Forever and Always | Teen Ink

Forever and Always

By Sarahdeanda, claremont, California
Sarahdeanda, Claremont, California

Author's note:

This was a piece that I had to do for my honors english class. I was inspired to turn it in to get a better perspective on my writing and see if this something that I can be good at in the future and see this as my profession.

Chapter 1
  I woke up at 6:30 , wishing that the day was not October 20th. My dad thinks it is weird for someone to not like their birthday. Even when I was younger, my birthday was just a regular day for me. I still wanted to go to school and pretend that I just didn’t turn another year older. Of course, my parents wouldn’t let that happen, even though I told them every year that I didn’t want anything, they would get me a cake and some presents. Dad now likes to go all the way out for my birthday, after what happened to mom. My mom passed away to cancer about two years ago. I miss her a lot, I wish that she could see me now and see what I have accomplished I feel that she would be proud of me. Dad and I have always been close, but after mom passed away things have been different for us. Dad is a doctor and works a lot, but now that I have gotten older he works longer it sometimes feels as if he doesn’t want be home.

Before I get out of bed, I hear my phone beep, it’s a text from Nate, it says “Happy Birthday!!!”.

I text him back, saying, “Thanks, but you know that I hate it when people say Happy Birthday, right?”.
He replies, “Of course I do, but as your best friend I need to tell you that”. I roll my eyes when I see the text. Nate and I have been best friends since we were three. Our families are really close. Nate has always been there for me, he is not only my best friend, but he is like my brother. When my mom passed away, Nate hardly left my side. When I needed to cry or talk he was always there for me, it didn’t matter what time of the night it was he was always there. I don’t know who I would be if I didn’t have Nate.
Nate is the guy that everyone likes, at school all the girls have a crush and all the guys want to be his friend. Nate is super smart, outgoing, and athletic. Nate is in three different sports, he is in football, soccer and basketball. One thing about Nate is that he is also a party animal, he likes to go out with friends and go to parties. I on the other hand, don’t go out at all. I rather spend my weekends at home working on homework and reading a good book. I am not athletic at all, I don’t like playing sports. You could find me studying instead of playing sports. Nate tries all the time to get me out of the house more, in other words he tries to get me out to parties. Everytime I tell him that I just want to stay home and not get in trouble he says, “Come one Kate, NYU won’t deny you just because you go out and have fun for one night. Come,we will have a good time.” I roll my eyes at him and still tell him no, he then finally gives up and goes without me. NYU, has been my  dream college ever since I was five. My mom went there and she loved it. She would always tell me that I would love to go there too. This year is my junior year, the year that colleges look at, I have to do good or else I can kiss NYU goodbye.
I decided that I should get out of bed and get ready for school. Before I get out of bed I hear a knock at my door, it is my dad, he comes in and wishes me happy birthday.
I say thanks and just as I am about to get out of bed, he stops me and says, “Hold up there pumpkin, I have surprise for you. I know that you just got your license yesterday and I know that you are trying to save up for a car, but I got you one anyway! I know that you have been stressed because of school, but you are doing great getting all A’s on your first report card, so here you go.” I couldn’t believe what he just said, he then gave me some keys. I was super excited to see the car, I gave him a hug and thanking him so much. I then run out of the house, to go see my new car and there I see it, my dream car. I wanted a white Range Rover for the longest time, that I started to save my money and got a job babysitting my cousins and my neighbors kid so I can finally get this car, but there it is.
“It’s the exact one that I wanted, thank you so much dad!” “Your welcome pumpkin, I know that you have worked hard and I know that you were saving up your money so you can buy a car, but I am just so proud of all that you have accomplished and I know that it’s not easy and all. Especially that your mother is not with us anymore, but I know that she would be proud of you too.”
I give my dad a huge hug and kiss and head up excitedly texting Nate that I would go pick him up in thirty minutes. He was confused by the text, but said ok I couldn’t wait until I showed him my new car. I get ready and eat breakfast before I go get Nate. When I pull up on his driveway he is awestruck by the car. He looks at me wide eyed and says, “This is your birthday present from your dad?!”
“Yup, he said that he was proud of me and all that I have done, that he wanted me to have this car.”
“Lucky, I wish that my parents would get me a car for all that I have accomplished.” I have laugh as we pull out of his driveway.

Chapter 2
When we go into the school parking lot, everyone is watching us. When we get out all I hear is “Wow, Kate that is a cool ride” or “Kate, can you maybe give me a ride home?” I can’t believe that all these people know who I am, I am usually known as Nate’s best friend or that really smart girl, besides Nate I don’t really have other friends. As I head down to my homeroom, there I see him Josh. Josh has been my crush since I have started high school. We had biology freshman year together and it was really cool. Of course, I haven’t talked to him since that, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t think he is really cute. I know that he would never go out with me, because he is a popular kid, and popular kids only date and hang out with other popular kids. Nate of course, thinks that it is really silly to have a huge crush on Josh, since I haven’t talked to him in two years. He thinks it is really funny for me to have a crush on him since they are friends, but I can’t help it. After homeroom, I go to science then math, and photography by then it is time for lunch. I meet up with Nate in our usual spot, we like to hide from the rest of the school, because if not all the  popular kids want to talk to Nate and I am just stuck there eating lunch by myself. I told Nate that it was fine if he wanted to go have lunch with them, but he keeps telling me that he rather eat lunch with me and spend time with me instead of hanging out with all of them. Just as I get to our spot, I see that Nate has my favorite lunch, a ham sandwich, lemon chips, grapes, and a cookie. That has always been my favorite lunch, because my mom would pack it for me all the time. I see Nate smiling as I walk over to him, “Man, you really are my best friend, you know what my favorite lunch is, but you know you shouldn’t have”, “yup, and that is not all that I have for you.”
I see behind him are two backstage passes to go see AJ Mitchell in concert. “What?! Are those, no way!!”. I scream jumping up and down. “Nate, no way! We are going to go see AJ Mitchell! What?!”. Nate laughs and nods his head. I give him a big hug.
“Yup, I got us tickets to go see him in concert tonight and the Hollywood Forum, I already told your dad and he said that it was alright.”
“Wow, where did you get these tickets, I thought that he was sold out.”
“Yeah, but I know a guy.” I roll my eyes, I can’t believe all of this has happened to me today.

Chapter 3
  I didn’t know what to wear to the concert. I didn’t want to be too fancy, but I also didn’t wear my casual jeans and a t-shirt. I then remember that I got some black jeans and nice blouse from Urban Outfitters the other week. The jeans were ripped at the knees and had fitted me perfectly. The blouse that was a soft pink, which looked really nice with my skin tone, I then decided to put on the necklace that Nate had gotten me last year, it was a simple gold chain with a gold K on it. I put on my black vans, and waited for Nate to text me that he is at my house.
I got a text from my dad while I was in the car saying “Have a great time at the concert sweetie. Please be careful and text me when you guys are leaving the concert.:)”. “It was just a text from my dad, he just said to have a great time at the concert and be careful.” I said to Nate.
“Ok cool, we are almost in Hollywood. Since we don’t have that much time before the concert starts, we are going to go to the concert and then I made a reservation for us to eat at this restaurant which is a great place to eat at .”
“Nate, oh my gosh, how many more surprises are there? Seriously, this has already been the best day of my life. Are you trying to make me die of happiness?”
He chuckles. “Yup that is what I am trying to do.”
“Really though, thank you for all of this. This is the best day of my life and the best birthday ever.”
“Well your welcome. Kate you have done so much for me I thought it was time for me to do something nice and memorable for you.”
“Well thank you.”
“Hey, that is what best friends are for.”

Chapter 4
After the concert we went to the restaurant Nate had gotten reservations for. Nate pulls in to the valet parking and we are greeted by one of the workers. As soon as we walk in, the waiter shows us to our seats. I get the mac n cheese, while Nate gets the spaghetti. After we finish our dinner we get the check and decided that it was time to head on home, since it was a school night. As we are walking out I just realized that I forgot my phone on the table. I tell Nate that I have to get my phone, and that I will be right back. When I get to the table where we were sitting I already see that some other people have already been seated.There were two guys, one of them was really muscular and just wore black. The other one was wearing a long sleeve shirt with jeans, a hat, and some sunglasses.  I go over and say politely, “Hello, I am sorry to bother your dinner, but I think that I may have left my phone on this table. Is there anyway that maybe you guys saw it or maybe are sitting on it?”
“Yeah, I just found it not even a minute ago. I was just going to give it to the waiter.”
Just as I looked up I saw his wonderful brown eyes and there he is the man of my dreams. “Oh my gosh you are AJ Mitchell” I say so awestruck.
“A fan! I always love to meet a fan, especially if they are really pretty”.
I could feel myself blush, I couldn’t believe it. My celebrity crush, a guy who I have been obsessed with since I don’t know for how long sees me and thinks I am pretty. “Well thank you, also good show tonight me and my friend had went to your concert”.
“Well I am glad that you had a great time at my show. I wish that I knew your name though”, he says.
“Oh, I am Kate, and I have been a fan of yours for a while, my best friend Nate who is waiting for me in the front surprised me with tickets to your show tonight, it was a birthday gift”.
“Oh, well happy birthday! I do not mean to sound like a weirdo or anything since you do not really know me, but is it ok to get your number? You seem like a really nice girl, and I would love to get to know you better, would there be any chance that you would like to go on a date with me?”
I did not know what to say, my celebrity crush who does not know me at all wants to take me on a date. “Yeah, sure my number is 909-347-1267”.
“Thanks Kate, I will be calling you soon”.
“Yeah no problem, call me anytime. Bye”
“Bye”
Just like that I could not believe what had happened. AJ Mitchell this celebrity who doesn’t know me at all decides that I am really pretty and wants to take me on a date! I could not believe it. As soon as I get in the car, Nate looks at me with this worried and sad look in his eyes. “Where have you been?”
“Hey, sorry I took so long, but you are never going to believe what just happened to me. As I went back to go get my phone, there was already someone sitting at our table, but guess who it was you are never going to believe it, it was AJ Mitchell! Nate, it was AJ Mitchell! The best thing happened after he had given me my phone back, he then thought that I was pretty and glad that I was a fan and he asked me for my number. He wants to take me out on a date with him so he get to know me. Doesn’t that amazing?’
“Yeah.. That sounds pretty cool Kate, but there is something that you should know….”
“I just can not believe that this is happening to me. Nate you know how much I hated my birthday for all these years and how depressed and sad I have been and how I just wanted for a day to have all my dreams come true.Well, it seems that it is finally happening. Nate, you knew how much I was angry at my dad for not being around that much anymore after what happened to my mom. You knew how much I needed to live out for one day and let everything go my way, since I haven’t complained about anything and have done everything for anyone and be in the shadow. Well, today was my day in the spotlight and now I feel that my whole life will change, now finally living and being the person I want to be!”
“Kate! Stop! AJ Mitchell doesn’t like you and really doesn’t want to take you on a date. Your dad paid him to ask for your number and say that you are really pretty and take you on one date. He doesn’t really like you and he will never be with you!”
I just felt this anger rise inside of me, my blood was starting to boil. I couldn’t believe what Nate just said, I could feel my hot tears stream down from my face.“WHAT!? For once I thought that someone actually liked me and that I was special, but you are telling me that this is all fake! This entire day, is a fake!”
Nate is starting to cry, I can see the tears starting to roll down his eyes. “Kate, I am sorry I didn’t tell you about this day, but your dad and I just wanted you to have a day where all your dreams and wishes come true. I didn’t know until I picked you up that your dad was going to pay for AJ to ask you out. He just wanted you to feel special and be happy.”
“You still could have told me Nate! I thought that we were best friends and now you are telling me that this day is an entire fake, and me makes me think that maybe our friendship is a fake! Maybe you feel sorry for me, and that maybe my dad had to pay you so you can be my friend, since clearly you both don’t think that I can be happy by myself!”
“No, of course that isn’t true! Kate our friendship is really, you are my best friend! Look, I am sorry that I shouted this out on you, but I did not know how to tell you this, I just wanted you to have the best birthday, not because you think I feel sorry, but because I love you Kate! I love you, not just as a best friend, but as more! Kate, I know that this is probably a terrible time to tell you, but I have had a major crush on you, since as long as I could remember.”
I had no idea what to say. It just hit me by surprise, Nate my best friend who I have known for the longest time and someone who I can be myself completely likes me likes me. Just then I realized that I leaned in and I kissed him right on the lips and he kisses me back. I feel this energy between our lips as we kiss. I realized it right at that moment, that I always liked Nate, but I was always too scared to do or say anything about it. We then are just in the car making out, and I no longer feel angry at Nate or my dad. I just feel free and alive for the first time in a while. I guess that I never knew that I would be in love with my best friend.

Chapter 5
It is currently December 1st, and me and Nate are going out and have made it official that we are no longer friends, but boyfriend and girlfriend. I can’t honestly tell anyone how happy I am that I am finally with Nate. We have been going out for a month now and it always feels new everyday that we are together, Of course, most of the girls at the school were sad to see that Nate was finally taken, but he doesn’t seem to care. My dad and Nate’s parents were not surprised when we told them together on Thanksgiving that we are dating. M dad even told me, that he and my mom always knew that me and Nate were going to date. As for me and my dad, we have gotten closer. I told me on how I felt, since he has been working so much, that we finally are on the same page again. For the first time I feel loved and free, as my mom used to say you will forever and always will be loved.