Summer Full Of Lemonade | Teen Ink

Summer Full Of Lemonade

By emmernemmer PLATINUM, Stockton, California
emmernemmer PLATINUM, Stockton, California

"the pen is mightier than the sword"

Author's note: This piece was just something I would just write off and on. It's probably one of my best novels.

We would have been content spending most of the summer sitting on the porch rail sipping lemonade with my flip flops falling off. After a while he remembered that old annoying tune. But instead of making me mad it made me laugh as if all of those almost ten year old memories were carried on it’s back.
When I could not laugh any longer I began to finger that old key necklace he had given me as a Christmas present so long ago to replace the one I had lost. Even though he had given it to me so long ago I still felt like it was this years Christmas gift. Ah, the memories.
But of course when my mom came out a few minutes later to refill our glasses she said:
“Why don’t you guys go swimming? I’m pretty sure that the rope is still up by the river. Go shoo, shoo. I want you both out of the house once you finish you lemonade.”
“Fine.” We grumbled and drank our lemonade as slowly as possible.
“Let’s go.” I said as I took my last sip of lemonade.
“Okay, to the river.”

...

It was about quarter of a mile to the river. We ran all the way.
“Were here.” I said panting.
“Yep. I beat you.” He replied smiling.
“No way I beat you.” I said smiling back.
“Keep dreaming.”
“If anyone is dreaming it’s you.”
“Ya right.”
“Let’s just swim.” I finally said.
“Okay.” He ran to the rope.
“Man. I must admit you beat me at that.” I groaned.
“Ha ha.” So of course, I pushed him in.

When he surfaced he was laughing. By mistake I had sat too close to the water so he grabbed my hand and pulled me in. It hurt because he forgot that if he pulled me in I would hit him. So of course I fell on top of him. If it hadn’t hurt I would have laughed. Well I did, but it still hurt, a lot.
“Ow.” He said when we surfaced from the collision.
“Don’t say it’s my fault. Your the one who pulled me in.”
“Fine. But I already did. In my mind.”
“Your incorrigble.”
“Yes I am.” I laughed. Then I noticed how close we were standing to each other.
“Um... I bet I can beat you to the rock.”
“Ya right, and you say I’m cocky.”
“Well you are”
“Okay. I’ll try to beat you.”
“Okay.” We headed off. I beat him by a second.
“I beat you.” I said proudly. He frowned.
“I guess.” He mumbled. I laughed.
“What did I win?”
“I don’t know.” He said still mumbling.
“You know.”
“You win, a...”
“I can’t hear you.”
“Uh... You win a... Why do I have to say it? You know what you won.”
“I like hearing you say it.”
“You win a...”
“Just tell me what I won. Stop saying:You win a...”
“Okay. But...”
“Now.”
“Okay.” He took a deep breath. “You win a free question.”
“What kind of free question?”
“You get to ask me any question you want. I have to answer truthfully. You usually ask what girl I currently like.” He mumbled.
“Thank you. Come and sit down while I think of a question.”
“Fine.” How long will he keep mumbling?

We sat down on the rock.
“You know, you can always make me do something. Like a dare or something.”
“No thanks.” I said smiling.
“Fine what do want to know?”
“I want to know... Mhmm...”
“Just tell me! I hate it when you do that!”
“Okay. You have five days for this one. Who do you like? I don’t want to have some quick answer I want you to think about it.”
“Okay. I’ll think about it."
"Good." I said. I looked across the river. "It still looks the same doesn't it?"
"Ya I guess it does.” He smiled and side glanced at me.
“What?”
“Nothing.” He still smiled though.
“Fine then. If you won’t tell me I’m going swimming.”
“Okay.” When I took a quick glance back I saw he was still smiling at me. How annoying.

...

When we got back it seemed hotter than before.
“We might as well get some lemonade.” I said laughing.
“Sounds good.” He replied laughing to.
My mother was just as amused.
“This summer is definitely turning out to be a summer full of lemonade.” She said laughing when we asked. “Your blood will become yellow and sugary. Oh dear. You kids want more than I can give.”

“Were not kids mom.” I said diligantly. Which was ruined by my laughing while saying it.
“I know, I know. Thinking your so big cause you just turned fifteen don’t you?”
“Only a little more than usual.”
“Exactly. Besides if our blood turns sweet no vampires will come and eat us will they?” He said.
“Now Mr. Smarty Pants is right.” My mom said. “Why don’t you guys go up to the turret.”
“This summer is a constant excuse after excuse to get us out of your hair.”
“That’s right now shoo, shoo.” Se said with a wave of her hand.
I should tell you something about our house and it’s current residents. I, Jean Caparelli, are fifteen. My friend that I have known for eleven years is also fifteen. His name is (you’ve probably been wondering this) His name is Liam Thomas and he’s visiting for the summer. While I have dirty blond hair and blue eyes (some of my friends thought they were the color of jeans like my name) , he has dark slightly curly brown hair and dark brown eyes. He only comes down in the summer so most of my friends don’t know him. If they did they would flirt, a lot. But to me, he’s just Liam. I hope to him I’m just Jean. At least I hope. There’s no good in hind sighting.
When we got to the turret door Liam smiled.
“I call dibs on the window seat tonight.”
“My house.” I countered.
“Guests choice.”
“I’ve known you long enough for you to be a part of the house as we are. So no guest treatment.”
“Fine.” He frowned. “I’ll let you have it. Next summer I get it. Okay?”
“Okay if I remember.”
“If you don’t I will.”
“Good enough for me.” I knew he probably wouldn’t remember but I’ll give him what he wanted.
We headed in. The turret consisted of windows that went all the way around with only one window seat big enough for one person to really be able to streatch out. There is a cabinet with a foldout bed inside. Then there is a comfy, soft, brown leather armchair. I was so tired I just plopped myself in the chair as Liam brought down the foldout bed and I just fell asleep...

I woke up late that night on the window seat. How did I get here. I sat up and looked over at Liam. He was reading on the folding bed. I looked at the blanket over me and wondered. I couldn’t have gotten here by myself how did I get here?
“Oh your up.” Liam said.
“Ya how did I get from the chair to here?”
“I carried you.” He turned a page.
“Oh. You could lift me?”
“Your not that heavy.” He looked up smiling at me.
“Ya I guess. Thanks.”
“Your welcome.” He smiled again and turned back to his book.
“Whatcha reading?”
“To Kill a Mocking Bird.”
“Cool.”
“Ya.” I laid down again.
“You can see the river from here. It’s a beautiful night.” I said looking out the window.
“You can. I’ve seen more beautiful things though.” He said walking over to the window.
“Like what?” He shrugged at the question.
“Stuff.”
“Like what?” I asked again.
“People.”
“What kind of people?”
“Girls.”
“Anyone in particular?”
“Someone.”
“Who?”
“Someone.”
“That’s so clear.”
“I don’t have to be clear.”
“To me you do.”
“Too bad.” He smiled a cocky smile.
“Your not nice.”
“Who says I have to be nice?”
“Me.”
“Since when do I listen to you?”
“I don’t know.”
“My point exactly.”
“I’m going to sleep.”
“Fine then.” I fell asleep that night with him standing behind me smiling looking out the window thinking of his mystery girl. Soon I would discover her identity. At least I hope I would.

That morning I have to say the window seat has a great view at night but in the morning it is way too sunny. There is a curtain we have for in the morning and I was surprised to see it was already closed. Liam must have closed it when he went to bed. Must have. But he’s always up early why should he care about if the window is covered or not. Figures Liam is full of surprises. I got dressed in the bathroom and headed downstairs.

When I got there I found just my mom.

“Morning.” I said.

“Morning.” She replied.

“It was nice this morning. Liam apparently closed the curtain when I fell asleep last night. So the sun wasn’t in my eyes.”

“Good.”

“It’s weird though. Last summer he would have been glad to leave it open.”

“Very weird.” My mom got this funny look on her face.

“What is it.”

“Well you two have known each other for so long and your fifteen and you know...”

“MOM! That’s so weird. That’s creepy!”

“Well like you were saying he’s been much more helpful and things. It is certainly a possibility.”

“La, la, la, can’t hear you. Where are Liam and Clara anyway?” Clara is my younger sister who’s thirteen. She thinks Liam is an angel from heaven. Meaning she flirts a lot.

“They went to the store for me.” The nearest grocery store was half a mile away. Poor Liam. Clara will drive him insane.

“Cool. When?”

“About a half an hour ago, they should be home soon.”

“Okay. Can I have some of those chocolate chip pancakes?” My mom made my favorite!

“Okay my little lovesick daughter.”

“MOM! I’m not lovesick!”

“I know.” She said with a sly smile. I rolled my eyes and she laughed.

...

As I ate the last of my breakfast I heard voices on the driveway. Liam and Clara (the flirt) were back. Let me see if I can save poor Liam from here clutches. I probably will. I’ve had enough practice.
When I got to the end of the driveway I saw Clara talking and Liam looking a little bit pained. Poor guy.
“Hey guys.” I said when I reached them.
“Hey.” Clara said.
“Hey Jean.” Liam said. Is it just me or did he look happier after he saw me? I probably was imagining it. Ya, that’s it. “Clara, your mom probably needs you.” He said with a smile towards me. Did I ever mention his smile could melt your heart?
“Ya Clara, mom needs you.” I said realizing were using ditch Clara operation number three.

Once she left Liam said.

“To the river?”

“You bet.” We headed off.

We got to the river in a matter of minutes.
“Were here.” I said panting.
“Yeah.” He said, also panting, but laughing at the same time. I couldn’t help but laugh to.
“Okay it’s been a day. I need a update on my truth question.”
“Okay um... It’s been fine. Don’t worry I’ll meet your deadline.”
“I’m not worrying. Your the one who should be worrying. I’m going to find out your secret.”
“Ha ha. Yeah I’m so worried.”
“I’m going to know who you like!” He rolled his eyes.
“What are you going to do after you know?” He asked.
“I’ll see. It all depends on who you like.”
“Great.” He rolled his eyes again.
“It’s not polite to roll your eyes at people.”
“Sucks for you.” He said smiling.
“Sucks for you that I get the swing.” I ran to it and flew into the water. There’s nothing like that feeling.
When I surfaced Liam was laughing. I had to laugh to.

“Some people never change.” He said.

“Thank you.” He suddenly got this weird look on his face.

“What?”

“Nothing.” He kept staring at me though.

“Okay?” I got out and he continued to stare.

“Really I’m fine.” He wasn’t convincing.

“Sure.”

“Really I’m fine.”

“Are you sure? Because you haven’t stopped looking at me it’s kinda weird.”

“I’m fine.” Then to avoid any other questions he dove into the water. He had a nice form. I guess he’s kinda cute. What am I saying! Ugh!

I dove into the water and tried to not think about it for the rest of the day.

The next morning was no better. I was constantly finding all the good, weird things I had never noticed about him. It was the things I would never admit. I barely could admit them to myself. He was cute. I had always known that. But not cute. That’s what worried me most about these new found opinions. They scared me, a lot. What if I admitted this to him? What if I showed disappointment when he told me who he likes? Why would I show disappointment? I had just admitted it to myself. I liked him, that also scared me. what was I going to do? SOMEONE HELP ME!!! PLEASE! But of course i would get no help. These things are meant to be taken alone. That is the bad thing.

The other bad thing was that he was cuter then ever. I mean SERIOUSLY cute. The way he walks, talks, looks, and I just wish he would do that staring thing again. I was officially dying slowly.

~~~~

It was him who decided to go to the river again. He said I was acting weird and had a weird look on my face after he said it. I just said I was dying to know who he liked (I lied). He said if I didn’t complain and I went to the river with him he would tell me tomorrow. I said I couldn’t wait. I was about to explode to tell you the truth. Tomorrow was when I died or when I would be in heaven. I was going to make it or break it. That is REALLY uplifting. Not. I was going to kill myself.

~~~~

At the river we just sat down and after a second he gave that weird look again. I felt myself blush.

“What?” I said.

“Nothing.” He replied. But this time he looked away. I instantly regretted my words.

“Why did you want to come here?” I asked.

“To get away from Cara. And to be able to be with you. My last day with my friend before I confess my darkest secrets.” He answered.

“Or you could tell me now.” I hinted.

“Not a chance.” He said matter-a-factly.
“Okay. Then I’m going back. I’m tired. I ran off toward home.

When I reached the kitchen I was relived to see my mom there.
“You…,” I was breathing hard, “were right.” She turned around shocked.
“Oh dear.” Then she rushed my upstairs where we could make sure no one could sneak up because we could see anyone coming from all directions.

But before we could begin to talk Liam ran up to the house. My stomach lurched. My heart beat for two. He looked even cuter now. What was wrong with me?
He reached the house my mom told me to go down and talk to him. I told her I had to wait until tomorrow. She told me there was n time to waste. I ran downstairs and ran right into him. We fell on the floor and once I came to and realized I was on top of him I got up and fussed with my clothes. He got himself up and said.
"Anything wrong?" He was acting super civil. It was driving me insane. But he was cute when he was civil enough to drive me insane. I had to tell him. I'd tell him tomorrow. I was sweating. My heart was racing. I mumbled,
"I'll meet you at the river tomorrow at 10." And raced into the house.

~~~~

The next morning when I woke up Liam was already gone. I quickly got dressed and ran to the river. He was facing away from me and was sitting on a rock. Just seeing him made my heart skip a beat and have to smile. I made myself not to run to him. I made myself walk calmly. I sat down next to him. I hope I wasn’t sitting to close to creep him out.

“Hi.” I said trying not to show I had no breath. He smiled.

“Hey. Should I tell you first or will you?” I thought of me waiting as he told me and me exploding.

“I’ll go first.” Might as well admit it now.

“Okay. Spill.” I faced my knees. Then I muttered softly only loud enough for him to hear,

“You.” I snuck a peek at him. His face had fallen into unreadable.

“You don’t feel the same way do you? I’ll just go.” I got up and began to run away, but not to the house. To a huge field nearby. Liam didn’t follow me.

I let myself fall to the ground and then I sat up and held myself in a ball and cried.

Within a few minutes I heard footsteps behind me. Could it be him?

They put their arm around me protectively. They leaned down and whispered.

“I’m so sorry I made you feel like I didn’t care about you.” I thought it sounded a bit like Liam’s voice. But it couldn’t be. I looked up and saw Liam’s face, it really was him, a few inches away from mine. My eyes felt swollen. He smiled sadly and brushed a tear from my eye. A bit of my hair fell in my face. He pushed it back weaving his fingers through my hair.

“What do you really feel?” My voice was barely audible.

“This.” That one word ended the conversation and began the kiss. His hand was weaved in my hair and my hand was timidly resting on his neck, pulling him closer.

The kiss ended too soon. When we pulled away my cheeks were flushed and my lips felt swollen in the best way possible. His hair was messed around and my hair was tangled in the spot his hand had been. He rubbed my cheek with his thumb. My tears were dried.

“Is that a reasonable answer?” He asked.

“More than. That was... Amazing.” He smiled.

“Is it legal to feel that much in 5 minutes?” I smiled.

“If it wasn’t, it is now.” He smiled and kissed me again, but shorter this time. Then, slowly, he walked me back to the house. I felt, with his arm around me and the experience I had just had, I was floating and that I could not imagine that anyone could be happier.

This book has 1 comment.

MidniteSwirl BRONZE, Melbourne, Other

Without hate there wouldn't be love, and without love there wouldn't be anything. But that doesn't give you permission to go around hating, so please think before you speak :)

Awww, this was really cute :) The start confused me a little, but other then that, great job!