The Wrong One | Teen Ink

The Wrong One

July 16, 2016
By anonymous06 PLATINUM, Northbridge, Massachusetts
More by this author
anonymous06 PLATINUM, Northbridge, Massachusetts
35 articles 5 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas Edison


“And now Adela Genevieve Smith will give her speech.” The crowd erupted into cheers as the principal handed the microphone to the girl in the front seat of the auditorium. She stood up while tugging at her light blue cotton dress. Adela grabbed it with a sweaty palm.

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to thank you all for coming. I promise I will make this quick because it’s really warm in here and I’m starving.” She paused to let the crowd laugh. “Thirteen years ago, we came together to make this class. Of course at that time, we were fascinated by crayons and silly putty. But, we formed this class. Every single one of us has contributed to some part. Yes, we’ve lost a few along the way. However, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a better group of people than those sitting in front of me. And I’m proud to say that I’m valedictorian- not because of the title, but because of the people I’m representing. Today and everyday after that will be some of the best and most successful of them all. Thank you.” Adela put down the microphone and walked back to her seat as the crowd clapped. A hand rubbed her back causing her to jump. Yet, it made her ease up a bit.

 

The principal began to read out the names. Fear and excitement could be read on every single face as they walked up. When it was over, most celebrated or met with their parents. Adela, on the other hand, walked upstairs to her locker. It was completely empty, but she traced over the door..until it slammed shut.

 

“What was that for you…”

 

A round face covered in freckles was in front of her.

 

“Chloe!”

 

“Whatcha doing?” She was wearing a long, red dress and twisted her hair up into something that could belong to an art museum. In her hand was a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. “Come on, you should be happy. I mean you’re going to Harvard for law! Full scholarship with an intern session in Germany!”

 

“Shhh…” Adela had just received the letter weeks earlier and still hadn’t told her own parents. She was excited, yet there was so much here. “Changing already?”

 

“Yup. Gotta beat Greg at something before I leave.” Greg was Chloe’s personal interest, so to say. They were always competing in stupid things. The first being on the second day of school when they raced across the monkey bars. Chloe lost her calmness and the race that day.

 

“Good luck with that. No one beats the Gregster.” Secretly, Adela was jumping for joy. She had been planning this night for at least a month and her best friend was not supposed to be there.

 

“Except for tonight!” The girl let out a whoop and ran barefoot down the hall with her dress flowing behind.

 

Adela sighed and sat up on the railing. Two hands wrapped around her waist pulling her off and into the air. She let out a squeal followed by a laugh. “Hello, Michael.”

 

Michael was Chloe’s twin brother yet they looked nothing alike. He had thick, dark curly hair and deep green eyes. They were both the exact same height though, with the same muscle build. “Nice speech.” His suit was unbuttoned and the dress shirt hung over his pants with his light blue tie around his neck.

 

“Thanks.” Adela grabbed his hand and pulled him through the school. She had memorized all her lines for each location like a museum curator. After about twenty minutes, Michael put a hand over her mouth.

 

“You already made your speech tonight, valedictorian.”

 

She licked his hand making him jump back. “One more spot. Please.” The girl pulled him into the gymnasium and up to the top riser. Chloe was scrimmaging Greg on one of the hoops, but other than that it was empty. A slow song came on over the PA system.

 

“Hey, this is…”

 

Adela put a finger to his mouth. “Before you say anything, let me finish.” She took a deep breath and removed her finger. “Ten years ago, I was sitting up here doing my homework while basketball practice was going on. You were fooling around and hit me in the head with the ball. My papers scattered all over the place.” The song changed to something a bit more upbeat. “You know the story from there.”

 

“Of course.” He grabbed her hands. “I need to ask you something.” Michael re-buttoned his suit and re-tied his tie, with Adela’s help. From his pocket, he pulled out a small box. “Adela Genevieve Smith, will you make me the happiest man in the whole world?”

 

Adela swallowed hard. Tears began to flow from her eyes and she turned away. “Michael, there is something I also needed to tell you.” Shaking, she pulled out the reception the letter from under her.

 

“This is great news.”

 

“I’m going to Germany.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“For two years. When I come back, I’ll be in Harvard. Then another school and then alongside the English government in London.”

 

“Okay.”

 

She sucked down some air. “What I’m saying is...I need to focus on my career and set myself on the right foot before I can do anything.” She closed her eyes so that she couldn’t see the pain in his jade eyes. “Michael, I can’t marry you. I’m sorry.” Adela leaned back on his shoulder as he sat next to her. He put an arm around her shoulder and wiped the water drops from her cheek. The one night she decided to put on makeup, she regretted it as it came down in thick smears. “I love you.”

 

“Likewise.” He kissed her and squeezed her hand hard.  He knocked down the ring without noticing.

 

“Hey! Mike! Get down here and replace your sis!”

 

Red-faced and sweaty, Chloe came walking up the bleachers and took Adela’s hand. “Come here, dear.” She dragged her to the locker room leaving Michael no reason not to shoot hoops. Inside, Chloe turned a dial and pulled out a bag of cosmetics. “Want to talk?”

 

“No.”

 

“Well, that was probably the hardest thing you will ever have to do.”

 

Adela washed her face and changed into a pair of running shorts and a tank. “Hopefully.” But something was telling her it was not.

“Chris, tomorrow is the beginning of my vacation, you seriously can’t expect me to come in for paperwork?” Adela held tight to her to folders as she stood in the threshold staring at her boss.


“We’re backed up. It needs to be done.”


“I trust that Marlene and Jim will do just fine finish it.”


He put down his pen and stood. “You’re my top lawyer.”


“Train them to be at my level.”


“Tell me what to do one more time, Miss Smith.”


She swallowed hard and said a couple words. A couple minutes later she packed up her desk in a giant cardboard box. She strapped it down to the back of her moped. Adela put on her orange helmet and took off without looking back.


The girl pulled into a back alley and hopped off before covering it with a tarp. She fearlessly walked to the front door and into the lobby.


“Miss Smith.” The doorman in his deep blue uniform brushed back blonde locks.


“You don’t need to give me the title, Jacob.”


“It’s my job.” He looked under the counter and pulled up a stack of papers. “These are yours. But I see your hands are full so I can bring them up for you.”


She balanced the box in one hand and grabbed the stack with her other. “I think I’ve got it.”


Jacob smiled and then stood in front of the stairwell. “You’re early. How about dinner?”


“Thanks, but not hungry.” Adela walked around him and up the twenty flight of stairs effortlessly. She fiddled with her keys before getting it unlocked. The box and pile of papers fell to the floor as she noticed the vase of lilies on the countertop. A handwritten note in a thick envelope laid next to it. Regaining her thoughts, she picked up the papers and noticed one name she’d hadn’t heard from in a while. Sucking down a deep breath, she rang the intercom. “On second thoughts, I’d love to go to dinner tonight. Be down a six.”


At five, Adela showered up and put on her fanciest dress- a long, green silk one. From a small box, she pulled out a pearl necklace and applied makeup. By six, she slipped on her heels ready to go. Jacob was in the lobby in a suit, but his hair still hung like it normally does.


“You look nice.”


“Likewise.”


He grabbed her arm and they walked to the restaurant on the corner. They sat in the corner booth by the windows before either said anything. Finally, Jacob looked up, “I had no idea a girl who rides around on a moped can fix up so well.”


“Excuse me?”


“No, not like that. Why do you ride?”


“Easier in a city and with all the moving I do.”


“And the winter?”


“Not too bad.” She turned to look out the window. Avoiding eye contact was best right now. Part of her was queasy with the idea of it all still. “Thanks for the flowers.”


He pushed aside the menu. “What flowers?”


Adela searched his face for any sign of disbelief, but she couldn’t find any. “The lilies.” The words came out like lead. “On my counter.” The food was placed in front of them, which only added to her queasiness. “I’ll be right back.” She booked it to the restrooms barely making it. Taking deep breaths, she washed out her mouth and checked her phone. There was one solution.

“You did what?!” Chloe screamed into the phone. “Hold on, I’ll be there in an hour.”


Adela clicked off the phone and changed into her pajamas, which were no more than a long sleeve shirt and a pair of flannel shorts. Her hair now tied back in a ponytail, she laid back on the sofa. Exactly an hour later, Chloe barged through the door.


“Okay. Tell me everything. Now.”


“Did you ever think of knocking?”


“You’re stalling.” The girl plopped down next to her best friend.


“Fine. I got fired today. So I showed up here early, when Jacob asked me to dinner. Then I noticed the flowers and…”


“They are beautiful flowers.” She hopped up and looked at the card. “Whoa! These are from....did you read this yet?”


Adela shook her head and grabbed a blanket from the closet, but still noticed Chloe’s cheeks turn pale and then flush.


“Okay. Well, take a seat and a deep breath.”


She did so.


“‘Adela Genevieve Smith, we have not said much in several years, so this might not be the right words to say. These flowers are your absolute favorite, I remember that much’….something else I can’t say.”


Adela tried to slow down her heart beat- only one person knew her favorite flower. Hoping her voice didn’t sound as shaky as she felt, she said, “Say it. Today can’t get possibly any worse.”


Chloe took a deep breath and continued. “‘I feel as you should be the first to know and first to be invited. This Friday, I will be wed. If you have time, I really hope you will attend. Please read the letter for more details.’ Are you okay?”


“Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?”


“You’re sucking the life out of that pillow.”


Adela looked down at her white knuckles and let go of the pillow. “I’m fine.” After a couple of seconds, she put her head back and let out a tiny sob.


Chloe picked up her friend’s head and put it on her lap. She stroked the girl’s hair gently. “I’m sorry.”


“It’s not your fault. I should have said yes when he asked me at graduation.”


“Hold up. He proposed?”


Adela rubbed her eyes. “I declined for Harvard and Germany.”


“You could’ve been my sister! Either way, you made the right choice.”


“I know. I don’t regret it at all.”


“Really? The tears?”


“It’s been a long day.”


Chloe got up and avoided the subject. She changed into her pajamas before telling the plans. “I came an hour out. I’m staying the night. Also, I brought the stuff for the camping trip, so you’re stuck with me for a whole week.”


By that point, Adela was scooping ice cream into large bowls. The tears had dried in the corner of her eyes and her hair was fixed. “Strawberry-vanilla swirl with hand-whipped cream, five cherries, chocolate syrup, and rainbow sprinkles?”


“Duh.” Adela put the bowl in Chloe’s hands, but the girl put it down immediately and ran to the bookshelf. “Are these the books we made?” She held up a couple of weathered, leather covered books. Before Adela could stop her, Chloe opened up the pages and smirked. “Interesting.”


Miss Smith cleaned up the kitchen and took a bite of ice cream. “What?”


“These pages are very themed.”


“You know what? I need to pack for tomorrow.” Adela, with her ice cream, walked down the hall to her office. Boxes upon boxes were stacked up. Boxes that tonight she just wanted to throw away before Chloe could get her hands on them. But instead, she pulled out her backpack and undusted it.


Chloe stood at the threshold and smiled. “You never changed, Adela.”


“What? With all these boxes?”


“No. You never slow down, which is why you own a moped. It’s quick and gives you a thrill.”


“Chloe…”


“But you kept those books, which tells me that there is still something in there.” The girl put a hand over her own heart.


“Chloe,” Adela warned again.


“Del, stop fooling yourself.”


Adela stared hard at her friend before opening one box labeled graduation. She pulled out a frame and wiped off the dust. It was a basic picture- her senior yearbook photo.


“I don’t get it.”


Adela pulled off the back of the frame and slipped the photo out. She rubbed the words and closed her eyes making Chloe clear her throat. Finally, she handed her friend the picture.


“This is Mickey’s hand writing.”


“Michael gave it to me the day after graduation.”


“You disappeared that night.”


Adela turned to bright red and took the picture back.


“Oh. My. God. Del, how could you not have told me?”


“How was I supposed to? You were living it up. Plus, he showed up at my window.”


“I need to talk to Mickey.” Chloe put her ice cream down and sat on the floor. “Wait! You and him were no longer together. You rascal! I thought you were always so perfect and innocent.”


Adela put everything back in the box still bright red. Then she walked out of the room and came back with a pile of clothes. She packed them in and then sat across her friend.


Chloe stared hard at Adela’s shirt. “Hmm...it seems you didn’t return something.”


“I don’t think he really wanted it back.”


“Why?”


“I spilled some wine on my dress and then spaghetti sauce. So..um..he lent me this while we tried to get the stain out.”


“Spaghetti? Wine? Del?”


“Well, my parents were out on business, so we had the whole house.”


“Your little brother?”


“Sleeping.” Adela stood again. “You want to see my options for a dress?” Chloe agreed so the other girl went through her closet.


“Too professional. Too bland. That one!”


Adela was holding a sparkly, turquoise dress. It had very thin straps and was long enough to cover her knees. “You like it? I can’t believe it still fits.”


“It looks wonderful. Michael will love you in that.”


“Michael is getting married.”


“Well, maybe someone else will like it there.” Chloe smiled and took a bite of ice cream. She went out to watch a movie while Adela hit the bed.

The next morning, Adela packed her things in Chloe’s SUV. Just as the streaks of dawn colored the sky, they took off. After driving for hours and playing assorted games, they finally made it to the campground.



The site was on a ledge overlooking the lake. High enough to avoid traffic and noise. Low enough to see the lake with clarity. Adela set up the tent and other equipment while Chloe went off to talk to a couple of the men on the beach.


“So, Gil is a cutie. He’s a senior in college and has a very sturdy six pack. I’m going over for a campfire tonight. What?”


Adela shook her head. “You walk over there and manage a date within twenty minutes.”


“And?”


“How many times have you been rejected?”


“A lot. Usually I go on one date and then split. Why?”


“You’re never scared?”


“Of course. I am always panicking, but I get over it after a couple minutes. But seriously, that guy is cute.” She sat back on the picnic table.


“Do you want a burger?”


“Nah. Save it.”


Adela went into her tent and changed into her bikini. It was pale orange and she hated it. Once she came out, she threw on a t-shirt and a pair of cutoff jean shorts. Barefoot, Adela pulled out her life vest and paddles. “I’m gonna rent a kayak. See you at four.”


It felt so natural sitting back in the seat of the kayak. The paddles pushing her out into the middle of the lake. The sun beating down on her face. In fact, she had forgotten all her problems for quite a while. The girl paddled to a fallen tree. Ducking, she crossed under making it to the secret passage. It was about then when her troubles returned.


Another boater was waving his or her arms wildly. Quickly, she approached.


“Need help?”


“Adela!”


She sighed. “I thought there was an emergency.”


“Is that how you greet an old friend?”


“Sorry.” Adela tipped her paddle to pile some water on it. Then, she flung it soaking his face. “Is that better, Michael?”


He pointed to the small island and began paddling. She followed. His tan legs were the first thing she noticed. They were much, much tanner than she’d remembered. Then it was his face. Still freckles and bright eyes. Michael threw her a water bottle and plopped back on the sand. “So, how you’ve been?”


She took a sip. “Busy.” The water was sweet and almost unnatural. “I got fired yesterday.”


“Oh...sorry.”


“Yesterday was pretty bad. I got fired. Went on a date. Got your invitation. And Chloe ate me out of ice cream.”


His eyebrows raised with everything she added. “Sorry.”


“Ain’t all your fault. How ‘bout you?”


“Picking on my accent?”


“What’d you move to Texas?”


He made a face. “No. I am marrying a girl from down there. Jennifer Jones.”


Adela got up and checked her bag. “Congrats. Want me to throw a giant party for you?”


“I see you’ve changed a bit.”


“Me? Look in a mirror, bud.”


“That’s it.” Michael stood and ripped off his t-shirt. “You have a bathing suit on?”


“Yes.” She got the hint and removed her shorts and shirt. Adela folded her arms over uncomfortable in just the bikini. But, before she knew it, Michael’s arms were wrapped around her, throwing her into the lake. “Help! I can’t swim!”


“Oh. My. God.” Michael rushed over. “Wait a second…”


Adela grabbed his hand pulling him under. “Ha! Sucker.” She barely made out the last word as he pulled her foot submerging her head.


They both came up laughing and smiling. But right in front of each other so close they could feel the breaths on their faces. Adela felt something pulling her closer, yet fought it off. She swam back to the shore, packed her bag and set off. Or would have.


Michael followed her in and grabbed the end of the boat. “See you soon?” His phone rang cutting off her answer. “Yes, Jen, I’m coming.” When he hung up, Adela was halfway back to the entrance of the secret lake. He sighed and threw the phone down.

The next morning, Adela crawled out of her sleeping bag to see Chloe sitting at the picnic table.

Without turning from her phone, the freckled faced girl said, “Good morning, Del.”

“Why are you already up? I thought I’d have to drag you out after your late night.”

“For the record, I came back at eleven twenty. And, I went over to Gil’s for breakfast.”

“At six?”

“Del, it’s nine thirty.”

Adela rubbed her eyes which were growing larger every second. “I planned horseback riding for eleven. We’re going to be late.” She ran into the tent and changed into a pair of jeans and striped tank top. Her hair was braided back into a messy bun and she slid on canvas sneakers. “Come on!”

Chloe hopped in the passenger seat. “Relax. Do you have everything you need?”

“I think so.” Adela put the key in and started Chloe’s car. Then, she took off to the mountains.

“So, why horseback riding?” Chloe took a granola bar from her pocket.

“I did it when I was younger and really want to do it again.”

“These tickets are from the year we graduated.”

“Thank you, detective. I called and they said there were two open spots today that I could redeem these tickets with today.”

“Why two?”

“I knew you’d want to come with me.” Adela turned on the radio. “I love this song!”

Chloe eyed her friend suspiciously. “You’re changing the subject.”

“Am not.”

“Del…”

“Okay, so the other ticket wasn’t for you. Michael and I had an entire trip planned before I got the acceptance letter.”

Chloe smiled. A sweet smile. Then she put her hand on Adela’s knee. “Are you sure you want to go Friday?”

“Positive.”

They drove in silence until they reached the stables. Chloe was the first to speak.

“Um...Del...see that mustang convertible over there?”

She did.

“That’s Jen’s.”

“Jen, like…” Her voice trailed off, but Chloe knew what she meant and nodded slightly. Adela took a deep breath. “What are the chances we’re on the same trip?”

The chances were pretty good.


“Hey sis!” Michael walked over with Jen on his arm to Chloe and Adela. “What are you doing here?”

Jen was a thin girl with flat hair that was dyed a deep shade of red. She wore her clothes tight and leather riding boots. She also smothered herself in so much makeup her true identity was invisible.

“Mickey,” Chloe said flatly and looked around.

“Jen, could you grab my camera from the car?” The snotty girl reluctantly walked down to the car to grab his camera.

Chloe looked between her brother and best friend. “I’m just going to use the restrooms before we leave.” Then she scurried away.

“Hey.”

“Hey,” Adela replied and walked to the line by the ticket window.

“So, you’re riding today.” He stood in line next to her.

She held up the tickets. “From our graduation plan. Figured I might as well use them while Chloe and I are up here.”

“We were crazy back then weren’t we?”

“Yeah.”

The lady at the window called for next in line and instinctively Adela stepped back to allow Michael to go first. He did the same.

“Seriously, ladies first.”

“Haha! Age before beauty.”

“Then that means you get to go first.”

“I’m younger than you!”

“By one day!”

“Can I please see the next customer in line?” The receptionist was growing impacient.

Jen walked over as the receptionist spoke. She took Michael’s wallet from his back pocket and bought the tickets. When done, she turned and said, “Are you coming, Mikey?”

Adela tried her hardest not to laugh. Michael hated nicknames, except Mickey, and that was allowed by family only. She stepped to the window, apologized, and redeemed her tickets for two helmets. Just as she was fasening hers, Chloe made her way out and put on her rental.

“I also checked out the horses,” Chloe confessed when Adela asked what took so long.

The Turners, Jen, and Adela were put in one group. They saddled up and rode across the grassy field until they reached the mountain.

“I don’t think we should go up that way. There are bears, ticks, snakes, wolves, and…”

“Relax, Jen,” Chloe began.

“Exactly, those things are the reason we should go up there,” Michael explained.

Jen and Chloe stared at him, but Adela simply said, “I’m in.”

“You can stay here if you really don’t want to go up, Jen.”

“Alone?”

Chloe blocked her ears at her future sister-in-law’s shriek. “Fine, I’ll stay with you. Let the adventurers go have a blast.”

Adela shot a look at her best friend. Chloe would never turn anything down like this. “Chloe, you go with your brother. I think Chuckles needs a break.”

A smile spread to Chloe’s face as she remounted using a stump. The Turners then disappeared up the mountain trail.

That left Adela to strike up conversation. “So, Jen, I heard you live in Texas. How is it there?”

The woman stared her down for a minute before answering. “Flat.”

“I see.” She took a deep breath and led Chuckles to a nearby stream. “Have you ever rode before?”

“I had to when I was eight. It was to win a pageant.”

“Did you end up winning?”

“Obviously.” The girl’s accent-and skull- were thicker than molasses. “Have you ever won a pageant before?”

“I’ve never really entered one,” Adela confessed and nibbled on a granola bar.

“Don’t worry. If you did, you wouldn’t have won anyway. Not with those thick hips, knock knees, and muddy feet. Plus, your filthy knotted hair and your blemishes. Not to mention the whole lack of talent.”

That was enough for Adela. “I’m a lawyer who studied in Germany and went to Harvard! I finished top of my class with enough credits and extracurriculars to cover another person! I don’t need an award to prove to myself that I’m a success because I know I already am.”

“That’s what all the losers say.”

Adela clenched her fists, but Chuckles nuzzled her tense back stopping her. At first.

“And, FYI, Mikey is my fiance, so stop interfering with true love.”

“For your information, I don’t even care about Mikey.”

“Well, the trail has been washed out so we couldn’t continue. Do you want to go down by the creek? We still have an hour left.” Michael and Chloe were right behind Adela allowing a smug grin to sit on Jen’s face.

Adela dropped to the back of the line without saying a word.

Chloe moved to be aside her friend. “Thanks for letting me go up.”

“No problem.”

“I bugged him until he decided to turn back. There was no washed out path.”

“Great.”

“Come on, what happened to the young and wine-spilling Adela?”

Adela avoided the question and sped ahead.

They reached the creek almost too soon. Michael tied the reins of his horse and Jen’s stallion to a tree. He then eyed the rocky cliff. “Miss Smith, up or down?”

She hopped off her palomino, tied it to a tree, and joined him. “Up.”

“Looks like we’re going for a hike.”

Jen groaned causing Chloe glare. The freckled face girl then added, “Listen, princess, I know you’re not familiar with cliffs and danger and, well, anything with dirt other than the gossip column, but this is our trip too. If my brother wants to climb, you let him climb. If you don’t you to climb, then leave.”

Adela put a hand over her friend’s mouth before she could do any more damage. “What she meant was that this is a group trip and majority rules right now. Unless you want us to leave your…”

Michael cut her off. “Honey, if it makes you feel any better, I won’t let you fall. Trust me.” He wasn’t looking at his fiance however. He was looking right over her shoulder. Directly at Adela.

Jennifer sighed. “Fine. But, we’re doing it with actual ropes and such right?”

Adela and Chloe grinned and set their backpacks on the ground.
Finally Michael answered her with one tiny word. “Nope.”

Naturally, Chloe set off first. She was some kind of rock scaling guru knowing exactly where to place her weight. Adela followed in her footsteps, carefully turning now and then to check out the view. Jen and Michael were slowly progressing. Even from her big lead, Chloe could hear the Texan complaining. About halfway up, Adela took a break on a rocky ledge. She took several pictures and laughed as she watched Jen climb up.

“Keep going, I’m right behind you!” Michael yelled up to her, but he stopped on the ledge with his classmate. “I saw that snicker, Del.”

“I only have granola bars,” she protested with a smile knowing what he meant.

“This whole thing kinda blows the plans for my honeymoon.”

“I can’t believe you love her,” Adela said probably a little too harshly. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean…”

“Relax.”

“Why do you love her?”

He was a tad taken back by the question. “I could say that she’s beautiful, smart, and athletic, but then you’d know I’m lying.”

“Yeah.”

“Well, we’d better head up.” He got to his feet and looked up. Chloe was just helping Jen over the top. “Go up first.”

Adela set a rather quick pace up the other half of the cliff. Perhaps a little too quick. Her foot found a loose stone and slipped. She frantically searched for another hold causing her hand to loosen its grip in the process. Adela heard Michael yelling from beneath her, but she couldn’t make sense of it all. Adrenaline and fear ran through her blood. Pain ran through her muscles.

Michael somehow managed to climb next to her and place her foot into a tiny hole. He then wrapped an arm around her as she regained her position and breath. “Take as long as you need, Del. You do not want to fall from this height.”

She closed her eyes and placed all the stress in her back onto him. Regaining her breath, Adela said, “I’m ready whenever you are.”

Michael backed down slightly to let her advance up. Her arms and legs were pretty much numb and filled with fatigue causing her to slip now and then. But every time she did, Adela felt Michael placing her feet. She eventually made it to the top into Chloe’s clammy hands.

“Don’t do that to me EVER AGAIN. You hear me?”

Adela saw Chloe’s mouth moving, but didn’t hear a thing. She watched Michael climb up in exhaustion with the same look on his face as she had. He took a deep breath and looked around, but stopped right where Adela was. While Chloe was still ranting, Adela walked over to Michael rubbing her elbow.

“Um...thanks...back there. I owe you.”

He wiped his forehead with his t-shirt. “Your welcome. I only take payment in dinner. Perhaps tonight?”

She went to answer, but Jen walked over and showered him in kisses. Adela turned around and rejoined Chloe.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?”

For the first time, Adela noticed the picturesque landscape around them. It was something a camera never could capture in its lens. This day would be something she’d never forget for as long as she lived.

The group returned to the horses without any perils and rode back to the stables exhausted. They bought ice cream before saying their goodbyes. Jen waved her hand and nearly ran to the car. Chloe licked her brother’s chocolate chip ice cream cone and did an elaborate handshake. Adela was just going to wave, but he pulled her in for a hug.

In her ear, he whispered, “Seven tonight. Meet me at the mess hall of the camp.”

She shook her head, called him crazy, and then when back to Chloe’s SUV. Adela stared out the window and slowly ate her strawberry cone.

At six-thirty, Chloe left to eat dinner at Gil’s campsite again leaving Adela time to wash up quickly in the restroom without being questioned. She changed into a pair of capris and a flowing blouse. She let her wet hair hang at her shoulders and put on a thin layer of makeup. Adela slid on a pair of sandals and took a slow walk to the mess hall, careful to avoid Gil’s site.

At exactly seven, Michael pulled up in a beat up Chevy truck. He popped the lock and turned down the radio. She hopped in without thinking twice.

“You’re actually on time for once.”

“I know!” he exclaimed. “Weird, ain’t it?”

“Ain’t?”

“Isn’t,” he corrected. “Are you as sore as I am?”

“It feels like my arms and legs are about to fall off.”

“Yup.” He drove down the street a little bit before turning off at a diner. It was hopping for sure. “Ever been here?”

“Never.”

“Well there’s a first time for everything,” he grabbed her hand and led her inside.

They laughed. They ate. They talked. They had a great time without thinking twice about the consequences awaiting them.

At quarter of eleven, Michael dropped Adela back at camp with a smile upon his face. He thanked her and said they were even now. Adela wandered back to the tent with thousands of thoughts racing through her mind.

Her joy ended when she saw Chloe sitting at the picnic table with phone in hand.

“Where you been?”

“Places.”

“With who?”

“A person.”

“Thank you, Captain Obvious.” Chloe noticed the smile on her friend’s makeup-coated face. She then noticed the clothing. “Wait a second...you were on a date!”

“Um...I wouldn’t call it a date.”

“You were totally on a date,” the freckled face girl said with a grin. “Tell me all about it.”

Adela faked a yawn. “You know, it’s kind of late.”

“Now you notice the time? Just tell me!”

“Fine.” She sat atop the picnic table. “At six-thirty, a person picked me up outside the mess hall. We drove down to a diner and ate. Then I was dropped off and here we are.”

Chloe shook her head. “You’re hiding something.”

“You asked for the story, I gave you the story. Goodnight.”

“Quick question.”

“What?”

“Where did you meet this man?”

“Um...well...at the...um...stable.” It wasn’t a complete lie, but it wasn’t the truth either.

Chloe eyed her up. “The stable? I was with you the whole time.”

“Not when you used the restroom.”

“Touche,” Chloe yawned. “I’m doing full interrogation in the morning.”

“You can’t. Tomorrow’s the rehearsal wedding.” Adela stood and climbed into her tent. She didn’t even change into pajamas, but kept the memories of the night on.

The next morning, Adela awoke before Chloe to take a quick shower. She changed into a cotton sundress and a pair of sandals. This time, Adela tied her hair back into a messy bun and left the makeup off.

Chloe was already dressed up when Adela returned. She had on a pair of jean shorts and a halter top. Heels were on her feet and makeup covered her tired face. Her hair was in one thick braid.

“I’m driving,” Chloe held up her keys and hopped inside. “And interrogating.”

“You can drive, but save your questions.” Adela sat in the passenger seat and stared out the window.

“How about questions that require ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answers only?”

“Fine.”

Chloe took a left onto the main road and asked her first question. “So, did you two just chew and screw?”

“No.”

“Oh...The more I speak to you, the more and more I see you are not so innocent.”

Adela turned red, but didn’t say anything more.

“Okay...did you two...um...do it?”

“It? Not exactly.”

Chloe sighed. “What did you two do?”

“That’s not a yes or no question.”

“Please, Del. We used to tell each other everything when we were younger. I can tell you everything that happened with Gil if you want.”

Adela threw her hands in the air. “He kissed me! Okay?”

Chloe was taken back by the outburst. After a couple minutes of silence, she asked one simple question that would change the entire situation. “Did you kiss him back?”

“Yes.” Suddenly, Adela’s phone rang. She shot a glare at Chloe before answering. “What do you want?”

When she hung up, Chloe asked, “Who was that?”

“Your brother. The rehearsal was cancelled because he’s not feeling well today.”

“Must have had a late night out.”

“Yeah,” she sighed. “He nearly choked on the bread ro…”

“I knew it, Del! You went on a date with my brother last night!”

Adela hung her head knowing she blew her entire story. “It wasn’t a date, it was an I-owe-you.”

“But you kissed him!”

“It was an accident, Chloe. We were supposed to eat and then go back our separate ways. Plus, he’s getting married.”

“Unless….”

“There is no ‘unless.’ He’s getting married tomorrow and I’m going to back to Germany.” Adela crossed her arms and stared out the window without speaking another word. Chloe turned the car around and headed back to camp. They spent the rest of the day in silence finishing off various tasks.

The next morning both girls awoke soaked. A thunderstorm had rolled in overnight along with torrential downpours. Adela kicked aside her soggy sleeping bag and moved her waterproof duffel bag to the car. Chloe was sleeping like a baby inside her SUV already. She didn’t even budge when Adela closed the door.

The sky did not look like it was going to let up any time soon. Apparently, it was the same way up by the hotel as Michael made another call. Figuring that Chloe was out cold, she answered it right then and there.

“Del, I can’t do it today.”

“The rain should be letting up soon.”

Silence and then. “The whole thing is outside. Even if it stops raining, the ground will be muddy and Jen hates mud. If she starts complaining then today won’t be the best day of her life and then she’ll do nothing but complain and agonize for as long as we live. Plus the caterer can’t come because a tree fell on his building and knocked out the power which prevents the oven from working. So now all the guests are going to starve which will make Jen’s family unhappy and they’ll lay it all out on me and…”

“Michael, take a deep breath.”

“Sorry, it’s just…”

“Where are your parents staying?”

“Why?”

She looked at Chloe’s gentle rising and falling chest before answering. “Today is supposed to be the best day of your life, so I’ll do this little bit for you. I can’t cook at camp, but I’ll go there and make every single dish by hand that you need.”

“I can’t let you do that.”

“Even if you say no, you know that I’m going to do it.”

“Fine,” he sighed. “Come to my hotel room in an hour.”

“See you then.”

“See you then.”

Adela hung up and looked over at Chloe who had just awoken. “So..um...how about a little road trip?”

“To my brother’s hotel room so that you two can...?”

“Stop. You’ll be my guide so that I don’t ruin the wedding any more than it already has been.”

Chloe brought her seat back up to the normal position. “But I want you to ruin the wedding.”

“He’s super stressed right now because the rain is ruining the wedding, nevermind because of me.”

“Fine. Let’s go.” She started the car and took off down the washed out roads to the Grand Hotel and Inn. At a little past six, they pulled up at the hotel and asked for the directions to Michael’s suite. Chloe wanted the elevator, but Adela insisted on taking the stairs.

“It’s the eleventh floor, Del,” Chloe stated.

“Think of it as a hike.”

They eventually made it up to the top fifteen minutes later. Chloe didn’t bother knocking, she just barged in. Michael was sitting on the couch solely in a pair of running shorts with a phone to his ear. He hung up almost instantly to yell at his sister.

“Why would you just barge in here?! What if I wasn’t decent or Jen and I had plans?”

Chloe laughed and put a hand on his shoulder. “Let’s be honest here. I’m your twin sister so I’ve seen more than I’d like to. And, Jen and you, don’t see it happening.”

He leaned over and picked up a stack of papers. Turning away from his sister, he said, “Del, this is the list of food that Jen wants for this afternoon.”

Adela examined the papers, her eyes growing larger the more she scanned the lists. “Um...these aren’t going to be ready by noon.”

He plopped down on the sofa and rubbed his temples. “Nothing is going right today.”

Adela sat aside him and rubbed his hand gently causing Chloe to clear her throat. She then turned to her brother and asked, “Where’s Jen?”

“Bachelorette party last night at her mother’s.”

Chloe nodded and then sat next to Adela forcing her closer to Michael. “What did she do, drink like a fish?”

“Probably, which adds even more chaos to this afternoon.”

Adela stood and looked at the list again. “We need a lot from the grocery store.”

“I’ll go get it!” Chloe offered a bit too quickly. She took the list of ingredients from her friend and left the suite. Michael showed Adela to the kitchen area which was lined with various pans.

“I really appreciate you doing this for me.”

“Yeah, well, it’s not for you. It’s for Jen.”

He chuckled. “I heard what you said to her on the horseback trip, this isn’t for her.”

“Fine,” she said while greasing a frying pan. “It’s for everyone else save you.”

“Save me? I’m sinking, save me!”

She threw some flour at him, which led to a full-fledge flour fight. “And, for the record, you are sinking.” Sinking into deep trouble.

Chloe returned from the store with limited bags. She bought several cans of cinnamon rolls, three packages of hot dogs, eight pounds of hamburg, two pounds of chicken wings, five cases of Coke, and four bags of potato chips. There was another bag that was set aside for a very limited amount of fruits and vegetables.

The two looked through the bags before staring daggers at her.

“What?” She asked innocently. “They didn’t have all the fancy sugars, yeasts, and spices. I couldn’t come back empty handed.”

Adela took a deep breath and looked at the bags again. “Clo, this is not a backyard barbeque; it’s a wedding!” Michael had to restrain her from lashing out any more.

“Del. Del. Adela! Stop.” When she did, he let go. “I’m sure you can make do, right?”

She nodded and set to work.

By eleven, the kitchen was filled. The hamburg turned into homemade meatballs. The fruits became a fruit salad and the veggies became a salad as well. Adela worked with the chicken to create chicken salad and roasted chicken with carrots. The hot dogs were wrapped sophistically into bread rolls. Chloe began to pour the Coke into plastic wine glasses. As for the potato chips, most were devoured before noon.

Just before Michael put his suit on, there was a knock at the door. He opened it to see Jen’s mother.

“Mikey, Jennifer is in the middle of being ill from last night. She can barely sit up right now. Can the wedding be moved to five instead?”

“Five? That would work a whole lot better.” He closed the door and plopped down on the couch. He sat up moments later with a smile on his face.

“You’re scheming,” his sister said.

“Yes, yes I am.” Michael stood, took a handful of chips, and grinned goofily. “I have five hours free. What do you guys want to do?”

In unison, they both said, “Sleep.” Adela threw the apron off and plopped on the ottoman. Chloe plopped down next to her.

“I was thinking of something a little more….exciting.”

“Like bringing this all downstairs?”

“No, but that wouldn’t hurt.” The three carried everything down to the main hall before staring outside. It was still pouring hard. It was in that moment that Adela realized they were still in pajamas. Chloe told her not to worry and brought a very large bag from the back of her SUV.

“If you excuse us, Mickey, we have to go look nice for y’all Texas folk.”

He shook his head and went upstairs to his suite. Chloe grabbed Adela’s hand and pulled her down to the giant restrooms.

After two agonizing hours, they were finally ready. Chloe said something about Jen and then went off down the hall leaving Adela alone in the hallway. She was waiting for her friend for quite some time, but it seemed Chloe had disappeared. So, she began a stroll.

Michael, now in his suit and tie, was walking to the elevator. He was pale and sweaty, but smiled when he saw her.

“Look beautiful, Del.”

She thanked him and then turned around, but then she turned back to him. Just as the doors were closing, she hopped inside.

Adela held her breath. Don’t focus on the walls closing in. And don’t turn around either. That will just make it worse. She closed her eyes and held tight onto the side of the elevator.

“Del, why the heck did you come in if you hate elevators that much?” Michael was standing several paces behind her with a piece of crumpled paper and a bouquet of roses in his hands.

“I have no idea.” She was sucking down whatever air was in there. Then a shrill broke the silence. “Michael, why are we stopped?”

“Probably a malfun...probably some little kid playing with the buttons on the first floor.”

“A malfunction?!” Her heartbeat raced even faster than it was before. She began pacing across the tile. “We’re going to die in here. I knew I should have taken the stairs. But no, I was stupid and wanted to relive my past. Ha! That’s what I get for coming here in the first place!”

Michael leaned back and sighed. After one hundred and fifteen seconds, he put down the flowers and paper and stood in her way. She went to walk around him, but he grabbed her bare shoulders with his clammy palms. Instantly, she froze and stared straight into his eyes.

After a couple seconds, she closed her eyes and looked away. She tore off her flats and leaned back against the wall. “Sorry.”

Michael sat down next to her. “It’s fine. Just don’t focus on anything but my face. Does that help?”

“Not really.”

“You can still feel the sides coming in?”

“No.”

“Then what’s the matter?”

“Nothing. It’s stupid.” She closed her eyes and put her head back.

Michael grabbed her hand. “You know, you were the first person I wanted here. It wasn’t my parents or sister. I wanted you here. Yet, you were the last invitation I sent because…”

“Because why?”

“I knew it was going to be hard.”

“How much air do we have?”

“Not sure. Got your phone?”

“Chloe has it.”

“She has mine too.” He paused. “Well, how about this? We don’t say a thing to conserve more of the oxygen.” Michael loosen his tie and removed his suit. Then, he fingered the stems of the roses.

Adela counted three hundred seconds before she opened her eyes and leaned on his shoulder. Secretly, she always loved how her head fit perfectly there. Michael rubbed her sweaty hair and then her back.

“What did you mean by reliving your past?”

“You severed your tibia and fibula in a basketball game and needed to take the elevator. I was carrying your stuff and was terrified to go in.”

“But I ensured you it was okay and safe and that I’d always be for you.”

“Then I freaked out dropping your books everywhere.”

“That’s when I...kissed you.” Michael dropped the flowers and her hand. Then he reached out to brush her soft cheek. Adela froze and began hyperventilating again. His grip tightened and his lips met hers once again.

Adela sunk into the trap letting the root beer flavor absorb into her lips. Then she remembered why they were there. She pushed him back and walked over to the buttons.

“There’s no power, Del.”

“There has to be. We need to get out.” She was trying her hardest to freak out, but it wouldn’t come. The tranquil state hung over her almost as if she was sleeping. The only button left was the emergency one. With a deep breath, she pushed it. “Hello, anyone there?”

“Del, it’s pointless. No one-”

“Hello? Adela?” Chloe’s voice came through muffled, but it was definitely her.

“Yes! Chloe get us out of here!”

“Your tone sounds different. Did it work?”

“Did what work?! Just get us out of here!” Adela mumbled a couple of curses and hit the side of the elevator.

“Del, I have something for you.” Michael picked up the flowers and pulled a ring off of one of the stems. “Because I am getting married in…” He checked his watch. “Twenty minutes, I feel like this has no importance any longer. Therefore, this is yours.” He slid the ring on her right finger. Suddenly, the elevator began moving again. The doors opened wide and Jen ran in immediately. She pushed Adela aside and smothered Michael in kisses. Adela felt her hands clench up, but Chloe grabbed her arms and pulled her out down to the other end of the hall.

“What the heck happened?!”

“What do you mean?”

“Don’t.”

“I hate elevators, so I was freaking out. Then he put his hands on my shoulders and I froze. That’s all.”

Chloe smiled, but it was washed away when Jen and Michael walked past. “I was with that...anyway...I was with her the whole time and I have no idea what he sees in her.”

Adela looked down at her feet. “We should probably get going.”

They walked down to the hall where the chairs were being set up.

“Adela! Haven’t seen you since graduation.” A woman with her hair just starting to gray stood and embraced her. She wore a light green dress with a pale sweater. She smelt of cinnamon and apple pie.

“Been busy. Very busy.” Adela sank into the woman’s embrace not realizing how much she had missed it.

“Beth, I was talking to...Adela!” A man also graying in a suit and tie came over and joined the embrace. He pulled her aside and squeezed her head in his elbow. “You should’ve come around.”

“Sorry. I was just explaining to Bethany that I’d been very busy.”

“Ah yes, the workforce.”

“Plus, it would’ve been different,” Chloe added causing both her parents to stare. “I mean, a couple of kids just graduated who hate and love each other’s guts.”

Bethany turned toward Adela and squeezed her hand. “We’ve missed having you around.”

“Yeah, who else could compliment your cooking.” Robert, the father, chuckled while wrapping an arm around his wife.

“Or beat you at Scrabble.”

They all laughed, but pain went through Adela’s chest. How selfish could she have been? She snapped out of it when Chloe shook her.

“You didn’t hear a single thing, did you?”

“Not a word.” She sat down between Chloe and Bethany grabbing both of their hands. The preacher smiled and a red-faced Michael appeared. He fidgeted with his tie and wiped his brow. Then, he locked eyes with Adela. She smiled and spoke to him with the code they had created when they were younger. A quick itch behind the neck and a glance over her left shoulder. Good luck. You will be fine. Michael smiled and talked quietly with the preacher.

The organ began playing and everyone stood. Adela felt her shoulders rise and fists clench, but let them go when Chloe raised her eyebrows. Jen wore a skin-tight white gown that puffed at the hips with a giant flower on the side. Her feet were in the highest heels known to man. A smug grin sat on her face as she walked down the aisle. She grabbed Michael’s hands and everyone stopped. The ceremony had begun.

The whole time Adela was trying to fight the urge of leaving. A couple times she came very close, but Bethany and Chloe kept a firm grip on her hands. Once she assured them that she was fine, Adela traced her lips with her fingertips. When she looked up, Michael was staring down at the floor without even a trace of a smile.

The preacher cleared his throat. “Jennifer Abigail Jones, do you take Michael Charles Robert Turner as your husband until the end of time until death do you part?”

“I do.”

“And do you, Michael Charles Robert Turner, take Jennifer Abigail Jones as your wife until the end of time until death do you part?”

Michael turned pale and he scanned the crowd. He turned to the preacher. “The end of time?”

“Until death do you part.”

He turned back and looked right where Adela sat. She put her head down and kept Chloe’s hand tightly in her own. Michael swallowed hard and took a shaky breath. “I...I...I do.”

Adela felt as if her heart was about to burst in a million pieces. Her head spun and she felt the blood stop still in her veins. She twisted the ring on her finger.

“Unless there are any objections...I now pronounce-”

“Wait!” Adela fought off Bethany and Chloe. “I object.” Everything was blurry and silent except for Michael’s face to the point she could count every freckle. “Michael, you and I met on the basketball court. You hit my head and scattered my homework everywhere, but I remember it clearly. Then, I hung around with your family. Making pizzas while having flour fights. The great blender incident. Then, the board games and moonlit walks. I missed my chance years ago, I know that. But, before you make the biggest decision of your life, I just want to let you know that I hope Jen is the one that makes you feel like you made me feel.”

Michael kept his eyes on her the whole time even as someone from Jen’s family pulled Adela out to the front doors. She watched as the doors closed before turning and walking outside to the fountain. The rain had finally let up some. Adela let the tears fall as the water sprayed behind her. Eventually the doors opened. Chloe and her parents made their way through the mob over to her.

“Hey. Are you okay?” Robert pulled a piece of hair from her face.

“Yeah. Thank you.”

He and Bethany tapped her shoulder before leaving Chloe to talk. “I thought it wasn’t a big deal.”

“It was, Chloe. It was.”

The girl took a deep breath and sat down next to her best friend. “I know. That’s why I trapped you two in the elevator.”

“You did WHAT?!”

“I purposely got you two in the same hall just as he was entering the elevator. The door was to stay open just long enough for you to get in. Then, after a couple minutes, I stopped it. Just as your oxygen was depleting, approximately the same time as you called, I restarted it. I took both your phones so that the only thing you two could do was talk to each other...and not call 911.

“I hate Jen, Del. She is not what my brother needs. It’s you. And with everything else, you made this set up so much easier for me. Admit it, you still love him.”

“Chloe…”

“Admit it.”

“Fine.” Adela took a deep breath. “I still love him with all my heart.”

“That’s good to know. Chloe, may we have a moment?” She nodded and left. Michael took her spot on the stone.

Adela felt her face heat up. “How long have you been there?”

“Long enough.” He shifted his position. “Is there something you want to talk about?”

“It doesn’t...could you remove the tie and suit first? It’s a bit...um...much.”

He loosened the tie and removed the blazer. Michael even undid the top buttons of his dress shirt. “Better?”

She nodded. “I am sorry about ruining your wedding. This was supposed to be the best day of your life.”

“That’s just the thing. Today was supposed to be the best day of my life, but it wasn’t. Well, let me take that back. The best part of today was supposed to be seeing Jen walking down the aisle or the kiss bringing us together. It wasn’t. I enjoyed a kiss...the one with you in the elevator. And, when I saw you out on the lake, I felt like a teenager again.” He moved in closer. “That is why I did not marry Jen. There is someone else I’d rather spend my life with.”

Adela turned away fighting tears and a smile. “What about Jen?”

“She’ll be fine after a couple glasses of wine.” He smiled. “I never loved her, Del. Not like I love you anyway.” Michael kissed her and she sank in this time without a single worry. In the midst, the ring was slipped from her right hand to the left.

“Michael.”

“You’re not saying no this time are you?”

“What do you think?” She leaned in and kissed him again holding her lips to his for several minutes. “I love you, Michael.”

“Likewise.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


on Jul. 23 2016 at 10:00 am
anonymous06 PLATINUM, Northbridge, Massachusetts
35 articles 5 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas Edison

Please let me know what you think...