seemed to be working. Finally I gave in and snatched the letter up looking at his hand writing.

Dearest Anne,

Oh, have you no idea what I felt upon getting here and finding that letter of yours? It felt as if you hadn’t left me, like I had found a piece of you in this dreary place. I now carry it with me everywhere even if it shows no form of your feelings, but just knowing it came from you brings me the greatest comfort. Anne, I wish you were here, just in my arms. London is distracting yes, but not distracting enough when you are in love with the most beautiful girl in the world. I was walking in the street last night, when I arrived, and I seen you, well I thought I had seen you. I almost had run over and took the poor woman in my arms until she turned and I seen it was not you. I see you everywhere Anne. At the shops, I see bonnets that remind me of you, flowers in the park that have nothing against your beauty, and hear music that remind me of our waltz that send the town in a tizzy. Every time I close my eyes I feel that instant moment before I left when we shared that kiss in the garden, and it just brings the deepest ache in my chest for you. I feel rather silly writing this but I have to let you know these feelings I’m having, because I have no one here to share them with. Missing you is just driving me mad. I still often wonder, when and how you entrapped me so. I figure, it was the moment we ran into each other looking at the sky, and upon your eyes falling upon me I noticed that your blue eyes were deeper and more vast then the sky above. You keep me guessing Anne, guessing what you’ll say next, what you’ll do next, and I just love it. Hurry to get here, Anne, the longer I’m parted from you, the more I fall deeper into this love. I have to go, I have a class tomorrow morning and it’s early. I love you Anne, body and soul.

With every ounce of love I have,
Edward.



I fell backwards in my bed, pressing the note against my chest and laughing so quietly so no one would hear me. How in the world am I lucky enough to have someone like this? Oh! I had to go show this to Rose. I dressed myself and rushed out of my room. I couldn’t help but contain my happiness upon entering the breakfast room. My father raised his eyebrows at me and my mother look quiet shocked.

“Anne? Are you feeling well?” She asked cautiously.

“Yes, I feel fine.” I said smiling. My father lifted his paper back up and continued reading.

“We received news from your Aunt. They will be expecting you sometime tomorrow evening. Since you’re leaving today that is.” My mother said buttering a roll.

“Oh! I have nothing packed!” I said.

“I’ll send Lydia up after breakfast.” My mother said smiling as she buttered a piece of toast.

“Oh, thank you mama. I would like to go visit Rose before leaving. I hope she’s feeling better.” I replied.

“Oh! Anne, if you could, could you take this letter to Mr. Greensburg?” My father asked handing me a worn letter.

“Yes Papa!” I said smiling. I felt my parent’s eyes on me, judging if I had suddenly gone mad in the short time they had seen me last. I couldn’t’ help but keep a smile on my face.

“Anne, What was Mr. Bishop’s news from London?” My mother asked. I bit at my lips to keep a huge smile off my face.

“He just wanted to let us know he made it to London well. It was a short, boring letter.” I lied. My mother eyed me. Could she tell I was lying? She shrugged, “Perhaps he’s busy with school.” She said taking my words to heart. I felt relief flood through me. I finished my breakfast quickly.

“If I may be excused?” I asked. My father nodded and I almost ran from the room. Lydia silently helped me into my overcoat, and bonnet. I could feel her disapproving of this trip fuming off of her.

“Please do not be angry with me.” I whisper to her. She looked up at me her eyes bright.

“I am not mad. I am just worried about you. I don’t blame you, I know what it’s like to be in love Anne. I know this is what you feel in your heart is right. I just want you to be careful and don’t do anything rash.” She whispered.

“You’re in love?” I whispered looking at her shocked. Her face turned a deep red.

“Why else was I so nervous when Mr. Harrison came?” She whispered and then pushed me out of the door with a nervous giggle. I laughed as I walked down the path to the drive. The wind was cold it stung my cheeks and whipped my hair around. I could see the late blooming roses in our garden turning brown and dying. The walk to Rose’s house seemed to be longer than usual, maybe it was because I was so excited to tell her of my new letter, and of me leaving for London today. I had finally made it to the end of her drive and the door opened when I reached the porch.

“Anne!” Rose said looking surprised and happy.

“You’re out of bed! Rose!” I said shocked. Rose sighed and I heard her mother yell to her to get back inside.

“Come in!” She said smiling.

“Rose, you need to stay in bed, if you don’t you’ll never get better! Remember what Edward said.” I whispered quietly. She sighed and I helped her climb the stairs. She sat down on the edge of her bed.

“What are you doing here?” She asked smiling. I stood up and walked over to her bedroom door. It was open and I looked into the hallway. It was empty but I closed the door to keep people from overhearing. Rose looked confused. I reached into my pocket and pulled out Edward’s letter.

“I got a letter from Edward today.” I whispered.

“A letter?” She asked confused.

“A love letter.” I said smiling. Rose’s eye widened and she let out a gasp.

“Let me see!” She squealed and took the letter from my hands. She quickly opened the letter. I watched her eyes streak across the page. Her hand came up to her mouth and she began smiling and laughing.

“My lord Anne! He’s head over heels in love!” She said.

“As am I! Oh, Rose… I never thought I’d find this. I’m so scared.” I whispered sitting down in the chair next to her bed.

“Scared?” She asked.

“Rose, I’m leaving for London today.” I said. Rose’s mouth falls open.

“What?! Anne! Does your parents know? Are you running away!?” She asked shocked.

“No! No! No!” I said cutting her off, “Nothing like that, I’m going to visit my aunt and uncle, but I’m very much hoping I might run into Edward. I have promised my mother not to tell Edward I am coming, because obviously that would be a scandal. But that’s not what I’m scared of. Rose… I’m so in love with him. The problem is… we have no way we can be together. He’s still in school, and until he either gets out of school, or his aunt gives him his inheirtance he has no fortune, no property, no way to support anyone… and I’m scared if something should happen to papa… I would have to marry quick to take care of my family.” I whispered.

“Oh Anne!” Rose whispered setting the letter down and hugging me as tears fell from my eyes. “Anne, I won’t lie to you and tell you everything will be just fine, because I do not know if it will. We can only hope. But whatever happens the love you and Edward have will never change. Perhaps everything else will be perfect and you will marry and you’ll live happily ever after, but if not, you cannot change that.” She whispered, “Live for the moment now and perhaps in your case, live only for today and make all of the moments you have last.” I looked up at her and nodded. We fell silent, I didn’t know what more to say.

“Well I will miss you Anne.” Rose said smiling. I laughed and stood and hugged her.

“I will write to you as soon as I can.” I said to her. She nodded and I kissed her on the forehead.

“Goodbye Anne.” She whispered as I walked from the room.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 9 comments.


on Aug. 27 2011 at 6:41 pm
FaithSnyder16 ELITE, Metamora, Ohio
180 articles 8 photos 97 comments

Favorite Quote:
Write what you know, and dream of. - Jane Austen
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift
Just Keep Swimming! Just Keep Swimming! - Ellen DeGengeres as Dory

The rest of the chapters are up!!! enjoy!

on Aug. 18 2011 at 2:58 pm
FaithSnyder16 ELITE, Metamora, Ohio
180 articles 8 photos 97 comments

Favorite Quote:
Write what you know, and dream of. - Jane Austen
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift
Just Keep Swimming! Just Keep Swimming! - Ellen DeGengeres as Dory

Great! I'm really glad you liked it. 

on Aug. 18 2011 at 2:58 pm
FaithSnyder16 ELITE, Metamora, Ohio
180 articles 8 photos 97 comments

Favorite Quote:
Write what you know, and dream of. - Jane Austen
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift
Just Keep Swimming! Just Keep Swimming! - Ellen DeGengeres as Dory

ahhaha :)) thanks :) 

on Aug. 18 2011 at 7:24 am
DirectingGabs GOLD, Texas, Texas
19 articles 1 photo 65 comments

Favorite Quote:
\"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.\"

Okie dokie!!! And sorry bout your scrambeled eggs haha(: Get better!

AnnieHay said...
on Aug. 17 2011 at 9:57 pm
i definitly will!

on Aug. 17 2011 at 9:17 pm
FaithSnyder16 ELITE, Metamora, Ohio
180 articles 8 photos 97 comments

Favorite Quote:
Write what you know, and dream of. - Jane Austen
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift
Just Keep Swimming! Just Keep Swimming! - Ellen DeGengeres as Dory

Thanks so much for reading! and leaving a comment! I love hearing feedback (expecially nice awesome feedback like yours ;) haha) I have promised another chapter in due time so I hope you check it out when it gets posted!!! :))

on Aug. 17 2011 at 9:15 pm
FaithSnyder16 ELITE, Metamora, Ohio
180 articles 8 photos 97 comments

Favorite Quote:
Write what you know, and dream of. - Jane Austen
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift
Just Keep Swimming! Just Keep Swimming! - Ellen DeGengeres as Dory

OMG! Thanks so much! I have more chapters! I'll post the next chapter asap.. I'm kinda sick now.. so I don't think I can do it like properly lol (My brain feels like scrambled eggs lol) but I will for sure post the next chapter! I PROMISE!

on Aug. 17 2011 at 4:48 pm
DirectingGabs GOLD, Texas, Texas
19 articles 1 photo 65 comments

Favorite Quote:
\"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.\"

Oh darn! That was really good, I want another chapter(: I love your style of writing it so... elegant. Anyways, write more!:D

AnnieHay said...
on Aug. 17 2011 at 1:09 pm
I enjoyed reading this! I hope you continue!