Vibrant | Teen Ink

Vibrant

By Rebma616, Lapeer, Michigan
Rebma616, Lapeer, Michigan

Author's note:

I put a lot of myself in this piece. I know something like this in real life and it forced me to share it with others. 

Nothing hurt more than the pain and agony she put me through. She never wanted me, she lead me on and made me think as if she wanted me in her life forever, she was a liar, she lied. That was the worst pain, not even the needle that seeped the poison into my skin. It gave me an appeased feeling, took all of the pain that I had bottled up inside of me from the love she gave me.
         I created a world for myself where she was everywhere so I would never miss her. I remind myself of the arguments we went through where I would give anything to never see her again, and now that I literally can never see her again, looking into her eyes is all I want. Anyways, I created a world where everything I seen had her in it. I hated the color yellow and yet now when I see a dandelion or the sunshine, she pops into my head. That's what she's good at, popping into my head. 

Alex’s POV
          Her long blonde tailbone length hair shined like a clean diamond in the sun. She was always beautiful, I have never seen an ugly side of her, not even with her face buried in my shirt after a long day with mascara from her running eyes on my sleeve, not even after her leaning over a nasty club toilet with my hands gripping her hair back, not even then, not ever. Every time I looked at her, all I seen was light and a girl I will love forever, no matter the case.
           We had been together for six years, sixth grade up until now, a week until senior year. We got together by chance of fate. I Alex Carter, fell in love on the spot with the beauty queen of Richfield Middle School, Crystal Worthing. Her vibrant green eyes could bring any guy to his knees and yet she chose me, the awkward but strikingly handsome class clown with the 43rd lowest GPA in the school.
          We never stopped loving each other, most newlyweds fight more than we ever had. The spark we had was never lost in translation. I remember last year, the very ending of junior year we had a pregnancy scare and she distanced herself from me but we never fought or broke apart, nothing could. She loved me and I love her.
         I bought her an opal stone promise ring, it took all of my savings from my three straight years of working at a local gas station, but the look on her face and the smile she gleamed made it all worth it. I thought we would be together forever, I couldn't imagine it any other way. We got “best couple” in the Sophomore year mock elections, that means everyone else knew how much we clicked, how much we loved each other. It was that obvious.
          After many long and sad nights of being alone once Crystal decided that six years was too long for her and that “we just need some space.” The only thing she never wanted was space. What a scary word, space. I needed to find something, a way to feel anything but sorrow and anguish. I phoned my best friend Rico for some support and he told me he was going to bring a present that will for sure help me.
         A month into the breakup I find myself spending every night with Rico. I always get high on something. Weather it be weed or blow or shooting up. I dream of her now, she's all I see when I'm sober. I try and create a sort of boundary in my head so I don't try and reach her or try and change anything that  she just won't let me.
     Crystal’s POV
It's been a month and sixteen days. I think I miss him and I've dreamt of him nearly every night. I'm happy alone, I am. I don't know how I feel anymore about it and I don't know what to do. I'm gonna write a letter and tell him how I feel, maybe writing it out will give me closure. Do I want to continue to stay alone and miserable or do I want to reconnect with the only boy I've ever loved or could I end up becoming un-happy with it again. I'll go over to his house tonight and give him the letter, still unknowing of what it will say, do I go back with him or stay alone?

2 Days Later

Crystal’s POV
It’s been a month and seventeen days. I miss him, I think. I don’t know what I want anymore, what I feel as if I need. I love him, he’s the only man I’ve ever loved and I can’t see my life without him. I sit at my computer desk in my bright yellow room, I pull out a loose-leaf sheet of paper and I begin writing down everything I think I want, everything I think will make me happy. As I write, I come to the conclusion of what I want. I know now. I finish off the letter and decide to take it to his house in a few days.

Alex’s POV
Rico brought me some more stuff, this time it is liquid in a syringe. I grab my deep purple tie from last years homecoming and wrap it around my arm, an inch away from my sweet spot on my inner elbow. I slowly climb the needle into my arm, I wince, not necessarily enjoying the pain that came with the thrill of doing drugs. I push the liquid into my arm and immediately feel at ease. My high lasts around an hour and I go to open my phone. A text comes from my notification page saying “Hey, it’s Rico. Don’t take all the hell dust haha it could kill a grown horse.” I begin to sweat. My throat closes up and I begin to panic. I start scratching at my face and tears begin to spill from my eyes. I crawl to the bathroom door and as I reach for the door knob I fall, hitting my head on the linoleum.
Crystal's POV
         I pull into his driveway, my heart racing and hands trembling. I gulp down a large amount of my nervous spit and I walk towards his door. I knock, getting no response. I enter myself, which is what I normally would have done when we were together. I walk up the stairs, calling out his name. With no answer I walk towards his room, a colossal of a mess. I open the door and look at his empty bed. Soft alternative music is playing most likely from his phone, if his phone is here, so is he. I walk towards the window seat, which I am very familiar with. I feel my foot catch onto something and I trip and fall. “Clean your room , Al” I shout. I stand up and brush myself off, I look down and to my dismay I see Alex, his skin a pasty blue and his eyes glassy and cream colored. After that I remember nothing. Only screaming and crying, also calling the police.

The Funeral

I am wearing a knee length black dress and also the opal ring. I am standing above his casket which is soon to be placed six feet under. I begin to cry, holding a rose and the note I had written to him in my hand. I say a few words to him in my head before throwing the rose in. I open the note one last time, my eyes immediately traveling to the last line. “I’ll love you forever, Al. Our love will always be vibrant, like you.”