Alison or Alec? | Teen Ink

Alison or Alec?

By kjxl415, San Francisco, California
kjxl415, San Francisco, California

May 1872
The salty scent of the crisp ocean breeze filled the air. The sun shined its glory upon the glittering waves of the sea. It should have been lovely but Alison Kate Williams was trapped, trapped on the deck of this horrid ship and trapped in her scratchy muslin shirt. The crew and their families had an entire day before their departure from the port, for the captain had requested them to come early, but she had yet to explore the rest of the ship. All of the people present,seemed to be quite nervous for there had not been much talking. On deck, weary mothers were watching their energetic children run around while the men stowed gear and readied sails.
“Why is there nothing to do? Are voyages always this dull? What am I supposed to do for five months? I cannot believe Mum and Father made me come here.” Alison groaned as she stared into the murky green waves of the ocean shore. Suddenly, a burst of chuckles came from a shaggy blond haired boy nearby.
“Hello. I could not help but hear you talking. I’m Drew, the captain’s son. I am assuming that you do not want to leave England for America?” said the teenage boy.
“Um…Hi, I’m Alis--Alec Williams. Sorry, you were not supposed to hear that. I didn’t realize I was talking out loud. And no, I am pleased to be leaving for America, but there is just not much to do here,” Alison replied, fidgeting with her unaccustomed britches. Phew, that was close. I hope he does not suspect anything.
“Alec...Alec Williams, your name sounds so familiar. Oh, you’re going to be part of the crew! My father told me that there was going to be boy my age working. He said that we’d be great friends for everyone else in the crew would be... well ancient!” smiled Drew. Like most females at the time, Alison’s only job was to help with the housework. She had never experienced anything that required rather tiresome physical work nor had she ever had an education relating to nauticality.
“Is that so, I hope that we can work together peacefully,” she replied warily as she assessed him. Not bad, cerulean blue eyes, tall, and seems amicable.
“Oh my! I must go. It was really great meeting you,” shouted Drew as he ran towards the captain’s cabin. Alison then turned back to face the ocean, leaning against the rail. Maybe it won’t be so bad after all…

Alison awoke in the dark to the ringing of the ship’s bell, the signal for the crew to wake up and to meet by the main mast in ten minutes. As she was getting ready, she got a glimpse of herself in the shiny tin box that held some of her belongings. She stared, and her reflection returned the gaze. Alison was in shock. I yearn for my old self. Why did my wavy caramel hair have to go? I miss my fragrant soaps and dresses..when will I be free to be me again?
“When?” she cried out softly, trying not to wake up the others whom shared the room. After several minutes of attempting to compose herself, she finally left her room to meet with these strangers. As she walked over to the mast, she looked at the sky above. It is barely dawn! Why do I have to be here?

Upon Alec’s arrival, Drew’s mood seemed to brighten, for Alec was the only one his age who might be enjoyable to be with. Drew was told by his father that they would both be in the custodian and culinary section of the crew. He was being forced to work away from the captain’s cabin on the ship because his father wanted to punish him. Right before the voyage, Drew had accidentally dropped an important family heirloom, an exquisite ceramic vase created by his great grandfather’s cousin.His father wanted him to “learn to conduct himself in a proper manner in order to become a mature adult. In addition, Drew could not keep relying on him to, and must learn to handle situations with the status of his father.” Thus, he would be like any other man on the crew without special treatment.

“You’re early,” teased Drew.
“Oh shush,” Alison replied with a grin, “Do you know what this meeting is about?”
“First, we are just going to review the rules and be introduced. Then we are going to get our assignments, and get to work. Luckily, I arranged for us to work with the kitchen staff and do clean-up after meals by convincing Father to tell Mr. James, our supervisor, that we are younger and weaker than all the other men.”
“Really, you actually did that? That is great, thank you. I owe you one. Pick anything, and I will do it.”
“Alright, how about I clean the deck while you clean the cellar?”
“Why? Are you scared of monstrous rats creeping up behind you?” Alison joked, “And to think that you were brave!”
Just as the two started laughing, an unattractive tall thin man with curly auburn hair came down the galley. “Good morning lads, I am Mr. James, and I will be your supervisor for this voyage. I see that you have all woken to the bell this fine morning. From this point on, if the bell is rung for several times in five second intervals with a chime at the end, this means that we are having an emergency and for you all to meet outside of the captain’s cabin. Understood? I have arranged for this meeting today because this is the day we set sail. The captain had requested for everyone to arrive on the ship one day prior so that we can prepare for the passengers, and greet them when they arrive on board. We will be having a social gathering later this week to welcome the families. In a moment, I will be calling out your name and your duties for the next three weeks. Look lively now,” said Mr. James quickly.
Just as Drew had predicted, the two did end up together in the meal preparation and clean up group along with an older man and several others. The older man introduced himself as Henry, the head chef. He would be in charge of all the food on board. Beside Henry were two others who would be his assistants in the kitchen. Together with Drew and Alison, those three would put together meals and serve the food to the passengers. On the other side of Mr. James stood all the other men in a line, including Alison’s father. Many had been in the Royal Navy or had other nautical experience; all were tanned and physically fit. They would be moving cargo, cleaning up, and moving the sails on the masts, while the rest of the crew tended to the passengers.
“What are you all doing? Get to work!” exclaimed Mr. James as the cabin boys introduced each other. Hastily, they scurried away from the mast to start their tasks before the full-fare-paying passengers arrived.
In the kitchen, Drew and Alison were assigned to prepare and dice the vegetables that were going to be part of the evening meal while the others were to discuss the menu for the upcoming weeks with the captain. While washing some carrots, Alison began to wonder how her family was doing without her father and herself. As she began to ponder, she did not hear Drew calling her.
“Alec…Alec… Hey! Are you listening?” asked Drew whispered impatiently.
“Oh, I am sorry, daydreaming I guess. Could please you repeat that?” replied Alison.
“You are one strange fellow. Are you alright?”
“I’m fine. Go on with what you were saying.”
“Oh, so as I was asking earlier, what do you like to do?”
“Well, I like to cook and se- I mean I usually go swimming after school. I also do enjoy a good game of jacks. How about you?” replied Alison. I need to stop doing that! I am Alec Williams, a manly adolescent, not a girl named Alison.
“I guess you could call me a clown or jester. I love playing jokes on others, but I also know when to be serious.”
“Really? I would not have realized that!”
“Of course, I would not lie about this. Anyways, do you want to play a a prank on that stuffy Mr. James,” he asked with a smirk.
Alison thought, “No! What if we get caught?...But if I say yes, he would trust me more and I would appear more boyish. What to do?”
“So, are you in? Don’t be such a chicken,”
“Oh, alright! What is your plan?” replied Alison as Drew grinned with delight.

“In here!” exclaimed Drew, “Alec, hurry before they come.” Alison ran down the dark narrow corridor as she tried to smother her laughs. She bumped into Drew as she ducked into the safety of the shadows in a dark corner.
“Shhh! You have to stop laughing or else he will hear you,” he warned quietly. “I think he’s coming. Stay quiet!” The two adolescents watched silently as the unpleasant man walked to his room.
“Oh, what is this?” said Mr. James out loud. Outside of his room door was an envelope and decorated box. Inside the envelope was a letter that stated:

Dear Mr. James,
I have been admiring you since the first time my eyes set upon you. I loved your charming voice and dashing eyes. I hope you are able to feel my sincerity with these chocolates.
Love, Y

Eagerly, the man tore open the box and shoved three of the treats into his mouth. “And Mother said that no one would ever like a man with a face like mine,” he said smugly. Little did he know that the brown clumps were made up sugar, fish guts, and lemons.
“My word! What is this filthy thing?” shouted Mr. James outraged after spitting out the disgusting creations. Drew and Alison ran away trying not to laugh at the man’s reaction.
Later, when they had finished their many chores, Alison declared, “I‘m beginning to understand why you like doing this! I thought it was crazy as a loon to risk doing something like that, but that was ever so pleasant... well for us!”
“I agree,” beamed Drew, “It was very jolly indeed! I am glad this is no longer useless nonsense to you.” As they finished up their conversation, the dour Mr. James came by.
“Good evening boys, how was your dinner?” he greeted them.
“It was great, sir!” Alison stammered.
“Never been better. How about you, sir?” replied Drew straining to remain calm.
“It was delicious. Good job with the meal tonight,” Mr. James said as he walked away causing Alison and Drew to exchange nervous glances.

It had been nearly a week since the incident with Mr. James. It was the day of the welcoming social gathering. Mr. James and Henry had been frantically rushing around the ship to make sure that everything was in place. They even called Drew and Alison exceptionally early in the morning to prepare for this event which would happen in the evening. The two were to serve as waiters by carrying trays of food around the deck. The sounds of the orchestra were came from the distance.
“Are you finished yet? Do you have enough food on there? What time is it? When are they coming? Did you turn off the stove? Where is Drew?” questioned Mr. James panicking.
“He’s right there with Henry,” Alison replied as she pointed to her left, “They’re putting the finishing touches on the terrine, and slicing the bread. Do not worry Mr. James, nothing will go wrong.”
“Well, tell them to hurry up because I hear the passengers arriving,” Mr. James said. As he walked off to greet the incoming group, Drew came with a large tray.
“Help, I am about to drop this,” he warned, gingerly setting down the tray.
“It’ll be fine. Is there anything else you need help with?” Alison replied as she grabbed some plates off of the tray.
“Could you please get that big box from the shelf over there on the side and bring it to the captain’s cabin with me? I have to bring this to storage so I’ll go with you. Be careful Alec; the box looks rather heavy.”
“Of course,” she said as she picked up the white box. At least the ocean was fairly calm. As they wove their way across the brightly lit, crowded deck, they heard some screaming and giggling.
“What is that?” asked Alison
“Alec! Look out!” cried Drew as he looked behind them. Alison quickly turned, but it was too late… A stampede of carefree children came running, crashing into the slim girl, pushing her over the thin rail at the edge of the boat.
“ALEC!” Drew screamed. “ALEC!” as Alison fell closer and closer to the magnificent waves of the endless ocean. Her auburn wig dropped into the water and her long caramel locks whipped against her face from the wind. The water was icy as Alison flayed about. Time stopped; submerged in the water, she felt weightless and free, but then the frantic thrashing began, and was when the world turned black.

“AHHHHH!” Alison moaned. Drenched in cold sweat, she awoke in her room on the ship. “Thank goodness, it was just a dream,” she said with relief after quickly glancing around.
“No, actually it was not,” said a quiet voice. It came from Drew who had been sitting in a chair by the corner of the small room the entire time.
“What did you say?” Alison replied groggily.
“I know you’re a girl Alec, no wait, I mean Alison. Last night, you were accidentally pushed over the rail by a group of children. They were chasing a rat around the deck. Anyway, you were drowning and your father dove in after you. Lucky he and some rope were near by. Afterward we hauled you up, you spluttered and the ship doctor tended to you before you were brought back to your room, which had been cleared so that you could have this space”
Sitting up quickly, Alison asked, “Where’s my father?”

“He’s working right now, that is why I am here.”
“Oh, thank heavens,” Alison said with relief. Then, “Did he tell you?”
“He said it would be best if you did, but he did tell me your name and apologized.”
“I am so sorry. I wished I told you, I really did. There were so many times when I wanted to tell you I am not Alec but Alison Kate Williams, a girl. I came here because my twin brother Alec got sick. We have been planning for an entire year to move from our farming town Enka in England to America, the land of opportunity. We managed to get on this ship because Father promised the captain two male workers to pay for the voyage fare. My family had planned for Father and Alec to go to America first and send for us later on, so I was the next best option. I had to do it. It was for the future of my family,” Alison explained, “I am honestly very sorry for betraying your trust. Can we please start over?”
“Alison, I am not sure if we can. I trusted you with my secrets, and my father is furious at the deception! However, he said that he would discuss this with you and your father after your recovery. Hopefully, it will not be too severe...I cannot believe that you were actually a girl the entire time. How am I supposed to believe you again?”
“Please, Drew. You...you are my best friend.”
After a moment of silence, Drew said, “I…I just wished I knew. I was just so confused. I thought that there was something wrong with me… I did not know what was though. I always felt so relieved and unconcerned of what was going on in the present when I was with you. Before, I had barrier around me, but my guard was lowered when you were around. I never had these types of feelings towards anyone else…Do you understand now?”
“Drew, I-” Alison began to say as her father came in.
“Alison, dear child I am so glad you’re alright,” he said while hugging her.
“Father, I am fine. Drew is here,” she replied, pointing to the boy.
“Oh, I am sorry. I guess I will be taking my leave. Have a nice evening, Mr. Williams,” he said, touching his forelock as he went to the door. As he twisted the knob, he turned back and said, “Oh, and Alison, I will see you later,” with a familiar genuine smile.

kjxl415 said...
on Mar. 7 2011 at 10:26 pm
kjxl415, San Francisco, California
Thanks! It's my 3rd short story I ever written. It's for an English assignment, but I thought it was fun

on Mar. 7 2011 at 8:31 pm
CrazyWriter GOLD, Lorton Station, Virginia

"Once you have given up on the most important thing in your life, you begin to die, because then, you gradually lose your true self"~Hana Kimi
"Someone who can lie to themself. . . is lonely, and in pain"~Hana Kimi

oh sorry about the confusion i thought itwas a chapter--story...... still pretty great :D

CRAzyWRiTeR

kjxl415 said...
on Mar. 7 2011 at 8:29 pm
kjxl415, San Francisco, California
Actually, it is just a short story and not actually a book, but when I was publishing it, it said it was recommended that I put it in the book section. Sorry about that.

on Mar. 6 2011 at 6:08 pm

I love the plot i do but however its going to fast. No offense but they found out she was a girl in the 1st chapter?  Just asking. Please continue but i thinkit moves too fast unless..... unless you have an even better story about to be hatched...... ill be reading

~CRazYWrItEr~