Whispers From the Heart | Teen Ink

Whispers From the Heart

June 6, 2011
By dancingirl BRONZE, Snohomish, Washington
More by this author
dancingirl BRONZE, Snohomish, Washington
4 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
“To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.”


The summer sun shined brightly on my skin and the wind dance in between my curls as I walked through the faded grey streets with my mother by my side. We walked slowly, in beat with each other, as we window-shopped for the perfect graduation gift. Damian, my boyfriend, bought me a one and a half karat diamond ring from Tiffany’s that says “Bethany McCrud, I’ll love you always” and gave it to me the day we graduated to remind me that our love will always be there, even when I got off to Yale for college. Now, two weeks after graduation my mom and I still haven’t found the gift of my dreams.

As we passed by a dress store I caught a glimpse of myself. My hair a dark burgundy was loosely curled just past my shoulders and almost gives off a purple glow. In the window my features stood out drastically. A heart shaped face, high Cherokee cheekbones and naturally tanned skin that I got from my tall, dark, and handsome Indian father. Emerald gems for eyes that I got from my plain, pale, girl next door kind of pretty, mother. Though my lips look like two faded rose pedals they frame my perfect white teeth with ease. The olive green strapless dress compliments my hourglass figure flawlessly. With heels I am barely 5’7’’, but in flats I just reach the average height of 5’4’’.

My mom squealed just ahead of me, as she stared into a window. I rushed over to her side to find out what she got all excited about.

“What are you squealing about Mom?” I asked sweetly.

“How would you like to go on an all expenses paid cruise for your graduation gift?” Her face was full of glee as she asked me.

“But Damian and I are already going to Paris next month before I leave for Yale?” I replied.

“Let’s at least check it out and you can think about it. I need a vacation too.” She said with a huge smile that covered her face.

I rolled my eyes and opened the door to the travel agency. We looked around at the newly renovated office. The wood flooring glowed as if it was just polished that morning. Pale shades of blues and greens covered the walls but were covered by pictures and paintings from all around the world. There were three granite desks spread apart around the room, all but one decorated with personal belongings. One had pictures of family members and a calendar filled with dates. Another only had pictures of a girl with short shaggy black hair and a tall pale man in places around the world. It also had a globe and artifacts. The last desk had nothing on it but papers to be filled out.

A woman came out of a door that said employees only. She was probably 5’8” with golden blonde hair and tan skin.

“Hello, I’m Stefanie Morelly. Is there some place you’re interested in going ladies?” She spoke in an uptight way that made me think that she thought she was better then everyone else.

My mother looked her up and down before she replied, “Well yes, my name is Dehbra McCrud. My daughter just graduated from high school a couple weeks ago and we were looking for a graduation present when I saw your sign that you were offering cruises to South America?”

“Ah, yes the Royal Caribbean cruise to South American. That’s a lovely trip. What type of room are you looking for and when would you like to take it?”

“When my husband and I took a cruise to Hawaii we got a Sky Loft Suite and we found it wasn’t big enough for the both of us, so I think that we would like to book a Royal Loft Suite instead this time.”

“Okay, well I would recommend going in December during her winter break because it will be their summer in South America.”

I barged into the conversation, “Actually, do you have something I could do now?” My mother shot a look like she could just kill me for even asking.

Stefanie looked down at her papers before she spoke then said, “Well there is one thing. It cost eight thousand dollars and you’ll arrive there at midnight and you’ll be able to stay for three days.”

“What is it?” I replied.

“It’s a time machine. You go in, put on a mask and it will transport you to a place you can be needed. You know, make a difference for the better. And being that your eighteen you can do it without permission. Plus it hasn’t been opened to the public yet, so you’ll be one of the first people to go there.” She handed me some papers to look over and I took them.

“Excuse me!” My mother yelled. “My daughter is not going to a place back in time where they might not have phones and she nor will I even know where she’s going. No, that is not an option.” She got up and motioned for us to leave. I got up and followed her.

The entire way home my mother wouldn’t even look at me. Not even at dinner that night. She went to bed early that night around 8:30 p.m. My father locked himself in his office to work on a case from his law firm. Knowing that they were all busy doing their own thing I slipped the papers Stefanie gave me out of my purse and dialed her number looking one more time at the warning label at the bottom of the paper reading:

WARNING IF YOU ARE NOT SAFELY SECURE IN THE TIME MACHINE BY MIDNIGHT AT THE END OF THE THREE DAY JOURNEY YOU WILL DIE.

“Hello, this is Stefanie Morelly speaking.”

“Hey, this is Bethany McCrud. My mom and I came in this afternoon when you told me about the time travel to make a difference.”

“Oh yes? Well did you change your mind?”

“Yes, I want to go on this trip. And I can leave tonight if you’re still at your office. I’ve already filled out the papers. I can be there in thirty minutes.” I said eagerly.

“I’ll see you in thirty minutes then. See you soon Miss McCrud.”

I hung up the phone and changed into seven for all Mankind jeans, vans, and a gray non-hooded sweatshirt. Took the papers in one hand and left an apology note on the kitchen counter for my parents then grabbed my car keys.
Before I knew it I was at the travel agency giving Stefanie my papers. She brought me into the back room. It was cold, chilly and was like a garage. There was one machine that looked like a cylinder and was made totally out metal. Next to the door of the time machine was a key pad which she showed me how to use it for when I was ready to come home. Stefanie opened the machine and showed me how to put on the mask. Four masks, straps and tons of lights made up the inside of the machine. I put a mask on and strapped myself in. It took a couple minutes but before I knew it I was drifting into a sleep.

I woke up and pushed open the machine. I had no idea where I was other than a dark musty room. There were no lights on but the one from the machine. It smelled old, like a dry summer as I walked toward the stairs that lead to two wooden doors. It took three tries to open the doors before they finally opened. As I poked my head up into the air a warm breeze swarmed over me.

In the distance I saw giant barn that had a rustic charm. There was one giant light on in the barn and the doors were open. A loud barking dog came running toward me as I started walking along the tall grass.

“Scones! Come back!” A black figure yelled as it followed behind the dog.

Scones reached me and jumped around my legs. Even in the dark I could tell that it was sheep dog. I reached down and started to pet him. He seemed happy but ran back to the dark figure.

Another breeze rolled along the night sky and the figure was in sight. Sweat dripped down his muscular arms and formed around his tousled auburn hair. The shape of his face was like an oval square and he had a very squared chin. He smelled like hard work and newly ripened apples. Water filled his almond shaped eyes that were the color of milk chocolates. His olive colored skin glowed against the light. He looked to be around 6’2” maybe 6’3”.

“Who are you? And how did you get into my cellar?” He asked with his fists clenched and his teeth gritted together.

I stepped back as I replied, “I’m Bethany McCrud and I was just looking for a place too stay. I thought that you would have uh, been asleep. I’m real sorry, I’ll just leave.” I turned around and started walking away.

“Wait, Bethany?”

I turned around to face him again, “Yes?”

He looked to the ground. “You can stay here for the night.”

“Thank you.” I replied waiting for him to meet my eyes.

“I just have to finish some stuff in the barn is all.” He motioned for me to follow and so I did.

He took long strides when he walked so it took a lot of effort to follow him. As I followed him through the tall grass I didn’t see the gapping hole just in front of me. My right foot stepped in which made me stumble and twist my ankle.

“Oh god!” I screamed hastily.

The man turned around to find me on the ground. He bent down just above me and leaned in close, just three inches away from my face.

“Are you okay?” He looked into my eyes then turned to my ankle, which was still in the hole.

I leaned down closer to the ground and tried to move my right foot out of the hole but it hurt to move it and I moaned heavily.

“Here.” He leaned in closer and wrapped his left arm under my right armpit and with the other arm he took my leg out of the hole then lifted me off of the ground with ease. I wrapped my arms around his sturdy neck.

“What is your name?” I asked in a whisper.

At first he didn’t say anything at all he just looked toward the house then he sighed and replied back in a whisper, “Netanel Berker.”

“Oh, well thank you Netanel.”

“My pleasure.” He smiled slightly but refused to look at me.

Scones followed us up the stairs and into their home. Like the barn it had a very old fashion rustic charm. The entrance of the home was just a small mudroom full of shoes and coats. We walked through another entry into a large room that was a mixture of a family room, a small dinning room and a kitchen. Each was simple with their own characteristics. The rooms had very little lighting and the walls were beige, off white coloring. There were no pictures of any kind on the walls. On the left side of the room were some stairs the spiraled up too a hallway were there were three doors.

Netanel opened the first door on the right and set me on what felt like a bed. He walked back and turned on a light. Then he disappeared and came back within minutes with a first aid kit.

“Lay down.” He ordered in a doctor’s tone of voice.

I did as I was told. He pushed off my shoe, pulled off my sock then examined my ankle. After a couple minutes he wrapped my ankle and foot in a cloth wrap.

“It doesn’t look broken, it could be sprained but it’s hard to tell. When you wake up in the morning I will know more. Try and get some rest.” Nethanel said as he walked out of the room.

There was a window next to the bed that I stared out of as I thought about my trip. I wondered how I would explain how I got here.

That morning I woke up with sun shining brightly in my face. I rose up to my elbows and saw that Scones was lying at the end of the bed. Scones woke up and climbed onto my lap. He barked towards the door and there was Netanel standing against the door way. Under the suns rays he was more handsome then last night.

“I made breakfast, hope you like scrambled eggs and bacon with toast,” He walked toward me and kneeled down next to the bed to pet Scones. “How’s your foot?” Netanel rubbed down my leg with his masculine hands.

As I pushed myself up to sitting position I accidentally rolled off the bed and into his lap. His face was just inches away and he pushed my hair back out of my eyes. He smiled and his cheeks turned a rosy pink. I placed my hand onto his shoulder and moved closer to him. We stayed there for a moment longer then we should have. Then he grabbed me and pushed me up onto my feet as he got up. Our eyes met again but he quickly he looked down.

“Your foot looks good today.” Netanel looked back up then down.

“Oh yeah, I guess so.” I put more weight onto my foot.

We walked downstairs with Scones in front of us. The windows brought in lots of natural light, and it looked beautiful. Netanel pulled out a chair for me then sat facing me. He poured milk for both of us. I started eating and so did Netanel. At first neither of us talked.

Then he said, “Tell me how you got here.”

I choked onto my food at first, swallowed and looked up at him, “Well, I came on boat from the United States. I just graduated from high school and I needed a break before anything happened next. So I took a boat to get away, not for long. I was walking around because the boat lost my luggage so I didn’t have anything. I walked for a while. Took a buggy then got dropped off in a near by town. Kept walking and I saw this farm. I slept in the cellar for awhile and was just leaving when I met you.”

“Oh, well if you have no where else to go you could stay here.” He didn’t look at me when he talked but I could tell that he was blushing.

“I will.” I replied back and continued eating.

We both finished eating but continued not speaking. When I finished he grabbed the dirty dishes and went into the kitchen. I got up and went into the kitchen too. He turned on the hot water and put the dishes in the sink. I walked over next to him and grabbed the soap. The hot water ran and I poured the soap over the dishes so it looked like a messy version of Bethany. Then I dipped my fingers into the soap and I began washing the dishes with my fingers. Bubbles began to form and over flowed the sink.

Netanel turned off the faucet and his hands disappeared into the bubbles. Then before I knew it he was throwing bubbles in my face.

“What was that for?” I asked as I laughed.

“You made all these bubbles I thought you should enjoy them.” He laughed and smiled at me.

“Well,” I took a handful of bubbles and threw them at him. “You should too!”

We both laughed and took turns throughing bubbles at each other till we were soaked in bubbles. Netanel laughed and I pushed his hair back.

“You should go upstairs and shower. Then we can go into town.” He said.

I ran upstairs and took a shower. After the shower I brushed through my hair with a brush and looked at myself in the mirror. My face looked so natural, I don’t remember looking so naturally pretty. Damian doesn’t like it when I don’t wear make up, so I never really see me without it. With the towel wrapped around my body I peeked into Netanel’s room across the hallway.

His room was so different then all of the rest of the house. The bed had a quilt that was like a rainbow, full of color. Next to the bed were two end tables. Each had pictures of a family; Netanel was next to a younger girl that had long wavy brown hair and looked very similar to the older women next to Netanel. There were many pictures of Netanel as a little kid and with family.

I picked up one of the pictures and stared at such a happy family.

“That was my mom, dad and sister, in case you were wondering.” Netanel said staring at me holding the picture.

I jumped and set the picture down then held my towel, “I’m sorry I just needed some clothes.”

“It’s okay. They were taken away, I was the only one who got away.”

“I am so sorry. I feel horrible.” I looked away from his watering eyes.

Netanel moved closer to me, I could feel him breathing down my neck. He touched my elbow with his index finger and his middle finger then ran it down my arm till he reached my hand. Carefully he traced the lines on my hand. Then he grabbed my hand and brought me over to the closet. Above the hanging clothes was a shelf and he brought down a box and took out a royal blue dress. It was a V-neck with buttons down the back. The waistband was tighter then the other parts of the dress. The bottom part of the dress went out and flowed.

Netanel took out some blue flats that matched the dress and placed them on the floor, then left. I took the towel off and put my bra on. I slipped into the dress but soon realized that I couldn’t button up the back. Then I put the shoes on and went to the doorway.

“Nethanel?” I yelled down the stairs. He came upstairs and looked at me in the dress, “I need you to button up the dress for me.”

We walked into the bedroom and I stood in front of the mirror. His knuckles ran down my spine and started button to up the dress. The dress fit perfectly like it was made for me. Then he went to the end table and opened a drawer, which had a small box in it. He walked back over to me, took his fingers and ran them down my collarbone. It was a perfume that smelled sweet and innocent.

“This dress was my sisters and the perfume was my mothers.” He whispered into my ear.

Together we walked down stairs and all he could do was stare at me. He went out the door with Scones and I started to follow him.

“No, stay here.” Netanel said.

I stopped walking and just waited. It took longer then I thought it would but soon he called me outside. When I came outside there was Netanel sitting on a tall proud Stallion horse. He moved back on the horse and motioned for me to come over. I ran down the stairs and over to the horse who seemed calm and steady. Netanel reached his hand down and told me to put my left foot through the sterrup.

I climbed up on the horse a little clumsy but Netanel grabbed me before I fell. My eyes thanked him and his smile said your welcome. As I sat down onto the saddle, the dress I was wearing slide up a ways along my thighs. His left hand rested above my left thigh and his other hand around my waist.

“I hope you know how to ride a horse.” Nethanel said.

“Me too.” I replied.

I kicked the side of the horse and it began a steady jog. The trail we followed had beautiful scenery. Lush green grass played under the field of tall colorful flowers. Above us was not a single cloud in sight, just the baby blue sky that dazzled like sparkles. Netanel placed his hands over mine on the reins as the town came in sight.

The town wasn’t as large as I had imagined. There were a couple of dress stores, hat stores, furniture stores, shoe stores and hair salons all painted bright reds and blues. At the end of the second block was a small, little, white, café with green edging and blue door. Netanel pulled the horse’s reins back to stop. He got off the horse and stood behind me as I threw one leg over the horse. I started stepping off the horse when Netanel wrapped his arms around my waist and carried me down the rest of the way.

When we started walking into the café I noticed that everyone was staring at us like we had a deadly disease. Netanel placed his hand on the lower part of my back as I walked closer to him I could feel the heat coming off of his body. We got to the counter where the cashier stood and Netanel ordered for us. I couldn’t understand what he was saying because it was loud in the café, but I ended up getting a blueberry muffin and a hot chocolate.
He ordered himself coffee then carried everything over to a table next to the window.

“This place is just beautiful, with the landscaping and the cute little town. You must love it here. “ I said once we were both sitting.

“Actually, it’s just okay down here. You should see the sunset off the Atlantic Coast. Now that’s a beautiful sight.”

“Take me.” I looked into his eyes and smiled.

“It would take all day to get there in time.” He replied.

“Then,” I finished my muffin and drink. “We better go now.”

Netanel’s face lit up and he took my hand in his, “Let’s go then.”
I followed him onto the horse and sat behind him. We galloped out of town and so I had to hold on to Netanel’s waist to keep from falling off. When we got farther away from the town he slowed the horse down. Everywhere I looked all I could see were lovely little farm houses and giant pastures. I leaned my head on to Netanel’s back as I looked out beyond the horizon. The smell of him was intoxicating, but it was different then last night it was more of a sweeter smell like newly bloomed cherry blossoms. Some time passed and I began to doze off.

“Bethany?” Netanel whispered behind his back.

“What? Yes? Sorry I guess I fell asleep.”

“Were near the Coast but I think we should make a pit stop.” Netanel said as we rode into an even smaller town that had about five stores, a restaurant and a grocery store. He got off the horse and tied the reins around a pole in front of the restaurant. I turned and Netanel helped me off again.

We walked slowly into the restaurant both of us sore from riding for so long. The resurant was dark and lighted by candle. It smelled of pasta and tea. Red and gold wall paper with crown trimming covered up the walls and the floors were a dark cherry wood. Some of the wood was covered up with carpet that had different pictures that were so detailed they could have been portraits hanging on a wall.

A short women with very pale skin, strawberry red hair and covered in freckles, came over to greet us, “Hello, would you two like a table?” She asked impatiently.

“Yes, we would please.” I answered to the women with a bad attitude.

“Great, follow me.”

Netanel had me walk in front of him so he could pull out my chair for me. When both of us were seated, the lady told us our waiter would be there shortly. Netanel opened his menu and was deciding what to order while I sat and stared out the window.

“Is there something wrong?” Netanel was looking at me with worry written all over his face.

“No not really, just excited.” I looked and smiled to reassure him that I was okay.

He went back to looking over the menu. Finally a waiter had come over to take our order.

“So what will it be on this late afternoon?” A 5’9” man said as he walked over to our table.

Netanel ordered some Spaghetti, and I ordered tomato soup. The waiter left and within five minutes he brought us our food. We didn’t speak we just ate in silence. Neither of us finished our food even though it tasted great. Netanel paid then we went out and got onto the horse and set out to the coast.

Even though I couldn’t see what was in front of us I could tell we were near our destination. The wind sang a love song as it blew around us and I hummed along. Salt and fish filled my nose as we got closer. We came to a stop and Netanel turned to me and said, “We’re here.”

He got off the horse then handed me some sugar cubes to give the horse.

“What’s his name?” I asked as I got off the horse.

“Her name is Belle, after my Mom’s name Lizabelle.” He replied as he got some stuff out of a bag from the behind the saddle.

“That’s such a pretty name.” I started feeding Belle some sugar cubes.

“I know.” He walked up from behind and covered my eyes with his hands. I placed my hands over his and giggled as I said,

“What are you doing Netanel?”

“Just trust me.”

Netanel brought me over a couple feet before he told me to sit down.

“Now no peaking.” He whispered heavily into my right ear. His hands run down my legs and take off my shoes. Then gently, Netanel laid over my body while holding my face in his left hand before he said,

“Okay open.” When I opened my eyes I pushed my fingers through his hair to bring him closer to me and stared into his eyes. He rolled off of me and broke our daze to grab two wine glasses from the bag that had the sugar cubes in it. I sat up next to him and took the wine he poured for me.
Along the horizon water colors pink, purple, orange and yellow mixed together to form a sunset. The water glowed an aqua green against the sun it seemed like you could see right through the water like a window. Heat came from the setting sun and poured it self along my skin.

Together we drank wine and watched the masterpiece disappear to the other side of the world. While lying down I looked at the silver stars shining along the midnight black sky. Netanel fell asleep next to me and I placed my head on his chest so I could listen to the whispering of his heartbeat.
Before I knew it I was waking up in Netanels arms with the sun rising. He looked so peaceful I didn’t want to wake him up. Gently I crawled out from under his arms and fed Belle some apples. I petted her neck for a couple moments then looked back at the coast. The view was breathtaking and all I wanted to do was go down to get a closer look.
The cliff wasn’t that hard to get down but I knew it would be difficult to get back up. When my feet touched the sand I remembered back when Damain and I went to the beach on our third date. It was a summer afternoon and the sun was hitting Boston just over-head. I was wearing a tea rose knotted-race back Juicy Couture dress with a pair of Dolce&Gabbana high heels. Daminan liked it when I wore heels. He use to say, “It makes you look taller and thinner.”
That afternoon we had seafood by the beach then took a walk. I had to drag him down to the beach side because he didn’t want sand to get on his Rock and Republic jeans or his new Salvatore Ferragamo sneakers. When we got down there not many people around so I asked him to dance with me. He looked at me oddly then took my hand and told me that we had to go home. It was as if he was embarrassed to be with me.

As I looked out to the water I let the thought disappear and danced in circle so my dress would spin. I kept going in circles till a voice startled me.
“What are you doing down there?” Netanel said looking down.
I tumbled to the ground, “Well I was dancing. Or trying too.”
Netanel came down and took me in his arms and dance. His right hand was first on my hip but as we started dancing it moved to the lower part of back bringing us closer. I started to hum a tune for us to follow and for a few moments I felt like we were no longer on the beach but at a fancy ballroom where our dancing showed everyone else our passionate love that was beginning.
But this love was not like the kind I had back home with Daminan, this love was so much better. It was honest and pure. It was filled with adventure and people who were never suppose to meet. Our love was like the kind you read in fairytales. Just like the Disney movie Pocahontas, if John Smith didn’t go to the new land he would have never met Pocahontas or fell in love with her. Being here with Netanel is one of the best things that has ever happened to me.
I looked into his glistening eyes and took my hand away to pull his face closer to mine. My arms wrapped around his neck and my lips touched his with elegance. He lifted me up so my feet dangled and with one hand he brushed my hair over my ear. Then he pushed me away and put me back on the ground.
“What is it?” I asked but he wouldn’t look at me.
He stared at the ground for awhile before he drew me in so our noses were touching, “I can’t be with you because I can’t be without you.” With that statement he grabbed my hand and we headed back to his home.
The entire ride home neither of us spoke. All I could think of was what he said. It seemed like the ride took forever. We did stop once to eat and go to the bathroom but even then we didn’t talk. By the time we got in viewing site of his home it was probably around 5.

Scones came running toward us and I jumped off before I was told to so I could meet Scones. He jumped into my arms and licked my face clean. Netanel smiled as he put Belle away in the barn. I followed Scones back where Netanel was. It smelled like apples and hay when we first walked in. To the right side was a large area full of hay and saddles were Belle spent most of her nights. A large green rusted tractor filled most of the back of the barn. On the left was what looked like a workshop. Many old tools filled the wall along with a couple old pictures. Two tables made out of oak wood were in the process of being built.

Netanel walked toward me and his smile started to fade. “Why don’t you go inside and shower? There is a change of clothes in the box where I got the dress your wearing now.”

Roughly, he grabbed my face in his left hand and kissed me. Unlike the time before this kiss was harsh and cold with little meaning. I placed my hands on his neck so he couldn’t pull away from me like last time. Our lips interlocked more intensely as our bodies drew in closer. With aggression he grabbed my face more firmly with two hands. Then just as it started it ended. He pushed me away and looked to the ground.

I stepped back and turned so he couldn’t see my tears.

“I’ll go up and pack my things. I think that would be best.” I said as I walked out through the barn doors. I murmured under my breath, “That’s what you wanted any way.”

For the first time it was cool outside. I dragged myself through the field towards his house.

“I never said that Bethany!” Netanel yelled from a distance. Slowly I turned to face him and he was running toward me.

“Oh yeah? You just said that you can’t be without me and you can’t be with me.” My voice cracked from the crying as I screamed back. Netanel went to say something but I barged back in.

“I am making this easier for the both of us! You know that this is best so just let me go! Obviously, this trip and me coming here was a mistake! One big huge mistake!” I turned back away and started walking.

Netanel grabbed my arm and turned me to face him, “You coming here was not a mistake, it was a gift. I said that because its true, but I wanted you to stay longer. Bethany, please don’t go.”

Anger swarmed over me and I stormed away with tears still streaming my face.

“Bethany, I love you!” I turned to see his palms were open and his eyes pleaded.

Amazed I just stood there frozen unable to comprehend what he just said. Netanel walked over to me and cradled me in his arms holding me closely. Even though he didn’t say anything I could tell by his touch that he was telling the truth and my hug in return said that I felt the same.

Together, we walked into the house. Netanel made some cake while I went upstairs and took a shower. I was washing the previous day off my skin when the sweet aroma of the pie slipped through the cracks of the door and into the shower.

Quickly, I finished my shower. Then I threw on some underwear and one of Netanel blue button down shirts. The stairs creaked as I walked down them. It was dark outside and Netanel had lit some candles. The pie was already served on a plate for me at the table. Netanel was taking a shower while I swallowed my slice of pie.

I cleaned up and blew out all the candles. Exhaustion filled me up quickly as I went back up the stairs. But instead of going into the guest bedroom, I went into Netanel’s bedroom. I crawled under the sheets and hand sewn quilt. Although I was half asleep I could still feel when he crawled into bed and tenderly wrapped his arms around my stomach.

His lips touched my forehead in the late morning and rubbed my hair back. The sun had already risen and it seemed as if it was noon.

“Are you feeling alright?” He rested his chin on the bed.

“Yeah, I feel fine. I was just really tired.”

“Why don’t you put something on and come down stairs.” He left before I said anything.

I had to make myself get up and out of bed. Although the closet was only about ten feet from where I was standing it seemed far away but I managed to get there. Just above my head was the box and I had to jump to reach it. On top was a white dress with red orange and yellow flowers. They blended together making it hard to see the individual flowers. The collar of the dress stood up and was embroidered with white lace. It had a low neckline with buttons that started at the middle. The hem was also embroidered with lace.

I slipped into the dress and put on some red heels. Then I looked in the mirror and brushed through my natural curls which bounced right back to there perfect ringlets.

When I went downstairs I couldn’t find Netanel. He was nowhere to be found inside, so I went outside where the air was thick and humid. The sun shined it’s brightest. I shielded my eyes from the sun with my hand so I could see. Way out to the right was Netanel. I took off the heels and started to run toward him. He stretched out his arms and I dropped the shoes to embrace him. When our hug ended I saw that there was a giant blanket and a picnic basket.

“You look lovely” Netanel said with a soft grin.

“Thank you,” I blushed slightly. “What is all of this?”

“I just thought that you would like to relax here and bask in the sun.”

“And to be with you.” I looked into his eyes and smiled back.

Netanel sat down and I laid in between his legs so my head rested on his stomach. He took out some pasta, wine, bread and pie. We sat under the sun and ate with some kisses in between. The food was amazing but just being there with Netanel was the best part. I felt so good to be with him.

“So tell me about yourself?” Netanel said as we laid facing together with his hand on my hip.

“Well, what do you want to know?” I asked.

“What’s your favorite color?

“Pale rose pink. Yours?”

“Yellow.”

I looked up at the sky before I asked, “If you could go anywhere were would you go?”

“Anywhere you would be.” He kissed my cheek.

“What if you don’t know where I was?”

“Name a place I can always find you.” Netanel grabbed my face and turned it toward him.

“Paris, France.”

“Then I’ll wait there for you.” Lightly he kissed her lips.

We asked questions back and fourth enjoying each other’s company while laughing, smiling and giggling between questions and answers. He rubbed my face and I kissed his neck. He was kissing my collar bone when I blacked out.

I don’t know how long I was out but when I woke up Netanel was gone and the sun was setting. My vision was blurred as if I’ve been crying. When I tried to get up I fell back done like my arms were made of noodles. My head was spinning and I felt like I would throw up. Time seemed to stop and start, as I kept falling in and out of a daze.

“Bethany?” Netanel lay above me worrying written all over his face.

“Yes?” I said using all the energy I had.

“What’s wrong?” He begged me as he held my head.

“I don’t know.”

“Come on, I’ll bring you inside.”

“No, stop.” I opened my eyes and saw that the sun was set, “What time is it?”

“Why does it matter? Please let me help you.”

I put my hand signaling for him to stop, “What time is it?”

“Around nine I think.”

Trembling I pushed myself up and got up to my feet. My whole body was shaking. Netanel stood there wanting to help me. That’s when a siren went off. It was off in the distance around the town area. Startled we both jumped. Netanel looked at me no longer with worry but fright. We both looked up in the sky and saw a streaming light passing over the town and heading toward us.

“We have to get out of here!” Netanel yelled.

Even though I felt horrible I knew that I needed to get out of here. With all of my energy I did my best to keep up with Netanel, while my head was all fogged up. I had no idea what I was doing till I did it. “Scones!! Come Scones! Come here!”

I ran with my arms swinging opposite of each other and my legs trying to hurtle over the tall dry grass. Then I saw Netanel was running to the house.

“Netanel!! No don’t go in there!” He turned around too see that I was running to the bomb shelter. Netanel was glancing at the house, then back at me like he didn’t know what to do or where to go. Scones came and sat by my side. The blazing light was almost over head.

“PLEASE NETANEL!”
He started sprinting toward us and I ran to open the doors. Scones kept barking which was distracting me but I got the doors open just as Netanel was next to me. We all tumbled inside and slammed the doors shut. Even in pitch black it was easy to find the time machine. I opened the door and the lights from the machine were blinding. Then an explosion came from outside and time was running short.
“What is that helicopter doing here? Tell me what’s going on.” I yelled.
“Bethany I know I should have told you sooner but their looking for me. I was hiding out here protecting myself from the German’s. I’m so sorry I brought you into this.” He looked around for a moment before saying, “What is this?” Netanel asked wearily as he pointed to the time machine.
“Don’t ask questions, there’s no time. Just get in and put on a mask. And get Scones in there too.”
“Bethany?”
“Trust me.” I placed my hands on his face. Netanel took my hands in his and then walked into the machine. He patted his thighs and Scones went in with him. He tried putting the mask on Scones but it fit funny. Then I pressed the button to go home. I put on my mask and shut the door.

I pushed open the machine and my parents were standing ten feet away. My mother had tears and ran to grab me. While my father stood there awkwardly with worry written all over his face. I pulled the mask off and looked for Netanel but I was alone.
Both of my parents kept talking but I was oblivion to what they were saying. All I could wonder was where Netanel was. They brought me outside and into the car. My mom was sobbing and my dad was mumbling under his breath while I just sat there and said nothing staring out of the window.
When we arrived to a four story, five bedrooms, six and half bath newly painted white mansion it no longer looked familiar. Even the huge fresh green grass and trimmed hedges where I used to play was strange. The gray cupid and angel fountain that split the drive in two and where Damian and I had our first kiss seemed like it never happened. I dragged myself through our clean polished home and up the grand stairway that led to my twenty feet by twenty four feet bedroom. My bed was too big and I felt like I would get lost within the covers. I wrapped myself in a ball and cried for three days straight. Periodically my mom would check on me but I would send her away with my silence.
After three days of feeling miserable I called Damian and asked him to meet me at the Starbucks next to my favorite doughnut shop. I showered fixed my hair and makeup and put on a Chanel white dress with Gucci four inch heels. My sliver Lexus convertible was right in the driveway but I decided to walk to the coffee shop.
When I got to the coffee shop Damian was sitting next to the window drinking his favorite latte. I smiled as I stared at him through the window. He looked innocent like he had no idea what was coming next. As I walked in a sweet aroma of coffee filled the air and Damian jumped to meet me.
He hugged me stiffly. “I missed you.”
I let go quickly. “Please, let’s sit down.”
We both sat down and I dug through my purse. When I found what I was looking for I set it on the table. Damian stared with his mouth open at what I just put on the table.
“Why are you giving me back the ring I gave you?”
“Damian, I am so sorry. I thought that I loved you, but truly I don’t. We have had so much fun together over the past two years but it’s not what I want anymore.”

“Bethany,” He reached for my hand, but I pulled it away.

“I’m sorry.” I got up and walked out of Starbucks. Just up the road were a couple of old fashion dress stores. The inside of one smelled exactly like Netanel did the first night we met. Up front was a long draping pale yellow dress that was backless. It looked like a dress from the nineteen-twenties. I bought the dress after I tried it with a pair of white lace gloves.

The moment I got home I started packing up my stuff. I packed blouses, jeans, shirts, dresses, shoes and anything that I would need for my trip to Paris. My mother came upstairs and into my bedroom and gasped as she noticed all of my bags.

“Where,” She grabbed one my bags. “Where are you going?”

“To Paris, mom. I need to get out of my head, plus I still have the ticket for when Damian and I were going to go.” I started grabbing my bags and putting them into my car.

“No, Bethany you just got back!” She screamed at me as I was getting into my car.
Quickly, I turned to her and looked at her sternly. “Mom, I am eighteen years old. I can do whatever I want.” I slammed the car door as I go in.
During the flight I slept and read the book ‘Pride and Prejudice’. When we landed at one in the morning the next day I was pretty bright eyed and chipper. I got off the plane and got into the limousine driven by my private driver. All of my French classes really paid off as I explained to the driver where I wanted to go. He dropped me off at my hotel where I checked into the Penthouse suite over looking the dazzling city of Paris. I had some red wine and laid in bed looking out at the city. Before I knew it I was waking up at one thirty in the afternoon.
My day had already started so I quickly showered and did my hair. The yellow dress fit even better today when I slipped into it. With white Prada heels, lace gloves and a white floral sun hat. I made my way toward to the Eifel Tower where a small Teahouse was. It was a creamy brick building with a blue window panels. Tons of women were sitting around laughing with each other. Just as I was walking in I heard a voice that sounded like a perfect music tune. Turning around I faced a handsome young man. Tears streamed down my face as I grabbed the side of my dress and ran towards Netanel. He opened his arms and I embraced him.
Netanel tenderly grabbed my chin and kissed me so tenderly and sweetly that I thought I was in heaven. When we pulled away he looked into my glistening eyes and whispered, “I told you I would wait for you.”
“Where have you been?”
“I don’t know exactly I woke up back in England where my house was. But my house wasn’t there anymore. It was a giant town instead. And everyone I asked said that the year was 2010. What’s going on?”
I explained it all trying to make as much sense as possible. He didn’t say anything for awhile then looked at me and said, “You saved my life.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.