Being Autumn Rae | Teen Ink

Being Autumn Rae

By Sofia_Gonz07 GOLD, San Marcos, CA, California
Sofia_Gonz07 GOLD, San Marcos, CA, California

I had already sorted all of my thoughts out; I was going to go up to Madison and Willow and tell them I could not meet with them for our study group meeting today at 4pm. It was Thursday which meant my day was going to be packed with family errands. They knew my schedule already, but since they had made the time for the meeting 20 minutes earlier than what the time for the city park would be, they were eager to see me. I hadn't been able to hang out with them for months, and I really missed that as much as they did. I was in the car and my mom was humming to the song, love can save it all by Andra. I didn't mind much at all. Ever since I was a baby, I had grown fond of her lullabies, therefore her singing voice. Suddenly, she paused, the song still playing on the radio of her Ferrari California.

"Hey, Autumn?" She asked, her voice sounding puzzled.

"Yeah, mom?"

"When was the last time you went out with your friends?"

"I don't remember, I think it was about three months ago. Why?"

"We can trust them, right?" She asked.

"Yeah, I think so."

My mom sighed. 

"Maybe it's about time I let you go out somewhere with them again,"

My jaw dropped. 

"What? But mom, I thought you-"

She cut me off. "I know what I told every one. But I'm done with concealing ourselves."

"O-okay." I stuttered, still shocked when I set foot on my school. 

As soon as I was inside the school, I caught sight of Lilith, Madison, Willow, Sara, Ivory, Jade, and Rhegan. 

"Hey Autumn." Madison said, smiling. 

"Hey, guess what." I replied, grinning.

"What?" Jade asked. 

"This isn't another time where you tell us you can't hang out with us after school again, right?" Rhegan asked.

"No, it's the opposite." 

"What?!" Ivory exclaimed. 

"I can go, my mom said I could." 

"Aw, that's so nice of her."

"I know," Ivory added. 

"So, how are things with your family, Sara?" I asked. 

"Good, Sean isn't sick anymore."

"That's good,"

"Yeah, but if it weren't for you, it'd be otherwise; that medecine you gave me for him really did the trick."

"That's Autumn, a life saver." Rhegan said.  

I smiled. Suddenly their eyes all looked at someone or something else behind me and their voices became hushed. I turned, only to find Braeden with a charming smile. 

"Hello Rae." he said.

"Hey, how've you been?" I responded. 

"Good, but I missed you every day when you weren't here and your parents said we couldn't hang out anymore."

I smiled, touched at what he said and believing every word. 

"Something's changed," he pointed out. "What is it, Rae?"

"My mom isn't putting on those kind of limits on me anymore, Braeden. It doesn't have to be like this for us anymore,"

He smiled, relieved that I didn't admit any overwhelming news. 

"Does that mean we can be together again, like old times?" he asked, his voice squeaky with anticipation. 

"Of course, sweetheart."

"Aw, that is so cute!" Ivory remarked. 

"Yeah, but something's missing," Sara replied. 

Braeden and I looked at Sara. 

"Uh, hello?"She said, crossing her arms, like something was obvious. "You guys haven't kissed yet..?" She added, rolling her eyes. 

"Oh,"I laughed, hearing Braeden laugh nervously. 

Soon enough, the girls quieted down and Braeden leaned in to kiss me. I felt like I was me again, without limits, and without much worries. Little did I know that was about to change.

Fae_ lady- like angel

Unmarked Dawn
There are the days that you cannot run away from. The days you cannot avoid. What people don't realize is that those days were meant to be. You could wish that that day was erased or that it could be unreachable, but no matter what your wish was, it took place. I've had those days. But I grew resistant because of them. Not everybody embraces their life. For this reason, a few have considered suicide. Would you? I haven't let the thought get to me ever in my life, and so could you. Let me tell you a story about how my life returned to the wake of the dark and met Sydney Forthright. Braeden would be no more, Kaeden would rise in his place, and my family would unmask themselves. This was the Unmarked Dawn.

I was never going to take my aunt’s place in being the family guardian. To tell you the truth, I was neither planning it nor inscribed for it. My mom knew. My whole family knew. It was Serenity who would guide us along our troubles. She is my 19 year old sister, her voice rang clear, and her steps were always prudent. No one else would take her place. A letter arrived from the Angels of Harmony to our home tonight, and with it my entire family knew our lives would be changed. Here is what it said:

Dear Rae- Sahn - Drei family-
Your youngest daughter has been selected from the council of the Angles of Harmony to be your family’s guardian angel of truth. She has the ability to speak to the most essential people; the keepers of the most valuable elements of the Earth, meanwhile your eldest daughter may see into the future of your family and of the angles. Soon, you shall all understand why we have all agreed to this accordingly. We shall always be within reach.

With the deepest regards,
The Angles of Harmony

I was never prepared for such an arrangement. Because of my new role, I now had to go to the Angel’s Fawning Courthouse. My wings would change of hue, my strength would be much more, my appearance would be no more. I would be someone new.

“Welcome miss Rae-Sahn- Drei , we heard you would come. Would you like some water before we begin?” A young boy a few years older than me offered.

“Yes please, and, um, aren't you a little too young for this?” I asked.

He laughed.
“Oh miss, why, this is part of the disguise! I am my family’s guardian angel of truth, soon you shall be yours.”

I widened my eyes.

“How old are you?”

“20, Miss. Everyone looks two years younger than they are.”

I didn't know. I thought to myself. What else don't I know?

He smiled, nodding at a waiter as he came with the glass of water.

“I'm so sorry that you don't understand this quite yet,”

“Quite? I don't understand much at all!” I almost yelled, my wings coming out from their hiding spot.
The young man widened his eyes.

“Your wings..They’re much more white than they should be..” he murmured, his voice trailing off with ever word.

I took a step back, blushing heavily.

“Mama said it was normal.” I whispered.

“What's your mother’s name?”

“Winter Rae-Sahn-Drei.”

“Oh, well then that explains it. It runs in your family, right?”

I nodded.

“She’s a winter wing, no one really ever did understand why my wings are this way until you. Normally winter wings don't pass along the genes of the wings.”

“I understand.”

He walked up to me, looking me in the eye. Oh,no. He's going to kill me, isn't he?

I clenched my jaw.
To my own amusement, he held out a hand, his lips forming a smile.

“My name is Preston Harold-Drae. It's been nice talking to you miss..?”

“Oh! Autumn, it's..Autumn.”

“Right. Well, good luck miss Autumn.”

“Oh, no, please don't address me by miss, just Autumn.”

He laughed.

“You're a feisty fae, aren't you?”

“Hardly.” I replied, smiling in return.

“Well it'll be nice to have you around.”

Seconds later, his voice was but an illusion and hues were a piece to a never visited world. I was gone.

End of chapter 2

Someday your life will be at its peak and you will seriously believe that it couldn't possibly get better. But then it will.. and you will feel like you don't know your own life anymore. Well, I'm just here to tell you that’s not me. As soon as my life reached its peak, I got this. A return to the dark side of being an angle. So thank you world. Thank you sooo much. About a week ago, I had become my family's guardian angel of truth and as soon as I had reached the Awakened White stage in my becoming I was no longer the same. Perhaps many Guardian Angels here would tell you that the transformation was the most breath-taking event that they had the chance to encounter in their lives. But I am Autumn Rae Sahn Drei and I know regret when I see it. My mom has always been able to obscure her secrets with ease, but not today. Her eyes were apologetic and as much as she tried to be straight, her arms were slouched down.

“Mom? Is everything okay?” I asked.
“Of course, Autumn. You just look so different,” she lied.
She smiled weakly. Her voice could have fooled anyone. Perhaps everyone in the room, but definitely not me. But I went along with it anyways. I knew now was not a great time to let her guard down. As a result, I smiled.

“Okay. So, what’s next Preston?”

Preston looked at me, his jaw hung open and his eyes were wide. Seconds later, my mama cleared her throat and urged him to reply.

“We seriously need to get you prepared.” he said, grinning.
My mom looked at him, alarmed.
“Prepared for what?”

“For your presentation. You need to meet the Angles Of Harmony.”
My mom did not seem to understand what was going on, yet I still went along with what Preston was telling me. Who knew, maybe he was speaking the truth. He was a Guardian Angel Of Truth as well after all. Was it still possible for a Guardian to lie?

“Oh, right.”

“Follow me,” he said, beginning to walk.

As we were walking, I stared at my surroundings. There were no towering doors, there were no statues. He was taking me elsewhere.

“Where are you taking me?” I asked.

“I’d rather leave that a mystery,” he replied, his voice low.

I bit my lip.
“I'm not into surprises anymore, you know. I'm not a young fae you may fiddle around with.”

He turned, stopping as his hand lay on a doorknob.

“We met once, Autumn. But your name was not the same.”

I stared at him, looking into his eyes for answers. I got none. I could not possibly have had another name when I was younger, I thought to myself. He's testing me, I guessed.

“You're concealing something,” I said. “Reveal it.”

“I'm not here to deceive you, Autumn. You know we can't lie.” He responded, walking to me and caressing my cheek with his hand.

“No,” I gasped. “This isn't right.”
I took a step back, taking in a few deep breaths.

“What do you want from me?” I asked, my voice barely audible.

“Ever since I saw your name on the list, I knew something was up. This was my second chance to help you- to talk to you.”

Suddenly I was no longer in the same room as before. Instead, I was at a park and I.. I was younger? No, I can't have possibly gone back in time. The girl- 6 year old me was going down the slide and laughing like I was having the best time of my life, my father sat on a bench, watching me as I slid down and called out, ‘Fly! Fly, my dear, fly with the wind!’ I lifted my arms and felt the texture of the air, a big smile on my face. Once I was down, I ran right into his arms. ‘Guess who’s coming to play with you today?’ I looked at him, thinking, and replied, ‘Serenity?’ My father shook his head, and pointed to a boy a little older than me, his father walked beside him, waving to my dad. My dad put down his hand and stood up to greet the boy’s father. As the boy came closer, he turned towards me. ‘Hi,’ he said. ‘I'm Preston.’ I looked at him and replied, ‘I'm Eédrys.’ After that, we played as if today hadn't been our first day with each other, but our tenth. When we had to say goodbye, we were still inside a mini house. We hugged and before he said the word, he whispered, ‘I’ll see you again. I promise.’ I replied, ‘I'll wait,’ We walked up to our parents and stood beside them. Both of our fathers seemed happy. What had gone wrong? Why did I forget about him? Why was my name different when I was six? Then, I was back in the present. I could not utter a word.

“You had a vision, didn't you?” He murmured, looking down.

“Yeah,” I whispered.
“I've been having that vision for years,” he replied.
“What?”
“You heard me, I’ve had that vision for years. I haven't forgotten.”
“What happened?” I asked.
“When you were seven and it was your eighth birthday, I was invited to your birthday party. When I had arrived, it was too late. Only Serenity was still awake and unhurt. She saved you, Eédrys. That was why she was going to be the Guardian Angel for your family. But you were already unconscious, your parents wanted to help you, but they knew every angel couldn't unmask themselves to the rest of the human world, so they just stood there, in shock because they had already hurt you too much-”

“Who?”

“The humans. You lived elsewhere at the time. I had to save you, Eédrys. I used the only healing power I had at the time on you, the power of resurrection to the living world. After that, you weren't the same. You couldn't remember who I was, your name, or why you were hurt. Your parents saw how much it hurt to hear you ask me who I was, so they asked me to leave. Never did they allow me to see you again.”

“I don't understand, why would they do that? And how could I have possibly forgotten my name?”

“I don't know. I'm just so elated to see you here,” he sighed, hugging me tight.

“Your parents might not remember me, but there is a power that I have that may come to a great use.”

“And that is?”

“I can be as young as you,”

“I suppose that would be a great idea,”

He looked into my eyes, leaning into me. This time, I smiled and did not move away. Our lips met and I saw the world spin. I heard a few gunshots and collapsed, Preston fell with me and grunted, “I love you,” he closed his eyes. My vision went pitch black.
End of chapter 3