Pulling on my Heart Strings | Teen Ink

Pulling on my Heart Strings

April 20, 2016
By Central_Rhode BRONZE, Dwight , Illinois
More by this author
Central_Rhode BRONZE, Dwight , Illinois
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
~Be the hero in your own story.~


Author's note:

Music, teen romance, what could go wrong? 

Rylie's P.O.V.   
Music. That is the one thing in this life that will always be there for me. When I play my violin nothing in this world can touch me. Just me and music dancing our way through time. I have one promise I made to myself eight months ago. I would never love anything again. It may be harsh, but that is what I have to do in order to protect my humanity.
"Rylie!" Sandra says as she waves her hand violently in front of my face.
"Sorry." I say blinking back into reality. "What were you saying?" I ask packing up my violin and putting the shoulder strap over my shoulder.
"I was saying how you should come to a party tonight. You know, dancing, wearing something other than jeans, maybe meet some guys and have some plain, good old fun. It's been eight monthe Ryles, it's time to live." Sandra says putting her arm over my shoulder while with her other hand playing with her dark red hair. Don't get me wrong, I love my best friend, but she does like to have a lot of fun.
"Look Sandra, thanks for the invite and all.." I start to say before Sandra snaps her fingers to interupt me.
"I will not take no for an answer. If you go to this one party, I promise I won't ask you to go to another for a month." She says smiling brightly.
I sigh and cross my arms. The wind picks up and my what used to be straightened black hair is now blowing in the wind like a very bad hair commercial. "I will think about it."
"Seriously? It's friday! That's what Friday's were MADE for!" She yells after me as I'm walking down the steps.
Ty's P.O.V
"Hey Ethan, wait up!" I say running down the hall. I finally catch him waiting impatienlty by the double doors leading outside.
"Dude, you gotta say no." Ethan's half grin and sparkly eyes are telling me that he's jealous and that I don't.
"What? Girls like me man. Not my fault they fall for the guy with blond hair and dark eyes. Come on tell me, how many people have that goin for them?" I ask nudging my best friend in the shoulder.
"Alright, I guess you do have that. But in all honesty, I think it's time that you find someone who lasts longer than one night." Ethan chuckles.
"What's the fun in that?" I ask grinning and laughing back. "If I want a girlfriend, I can get one."
"Oh yeah?" Ethan asks raising an eyebrow and smirking. "Fine. How about if the first girl that I pick you have to go out with on a date. Not some kinky club, but a real actual date. Where you get to know the person." Ethan waits as I contemplate. I look up at the sky then back to Ethan. His stare hasn't lessened any.
"Okay. Deal." We shake hands and I turn toawrd the school building where most of everyone is either walking, or talking to someone. "But I pick the girl." Ethan nods and I scan the crowd. Then I see her. She's talking to another girl. Her jet black hair and her cat green eyes pull me in. Her smile resting perfectly on her soft, thin lips. Without even knowing it, a smile creeps on my face and I turn back to Ethan who is as confused as ever. I never stare at girls like that. "Her." I say pointing to the girl witht he beautiful black hair and the violin over her shoulder. "That's the one."
"You kidding right?" Ehtan asks lauging.
"What? That's the one I'm going to take on a date. It's just one date so what's the harm? She's beautiful, charming, and a great smile." I say starring.
"Dude.. Do you like her?" Ethan's mouth hangs open while he is pointing at her.
"DUDE. Careful where you point and no, I don't like her. I'm just saying it won't be completely awful."
"Whatever. Why don't I go up and see if she is available?"
"Ethan, you are a lifesaver." I say sarcastically.
"You'll thank me one day." He says and off he goes up the stairs as I lean against the building and hope that Ethan doesn't screw this up.

Rylie's P.O.V.
"Why are those guys pointing at me? Why are they starring?" I ask to Sandra who is not even paying attention to the situation.
"What are you talking about? What guys are you.."
"Those guys!" I say turning her head real quick so that they don't notice. The corners of her mouth curve in a devious smile.
"OH those guys. Well, that one, she says nodding to the shorter one with brown hair. "That's Ethan Manson. He's the ever faithful sidekick to him." She says now nodding to the other guy. My shoulders tighten and my heart beats faster when I see him. "That is Ty Winders. He may be pretty, but he's trouble." Sandra pouts her lips and crosses her arms. "His idea of a girlfriend is a one-night stand. Not boyfriend material honey so don't go wasting your time."
"I wasn't going to I'm just saying they're both starring and it's freaking me out." Then I feel a light tap on my shoulder and I hear Sandra mutter under her breath,
"Oh boy."
Hey, I'm Ethan.. And you are?"
I tighten my grip on my violin and take in a deep breath. "I'm Rylie." I quickly glance at Sandra who is looking him up and down judging his every move. Thank God she's here.
"Would you like to hang out tonight with my friend Ty tonight?" He throws on a sloppy half grin while pointing  to Ty who is leaning against the wall watching us. His dark eyes match mine and I quickly look away before getting sucked in. "No love Rylie. You can't."
"Uh. Well, if it's just casual. I'm really not looking for anything... Um.."
"Committment? No that's not it. Just a friendly outing with you and my friend. You in?"
I look one more time at Ty who is now standing with his arms crossed with his lips drawn into a straight line. I look back to Ethan and smile. "Sure."
"Great. He will pick you up at eight." And he starts walking back down the stairs when I yell to his back.
"Tell him to pick me up here." I say yelling. Ethan gives me a thumbs up and then rejoins Ty. I watch them as they walk down the sidewalk while Ethan explains the conversation.
"What have you gotten yourself into?" Sanda asks slowly. Narrowing her eyes at the guys.
"I don't know."

RYLIE’S P.O.V.
Okay, do you ever get those feelings that tell you that something is going to go wrong? The feeling starts deep in your bones and works through your entire body; that’s me right now. I know his reputation and I know he is the COMPLETE opposite of what I think of someone that I would ever talk to, but whenever I think of him, my hands sweat and I lose track of thought. “He’s bad Rylie. This is NOT a date.” I think to myself while straightening my hair. The wind pretty much decimated my hair earlier.
“Anybody here?” I hear Sandra calling from the front door.
“Up here!” I yell through my doorway.
Sandra comes up the stairs whistling. “Wow. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say that someone was trying to look nice for somebody.” She says with a raise brow and a humorous smirk. Her red hair is now puled into a ponytail but you can still see the curls that were there earlier.
“No, I’m not. This is not a date and besides I don’t even know where we’re going. I just got a text saying to meet him at the school at seven. How did he get my number by the way?” I turn to Sandra and her face is guilty as ever. “You gave him my number? Are you out of your mind! Now he has…” My voice trails off. I turn my back to Sandra and face my mirror. What little makeup I put on is shining at me in my reflection.
“I’m sorry Rylie but he called me and would not hang up without it and my parents were getting upset because a guy would not leave me alone. My only option was to cave in. Besides, I really don’t think he would ever call you for anything.” She says laughing.
“Oh thanks. I feel loved.” I chuckle back. My black hair runs down my shoulders and for a split second, I try to picture myself other than Rylie Harper the violin girl who never does anything fun. Nope, not there.
There’s a silence but is quickly intercepted by my phone ringing. I jump on my bed and answer it. “I don’t recognize the number.” I say staring at my phone screen.
“Answer it!” Sandra shrieks.
I suck in a breath and say, “Hello.”
“Hey, this is Ty. I was just calling to make sure that we were still on for tonight.” His voice is smooth and low.
“Yup. Speaking of which, where are you taking me?” I ask with a playful voice.
“Oh no. I’m not falling for that.” Ty says laughing.
“Falling for what?”
“You getting me to tell you what we are going to be doing. Not happening. I’ll see you in a bit.” Then he hangs up.
“Well, that was interesting.” Sandra says grinning. “Maybe he does like you.”
“No he doesn’t.” I say climbing off my blue comforter bed and going into my closet to find something to wear. “At least he better not.” I mutter under my breath.

TY’S P.O.V.
Her voice is silky and warm. As I talked to her on the phone, I started forgetting about my past and started to only think about right now. And in this moment, I was thinking of her. Rylie. “I’ll see you in a bit.” I hang up in hurry.
“So, is it still on?” Ethan asks walking in my room with his blue backpack slumped over his shoulder and a beanie draped on his head.
“Yeah.” I say sharply.
“What’s going on? What did she say? Did you make her mad already?” Ethan asks playing with his phone.
“Ethan, why did you do this to me?” I ask while sitting on my desk chair thinking about that brief conversation. Every time I hear her voice everything soars. I feel a force pulling me to her. But I know that I can’t let her in. If I do, who knows what will happen to her. If I like her, I will keep her away from me, or at least my true self; because that guy isn’t worth life.
“Do what? What did I do I literally JUST got here.” Ethan says jumping on my bean bag chair that I never sit in. I keep it for Ethan.
“You chose a genuinely nice girl for me to go out with.I cannot hurt her.” I say chewing on my finger nails. It’s a habit that I’ve had since I was four. It’s how I deal with nerves and when I’m under pressure. I run my fingers through my hair and breath heavily. “How did things get so screwed up?” I think to myself. I’m not looking for a relationship, I don’t want it.
“Dude, that was the plan. To get you to realize that there are amazing people out there. You just have to…” His voice trails off and his eyes dart across the room so he can avoid me.
“Have to what?” I ask feeling intruded.
“Feel like letting someone in. Loving life and loving people.”
“I don’t want a relationship.” I say raising my voice. I then hear my mom downstairs so I quiet my voice. “Relationships are for people who want commitment. That’s not me.” I narrow my eyes.
“I’m not telling you to marry her, just talk to her. I think you do want it, you’re just scared. Because of your..”
“Well, at least it’s just one date right man?” I ask smirking and winking at my friend cutting him off from finishing his sentence.
Ethan smiles and chuckles, “Yeah. I guess. But if you do like her, just be brave enough to let someone in. You might surprise yourself.” He jumps up and slaps me on the shoulder.
“No, I won’t. ” I say. “She means nothing other than a stupid bet or whatever that you’re making me do.” The truth is, I don’t know if I like her or if it’s just a weird thing going on with me, but whatever this feeling is, it’s telling me to protect her. From me.
“So, can you at least tell me where you’re taking her?” Ethan asks adjusting his hat.
“All I can say is that it’s somewhere she has never been to.” A smile comes across my face and I look at the clock. T-minus thirty minutes.

RYLIE’S P.O.V.
I get to the school and I close the passenger door. “Thanks Sandra for dropping me off.” I say starring ahead. He’s not here yet.
“No problem. I expect a phone call afterwards.” She winks and drives away.
I sit on the steps and check my phone. I’m five minutes early. “Okay, I’m not late.” I say out loud. The steps are cold but against my black jeans feel perfect. These very steps where a popular guy asked me out. Well, technically his friend did, but still doesn’t defeat the point that I’m sitting here waiting to go on a date with Ty Winders. Something off about that? I’m not going to sit here forever. I stand up and check the street one more time. No cars coming. I walk into the foyer and everything echoes. I guess we don’t notice during the dat from all the voices and lockers slamming. I make my way to the most important part of the school to me, the music wing. The door creaks when I open it and I’m greeted with many instruments and sheet music. I turn on the light and make my way over to the music stand and see a song sheet music resting on the stand. The black notes are arranged in a way of almost a dance. Each note is different but they make a coherent song. I look at the title, “Lost Boy” -Ruth B. I know the song well. Playing it yes, but singing it, I haven’t sung anything since my dad dies. I guess when he died, my voice did too. I pick up the sheet and clear my throat, “There was a time when I was alone, no where to go and no place to call home.” I forgot how singing made my heart beat in a whole other way. I’m interrupted by a voice. Smooth and crisp.
“Sounds a bit emo to me.” I jump and turn around to find Ty leaning against the door way with his arms crossed. “So, you play violin and you sing. Do you do theatre do?” the corners of his mouth goes up and mine do too.
“I was early and so I came here. The music room is kind of like my sanctuary.”
“It’s fine. I heard a voice and I didn’t realize it was you. You are a mystery Harper.” Ty says studying my face.
“A mystery?” I’ve been called many things but never a mystery. “How so?” I cock my head and lay the music back on the stand.
I turn around to Ty inches from my face. I feel his breath on my chin his presence near. My heart skips and I lose all my senses. The smell of his light cologne lingers. “See usually I can pin-point a girl in a second. But not you, you’re very…” He stops and looks down and then back to me. “You’re a mystery.” His blond hair tossed and spiked in the front. But what throws me is his dark eyes. Like he can see everything in me, good, bad, ugly.
“I’m not a mystery, I’m..” I started to retort but I stopped when I realized I was about to tell him something I can’t tell anyone. Ever. I suck in a quick breath and look in his dark eyes. Trusting them to hold on to my secret. “Damaged.” I pull away from him and his face is both confused and something different that I’ve never seen before. Compassion.
“That’s not a bad thing. It means that you aren't innocent in the bad things of this world. You get it.” Ty says. “I get it.”
“What do you mean?” I ask wanting to know more.
He quickly straightens his shoulders and holds his head high. His jaw sets tight and I know that this moment is over. “Nothing. We should get going.” He says stuffing his hands in his pockets.
We get in his car and for the first couple minutes we sit in the most awkward silence ever. “So, where are we going?” I ask. He turns his head and holds my gaze.
“Not going to work Harper.” He focuses on the road but the way he rubs the steering wheel makes me wonder what he really thinks.
“A girl can try.” I say playfully.

TY’S P.O.V
I refuse to tell her where we’re going because if she knew where we were going Rylie would back out and for some reason I don’t want her to. The way she said “damaged” tugged at me so forcefully that I didn’t know how to react. I didn’t want to hurt her, but it’s not like we’re going to give our whole life stories over one word. I didn’t want her to stop talking though. I can still smell her perfume when I was standing close to her. The lack of her presence when she pulled away made my stomach twist. I wanted her next to me. I wanted to let her in. And for the first time tonight, I smile a true and happy smile. “Let’s just say it will be a night that you will remember.” I cock my head and she pulls her fine lips in a straight line in confusion.
“Riddles really?” She says crossing her arms.
“Really.” I say looking straight ahead at the road because if I look at her again, I may not stop.

CHAPTER 3

RYLIE'S P.O.V.

We pull into a long,winding driveway and there are woods along the side. "You're planning on taking me to the woods to kill me?" I ask staring out the window.

Ty laughs. "Number three."

"Number three? What are you talking about Winders?" The corners of my mouth go up and Ty's eyes sparkle in the street lights shining through the car.

"Number three is things that I didn't know about you that now I do. See I didn't know that you played a mean violin, I had no clue you sang- which I don't think anyone does, and then you hate surprises. Three things Harper."

There's a still silence and it was then that I realize that he's been listening to everything I've said tonight. Not just hearing it like a typical guy, but really listening. I lean my head over and whisper softly, "How'd you know I play a mean violin? I could be horrible and you would never know it." I feel my heart thumping hard and at rapid beats.

"I looked you up." he slowly says. "I wanted to know if you were going to kill me." He laughs lightly. "When Ethan told me that you played I thought it was cool, but then I saw you playing in the video at Cannon's National Competition last year and I could hardly believe that was you." He stops the car and puts it in park. He turns to me and his eyes burning into mine. "You were amazing."

Never in my lifetime have I heard a guy talk to me this way. I've had guys flirt with me in the hallways and what not, but never have I heard someone call me amazing. "Be careful Winders..." I say with my head hanging low. "Damaged remember?"

Ty lifts his hand, holds it for just a second as if he might regret it, but the he put his hand under my chin and slowly lifts my head so I have to look into his dark eyes. "I'm always careful, Rylie." he holds my gaze for a few more seconds and then he climbs out of the car. Ty walks around to open my door and reaches for my hand. He sees my worried look and rubs it gently.

"Trust me, it's easier to come to these things when it looks like we're together." He says and smiles weakly.

"So, where are we?" We make a left and there stands a three-story beautiful house resting on a hill. All lit up with lights and a bonfire in the middle of the lawn. "A party." I say taking it all in.

As we make our way through the crowd I see Sandra drinking out of a plastic cup and talking to some guy that is probably older than she is. "Hey girl you made it... With Ty." She says almost disappointed.

"Hey Sandra." Ty says with an exhale. "I see you're not wasting any time." He nods toward the guy the Sandra was talking to.

"Of course." She shrieks. "He's cute isn't he?" She whispers to me and nudges me in the arm.

"Very." I say not paying attention.

"I'm so glad that you like him Sandra, I'm sure I will hear all about it tomorrow." Ty's devious smile tells me he is messing with her.

"What are you talking about frat-boy?" Sandra flips her red hair and the curls beautifully flow down her back past her shoulders.

"See, that guy you are talking about, he is actually a frat. guy, in fact, he's my brother Steven. And this is his party. So MY question to you is how did you score an invitation here because other than me and Rylie, no other high schoolers allowed." Ty says cocking his head waiting for a retort.

"Well, me and Steven met last week and I got an invite." She let out a dramatic yawn and outstretches her arms, "Well this has been fun, see you two at school tomorrow." She Sandra quickly struts back to Steven who is giving her a flirty smile and handing back her cup.

"So, Sandra was right when she said that you like to party. I'm such an idiot." I start walking back to the woods and away from Ty and the college people. This isn't me, I'm a music nerd, not this other person that he would turn me into.

"Rylie! Rylie wait up!" I hear Ty yell behind me. I hear his strides coming from behind and I know he will catch up with me soon.

I run into the woods and decide to find a quiet place to think. The moss covered trees and the mist rising from the ground tickles my skin. I still hear Ty coming so I take a step and I forget that I have heels on and I trip and begin falling downward. Dirt is covering my arms and I scratch my face on a branch. "Ah!" I yell in pain from the stinging coming from the cut. I can't see where I'm going and I can't control it. I can't find anything to hold on to. I keep rolling down into the moss and the wet grass making me slide. My leg bangs against a tree and then I can't feel my leg. It feels numb. I try to shake it awake but I can't get a good look at it because I'm still rolling. Then, I see a tree coming, I'm headed straight for it! "Oh God no." Total blackness.

TY'S P.O.V.

What the heck just happened? I thought we were starting to.... Connect. I am such an idiot! I was forgetting about not liking her, I was letting her in; and look what happened, she got hurt. Noe she's in the woods somewhere probably wondering why she's even here. All because I was a prideful, selfish person that couldn't say no to a dare. Now I've screwed everything up. I have to find her, even if it's just to drive her home and she never speaking to me again. Just as long as she's safe I don't care about anything else. "Rylie!" I yell walking through the dark green, misty woods. The air is thick and the smell of wet dirt is overwhelming. I thought I saw her go through here. Maybe she went east. I make my way through some brush when I see her purse laying on a log. She was definitely here. "Rylie answer me!" I yell louder. She can't just leave. It's miles away from town. The thought of her having to get a ride from some other college guy makes a bile taste come to my mouth and it makes me sick. I will not leave her here.

I walk a few more feet until I see something odd. "What the..." I pick it up to take a closer look at it and immediately know who's it is. "Rylie's shoe." I say under my breath. "Rylie! Answer me!"

"Ty.. I'm here." Her voice is weak, but I heard it.

"Where are you?" I ask scanning the whole area surrounding me. Nothing.

"Look down." She says. I do what she says then I see her.

I run down the hill, slide from the mist covered grass but hold on to trees as I pass them. Mud stains my jeans and I think a twig snagged my head but I barely notice. "Don't move I'm coming!" I yell down to the limp motionless body yards away from me. "You're not the idiot Rylie, I am." I say as I pick her up and hold her in my arms bridal style. Her head hangs low which tell me that she hit her head and has been in-and -out of consciousness. I climb back up the hill careful not to trip on tree roots that are sticking up from all angles.

When I get back to the house Steven runs over to me noticing that something is wrong. "What happened?" He asks looking her over. He's not being pervy he is actually in pre-med believe it or not.

"I don't.. I don't know." I said out of breath. "Call 911!" I yell to the crowd and a guy who hangs out with Steven all the time dials his phone. ""Steven..." I say still holding Rylie. Steven's eyes darting all over her. I don't like where this is going.

"Don't call 911!" He yells and the friend says 'never mind everything's fine' and hangs up.

"Steven what the heck is going on?" I ask. My legs are limp but somehow I am clinging on to her. And I notice that she is clinging to me.

"Bring her in the house." He says whispering and starts walking toward the three-story house that was busting at the seems with people, now almost completely dead. "Put her on the table." Steven points to the big dining room table that probably has never been used.

"Steven, explain please." I say pleading with him trying to understand what is happening to the girl that has fired something in me. Something alive. And now I might lose her.

"Did she fall?" He asks rushing around the house.

"Uh yeah down that big hill in the woods why?" I ask not taking my eyes off of Rylie.

"And she's cut everywhere." Steven says as if he is telling himself that.

"Steven you're really freaking me out."

"They sprayed those woods Ty! And she's got cut from falling. She has extreme toxins in her body. The poison has already spread and is in her blood stream. If we don't get it out now, she'll have minutes." He turns to the counters and sorts through a box full of medical supplies.

"Until what?" I ask through my teeth. My eyes glaring at his neck. I think he felt the stare because he turned around with a serious face. A face that I have never seen Steven use.

"She'll die Ty."

I look down and bend over her. I place one hand by her shoulder and then my other by her hip. Her face peaceful and delicate. I wish her eyes were open, I would give anything to see those green eyes just one more time. "You made me feel! You brought life back! You won't die!" I yell at her frozen face.

Steven opens her shirt and puts on two round stickers on her chest. The thought of another man touching or looking at her makes me sick, even if it is my brother; but I know he is just trying to save her life. He turns on the machine and her heart rate is low but there. Steven shakes his head in disapproval and then everything stops. The only thing I hear is the steady beep of the machine.

Ty's P.O.V.


I felt her body sink into me. I felt her pulse stop. I felt her die. My chest is burning from pain and tears are falling more and more with every second. Steven is giving her CPR with everything that is in him. His sweat drops bounce on his forehead as he pushes her chest down and up. Willing her heart to beat again. "Steven.. How could this happen to me?" I ask through my teeth and my crying. "How can I lose her? She was....." I look down at her peaceful still face. I run my fingers through her black hair. The hair that was flying when I first saw her when I knew she was special. "Perfect." I say with the edges of my mouth curving.

"What time is it?" Steven asks breathing heavily. He makes eye contact with me and I look up. OUt of the corner of my eye I see Steven stab her in the chest with a needle.

"What did you just do?" I yell taking a better grip of her.

"I needed you to look away when I did it because I knew that you would freak out, just like you are right now." Steven says. "It's medicine. If I hit the blood vessel leading to her heart it will re-start it in three minutes. So what time is it?" He asks again this time with certainty.

I find a clock against the back wall. "Five til midnight."

"Okay, just have to wait til midnight." Steven says still pounding her chest.

"What happens if it doesn't work?" I ask finding some hope deep down inside me. I can't remember the last time I used hope in my life and for the first time I do, something gets hurt. Or someone I should say. Rylie, my new reason to use hope again. I stuffed it so deep that it almost hurt to bring it out.

"She'll stay dead Ty." I look at the clock again, one minute til midnight. Fifty seconds.... Fourty-five........ Thirty........ Twenty......... Ten....

"Come on!" I yell slamming my hand on the table next to her head. "You want to live! You want me! I WANT YOU!" Then I do something completely out of nature, I kiss her. I breathe into her, tasting her.

Steven stops CPR and stands straight up. He looks up to the ceiling staring into oblivion. "It's midnight Ty. We should call the cops now." He walks out of the room and leaves me alone with Rylie.

I remember how much she loved music and so I turned on my music app on my phone and turned on the song that she was singing in the music room earlier. The way her voice warmed everything inside me. The words come flooding through the speakers and I climb on top of the table and lay next to her lifeless body. Her eyes closed but I can still see her green eyes looking into the inner depths of me.

"There was a time when I was alone. Nowhere to go and no place to call home. My only friend was the man in the moon and even sometimes he would go away too. Then one night as I, close my eyes I saw a shadow flying high. He came to me with the sweetest smile, told me he wanted to talk for a while. He said, 'Peter Pan, that's what they call me I promise that you'll never be lonely,' and ever since that day... I am a lost boy from Neverland, usually hanging out with......

I felt something on my arm. I felt her chest rise. I sit up and the first thing I see are a flutter of those eyes. "Rylie? Rylie, open your eyes.. Come on, you can do this." I brush my hand over her cheek bone and press gently under her chin. "Come back to me." I whisper.

Her chest rises and fall quickly and rapidly and then she coughs. "Ty." She mutters.

I laugh and kiss her forehead. "Don't you ever scare me like that again." I say. She grabs my arms and pulls me close to her.

She coughs again. "You're sleeping on the couch Winders." She smiles. Her eyes haven't opened yet.

"Fine. Open your eyes for me." I study her face.

"I..I.. What happened?" She asks moving her head toward me following my voice.

"You were running in the woods and they sprayed toxins on the grass and so when you got cut from the falls, you were poisoned and you.. You..." How am I supposed to tell Rylie that she died and came two seconds to being gone forever?

"Ty tell me." Her voice demands an answer.

"You died." I say softly.

Her eye brows pulled into the middle of the forehead and she moves her head in confusion. "Of course." She says slowly.

"Hey, what's up?" I take her hand.

Rylie squeezes my hand and whispers, "Damaged remember?" Her mouth goes into a sarcastic smile. "If you could see them, my eyes are rolling." She chuckles but then coughs from it.

"Okay, new deal. You don't speak anymore and I will forget what you just said." I crack a half smile and she purses her lips.

"Ty, cops are... Woah she's awake? How did that happen?" Steven is smiling and he approaches the table where I am still laying on.

I jump down and grin. "She just woke up. I played music and she just, woke up." I lean forward to Steven and he turns his head to listen. "So the cops aren't needed anymore." I whisper and he nods.

"Thanks guys but she lived!" He exclaims. The cops leave and Steven closes the door.

Rylie's P.O.V*

I am starting to be more coherent to the voices around me but I still feel numb. Like I'm alive but my body isn't. Steven closes the door and walks back to the table that I'm laying on. "Okay, let's check you out to make sure that you don't go into the light." Steven winks at me and puts on gloves.

"No." I say holding my hands out to protect my self. They can't see.. They can't. "I'm fine." I say coughing again. My throat is so sore and dry I swear it's made out of sandpaper.

"I beg to differ on that." Steven says laughing. "She's a firecracker Ty." He laughs.

"I don't need you to make sure that I'm okay. I'm fine." I say again. Other than the face that I can't see anything. My eyes refuse to open. All I see is utter blackness and the voices of Ty and Steven.

I feel Ty's hand massaging my arm. "Rylie, let Steven make sure you're okay. He's good at what he does."

"No." I say.

"You could have internal damage Rylie. Come on, be smart about this."Steven says placing a hand gently on my leg.

"Let him.."

"No!" I raise my voice cutting off Ty.

"Why? If this is about being damaged that you claim to be well forget that." Ty says next to me with a bold voice. "Maybe we should take her to a hospital."

"No way, no hospitals, no nothing. A day of rest and I'll be fine."

"Oh really." Steven says sarcastically. "Then open your eyes." He says now close to me. I Imagine him standing over me with his intense hazel eyes.

"Don't.." I say.

"Don't what? The toxins could have done more damage than you think. Let me HELP you Rylie. Ty will be here the whole time."

"I kept them hidden for so long. It's..." I shake my head and I feel and single tear cascade down my cheek.

"Keep what hidden?" Ty asks.

"Help me sit up." I say slowly. I feel no movement which probably means that they are exchanging worries looks to each other. "If you don't want to fix me up then fine."

I then feel hands reaching behind my back and the push of them pulling me forward. "Okay, what's hidden?" Ty asks not removing his hands from my back. The feeling of his warm hands on my back sends fire inside me.

My head feels heavy and the world is spinning but I keep focused. I start to pull my shirt off when a Ty's arm goes over my stomach. "Look, Steven can leave if you don't want him to see."

I rest my hand on his arm and an immediate comfort covers me. "It's fine. If he's going to make sure I'm okay he's bound to see them."

"See what?"

I pull the hem of my shirt over my head and let them look at what's been taken over me for over a year. "Rylie." I hear Steven say in shock. I turn around, still with my eyes shut and show them what's in front of me. More. Going over my ribs, over my stomach, one all the way down to my hip.

"Who did this to you?" Ty asks through his teeth.

"I will leave you two alone." Steven says and I hear his footsteps go upstairs.

"Ty..I.."

"I will ask one more time, who did this?" His words coming in waves of anger.

"My dad."

"Oh my God."

"I don't know. But this is why I don't do these kind of things. He made me what he wanted me to be." I start to put my shirt back on when Ty stops me.

"You don't have to hide them." He traces his fingers lightly across me scars. I know where every single one is and he touches every single one. He kisses the ones on my neck and slowly goes down until he gets to the one that goes from my right shoulder all the way down to my left hip. His hand sliding down with the traces of the scar tissue. "How did you survive it?" His hushed voice sending chills down me.

"I forgot where I was and focused on music."

"Music is your sanctuary." he says. I can hear the smile that I 'm picturing on his face.

"This was my life. Day in, day out."

"Not anymore. I'm here now." Ty puts a hand on my face and rubs his thumb gently.

"My knight in real life armor Ty Winders."

It's been a few days and I feel completely back to normal; despite what Ty thinks. He INSISTS on taking me everywhere I go. Now, usually I wouldn't mind him being there but this is like a whole new level of protectiveness. A girl needs her space.

"Ty.. You can go home now you've been here all day." I say smiling.

"It's school Rylie we're supposed to be here all day. Nice try trying to get rid of me though." He winks and I sigh.

"I'M FINE!" I say throwing my hands at my sides while crouching on the tile floor. I lose my balance for a second and of course, Ty is under me within seconds.

"Are you dizzy? You okay?" His voice making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

"Yes Winders I'm fine." I say re-adjusting my footing underneath me.

Ty gestures toward my violin case. "Want me to.." He starts to open it when I slap his hand and he pulls back. "What was that for?" He ask waving his hand.

"Don't touch." I say eyeing him. I stand up and tune it. I pluck a string ping then I adjust the screws on the bottom. I pluck the next one, ping. I do this two more times and I notice Ty is looking at me with his eyes never leaving mine. "What are you staring at?" I finally ask while I grab my bow.

"Nothing." he shrugs.

"Oh so you normally stare at girls like that?" I say placing my sheet music on the stand.

"No..Um, It's just that.." His voice trails off and he looks down at the floor but then he slowly lifts them. "You know exactly what it's supposed to sound like. You don't need a tuner." His grin replacing his worriedness.

"Well I've been doing this a long time. I know what they're supposed to sound like." I shrug my shoulders.

I take a deep breath in and slowly nod my head to count the timing. I've never played in front of anyone before. I look to Ty who is resting his elbows on his knees, waiting for me to start. "You.. Can leave." I say slowly.

He looks up and brings his eyebrows to the center of his forehead. "I don't want to." he says chuckling. "Now are you going to play sometime? I want to see how good you really are." He smirks and sits back in the chair with his arms folded.

I narrow my eyes because I know he's making me mad at him so he doesn't have to leave. Now I have to prove him wrong just like Ty wants me to.

I suck in a breath and hit play on the CD player so that I can have a piano partner. I then slowly glide my bow across my E string and start forgetting the world around me and just play. I let my mind and body rest while I change the fingering and let the notes slide out and into the world. Ty sits up and listens intently. When it comes time for the harder part of the song I narrow my eyes at the music ready to tackle it. When it comes time I close my eyes and just let my fingers do all the work.

I finish and I smile radiantly. I feel Ty grab my hips and spin me around so now I am only an inch from his face. "That was so amazing Rylie I can't even believe it." His eyes sparkling while studying my face. "What was the name of it?" He looks at my music to find that there is no title. I don't put the title on my music because I don't want anyone to copy what I play.

"Bella's Lullaby." I say lowly.

Ty nods and looks again. "How do you remember what you're playing if there is no title on the page?" He husky voice dancing around my eardrums.

"I play it over and over, then I memorize the title. Then I remember it in my head." A small smile appears on my lips and Ty shakes his head.

"How many songs do you have in your head?"

I relax my shoulders and smirk. "Hundreds."

Ty brings a half smile and I wonder what he's thinking. "Am I in your head?" he asks carefully and so quiet I barely heard him.

"Not quite."

Ty's face looks almost disappointed and for a minute I think about taking it back and telling him the whole truth; and that is yes he is. He's all I've been thinking about. But I cannot let him in or else he could get hurt just like anybody else who has. He may not realize it, but I'm protecting him. "Why not?" He asks.

"I can't figure you out..." I look to the floor and then start putting my violin away when his hand is over mine. Stopping me from putting it away.

"Can you play for me again." he says. And for one split second I thought I saw a tear in his eye but if it was there, it's gone now.

I nod and stand back up with his hand firmly on my back. "Any requests?" I ask with a happy voice to try to lighten the mood. I'm falling for this guy and the more I try to hide it, the closer he gets to me.

"Disney!" He says laughing.

"Really? That's what you want?"

"Yes."

I nod and raise my head up to the ceiling trying to remember a disney song that I know well and then it hits me.

After I'm done playing, I look behind me to see Ty shaking his head. "What now Winders?" I say playfully.

"You're amazing." He says like he says it all the time. The comment takes me off guard and I don't know what to say.

"Um. Uh.." I can't gather any words that makes sense.

"It's okay Rylie. I just needed to say it." He stands up and kisses my temple. It burns but it's more like electricity and flames. "Let's get you home."



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


Savvy12199 said...
on Aug. 26 2016 at 11:56 am
Savvy12199, Fairview, Tennessee
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
I really love your book. I like the suspense that the book has. I can't wait to read more of your pieces. Keep doing what you are doing. You are a amazing writer.