Love From A Distance | Teen Ink

Love From A Distance

By clearwater1408 GOLD, Blacksburg, South Carolina
clearwater1408 GOLD, Blacksburg, South Carolina

time is our most valuable thing so dont live with regrets of wasting it, live like there will be no tomorrow

Author's note:

I wrote this story because many people fight for love but they don't understand true love until you are willing to give up everything to have it. I want everyone to see how much you have to fight and how much it could hurt to get to those moments of happiness, to be together.

Astrea watched as the prince was taught to ride a horse, he was two years older than her. She was lady of a powerful house hold but she had lost her father when she was only four. She was now twelve years old and all she had was her mother who loved her dearly. Her mother, Lady Flora took her daughter to the palace a lot so she could play with the prince because the king looked upon the little girl favorably. The prince was always gentle with the girl and would even play dolls with her if she requested. The little girl started to look up to the prince and would often dream of marrying someone like him. All of a sudden a dark cloud came towards the village and everyone watched in surprise as it started to let black rain fall. The next thing everyone knew, they were being dragged inside. Astrea watched as the black rain pelted her mother but Lady Flora just kept walking towards the castle calmly.

After Lady Flora got into the castle, they locked the doors. Astrea was scared but the fact the prince was holding her hand tightly helped keep her calm. The rain kept pouring down for three days and when it finally cleared the ground was covered in dead grass. The prince quickly turned his head to look at Lady Flora who was only smiling at them but he felt like she was in pain. He wasn’t able to think about it too long because of Astrea’s hand shaking. He looked at her and realized that she had thought of the same thing he did. Astrea ran to her mother and threw her arms around her legs. Lady Flora patted her daughters head and told everyone that she was going to head home with Astrea. She took Astrea’s hand and walked towards the carriage. Four days passed and the prince hadn’t seen Lady Flora or Astrea. The king invited them to the castle out of worry but his new wife wasn’t pleased about the lower class lady and her daughter being invited to the castle. The new queen knew better than to voice her thoughts so she kept them to herself.
Lady Astrea was helped out of the carriage by the prince and the King helped Lady Flora out. The queen just smiled but the prince could see the anger seething out of her. Lumen grabbed Astrea and pulled her away with him. The prince didn’t know why but he felt the need to protect her from the new queen. “Come Astrea, Let’s go for a walk in the garden. It’s in full bloom right now and it’s very beautiful.” Lumen said smiling at her. “My mother, I’m worried about her.” Astrea said looking at flowers. Prince Lumen looked at Lady Astrea and he felt sadness wash over him. He couldn’t tell her the truth, he didn’t want to see her cry. He knew that she would eventually cry and he didn’t know if he could deal with that.
He wanted to enjoy her smiles while she was able to still smile.

He knew that as king he would have to do difficult things but he didn’t think he would be able to do it to her. Lumen reached out and took her hand and walked towards the palace. Astrea needed to spend as much time as she could with her mother before it was too late. Astrea ran towards her mother and hugged her. Lumen pulled his father into the study and told him he wanted to talk to him. Father, I think that Lady Flora and Astrea need to stay here with us. I honestly believe that Lady Flora will be leaving us shortly and when she does I want to be there for Astrea.” Lumen said. “My son, are you sure this is a good idea? I just worry about you rushing into making Lady Astrea into your betrothed.” The king said concerned. “Do you mean to make bad of Astrea or do you think that I am so incompetent of making wise choices?” The prince asked angrily. “My son, I am only worried about you and the village. Not to say that Lady Astrea isn’t a kind girl and she will make a fine lady. Are you sure you aren’t going to make a rash decision with the Lady Astrea around?” The king asked bluntly. “No father, I just know what it’s like to lose your mother at such a young age.” Prince Lumen said with sadness hidden in his eyes.
“My son, I think you are right. I try not to think of the sad night we lost your mother but to know that this young girl would have to go on alone after her mother had perished.” The king said sadly. “The new queen will have no say about Astrea, I won’t let her treat her poorly.” The prince said. “How dare you talk about your mother in such a way, she gave up her home and people to marry me and come here. In fact, I planned on letting her take care of the girl when I agreed she may stay in this castle.” The king said angrily. “That women is not my mother and never will be, do you understand me?” Prince Lumen said furious with his father. “She is your mother because I married her and she will decide what is best for the girl. That is all that you must know.” The king said trying to intimidate his son. “Don’t punish me or Astrea for your mistakes father.” The prince yelled at his father. “That is enough!” The king exclaimed, back handing his son. “So it’s as they say, you do choose this women over your own son.” Prince Lumen said picking himself off the ground and walking through the door.
The king looked at his hand sadly, he couldn’t believe he had just hit his Lumen. He tried to tell himself that he had done it for the sake of his son but it didn’t help take away the guilt he felt. To make matters worse, the way his son looked at him after he got off the ground reminded him of his late wife. The king straightened his cape and walked out the door acting like nothing had happened. The new queen, Maria rushed to his side and smiled at him. The king didn’t feel like he deserved the smile on her lips but he didn’t know she was smiling because she had seen the hand print on the prince’s face. Maria didn’t like the prince and would have given anything to get rid of the him but she didn’t plan on killing him. He reminded her of his little brother she lost to the black rain years and years ago. She knew that Lady Flora would die soon too and yet she couldn’t feel bad for the Lady Astrea. You see, something had changed the beautiful princess when she had lost her little brother. He was like the light in her life but the light died when he died. Her father, king Theodore was happy to let his oldest daughter marry Arthur even though it was against the rules. He had hoped that her marrying someone she loved and being queen would bring the light back. The kingdom in which she was princess had decided that she was suppose to stay there and marry someone but King Theodore seen her eyes light up when she talked about being in love with king Arthur.
Prince Lumen started to think about the days when his mother was alive. The way she smiled at him when he cried or got hurt. The times she took him to the village and let him play with the other children. The way she gently hugged him when his father brought him home from running away or the way she had tears running down her face because she was happy that Lumen had brought her flowers. The way her hair would blow in the wind or the song she sang to help him fall asleep. He missed the way she would kiss him on the top of the head and would call him “little prince of my world.” He missed the way she would gently wipe away the tears from his face after he got yelled at by his father. He missed her holding his hand and showing him the ocean reflecting the sun. What he missed most was the way she would show she loved him, the way she smiled and would make it seem like everything would be okay. No one knew but the prince blamed himself for his mother’s death. He remembered walking into her room and seeing her. Her hair had lost it’s shine and her eyes had dulled to darkness. Her skin was pale and when she smiled, it didn’t light up the world like it use to.
His mother was dying and he knew that he didn’t have long to be with her. His father found him and tried to take him away but Lumen just held onto her. His mother gently took him into her arms and whispered be happy into his ear before she fell back into the bed. Her eyes closed and Lumen realized that his mother was gone. He begged her to come back until his voice was hoarse and his eyes swollen from crying. He heard a voice calling him from far away and realized it was Astrea. He was plunged back into the present and smiled at her. Prince Lumen looked at Astrea and noticed that she was excitedly talking about something. The prince realized that she was talking about her and Lady Flora getting to live at the castle. Lumen knew that he should have been filled with happiness but he couldn’t be because he knew that Lady Flora would die soon. Prince Lumen grabbed her hand and surprised Lady Astrea by running from the room. He ran to the castle’s balcony and just stood there while holding her hand. Astrea just stared at him until Lumen drew her into his arms and hugged her tightly like he was trying to help her though her pain. She didn’t know that she would soon feel the pain and sadness that the prince was feeling at the moment.
Everything seemed okay for a few days, Lady Flora and Astrea would come outside to play and watch the sky turn colors. Then one night it started to storm and this was usual for the village or the castle. Lumen had a bad feeling but he didn’t know why. He heard Astrea running down the hall, yelling for help. Prince Lumen ran towards the area where he knew Lady Flora and Astrea last were. The lighting lit up the sky as he got to Lady Flora and the thunder let out a loud rumble. Lady Flora was pale and she was in a lot of pain. The guards arrived and picked her up. They rushed her to the nearest room which was Maria’s. They tucked her into bed against the queen’s wishes and Astrea came running in with the king behind her. The king watched as Lady Flora’s breathing became shallow and her face sank in. He knew that she wouldn’t be long for this world. The lighting struck the castle and shook the walls terribly. Astrea jumped and almost screamed out. The prince now knew that she was terrified of the storm and he took her hand in his. They stood there watching as the doctor came running in and went to work immediately. He checked her breathing and listened to her chest. He pulled the king outside the room with him.
Your highness, I am sorry to say this but that young women doesn’t have long. I have given her something to help control the pain and she will rest comfortably until she no longer has a hold on this world. I am afraid that there is no cure for this disease but it is very impressive that she went so long with this pain. She is a very strong women but that strength is leaving her even as we speak.” The doctor said sadly shaking his head. “I understand, thank you for everything you have done doctor.” The king said swiping his hand over his face. The king walked into the room again and heavily placed his hand on his son’s shoulder. The prince looked at his father and saw a sadness showing on his face. “Was my father really in love with Lady Flora?” the prince asked himself as he had only knew his father to show that look one time in his life before. The queen seen the look on her husband’s face and knew the truth immediately. She told everyone to get out except Astrea because she wanted Astrea to feel alone in this world. She wanted Astrea to pay for her mother having the king’s heart.
The storm let out heavy rain and the lighting struck in rows as Lady Flora drew her last breathe. She held Astrea’s hand and told her daughter she loved her using the last of her strength.

Astrea threw open the door and ran like she was running from the demon called pain. She didn’t pay attention to where she was running and the next thing she knew, she was outside in the storm. She fell to the ground but pushed herself back up and kept running. She ran and ran until she thought her lungs might explode. She fell to her knees in the mud and rain pelted her. She could no longer feel the cold of the rain or mud soaking through her dress. The prince looked through the door where Astrea had run and that was all he could do until the shock left him. Lumen jetted out of the door, thinking about how Astrea was feeling. “She is terrified and feeling lonely. She is hurting so much right now and this storm is only making it worse.” Lumen thought to himself as he kept running. He didn’t let himself stop out of fear for Astrea. He didn’t want to stop until she was safely with him and he knew that no harm had come to her.
When he finally found her, she had her hands in her lap, sitting where she had fallen and was crying her eyes out. She didn’t realize Prince Lumen was there until he pulled her to her feet and yanked her into his arms under a tree. The prince didn’t pay any attention to the storm, only to this girl in his arms who meant the world to him. Astrea grabbed the front of his shirt and cried her eyes out. He wanted so badly to take her pain away.
When Lumen and Astrea walked into the castle, they found the king waiting for them. The king hugged Lady Astrea and told her to go have a bath. The king told Lumen to sit down and the king sat with him. “How is she?” The king asked. “She isn’t doing well, I fear for her health. It was like she had given up on living and I didn’t like it.” The prince said, feeling like he had given up too much information. “That poor girl, I wish we could do something for her. My son, are you in love with Lady Astrea?” The king asked suddenly looking into his son’s eyes. “No father, Lady Astrea is a dear friend going through a tough time and I am merely being a good friend.” The prince said. “if only I were a fool and I could let that slide for all it was. I have decided to send you off and let you get the proper training to be prince.” The king said heavily as if it were breaking his heart. “Oh I understand.” The prince said strangely calm. “You do? That is great my son.” The king said, feeling like another storm was about to erupt but from his son instead. “Oh yes father, I understand that when you say I, you mean you and the Lady Maria. You act like me being in love with Astrea is wrong but at least I had the courage to admit it unlike you. I know you were or should I say still are in love with Lady Flora but you were too late. If you had told her, maybe she would have died happy. The pain you are feeling is something you deserve and I don’t feel bad for you. Now you wish to punish me for doing something that you did! I hate you and I will never become like you ever!” Prince Lumen exclaimed, running from the room.
The king walked into his room where the queen was sitting quietly. He let out a sigh and sat down on the end of the bed where he could see the queen. “What is the matter, my love?” Maria asked. “I’m not sure that I’m doing the right thing by sending my son off.” King Arthur said. “Of course you are, my dear. That son of yours needs better prince training than this beautiful country has to offer.” Maria said massaging his shoulders. “Yes but I fear that he will be quite angry when he comes back home.” The king said pulling Maria into his lap. “Yes my dear but by the time he comes home, he will be old enough to understand that it were for his own good.” Maria said as her husband kissed her neck. “That is right, he will be gone for six years and in that time he will learn a lot I’m sure.” The king said pulling her close and kissing her.
The following day was spent with the maids and servants packing his stuff for the trip. The Prince was busy keeping Astrea busy so she wouldn’t have to think about the death of her mother. He was sitting in a chair, listening to Astrea talk about when she was living with her grandmother. He wasn’t sure how he was going to tell her that he was leaving. Astrea turned towards him and saw him deep in thought which would explain why he wasn’t responding to what she was saying. Astrea knew that he was hiding something from her and she didn’t know whether or not to push him on it. Suddenly he looked up and met her eyes. His Purplish blue eyes held her captive and he started smiling at her. She wanted to look away but she couldn’t because of the look in his eyes. She knew that he was feeling guilty about something but when he smiled she seemed to have forgotten about it. When he stood up and walked towards her, she didn’t know why but all she wanted was to hug him. Lumen approached her and all he felt like doing was kissing her but he wouldn’t let himself do it. He ran his hand though his blonde hair and let out a frustrated sigh. Servants and maids ran up to him, telling him that his luggage was packed. The Prince tried waving them away before they could tell her about him leaving but it was too late. Lumen turned towards Astrea to find that she wore a sad expression. Lumen took her into his arms and apologized for not telling her sooner.
“Promise you’ll come back, I’m going to be sad until you do.” Astrea said in a near whisper. “I promise because I would hate to see you cry.” Lumen said confidently. “jerk.” Astrea said, laughing and hugging him. “hehe I will miss you though.” Lumen said hugging her tightly. Lumen let her go and walked back towards his room. Astrea smiled and went into her room. Her room was huge, it had a couch and a big master bed. It had four windows against one wall that lit up the whole room. It also had a giant bathroom which had a deep bath tub and a heated toilet. Astrea sat in the chair and started to think about how things would turn out when the prince left. She started to miss him already and he hadn’t even left yet. Astrea stared out the window and watched as Lumen rode his horse around the stables. Astrea heard the door handle twist and she spun towards the door as it opened. Queen Maria walked in and sat down on the couch with an air of arrogance. Astrea smiled and sat quietly waiting for her to talk. “I want you to get your things packed because you’ll being moving rooms. I think it’s better that you live near the place you’ll be working.” The queen said calmly. “I don’t understand, your highness.” Astrea said confused. “You are a lower class and you don’t deserve a nice room like this. So I’m moving you to the servant quarters.” The queen sneered at her. “How dare you! The prince or king has never looked at my title, they have only seen me as the person I am. The prince will never let you do this, I am telling him.” Astrea said, standing up angrily.
“You’ll never tell the prince of this or I’ll have you’re mansion destroyed by kings orders. All the memories you have in that place and every item that belonged to your mother will be destroyed.” The queen said enjoying her power. Astrea kept quiet and balled her hands into fist by her side. The door opened and the prince walked in. “What’s this?” Lumen said looking at the queen suspiciously. “Oh nothing, dear boy. Just girl talk.” The queen said, walking towards the door as if she were floating. Astrea fell onto the couch and Lumen rushed to her side. He took her into his arms and held her close. Astrea relaxed in his arms and tried to hold in the anger plus the hurt she was feeling. She couldn’t tell him, she wouldn’t put so much worry on his shoulders especially when he was leaving. Astrea straightened up and smiled at him. “I’m sorry, we were just talking about how sad we were about my mother’s death. I got over emotional, that’s all.” Astrea said. Lumen smiled and it shown how relieved it made him knowing that Astrea would be in good hands until he got back. Later that night, Astrea met Lumen out in the garden and they danced together for two hours. That night was something he would remember for the rest of his life and he thought of it as he fell asleep.
The next morning he was up and carrying his baggage to the carriage. After all his baggage was packed, he noticed his father standing by and waiting for him. Astrea was standing near the carriage as well and he grabbed her hand to pull her behind the carriage. He hugged her closely and whispered that he would be back soon in her ear. Astrea smiled and nodded her head at him. Lumen got into the carriage without saying a word to his father or the Maria. The king put his hand on Astrea’s shoulder and smiled at her.

He walked back into the castle sadly and the queen told Astrea to go to her new room. Astrea shuffled to the servants quarters and she just knew that her life would be hard. Astrea fell into her bed and a cloud of dust rose in the air. Her tears slide down her face and she thought about the night they had danced together. She fell asleep and dreamed about that night over and over. Someone was holding an alarm clock beside her head and yelling for her to get up. Astrea sat up and saw the queen was standing over her, the pitch black sky behind her. Astrea sat up and rubbed her eyes sleepily. “It’s five am and you will be working in the kitchen, so get up and get dressed then report to work.” The queen said nastily. “Yes your highness.” Astrea said smiling. The queen spun on her heel and stalked away. Astrea quickly dressed and threw her hair up on top of her head. She fastened it there and rushed towards the kitchen. When she got to the kitchen, Everyone was running around. The cook noticed her and told her to continuously stir the pot. She did as she was told and soon the pot was removed from the stove but she continued to stir. “Look there, this girl has got loyalty in her bones. We can most defiantly use someone who like that.” The head cook said smiling. Astrea smiled and turned towards the cook. “My name is Astrea and I was told to come help you.” Astrea said shyly. “Alrighty everyone, we have a new girl and we have to treat her kindly. Remember that she has to learn how to do things in the kitchen so don’t get upset with her.” The cook said patting her head. Astrea smiled as everyone gathered around her and patted her on the back. The cook pulled her back to the counter and had her help chop vegetables. Astrea tried her hardest and the next thing she knew, she had cut all of the vegetables in the kitchen. Everyone was standing in front of her with surprised looks on their faces. “Wow this girl is amazing!” One person shouted. “Yeah, did you see how fast she chopped the vegetables!” Another person said, excitedly.
A week and a half has passed, Astrea was happy working in the kitchen. The queen noticed that she started smiling a little more and Maria knew that she had to take control of things. The next morning, Astrea was up and humming while she collected vegetables for the kitchen. The queen walked up behind her and put her hand on hip, waiting for Astrea to finish. When Astrea stood up, the queen grabbed her arm and hauled her to the kitchen. “Put the stuff in your arms down because you’re being promoted to my errand girl.” The queen said hastily. “Yes ma’am but may I say good bye to my friends?” Astrea asked. “Yes, hurry up.” The queen said angrily. Astrea turned towards everyone in the kitchen and opened her arms wide. All the kitchen staff rushed in to hug her and cook slipped a small box in her hand. She hid the box in her pocket and stood beside the queen. When she looked at all the kitchen staff, she noticed that they all worn worried expression. “Don’t worry, I’ll be fine.” Astrea assured them smiling even though she didn’t feel like it. The queen turned and Astrea followed behind her as Maria’s heels clicked rapidly. “Your first job is to hand wash all of my clothes.” The queen said, walking towards the door. “Yes ma’am.” Astrea said, looking at four closets filled with clothes.
Astrea started with one and a few hours later, she had three of them completely cleaned. She finished the last closet. While she was busy hanging the clothes back up, the queen walked back in. “My, what a fast little worker you are. I think I should keep you closer.” The queen said snidely. “Yes ma’am, I took the liberty of adding scent to the washing powder so your clothes would smell good.” Astrea said. The queen walked over to her clothes and smelled one of them. “What a smart little cookie you are, they smell wonderful.” The queen said, trying to hide how angry she was because she wasn’t able to yell at the girl. The queen told Astrea to follow her around from now on and walked out the door. Astrea followed her out to garden where some of the queen’s friends were waiting for her. Maria sat down and smiled at her friends. “This is Lady Marie, Lady Charlotte and my little sister, Lady Kindly.” Queen Maria said to Astrea. “Why would you introduce us to such a lowly servant such as this one?” Lady Charlotte said while laughing. “This girl is my lady in waiting and she must know your names if she is to serve us all.” Queen Maria said. “Astrea, dear. Please have a seat beside me, it must be tiring to stand on your feet all day.” Lady kindly said, patting the cushion beside her. “Nonsense, she hasn’t worked hard enough to sit down.” Maria said hotly. “That lower class girl doesn’t deserve to sit with us anyway.” Lady Marie said, snobby.
“Well I think that she is a nice girl and that you shouldn’t be so mean to her.” Lady Kindly said. “That just means we need to be meaner to her.” Queen Maria said, smiling evilly. “Astrea, you clean my shoes with your hair and don’t quit until they are sparkling.” Maria said. “Yes your majesty.” Astrea said, bending down to the queen’s feet. Astrea let her hair down and started to scrub her blonde hair on Maria’s shoes. Astrea’s golden hair started to turn black as she continued to scrub the queen’s shoes. Lady Kindly pulled Astrea to her feet and glared at the ladies sitting around them. “You should be ashamed!” Lady Kindly exclaimed. “Oh my, whatever has gotten you enraged. This is the first time I’ve ever seen you angry, sister.” Queen Maria asked confused. “We are Queens of different countries and we were raised to take of our people. This is one of your people and you treat her poorly. I don’t know how you were able to be queen here and I’m shocked to find out that you are like this now. Our little brother would be so disappointed in you. He wouldn’t want you to be like this or treat people like this. I’m just glad he isn’t around to see you, he would so ashamed of you.” Lady Kindly said angrily.
“My hair, it isn’t ever going to be the same again. It was just like my mother’s but now it’s black, just like my heart is going to be.” Astrea said as tears rolled down her cheeks. “Oh hush, my dear. I just know it will turn back to that lovely golden color once we wash it properly.” Lady Kindly said, rubbing her back. Astrea was led into a castle bedroom by Lady Kindly and as she stood in the room waiting for Lady Kindly, she noticed that this was her old room. The same couch where the prince had held her, the same couch where the queen had sat trying to scare her. This couch held so many sad memories for her and she didn’t know it but tears started to fall from her eyes. Lady Kindly walked in and saw her crying, she rushed over to the girl. “What’s wrong sweety?” Lady kindly asked while wiping Astrea’s tears away. “I...I miss Lumen so much, he was the only one until now that has ever been kind to me. I miss him like I’ve never missed anyone.” Astrea said, crying harder. “You really love my brother don’t you dear?” Lady Kindly asked. “Yes I do, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to.” Astrea said, expecting Lady Kindly to judge her. “Oh honey, it’s okay. I’m so glad that you fell in love with my brother.” Lady kindly stated. “What?” Astrea asked, sitting up quickly. “My brother use to call me and tell me about all the girls my father tried to set him up. I didn’t like them one bit but when he would talk about you. It was somehow different, almost like he was in love. You’re perfect for him, you are down to earth and kind. You are beautiful and have a pure soul. You would be the one I could see my brother marrying.” Lady kindly said smiling at her.
Lady Kindly took Astrea into the bathroom and made her sit in a chair. She leaned the chair over the bath tub and started to wash Astrea’s hair. After they dried her hair, Astrea looked in the mirror and seen that her hair was still black. She pulled her hair in front of her and stared at it for a long time. Lady Kindly ran out of the bathroom to face her sister down and Astrea saw the scissors lying on the sink. She grabbed the scissors and chopped part of her hair off. Her now black hair fell to her shoulders and she looked in the mirror at herself. Astrea decided that she would be strong from now on and wouldn’t let anyone break her. Queen Maria walked in just then and she had decided that this would be the perfect time to destroy Astrea. Maria walked up to Astrea and touched her hair. “This fits you better, you look like the little servant girl you are. You now look like what you are, scum of the earth, nothing but a servant and an orphan. This...This is what you deserve.” Queen Maria said, full of hate. “You...You are a wicked queen whose heart is as cold as the winter wind. You look upon people who are weaker and laugh. You are a heartless witch and I swear I’ll make you pay one day.” Astrea said, turning on her heel to face the queen.
“You will be punished and then all the fight you have in you will disappear.” The Queen shouted. “Try me.” Astrea said challenging the queen. “Guards take this girl to the dungeon and use whatever you have to so that this spunk will be no more.” The queen shouted to the guards. “I think I prefer this than to spend another second in your disagreeable company.” Astrea said as she was being dragged off. Astrea let the guards shackle her in chains that connected to the wall and she stared the torturer in the eyes. “Astrea, please bow down to the queen. I don’t want to do this to you.” The guy begged. “Never! I won’t bow down to her anymore, I’d rather be beaten and killed than to ever do that.” Astrea said angrily. “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry Astrea.” The guard said as his heart broke. The guard pulled the whip back and slashed Astrea’s back. She didn’t scream or fight against the chains. The guard kept whipping her and she didn’t once scream or yell out in pain. “Are you ready to give in yet?” The queen asked triumphantly. “No I’ve had way worse pain than this in my heart.” Astrea said smiling at her. “Move, let me handle this.” The queen said, pushing the guard aside. The queen pulled the whip back and lashed it forward. It hit her back hard but Astrea just bit her lip so she wouldn’t yell.

Astrea went a year and a half of taking beatings until the king commanded that she be set free. He put her to work as his lady in waiting so he could keep an eye on her. This was easier on Astrea but the queen would still pull her aside and strike her across the face. The king would always ask where she got the hand print on her face but she would never tell him. If she ever told him, the queen would win and Astrea would never allow that. The only thing that kept her going was the thought of Lumen coming back and whenever she thought of him, she couldn’t help but smile. “Astrea, Would you be kind enough to get me another cup of tea?” The king asked. “Yes sir, right away.” Astrea said rushing from the room. Astrea came back with a silver tray holding a tea pot. She filled the cup and sat it down beside the king. The queen rushed in and grabbed the king’s arm. “Love, you have got to see the gift my friends got me. Lady Charlotte and Lady Marie given me a new shiny carriage.” Queen Maria said excitedly. “That’s kind of them, why don’t you accompany me to see it Astrea?” The king asked. “I can’t sir, I must clean the table. Please excuse me while I work.” Astrea said bowing.
The king walked away and Astrea started to wipe down the table. Maria crossed the room and grabbed Astrea by the hair. “You little wench, you act like you belong or something. You will never belong here and I won’t let you.” The queen said throwing Astrea to the floor. Astrea got up and started clearing away the dishes and when she walked by, the queen put her foot out her to trip her. Astrea jumped and flipped over her foot. Astrea landed gracefully on her feet and strode to the kitchen. The queen was left gawking at Astrea, she couldn’t believe that this girl had become so strong. Finally six years had passed and Astrea was as beautiful as ever. She had shoulder length black hair and Light green eyes. She was slim and a birth mark in the shape of a star had appeared on her wrist about two years ago. Her years of servitude had made her strong willed and it had taught her that the most important thing was to be yourself. The queen had tried to break her but it only made her stronger and years of dodging the queen made her even quicker on her feet. Everyone in the castle loved Astrea and treated her kindly except Queen Maria. The queen always kept Astrea on her feet but Maria never had a chance to hurt her again because she could always dodge her.
The castle was in a whirlwind of activity and Astrea knew why. Her beloved prince would be returning home to the castle soon, she couldn’t wait to see him. Prince Lumen was now twenty years old and all he wanted to do was have some fun. He had forgotten about his feelings for Astrea and lived his life like he wanted to until he had to return back home. He would be bringing his girlfriend with him, he didn’t necessarily like her but it should make seeing the queen more interesting. Her name was Beyonca and she had blonde hair with green blue eyes. She wasn’t exactly kind to other people but the only reason he agreed to bring her was so he could annoy the queen. When he arrived at the palace, all of the staff were standing there to welcome him along with the king and queen. He didn’t see any sign of Astrea but it didn’t exactly worry him. He had thought that she married someone and was living happily with some lucky guy. Prince Lumen swept his hand through his blonde hair and let out a sigh. He had wanted Astrea all for himself but back then he thought that they loved each other. He knew that if he loved her then it would be best not to try and marry her. It would only cause her pain and he had never wanted to see her cry even now.
The whole time he had been gone, all he could think about was Astrea. He felt like he would never be happy again until he saw her again. He couldn’t deal with the heart ache so he made himself forget the feelings he had for Astrea. She was just a dear friend to him now or so he told himself. Lumen got out of the carriage and helped Beyonca out. Everyone cheered as they saw the prince but the king’s face was wearing a sad expression when he noticed the girl beside him. The prince hugged his father and shook hands with Maria. “Welcome home, son.” The king said smiling warmly. “Oh dad, this is Beyonca. We are dating and I think she is wonderful.” Prince Lumen said, trying to hide the annoyance in his voice. “It is my honor to meet you, your highness.” Beyonca said, trying to flatter the king. The queen was happy that he had found someone else because now he would never know what she had done to Astrea. Astrea ran out to the front of the castle to see the prince and when she heard the prince introduce the girl beside him, she stood gaping at them. Lumen looked around and when he did, he saw her. Astrea was standing there, looking at him with a surprised look. When their eyes met, Astrea turned and ran away from the area. He tried to chase after her but everyone was in the way and she had gotten away. Astrea ran into the woods and didn’t stop until she was sitting on a hill facing away from the village. The wind blew her hair and she stared vacantly into the distance. She couldn’t believe that Lumen had abandoned her, he had moved on while she was still in love him. She was left with all these feelings and she didn’t know what to do with them. She was so angry with Lumen for abandoning her but she was also so happy that he was home. “That’s it! I’m not forgiving him ever. That jerk, I’ll just ignore him.” Astrea said, standing up and shaking her head.
Astrea made her way back to the castle and wondered into the king’s room. “I’m sorry, your highness. I didn’t mean to wonder off like that on you sir.” Astrea said bowing to the king. “It’s alright, Astrea. I think you should have more free time so you can do things like a normal girl your age would.” The king said. “Yes sir, I understand.” Astrea said smiling warmly at the old king. The king pointed towards the door and Astrea knew that she had some free time. She also knew that the change was because the king wanted to spend some alone time with his son. Astrea changed her clothes and wondered out into the castle garden.

She sat on a bench and thought about when she was just a child. Lumen and Astrea would walk around, looking at the flowers. She would smell them and run her fingers over the petals, Lumen would pick one out to put it in hair. She had so many memories of them together in the garden, like the night they danced together. Astrea was so lost in thought that she didn’t notice the prince had sat down beside her. When Astrea looked up, her eyes met Prince Lumen’s. Astrea didn’t say anything but instead got up and walked down one of the paths in the garden. Astrea took a short path and then ran down another path until she was able to sneak through an opening in the fence. Lumen knew the paths of the castle just as well as Astrea did. He went through the opening but when he got out of it, Astrea was no where to be seen.
Astrea had flipped on top of the wall and watched as Prince Lumen looked around for her. He scratched his head as he looked around and decided to head back to the castle. He felt sure that she had headed that way and Astrea didn’t plan on letting him know any different. Astrea sat on the side of the wall after Lumen left and started to think to herself. “What am I doing! I hid because of Lumen, Am I so weak that I must hide instead of facing him?” Astrea said angry at herself. Astrea sat there for some peace and quiet. “Yo Astrea, What are you up to?” A boy, a year older than her shouted. “Oh hi, Zane.” Astrea said as she jumped off the wall. “It looks as if you’re hiding again.” Zane said, watching Astrea land on her feet. “I might be, the prince was just here.” Astrea said. “Oh I see, hiding from your past sweetheart.” Zane said as he leaned against the wall. “He isn’t my sweetheart! Well….not anymore. He’s changed and I don’t think he loves me anymore.” Astrea said. Zane looked at her and he noticed how bittersweet this situation seemed. He grabbed Astrea and pulled her into his arms. Astrea just stared at him, it didn’t feel the same as when Lumen held her years ago. Astrea could hear Zane’s heart beating fast, she felt bad because she could never love anyone besides Lumen. Astrea pushed against Zane and told him to let her go while laughing. “Let her go, right now!” A voice boomed angrily. “What?” Zane asked, turning around. “I won’t tell you again, so do as I say before I have you arrested.” Lumen said as he was trying to control his anger. “Aww what a party pooper.” Zane said, letting Astrea go.
Zane walked towards the village and Astrea watched him, trying to figure out what had just happened. Lumen grasped Astrea’s arm and pulled her behind him towards the castle. He didn’t know why he was so angry but for some reason he was pissed that some other guy had held Astrea in their arms. Lumen entered into the castle gates and walked into the garden. He kept walking down a path and Astrea told him to stop. Lumen didn’t stop so Astrea started yelling at him to stop walking. Lumen stopped walking and pulled Astrea into his arms, he kissed her. Astrea was surprised and tried pushing away from him. Lumen angled his mouth over hers so he could kiss her deeper. Astrea melted into his arms and started kissing him back like a part of her desperately needed him. Lumen pulled her closer and started to kiss her neck. Astrea leaned into him, wanting to feel his lips all over her skin. Astrea started to feel reality coming back down. She pushed him away and just stared at him, touching her lips. Astrea growled in frustration and started walking deeper into the garden. She couldn’t believe he had the guts to even think about touching her, much less kiss her. She could hear Lumen walking behind her and it only irritated her more. Astrea spun on her heel to face Lumen and when she did, she found him watching her as if she were prey. “What’s the matter with you!” Astrea shouted at him. “What are you talking about?” Lumen asked, clearly amused. “Oh so it never happened then? Good I can pretend that, it seems like that’s what we do around here.” Astrea said, her eyes flaring with anger. “Oh really, so I should do that more since it didn’t happen. Seems like fun to me.” Lumen said as he tipped her chin up to look him in the face. “You think I’m like every other girl, that I’ll get so happy because you kissed me.” Astrea said, anger forcing her words. “No you’re not like other girls, you’re more interesting. If you’re not careful I could have you arrested.” Lumen said, clearly entertaining himself. “Oh I’m sorry, your highness. Excuse me while I try to hold myself together in your presence.” Astrea said mockingly.
“It’s quite okay, I don’t mind if you fall apart. Only if it’s you. In fact it’s always more fun when it’s you.” The prince said honestly. “Well you can make fun me all you want, I won’t let you break me.” Astrea said, yanking out of hand and storming off towards the castle. Lumen only watched her, trying to figure out why she thought that he would want to break her in the first place. Then his thoughts took him down a different path, he knew he wasn’t thinking very princely thoughts. He didn’t know why she and she alone could make him this crazy. He put his hands in his pockets and walked around the garden. He couldn’t get the haunting look in her gorgeous eyes out of his mind and he knew that if he found out who put it there, he would probably beat them senseless. Lumen felt a possessiveness of Astrea in his heart and he couldn’t understand it. It was like he had gone back in time and returned to those feelings of so long ago.
Lumen shook his head as his new girlfriend called out his name. Astrea walked into her hiding spot in the garden, it wasn’t much but at least it was hers. Her heart was beating fast and she felt like she could still feel his lips when he had kissed her. It didn’t make sense to her why he would kiss her, when he had someone like Beyonca. Beyonca was a beautiful girl and almost all the guys kept staring at her when she was helped out of the carriage. Tears threatened to fall, she felt like her heart was being broken again. Lumen didn’t know that when he kissed her, it was like he was giving her hope that he still loved her. Astrea hugged her legs to body and closed her eyes. Crying would have made her feel better but she had vowed she wouldn’t cry unless it got bad enough to make her cry. After a few minutes of feeling sorry for herself, she got up and dusted her dress off. She still had the prince’s gift the cook had given her, she wanted so badly to give it back to him. The gift had come complete with a card in his writing, that said: Dearest Astrea, I saw this and thought of you. Keep it close and always think of me when you wear it. I deeply care for you. Prince Lumen. Astrea had never worn it before, she was scared of Queen Maria taking it from her but right now she wanted to wear it more than anything. Astrea slide the little box back into her pocket and walked back to the castle.
She was greeted happily by everyone and the king smiled at her when she walked up to him. The king was busy looking at old photos and stopped at a certain picture. Astrea looked closer at the picture in question and noticed it had Lady Flora, Prince Lumen plus herself. Astrea would have given anything to have that picture when she was a little girl but now all it did was remind her of was the hole in her heart and sadness. The king tried to give it to her but she just shook her head and started to check the logs. Prince Lumen walked in and tried talking to Astrea. “Your highness, I will leave you and your son alone. I have other duties I must attend to, please excuse me.” Astrea said bowing to the king and prince. The prince watched her thoughtfully and he felt an urge to go after her. The king smiled at the photo and then put it in Lumen’s hand. When he looked at the photo, he couldn’t believe how things had changed so much. “I’ll bet you want that picture don’t you son?” King Arthur asked his son. “No of course not, father. It means nothing to me but I do miss Lady Flora.” Lumen said tucking the photo into his pocket. “I miss her too, she was a dear women. She reminded me of your late mother very much. She was strong like her and gentle at the same time. Her daughter reminds me of her the most.” The king said as if remembering the time when Lady Flora was alive. 

“What are you talking about? That girl is nothing like Lady Flora. Lady Flora was a lady, she never ignored me or talked rudely to me either.” Lumen said. “It’s no wonder Lady Astrea is like that to you, you hurt her deeply my boy.” The king said. “I haven’t placed a hand on her to hurt her.” Lumen said, blushing as he thought about when he kissed her. “No my son, you hurt her when you brought that hussy home with you.” The king said sadly. Lumen opened his mouth to defend Beyonca but he realized that he didn’t want to defend that hussy as his father called her.
The king was a wise old man and he knew just how to test his son. The king wanted to see if his son still loved Astrea as he thought his son did. “I see your choices in women are still bad even when you were a child. The two are the same after all.” The king said nonchalantly. “What? What did you just say?” Lumen asked feeling irritation spark in him. “What ever could Astrea be doing with that Zane fellow at night, I wonder. She came back for a week smiling like a crazy person. I bet that flower has wilted.” The king said hiding his amusement. “Shut your mouth, don’t you ever talk about Astrea like that. She is a good girl even though she has a nice body and big... well no matter, don’t let me hear anything bad about her again.” Lumen said clearly angry. “You know what I find funny?” The king asked his son. “Oh and what is that, father?” The Prince asked with maliciousness following every word. “Well you don’t mind when I talk bad about your girlfriend but when it comes to Astrea, you stare at me like you could absolutely kill me. So could it be that you in fact Lady Astrea and not this...this hussy as you claim.” The king asked. “I...uh...um ah that’s it! Astrea is a dear friend but I could never love her. I told you before I left that is all she was. I never loved Astrea like that. However to be completely honest, I don’t think to much of Beyonca. She reminds me of the queen.” Lumen said, rubbing the back of head. “Your highness, I found those papers you wanted a few days ago.” Astrea said, walking pass the prince while staring at the ground. Lumen froze in place and tried getting a look at her face.
When Astrea looked at the king, She tried hiding the pain she was feeling. The king recognized the look in the girl’s eyes and he started to wish he had never begun the conversation. She walked pass Prince Lumen and it was hard for her to look him in the eye. She was using everything bit of control she had to hold herself together. She heard the king say that she could have the rest of the day off so she could run whatever errands she needed to. Lumen felt like his world was falling apart as he realized how much he had hurt her. He had hurt himself too because he now knew that he was still in love with Astrea. She would never forgive him now and he didn’t blame her one bit. He had been unfair to her, he brought that girl back with him, kissed her and then said all those awful things in front of her. He was the biggest ass in the world it seemed, even to himself. Prince Lumen looked at his father helplessly and wanted to take back everything he had said. The king looked in his eyes and told him that the only way to make this situation better is to prove that he truly loved Astrea. Queen Maria, who had seen the whole thing knew she had to do something. She had to make sure that Prince Lumen and the king never knew what she had done. Later that night, Maria waited for her husband. King Arthur walked into the room and Queen maria was sitting on the bed. She had on a see through gown and smiled at the king charmingly. “Honey, come sit down with me. I have something I want to talk to you about.” Maria said. “What is it, my dear? You look worried.” King Arthur asked, holding Maria close.
“Well Beyonca told me that she was pregnant and that the child is indeed Prince Lumen’s.” Maria said. “I see, then we shall have a DNA test done when the child is born.” The king said stubbornly. “Honey, they need to be married so they can be a true family to the child. I’m afraid there is no way out of this for our son.” The queen said acting worried. “I guess not, that is too bad for Astrea.” The king said sadly. “Oh yes, poor Astrea. She won’t know what to do when she hears the news but I have someone in mind who is just perfect for her. She won’t be too sad then and I bet she will be happy for Lumen. She is such a pure, warmhearted girl.” The queen said smiling because she knew that she had succeeded in her plan. She knew her secrets would be protected and that she wouldn’t lose her seat as the queen. The prince sat, listening to his tutor talk about the great war but his attention was outside the window where Astrea was helping with the children. He watched her closely as she smiled and played with the kids. The sun light shone on her and the wind blew her hair. Astrea dodged the children’s attacks and tapped them on the back with her hand. Astrea was teaching them defense moves so they could defend themselves against bullies. The children thought the games were fun and played as much as they could. She could feel Prince Lumen’s gaze on her from the window but she was pretty sure that he was having lessons on the realm of Lunaria. Astrea heard someone calling her name but she didn’t know the voice. When she looked up from the children, she met the eyes of Lady Beyonca.
“Oh my, you must be Lady Astrea. It’s a pleasure to meet you, I’m sure you’ve heard of me.” Beyonca said, smugly. “Hello, Milady. It’s a lovely day.” Astrea said, bowing. “I thought we should have met so you could know that I was a very important lady. You are to serve me whenever I call.” Beyonca said meanly. “My lady, I do not serve you and if someone tries to make me. I will quit, I have a duty that I have been doing since I was a small child and I will not stop because you want to torture me.” Astrea said defiantly. Astrea turned away and walked back to the children. She didn’t know whose children they were but she knew they were part of the royal family. The kids laughed and grabbed her hand. They made her skip towards the gate and she stopped them all when she reached the front of the gate. “I’m sorry, your highnesses but we can’t go out of the gate without an escort.” Astrea said. “Lady Astrea, we know there is more to this place outside of these gates and we wish to see it. We don’t like being locked in the castle, we feel like we are trapped.” The kids said, making their eyes big and puppy like. 

“We need an escort and I think I shall have to ask around so that we may go outside the gates.” Astrea said, smiling weakly. “Lady Astrea, tell us what the outside is like and we won’t try to venture outside the gates without an escort.” The children said, all agreeing. “Alright but we must go back to the garden unless you want us to all get in trouble, little ones.” Astrea said, smiling. Astrea walked back to the garden with the kids following behind her. Astrea sat down among the flowers and the children all sat around her with listening ears.
“Let’s see, where to begin. There is a big market and they sell everything.” Astrea said. “They sell everything? Even dolls and clothes?” The youngest little girl said as she crawled on Astrea’s lap. “Oh yes, the prettiest dolls, with big dresses and crowns. Jewelry and painted nails. They sell dresses for little girls with ribbons and lace.” Astrea said. “Forget the dolls and dresses. What about boots and balls?” The oldest boy asked. “Of course, the boots are shiny and they don’t get dull. They sell basketballs, footballs and soccer balls.” Astrea said, nodding. “What else happens outside the gate?” The kids all asked at once. “They hold balls where all the ladies dress up in their best clothes. The dance hall is covered in lights and shiny decorations. The men all dress in their best and are on their best behavior. Then they turn all the bright lights off and the place looks like a wonderland, everyone dances together. They laugh and there isn’t a single worry in that moment.” Astrea said. Astrea realized that the children had all gotten quiet and when she looked at them, they were all imagining the ball. Astrea noticed a women standing by and watching them. Astrea quickly jumped to her feet and bowed to the lady walking towards them. The kids all jumped up and ran over to the lady. Astrea ran after the children, trying to stop them from tackling the lady to the ground. “Mama, you’re back. I’m so happy.” The children all yelled as they hugged their mother’s legs. “Welcome back, your highness.” Astrea said quickly bowing to her. “Hello Astrea, I’m princess Yuki.” The princess said, smiling at her kindly. “It’s an honor to meet you, Princess Yuki.” Astrea said.
“Please, just call me Yuki.” Yuki said. “I mustn't your grace, it wouldn’t be proper.” Astrea said. “I want us to be friends, I have heard so much about you from my little brother.” Yuki said. “You are Prince Lumen’s older sister?” Astrea asked surprised. “Yes, I have not been home since our mother died but I decided to come see everyone.” Yuki said. “He never told me about you but I am glad that we have met.” Astrea said sincerely. “As am I. My brother is quite in-glamoured with you. For a long time, all I heard was Astrea this and Astrea that. I found myself wishing to meet you all that time. I find that you are indeed everything he said you were.” Yuki said smiling at her. “Oh my, I can only wonder what the prince has said.” Astrea said as her face grew red. “My brother said you were beautiful, smart, kind and strong willed. I see that he was right, you are very beautiful and I have never seen anyone who cared so much about children that weren’t theirs. You incorporate defense lessons with fun and the children love it.” Yuki said placing her hand on Astrea’s. “Mama, can we go see the village? Oh please oh please, I want to see the dolls and dresses. No no I want to see the boots and balls.” The children all said at once. “I’m sorry my lady, I’m afraid I put all those thoughts in their heads.” Astrea said. “Yuki but my children it is true that you must have an escort.” Yuki said. “I tried to telling them, Yuki.” Astrea said. “Perhaps I can be of some service.” Lumen said strolling up to them. “Ah dear brother, don’t you have some lessons that you must be taking?” Yuki asked. “Yes, I just need some free time away from this suffocating place.” The prince said, rubbing the back of his head.
“Well I think it will do the children some good, mother use to take us there all the time.” Yuki said. “Yes exactly, I will be considered an escort.” Lumen said, smiling charmingly. “I can not go, I have to go see father and that deplorable queen of his.” Yuki said, looking towards the castle. “Big sister, you must not talk badly about the queen out in the open.” Lumen said patting her on the shoulder. “Well have fun, you guys.” Astrea said, turning back to the castle. “Oh no you don’t.” The prince said, grabbing Astrea’s arm. “Lady Astrea, you have to come with us. We love our uncle but we love you too. Maybe you can marry our uncle.” The children all said. “Oh alright, I'll go but no more marrying business.” Astrea said, smiling at the children. “Why? I rather like the idea myself.” The prince said smiling. Astrea didn’t know it but the prince meant it when he said he liked that idea. In fact he couldn’t see himself marrying anyone else but her. The carriage pulled up and the children all got loaded in. The prince lifted Astrea into the carriage and as he did the back of dress, near her neckline dropped a bit. He got a glimpse of scars on her back but he put her in the carriage like he hadn’t seen anything. The prince thought to himself about the scars on Astrea’s back and he didn’t know why but he had a feeling that the queen had a hand in it. Astrea kept peeking at the prince who was staring out the window and she didn’t know what to do. The kids kept talking excitedly about visiting the village. Astrea simply smiled at the children and patted them on the head. They arrived in the town center and the kids all but jumped out of the carriage.
Lumen climbed on top of the carriage and flipped off to the ground. He landed in front of the kids who were about to run off. Astrea picked up the smallest girl and put her on her shoulders. She grabbed two of the other kid’s hands. Prince Lumen grabbed the other two boys hands and walked behind Astrea. She handed to the park where she was sure that some of the village kids would be playing. When they arrived at the park, the children all ran to play with the other kids. Astrea and Lumen sat on a bench to watch them all play together. 

Lumen didn’t know how he could bring the scars up without her pride getting in the way. “Astrea, what happened in the castle while I was gone?” Lumen asked innocently. “Nothing really, it pretty much stayed the same.” Astrea said, avoiding the subject. Once again, the prince didn’t know how he would get her to talk about it. He sat there, trying to think of ways to broach the subject. The kids ran up to them and dragged them to the playground. The children paired up and started to dance. “Sing, Lady Astrea. So that we may have a ball here.” A little girl said. Astrea started to sing and Prince Lumen bowed to Astrea. Astrea put her hand out to say that she didn’t want to dance but he pulled her in his arms. He started to spin her around and dance with her. Her voice was lovely and he could have listen to her sing for the rest of his life. The villagers heard her singing and came to see what was going on. When they realized what was happening, they all started dancing too. Astrea heard someone else singing, so she stopped. The prince smiled and started dancing her around and she started laughing. She had a lot of fun but the children started to complain about being hungry. They took the kids to a restaurant and let them order whatever they wanted. Lumen decided as he was eating that he would just have to come right out and ask her about it.
He knew he couldn’t do it in front of the kids so he paid someone to watch them while he talked to Astrea. He helped Astrea up and walked with her to the private sitting room. He closed the door and sat down with her beside him. “Astrea, I have something I want to ask you but I don’t want you getting angry or anything.” The prince said, looking into her eyes. “Sure, what is it?” Astrea asked, still feeling happy. “I saw the scars on your back and I was wondering how you got them.” Lumen said. “I fell and got hurt, that’s all.” Astrea said, not meeting his gaze. “I know your lying to me, tell me the truth Astrea. I’m begging you.” Lumen said. 

“I don’t see why it concerns you, you don’t care for me. I hate it when I think that I am the only one who has these feelings. Every time I think about you, I get happy and wish that you would one day return those feelings. I know that you never will and it only hurts more.” Astrea said, finally snapping. “You idiot!” the prince said, grabbing her by the arm. He turned her towards him and held her in his arms. “How could you know what I feel, I truly love you. I tried hard to forget you but all I could think about was you. It hurt me too when I kept thinking that I could never be with you because it would only hurt you. Astrea, I Love you.” The prince said, hugging her to him tightly. Astrea pulled back a little so she could see into his face. She felt her heart beating fast and she saw the emotions shining in his eyes. She knew that he loved her and that everything he said was true.
Lumen lowered his head and captured her lips. He angled his head over her mouth and kissed her deeply. Astrea kissed him back and she felt that need again. His hands roamed over her shoulders and down her back. She leaned in closer to him and he pushed her down onto the padded bench. She pulled him down with her and felt him against her. He shifted where his weight wasn’t on her and kissed her again. He felt himself start to lose control but he didn’t have time to stop. He kissed her neck and she moaned in his ear. He growled in frustration and pulled the neckline of her dress down. He nipped at her breast and she gasped as a feeling she had never felt gripped her. Just as he was about to yanked her gown off, he heard someone twist the door handle. He yanked her up with him and put her behind him so that no one could see. The servant poked his head in and asked if the prince needed anything. “I need to be alone so if you could leave.” The prince said, running his hand through his hair in frustration. He knew that Astrea had fixed herself and that he had lost his chance to make her, his. He wanted to beat the sense out that servant. Astrea stood up and walked towards the door. Astrea heard Lumen growled and she felt herself fill with disappointment at being interrupted. Astrea strolled out of the room and the kids all gathered around her with faces smudged by fudge icing. Astrea smiled and had to stop herself from laughing out loud. She was saved by Lumen’s deep laughter, coming from above her shoulder.
She didn’t know why but when she heard him laugh, it made her happy. This Lumen, was the one she had known when they were just children. They all clamored into the carriage and Astrea washed their faces clean. When they reached the gates, Astrea was reminded of her place and she slide away from Lumen. Lumen had noticed her sliding away and he pulled her into his arms. The children had all started yelling about them getting married and Lumen realized that he was happy for the first time since he had left. This was all he had truly wanted, he had felt so empty for so long but now with Astrea by his side, he felt like the hole was closed. He didn’t care if he lost the kingdom or the throne as long as he could be with Astrea. Lumen didn’t let go of Astrea, even as they got out the carriage. 

The queen saw them and she knew she had to act fast or her whole plan would be ruined. Maria flew to Beyonca’s room and told her about how Lumen and Astrea was going to ruin their carefully laid plan. Prince Lumen walked into the castle and saw everyone was standing there waiting for them. Lumen moved away from Astrea and knelt before his father. “Father, I wish to marry Astrea. I am in love with her.” Lumen said, looking at the ground. “My son, I wish I could say yes but there are some things that will not allow me to let you do that.” The king said sadly. “Father, I do not care about her title and I don’t care if I lose everything as long as I am able to be with Astrea.” Lumen pleaded. “I have never looked as Astrea in terms of title but you got Lady Beyonca pregnant.” The king said as if accusing Lumen. “What are you talking about!” Lumen asked surprised. “Really? Don’t act so surprised, you know what can happen when you sleep with someone without protection.” Zane said appearing out of nowhere. “I’m almost positive that the child in question can’t be mine.” Lumen said as he stood up. “Almost positive?” Zane asked confused. “How dare you Lumen? You said you loved me and now you want to throw me away for some gutter snipe.” Beyonca wailed. “Don’t talk about Astrea like that!” Lumen and Zane yelled at the same time.
“That’s enough!” The queen yelled, stomping her foot. “My son, you must take responsibilities for your actions. You are to wed Lady Beyonca once we have proof that the child is yours.” The king said emotionally. Astrea saw the sadness and grief in the king’s eyes, she couldn’t bring herself to say what she wanted so bad to say. She turned around and walked away with tears in the corners of her eyes. Lumen sunk to his knees and just sat there. He felt like he had been given the death sentence and for the first time in his life, he wished he weren’t a prince. Beyonca walked over to Lumen and put her hand on his shoulder. Lumen felt nothing, he didn’t know she was there. He had gotten lost in the darkness and there was no light to guide him. Astrea use to be his light, he remembered her smiling at him, he remembered her laughter. The queen smiled triumphantly and knew she had now won. Zane looked at her and he had a bad feeling. The king walked over to Lumen and pulled him to his feet, he guided him to his room. Lumen didn’t see anything but darkness and let himself be led away. “My dear husband, I have a favor to ask of you. It’s for Astrea’s sake.” The queen said, catching him as he walked out of the room. “What do you need my dear?” The king asked. “I want you to marry Astrea to Count Vernon.” The queen said, innocently. “Why would I do such a thing as that?” The king asked. “Lady Astrea will be quite happy with him, he can give her all she deserves and more. He had title and would be able to give her a family.” The queen said blankly. The king looked at the queen and decided that he was going to do as she asked. He walked to Astrea’s room and knocked. The door opened and he faced Astrea with red eyes. Astrea invited the king in and a place to sit. “Astrea, I have an order for you but you must agree to do what I want.” The king said sitting down.
“Your highness, I will do as you please. Tell me what you will have me do.” Astrea said curiously. “I am going to marry you to a count, I need you to marry him without question.” The king said, looking down at the ground. “Okay, I don’t know why you make such a request but I will do as you say.” Astrea said as she closed her heart off. The king got up and walked away without saying a word. Zane zoomed into the room after the king left and grabbed Astrea. “You stupid girl, why would you agree to such a dumb thing. You don’t have any idea what you got yourself into, this count isn’t someone you should even meet. He is nothing but a torturer and would take pleasure in harming you.” Zane said as she shook Astrea. “What does it matter? The only one I have ever loved is taken away from me. There is nothing that I can do, I will surrender and seal my heart away forever.” Astrea said emotionlessly. A few days later, Astrea was put into a wedding dress and stood at the alter with her new husband to be. She didn’t even bother to look at her husband, all she could think about was Prince Lumen. The preacher said the vows and when the count was to seal the deal, Lumen appeared. He punched the count and held Astrea close to him. “Astrea, I am sorry that I stood by and didn’t fight for us. I will save you, I swear it!” Lumen said emotionally. Astrea only nodded as Lumen was yanked away. The king ordered Lumen be locked up until he had control over himself. The count married Astrea that day but she didn’t feel happy. All she wanted was the count to be Lumen instead. Lumen was locked in his room and he could hear the bells ringing. They announced when someone was married. He continued to pound against the door and shout until his voice was gone. He leaned against the door and kept hitting on it. He flew to the window and watched as Astrea was taken away from the castle. Astrea couldn’t help but look behind at the castle, wishing that she was with Lumen instead.
The count eyed Astrea and grabbed her by the chin. He kissed her but Astrea didn’t feel anything when he did it. Astrea pulled away and continued to stare out the window. When they arrived at the giant house, he dragged her in the door and slammed it. “Now my dear, you will clean this house and keep me company in the bed.” The count said. “I will clean your house but I won’t sleep with you.” Astrea said, meeting his look. The count grabbed her and threw her over his shoulder. He stalked to the bedroom and pinned her to the bed. The look in his eyes and the evil smile on his face scared her. He ripped her wedding dress and exposed her breasts. Astrea started to fight back and she scratched his face. He backed away and slapped her. He got off of her and grinned at her menacingly. Astrea sat up and used the skirt of her dress to cover herself. “In time, I will make you completely mine but first I must make it seem like a honey moon.” The count said smiling. He turned and walked out the room, Astrea put on a dress she had found in the closet. When she walked down the stairs, the count turned and looked at her. A look of anger crossed his face but he hid it behind a blank face. Lumen was released and as soon as he was, he punched the king in the face. Lumen was locked back into his but he didn’t know the danger in which Astrea was in. A few months had passed and Beyonca was starting to show. Lumen was still being locked away for his behavior but he couldn’t quit until he had Astrea back. One night as Lumen was sitting on his bed, someone opened his window from the outside. Zane flipped into the window and landed on his feet. Lumen grabbed him by the front of the shirt and scowled at him. “Look, we got to help Astrea.” Zane said glaring to the side. “What? isn’t she happy?” Lumen asked, letting him go.

“The count is dangerous, he’s been married seven times. Each of his wives had died of a mysterious accident. I think he plans on doing the same thing to Astrea.” Zane said.
The two guys jumped from the window and landed on their feet. They raced through the woods and came out to the road. Zane called a carriage to them and they climbed in. The driver was slow so Lumen decided to take control. He pulled the driver back and grabbed the reins. He slapped the reins against the horse and made it run. Zane and the driver grabbed anything they could so that they didn’t hit the top of the carriage. They reached the gates of the count’s house and decided to go on foot. Astrea was busy cleaning the stair railing and the count came up behind her. He put his hand on Astrea’s hips and pulled her close to him. She felt him against her and had to stifle her sickness. She stepped away from him and he growled in response. He pushed her up against up the railing and slide his hands down her body. She shoved her away and got close to the railing. When she looked over the railing, she knew she would die if she fell. He pushed her and she fell over the railing. He stood at the railing and held onto her hand. He smiled and let her hand go. She started to fall and she wished that Lumen was her husband instead. When she thought her life was about to end, she fell into someone’s arms. She didn’t know why but the arms made her feel safe. When she looked up, she met Lumen’s eyes. She hugged Lumen and he held her close. “Let go of my wife.” The count said walking down the stairs. “She isn’t your wife anymore, she’s coming home with me.” Lumen said, setting her on her feet. “I will kill her before I let you have her.” The count said, drawing his sword.
Zane pulled Astrea behind him and let Lumen deal with the count. They crossed swords and the count was stronger than Lumen but Lumen was faster. “I’ll kill her.” The count said, pushing his sword against Lumen’s sword. “Just like you planned to anyway, you think I didn’t notice that you let Astrea fall.” Lumen said, sending the count flying backwards. “Your right, I did plan on killing her. I will kill her after I finish with you two.” The count said sending Lumen’s sword flying. The count rushed Astrea but his sword didn’t hit Astrea. Astrea opened her eyes and saw Lumen in front of her. The count’s sword was in his stomach and Lumen held onto the hilt of the sword. Astrea yelled Lumen’s name but he didn’t pay her any attention. He pushed the sword out and twirled it towards the count. “You die here!” Lumen exclaimed with blood running down the side of his mouth. Lumen shoved the sword into the count’s heart and the count fell to the ground dead. Lumen fell back against Astrea and she caught him. They both slide to the ground and Astrea held him on his lap. Lumen closed his eyes and Astrea began to cry, she yelled Lumen’s name many times. Lumen was rushed to the castle and Astrea stayed by his side. They put him in his bed and Astrea refused to move even when the doctor came in. The doctor checked Lumen over and told everyone that his wound would heal. Lumen got stuck in bed for over two weeks and it drove him crazy. If it wasn’t for Astrea taking care of him and being by his side, he would have lost his mind for sure. The king walked in because he had decided it was time for the whole story about the count’s death. Lumen explained what happened and how he got the wound. The king listened intently and made a decision about how he would handle the situation. “I see, so it wasn’t your fault. I will explain what happened to the kingdom and they won’t blame you. You were merely doing your duty to your people. Astrea you are no longer married so feel free to do as you wish, of course you are still suppose to live here.” The king said standing. “Thank you, your highness.” Astrea said watching the king walk to the door.
The window opened and Zane landed in. He smiled a c***y smile at Lumen and hugged Astrea. Lumen jumped out of the bed and pulled Astrea back to him. “I got good news for you.” Zane said, looking at Lumen. “What would that be? Did you come all this way to tell me that you’re moving away for good?” Lumen asked. “ha ha, real funny. Maybe you don’t want to know what I got to tell you.” Zane said. “Please tell us, Zane.” Astrea said. “That baby isn’t yours, it’s actually your father’s.” Zane said smiling. “How would that happen?” Lumen asked. “I over heard Beyonca talking to someone on the phone, she was gloating about how she would be marrying a prince and how she would be queen.” Zane said. “Wait seriously?” the prince asked surprised. “Also the queen was the one who came up with the idea but she didn’t know about the baby being the king’s.” Zane said happily. “I see but how will I handle the current situation.” Lumen said, pondering the thought. “There is something else I need to tell you, it’s about Astrea.” Zane said, looking Lumen in the eyes. “What could it be?” Lumen asked, giving him his whole attention. “While you were gone, the queen she…” Zane started to tell him but Astrea put her hand over his mouth. Lumen looked at Astrea in surprise but he knew he would get no where with her this way. “By the way, how do you keep getting into my room?” Lumen asked. “Hey I just thought you might want to know since you said you were almost positive that the child wasn’t yours.” Zane said grinning. “Hmm that is true, you did say you were almost positive.” Astrea said, giving Lumen an icy glare. “uh look I don’t know what you’re talking about but now isn’t the time to being talking about this.” Lumen said, forging innocents.
The three of them raced to the king and busted open the door to the throne room. Lumen bowed to the king but he didn’t look at his father. “I know the child isn’t mine but I do know whose it is.” Lumen said, still bowing. “Whose child would it be, my son?” The king asked amused. “It’s your child, Beyonca is pregnant with your child and the queen wanted to pass the child as mine.” Lumen said. “How dare you try to get out of being the father of my child.?” Beyonca yelled. “Tell me when have I slept with you without using protection?” Lumen asked, standing up and hitting her with an icy glare. “Uh well I…it’s true. The child is indeed the king’s.” Beyonca said, squirming under Lumen’s glare. “so it’s just as I thought then, I will be taking care of mother and child.” The king said joyfully. “how dare you betray my trust, husband.” Maria said outraged. “Just the same way, you tried to trick everyone in the kingdom.” The king retorted. The queen stood silent and Lumen took Astrea to his room. On the way, Lumen didn’t say anything but Astrea could feel his frustration. When they entered his room, Lumen grabbed Astrea and kissed her. He kissed her deeply, pushed on by Astrea wrapping her arms around his neck. He pushed her onto the bed and kissed her neck. She pulled him closer and he pulled her dress up. He entered her and she gasped. He started to move with her and she moaned. After about thirty minutes, he went over the edge. He lost his control and unloaded inside her. Astrea didn’t know and Lumen collapsed beside her on the bed. Astrea snuggled up to him and they both dozed off. Morning came and the birds chirping woke them both up. The queen who had saw them go into his room and not come out, knew that she had lost. She knew that the only way to keep her seat was to kill Astrea. The wedding was set for nine months away and the couple were happy as could be.
The queen wrote Astrea a note saying that she wanted to talk to her alone. Astrea went but didn’t tell Lumen about it. When she arrived the queen was sitting on a couch with guards around her, Astrea didn’t know any of the guards. “so you thought you had won but I don’t think so, these are my friends. They will take care of you.” The queen said, signaling to the guys around her. “You won’t get away with this. Lumen will find me.” Astrea said struggling against the guards hold. “Take her away but first there is something I must do.” The queen said. Maria punched Astrea in the stomach and smiled at her. Astrea lost her breathe and doubled over as mush as she could against the guards hold. They dragged her to a carriage and threw her in. Lumen got to his room and found a piece of paper with the queen’s hand writing on it to Astrea. Lumen had a bad feeling and rushed to the meeting place with his guards. The queen was sitting where she had been but pleaded that she had been waiting for Astrea. Lumen felt like she was lying but he didn’t have proof. He walked out of the place and told his guards to make sure the queen didn’t leave. He ran but he didn’t know where he was suppose to run to. A guy staggered out of the bar and bumped right into Lumen. Lumen didn’t budge but the big guy was mad about Lumen being in the way. “Tough guy huh, I’ll teach you a lesson and send you away like we did to that cute girl a few hours ago.” the guy said, swaying. Lumen kicked the guy in the face and dodge his attack. The guy swing down on Lumen but Lumen was able to block him. Lumen jumped and kicked the guy in the back of his head. The big guy drew his gun but Lumen had his sword against his throat before he could point the sword. He dropped his gun and fell to his knees. “Tell me what you know before I kill you.” Lumen said threateningly. The big guy knocked as he noticed that Lumen’s eyes were as sharp and cold as the sword held against his throat.

After Lumen got the whole story, he headed towards the boat in question and accompanying him was the big guy. When they reached the boat, they climbed on board. Soon every pirate on the boat was standing against them, the numbers were more than they could deal with. When the captain went to hit Lumen, someone sent him sprawling. Lumen looked up and saw Zane fighting the pirates. The three of them took on the pirates and soon the pirates were all taking naps. Lumen rushed below deck and found Astrea bounded with duct tape over her mouth. She couldn’t see anyone because of the blindfold over her mouth. She was shaking when Lumen took her into his arms and he removed the duct tape. She started to scream as soon as it was gone. Lumen kissed her and she relaxed against him. They undid the bindings on Astrea and the rest. The other girls ran for their lives and Lumen held Astrea to him. “I’m so glad to be out those things.” Astrea said happily hugging Lumen. “I don’t know, I kind of liked you looking like that.” Zane said smirking. “We’re leaving right now.” Lumen said pulling Astrea behind him. They soon arrived at the meeting place and Lumen looked into Astrea’s eyes. “The queen is in there and I will let you do anything you want to do to her. Even kill her for killing your mother.” Lumen said seriously. “What do you mean she killed my mother?” Astrea asked. “She was the one who summoned the black rain who made your mother die. She even killed her own brother but at that time she didn’t mean to.” Lumen said sadly. Astrea turned and walked into the building. “so it was you who killed my mother.” Astrea said, standing against the queen. “Yes perhaps I did, she was a lady of a lower class and she didn’t serve to be friends with the king so I had to do what I had to do.” Maria said smiling. “Did you think that about your brother too?” Astrea asked. “I’ll kill you!” the queen yelled angrily. The queen rushed at her but Astrea punched her in the face. Astrea drew a sword and held the point at the queen’s head. The queen bowed down to her but Astrea threw the sword aside. “Why didn’t you kill me?” the queen asked. “My mother always told me to take mercy on those who were less fortunate than I. Plus you don’t deserve to die, you deserve to pay for what you’ve done.” Astrea said walking out the door. Nine months later, Lumen and Astrea were married. After the wedding, Astrea started to have pain and she was rushed into her room. Hours had gone by but Lumen wouldn’t leave the area in front of the room. The door was opened and out came a nurse who motioned for him to go in. When he went in, he saw Astrea holding a baby. “Would you like to hold your baby?” Astrea asked smiling. “What’s her name?” Lumen asked as he stared into the purplish blues eye that were just like his. “I haven’t named her yet, I wanted you to name her.” Astrea said. “I’ll name her Flora.” Lumen said, holding the baby close to him. “I’m glad, I think her name fits her.” Astrea said. “Just like a flower who reaches for the light of her mother. Your name fits you perfectly too, for years now you have been my light, you are my bright light in the darkness I have been stuck in for all this time.” Lumen said, kissing his wife.