Splash | Teen Ink

Splash

By Just.a.girl BRONZE, El Dorado, California
Just.a.girl BRONZE, El Dorado, California

"Things change, before you know it what you think will last forever is only a memory."
"If you dont go after what you want the answer is always no, if you don't step forward your always in the same place."

I laid on the beach and watched the waves roll in, when I was little this was my favorite thing to do. It seemed like I had been laying on the beach for hours, before I decided to leave, I went into a little beach shop near by. “Good afternoon,” the guy at the counter said with a perfect smile. “Can I help you with anything?” I looked up at him, as I kept walking. The guy working was around my age probably 16 or 17. He looked like a guy you would see in a movie or the kinda guy you see with the captain of the cheer leading team, not in working in a little beach store. He had sandy blond hair, with the lightest streaks of brown, and pretty blue eyes. The guy he had been talking to had dark brown hair and brown eyes he too looked also looked like someone on TV, but not any where as cute as the other guy. I couldn't think of anything to say and it didn't help that they weren't being to sly that they were checking me up and down.

“Um... no I'm just looking.” I finally choked out.

“Weren't you at that party yesterday?” The blonde guy at the cash register asked. I was at a party yesterday, but I didn't think it was a party he would be at. It was a party for one of my dads friends, it was a huge party but I think I would have noticed him there. “Masons party?” He said after I didn't answer. That was the party I was at.

“Yeah. Were you there?” That was a dumb question, since he knew I was there he was obviously there. How did he see me if I hadn't seen him? I wonder why I didn't noticed him.

“Yea I was there. Let me know if you need any help.”

I tried not to look there way again but it was hard because every once in a while I could see from the corner of my eye they would look over at me. It made my heart pound hard and made me feel a little self conscious that they were looking at me. I moved over to look at the flip flops when a girl, around my age walked into the store. As she walked in she flipped her wet hair, and took her sunglasses off. She was very pretty, with blond hair and cute designer clothes on. What was it with the people here and looking like movie stars. As she walked closer to the two boys they kind of turned around and pretended like they were in some serious conversation.

“Hey,” She said, not getting the clue that they didn't want to talk to her.

“Are you ready to check out?” The one with blond hair, that was working asked her. Since she just walked in she couldn't possibly be ready to check out.

“No I just came to talk to you.” She said to the guy that worked here, the guy with brown hair rolled his eyes at her

“I'm working.” He said getting irritated with her. The one that had brown hair pretended to be reading a dirt bike magazine, even though I knew he wasn't, I knew he was looking at me.

“Can we hang out later?” She asked him, taking his hand in hers. He didn't answer, so she said. “Please, we haven't hung out in along time it will be fun”

“No.” Was all he said.

“Will you call me tonight then?”

“I don't know Alexa.” He looked down at the counter.

“I'm sorry, okay?” he didn't answer. “Bye Anthony.” She said, and then flipped her hair again as she walked out the door. The blond one, Anthony was it? That was working looked over at me and I quickly looked away, but he saw me looking at him. I could hear them talking about the girl that just came in. They started trying on all different glasses.

“No way.” The blonde one that the girl called Anthony said loudly.

“I'll give you five dollars.” The other one said.

“If I do it you better pay up.” Anthony started walking my way.

“Do these make my head look fat?” He asked me wearing pink sunglasses.

“Only a little” I replied. He was even more cute close up.

“I guess I shouldn’t get them then?” He said.

“No, I think they look good. Does your friend want to know if his glasses make his head look fat too or does he just like staring?” We both looked over at his friend that was staring at us and laughed. His friend was a little taller then him with brown wavy hair that went just past his ears too. He was extremely cute too, he was wearing a white shirt with board shorts.

“He just likes staring. Did you have fun last night?” He said. It took me a minute to realize that he was talking about, the party.

“Yeah, it was alright.” It was actually, kind of boring, there were lots and lots of people, most of which weren't my age.

“Yeah it was kind of boring lots of old people. So how do you know Mason?”

“He's my dad's friend.” My dad and Mason are both journalist so they worked on a story one time and ever since, we've been coming down to LA to visit him or he comes to visit us in Sacramento.

“Same here. So are you here to visit Mason?” He asked.

“Kinda where here on vacation, but I guess were here to see Mason too.”

“Are you having fun so far?”

“Yeah.”

“Sometime while your here you have to go to Fred's ice cream, its down there,” He pointed towards where the door that I came in was. “Its really good.”

“Maybe sometime you can show me it.”

“That would be cool.” He said smiling. “By the way I'm Anthony.”

“Faith.” I said.

“Your not going to buy it?” he asked looking at the necklace I put back.

“No I should probably get going.” I said, looking through the window, it was pouring down rain. I wanted to stay and talk to him, I knew I had to be back at the hotel.

“OK, I'll see you around then?”

“Yeah.” I started walking to the door as he walked to the counter.
By the time I got back to the hotel I was soaking wet, from walking back to the hotel in the rain. It wasn't cold rain so I didn't mind it. When I walked into the hotel room Brody, masons son was sitting on the hotel couch watching a TV. Ever since we were young I thought that Brody was really cute, at one point I even liked him. But he was to much like my brother to be anything more then my best friend.

“Why are you here?” I asked him. He just looked at me.

“Why are you here?” He asked back.

“No need to be rude I was just wondering why you are in my hotel room.”

“My dad wanted to see your dad.”

“So then where are they?” I asked him.

“They went to get pizza.”

After I got changed I went back into the hotel living room and sat on the couch next to Brody.

“So do you know Anthony?” I asked him. “He was at the party last night.”

“Of course I do me and Anthony are like this.” He twisted his fingers together. “Why is someone crushin on Anthony?”

“No I was just wondering.”

“I could set your two up if you want.” He offered. I thought about it but it would be kinda dumb since we live so far away from each other.

For the next few days spent I most my time at the beach, either by myself or with Brody. I was staying at Brodys house since our dads were going fishing for a few days.

Brody and I were used to staying by our self's since my mom is a flight attendant she is gone a lot and my dad is a well known journalist they both travel a lot. And Brody's dad is also a journalist and his mom died when he was little. Me and my dad come to LA a lot, since my dad has a lot of friends here from when he lived here. We used to stay here all summer in a grand parents house, until they moved a way, now we just stay here part of the summer, winter and spring break.

I usually just take one of my friends with me, but this time Kayla, my best friend, who I normally take got grounded a few days before we left, so that didn't leave any time for me to invite some one else, so this time I was going to have to make friends or be with Brody the whole time.

“Whats for breakfast?” I asked Brody. I noticed he was already dressed. When one of us made a meal we made the other some too, so I guess he hadn't eaten yet “Where are you going?”

“I'm going surfing. What to come?” He knew I didn't surf. He tried to teach me when I we were younger, but gave up on me after an hour.

I went back to bed after Brody left. When I woke up it was almost eleven, I got up and got ready.

I decided that I would go to the mall the big one that's a half an hour a way, but Brody took the car. I didn't wanna take another car and I didn't know where they kept the keys any way. I didn't know where Brody was going surfing, but I guess it was far enough that he needed the car.

Finally Brody got home, he had another guy with him. They were talking about surfing and they were still wet.

“Hey,” I said turning off the TV.“Brody, I'm going to the mall” I turned around and it was the guy Anthony from the store, I could tell he knew who I was.

“Okay.” Brody told me going into the kitchen. Anthony stayed where he was.

“Aren't you the girl from the party?” He asked like he did in the store the other day. Of course he didn't remember my name.

“Aren't you the guy from the store?” I asked. “And believe it or not I have a name.”

“Sorry, I mean aren't you Faith ” So he did know my name. I ignored him and walked into the kitchen, he followed me.

“Do you want to come?” I asked Brody. He looked at Anthony.

“No, were going to be here.”

“Your loss.” I said. I went to the counter next to where Anthony was standing to grab my purse.

Brody threw Anthony a soda. It went souring threw the air and hit the floor with a loud thunk, when Anthony didn't catch it. He turned his head away from me as he heard it hit the floor.

“I think you were suppose to catch that.” I said to Anthony as I walked over the big puddle of soda and out the kitchen. “So you don't need the car at all tonight, cause I won't be back for a while?”

“No I don't need it and I have other cars any way. You know you could have just taken one of them?” Brody said looking at the food.

“Your taking the car?” Anthony asked me, before I could answer Brody.

“Yeah.” I said and walked to the door. After I was down the stairs the door opened. When I looked up it was Anthony walking towards me.

“What you already get sick of Brody?” I asked as he reached me.

“No I left my phone in the car.” I could see his phone in his front pocket.

“So you have two phones?” I asked him. He looked at me, my heart jumped. “Your phones in your pocket.” I explained. He smiled at me showing his perfect teeth and taking my breath a way.

“Well I just, I didn't know if you knew where the car was.” I had been here my whole life plus it was parked in the drive way so of course I knew where the car was.. But I didn't say that since I wanted to walk with him and I think he wanted to walk with me, or he wanted something since he was making up these excuses to come.

“So Brody is you cousin?” He asked.
“No”

“Boyfriend?” He asked me.

“No, he's just a friend.”

“Just a friend?” he questioned further

“Yes just a friend.”

“How long are you here for?”

“Just another week.”

“Where are you from?”

“Sacramento. How about you, do you live here?” I thought he did because he worked in the store, but I wasn't sure.

“No, I live in Tahoe.”

“So your on vacation?” I remembered he asked me the same thing when we were in the store.

“No, my dad lives here so I visit him when I'm out of school.”

“That's cool. Were you and Brody surfing?”

“Yeah,”

“So what are you guys going to do the rest of the day?” I asked him.

“I don't know, just hang out here.”

“So I'll see you around.” I said. He opened the car door for me. I smiled at him and he smiled back. I wished I wasn't going to the mall so I could stay here with him and Brody. But I couldn't, I didn't need to get close to anyone.

After I got home from the mall Anthony was still here. We watched TV and played xbox. I liked hanging out with Brody because he usually included me in things when his friends were over even when we were little kids. Anthony was hilarious and he was also really good at video games.

“Hello,” Brody answered his phone. He walked into the other room and continued to talk.

“So you got a phone?” Anthony asked me.

“Yes I have a phone.”

“Can I see it?” He asked I didn't know why he wanted my phone but I gave it to him any way. He was typing in something but he wouldn't let me see what.

“What are you doing?” I asked trying to look at the screen but he turned away.

“That's for me to know and you to find out.” He said. I tried grabbing my phone. But he pulled it away. “Here have mine instead.” He pulled his phone out of his pocket, as soon as he handed it to me it started ringing.

“Um.. I think you got a text or something.” I told him.

“Can you read it to me?” He asked. It took me a minute to figure out how to find the text. I read it with out looking at the number or reading it first.

“I would like to know if you will go to ice cream with me?” It said. I got another text it said 'Yes I will go with you Faith.'

“What? I'm confused.” I looked at the number and it was my phone number. Anthony texted me from my phone so I would ask him to go to ice cream. 'Very cleaver.' I texted back.

“So will you go with me?” He asked. I didn't know if I should go with him. But what did I have to lose?

“Yes Anthony I will go with you.” I tried grabbing for my phone again but he caught my arm before I could get the phone. He held it for a minute and looked me in the eyes. He slowly let go of my arm as Brody walked in the room.

The next day seemed as if it was never ending, I thought it would never be time to go to ice cream with Anthony. It took along time until I finally decided what to wear. I decided on my jean skirt and the pink tank top, that my sister got me for Christmas last year. I did my hair in a cute side pony.

I walked to ice cream from the house since it wasn't that far, I was a little early when I got there since I thought that it would take longer to find then it did. I found a empty table that I sat at until he came, it got more crowded as I waited for him. Their was a big group that came in, I recognized the one girl she was the girl that came into the store the other day.

What if she saw me with Anthony, would she be mad? Was Anthony telling the truth when he said that she wasn't his girlfriend? I hope she leaves before he got here. Pretty soon it turned from 6:30 to 6:45. I was getting ready to leave when he came in the door, he looked at me and smiled, I smiled back and I was glad I didn't leave yet and I didn't care what the girl thought any more, me and Anthony were just friends. He looked over at the table the girl was sitting at and all the other people at the table. When he saw them he walked right past the table I was sitting at and pulled up a chair at there table.

I felt hurt, like he set me up, like he didn't care that I was sitting there and he didn't even come over. He started talking to them, pretending like he wasn't even here because he asked me to be. I got up and was almost running out of the store.

I knew I shouldn't be upset that he choose them over me when he asked me to be there, girls like me aren't suppose to be with guys like him. He was suppose to be with the phone number girl, the beautiful movie star types of girls. I wasn't ugly I just wasn't beautiful like the girl in the store, I had medium brown hair that was long. I was popular but not because I was pretty or a snob, but because I was nice to everyone.

I should have known he didn't really want to see me again. I went down to the beach by where I was earlier today, I took off my shoes and stood near the water so that every once in awhile the waves would come up and hit my feet. Everything seemed different when you were watching the waves come in everything seemed simple, nothing seemed wrong. I stayed at the beach until I didn't care any more that Anthony had just walked right past me like I wasn't waiting there for him. It shouldn't matter he was just some boy that I barely knew. I went back up to the board walk, to a smoothie place a few stores down from the ice cream.

I ordered my favorite smoothie, banana and strawberry. I slowly drank it until there was barely any left, the smoothie place was quit besides the music and the blender when the occasional person would come in and order a smoothie. I was texting my friend Kayla that I hadn't talked to for a few days when, Anthony walked in, he went to the counter.

“Hey Bryan usual.” he said to the guy at the counter. I tried to keep my head down so he wouldn't see me. Not that he cared enough to actually talk to me.

He started walking towards me while they made his smoothie, he sat down across from me. “Hey,” He said, he looked embarrassed. I didn't say anything back I just kept texting.
“What kind did you get?” He asked looking at my smoothie. He thought he could just make me forget that he had ignored me? I got up and threw my smoothie away and headed for the door.

“Faith wait.” he said walking to me.

“You didn't seem to care if I waited earlier.” I said still walking to the door.

“Yes I did.”

“No,” I turned around so I was facing him. “You didn't. You walked right past me like I wasn't even waiting for you, like you weren't the one that asked me to go there in the first place.”

“I'm sorry, I didn't mean to.” How do you not mean to walk right past someone when you asked them there.

“Yes you did, I thought you were different, but your not.” I walked closer to the door. He grabbed my hand. My heart started beating hard.

“Please just give me a second chance!” he plead. Pulling me a little closer and kept my hand.

“Why? So next time you can ignore me again?” I pulled my hand back even though I didn't want to, I wanted him to hold it. He looked a little hurt.

“No so you can see I'm not like that, I... I just want to talk to you.”

“Anthony your smoothie.” The guy at the counter said putting Anthony's smoothie on the counter.

“Please wait.” He said to me. I thought about leaving but I knew he would follow me if I left so I waited until he got his smoothie.

“You have ten seconds, to tell me why I shouldn't leave.”

“Okay deal, but can we sit?”

“What ever.” I said following him to the table.

“Want some?” He said offering me his smoothie.

“Ten, Nine eight,” I started counting.

“Because I really want a second chance and,” he was talking really fast before the ten seconds were up. “Your really pretty and not like other girls and your nice and sweet and funny and smart and I really like talking to you and I don't want you to be mad at me and I didn't mean to hurt you it's just I don't know, I don't know why I sat with them, I don't even know what I was thinking,” He stopped to take a breath “and your pretty and nice.” He said again.

“You already said that.” I said looking down.

“I know but I don't want you to leave and I don't know what else to say its just that I was suppose to go bowling with them, but then I canceled to stay at Brodys. So they were already mad at me, and I was going to have you come over their with us but then you left and they started questioning me because Brennan my friend told them that I couldn't go yesterday, because I wanted to hang out with you instead, so I couldn't leave the table-” I cut him off.

“But yesterday you were with Brody not me.”

“But I knew you would be coming back from the mall and I wanted to see you after, thats kinda why I stayed with Brody so long, but don't tell him that

“Yes, I like talking to you,” I didn't know what to say, he didn't go bowling with all his friends because he wanted to talk to me on the phone. I knew I couldn't be mad at him any more. I looked at him and smiled.

“So are you still mad?” He asked

“No I'm not mad.”

“Good, because even though you are really hot when your mad, I like it better when you smile.” My heart jumped. Did he just call me hot? Anthony, the one that's so nice and cute just called me hot. I could fell my self blushing. “Can we pretend that earlier never happened?”

“Sure.” I said, I couldn't believe I was here with him. “How did you find me any way?”

“I saw you sitting on the beach from the ice cream shop, and then I saw you come in here so when they finally let me go I knew you would still be in here.”

“Oh,” I said. He was watching me at the beach?

“How can I make it up to you?” He asked.

“Don't do it again?” I suggested.

“Deal.” He said smiling at me making him seem even more unrealistic, like someone that cute shouldn't be here, with me. We both didn't say anything for a minute. He handed his smoothie to me, I took a drink. It was blueberry and pomegranate, not my favorite, but it didn't taste that bad since it was his and he was sharing it with me.

“Do still want to hang out with me tonight?” He asked when I handed his smoothie back.

“Do you wanna hang out with me?” I asked.

“Of course, would I be here if I didn't?” He said, I like that about him to he wasn't afraid to say something or act cool, he didn't say 'I guess' or 'only if you want you' like other guys I knew.

“What do you want to do?” I asked.

“I don't know, the beach?”

“Yeah.” We stayed at the smoothie place until he finished his smoothie with the help of me. We walked down to the beach and sat next to the water.

“I love the beach at night.” I said.

“Me too, but its kind of creepy who knows what is lurking in the water, what if something jumps out right now.”

“Yeah cause theres so many monsters in the ocean.”

“There are.” It was black outside, the ocean was pretty and mysterious, with the stars out.

“Do you like working at surf shop?” I asked him.

“I'd rather be surfing or doing something else, but I guess, its all right if I have to have a job.”
We watched the ocean for a few minutes. “Have you been to LA before?” He asked me.

“Yeah I come all the time.”

“How long are you staying?”

“I'm not sure, few more weeks, another month.” It was getting colder outside and darker.

“Do you have friends here?”

“Besides Brody? Nope.”

“Are you cold?” He asked me after I shivered. Even though I was I said no.

“Here,” He said handing his jacket. I put it on. It was soft and I wasn't cold any more.

“Thanks,” I said smiling at him.

Me and Anthony talked on the beach for along time until it was late and he walked me home. I was exited to see him again.