Our Story | Teen Ink

Our Story

By Noelia.Torrez, Danbury, Connecticut
Noelia.Torrez, Danbury, Connecticut

"Stars Can't Shine Without Darkness" and "If friends are the family we choose I'm glad I chose you"

Author's note:

What inspired me to write this was my love life.

When I first laid eyes on her,
I thought how could a human
being in this world be so beautiful?
I thought that there
was no way on Earth
that this girl could be mine.
Turns out,
I was as wrong as I could ever  be.
We met through her best friend Bella, one day she randomly started talking to me, at first I didn’t know what to think until she told me that she is one of Bella’s closest friends. By then I still didn’t know if she was worth my trust. Until one day she texted me and told me that she was feeling upset, me like the gentleman I am asked her why, she told me. It was upsetting, so I told her that everything would be ok. To help cheer her up I decided to tell her a little about me and how I had this girlfriend that cheated on me. I told her that I had proof, and I shared with her all the details. At this moment she was telling me that not all girls were the same. Little did I know that those girls she was talking about was her and that she liked me back. I don’t know why, but all of a sudden I started feeling these mixed emotions, on how a human being could be so beautiful, and still be human, I started feeling satisfaction when she texted me. So i decided to tell her, and I told her that I began enjoying her company. When I told her that, she smiled, and boy I’m telling you, her smile could light up a whole room. Oh, I’m sorry I didn’t introduce myself. I’m Devin.

I definitely told her she had a gorgeous smile. And there it was again, the smile that every time I saw it made my stomach fill with butterflies. I remember saying something quite funny, she giggled, and boy oh boy was that the cutest giggle I had ever heard. And yes, I did tell her that too. Was I really holding my heart out on my sleeves for this girl? When I realized that I started developing feelings for her I had to tell her. The only problem was that I was slowly and passionately falling for a stranger. Except that this was different, it felt right, it felt as if she was meant to be mine, and, she didn’t feel like a complete stranger to me she felt as if i had known her all my life. Describing her is like describing the way a bird's feathers curve into its wing, or the way that poems are written, some are hard to explain and some just get to the point. But Natalee was different, she was unique. I’m telling you Natalee was something else, and that something else, that’s who I wanted, and nothing but her. She is really something, but here goes my description. She was a brunette, she had brown eyes, she had me falling head over heels for her, she was beautiful inside and out, she was my start and my finish, my shoulder to laugh and cry on, I didn’t know there was a definition of true beauty until I met her. She was like something I’ve never seen before; My exact words to describe her were actually “She is the most beautiful, and sexiest human being I have ever seen in my life!” I couldn't believe my eyes. Later that day Bella made me thank her for letting Natalee go through her phone, and I did. I thanked her so much, because of Bella I was able to meet Natalee. Natalee was sweet. She had a modest attitude that had me going crazy every time she used it. She was also very extra, but that just made me love her more. I wanted to tell her that and much more. I just didn know how, I tried to put it in words, and I told her. I had written her a paragraph explaining how I feel about her. When she told me she loved it, my heart lightened up. I’m still in shock knowing that I'm here holding my heart out on my sleeves for this girl. The only problem here is that it doesn't feel wrong, it just feels so right. I told her that before i wasn't falling, I'm falling head over heels now. To prove to her I liked her I started small, I started telling her that she was beautiful. When I told her that she responded to me saying she wasn't, and you know what I said, I told her yeah youre right youre not beautiful… youre gorgeous. I left her speechless, and boy was that the prettiest speechless face I had ever seen.
This girl had me going crazy, at first we started small, when we were on FaceTime I didn’t show my face at first because I was shy, but Natalee isn’t as shy and she forced me to show my face, I’m telling you, this girl is just something else. I swear. She is too cute, I love it. I tell her all the time. I tell her that she is beautiful, that she needs to stop being cute. She denies it, but I know her game, all she wants is for me to compliment her even more, and I would love nothing more than to compliment her and see her smile. Me and her have a couple days talking and I’m already growing on her. I trust her like I’ve never trusted anyone before. I tell her funny stories to make her laugh, just so I can see that smile, I write her paragraphs just so I can get to her heart, I tell her I love her, just so I can make her feel like the princess she is, I tell her all these things, and most of them she plain out tells me melts her heart. I can’t believe I’m saying this but this girl has me going crazy, and I love her for it, she makes me feel some type of way, she makes me feel like no other girl has ever made me feel. Sometimes I wonder what did I do so perfectly to deserve this girl? Because this girl is my number one priority, and I have taken it as my job to make her feel as if me and her are the only two people in this world. I have made her feel special.
Until one day I texted her, we talked all day, and when it became night I wrote her two paragraphs. The first one read, ‘Baby girl, I'm lucky to have you in my life I’m happy youre here for me and I'm here for you. I love you for everything that you are and everything that you aren’t and I love the fact that someone like me can have the luck to be with someone as beautiful as you. Not only gorgeous on the outside but on the inside as well. You’re my everything<3’ I wrote my heart out for this girl. Until i finally decided to ask her the question I had been meaning to ask her; but i didn't do it like any simple guy would I did it in my own way. This way went like this, ‘I honestly want you to be in my life. Not only as a friend or companion but as someone I can go to to vent to whenever I'm having a horrible day or someone to laugh with when my day is going as well as possible. What I'm saying here is I want you whole and fully, so I want to ask you… Will you be mine?’ And you want to know what Natalee answered with? She answered with “Nothing would make me happier. Of course I’ll be yours.’ This answer filled my stomach with butterflies. This answer made my whole week better.

I’m Bella, and I don’t like Devin. We have more of a love hate relationship. I love him on the low, but hate him on the high. I’m always so mean to him. I tell him he looks like a Gremlin. Honestly I don’t even know what that is. He is a fat f***ing retard Although he skinny. He always thinks he cute but he ain’t. He hasn’t showered in 5 months, and hasn’t washed his hands in 2… Months!!! Yes, Natalee and Devin met because of me. One day I was in English class and Natalee took my phone, and started looking through my Snapchat friends. And she found Devin. She added him on snapchat, and they started talking. I remember making Devin thank me later on for letting Natalee go through my phone. Me and Devin go way back. One day we were at the library and he said he hated his life, and how he wanted to hit his head with a hard covered book. I’m a ‘nice person’ so I asked him if I could do it for him, he said sure, So. I went got a hard covered book and bashed him on the side of his head with it… Oops? Sorry not sorry.

I’m Natalee… I’m Devin’s girlfriend as you can see. When we started talking he was such a gentlemen, he worried and cared about me. I remember him telling me things, I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t tell a stranger. I felt special, mostly because i myself was going through some tough times too. He helped me throughout that time. He made me feel as if I was the only girl in this world. He wrote me paragraphs and everything was going perfectly. One day we decided to meet up at the library. When I got there i texted him saying that I was there already, he texted me back saying he saw me, so I answered with, ok, then pop up. About a minute later he ran behind me. He gave me the tightest hug, ever. I felt safe, i don't know, as if everything, and everyone was right where they were supposed to be. A few minutes later my friend came through and showed up, she sat next to me. When she saw Devin she asked me if that was him and I answered with the obvious answer, yes. Devin was sitting in front of me playing a game with Bella’s cousin Leonardo. My friend Dani, asked me what the point was to meet up if he was just going to sit in front of me and play with Leonardo. I shrugged. At that moment, Devin got up, walked over to me, and just hugged me. I got redder than a tomato. It wasn’t cute. Devin started kissing my neck, that’s when i got really red. Bella started pointing it out, and yeah. When the library closed me and Devin walked to the back of the building, but before that Devin stood on a bench outside a library, and when he got down this weird lady came up to us and said ‘you know what happened to the last person I saw standing on a bench?’ Devin asked what, and the lad said ‘nothing, ha.’ After that, me and Devin decided to walk to the back of the building as I said earlier, there we started talking, on the way there he held my hand, and then he said something, I acted like I got offended, although I didn’t, I pulled my hand away from his, (Worst decision ever) I liked my hand in his. When we got to the back I texted my mom to pick me up. I shouldn’t have done that. When I texted her, Devin said that there was one thing he wanted to before my mother came. He pulled up my face and kissed me. I could’ve stayed there all my life. When I got home I texted him and told him that the kiss we had was amazing, he said it wasn’t because he needed more than a peck. I needed that too, but it was still an amazing kiss. Man this Devin guy is a great kisser omg. After that we just kept talking. The next day I wanted to facetime him but I couldn’t, two more days went by, and I hadn’t seen my baby’s face in three days. I'm not going to lie. It did bother me and it did make me upset but it is what it is. The only thing that mattered was that I was still texting him. Yes, I still felt upset since I couldn’t see him. It had been three days but it felt like forever. About two nights ago me and him tried to pull an all nighter, but he was tired so I told him he should go asleep. But, before that happened me and him were talking, it was like 2:00 in the morning. He told me he loved me and I asked him how much. You want to know his answer? This kid’s answer was I love you more than I love netflix… Let that sink in a bit. I then told him how much i loved him. I asked him to look outside, and to try and count every single star in our night sky, I told him I loved him that much. He then told me to do the same, we had our moment, and I loved it. That’s when I asked him if he was tired, he said yes, so I told him he should go to bed. He listened, after a long conversation. The next day he woke up at 1:25 PM. Yeah. That day we barely talked because he was babysitting his two cousins, and the wifi at his aunt's house was horrible. I spammed him with messages, and they all said I love you, with a special pink heart, that I only use on him, and a ring. He got annoyed, but oh well, he knows I still love him. When night came, I wrote him paragraph after paragraph telling him how grateful I am for him. I told him that I’m grateful for everything, I’m grateful for him in general. Here’s the truth, I am more than grateful for Devin. The thing is that there is no word to explain how I feel about him. Here is why I'm Thankful for him. He always puts a smile on my face, no matter the situation, he never complains about anything I do, if it were me I would have been complaining a long time ago, He is there for me when i need him. He makes me laugh when i don't want to even smile. He is always so understanding of me. He is there for me when I need to complain, or when i need to laugh, or just when i need a person to talk to. If he were to ask me why I love him, I wouldn’t know how to put it into words. But that doesn’t stop me from trying, and I’m about to. This is simple, I would say it to him, but I don't know if I should. Here goes everything. ‘Your smile, your eyes, your lips, your hair, your voice, your laugh, your hands, your smirk, your teasing, your humor, your weird faces, the way you walk, the way you say my name, the way you call me baby, the way you look, the way you talk… Everything about you, just you in general, drives me crazy, and I love you for it. I have never told him this, but I think it’s time. Devin to me is perfect in the most imperfect way, and I love him in a way that he has no idea. I think that the three words ‘i love you’ are not strong enough to describe how I feel for him, maybe that’s why i say it so much. The next day I was talking to Devin, it was about 5:00 pm, and I spammed him again with messages saying I love you. I told him that I love him so much right now. I told him that he has no idea how much he means to me. Devin is the type of person I need in my life, I’m glad it’s him that’s in my life. He puts up with all my stupidity, and all the stupid weird s*** I do. When I told him this he replied with It’s cute, not weird, you’re quirky, and it's adorable, Honestly. This really got to me. At the moment I was in Mcdonalds, I went to the bathroom, and told him that my shirt was type short on me, I sent him a picture, and he told me I looked cute like always. Earlier that day, I asked him if his birthday was in August, he said yes, I knew it was on the 15th but i wasn’t sure. I asked him and he said i don't know, is it. This got me really tight. He’s lucky I love him this much. I told him that if he didn’t tell me I wasn’t going to talk to him, he confirmed that it was in the 15th. I knew it. He told me he remembered everything about me, that I could quiz him, so i did. He got everything right. He calls himself a horrible boyfriend. He is the best boyfriend ever. I’m the horrible girlfriend that could barely even remember his birthday.

Since me and Devin started talking until today, everything has been perfect. As I said he is perfect in an imperfect way, and I love it. I love him. And he knows that. I don’t want anything to change. He makes me feel like the only girl in the world. And I love him so much for it. He has no idea. Devin is really something else. He means everything to me.