New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

The Summer I Found Myself

By , Flint, MI
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »

So Alive

After that night Mike and I were inseparable. He picked me up to go to parties with him and we even double dated with Shelly and Carter.
Shelly and Carter were official. I saw something in Shelly that I didn’t even know existed. Her eyes, every time I saw her, were glowing with happiness. She laughed at nothing and smiled when every one in the world seemed to be sad. She was this girl that I’ve never met before.
I looked at her through her mirror as she got ready for the day. The life in her eyes was breathtaking.
“So, are we going to go to the beach today?” I asked Shelly.
“Well, I don’t know, because Carter really wanted to take me out to dinner. Do you think we can do it tomorrow?” She turned and smiled at me.
“Yea, That will be cool. Maybe Carter and Mike can come too.” I added.
She looked at me and her face lit up. “That would be great.” She smiled.
“Alright, well I’m going to meet Mike up at his house. I will see you later.”
“Alright, text me.” She turned back to the mirror.
I walked back to my house and on the way Mike passed me and picked me up.
“Hey you.” He smiled at me and kissed me.
“Where are we going today?” I asked.
“I was thinking we could go to Fort Raine today. Have dinner and walk along the beach.” He looked over at me with his beautiful green eyes and smiled.
“Sounds perfect.”
We drove to Fort Raine and outside of this Pizza Parlor he took my hand and kissed me. I felt an electrical current run through my body. I looked up at him as his eyes slowly opened and a smile played along his lips.
We walked into the Pizza Parlor and ate. Afterwards we started walking along the beach as the sun started to set over the horizon.
“So, whats your favorite board game?” he asked.
“I don’t really like board games but if I had to choose I think it would be Candy Land.” I laughed.
“Really” He said deep in thought.
“Hey, are we going to see the fireworks Tuesday? After all, the fourth of July only comes once.” I stared over the vast ocean ahead of me.
“Well, I guess we could. The only thing is Dylan’s dad, my uncle, is throwing this little cook-out. Would you like to come for a little bit? It might be a little weird, though.”
“I don’t mind. I would love to come.” I smiled and we both sat down on the sand and watched the sun slowly sink over the horizon.

***

I woke up that Tuesday morning with great expectations. I got ready and decided to wear a pair of Capri’s and a halter top. I curled my hair and put on a little bit of make-up.
I Drover over to Mike’s and he was there on the front porch waiting for me. He waved and walked over to me. I could see in the backyard there was a lot of people milling around.
“Hey, are you sure you want to enter? I think everyone is pretty much drunk or tipsy.” He laughed.
“I think I’ll survive.” I said.
“Alright, well let’s go.” He grabbed my hand.
We walked out into the backyard and Mike waved at Dylan who had some girl I remember from the grade under me hanging all over him. He guided me over to a guy with a button up shirt on and khaki shorts handling the grill.
“Hey Don, this is Macy.” I smiled at him and shook his hand.
“Where did you find this one? Do you go to school with Dylan?” Don asked.
“Yea, we had a few classes together in ninth grade.”
“Did you get held back or something?” he laughed.
“Actually, no, I started taking AP classes in tenth grade.” I said.
Disinterested in what I was saying he asked “Been to any of the football games to see him play?”
“I’m not really one for sports. I went to one game but to be honest, I had no idea what was going on.” I said forcing a smile.
“Oh,” he said “Well, where did you meet Mike at?”
“I met him at…” I caught Mike out of the corner of my eye shaking his head, eyes wide. Don, noticing that something was going on turned to look at Mike but He stopped in time. “I met him at a friend’s bonfire.”
“Oh, well it was nice to meet you.” He turned his attention back to the grill.
Me and Mike walked over to the patio and sat down at a picnic table.
“Sorry, he can be a bit overwhelming.” He said as he wrapped his arm around me.
“It’s okay. So, what exactly happened that you moved here?” I asked.
“It’s kind of a long story.” He said looking away from me.
“It’s fine, I think we have time.”
“Well, it all began when I met this kid in school. He was a drug dealer and told me he could get me fast cash. At that time I was so ready to move out of my dad’s house. He was prone to random freak outs and we fought all the time.” He paused for a second to make sure I was still listening. “Well, he told me he knew this guy who could give me a job but I had to talk to him first. When I met him he told me he needed a guy to boost cars for parts. And I told him that I could do that because I knew how to hot-wire.”
“Wait, what does boosting a car mean?” I asked confused.
“It means steal.” He chuckled a bit before starting back up.
“Where did you learn how to hot-wire a car?”
“I learned from this other kid I knew from school.”
“Gee, where did you go to school at?” I asked mortified.
“I went to Whittier High School. Anyways, it started out fine the first couple of weeks. I was making a lot of money from this guy. I boosted around 25 cars. It became almost like an addiction. I was always thinking about how much faster I could be and what car I was going to boost next. I would set a quota for myself, each one more intense than the last, until I ran into the cops. The picked me up trying to unlock this red cavalier until an alarm went off. I got so big headed that I didn’t even bother check if there was an alarm. Next thing I knew, I was cornered.
“They picked me up and put me in the holding cell and called my dad. He kicked me out and I called my uncle. He didn’t even want me to live here. He said I would be a bad influence on Dylan’s football career, and that having me here would take his eye off the prize. If that even makes sense.” He said laughing a little bit.
“I’m glad you told me this.” I said squeezing his hand.
“Yea, Its pretty easy to talk to you. Usually I have my guard up with everyone.” He said smiling.
We walked around and talked to a few people and ate and listened to music. It was a nice Forth of July with the sun beating down.
“Well, the fireworks are going to start in about an hour or and hour and a half. Where do you want to watch them at?” Mike asked me.
“I think we should go to Fort Raine. The beach and the ocean is so beautiful over there. I think it will be perfect.”
“Alright, well I’ll follow you over to your house so you can drop off your moms car and then we can head out there. How does that sound?”
“It sounds great.”
I drove back home and, just as he said, he followed behind me. I dropped the keys off inside and put them on the hook and went outside. I saw him sitting in his truck and I couldn’t help but feel so lucky. He turned toward me and the sun was setting in the background blanketing him in a warm orange glow. Excitement overwhelmed me as I felt so in love.
“You are looking very beautiful today.” He said as I climbed up in his truck.
“Thank you. You always know how to make my day.”
We headed out to Fort Raine. As we started entering the city limits their were cars everywhere. Along the shore fires dotted the horizon. Families milled around with bored disaffected teens trailing behind. We parked the truck and followed the crowds of people up towards the beach. We sat down and watched as the sun sunk into the ocean.
After waiting and watching the stars appear overhead dotting the sky, the fireworks finally started. The splashes of color stretched over the boardwalk and beach. The bang had people cheering from all over. The beaches were packed with couples leaning into each other and families. Some were roasting marshmallows over the fire and some were lighting off their own sparklers. Someone had a radio nearby blasting the star spangled banner.
We stayed sitting on the beach watching the art work being painted into the sky for a while. I was sitting between his legs leaning back into him. He ran his fingers up and down my arm giving me goose bumps. I looked up into Mike’s eyes as the colors blue and red reflected off his face. He looked down at me and kissed me. I felt my heart stop and excitement run straight through me.
The fireworks ended with a loud continuous bang and colors. We got up from the sand and walked back to the truck. The traffic was so bad. Horns were being honked and people were walking everywhere. We finally got out of the city limits and back to my house. Me and Mike sat in front for a long time kissing when I finally told him goodbye and walked back up to my house so happily in love.

PurpleWriter said...
Mar. 23, 2011 at 4:14 pm:
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PrincessSparkle replied...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 12:21 am :
Thank you. it means a lot.

AprilSunshine said...
Mar. 19, 2011 at 8:49 pm:
Oh my gosh... This story is amazing! I cried! Keep writing!

PrincessSparkle replied...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 12:21 am :
I def am writing another book. The one I have going for me now thats uo on this site is Under the Summer Sky. I think everyone will enjoy it as much as they enjoyed this one.

ColorMeScarlet said...
Mar. 16, 2011 at 7:28 pm:

I think your story is really nice, and I was drawn in with the summary. However, as soon as I started reading Chapter one, I had to stop. It was really choppy, turning me off to reading it completely.

But I think, if you lengthen your sentences, it would be even better.

PrincessSparkle replied...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 12:23 am :
I agree about the choppy sentences but I think if you gave it a chance you will really enjoy it. I am writing another story where I am developing the charaters more thoroughly. Thanks for the tips.

PrincessSparkle said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:25 pm:
Oh yea and it's finished. lol.

PrincessSparkle said...
Feb. 18, 2011 at 3:41 pm:
Yupp, I got lazy and decided to screw trying to make it perfect. It's the first book I ever wrote so w/e. Think what you may but My friends and family love it.

PerfectMGymnast This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 11, 2011 at 11:43 pm:
i enjoyed reading this! once i stared reading the firsr chapter i was hooked and did not stop reading!! i hope to see more chapers from you soon! your an amazing writier!!! :)

PrincessSparkle replied...
Feb. 12, 2011 at 7:06 pm :
Yea, thanks. I kind of hit a rough patch while writing but Im also trying to finish it. Because of the amount of comments I got concerning the typo's and punc. mistakes I wanted to go back and edit before publishing it.

alex9426 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 7:36 pm:
You have a really great start here. It would be a lot easier to read if you edited it and worked on the grammar and flow; right now, it's a little choppy and the grammar problems sometimes detract from the story. Fix those things, and this story will go from good to awesome!

drmstarlet21 replied...
Mar. 11, 2011 at 10:46 am :
I agree that you should work on the flow and the errors. It being in one of the tops spots, I thought I would be hooked more than I am. I really like your story, I just feel like I am not getting into it. Once you smooth out the choppiness, I am sure I will become more engaged.

PrincessSparkle replied...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 12:25 am :
Thanks for the tips. I am currently trying to smooth out the kinks but I am also working on another title making my time a little bit cramped.

ANYAtheGREAT<3 said...
I am so in love with the charactes in this book. This was one of the first books I've found on here that I actually liked. You deserve that Number 1 spot for sure. Finish it and you never know, you might just make it. Btw, Congrats on doing such a great job. I would love to read some of your other stuff too.  Check out my work. But seriously, I love it, Juss saying .

hrf1434 said...
Jan. 29, 2011 at 10:06 am:

I love this story, please write more

PrincessSparkle replied...
Jan. 29, 2011 at 2:49 pm :
I definantly am. I am working on a couple chapters at the moment.

Writomania This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 28, 2011 at 8:26 am:

hey!

this is a very good piece of work.

But at some places where the name Mike should be, u've written Macy by mistake

and i think that the beer pong came thing which could've been well described, just lasts for like two seconds which ruins the winning effect.

Apart from a few grammatical errors, I'd say, WELL DONE!

PrincessSparkle replied...
Jan. 29, 2011 at 2:48 pm :
Thanks for the tips and yeah, I've been working on better discripting things.

Scarlett_Masquerade said...
Omg! This is amazing! I would really love to read the rest of it.

PrincessSparkle said...
If you Like this book so much please check out my book 'Under the Summer Sky'. I think you guys will enjoy it.