Forever Intertwined | Teen Ink

Forever Intertwined

Nico and his men were trained for this. This is what they signed up for, what they were made for, to serve and protect those of the supernatural race. He could feel the sun slowly rising as he sat in the lobby, twiddling his thumbs as he looked around watching the move of everyone in the area as he slouched back in the chair.
He and his brother assembled in the lobby of a fastidious apartment building. The tile flooring reflected the lights from above, blinding Nico’s sensitive eyes. His brother, Kenneth, sat directly across from him, looking at the day’s newspaper, sipping the coffee he just ordered. He could hear the hearts beating of the humans who walked about or who were waking up on the floors above him. He could smell the blood of the concierge who sat irritably at her desk, filling out paper work.

Nico, I see movement.

Keep your aim on them, Rick.

Got it, boss

Nico could sense the calmness rolling off in waves from his best sniper. Rick and Nikolai were looking in on the apartment from the opposite building’s roof.

Nico, the lights have been turned on! The newest member of their group thought, his nerves and adrenaline rushing.

Stay calm, Nikolai. We need you at your best for this mission. Just breath, Ken and I are going in.

He nodded to Ken, and they both silently stood and walked to the elevator.

¬
Nikita hummed to “Caraphernelia” by Pierce the Veil as she unlocked the door to her apartment. She was tired after a long night’s work of cooking at the bar and grill not far from her street. The house was dark but she could see well. The Italian hand-crafted wood flooring was spotless, not a scratch or spill noticeable. The peach and cream walls matched well with the thick curtains that blocked out the sun-light when she decided to be up during the day. The scent of sugar cookies coming from the candle on the island was like a blanket over every item in her house, it rushed up her nose and she smiled delicately. She set her bags on the marble counter and turned on the lights before rushing to her room.
“Raevenn!” she called as she opened her door. A faint meow came from under her bed.
“Oh baby I miss you so much! Come here. Come here Raevenn,” she cooed as she lifted the skirt of her bed. Raevenn was pressing herself against the wall, not wanting to budge.
“Rae, what’s wrong?” Nikita slumped against the floor, a baffled expression crossing her face. Her body tightened quickly and alarm shot through her system as she caught the smell of another vampire, but she was too slow to react to the footsteps.
He jumped out from behind her door at supernatural speed and dug his hands into her ankles, pulling her out by them. The pain jolting through her body frightened her as she latched on to the leg of her bed, denting the wood. She screamed out loud when he dug his nails into her skin, drawing blood. Every sensation was magnified and she felt as if her foot had been hacked off by a dull, rusty blade. Struggling to not let go, she whipped her other foot around, hitting her mark on the side of his face, snapping his head to the side. It would have rolled off his body if he were human. He didn’t let go. He growled as he dug in even further, grabbing more and more of her leg and she was beginning to lose her strength.
“Let me go!” she shrieked, kicking and flailing her legs wildly, hoping to, this time, render her attacker unconscious, or make him lose his balance, just for a second. It would be enough. He grabbed her other ankle and twisted it hard, pain jolting through her as she cried aloud and let go of the bed leg as she reached for her throbbing ankle, wanting to stop the sting. Her attacker grabbed her by her hair and dragged her up to him, her back on his chest.
“It would be easier if you would stop squirming,” her attacker hissed as he held the knife to her throat. She could smell the blood that had been previously shed on the sharpened blade. Then, glass shattered and she was released. She jumped and slid next to her bed as she heard a loud thud before all was silent. Panic pumped through her veins and mind as she strained her hearing, not wanting to see what had happened. She turned her head and saw her attacker on the ground, a bullet wound between his eyes.
Her head snapped to her door when she heard footsteps coming closer to her room. She dragged herself underneath her bed and took out the dagger she had hidden inside the mattress. She clutched it to her chest, tighter, when the door opened, and she saw two sets of shoes, men, by the looks of them. They both walked to the man on the ground. One of them kicked him, hard.
“Ken, knock it off,” one man growled to the other.
“Relax, he’s dead. He couldn’t feel it, even though he deserved it,” he responded.
The man who talked first walked closer to her bed. This is it, I will die here¸ Nikita thought, her heart pounding in her chest and pulsing in her ears. The man knelt down and peered under her bed.
“It’s alright ,Nikita. You can come out,” he said in a soothing voice, after moments of silence. His eyes were deep and dark as the bluest sea with a yellowish brown that circled and spindled from his pupil, making the soft color pop. She saw genuine concern for her in his eyes and slowly crawled out, refusing his help. She started to stand but fell back onto her bed, the man was right there to hold her up.
“Her ankle’s twisted. I’m taking ‘Dead Man’ to the vehicle. We’ll dispose of him once we get on the road,” the dark haired man said to the one at Nikita’s side as he threw her attacker over his shoulder. He left the room, and neither of them spoke a word until they heard him leave the apartment.
“Who are you? Who was that man? Why was he here? What did-,” the man kneeling before her held his fingers to her lips, cutting her off.
“A bad man who obviously wanted you, and I’m Nicolas. Everyone calls me Nico. That was my brother Ken who left. Rick and Nikolai were the snipers who shot at him. We can answer the rest of your questions later, but for now, you need to trust me and come with us at once,” he answered, feeling her ankle.
Nikita drank him in under the light. He was magnificently tall. At 6’3 he towered over her small frame. He was tan, and his jaw line was squared, giving off the feeling of power and dominance. His shoulders were broad and his hips narrow. His sandy brown hair flipped out and curled a little at the end, right above his thick eyebrows. She felt the need to be with him, to be protected. She was a vampire for Christ’s sake! So was he! The man who attacked her was a vampire. Why did she need protecting? She could handle herself… But she had almost died, and how could she refuse a man like him? But how could she trust someone who she barely knew, who obviously knew about her attack, and how to get into her house after she locked it?
“I can’t, I have work,” she stated plainly.
“You’re off. We called in after you left.”
Nikita glared at him. How did this man know so much about her? It angered her, having to be protected. She wasn’t one to take directions and orders easily from someone else, and someone who she had just met, who has no authority over her.
“What about my cat?”
“Bring it with,” he replied, not caring what she brought as long as she left with him. She was the item he had to retrieve, and he was determined to bring her in one piece.
“I don’t know you and don’t want to go.”
“You’ll get to know me and the others on the ride, but it’s prudent you leave, and now,” he half growled as he held her elbow, preparing himself to throw her over his shoulder and take off if she refused yet again. He could already sense her attackers’ partners becoming restless.
She sighed heavily.
“Okay. Let me pack and-”
“There’s no time. Where we’re going you’ll have everything you need. Can you walk?”
“I can try,” she said with an impish smile. She took one step and almost fell. Nico caught her and scooped her into his arms. Another man was in the doorway. He was big and muscular with soft dark brown hair curled tightly against his. His tanned skin contrasted with his baby blue eyes, and his teeth gleamed from behind his thin lips.
“Rick, grab the cat,” Nico said as the African- American man he called Rick stepped into her room. Another man followed.
“Nikolai, stick with Rick. Is Ken ready?”
“Yessir, he’s a in the car. All ready ta go,” he responded with a thick Russian accent that made a smile tug at the corner’s of Nikita’s mouth. Rick muttered an oath before Nico and Nikita reached the door to leave her apartment.
“That cat done gone bit me hand!”
“Man, ye’r a bigger pussy than what ye’r tryna to catch,” Nikolai teased.
“Very funny you half-assed Russian, get me the damn cat carrier and you come get the cat.”
Jacobo laughed again just before Nico and Nikita closed the door. By the time they had all reached the vehicle, the Dark Sleep had overcome them, and they fell into total darkness.

The sun was setting when they pulled into the private air strip. It had taken the whole day for them to arrive. They had only a few days left to get her to her destination before anyone caught up to them.
“Mind telling me where we’re going?” Nikita said as Nico opened the door for her.
“Some place safe.”
Nikolai handed her her crutches as she slowly stood.
“Plane leaves in ten minutes, Nico,” Ken warned.
He looked nothing like his brother. While Nico’s hair was a light and shiny, dusty brown, Ken’s was jet black. His eyes were rimmed with a rusty gold color that illuminated the jade green that filled his iris. He had high cheekbones, obviously some Native American descent, and his shoulders and hips were narrow. His skin was lighter than Nico’s, but he too was well muscular and wasn’t any less attractive; in fact, he had her swooning over his rugged looks.
As if reading her mind, Ken turned to her and smiled a devilish, tempting smile. She couldn’t help but blush and look away. Nico moved in front of her.

She thinks I’m hot, Ken sent to Nico.

Ya, I caught on to your over exaggerated glee, Nico growled back.

Bro, chill. A few more days and she’s out of our hair. But, we can mess with her till then can’t we?

Lay a finger on her, and I’ll have your hand. Not to mention her father will kill you.

Yo, boys, what is your bickering about? It’s giving Rick and I a frightful headache, Nikolai pitched in.

Nico is acting like a damn fool over Nikita. He won’t let me play around with her, Ken said.

Well, jeez, Nico, why you so uptight over a joke? Rick asked.

It wasn’t a joke, Ken said ruefully, receiving a glare from Nico.

“Do you have a death wish brother?” Nico growled, aloud this time.

“What?” Nikita said, snapping her attention back to the men surrounding her, as if she were a queen.

“Nothing,” Ken responded.

“Oh… Wait, why are we traveling to Transylvania?” Nikita asked as they boarded the plane.

“Your father requests it, for your safety.”

“My… My father!” she stopped in her tracks on the stairs. She couldn’t think, couldn’t move. She hated that man with such a fiery passion that could set the forest on fire. “I barely know that man. He left my mother and me. I want nothing more to do with him!”

“Well, he knows people who want everything to do with you. He wants you safe,” this time, it was Rick who spoke.

“I was safe,” Nikita hissed, her fangs elongated.

“And is that why you were a hiding under ye’r bed with a twisted ankle? Man, you Americans have a strange way of staying safe,” Nikolai teased. Nikita shot him a dirty look before taking a seat next to Ken.

Told ya she likes me bro, Ken smiled at Nico as he passed by their seat.

I know where you’ll be sleeping tonight Ken. Be careful.

Oop! It was Nikolai who commented. I love it when you guys fight! Fun for Rick and I.

Did you hear that, Ken? Gay lovers find our banter amusing, Nico glared and Nikolai.

Oop, It was Ken who commented.

Hey, I like my woman, Rick hissed.

Me too, you jerk off, Nikolai replied grumpily. Ken just laughed.

“Why does my father suddenly care about me? It has been over 200 years and I haven’t had a single word with him,” Nikita asked.

“He’s recently been sent death threats. Not for him though, they’re for you,” Ken answered.

“Why me? What in God’s green earth have I done?” she said, full of shock and rage, her eyes slowly started to change and a red filmy layer covered the once beautiful blue eyes.

“You’re the heir of Lilith, the only one of her bloodline,” Rick said sitting in the turn around seat in front of her. Nico sat in the one in front of Ken.

“So?” Nikita was puzzled. What was so great, or so bad, about being Evangeline’s only child?

“It was said that God created two beings from the dust: Adam and Lilith.”

“You mean Eve,” Nikita corrected.

“That’s where you’re wrong. Lilith was made just like Adam. She was dependent, rash, disobedient to her husband, smart, cunning, and one day God grew angry with her and gave her to the devil, and then he created Eve: who was obedient, dependent and daft.

“Satin loved his creation given from God, but he too got annoyed with her. He set her back on Earth to roam for all eternity, giving her her freedom, but saying she must do his bidding when he requests it.

“When Vlad, your father a.k.a Dracula, was born, Satin had his eyes set on him for his big plan. Vampires. Satin knew Lilith would fall hopelessly in love with him, only to get her heart broken. That’s why you’re special, and you have a price over your head. You are the first born of the first made.”

Nico finished explaining but kept his eyes on her. God she is gorgeous. Her blue Bambi eyes set perfectly round on her heart shaped, porcelain face. He wanted to stare and get lost in her eyes and bury his nose into her long, blonde hair. The smell from where he was sitting tantalized his taste buds as the soft aroma of spring filled his nose. It was voluptuous and curly. Her light pink lips were plump, begging to be kissed, and he would take pleasure in succumbing to their every want and desire.

You’re sick bro, Ken mocked.

Get out of my mind, Nico growled.

Stop emanating your fantasies. Rick, Nikolai and I are grossed out now thank you very much.

Nico frowned and leaned back in his seat, as Nikolai and Rick tried to hide their snickering faces.

“All files of your existence were hidden, but obviously not well enough. It doesn’t make sense to me why they would want you though,” Ken said.

“What’s that suppose to mean,” Nikita shot back, glaring. Nico couldn’t help but smile.

“I meant…. Oh never mind,” Ken said grumpily, slouching back in his chair. He crossed his arms and looked out the window of their private jet.

“We’ve got like six hours boss before we land,” Nikolai stated as he came out of the pilots cabin.

“Rest, I’m sure we’ll have no trouble in the air.”

“Everyone grabbed a pillow and blanket and curled up in their seats, all but Nikita. How could she sleep? Knowing many people wanted her dead. Sure she felt safe, more than safe when she was with Nico. But even then, a person, a vampire, on a mission is deadlier than any weapon.

She lay awake after a few hours. She couldn’t sit still. She got up and walked into the restroom. It was fairly large, with a tub too. It looked like a regular home bathroom, and the tub looked inviting. She drew out hot water and found some lavender scented bubbles, which she poured a generous amount. She stripped herself of her clothes and slid in to the boiling water, and let the darkness consume her.

Nico awoke to silence, everyone else was asleep. He stared out at the night sky missing the sunshine. His mother told him that with age, he would become immune to the sun and would be able to feel the brilliant rays. She was over 1,000 years old. He didn’t want to wait that long.

His thoughts drifted towards Nikita. She was amazing. Within the short time he had been with her, he felt the need to protect her, even if it meant death. As head of military to Vlad, that’s what he was sworn to do. This was different. He wouldn’t regret dying to save her. He couldn’t think straight whenever she was around. And if he could think, it wasn’t with his head.

He had tried to read her, but failed. He had never failed at reading any immortal, even an older one. That was extremely rare. Sudden glee rose in him as he thought of what that could mean. I found my life mate. Inside he rejoiced. He had found that one being on the face of the earth that he could live with, not control. Finding your life mate was the only good thing that could come into his life for his kind. It was like finding a mine full of gold, except the effect of their happiness never wore off. They never tired of each other. He looked over to her seat and his heart stopped when she wasn’t there. He jumped from his seat, waking Rick.

“Jesus man! What set your ship on fire?” he asked groggily, rubbing his eyes.

“Nikita. She’s gone!” he growled.

“Man, she’s in the bathroom in the tub. I woke up when I sensed her leaving. She drew a bath.” Nico sighed and sat back down in his chair, wrapping his long body back up in the blanket. Rick laughed a soft, enchanting laugh.

“Boss, you got it bad.”

“Yeah, I know.”

“Can you keep your head on straight for this mission?”

“Of course I can,” Nico growled.

“I’m just looking out for the others boss. We can’t afford any distractions or one of us might get killed.”

Nico didn’t respond. Rick knew he was right, and so did Nico. He couldn’t get too close to her during their mission. He had to get his priorities straight. Keep her safe, deal with life mate business later. He only stared out the window, and drifted back off into a deep slumber.

Nikita awoke, splashing in cold water when the plane hit turbulence. Quickly she dried herself off and got dressed. She hopped in her seat seconds before the plane hit the ground. God she hated planes.

“Three hours till sunrise,” the flight attendant said before she disappeared again behind the curtain. They all scuttled off the plane and into a pitch black, heavily tinted SUV.

“Here’s your kitty,” Nikolai said, handing her the cat carrier. Raevenn’s eyes looked as if they were about to bug out of their sockets.

“Oh baby,” Nikita cooed as she slid into the truck, next to Rick. Raevenn hissed maliciously.

“The kitty still doona like you,” Nikolai joked, poking Rick in the side.

“And I don’t like the kitty,” he growled.

Raevenn hissed again. This time, Rick responded with a hiss and flashing his fangs, his eyes glowing red. Raevenn backed into the corner of the carrier, her teeth bared and snarling.

“Oop,” Ken commented, laughing as Nikita stared at Rick as if she could set him ablaze with her eyes.

“Rick, get in the front, and stop terrorizing the damn cat,” Nico ordered as he sat in the driver’s seat, revving the engine.

“Within three hours we will be half way to your father’s castle. We’ll stop before our Dark Sleep takes over,” he announced.

“Man, screw that. I’m hittin’ the sack now. The nap on the plane was awful,” Ken said as he yawned, leaning his head on Nikita’s shoulder.

Get off, Nico scowled at his brother from the mirror.

She doesn’t seem to mind, Ken said smugly.

Now, Nick growled.

Ken didn’t respond, ignoring him, he left his head resting on Nikita. Ken felt the tension rise until he drifted off. Shortly after, the other passengers did as well

Everyone up! Sunrise in thirty minutes lets move!” Nico hollered as he pulled into what looked like a run down shack. This place had been a home away from home for many vampires.

Everyone awoke and in a blur that couldn’t be seen by the human eye, they jumped out and ran into the hotel. The manager already had their rooms ready when they ran inside.

“You’re cutting it close Nico,” the tall lanky man said, holding out a set of keys.

“Yeah, I know. Where are our god-damn rooms?”

“Farthest floor underground, just like you asked.”

Nico nodded, leading everyone to their rooms.

“Rick, Ken, Nikolai, your room is on the right. Nikita, ours is on the left.”

Keeping her all to yourself eh buddy? Nikolai said as he walked into this room.

Shut up Russian.

Just saying. Keep it down thought. I’d like to go to sleep with my mind not defiled.

Nico didn’t respond, shutting the door, he locked it.

“So, I can sleep on the floor…” Nikita said, as Nico rested up against the dresser, drinking her in with hungry eyes.

“Or the bed…” she said quietly when he didn’t respond.

“Read me,” Nico said, so plainly.

“What?”

“Read me. What am I thinking?”

“Nico, I’m older than you. Of course I can read you.”

“Well then try. You’re stalling. I’m not able to read you. What am I thinking now, at this very moment.”

“As I said, I’m older, so you shouldn’t be able to read me.”

“I can read your father. He is way older than you, and my mother. So humor me then. Read me,” Nico demanded, harsher than before. He partially wanted to know for himself, as reassurance, that she was it, before he got his hopes up too high, and fall hard.

He remembered his first life mate, Ashley. She was sweet, caring, and always polite. He was utterly in love with her. He worshipped the ground on which she walked, praised her with kisses and words of love and adoration. Her long voluptuous red hair always gleamed in the moonlight, and smelled of lemon herbs and zinnia’s. Her pale skin reflected the light of the moon and her eyes glowed with a bright passion that burned inside her.
She was raised in a strict Christian house hold. He should have known their relationship wouldn’t work. The night he proposed to her, he told her what he was. She didn’t believe him. He decided to show her, not knowing what she would do until after she had seen his fangs. She staked him, through his chest and left him to burn in the sunlight. If it wasn’t for Vlad, and Ashley’s horrible aim, he would have been dead. He stayed away, and watched Ashley live the rest of her life, knowing that her husband, her kids, could have been his. He cried at her funeral and after her death, he would spend the whole night sitting at her grave, talking to her, as if his almost-bride was still here.

He felt a tear in the corner of his eye. He breathed in deep and pushed the memory behind him.

“Okay,” Nikita sighed with exasperation. She started raking through his mind. She saw nothing. It was completely blank.

“Well?”

“I…I…” Nikita couldn’t even bring herself to say it. She had found her life mate. After waiting so long, she felt her life was complete. She sucked in a deep breath, and felt full. Nikita’s silence told him all he needed to know. He strode to her and enveloped her in his arms. He felt the sharp rise of her chest, then the steady fall as she breathed and tightened her grasp around him. One faint tear slid down his cheek. She was the one he was created to be with. She was his life mate. And he couldn’t be with her.

This book has 1 comment.

RRRRR BRONZE said...
RRRRR BRONZE, Orrville, Ohio
1 article 1 photo 83 comments

"Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is when you don't."- Pete Seeger

"I didn't quit because I wasn't strong enough to live through it, i stopped because i was strong enough to move on." -Unknown

I really liked the beginning, the whole plot.

But i was a little bummed when they found out they were meant for each other so early on. I had hoped it would take longer and draw it out.

Other than that, i really like it. I hope you keep going with it!