Forever: A Screenplay | Teen Ink

Forever: A Screenplay

By anonymous06 PLATINUM, Northbridge, Massachusetts
anonymous06 PLATINUM, Northbridge, Massachusetts

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas Edison

“The Bird and the Worm” by Owl City fades in.

A cabin sits in the middle of farmland with a classic red barn behind it. A couple of chickens peck the grass. A gentle breeze blows the grass.

Justin- 17, brown hair and eyes- is sitting on a rocking chair on the porch of the cabin. He is wearing a red plaid shirt and paint stained jeans. A straw hat is propped over his face. Holly- a brunette beauty with bright green eyes- walks up behind him trying to hide a smile. She takes his hat puts it on his own and begins to run. Justin’s eyes open wide and the camera shows his smile. He stands and follows her through the chickens to the barn.

INT. Barn- Right After

Cows and horses are in pens inside. A rope hangs from the roof leading over to the hayloft. Sunlight streaks in. Hay covers the floor.

Justin follows Holly up the rope into the hayloft. They share a smile before she throws the hat down to the bottom and climbs back down.

EXT. Farmland- Moments later

Holly grabs the hat and keeps running. She runs through the corn fields. Justin follows, but stops and runs an opposite way. Holly looks behind her for him in the cornfield, but he isn’t there. She turns and Justin is right there. He grabs her hand and brings her through the fields to the apple orchard. Justin climbs up the tree and throws her down an apple. While up there, he tries to grab the hat, but she moves it out of his reach. They both eat a juicy apple before Holly takes off running again. She stops at the creek. Justin picks her up by the waist they both end up swimming. The camera focuses on the hat sitting on the bank with the splashing in the background.

The sun is just about to set when they return to the bank. They sit and smile. Holly says something inaudible and puts the hat on his head. He smiles and leans in for a kiss. Holly wipes a strand of wet hair from her face and smiles. She leans in and then grabs the hat off his head. She then runs off barefoot. The camera shows her running off and then Justin’s smirk. He gets up and runs after her.

Music fades out and the title fades in on the side of the river bank where their footprints are.

A large secretary desk sits in the very middle of the room. It’s cluttered with papers and photographs of tiny toddlers at an amusement park. A woman with large bags under her eyes and glasses on her nose sits behind it with a phone to her ear. She is wearing a plain white blouse and black dress pants. Behind that are series of cubicles. The camera zooms to one. The door opens and an elderly woman comes out crying. The camera zooms further into the room.

Justin- now grown and decked out in a suit- sits behind the impeccably neat desk rubbing his temples. He looks out the giant windows behind him where the traffic can be heard honking. Sirens are faint. Justin then shakes his head and scans his email. The phone then rings and he picks it up.

JUSTIN

(impatiently)

Justin Santos. (pauses) Yes. (pauses) I will be down soon. (puts down the receiver and yells) Marie!

Marie, the secretary, hurries in. 

MARIE

Yes, sir?

JUSTIN

Clear my schedule for this afternoon.

MARIE

(timidly) Actually, sir-

JUSTIN

(with force as he stands)

Clear my schedule, Marie! Is that too hard for you to understand?!

MARIE

(stares at the floor)

Sir, you have a...guest...in the lobby for you.

JUSTIN

(picks up his coat)

Who?

MARIE

(points to the door)

She said her name was Nina Blackwell.

Justin drops his coat and nearly runs to the door. The camera shows Nina sitting nervously on a chair watching the people coming and going. She wears a chocolate pantsuit with a yellow blouse beneath. Justin turns back around and shakes his head.

JUSTIN

(flatly)

Send her in.

Justin watches through the window as Marie walks over and tells Nina that she can go in. Nina smiles and thanks the woman. Just before she enters, Justin turns back to his computer screen. Nina enters and then stands in front of his desk with her arms crossed and her lips pursed.

JUSTIN

(without looking up)

Hurry up. I’ve got a lot of work to do.

NINA

(with some sass)

Really? You’re staring at a blank screen.

JUSTIN

(looks up, embarrassed)

How’d you-

NINA

Lucky guess. (uncrosses her arms and takes a seat)

So, this is where you ended up, huh?

JUSTIN

(looking uneasy)

Why are you here?

NINA

(narrowing her eyes)

Why are you here?

JUSTIN

(grabbing his jacket)

I don’t have time for this.

NINA

I think your drunken buddies can wait.

JUSTIN

(staring her down)

How-

NINA

(meeting his eyes)

Don’t you ever consider what went wrong with your life, Justin?

JUSTIN

No, because nothing ever did.

NINA

(stands and nods)

She knew you weren’t worth it.

JUSTIN

What do you mean? (mocks her) Not worth it?

NINA

My sister works in Iowa where we grew up. She told me that you weren’t worth hunting down. I didn’t listen because I really wanted to prove her wrong. (heads towards door) I guess she was right all along.

Nina walks out and Justin follows her nearly running.

JUSTIN

Ms Blackwell, wait a second.

NINA

You have places to be, remember?

Nina walks out and hails a cab leaving Justin standing on the city streets. He takes a slow walk down the street to the pub.

A large bar takes up the right half of the room. A couple of tvs line the back wall. The other half has pool tables and one air hockey table. Drunks are all over. Some sing. Others fight. One guy falls off his stool next to the countertop and Justin takes his seat.

TV

Recently, a Bostonian man has reached his one hundredth birthday. Lucie Smith has more information. Lucie? Thank you. Recently, this man had celebrated his one hundredth birthday. A lot of candles to blow out. (Justin snorts and takes a sip from his glass) What is your secret, sir? (a man’s voice) Oh...there ain’t no secret. Just make sure to take the right path. (Justin slowly looks up) You see, it’s not about how many years, it’s about what you make of those years. (back to reporter’s voice) Indeed. So remember that viewers, make the most of every single day because you’ll never know if it’s your last.

The camera focuses on Justin’s face. He thinks for a moment before taking another sip. Nina’s words (She told me that you weren’t worth hunting down... I really wanted to prove her wrong...I guess she was right all along) play in the background. Justin rolls his eyes and then stands. He leaves a ten under his mug and walks out the door right into his group of friends- young thirty year olds with lots of money and little class.

FRIEND 1

Justin! Hey, buddy, you beat us for a change.

Justin doesn’t say anything. He pushes his way through them and, through the window, the audience sees him hail a cab. The camera focuses on the friends.

FRIEND 2

(staring out the door)

Where the hell is he goin?

FRIEND 1

(questioning look)

I don’t know. 

Fade Out.

A New York taxi drives up the gravel road that separates two giant wheat fields. A tiny wooden stand is at the very end next to a path leading up to a house and barn. Baskets of goods are all set up at the stand with simple homemade signs with the prices. A toddler chases some chickens around behind it. The classic farmhouse is distant with a beat up chevy truck next to hit. The barn is also classic and has one door wide open. A woman in a pair of faded jeans, rubber boots, plaid pink shirt tying in the front, and straw hat covering her messy brown braids is working in the fields. A basket full of beans is on her hip.

The taxi stops at the end and Justin gets out- his tie is hanging around his neck and his dress shirt unbuttoned at the top. He peels two 100 dollar bills from his pocket and gives it to the driver.

JUSTIN

Keep the change.

He slams the door and looks around. Eventually, he walks up to the stand and examines some of the products. Oliver, a little, freckle-faced boy no older than four in a pair of overalls- walks over.

OLIVER

You buyin sumtin?

JUSTIN

(shocked)

Um...no.

OLIVER

(reaches for a carrot but is just shy of it)

Why ya here then?

JUSTIN

(handing him the carrot and looking around)

I’m..um...looking for someone.

Holly, the woman from the field, walks over and puts the basket on the counter of the stand. She wipes her filthy hands on her pants before putting them to her hips.

HOLLY

(disapprovingly, but kind)

Ollie...what did I say about eating the profits?

OLIVER

(handing her the carrot and dropping his head)

Not ta.

HOLLY

(putting it back in the basket)

Dinner will be ready as soon as Daddy gets back, okay?

She kisses the top of his head and then he runs off to play with the chickens again. Holly sorts the vegetables into the desired bin without turning to Justin. He goes to open his mouth, but she beats him to it.

HOLLY

(angry)

What are you doing here?

JUSTIN

(straightening his collar)

I ca-

HOLLY

(obviously not hearing him)

You think you can just show up and give my son part of our profit because he reaches for it? You think I even trust you with that kid? Not sure how things work in...in Chicago, but here... this is our income. This is our payday. So if you’re buying something, buy it and leave.

JUSTIN

(scrunching his eyes and then shifting his position)

You have no idea who I am.

HOLLY

Did you not understand anything I said to you a second ago?

JUSTIN

(calmly)

Turn around, Holly. Turn around and look at me. (she does)

You have no idea still?

HOLLY

(nodding)

I know exactly who you are. (scoops up some mud and smothers it down his face)

She walks away into the field leaving Justin standing there with mud dripping down his face. He looks completely disgusted, but doesn’t freak out. He continues to follow Holly, who is now picking corn.

HOLLY

I know who you are... Who you truly are. So just get your silk covered ass out of my life, okay?

JUSTIN

(taken aback)

I would, believe me, but there’s just one tiny problem.

HOLLY

(turning from the ear of corn)

And what may that be?

JUSTIN

I have no way of getting back home.

Holly’s face turns red and she curses under her breath. She then stands and looks over at Oliver, who is playing nicely. Then she grabs Justin by the collar of his shirt. He looks terrified.

HOLLY

(whispering with fury)

It has been seven years since you left, Justin. Seven. I don’t know what my sister told you, but I am perfectly happy with my life here. Okay? I have a great husband and an even better son. The last thing we need is you showing up and tearing those seems apart. So, you will be walking back to Des Moines tonight. Don’t get mugged.

Holly walks away leaving Justin standing there like a fool. He continues to face the camera while the viewers see Holly scooping up Ollie and carrying him up the hill.

The house is cozy, but pretty much bare. A wooden table sits in the corner of the room next to a brick fireplace with a mantel lined with photographs. A kitchen is not seen, but the light from it is. Oliver is sitting next to Holly at one end of the table. Clayton, a mean looking young man with a moustache covering his upper lip and dark hair and eyes was sitting across from them. He had unbuttoned the top of his checkered shirt revealing his thick muscles. The clanging of the silverware and the roaring fire are the only sounds until there’s a knock on the door.

CLAYTON

(looking up at his wife)

Are you going to get that?

HOLLY

(biting her lip and putting her fork down on the plate)

Yes, dear.

The camera follows Holly walking to the door. She opens it slowly and her face drops as she sees Justin standing there. He smiles weakly. Holly goes to shut the door, but he stops it.

JUSTIN

Hey, I forgot to tell you. (pauses and chuckles) I don’t live in Des Moines or Chicago...I live in New York City.

Holly’s face drops even more. She then looks past him and up at the dark sky.

HOLLY

(sighs)

Get inside. There’s a storm coming.

Just as she finishes saying it, thunder rumbles in the distance. She closes the door.

The camera is now back to the dining room where Oliver is cowering in his father’s presence. He sees his mother and then happily continues eating his dinner. Clayton puts his fork down and looks at Justin.

CLAYTON

And who are you exactly?

JUSTIN

Justin Santos, NYC CEO.

He goes to shake the man’s hand, but pulls away when Clayton simply continues his dinner. Holly places a dish at the other open seat. Justin looks at it before shrugging his shoulders and picking up a fork. Holly then wipes Ollie’s mouth and turns to her husband.

HOLLY

Clay, Justin will be staying here for at least until the storm runs its course. (turning to Oliver) All right, to bed with you now.

She picks him up just as he rubs his sleepy eyes. The camera shows Justin eating with his head down while Clayton stares at him. Fade out.

A twin bed is tucked in the corner of the room across from the window, which was covered in a transparent blue curtain. A chest with Oliver’s name carved into it was at the foot of the bed. The rest of the room was bare, with the exception of the finger painted pictures taped to the walls. Holly is just finishing helping Oliver put on the shirt of his pajamas. She begins to tuck him in as the lightning flashes and thunder roars. He jumps up and wraps his arms around her neck.

OLIVER

(with fear)

Mum?

HOLLY

(shifting him so that he can be cradled in her arms)

It’s just a storm, honey.

The lightning flashes again and Oliver buries his head into her dirt-covered shirt.

HOLLY

You’ll be just fine. (tucking him back under again) Good night, my little pumpkin. (kisses his forehead and stands up)

OLIVER

Good night, Mum. (adds as Holly is about to close the door) And, Mum, the chickens don’t like the thunder too.

HOLLY

(smiling softly)

I’ll make sure they are okay. Good night, my boy.

The closing of the door switches the scene back to the kitchen. Clayton is slowly drinking his bottle of beer while Justin stares outside. They both turn when Holly enters the room and takes the plates. Justin tries to help her, but she pulls them from his hands and disappears again. She returns with a ragged blanket.

HOLLY

(handing the blanket to Justin)

There’s a spare bedroom on the second floor. It’s the first door on the right as soon as you walk up the stairs. The bathroom is right across from there. Please be quiet, Ollie is trying to sleep.

Justin nods and then walks upstairs. The camera follows him to the room. It has the same layout as Oliver’s, but the chest isn’t customized. He looks out at the storm before falling back on the bed. He falls asleep almost instantly.

Justin bolts awake and gets up. There is still rain pelting the roof, but there is also faint yelling. He walks out to the hallway where he stumbles over Oliver, who is cuddled up in a little blanket with exhaustion on his face. He looks up at Justin.

OLIVER

They just fightin again.

JUSTIN

(shocked)

What do you mean?

OLIVER

Mum don’t like when Daddy drinks. And he drinked tonight.

JUSTIN

(smiling at the boy’s face)

Let’s get you back in bed then.

Justin carries the boy to bed and then sneaks downstairs in the darkness where the kitchen light creates an eerie feeling. The yelling gets louder. He hides behind the wall and watches. The camera switches to the kitchen.

Holly is standing in front of the sink with soapy hands. Clayton is standing over her yelling in her ear. She stares out the window at the rain with an emotionless face.

CLAYTON

You should be raising him like a man not like the wimp of a person like your damned self! If our son should be scared of anything it should be of a harsh whipping from his father.

HOLLY

(with tightness in her throat but still with strength)

Our son is afraid of you.

CLAYTON

And who put that idea in his head? Huh? Look at me when I’m talking to you, woman!

The camera switches back to Justin who flinches as a slap is heard. The view changes back to the kitchen where Holly stands with a soapy hand to her face. She removes it and continues to wash the dishes as though nothing is out of the ordinary.

CLAYTON

And what is this Justin kid doing around here? Huh?

Clayton grabs her by the shoulder and spins her around so that she is right in front of his enraged face. He grabs her wrist and she lets out a yelp.

HOLLY

(shaking)

Please, Clay, let go.

CLAYTON

Why is he here?!

HOLLY

(almost in one breath)

He’s only here until he gets a taxi back to New York. When the weather lets up he’ll be gone, I promise.  Now get your damned, drunken self out of this house this instant.

Clayton strikes her once more and the sound of a plate shatters then the door slams as Clayton leaves. There’s an eerie roar of the truck engine. The camera shows the back of Justin’s head and Holly brushing a strand of hair from her face and then picking up the shards of the broken plate. Justin starts to walk in, but holds back and then heads up the stairs.

The camera now shows Justin watching through his room door as Holly walks down the hall and checks into Oliver’s room. She smiles.

HOLLY

(sweetly)

Hey, buddy. What are you doing up?

She enters the room and Justin slips into the hallway right outside the door. Holly’s voice can be heard along with Oliver’s muffled sobs.

HOLLY

It’s okay. I got you. (pauses) It was just a bad dream, buddy. (pauses) I’m right here. (pauses even longer) I’ll always be right here.

The crying stops and the floorboards creak. Justin looks shocked and he scurries back to his room. Holly walks out as he just slips the door open.

HOLLY

(tense)

What are you doing up still?

Justin turns to face her and looks a little shocked seeing her bruised cheek bone and bleeding lip. He tries to form words, but can’t.

HOLLY

(reaching for her cheek)

The storm got a little wild and the chicken coop hit the side of my face.

JUSTIN

(with disappointment)

I see.

HOLLY

What?

They both just stand there with the rain pelting on the roof and windows. After some time, Holly rubs her arm and takes a deep breath.

HOLLY
Well, see you in the morning.

A rooster calls out and the camera is focused on the chickens walking around in the coop. Holly is at the chicken coop in a pair of jean shorts and a long-sleeve tee. Her hair is back in a messy bun and makeup covers her face. She puts her hat on Oliver’s head (Oliver is wearing almost the same thing as the day before, but with a green shirt under the overalls) and lifts him to take the eggs out of the coop. He gently puts them in the basket hanging from Holly’s arm. After putting three or four in, Oliver opens up the coop and chases the chickens around. Holly collects the rest of them.

Justin, in his wrinkled suit from the day before, walks from the farmhouse with the screen door snapping shut behind him. He walks over to Holly with a smile.

JUSTIN

A sunny day. (crosses his arms) Better start walking, huh?

HOLLY

(continuing to collect the eggs)

New York is pretty far. You’ll be lucky to get there by Christmas.

Justin leans on the side of the old coop, but the wood is rotted out and he stumbles forward. Holly tries to hide a snicker. She shakes her head and continues to the front porch. Justin composes himself and then follows her.

JUSTIN

I guess what I’m trying to say is-

Holly turns and smiles. You can’t even see anything about the night before on her face.

HOLLY

(almost playfully)

You haven’t left yet? You’ll be there by Easter now. (looks over his shoulder and yells) Ollie! Keep them away from the corn please!

The camera shows Oliver herding the chickens away from the crops in the background. Both Justin and Holly are watching him with smiles. The camera switches back to Justin when he speaks again.

JUSTIN

He seems a lot like his mother. (Holly shakes her head)

You used to be that way with the bunnies, remember? (she nods- still watching Oliver)

What happened?

HOLLY

We grew up.

JUSTIN

(taking a deep breath)

Well, I hate it. I hate New York. I hate being a CEO. And I hate being away from the fields, the animals, you.

HOLLY

(looking him square in the eye)

I have other priorities now. I’m not just a carefree, wild teenager anymore, Justin.

JUSTIN

No, you’re a great mother and wife.

HOLLY

(absent-mindedly)

Yeah. I am.

JUSTIN

Well, I’d better get going.

As he begins to walk away, Holly purses her lips and calls after him.

HOLLY

Justin!

JUSTIN

(turning with a smile)

Yes?

HOLLY

I could use some help on the farm...if you could get time off from work that is.

JUSTIN

(smiling wide)
I was hoping you’d say that.

Justin, in a pair of dusty jeans and a plain white tee, is sitting at the dining table. Holly comes up behind him and puts a cold cloth on the back of his neck. He flinches at first, but then relaxes.

HOLLY

It only stings for a second. Right Ollie?

OLIVER

(looks up from playing with the Lincoln Logs and toy cars)

Yeah. Not fun playin close to the hives.

JUSTIN

(holding the cloth to his own neck)

Still would have been nice to know about before you send me into the fields.

HOLLY

(smiling)

Remember when we were about ten and you dared me to climb the tree?

JUSTIN

(face lighting up)

Oh yeah! You stuck your foot into the hive!

HOLLY

(in hysterics)

And then you ran away screaming like a little girl.

The roar of the truck engine fades in. Everyone goes silent Clayton stumbles in and sits at the table. His clothes are all wrinkled and he pulls a beer from the cooler.

CLAYTON

(impatient)

Where’s my dinner?

HOLLY

(bites her lip)

It’s cooking, dear.

Holly hurries to the kitchen. Oliver looks up at his father and then quickly back down the his toys.

CLAYTON

(staring Oliver down)

You shouldn’t be playing with that nonsense, son. I’ll get you a pistol and teach you to be a real man.

JUSTIN

He’s only four, sir.

CLAYTON

Was I talking to you?

Holly reenters with a tossed salad. She places it on the table and picks up Oliver. She sits him in his seat and then sets the table.

CLAYTON

Salad? That’s the best you can do, you damned b****?

HOLLY

(undeterred)

When the end of the season comes, there’ll be meat. Until then, you get salad. (she dumps it on his plate)

JUSTIN

(as she puts some on his plate)

Thank you, Miss Holly.

She shakes her head slightly and then gives Oliver whatever’s left. Oliver looks up at her with sorrowful eyes.

OLIVER

(holding up a carrot slice with his grubby fingers)

Mum?

HOLLY

(smiling sweetly)

Thank you, but I know how much you love your carrots, Ollie.

They eat in silence. At the end of dinner, the camera follows Justin up the stairs and down the hall. The door to Oliver’s room is open. Holly is sitting on the edge of his bed and tucking him in.

OLIVER

Mum, do you love Mister Santa?

Justin stops at outside the door to hear the answer.

HOLLY

Mister Santos? (pauses) Um..he’s an old friend. (tucks him in tighter) But that was long before a fine young man like yourself came along.

OLIVER

But do you still love him, Mum?

HOLLY

No buts, Ollie. (stands and walks over to the lamp)

OLIVER

(nodding slightly)

I like him, Mum. (sleepily) He’s...very nice and makes you laugh.

HOLLY

(turning off the light)

Good night, my son.

Justin once again scurries to his room and closes the door again. This time he makes it. The camera shows Holly walking down the hall and taking a right down the stairs. Fade Out.

The next couple of clips seem to be the same thing over and over. The rooster calls then Holly, who now has a large welt on her forehead, is out in the fields working. Justin waves every now and then, but then ends up doing something drastically wrong (crashing the tractor, dropping the harvest, getting slapped in the face by the stalks, tripping over a chicken, etc.). The camera then shows Oliver laughing as he continues to herd the chickens. Then it switches over to dinner, where everyone falls silent and Clayton drinks. Then it’s Oliver’s bedtime and Justin listens from the doorway. The only things that seem to change each day, outside of clothing and the weather, is Justin’s face and Holly’s injury type (the last day her facial bruises are fading, but there is a prominent one on her collarbone).

Holly is standing in front of the sink with her raw hands washing the dishes. Justin is standing behind her with his hands in the pockets of his jeans. No one else is anywhere to be seen.

JUSTIN

Thanks, Holly.

HOLLY

(staring absently out the window)

For what?

JUSTIN

Turning my life around.

HOLLY

Yeah, no problem.

JUSTIN

(moving closer)

Are you okay?

HOLLY

Fine.

JUSTIN

(moving even closer so that he can give her a backrub)

Is this about Clay bailing tonight?

Holly flinches as he touches her shoulders causing Justin to pull back. She then drains the sink and dries her hands.

HOLLY

See you in the morning?

JUSTIN

(disappointed)

Yeah.

Holly walks off before he can finish.

Oliver is sitting on the porch trying to eat a popsicle, but most of it is melting down his arm and chin. Holly is out in the fields and Clayton is still gone. Justin walks out the door and sits next to the boy.

JUSTIN

She always work that hard?

OLIVER

Never seen her not.

JUSTIN

She deserves a break. You agree?

OLIVER

Yeah (continues to lick at his popsicle)

Justin walks to the fields with a smile. Holly is in her own world collecting the vegetables and doesn’t see him walk up. Justin takes the hat off of her head and places it on his own. Holly turns and then smiles as she sees the hat still fits him.

JUSTIN

Well, you goin to try and get it?

HOLLY

(still staring at him)

I have some beans to harvest and sell. And Ollie to look after.

JUSTIN

You work too hard which is why I’m goin to do this.

Justin grabs her hand and pulls her out of the fields. Holly tries to refuse, but can’t.

JUSTIN

(to Oliver)

You want to join us?

HOLLY

Ollie, we’re going to the creek. You want to come and go swimming?

JUSTIN

(turning to Holly)

We are?

Holly nods, squeezes his hand tighter, and pulls him along. Oliver is running behind them with a couple of chickens following him. Fade Out.

The creek runs between two grassy forest lands. A tree hangs over the water with an old rope tied to it. The water is close to five feet deep in the middle, but only two to three on the banks. The water is also very clear and a couple of trout swim around.

The camera shows the fish first. Those fish then get scared as someone jumps in. The camera then shows Justin popping his head from the middle of the creek. He gets out and joins Holly and Oliver on the bank. Holly is undoing Oliver’s overall buttons while he rambles away. The audience can’t hear them talking over the music in the background.

Slow Motion: Justin then goes back in the water and splashes Holly as she stands there with Oliver, who is test the water. Oliver and Justin laugh while a shocked look comes to her face. She bends over and pushes a bunch of water at him. The splashing fight begins. A while later, they each try the rope and cannonball into the middle of the creek. Justin even tries to catch a fish, but falls in face first causing everyone to laugh. Several times, the camera shows Holly and Justin smiling at each other.

The music fades and the slow motion stops. It is now a little before sunset. Holly is sitting with her legs outstretched and propping herself up with her arms soaking wet. She is watching Oliver playing on the shallow banking. Justin squeezes out his t-shirt and hangs it over the branch. He sits down beside her.

JUSTIN

Was this better than picking beans?

HOLLY

Was it better than working up in your office?

JUSTIN

(sighing)

Ever since I came here, I realized that I don’t belong in that office. I don’t belong in a suit either. And I really don’t belong in a pub every night after a long day of work with my buddies getting drunk and stupid.

HOLLY

(slightly scared)

You drink?

JUSTIN

No, I drank. I’m giving it up. I love my liver. (whispers in her ear)

And I love you. I’d quit anything to make you happy.

HOLLY

(biting her lip)

You know.

JUSTIN

(still whispering)

I’ve known since night one, Holly. I kept quiet because I didn’t think it was my place to say anything. But it is. Before something happens to you.

HOLLY

(whispering with desperation)

You can’t tell anyone.

JUSTIN

(grabbing her hand)

Holly, I can’t let you keep pushing this off. It’s far too serious.

HOLLY

He’s a great guy, Justin. I love him, okay? He just can’t control himself sometimes.

JUSTIN

Holly, look at me. (she does and he loses his train of thought) Um...a great guy doesn’t treat his lover like a piece of crap. A great guy doesn’t scare the living daylights out of his son. A great guy doesn’t abandon the family.

HOLLY

He just works long shifts.

JUSTIN

Stop kidding yourself, Holly. He stumbles in at dinner every night and demands a meal. You suck it up and make it for him. You send Oliver to bed shortly after and tell him how much you love him and then tuck him in and kiss his forehead. Then you go do the dishes- where the battle begins. He swears at you and then pounds the living daylights out of you. You stay strong and kick him out. Then you check to make sure Oliver didn’t hear any of it because you don’t want him to hate his father or think that anything is wrong. He’s usually up. He sits in the hallway, Holly, and hears the whole thing. He’s usually shaking in that little blanket. He cries until you come in and sing him to sleep again. You assure him that everything’s okay. Then the next morning, you’re out there in the fields covered in makeup knowing it will repeat all over again.

HOLLY

(stands)

I knew it was a mistake to let you stay. You are working for the DCF. You are spying for Nina. I really trusted you for a minute. (to Oliver) Come on, Ollie, it’s getting late.

JUSTIN
Holly, you can’t keep it up forever.

Clayton is at the end of the table finishing a bottle of beer. Oliver is at the other end watching him very carefully. Justin walks in and sits in the middle. Holly walks in with a three plates of spaghetti and fresh bread. She scowls at Justin, who still has the hat, and sets the plates down. She sits at the table while everyone else eats in silence. Once Oliver is done, she brings him upstairs.

INT. Oliver’s Room- Right After

Holly puts his pajamas on him and then washes his face off. She smiles as he crawls under the covers. She kisses his forehead and then says goodnight. She opens the door and Justin is standing there. He grabs her wrists gently and leans in.

JUSTIN

Watch yourself.

HOLLY

(pushing him away)

I got this covered.

INT. Kitchen- Right After

Holly is nibbling at the remaining pieces of bread as the sink fills up. She flips through the stack of bills in the dim light before something blocks the light entirely. Before she can turn, Clayton hits the side of her face and puts a large hand over her mouth. Holly visibly is hurting, but stands anyway. She stumbles a little.

CLAYTON

Damned b****, you tell him?

HOLLY

(pushing his hand aside)

Tell who what?

CLAYTON

The boy! You tell our boy to not speak!

HOLLY

I don’t know what you are speaking of.

Clayton grabs her by the shoulder and spins her around so he can get a clear shot of her stomach. She cripples over for a second.

CLAYTON

You stupid ass! You know whether you told him or not! (he slaps her face again)

HOLLY

I didn’t tell him anything, Clay!

The camera switches to Justin who is laying wide awake in bed. He jumps when he hears glass shattering. Without caring what he’s wearing, Justin runs down the stairs and into the kitchen. Holly is on the floor, curled up, as Clayton continues to pound and kick. She is not crying though. Clayton picks her up by the shoulders, clearly squeezing too hard, and yells into her face.

CLAYTON

I can’t believe I even married a useless piece of crap like you! You do nothing but work against me! I’m not taking any more s*** from you anymore! I’m taking the boy and leaving you here to rot in your wretchedness. (drops her to the floor)

HOLLY

(raising her head revealing a bloody nose; shakily)

Leave Oliver alone.

CLAYTON

He’s my son too! I can do whatever I wish with him, b****.

Holly’s head drops back down with exhaustion. Clayton turns around and sees Justin, in a pair of boxers, standing there.

JUSTIN

A son means that he has a father. I don’t see a father anywhere in here.

Clayton goes to hit Holly again.

CLAYTON

You told him too, you-

Justin grabs Clayton’s giant arms before he can do anything and pins him to the wall.

JUSTIN

I used to break the horses for my father. I’ve got more strength than you by far.

CLAYTON

(scared)

I was just-

JUSTIN

You were just leaving. For good. Expect the lawsuits, restrainments, and the divorce papers. (someone knocks on the door) And probably the cops.

Clayton is speechless as the officer comes in and takes him away. Justin closes the door behind them and then hurries to Holly’s side.  He grabs the dish towel before cradling her in his arms. Justin slowly wipes her face clean. Holly bursts into tears and starts to shake.

JUSTIN
It’s okay. I got you. (pauses) It was just a bad dream. (pauses) I’m right here. (pauses even longer) I’ll always be right here.

Two Months Later…

The camera shows a closeup of a chicken pecking the grass. It jumps as Oliver, in a pair of overalls and the straw hat, comes over and tries to pick it up. The camera then zooms out showing the mass of people in the grassy pasture in front of the house, which is covered in a fresh coat of paint. Oliver and the chicken runs through the people until they reach the porch. Justin is standing there with a crooked smile on his tanned face. He’s in a red plaid shirt and paint stained jeans. His hair is jutting out at all angles. Holly, in a cotton sundress and holding a bouquet of flowers, comes from the screen door with an even bigger smile. Her face is free of all makeup and her green eyes are brighter than ever. She looks out at the crowd, but then turns to Justin. She stares at the ground and then back up at him flirtatiously. A preacher walks over and begins the ceremony. The end of “The Bird and the Worm” fades in. As the preacher closes his book, Holly grabs the hat from Oliver and places it on Justin’s head. He smiles and goes to kiss Holly, but stops. He then takes the hat off his head and smiles at the camera. He puts it over the camera causing the scene to end.