All Angels Can Fly | Teen Ink

All Angels Can Fly

By Victoria223 BRONZE, granite shoals, Texas
Victoria223 BRONZE, Granite Shoals, Texas

" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Author's note:

This book was written when i was going through depression. i still am, just not as bad. I hope you enjoy

Maxine

" do you really think, that I'm going to pay for this? It taste like dung. I asked for an iced vanilla latte. This is freaking Carmel!!!!!" The man in front of me yells. " sir, I'm sorry but that is what you ordered. " the lady says. " you know what? You can take this and drink it. " he says then walks of, after dumping the drink all over the counter of course.

I step up and grab a handful of napkins. " hey Tiana. " I say. " that man is always so rude." She says and starts helping me mop up the coffee which smells like vanilla, thank you. After we clean it up, Tiana looks up at me. " what can I get you today, babe? " she asks. Her black hair is pulled into a high point tail and her bangs sticking out at the front.

" do I ever get anything different? " I ask. "Carmel mocha and banana muffin it is. " she laughs. I smile and go walk over to a table. I put my bag in the chair across from me and take out my laptop. I take out my phone and click shuffle and Come on Eileen comes on.

I start working on my paper for Mrs Jones class. I'm a senior at Hamilton college in Clinton new York. I have to write a paper about how I think music impacts the world. Tiana calls my name and I go get my coffee and muffin. I sit back down, take a sip of my coffee and a bite of my muffin then continue typing.

" hello, can I sit here. " a girl with dark brown hair asks. I take a look at her. She's wearing a white lace crop top, flowery skirt, and sandals. Wow, way to make me feel unfashionable. I'm wearing black leggings, a grey v-neck, and a black peacock coat.

I don't talk to people, at all. I don't even have any friends aside from Tiana and she's thirty. My mom and dad hate me for moving to new York, and trust me, I've got somebody that I used to trust ruining my life. But, for some odd reason, I feel something telling me to make friends with this bright girl.

"Yeah, sure." I say and move my bag. She smiles and takes a seat. " thanks. I've got to study and all the other seats are taken. " she giggles, okay, she's annoying me already. She takes some papers out of her satchel. She grabs a pen and stars writing on her paper. Okay..... I get back to typing and reach for my coffee.

As I'm looking over, I see her name on her paper. " Molly Kate? " I ask. She looks up at me and smiles. " yeah, my mum loved the name. " she says. " mum? You're British? " I ask, noticing the light accent. " yeah, I was born in Virginia but then me and my mum left for England when I was five. But when I turned fifteen I moved back to Virginia. " she says.

" that's awesome. I've only been to Texas then I moved here. " I say, fascinated. " really? I've always wanted to go there. " she says. " what? You wanna see if all the hillbilly/redneck rumors are true? " I ask. She laughs, " that's funny Max. " she says.

" I never told you my name. " I say. " oh, um, your necklace. It says Max. " she says. I look down at the necklace that my best friend gave me before she died. I look up at Molly Kate, right into her eyes. They're light blue with light grey. They're sad like mine, they're broken. " well, the reason that I'm in New York is because I'm starting as a freshman at Hamilton and I need to find a person to stay with. I really don't want to use a dorm room. " she says and moves her hair behind her ear. " oh, well, I didn't like the dorms either. I'm staying in an apartment about twenty minutes from school. " I say. " you can stay with me. " I suggest. " omg, really? " she asks. " yeah, I wouldn't mind. As long as you like, pay half rent and help keep the place clean. " I say. " thank you Max!!! " she squeals. I laugh and look back at my lap top. I take another bite of my muffin and exit out of my work. I go to the Google search and start typing.

Molly Kate

I type in. Her name sounds so familiar and she looks so broken that she can't be real. A video comes up with a picture of a girl with long dark brown hair and blue eyes. The title read:

Molly Kate's goodbye video

Maxine

" okay, so, um, this is my apartment. " I say and set down my keys.
" it's lovely. " Molly Kate says. I put my bag in a chair then slide out of my jacket.
" so, there's a room that's empty across from my room in the hall. It's the one on the right. Go ahead and check it out. " I say. She walks away and I go into the kitchen. I grab an apple and then grab my bag and make my way to my room. I plop down on my bed and take out my laptop as I take a bite of my apple. I go on to YouTube and start the video.

I get comfortable and click play. The video starts with a girl that looks exactly like the girl in my apartment. She's wearing skinnny jeans, a black sweater theat says blink-182 and her brown hair is swaying in the wind. But I'm not looking at her appearance, I'm looking at the ledge that she is standing on. She looks straight into the camera.

" Ello, I'm Molly Kate Anderson. A lot of things have happened in my life. My mum beating me, my dad dying, my Gran leaving, my best friends betraying me, people call me terrible names and beating me... All these things have happened and they've led me to drugs, alcohol, cutting, burning myself, beating myself, becoming bulimic.... I've been pushed and pushed and pushed. And now I'm being pushed all the way over. But, all angels can fly right? " she says into the camera. She then turns round and looks down.

" All angels can fly. " she whispers then jumps.

I gasp and close my lap top. I wipe away my tears and take deep breaths. This girl, Molly Kate, is in my house but I literally just watched her kill herself. Maybe she didn't actually die, she just got injured but still made it out alive. Okay, I know how to tell.

I stab her, but no, what if it turns out she's real and it actually kills her? Oh my god, I'm thinking like a crazy person! Okay, Max, calm down. She is just a girl that tried to kill herself and didn't succeed. Yeah, that's it, I'm not crazy.
" Max?" Molly Kate calls. I jump back and run to my closet and grab a baseball bat. I walk towards my door and open it, my bat raised. " Max?" Molly Kate asks.
" what are you? " I scream, my bat still raised. I've gone crazy. I've been through middle school terrors, highschool h-e-double-l, almost four years of torture going on still by somebody I trusted, I can't take this!
" what do you mean max? " she asks.
" tell me what you are right now!" I yell.
" listen, Max, I'm here to help you. " she says, putting her hands up. I take a swing with the bat and she ducks. I take another and right before it is an inch next to her head, it evaporates. I look at her and then run. I try to run to the front door but she grabs my wrist.
" l-let go of me! " I say.
" no! Let me explain! " she yells and pulls me back. She pins me down on the wood floor and grabs my wrist.
" ow, that hurts!" I seeth.
" sorry. " she says and let's go then sits on my legs. I sit up and look at her, calming down.
" how are you so strong?" I ask.
" you live in New York, how are you not strong?" She asks, taking breaths. Oh yeah, then I remember, she's a crazy supposed to be dead person!!! I look at her and lunge.
" Max! Get off! " she yells. After I push her off of me, I make a run for the front door. I'm knocked down as I'm running and land back on the floor with an ' oomph'. Molly Kate sits on my legs again.
" dude, you've gotta stop trying to get out. It's not going to work. " she says. " really? I thought we were having fun. " I say.
" ha ha, no. Just let me explain. " she says.
" no, get off of me! Molly Kate! You're supposed to be dead! " I scream. Oh my god! My neighbors. Well, just more people to think I'm crazy.
" I know, I know. Just, it's kind of weird.. " she says.
" really? Try me." I say.
" okay, but your going to have to stay open minded." She says.
" okay. Now, get your butt off of me. " I demand.
" right. " she agrees and gets off me. I stand up and before I have time to straighten myself out, she grabs my arms.
" don't. Even. Think. About. It. " Molly Kate says, looking at me with a hard stare. I sigh and cancel my plans for running.
" now, just please don't go crazy after this. " she says, but it sounds like she's talking to herself. She takes me over to the couch and tells me to sit, which I do. I don't have a television in my house so the couch just looks out at the window wall. The afternoon sky seems to calm me down.

Molly Kate turns around to where her back it facing me. Nothing happens at first but then a bright light erupts through the room. I squint my eyes to look at Molly Kate. From her back, two wings have appeared. She turns around to look at me, her appearance changed.

She now wears a long white gown with flowy white sleeves but no shoulder fabric. Her hair is braided in an up-do and small white flowers accessories it. A bright glow still comes off her.
" you're thoughts, I know them. How you think that you are weak, worthless, stupid, ugly and so on. But Maxine, you are none of them. I killed myself a few years ago. I was depressed, people were mean. My mum abused me. So why not just kill yourself? Easy, right? I had a small sliver of hope that if I was truly worth saving that I would fly, but that didn't happen. But I realize why God didn't let me fly. It was my time, I needed to help you. " she says.
" so what are you saying, you're like my guardian angel? " I ask.
" you can say that. But Maxine, please, you need to know, all angels can fly, but it's not your time to test that out." She says, and with that her wings flap and she's gone.

My guardian angel is gone.

Thomas bridgewood

" have it, have it, have it. " I mumble to myself as I flick through the rows of music.
" found it! " I exclaim. It's a Nirvana album that I don't have yet. Crazy right? Me, Thomas bridgewood, not having all the Nirvana albums. I know, crazy. Okay, I need friends. The Bell rings to signal that somebody has walked in the store.

I turn to look at who had entered and I look at the person who walks in and drop the CD I'm holding. She's beautiful, blond hair, brown eyes, 5'2, skinny, wearing a black dress that goes to her knees and has long sleeves. She walks in holding a book. Her hair is in a high pony tail. She smiles at the person at the counter, but it's not a real smile.

She waits for the person to check in her book and turns around. She sees me. I blush and turn around. When I look back, she's gone and has moved to the music. She looks up at me and I turn back around. I want to talk to her.
" do you need something or are you a stalker? " a voice asks behind me. I turn around and see the girl. Her soft eyes look into mine.
" um, I don't um, okay?" Way to go Tom. She laughs. It's a fake laugh.
" so, since you didn't say you were a stalker, I'm going to ask if you know where-"
" Max.." She's cut off by a guys voice.

Her eyes grow wide and she looks at me in fear. I look to a tall guy with dark brown hair, livid green eyes, and a dirty look walk over to us. He walks up to the girl-max- and stares her down.

She looks down like a child caught stealing the cookies. " Why aren't you answering my calls? The guy demands.

I turn and walk away. I don't want to watch this.
" wait! " I hear Max call after me in an helpless voice. I turn and see the guy grab Max's wrist and her wince then try to get out of his grasp. He smacks her on the cheek then grabs her chin, forcing her to look at him. Her eyes look at me and I see tears.

" answer me. " he demands again.

I know I shouldn't, it's probably the worst mistake I've ever made, but I turn and walk away from the girl with the broken smile.

Max

The alarm goes off and I smile. Today's the day, I think to myself. Four years, I've been in New York for four years. Of course I visit Texas about two times a year but still.

Every since I was younger, I had my life planned out. Get through school, go to Hamilton- check. Now I'm through with college and I'm moving to..... Wait for it....... AUSTRALIA!!!!!!! Yup, Aussie world.

I've already practiced driving on the left and I know all the laws. Not only will I be pursuing my dreams, but hopefully he won't be able to follow me.

No Max, today's the best day in your life, you're not letting that ruin your thoughts. I mentally scold myself.

Speaking of things that shouldn't be on my mind, Molly Kate hasn't been seen ever since wings popped out of her back, that was two days ago. Maybe it was a dream. Whatever. I yawn, maybe I can sleep a little longer.......

I turn on my side and scream when I see a face looking at me. The face screams back but not in fear, in excitement.

" we're going to Australia! We're going to Australia! " Molly Kate- the face- yells and jumps on the bed.

" what the heck!!!! " I scream. Molly Kate plops down and grins at me.

" today's the day!! " she squeals and I cringe.

" what are you doing here? " I ask.

" today's the day we go to Australia!" She says.

" what do you mean, we?" I ask.

" me and you silly. See, I even dressed for the occasion." She says and motions to her outfit, sweats and a Nirvana shirt. " we gonna listen to Nirvana, Greenday, Blink-182, ugh, talk about amazing books, omg! Parent trap should come out soon!!! " she squeals.

" um, Molly Kate, that came out in like, 1998." I say. Molly Kate frowns.

" oh, " she says. " well, can you tell me what movies come out this year? " she asks.

" uh, I think there's supposed to be new transformer movies or something. " I say. Molly Kate sighs.

" I killed myself in 1998." She says quietly.

" Molly, you don't have to.... " I say. She nods then looks up and smiles.

" so, Australia???" She says and I giggle.

" we're going to Australia!!! " I scream.

" we're so going to Australia. " she laughs and hooks her arm in mine.

Australia, here I come!

××××××

" I'm never going on a plane with you ever again. " I say as we get out of the cab and go into the hotel.

" why? I thought it was fun. " she says.

" how are you so peppy? I'm so tired. " I whine.

" I'm an angel, remember? " she laughs.

" how could I forget. " I say. After checking into the hotel and climbing into bed, I shut my eyes and drift off into a peaceful sleep.

Thomas Bridgewood

" I'm just so happy you're back home sweety. " my mum says. I take a bite of my banana. " what's got you so down?" She asks and sits by me at the kitchen table.

I'm back home, in Australia. It's been about two days since the thing with that girl happened and I can't stop thinking about it. Max didn't deserve what she got.

" nothing." I say and stand up. " I'm going to go house hunting. " I say.

" you know, you could just stay with your mum until you're thirty. You don't have to move out at age twenty five. " she sighs.

" nope mum. I love you, I'll see you later. " I say and walk out of the door before she can start crying about how I grew up so fast. And please don't think that I'm some twenty five year old that lives in his mum's home all his life. I had an apartment at the college I went to in new York but I graduated so I had to stay with my mum here.

I call a taxi and go to my first destination, seeing my best friend, kian. Kian works at a hotel close by. I enter the doors and go to the counter.

" is Kian Lawrence working right now? " I ask the lady.

" um, Mr Lawrence was fired two weeks ago. " she says. I laugh. Classic kian. I turn to leave and see a girl with blond hair walking out of the doors. My heart quickens. It's her!!!

She's wearing a sweater and skinny jeans and her blond hair is shimmering down her back. She steps out the door and without thinking, I run after her. I grab her arm and she screams. But then she looks at me.

" how'd you find me? " she asks harshly. I hear something hit her leg and she says ow.

" are you okay? " I ask.

" no, let go of me- ow!" She says again.

" sorry, but, I just..... I can't believe you're here!!" I say.

" creep." She mumbles.

" ow!!" She screams.

" stop being so rude to the boy! " a voice from nowhere says. And out of nowhere, a girl appears. Not just any girl though. This girl has wings.

" you need to stop Max. He just wants to- oh my god. I think he can see me! Only you are supposed to see me!" The girl with the wings says.

My head starts to get dizzy and I pass out. Before I hit the ground, I fall onto something like a pillow. I think I just saw an angel, that's not something you see everyday.

" life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain. "

Maxine

" I don't understand how he could see me! I mean, the only people that can see me are the person I'm an angel to and that person's........ " Molly Kate looks up at me and smiles.

" what? " I ask.

" and that person's soulmate!!! " she says and smiles.

" um, no. This dude is most definitely not my soulmate. " I say, motioning to the blonde boy on the couch.

" okay, Max, whatever you say. " she says.

" when do you think he'll wake up? " I ask Molly Kate.

" soon. " she replies.

" what will we tell him? " I ask.

" the truth. " she says flatly.

" why aren't you doing anything? You're always say chipper. " I say.

" you think that after you die, all your problems leave you? Do you Max? Because if you do you're dead wrong. " she snaps.

" how could your still have problems? " I ask.

" I thought that if I died, I'd find my father. I didn't. And now all I have is the feeling of being a coward. " she says.

" people who kill themselves aren't cowards. " I argue.

" yes Max, they are. I thought I had nobody it turns out that a guy I liked was going to ask me out the day I....... The day I left. " she tells me. I was about to reply but before I could, a girl appears in front of me.

She has short blond hair, blue eyes, freckles, and a nice smile. She looks somewhat like the boy on the couch.

" laila...." Molly Kate says with a small smile on her face.

" Molly, why'd you call me? I was watching my mum an- oh my!! Why's Tommy on the couch asleep?" The blond girl asks.

" his name's Tommy? " I ask.

" Thomas. " blondy says.

" well, he can see me!!! " Molly Kate exclaims.

" OMG!!!!! that means he's her... "

" yup." Molly Kate smiles.

" I'm sorry, who are you? " i ask the blond, curious to know her name.

" oh, my names Laila, I'm Thomas's angel, and his mums. He hasn't seen me before because we're not supposed to show ourselves. " she says, looking at Molly Kate.

" I had to! She was going to hit me with a bat!" Molly Kate exclaims.

" why don't you pretend to be a normal girl and date him? " I ask.

" um, no. I'm his late sister. " she says.

" oh, wow, how'd you um, ya know.... "

" die? " she asks like it's normal.

" yeah. " I say and laugh nervously.

" it's fine. " she says with a small smile. " it was a car crash. Into the lake.. " she says.

" I'm sorry. " I say.

" laila?" A tired voice asks. We all turn and look at Thomas laying now awake on the couch. " why you got wings? It not yelloween..." He mumbles.

" what's wrong with him? " I ask.

" well, the sleeping powder does have some side effects.... " Molly Kate says.

" is he going to be okay? " I ask.

" I don't know! I've never done this thing before! You're the first person I've ever been an angel to! " Molly Kate yells out of fear and anxiety.

" don't panic. I've watched over him since he was twelve, I've got this. " laila says. She goes over to Thomas and plucks out one of his hairs.

" there. " she smiles.

" how'd that help? " I ask.

" the sleeping powder all goes to one strand of the person/animals hair that you are effecting. That hair goes through the scalp and connects with part of the persons brain and makes them pass out. " Laila says proudly. Thomas looks up at us. He looks at me, then Molly Kate, then Laila.

" his brain is starting to recognize people, I've got to go. " Laila says and vanishes from sight.

" Max...... " Thomas says. I walk over to him.

" c'mon Tom, we've got a lot to talk about. "

-★-

"Woah......" Thomas says after we explain everything and showed him Molly Kate's video. " so you're a real angel? " he questions.

" yup." Molly Kate answers.

" and you just walk the streets with wings? " he asks.

" well, only Max can see me, unless I'm allowing others to see me. " she says.

" are you allowing me? " he asks.

" yes." Molly Kate lies. I wonder why she doesn't tell him about that.

" Max, why don't you take Thomas home. " Molly Kate offers.

" um, I don't have a car. " I say.

" you've got legs. " she says. " it's I nice day, go walk. "

" it's freezing out there! " I argue.

" go. " she commands.

" gosh, thought you were working for me. " I mumble and walk with Thomas outside. We walk in silence and it starts to rain.

" great! Just frickin perfect! " I say. I stomp over to a bench and take cover. Thomas runs after me.

" here. " he says and takes off his jacket then wraps it around me.

" thanks. " I mumble.

" it's a beautiful day. " he laughs. " why don't you like rain? " he asks.

I look at him and take in his features. Strong cheekbones, sharp jawline, baby blue eyes, full lips, blond hair. He's beautiful.

" I love the rain. " I say.

" well then," he says and stands up. He bows and holds out his hand. " may I have this dance? " he asks in a proper voice.

" are you serious? " I ask.

" wrong answer. " he says and grabs my hand, pulling me up. I giggle and he wraps his hand around my waist and twirls me around. We dance all around the park, getting soaked. We laugh and spin. As we slowly spin I look at him with a smile on my face. Thomas looks at me in the eyes and leans in. Just then, a clap of thunder erupts, making us jump. Thomas pulls me in close and says,

" where there's thunder there's lightning. Let's go. " we run to a coffee shop close by and shut the door right as it lightnings.

Thomas Bridgewood

" hey Thomas, wake up. " max's sweet majestic voice says. I open my eyes a and look at her. No, something isn't right. There's a half empty wine glass of chocolate milk next to me and a bowl of popcorn. " you feel asleep while we were watching a movie. " she says.

Now I remember, we went to get apartment after the rain died down.

She's got striped pajama pants and a tank on. And then it hits me. We got chocolate milk and started watching a movie and I fell asleep.

" oh sorry. I'm going to go get my clothes out of the dryer. " I say and stand up, feeling awkward in the too small pair of volleyball shorts Max gave me

What's wrong with me?

I think as I walk to the dryer.

I barely know her! I grab my clothes and do to the bathroom and change.

Maxine

I wait as Thomas gets dressed and comes out.

" I'm going to go back to bed for about another hour. " I tell him and go into the bedroom. I turn on the light and nearly scream when I see a melancholy looking Molly Kate on the bed.

" what the frack?!? You nearly gave me a heart attack! " I say. tears fill Molly Kate's eyes and I rush over to her.

" Molly Kate, what's wrong? " I ask.

" when you were out, I went to see a glimpse into your future and Thomas h-he, I'm so sorry! " she cries. Sobs shake her body and I pull her into a hug.

" what happened? " I ask.

" I can't tell you exactly but all I can say is, you have two months until it happens. " she says.

" is it that bad? " I ask in fear.

" I'm sorry. " she whispers again.

------

Molly Kate Anderson, 1998

When does this pain end? I ask myself as I walk home. Mum will be furious to find out that I got into another fight. Lindsay deserved it though! She always beats me up, today I just fought back.

I pull my my hood over my head and run across the street and to my home. I open the creaky door to my home and tried to sneak in quietly. Key word: tried. It hurts, bad. She hits me, kicks me, burns me. It's living hell. And then she throws an empty beer bottle at me and commands me to go in my room.

I limp to the closet. Yeah, my room is literally a closet. Friking Harry potter crap if you ask me. Rain drops furiously outside as I lay on the mattress that is set atop the dusty ground. I think of all I go through. Is it really worth it? I've tried running away, over and over.

But it never works. I eye the paper in the corner on my room that is set next to my camera that I got from the garbage. Maybe there's another way to escape..... It's as if my body controlled itself. In seconds, I'm writing on the paper and the next thing I know I'm putting them into envelopes.

" one for mum, one for dad........ One for everyone from school..... Goodbye. " I want this to be more than just a normal suicide. I've got an idea! Quickly, I grab my camera and climb out my window.

----

The rain has stopped and the wind has now taken over. I look at the ledge not with fear, but with curiosity. I press record, take off my jacket, and stand up on the ledge of the bridge. I look straight into the camera and say everything.

Everything.

All these things have happened and then i talk about how it all led me to drugs, alcohol, cutting, burning myself, beating myself, becoming bulimic.... I've been pushed and pushed and pushed. And now I'm being pushed all the way over. But, all angels can fly right?

" All angels can fly. " I whisper then jump and the camera set time is up. And I'm not flying.

I'm not flying.

I'm not flying. I try to register it but it's like it's a dream.

I'm not flying.

I'm no- I'm dead. My body hits the water below and I watch. I watch. I'm watching from the sky as I drift up. No, I'm not watching, my soul is watching. I'm dead. I'm dead.

Molly Kate Anderson, 2015

It's been a month since I went to see the future person. A whole month. Thomas and Max haven't talked and it feels as if things are getting darker. I have to struggle so hard to see the light in the world. So right now, I'm going on a field trip.

I'm going home. It's pouring rain just like that day. I've already teleported to Birmingham, London. Now I'm walking.

" Baby cakes, it isn't safe to wonder by yourself." I jump.

" Antonio, what are you doing here? " I ask and put my hand over where my heart would be. Antonio Ramirez has appeared next to me. He's an angel, but he tells the future.

" I just wanted to know if you'd made up your mind yet. " he says with a cheeky grin.

" um, yeah, and its still no. " I laugh and shove my hands into my peacoat jacket. Okay, not mine, Max's. What Antonio is talking about is my first day I walked around heaven. It went a little bit like this;

I wake up and I'm sitting on a comfortable bed. " ah, you're awake. Welcome to heaven!" A lady beams at me. I smile. I freaking smile.

" Ello. " I say and stand. Large, beautiful wings are hanging from my back. This is too normal. So they showed me around and everything and now we're at the future center. The future center is where you can see the future. You didn't see that coming, did ya? Anyway, I walk over to the desk and there is the c***y beast, Antonio.

" woah woah woah sugercake. Where is a lovely thing like you goin?" He asks. I give him a smile.

" away. "

" ooh, got a little feisty one here now don't we? Why don't you give yourself the pleasure of letting me take you out on a date? " he asks and winks.

" ha, in your dreams. " I laugh. I'm so comfortable here.

" you, baby cake, you is already in my dreams. Okay, how about you think about it and give me your answer? " he asks.

" okay, it's a deal. " I say and smirk then walk away.

" why is it no? " he asks, his Hispanic accent making me melt. His green eyes look at me under his dark black gelled hair.

" because, I've got Max to take care of. " I say and lean against the wall in the ally. This ally leads to my house, I'm scared to see it.

" so? I love you Molly Kate, you hear that? I love you! " he shouts.

" I don't deserve love. " I whisper. Antonio puts his hands on my waist and whispers.

" you deserve even more. " a slow tear trickles down my cheek.

" come on my love, let's go to your home. " he says and laces his fingers in mine. I lean my head on his shoulder as we walk. I see the house. All the pain comes back and I scream.

" Molly Kate! " Antonio yells out. I fall to the ground and cover my head with my hands. I rock slowly as I scream.

" go away! Don't hurt me! Daddy!!! " strong arms wrap around me and rock with me until I calm down.

" I'm here for you Molly Kate. I'll always be here for you. " Antonio whispers. I cry into his shoulder.

" do you have to go? " I ask.

" as long as I'm with you, I don't have to go anywhere. "

Maxine

I turn my phone on again to see if anyone has text me. Nope, nobody. My phone dings and I practically leap off the chair I'm sitting in. It's a YouTube notification. I look around and sigh, the small breath echoes around the empty apartment. Yup, I am officially moved into Australia.

There's a knock on the door and I run to it not so gracefully. I end up tripping on a box and falling face first into the floor. After standing up and cursing, I walk to the door and open it.

" um, are you okay? " a voice asks. I look up and nearly faint. Blazing green eyes, soft but sharp facial features, dark brown hair. Woah. My mouth hangs open and he giggles. " I live next door. I think this package is for you." He says and hands me a  manilla package.

My shaky hands take it and put it on a box next to me. " I'm Matthew, it's nice to meet you. " he smiles and holds out his hand. I close my mouth and shake his hand. " well, welcome to the..... Apartment complex! I'm sure you'll be a great neighbor." He smiles and walks off. " oh wait! " he turn around. " I never caught your name. "

" oh well, you should've gotten a better net! No, that was a dumb joke. It's Max. Just plain ol Max. " I say. Did I seriously just say that? Oh God, just kill me now.

" oh, that's a beautiful name. I hope to see you again, Max. " he says. I nod and close the door. I so just blew that. A hot guy comes to my door and I blow it! Woah, not that way. I so do not belong here. I guess I'll start looking for jobs or something.

Molly Kate Anderson

I've calmed down and now me and Antonio are eating some chips. Those are called french fries in America I believe, right? Anyway, I continue to dip my chips into ketchup.

" Are you sure that it'll actually happen to Thomas?" I ask Antonio.

" yes, it's a definite." He says sadly.

" so then, Max is just never going to have a soulmate? That's not right. " I point out.

" Thomas might not be her soulmate though. " he says. I stop my eating.

" what are you trying to say? " I ask skeptically.

" Thomas might be a reader!! " Antonio exclaims in excitement.

" a what? " I ask.

" A reader. A person that can see angels. I think that's what they're called. Anyway, just a second. I've got a book somewhere.  ....... Ah, ha! I've got it. Yes, see here. ' a reader, also known as a person that can see angels. Even when that angel is not allowing so.'" He reads from a book that he pulled from his jacket.

" you're brilliant! " I exclaim. But my joy soon turns to sadness. " but that doesn't stop Thomas's fate. " I sigh. Antonio's eyes blaze and he looks at me in sorrow.

" and that fate has just been fulfilled." He tells me. Tears go to my eyes and I cover my mouth.

" I thought you said two months! " I yell.

" I thought so but I  guess I was wrong." Antonio says.

" I need to get to Max! " I say. I jump out of my seat and transform. My wings spread and I look at Antonio. " are you going to be okay? " I ask.

" yes, now go. " he tells me.

" Antonio, " I say and take a step towards him.

" no, go! Max will find out in about twenty minutes! " he yells. I look up to the sky and with that, I vanish.

Maxine

Well, I could work at a cupcake store until my writing takes off.... I think to myself. If my writing takes off.. I sigh and stand from the kitchen table then go to the coffee pot. My phone rings and I run to it. " hello?" I answer.

" is this Maxine? " a soft voice asks.

" yes, who is this? " I ask and grab an apple and lean against the counter.

" I'm sorry to tell you this. But Thomas...... He said he wanted you to know.... He killed himself around twenty minutes ago. " the apple drops from my hand and so does the phone. I wasn't close to him. We shared one special moment. Then why do I feel like somebody hurt me? Oh yeah, maybe it's because every time a person comes close to caring about me, something happens.

My mom and dad hate me, my best friend Abby killed herself, and now Thomas....... I felt calm around him. Why did this happen? If I would of noticed how his face looked pained when he smiled, or how broken his eyes were. Or maybe his covered arms.......

I look down at my own fading scars. Ever since I met Molly Kate, I hadn't cut myself. But now...... The door slams open and Molly Kate runs in, soaked from head to toe.

" Max... " she says and runs to me. I can't talk, I barely move. I just stand there, letting Molly Kate hug me. I don't even hug back. She looks at me and in my eyes. I look at her eyes, her broken eyes. " I'm sorry. " she says. I'm not mad. I'm not anything. And that's that, all I'll ever be is nothing. I look over her shoulder and gaze with no emotion at the manilla package.

I'd actually forgotten about it because I was so occupied from my conversation with my new neighbor. Molly Kate hugs me tighter and I push her off and walk to the package. I then tear the thing open with my teeth and pull out a leather journal, a letter, and a necklace. First, I open the journal, the smell of fresh parchment fills my nostrils. Written in neat handwriting on the first page is:

Max's words

I put that down and unfold the letter. In the same handwriting it reads:

Hello Maxine, I'm writing to you from my room but as you read this I'm probably watching you from heaven. You may be wondering why I wrote to you. We only knew each other for about one day. But I don't know, it's like I had a connection with you. Use the journal to write. Don't ask how I know it but I do; you are going to be an amazing author. About the necklace, appreciate it's beauty but value it's insides, like you. That's really all I have to say. Oh, but Maxine. You are an angel, but please don't test if you can fly. Take care of my mum would you? And Kian. Also, talk to my cousin Matthew. Or have you met him already? I have I feeling that you have...... Anyway, thank you Max. I don't know why, but thank you. By the way, were you ever going to tell me that you met my sister?

Thomas

Wow. “How did he know some of those things. And what does he mean by appreciate the beauty but value the inside?" I ask Molly Kate. " let me see the necklace." She says. I hand her the delicate jewel. It's got soft colors on the outside. Molly Kate opens it and takes out a small piece of paper. I look at it and smile. It's a receipt from the cafe we went to. I turn and look on the back and gasp. On the back is a lovely drawn picture of me in blue pen.  Absolutely lovely. Goodbye Tommy.

Maxine

I slip on my skinny jeans, buckle my shiny belt, and pull over my pink striped referee shirt. I then put my long blond hair info a high pony tail and put on the pink visor hat that has a bowling ball on it. I look straight into the mirror and look sternly at my reflection.

" okay, this is a big thing. Your first job in Australia. You need it to get money while your writing career takes off. Got it? " I ask myself. " Now, to sneak past Molly Kate. " I say. I put on my shoes and tip toe to the front door.

" Max? " Molly Kate asks from the living room. Crap. I turn around and fake a smile. " where are you going? " she asks.

" um, well, you see, I got a job..." I say.

" oh, I'll come with you! " she says excitedly.

" um, well you see Molly Kate, I really want to do this on my own.... " I say. Her face falls in disappointment.

" okay, I see." She says.

" Thanks for understanding. " I say and walk out of the apartment. Not that I don't like Molly Kate, but ever since Thomas died last week, she's been following me everywhere. I mean, I get that it's sad and all but come on, I wasn't even close to him. She acts like it hurt me big time. Nope, I've gone through worse.

I still have his necklace though, and the picture on the receipt. Right now, I'm going to my first day at my new job. I got interviewed two days ago and they called saying that I got the job. They pay good in Australia so that's like a super bonus. The job is at a bowling place and they have pizza so that's nice. I walk down the thirty fights of stairs, ( the elevator is broken ) and into the lobby. I go outside and hop on a bus. Here we go.

******

The smell of pizza and the sound of laughing greet me as I walk into the bowling arena. Ted, the owner, told me that as soon as I get here to start working behind the register. I put my bag down and write my name on a tag then put it on. It reads:

Hey, I'm Max!

A door opens behind me and I turn to see a handsome face walk out of a room labeled: manager. I look at his tag that says:

Sup, I'm Kian.

Kian, as in who Thomas mentioned? He has blond hair that is hidden under a beanie and he wears the same thing I do but instead of being pink, his outfit is red.

" Are you Max?" He asks. His voice takes me back. It's hoarse, as if from crying. He's muscular and about three inches taller than me. His eyes look red and there's dark circles under them. I realize that I haven't answered him yet.

" yes, that's what the tag says. " I say. He gives me a weak smile and I return with my own broken one.

Kian Lawrence

I walk out of Ted's office after I stopped crying. I know, a manly man like me crying. I just miss Thomas so much. I didn't even get to see him before he died. I close the door and look at a girl behind the counter that's looking at me.

" Are you Max? " I ask, not expecting my voice to be so hoarse. She looks me up and down and if it weren't for me being so depressed right now, I'd have smirked. c***y donkey, that's what Thomas would call me.

" yes, that's what the tag says. " she replies smartly. I give her the best smile I could muster up. I'm not line Thomas was, I'm not depressed, I don't want to die, I'm nothing near that. But now that he's gone, it's harder to even remember who I was a week ago. She returns my weak smile with a broken one. If I hadn't been trained to tell a real smoke from a fake, I would have been fooled.

It's as if she has used this smile over and over again. I take in her blond hair, her sad eyes, her broken smile, her fragile body, and the necklace that hangs around her neck. And here's where the real me kicks in. I also look at how her white belt hangs on her hips in a cute way, or how her blond hair slightly falls from its pony tail, or the way she's biting her lip in a nervous way that's completely adorable. This is the girl that Thomas wrote about in his suicide letter.

He was right, she is hot. I hold out my hand, " I'm Kian." I say. She takes my hand and I notice fading scars running down her arm. " do you want to take a lunch break to get to know each other?" I ask.

" it's not even lunch yet. And I just got here. " she says and let's go of my hand.

" Oh come on cute stuff, live a little." I say and loop my finger through over of her belt hoops.

" fine. " she sighs. We walk over to the food area and I get us a pizza and we go in the break room. " yes! I love pizza!! " she says as we sit down at the table. I laugh a little.

" well, I bet I love it even more. " I challenge.

" psh, doubt it. " she says and rolls her eyes.

" really? You wanna bet? " I ask.

" you're on. " she smiles.

" okay, if I can eat six pieces faster than you, I get to take you on a date. " I say.

" and if I win, which I will, you have to dress in a thong and sing songs while going up to strangers and kissing them. " she says.

" oh, it's so on. " I cut the pizza and put six pieces on her plate, and six on mine. " ready, set, go! " I say. I take a bite of my pizza and see that she's already done with 3/4 of one of hers. I've got to step up. Soon I've eaten five and so has she. There's one bite on each of ours.

" FINISHED!!!!!!!" I scream.

" no! " she whines.

" I win. I'll pick you up at eight princess. " I smile.

" Kian! Max! Get to work! " Ted yells. We laugh and get to work.

" fine, I can't wait, charming." She says. I watch her as she walks back to the counter and i know that meeting her means that Thomas is alright, it means that I'm going to be alright.

Max

" hello." I say to a group of teenagers waking In. The group consists of five people. The boy and the girl in the back shove and laugh with each other and flirt while the couple in front get shoes. A boy stands next to them looking around with his hands shoved into an oversized jacket. They all get their shoes and walk away, all but the boy. " um, I think your group left. " I say awkwardly to him.

" oh, yeah, I know. I just needed to know where the restrooms are. " he says.

" oh, yeah, over there." I point. He nods and walks to the restroom right as Kian comes out. Kian looks at the boy and walks away, towards me. " meet me at the docks at seven. " he says. I smile and turn back around. " Hi, " I say to new people that come in.

---------

" Molly Kate? Do I look okay? " I asks as I look in the full length mirror. I'm wearing white skinny jeans and a long sleeved white shirt with sparkles on it. Molly Kate walks into the living room and smiles at me.

" you look lovely. " she says. I turn and look at her.

"Is that my robe?" I ask with a hand over my heart.

" maybe... " she laughs.

" how dare you!" I gasp. We laugh and I pull her into a hug.

" you better get going... Kian will be waiting. " she says.

" wait, he do you know about that? I haven't told you yet. " I say, downing my eyebrows at her.

" oh, uh, yeah you did." She says. I just shrug and walk over my my purse.

" are you going to be okay by your self? " I ask as I check for gum, perfume, phone, lip gloss, and a book just in case.

" yeah yeah, you should go. " she says.

" Molly Kate, what are you hiding? " I ask.

" nothing nothing, go, he'll be waiting." She says, making a shoo movement with her hands. I laugh and walk out the door.

" bye Molly Kate! " I call right as the door closes.

* At the docks *

I get to the docks and am shocked when I see that they're empty. I see a light at the end of the dock and run towards it, seeing as I'm late. I come up to a table with a white table cloth on it and pizza box.

" you're late. " Kian says but with a smile.

I look at him and grin, " you did ask this? " I ask.

" yeah, just got a sheet and ordered pizza. " he shrugged. " but we need to talk. " he sighs. He pulls out the chair for me and I sit down, he sits after.

" Is everything okay? " I ask.

" okay. " he laughs with no humor. " his favorite word. " her mumbles to himself. " look, I am not a serious guy. I only get serious on, well, serious occasions. " he tells.

" you can tell me what's wrong. " I say. He twirls a lip ring I never knew was there.

" you're her. I know it. " he says.

" her? " I ask. " I don't understand."

" you're the Max he wrote about. "

my mouth drops open and I smile. " yes! You are the Kian!" I smile widely.

" okay, thank the lord. I thought you might not be the right one and you would think I was crazy. " he says relieved.

" yeah, then I'd tell all the girls and they'd never date you."

" oh, I don't like girls. " he says and grabs a pizza.

" what? " I ask.

" I'm gay. " he shrugs, taking a bite.

" awesome. " I smile.

he looks at me, " why is that awesome? " he asks.

" I thought I'd have to date you. " I fake a sigh of relief.

" whatever! I'm the bomb.com!" He says, throwing a pepperoni at me. I squeal and throw one back. " come on. " he says, standing and holding out his hand. I take it and follow him to the edge of the dock. He takes his shoes off and puts his legs in the water then lays down on the dock. I roll my jeans up and take off my heels and do what he did. We look up at the stars.

" I never thought I'd be here. " I whisper.

" what do you mean? " he asks. I keep staring at the stars.

" I never thought I'd be in Australia looking at the most beautiful stars in the world."

" how'd you know him? " he whispers.

" I met him at a store. Then I moved here and we meet again. We had one night that was magical. " I sigh.

" he was my best friend. " Kian whispers.

" I'm sorry. " I say. We sit in silence for awhile. " they're beautiful, aren't they? " I say, gazing at the stars.

" yeah. "

" I bet one of them is Thomas. "

*************************************************

Molly Kate Anderson

I walk out to the balcony and look out at the ocean. Arms wrap around my waist from behind me and I smile softly.

" hello princess." Antonio whispers right next to my ear. I turn and lean against the railing, wrapping my arms around his neck. Every night for the past week, me and Antonio go to different parts of the world. He really wants me to go to my old house, I don't think I can handle that yet though. We haven't kissed or anything like that- no. But each night when he leaves, I feel more and more....... In love. And every night he asks the same thing, if I'll go out with him. Tonight, I might say yes.

" hey... " I whisper.

" are you ready? " he asks. I nod. He takes my hand and pulls me to his chest, in an instant, we're gone.

*

My feet land and I open my eyes and look around before I realize where we are. I gasp and cling onto Antonio.

" get me out of here! " I scream, my feet trying to get away from the railing. His strong arms wrap around my torso.

" Molly Kate,  you need to see this, please. " he says. We're at the bridge, the bridge I jumped off of in 1998. I look down and tears fill my eyes. Laying right in front of me is a cross, it reads:

In memory of Molly Kate Anderson

The cross has things written with sharpie like, ' finally, you took my advice' and other vulgar things.

" this is awful. They were happy I died! " I cry.

" look. " he says. Taped to the cross is a letter that looks freshly written. I grab it and begin to read.

To my sweet girl.

I am so sorry baby, for everything. I was terrible to you. I know you hate me. I drank my sorrows away and abused you. I love you though. So much. I write to you every week, hoping to get an answer. I'm sober now. I went back to school and am a psychologist and work with depressed teenagers and child abuse issues. Ironic huh?

I'm sorry baby...
I still live in our house....

- mom

By now, tears are rushing down my face.

" come on. " Antonio whispers, transporting us to a new place. I lay down on soft grass and hold the letter to my chest and look up at the stars. I feel Antonio lay next to me. " Molly Kate, look at me. " Antonio says. I look over at him and gaze into his lovely eyes. " I love you Molly Kate. " he whispers.

I cup his cheek and lean in. Our lips connect and fire shoots through me. His We release the kiss and look up at the stars.

" I love you too Antonio. "

Max

I shoot up in my bed gasping and crying. It had been so long since I've gone through this. I cry harder and desperately try to breathe. I finally manage to go to the bathroom and grab my bottle of anxiety pills. It'll be fine for now but it will come back. I lean against the wall after taking the pills and slide down onto the floor.

My crying hasn't stopped and it won't for a while. At times like this, a mother would be nice. But my mom is in Texas, not at all caring about me. My dad never cared about me. My best friend is dead and Molly Kate...... I don't know. I'm alone in this world. I sniff and stand up, grabbing a razor from the shower and walking into the kitchen to get a screw driver.

I finally get the blades out of it and run back to my room. I don't get why I go back in here-Molly Kate hasn't even come home yet-I guess I'm just used to doing it this way. I lift my arm and slide the blade across my my arm and wince. Again. Again. After three I get used to the pain. I cut more until I suddenly realize how much blood is running down my arm. I run into the bathroom and hold my arm under running water.

I had exactly 22 cuts on my arm. I fall to the ground crying and just stay there. I want to stay here and die. My phone begins to blare from my room and I groan. I guess the universe has other plans. I stand and stumble in my room and grab my phone, flopping down onto my bed.

" hello? " I answer, drying my tears.

" I'm sorry if I woke you. I just wanted to say that I might not be home until......... Later. " Molly Kate says. I sigh and tears fall down my face. I guess I am alone after all.
" okay. " is all I say.

" oops, I've got to go!" She says and hangs up. I look at the time, 5 AM, it would be 10AM in Texas. A knock on my door sounds and I jump. Who the frack is knocking on my door at five in the morning? I ask myself but still go to the door. I open it and gasp when I see Matthew standing there. His brown hair is sticking up everywhere, his eyes half closed, his lips puffy. He wears a blue tank top that shows off biceps, and boxers.

" Matthew? " I ask.

" I know it's early and we don't know each other and all but.... Can I sleep here? My apartment had a leakage and I'm not allowed to sleep there. " he says with a husky morning voice. I swear I nearly melted. Stop having thoughts like this Max, nobody would care about you. I listen to my mind and let him inside. " Thanks, I'm sorry if I woke you up. " he says.

" no, it's fine. I was already awake. " I sigh.

" well, thank you still. I'll just sleep now. " he says and lays on the couch.

" I'll be in the kitchen or my room if you wake up. " I say.

" thank you." He mumbles. I nod and walk back to my room. Worthless. My mind sneers. I frown and walk to my bed and fall down on it. As I stare at the ceiling, I don't hold back my thoughts. I just let them flow.

I wake up, gasping and crying. I wrap my arms around my legs and cry.

" Max?" A deep voice asks from the door way. I peek over my arms to look who is talking and see Matthew standing at the doorway. " Max, are you okay? " he asks, taking a step forward warily. I wipe my tears and nod my head.

" Y-yeah, I'm fine. I just.... I just miss home. " I lie.

" Okay, well, I was just going to tell you thank you. Not many people would let a person they hardly know sleep in their houses. " He laughs an adorable giggly laugh.

" You could say I'm not like many people. " I say.

" yeah. Not in a bad way. More like in a brilliant way.. " he licks his lips. " I'll be going. " he says.

" Your apartment is safe to go into? " I ask.

" No, it won't be for about a week. " he sighs.

" where will you stay then? " I question.

" I'm not sure. " he shrugs. " life's more fun when it's a surprise though. " he smiles. I give a weak grin in return.

" you can stay here, if you'd like. " I say and shyly look down.

" That's very nice of you Max. But I wouldn't want to bother you. " he says.

" No, you wouldn't be bothering me at all. " I say. Give it up Max, he's trying to get away from you. I sigh.

" well, in that case.... I'd love to stay. " he smiles. I grin but it soon turns to a frown.

" don't you need some clothes?" I ask. He looks down and blushes lightly. Woah, his cheekbones are nice......

" yeah, I guess I do. " he says.

" I can help. I have a friend who might lend you some." I say.

" really? That'd be great Max! " he says and smiles. He is a very happy person for goodness sake. He could get happy about an ant biting him saying that it kissed him. I wished I was like him. " okay, I'll call him now. " I say and grab my phone, dialing Kian's number.

" do you know what time it is? It's like.... Nine! And I don't have to work. You-"

" I need some of your clothes." I say bluntly.

" Excuse me, what? " he asks.

" look, it's a longish story so just come here and bring some clothes. I'll text you my address. " I say.

" okay, bye. "

" bye. " I look up at Matthew and stand from my bed, walking to the kitchen. Thank God I didn't wear my batman pajamas last night. Well, at least not the pants. I decided with black yoga pants and the Batman spaghetti strap. It's loose, not tight. " Do you need anything? I can make Roman noodles, I have a waffle maker, ooh, and I'm mastering the skill of macaroni. " I smile.

" Well, I make a pretty mean bowl of cereal so, yeah. " he laughs.

" that it is. " I say and reach up to open the cabinet.

" Are you okay?" He asks suddenly, running over to me and grabbing my arm. I pull it away from him

" yeah, I'm fine. I just accidentally cut myself while doing dishes. " I lie.

" Well, okay. If you say so. " he says.

About twenty minutes later we are both washing our bowls out on the sink. I walk over to the couch and sit. Right as my bum comes in contact with the cushion, the doorbell rings and I stand back up. I open the door to reveal a very tired Kian.

" This better be good. " he says.

" oh, it is. Just try not to flirt." I say.

" flirt? Why would I....holy cow he's bloody gorgeous. " Kian says, seeing Matthew sit down on a stool at the kitchen island.

" why does he need clothes? What'd you two do last night? " he asks. I smack him on the arm.

" he just needs some clothes. " I say. Kian smirks and walks over to Matthew. I roll my eyes and close the door, walking after him. " Matthew, this is Kian. He's nobody. But he has clothes for you. " I say. Kian hands Matthew a bag of clothes.

" thank you so much! I'm going to be so late. " Matthew says. " may I use your restroom? " he asks.

" yeah. " I say. He smiles and runs off to my room.

" can I just say it. I'm gonna say it. Damn. Cheekbones, jaw line, dimples, everything. He's lovely. " Kian sighs dreamily.

" he's okay. " I mumble.

" you like him, don't you? " Kian asks.

" no, I've never liked anybody more than a friend. Not even.... Anyway, no, I don't. " I say and walk to the kitchen, sitting down on a stool.
" seriously? You've never had a crush?" He asks.

" on fictional characters, yes. Real boys, no. " I say.

" oh, you so have a crush on him! " he squeals.

" shhh! He'll hear you. " I say.

" nah. You so like him. " he smiles.

" okay, maybe I do. I little. " I say.

" You know, I think Thomas has a cousin named Matthew... " Kian says.

My room door opens and Matthew walks out wearing a California pink muscle shirt and blue shorts.

" great taste mate." He says to Kian.

" I've really got to go though. Max, is it okay if I give you my number? You know, so you know when I'm coming home." He asks.

" yeah, totally. " he takes a pen and paper from the coffee table and writes down his number.

" bye! " he calls, walking out of the door.

" okay, you need to explain to me why he's here. " Kian says, crossing his arms over his chest.

" fine. I will if you take me out to brunch." I say innocently.

" fine.." He sighs.

" yay! Let me go get dressed. "

********

" you're so lucky that he got pushed out of his home. " Kian pouts as we sit outside of a cafe, drinking coffee.

" yeah, well-"

" Matthew!! You made it! I thought you weren't going to come!" We hear a lady squeal. We turn to see a woman running and hugging- Matthew? It's as if a large hand punched me in the heart. But why? I don't even know this woman. But it hurts to see her hugging him.

" Kian, why does my chest hurt?" I ask. I've gotten this feeling when mom and dad never came looking for me. I've gotten it when I left home. I got this feeling when Jamie, my best friend, killed herself.

" it's called a crush for a reason babe, " he says with sad eyes. " they always crush you. " I told you Max, you're just not worth it.

Max

" Sorry, again. " Kian says after our walk back to my apartment.

" oh, it's fine. I've only known him for a while. I hardly know anything about him. I barely even liked him. " I shrug. It's not good to lie, Max. Shut up.

" I'll see you tomorrow. " he says.

" okay. " I unlock my door and walk in the apartment. I take a step forward and scream when two bodies pop into the room.

" Max!! " Molly Kate squeals. Ugh, again with the squealing.

" Hey. " I mumble.

" what's wrong? " she asks. And that's when all my anger I've had bottled up is released. But I'm not just angry at her. I'm angry at everything. I'm angry.

" what's wrong? Do you want to know ' what's wrong' , Molly Kate? Do ya? Cause I'm not going to just stand here and say I'm fine. Because I'm not fine! Not at all. And you, not coming home for two days. You're supposed to be my freaking angel for goodness sakes! " I scream.

" I thought you were okay.. " she says.

" okay? You thought I was okay? I'm no where near okay. I live in the most gorgeous place ever, but I don't fit in here. I have an amazing new friend named Kian, that I only know because a guy I thought I had a chance with killed himself! I had a crush for the first time but you weren't there, and I got hurt. My mom and dad, I want them. I'm depressed. And it freaking sucks. I didn't choose it and all I want in life is to be happy! That's all I want. Pills don't help. I'm tired of pills. I'm tired of panic attacks, starving myself, and hurting myself. I'm just tired. " I finish. Molly Kate's mouth is open and she has tears in her eyes.

A body walks from behind her and stands beside her. I start to walk away to my room but Molly Kate's hand stops me.

" here. " she hands me a white envelope. I don't even look at her but run to my room. I open the envelope and sit on my bed.

Dear Max, it says in neat handwriting.

Thomas is okay, I want to tell you that. He had been in the process of becoming an angel, and he hasn't waken up. Anyway, he's okay. I am both melancholy and joyed about what has happened. Of course I was hoping I would see him later then this. Much later. But now I get to be with my little brother! It's so wonderful. Seeing his arm completely healed. I want you to know, he doesn't want to see you in a long time. You know what that means, don't you Maxine?

Sincerely, Laila Bridgewood

Weirdly, I wear a smile. Thomas is okay. And I like Laila, so it's nice to hear from her. I bring out the piece of paper with Matthew's number on it from my pocket. Should I call him? It's late.. I hope he's okay... You dumbutt, he's got a girlfriend! I sigh. I'm going to do it. Excuse me? You shut it. I don't have anything to lose. I grab my phone and enter his number, pressing call.

" Jello? " he answers. For the first time today, I laugh.

" I was just calling to ask when you were coming home. You know, so my roommate doesn't freak." I lie. How many times have i lied today?

" Oh yeah, i'm coming. I'll be there soon. " he says.

" okay. " I say.

" bye. "

" bye " I sigh and hang up.

Laila Bridgewood

I never thought the world was bad. I only saw the good. No matter what. But when I found out about Thomas being depressed, I noticed that not all people saw the world I did. I tried, so hard, to make him happy. I didn't understand. How could somebody not see the wonderful things the world holds? When I died, I thought I would understand. I didn't. When I watched Thomas die, I finally thought I understood.

Depression is more than being sad. It's deeper. I look at my brother laying on the bed, no scars, it makes me happy and upset. I'm happy to talk to him, but he's dead. He'll never get married, he won't experience the new things in life. It must be killing Kian. They were friends since practically birth. And that girl Max, she's going to keep thinking that she can't be happy because every time she gets a chance to, it's gone. Thomas stirs in his unconscious state and I smile.

" I've got to go, I'm going to go see mum. But don't you worry, I'll be back. Hopefully you'll be awake by then. " I say to him and stand, spreading my large wings out and leaving the area. Thomas hasn't woken yet since he's got here. He's still coming through. It takes about a month for somebody to fully become an angel. Once and a while he'll mumble something about a penguin. He hates penguins.

I haven't had the courage to see mum, I'm scared of what she'll look like. I know when I died, she didn't cry. She hardly ever cries. She just went blank, didn't speak, just acted like a zombie. As I land gracefully on the ground in front of the small home, I realize how nervous I am. Maybe I should show myself...... No, I can't. That'd break her down even more. I go into the house. There's mum, sitting at the table, a picture in one hand and coffee in the other. No lights on, just the natural sun shining in. I walk around behind her to look at the picture. It's a photo of me and Thomas.

" Laila?" She asks as I place my hand on her shoulder. How can she see me? I'm not showing myself. A person can only see an angel if A) the angel shows themselves, B) the angel is the angel of that person's soulmate, or C) that person is a reader. Thomas is a reader... Molly Kate told me. Maybe mum is too!!

" yeah mum, it's me. " 

Max

I'm sitting in a room, it's dimly lit. There's nothing else in the room but a large black box. It's got chains over it and it's sealed tight. For some reason, I'm afraid of this box. It's huge, much larger than me. Yet I'm curious as to what's in it. I move closer to it. Smoke leaks from it and touches me and I scream. Terrible thoughts fill my head. I cower into the corner of the room and never go near the box again.

I wake up from the dream, surprisingly not crying. But I am covered in sweat. I'm not meant to be here. I was a mistake. It's like I don't have control over myself anymore, my body tells me what to do. And right now, it's telling me to die.

I stand from the bed and open my door. I don't even know what today is. I know I've passed Christmas, and new years. That's how pathetic my life is.

Molly Kate is gone along with her friend. I'm alone. But I'm not going to hang myself for somebody to walk in and pretend to care. And I'm not going to take the simple route and swallow a handful of pills.

But maybe if I'm meant to live I'll fly. I've always wanted to fly. Maybe All Angels can fly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I never paid much attention to the sky, but looking at it now, i can see how lovely it really is. My toes inch closer to the edge. No tears fall, my shoes are off, my hair blows in the wind.

" Molly Kate, you tried but I'm not meant to be here. "

I take a deep breath and give a weak smile, " All Angels Can Fly. "

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Molly Kate Anderson

Antonio takes my hand and smiles. We went to the alley way that leads to my house. Well, my mother's house. I lean against the wall and he grins. " I hope she's okay, maybe we should go back.." I say, biting my lip.

" no...I bet she's fine. Now come on babe-" he grabs my waist and pulls me close. I hold up a hand and push him back.

" what do you think you are doing? " I ask.

" come on babe, don't be such a wimp."

My mouth falls open and I glare at him. " I reckon this is how you treat all your girlfriends. You make them think you are sweet, nice, loving, but really you're just a pig! " I say.

He laughs, a cruel laugh. " oh Molly Kate, you really think I care about you? I'm a heartbroken angel, I died from betrayal. Now my purpose is to hurt people like you. You have nothing, not even your precious Max since you didn't finish helping her. She's going to die, you can't stop it. " he spits.

I feel like crying. But then something in me changes, and I smile. " you are wrong. Max is not dead, and she never needed me. I've done my part, and it wasn't me who was meant to save her. It was Matthew. You thought you could break me but really you helped me see that I've done everything I need to do. So really, thank you Antonio. " I laugh. " Thank you! "

I wish I could take his expression and permanently glue it to his stupid face because it was absolutely perfect. I smile and turn, letting my wings spread out behind me.

" where are you going? " he asks. " to Max? "

I grin, " no, she's with her savior. I'm going to go see my mum."

I take a deep breath and knock on the door. Memories of the glass hitting me and all the slaps. Going to school and saying that I fell but really it was her. She hurt me. I'm not sure if I'm ready to forgive her.

The door opens and I release my shield. Her face, still beautiful, is now aged. Her once cold eyes are now soft and they fill with tears. My mum looks at me as if I'm not really here. And then she does something she's never done to me, she gives me a hug.

" Molly Kate. " she says. My body goes ridged and I stand still. " Molly? " she asks, looking at me. I look down at her small frame and then look into the house. It looks the same, but cleaner. No glass on the ground, no broken items, no signs of torture.

But I can still see it. Every time I close my eyes.

" Molly Kate say something. " she cries.

" I came here to see you, to forgive you. " is all I say.

" and do you forgive me? "

" no. "

Her face falls and her arms drop from my shoulders. I turn my body and walk away. I've done my part. I am truly done.

Max

Is this what it's like looking into the eyes of death? They're beautiful. Death has brown hair and strong arms and looks a lot like.... Matthew. Hmm.
Wait, Matthew?

My eyes fully open and look around. My body is being pulled up. I jumped, but I never got the chance to fall. I look up at Matthew again, his eyes full of worry. And then I begin to cry.

" hey hey, shhhh. It's going to be okay. I reckon we'll be just fine. " he soothes.

I cry into his shirt and inhale his scent. " Matthew? " I whisper.

" yeah? "

" Maybe not all angels can fly." I say quietly, and fall into a world of darkness.

Max

Two years later

Love was a word I didn't know. I mean, I never really loved anybody. Not my parents, my self, my ex, nobody. But after that day I tried to fly, I found what that word really meant.

“ What about.... This one?? " Kian asks as we look through my closet for an outfit. Tonight was date night. But I had no clue what to wear.

“ are you serious? I haven't worn that in ages. ” I laugh and cringe at the bright purple dress that I wore to my first date with Matthew. The spaghetti stain is still splattered across the front.

“ hmmm, what about this? " he asks, taking out a long blue dress.

" yuck, no, graduation day. " I shiver.

" ugh, I knew you wouldn't have anything good. That's why I,  the genius, brought back up. " he smiles and walks to his purse ( don't judge). I gasp as he pulls out a beautiful sleeveless coral pink dress. High cut skirt in the front, low in the back.

" Kian it's so pretty! " I say.

" yeah, Zane helped pick it out. " he smiles.

“ oh, Zane. " I smirk.

" shut up. " he says but he still smiles.

Zane is the boy with the big jacket and blue eyes I met two years ago at the bowling alley. And Kian is head over heels for him.

" How are you guys? " I ask.

" what do you mean?" He questions.

I roll my eyes and walk into my closet, starting to undress.

" you know what I mean. " I say. " have you told him you like him yet?"

" no. I don't think he'll like me back. "

" oh come on  Kian! You're perfect for each other. " I say.

" I don't know.. "

" how do I look? " I ask, coming out fully dressed.

His eyes widen and he smiles, " if I was straight, I would so be turned on by you. "

I laugh and give him a hug.

" come on, let's finish your hair so you can show Matthew how sexy you really are. "

The door bell rings and I take a deep breath, unlocking it and opening it up. My eyes look up and lock with his. I open the door wider, revealing my apparel. His eyes widen, trailing over my body then back up to my eyes.

" hey, " he smiles.

" hey. "

" I, um, I got these for you. " he says, handing me a bouquet of flowers.

" thank you. " I grin.

" you look lovely. " Matthew compliments.

" so-"

" for goodness sake! You two act like high schoolers going on their first date! " Kian interrupts and walks to the door.

Matthew smiles and sighs, " hey, Kian."

" hey? Nuh uh Mr. It's hello, that's strike one. "

" Kian."  I say in a warning tone.

" hush child. " Kian says, holding up his hand. " now, what do you plan to do with my Bff tonight? "

" I, um, dinner? "

" dinner? Where? " Kian asks with a raised eyebrow.

" it's actually a surprise.. " Matthew mumbles.

" you're not being open with me, strike two. "

Matthew's jaw drops. " how many do I have? " he asks.

" as many as I like, now, what time do you expect to be getting my bae home? " Kian sassily asks with a hand on his hip.

" um, well actually I booked a hotel for ton-"

" oh hell no! " Kian says, making a rainbow snapping motion over his head. " ten o'clock mister, got it?"

" alright. "

" what did you just say? "

" yes sir. "

" that's what I thought. Okay, last thing. You see here-" Kian points to my waist, "- you don't touch lower than here. And you see here-" he makes an air circle around my breast, "- you do not touch these. Got it?"

" yes sir. " Matthew says.

" okay, have fun Max. Not too much fun though. " Kian warns.

I walk out of the house and Matthew puts his hand on my waist. As we walk away, he slides it a bit lower.

" hey! That's strike three! " Kian yells from the door. Me and Matthew continue walking, our laughs fill the hall.

" oh wow. " I say after Matthew uncovers my eyes. A picnic on the beach. Candles line the blanket and rose petals create a path to it. I smile and Matthew takes my hand, leading me to the picnic.
" you went all out for this babe. " I grin.

" you deserve something special. " he says.

I blush and take off my heels, sitting down on the blanket.

" you know, you should wear a tux more often. " I smile.

" oh yeah?"

" yeah, it's a big change from your normal shorts and t-shirts. " I laugh.

He smiles and holds up a grape, " open up. " he says. I open my mouth and he plops the grape into my mouth. I smile and he stands up, untying his tie.

" what are you doing? " I ask.

" let's go swimming. " he says, unbuttoning his shirt.

I force my eyes away from his chest and up to his eyes, " are you serious? " I ask.

" yup. " he says, kicking off his shoes. " you coming? "

I smile, " this is so stupid, so of course I'm doing it." I unzip my dress and let down my hair, taking off my earrings. " I'll race you."

" you're on. "

After our swim, we took a walk. Hand in hand, letting the water wash over our feet.

" what's that? " I ask.

" what?" Matthew question, looking down at me.

" that shiny thing in the sand over there. " I point, pulling him over to it. He bends down and picks it up. I gasp and look at it. A diamond ring, a absolutely beautiful diamond ring. Matthew bends down on one knee and I cover my mouth. " no way. " I gasp.

" Max Jean Mackenzie, I love you. And I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Mary me? "

My eyes fill with tears and I nod my head. " yes, a billion times yes. " I say. He stands up and wraps his arms around me, spinning me around. His gentle hands slide the ring over my finger and he smiles at me. I press my lips against his and grin.

" I booked a hotel." He mumbles.

" my curfew is eleven. "

" who cares? "

" I don't, all I care about is you right now. "

" I love you."

" I love you too. "

Matthew pulls away, " We're getting married!!!! " he screams into the night air. I smile at him and look at his eyes, the eyes of my savior.

Thank you for reading my short novel, All Angels Can Fly. I hope you like my writing!

9 months later

" Kian! I need my shake! "

" calm down, I'm coming."

" oh no, where are the rings?? "

" I've got them! "

" crap wrong heels. "

" ow that hurt! "

" that's enough blush! "

" deep breaths, calm down. "

One word of advice, don't get married unless you are prepared for war.

None months of this, nine months of wedding planning, dress shopping, venue decorating, sending out invitations, dealing with drama from future sister in laws, uggggggghhhhh.

Just, don't get married unless you truly love the person.

I stand from my chair, my hair finally finished, and waddle over to Kian. Oh yeah, didn't I tell you, I'm pregnant. Yeah the night Matthew proposed we um, yeah. So now I look like an octopus head was glued on my stomach.

" Miss? It's time to put on your dress." Jamie, my dress designer, tells me. I sigh and walk with her to the changing room.

The dress slides on me and I look in the mirror. Tears fill my eyes and so do the eyes of the woman standing behind me that looks a lot like my-

" mom? " I ask and turn around, my eyes wide.

" you look so beautiful. " she says.

" mom! " I run to her and wrap my arms around her. Well, as much as I could.

" oh my goodness, you're pregnant! "

" mom, you got my invite. I can't believe you actually came. Where's dad? " I ask, gripping her shoulders.

" honey, I tried to get him to come with me but.... "
" I understand. Well, at least you're here. " I smile.

" Honey, I'm so sorry for what we did. We thought you stabbed Brian... "

" no mom, he hurt me. " I say, referring to my ex.

" I'm so happy baby. You're getting married!! And you're pregnant!! " she smiles.

" yeah I am. Holy cow I am!! I've got to get my flowers and check the cake and make sure-"

" shh, shh, I'll do it. You just finish getting ready. " she says. I smile and relax. " my baby's getting married, I'm gonna be a grandma." She sings, walking out of the room.

I smile and look at the mirror. " you're getting married. " I laugh. " woo! "

I know it sounds cliché, but time really does seem to stop when you're walking down the isle. Kian's grip on my arm doesn't feel anything close to the rapid beat of butterflies in my stomach.

I look at Matthew, standing there, tears in his eyes. I know that I'm about to cry. It's just me and him in here, no body else. Just us. Each step closer, my heart beats faster. Five steps left, four, three.

My heart beats faster, faster, faster.

Two, one, I'm there. Looking right into his eyes. His hands take my hands and he smiles. I take a deep breath and repeat every word I'm meant to repeat. We say our vows and then the moment I've been waiting for happens.

He says two words.

I do.

" I do. " I say.

The next thing I know, we're kissing.

I look at him and smile then I look to every body else. For a moment, I think I see angel wings go behind the door. And then they're gone.

I didn't need to jump to test if all angels can fly, I flew on my own. High up in the sky. But I still want you to know, all angels can fly.

The end.