The Girl Who Ran | Teen Ink

The Girl Who Ran

By Lizzy.catherine2002 BRONZE, Exeter, New Hampshire
Lizzy.catherine2002 BRONZE, Exeter, New Hampshire

Author's note:

In my English class, we were asked to write a short story, and,  being the teenage girl I am, in love with the idea of love, I came up with a love story that I thought would be great if written.

“I’ll be right back, just going to freshen up.”  The petite brunette woman carefully removed her silky white shawl and purse from the back of her chair and strode off to the bathroom.
Eliza Marie Thomas was a quiet, but beautiful twenty-six-year-old woman.  She was the kind of girl everyone perceived to be unbelievably beautiful, and yet to her it was still a mystery.  She had a dark chocolate mane with salty caramel accents that fell in loose ringlets to her waist.  Her eyes a deep blue as dark and mysterious as the ocean on a warm summers night.
Eliza pushed open the bathroom door  and walked over to the sink.  Standing there with both hands on the counter and eyes peering into the mirror, she took a deep breath.  “Eliza what are you thinking?”  She said aloud to herself, “You've fallen for a man of whom you hardly know.”
“What if he's not who he says he is, what if he doesn’t feel for you what you feel for him…”
Drawing in a deep breath she came to a decision, “No, you're not going to run away this time, you can do this.”  With that, she walked out of the bathroom, but stopped almost instantly, frozen in place.  There he was, the man she loved, sitting at their table, and waiting patiently for Eliza to return.  No, pulling a small, black leather box from the inside of his blazer.  No, opening the box.  No, staring into the tiny box at the…

“Bonjour, welcome to Paris.”
Eliza stepped off of the plane and raced towards the baggage claim.  Once she had all of her belongings, she walked outside of the airport and hailed a cab.  “Brand new day, brand new place,” she told herself while climbing into the backseat of the tight enclosure that would take her to her next destination.
Gazing out of the car window, Eliza saw hundreds of happy looking couples.  They were everywhere, waiting for a falafel, outdoor dining areas, walking side-by-side on the sidewalk, everywhere.  After all, she was in what they called the “City of love.”  However, love was not the reason for her visit, she was in this beautiful, romantic, extraordinary city for the views.  Or, at least that’s what she thought. 
Her hotel room was breathtaking.  Centered against the wall adorned with fleur de lis stood a bed fit for a queen.  White, gossamer curtains draped the cherrywood frame and its white duvet cover that encased a blanket full of the softest feathers.  The chaise lounge along with the other furniture in the master suite possessed an antique charm with a modern twist, unlike anything she’d ever seen before.  However, the best part part wasn’t what was in the room, but outside of it - A set of French, paneled, double doors led to a small balcony overlooking the Eiffel Tower and the rest of Paris.  A table draped with a pale pink cloth and unlit candles, along with two chairs sat in the middle of the terrace.  The railings were wrapped in hundreds of red roses, thorns and all.  It was the perfect place for two people to fall in love…

A week had passed since Eliza had arrived in Paris.  Skipping down the stairs of the hotel, she smiled to herself.  It was noon and she was going to spend the rest of the day visiting one of Paris’s most admired tourist attractions, the Eiffel Tower.  She had nearly reached the bottom of the staircase when, CRASH!  She tripped and collided into a man standing on the last step.
“I am so sorry, I’m not normally that clumsy,” she began brushing away the invisible humiliation from her jeans when a hand reached down to help her up from the ground.
“No need to apologize miss,” The young man carefully helped Eliza up off the floor .  Looking at her with a puzzled expression he said, “I’m sorry, but I’m afraid we haven’t been properly introduced.  I am Lucas Dumont, may I ask what your name is?  A face like yours should be accompanied by a name that when spoken sounds like a choir of angels singing from the heavens.”
Hoping the the heat she felt upon her cheeks wasn’t visible, she looked at the  handsome man before her and replied, “Thomas, I mean Marie, I mean Eliza Marie Thomas, sorry,” she began to shake her head and look at the floor when Lucas gently took her chin in his hands and  tilted it upwards.
“Stop apologizing, you did nothing wrong.  Now, Eliza Marie Thomas, is it wrong for me to ask you to lunch even if we just met?”
“Yes.  I mean no.  That would be wonderful,” she smiled, feeling the heat return to her cheeks.

Nestled in a corner  booth at the famous restaurant, Holybelly,  Eliza and Lucas sat laughing while they shared stories about their pasts with each other.  They were so engaged in their conversation that the world around them cease to exist, and the  delicious meals that sat before them went untouched. 
“Wow, an only child with parents that could purchase the world and still be rich, and this is really your first time in Paris?”
“Actually, I paid for it on my own, but, yes.  I’d been wanting to visit since I was a little girl, and I’ve been on a bit of a traveling spree lately, Paris happened to be next on my list.  Besides, you're the one who grew up in this not only amazing, but expensive city.”
“True.  So, what do you do when you’re not traveling, do you have a job?”
“I mean, if you count writing poems in a journal, a job, then I guess you could call me a writer.”
“You write poems?  She walks in beauty, like the night Of cloudless climes and starry skies; And all that’s best of dark and bright Meet in her aspect and her eyes; Thus mellowed to that tender light Which heaven to gaudy day denies. One shade the more, one ray the less, Had half impaired the nameless grace Which waves in every raven tress, Or softly lightens o’er her face; Where thoughts serenely sweet express, How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.  And on that cheek, and o’er that brow, So soft, so calm, yet eloquent, The smiles that win, the tints that glow, But tell of days in goodness spent, A mind at peace with all below, A heart whose love is innocent.”
“She Walks in Beauty, Lord Byron.”
“You are quite an extraordinary girl, you know that Eliza?”  He looked at her with his hazel eyes, and their yellow, luminous tint while his shaggy, dark brown hair fell across his forehead, and smiled.  Eliza blushed and sat silent until Lucas looked down at his watch and said, “Wow, time really does fly by when you’re with someone special.  We have been here for the last six-and-a-half hours.  I should probably walk you back to the hotel now, it’s getting late.”
While the warmth from the sun’s light faded, the darkness of night crept in, bringing with it a crisp autumn chill, that made the two lovers shudder, drawing them even closer together as they made their way back to the hotel.  Lucas draped his coat over Eliza and took her hands into his.  He breathed his steamy breath onto her hands, in hopes of warming them.  This did the trick, but little did he know he was warming her heart as well.
Just as he was about to let go of her left hand, Eliza looked up into his eyes to say quietly, “You can hold my hand if you want.”
Walking side by side, fingers entwined, Eliza and Lucas entered the lobby of the hotel, reached the top of the stairs, and stopped right in front of Eliza’s room.  “I guess now is when we say goodnight,” she smiled, but began to feel the sadness of being alone again.
“Goodnight.” Lucas slowly released her hand and turned to walk down the stairs, but stopped just before reaching them.  Right as the door to Eliza’s room was closing, he stuck his foot in crack and stepped inside.  Looking at her with a longing expression, he pulled her in close, lifted her face to his,  and leaned in so there wasn’t an inch of space left between them.  He pressed his lips upon hers, and began to kiss her as if she was all he ever wanted, needed.
Pulling away slowly, he brought her hand to his lips, softly kissed it, and said with a wide grin on his perfect face, “Goodnight Eliza Marie.”
“Goodnight Lucas Dumont.”
Once Lucas had left, Eliza walked to the center of the hotel room, collapsing on the bed behind her.  Staring at the blank ceiling she began to ponder if what she felt for Lucas was true love.  Drifting to sleep that night, both Eliza and Lucas ended their romantic evenings with the feeling of walking on air.

Over the course of the next three weeks, their romance continued to blossom.  Time seemed to stand still as the two enjoyed one another’s company.  Each day learning more about one another, falling deeper in love, it was a fairy tale written in the stars.  However, love comes with it’s challenges….

There, crying on the sidewalk, frightened as ever, Eliza stood frozen in time.  She put two shaking fingers into her mouth and forced the deepest breath she could muster to produce a whistle that echoed through the streets of Paris. One by one the taxi cabs piled in rows before her. 
  Eliza climbed into the back of one of the many cabs.  As she gave the cab driver the address to her hotel, she began to sob  She couldn’t believe what she had just witnessed.  He had a ring, a beautiful diamond ring!  The memories of the last three weeks began to rush forth causing a flood of tears…  All of the goodnight kisses, secret smiles, laughs, and conversations they had shared, just for her to ruin everything and run away.  She had kept telling herself everything was going to be fine, that it would all work out, and yet here she was sitting in the back seat of a cab, running from her fear of commitment.
Her inner monologue was running wild with questions of self doubt.  What if he wanted to have kids with her, start a family, she wasn’t fit to be a mother, at least that’s what she told herself.  Then she remembered the way he spoke to her, never like she was less than him, always as if they were the same.  She needed him.  “ I need him.  Excuse me sir, but would you mind turning around and dropping me off where you picked me up?”
“ I’m sorry miss, but the traffic is too heavy, and it is an impossible feat to do what you are asking me to do.”
She began to wonder if going back was worth it.  Was the connection they shared real?  Would it last? Before she could second guess herself any further, she handed the cab driver cash, opened the car door, and ran.  Faster than she had ever run before, well, as fast as she could through the traffic covered streets.  The cab didn’t make it too far from the restaurant, and she could already see him, the love of her life, standing outside on the sidewalk, looking lost as ever.  Without stopping, she ran to him until she felt his arms enclose around her.  She finally felt like she belonged somewhere, with someone.  And it was Lucas, it had been Lucas since the moment she nearly toppled over her on the stairs that day.  She loved him, and he loved her.
“I love you Lucas Dumont, don’t ever let me go again.”
“I won’t Eliza.  I won’t.  I love you too.”